AT&T Wireless

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been trying to resolve the same billing dispute since January 2017. I have disconnected, put on hold to be transferred again. The unified billing is completely separate and apparently has no direct number. No one seems to know how to get a call to the unified team without disconnecting the call or sending it back to the automated system, only to start all over again. ATT changed their service area which dropped my house. When I was forced to change providers, they insist on charging my $1500 in early termination fees which I was told would not apply due to them dropping me. That was 6 months ago.

AT&T is a great company and is the best for service out in our rural area. However, they are expensive. Also, I've spent countless hours working with customer service trying to fix our internet issues. I usually spend an average of at least an hour on the phone getting passed around and having to explain every time what the issue is. Very frustrating!!! However, the customer service agents I have dealt with have all been friendly and have done their best to try and solve the problem. I have done away with the hotspot internet, so hopefully the problem has been solved.

Good customer service via telephone but so so if you walk into a store. Lot of the reps have no idea about handling customers. I would prefer and always do my business on phone and avoid walking to stores. They need to have better Customer Service Reps at the stores.

Been with them for 17 yrs. Yes! I like them! I don't have hardly any problems and when I did, it was resolved professionally. It's hard to understand the call centers that are in another country. I also find them ruder than Americans. Nevertheless, I love the service and will continue to do business with them.

I thought I had cleared up a problem with my AT&T phone bill involving incorrect charges. I was told by an AT&T representative that the charges were "dropped". This was again verified by another AT&T agent via phone, when I called a few days later to double check (because the bill had not posted yet). But, when the bill posted a week later, the incorrect charges were still there.

When I called to clear this up AGAIN, the supervisor told me that there were no notations on my account that the charges had been reduced, and she refused to change anything on the current bill. I asked her to listen to the previous phone calls that I had made (during which their representatives had assured me that there would be no charges in addition to by usual monthly bill) - Which I was told had been recorded. She said she had no access to these previous calls, and that AT&T is so big that she would have no way of contacting these other representatives who had told me this. Over $100 in incorrect charges have stayed on my bill. I am shocked that I have been treated this way by AT&T, After having been a customer for over 10 years!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

I've had no choice to have service with this WORTHLESS COMPANY for 5 years now!!! We just changed out our modem for the 3-4 time and it's worse than ever! Because we cannot get Wi-Fi service our Verizon bill has been $450+. We have complained constantly but when they come out surprisingly they get a perfect signal!! I have this automatically withdrawn from my checking account monthly!! I've been ripped off for the past 5 years so I'm seeing a lawyer tomorrow! I have no other company to change to and they know this so they do NOTHING!!! I'm sick of being overcharged for NO SERVICE and being overcharged on my Verizon bill because my family of 5 have no wi-fi!!! Lawsuit coming your way!! Anyone who reads this should do the same!! AT&T is just ripping all of us off!

I moved 4 miles away within same city. I have AT&T mobile, DirecTV, internet and home phone. I was promised the same phone and still don't have service. First they messed up the DirecTV order and I did not have TV for 1 month. They tried to get me U-verse TV with a bundled pkg. It more than 5 tries and countless hours between to AT&T sales, technical, DirecTV and their call centers answering the same thing many many times to get the DirecTV resolved. I went to a manager or a manager to get that resolved.

It's June 6 today and I am now calling AT&T for more the 10th time now, more than 15 hours later still tying to get my phone # I have had for 15 + years with AT&T within the same areas code to my new address. No one person understand and is able to help. The worst service possible due to this bundling and not worth the frustration I have endured. Orders are set up, I get an email that it was closed and completed but no new phone #. I have escalated to managers and I am hoping someone at a higher power will call me to try and resolve this... I need to replace my temporary # with ** which is my old # which is now disconnected.

I order my AT&T + DirecTV bundle for 80$ per months for 2 year contract. After that is 115$. On 5/23 and on 5/25 they turn off my internet, instead of upgrade they disconnect and reconnect my internet and charge me the activation free. Now my bill monthly is 115 instead of 80$ like they promise. I talk with 8 peoples include 3 supervisor, every time I talk with them is always different story, they even said they install my bundle on 5/30, but original day is 5/24 for install directive only (my original is internet+ U-verse). I call them said "If your guy not fulfill your promise then I want to cancel and put back my original packet", they charged me early termination fee. AT&T is like to is the lie to their customer, they need to investigate. Will switching this service. I wish I can give them a 0 star for this.

I've kept my service with the leader in cellular service in my city, for over 16 yrs. Excellent equipment and fare rates. I have great service, prompt, courteous customer service always willing to hear my needs and opinions. Love the marketing division too!!

I moved and cancelled my service, home phone, internet, DirecTV and three cell phone lines. I had my accounts direct billed to my credit card. I was overbilled by all the accounts for $394.26. I have been trying to get a refund since the middle of March, it is now June 5, 2017. It took 5 calls to be the box to return the DirecTV equipment. I was on chat 10 times and the last time for 2 hours. I sent an email to the customer service VP and did get a call with a promise I would have the money sent in 3 business days. I have not received it to date. Just called DirecTV again as they keep sending me bills, they can't help me after being shifted around to three agents. I refuse to call them customer service as they are not service by any imagination. I also went to two local ATT stores but was not helped and treated given rude treatment.

The other problem cost me two new iPhones. ATT locks your iPhones even though they are an Apple product. I WAS NEVER TOLD THE PHONES COULD ONLY BE USED WITH ATT SERVICE. I tried to get them unlocked, first by going to a store, no help, then I called, after talking to three people I was told by a supervisor that the phones were unlocked. I returned to Verizon and they said neither phone was unlocked. My granddaughter had to return to school the next day and I had no service with ATT on the landline or the cell at my new home so I PURCHASED TWO NEW APPLE IPHONES, it cost me over $1000.

I had just purchased a phone from ATT 6 months before so I now have 4 iPhones and only need two. We also tried to go online to unlock the phones, I was emailed directions but it did not work. After I connected with Verizon with the new phones I again tried and was told at the local ATT store that one is unlocked. The second phone still is locked.

Impossible to get funds returned if you are overcharged once you cancel with ATT and DirecTV. Even though they do not have service in the area I moved to they are not cooperating. ATT should not be able to lock the phones you purchase with them as they are not ATT phones. They are an Apple product. No full disclosure from ATT that the phones only work with their service. Terrible customer service. I heard the there is a law that they cannot lock the phones for just their service. If this is true they are also breaking the law. I would love to know and contact FCC. HOW DO I FILE A COMPLAINT WITH CONSUMER AFFAIRS??

I have been on the phone with these idiots every month since I first bought the phone about my billing date. The day I bought it, I told them I needed it a certain day every month and they told me that was fine and my first bill would be on that date. My bill since has gone up and down in price, never the same twice, I am getting what seems like two bills a month and they keep telling me it is the charge associated with changing my billing cycle which should have been long ago taken care of. This morning I actually had a supervisor named Bridget ** disconnect me because I was inquiring about how to get out of the contract for this phone. I am at the point I'm going to mail them my phone in pieces and take the credit hit for not paying the contract anymore.

My roommates and I discussed switching from Sprint to AT&T, so we went in to see what the pricing and sub would be. When we went in they told us we'd be able to get a discount through my roommate's work and that would make our bill about the same as what we were paying with Sprint so we decided to go ahead and go through with the switch. When we went in today to get the discount set up they told us that the discount isn't offered with the unlimited plan that we have, which is exactly the opposite of what they told us when we signed the contracts, because we never would have switched had we known that, and I think they knew that which is probably why they decided to lie to us while in the store. So when I talked to the person who we worked with on setting it up he just kept basically saying it wasn't his problem and to contact customer support. So I did, I called twice because the first lady hung up on me.

The second one told me I have to call the "national solution center". The fact that they even have a "national solution center" says they have a lot of problems that need solving that plain old customer support can't handle, that in itself says a lot about how they do business. Very poor customer service, it's all about the commission with these people. Very unsatisfied with this company and their employees, haven't gotten a hold of the "national solution center" as they've got regular hours and no one is there right now. Believe me if we weren't locked into a contract we would have closed our accounts today!

While the overall reliability of AT&T is virtually flawless, like most of today's wireless providers; it is difficult to "reach out and touch someone" via their very own connectivity and that can be ever so frustrating as a paying client. What I really want... I want every company to be as nice as Zappos and as available as Apple. So marry those two in a customer service sense and the ideal is born; companies everyone will be satisfied with. Companies who actually serve their customers, not simply take money and provide levels of service "because".

AT&T excels on their signal strength and diverse product offering. They have a very extensive network so when it comes to reliability, they have it covered. However, their customer service is mediocre. When there is an issue, as a customer your response is to stop by the store. Many times the reps are very cool and refer you to their 800 number quickly. 800 line tries to insinuate you are in the wrong with defective product failure. When they finally relent after keeping you on hold for a lengthy period, they want to nickel and dime the customer with random charges. By then you are so tired that you accept the charges just so you can get off the phone and back to your family's needs.

Their customer service needs major overhaul. Since they have the financial muscle to acquire regional small networks, there should be no reason why they nickel and dime customers with excess fees and sell product they know has manufacturer defects. If an employee admits that certain products have long standing defects, AT&T should not be charging to rectify situations.

I've contacted ATT multiple times regarding changing plan and every time they have failed to disclose all details of charges. The most recent change was to unlimited plan and even though it stated I would be getting my company discount of 19% I later called back and found this was not true.

I'm a customer (whole package) for several years. I've more than one instances in which they have lied to me. Offered packages that didn't exist and once the installation was completed, they told me the package didn't exist. Wireless service as well. They tell you one thing and when you call back no one knows what you are talking about. Offer things and don't deliver. They just plainly lie to the customer. Went to the Apple Store like they told me to do to exchange my phone and the parts on the phone were not Apple parts and the warranty was void. It's getting worse by the second. We are very unhappy customers. Switching companies soon. They fix all their mistakes, lies, and tricks win and I'm sorry.

I sincerely like the coverage that AT&T provides. I think the rates could be more competitive with some of the other companies. I have used other companies as well, but resort to my personal carrier being AT&T. I think the customer service department could use some training and be more helpful with our needs.

Purchased a new iPhone 7 during first week of new model in 2016 with promotion of buy one get one free. The deal was sign the contract and start getting paid back by AT&T in monthly $30 increments. I have never been paid one cent and they claim I never had such an offer. I will become a Verizon customer as soon as my contract is up. That's after being with AT&T for decades. I think my salesman pulled one on me and probably got a bonus.

I transferred my phone number from AT&T to my business phone service in Dec. 2016 and paid off my iPhone with the intention of giving it to my daughter for Xmas. Without warning, AT&T shut down my cellular service and locked my phone even though everything was paid up. I have called customer service more than a dozen times and get nothing but a run-a-round, transferred to offices that are closed or "accidentally" hung up on. The latest painful evening was supplied to me by Amanda ** who transferred me to a closed office and Mydee ** who sent another unlock request to some website that will respond with something like "kindly go jump in a lake". I intend to keep calling and posting names until AT&T unlocks the phone I paid $600 or reimburses me for the cost. I have been a loyal customer for over 30 years, but am now convinced that AT&T is the worst kind of evil.

In spite of so many major complaints, I've never really had big problems with AT&T call and customer service. AT&T is a decent company with fair rates. It really depends on the services you have as to what you pay.

AT&T is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their switcher program for cell phones is a scam. They tell you they will buy your current phone for what you owe on it and when you finally get your money it is not the amount the salesperson told you that you would receive. If you go to the store to try and get an explanation they tell you that you misunderstood what they told you. I had to call the corporate office to finally get the money I was owed. I also am using over 2 gigs of data since switching to AT&T yet I never used over 1/2 of a gig with any other cell phone company. When I do reach 2 gigs my high speed data slows down so much that I don't want to use my phone until the next billing cycle.

Their U-verse TV service is also bad. It drops the signal multiple times a day. If you wish to receive a paper bill it is impossible to get one. They want you to pay online. This may be fine with most people but I don't use the computer because I am disabled and it is very difficult for me to sit or use my hands. I have had to call every month to request a bill and because of this my bill is always late. I have never had a late payment before and find that they're total disregard for my situation to be very aggravating. Their customer service is also bad. I will tell anyone that will listen never sign a contract with AT&T! I can't wait for my contract to expire!

The customer service is zero %, the store manager ** is very stupid and talk all customers bad, he lied to me about my plan, and I am AT&T customer for over 15 years. Attention this store manager ** work at 2351 E Fowler Ave Tampa Fl 33612 is very insane guy. AT&T will be lost a lot customers because this bad manager. ** you are a bad manager, go back to school and learn about customer service, and I don't know how the AT&T give you a manager position.

Months back I decided to switch my account over to AT&T from Verizon thinking it would be a good idea! Boy was I wrong!! Not like Verizon was better either way! I switched over thru the special where AT&T would reimburse me for switching over from Verizon to AT&T, giving them my brand new phone, and porting my number. All documents were submitted for the reimbursement and I have yet to receive it my visa gift card for $530.00. I called in about a month or so ago because I work 2 jobs and have kids and complained until my eyes turned blue and they said that they were sorry for the inconvenience that they will have it expedited. Until this very same day I've called more than 20 times to find out what's going on and all I get are people (customer service) transferring to different departments which are far from the department I need and a bunch of 800 numbers who can't help me!!!

AT&T I work in customer service myself for the last 15+ years and I would never give my customers the run around like you have given me!! Your customer service skills disgust me and to make it worse no one knows what they are doing including the plenty of managers that I have spoken to!! The last manager today Jose said you close at 10pm and you close at 7pm! I guess he didn't want me calling anymore!! I don't understand it!! All I want to know is where is the money you promised me and when the heck am I going to get it in my hands??

I just got off the phone with AT&T Customer Service because my phone bill was much higher than it had been the previous month. Andre, with AT&T told me that I could upgrade from 6GB to 10GB at no charge, but my bill showed different. AT&T refused to credit my account and also refused to acknowledge that I was given incorrect information. I am urging everyone reading this, DO NOT use AT&T or DIRECTV. They scam people for money.

I literally just had a similar thing happen with DIRECTV, who I'm dropping as well. They raised my bill over $20 for no reason and didn't even notify me. Guess who owns DIRECTV? Yes, AT&T! They are so money hungry that they refused to make right what their employee messed up in the first place, saying I used the 10GB of data. I guess I wasn't supposed to use it? With all the technology available, I know they could pull the recording to listen to what was told to me. I truly believe that this was deliberate on the part of AT&T and I am making the first step right now in letting everyone know just how much AT&T and DIRECTV stinks! Going to social media next!

We were an AT&T Customer for many years, with home and cellular service. We were very happy with the service received and our cellular service was very good, until they announced they would begin selling service to other cell services. That literally cut our cell service by 50% and suffered dropped calls and unreliable service so we changed our cell service to a reliable service. We are in a low coverage area. Our AT&T home phone service cost has continually gone up over the years, and the long distance feature was costing us over $40.00 per month by itself.

Since we are retired we no longer needed the long distance portion and 4 months ago called to ask that it be removed. Each month since then, we have still had to call to have it credited because although the technician we talked with promised it would be fixed, it isn't. Just received the fourth month bill since cutting it off, and sure enough, the long distance option is still being billed. At this point I am thinking I will have to shut down the home phone service as well. I am tired of wasting my time trying to get this fixed.

The service is awful no matter how many times they switch out the sim cards. I always have drop calls and static on the line. AT&T had said maybe it's the other person line or the area I’m in. The problems gets temporary fix then I’m back to drop calls and static on the line. I shouldn't have to switch phone company or pay more just to be able to hear the other person I’m talking to and not to lose them during the phone call. I’m sick of switch from one phone company to the next trying to get one that offer a better area of coverage and less drop calls and having to paid twice as much. It would be nice if phone companies had to hold up their end of the deal.

I switched from previous carrier to AT&T & I will be the first to admit, it has been the worst experience of my life. Anytime you call you are ALWAYS unable to speak with the department you need. When they transfer your call, you still reach the wrong department. I requested to speak w/ a supervisor & the representative hung up on me! I would NEVER recommend this carrier to anybody.

Coverage area in Mississippi is sparse for all carriers but I use AT&T. I don't see AT&T being any different than other providers I've dealt with. Good service but I do hate going to store or dealing with issues.

I've been with AT&T since I graduated college in 2010. In fact, getting my own phone plan was the first grown up thing I ever did. My services is generally okay (there are some dead spots here and there... and unfortunately one is at my desk at work) but I've honestly never had an issue with customer service, billing or upgrading my plan. I now have two phones (mine and my husband’s) on the plan and we are satisfied with the service. Although I like the AT&T Next plan I wish I could replace my phone more frequently than every 2 years. I feel like being a loyal customer who's never missed a payment or even made a late payment should get some type of special VIP treatment.

AT&T is a reliable cell service, my calls always get through. There may have been one or two times the call didn't go through for some reason or another, but that's extremely rare. I pay $100 a year for my service, which I think is overpriced. When my contract's up, I plan seeing if I can lower my bill.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.
  • Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.
  • Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.
  • Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.
  • Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.
  • Best for AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Compare Prepaid Phones