1.08/5

785 Bell Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

For years I have a monthly plan with Bell Mobility which included in the price 1 GB of data but in February 2019 Bell started to charge data as extra without letting me know in advance. I contacted Bell Mobility, disputed the charge and cancelled my phone service. They agreed to credit the data charge but then on April 10 they billed me for $30 plus tax for the approximately 130 MB of data that they claimed I used from February 1 to Feb 16? Why do they charge me for this data when my monthly plan with them for years included 1 GB of data is beyond me. I spoke with a supervisor at Bell Mobility today and he agreed to give me a discount of 50%, means that I now have to pay only $16.95 (tax included). I will pay for this amount but I still think Bell should have not charge me for the data in the first place. I am hoping that the Canadian Government will be able to do something to protect the consumers from being ripped off as in my case.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I terminated my contract with Bell internet back in August 2018, and in November 2018, I get a notification that I owe them $227. Turns out they lost my modem that I returned, and I had to pay for it.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I really find fraudulent hiding the bill breakdown. The little + is very hard to find ... especially at tax time. And what are "additional charges"? Where do you find them. Bell is right up there with Boeing, Volkswagen, and Trump. Dishonest is a bar too high for Bell.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I want my bill corrected. It should be 76.60. This has happened many times. This has happened many times in the last year. On this attempt to correct, Nell from Bell in the loyalty department hung up on me. This was after been transferred 4 times in 2 hours trying to resolve this error on Bell's part. The call was dropped on the Bell end. She had all the info but never called me back. I am certain she knows that she can contact me and not me with her. She said I had made changes to my account and not Bell.

I denied this again as in another a previous time when Bell had to make a correction and told her so. Twice she put me on hold and I waited more than 20 minutes. The current problems seem to stem from increases made without my knowledge or permission to the contract I made for one year's service back in May 2018. The corrections have always been with patches and never correcting the problem. I have and will continued to e-pay a total of 76.60 HST included, which was the amount I originally contracted with Bell.

A secondary issue is the end of my 1 year bundle. I only require phone with caller ID and internet. I would like to negotiate the next billing terms. I mentioned that MNSI has a monthly phone and internet fiber package of $80.00 which never changes or needs correction. What I would like is a two-year Bell contract same as my neighbor.

Original review: April 11, 2019

It was a terrible experience! After 3 days from the contract, Bell disconnected my phone when I was on a family trip in Jasper. I did not have any access to them to ask the reason. After 4 days when I back, I went to the store and they told me that the disconnection was to verify the identity!! They connected after I phoned them! They do not have any customer loyalty plan, and in addition, it is very difficult (and sometimes impossible) to reach the customer service department through the phone. I won't extend my contract to this company anymore, and I terribly regret to have not disconnected my plan sooner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?

Original review: April 10, 2019

Every month I have to waste my time and call Bell Canada accounting department to complain that my payment still shows on my monthly bill as balance forward, despite it's paid 3 weeks earlier via web banking. They always assign the payments to the wrong account. Now, I have decided to call my payment with credit card to make sure it's applied to the right account. So frustrating. I wonder how this company survived for so long.

Original review: April 9, 2019

$890.00 cancellation fee for terminating my ridiculously expensive land line for my business. What a joke, no wonder everybody hates Bell. I am waiting to celebrate the day this thieving company goes under, good riddance you buncha bums.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I am ice road trucker and 31 January 2019 I arrived at Yellowknife, NT for 2 months season. I bought phone and sim card and call to Bell to book pay as you go mobile service for 2 months but Bell representative advises me month plan 35. I was agreed but suddenly I got first bill for 84.35$....48.97 for January, 48.97 for February (nice business charge customer month fee for one day only in January). Both two month bill included data service 10.50$ what I didn't order. I made call Bell right away and I explained first I didn't use any data service at all and I don't need it....

When I get another bill for March there was still 10.50 fee for data. I made call March, 15 to Bell and cancelled service (I have paid all three bills by the way). Took off sim card from my phone and start use another sim card...And today I got another bill for Aprill for 10.50$ data service fee. I have never ordered and used data service but how many months or even years I have to pay Bell? So for several local calls in Yellowknife about 10-15 minutes total I paid 133.32$ and I have to pay 10.50$ every month. I don't know how long....Nice company and service. People be careful with Bell

Original review: April 1, 2019

This is a bit of an older situation but their poor service continues to amaze me. My husband died. He had Bell, I had Virgin phone. I decided to move all to his because mine was for emergency only. Virgin was awesome, understanding it was because of a death, no additional charges. Then the saga with Bell began, and sadly ALL of this is true: I call, they say I need to send a scan of his death certificate within so many days or they will cancel ALL service. I scan and send right away. Then they phone to threaten me that I hadn't scanned and said they were cutting off my phone. I call and it is sorted out because they already had the scan.

Knowing the situation to change the name, (i.e. my husband died) they charge me a fee (I think $50) to change to my name. They subsequently say they will reverse it. They do not. The argument goes on for so long, I contact the Toronto Star's ombudsman to help. I promise to (and do) give the money to the Star's charity. It was not about the money. They finally reverse it, and two months later they put it back on my bill! When I contact them they refuse to take it off. I again contact the ombudsman and it gets reversed again, but, they actually call me to say "we had every right to charge you."

This is just one example but they have overcharged and then refused to fix things several times. Last time their excuse was "we can't reverse a charge if it is already on your bill." I said "how can I know what you're charging me until I see it?" It took 3 hours to get this fixed. They overcharged me $50 for a service I said in writing I did not want, and they finally offered to take $25 off. After the 3 hours they took off the $50.

Original review: March 29, 2019

On Jan. I move to new location so I cancelled the service and return the modem as requested. Bell received the parcel on Jan. 29. But recently I received $218.86 bill to pay. Because I had very bad experience with Bell 15 years ago. So I collect each useful information, like parcel returning tracking number. Otherwise if you can't approve you do your part very well you will spent a lot of time to solve the problem. My suggestion is "if it's possible, don't touch Bell, leave them far away". My previous location had no option, only Bell supply service.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My father has a pay as you go plan with Bell, as of the beginning of the year (2019) they started taking $5.75 off a month, which they told him about via text messages. There was no explanation in the text-messages why they were taking the money out each month, and after it occurred for a few months in a row I went with him to the Bell store to speak to a representative (previous attempts to speak to a 'real human being' on Bell's customer service line took much too long to make calling them about the issue a viable option).

The representatives at the Bell store did their jobs properly and explained to us why Bell was taking money off each month when his previous plan was to pay $100 for the year and pay for each phone call and text message as he needed it (the phone is only used for emergencies). I do not blame the Bell store representatives for being the messenger in this situation, just the policies of the Bell company. The representatives told us that at the beginning of the year they changed the pay as you go plans and that they were now automatically taking $5 off plus tax a month and that in exchange he would receive 10 min of free calling a month.

I am not impressed that Bell decided to make a change to this plan without giving us any forewarning, and that they just decided to start taking money off of the prepaid account. They did not give us an option to opt out of this change in plan, nor did they offer to give us the money back that they had already taken out even though they had been taking it away without our knowledge, agreement, or consent as we do not have a signed contract for that plan with Bell. Overall we are going to continue with Bell until the money we have already paid for the plan runs out, and then we're switching to a different company that is more transparent in how they treat their paying customers.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Moved into new place 1st of March ... They have made 3 appointments. Confirmed them with me.. and no one showed up. Then when I called customer service only to get attitude from someone I could not understand. I then asked to speak to a manager and they went off on me I think asking me why do I want to talk to a manager. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! Oh I think she gave me a Direct Number as well.. feel free to use it. **

Original review: March 27, 2019

The biggest run around from Bell. I have been a loyal customer for years: mobile phone, satellite tv, internet hub (very expensive). A new internet service came to my area, when I called to get it I was told it wasn't available in my area. Yet it was available to my neighbor who lives two doors away on the same street, when I checked my address online it didn't exist in Bell's check your availability system, yet my neighbor's address was on the Bell system. When I tried to explain this to the Bell customer service worker I just got handed off to different Bell employees with promises of return phone calls that never get returned... And to add insult to injury the new internet service was offered to customers that were not Bell customers first. If you were an existing (loyal) Bell customer you had to go on a waiting list to get this new service... so much for being rewarded as a loyal customer.

Original review: March 26, 2019

The worst customer service, the way they talk is respectfulness, I explain ** to them and the supervisor told me, "You can talk 10 times a day." And she is not even answer my question. I think the company have to put more attention for hiring people. I cut my service and I am telling you guys, never go to this company otherwise you gonna regret.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have never been spoken to so rudely by customer service at Bell in my life. I have been cut off, asked for a callback by the Loyalty Department twice. Unacceptable. I was crying and shaking from the the rudeness. No one should be treated this way. His name was James from Bell.

Original review: March 26, 2019

We have tried three times to get a family line added to a cell contract, and have had zero success with them. Our last attempt was yesterday, after being transferred to FIVE different people, then ultimately hung up on, we gave up. I am cancelling my contract today. (That is, if I can...if they 'let' me.)

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have been tying to contact Bell since Feb 2019 to explain why I am still be charged a monthly fee for a cellphone that is not under any contract that I requested to suspend since Jan 2019. 3 attempts to make contact and all I get is this ("All our agents are currently assisting other customers" etc). Rate this company is going, they soon won't have any customers.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I've been a Bell/Aliant customer for over 9 years, and have nothing good to say about them whatsoever. Over the course of my stay with this company, I was lied to multiple times by their so-called accounts receivable department, which is incidentally operated in a 3rd world country, by people with no accountability whatsoever. Nevertheless, I was relieved to end my 9 year association with this company when an alternate service provider came to our small community in Newfoundland. To which I'd add, I would rather die than have to do enter into a business agreement with this horror of a company again. Consumer beware, if you're in need of internet of cellular services, do yourself a huge favor, and steer away from this dreadful company. PS. Bell Aliant is owned by BCE Inc. who also own; Bell Mobility, Virgin Mobile, Lucky Mobile.

Original review: March 26, 2019

This is the worst company I’ve ever come across. They think they own the Canada. Please stay away. Let’s together make them to bankruptcy. They deserve this. They can not handle single conversation. They don’t have a people to answer phones and questions. Stay away.

Original review: March 25, 2019

This is the worst company I have dealt with, very frustrating dealing with Bell. I have a contract and every month my bill keeps increasing, all they have to say they are upgrading. Every person you spoke with has a different story.

Original review: March 23, 2019

They lie, cheat and lose your service tickets. Service sucks, though a couple of technicians tried to be helpful once they were here. Almost everyone I talked to had heavy accents and they just shovel you off until you're either frustrated or their office hours are closed. They pretend to care, but do nothing to help. Any arrangements you make with them are not honoured as they will lose the ticket where that agreement has been made. They have no emergency department, so no matter what your concerns are in the off hours, no one is there to help.

I honestly believe they have deep systemic problems and are a major source of poor mental health. I have a brother who is schizophrenic and his bill is routinely paid by a trustee, yet Bell sends him messages every time he turns on the TV threatening him of disconnection due to an unpaid bill, even though it is dutifully paid. My problems with them are so long and unbelievably horrible. If you can avoid doing business with them you'll have a better life. Bell Canada is the Evil Empire!

Original review: March 23, 2019

I am a new home owner and choosing a service provider for our internet and tv was something I never had to do before. I had to take into consideration my other finances and work with a budget that will fit me. I just moved to Milton and for those of you that do not know, the service providers are limited here. The only companies that I knew of were Bell Canada and a few others that I never heard of before. Because Bell is such a popular company I decided to go with them thinking that I'd rather go with a service provider that I knew of and is well known. BAD DECISION!

I am only 6 months into my contract and I already tried to cancel with them within the first 2 months. Why? Because they are straight up liars. They hide information without telling you what you're truly paying for in order to make a sale. I'm not too sure how their system works but being in a customer service industry that deals with clients on a daily basis, in my profession we always TAKE NOTES on clients in order to avoid any negative interactions and provide the best customer service possible.

From Day one they should of put notes on my file showing that I was already frustrated due to the fact that I felt lied to and wanted to cancel my contract. But no. Dealing with everything new person who picks up the customer service line they just continued doing what they were doing to make me so upset. First off, from the beginning I wanted a contract that would include NBA. First of all I do not care for TV because there is so much other things you can watch now with just internet (Netflix, Youtube etc) that TV these days is NOT NECESSARY. But because I was looking for a good deal, they offered me TV and internet in a package. Now once again, I STRESSED THAT I WANTED TO WATCH NBA GAMES.

This incompetent person failed to tell me that it was only a 1 month promo and after that it would cost extra money to add it to my contract. I have already worked a set price as part of my budget and surprise surprise when a month passes and I try to watch the game-I am unable to do so. Calling in frustrated I had to fight 3 times before being escalated to a higher up customer service and they finally worked out a package and offered me something cheaper than what I was originally paying for per month and it included NBA channels. The trick was I had to get a HOME PHONE. Who the hell (excuse my language) in this day and age uses a home phone but whatever.

I agreed and took down the customer information (Alan employee #**) to ensure I do not have problems in the future because at this point this company lost my trust already. First month goes by, the bill doesn't match. It ends up being cheaper (I agreed to $120.74 taxes in and my bill was $104.00). I called in and it was because I didn't activate my home phone yet - fair. I got a home phone. Within the next month my husband gets a phone call offering us 2 months free on movies on demand and in order to avoid the charge after that we need to cancel before the 2 months are up. He says ok - we agree.

The next month's bill comes up and the $120.74 (taxes in) that I agreed on went to $149.99. Called in again, FURIOUS. Not frustrated, FURIOUS. He said that I got charged for movies on demand but how it works is that they give me a credit 2 MONTHS LATER. Such B.S! Why the hell don't these stupid people just SAY THAT so we can politely say NO THANKS! Like all it really is here is communication and providing facts that match the service you choose. I got so upset and after multiple attempts (Cherry employee #** hung up on me) Louise (employee #**) reduced my bill to $121.74 taxes in which is 1$ above what I was originally promised. Please note, the 1$ difference isn't the point.

The point is I had to fight for what I was promised to be charged for and it still wasn't the same as what I was promised. Like holy crap I want a simple contract with monthly charges that are the SAME EVERY MONTH for what I agreed to pay for. I paid the $121.74 and 1 week later I get an email saying that if I do not pay the remaining balance of $28.25 I will get charged a late fee. I haven't called them yet because I'm trying to calm down or I will lose all professional demeanor I have left to give to these people. You guys are plain stupid. No one messes up this much and if you do then you should seriously get fired. I'm so over it with BELL. I love Milton but it's such a shame that other well known companies do not service here like Rogers.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I was told the phone/internet plan service was free by an agent who approached my small business with a $500 'credit' lure applied to my phone/internet bundle plan. After 5 months, I receive a call from the billing department chasing outstanding bills. I ask them to pull up my account details, and they apologize that they can see the $500 credit and that I do not have to pay for another 10 months.

In another 3 months, I call to change my business address and just out of curiosity, ask how much balance I had left, only to be told I was already owing $299. They say the $500 was only applied to my phone but not the internet account. So I ask them to transfer the remaining credit to the internet plan, and close it immediately since it was nothing like I expected, only to be told that I would have to pay $500 early cancellation fees (on each account). How do you expect small businesses to thrive with scammers out there like you, BELL? Scam Scam Scam all round. Their customer service would say they would transfer you, only to cut the line on you. Truly a terrible company, don't deserve one star.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I lost my cell phone August /September 2018. I called Bell to cancel the service. I was told that my phone will be replaced in two weeks. Never came, billed every month - October I called again, credit the amount I was billed for. Told I will get a phone in 2 weeks. Never came. Went out the country. I was still billed for the last 6 months without having a phone. This is March 2019. Called to cancelled service. I was told I have to pay $41.00. Can you explain this? No apologies from Bell.

Don’t be scammed by this provider.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Out of all of the different mobility services I've had in my life this has been the worst. I asked for a decrease in my monthly bill while I was away overseas for 4-months. The manager over the phone agreed. Later on, she tells me that I was making calls overseas which I have not. She agreed to change my plan until I was back in Canada. I found out later that she had canceled my phone completely. But I was still getting charged for phone usage and overdue fees which I had originally tried to pay for using my credit call in the initial call.

The bill kept increasing back home, with overdue fees, hurting my credit with no way of me finding out because the mail is getting sent to my house while I am overseas. I now had no phone to call Bell. I had originally called to change my phone plan and pay and pay the difference, not cut off my phone, so I was left without a phone, and I couldn't even call the company to pay because my phone line was cut off, which cut off my online login.

I had to borrow a phone to even reach Bell mobility, which they told me the initial bill had multiplied x3. I've been a loyal customer for over 3-years. I had never even called my mother for her birthday while I was overseas. No calls and data were used at all. Then I was getting charged more now for trying to pay. Bell will scam you and if you try to fix your services with them they will not help you at all and just charge you more if they believe you are going to decrease your plan. Worst provider available.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I went online to chat with service to find out if I could change the font size as was possible in the past. I was jerked around for about 20 minutes asking my account number, Bell One bill account, last balance paid etc etc. There was no need for this, I wasn’t adding or changes services, it was a simple question. I had my previous TV thru Shaw, only changed to get a better internet speed. I will be cancelling my Bell Fibe TV.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I hate Bell and the only reason I use it is because I am basically forced to. I moved into a new building that only allows for Bell Fibe. They keep raising the prices and the customer service is very unhelpful. They lie to me all the time telling me I will be paying x amount and I end up having to pay more. They lie also by selling packages that they claim to be "free" and then I am charged for the service. When I ask them to remove it they say they cannot because then I will have to pay more money. I wish I could use a different internet provider.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I just canceled Rogers and ordered Bell Fibe TV about 2 months ago. Everything worked great for about 2 weeks and then I lost my signal for Fibe. I've had 3 different technicians come in and give me the run around about what the problem was, then I had 2 technicians not show up. I have been without cable for 4 weeks now, and they dont seem to want to fix it but they still charged me 208.00 dollars for something I can't even watch. So I canceled their services today and now they want to try and charge me a cancellation fee, when they're the problem.

Original review: March 17, 2019

They are scamming me. They are charging me for internet but it says that I have not set it up yet but I have and it is acting like I'm a new customer but I have been with Bell for a very long time and it says I cant connect to my internet.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Bell Canada, increases bill every 3 months without providing actual reason for the that. They say that they improve their system and it is underground. I don't buy that. Most of the time after 12 am I had hard time to open any pages for 30 to 50 minutes. When I called to cancel the service, they left me on the phone and agent disappeared. This happened me more than one time. Whenever we do speed test they don't pass 96Mbps and the package they have sold us is 300Mbps. They tried to keep us with them and they reduced the bill and they said they did not change anything regarding the service and it turned out they removed most of the TV channels. They told also there will be no contract and it was not true. Their customer service is not in Canada anymore. I will never ever buy any service from them again. Bell Canada is my nightmare. Bell Canada is a dishonest company with overpriced service.

Bell Canada expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bell Canada is the largest communications company in Canada, offering mobile phone, television, Internet and home phone services. Customers receive discounts when they subscribe to more than once service. They have both traditional landlines and fiber optic lines. The company is publically traded on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Montreal.

• International plans: Customers can choose from several international long distance plans, including unlimited calling in the United States and Canada and unlimited worldwide calling.

• Extra features: Bell Canada offers call waiting, caller ID and call forwarding to interested customers. The features are included in the price of some plans.

• Online support: Customers can use the self-serve options on Bell Canada’s website. The website provides troubleshooting tips and informational articles to help customers with any questions or problems. The website also has a live chat feature so customers can get instant answers to other questions about their service.

• Protection plans: Bell Canada offers protection plans to ensure customers aren’t financially responsible for repairing damage to phone lines.

• Safety and security: All Bell Canada phone plans are compatible with home security systems. Traditional landlines also make it easy for emergency personnel to track emergency calls.

• Best for: Bell Canada is good for residential customers and business owners who want the reliability of a landline and/or any customers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs