Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.09/5

Bell Canada Reviews

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

TL;DR: I had the worst experience ever with Bell, they never solved my problem, send me from department to department. Would recommend any other company above bell.

As an incoming exchange student at Queens University in Canada, I honestly had the worst experience possible with Bell as an internet provider. It started when I wanted to open an account to have Internet at home for a period of 4 months. Bell told me that I had to have a social security number, which I did not have as I'm not a Canadian resident. However, after meeting with 2 other Bell representatives I was told that this was not true and I could open my account.

Sadly it didn't stop there, I signed a contract which required me to pay 69,95 CAD each month. However, each month I got charged 100+ CAD. When I contacted them to discuss this problem, they assigned a case manager who would take care of the problem and gave me a discount so I only had to pay 69,95. He assured me that he fixed the problem and I would not encounter the problem in the future. Unfortunately every next month I had the same problem, which resulted in me having a monthly call with a Bell case manager to fix my problems.

When I was happy that I was able to close my account, so I wouldn't be bothered by my previous problems, other problems arose. Bell told me they would not refund my deposit of 200 CAD (which I paid for the Internet modem) as I hadn't been a customer for a long enough period (the Bell representative who sold me the contract ensured me they would refund my deposit when I closed my account knowing that I would only need the account for a period of 4 months). After a call of 3h they realized they had to refund me. I was relieved I would not have to deal with Bell anymore in the future.

Nonetheless I had to contact them again as after 2 weeks I still hadn't received the deposit. After contacting them again I learned my account wasn't properly closed and they randomly changed my billing address to an address in Afghanistan, while my billing address had to be an address in Belgium. After calling them and convincing them that Belgium was a real country in Europe and not some kind of city in Alabama, I hoped the Bell saga was finished. But today I had to contact them again as apparently they lost track of the mail (which contains a cheque to receive the refund) somewhere in Canada and they had to start the process all over again. I don't know a lot about the Canadian internet provider market but I would recommend every other company above Bell.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I have been a customer of Bell for over 10 years and have only stuck with them because of lack of other choices available in my area. But as of today I am done with them!! I wasted a whole day off work to accommodate there install of wireless home internet. This is after 4 other days that I had to meet technicians to try and repair my dsl. Their loyalty department suggested going to the wireless after the dsl was deemed too old. I have never been so frustrated with the lack of customer service for such a piss poor product that is overpriced. An hour after the install of my wireless internet install it was down, to which I called to have a repair technician come back to repair and was told I could make an appointment for tomorrow between 8-12. How can you sell a product that doesn’t work an hour after the install and expect the customer to waste another day to accommodate their repair!! Goodbye bell you will never receive another penny from me.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Finally...after years of weak infrastructure issues, Fibe service to my neighbourhood verified by Bell door to door sales person,... is now available to me at this time. Excited to use the new technology for TV and Internet. An appointment for installation was executed promptly by that weekend. Spent the day removing my existing equipment and wiring and installing Bell equipment. Hours of time spent changing passwords for all devises and log in for everything to work, including the Fibe App. The tech was courteous and took time to explain how the equipment should work. All TV's worked and had a great picture. Internet speed ok during the first few hours, but couldn't get any ChromeCast devises to work. Tech explained my chrome cast is probably old or deficient. The tech left, said just call for any questions or issues.

I tested Fibe system by using my TV's and devises like usual over a 24 hour span.
          1) Internet speed never peaked over 26 mbps.
          2) Chrome cast devises never connected.
          3) Couldn't send an iMessage from my attached garage to anyone in the house, internet dropped easily.

4) While streaming tv, buffering issues.

Texted with tech a few times to explain,.. his best answer was to set up an appointment via Bell Service. I tried that....after multiple attempts 310-Bell not answering I gave up calling. They give you a ten day cancellation deadline or you're locked in for two years. Because of this time sensitive policy, I started the cancellation process via their online chat immediately. Spent another day installing/re-wiring and programming my original services and re-instating IP. "Magically" my internet (40 mbps), and chrome cast devises work as intended, no internet dropping or TV buffering.

Bell billing isn't sorted out yet. I have to drive to send their stuff back via Purolator depot. They won't pick up the stuff. WARNED me it will cost $199 for one item, if not back to them within three days of snail-mail notice I received. Don't know when I will get notice to send the other stuff back? Not impressed at all. I don't have any reason to recommend Bell. (Always a headache!)

-Disappointed / Unsatisfied Customer-

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

After over a year and a half of attempting resolution to an ongoing deterioration of signal strength and dropped calls, in which I was forced to upgrade my phone to use my home based internet, I went to another company (Telus) because they offered a no contract plan for half the price with the same criteria and better customer service. Though I mediated with CCTS to get out of my contract, and everyone I spoke to at Bell and the mediator agreed I had a case, the top level Loyalty boss seemed only too happy to lose my business after over 10 years, having several times insisted they had no plans to improve their signal. Avoid this company at all costs, as it ruined my small business of 25 years. I am presently gathering data from my 20+ neighbours, who across the board have had the same signal deterioration. The lone tower locally is owned by Bell.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I called Bell Mobility to check if there was service in my area. Answer: "Oh! Yes great signal. The best." Ok I bought it. Got the sim card. Tried to call, no service. This was Friday January 31, 2020, so I cancelled on Monday the 3 of February 2020 and got an invoice on the 4 for 92,20$. If I was making money doing that I would be in jail.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Phone lines were not working for 3 days. Never did the company bother to call me to explain the situation. Offered me 14 dollar bill credit for two business lines I have with them. It was an insult. Customer care executive was very rude. Very unprofessional company.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I would rate them negative stars if I could. Worst company I’ve ever dealt with. If you can avoid going with them. PLEASE do. I cancelled my plans with them, they called back to see what they could do to keep me, tried giving me a free phone but I wanted the iPhone Max. Said they Couldn’t, so they gave me the iPhone 11 Pro for $50. I asked probably 10 times that it was just 50... no secret charges on my bill, every time I asked they said, "No. It’s for just 50 dollars, you won’t be paying monthly for the bill". Well I found out I’m paying for the phone monthly. Not even the phone I wanted, either or. They’re awful, and anyone who works in customer service knows not to argue with the customer and that’s all they do. I’ve never not been argued with. Also in 8 months my phone bills added up to $4000... don’t ever ever ever go with them. Worst decision I have EVER made.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I've been a Bell customer for 20+ years, for no other reason than they're the only option for the services I need in the area I live. Throughout that time I'm continually baffled by the ineptitude of their customer management. From service to billing and any other opportunity for Bell employees to engage a customer...they're awful. The examples I could give from my personal experiences are enough to write a book so I'll mention only two points: 1) I recently moved but was keeping my Bell services. I called ~8 weeks in advance, explained when I wanted certain services shut off and when they should be transferred to the new home. They screwed up everything, shutting off my internet (which I need for work) a month early.

When I called I was told they couldn't turn it back on (???). Only after a frustrating ~90 mins on the phone, my issue was escalated to a manager that explained they in fact could and would fix the issue. My internet was back within 2 hours. (2) I've never missed a payment on my bill, but I'm occasionally late a week or two (I travel for work, have kids, life's busy). Despite my perfect record I continually get a phone call from a live person letting me know immediately when I'm overdue. How about a ~$0, less intrusive email or text instead??? If Bell invested half the $$$ they spend on people calling zero risk customers like me, on properly training their first and second level support staff, my two issues would be solved!!! CRTC, please open up the Canadian market. The service options we have today are overpriced and only viable because of the lack of alternatives.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I don't know who designed the steps. Funny thing is I received the $50 visa gift card and when I went to activate, there is no activation link. Just waste my time. If they don't want to provide gift card why didn't say at the beginning and why did they send broken system to us and waste our time. The internet speed is terrible most of the time on top of this broken system. Definitely not going to continue next year with Bell. Either stay without internet but no bell anymore.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Went and got a new plan. Was told (by the dealer) I had to get the new lowest plan which made my old plan Null and void. The new plan is one gig less data a month and $10 a month more. When I could’ve just bought the new phone out right and kept the old plan and save myself $20 a month. Because the new bill $10 more comes with higher taxes now. ($280.00 saved) or keep old phone for another year or two and save over $2000.00 for this year old phone and the newest molder was way higher in price to buy out right.

FYI when buying a new phone turn off your cellular data.They’ll try to get you to transfer phone to the new phone in store and if it WiFi fails in store or slightly slow your new phone as auto if slow data from WiFi to automatically it uses your data because your data plan on your new phone is active when sim goes in new phone. Hopefully your cell mobility provider stops it when your data hits the overages of your new plan. It did not for me. I paid over $160 in overages but they at least stopped when I was five gigs over my plan which has five gigs. Only because it became laws changed and they were forced to have a limit on their data services. It sucks to learn life lessons this way but hopefully someone reads this and learns a lesson for me. I would say screw BELL but I’m stuck with them for two years now with new plan. So my hats off to BELL for bending me over and spanking for what little money I do have to spend.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Bell Canada expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bell Canada is the largest communications company in Canada, offering mobile phone, television, Internet and home phone services. Customers receive discounts when they subscribe to more than once service. They have both traditional landlines and fiber optic lines. The company is publically traded on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Montreal.

• International plans: Customers can choose from several international long distance plans, including unlimited calling in the United States and Canada and unlimited worldwide calling.

• Extra features: Bell Canada offers call waiting, caller ID and call forwarding to interested customers. The features are included in the price of some plans.

• Online support: Customers can use the self-serve options on Bell Canada’s website. The website provides troubleshooting tips and informational articles to help customers with any questions or problems. The website also has a live chat feature so customers can get instant answers to other questions about their service.

• Protection plans: Bell Canada offers protection plans to ensure customers aren’t financially responsible for repairing damage to phone lines.

• Safety and security: All Bell Canada phone plans are compatible with home security systems. Traditional landlines also make it easy for emergency personnel to track emergency calls.

• Best for: Bell Canada is good for residential customers and business owners who want the reliability of a landline and/or any customers who want to bundle multiple services.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team