3.2/5 (449 ratings)

About Boost Mobile

Boost Mobile Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boost Mobile?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boost Mobile?

Original review: July 26, 2021

I'm a really big fan of my Motorola Moto G Power 2021 and think of it the same way as Yo Gotti & Gucci Mane when they say, "...now that's a 5-star **!" Unfortunately, Boost Mobile won't unlock my Moto Power 2021 which I paid for flat out 6 months ago with cash. Boost claims that if you purchased your Motorola Moto 2021 from Boost less than 1 year ago, they won't unlock the phone until that 12 month period is over. At which point this phone will basically be very old news and useless as it's not 5G. Also meaning that since I don't have a job, I don't have money to buy a new phone, nor do I want to purchase a new phone having just purchased this phone 6 months ago.

I simply want them to release me after my near 2 years of service as a loyal customer in good standing having never been late on a bill and never having been IN-THE-REARS in any way shape or form... although I think we could all name 1 large money-grubbing, soul-stealing succubus here who enjoys every minute "IN-THE-REARS'.

Now, let's get into Boost, the masters of trickery & TOMFOOLERY! I bought this phone while not having a job thinking it would be a good purchase that would last me as long as I needed it to while still maintaining pretty good service which I would rate at a solid B+ rating AT THE TIME. I have no idea what happened to Boost & I've read this many other places during the past couple months, but the service went from being so cheap for the amount of data and features to being more expensive than any comparable service that uses other mobile company's towers & screws you over with extra fees or misinformation at every opportunity.

Over the past 3-4 months, I've had more bad experiences than with every other carrier I've had over the past 16 years COMBINED!! And trust me, that's saying A LOT after the bull I've gone thru with both Verizon & AT&T. My last 7 out of 8 calls to support have either ended in disappointment due to some clause on my contract written in .5 point font OR where I was just given straight misinformation about a feature I pay for.

For example, I called last week while trying to figure out if I needed to add a data pack because my home internet was out and I was quickly running out of hotspot data. I contacted support thru chat and asked a fairly simply question, "If I run out of hotspot data, will my hotspot just stop working or will it will work, but at really slow speeds of 2G or less?" To my surprise, the agent said no, that it wouldn't just shut off, but instead no longer be 5G speed, reverting to a very slow 2G speed or less. I was so surprised that I asked the agent 2 more times just to be certain, to which he/she responded with the same answer.

Now, fast-forward about 2-3 hours after all Boost support has left the office/phones for the day (which is another absolutely ridiculous thing for a mobile carrier to only offer 12-hours of support per day) and all of a sudden I lose my internet connection on my laptop, tablet & my Motorola Power G 2021 and a message displays in my browser on the Moto Power saying something to the effect of, "You have used all your allotted data. Please purchase more in your account on BoostMobile.com". Ok, so homeboy the support dude lied to me.. I'm sorry, 'misinformed' me, which in itself pissed me off for sure, but not the end of the world.

Until, I was hit with Boost's 'Surprise #2' when I simply tried going to BoostMobile.com to log into my account and purchase a 2GB data pack. Apparently, when you run out of hotspot data, that also means you run out of regular mobile data. Now this is what really pisses me off since I am still unable to find anything explaining this written ANYWHERE in any of Boosts agreements or plan details. In fact, when I signed up for my plan I'm 100% positive it said that when I run out of mobile data, it just slows down to the 2G or slower data just like 95% of all other carriers do. Well, since my internet was out and nobody was home at Boost Mobile, I had to drive down the street to a closed Target to hop on their WiFi just to purchase a data pack.

Oh yea and here comes the good part. Since nobody was 'home' at Boost, my data pack wasn't processed until the next day at 5:15am when I made a point to call and process it ASAP so that I could finally use my internet again. UUUUUGGGHHHH I could keep going on and on with stories to fill a long, historically accurate memoir about only these past 3-4 months of my life and comprised of 80% horrible Boost Mobile stories, but I digress.

I'm currently in the process of trying to leave Boost, but they say that since I purchased my Motorola Moto 2021 less than 1 year ago, they won't unlock the phone meaning I can't take it with me to a different carrier and since I don't have a job, I don't have money to buy a new phone, nor do I want to having just purchased this phone 6 months ago. MORAL OF THE STORY: GET THIS PHONE, BUT WITH A DIFFERENT CARRIER!!

Original review: July 20, 2021

I ordered a second phone and had to pay 21.00 for activation fee. To me this is a ripoff. The company is shady and I'm using them cause I have no choice. But Boost mobile is not a good company and when you call their toll-free number it takes hours to get someone live.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Bought a new phone from Boost Mobile, swapped service using the same plan, now I have no service to either phone. Have spent hours on the chat line trying to resolve the issue with no results, two trips to their store which yielded no results, four calls to their helpline resulted in a lot of promises to resolve the issue, a promise that they would call back in 24-48 hours, none of which ever happened. I have not had service for 25 days and counting, they will not allow me to return the phone nor will they unlock it, they have threatened to confiscate the money in my account ($208) even though they are not providing any service for the phone I bought from them. Have had service through Sprint for over 14 years, was forced to migrate to Boost several years ago, this is how they treat their long term customers.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I have an unlimited data/text/talk plan. But about a week before my payment date arrives somehow I run out of data. I called customer service who told me I have to purchase more data. I told her no, I pay for unlimited already. I was transferred back and forth to other representatives who would not help me. I asked for the supervisor and was placed on hold for 45 min. Then they hung up on me. I called back and asked for a supervisor. I was then placed on hold again for 45 min and was hung up on again. Worst customer service I have ever had with a phone plan... EVER!

Original review: July 9, 2021

I use to have nice great service and could be able to text to any international destination for the whole unlimited plan. Can't do it now, a text pops up saying message blocking and I pay extra $10 IC.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I choose to do business with companies that value integrity and customer satisfaction. After my phone was stolen 10 days after initial activation, I was DENIED ENTRY into a different Boost store due to no mask, among other flat refusals to assist me in any way, so I went next door to Metro PCS and signed up. After repeated calls to Boost regarding the unacceptably rude representative and carrier switch resulting in unused data and 20 days of Boost Service I was told I had to have USED LESS THAN 164MB OF DATA, LESS THAN 15 MINS OF PHONE TIME, AND MADE LESS THAN 15 TEXT MESSAGES to even have 50$ refunded to my card (I had prepaid for 30 days of service, 15GB hotspot, unlimited data) despite the fact their representative had cost me a day of travel time and the cost of a new phone and activation with Metro PCS. My only option was to dispute the charge with my bank, which I didn't dispute, and ultimately would be a waste of time and result in failure. Zero integrity. Zero customer care. Zero stars.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Started the process to port my phone to another provider, it was checked out multiple times by myself and an associate of the company I was moving to. The phone was eligible for the transfer. Received the sim card from New provider and started the transfer, once I put the card in the phone, it read as an invalid card. Boost had locked the phone. Many hours later with customer service I was told multiple reasons that it had been locked, first I was told that it had been requested to be locked because I was in the military and about to be deployed. I've never been in the service! Now I've already transferred my number to the new provider and have no service to the phone. 72 hours I've been told to watch for an email, and maybe they will be able to send me an unlock code. Absolutely terrible service provider and customer service/support!

Original review: July 7, 2021

I tried 17 times to pay my bill, and it failed. They then compromised my personal information asking for social security number, birthdate, etc... something the alleged supervisor told me they should have never asked for. I tried to go-to the Boost Mobile store twice today, and was even late for work trying to pay this stupid bill. They told me to call my bank, I called them twice and both times my bank said they were not blocking information, it was Boost preventing payments. I have reported this company to the FCC, I'm so done. I shouldn't be this frustrated over a phone bill. I was then told I'd have to wait 24 hours to make a payment (Really?) Good luck with this crappy company.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I purchased a phone on June 5, 2021 and forgot about what all phone companies do is the day you purchased your phone is the due day every month and didn't realize I don't get funds before the 5th of every month it's after the 5th. I called them back in June of 2021 explaining the situation. The agent whose name not mentioned said that I can pay on the day I get funds that that would be my original pay day for Boost and was not worried. Little than you know Boost cut my service then wanted to change plans all together.

What I don't like is they don't ask people no questions at providers stores for people who work and need a phone on or before funds arrive. If Boost would ask these questions I believe it will prosper more than having people keep getting to pay more. It's ridiculous. So anywhere I go now it's going to be the same thing. You buy a phone before payday when you need it, get stuck with a phone no service and what else gets me they apologize too darn much and are liars.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I didn't want to give any stars, but I didn't have a choice. Boost Mobile used to be a great company. Good value for low price. Then, they got bought out by DISH Network I believe. In June I qualified for the EBB program through Boost and was approved. Following the steps from the email I received, I tried to activate the program on the website, but it wasn't working so I decided to use the live chat to help me. Together we put my account on the EBB program. So I thought. A month later (today) my service was shut off. I tried to call Boost but just kept getting sent back to the main menu in a ridiculous round-robin of "press this button". Finally I decided to try the live chat again. What fun that was!

I was told that I was supposed to sign up for the $50 plan in order to be able to access the EBB program but if I signed up for the $50 plan BEFORE I signed up for the EBB plan (hint: I didn't) then I would have to pay an extra $15 to bring the plan up to $50 before I could access the $50 plan that I didn't know I had to sign up for. When I explained that I had the $35 plan this very helpful person said but you have to have the $50 plan to be on EBB and since I now had to upgrade to the $50 plan I had to pay before I could be on the EBB plan. Are you confused yet? Welcome to my world.

So, apparently the first person who signed me up for the EBB plan used my re-boost number to pay for the $35 plan and didn't put me on the $50 plan in order for it to be EBB eligible and then told me I was enrolled in EBB and yay! Everything was all set. All I needed to do was install the new SIM card they were sending me and all would be well. Got the SIM card. Installed the card. Got an email saying the installation was incomplete. Called Boost. Got an actual person! He walked through it and said, "Oh yes, your SIM card is set up and you're all set." I asked, am I enrolled in EBB? Yes.

Today, I spent over an hour on the phone with THREE different representatives at Boost. Every one of them knew nothing about how EBB works and continually repeated back to me exactly what I just told them. They kept asking me if I was eligible for EBB despite me telling them numerous (to the point of ridiculousness) times that I had already applied, I had already been approved and I had already set up the EBB account with the person in the live chat. This seemed to confuse them for some reason. Finally, the last person that I spoke to told me I had to complete the steps by going to a specific page on their website and follow the steps. I went to said page while she waited. It was the application page for EBB.

Before this point I had repeatedly asked her to escalate my call since she clearly didn't understand what I was telling her. She told me that she was the highest I could go. After she sent me to the website and we went through it together and she realized that, oops, that was the application page, she told me she would have to escalate my call, that it would take up to FOUR DAYS for them to get back to me and, (and this is the best part) to keep my line open. Keep my line open. My phone line that I can't make calls from because they shut off my service. Keep that line open. So, because Boost Mobile screwed up to begin with, I have no phone service and I won't have phone service for up to 4 days. You might be saying, well so you go without a phone for a few days. I work from home. Using my phone. I'm looking into other phone companies.

Boost Mobile author review by ConsumerAffairs

Boost Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint and is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. The company was founded in 2000 in Australia and New Zealand and became available in the United States the following year. It offers unlimited prepaid cell phone service for smartphones.

• Boost Dealz: Customers who download and use the Boost Dealz app from the Google Play store can receive a $5 discount on their service each month. The app plays videos and shows ads every time the phone is unlocked. If users regularly view ads, they receive the discount.

• Data packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data can buy data packs when they exceed their high speed data limit. Data in data packs is available for 30 days, and prices start at $5.

• Incoming calls/texts on unpaid accounts: Boost customers who have not paid their monthly service charges can continue to receive incoming calls and text messages for 60 days.

• Features: All Boost Mobile plans include call waiting, voicemail and three-way calling for free. Consumers can also add on boostTV, a television streaming service, mobile hotspot connectivity and phone insurance.

• Music streaming: When customers subscribe to any Boost Mobile data plan, they can download one of the company’s partner music streaming apps and then stream music without having it use their allotted high speed data. Partner apps include Pandora, Spotify and others.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team