3.5/5 (812 ratings)

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

Pros

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

Cons

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to giv...

Verified

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to st...

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
  • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
  • Nurses
  • Physicians
  • Military
  • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
  • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
  • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
Who owns AT&T Wireless?
AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

AT&T Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I switched from sprint to AT&T in 2012 been with them ever since. I added home internet service in 2020 which I’m also very satisfied with. Both my wireless and internet service are fast, reliable, affordable, account management everything from bill pay, upgrading, changing plans, are simple and convenient. Customer service is excellent, sales, technical support... I honestly never once had a bad experience with a customer service rep. They’re 100% helpful, friendly, reliable, knowledgeable, go above and beyond to give me whatever I need. That says a lot Coming from someone who’s called customer service A LOT for all types of situations over the years, several being out of the ordinary and difficult to figure out. This is also coming from someone who’s Had wireless and internet with many other companies. I doubt I will ever switch to another company. And I highly recommend AT&T to anyone who needs fast reliable affordable service.

Sincerely

Lisa M

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

We switched from another carrier due to high bills and bad customer service. When we started with AT&T, we notice no dropped calls, better customer service and easier bills to understand. The plans were much cheaper than our previous provider. We got some additional incentives for being military, and we sure do appreciate the recognizing our military. I’m not sure if we’ll upgrade anything but I’m glad we’re with this company. Thanks for great service. Keep up the good work.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Overall, they have been a pretty good and a dependable company. My biggest issue is when I upgrade my lines, every couple of years, they always say all these fees are being waived but I always have to call in and spend 3 hours on the line disputing the charges. Granted, they have always removed them it but the hassle of having to spend 3 hours of a busy day on the phone is unnecessary. I recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Sadly not covered any longer for Free Apple repairs or service (Expired). I wish for the price of this cell phone Apple MNCP2J/A that the warranty would continue much longer for ease of mind and monies. If AT&T's product is so good in their mind wouldn't it be fair in saying that they should stand behind their product for more coverage usage. AT&T should demand that their cell phone companies stand behind their phone company products much better.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I have been with AT&T since 2007. I have always been happy with their customer service. It was the best. In the past two years I can however tell something is different and not for the good. I have such a hard time getting in touch with an actual person and then automated stuff is a joke- it never heard correctly and you get redirected I. Circles then the call disconnects - ugh. Honestly when it comes to getting in touch with someone on the phone I feel humans work best.

Original review: May 18, 2022

In March 2022, I was offered a new phone by AT&T wireless in exchange for my old off-contract phone (btw $600 and $800). I reported the true condition of the phone online and was told I would receive full credit. I received the new phone and sent in the old phone. I was told that I would get only $5 for the phone because they reported a condition that was not true of the phone when it was sent. ALL functions of the phone worked when it was sent in. I was told I could not have my old phone returned but would have to take the $5 (this feels like theft, I did NOT agree and WOULD NOT have agreed to trade in my old phone for $5. It worked very well), I was told I would also need to pay full price for the new phone.

I sought resolution 2 times and was denied any resolution. So, I was told I would get a phone for $6-8 a month. I am being forced to pay $26. I was told I would be paid $600-$800 for a phone that I traded in and was told that I had no option but to accept the $5 they offered me because I could not have my phone back. The phone was in working condition and valued at much higher than $5.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Before signing up for the service you should really try out their customer support. It's nonexistent. Over 100 hours over two weeks trying to fix account problems and triple charges on 7 prepaid lines from a supposed computer glitch with complete loss of each account and payment made me switch companies in the end. They haven't offered any returns of charges so far either. The corporate store was zero help. I would be more understanding if the customer support were better. What a terrible experience. Even prepaid accounts aren't safe from extra charges and fees. As we suffered weeks with no service even after paying triple upfront on each of the 7 lines. Hundreds lost and time lost. If you value your money and time look elsewhere for cellular service.

Original review: May 8, 2022

If I could give AT & T one star I would! Too many issues with billing. They will send you down a rabbit hole when you try to straighten out any issues. I have switched to Metro. No muss no fuss. You pay your bill in advance once a month, real simple.

Original review: May 5, 2022

My phone was stolen in January but was returned many hours later the same day. My husband ordered a new phone thinking that my phone was gone forever. When I came home from work, he saw that I had my phone so we returned the new cell phone when we received it a couple days later back to AT&T. A couple weeks later my phone shut off in the middle of the workday. I could not even call at&t because it was blacklisted from service. The person on the phone assured me that they would turn it right back on they just wanted to make sure that I did in fact have my original cell phone back in hand. A couple days later my phone shut off again, again in the middle of a workday. I called AT&T back and this went on several times where they would fix it and my phone would shut back off again. At one point it shut off while I was using my GPS to get somewhere.

Each time the associate told me they were making sure that it was fixed for good. Seemingly that’s what happened back on January 24. Fast forward to me second, my phone shut off in the middle of the day while I am at work. AT&T said that they have to put a ticket in to their back office and they do not have a phone number for the back office. They just have to open a ticket. They told me it would take 24 to 48 hours. We are now at the 48 hour mark and still no one knows anything about my phone. I just spent 35 minutes on the phone with them having to repeat myself for the 800th time as to what is going on. She gave me the phone number for Assyrian which is the insurance company who continues to blacklist my phone. No one cares about the customer. Why am I doing all the foot work for the cell phone. They’re such a huge company they don’t care whether they lose a customer. It’s the worst customer service and terrible business practice that I have experienced. I will be leaving AT&T.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I have moved to AT&T wireless from T-Mobile expecting better coverage. But my early experience with the service was network coverage which was even worst than T-mobile. Then the next comes, I started receiving more than 100 junk calls a day. When I moved, I traded my old phone (iPhone 11Pro Max) which if I had traded that in the Apple store for the new one, they were about to give me $500 back on new phone.

However, I traded in the Apple for new phone, now since I wanted to move back to T-mobile again, the At&t made me to pay the phone's full balance because I am not staying with them for 36 months. Since I am paying full, I asked them where my old phone trade-in value went. They answered me this is what it is, I won't be getting that phone's value. So this is literally looting the customer in the name of trade-in. Do not trade your old phone in for whatever reason, rather trade it in the Apple store. I have traded my old phones with T-mobile previously when I was with them, they always honored me how Apple store honored with outright discount on the new phone. I am never going to come back to AT&T, never in my life.

AT&T Wireless Company Information