3.8/5 (748 ratings)

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

Pros

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

Cons

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to giv...

Verified

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to st...

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
  • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
  • Nurses
  • Physicians
  • Military
  • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
  • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
  • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
Who owns AT&T Wireless?
AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

AT&T Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

Original review: June 4, 2022

Yesterday I wrote a scathing review about T-Mobile. And when they texted to ask for a rating I gave them all zeroes. They called me today, I suppose, to rectify the matter. I should have known better. I have an internet account with AT&T so i gave them a call and asked if they would like to add wireless to the current account. I don’t mean to sound prejudiced, but even today, while I spoke to two of T-Mobile’s “Indian Experts”, I needed to ask them to repeat themselves and speak slowly several times. And when I asked for details, I really believe they did not have enough American English language skills to reply. Can you believe that the person who answered my call is a Bona-Fide American? YES! Her name was ASHLEY. She was totally wonderful. It took time to go through it all, but she was a real Champ. She knew her job inside and out and was totally professional, patient, and resourceful.

When I spoke with T-Mobile the “Indian Expert” did a credit check and told me I failed. I happen to have a “Very Good” credit rating, so that was the last straw. Ashley checked my credit and within minutes she was transferring my phone number and everything else to my AT&T account. So, I think Ashley should get a raise and I can say AT&T is the BEST! Plus, my bill is less too!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I switched from sprint to AT&T in 2012 been with them ever since. I added home internet service in 2020 which I’m also very satisfied with. Both my wireless and internet service are fast, reliable, affordable, account management everything from bill pay, upgrading, changing plans, are simple and convenient. Customer service is excellent, sales, technical support... I honestly never once had a bad experience with a customer service rep. They’re 100% helpful, friendly, reliable, knowledgeable, go above and beyond to give me whatever I need. That says a lot Coming from someone who’s called customer service A LOT for all types of situations over the years, several being out of the ordinary and difficult to figure out. This is also coming from someone who’s Had wireless and internet with many other companies. I doubt I will ever switch to another company. And I highly recommend AT&T to anyone who needs fast reliable affordable service.

Sincerely

Lisa M

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

WE have been members with this company for 5+ years and have never had a problem with them. Always on time with our bills, but if we need to miss a month we aren’t penalized for missing a month Which makes this service even better.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

Hi. I love AT&T service ever since, but now I got $4000 phone bill. I haven’t paid yet since started on pandemic cuz I’m struggling financial hardship. I wish you have a program for me to keep my account active.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

We switched from another carrier due to high bills and bad customer service. When we started with AT&T, we notice no dropped calls, better customer service and easier bills to understand. The plans were much cheaper than our previous provider. We got some additional incentives for being military, and we sure do appreciate the recognizing our military. I’m not sure if we’ll upgrade anything but I’m glad we’re with this company. Thanks for great service. Keep up the good work.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Moved 8 phone lines over, well still trying to move them over. Would never do this again. Feel totally misled by the sales rep. 100 % lied to by the sales rep, Can't properly describe the disgust I feel with this company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Been with AT&T for over a decade. They used to be a good company but not anymore. One thing is for certain, you will pay much more than they tell you you'll pay. They are very crafty on how they do it. They provide "promotions" that will lock you into a particular amount of time and/or product. The bill they say you will pay seems reasonable, maybe even cheap compared to the service you are getting. The first few months, they explain, will be a little higher until the promotion rate kicks in. This is a strategy called "conditioning". They are conditioning you to realize your plan really costs that much. So when the promotion kicks in, you are relieved to be paying the amount you expected from the beginning. Everything is fine for a while (12-18 months). Then promotions start wearing off. Overnight your bill can jump astronomically.

For me, I have 5 lines for my entire family. Each line was given a loyalty promotion of $10 - $15 dollars off. This is a promotion that AT&T use to make the plan affordable. This loyalty program is designed to make the plan affordable at the beginning and then after you are well into your contract/installment plan, the loyalty program expires. Now, your plan goes up $50-$75 dollars a month, every month. So now you're paying a lot more for the same product. But there is good news, if you renew, they can offer you the loyalty plan again on a new contract. Starting the cycle all over again. The only way out, pay the extra $50-$75 a month for the next 6-12 months or pay a one time buyout of $200- $450. It's a great system if you own stock in AT&T but not if you are a customer.

To summarize, their loyalty program just means that you will have to be loyal to them or pay hefty for your freedom. Just sad really, there was a time that I used to praise AT&T. I believed they were the best. Even convinced my wife and her extended family to switch. Most have since paid their way out but we stuck around until AT&T pulled another bait and switch. We are now officially looking (for another option) and willing to pay most anything to stop the bleeding here with AT&T. I miss the good old days when AT&T was a customer centered business.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I have been a customer of AT&T for decades - and I also have a good portion of stock in this company I have been invested in. I am completely disappointed and frustrated with the experience I have had with AT&T in the last few months. I went in and traded my iPhone in for a new phone. While I was at the store, the salesperson talked me into switching my plan to their new "unlimited" plan. It has been a nightmare since. The amount I was told I would pay is not what I pay now - I pay MUCH more. I tried to return the new phone and end my business - but the store had already sent my phone out - despite it being against company policy. After much frustration and hours of talking with both store and agents on the 611 AT&T "customer service" line - they claimed to have solved the problem and quoted me (again) a fair cost. Yet, when it came time for the bill - it was (again) way over what I was told.

This has gone on and on - with a new excuse each time. Their phone agents tell me not to trust that the store employees know what they are talking about - and the store employees tell me not to trust what the phone agents tell me. At this point, I agree with both of them - as neither seem to get things right. Recently, I dropped my plan down several notches - as I was told that was the only way I could get the rate I was promised originally (at their store) - the reason I was given was that the store employee that quoted me the price did not know what he was doing. But - AT&T does not honor their deals apparently if their agents promise incorrect pricing. Next, I was told I could get a "Teacher Appreciation" discount now. I have been a teacher for more than two decades in the second largest district in our state. The phone agent that set this up said I had to go to an AT&T store to upload my teaching badge to keep the deal.

I drove up to a nearby store to do this. The store told me they could not upload my badge because of the way the phone agent set it up in the system. I called the AT&T 611 number - while at the store - and the store employee and I spent almost an hour trying to simply upload my badge and finalize the "appreciation" discount with the phone agent. The agent on the phone clearly struggled with English - which both the store employee and I noticed. I now ask the AT&T phone agents to send me e-mail confirmations while I am still on the phone with them - as they consistently give me misinformation, wrong prices - and before when I asked them to please be sure items were noted in my file (and was told they were) - the next time I called the new agent claimed nothing was recorded.

Anyhow, when I got the e-mail at the store - I noticed immediately that the name of my school district was completely wrong. Both the store employee helping me and I attempted multiple times to have the phone agent find/fix the name of the school. I was never sent confirmation that it was fixed - but was told by both the store employee (that did his best I must say) and the phone agent that it was all set and no need to worry about the wrong name. Well, I got an e-mail a day or so later saying that my teaching badge didn't match the school name and therefore my "appreciation" discount could not be verified - with a link to upload my badge again. I tried calling 611 (AT&T) to explain this (tonight) - but the agent said their system was down and he could not access my account.

Instead of uploading my badge (again) - I uploaded a PDF with a plea for someone, just one competent employee in this business - to please note the actual spelling of my school district (shared many, many, many times with both the store employee - who graduated from the district and was working in a store located within the boundaries of the district - and the phone agent that struggled to fluently communicate). I included the full title of my employer (school district) - again. I have less than 1% confidence anything will be done correctly by this company.

I will likely sell my holdings in the company (I have it in my retirement account as it paid a nice dividend) and, as soon as I am able (they locked me into a new plan which I'm stuck with until the new phone is paid off - since they "accidentally" got rid of my trade in before it was supposed to be removed from the store) will move my business to a better provider. Bottom line - if you are not a cell customer with AT&T - I advise you STRONGLY consider this tale before signing up with them. If this is how they treat a customer of decades - imagine how they just might treat you as a new customer...

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I don't even know where to start. This company is a joke. They make promises they can't keep. They change your plan without informing you. They can't get your bill right. EVER! I have only been with AT&T for 6 months and I have to call them at least 3 times a month take the correct something on my bill. I have had to file two warranty claims because of faulty phones. When I filed the claims I was told I would rather new phones within 24 to 48 hours of the phone call. One phone took 6 days to get to me. On day 4 I was told by a technical support manager that I can track down the phone, find the UPS truck and go get the phone myself two states away. Now today I'm dealing with the same issue, today is day 2 and the phone hasn't even been shipped, after I paid the extra money to make sure I received it within 24 to 48 hours. As of right now, they are telling me they can't do anything to help me. Date of experience: November 08, 2022.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Was told they had 5G in my area and even confirmed on their map that they had it in my area. Turns out that they plan to have it because when I connected my 13 Pro Max to their service there was zero 5G in my area. Tried to cancel service and they lost my trade in phone and I was told to pound sand. Do not fall for their gimmicks, they are not as good as Verizon. Stay away from AT&T.

AT&T Wireless Company Information