Boost Mobile

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I recently purchased my third and thinking about purchasing a fourth ZTE Warp 7 phone from Boost (BIG MAYBE). I love the phone. The only reason I had to get so many is because my EX boyfriend destroyed the first in a drunken jealous rage, so I tried to buy another but the store wanted TWICE AS MUCH as what I had originally paid for the first phone. So I called Boost Mobile and told them I had to cancel my Boost account because they just didn't offer the kind of phone I wanted at the price I could afford but Cricket did. So Boost gave me a promo code for 50% off an online purchase and I ordered the same exact phone again from their online store because I really do love this phone. I researched a lot of phones and decided I wanted THIS phone for very specific reasons. That's why I keep buying the same phone.

Then the second phone was stolen, so I reported it stolen and asked if I could have another promo code but they said no, which I understand. So I ordered one at full price anyway because I LOVE this phone. But I DON'T understand why now that I have ordered my THIRD phone and discovered it was defective the day after I received it in the mail (the selfie snapper camera is having a server issue)... and have to pay to return a defective device and Boost won't even do an exchange or anything helpful at all for their customer??? THEY sent ME a defective phone. I didn't ask for or expect to receive a broken phone. So why am I now responsible for returning it to them and can't even just exchange it for a PHONE THAT WORKS!?

So now these people are telling me that I have to spend MORE money to return it, plus go without a phone for however long it takes to return it and receive a refund and then wait for a new one to be sent to me once I get the refund back from them. I don't have the money to just buy a new phone while these people diddle around with getting me my refund. Total **. I spoke to two people from Boost's customer service and tech support departments yesterday morning and one was completely clueless and the other was rude as heck. I sent an email and the only response I got was something about being a global company and respecting people of all cultures as though I had mentioned something derogatory, which I did not. And at the end of that bizarre email about race relations was a short explanation of how I needed to return the phone at my own expense and wait two-three weeks for a refund and pretty much "oh well sucks for you".

I sent back a return email asking how I go about returning it but never got a response to that one at all. So both my boss and I called them again today since I did not find any resolution yesterday. My boss was calling as well because he actually purchased the phone on his Amex and took that amount out of my paycheck because I needed a phone asap. We both spent over two hours on the phone ONLY TRYING TO GET AN ADDRESS TO SEND THE BUSTED PHONE BACK TO THEM! One CSR even hung up on him because he told her the phone call was being recorded (we record all calls coming in and out of our office). I think he spoke to five people before someone would even give us an address.

And then shortly after we had gone to the post office we got a call from them telling us they had forgotten to give us a code which was supposed to be included on the address label, So we had to go back to the post office, have them dig our package out of whatever bin it had been put in and add the code to the mailing label or we wouldn't ever have gotten a refund at all. I would have expected more from this company in regards to customer service than how I've been treated and what I've been told so far. I've been a customer with them for more than a few years and have loved their phones and service but their customer service department and training of their customer service people SUCKS ** and I'm sick and tired of dealing with their ** customer service people and questionable business practices.

I have been with Boost now for maybe 2 years now. It was myself and my husband at first then I added one of my sons. Long story short I ended up adding 2 additional lines that were originally from a different carrier. I had a friend with me when I went into the Boost store. Well my daughter had her purse stolen and apparently she had her little brother’s phone as well as hers in her purse. I immediately reported them as lost or stolen. We weren't sure at that time if she had maybe left her purse in her dad’s vehicle. Everything was OK although I didn't have the funds to purchase 2 new phones yet. Then one day I received an email stating a payment was made and it was for one of the devices that I had reported. Then an email stating my PIN had been changed.

I was baffled and immediately called Boost. They informed me that they canceled my devices and that nobody could activate them again. Well... let’s just say I called Boost probably 20 times in 3 days and was on phone with them for about a total of 12 hours. I eventually found out who had taken my devices because they were able to continue to activate device because they knew the date of purchase. In my opinion it's absurd because I asked if they would please require proof of identity prior to activating or changing PIN on those accounts and every time they would "reassure" me that it wouldn't happen again. I ended up giving up. I don't understand how a person that stole a phone is able to use the phone even after all the reassurance I was given. There is sooo much more to this story. But it is too much to type. They also would change the numbers.

I've been with Boost Mobile for 15 years. I have had the worst signal ever just in the last 7 years. I have reported this issue several times for them to say "they are working on a tower in my area". Ok so I gave them the benefit of the doubt but still the same. I bought a new phone and still the same. I called in to get my account number so I could switch to another company and keep the same phone number. They offered me a deal of unlimited gb 50.00 month and free phone service for a month. For only 30.00 per month. So me like a sucker I did it. Just for them on the 2nd month start charging me 50.00.

"Hold up," I said to them. Oh by the way, they didn't know what I was talking about. Lol. I keep getting dropped calls and straight to vm when people call me most of the time. Smh. My 4g phone stays on 3g most of the time so I have to go to network on my boost app and then press update profile wait then press ok. That helps for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then it starts back over again. I'm so disgusted with Boost mobile. Ready to switch to another company that isn't an offspring of Sprint.

I'm writing this review because Boost Mobile sucks. Month after month always a problem. Boost Dealz is a joke. They don't apply nothing to your account. What a waste of time. We are changing services. First month they charged us right on Auto Re-Boost then after that no more Re-Boost, no explanation. I call, said it fixed then again next month same thing. Call back said it fixed which it was but charged us $5 extra dollars to charge our card and it was their fault. Always talking around the issue, nothing ever solved. They don't care about their customers. Crooked company. Hope they go out of business but they won't because people put up with what they do. Take time to care because they won't. They only care about their pockets.

Can't Order!! I have been trying to purchase an iPhone for $99.99 from the boostmobile.com site for 8 hours now. I've tried refreshing the page and re-entering my information continuously to try my order again. Very very very frustrating!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boost Mobile?

Since 2015 I've been a customer, since that time immediately I noticed no text, applications close after 10 seconds, missed emails and text. I of course called to complain, found out I was sold a refurbished, four year old phone. I received a discount rate for 6 months and an option to spend more money to upgrade my default phone. They knowingly sold this to me and tried to sweeten the deal.

In March 2017, my monthly went up to 48.00, I call and no one was able to able and I'm told my period of discount is over due to the phone purchase from 2015. I explained to the woman, who was very difficult to interact with, that all of this is in notes. There was nothing they could do but change my plan which means less service on an already terrible service plan or buy a new phone around 120.00. This is fraud and they hide behind Asia laws to not be liable to United States customers. No manager or service person was able to or will help. Anyone want to class action lawsuit with me?

I was with Boost Mobile for 5 years because of their low cost of $40 per month. I hated to contact them because is really a challenge to talk to someone alive and resourceful. When I was offered to upgrade my services with another Company, I immediately canceled my Boost Mobile services. At that moment I had a credit of $40 which I requested to be refunded. After a dispute through my credit card company I found out that their Pre-pay credits are non-refundable and non-transferable!!! They kept my $40 in other words, they stole $40 from me claiming that they are entitled... Is that legal? Stay away from this Company!

I purchased an iPhone on their website. It was a sale. Got the confirmation email etc. When I didn't hear anything further about my order shipping, I looked up the order on the website to find that they canceled my order. Never sent an email explaining same and even now, they have yet to send me an email stating that I will get my money back or anything. Tried calling their CS # to get some answers but you can't get a live person on there unless you have an account with them. I would have been a new customer so I had no # to reference other than the order #.

So then I went on Twitter. Got a response. Gave them all the info including screen caps. I gave them my number via dm and they proceeded to tell me the order was not canceled and just wait. Hung up with them and 10 mins later it's the same guy calling me back saying, "Oh yes, your order WAS canceled." No one could say why "Computer problem" was all I got. I'd have to reorder and they would honor my sale price. Ok. Tried to purchase the phone again, it won't take the discount code. It was now expired. Tell the rep this and now all of the sudden, they won't honor the original sale price. "You can order it again but not at the sale price. We can't give you that."

Went round and round with a couple different reps, one more useless than the next. Couldn't explain anything and couldn't care less. I've never dealt with a company so incompetent and lacking basic customer service skills. The fact that I was a new customer didn't even phase them. Oh well was their attitude. Now that I've seen this site, I see I dodged a bullet for sure. I'll stick with Virgin Mobile.

New to Boost. I purchased an iPhone SE. I was charged for 3 iPhones and got 0 phones! When I called to dispute this, I was on hold for 3 hours. Calling again today. Hopefully they will speak English because I'm not in the mood.

Not being able to make/receive calls, text or any kind of activity on my cell for 4 days now. I have been calling for 4 days. Customer service to try to resolve the issue, but it was in vain and my cell is useless!! I was told that I was going to be accredited money to my account but that was not true. They are claiming that they added the money to my international calls. How? I do pay $10 extra for my international calls every month. Nothing was accredited and the experience I had was very stressful.

Ive been with Boost 5 years. When they became a 4G network I thought it a great thing compared to their former 3G. However, I have learned the new plans supposedly reduces your speed to 2G. Haaa. All I ever get is 9kbs. And after 4 calls, nothing has been done. It's every excuse and none legitimate.

Boost has REPEATEDLY double billed me. I was supposed to receive $15 per month in complimentary credit. I'VE NEVER RECEIVED A CENT OF THIS. I have had Boost service for 5 years. It is a nightmare & and I am switching to Cricket/AT&T when my next Boost payment is due. Nobody in customer service speaks ENGLISH as their 1st language. I would strongly advise you against becoming a customer of Boost/Sprint. You'll find the experience nothing short of horribly aggravating. Using Boost w/o WiFi is another nightmare altogether. GPS goes out constantly. NO BOOST!

I have had Boost Mobile for a little over a year. First of all, I don't think they should be able to advertise an "unlimited data" plan when obviously every plan has a data cap. I rarely surf the web, use my data mainly for maps and occasionally videos and gaming. And yet they consistently lower my data speeds halfway through the month. There is no way I'm using all the data they claim. I'm switching from them to US Mobile, will see if that is any better.

There was an issue with one of my payments. I made a double payment in October of 2016. I disputed one of them. BM thought that I disputed them both and had received service for free. So they suspended my account in December after I paid for next month's service. I then disputed that transaction. They asked me to contact my bank and fax them my bank statement to resolve but the issue would never get resolved. They wanted me to pay them an extra $45 to reinstate my service. I would not. So I'm moving on. I was with them for a year and half with no issues until then and they accuse me of not paying.

Been a subscriber of Boost Mobile (via Re-Boost cards), won't give Boost/Sprint my credit card, roughly two years, my mistake. Had absolutely poor to zero bars for internet connections, loss of connections, moved to different homes in my state of Michigan and no 4G and/or even two bars. I'm always running a 3G with no bars almost all day, every day. I guess I should have not expected much from low-income phones, I'll call Boost phones the Obama phone, service is the same lousy throughout. Get some better cell tower's erected in Michigan and quit padding your pockets Boost execs, y'all stink just like your phones. And don't expect to download an app and open a webpage LOL, I get the classic, "WEBPAGE NOT AVAILABLE" loss of connections all day, every day, have I mentioned this prior? So let's give Boost the boot! Pathetic company doesn't improve their services and the customers.

I received my refurbished iPhone 6 on 2/04/17 at 7pm. The screen occasionally blacks out, can't turn it off to reboot... Nothing. Happened 4 times in less than ten days. Called 2/14/17 at 2pm to find out you only have 7 days to fix, make sure the phone works. They won't help and cust Ava manager said he understands the issue but they won't do anything to fix the issues. Told me to take it to an Apple Store. Actually told me it's too bad! I asked if they actually refurbish units or just do factory resets. He didn't answer even though I asked a couple of times. Unfortunate for me, I'm disabled and don't utilize the phone much other than keep busy while lying in bed... Getting to an Apple Store isn't the easiest either.

My suggestion to anybody looking at buying a phone. Go to the Apple Store, spend the extra money, buy a new phone, don't take another man's trash and trust Boost Mobile actually is refurbishing the phones. My experience tells me, they just factory reset phones and don't actually check that the phones are working as new. Funny thing, I was actually going to jump up to a 6 with 32 GB where they could have made better profit, all because I got a bad unit. Not now! I'll make my trip to Apple and hope they have better service than Boost Mobile. DO NOT BUY (REFURBISHED) FROM BOOST MOBILE! Just an FYI- their coverage and everything else seems to be good. It's a shame they would let the Refurbished division get off with such poor customer service!

Boost offers 10 GBS of data, when that is reached you get throttled. Boost offers a restart program to buy more data or restart your plan. When you apply for a restart Boost or to buy more data Boost applies the money to next month's bill. You get no restart or data until next months bill is due. I think I'll switch carriers... Sprint is offering unlimited data up to 24 GBS. Bye bye Boost! & your 2 million $ CEO.

Overall I'm not UNsatisfied with Boost, especially their in-store service. One guy there, named Juneau, is really an amazing rep. My primary complaint is that their 4G signal fades in and out on a fairly regular basis. And even when my phone indicates I have the 4G signal, it's extremely slow for downloads and videos are buffering often. It reminds me of my 90's Gateway desktop! I'm very frustrated with their poor 4G performance.

Boost Mobile needs to be investigated by the FTC. I have had multiple instances where Boost has cited an inordinate amount of data usage which was impossible. I have called and written Boost about this several times, but no one tries to do anything about it. They have made many asinine excuses, and try to maintain that it's my computer, or I left my device on, etc. None of these things are true, and I find this a little too much to swallow.

Once again, I had an astronomical leap in data usage from one evening to the next of approximately 2.3 GB, and - I had not been on the computer since the day before. I decided to do a test, and logged into my Boost Mobile account page, which falsely reflected I had used a little over 4,600 MB - which was impossible (that would require 2 GB when I was not online, and the hotspot was off). I noticed just after checking a few web pages, the counter would leap 100 MB at a time - not 76 or 89 mind you -100 MB.

So starting at 5,416 MB, I looked at about 6-8 web pages; one being my email, and others being random sites. I watched no videos or music. I refreshed my Boost Mobile Account page again. The data usage after toggling between the 6-8 webpages was now at 5,516 total usage. Again I toggled between another 6-8 pages, and lo and behold, it climbed now to 5,616. Surfed another 6 to 8 pages again, refreshed now up 5,716 MB. Again repeat the process, 5,816. What are the odds, that the few pages I looked not only reflected an astronomical leap of 100 MB, but was EXACTLY 100 MB each time. All of this transpired in 40 minutes time, with a usage of well over 1 GB.

This is fraud and I believe Boost Mobile is deliberately setting their system to generate false data usage in 100 MB increments. I witness this with my own eyes, and I deliberately tested them. I have attempted several screen prints showing the 100 MB incremental data usage, but I think I hit the wrong key and most didn't take. I just have the 5,416 MB and 5,816 MB shots that I was able to save. I believe this is fraudulent activity on Boost Mobile's part - I do not believe this is a fluke or problem with their system. I can not see this happening every month, and they are taking advantage of their customers.

The month before, I had in one evening's times, 2.3 GB disappeared from my account summary page. I had checked a few websites and my email. I watched no movies or play music. Ever since they started offering where you can add additional data packages, my data use according to them has been literally melting away like quicksand. I've called multiple times and sent support emails, but they won't do anything about it. My computer data calculator reflects about half the GBs less a month than what they are asserting.

Initially, during my first 5 months with Boost, I would have like 2-4 GB left over at the end of each month. Now, there is a night and day difference with them. Even AT&T who has lied and paid millions in fines about lying about data usage, does not even come close to the incredulous amount of false data usage asserted by Boost Mobile. I strongly recommend if you're in area with several internet choices, and just need a data plan, I would strongly recommend NOT choosing Boost Mobile - they will fabricate your data usage, and insist you're the culprit. I'm not a computer expert, but I'm no novice when it comes to them either, and I have no doubt that Boost Mobile is manipulating the data usage on my account. Absolutely outrageous.

Today 1/24/2017 I call Boost Mobile to review my account for both lines to only found out that we are being cheated out of our billing cycle. We have 30 until our bill is due. Therefore we are getting a disconnecting service a day before if we are purchasing a monthly (30) usage. This should follow through actually 30 day not 29. Last month I purchase a re-boost card 12/24/2016 at 6:17pm. Which mean my next payment should be due on the 24th by the end of business day 5pm or night 12am. Absolutely not the day before on the 23rd at 12am. This is very misleading and unfair. We ask to speak to a mgr the rep said "no because we are on a recorded line". Plus corporate do not have a contact number. I'm saying to myself they are really getting over. Unlimited data and service are a failure. They really do not care. We will be switching service providers.

"Boost mobile service is top notch for over 5 years I have had it and I never had a problem. The price has never changed, $30.00 for unlimited use of everything."

Can't get a very good signal. Suppose to be getting 4G but only get 2G most of the time. I've had two phones go bad on me while still under warranty and couldn't get anyone to help me get them replaced. At one time had my service cut off for nonpayment when I paid two weeks earlier and the clerk in the store just forgot to give me credit thank goodness. Also, I had my receipt but they would not give me credit for the two days I was without service. All in all they are a lousy phone company.

Boost/Sprint is withdrawing funds monthly from my bank account. I was supposedly on auto debt for over a year and made the mistake of giving them my account information. Recently I have been monitoring my account, and noticed that they have been taking money every month for the last three months $47.00 for one phone $79.00 for the other. We are supposedly on family plan which is just supposed to be $79.00 plus insurance. A supervisor from Boost stated to me that they cannot do nothing about it, and that I must go to my bank and file a fraud complaint there. I gave them my account information because they said it would save me money.

We were charged on August 6, 9, 27, September 7, 26, 2,8 October 7, 27, November 7, 16, 26. Then on Dec 7 we went into Magna store because they said they couldn't process payment Then we get a TeX this was paid $62.00. Then we get a TeX saying automatic debit has been added. Then on Jan 6 it was removed not by us Then they threaten on the other phone disruption twice on Jan 6. They're saying next payment 2/6. Then it said auto debit was added again Jan 6 on Jan 10 no internet at all. Then I called Boost WVC 5600 store. They refuse to give ownership name. I let them know I would be pressing fraud charges. So I called around to other stores to find this information. The manager calls back and states I got her in trouble with her boss. Manager yelling at me. If they would have followed through I wouldn't have had to go this far.

My 4G service went out 20 mins after I paid my bill. Boost Mobile has horrible 4G in Toledo, Ohio. This month Internet connection has been going out 3-4 times day bad gateway. I had $28 come up missing from account. Customer service is a joke.

I bought an iPhone for Christmas for my sister from the Boost website. It had scratches and it had a dent where the screen would pop up randomly which I looked passed because I did purchase a refurbished cellphone but now the phone doesn't work at all. The bottom is frozen. She cannot take pictures, cannot touch anything from the bottom screen. I understand that the phone is refurbished however if I am paying 240 dollars for an iPhone I'm expecting it to AT MINIMAL function properly. Battery dies in 30 mins. For all that WHY suggest a refurbished cellphone when I could have bought a brand new cellphone. I've been calling Boost Mobile even stepped into one and they have been nothing but unhelpful. Do not buy your phones from Boost Mobile! I hate to say this but it is a waste of money.

The system has always been reliable except for one small area in Delaware. It is the best plan for the money and is probably better than those I've had like Verizon. Personal service has never been a problem and their help has always been accurate.

They offer a great value and customer service has not been too frustrating. Boost mobile uses the Sprint Network which has good coverage in my city. If I go to rural areas not near a major interstate highway, there is no coverage. But I am only paying $30 per month for unlimited talk and text and 3.5 G high speed data, which grows with every three months of on time payments to a maximum of 5G. A good deal, IMO.

My name is Donald ** and I'm contacting you because of the Company Boost Mobile mistreatment of their Customers. I have been without service due to no fault of my own. As of 12/31/16 a little after 2pm my phone just started saying no service and upon restarting my phone it would say Network Error, no Network Connection. I contacted Boost the next day and was told that there was an upgrade being done on the Towers in my area and that the issue should be corrected within 24 hours. So on 1/2/17 I rebooted my phone, same issue, no Network Connection and after 2 hrs of going back and forth with different agents going through the same checks of my phone I got an agent in the supposed escalated tech support department who had me do a hard reboot losing all of my information on my phone.

Once this did not work the agent told me that there was still work being done on the Towers in my zip code and if it was not working still in 48 hrs to call again. To try to keep this short obviously since I'm contacting you my phone service is still not connected to their network and all they keep saying to me is that they are still working on the Towers and before I contacted Boost on 1/4/17 the 48 hrs that they had given to me to call back I went to their company website and found hundreds of people that had gone through the same ordeal without compensation of a new phone or anything. I'm not looking for anything out of this except for a Public warning about this Company. I have worked in Customer Service and one thing I know is that this is not how Customers should be treated. Thank You for your time. I'm using my WiFi to send this.

I paid my phone bill $50 on January 4th, 2017 and added a line $37 total $87. It's 1/6/17 and Boost Mobile is saying I need to go pay my phone bill. This is a mess. Data slow & everything. I want a refund. I don't recommend Boost. They just a rip off and the lady took 2 hours just to add 1 line to my service and said because she was on her lunch break. This is ridiculous. I'm going down there 1st thing tomorrow morning. I want my money back .

Phone plans: Misleading. Very unhelpful... Auto reboost has a plan where you are supposed to get $5 off a month for enrolling. That only happened the month I enrolled. Then the plan states that after 3 months of on-time payments you receive free service for a month. When I couldn't do it online I called. I was told some gibberish about how I had reached the first goal for that but had to increase data etc. Increasing data would involve another higher plan.

I asked for a supervisor and was disconnected. I went through the whole process once more. Finally got a supervisor who told me I HAD misunderstood the plan. I told him no and gave him the information. Then he said that I wasn't enrolled. I confirmed that. Then I was told that I, myself, was enrolled but my card wasn't!?! I confirmed that. I finally told him to take me out of the plan. He said I could "easily" do that online. Since it kicks you out when you try online... NO I can't! He started to tell me how I was going to lose this invisible data I had accumulated. I stopped him. His last try was that I would have to pay a $3 fee for the TECHNICAL SUPPORT used to change my plan. I told him I absolutely wanted to speak to management and NOT to disconnect me. He put me on hold for 5 seconds. Came back on and said because I was such a good customer etc he was allowed to waive the fee.

My point is that besides everything Boost put me through just during the phone call, besides the fact I was really happy about my supposed free month is this Really Worth it to the company? To be on the phone as long as they were? To know I was going to drop their company totally? To be told I was putting it on Facebook and submitting a report to Consumer Affairs? If I was Corporate I would say absolutely not! The last thing is that I'm poor. To get another phone and to change plans will cost me more money. However in the long run it will pay off... I hope. Thank you.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Boost Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint and is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. The company was founded in 2000 in Australia and New Zealand and became available in the United States the following year. It offers unlimited prepaid cell phone service for smartphones.

• Boost Dealz: Customers who download and use the Boost Dealz app from the Google Play store can receive a $5 discount on their service each month. The app plays videos and shows ads every time the phone is unlocked. If users regularly view ads, they receive the discount.
  • Data packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data can buy data packs when they exceed their high speed data limit. Data in data packs is available for 30 days, and prices start at $5.
  • Incoming calls/texts on unpaid accounts: Boost customers who have not paid their monthly service charges can continue to receive incoming calls and text messages for 60 days.
  • Features: All Boost Mobile plans include call waiting, voicemail and three-way calling for free. Consumers can also add on boostTV, a television streaming service, mobile hotspot connectivity and phone insurance.
  • Music streaming: When customers subscribe to any Boost Mobile data plan, they can download one of the company’s partner music streaming apps and then stream music without having it use their allotted high speed data. Partner apps include Pandora, Spotify and others.
  • Best for Boost Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones