AT&T Wireless

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Experience has been the same for decades. The following sequence occurs every single time I call: I call to set up service or change something (because after the "new customer" promotion, prices go way up for existing loyal customers, not that we have a choice because they are essentially a monopoly). I'm on hold, I get an offer, I ask questions, they say something different from what they initially said, finally there is some consistency to what they say so we agree on a plan, it seems to get all set up, I get transferred to some other dept, call drops. The phone company is incapable of transferring a call without hanging up on you - after 30".

I call back, I'm on hold, the 2nd person looks at what the 1st person did, "the 1st person made a mistake in your order, so sorry, we have to do it again (I've been told to call back AGAIN later in the day to cancel the screw-up order), I will transfer you to that department", call drop #2. Wait for the person to call you after they dropped your call the 2nd time after being on with them for 25". No callback, ever. Sometimes another person will call several days later & ask how you like everything. You wonder if the service or change you set up ever happened, because you never get an email confirmation. From the phone/internet/email/satellite service company. Don't bother asking them to fax you anything, the rep I spoke to said they don't have that capability. I'm actually not surprised. I think there was better service in the 1970s.

The website is terrible in that when you want to "view your plan" all you can do is, naturally, pay your bill. The site is also slow, with a friendly reminder that it may be because of your internet connection. Oddly, no other website is slow. Does the AT&T site use a special slow internet connection? I don't have an order number, for my (I think) open order, because I was naturally not given one via phone or email. Their installation staff seem to be pretty skilled & professional. They call when they say they will, & they make themselves available with an actual direct phone number. This part of the company is competent.

I have been with AT&T since Oct 2015 when they lured me to paying off my early termination fee with T-Mobile only to find out that they gouge their customers on every billing. Every month I was on the phone due to bills that they charge extra. It was a waste of time every month and it in not worth all the headache. So I finally switched back to T-Mobile. They have different lines of customer service so if you have all the time to go through that you can sometime get reimbursed but not guaranteed.

When I canceled my account 2 days after paying my bill for March 19-April 19, they told me after doing the cancellation process that they do not pro-rate! So they will keep my payment of $186 that covers to April 19 even though my services was only for 3 days since I canceled today Mar. 21. Is this right? T-Mobile advised me that the phone company is suppose to pro-rate my bill. We as consumers are being leeched by these company just because we cannot live without our phone!

HOW IS THIS LEGAL? Billing situation and customer service are unsatisfactory to say the least. As a part of the military my family and I move quite a bit and DIRECTV or AT&T or whoever (I can't figure it out because customer service is so TERRIBLE) has made my tv/internet situation a NIGHTMARE. Everything started off fine until we moved into a new home. There was confusion about our bill so my wife would call to resolve the problem EVERY MONTH. Nothing ever got done and the lack of knowledge and respect from the AT&T team was obvious.

A few months into our new home we receive a past due bill from DirecTV with and outstanding amount due. I understand we are responsible for knowing what we pay for but it shouldn't be rocket science to get on the same page as AT&T. All I ask is that AT&T and Directv take accountability and make a better effort to inform its customers. Respect the little guy. This post in an honest effort to see if anything can be done because I am not rich, sadly. I may not be a customer of 30 years, but I am a PERSON and I believe my family and I deserve a little respect. If I could afford to leave AT&T today I would, but I will gladly break ties when our contract is up.

This is for all AT&T services... unfortunately it now includes DirecTV which was always great until this incompetent, useless, lying, worthless, company bought them. I've logged over 100 hours on the phone in the last 4 years trying to fix their ** ups! Had them for a decade before when they were decent... I don't know if it is because they got much bigger or if their upper management is just oblivious to customer needs or makes so much THEY DO NOT GIVE A DAMN! I have changed all my services and all my families to other carriers except for DirecTV which is OK with programming but customer service now sucks because they are part of the AT&T family.

The lower level employees are stuck in the middle--they do not have the authority to do anything anymore, and when you call, it is usually the Philippines for customer service and India for Tech Support--and there is never any supervisors available, most do not understand English clearly (another money saving move from the CEO and upper management of this now worthless company). THEY MUST CHANGE THEIR NAME FROM "AMERICAN TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH" to something else, because they no longer are "American". I could go on forever (I'm a retired service manager so I have a some experience in the field) but all I will say in conclusion is if you value your time and money do not, I repeat, do not use this company for anything. Promises of Visa cards are also lies--BAIT AND SWITCH AND YOU'RE STUCK because they have the money and do not care!!!

Where to start? Since day 1 my family and I went to the closest AT&T store to our house. Seeing the commercial online for this seems we have DirecTV we would get the deals on the TV. WRONG! We went to the store and told them about the deals offered (combining the bills) and was told theyre not doing them no more. After speaking with this guy for about an hour and a half he told us about the free iPhone 7 that does come with the plan and we would get unlimited data only because we have DirecTV. Then find out its now offered on a regular basis not just because we had DirecTV. They also proceeded to tell us we would get prepaid VISA's for switching over from another carrier of up to $650 per line or phone. This store also told us they could not take the phones we had for trade in, that we had to send them in through the mail and had to get the info online.

After about 2 days after deciding to switch over we tried going to a different store. After speaking with the manager there about the terrible service we had at the last store he proceeded to tell us that the store we first went to was not a authorized AT&T dealer but do sell their phones (This place said AT&T on the front of the building). The manager said this store was different in the fact that these employees are not trained the same as the authorized stores. However the service I had at the store I was in second was much better was still not great.

A few months later we had someone drop off our plan and returned the phone to us. After speaking with the first representative they told me we can cancel this 4th line and return the phone and that I will receive confirmation in about 2 hours in my email. I was also told he set up the file for the last bill I received from previous carrier and will get confirmation within 2 hours for that also. This was around 3 PM on a Saturday or Sunday. By bedtime I checked my email just to find out there is not any from AT&T. I waited about 48 hours to see if it was just delayed and checked again and there was nothing.

Contacted support again and after being transferred 4 times finally to just be told "sorry the last guy gave you the wrong info" and nothing was done that was discussed over the weekend. I tried to speak with a supervisor but now this person was telling me they had the same capabilities as a supervisor. I explained the same stuff to this guy as I did to the one over the weekend. All he could say was "sorry he gave you the wrong information, But I can save you money by switching your plan". At this point I dont even want to stay with AT&T. Why would I want to lock in a new price to stay even longer. I left the message because I was getting nowhere after being on the chat for 2 and a half hours.

The next day I started over again with the same conversation as if these guys dont save them in logs or anything. After speaking with a so called supervisor she told me the same exact stuff as the second guy about switching the plan and nothing they could do. I was speaking with them for about an hour and a half this time and got frustrated again and left the chat again.

I did file for the VISA prepaid cards for switching over myself online and got an email confirmation stating "In Review". It was only in review for about 5 days and just received an email stating they will not give anything towards this as I already received too much from the trade ins. I am not sure why anyone would want to stay with this carrier after their 2 year term is up. I can promise that I will be leaving on the day of my last. I am sorry that I switched to AT&T and will not ever come back when I leave. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THESE GUYS TO MY WORST ENEMY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

We had a very terrible experience with AT&T customer service. After being at&t customers for many years, we are switching from at&t to T-Mobile because we have been unrightfully overcharged. After we cancelled our contract we were unable to unlock our phone despite it fulfilling all the criteria. It kept on giving an error message that we had upgraded thus could not unlock our phone for 14 days but we had not at all. After calling 3 times, putting in a case and still getting the same response, and getting a different excuse each time we were more than annoyed.

Our last call consisted of speaking to a supervisor, named Nathan, who was not only rude and condescending but was also lying through his teeth. He told us at&t DOES NOT allow for early termination although this was not brought up by 5 other people and we had already paid the early termination fee. He then proceeded to tell us the reason we got the error message was because the person who cancelled our plan had renewed our contract and thus it counted as an upgrade. He told us that his solution was to buy another unlocked phone from at&t and another SIM card.

After telling him we don't want this he just tells us that he'll put in another case and we need to wait for 14 days. After 2 days of calling multiple times with only lies being told to us our only solution was for our daughter to wait for the 14 days without a phone with no way to contact. We had brought up our concern that she was flying out tomorrow for school and we would not be able to contact her. His response was to tell us that he had lived 7 years without a phone. We could not believe this is how an at&t supervisor would treat a customer. If we could've rated them zero we would have.

In December I called AT&T to set up international phone line so my senior mom can call her friends back home in Poland. I was told it will cost me $55 unlimited calls per month. My mom made phone calls freely being under impression that as I was told this is all under one unlimited monthly charge. Turned out they sold me unlimited but national not international plan and I ended up with over $1300 to be paid.

After I call them multiple times and being told they are enrolling me in international plan now and my charges will be adjusted nothing has been done. I spent hours over the phone with customer service, they even gave me reference claim numbers. I told them I am happy to pay for my calls but as long as it is under international plan. Nothing has been done, I am back with the same bill.

My question is why do they record the calls when you talk to them but can not verify what they are actually talking about? I asked the AT&T person "Are you sure this plan is unlimited for international calls?" many times but now they are denying it completely. And they do not want to use to recorded conversations because it is for quality only... quality of what? Definitely not quality of customer service. I feel like a victim here, I was misinformed and misled by their practice. They sold me wrong plan and now I am stuck with huge bill and nobody is helping me. I am planning to change phone carriers now and warn people about their misleading practicing.

AT&T tells you it will pay your termination fee but it will not. When I switched over I traded in my 18 month old iPhone for $130. They told me when I got my termination bill from Verizon to bring it in and they would give me a Visa gift card to cover the amount. When I got the bill and went to the store, they told me I had to file online. I filed online and was told I didn't qualify. I took the bill back to the store and showed him the email I'd received stating I didn't qualify. He said, "That is correct. Because your trade-in was more than the termination fee, you don't qualify." He said if my termination fee had been $400, I'd get $240. I told him that was ridiculous, not to mention, none of this was explained when I made the switch. He just said, "Yeah I guess," shrugged his shoulders and walked away. So people, don't believe them when they tell you about this great deal -- they lie.

We had been with AT&T for several years. I needed a new phone, but AT&T would not offer any discounts, so I had to go to another carrier. After cancelling, I received a bill for over $430. After contacting customer service, I learned that I had upgraded two of my phones 15 months prior to cancelling, so I owed $185 each for an early termination fee. That part is on me because I totally forgot that it had been less than two years. However, I was charged over $60 more in taxes and fees. So it ended up costing me over $400 to cancel two phones 9 months early.

I switched from Verizon to AT&T in January. I took advantage of the Switch Program and would return my 2 iPhone 6 phones and be reimbursed to sign up for AT&T Wireless. I was advised to use the box my new phones came in and use the USPS. I did this on 2/6/17. Long story short, AT&T claims to not have phones. After digging, I was able to locate my phones by tracking number to their Fort Worth Facility and verify that they received them on 2/9/17. I have been on hold, transferred, lied to and hung up on. Today, I was told that although the phones are in Texas at an AT&T facility, I won't be contacted back until at least March 22 to find out if they can transfer the phones to the Tennessee facility to be processed. Meanwhile, I have an $800 bill due for the phones to Verizon. I have a 45 day window to claim the reward and buy back. This has now passed.

I have discovered that this has happened to multiple people and usually involves a company Called Newgistics. Although, Newgistics actually provided me with the tracking number to locate my phones. This is a scam. They have my phones, I may never get them back and my account with Verizon will be placed in collection for the balance of the phones. I have the tracking info, the weight of the box and receipt from USPS, the IMEI numbers of both phones. AT&T will not do anything but extend the time it will take to review my case. I was able to locate all of this information myself. I am currently searching for the number to the Return Facility in Fort Worth to see if I can get the phones back. Any help would be appreciated.

I was with another telephone company for more than 20 years. One day a AT&T sales person call my house offering a bundle, that for me was really good. Thinking in save some many I accept the deal. Bad idea. At first I was really happy with the idea specially cause they promised to keep my same phone number. They took 10 days to install the service. When I tried to back it off and cancel the order they told me that if I take the order away I would be paying the fine for canceling before the contract expires??? I was pretty mad. Now I had to be with them no matter what. My phone number was changed. When I call them about that, they promise to fix that make me wait for two hours and nothing happen. That was the 4th call to try to fix the problem.

They big liars. They pretend to help, pretending being managers, supervisors, or whoever person you need to talk to. They make promises they make up to fool you. Warning don't fall for them! They don't have a legal department and is the company that no matter how much you tried they get away with the malicious way they are working. Please let everyone know about this. We have to stop them or at least let people know. If anyone knows how to do something about it please let us know.

We purchased DirecTV through AT&T & later told if we switch cell plan over to them we save more money, get a free Samsung Galaxy & an iPad. Plan offered more gigs & so many extras for a little more than our current plan. SHOCK when 1st bill was almost $500. We've been to the store. 8 times called over to retail store on phone with 800 service down to almost the right amount. It's been a nightmare disputing charges & upgrades we never asked for. Will see what next month's bill looks like. Can't deal with a business that is so unethical, won't go on auto pay, can't be trusted!

When I was on vacation recently, my brand new iPhone 7 was stolen. I had my iPhone 7 about two weeks. I quickly followed the steps to get a new iPhone through my phone insurance. The process was frustrating! When you file a claim through the insurance you must print out the affidavit. Trying to find a place to print while traveling was very frustrating. Then I filled out the form only to find out the main account holder has to fill out the form. Then once all of that was done I received my iPhone only to find out I did not get a brand new iPhone but a refurbished one!!! I immediately could tell it was not brand new!!! I am frustrated I had to pay $225 for this refurbished phone and will continue to pay money each month for the next two years for the phone I originally purchased!!

I will be switching phone companies immediately after the two years is over!! They need to create a way that when your phone is lost you can go to an AT&T store, fill out the affidavit and get a new phone. When filing the insurance claim your phone bill is charged the deductible so you do not pay the insurance company directly so there has to be a way to just get a new phone at the AT&T store.

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with AT&T trying to figure out why the money that I paid on Saturday over the phone to pay off my iPhone contract was not paid and sitting in an account that I no longer have access to. This is my story. EVERYONE should stay away from AT&T. They are thieves. My family decided to switch to Sprint after our cell phone bill alone for 4 people was $250 versus $90 that we are now paying with Sprint. One line had an iPhone that was still under contract. Sprint advised that we would need to get it paid before we can use the phone with Sprint. We switched service on Friday. Saturday morning I try to unlock my phone but nothing happens, so I call AT&T customer service.

I speak to a friendly girl who tells me that in order to get the phone unlocked I will need to pay off the early termination fee for the iPhone ($165). She said I also have to pay for tax on the iPhone, and doing it over the phone would require a fee. She said that if I pay it today, that my account would show as being paid and that in 24 hours I would be able to submit a unlock request. So with that information, I paid the termination fee, tax, and fee for $197. I decided to check and unlock the iPhone this morning (Monday) - more than 24 hours after the account should have been cleared/paid off.

I get an error message stating that my phone is still locked because I am under contract. How can that be? I paid it off on Saturday and was charged a fee to get it done ASAP. I speak with a customer service rep who was very friendly (didn't get his name). He said that typically people call in and speak to the loyalty department who helps them pay off the phone/termination fee so that they can get the phone unlocked. He transferred me over - and that is where the frustration started.

I spoke to a guy named Ryan, who had ZERO idea of what to do. He kept saying the same things over and over again. I spent 1.5 hours with him, explaining the situation, him telling me "I am working with another customer support individual more senior than me" to fix this situation. I told him I need my phone unlocked today. It was supposed to be unlocked yesterday. I gave him the IME number, all the information in detail as to why I paid over the phone, etc. He kept saying he was "escalating" and "Escalating" but his final result after 1.5 hours was - "here is your case #. A manager will get back to you on March 15." That is in 2 days. I don't want to wait 2 days. I need this resolved NOW.

I was then transferred to a VERY rude supervisor named Jay **. I tried to explain to him the situation, and he kept talking over me, not listening to anything I was saying. I told him that the ONLY reason I paid the amount over the phone and incurred a fee was because I was told that the phone would be paid off on Saturday and I would be able to unlock it on Sunday. That is the only reason I would even pay a fee. He continued to tell me that the process is we have to wait until the end of the billing cycle.

Now tell me this - why do I have to wait for the end of a billing cycle if I have terminated my contract and services with AT&T? Shouldn't the billing cycle end on the last day of service? So that I can get the bill and pay it? Nope. Not with AT&T. You have to wait. So my billing cycle ends March 15. I brought up this scenario to showcase my point of how ridiculous this is: Say my billing cycle ended March 15. March 17th I ended service. I would have to wait until April 15 for a final bill, before I can get my phone unlocked. That is ridiculous. My cell phone is now hostage with AT&T. How is that even fair? I guess they really try to screw you if you leave them. And EVERYONE should leave them.

Now this is where things start getting into the "Theft" category. I paid $197 solely to get my phone paid on Saturday. I did not pay for it to get paid on Sunday, or Monday, or Tuesday. I paid it on Saturday to get it paid out on Saturday. I incurred a fee so I could pay it over the phone. Obviously, I wanted this paid off ASAP so that I could get my phone released. After speaking to Ryan and Jay for 2 hours, I uncovered some information: I cannot pay off my phone until the termination fee shows up on a final bill; the final bill gets sent after your billing cycle ends - no matter when you terminate service; I would have NEVER been able to pay off my termination fee prior to the final bill being generated; I have no account anymore because I cancelled service; my money was already processed and in AT&T's possession on Saturday.

My concerns are as follows: I only gave permission for my money $197 to be paid off on Saturday. I did not authorize my money be taken from me, so that it can sit in an account that I have ZERO ACCESS TO. Actually, I have no account, because my account ended. I have zero access to getting or logging into my account online - so I have no account. So why is my money taken from me and put into an account that I have no access to? Furthermore, why did my money get taken from me, and I am unable to be reimbursed for it? I asked that my money be refunded since I don't want it sitting in an account I don't ave access to. I was told they cannot do that because the money was already taken from me. So ladies and gentlemen, this is our situation.

AT&T has taken my money, put it in an account that I no longer have access to or even have, without my permission, and I am unable to get it back. I would say that is theft. I would say that I detrimentally relied on the information given to me by customer service so that I paid money. Only to not have it be put towards what I was told it would be, on the day it would be. And now I have no access to my account, and I cannot get my money back. So AT&T is holding my money, without my permission, and there is NOTHING that can be done about it until my billing cycle ends and they can apply my money in "my account" (even though I don't have an account) towards the final bill.

STAY AWAY. I am also emailing AT&T so that I can get to speak to someone with some sort of authority. When the supervisor tells you "if I listen to you we won't reach a resolution"- yea, I'm not going to let that go. Customer Service is supposed to make you feel appreciated as a customer, not treated like you are a piece of **. I would also like to know where my money is sitting. If they are depositing it in an account with other money in it, they are making money off the money that they took from me in the form of interest. This is something I will need to research.

Once I was experiencing a lots of weak signal from AT&T, I decided to change a different carrier and request to unlock my phone on their website. Since it's fully paid for, the first time I did the request on their website, I received a confirmation email that the request is in process. Few days later I called customer service and ask what the status was but the person I spoke to told me to call the next day because she can't able to locate that request number. So, I waited 2 days and the phone still NOT unlock, I called customer service again and the person I spoke with told me that, I have to call back because he can't find that request number. After explaining that I had told the same thing the last time I called and asked for a manager to speak to and manager told their website is giving them a lots of problems and he has to do a NEW request again.

I wasn't happy but I said okay and he gave me a new request number. Few days later the phone still NOT unlock, then call them back again. Spoke with a different department that supposed to see what's going on, after looked up the new request number, she told me, "It's showing error for the request" and she e-mailed whoever bundling the situation and will call me back the next day. As no one called me back 2 days later I called back and request to speak with the manager again, but week later, the manager is telling me I have to wait 2 more days and call back if it's not unlock by then...

I paid my phone the day I bought it, and all I'm asking is, my phone to be unlock. It's going 2 weeks since the request and they all tell me I can't return it because it's past 14 days then they not unlocking the phone because whatever reason they have. It's so frustrating, and I will NEVER EVER buy anything they offer and please DO NOT get too off by this company as I did, there's a better carrier out there who has a better service and very reasonable price. DON'T let their big name fool you, stay away from AT&T!!!

I am currently a GoPhone user and I was trying to setup a new account for my Mother and Sister under Postpaid on February 23rd, 2017. I filled out an online order, as I work for a company that gives discounts on personal plans, online is the only way to get the discount. I choose to pick up my new phones at a local AT&T store so I can have them in hand as soon as possible. The order was completed with a downpayment of $545 and was confirmed on the same day by bank. I then went to said store and the salesmen informed me that the system that handles online orders for their store was down, so it'd be easiest to just cancel the order and start over. I had mentioned that I already paid a down payment and didn't want to have to pay another one. He informed me that it was just a temporary charge and would fall off my account in a few days. (I did happen to make another order, just not with AT&T.)

On February 28th I checked my account and saw that the payment of $545 was processed and posted to my account. I then called AT&T and was right away sent to the pre-paid department, who told me to call the postpaid department. The first time I called I was hung up on, the second time the representative told me that since the order was cancelled I would have to talk to the refund department. I spoke to them, and they were asking me if I wanted a refund on my monthly service instead of an order, then was told because I was calling from an already activate AT&T number, the system will only let them look up my account under prepaid, and was told to try the online orders department. After waiting on hold for 30 minutes I was informed that their systems were down and would have to try back in a few hours. After no success I decided to give up for the day.

On March 8th I finally had enough of waiting for my money to be returned back to me and called online orders again. After the first 2 times of being redirected to prepaid, I decided to use a payphone down the street. After the first attempted call was dropped, I finally spoke to Jazmin. She informed me that the order was completely cancelled to the point where she couldn't even bring up any info besides the fact it was cancelled. I mentioned about the missing downpayment and she suggested I call my bank, since the payment was sent back, and should have been credited back, and that I should file a dispute if it's still missing. My bank told me nothing was pending. I gave in and started the dispute process. The bank informed me that no transactions were trying to come through, so I filed a dispute on March 9th, 2017 and am still awaiting for the results of the investigation.

I am very much late on my rent as half of it is still missing from my account, and AT&T has been very unsympathetic about this matter at all, not even apologizing for the amount of times I have had to call. AT&T wireless was very quick to take my hard earned money, they are still holding on to it for no reason. I am at the mercy of my bank, as I am one of those workers that gets paid only once a month. The stress of having to deal with this has kept me up multiple nights, the anxiety and fear of getting evicted as I try to pull myself out of this financial hole AT&T has helped me dig.

AT&T has failed in many ways while my husband and I were customers. I have recently moved and wanted to install services at the new place, the company doesn't serve my area! BLAHHHH! That's already making the customer have inconvenience by cancelling and looking for a new company. Contacted customer service to cancel services since they couldn't serve my area. Service was never cancelled. I happened to log into my phone app to make my last payment, and I still being charged if I was living in the apartment. BLAHHHH! How can someone miss somebody's request for cancellation? It is also my fault for not asking for a cancellation email! Trusting people in good faith.

Waited 1 hour and half to be able to speak to a manager. Reason why I requested a manager, nobody was able to tell me how much my last bill would be. Not even the manager. How come? Are you serious? A company that you need to wait 30++ days to have your final bill and be able to pay?? I have never heard that in my entire life! I had to request compensation to a manager, which has not been done! Even though they have put us through so much stress by waiting in line, waiting for the bill, not serving our area, we did not get anything in return!

Contacted AT&T today to inquire about the equipment and make sure everything we have returned they have records of it. Customer service agent could not tell me if we have anything from them. Then, told me we have a modem from Motorola. Could not provide me serial#. I informed agent, my previous apartment comes with the AT&T box installed inside the closet, agent could not take action to assist me. I had to call the condo, with agent in the line, so she can hear from one of the receptionists that we do have a box installed in the apartment. Since receptionist wasn't able to confirm if modem is there because the apartment is currently occupied, AT&T customer hang up, never called back.

Condo provided a phone number to a customer service representative from AT&T that handles the equipment installed in the apartments. Representative answered me with a text message "Hi I'm finishing a call with a customer, but I am able to text. I can attempt to assist you that way until I am able to call". I texted back my concern and I am still waiting. That was today 1:57 pm, now it is 9:22 pm.

Can my experience be any better? I will be waiting for a manager to contact me in regards to the modem that they are trying to claim that I have received, but are unable to confirm and provide me a serial #! I WILL NEVER IN MY LIFE DO BUSINESS WITH AT&T AGAIN AND WILL NEVER RECOMMEND IT EITHER! Please get your stuff together people. You make so much money off of customers, why can't you invest some in training your customer service reps? No wonder your reviews are horrible! Let's see if this review will get somewhere or will just be sitting in here!

I am convinced, as I am sure that many others are, that AT&T is scamming people for billing purposes. For instance, once I have used 75% of my data, all of the sudden my wifi no longer works where it normally does. Then, when I switched to a plan that didn't charge for overages, I suddenly began getting "$5" automatic charges on my bill that give ZERO explanation. Before changing to this plan, I would get a 90% data usage alert, then not use my data for two days, and then get a text saying I've gone over my data and was being charged $15 TWO MINUTES before midnight on the date that my billing cycle restarted. To say that this is coincidental would be far-fetched, and everyone should take notice of this.

I have been an AT&T customer for 10 years as well as a U-verse Bundle customer for several years as well. I had gotten so frustrated with the poor customer service that I switched to Verizon as a cellular provider. I switched over my number to Verizon thinking that was the end of it. Three weeks later I received a bill from AT&T which I thought was a mistake. Come to find out I was still being billed for 2 lines on my AT&T contract that were not cancelled. Since I have been with them for so long I did not know I had to call to cancel the entire contract. With that said I understand that I still had 2 lines on the account, the issue I am having is neither of them were used. Not in the 3 weeks after I switched providers, nor were they used for 2 YEARS PRIOR to cancelling.

I called AT&T on Sunday the 26th, was on the phone for over 2 hours, mostly on hold while being transferred all over the place. Finally I was told they would have a manager call me back in 72 hours. No such call ever came. So, I called back in today, Friday, and once again was on hold for over an hour to be told, "Nothing can be done." I am now being told suck it up and pay $125 when they weren't even used. The entire reason I dropped them in the first place was poor customer service, they just keep proving I made the right choice.

Now I will look into new cable and internet providers as well before we end up with another issue AT&T "unfortunately" can't do anything about. I also tried to leave a review for AT&T only to find out they don't have that option. Seems to me like they keep people from being able to leave reviews on their website so customers can't see how poor their service is until they are trapped in a contract. Do your research people, AT&T isn't what it used to be. FIND A DIFFERENT COMPANY!

A couple of years ago I purchased a cell phone and service. The salesperson told me that they were running a special at that time and that because I bought a Samsung phone I was entitled to a free tablet. I told the salesperson that I had no need for a tablet. The salesperson said I might as well take it. It was free. I restated that I had no use for it. The salesperson said I could always give it to someone. I finally said "well I guess if it is free I can take it."

What I found out was that it was not free. I was being charged a monthly service fee. I called and complained. They told me that the tablet was free. I told them I was not told that I was going to have to pay for the free tablet and I wanted to return it. They informed me I would be charged a several hundred dollar cancellation fee. I called again today and they are telling me I still need to pay for another 4 months or pay a $70 cancellation fee. I have now paid for over 2 years for the free tablet I have never used. This should be illegal. It was extremely deceptive to tell me that I might as well take it. It is free.

Worst customer service store and online. Sorry to tell you that. AT&T is worst in selling their product. When we other country people goes to AT&T store they never tell us or advertise us their International calling plan and that guy calls his homeland like a normal call from his phone which result in huge bill and that foreigner coming here on deputation for saving some money looted by you and your fool company. Today also when I had to move from postpaid to prepaid I was in urgent need to activate international plan but I didn't get help from Hicksville, NY store or online chat. I ended up taking my roommate's phone to call my home.

Can't port a phone number because it's AT&T. If it was from Verizon no problem. Then can't move over installments from a phone purchased a week ago if the line is added as a new line. Only solution is to have two lines and pay separate line charges if I want to port over a number. RIDICULOUS! Worst customer service. The "supervisor" couldn't care less.

For many years I had Cable One until they started cutting channels, raising prices, and having feeble replacement channels if they did it at all. Having very few options for a replacement provider I went with the lesser of two evils AT&T which in the beginning seemed great, great channels, good internet speed and while I still hate wireless I was happy. It was a one year contract and I was told that usually on renewal my cost would only go up $20 which is still cheaper than Cable One's basic package. Of course they lied, so I downgraded my package which dropped my cost but it also limited my channels and internet speed.

In 2016 when my contract was about to expire, AT&T was once again at my door with new and exciting options for me to choose. I looked at what they had, voiced my grievances with their product, and asked many questions, but of course they are trained well and my doubt was whittled down. But they got to the part about putting a dish on my roof. It seems they bought out DirecTV which is how they were able to give such a good deal. I hate dishes more than I do wireless so I almost backed out but once again limited options. I now have one of those ugly dishes on my roof, slow internet and God forbid a foggy day come through because then I have nothing. I can only pray that one day fiber optics finds its way down here. I would not recommend AT&T or AT&T/Direct at all.

I called a couple of months ago to get DirecTV and got my quote and ready for install when they changed their pricing on me and upped my monthly amount from what they told me on the phone several times. I cancelled just in time. I called to get my quoted price and they said because I was already an AT&T customer they couldn't honor the quote. I told them they knew that on the phone and they could listen to the recording. They did not honor. Forward to now... I tried again - quoted a price and today- ON THE DAY OF INSTALL- they send me an email - AGAIN - upping my monthly cost by $40.00. I cancelled and again - they said that is the price. I am so done with them. I will be cancelling my phone and internet with them over this. MISQUOTED ME TWO TIMES! I now have a complaint into the FTC. We will see what happens next!!

My husband and I went to a local AT&T store to upgrade our phones through Next program in Nov. 2016. We indicated we were not interested in any 2-year contracts upfront. We upgraded to 2 Samsung 7 phones and were offered a free docking station and 99 cent watch. We agreed to both. Then they said they couldn't do the docking station. Then the trade-in value on my husband phone was less. Then they couldn't get a receipt for the purchases to print and no manager could take the time to help. He promised we would receive an email with the purchase order because we're on file as customers. We were told we had 14 days to return any item. I never received a purchase order via email.

In the store, I never saw a 2-yr contract for a watch nor did I sign anything that appeared as one. Never in the sale did anyone mention restocking fees, contracts, data fees on watch etc. The watch was clunky and my NEW phone takes 5 hrs to charge to 100%. I returned both and wanted but only wanted to exchange the phone for a new one (same model). My husband purchased same phone and it charges fine; I feel mine is defective. We returned to the store to return the items 3 days after purchase. We were told for the first time that there'd be restocking fees for both the watch and the phone even within the 14 day period and that there was a two year contract on the watch. No manager could see us. I took his card and was promised a call back by the salesperson AND the manager. Never happened after waiting two weeks.

I called AT&T multiple times about the misrepresentation regarding the purchase, especially the watch. I was finally sent a tracking number label which I immediately printed and returned the watch in late November. I received an email with tracking number and was told to wait a few weeks for my refund on the purchase of the watch and any monthly fees associated with it. I was told the watch would be removed from my account. I called AT&T in January 2017 when my bill still had the phone listed. They said they had no record of a return. I said I had the tracking number to prove it which I gave her. The tracking number showed that the watch had been delivered to a warehouse in TX. She said she removed the watch from my account and a refund was on the way.

When I gave a bad internal review of AT&T a man called and I explained the entire story. I asked why nobody was concerned about the store that mis-represented the sale. I told him I feel AT&T is systematically doing this to its customers. He too promised to follow through on the refund, to file a complaint about the store. He indicated he could see my conversation on the system with the woman who helped me resolve the issue. In February 2017 I received another WRONG bill and still no refund. I called again. The man on the phone indicated that his records have no details of my last call or that I proved any tracking number showed that the watch had shown up at a warehouse. He indicated that there wouldn't be a refund of any kind or a break in the contract until I did show proof that I returned it.

In the meantime, my email has purged all November emails including the tracking number email. Also - I have no copies of phone conversations which I feel should have been emailed to me after each call to AT&T. Also - the email of the original purchase in November was never sent to me or printed for me in the store. The only thing I do have from this purchase fiasco is an email on Nov. 22nd asking me to provide a review of my purchases. The email doesn't even ask for a review of the watch, just the two phones. There's no proof I purchased the phones or watch, no proof I returned the watch, and my bill each month indicates that I don't even use the damn thing (again, because I don't even have it).

On the AT&T website under myatt there is no purchase history section of the site for me to obtain a copy of the original purchase. Never mind the fact that it still takes an average of 3-4 hours for my brand new phone to charge. What recourse do I have to remove this watch/bills from my life? I want to ditch AT&T altogether for such bad practices. How can I do this if I'm under contract? There should be a clause which allows someone to switch to another carrier if they swindle the customer. How can AT&T continue to get away with these things? There is a pattern of bad behavior here from the sales floor to billing to customer complaints department to the warehouse.

100% agreed. I was a faithful customer for over 12 years and then I moved. Didn't offer service in my new home but harassed me with literally tens of phone calls. I kept my wireless service up until recently and switched to Sprint because it was literally one-third what AT&T was charging me. They still haven't released my phone and ultimately I had to spend $600 to buy a new one. After about 20 phone calls and multiple attempts online to get them to unlock my old phone (which has been paid off for over a year), they still won't release it and are basically holding it hostage. Horrible horrible company. With their over inflated prices and their deceitful tactics, I will NEVER do business with them again. No wonder there is a mass exodus! I've given up and hope they go out of business.

I canceled my account with AT&T/DirecTV back in December 2016, since then I have received 2 separate bills one from DirecTV (which has been paid in full). The AT&T bill is still trying to charge me for the "DirecTV portion" and every time I contact them they send me to another department! This company has lied to me about specific things trying to get me to not cancel my account with them. When we received the bill it wasn't correct and we decided to cancel the account. We even was provided verification # that we were receiving a discount due to us being inconvenienced by them and they denied everything as well as not having the confirmation # on file.

I even had a witness verifying confirming the discount they offered us to "keep our business"! This company is a disgrace and I would never recommend them to anyone. At the present moment I am trying to resolve the bill and still getting a runaround being transferred to different accounts. There should be laws protecting us the customer from big companies like this and trying to railroad people and losing to them.

AT&T has been the worst experience of my life... After paying hundreds of dollar I am still stuck with them. They switched my service from landline to voice over IP without informing me. Since then, either my phones lines doesn't work or my credit card terminal is down. I have called them at least 20 times.. and after spending hundreds of $$, no one ever helps me. I hope someone gives proper attention to this message and stop them from ripping off people.

I purchase a new iPhone 7 plus along with the DIRECTV access bundle that was advertised on tv. The salesman said I could add an iPad for an extra $10 per month. I was also informed I had 14 days grace period/refund window if I wasn't satisfied. Unfortunately, I could not get AT&T cell service at my house so I returned all the devices on 1/22/2017 (which was in the 14-day return window). I was told that I couldn't cancel the service at the store where I started it at and was told to an 800 number or go to another store which was farther away. I called the 800 number when I got home and they refused to cancel the service over the phone and directed to go to the store directly where I bought it. When I hung up with them I called the other AT&T store and they told me I had to come into their store in person to cancel. I pointed out that I live far away and that I feel like I'm getting the runaround.

The following day would be 15 days and then they would charge me a huge cancellation fee. Spoke to both Camila and Marie (store managers) and agreed to let me come in the next day. They were both rude and incorporative but agreed to cancel the service and would send out bill for the 14 days of service only since I already paid the restocking $45 on both devices. Received bill for $187.92.

Called 800 number to inquire about the huge charge and they said I had to pay for the whole month even though I only had it for 2 weeks. I'm being charge from 1/13/17-2/12/17. Reminder everything was cancel and return on 1/22/17. I asked for a itemized statement printout (Ashas 800 # cust.rep) informed me they don't give thoughts out but I informed her it was the law so she recently said she would see what she could do (VERY RUDE). On the first billing statement, I had a $5.00 late fee already included(?). They do not honor their "no hassle refund policies", refuse to cancel service when requested, rude and trying to extort money for services not rendered.

I have been having problem with this company since I decided to switch from their Gophone to post paid wireless phone service. My patience has wane off when when I was promised by a supervisor but just two days ago, it never happened and they charged me with a change of service. And just today, after chatting with two more supervisors, the first one to ask the reason for the full charges, and the other one to double check if the suspension was finally backdated, I was given two different answers.

So in summary, the supervisor Ivy suggested that we suspend my account, promised me that I will not be charged more than $10 per month. But a month after, supervisor King ** said it was never suspended at all due to technical glitch thus the charge of over $200. While supervisor Cristian said the suspension request never materialize at all because it was declined by the higher management. So we will just have to suffer paying for two separate accounts for one phone device. Yes, I was given two different phone numbers on two separate account on one device. That ridiculous and the charges have gone over $200 per month.

This company is full of lies and deceits. Resolution for them is promising you something that is not done at all because it was out of their business practice. Point in case, the suggestion came from them but they said it is out of their business practice. Get your money somewhere else. Or see it for yourself and try this company. Maybe you will have a better to stay to tell. Good luck!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.
  • Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.
  • Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.
  • Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.
  • Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.
  • Best for AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Compare Prepaid Phones