1.19/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Bell Canada

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

450 Bell Canada Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

For the last 18 months, Bell Canada have charged me for high speed unlimited internet at between $105. - $110. + per month. After months of complaints of lagging internet, constant loading and failed connect to server pop ups, Bell agreed to credit my account and remove the unlimited internet fee of $30.00 per month. This morning, at my insistence, after a new modem was sent and I set it up, speed increases promised to 50 mbps, (actual speeds 2 - 10 mbps) a technician showed up stating that I could never receive those speeds due to the fact that my building is on an old copper phone line, (throughout building), that was never updated. Technician also stated that everything they gave me is actually standard issue these days and I could verify that by looking at Bell's website and seeing what packages were available at what price.

He was bang on the money! Called Bell to resolve my account and have credits applied and could not access my account due to it being in my ex husband’s name, which wasn't an issue on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Thursday last week. Called Virgin Mobile to set up a new install and was confirmed and accepted until I was informed that one of the forms of I.D. I was using, my federally issued S.I.N. # HAD BEEN DECLARED STOLEN AND LISTED WITH ALL CREDIT COMPANIES.

I then asked to speak with both the Virgin Mobile agent, myself and the credit company agent to clarify and rectify the issue as I have never declared my S.I.N. card as either stolen and/or lost. Instead I was transferred to another agent who refused to identify himself, until I pushed, up until which point he stated that he wanted personal identification from me, including my passport number. His response to my asking who he was and which credit company he worked for was: "I work for Bell Canada AND Virgin Mobile... In the fraud department". I said, I didn't understand what was going on, but to all appearances it sounded like Bell was actually declaring along with credit scores to private credit companies that my I.D. had been marked as stolen.

I want you to imagine this scenario: if at any point I had applied for another job, had been stopped by the police in a routine traffic stop, or had applied for anything where two forms of I.D. would have been required and where one of those forms of I.D., would naturally be my federally issued S.I.N. number. Interesting scenario right? The response of the agent in the fraud department at Bell was this: "Do you want to have the new services with Virgin Mobile or not?" So now a thinly veiled blackmail tone added to a federal crime of falsely stating someone was using stolen I.D. The reason for all this? Bell mistakenly forgot to credit an account from years ago, that was paid in full, in my name, and that remaining balance had now reached over $900.00.

They also, apparently, took it upon themselves to declare my S.I.N. number as stolen to every credit agency and department, which is a helluva lot of power for a privatized company to hold ain't it? So I called the Federal Government of Canada's 1800 number that deals with Social Insurance Cards to clarify that my card has not and has never been stolen.

Interestingly, they didn't seem too surprised, seems like this is a regular deal with Bell Canada, which is surprising when you think what an impact falsified documents, I.D. cards and passports are these days. But no one seemed too disturbed by it at the Federal Government. Money launderers, fraudsters, and criminals, come to Canada man, it's like 1920's Chicago up here, the markets wide open! It's the Wimbledon of openly falsified documents up here, no one's too bothered, bring any members of any local terrorist organization you know of and you can get a free passport and federal I.D. No really, it's cool man, Bell has a list of I.D. that they have deemed as stolen because you’re on their hit list as “owing them”. Oh here's the kicker, you’re going to love this!

I even went so far as to explain to Bell that I won't dispute any outstanding balances, as long as they credit my current account which is still in my husband's name, which I've paid for from day 1 and which I updated to my name. I offered them banking info., remote access to my computers, detailed call log info, tech visits, etc and had everything on the current account updated including my name, but Bell won't do it. I explained that to resolve the issue, they have to credit monies paid to them every month for the last 18 months which I calculated by the actual cost of the service I received, but paid for a higher level of speed and unlimited which I never received and they could apply that credit to my supposedly “outstanding balance” on an old account from years ago.

So I would never receive any monies or credit they owe me, just credits that would be applied to an old account, so I could cancel everything and resolve this stolen I.D. issue and move to Virgin Mobile with whom they would confirm, no monies are owing, no personal I.D. is being fraudulently used or has been stolen, and we can all move on with our lives and I never have to deal with the Bellends at Bell again! Not interested, so this afternoon I registered a complaint with the CCTS/Commission for Complaints for Telecom-Television Services, the Better Business Bureau and now here with Consumer Affairs.

The one bright side in all this? That at least ** Bell Canada didn't declare my Medicare as having been stolen, so that tomorrow I'll be able to go to the doc's or at least the pharmacy to get that American sized bottle of ** or whatever the ** you use for the ulcer that this has brought on and worst case scenario get medical treatment at the hospital for the cardiac arrest that this will surely bring on. Suppose I should really send a Thank You card to Bell Canada! Dear Sirs, Thank you for not declaring my bloody Medicare Card as having been stolen so I can have the ailments your company is solely responsible for bringing on, treated accordingly.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Installer left all wrappings & boxes etc on lawn. He then had me give email address (he said to confirm delivery) but when fine print was read it was really acceptance to begin online billing! There was to be a 10 day free trial & feedback was to be provided via internet, but their electronic questionnaire did not work. The advance billing worked just fine though! LOL! I decided not to use Bell & phoned several times to cancel, a few days into the trial. No matter who I spoke to, the bills kept coming! Finally I got a supervisor who straightened it all out, but he said they don"t come back, to take the dish off my roof!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Needs improvements with customer service. The channel selection needs to be more versatile as well. More powerful satellite would help improve reception.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Had a mandatory plan change applied to my account, which deleted all my saved and archived messages, including those of deceased friends. When contacted, customer service told me that it is the policy to change plans when they are no longer available and that data loss happens.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Initially their representative told me I'd get 120 channels for $42.50 a month. 40 of those turned out to be radio stations, about 20 were French and about 25 were pay per view leaving me with only 35 watchable channels. On top of that I was with Bell for 4 months and my first bill was $42.50. But every month after that my bills went up drastically, last one being $83.00. I canceled with them and the fee was suppose to be 150$. It was $201. Then on top of it all they refused to remove their own satellite dish from my house. If you consider Bell tv please be very careful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Hi, my fiancé and I signed up for a new bundle service as a promotional offer but when the bill arrived it was 4 times more than what was offered and accepted. We just tried to cancel it but now we have to pay cancellation fee. Advice for all: don’t sign up for Bell services especially their phone offers and if you do get it in writing or have them emailed everything to you before you accept anything. Bell is the biggest misleading company in Canada. Very pathetic!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have Bell business internet for about a year. I keep having constant problems - one day it's working, another day it's disconnecting every 15-20 minutes and I have to manually connect it. I also have a cash register working through wi-fi, so every time I have a problem with internet connection I can't take card payments. I called Bell on several occasions and spend few hours in total talking to their sales representatives. They keep asking ridiculous questions like if I have a microwave near the router, etc. Eventually, they suggested to send a technician for whom I have to pay and I don't really understand why. I'm highly disappointed and advise not to use the company, if you have the option. I wish I had the opportunity to go with another provider!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Service buying was a whirlwind experience!!! Wham... Bam... Credit card... $47.00 month service charge. Ohh, hot damn, that's a deal... Especially with a... As I was told a very good Sony Xperia XA phone... Well bills never went below $80.00, messages were never deleted, calls were constantly being archived, people kept calling for the last owner... Nothing but problems, then... The famous Sony boot loop... Look it up on YouTube. Bring it in... No problem sir... Here's a beat up loaner Samsung, scratched and dented to something only Bell would say, is comparable to your brand new Sony.

Couldn't fix, they say something cracked inside... As a retired audio/visual technician at home I took the back off... They did nothing... The whole phone is... Glued together... They could not have done anything... Liars... Liars... Liars... Con artists... Out and out thieves... When I returned the beat up Samsung... They charged me full price for the Samsung 'cause it supposedly had a crack... She did not find that crack in front of me... She found it in the backroom... Orchard Park Bell store... Stay away if you know what getting screwed over is like... Very painful and costly, done by Bell.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have been paying for ultra high speed for almost 3 years. It is very slow and I need to re-start my modem often to get it to stop from freezing. I have called and they do the usual speed test, blah... blah... blah... And it is never anywhere near high speed let alone ultra high speed. I have called a satellite provider but I am unfortunately in a dead spot for that. I sure wish we had more competition here in NB as then I feel something would be done about it. :(

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I can't believe that the same problems that existed 5 years ago with this company still exist now. Their customer service is embarrassing for a company of their stature. The agents are poorly trained, completely unempathetic and have zero understanding of how to diffuse a situation. I understand that their job is not easy and they have to deal with many very angry customers but Rogers has to deal with the same type of customer but their customer service is MILES ahead of Bell's. Bell needs to completely reorganize and re-train their technicians, they hire some of the laziest and poorly trained people for this job. There are literally hundreds of horror stories on the web about technicians that don't show, leave on the job, knock on the door ONCE and then leave. Customers are left for DAYS until another time slot opens up and there is never any type of compensation for these customers that are screwed by these technicians.

During the month of September when thousands of students are moving and when you are offering student promotions WHY are you still so disorganized and understaffed when this is something that is well anticipated every year? BELL TECHNICIANS represent your brand and if they can't be reliable then you are seen as unreliable. Look at how low your rating is on this site, there is no reason why your resources can't be better utilized to ensure that your employees are held to a high standard of customer service and that your technical team is at its most efficient and RELIABLE. You guys need to seriously get it together.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Hard to understand the support staff, high prices with a lot of duplicate stations. Unable to get a suitable package without paying over 100.00 for a lot of stations that are of no interest to me. Buying single stations are too costly.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

This month, our landline has been disconnected at the street box 3 times. We have gone through the usual routine of blaming our equipment and talking to numerous customer service reps. Twice we have been told it was repaired. We have been assured that the line is working. Guess what - they check the line and darn if there's no dial tone. So either the repair people are saying they were on the street and checked and they didn't - or they simply just don't show up. This is 2017.

And the best part - we borrowed a work cell phone and they keep telling us that the technician will call the house to confirm the appointment. Maybe someone should explain THE HOUSE PHONE ISN'T WORKING! Maybe I have been wrong all along - I should get a job as a bell tech and mark tickets off as done while I sit in Tim Horton's getting paid laughing my head off. Even better, be a customer service rep and tell people their phone is faulty, and when they hang up giggle maniacally.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I can't believe I'm giving Bell a 5-star rating after waiting more than half a month with many frustrating visits for a normal Fiber internet installation. This rating goes solely to the two amazingly committed technicians who made the seemingly impossible possible today. I do sympathize with Bell that the neighborhood is quite old and was brain-wracking for them to figure out how to hook the wire up to a fiber box that was hanging in the middle of a hard to access yard. But that doesn't excuse Bell for having extremely rude customer service employees who also keep making promises that they don't ensure are kept.

Bell needs to improve on their inter-department communications -- one manager keeps not passing the information to the next technician(s) visiting or ensuring that their customer has an update on the status. My roommate and I spent about 10 hours over the course of over half a month, placing calls to customer service and customer-service-recommended technical support to actively seek the status of when they will come back and actually install it, and being present for 4 visits: one technician, then one manager, then another technician who had no briefing from the manager and left promising to come back with a bucket truck and did not for more than a week, and then finally the two amazingly committed technicians who made it work with just brains, ladders, and skills.

They promised me that they wouldn't leave until the internet was running, even placing calls to activate the service for me and making sure I understood everything about the connection and the modem. I am so grateful for their dedication and I hope that others recognize that Bell is not made up of only rude customer service employees and negligent managers -- there are also extremely talented and dedicated technicians working there who deserve a 5-star rating.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

The Bell box constantly cuts out and shuts Down. It then takes over 5 min to reboot itself. This happens frequently, on average it happens around 3 times in the span of 2 hours. Very frustrating when you're in the middle of watching something. Defeats the purpose of having tv. When explains this to bell they say it's our problem. However we had another provider before this and it never happened. They won't even come out to look at it. Very poor service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Several years ago Bell installed a cable through the middle of a window screen. It took 18 emails and dogged focus to get them to credit us $75.00. They would not complete the repair - we had to do that. In May 2017 I arranged cancellation of all services, due to a death. TV was terminated effective June 19 and internet and telephone on June 20, 2017. A credit resulted in June 2017. In August Bell randomly decided to charge us $150.00 for TV activation. When I called I explained the account had been closed in June and that a credit was due. I explained that a TV contract is frustrated when the subscriber dies.

I had already been through this all in June when the account was closed. Yet again, have told me the account is closed, that they will credit the $150.00 back and send the balance of the credit to us. They will not automatically issue a credit that is owed to the estate. I am told the $150.00 credit is manually entered and that I must call back to ensure the balance owed to us is paid. When I called in May to cancel they kept asking if someone else would take on the account. I found that very unprofessional. No one who is dealing with a death wants to be pressured, in any way, to reassign an account. This company is, hands down, worse than Rogers. And that is saying something. Staff are not empowered to make decisions, they obstruct, ignore requests and obfuscate.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I thought I was offered a pretty decent deal from Bell last year so I had my business and phone service set up (3 year contract) with them in June 2016. I was promised the monthly payment will remain the same for 3 years. Very simple, straightforward. After 6 months Jan. 2017 my internet payment increased by $5 and phone $7/month. After speaking to numerous customer relation reps... they all gave me the same answer.... "Didn't you read the fine printing, Bell has the right to increase/adjust the plan fees every year, we only guarantee your discount rate for the remaining term but not the actual monthly amount". I felt like the whole setup was a scam!! Seriously that's how I feel!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Unsecure Service allowing unauthorized person access to my account Bell is not required (or concerned) about privacy/security Re: customer account/personal info. Numerous attempts have been made such as contacting cust service, emails & filing complaint with BBB. I am unable to access my own account, website is not accepting my correct info. Validation code sent to my email will NOT work. Cust serv reps ignore, disregard the issue.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I wish there's the star rate lower than 1 star... We had a terrible experience from Bell 10 years ago(2007), overcharge, dealing with Customer service (CS) on the phone for hours and nothing solved. We switched to Videotron afterwards, however, Bell sales rep kept knocking our house and kept offering the attractive competitive price, so we gave them a chance to use their service. That was the biggest mistake!! From the 1st month, their billing price was wrong, which was regular price, not promo price. We had to made a couple of calls to fix, but wasted almost 2 week until we spoke to Supervisor. Here's our nightmare started... 2nd month had the same problem, and another phone calls and stresses.

At the end, we decided to cancel Bell service upon the promo contract was expired, then they offered another promo contract. After 1 month, we found the better deal with other company, so we tried to cancel the contract at the end of month. Then, they told me that they have to charge me 3 DAYS SERVICE CHARGES due to their billing cycle. They kept ignoring my request and still try to charge me. At the end, we sent the escalation e-mail to complain and dispute this RIDICULOUS charge for 3 days. Case manager called us and credit the service charges to make my account with Bell clean.

The nightmare was still continued afterwards, they sent us the invoice for phone usage, which we never asked, never activated, never used 2 months after. Same thing again, we sent the e-mail to Bell and Case manager called us that they credited the charge, which was billed by mistake due to their billing cycle. Their billing cycle??? They don't cancel full service when the customer advised?? They don't check the system before they sent off the invoice??

To use Bell, it's just that to deal with their bad service, wasting the time to fix THEIR PROBLEMS, and so many stresses, which you normally don't have to deal with other internet company. The rate on this website is very helpful before you sign up with Bell. You have to be really ready to fight and deal with such a bad company like Bell. Believe me, their customer service has never changed from 10 years ago from my experience.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

On May 31 after requesting a discount on my account and agent disconnected all my Bell services. It took Bell over 17 days to reinstall my home phone as they had reconnect it to another address. They have lied to me stating that they could not get the number back, It took multiple calls and several appointments missed by Bell tech without them. Over 7 days for the manager to follow up with my complaints. Their escalation process is terrible. Then they charge me with a moving fee as they had to move the number from the other address to mine, remove my promos. It is frustrating at Bell can go into my account and change this without my knowledge...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Tried making an international call and received message that this option needs to be activated by calling the Bell call center, so I do. The call center agent informs me I cannot make international calls until after 12 months have passed on my account or alternatively if I make a $200 security deposit citing concerns I might run a fat bill I can't afford. Now if this is not stupid, what is? Maybe you should also disallow me from calling auto dealerships in case I go and buy a car I can't afford. I think this ruling is rubbish and has now guaranteed a non-renewal of my contract with them. And the never ending search for a decent mobility provider continues!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

When I moved to a different apartment in the same building I also moved my Bell Service. It took them 2 weeks to have my internet installed which is fine. I was patient. This was in June. Last week I received a letter telling me my service is going to be cancelled because I was past due. Say what?! I am always up to date with my bills. How can it be I asked? So I called them. The customer service said because of a Hub that I ordered. First of all I never ordered the damn Hub. They were the one who brought it in to replace my old one. Why they did that? I don't know. I just wanted my service moved not changed. 3 months after my move Bell tells me I owe them money.

Long story short I called 3 times. Spent 2 hours on these calls upset about the same problem coz I kept getting warning that my service will be disrupted if I don't pay the Hub. The same thing these CSR & supervisor tells me that, "We noted your account & you will not get those warnings anymore." But sure enough as my gut tells me I get warnings again, meaning the CSRs & the "Supervisor" which we all know they actually just regular employees, can't do anything at all to resolve the issue. Bell is ruining my credit because of their mistake. Apparently there was a system glitch that put that charge on my account when it should not. I wonder if I call the TV Station that they will move faster & fix this problem or maybe if I file a lawsuit for a pity $199.00 Hub. Because honestly it is an insult for someone to tell me I am past due when I am not. It has been 3 weeks & still no one in that company has the brains to fix the damn problem.

So here is my call. Tomorrow I am cancelling my service & will shove the damn Hub up to theirs just so I can sleep again at night. I am a single mom & broke & they are trying to tear my life apart & for what?! For $200. You have got to be kidding me. That amount is my grocery money for 2 weeks just so I can feed my kid & me. These people have no remorse. I heard Fido has a great & easy to install internet service. I am moving there. Big companies like this try to screw poor people all the time. No one knows what is going on & no one is doing anything about it. It's a shame that I have to write a bad review about them. I am sick & tired of BS but they left me no choice.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I must say, Bell is great to their shareholders. They find more and more ways of squeezing the customer. After years of service I have had enough. Probably the most expensive telephone, internet and tv service in the world. A long distance call for me is from Oshawa Ontario to Pickering. Anyway do yourself a favour, get high speed internet from a reliable source, get an android box 4g and get off of Bell phone and TV. The shows are second rate. 500 channels of nothing. Doing this will lower your monthly bill dramatically. Now I just have internet with them and I am paying 84.99 which is still way too much. I don't like the other company that much but in Canada there is no competition. Thank goodness for honest companies like Costco and Telus who give great service and treat their employees well.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

In response to a recent August, 2017 phone call. I have been with Bell "forever". I have dealt with the hr(s) long phone calls dealing with matters that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Here is one I STOPPED immediately, to avoid a future call. Nice lady from calls to offer 25/5 for our Internet. I stopped her from giving any further information. I said to her it's NOT available! She informed me that a Bell Tech would come out to our home and make the necessary changes as to provide this new 25/5 speeds. We currently have 5/1, yes 5/1. I call it one notch above Dial-up. I told her that just 2 days earlier a Bell Tech was at my neighbours, explaining to why her recent 25/5 service will NOT work. The "distribution" box a km away has not been upgraded to provide this higher Internet Speed. The Bell Lady (obviously) had no idea.

I have had Bell to my home over the years and my service has never improved after the upgrade. Bell will say that's all my contract will allow (5/1) but home owners are realizing - until they add the necessary hardware/software to the Distribution Box nearby, our slow speeds will never change. I was told Management reviews these customer calls - AND they better. A classic case of the "Right hand NOT knowing what the left hand is doing". BTW - Bell has been offering this package for months.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Retired and pissed off for having to pay money for less services and channels and seeing more French on too many channels. Give their own section on the guide and let them pay for it. Pretty bad, French live in Canada and they can't understand the English language, **! French get to watch and listen to both English and French and I get to watch just the English version only because I am Italian and learned the English language in school. So I get half of what I pay for and the French get both versions.

You keep taking channels away and charge more for TV. No wonder people are getting out of TV and going to streaming boxes of the Internet. Your loss for being greedy and ignorant against the English language. Give the French their own section on the guide. Keep them out of the other sections and let French speaking pay for French TV. Less subscribers that pay too much. Or more subscribers back to watching good old English speaking TV. Your loss for being blind to Canada. Unsatisfied with your Bell system.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

The most difficult thing to do with Bell is to get a billing reduction... I am currently paying $70.45 for my Internet. This is a combination of a basic package for pathetic speeds of 5 plus 50GB data plus an additional $12.50 to go unlimited. I then go onto Bell.ca to find I can get the exact same thing for $67.95. I would like to save myself a couple of bucks so I opted for the new package of $67.95.

I have issued the change on Bell.ca multiple times but it won't go through. I have spoken to a Service Rep who swears she made the change but it still doesn't go through. I have 5 confirmation numbers of these transaction but none of them have gone through. This morning I called in again, talked to a Rep but she wouldn't do anything. I just want the new package of $67.95 for unlimited download. What is so difficult about this??? Bell just won't do anything right.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

The morning of August 27 I called the customer service line to inquire about adding a second line to my acct for my mother. The gentlemen gave me the details of the cost and the steps for the hardware. I thanked him and said we will think of it and visit a store on Monday. We hung up. About 30 minutes later I get an email notification thanking me for my hardware upgrade!!! I never even asked for an upgrade and the CSR has sent out this phone that I never asked for, or gave consent to order. The bigger problem is that it's sending to a mail box at a UPS store that's 400 Kms away from where I live that I haven't used in 5 years.

This service is ridiculous. When I called the service line back and took time out of my day to go to a Bell store they told me there is nothing that can be done to cancel this order and the Phone is going to be delivered to this address. They told me that I'm responsible for this phone. Until it gets back to them if it's an incorrect address. The thing is I was going to come in in a few weeks and upgrade and change phones. Now you are losing a long time customer and the potential for a second line. Like you even care.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Many of my complaints have already been expressed in most of the reviews below, however another review may still help some people avoid the frustrations I have gone through with Bell services. We had been a long time customer of Bell, then out of frustration tried a new company for six months, but returned to Bell two months ago. Never have I felt the frustration of dealing with issues as in these two months. In the dozen or more phone calls I have made for setting up the account I never spoke to one person but was transferred to another, and yet another. After having repeated the story to several persons transfer promises were made that were never kept. These people don’t talk to each other.

One of the amateur errors made was to bill me three weeks before I had even used their services, eg. my services were to be forwarded for billing on August 14th and paid on the 26th; but they charged my visa on July 26th – three weeks before I completed the month to be invoiced. Several calls were made to resolve the issue with confirmation numbers given but never honoured. The issue was never resolved. Dates were changed, amounts were changed and it is evident that they will be perpetuating an erroneous payment due date on a regular basis. I am told that Bell sublets their services to some 30 companies, and that in all likelihood we are often speaking with people who aren’t even employed with Bell. You can guess my next move.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

In 2015 upon reviewing our phone and internet services for our company, I discovered that we were paying over $400 per month on phone lines alone (in a two person company) with Bell. I promptly found a new provider who could offer us Phone and Internet services for under half of what was Bell's fee for phone alone. Someone from Bell's Retention department contacted me to offer me a matching deal so that they could retain our business. After much back and forth - I was promised a matching service, at a matching price with a price freeze for 3 years. After confirming the prize freeze element, we agreed and stayed with Bell. The whole point, of course being to save our company money. I was told they had to split the account into two invoices but that it wouldn't affect the offer. Less than a year later, the bill went up. I reached out to the agent that made these promises and received no response.

The bills kept going up and up, and so finally over two years after the arrangement (and $100 a month more in charges) - I cancelled (again) and went with another provider. I then received a cancellation bill in the mail for over $1100. I called the loyalty department and was on the phone for over an hour when they told me there was nothing they could do about the fees, at which point I produced an email stating a Price Guarantee for 36 months (highlighted in yellow). The agent then told me they would have to escalate the issue and someone would call me back within 48 hours. Six days later - having heard nothing, I called again. I was given the same speech by another representative about there being nothing they could do. I referenced the email I had from the original offer, and sent it to them. The agent told me the account was not set up in accordance with the Offer, so the price guarantee was never valid.

I then asked to speak to a manager. The manager had the same rote responses. I forwarded the email chain to her, including an email I had sent to the original representative asking why the price freeze did not seem to be in place. I was then told again, that the offer has not been something they offer anymore so they won't honour it. I said, "Does this mean that anybody could make any promise they want on your behalf, and your company has no obligation to honour it?" and I was told very clearly, "Yes." I am currently on hold, for the sixth or so time, at a time count of 2 hours and 3 minutes and STILL counting, to try to speak to anyone who knows the word accountability.

I have been told: The person who made the offer no longer works here, so we don't have the information anymore. I am convinced they are putting me on hold repeatedly so I will just give up. This being the reason I had not had time to call repeatedly about this previously. (I did mention it is business services and as such, I had work to do right?) Instead, I am using my currently wasted time to inform the consumer that if you decide to cancel your services - trust your reasoning the first time and do not let them promise you the moon in exchange for your business. Because as it turns out, they actually could, with no recourse at all and charge you for being fool enough to believe them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

No matter the service required from Bell, you need to deal with at least two and more likely three people; you repeat over and over the same info. And why am I dealing with people who listen, keep me waiting and then switch me to someone new? You always feel overcharged for the given service, no matter which it is. Bell leaves me feeling underwhelmed, impatient and irritated.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I was part of a friends and family plan with Bell Canada through my husband’s company. The company recently closed and Bell would not allow any of us to continue with our plans. As I was only 1 year into my plan I was going to have to pay the penalties. I went to Costco and switched to Virgin, we were advised that the total penalty on the plan was going to be $330.00, with no unlocking fee going from Bell to Virgin. The next thing I know they have charged my credit card for $629.00! As it is on a friends and family plan, and the main contract is with my husband’s company I could only access the summary statement information which does not give the details of the charges.

The administrator of the Bell plan at my husband’s company could not get anywhere sorting out these charges with Bell. They then billed me another $56 on my credit card, and again I could not find out what these charges were for. They have now been calling me saying I owe another $56!!! I was very angry and asked them to send me an email detailing what all these charges were before I would speak to them. They said they couldn't do that and have continued to call me. I have never experienced such ridiculous and unprofessional billing practices which border on fraud. I have blocked their number and will be contacting my credit card company to see if I can recover some of these unauthorized charges.

Bell Canada expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bell Canada is the largest communications company in Canada, offering mobile phone, television, Internet and home phone services. Customers receive discounts when they subscribe to more than once service. They have both traditional landlines and fiber optic lines. The company is publically traded on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Montreal.

• International plans: Customers can choose from several international long distance plans, including unlimited calling in the United States and Canada and unlimited worldwide calling.
    • Extra features: Bell Canada offers call waiting, caller ID and call forwarding to interested customers. The features are included in the price of some plans.
    • Online support: Customers can use the self-serve options on Bell Canada’s website. The website provides troubleshooting tips and informational articles to help customers with any questions or problems. The website also has a live chat feature so customers can get instant answers to other questions about their service.
    • Protection plans: Bell Canada offers protection plans to ensure customers aren’t financially responsible for repairing damage to phone lines.
    • Safety and security: All Bell Canada phone plans are compatible with home security systems. Traditional landlines also make it easy for emergency personnel to track emergency calls.
    • Best for: Bell Canada is good for residential customers and business owners who want the reliability of a landline and/or any customers who want to bundle multiple services.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs