formerly Qwest

Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

CenturyLink is a network provider for residential and business needs. CenturyLink has global services and bundling options for internet and phone plans. The company works to provide you with the right digital services for your budget and needs.

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

After convincing us that switching to Directv was the right way to save money. We switched and once the discounts were over the cost was too expensive. I paid the bill and let Centurylink know that I wanted to cancel directv. I paid the bill before cancelling and only had to pay directv the 200 dollars for early cancellation. The problem is that centurylink is still trying to charge me for directv and the bill is now up to over 700 dollars! Calls to try and straighten out the bill end in them telling me that ATT is lying and that they paid them for when I was not using the service and now they want that money from me. ATT says that is not true. I am at the end of my rope with these people. Directv is sending me proof that they did not charge me so we will see where we go from there.

CenturyLink response

Hello Sandra. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Resolution response: May 28, 2020

Issue was resolved.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My phone line never worked properly. I called on December 3, 2019 at 1013 a.m. to cancel this service. They cancelled automatic billing instead. They now want to charge me for a phone line that does not work, over two month later when I had to call a second time to get the line shut off. If I could give this company a negative star number I would.

CenturyLink response

Hello John. I am sorry that your service wasn't canceled when you originally asked for it to be. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

The company keeps charging me monthly even though I have cancelled the service. When I cancelled the service, I was told that everything was taken care and I had no further charges. Close to a month later I receive a bill for the month following my cancellation. I call customer service and they tell me that my account is closed and I won't get charged. At the beginning of the month I get charged for services that had been CANCELLED! I contact customer service again (3rd or 4th time by now) and they tell me it's a mistake and they refund me. I ask them to confirm that I won't receive any further charges. I was told they had cancelled it and I won't receive any more bills.

A month later I receive another bill, again for a service I'm not being provided anymore. I contact customer service again (4 or 5 time now) and they tell me that I have a charge for the following month and I have to pay that. I explained that I don't have internet with Century link anymore and I was told "I can't help you with that and you need to call customer retention services." I AM NOT A CUSTOMER, but I need to talk to some other department for my own money. I am handling this through my bank, but it is a horrible company to deal with. I have spend a significant amount of time just contacting customer service. It is ridiculous that I have to keep contacting customer service to be reimbursed for my money!! Use a different provider if at all possible. Even paying a bit more will be worth it in the long term.

CenturyLink response

Hello Ela. I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address your billing concerns. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have many issues with CenturyLink, it's hard to know where to start. Unfortunately for me, they are my only option for internet service. And understand I pay extra to have a business account, so these problems are even more frustrating. First is whatever closet they keep the server in, it doesn't have backup power. When we lose power, my stuff stays on because I have UPS on all my devices. But I always lose my internet because it would seem apparent they do not have their systems on UPS. Come on. We lose power several times a year.

Secondly, calling for customer support is horrible. I don't know what country they found cheap labor, but I understand only 2 out of 3 words they say, making the transaction terrible. I recently called to simply schedule someone to come out to move a phone jack for me. I was transferred 3 times, and they wanted to transfer me a fourth time back again to the previous department before I stopped them. The entire transaction took about 45 minutes to schedule.

Within the past few weeks, my service was stopped in the middle of the day with NO warning. After I couldn't figure out why, I finally called them. Once I managed to understand what the service rep was saying, it turned out THEY had a system problem and none of the auto payments went through, so their solution was to stop service and make everyone call in to update the information. Good lord. And of course when there is a problem with internet access, the first thing they make you do is reset your router before they start to see if they have a problem on their side. I've had internet issues about 5 times in the 2 years I had their service, and it's ALWAYS been a server-side problem. Keep away if you have the option.

CenturyLink response

Hello Gary we understand the frustration of having to resolve issues regarding your service, and would be happy to look into any lingering concerns you may still have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have contacted the BBB multiple times now to request that CenturyLink STOP SENDING ME JUNK MAIL. I will never, ever, ever use your product. Ever. Instead of removing me from the list, as I have requested over and over again, they simply took my name off the mail and replaced it with "Current Resident" instead. I contacted the BBB multiple times to complain, and not two months ago received a message that said I would be permanently removed from this list. Today I got another piece of trash from them. I hate you with all of my mortal soul, CenturyLink. I hope Bernie DESTROYS you.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jen. I am sorry that you are still receiving unwanted mail from us. We would be happy to see what else can be done to stop this. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

We have had CenturyLink at our new location since July of this year after purchasing our house. No tech came out, nothing, just switched the service into my name. Fast forward and internet is getting spotty. We run a speed test and down to 2mbps download. We deal with it as we still have service. Fast forward to almost a month ago. We lose all internet. I contact customer service, who then tells me it's not their fault, but my modem. No problem, order a brand new one.

New modem comes in and lo and behold no internet. Contact them again, who says it's in fact on their end, and they will send a tech out. We are now 3 weeks without internet. Appointment was set for today, and once again, no one shows up. Been on hold for more than 40 minutes with no response. Don't bother trying to reach them via their FB page either. They'll call you a liar there too that they can't find your message, when a bot automatically replied to my messages hours later. I've never seen a company care so little about their customers. I cannot wait until the class action lawsuits against this company come to fruition.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jon. I am sorry to see that you have had difficulty getting assistance with your service issues. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

It is a known fact that the landlines have ISSUES with Centurylink in my area. Police can come knocking on your door asking why you are calling 911 when you didn't as it is the middle of the night. When you say you have centurylink they ALL know it isn't you doing it. When it gets wet my connection falters. I called in that they make you go through testing for line trouble. Before a LIVE person comes on and they ask all the info AGAIN, run the test AGAIN. I called in and said can call out, can't receive calls. My mgr told me it was ongoing and I didn't even know. NOT good when your job is TRYING to reach you and it would ring then drop.

I explained this is ongoing to rep. I explained it is NOT inside and NO I don't have cordless, I have good old regular phones that WORK when plugged into my WORK landline but are now DEAD. They scheduled an appointment. I said, "LOOK, your 'contracted' tech, said the lines need repair OUTSIDE." I know inside works, it was ALL redone by landlord before I moved in. ALL new. I believe it is called a ring trip. OUTSIDE. I have done the outside box test. DEAD when plugging in the phone with NEW cord, and two phones, and NOTHING. But because they wanted to access inside they did NOTHING but leave me a new cord. Which I used in their outside box, on the line and DEAD. But when I try to call in to cancel they disconnect me-do they NOT like my cell phone I switched to, probably NOT.

It is like they won't let me get RID of a landline I am paying for but is NOT of any benefit to me. I was a loyal customer, and since I have moved here, a whole lot of excuses, promises, and NO service. But do NOT dare to not pay them, collections will be the next voice on your phone. This is ROBBERY. Price for life was a joke, all the references numbers mean NOTHING when you talk to their reps. It is just sticking it to the customer. Time and time again. Oh and I did the online self test...my phone is working NOT...Would someone from Centurylink PLEASE contact me so I can ditch the landline that isn't working PLEASE.

CenturyLink response

Hello Tesslynn. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Ordered CENTURYLINK dsl service. Had to wait almost a week for equipment to arrive. In meantime I received a email that service was completed and ready. Hooked up equipment and nothing. Called customer service and was told it would be ready by morning. Called back in morning after still no service. After 3 calls was told that tech would be out next Tuesday. This is Friday morning. Tech was suppose to already have been out. Called Corporate office. Now told that Tech hooked up wrong address. This is very bad service and then want me to wait until next week. I don't think so. I canceled the whole thing. Guess I use my cell phone for internet.

CenturyLink response

Hello Frank we're sorry to see that your initial experience with our company led you to cancel your service; if you have any lingering questions or concerns about your closed account, please let us know by reaching out to us here and we'll be glad to help.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Absolutely HORRIBLE customer service!! Called in to terminate service, as I’m moving to a place they don’t have service. I’ve paid through the day I need service terminated, and they couldn’t guarantee that my autopay for next months service wouldn’t be charged, and that if it were charged, they wouldn’t refund the amount. I asked for a supervisor, and got the run around. The customer service representative finally said he could have a supervisor return my call within an hour. Almost two hours later, still no call. I called back, and got the run around again. They finally got a supervisor on the line who parroted the same line back to me. He suggested I terminate service early, even though I’ve paid for it and won’t get a refund. There is absolutely no way I will EVER do business with them ever again. Worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. Spend your money elsewhere.

CenturyLink response

Hello Heather. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I'm just tired of this company. They absolutely gouge their customers. After complaining to CenturyLink about many things. Multiple times. About things like. "Creative billing," their criminal modem lease policy to just not very good service. And everyone of those phone calls (including the one tonight) ended in nothing but frustration. The one tonight is about the modem I purchased from them. After going around and around with customer service. After realizing I paid over $300 (at that point) to lease a modem I could have bought for $50-70. So I bought one outright from them.

Here we are a year and change later and nobody has internet in the house. Why? Customer service lady said the modem is bad. I'll have to buy another one. But I can't do that until they open tomorrow. It just seems strange to me. The one I leased lasted for years. The one I bought? Lasted a year. This company has done nothing but deliver regret and frustration. That is my experience with CenturyLink. Thank you.

CenturyLink response

Hello Mike we're sorry to see you've run into issues regarding your service recently, and that you haven't been properly assisted with getting your service fixed. We'd be happy to investigate this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

CenturyLink DSL was never a good choice. I live in the country and had only this choice of internet or satellite. It started out slightly faster than the satellite, but as more customers were added to the line service got slower and poorer. Customer service was not helpful and let us know it would not get better. We cancelled Centurylink and went back to the satellite service which is so much faster. I will never go back to Centurylink at home.

At our place of business we have the same poor service though we are in a town. Afraid to go with cable as we tried that and our numbers were exported to that service before the cables were even in the business. We were without internet and phone service for a month losing thousands of dollars in business. The cable service couldn't speed up laying of the cables. When we tried to go back with Centurylink, customer service was horrible and some of the reps were very nasty to us. Though we are with Centurylink now we are not satisfied. If you want to stream anything you will not be able to do that without constant buffering. We have very little good to say about this company.

CenturyLink response

Hello we apologize for the issues you've experienced with our company thus far, and would like to offer our assistance should you have any questions regarding your account or service. Just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Internet service has always been shody. I would lose connection several time a week, sometimes only a few minutes sometimes for over 24hrs. I switched my television service to streaming and that is when the constant connection loss became unbearable. On 9/27/2020 I called and called service, which during that call I was threatened how I would never get the great (not great) rate guarantee. The disconnection phone call took at least 30 minutes. I paid my final bill in October and then was auto charged again in November, customer care supposedly was going to again cancel my account and reverse the balance due, however they don't seem to have ever done that as I am now being threatened with collections if I don't pay them $90. THESE PEOPLE SUCK.

CenturyLink response

Hello Mike we wanted to reach out to let you know we're here to help should you have any questions or concerns regarding your closed account, and if you would like our assistance, message us here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

The most unprofessional company I have done business with in decades. I was charged $730 to add a line by laying wire on the ground to another side of my home, which I didn't authorize. I have now had 6 separate promises to receive a refund, but still haven't since my first call to them 5 months ago. Every rep I talk to has "no record of a refund."

CenturyLink response

Hello Karen. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you with your refund request. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I enrolled in Centurylink's promotion of a no-contract, price-for-life Internet service. For several months, all went well. The morning of 1/27/20, I was without Internet service. Centurylink claimed that there had been a problem with my last payment. Whatever problem existed was caused by Centurylink, which had been successfully charging my credit card, in accordance with our agreement, for several months prior. But, completely without notice, they "suspended" my account. I spent, literally, hours on the phone and through online chat (using public access) with them that day. Four times, after I answered multiple questions, they told me that I had to talk with a "simple pay" specialist and told me they were transferring me. Each of these four times, I was disconnected, not transferred. I am disgusted with this customer abuse and have canceled my Centurylink account and switched to a competitor for Internet service. I have also filed a complaint with the FCC.

CenturyLink response

Hello T. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

If you can avoid dealing with this incompetent, crooked, dishonest company, by all means do so! And if you have to deal with them about any issue, you should do it via "chat", and keep a record of the text. DON'T do it over the phone if you can at all avoid it, because anything they tell you can be completely false. The latest, and I hope my last, Century Link fiasco after 18 years with them: I was told over and over again that there would be no charge to port my phone number to Oooma (the cable phone company) after I'd cancelled it with Century Link, a process that took two days. A month later I got a bill, for an entire month's service and they tell me that OF COURSE there's a charge and there's nothing I can do about it.

I won't pay it and I'm already getting calls from people in India demanding payment. That's only that last in a long string of astounding incompetence and dishonesty that I've encountered from this company over the last year. First, about a year ago, my phone line stopped working completely, as it had done a few times before. After they repaired it, it would immediately go out again, and this happened for several weeks. Eventually I was told that the problem was with the underground line and the apartment where I live would have to fix it. I’ve listed this phone number, as well as my cell, on my business card for years, so I asked what could I do while the line was being fixed? I was told I could put the line on ‘hold’ for six months at half price and a recording would give my cell number as “Calls are being taken by…”, so I agreed.

Meanwhile I contacted the apartment office about the problem –they said they’d contact Century Link to get a bid for repair. Eventually they got back to me and told me that Century Link wouldn’t bid on a repair because the phone number was on hold! Worse, although it worked for a few weeks, Century Link stopped giving my cell number as “Calls are being taken by…” and now said “Disconnected” only. When I called I was told that they didn’t DO “Calls are being taken by…”

I really wanted to keep landline service, so after all this, when the ‘hold’ period ended and I was being billed another month at full price for a line that still didn’t work, I contacted them again about getting a bid for repair. I had to explain the situation over and over as I was shuttled from one person to another, then put on hold over and over, often with no one coming back on line. After trying this on the phone, on “chat”, by email and every other way I could think of, nothing worked and I eventually gave up and cancelled the service.

I was told then that the number still would be ‘portable’ for a couple weeks, so I bought an Ooma device, which uses cable, so I could keep that same phone number, which takes me back to where I am now, with another bill for a full month’s service that I was told that I wouldn’t have to pay. You may want very much to have a traditional landline, like I did, but dealing with Century Link is absolutely not worth it.

CenturyLink response

Hello Ken we could understand how this would be frustrating and apologize that the issues you've experienced with us has caused you to switch providers. We'd like to answer any lingering questions you may still have about your account, just respond to us here for further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I am in the Army. My wife and I move around whenever we can, as we are required to. I was recently stationed in AZ for recruiting duty for three years. We have dealt with a lot of different internet, cable and cell phone services. CenturyLink has been one of the worst internet providers, if not the worst and this is why. We lived in an apartment for the first year where we first got Century. After one year, we moved to a different apartment, 5 miles down the road. They said they didn't service our new place so they recommend to cancel our service but that they would look further into servicing our new residence.

A day later, they stated they could service it. BUT since we canceled our plan like they recommend, we had to redo our account because there was nothing they could do and could not access our previous account info. Also, the monthly fees went up, with less service. We bought their modem last year since we thought we would be with them for 3 years but since we started over they HAD to mail us another one per protocol for new users. We will have to mail it back to be refunded for the modem, even though we won't even open it and they don't need it to start service.

A week and half later the tech guy came out and said there is nothing they could do for us and to switch services. On top of it all, we had to prepay for the month of January despite paying for the month when we were told to cancel services and that unfortunately we had to forfeit the month. We were on the phone throughout the day to cancel, again, for them to say their system is down and that they have no resources to leave a note, like pen and paper, to call us back when it was back up and running.

We have tried throughout the day and nothing. They prefer you to talk to someone via texting or online chatting, but you are redirected so many times to have to keep stating everything you previously had. So not only are you frustrated, you must explain it at least another three times to get nowhere. You will also never get the same representative and each will provide you with a different answer. This has been a complete waste of time, money, and zero help with unnecessary redundancy. If you do decide to go with them, you should probably just do the opposite of what they tell you to and don't trust them. They are quick to react but are not proactive.

CenturyLink response

Hello Eric we're sorry to see this has been your recent experience with us - we could understand how it'd be frustrating. If you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reach out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I have auto simple pay that Century Link charge. Sometimes they charged my card on weekend and that will automatically send me an email indicate "payment failed". That has caused inconvenience sometimes as I really need that Wi-Fi but because it's weekend, I couldn't reach anyone. If it happened one more time, I am ready to switch.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jen, on January 27, our prepaid customer portal experienced a service disruption. Technical teams worked to resolve the issue and the site is fully restored. We apologize for any inconvenience, and if you have any other questions regarding your account let us know by responding to us here.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Internet outage almost daily, sometimes several times a day. Customer service very unprofessional, had to call every month about our bill for 4 month. Speed very slow, selling up to 40 mbps and it's never over 30. Speed is inconsistent. Jumps from 23 to 5 in seconds, horrible when trying to watch movie online. We were told it's because wires in the house and just rewired house with cat5e with straight line to the modem and no difference. If you can stay away, but if no other choice be ready to get mad about service daily. :)

CenturyLink response

Vera we're sorry to see you're having issues with your service - we'd like to investigate this further for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our assistance by reaching out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Our internet speed averages 1-2 Mbit and yet we are paying $50 a month for it. I home office, so that is completely unacceptable. We have called them many times and we average 1-2 hours, 3 forwards to other people, and being hung up on at least twice per attempt. It is nearly impossible to actually talk to a real person, let alone a supervisor. Even after creating three "service" tickets, they say none has ever been created. Customer service people are often rude or non-responsive. I can't understand such incompetence.

CenturyLink response

Hello Sherri we understand the frustration of slower speeds, and would like to offer our assistance with any account or service concerns you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Updated on 03/08/2020: I had service with this POS company. Discontinued service. Was charged an extra month. I've been trying to get my deposit back for over three months. Still getting a run around. I have filed complaints with BBB and no resolution. I have just filed a complaint with the attorney general. Next step court!!! They are the typical GREEDY. Do not use this POS company.... You will regret it. They come up with fake charges to keep as much of your money for ** service

Original Review: I had service for a year. I notified them to discontinue service. Charged me for an extra month, refused to return my deposit (account in good standing, no late payment). I returned the modem via UPS and they claim that it was never returned. Wanting to charge me $150.

CenturyLink response

Hello Bryan. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Recently I moved to small community. I was told Centurylink had a great deal. 45 a month plus 10 a month to lease modem. After the hookup we noticed right away we couldn't do anything online. I called Centurylink. They said we were on the strongest internet in our area. A week later a contacted some other internet companies and was able to get fast, efficient high speed internet. I cancelled centurylink. They told me to send back the modem and I would be charged one month service I assumed 45 + 10 for modem lease.

Fast forward 2 months later I get A bill for $271!!! They tell me there was 100 hookup charge 45 monthly fee 66 for high speed internet, plus all kinds of misc other charges! We never even had internet! And we had centurylink for less than a month. Now if I don't pay they are sending me to collections. That's basically the only contact I have had with them. I understand that I may live in an area where service is not great. But why take advantage of me? If it doesn't work don't sell it and don't overcharge for nothing! I would not recommend this company to anyone. Terrible, terrible customer service and policies!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Dena. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I am a psychologist who was using the virtual receptionist/call manager system thru the control center. It unexpectedly stopped sending me messages although people could leave them. The voice mail is now full with messages that I could not hear or delete. I notified CenturyLink about a week ago and still no repair. I terminated the service. It is unacceptable to have a system that takes messages that cannot be heard.

CenturyLink response

Hello Sheila we're sorry to hear that you are no longer a customer of ours, and that your recent experience with us caused you to leave our company. If you have any questions regarding your closed account, let us know if you'd like assistance with that by responding to us here.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

So far this morning, starting at 7:00am I started receiving spam calls. One called twice, one called three times. Total before noon, keep in mind 5 hours, I got 9 calls. I've reported it to CenturyLink, they gave me call reject that doesn't work. Then they say, "Sorry, we have nothing else for you because you are in Colorado and Colorado doesn't allow it."??? I have a two severally handicapped people in my home that either misses important calls for fear of answering the social security number being suspended. Or else, they lose calls because of spam calls coming in. I've requested help since there is a life alert button here, but get the same excuses.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lee Ann. I am sorry about the problems you are having with spam calls. I understand how frustrating and life impacting these calls can be. We would be happy to see how we can help. Just let us know if you'd like our assistance by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I've used Centurylink link for several years and never had any major issues with their service until this past year. Over the last year I've had multiple instances where I've lost or had poor Internet connectivity issues that have lasted for over 48hrs. The customer technicians on the phone have not been any help and neither have the technicians they have sent to my house to troubleshoot the issue. At this point I'm ready to switch Internet providers.

CenturyLink response

Hello S. we're sorry to see you've been having issues regarding your internet - we'd be happy to take a look into this issue for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

To whom it may concern: My family has been held hostage by CenturyTel's slow internet and CUSTOMER service since 1999. I would like to tell you my most recent centurytel experience in hopes that maybe someone who has another internet option will not choose centurytel. Our internet went out Friday night. We called first thing Saturday morning 1/18/2020 and were told “there is an outage in your area.. BUT good news the tech was already in our area and it would be restored by 5:30pm.” I immediately messaged my neighbors on our neighborhood FB page and was surprised to hear their internet was not down. Sunday afternoon we called again. 1/19/2020... this time we spoke to someone named Martin. He proceeds to tell us the Internet was not down (and he would “report” the person for giving us false info????) ...BUT he proceeded to tell us the reason our internet was not working was bc our account was suspended.

I knew that was not possible bc I was looking at my bank account and the bill is on auto pay and it went through 1/14/2020 and for the past 20 years I doubt you’ll find one late payment. Martin advises us to call back Monday. We do and are then told by Tiffany there are no notes about our calling at all over the weekend. We ask to speak to supervisor. She passes us on to someone named Blue (like the color). Come to find out he is also not a supervisor. He then forwards us to Bernadette who we give the whole run down to once again. She magically sees some notes and apologizes. Said she would make sure it was taken care of but also lets us know we would not be followed up with and she would credit us 15 days on our account.

On my own without any of the prior people mentioned I scheduled a service tech. The tech was scheduled for today 01/21/2020 between 8:00am and 5:00pm. So we made sure our 20 year old daughter was home for them to come in. I get my first text at 11:43 saying the tech would be here at 11:40... then another at 1:06pm saying service was completed and another text at 1:40 saying he was on the way. (Again). I repeatedly spoke to my daughter who was looking for the tech. Imagine my surprise when I come home at 3:30 to a note that says they were not able to come inside and check the modem bc of no access to house/yard/business.

The Internet is now working but the job is not complete bc he was too lazy to knock on the door and come in and check the modem?! I’m frustrated that I can still be surprised at the terrible customer service and follow up. The ONLY reason we and many others even use Centurytel is bc there are currently no other options except Hughes Net but their reviews are worse than centurytel's.

CenturyLink response

Hello Tina, we could understand how these situations would be frustrating, and apologize for any inconvenience you were caused. We'd be glad to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I went to CenturyLink's website to see what packages they offered. Their site showed for my address a 100Mbps and a 60Mbps option, both for the same price and the 100Mbps showed that it would require Tech Support for the install but the charges would be waived. A chat window appeared so I discussed the options with the agent. She never mentioned the 100Mbps option and pushed to get me to order the 60Mbps option even saying "you can trust me", an obvious red flag. When I asked about the 100Mbps option she said it wasn't available, even though it was shown on their website. I asked if I got the 60Mbps service could I just upgrade to the 100Mbps service when it was available at the price they were advertising. In her response she did not answer my question. When I pushed for an answer she said that it would be at the rates at that time.

When later I reviewed in more detail the plans it appeared that the "for life" price is good only if you make no changes to your service. That meaning upgrades, changes to your billing and others which were a little illusive. Before you get a plan make sure you ask all your questions and be sure you get a definitive answer. Read everything very carefully and ask questions about anything that is not clear. DON'T BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN TRUST THEM'. Not saying that their plans are not good. Just be sure you know what you are getting into beforehand.

CenturyLink response

Hello Dale we wanted to reach out to let you know we're available to help answer any questions and address any concerns you may still have regarding our services. Please message us here for further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I wanted to get a higher internet speed so I went through the trouble to get someone to be at my home (I was about 1,000 miles away) and schedule an appointment, CenturyLink sent someone to my home that didn't seem to know what or how to perform the work. After about 5 hours, he left and NOTHING worked. I had to contact the repair department to get someone to come out and fix what he had broke. If this cannot be fixed, I will be converting over to Comcast and reporting CenturyLink to the PUC. What is sad is that I'm a retiree from USWest/Qwest/CenturyLink and I never would have thought service was this bad.

CenturyLink response

Hello R. we're sorry to see there were issues regarding your service installation, and would be happy to look into this further for you. Just let us know if you'd like our assistance by reaching out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I've been with CenturyLink since I quit Xfinity about 5 years ago. I've never had an issue with my internet until January 15th when it just stopped working. I immediately got on the phone with someone from technical support and she was lovely and walked me through troubleshooting the modem. However, nothing was working and all I kept seeing were 2 red DSL lights (I have fiber) and a blinking WiFi icon on my modem.

She placed in a request for a technician to come out but nobody was available until Friday, January 17th (today) between 1:30 pm and 5:30 pm. At 5:00 pm today I decided to call CenturyLink again and ask about the status of my repair service as the tracking status said it was complete and/or canceled. The person on the phone said that sometimes they'll come and fix the box outside (I live in an apartment building) and not have to come in. EVEN THOUGH I was told that someone needs to be home. Then I was placed on hold... by the end of the call I was on the phone with this person for about 46 minutes!

He scheduled ANOTHER technician to come by but since it's the weekend now they won't be able to come by until Monday, January 20th. I asked if someone can come tomorrow because now it'll be over 2 days without internet. He said "sometimes" if the technicians are in the area they might contact you and stop by? Seemed very unprofessional and inconsiderate because now they are asking me to basically be on stand-by if I want quicker service.

After that phone call, I called in again to ask for a credit on my account since I will be out of service now for a week. I told the billing guy why I was calling and he responded so quickly that I was unable to comprehend what he said and all of a sudden I was transferred to technical support, again. However, this time I was transferred to the DSL support team and not the FIBER support, which apparently my I am. Little did either of us know that until the end of our 20 min call.

He then transferred me to the correct support team and then I got dead air so I hung up. I waited a few minutes to decompress and get some more energy and called CenturyLink AGAIN. I got a very nice lady on the link who walked me thru ANOTHER troubleshoot session. Same one I did on Wednesday, but she did an extra step to ensure and still nothing works. I also asked her to ensure that someone is still coming out on Monday, 1/20 and she said in her system it looks like it was canceled due to billing issues?! No idea how or why that happened but good thing I asked. She was also perplexed as to why it was cancelled.

Then, she re-issued another service ticket for Monday, January 20th as there's a major programming issue going on. However, I have yet to receive an email confirmation for that date and time frame. So who knows if anyone will show up again. My friend who lives a few blocks away from me is also experiencing WiFi issues with CenturyLink and had a very similar experience with customer service today. However, SHE was able to get someone to come out tomorrow morning (Saturday). I guess I just had to be meaner about it?

Overall, customer loyalty apparently doesn't matter anymore and customer service doesn't exist anymore. I work from home and rely on internet as a means to do business and now this is effecting my livelihood, which nobody showed any compassion for on the phone. I've worked in customer service for many years and there is NO WAY I could get away with any of this at the jobs I had or, for that matter, sleep well at night knowing that I'm not doing what I can do alleviate these, what I'm assuming are, simple issues.

CenturyLink response

Hello Golnaz, we are sorry to see you're having difficulty with our service, and getting the issues resolved via our Repair team. We'd be happy to keep an eye on your ticket for you, and answer any questions you may have - just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I contacted them and they made me make a deposit. I did agree to have their internet and they never sent me the router and deadline for weeks. Never installed!! I get a good deal and faster internet with local Goldendale company the same day, we do need it ASAP and they never took care of it. I contact customer service to get my money back And cancel. They put me on hold for hours and transfer me to each other representatives And pretending don’t heard me over the phone. Never sent my deposit money. Don’t waste time and money on a bad customer service company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Armando. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

CenturyLink had been a decent company for the last 15 years we were with them. There were frequent internet outages for a period of time that became frustrating but that had finally been resolved earlier this year. Everything was finally running smoothly until this past September when I was doing an account review and the Century Link rep suggested that I could get faster internet and lower my bill. I agreed but yes, I should have known that was too good to be true. That sent off a ripple effect of internet not working followed by phone lines switched, missing, reappearing, missing again, etc. I cannot even count the number of phone calls I made or service reps or technicians I talked to since then. Hours wasted on the phone when I should have been working. Most recently, I have not had my business phone working at all SINCE MID DECEMBER!! I've lost dozens of leads equating tens of thousands of dollars in lost business.

The ONLY reason I tried so desperately to get this resolved and didn't just switch carriers was that I will lose two email addresses the moment I switch to another company. With all the lost phone calls, I can't afford to just give up my business email also without some warning to my customers. I cannot begin to express my frustration at the incompetence of Century Link's people. How hard is it really to get a single phone line operating again?? Every rep I've spoken to promised me my situation would be resolved within a day or two but NOTHING has been corrected with the latest problem after a month. Such a terrible way to treat a long time loyal customer!

CenturyLink response

Hello Tami, we're sorry to see you're having difficulty with our phone service, and getting the help necessary to resolve the issue for your account. We'd be happy to look into this further for you, just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here.

CenturyLink Company Information