3.7/5 (1105 ratings)

About Bell Canada

Bell Canada Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

This company is a complete rip off. Not to mention when you try to close out your services its like a bad break up and they start stalking you. I literally spent over 7.5 hrs. From 9:30am - after 4pm trying to port my number to a different provider. I was bounced from department to department and on numerous occasions the line was disconnected and I'd have to call back and start again. One of the reps from the "loyalty department " started to Interrogate me about my finances and how much I was going to pay with my current provider. Then offered me services for the same price but didn't have all that I needed. When I tried to decline she began to slander the other service provider. The whole ordeal was terrifying and uncomfortable.

I wouldn't go back to Bell if they paid me too. On top of it all I ended my services with them in the end of Nov. And I'm still receiving bills for the services I canceled and when I call about it they advise me to pay or there will be a penalty and that they will eventually settle up the balance of the over payments with me... The whole reason I have to drop Bell is because of the financial impact of the pandemic...it's just so overwhelming. I give - 1000 ⭐'s and tell anyone considering using bell to BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Bell Canada are Thieves. I had one of the unlimited internet packages when I would get my bill it would not be for the agreed upon amount there would be huge charges with no explanation. I would call asking why my unlimited internet was twice the price and ask for a breakdown of my bill. Bell would mail me an amount owing statement with no breakdown. Each time I asked when I told them to send me a proper breakdown or cancel my account they put the mystery amounts in as "usage fees" adding random charges to unlimited internet makes it not unlimited. They would threaten to send you to collections if you did not pay the random charged they would add to your bill.

Needless to say I stopped doing business with these thieves for life. You would be better buying internet phone of cable from a shifty guy in a trench coat in an alleyway. You would face less corruption and theft that way. 0/10 do not give this company your money. They will steal from you and if you call customer service they will leave you on hold for hours hoping you will give up.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Customer with Bell for one year (Home Internet): they are crazy expensive, their customer service is essentially fraud, and the service provided is not even good. Service Review: I lost Wifi connections for entire days sometimes (required tech visits to fix 3 times), modem took 30-40 minutes to reboot every time and that did not even help (even though I went through 3 different modems). So I ended up wasting lot of time every time on the phone with technicians who would keep rebooting the modem as they didn't believe me when I warned them (which is fair, but by the 4th time you'd expect they make some note in the file or something).

I also was paying for the Fibe 50, but the upload speed was max 1 mbp (instead of 10) and the download speed max 26 mpb for a year - eventually one tech figured out that the previous one had capped my service at 25 Mbps instead of 50. After he fixed it, the speeds went up for a few weeks then back to 25 again. All of this I had been relatively tolerant of as I live in an old house, relatively far from downtown (still in an urban area), and mistakes can happen. It's the customer service that really convinced me to leave Bell. Btw, what they call Fibe is not optic fiber in most cases (in my case it was DSL). Customer Service: They will absolutely lie on the phone about promotions you are eligible for and what changes they are making to your account. It's common to have discrepancies between what is said on the phone and the written email confirmations with those telecom companies, but with Bell it is systematic.

For me they have outright lied about the existence of student discounts; signed me up for the TV app without letting me know (which I learnt about through an email later), even though I repeatedly said I have zero interest in TV promos as I don't own a TV; tried to bill me for a returned modem (which I would have paid 230 CAD for (!!!!) if I hadn't managed to find the tracking number, and then again it took 3 tries until they finally confirmed the charge will be lifted, and I still haven't received the money); sent a TV streamer I said no to, once again I assume because they are hoping to milk the non-return fees out of me; refused any sort of discount to make up for all the technical issues mentioned above.

Price: Also in terms of pricing they are not even competitive (I'm getting a service that's of comparable quality for 40 CAD less the first three months, and 20 CAD less from then on, and that's not even addressing all the extra charges etc. Depending on the periods, my monthly fees ranged from 85-95 CAD, taxes included. All that for 25 Mbps Home Internet (≤2 Mbs upload, which makes for terrible zoom calls).

As mentioned above, to avoid non-return fees prepare yourself to challenge the bills: keep the tracking number (which, honestly, should be on them as they give out a special shipping sticker) for the next few months-possibly years, and call them non-stop until you get your hands on that check. If you lost your tracking number for returned equipment, Purolator and possibly other couriers may be able to track it down from your phone number or other information. Read all the emails carefully as you have 2 months to challenge any charge - they will absolutely take advantage of the fact that most of us have better things to do than to spend hours on the phone talking with dishonest representatives and charge random stuff whenever they can.

Miscellaneous: The cherry on top is their non-stop calling to ask for me to sign up to new services, to review their service, and since I have left now they keep trying to get me to come back. I am going 2 stars as I had Internet most days (a low bar) nonetheless, and the wait time on the phone is ok. I have now left for another provider, which is outperforming BELL in terms of price, service quality, and customer service so far.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Moved from Bell to another service provider recently. When new sim was inserted to in the phone, it asked for PIN to unlock the phone. Called Bell. They gave me a number that was incorrect so after 3 attempts it blocked the pin. Now it's asking for SIM PUK pin. Called bell, I got transferred from one department to another and finally told me to call new service provider to get it. Called them. They told me to use the sim in another phone to see if it work and it did. I call Bell again. No one wanted to to listen to this and keep insisting that I call Telus my new Service provider that it's problem with SIM.

When I explained that SIM works in another device how can it be the problem with SIM? I got transferred to someone else and I start all over again. I spent 4.5 hours on the phone. Finally they gave me the phone number for Samsung and problem was solved in 2 minutes. It was phone not SIM. That was 4.5 hours spent on the phone away from my business. I have other services with Bell. I will consider leaving Bell.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I ordered Bell fibre internet a month ago, and the nightmare started ever after. First of all, the fibre internet is not stable, I keep getting disconnected from online gaming, never had the issue with DSL internet in the past. Other than the service, I started receiving SPAM phone calls almost every day, they all claimed to be Bell Promotions, trying to get me to sign up for other bell services, even after I requested to REMOVE my name and stop calling me, THEY JUST WONT STOP. I HAD TO CHANGE MY PHONE NUMBER BECAUSE OF THE NON STOP SPAMMING PHONE CALLS.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

They suspended my account without any notification via text, call or email. My line and my wife’s is completely cut off. No service at all. No way for me to call them as both are cut off. So I used the chat live on Bell App to communicate with them. They said they can’t help me as it's a different department who handles reconnection. I told them that my line is cut off and no way for me to call them. We are in a small town where all communications is limited. They said I need to call them as that's the only way to reconnect my line. I waited for my wife who just finished her 12 hours duty as nurse to wake up then I went out to find a phone. Btw, the chat lasted almost 1 hour without any positive results. Then when I got the chance to connect with them, of course long wait on the phone, then an agent transferred me to the dept who handles my problem.

After waiting for almost 15 mins, the call just got cut, so I called again and told the agent to make sure someone will answer my call when he transfer me again. I finally got to talk with the agent, she verified everything and I answered all with no mistakes, then she told me to hold for another 10 minutes, after that, she told me that I should have contacted Bell after getting all the plans from them, I have 2 post paid lines, 2 ipad lines and 2 apple watch lines. I took all these gadgets in 2 different branches, none of those agents informed me that I have to call Bell to verify all the services that I took from them! I mean who does that? They already verified my identity when they gave me those services.

Anyway, now this agent is asking me for another verification, she started asking for my my address which I gave her then ask me for another 2 more previous addresses! I mean, why would you ask me for my previous addresses, I didn’t even put them on my profile. Out of frustration and anger, I told her to forget about my request to reconnect, and just cancel all the services then I hanged up. That was another 30mins of conversations with no positive result. 3rd attempt, with chat live, same no positive results, the agent even put that someone is pretending to be me. They said they suspended the account because there is a possible fraudulent. This agent is trying to cover up her bad service as labeling me a fraud, while I answered all here verification correct. So now, I will be celebrating New Year with no lines me and my wife. If something happen, there is no way we can call emergency response.

Also, one of my Ipad has 1GB plan and usually, when you’re about to run out of plan, they notify you to avoid charges. With this one, they notify me after over usAge of 400MB on top of my 1GB and the worst part is, that 400MB is worth $50! Thats pure robbery! What a shame to the telecom who overcharge people. While US is offering unlimited data for an affordable rate, Canada is charging so much money for a limited data plus they will make a trap where they will notify you once your over your limit.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Bell internet is a good internet but today is second day that I lose signal. Yesterday I called them and they did nothing about it and today same thing happened.. terrible customer service. I have been asking to cancel or change time for update channel or IP but they said that's not the issue and they don't fix my problem. Now I'm leaving my home to close with Rogers. Bell sucks

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

They overcharged me 50 dollars in 2018 based on no factual evidence. When I was in the middle of a dispute, they sent collection agents! They destroyed my credit score for a money I did not owe. I finally the $ 50 paid but they refused to fix the damage done. HORRIBLE customer service, quality and ethics. Steer clear from those SOBs

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Find their service unreliable and poor. You're given different dates for service (technical support). They don't show accountability even when you prove it's their error. They don't offer compensation and when they finally give you compensation after a long discussion, they still claim no responsibility and claim "it's a courtesy". You don't get what you pay for and they are one of the most expensive for what they offer.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

Poor service to small business as it relates to internet. Disconnected my internet without contacting me because the phone is on a separate account and wasn't paid. Not notified before disconnection was done. Because they have different accounts for each service, the phone service (which I don't use) was not paid and they did not call me to say that they were disconnecting the lines. When they disconnected the phone lines, they also disconnected the internet service which was has been paid in full and on time.

Bell Canada author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Bell Canada is the largest communications company in Canada, offering mobile phone, television, Internet and home phone services. Customers receive discounts when they subscribe to more than once service. They have both traditional landlines and fiber optic lines. The company is publically traded on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Montreal.

• International plans: Customers can choose from several international long distance plans, including unlimited calling in the United States and Canada and unlimited worldwide calling.

• Extra features: Bell Canada offers call waiting, caller ID and call forwarding to interested customers. The features are included in the price of some plans.

• Online support: Customers can use the self-serve options on Bell Canada’s website. The website provides troubleshooting tips and informational articles to help customers with any questions or problems. The website also has a live chat feature so customers can get instant answers to other questions about their service.

• Protection plans: Bell Canada offers protection plans to ensure customers aren’t financially responsible for repairing damage to phone lines.

• Safety and security: All Bell Canada phone plans are compatible with home security systems. Traditional landlines also make it easy for emergency personnel to track emergency calls.

Bell Canada Company Information