1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

741 Bell Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Called to disconnect. Agent asked name and address 4 times, put me on ignore for approx 20 min but made sure I could hear them, laughing, insulting me etc. Hung up. Called again. Complained to next agent who just sluffed me off.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Cancelled my internet, tv and home phone THREE MONTHS AGO. Had to call MULTIPLE times as agents kept incorrectly leaving services open! MOVED TO THE US AND I AM STILL BEING CHARGED 3 MONTHS LATER! I have dealt with soooo many service agents these past few months who keep telling me the erroneous payments will be refunded. Now today one extremely rude, and condescending online agent tells me I actually will not receive a refund yet can’t articulate why. Complete imbeciles. Stay far away from Bell. To top it all off, I cannot even call the customer service line from the US — it only directs me to Bell Mobility who cannot help me so I am left to deal with imbeciles copy and pasting scripts in the online chat. Don’t let Bell scam you out of your money after you cancel services!

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

On January 8th I asked that my home phone be disconnected January 24th. I knew I would have to pay for the month of January but in Feb. are still charging me for home phone service. They say I have to pay and will get a credit. In the email they sent me in January stated I had a 44 dollar credit. Nope. Still have to pay. Not going to and I'm cancelling my internet with them as well. The person I spoke with said she could not change what was in the computer. BULL!!! I have been a customer for 19 years.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Today I had to call Bell service THREE TIMES. Three days ago we had a major snowstorm. Since then, the phone line had a lot of static, and the static caused my DSL modem to fall in and out of connection. My DSL service is NOT with Bell, but piggybacks on their infrastructure. I thought nothing of it at first... "Snowstorm and damaged equipment happens, I'll just wait a couple of days and it should be fixed..." Yesterday morning before I went to work, the phone line was still working, although it still had static. When I came back from work, no dial tone anymore. It's not a hard break on the line, since my DSL modem still works (but still falls in and out of connection). So today I called Bell. After wrestling around with the automated phone system for a while I managed to talk to someone.

I asked that first person if there was any open ticket in my area already, because I figured the issue can't be just in my apartment, and must have been reported. Turns out they don't even have that information. I obviously have no need for a technician to come to my place, since the problem is obviously outside. I told this to the first person I talked to, and I told her to open a ticket and to write down that I will not be there for the technician, that he can just fix the issue outside and leave me a voicemail after it's done. She tells me she will transfer me to the right department. She transferred me to Internet service support. Strike 1.

Second person I talked to gave me a phone number to supposedly talk to the technical department. The number with local area code is out of service, and with the typical toll free 1-866 I end up on some strange automated service that doesn't identify itself as Bell, and asks me to answer "poll" questions like "How many people above 50 years old in your household?" Obviously I hung up. Strike 2. At this point I've been on the phone with Bell for almost an hour, and I am seriously losing patience.

Third person I talked to I set straight from the start. I gave her my information, and told her to look up my two previous calls in their system and see if the previous two had taken any notes. They haven't. I explain to her that I am nearing the end of my rope here, and that what will happen next will depend on how carefully she thinks before answering. I told her I am not angry at her, personally, but that the company service is complete and utter **, and that I am tired of wasting time with them. This time she took me seriously and opened a ticket. The worst thing is ALL THREE of them tried to sell me additional services. I'M CALLING BECAUSE THE ONE SERVICE I HAVE FROM YOU IS NOT WORKING, DO YOU *THINK* I WANT MORE OF THE SAME? Worst. Company. Ever.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Upon closing my bill with the company PAID IN FULL. I followed up 3 weeks later to confirm that they had received the receivers for the internet and cable.

They confirmed they were received and that my account balance was $0.00. 4 months later I have credit bureaus calling me saying I have an outstanding bill with them from October 2018. I cancelled my services with them in AUGUST 2018, I had moved out of the country by September 9 2018, again prior to doing so I already confirmed I had no outstanding payments. If I was no longer in the residence let alone the country in September HOW is it possible that I have an outstanding bill in October?

This isn’t the first instance. They previously (on another account in a different residence) claimed I never sent back my receivers and that I owed them over $600.00, luckily for me I kept my records from UPS and they “apologized for the inconvenience” if I had not kept those receipts they would be expecting payment.

It is a disgrace that Canada has such limited options when it comes to cable service providers.

Companies like Bell, Telus, and Rogers, control the market and are the dictators of this industry. This should not be legal. They run their business on the hope that their customers will not understand or question their “mysterious charges” which sadly, we don’t because we don’t want our credit to be negatively affected. We have no rights when it comes to disputing charges, these companies just send it off to collections and we are forced to pay. I have received no phone calls or emails from Bell in the past 4 months. But a collections agency had contacted my mother, whom I have not lived with in 10 years. Very suspicious, very disappointing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Bell's customer services really SUCKS. It's the worst I’ve ever dealt with. I was with Fido and Rogers and they are so much helpful and efficient. Bell customer services are very impatient/rude and do not help me solve problem at all! I called a few times for a same problem. It's really a waste of time and in the end I have to request a recorded conversation with the Bell agent I spoke. Hopefully the problem can be solved.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Spent 1 hour and 47 minutes on phone with them, trying to resolve a problem with them. They accidentally made changes to my phone line when I upgraded my internet. They wanted to charge me to put back my features back. Unbelievable!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I was changing my account from regular payments to automatic payments personnel and Bell charged me both amounts $272 twice and will return my money. I live on Odious P government support program for disabled people. I need that money to live with the rest of the month to buy my medication and they’re hanging onto it.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

When I moved in October 2018, Bell Canada stated they would send me a return label to send back the TV equipment to them. By November, I hadn’t received it, so I called in to notify them and to request it be sent. I expressed my concern that although they were negligent in not sending the return label to me, I would somehow get blamed and have an astronomical charge on my bill. The reassured me that wouldn’t happen and that it had been entered into the system that I had called and that a return label hadn’t been issued. They stated I would not be charged.

In December, I still had not received it so I called again and had the same conversation but with more urgency. I expressed my fear that their inability to send me a return label as promised would result in a large bill which would directly impact my credit. I was told that would not happen, it had been entered into the system and it would me mailed out to me.

By January 2019, I still hadn’t received the return label, so I had to invest more of my time and call yet again. Repeat of the conversations in the previous 2 months. This time, I was told I didn’t need a return label. That he could simply give me a Reference Number to provide to Canada Post. I was almost frantic in my urgency that I not be charged for the equipment. Reassurances happened again. I stressed the negative and dire consequences it would have. When I returned the equipment, I called Bell Canada and provided the Tracking Number. I stated I wanted it entered into their system. He said he entered it and that it would reflect equipment was on its way and that no charges would be applied to my account.

Today, February 8 2019, I received my email and saw a bill for $1073.79. I just invested nearly an hour of my time in being transferred around, getting nowhere. Yes, they did received the equipment but didn’t adjust the bill. No, they can’t retract this incorrect bill and issue a new one. No, they can’t reflect in their system that I’ve paid the bill in full if I only pay what I owe ($62). My next bill will be credited back the charge of the equipment but that is not the issue. I’m not sure what else I could have done to prevent this from happening. It is Bell’s error. I was incredibly diligent in trying to protect myself and prevent this from happening. Now, it will reflect on my credit that I had a bill over $1073.79 yet only paid $62 towards it. I’m outraged yet not surprised. Bell doesn’t care about its customers.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

They don’t even deserve a single star. Bought 3 phones from Costco in a contract with Bell for my family. Used them for more than a year and all my bills on time and but when I upgraded my devices and canceled the contract they sent me the final bill and I paid that too. Now they are sending me a bill of 1800 of data overuse. Never use Bell again and will tell my friends not to use.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My family and I have been loyal customers with Bell for years (over 15 years of tv and mobility). Recently, I’ve had to change my father’s account to add more data. They completely change his plans and removed his “unlimited Canada wide calling”. He’s been charged 170$ for “long distance calling”. They refused to pay it back and only got us a discount of 30$. His contracts ends in October and I will definitely change providers!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Most unethical, frustrating, not helpful "customer care". They will fight you to death to NOT give you credits that you should be 100% entitled to (even when it is THEIR mistake)- they do not listen, and they certainly do not care. Was receiving 50mg service (home can't support the 100mg service I've been charged for the past year, I've had several calls (and technicians issuing tickets to have this rectified) on May 28, Jul 23, Oct 17 2018 & 2/6/19). Asked for a credit to be reflected for the service I was receiving (50mg), was told a credit was in progress-never received it. Now the company is refusing to reimburse me for this for the full year when I was charged for a service I did not receive.

Also- because the billing was set up as 100mg service, anytime the modem was unplugged or there was a power outage- my cable/internet would crash (it reset to 100mg which is unsupportable speed) resulting in 4 separate 1 week outages in a 6 month period. No credits for this period without services was issued either (they refused). I've wasted a total of 15.5 hrs dealing with billing and technical issues altogether. I have not had ONE helpful phone call- ONE rep that truly tries to help or even LISTENS. They are just ready to give you the most ridiculous reasons as to why you won't receive your money back- even when they did not deliver on a service you have been incorrectly paying for.

My advice: save your money- go elsewhere- and if you decide not to listen to that- do NOT waste your time trying to get them to help when an issue comes up (because it 100% will come up). THEY WON'T LISTEN, THEY WON'T ACTUALLY HELP. Just escalate it to the commission for complaints for telecom-television services.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Signed up for Cyber Monday, was told my monthly bill would be $**, got my first bill it was ten times that amount. Contacted Bell, they claimed $**/mo was never our contract. Waited for the $150 credit card that was part of the Cyber Monday "deal." When it came, I was told it would be yet another 30 days before Bell could activate the credit card-- even though I'd already waited 60 days for the card to show up. Always evasive, lying to my face, and this last credit card scam the final straw: am canceling my service. But what chance do I have in Ontario, the land of Big Telco Fraud and zero consumer protection? I would be thrilled to see Bell suffer a catastrophic disaster. That's what scum these shysters truly are.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

When I signed on to Bell for phone/internet/TV I was told the 3 yr contract would not change during the contract period. Suddenly I get a bill charging almost $10 more a month for phone. I had asked if this would happen before having the service installed and was told no, there wouldn't be increases for 3 years. When I called was told that this is not so. Will definitely look around and consider changing service providers. Bell doesn't seem to understand what the word CONTRACT means.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I stayed with Bell for 2 years. At the beginning I was very happy. Later there was extra charges on my Bell. Once they waived one time which is nice of them. And that start happening again and again. And what pissed me off was After upgrade I got my first Bell around 200 which is fine. I called to inquire more details. The agent was rude to me, and I said, "You know what? I wanna pay off the device and leave the company" and he was happily guiding me how to do that. Like seriously, they beg to bring one customer and they don’t care if their existing customer are not satisfied and leaving. Was really disappointing. No more with Bell.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Be careful, when they are selling you the services the sales rep will confirm that there are no cancellation fees but when you try to cancel the services they come up with fees that you have not agreed on. I would never use them again. The worse customer service in the country. The authorities should do something as they are taking advantage of their customers.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have been Canada for 8 years and I started to use Bell mobile phone service since last November. In the past 2 months, I had really really bad experience with Bell. Bell charged unreasonable fee on my account without informing me first, I won't use Bell anymore.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Do not go with Bell Canada - for one they charge unwanted charges on your bill. Then when you tried to get them to explain they say, "Well basically that's your problem and you have to pay." They don't work with customers' needs at all. I had this issue with them with my phone years back. I went back to Rogers. Have been a loyal customer to them now 5 years. I decided to go with Bell for cable because of the no wires but now that Rogers has that option I have switch over to them. At least they care about their customers wants and needs and they actually listen. If something on your bill or if you want to make payment arrangements they work with you beyond. Unlike Bell. I would call Rogers first before you call Bell and end up paying ridiculous amount of money to them!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Hi, I am a Bell customer, paying 67 CAD per month around. In last week of Dec 2018 I had called Bell to enquire about taking new phones on contract, as the prices were not good, I have told no to go with new mobile & not to break the contract. Suddenly Jan 2019 month charge has come 591 CAD, customer care representative told that, "You are out of contract." I tried to tell- "I have not broken the contract, please listen the recordings what you do for quality purposes." They mentioned, "Whatever is noted by representative, i.e. final, you have to pay money, otherwise connection will be cut." What should I do, can I go for consumer court?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Bell Canada has been sending out techs for about 6 months now to repair our upstairs landline. After 10 different Bell experts going in and out of our house on different dates, the phone still has someone dialing up in the middle of our conversations throughout the day. We get phone messages such as, "LINE IN USE. BUSY" and no message at all. At times there is no dial tone. At times there is other people talking on the line or just a beeping sound. The biggest joke is through all this Bell has the nerve to have their collections department call us numerous times throughout the day demanding payment of our account.

So now we have a cable strung from our Bell box at the side of the house to our neighbour's Bell box, it goes along the back wall up the fence, up the neighbor's wall down their downspout to their box [what a beautiful site] and still the phone doesn't work properly. So we have to call the BELL CALL CENTRE located in the PHILIPPINES, WELL WHERE ELSE WOULD YOU EXPECT A Canadian company to have their call centre! WHAT A JOKE.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Very bad company, always trying to take advantage from customer. I requested my Bell internet service transfer from Oct 15th, and after that I got phone call for confirming that my service already been remove, until I check my Bell online, they still charging my internet for extra 2 months. Then I called Bell Canada, they were telling there has nothing notes said I requested for internet transfer. What a joke. You guys called me back for confirming that my service was transferred, now you saying there has no note said anything under my account? Then I called over 5 time upon on this issue, they still saying they couldnt do anything, every time after they said they will call me back in 7 business days for the result. I never get call back, and when I call them back, they told me my conference number different than what they have. OMG, I really hate this company, and I dont have other company that service my area. This company is a shame!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Was not happy with every month being charged for outgoing AND INCOMING long distance calls from within Canada. There are a few issues here. I shouldn't be charged for incoming calls. If I did pick up a call it was coming from BC to Alberta and bill amounted to around $20 for 21 minutes which is exorbitant and I don't agree that I had that amount of incoming calls. Also for the long distance calls they claim I make outgoing were false because I used Skype for all my calls.

When I was asked for assistance I was told to call another line. Prior customer service experience with other providers, the customer service assistant should put me through to the department for me. Some amount should be included in all accounts to allow for some calls within Canada. And a customer should not pay for incoming calls. Customer service signing me to up to use Bell originally were nice.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have been trying for a year to have my service change. When I signed up originally I got a package with TV, WiFi and phone. After 2 months I decided I only needed internet, so I asked them to change the service to wifi package Fibe 50. When I got my first bill it was Fibe 15 which is the basic package so I also got billed for going over. When I called them to fix it and credit me, I was on the phone for over 3 hours. I got the credit but they did not fix the package. This keeps happening EVERY MONTH - it's been over a year!

So literally every month I have to call them and go through this entire process and they can't seem to fix it. Then a few months ago, some genius decided to "cancel" my account. Even though I still get service, every time I call I have to explain the "cancelled" account. In Nov 2018 when I called again, someone finally told me that a technician had to come in to install the Fibe 50! This was the FIRST time I had heard this. So the tech came and it turns out that my building has fibre cables but was never hooked up for service. They were supposed to call me back to schedule a team to come in to hook up the building. It is now mid Jan and no one has called me.

SO today, Jan 19th I have called them 5 times, been hung up on once, transfer and placed on hold 6 times, transferred to wrong departments 3 times and my account is still "cancelled." I am still on the wrong package getting charged overages and no date for a technician to come hook up the building or my service. I have been on the phone for almost 4 hours at this today. This is BEYOND RIDICULOUS! There is zero accountability or service or respect for customers who pay for a service not to mention their paycheck. LITERALLY THE WORST COMPANY EVER! If you have another option, do with the other option. Unfortunately I don't!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Signed up with Bell 2 years ago (well almost 2 years). Got a reasonable deal for everything, mobile, internet and home phone as well as tv. I was guaranteed a certain discount each month which I did receive. However I was duped into believing that the price would also stay the same for the two year period. Wrong! The discount stays the same but the price increases regularly, I must mention that quality of service was not an issue.

Upon obtain a quote from my local cable company I find that I can switch everything and improve the plans for a total of $120.00 less a month, better cell package, better TV package and way faster internet. I reached out to Bell and inquired about price matching and was told that they don’t do that and was also told what my payout would be and to just go ahead and switch providers.

That’s just what I have done, so far the cell phones have been switched and everything else happens in two days from now. A few hours after switching the phones I get a call from Bell. Apparently new special team put together to find out why I switched providers, and attempt to lure you back. Number one I explained that I gave them an opportunity to retain my business which they refused, number 2 they offered exactly what the new provider offered? A little too late if you ask me. And as info new provider gave a written guarantee that the price is fixed with no increases of any kind over the 2 year period. Long winded review but I think Bell has a lot to learn about customer retention.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Have had nothing but headaches dealing with Bell. Billing cycle on the account doesn't match the billing cycle on my phone and I'm being charged an overage fee for going over data but my phone is showing that I'm still under the limit. I honestly feel as if Bell is just a legal con artist that rips their customers off left, right and center. Horrible service. Cannot wait to sign with another provider!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have a prepaid cell phone $100.00 worth of minutes good till October 2019, no monthly fee. Now Bell are going to charge me $5.00 monthly fee and give me 10 minutes a month (no rollover). I don't use 10 minutes a month, I can go months and not use the cell. That five dollars they are going to take ends up to be $60.00 of my $100.00. Bell says they can do this because they sent enough notice. GOODBYE BELL. And I won't be renewing my Bell landline, FibreOP and internet once that contract is up.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Hello, I bought an iPhone X on the contract and I paid $16 for the insurance. My plan is totally $105. Now my phone is lost and I claimed for that. I have all the proofs of insurance but insurance company and Bell refused to give me the replacement device. Then what is the benefit of insurance. They just simply say we are sorry... Insurance company said that I have all the insurance but my account has been abused but when I ask what abuse I did with my account they said they cannot tell me because of the security reason...**. How would I know what happened to my account. They simply denied my request even I paid monthly insurance. Can consumer department help me? Is there any department who gives me justice? I am not rich that I can buy a new phone???

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Five originally was great. I endorsed it when asked by family and friends. Then it began to decline in service. Interruptions of service, freezing of images, distortion on sound and image synchronization. Call center was mostly a very, very long process with a good person or totally clued out person. More and more required area service people. More and more required people to come to the house. Except those people were personable and knowledgeable and a last resort but solved issues often doing things way beyond me or needing outside co-ordination. Now I see constant decline again and again with PVR. First it starts with PVR full when that is impossible. Reboot irrelevant. Then recordings and On Demand experiencing technical difficulties and finally Netflix unavailable. Then hours of trial error, supposed customer service from the other part of the globe by people only reading a script and do not care if there is a resolution or not.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

What a monopolized horrible company. None of the people who work there care about their jobs. They don't even know what they are talking about. I was sold a specific phone on Boxing Day at a great deal. It took almost a month for it to show up in the mail. And they sent the wrong phone!!!! I phoned in and the guy I talked to said I could send it back but since the rep who placed the order had typed in the wrong phone they said that there is nothing they can do. I would have to order another phone and there would be no boxing day deal on it. Are you kidding me... I waited until Boxing Day to order a new phone and was so excited. This is Bell's fault. Why am I getting taken advantage of? Huge inconvenience and a waste of my valuable time. I have been a loyal customer for 10 years. Well that ends today. Good riddance Bell. I'll be going elsewhere. What a joke of a company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I wrote a review on BELL the other day as they screwed up my account and messed up our plans then overbilled and I paid off the account and shut it down 3 times and paid it off again last week and I got another call from collections today... OMG. When will it end. I contacting my lawyer today as this has been going on for 9 months. The worst company ever!!

Bell Canada expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bell Canada is the largest communications company in Canada, offering mobile phone, television, Internet and home phone services. Customers receive discounts when they subscribe to more than once service. They have both traditional landlines and fiber optic lines. The company is publically traded on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Montreal.

• International plans: Customers can choose from several international long distance plans, including unlimited calling in the United States and Canada and unlimited worldwide calling.

• Extra features: Bell Canada offers call waiting, caller ID and call forwarding to interested customers. The features are included in the price of some plans.

• Online support: Customers can use the self-serve options on Bell Canada’s website. The website provides troubleshooting tips and informational articles to help customers with any questions or problems. The website also has a live chat feature so customers can get instant answers to other questions about their service.

• Protection plans: Bell Canada offers protection plans to ensure customers aren’t financially responsible for repairing damage to phone lines.

• Safety and security: All Bell Canada phone plans are compatible with home security systems. Traditional landlines also make it easy for emergency personnel to track emergency calls.

• Best for: Bell Canada is good for residential customers and business owners who want the reliability of a landline and/or any customers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs