1.11/5

632 Bell Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I called Bell to let them know that they were charging me more than what their own website was advertising. I was put on hold for 12-15 min and then they hung-up. This happened twice. Ever since I had fiber optic line put in by Bell, my internet service is gone down the tubes. Always dropping off every so often.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I've been with Bell for 10 years and decided to get another line with them. I was told that my bring your own device plan would give me a decent amount of data along with 4 Gigs from 2 other lines and 3 gigs extra. I decided to get the phones. Once I got them, all hell broke loose. I would never get notifications for data such as "95% usage, etc". They would all of a sudden charge me 50 dollars, 300.00, etc.

Once I called they waived the fees and everything was okay. Then within a month my bill went from $85.00 for a remaining balance to an $800.00 bill! I called them and they said they there was nothing they could do and that they credited me already even though no messages were sent to warn me of the 95% limit. On top of that, they were back charging me for their own mistakes with data! They told me it would 1700 to cancel. It's useless to have such a monopoly in this country for cell phones. Only 2 companies have quality service and Canadians aren't doing anything to stop it. This needs to end and end NOW!

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

They have very pathetic service. Got roaming charges on data service which I never used. When I call them, they say nothing but offensive. Ended up paying 50 extra. Wish never entered to Bell. They have poor and bad customer service. Fido/Rogers have best service, it was a mistake to come this service.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Man what a ** service. So English is not my first language and I had a little difficulty explaining about how my credit card was charged twice and I could literally hear people laughing on the line. It was really offensive. Also after all 15 mins of talk I ended up paying extra $110 because the payment that I did was not registered on their system and I had to pay two months worth of bills. Just horrible service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I plan to use Velcom internet service in Gatineau, they booked a Bell Canada service technician to come to my house to install the DSL service, the technician showed up at my house on Wednesday afternoon around 2:00 pm, he checked the phone jack on the wall of my house, and told me that the signals is perfect, then we shake hands and he told me he will back to the central control to turn on my DSL signals, and said when I pick my kids and back home at night I will have internet, but it never happens, I called Velcom and been told Bell said I was not home when their technician came, and the next installment date is one week later. Why is the big company like Bell Canada lying to customers?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I requested my Bell TV service be canceled due to selling and moving. Bell canceled my service a day earlier than requested. They reinstated my service for a day to correct their mistake but now want me to pay a $50 connection fee. Can't believe how this company handles their mistakes and Customer Service!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I am speechless at the duplicitous sales tactics Bell uses (that's why I am writing). Bell Canada agents say whatever they need to to get the sale and then string you along in a series of calls to eventually get a part of what you wanted. They also force you to own a home phone to get a discount - is that even legal (I suppose it is, but it doesn't make it right)? I don’t want a home phone and took one anyways! They also require you to renew negotiated discounts every year and if you are one day late in calling them you lose the discount for a month. Worst of all I feel is the smug «you're a stupid user» attitude you get from virtually any of there agents when you make inquiries. I am moving to Rogers, they are quite honestly try a little harder.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

If there are any promotions you receive from BELL don't go for it! IT's scam and their deception motive to lock you down with a contract and then do incremental increase charges for every month. They are one deceptive internet and TV provider, they tied you down and then they can impose any changes as they wish. Somehow they upgraded my account and charged me all kinds of fees and puts the blame on me for making the change, which I never did and they had no record of it too. But because it was ongoing for 4 months, I am responsible for all those charges. Scrutinize your bills closely for every billing cycle and do not rely on them charging you correctly, they will always add things you never thought of, they promise you will X amount but when it comes to the bill you are paying for XYZ!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bell is the worst internet provider you could ask for. This is coming from an ex-customer who has been with this company for 10+ years. My family used to pay about 112 dollars every month just for the internet! Even though the original price was supposed to be something like 60 dollars a month which meant I was paying twice as much than I agreed to. I don't know what they put in the fine print to raise the price that much. Thank god I canceled the service, now I'm using Altima. The switch the smartest move I've made when they say I'm paying 55 dollars a month. It stays that price no matter how much I use the internet during that month. Plus it's because it's so much faster than Bell, it made me realize that Bell was probably slowing down my internet on purpose.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I had internet service installed for 3 months at a rented summer cottage. I called on August 18 to have the service canceled on the 21st. I paid my last bill, was given the address where to ship the modem back - which I did and have the return receipt - was assured by Bell that I did not have to worry about the service anymore. Two months later they claim I owe $125 and that my service is still active! I call and tell them the name of the person I talked to, that I have return the internet box and am now back home in Florida. The cottage has been empty for 2 months and they never canceled the service. I explained what is going on and that Franz didn't do his job. They claim the charges are valid and I must pay them.

I asked to speak to a manager, I gave them all the info I had, they said that they are not responsible and I must pay the fees. When I make an error with my clients, I pay for it. When Bell Canada makes an error THEIR CLIENTS PAY FOR IT. They don't care, there is absolutely nothing that the person could do for me. He had no authority to waive those fees and told me that no one in the company could do it because they were valid. A bunch of baloney! I am livid! I took the time to do it correctly and was assured that on Monday the service would be disconnected. They screwed up and now they're asking me to pay for it. I am so mad. Worst company ever.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

All I can say is if you have another option, use it! Worst customer support and even worse service level. I’ve had 12 technician to my house and been on the phone 100 times over the last year since we HAD to go to Bell because of our location. It is absurd that this company can function like this. Avoid at all cost if you can.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have been using Bell cellphone service for 3 years. I have been very happy with the service. I won't say never had problems or mistakes but they get resolved right away. I moved to Ontario from Saskatchewan and from Ontario to Newfoundland in last 3 years. I had Bell service with me all the time. I would like to mention that when I was on ferry in the middle of the sea, I had Bell network on my phone. Now in NF I wanted to add internet home service. I read so many horrible reviews about the internet installation and tech etc, I still went ahead and booked the service. One more time with Bell, the amazing experience. The tech was on time, called me before he arrived and perfect. Got all done and connected.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

If you call to cancel the service, they will just hang up on you or put on hold and never will be back to you. If they promise you discount, they just trying to get rid of you for this moment, they not even leaving note on your file. I regret I get their services. They treat customers like annoying **.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

The last call I made the service rep assured me she understand what I was asking. After clarifying several times she 'assured' me she understood what I was asking. Called back again because I wasn’t comfortable that she knew what I was asking and it turned out I was right. That is one complaint which has happened quite often. Second complaint — I am positive the reps don’t document conversations correctly and probably not even all the time either. They brush you off until you have to threaten closing your account. I asked for a manager to call me back and the guy assured me he sent the request and documented it but speaking to the rep today I don’t think he did. I will talk to the manager if I have to call every day — and wlll cancel all 4 of my cell phones if I have to. Sure it will cost quite a bit - but it would be worth it to not have to deal with most of their incompetent reps anymore. It’s truly exhausting.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Bell Canada has wasted so much of our time and will charge us over $400 for services that were supposed to be have been canceled. After calling them one representative confirmed they would retract charges since we switched our services, but nothing happened. So we were still charged even more. Different representatives keep running us in circles and saying the same things. Very very frustrating. They say they will email us after we speak to the rep, but it does not happen. If you speak on the phone with to a Bell rep, write down the final order number for every cancellation or change in services. Otherwise Bell is going to give you a very hard time, and send an unfair and massive bill.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I talked with a very worse customer service ever today. He has to learn about communication with clients. Even he didn’t want to finish our conversation so that he can respond for all my queries. Instead he switched off the phone. I am wondering how this man did get in service. Very worse service. You risk to lose our money. They are many companies with a good services.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Horrible horrible customer service, not transparent at all. Lie to get sales and change your charges when they feel like it. If you’re thinking of switching providers I highly advise to stay away from Bell. The customer service agents won’t even put you through to managers to escalate your complaints. The one I dealt with said “the boss doesn’t take phone time so that means I am the boss” ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have dealt with many many companies and hands down Bell Canada and Bell Mobility is the worst company I have ever dealt with in just every aspect from service, billing and overall just about everything else. In 2016, a "too-good-to-be-true" (in retrospect) promotional package enticed me to move from ACN (with whom I had been a happy customer) to Bell Mobility. It was a HUGE MISTAKE! I never got the phone number I was told I would be getting and my bills were a lot higher than before with ACN. Nearly every month, for almost 2 years, I had to spend 1 to 2 hours monthly with Bell's "Customer Care" to have the billing corrected and a credit issued for the overbilling and trying to get the right phone number. I was told that they would drop all cancellation fees and keep getting the bills. Called in again and was told I have to pay the fees because it's not Bell's problem. I'm unhappy with the service and canceled my accounts.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Moved into our home in Tweed, ON. No real choice in providers so Bell it was. We were told we would get Fibe 50. On day of install told we could only have Fibe 25 to find out the cost was the same as Fibe 50 and not unlimited as we were promised. TV also installed. We didn't want the PVR, no use for it, only to find out that is what was installed. Complained. Spoke to a manager from Montreal head office, told internet would be given to us as unlimited but could only have Fibe 25. Gave us a better price... July, Aug and now Sept we've had to call every month due to bill not reflecting proper pricing.

TV wow what a nightmare, called. Said, "Sorry we told you we didn't want the PVR. Please swap it out," that idiot rep cut off our service. The next rep fixed the service and sent a reg HD rec with a tech to install it at no cost since it was their error... Manager confirmed this in Sept. I get a bill and charged for additional rec. install. Each month since June there have been issues each month. I am given better pricing supposedly, however it's never reflected on my bill, even the reg price for the TV which is $84.95 is always shown as $114.95. Not one bill from install in June to current Sept 17, 2018 has ever been correct in any way. It's always an argument. The rep even went so far as to argue what Bell clearly includes in writing in their packages.

Bell is the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with in my life. For all the discounts they keep giving me due to their errors my bills should be getting smaller. How does internet at 49.95 per month, TV at 55.95 per month and my cellphones at $65 per month (the only thing that is ever correct on my bill) add up to $327 per month... Last night's rep couldn't even do the simple math. My time is valuable. I shouldn't be spending hours every month on the phone trying to get my bill fixed!!! And not only fixed but not reflected on next month's bill but on the current bill... Sick of the BS and highly suggest if you have other choices besides Bell (wish I did) go with any other company but Bell. Prior to this I lived in an area where I could only get internet via the Bell Turbo Hub, told it worked everywhere. 2 year fight over that as it does not work everywhere... Bell finally paid 1/2 the cost of a cell phone booster. It helped a little. I HATE BELL!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

In 2016, a "too-good-to-be-true" (in retrospect) promotional package enticed me to move from Fido (with whom I had been a happy customer since 1995) to Bell Mobility. It was a HUGE MISTAKE! Nearly every month, for almost 2 years, I was overcharged, and had to spend 1 to 2 hours monthly with Bell's "Customer Care" to have the billing corrected and a credit issued for the overbilling. Because of Bell's dysfunctional billing system, the credits were always applied against the next month's bill, rather than being subtracted from the bill for the month in which the overbilling occurred.

In total frustration, I terminated Bell's "service" (an oxymoron) just short of the 2-year mark, and switched to Videotron (MUCH better service, better packages, better prices, and a FAR BETTER (i.e., accurate!) billing system. Now, the Bell hyenas are sending me monthly bills for services NOT rendered, compound interest on the fraudulent bills, and letters threatening to "terminate my services" (!!!) if I don't pay them! Idjits! STAY AWAY FROM THESE FRAUDSTERS AND MORONS!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I had some technical issues with the internet. When I called them they told me that something is wrong with the modem and they will send technician next morning. When I called them, they told they have shipped the modem. When I received, it still didn't worked out and they told that they will send the technician and they didn't. We had assignments and everything pended just because of their services. Their department doesn't even know the technician timings themselves. When I called them to cancel my service and upon asking them the amount I will receive back, they told me that my service cannot be canceled until few days after and I will only receive 6-7 days of money which I was suppose to receive for around 12 days. Instead of giving the extra credit of the days I didn't had, they were saying such sort of things. They ended up agreeing for 9 days. Had a very bad experience, would recommend no one.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Sold me (over the phone) hi-speed internet service on landline -5-6 Gbps for 1 year at $49.95 net 62.09 with tax; however increased price by $5 after 3-4 months. I phoned them and explained they did not say price would increase; and the only thing it says/said is, after 1 year price would increase. I told them I will only pay the 62.09 per month as originally stated. They refused to cancel the increase. They disconnected the landline Aug 22nd without notice. Note;- I continued to try to connect my workstation without success (it does not have a wi-fi connection. And I trying to find the problem on my laptop it eventually failed- continuous screen flickering making it impossible to read!

I tried to reboot with Toshiba program which did ok; But when rebooting continually tries to finish loading window? Which does not make any sense because I used windows after the Toshiba program finished. So now I do not have a Laptop working either. Obviously I need a boot disc to fix windows; but also a fix for the screen flicker, which may be impossible if it is a component failure due to continually rebooting which I did for days to try and get it working. Eventually I had to buy a wifi connector for my new HP WORKSTATION, from the USA as could not find a suitable one in Montreal or on Amazon.ca- Canada??? I had to buy one on Amazon.com (USA).

I have also just read that Bell have more than 100,000 sales complaints in 2017 0r 2018; and that they should be regulated. If you phone them you speak to someone in the Philipeans who only after a long time transfers you to someone in Canada. HOW RIDICULOUS. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO EMAIL THEM SO THAT EVERYTHING IS RECORDED.

I have since received another invoice from Bell this time in the mail??? With another $5 added. But it also shows the price includes $20 for a VPN AND WIFI. So I am paying them 22.60 tax included for Sep. since they disconnected the landline Aug 22nd. That invoice is fraudulent; showing 59.95+tax plus the 4 x $5 for the previous 4 month! P.S I notice prices are Double on Amazon.ca v.s. Amazon.com (USA) for identical items! Stranger since CDN $ is still worth $0.70 US. And with free trade still in effect it does not cost Amazon much to import bulk shipments. Hi-speed internet 5gbps over land line for 1 year.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Misled into purchasing a promotional package for US-Canada voice and text plan...$30+$5 add on. However, when I returned back to Canada from Calif, my next bill showed that I owed close to $400 for LD and Roaming fees... I gave them info re: agent who arranged the travel promotion with me, dates I spoke with their agent, as well as the time of coverage. I also provided info-Proving per their email confirmation that I de-activated their roaming service plan upon my return to Canada.

I was told they would remove half the charges if I agree to pay the other half. I said "no way! I will NOT pay a dime over the amount I agreed to". So, now 2 months later, I am still being harassed to pay what they claim is an outstanding balance of $185. (Since my return I have continued to my monthly service plan fees On Time!). These charges they are bullying me for are for LD US-Can roaming charges that should have been covered by the Unlimited plan I agreed to purchase for $40 total--The plan I was led to believe would cover June 1-June 30, even though I only used service for 24 days. Once upon a time, I was a loyal consumer of Bell Aliant/Bell Mobility. No more! I am seeking another provider.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Friday September 7th 2018 I arrived home from work to find that my television service was not working. I spent almost 3 hours on the phone with tech support, continuously requesting that they send a technician. When finally they accept to send a technician on the Saturday. Saturday arrives, no technician shows up. Call again, spent 2 hours, telling me I would have to wait until Sunday night. I ask to speak to a supervisor because this was unacceptable. They proceed to tell me I would have to wait 24-48 for someone to call me and then they hang up on me in mid sentence.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I have dealt with many many companies in my day and hands down Bell Canada and Bell Mobility is the worst company I have ever dealt with in just every aspect from service, billing and overall just about everything else. I cannot understand in anyway shape or form that a company that claims to be Canadian has their call center and help desk in another country. Yes, Bell Canada has their customer service calls going to the Philippines! Sales is in Canada but most of billing and service is abroad. As far as their products, it is what it is and it's ok. Nothing special, I wish there were more options in our country for cellular services and internet besides Roger's, Bell and Cogeco. It is really sad!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My boyfriend and I aren't too fond of Bell because of past experiences but we were able to get a decent deal, $50 for unlimited usage and 50 Mbps - no contract or expiry, so we decided to give them a chance. We scheduled a technician for installation on September 2nd. The window was from 12pm - 5pm, and we waited all day at home and no one showed up. We received a call at 3pm saying our technician was on their way but then 4:15pm came and no one was here yet so we called Bell. The rep on the phone said the technician showed up at 12:30pm but we weren't home (why did we get a 3pm call notification then?).

Obviously this was not true because we were home all day waiting for the technician. We asked the rep to call the technician to see if he can "come back" and the rep said he has no way of contacting them. Okay then what good is calling you if you can't even contact the driver? After a few more minutes of back and forth he said he'll give the dispatcher a call who will contact the technician... Why couldn't this have been done when we asked? Anyway, he got back to us and said the technician cannot come back today and we must reschedule, so we rescheduled to September 5th (5pm-9pm). We made it clear that the technician needed to call us when he arrived this time so we wouldn't miss him.

The rep tried to compensate us by giving us some sort of free cable TV for 2 months, and if we didn't want it anymore after 2 months, we had to call and cancel. We refused, knowing that they would probably still charge us after 2 months even if we did call to cancel because of previous experiences with them. We said we'd take 2 months of free or discounted internet, but he wouldn't budge.

September 5th came and the technician arrived around 730pm just to tell us that he needed access to our "telephone box" of which only our Superintendent had the key to and since it was pretty late into the day, he was not around to allow access. We were furious now. If they needed access to anything for the installation that required our Superintendent, why didn't they state that when we made the appointment? We would have made the necessary arrangements ensuring that they had access to whatever they needed.

Also, it wasn't as if the technician showed up thinking he could have accessed the telephone box through us, he KNEW he needed the Superintendent because the first thing he did when he arrived was ask if he was around so he could have access... If we needed the help of our Super, you'd think they made sure to tell us that prior to the technician arriving! So we ended up not getting internet again that day, and they wanted to reschedule. We said no way and cancelled. The rep on the phone didn't even push back, just said he understood and cancelled our account.

Absolutely ridiculous. It was like they didn't want us to use their service the way they made everything so difficult! We shouldn't be begging you to install internet for us. Shouldn't you want our money? So on the same day that this all happened and we cancelled (Sept 5th), we called Fido for their $32 unlimited internet deal with 75 Mbps. They set up our account and we received the modem the very next day (less than 24 hours later) and plugged it into the wall and were connected to the internet right away.

We were so impressed with Fido after the hell we went through with Bell. I don't understand how they were able to set us up so quickly while Bell had to drag everything out for days. If I could give Bell no stars, I would. I've had previous crappy experiences with them prior to this one but this was the nail in the coffin. NEVER going to try to use Bell ever again no matter how good the deal is. Rogers is better.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I switched to Bell from Rogers about a year ago because they were having a good promotion at the time. I had no issues from them until it came time to renew a new promo which was expiring on Aug 25. I had called a month in advance (beginning of Aug) in which I was told I would get a call back (it never happened). So I called again a few days later and was told to call on Aug 25 (when my promo expired) to look at other promos. So Aug 25 came. I called and yet again was told to wait 5-7 days for a call back. Are you ** kidding me!? I don't understand why they can't deal with you from the time you call. They then transferred me to the loyalty department because I was getting irritated so finally (after a very long discussion -__-) they were able to give me a new promo which would have totalled $147.86 for 24 months.

So fast forward to Sept 5 when my bill came totalling $192.19... I called yet again to ask about the overcharge and was dealt with an extremely rude and incompetent agent. I was basically told that the charges are valid due to the expiration of the promo and that "I should've called to avoid these types of things". Really bud?... like really. Their customer service is a joke. At least with Rogers they value you as a customer. I shouldn't have to call more than once to get an answer and BELL, next time write your notes properly because YES I DID CALL 3 times actually you dumb**. BELL, you need to work on your customer service skills or you will lose all your customers. Now that I look back I completely regret leaving Rogers... Lesson learned...

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Pay for 100 mbps get 700 kilobytes - For over 15 years me and my family had Bell internet. 400 kb at the start. Spend $1400 to change home set up. Receive 700 kb after. We pay $200 for 700 kb. Try to cancel. They lose our cancellation for 15 years. Ok so I got a gaming desktop still 700 kilobytes. So I work in tech support so now I know it's a line issue and has been. They change our modem and offer to give us a cheaper plan. The plan became more expensive magically in 3 months. So now we are paying $250 for 700 kilobytes. No change in internet. Modem change did nothing and it's rented so we are paying monthly for trash. Ok let's now talk to them about changing our line. They hang up every time it gets to the point where I wonder how this scummy company has not had a lawsuit against them and been shut down for scamming people out of their money. Also all of these speeds are wired.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have been getting issues since almost 2 years. Spend time on phone numerous time. Even the Bell technicians came for repair and he confirmed that the service is worse than he expected. He did fix it but only for a while and that has been recurring during that 2 years. I received a credit to maintain. Supposedly they gave me a credit for $40 and I have proof via email that it is indeed a credit but when I called to cancelled first thing the agent said, "Good then we will take our credit back". When I ask his ID he refused, I then ask his manager's name Josh but he hung up before I continue. If I have top write, pages won't be enough... Worst service ever and I hope someone from Bell is reading those reviews.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Super terrible service, I originally accidentally sent a payment on the 9th or so, didn't notice till 8 days later. Bell Mobility told me they would reverse the charges into my bank. I contacted customer service who said they were sending a cheque but that it was never actually sent out, I contacted RBC to dispute the services and they could not because Bell Mobility lied and said they were sending a cheque (or perhaps the 2nd agent lie) I contacted them today and was transferred to the number I called, effectively sending me back to the start and then I wasn't able to connect to Billing because it was then past their hours.

I contacted tech support who was a supervisor and who told me everything the first supervisor and Bell support specialist was wrong and to disregard it. It's now going to take 2-3 weeks to get the refund cheque and Bell has no way to expedite it or to assist me in any way despite making claims that they could in the past. Overall a really shady company.

Bell Canada expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bell Canada is the largest communications company in Canada, offering mobile phone, television, Internet and home phone services. Customers receive discounts when they subscribe to more than once service. They have both traditional landlines and fiber optic lines. The company is publically traded on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Montreal.

• International plans: Customers can choose from several international long distance plans, including unlimited calling in the United States and Canada and unlimited worldwide calling.

• Extra features: Bell Canada offers call waiting, caller ID and call forwarding to interested customers. The features are included in the price of some plans.

• Online support: Customers can use the self-serve options on Bell Canada’s website. The website provides troubleshooting tips and informational articles to help customers with any questions or problems. The website also has a live chat feature so customers can get instant answers to other questions about their service.

• Protection plans: Bell Canada offers protection plans to ensure customers aren’t financially responsible for repairing damage to phone lines.

• Safety and security: All Bell Canada phone plans are compatible with home security systems. Traditional landlines also make it easy for emergency personnel to track emergency calls.

• Best for: Bell Canada is good for residential customers and business owners who want the reliability of a landline and/or any customers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs