1.13/5
Based on 174 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

595 Bell Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Please never work or deal with Bell Canada. I am a customer with them for four months in a rented apartment, then I transfer the account to the next tenant, for which the representative confirmed that the transfer was successful. After half a year, Bell reached to us saying there is payment due because the next tenant did not pay the bill. I am not sure how it relates back to us as I was assured that the transfer was successful, and I even received a refund for the service I did not finish using before I left the apartment. Ok fine, then I asked for a proof of internet usage for the months that the bills were not paid, so that I can argue with the next tenant for him to pay the bill. But the representative refused to give it to us saying that they were not able to retrieve this information. So you have the information of monthly bills, but not the monthly usage? How elementary is your system to not have this basic information?

Ok fine, I paid the bill in full, and I specifically asked the representative that is the account is fully closed, that I do not have to deal anymore of this, and the representative said yes, that the account is closed and everything is settled. But today, one month later, I received another bill saying there is outstanding balance. I am starting to believe that I will never be able to get rid of this account and I have to pay the bill forever. I had never any issues with Fido or Telus before. Please tell me if there is a way to cancel an Bell account, everything is not simple when it is about Bell. Please never ever deal with Bell under any circumstance or you will deeply regret it.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I went into the Bell store at the Eaton Center, Toronto. I replaced my iPhone for an iPhone 8, I was offered a free promotional gift of a Samsung Galaxy Tab E. Looking at my bill I realize I’m locked into a two-year contract at $15 a month. To get out of this contract I have to pay $302 for the tablet. I called to complain about this and was asked, “Did you sign something?” “Yes I did sign something.” More than once I asked “So this doesn’t cost anything?” To the guy at the Bell Store who repeatedly told me it didn’t cost anything and pointed to where I should sign. I truly believe I was straight out lied to just to get a sale. From this point on I will read everything. I have called Bell twice and nobody can help me at all.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

They can’t seem to cancel my account. I’ve been calling every month for 6 months, and they still send me a bill for a home phone that I never used... They’re scammers and if you go with them after reading this, it’s your own damn fault!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

It use to mean something when you were a customer of 40 years, now I wonder why I have given my Business to such a dishonest, dysfunctional company with the worst service level imaginable - Bell Canada! After reviewing the bill that my wife normally pays, I questioned why the T.V. was so much money, and the long and the short of it, was promotional channels that were added and just kept on being added to our bill over the years. When I question on what authority they could do this, they said it was an email sent out stating the added programs. I asked for the email stating this and the authorization and of course they could not produce the email saying it was too long ago and they don't keep this information - this was only after many calls and escalations later. They also said - it is my responsibility to check my bill - wait a second, you add something to my bill without authorization and I am responsible for your error?

Reading other reviews, it seems other charges are being added to bills of consumers - so check that bill, it is only a matter of time as to when a class action suit will be brought to the attention or the CRTC by some lawyer who realizes the abuse of companies like Bell in charging consumers for business they have never ordered. When challenged, Bell can't provide any support documentation, emails etc... to support the added charges - so strongly suggest you look at your bill. The customer service of a company that calls itself a 'communication company' is abysmal - with wait times of 30 plus minutes or more if you ever do reach a real person.

So what to do? File your own complaint, hold 'big business accountable'. I know the other communication companies are much the same, but when customers start leaving and customer retention is slipping - they begin to notice - Rogers asked me the other day, what they need to do to get your business back (cell phones). In closing, shame on Bell for not providing any consideration and yes, I will watch my bills more carefully especially with the new communication company that we switch to and hold them accountable.

I should also mention, we have had horrific experiences with internet and spent a year with different technicians who all blamed the previous technician for mis-diagnosing the problem. Despite letting Bell know about the problem and weeks of interruptions - there was no compensation. Instead they wanted to debate the hrs. that the internet was running properly. Hope others will take the time to post your frustrations for the benefit of other consumers and hold big business accountable!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We ordered a Cottage Plan satellite dish package where we paid for the receiver and Bell installed the dish. The installation was free and the Bell system was installed. We had continued problems with signal drop, system shutdowns, and incorrect remote control. Three separate techs were dispatched to correct satellite positioning, incorrect control, and setting tv to HDMI3. We were billed for each visit but told not to worry because we were not being billed for these visits.

Our first bill arrived one month later for $606.89 instead of $78.95. We have made over a dozen attempts to call billing to correct the problem but end up speaking to customer service in the Philippines where they either promise they will resolve the issue and provide a confirmation number and email. Callback attempts show no notes in the database, fictitious employees and employee numbers, lies upon lies and then 4-5 calls a day from the collections department. There is no way to be transferred from the Philippines to Ottawa Customer Service. If you do get Ottawa Customer Service, they will keep you on the phone stating name, employee number and confirmation numbers that never show in the database.

Our new bill arrived several days ago and increased to $753.74. We have spent dozens of hours trying to resolve this bill correctly with people that do not have the authority or integrity to resolve this billing issue. Bell employees do not know product promotions, how cost is generated nor have the faintest clue on what true CUSTOMER SERVICE is really about. We continue to deal with Bell over the phone to resolve correct billing (currently been 124 minutes) but issue a warning to anyone looking for a satellite solution, RUN FAST, RUN FAR, from Bell since they smile and lie about their products and service. THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE dept. in this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We moved to Bell hoping for better service 3 months ago. Since then we have been receiving constant interruptions for internet and TV. Their technicians doesn't know what's the problem or the source of it. Each one of them blames the one before him. In one month we had over 150 service interruptions and it's still going with no solution. They only say that they are highly monitoring our issue but no solution.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Worst Service as well Worst Customer Service. People don't understand English. They lie. In one day spoke to Tony, Laura, Mark, Jennifer, Denis, and Micheal. Have been having issues for one year. Still can't fix it. Called in to cancel service. Was told by Denis that they will compensate for the loss of service. When I called back they said, "Sorry. You are still in promotion. Can't do anything for you." What a great company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

In July of 2018 I was over on data. I paid the data fees to have my phone outgoing call reinstated. On July 20, 2018 I call customer service to add 3 GB of data. It was not added when I was assured it was added. During that call I asked what my account balance was. The employee told me I had a credit of $20. I used my data (for income reasons) and on July 22, 2018 my phone was again restricted for data usage. I paid 150.00 via credit card and had service again. On July 23, 2018 I called Bell customer service again to find out the extra data was not added and received a long winded nonsense explanation from the employee. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Waited 2 hours and called back. Then spoke to John employee # ** about the data and I was told data was now on and I had a 172.03 credit that would be applied to my August bill.

I made another payment in July for 44 dollars after knowing about the 172.03 credit because I received a text. My total amount owing was approaching my credit limit. So August bill date comes. No credit and service suspended. I call Bell customer service and spoke to employee # **. This employee stated, "We are current producing your bill," and she unlocks my phone. She states By August 9, 2018 it will be all cleared up. Now today August 4, 2018 my service is suspended again! I call Bell. Talk to Marie employee number **. Whom stated my bill is 459.00 for one month!! I blow up now and I talk to Mark employee number **. He apologizes and says, "Yes. There is a credit for 216.03 and no balance in your account," and assured me to shut off my phone and turn it back on and it will work. If there is an issue dial *777.

Well guess what. It didn’t work!! My call directed to customer service and back to square one with no credit but rather a huge balance and restricted outgoing calls. Waited several hours with no callback from the manager or supervisor! I am currently cutting my losses and moving to a new cell phone provider. Do not. I repeat. Do not become a Bell Mobility customer!!! Their customer service is awful and their billing is close to fraudulent in my opinion! I have strong reasons to believe I will never receive my 215.00 plus dollars in credit from Bell.

Don’t be taken advantage of by this horrendous company! This fifteen year customer will never have another Bell product or service. My adult children left Bell services for reasons similar to this several years ago. They sucked me in with so called Loyalty upgrades. Don’t be sucked in. Don’t be taken advantage of. STAY away from all Bell products! It took me several years to realize how horrible the Bell Company is!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Bell Canada provides misleading information through their customer loyalty department. After several calls in the past as a 20+ years customer of Bell about Bell Canada increasing their prices for services, their loyalty department convinced me to stay with them with what they told me on the phone is a "promotion Package". Now that it's time to cancel because they have again raised their prices and is not competitive with another provider, they are now informing when I called to cancel their service that I agreed to a contract which they confirmed by e-mail at the time they provided the "promotion discount". They claim that they confirmed that I have a contract by e-mail.

The agent never mentioned that during the conversation or I would not have agreed. Bell in their retention effort is misleading customers with calling the discount "promotion discounts" and not ever mentioning on the phone that the "promotion discount" ties customers to a contract... The real story. They are charging $100 for terminating the contract before the term which is very discouraging that the government is allowing companies to hold consumers to contracts which is obtained by this type of misleading sales tactics. I would suggest that old folks with no access to internet is being taken advantage of with this type of tactics by Bell and would like to receive a call to further discuss my concerns.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

A few days ago I got internet service through Bell, since the signals were not strong enough for the large size of my home, I requested them to send me signal boosters which did arrive a day later than originally planned. Not big deal, I called for technical support as the Pods needed set up on Bell.ca. The agent Mr. ** agent ID ** informed me that he can’t help since it’s only self serve service online.

I asked me if he can provide me with my account number so I can register my account at least, which he refused to give as company policy and said I need to wait a few weeks till my bill arrives and all this conversation took over an hour with exorbitant wait times and Mr. ** refusing to help any further and telling me "Good luck and have a great day" and hung up, now can someone tell me where do I go from here, need to take this up to the president of Bell for cheating honest hardworking Canadians of service they say that they take pride in providing. How the hell do I set up the signal boosters provided by the company. This happened on August 2nd 2018 at 530 pm for the record. I sincerely suggest this staff should be fired not only for the sake of the aggravation to customers but for company policy in providing Customer Service.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Over the last few months, I have noticed in my online billing statements with Bell Canada, that there is a fee being added to individual's bills that would normally go unnoticed because the charge/fee is only for a few dollars per month. I happened to notice it because I had several issues a few months back that took several months and several government agencies and complaints to resolve. This fee is listed on your bill as a 'late fee unregulated'. Look for it. Whether in your online statement or on your hard copy bill.

My personal bill is issued monthly and only online. (Screenshot enclosed). I have paid those bills AHEAD of the bill actually being issued, so no late fee could be added as the bills were paid in full, on time and before bill issue right? Wrong! Bell is fleecing the Canadian public in new and interesting ways by charging UNREGULATED LATE FEES, that is the key word. UNREGULATED. Here is the scenario. These fees if I hadn't noticed them, would amount to between 30.00 and 36.00 per year on a bill that amounts to under $100.00 per month for internet services alone in my case.

There are 9.008.000 Bell customers nationally throughout Canada. I'll do the math for you. With this 'unregulated late fee', that is 270,240,000.00 dollars that Bell Canada have just taken from the Canadian public with no legal repercussions whatsoever by the Canadian Government because this is a charge that no one ever thought to regulate. If you aren't mad yet, you should be! Ask yourself, why in 2018, the Canadian Government has not legally intervened and issued a regulated Terms of Services contract that service providers are obliged to use without alteration, nationwide. A contract that protects the consumer and legally holds providers accountable for illegal activities and obliges them to provide the services promised and paid for by Canadian consumers.

We are now, officially, an undeclared extension of the United States where Capitalism is King/Queen/ and President, and the Canada and the Canadian Government that we used to know that protected its citizens and whose social programs and society were based on socialist ideas and ideals is officially dead. Insert The Purge TV alert here... Capitalism Reigns/Oh Canada!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Recently I ordered TV & Internet from Bell... from 1st day TV Receiver started to reset by itself. I called on Bell Technical Support. They sent me a new receiver, now I have 4 bad receivers in 2 weeks! So am fed up. I called to cancel services. They said I have to pay 150$ cancellation fees! If I used the service and want to change fine. Fair to pay. But the service actually never worked. I went through hell for 4 weeks and now they want fees for a service technically it does not work?? Welcome to Bell.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Bell has the best tv and internet service (quality-wise) in my area, but they are the most dishonest and unethical company I have ever dealt with. You sign a contract with them, and before you even get the first bill they send you a letter increasing the price on all three services. When you call them about it they say to read the small print. Most of the complaints given to ConsumerAffairs also apply to me. They are a horrible company.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Need to share this unbelievable experience with Bell. I waited until my contract was up to cancel my service. In their system they put in a date two days before the contract ends and they send me an early cancellation fee. I called to complain and get my money back and they said they need to investigate this to go through recorded calls to make sure I didn't cancel two days before contract ends. I said even if I made a mistake with the contract date, you guys would not make the adjustment or tell me to wait a couple of days to call back and all she says is that they need to investigate. WOW, this is truly unbelievable.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been subscribing to Bell for internet, mobility and TV for several years now. This month I was promised an increase in download speed; they were going to double it. Well the 100 mbps I was promised haven't materialized. After three visits by technicians (and I will say they are punctual in their appointments) the speed is still around 12-15 mbps. Bell may say in their defense that the building is over 50 years old, and that the circuitry is not what would be ideal for today's world, but they shouldn't be allowed to sell download speeds that simply don't exist.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My iPhone ear piece stopped working June 5 so I contacted Bell to upgrade. After spending time on the phone we came up with a new contract. Just prior to submitting the order, the specialist and I applied my new address to the account. She said it was a good thing we did that so the new phone didn’t end up at the wrong place and kind of laughed. I was told it would arrive in 3-5 business days. I was excited for a nice transaction and my new phone. Well a week went by without a phone and I had a hunch it ended up at the old address, which it apparently did. They said I’d have to wait for Canada Post to return it to the Bell warehouse then they would resend from there. They guessed it would be another week to two.

I waited a week and called back. They said it should now arrive in about 2-4 days. Once it reached the 6th day I called back. They said they have no telephone contact with their own warehouse and would have to email them!!! What?! At this point I was informed the phone was being held at Canada Post for a week when it was sent to the wrong address and could have literally got it at that point and he was surprised nobody told me this. At this point it has literally been exactly 5 WEEKS and I still don’t have a phone. I’ve been offered a $50 credit for their absolutely HORRIBLE service. I asked him if there was a note on their computer stating to treat me as poorly as humanly possible.

The customer service is very friendly but I have been misinformed and given the run around since day one. I would actually cancel my service but I trust this company so little, that I actually am confident after them saying I currently have no payout penalty, they will slap me with a large penalty. I am stuck in a hard place and have talked to several managers with zero resolve. I feel like I am a butt end of their joke. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SERVICE.

Original review: July 12, 2018

My advice is - don't use Bell for services. I scheduled to have internet service installed in Montreal on 7/6/18. I received a confirmation email for the installation on 6/24/18. I received on confirmation call from them on 7/4/18 @ 6:18pm saying that they would be there on 7/6 between 12 and 5 for the installation. They were a no show and a no call. I called them that evening and asked what happened. They said that there was an external problem with the internet and that they would call me within 24-48 hours. No call. I filed an escalation on their website on 7/8. I called them again on 7/9 and they told me that they would call me within 24-48 hours. They confirmed that it was an external internet problem. No response.

Finally, I called them to cancel on 7/12 - a competing internet company installed my internet within 24 hours with no problem. They did cancel the order; but, they said that it was a problem on with identification and there was no problem with the internet. This is the first that was ever mentioned. This was probably someone who was trying to cover for bad service by blaming the customer. The company is, at best, disingenuous and most likely dishonest. I would avoid them if at all possible.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We switched to Bell 3 years ago from Rogers because they have the zero dollar phones that my husband wanted. When his Note 4 broke, they said they could not do anything. We sent it to "get checked" nothing happened. We got swindled by one of the tech shops in our area. We had to buy a new phone and opt him out of the shared plan. And that's when the inconveniences started. I switched the account on my name. Never told there was a fee. It was 45 dollars for a freaking transfer! Every month they have new charges that I did not use/know of.

So every month I needed to call them and fight the useless customer service reps in order for the charges to get refunded. And their customer service is the worst, it seems that 90% of the reps have language barrier! It is very difficult to talk to them. I paid 62 bucks for a stupid 2.5 GB. Whenever I cross the border to the states, they offer 100 MB for 7 dollars. WHAT A JOKE. I turn off all my roaming settings and data and still they found a way to charge me!

When that promo of doubling your data was offered by Rogers, same was advertised by Bell that they will honor the same deals. Went to the mall and Bell said I was not eligible and told me some BS about Bell and MTS being different and separate (but their name says BELL MTS!). No company made me this angry. It was the most awful experience. Do not switch to Bell. Trust me on this. Went back with Rogers and my friends are with Telus. If you are with Bell and would like to leave, unlock your phone first. DO NOT LET BELL KNOW AT ALL COSTS YOU ARE LEAVING. WAIT UNTIL YOUR NEW PROVIDER ACTIVATES THE SAME NUMBER UNDER THEIR COMPANY.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have been a customer of Bell Canada for at least 15 years, I dropped my phone and broke the screen on my new SG7 and requested it be repaired and I would pay for the repairs as it was my fault. I spoke to someone from India who could not speak very good English and the phone was returned without repairs done after they said they would repair it. I chalked up the failed repair as a language problem and called back and requested to speak with someone from Canada. They refused to let me talk to someone from Canada and even tried to put me in touch with someone who pretended to have a Texas accent while I could hear laughter in the ground.

From the time I put in the repair request to the time I attempted to have it repaired a second time they failed to update my billing for three months and then slapped me with a $711 dollar bill which I told them I could not pay all at one time. I told them that I would pay 200 (145 being the regular monthly fee) a month until the remaining amount was paid off.

They said that would be ok and that they would make a note of it in the system but for some reason I would get two daily text messages and phone calls from the billing department which would ring me hang up and then ring me again over and over. I eventually had to block the number. I called and attempted to contact someone in Canada which they refused again and they claimed they had no notes in their system of the agreement. They cut off my service and continued sending me texts and started calling me from different numbers so I couldn't block them... Some of them would just hang up and dial me back. At this point pretty much harassment.

I had to call them from my work phone registered in my company's name and tell them what was happening. Again they wouldn't let me talk to someone in Canada and as soon as I hung up with them after unsuccessfully resolving the issue they started texting me spam for new phones up to three times a day. Even though this was a brand new phone. They were clearly doing this a as harassment technique. I called in and canceled my contract and now owe 911 dollar bill. India has the rudest and crudest support centers and Bell should be ashamed of outsourcing to the companies that operate there. I will be moving to Telus for the time being.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I am with Bell Canada for telephony/internet/TV. We changed in January from Videotron to Bell but it was not a good idea. Because making calls Canada-wide and international it is really expensive with Bell, we choose Comwave as provider for this service. It is the same company I used for 10 years with Videotron with no problem. Starting January we can make any calls in Canada or overseas. We call Bell and Comwave weekly but they send us from Bell to Comwave, saying it is not their fault. I have no idea what I can do, I can't call my sons in Canada, my friends overseas but I am paying my bill monthly for nothing. Last week a Bell representative told me that I am right, the configuration is not good but, today a lady told me that everything is fine, nothing to be done at Bell. I am losing my time and my money for nothing.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Deregularization of the telecom industry in Canada has had no positive effect for consumers. Bell Canada's service has continued to worsen while their dishonest sales tactics have resulted in class action suits against them by both customers and employees. Get frustrated enough to mention that someone should take legal action against them for their dishonesty or incompetence and their reps have been instructed to stop talking to you, obviously the result of so many lawsuits.

Meanwhile their Executive leads a lavish lifestyle, unaccountable for the damages this company wreaks upon the average person in the street. My personal experiences over the years have simply astounded me with the lack of accountability of their rank and file and the depth of their incompetence and dishonesty. While I have come across some top tier individuals in this company over the years, the corporate culture of this enterprise does not empower them and rewards instead the dishonest, the corrupt and the political.

Original review: June 30, 2018

The worst company ever, they will treat you like garbage. When it comes to get their money they will come behind you. They will call you every minute. I had with the company the 400Mbs internet, I was late to pay one day. They cut the service. After two months I changed the company and I forget to cancel the service, so they were asking me to pay four months payment. Thought they know I didn't use the internet.

Original review: June 27, 2018

On my Nov-Dec 2017 bill appeared an overcharge of $276.37 which I was really responsible for about $50 which I paid, the remaining amount couldn't reach an agreement so I escalated it to the CCTS. Many months went by and I get a call from Bell's executive office just to let me know they are still proceeding with the overcharges so the CCTS assigned an investigator to fully look into the matter. It's been over six months and got tired of fighting with Bell for peanuts and decided to go with another provider but now I had $120 overcharge balance after paying my monthly fees. I couldn't use my phone with another provider because Bell had my phone blocked. I sent an email to ** and they say they get back to you within 48 hrs. It's been 3 days and no word from them.

On top of that, after I called them to notify them about my last payment and they wrote down the reference number, in the next hour they canceled my service and they said it takes 3-5 business days for the payment to go through. I call them to explain to them what a terrible experience and such awful customer service they provided. I wanted just to leave them and ask them kindly to unlock my phone. I mentioned that I wasn't happy with them and that I was so tired of dealing with their terrible service and that I could see what kind of company they are if they charged me those $120 overcharge remaining on the account or they just let me go. So they decided they will only unblock my cell phone after I paid the remaining unfair balance. So that is the kind of company Bell is, they will fight every penny even if they lose their clients.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Bell Canada called me to strike a deal, better speed internet, same price I was paying previous company. Seems good right? WRONG! Every month Bell has tried charging me for TV, saying it's having TV AND PHONE, which makes my internet price so low. I do not need TV and phone. What is MORE, Bell constantly send me a bill higher than the one we agreed upon. In one year I have had to call 3 times. Every time I call, the call is outsourced to Tunisia, India, Philippines, or another country where English is their second language. These people are slow, they waste your time, they repeat things and constantly say "I am checking ma'am" without actually doing ANYTHING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

It is beyond frustrating and the WORST COMPANY I have honestly ever encountered in my entire life. Bell Canada does not care about Canadians or providing good service. They are shady, - and it takes hours to correct your incorrect bill every month. Hours of your time spent fighting these people who do not even understand what you are calling about (no offense to them!)

Original review: June 27, 2018

Called Bell Canada for a small business internet service. After a few "deals" that did not match my budget or needs, the customer service representative proposed a $78/month deal based on a 3 year contract for internet Fibe 50 with a fixed IP address. That person assured me that this is what I would pay and failed to mention that this price could actually change at any time. Bell (he) gave me the impression that to have/keep this price, I would have to commit to a 3 year contract. I accepted the deal at the beginning of a month, to be installed on the 1st of the next month, so roughly 25 days later. I received an email stating that my monthly fee would be $78 with a contract attached on the next day of the call.

Bell came and installed the necessary hardware on the 1st of the (next) month and I used the internet for 26 days, until I received my first 5 pages bill of $137.18 full of annotations and whatnot, which made no sense at all and no mention anywhere of the $78. I called the small business customer support for explanation and reached a first representative that tried to make it look right by losing me in some calculations, that the billing cycle starts on the 10th and that there is an extra 10 days at a pro rata that is added to my bill. Unfortunately, that person failed to find a formula that explained the gap between $101.40 ($78 + 9 days pro rata) so at this stage I was ready to cancel my services since it was clear that I got tricked into it and was already paying the price.

As I was not having it; that representative bounced me to another representative, who basically tried some other mental gymnastics to come up with a reason why my bill is of $137.18 and failed to do so, and finally ended up passing it as a billing error, while she had tried very hard to justify the amount for the longest time. That person was the rudest person I have ever talk to in my life. Contemplating her failure, she told me to pay the full bill and that I would get a credit over my next bill, which I refused. I told her to send me an updated bill of the right amount which she refused to do so.

That person also let me know that my $78 could go up at any moment has the fine prints in the contract reveal, and that to cancel my services, it would cost me $500, since the "cool-off" period had already ended. I told her that I didn't want to be in business with a company that already tried to scam me off at the first bill and because I had been using their service for less than 30 days, I should be able to just cancel without any fee.

She then hung up on me. I'm now trapped in a battle with Bell who can basically does whatever the hell they want with the price of the service and I am not sure if I will be able to get out of it without paying outrageous fees. Side note on the cool-off period, it starts when receiving the contract, so by the time I could first use their service, the cool-off period was already over, which is counter intuitive to say the least. In any other case, you would pay for something and start using it and return it if you are not satisfied, which is not possible to do with Bell.

Original review: June 21, 2018

After years of frustration with Videotron, I signed up for Bell after speaking to a representative who assured me that the plan I chose would never change in price unless I changed services. Three years later, the price goes up $10 per month. I call to ask why; they say it had been a "promotion" that ended. I complained that this had been misrepresented to me, and they agreed to give me a new plan that offered faster service for the original price I had been paying. Ok, great. I asked for a confirmation email and was told that would not be possible. I should have realized what they were doing. One month later, no change to the increase in my bill.

I phoned back and explained the situation again, not to one but two representatives who asked me the same questions over and over, and kept trying to sell me services I don't want or need. I became frustrated and said that if she couldn't help me then I would simply cancel my service. The agent chastised me for being "argumentative". Finally, after I confirmed for the FIFTH time that all I wanted was my original service at the original price, the agent gave me what I asked for. Twenty minutes of hell and now my blood is boiling. I can't believe that Bell treats its customers this way. And the agent I ended up speaking to was in their "Loyalty" department.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I am a 20 year customer. I was convinced to purchase a new bundle (with Fibe TV) which would ultimately cost me less per month. I am now being charged almost $40/month more. I spent more than a half hour on chat trying to resolve it only to be told that I need to call another department to cancel the Fibe and get back to my old rate. They sold me something then they tell me to remove it??? Makes no sense. Now I have to call someone else to try and correct it... more of my time. And, they have gone ahead and charged me when I did not agree to pay this amount every month.

Original review: June 19, 2018

The worst company I have ever dealt with. Dishonest! As other reviewers have remarked they guaranteed me a fixed monthly rate for two years in January 2018. Within 4 months the rate was already increased. I called customer service to complain - nothing they could do other than offer to terminate service for $150 penalty. When I requested transcripts of my original calls when ordering the bundle service I was told only "the court" could order these transcripts! As usual, the dishonest runaround. Filed a complaint with the CCTS. Suddenly I get an email saying I can get transcripts but it will take up to 30 days. Some manager also called offering a 5$/month discount for 12 months.

I refused saying I wanted Bell to honour the terms of the contract I agreed to. Unfortunately, delivering service as promised is beyond Bell Canada's ability. I am hoping to use the transcripts of my original calls to take Bell to Small Claims Court as Mr. David ** did in April 2018 for similar dishonest practices by Bell. Mr. ** represented himself and won. I have also contacted Go Public the CBC initiative to address such dishonest business practices as Bell continually carries out. I will forward copies of my call transcripts to both the CCTS and Go Public who are talking of a class action lawsuit. In addition, Bell is continuing to bill me which they are not supposed to do while the CCTS is investigating a complaint. Do not deal with Bell. Zero stars!

Original review: June 17, 2018

Best company I switched to. They are really helpful, their service is really good across Canada and their plans are cheap and really effective.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I waited 3 days for internet service... each day I called and they said to wait to midnight for dry loop to be completed. Is that their standard response in training??? Why is it they act like they have no info in front of them... don't they take notes from the call? If they do, then they are complete idiots. 3 days to get someone who knew what they were talking about... they are going to have to pay me to stay with them. I am done, forever with Bell.

Bell Canada expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bell Canada is the largest communications company in Canada, offering mobile phone, television, Internet and home phone services. Customers receive discounts when they subscribe to more than once service. They have both traditional landlines and fiber optic lines. The company is publically traded on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Montreal.

• International plans: Customers can choose from several international long distance plans, including unlimited calling in the United States and Canada and unlimited worldwide calling.

• Extra features: Bell Canada offers call waiting, caller ID and call forwarding to interested customers. The features are included in the price of some plans.

• Online support: Customers can use the self-serve options on Bell Canada’s website. The website provides troubleshooting tips and informational articles to help customers with any questions or problems. The website also has a live chat feature so customers can get instant answers to other questions about their service.

• Protection plans: Bell Canada offers protection plans to ensure customers aren’t financially responsible for repairing damage to phone lines.

• Safety and security: All Bell Canada phone plans are compatible with home security systems. Traditional landlines also make it easy for emergency personnel to track emergency calls.

• Best for: Bell Canada is good for residential customers and business owners who want the reliability of a landline and/or any customers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Bell Canada Company Information

www.bell.ca

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business