2.03/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Boost Mobile

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

713 Boost Mobile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I first joined Boost, when it was one of the few pre-paid wireless providers that made it easy. I've had service with them for 7 years, no problem. I am currently on the West Coast, but when traveling to the East Coast, service is non-existent. My one and only complaint is that after being with them for this long that there are no concessions. The 'preferred' plan is very helpful. You can still receive calls and texts, but cannot call-out or reply back. Once you re-boost, that time that you couldn't actually use your phone is still part of that extra time.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Boost Mobile service just sucks. I had them for years in December. I switched to Metro but ended up switching back because Metro didn't have any service on my drive to work. I purchased the iPhone 6s Plus in March. For the last 4/5 months I've been calling about an issue that has yet to be resolved. I called them to have my phone unlocked so that I could switch to Verizon prepaid. They first told me that the phone had to be on the account for at least six months before that could be done.

Once they saw I met the criteria I was then told I had to wait until March of next year. If I'm not connected to WiFi no internet. The last CSR told me it was due to so many lines hitting the same tower at the same time. Needless to say they refused to unlock and told me I should sell it to someone who has a Boost service. The phone is paid for. I should be able to do with it as I please. I am not happy with Boost Mobile. The service sucks. If you're thinking of trying them you should reconsider.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

WORST SERVICE BOTH in each Boost office & staff & horrible in private use. Boost office staff are incompetent, not able to answer all questions/interest well or don't want to & are VERY argumentative. Went to TWO (2) different offices, both the same. TERRIBLE!! Went back to cancel service the next day & this guy refused to allow us to cancel nor refund our money THOUGH the service didn't function for us at all in our areas.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Just wanting to let everyone know that if you have a Sprint account, you should not try to change to Boost Mobile. Since Sprint is a mother company of Boost, The transfer is a nightmare. If you purchase a phone online, you can not get it activated since you have a account with Sprint. When you try to contact their customer service, you can't because you don't have a Boost account. It took me almost 2 months trying to get a refund for a purchase online. Also if you do migrate your number over to Boost, they will not give you any promotions and possible you will have to get a new number.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

In anticipation of Hurricane Irma on 9/6/17 I went into a local Boost Mobile store here in New Port Richey & purchased an iPhone & Boost Mobile monthly coverage for $57.00 a month. I picked the iPhone since it is a brand name. On 9/8/17, I left my apartment in New Port Richey & went up to Ocala to stay with friends during the hurricane since I am elderly & didn't want to be alone for this hurricane. For some reason this hurricane scared me. Well wasn't I surprised when my cell phone didn't get any coverage while I was up there. I tried getting a signal by plugging the phone into the USB port in my car but then it meant I would have to turn my car on to get it to work & gas was a precious commodity at that time. My friends whom I was staying with had cell phone service at all times but they use Verizon (shame on me).

Since we were cautioned not to go on the road directly after the hurricane hit & gas was still hard to come by I had to sit & wait for a couple of days with no cell service of my own. On 9/13/17, I headed back to New Port Richey since I felt it was safe to do so. Although I did rent a motel room in Pasco County just in case. On 9/14/17 I went directly to the Boost Mobile store where I spent the $323.13 for the phone & service to complain about this no cell service etc and all I got was "oh well you're past the 7 days return policy". HUH. Well sorry about that I was stopped by a hurricane & the aftermath. Couldn't get here sooner.

Not being able to do a return & get my money back to go to Verizon who offers the same deal on prepaid phone service I sent a complaint to Boost Mobile via their website asking to unlock the phone so I could go to Verizon using the same phone since in addition to paying for the iPhone at Boost I also bought Apple insurance via Apple for an additional $106.00 (approximately), so now I'm out $429.13+. I received NO answer or contact from Boost Mobile via the website complaint so I complained on Twitter also & gave them all the info plus my home number & have heard nothing from them either. Complaining at the store definitely got me nowhere. The clerk thinks this is funny.

In addition on the day I did the original purchase I had also purchased a travel charger & when I got out to my car I realized I had a USB port in my car (senior moment) & didn't need the charger so I went right back & the clerk issued me a credit for the $16.04 which I am still waiting to hit my credit card so I reported that missing credit to my credit card company. So once again a Florida company has taken me over for my money. I would like a return of my money so I can go elsewhere & get a phone & coverage that works.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boost Mobile?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

The service is ok but charging me way I go into pay cash. They charge me 3 dollars to pay cash. Otherwise the service is decent but the charging when I pay cash is stupid.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I've never had a problem and their service is great. Gives me just what I need nothing more nothing less and a great price. I think people would find them to be very satisfactory for their cell phone service.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I was on Sprint many years, I was dumped, he finally released my number to me. That's why to save money I went to Boost Mobile, prepaid spend down. Works very well for me. I enjoy my phone and texting very much.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Not honoring their ads - I bought a 35 plan at 6 gbs... They would not honor it because I was on the 3gbs plan before, but it's a prepaid service not a contract phone... Very disappointed with Boost and would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Boost is a good company but if you pay in cash, the people who run the individual stores, they are allowed to charge a extra fee for their own pockets! If you use a credit card, they won't charge you. This is wrong!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I've been a customer of Boost for over 5 yrs. I bought a new phone Jul. 2016 tried to get the unlock code in Aug. 2017. They wouldn't do it because they said I didn't have the phone for a year after the store I bought proved to them that I did. As of today my phone is still locked.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

My experience with Boost has been satisfactory. Their smartphone has good enough reception and all app updates download and install easily. Admittedly, I want ringtones, though, and they have none. But I don't know if anyone does.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I've had Boost Mobile for over 14 years and the customer service gets worst by the year... The customer appreciation has never even existed with them. I've paid 60 for a unlimited plan for 7 years. Never informed of the plan dropping to 50. Couldn't tell me why I was still and currently pay 60. Bought my kid the same plan at 50. Couldn't add a line so I two separate lines which is so stupid because I should be on the family plan. Tried to do that. Interrupted on line. Said I need more money. I hate this phone company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I wouldn't trade companies for anything. I've been with them for almost 10 years!!! I've gone through more phones than anyone I know!!! Customer service will take time and get me through my oops and back.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

The Boost Mobile website is user friendly. I go there to update my information or add money for payment. I usually add money via the phone. The recording says Boost will text you a payment confirmation but I never receive a text confirmation. That is my only complaint, but otherwise I highly recommend Boost.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I have had times where changes in my auto pay had to be changed and was left with no service. As well add data. I am on a family plan and my phone also won't stay charged due to the charging dock. On my receipt it say that I have insurance but when I went to the store I bought it from they said I didn't buy insurance to cover my phone and my daughter also reminded me that I got it the day she was with me.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Boost Mobile is pretty good. I've been with them over 8 years but I have had problems with dropped calls, and reception issues. However, reception has improved over the past 4 years I must say. Also, their service is not as good as it was 6 years ago.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I really love Boost and I never have a problem with service. They are very helpful and I am always a satisfied customer whenever I need help.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Boost Mobile has been a wonderful company! I switched from Metro PCS because after years of being a customer, they began to treat me like another number. Boost Mobile was not only happy to have my business, they still treat you as a human and give great shrinkage plans that saves you a lot of money. Only reason I'd change, is if Boost was no longer available.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Switching from Sprint to Boost has saved me a lot of money on my monthly bill. I have unlimited everything, which is great. I was reluctant at first, but over the last few years, my experience has been smooth, with no problems at all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

This was the straw that broke the Boost Mobiles back. I have been with them for some time and had automatic billing to my bank card. This month (August 2017) they charged my account the regular $58.98 per month that I have been paying. All of a sudden I noticed a total of 4 pre-authorizations to my card for the $58.98 after the regular $58.98 was already deducted by them.

I contacted customer service which was a joke in itself. The person on the other end of the phone barely spoke English and I explained what had happened. They told me not to worry that they received their $58.98. I asked why my account was then charged $58.98, 3 more times. They said not to worry as it would not affect my account, WRONG, each $58.98 was taken from my balance and they would do nothing to correct the problem, only gave me grief.

I contacted the bank and showed them what happened. They can't do anything for me until all 3 payments clear and then they may be able to file a fraud complaint against Boost. So now I'm out $176.94 not including the overdraft charges I incurred as that put my account in the red. Do not trust these people! And do not sign up for auto pay unless you have money to burn... I never had this occur before with them and then all of a sudden WHAM!!! I'm now looking for a better carrier that won't take more than they suppose to...

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Good service. Cheap plans. Free phones are good. Reliable and fast. Good place for people who do not need the latest phone to come out every year. Very helpful. I have 3 phones with 10 gigs data each with unlimited phone call and texts for less than $100 a month.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Have had good experience with customer service, however some locations only have one worker and less coverage area. Had good selection of phones, offered free phone with higher $45/mo plan.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Service is actually good. The phones however stink. I have gone through 5 phones since 2014. If there was another prepaid provider for this monthly price and the data and all. I would change it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I went to Boost to have my Galaxy S7 unlocked. I have had the phone for over 14 months and always had it turned on with Boost. I am eligible to do the unlocking by their own terms. I've tried 5 times to get my phone unlocked. First time I went to the Boost store, after some discussion with Boost help I was told that my phone was unlocked. I went to a trusted cell repair establishment. They tried a SIM card. It didn't work. I went back to the same Boost store the second day. After discussions with Boost help I was given a six digit code to unlock my phone. Nothing else. I went to my trusted repair place. We couldn't unlock the phone again. I have spoken to Boost customer care and their technical department on two more occasions for a total of 3 hours. I'm told that it will be unlocked in two days. I don't believe it. Don't buy Boost. They lie to you and they won't honor their own contract terms. Where is Justice and the correct solution?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Salesperson sold me phone and plan, said unlimited everything, no data cap. I asked three times, they lied. Worst cell service ever. Hands down, very deceptive and dishonest. Would not recommend to anyone, waste of hard earned money. Will switch carries asap!! Don't purchase from them!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I've been a customer for over 5 yrs. Never any major issues until I tried to change to a family plan & add my wife's phone. I was told they couldn't add her phone because it wasn't one they carried/sold. So we went to another company to check out their family plans & even though they were willing to activate both phones, they couldn't do mine because it was locked. I was told by Boost I had to have been using my phone for a minimum of 1 year b4 they would unlock it.

The phone I have right now is a replacement phone for one I had been using for over 2 yrs which was stolen. But since I've only had the replacement phone for a little over 3 months they wouldn't unlock it. We are low income seniors & cannot afford to buy another phone & we cannot afford to have 2 separate single plans so my wife is without a phone now until we can save money to buy a new one for myself from another company as I will not be staying with Boost Mobile. I do not recommend a company that dictates what you can & can't do with the products you purchase from them.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I originally switched to Boost because they promised better service. I messed up big time. They had to send me a sim card for my current phone twice so I had no phone for a month. I paid the money for the service and they demanded more and more then put 10 on my account as courtesy for the issues. When I checked my account 0 balance. Now everything I say or do on my phone is being seen by street thugs because Boost has no security and I called customer service and they say the technical department can't do anything to stop it. As for the one talking about a class action I would love to.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

The fact that Boost Mobile has me writing this review is sickening in itself since I left the last phone company for not giving me the freedom to make choices on my account as well as the upgrade policies. When purchasing my 1st phone with Boost after having been a faithful customer in the "Chirp days" I am highly disappointed. I wasn't informed when purchasing the phone that I would have a 120 day wait before I could purchase another prepaid phone. Being that the iPhone went on sale I wanted to upgrade and wasn't allowed to as if I was with one of the network phone companies.

After the 1 million day wait (that's how long it felt ) I was told when purchasing an upgrade that I would have to pay an activation fee and approx 30 in taxes bring the grand total for a 199.00 phone to 275.00??? I wouldn't recommend Boost Mobile if you're looking for freedom from one of the bigger companies because it's a lot of small print. Although the bill is cheaper you get what you pay for. It feels like "You're here now, we know you're the customer but pleasing you is not our problem."

Original review: July 16, 2017

I bought a prepaid phone from Boost back in November 2016, I needed a prepaid phone because I was moving back to Europe during the summer and I needed to be able to use a sim card from a different country. When my phone arrived it worked well, however the Boost contract was overpriced compared to other contracts that you can find elsewhere.

When I moved back to Europe I told boost that I wanted to end my contract and I asked if I could use my phone with another sim card, they told me that I could easily use another sim card. However when I put a different sim card in it did not work, BOOST SOLD ME A LOCKED PREPAID PHONE, I contacted them again asking how I could unlock it, they said that I had to stay with them for 12 months and that there is no other way of them unlocking it. This was not specified when I bought the phone, so now I am stuck with a locked phone that I cannot fully use because of Boost. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OFF THEM, THEY ARE OVERPRICED, THEY WILL NOT TRY AND HELP YOU, STAY AWAY FROM BOOST, I RECOMMEND GOING TO ANY OTHER MOBILE COMPANY.

Boost Mobile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Boost Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint and is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. The company was founded in 2000 in Australia and New Zealand and became available in the United States the following year. It offers unlimited prepaid cell phone service for smartphones.

• Boost Dealz: Customers who download and use the Boost Dealz app from the Google Play store can receive a $5 discount on their service each month. The app plays videos and shows ads every time the phone is unlocked. If users regularly view ads, they receive the discount.
    • Data packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data can buy data packs when they exceed their high speed data limit. Data in data packs is available for 30 days, and prices start at $5.
    • Incoming calls/texts on unpaid accounts: Boost customers who have not paid their monthly service charges can continue to receive incoming calls and text messages for 60 days.
    • Features: All Boost Mobile plans include call waiting, voicemail and three-way calling for free. Consumers can also add on boostTV, a television streaming service, mobile hotspot connectivity and phone insurance.
    • Music streaming: When customers subscribe to any Boost Mobile data plan, they can download one of the company‚Äôs partner music streaming apps and then stream music without having it use their allotted high speed data. Partner apps include Pandora, Spotify and others.
    • Best for: Boost Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious consumers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs