1.38/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

934 Boost Mobile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Boost Mobile will hold your phone hostage for longer than 12 mo. Due to FCC laws phone holders can now refuse to unlock your device before 12 months after being registered on their network. What they don't tell you is that if your device is repaired by Apple and your serial changes then the 12 months starts over. This is what happened to me. I spoke with multiple representatives that all confirmed this. This is a total perversion of this law. I will never do business with them again and I recommend no one else does.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My Mom had me purchase, with her credit card, a Moto E5 plus, phone for my Christmas gift on November 18, 2018, through the Boost Mobile website. When I activated the phone it wouldn't stay connected to the internet. I contacted Boost Mobile to ask for a refund and was told since it was past the 7 day warranty I would have to deal with Motorola. After three weeks of dealing with Motorola I was sent a new phone on January 18, 2019. I activated the phone the next day and had the exact same problem. I called Boost Mobile to again ask for a refund. I was again told it was past the 7 day warranty but I could use their Buy Back Program.

I called them and was told the phone had to be activated for 30 days. Once again I called Boost Mobile. After being escalated up the chain numerous times asking for a refund I was told I was not eligible because Motorola had sent me a replacement phone. What the **? I told them if they had given me a refund when I first asked I wouldn't have a replacement phone. I have been a Boost customer for 8 years. Now I am stuck with a phone I paid for and cannot use and Boost Mobile refuses to make it right. Beware if you purchase a phone that has problems that Boost will NOT do anything to help. I am now out the money for the phone and Boost is to the good the money I paid. I will NOT stay with a company that has so little regard for its customers that it won't give a refund on a defective product and basically tells the customer, "Too bad for you." I am switching cell phone carriers as soon as my month with Boost is up!

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I recently went into Boost to purchase a new line. I was bringing my own device which was unlocked. They put in their SIM card and made me pay $77. After the payment they realized that my phone was not recognizing their network and was not compatible. And they wouldn't give me my money back. They said it was my phone's fault. I went to T Mobile the next day and added a line. They were so mean and incoherent and wasted more than 5 hours of my time troubleshooting. I would never recommend this service to anyone, especially the store on Main street Woodland, CA. Stay away from Boost and join more trusted companies. At least you won't feel cheated even if it costs slightly more. Actually fun fact, I am paying less in T Mobile and their customer service was A+!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I've been a Boost customer for nearly a decade. My daughter bought me a new phone for my birthday costing $353 on November 9, 2019. She paid for a month's service as well. The following month I paid for another month's service $50 unlimited talk text and data with hotspot. On December 26 I called customer service inquiring about a promotion I thought I would be eligible for when I was asked to provide my personal pin then placed on hold, then disconnected. I tried calling again but I could only reach an automated voice message telling me my account had been suspended.

The following day I kept getting that same message. At one point I received a different message saying "congratulations your number has been switched to Sprint, if you're having problems with your phone, power it off and back on, welcome to Sprint, goodbye". When I did as the message instructed it went back to the Suspended message. I couldn't contact customer service or anyone. I went into a Boost store where I was told they could do nothing but sell me another phone and or another month's service. They did get my phone to reach customer service. After hours of speaking to them and being transferred to countless reps. I asked to speak with a supervisor. After a couple more hours with him and being placed on hold numerous times, his final instructions were that I needed to purchase another phone and additional service if I wanted the issue resolved.

He said that they had no record of my account ever existing nor any record of the phone number ever existing. I flipped out at this point. I spent countless hours for over a week going into the store where I purchased the phone and pay my monthly service with my receipts of the phone my daughter purchased and from paying my monthly service and talking to customer service using other people's phones and sometimes when I could reach them by redialing the number the rep. had previously on my phone. Where I WAS TOLD THE SAME THING "THE ACCOUNT DOES NOT EXIST". After I no longer had any hope my son called speaking on my behalf.

He spent 5 hours straight only to be lied to and told they would have their investigation team investigate the issue and it would take until 11 am the following day. Of course that was completely untrue. After 6 days without service, I finally spent some of my rent money on another phone and service and activation fees. When I contacted customer service this time I was told by the supervisor rep. that they had tried reaching me but their calls went directly to voicemail and that I should try answering my phone. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I hung up and went straight to the FCC website where I filed a complaint, then onto the CPUC and filed another. Where apparently they are linked as they said I filed more than one complaint.

After 8 days of no service my son called me on my new piece of ** phone doing a 3 way call with Boost and after 4 straight hours of straight bs. I was able to make calls but neither my number or account had been restored. Around 630 3 more hours later my number was restored. It wasn't until January 17 when I was notified my account was restored. However I haven't verified that yet. I was given a total of $95.00 of credit on my account. Even though I spent more on a phone and service. I asked for a refund in the same form of which I was forced to pay and was denied. Oh and Boost called me providing me a "Personal" pin number that THEY CREATED for me which stands for the devil. So in all honesty my account wasn't completely restored.

What the FCC refers this as being, is SLAMMING. It's when they switch your carrier without your authorization. It's considered CRAMMING when they add costs to your account for services you didn't request or authorize. It's called EXTORTION when they instruct you to purchase products and services you've already purchased and they've stopped those services and lock the product so you are forced to pay for them again in order to get your previous services and purchases restored and working again. I call them CRIMINALS and hope that someone who has the authority to deal with this, reads this.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I really wish I can give negative stars for Boost Mobile. I was a loyal customer even though I had few little issues here and there throughout the years; but the one big breaking point was when my daughter had a pseudoseizure. She collapsed on my floor and could not see me nor could she move. I dialed 911 and I could not be connected... Over-and-over-again I dial 911 and Boost service would not connect me. After this issue they never did anything about it; no sorry, no nothing! I only got, "Ma'am there's an open ticket and we haven't found any issues." I do not recommend Boost Mobile to any parents.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boost Mobile?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

If you live in Auburn WA and pay your bill at the North Auburn store be aware that the store's service charge is $3.00 not $4.00. They will try to charge you an extra dollar on your bill from of which is not fair to the unexpected consumer. I have been charged this a few times myself and every time I go into the store to pay my bill now they always try to stick me with that extra dollar. Now you say, "A dollar what the heck," but when they are taking everyone that pays at the store that can be a large amount of money. This is not only unfair to the consumer it is also unfair to the company.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We were simply looking for an unlocked phone online and saw that BOOST was selling pre-owned phones for a fair price. We put it in the cart and paid for it. NOWHERE did it say that purchase requires service ANYWHERE!!! Nowhere were you required to click on terms of service for the phone stating that a contract was required. To make matters worse, we go to return the phone and they say that there is a 7-day return policy. Never posted anywhere. No receipt with terms and conditions in the box. No emails stating the contract terms. Nothing. Just an email confirming purchase, then one more with a FedEx tracking number. I could only imagine what they would try to pull if we DID sign up. Shame on you Boost...shame on you SPRINT. We will NEVER even CONSIDER your plans again. Crooks. Period.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have had Boost Mobile for about a year and a half. I set my account up via their auto pay method to which my debit card would be charged $45 a month for my plan. Several times within the past year, when I attempted to make a call I was told by an automated message that my account did not have enough funding in it causing the use of my phone to be of "limited service".

Attempting to get a service agent on the phone has been difficult each time and grows more difficult accordingly. When I do get an agent, I explain the issue that I have an account that is paid via my debit card. Most times they advise that the card has surpassed its expiration date. Each time I had to provide them with the card number and expiration date. The agent advised me that there is a $5 charge to create an auto pay scenario. Each time I had to convince and remind them that there is a $5 discount via the auto pay method. Once I was told that the issue was "my fault" because I had let my card expire without updating the info for a new card. That was completely false as Boost was given the proper information several months earlier about my new card. They tried in vain to charge me the extra $5. After much deliberation, they finally backed off and gave me the discount.

Today I tried to make a call again. Again I was told that my account was lacking funds so I only had limited service. I finally got an agent on the line. After explaining the issue to him, he asked me for my card number along with expiration date and asked me to confirm my name. When I spelled my name, he advised that they were missing a letter in my last name and that is why the card was not charged properly. Once they had the correct spelling, he said that they will put through a $50 payment through. I stopped him from doing that advising that the card in question has been the card on record for at least a year and that payments have been made via auto payment prior to this month. His response was he had to reestablish the auto payment scenario again to which there is a $5 charge for doing so.

Needless to say I lost it. I told him that this has gone on in the past and not to charge my card for anything at this point. I have had it with Boost Mobile. Their billing department obviously has issues of keeping accurate info on hand for the accounts they have, or worst do this intentionally to get that extra $5 each time there is an issue with auto pay. Their customer service staff is either incompetent, complacent or very poorly trained. WHEN IT COMES TO BOOST MOBILE, KEEP THE SWITCH IN THE OFF POSITION.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Updated on 01/15/2019: So finally after making an FCC complaint I got to get in contact with a general management representative from Sprint PCS representing Boost Mobile. They still refuse to unlock my device which I have stated in a previous complaint. Apparently they have a policy against customers recording their calls but they want to record ours if Sprint/Boost Mobile had nothing to hide and was not doing anything wrong. Why would they care if we recorded them. If they are recording us any more serious issue strong-arming customers that cannot use their service and do paying for service that cannot be used in order to have your device unlocked is an unfair practice in my opinion.

Do not recommend Sprint nor Boost Mobile for anyone in the future and I used to be a Sprint A Plus customer for several years. To be treated this way after all the money and time I've spent with this company sickens me. Customers beware. #sprintmoblie # boostmobile. PS I would not even write them with a half a star let alone a quarter of a star. Unfortunately have to pick something.

Original Review: I purchased a Boost Mobile telephone October 7th 2017, headed activated for six straight months. Moved to a new area where Boost Mobile service is not provided to find out that I cannot have my device unlocked or use my device that I paid outright for and own. After two weeks of attempting contact customer service as well as general management they refused to allow me to speak with a general manager. I've been told that they do not have a general manager. I was told that my new service provider could unlock my device. I was told that the manufacturer of my device could unlock my device.

I was lied to multiple, multiple times, hung up on more than 7 times. Filed a complaint with the FCC. Customers beware. Also was told that Sprint does not own Boost Mobile. Buy Sprint as well as Boost Mobile as I was a Sprint A+ customer for years. Cannot believe I was treated this way. I will never use Sprint or Boost Mobile as long as I live. #sprint #boostmobile.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Overcharged twice by Boost Mobile, once at their store, once with a card. The lady at the store remembered me, got that one resolved. Customer service is almost nonexistent. They will rip you off just a question of when.

Boost Mobile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Boost Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint and is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. The company was founded in 2000 in Australia and New Zealand and became available in the United States the following year. It offers unlimited prepaid cell phone service for smartphones.

• Boost Dealz: Customers who download and use the Boost Dealz app from the Google Play store can receive a $5 discount on their service each month. The app plays videos and shows ads every time the phone is unlocked. If users regularly view ads, they receive the discount.

• Data packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data can buy data packs when they exceed their high speed data limit. Data in data packs is available for 30 days, and prices start at $5.

• Incoming calls/texts on unpaid accounts: Boost customers who have not paid their monthly service charges can continue to receive incoming calls and text messages for 60 days.

• Features: All Boost Mobile plans include call waiting, voicemail and three-way calling for free. Consumers can also add on boostTV, a television streaming service, mobile hotspot connectivity and phone insurance.

• Music streaming: When customers subscribe to any Boost Mobile data plan, they can download one of the company’s partner music streaming apps and then stream music without having it use their allotted high speed data. Partner apps include Pandora, Spotify and others.

• Best for: Boost Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs