Bell Canada

Compare Home Phone Service

Research top Home Phone Service recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Seriously the worst customer service I had to deal with! Cancelled my account in August, returned all the equipment. Then they send me a new bill for the month of September! I call them back and they say it's cancelled and I don't have to worry about it! Then I receive the same bill again, I call back. The lady says that the cancellation got was confirmed in October and that I have to pay or else that will ruin my credit history! And she can see that the cancelation was made in August! SO basically threatening me for a service I didn't get. Be aware of this company everyone!

About a month ago, a representative from Bell was going door-to-door in our area in an effort to drum up customers. Foolishly, we signed on with Bell, because of the lower cost of internet, phone and cable TV. I'd had a dreadful experience some years ago while having Bell try to provide internet service; it was really awful and I could never manage to contact a technician. The problems with Bell have already begun. I had a Bell employee call me on Sunday afternoon (!) telling me that our free movie special (supposedly free for two months) was going to be blocked if we didn't pay our bill. I asked her how much the bill was and she gave me the amount. I made note of it and told her I'd pay it via my bank's telephone bill service payment plan. Oh, no. That wouldn't do at all. I had to wait until the paper bill arrived in the mail. Guess what? The bill still hasn't arrived.

Tuesday evening, the cable TV service began to act glitchy. It righted itself but yesterday morning the service encountered some trouble. Once it righted itself again, the internet service slowed to a long and painful and screeching halt. This was at 10:50 AM and at shortly after 2:00 PM, I had the internet back, but had to reformat a lot of things on my PC. I still cannot access my main gmail account. I don't know what happened to cause all this damage/chaos, but I am so fed up with Bell, the provider from double 'h' 'e' double hockey stick. For anyone considering this farce of a provider for any of the services it offers, please don't sign up with Bell. Putting up with Bell's incompetence and lack of support will age even the hardiest and youngest of us beyond our years. Avoid Bell like the plague that it is.

Discussed installing internet using live chat. I stated that the earliest I could be home for installation was 4:30 pm. Agent says no problem, technician will come at 4:30. I confirm the time again, again agent says no problem, technician will come at 4:30. Same evening I get a message saying technician will come between 12 to 5 pm. Call to customer service was thoroughly unhelpful - no apology, no explanation, just "we can't do that" over and over again. Basically staff will make up whatever lies to get your sale, internet is not even up yet and I know they have no integrity. Will update as the bogus charges inevitably start coming in.

Marketing agents fooled with a deal of $109 for Fibe TV and Unlimited Internet but once installation complete get confirmation with $150.00 billing. Marketing person calls up for increased internet speed at $7 price increase I agree. Next email comes speed increased with a bond for 2 years and 2gb. I call customer service. They remove the limits and say such thing will not be done. Within 1 week I received an email of discontinuing services within 2 days with a change of address. I am sick and tired of them harassing me and making money. I call customer service with the problem. They say they will stop the cancellation and take my telephone number for asking the loyalty department to call. It's been more than a week but, no callback.

It seems Bell is now making millions on calculated miscommunications. I hear nightmares from more and more people everyday which also lost patience on hours of phone calls getting nowhere with Bell Canada. They tell me they also get overcharged and it still doesn't get resolve properly. Now Bell do not offer any promos to keep you as their loyal customer. I have been a loyal customer for over 35 years and they are now charging me on my October One Bill $265.36 which is more than double last month's bill. It's because my 1 year promo term is done according to them. It's partly my fault since I should take a course on dealing with Bell's terms and conditions and not believe what you are explained over the phone.

On top of that, they just told me I would have a penalty of 75.00 if I cancel since they gave me a discount for the initial installation and the initial email I got explaining the charges is no good since they do not go back 1 year to verify. BUYERS BEWARE. I understand why more and more people find themselves having to possibly see a shrink. I encourage you to please also share your experiences so something might get done about these unfair treatments and charges which most of us cannot afford.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bell Canada?

On October 22, I installed a new cellphone SIM card I received from Bell. My old SIM card was working fine but apparently, the new card was to allow my cellphone to access the LTE network. After installing the card and restarting my phone I could only make emergency calls. No service. No access to my voicemail. At 4:22 PM, I called the Bell support line at 1-800-667-0123. The rep told me that the new sim information had not been updated on my account. I was assured that my phone service would be restored within 30 minutes and that I should restart my phone every 10 minutes or so. By 7:00 PM I still did not have phone service and called the Bell support line. After 30 minutes the rep could not fix the problem and transferred me to "Level 2" technical support. No one answered after being on hold for another 30 minutes and I hung up to have dinner.

The rep did suggest I try reinstalling my old SIM card, but it no longer works. At 8:15 PM I still did not have phone service and called the support line again. After 38 minutes with this rep (and disassembling and reassembling my phone, locating and trying the SIM in an old phone) she transferred me again to "Level 2" tech support. The line rang once and I received the Line Out Of Service Intercept message ("The number you have dialed is not in service..."). I hung up and called back the support line. As I type this I have been on hold for 37 minutes, listening to the world's worst Muzak (the same music repeats every 2 minutes and 55 seconds). Bell lost my home phone and internet service a couple of years ago. We stayed with Bell Mobility because of our corporate plan. If someone doesn't answer this support call soon I'm going to give Rogers a call.

39 minutes...45 minutes...50 minutes...55 minutes...ONE HOUR and still on hold. Does Bell Mobility consider this to be good customer service? Take an hour out of YOUR day and listen to your Muzak. For an hour. 1 hour, 5 minutes...1 hour, 10 minutes...1 hour, 15 minutes...1 hour, 20 minutes...1 hour, 25 minutes...I'm killing time and discovered that I can get my old SIM to work in another old phone I dug up. Old SIM no longer works in my newest phone. New SIM doesn't work in any phone and now my newest phone doesn't work. So thanks for that. AN HOUR AND A HALF on hold. You guys know you really suck, right?

UPDATE: I was on hold for 2 hours, 51 minutes, 28 seconds. I'd still be on hold but the battery went dead on my cordless phone. NEW UPDATE: At about 12:45 AM on October 23, I was finally able to get through to another customer support representative. I think I woke him up. It was like talking to comedian Steven Wright. Or Carlton Your Doorman. I explained the problem I had been having and he told me that the Level 2 Tech Support had left for the day and that he was the only tech support. I asked him what he might suggest to fix my problem and he said "the system" was down so he couldn't verify anything.

I also complained about the 2 hours and 51 minutes I had to wait on hold earlier in the evening. Silence. I asked him if he was still there. He said, still in a bored, disinterested tone, "What do you want me to do?". I asked him if this kind of on-hold wait time is now the norm. Could I expect this level of service from Bell in the future? "It's out of my hands", he replied. I asked him if a supervisor was on duty. He said no. I asked when a supervisor would be on duty. "Later on", he said. "At what time?" I asked. Finally, he told me a supervisor would be in at 9:00 AM. I told him I would call back then. "Fine", he said and hung up. No apology. Nothing. Just a bored, disinterested drone with zero interest in customer support. I escalated my complaint through the Bell Mobility website, but to-date (November 2, 2016) nothing has been done.

Called to report slow internet speed: 1130 - agent #1 (online chat). Determined my internet account had been cancelled (no record of who cancelled the service). Note that I was using online chat at the time. Deferred to the "Account specialist". 1200 - on hold for 10 minutes. Spoke to supervisor. Call disconnected at 1230 while I was on hold and was picked up by business tech support. When she realized I was calling about residential internet, she transferred my call. 1244 - bell mobility support, then she transferred me to residential internet support. 1258 - call disconnected. 1305 - called back, spoke to representative who then transferred call to the "cancellation department." I hung up and called back to internet support. 1320 - call transferred to "accounts". 1330 - things are looking up. Jennifer was going to be able to help. 1340 - call disconnected. 1340 - called back and found out that I have been using my neighbours internet since Aug.

I had been having a problem with my internet since Jan when I switched to Bell. The technician who came to my home must have mistakenly disconnected my internet. This experience has proven to me that Bell Canada has serious internal problems and deficiencies that reflect poorly on the senior management teams. P.S. providing my order # will only show you the point at which I was able to get help. It will not show you the trail of the 10 other representatives I spoke to today. You have a lot of work to do to improve this service. If I had any other viable choice in service provider I would definitely have cancelled my account with Bell today.

I called Bell one week and two days prior to my move date when I would no longer be needing Bell internet. I received an email stating the time and date my internet service would be canceled. So far so good! 24 hours later my internet is turned off. Completely contradicting the confirmation email they sent out. Since then I have spent COUNTLESS hours on the phone trying to reconnect my internet that I still require for business purposes for the week. I have spoke to Bell customer service agents who have yelled at me, interrupted me, hung up on me and given me false guarantees with reference numbers confirming that my internet would be up within 24 hours.

I am on day 4 without internet. Appalling service. Speaking to friends and colleagues and this is a common story, Bell not caring about your service once you tell them you are leaving and canceling early. They are full of false promises and send out misleading information and emails. Do not trust them. Do not give them your money. AVOID BELL! It is NOT WORTH IT!

Bell sales rep called for no obligation loyalty internet upsell mid-September for only $5.00 more per month, which I accepted. Email was received September 14 confirming the service upgrade. This email did not mention upgrade being tied to a new term, rather as an ongoing promo, which is all good... so far. On September 19 or 20th, I canceled all of my services with Bell and was busy transitioning to new provider. Fast forward to my final bill, I am misbilled for every single service & charged a $100 termination fee for the mentioned upgrade. I search my email and find that on September 22 *after my cancellation* I received an email from Bell about the upgrade, this time they made sure to cite a two year term which was never mentioned, never would I have agreed.

On the phone many times with Bell to correct all of their mistakes, 97% of which is spent sitting on hold, then possibly being hung up on. Their notes on my account are not updated and don't have an accurate history of events and agreements. Case manager assigned to call within 48 hours never calls. Wasting more time chasing Bell to fix their mistakes and feel like they should be paying me for doing this for them. Nice customer experience management, right? The funny thing is that I was happy with Bell and even mentioned this to them. Husband wanted to switch. I had planned to return and that was obvious. I guess losing a loyal long term customer and their business is not worth as much as a desperate grab for a few ill gotten dollars *right now*. Instant gratification at any cost. Understand this a loss, not a win. How short sighted!

Now my loyalty is lost. The case is in progress. I am the one who is owed money and looking forward to finding out how it is handled, and how Bell will manage mounting fallout due to this kind of activity on reputation channels. I hope this helps existing Bell customers to be aware of such activity and insist on confirmation of terms and conditions in writing, same day. Then, more importantly, to watch out for subsequent emails sneaking in with terms and conditions that you never agreed to which are to your financial detriment, especially if you have recently canceled services. Disappointed and disgusted that businesses are able to walk all over consumers this way. So shameful.

About three years ago, I signed up a 3 years contract with Bell Canada internet + phone line. Now after 3 years we had lots of problems with the internet and I was stuck with the contract I had to put up with. So now I try to call Bell and wait almost 45 min to answer, I try to cancel the service, they were telling me internet you can cancel but phone you can not cancel because your contract just got renewed for another 3 years. I try to tell them I signed up for only first 3 years, you can not lock me up for another years automatically without call me, if I want to, or it should be on month to month basis after three years pass.

So now I try to talk with three agents but got no help, and asked for one the manager to call. They told it will take 2 to 3 business day, but now 3 weeks pass. No one called. I think this is not legal to lock consumers for another 3 years contract, once their first contract to finished. Here is my Bell account number **. I had lost trust with company, but now I should rethink about them before I call for new services and recommend them to others.

Not a concern but rather a complaint and a desperate call to have my situation resolved. I have been your client for 6 years and I have had it with the abuse and the lies from your representatives. Every statement is like a box of chocolates, surprises and extra charges over and over again for years. On my last statements I received extra charges in one of my lines for long distance. I spoke to a supervisor and he proceeded to provide me with a credit for approximately $83 or $86 dollars. On my new statement, I received extra charges again for a new long distance feature that I did not request and also charges for late payment.

I spoke to Rep ** and she told me that she was making notes in the system and that the supervisor was calling me back to sort out my issue. The call never came. I call back today, October 21 and spoke to someone else. I had to tell the whole story all over again since there were no details in the system and no manager, nor a supervisor to take my case; once again waiting for someone to call me back.

Your service is the worst, you lie to your customers and have no respect for them. Besides all the time that as a customer I have to spend speaking to different people and waiting for issues to be resolved and the mental sanity of being lied over and over again needs to stop. I have been your client for 6 years, I have 3 lines with you and I have also had dealings with Bell via the companies I have worked for in the past. Look at my payment history and maybe you do not care about losing a client like me but I am ready to know what my penalty is for me to cancel my contracts and take my business elsewhere. Please look into my file, resolve my situation and contact me with a final solution.

All my life I have been with Bell Canada for home phone, and for years for home phone and internet. First of all Bell's billing information was always extremely complicated and comprehension of all the information for the customers was highly unlikely. Secondly their rates were way too high, like all the companies who are there to squeeze the maximum out of their customers, this is called greed, a plague of modern age unfortunately. My new service provider for home phone and internet costs me about half of what Bell used to charge me, for equal or better services. So people, take my advice and stay away from Bell, they're only there to gouge you good, there are many services providers out there who are a way better choice.

My daughter and I signed up for Bell tv and unlimited internet in April 2016 on a one year promotion. To date we have never received the promotional rate we had agreed to. Calling Bell is ridiculous. It has taken over an hour to speak to someone after which the line gets disconnected and I have to go through the same process all over again. This has been going on for the last six months. My daughter and I both have registered complaints with the CRTC through the CCTS. After reading the large number of complaints against Bell I am wondering if there is a way to get a class action lawsuit going. The frustration and consumption of time wasted should be reimbursed. Would love to know how to start a class action lawsuit.

I had been a loyal customer for 4 years. I was on a two year contract when I had to pay out my bill to go overseas for a year. I paid all fees and was told I was out of my contract. I paid another unlocking fee to get a new Australian SIM card put in and was good to go. So I thought. Until returning from my trip to find they charged me a 400 dollar cancellation fee a month after I had bought out my contract! Since I wasn't aware of this fee for the past year it got sent to my credit score and is now affecting my chances of getting a new plan with another company.

I called to dispute these fees and the representatives April and Abdul were absolutely horrible and couldn't even comprehend the conversation. Once I finally convinced them to let me speak to a manager he told me because it was past the 90 day dispute period. I am completely disgusted by bell's customer service. I have always heard horrible things about over charges from bell, but I never experienced it myself until now. Trust me, do not go on Bell!!

I just had Bell Fibe TV installed (should have gone to Rogers). I ordered fios and a 4K pvr. Luckily I was home at the day of installation as I caught the installer trying to install the older HomeHub 2000 instead of a 3000. Then when he went to leave I asked about the second tv and was told to call customer service. Well I went online and noticed he hadn't even installed the correct pvr, he decided to only setup a HD version and after talking to an online rep I've been told to fix it will cost me $75??? So going to be calling in and canceling my service. You'd think they would be willing to fix their mistakes for free.

Every negative comment on this forum is right on the money. Just trying to cancel a service I never received turned into a nightmare. Spent all day yesterday on the phone being shuffled around from four different countries trying to talk to the right person. Too many people from all over the world trying to do one simple job. Bell is in dire need of "Quality Control". What ever deal they offer you and no matter how good it sounds... trust me... IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Mother passed away and we shared the same phone plan. I called to inform Bell she had passed and I would like to cancel her phone. Was told that she would have to be the one to call in. Told them again that she had died and it was impossible for her to cancel herself. Was told again she needed to call and cancel. Ended up paying for her phone for quite some time even after canceling my phone and switching providers. Only resolution came when I just plain stopped paying the bill after I switched providers.

DO NOT... I repeat... DO NOT sign up with Bell. I would be here all day writing my complaint. But after reading all the other complaints here, I see that I am not alone. The absolute worst customer service out there. Training a bunch of monkeys could do a better job than these clowns. After 3 escalation complaints... I'm still not closer to a resolution. I'm STILL being charged for a modem which is not even connected, and was supposed to receive the return label which I still haven't received... I've been waiting now since July 2016.

The final straw is now... they took out the payment from my bank account 2 days before it was due. Well, I got the bank to return the funds, now I will take further legal action. The amount of stress that all this has caused (been having issues since May 22, 2016) is outrageous. You cannot call them because you get NOWHERE... AND I was put on hold for over an hour when I asked to speak with a supervisor. I finally had to hang up. Absolute horrible service!!!

I left Bell 10 years ago and switched to Rogers. When I bought a new cottage in Muskoka I needed satellite and thought I'd save a few bucks with a internet, tv bundle package... big mistake! My home internet speed was slow (less than 5mbps) and after 3 technicians came to my house and could not repair it to the 25 mbs as advertised. I tried to cancel after only 3 months of service. They gave me a small discount and kept me on hold for hours passing me from one department to another like a bag of cookies at a campfire. I would never use Bell again!

Sales representative of Bell converted our home bundle to Bell on a certain monthly rate confirming that it will never change. I called the company several times to make sure of this information and I it confirmed by several employees after 2 years the my invoice to 189 $ then 220 $ instead of 132 $. They've told me it is not true it was a 24 month promo. They did not credit me my money even instead they said there is no record of the phone conversation after 2 years plus fluctuating the price from 189 to 220 in no time regarding that my usage did not change at all. This is Bell Canada never to be trusted.

Took me over 45 minutes to call to cancel all plans and services, as well to decommission my number. I called back and the agent said I was signed up for $50 per month plan, when I expressly said I did not want it -- another 45+ minutes wasted! Beware of Bell; if you call in to cancel, they'll transfer you to somebody to waste your time and try to sell you more of their over priced products and services. If you still insist on cancelling and leaving, they'll just charge you and sign you up for some god damn subscription.

DO NOT USE BELL!!! GARBAGE SERVICE, GARBAGE EVERYTHING. I do not want to waste my time with my story. BELL has done us wrong 3 times this month alone. 2 service interruptions plus something personal today. STAY AWAY, save your money. Go to wind. At least the service is sub-par. The price is sub par too!! I am calling BELL in few hours to tell them where they can go!!! COLLECT 0.00 is good for your services. ZERO STARS IF POSSIBLE.

I had Bell TV, home phone, internet bundle service before, and having a worst experience from their service. VERY hard to cancel their service. YOU MUST CALL them and have to listen Royal Custom Care's explaining, and it takes more than 1-hour call. I spent total 3 more days to cancelled their service. The worst thing is the Bell Collections Department call my cell before PAYMENT DUE DATE. I ask I didn't receive any bill, and they said Billing department send 2 days ago, and Collection Department calls two days after they mailed the invoice. I said, "Don't call my cell before I received the invoice and payment due date", but one week later, they call my cell again 3 times per day for payment. I STILL HAVE MORE THAN 2 WEEKS' PAYMENT DUE DATE. I research Consumer Protection Ontario, and want to sue this Bell service, but I don't know what I need to do. I was angry during my office hour beside of my co-worker.

It was a big mistake for me to move to Bell. The agent told me I will get one package free for 2 month and will add within 48/72 hours. When it not activated I call Bell and they said they don't have any notes on the account regarding the conversation. So be careful when you call make sure you record the conservation and write the name of the agent and ask agent to send a email regarding the confirmation, otherwise you will be in my situation. I not recommended Bell to anyone. Very disappointed.

I'm terribly upset over the new Bell Mail service over the old Outlook that we used to have. Why on earth would they have changed this over to something worse? Definitely considering leaving Bell for my services. It gone way overboard.

Bell Canada forced its clients using Sympatico email to move away from Outlook to a terrible new interface at bell.net, which they claimed was an upgrade. Instead, it feels like I am back in the late nineties on dial-up, whenever I try to use my email, which is absolutely essential to my business. The inbox is painfully slow to load--and very often, it does not load at all. The search function is basically useless. If I want to search for an old email address or email, I literally have to log into my old Outlook account (which can no longer receive any new emails) to find anything. I frequently end up deleting emails from my inbox by accident, because of the way that the system works.

Today, I have not been able to load my inbox almost for the entire day. My messages do not load and I was told, after being on the phone for a half hour, that there is a problem with the email system across the board. But they offered absolutely no time frame for resolving any of these problems. Bell.net email is absolutely unacceptable. We need to return to Outlook or to a new interface. If Bell cannot resolve this rapidly, I will have no choice but to give up my Sympatico email--which I have had for 14 years--and pull the plug on my Bell services as well. This is a disgrace! I encourage all of you to submit complaints to the Better Business Bureau. I certainly will.

While my issues with Bell began several years ago, and include several hours of on the phone time, three phone calls and over billings of 300.00+, I'll refer to the most recent issues. In May of this year, my husband began to have problems with his phone. The screen was becoming unclear to read and seemed to be pushed out from the casing. You had to squeeze the side to be able to read it. But no problem - we had purchased the insurance that would, as we were told, "enable for an easy replacement of the phone if anything happened" and "because you have kids, it's an absolute lifesaver". So we paid the monthly fee, for just such a circumstance.

However, when we called we were told we would have to pay a $150.00 dollars for 'deductible' to have a replacement phone sent out. Huh? Keep in mind that he had a iPhone 5 32 gig. Now, we were almost at the end of the contract, and if we renewed, he would simply get another phone for free, so why would we pay the $150.00. We spoke this time to a lovely lady who was extremely helpful. At this point, I was pleased with her customer service (this was my 2nd call into Bell for this issue), that I decided to forgive and let bygones be bygones and renew my contract at the same time and upgrade to an iPhone 6.

So, we receive an email saying his phone is on its way. I called a few days later (3rd phone call now) and was assured it was also on its way. His phone arrived and I had still not received an email for mine. I explained that and was assured again that it would arrive within the next 5 business days (4th phone call). 11 business days later I still hadn't received it, so I called again. I was assured again that it would arrive at any time. I asked the gentleman to please look at the phone that was coming and confirm that it was the iPhone 6. He says, no, it's an iPhone 5 and that the order was never placed for an iPhone 6. So I said, "ok, my contract on this phone is about to run out, I want ensure since the order wasn't placed that this contract will not be renewed." He confirmed that it will go month to month. I said, "Ok."

Now, while this was going on, I was trying to get his old phone backed up to iTunes to get the new phone working. I was running into problems so I called a lady at the Apple/iTunes help desk and she was awesome. When I was explaining to her how I had to read the screen she knew right away that the issue was a battery problem, and ironically, Apple covers that 100%, no deductible. She sent me a box to send the phone back and within two weeks, a new phone arrived. Had Bell employees been better trained, we would NEVER have been DUPED into another contract!! Oh, but it gets worse!! On Friday, I received an email on my phone number (both my number and my husband's are listed under the same account), saying that the contract has been renewed for another two years.

I called the help desk again (5th phone call) and after a LENGTHY discussion, found out that indeed my number had been renewed under contract. I reminded them that my phone was old, and that my husband had the new phone. The lady offered to talk to the "other department" and call me back (this was now 45 minutes into the phone call) on Monday. So Monday, she did call (6th conversation now) and told me that there was nothing that could be done. I said, "so you're telling me that my husband gets a new phone and no contract, and I have my old phone and the two year contract". I was told that I should have called her when I received the original email but now it's too late to do anything about it. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she told me the supervisor would tell me the same thing. Her solution, simply invest in another two year contract for my husband and he can get a new phone as well.

I have never dealt with a company with such crappy service and such accountability to correcting their own errors! The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and you get different information every time you speak to a new person! A customer service tip: don't tell me you "know how I must feel". YOU did not get up this morning, balance full time school, full time employment, a business, a household, volunteer in your community (all wonderful things) then have to deal with this. You DON'T know how I feel and to assume that you do is EXTREMELY condescending. Note! I don't blame the people at the call centres who do their best to be polite and helpful, I blame the company ideology and training!

A family member came to visit and I got her a 1 month plan. After cancelling the plan, I thought everything was fine, only to receive a $250 bill in the mail 2 months later. I had gone to the customer service and asked then to break down the bill for me. It was fair that my guest had gone over their minutes which accounted for $210. But what about the other $40? Bell had billed me for the next month as well despite me cancelling the plan. It is very disappointing that Bell would try to charge me for something you had never used. As far as I am concerned, it looks like Bell was trying to get more money out of me that what I was supposed to pay. Despite having heard negative reviews about Bell, I figured why not giving them a try. I should have listed to the reviews and never signed up with Bell. I will never make the mistake of signing up with Bell or recommending it ever again.

I agree with the person from Frankford, Ontario about the new Bell mail that was forced on us. The former Outlook was really good. The new product is terrible. I have a long list of complaints and, as he said, there is no clear way to contact Bell about this. The most annoying thing is the "check" box that he mentioned. You have to uncheck it manually. There is no reason for it to be automatically checked. If you hit the return key, it automatically double spaces. What if I want to line up names and addresses? I am now receiving junk and spam that I never received before. I can no longer just click on the inbox from an email I'm reading. I have to click on "back." I can no longer click on the sender's address to see the actual email address; it just gives the name. And on and on and on!

First off, may as well note that I was very reluctant to sign up with Bell after all of the horror stories I've heard and read about. I probably should have just went with my gut instinct, but then I wouldn't be here, would I? The price I got everything for was alright to begin with, but that's because I got it during a special promotional pricing initiative. As is typical I was offered this price for 3 months, and then the bill was free to skyrocket, and that it did. They were very misleading about what my full price was going to actually be after the first 3 months, so this was a bit of a surprise to me.

So the first of many issues I had was that they signed me up, without my consent, for a $5 a month anti-virus included with my internet. I quickly put a stop to that nonsense. They could see I hadn't even used it, so I was given 'credit' on my account. This was after me being a customer for a few months, so I have no idea how they just magically added this feature onto my account without so much as contacting me or letting me know.

Then a few months later after my promotional price is over, my bill magically goes up another $5. The only notice I received of this increase in price was a small (hidden) note in a drop down menu in my account page ON A BILL 2 MONTHS PRIOR to the bill they actually changed my price on. They don't have the courtesy to email me or let me know of this price increase, so I imagine they hoped I wouldn't notice. This was a permanent price increase on my services, it wasn't an added feature or anything. They decided to up my bill a few bucks, just because.

A couple months after that, the same thing happens! My bill permanently goes up another few bucks, all in the name of "Price adjustments support our continued investments in network, product and service enhancements." I find it very ironic that they are free to manipulate the price of my contract whenever they want, and yet I'm supposedly locked in to paying them for 2 YEARS. Them changing the prices of my bill should make the contract null and void, and I should be free to leave without any additional termination fees. But nope; they are happy to have their hooks in me and couldn't care less about changing the prices I originally agreed to. So after being a customer for not even a year, I was already pretty fed up. What kind of service company ups the price of their service and I haven't even been a customer for a year yet?

Fast forward to around the 1 year mark, and I decided to cancel my internet in favour of a more reliable provider. I followed their instructions for returning the internet modem to a tee. A month later I was charged a $99 non-return fee for my internet modem. Are you KIDDING ME. I looked up the Canada post tracking #, and there it was showing very clearly that the package containing my modem had been received by them. As a result of my bill being $99 more than it should have been, I immediately cancelled my monthly bill auto-payment from my bank account. I didn't want them taking that money out of my account.

After going through the usual Bell customer service charade, I had the bill adjusted and the $99 removed. But that's not all... So after I had the bill adjusted accordingly, I paid the bills balance manually with my credit card. But then 3 weeks later, guess what happens? They still take the full amount for the bill they screwed up on out of my bank account. So they forcefully still took that $99 out of my personal bank account even after my bill was adjusted to the correct amount by them. I'm not even kidding. I cancelled my auto payment on the 1st of the month, and they withdrew the money from my account on the 18th, almost 3 weeks later. WHAT?

Unfortunately I'm forced to call them again... They are unable to return the money back to my bank account, but a credit on my Bell account is no problem. The customer rep I was speaking with even had the balls to try and upsell me, trying to sell me internet (I'm literally calling about an issue THEY MESSED UP ON concerning my cancelled internet), and a cellphone plan. NO, I do not want to sign up for more services from Bell, why would I ever want to at this point? I was offered no compensation, no nothing. All I got out of it was a 'whoops'. I have email documentation of all of this, but yet they still couldn't just put the money back in my bank account. I got credit for it on my account, but I'm still left salty over it. Needless to say, I cannot wait until I can cancel my satellite service without being penalized $ for it. I will absolutely never do business with Bell ever again, and will recommend the same to everybody I know.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Bell Canada is the largest communications company in Canada, offering mobile phone, television, Internet and home phone services. Customers receive discounts when they subscribe to more than once service. They have both traditional landlines and fiber optic lines. The company is publically traded on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Montreal.

• International plans: Customers can choose from several international long distance plans, including unlimited calling in the United States and Canada and unlimited worldwide calling.
  • Extra features: Bell Canada offers call waiting, caller ID and call forwarding to interested customers. The features are included in the price of some plans.
  • Online support: Customers can use the self-serve options on Bell Canada’s website. The website provides troubleshooting tips and informational articles to help customers with any questions or problems. The website also has a live chat feature so customers can get instant answers to other questions about their service.
  • Protection plans: Bell Canada offers protection plans to ensure customers aren’t financially responsible for repairing damage to phone lines.
  • Safety and security: All Bell Canada phone plans are compatible with home security systems. Traditional landlines also make it easy for emergency personnel to track emergency calls.
  • Best for Bell Canada is good for residential customers and business owners who want the reliability of a landline and/or any customers who want to bundle multiple services.

Compare Home Phone Service