AT&T Wireless

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

AT&T Wireless

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

AT&T Wireless Reviews

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Before traveling to Canada, I stopped in to affirm that out cellular plan would work while on vacation in the Canadian Rockies. The service rep checked and assured me that using our phones would be "just like we were at home". Four days into the trip I received a message about excess data usage...five days into the trip my data usage was blocked. Not at all what I was expecting.

Upon returning home I went to inquire about the problem. Miguel, who had assisted me before (he is friendly, knowledgeable and goes above and beyond to help clients), did a quick check and said I'd have to wait until all the charges from that billing period had come though. Based on his check he stated that it appeared that any problem was an error on AT&T's part. The bill arrives - over $1,200!

I'm going to shorten the story...Miguel and the staff at the store spent hours (I was at the store for over 4 hours trying to resolve the problem with their help) supporting my claim that the excess charges were AT&T's responsibility and needed to be adjusted accordingly. With Miguel's help and support the billed amount was changed in accordance with what I had originally expected. Thanks to all their help...I'm very pleased!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I switch from Sprint (Sept. the 19th. 2019) because of the coverage that AT&T offer. While in the store with preparing to move 3 lines over, the rep. said that the activation frees would be waived. Six days later I got my bill and it showed that I was being charge $90.00 dollars for activating my 3 lines. I went back to the store and tried to get the fees taken off, and of course they would not do it.

After a while, I called in to At&t customer service and a new door of kindness opened up. Gretchen **. (the customer service rep.) took care of all the issues that I was have. I could not get all the fees removed, but enough to make me add another line to my account, with no activation fees.. "Gretchen, being a business owner I would like to say that the customer service that I received from you today was the best service that I have ever received in my life. Thank you for being understanding, and most of all, thank you for your 25 year of service with At&t"...

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

My cell phone was heating up and not keeping the charge. Went into the store and was told I would have to replace the phone. The AT&T tech, Garret **, asked me if I had insurance on the phone, which I did. He told me the web page to go on and told me it would cost about $120. He told me to bring the new phone in and he would take care of transferring everything to the new phone. It took one day and phone came. Took the new phone into the store and Garret did everything for me. I was very impressed as everyone in that store was helpful and did not try and sell me a new phone, which they could have, as I did not know about the insurance covering it. I will recommend that store in Palos Hts to everyone.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I changed my service to unlimited talk/text on the last day of my billing cycle. Somehow there was a double billing amount when I looked online to see my current payment. I went back to store (Pleasant Prairie, WI) and they were able to explain what happened and change to the correct amount. I realize billing sometimes doesn't factor everything in when you first get the bill, but I was assured I will pay what I expected to pay. Thanks to District Mgr. Mike and my store rep Derek. They both took the time to explain how the billing works. It was pleasure working with both Derek and Mike. I was a previous Verizon customer, and 30 months ago I switched over and I'm glad I did.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I originally got services end of 2017. Everything was wonderful. Super satisfied until May 2018. I called to see what options I had as I had to move due to a car accident and my parents already had services with AT&T. I made it clear I wasn't going back to the old address with original rep. She advised to put services on hold so I did. She said it was good for 6 months. 3 months in I was sent a bill as if I had restored services called and was given some ** answer and was told pay the bill it would fix itself. It never did. Called back and was told the account was being resuspended for me. Come to find out it never was. Then I got another bill today 2/6/2019 for $110 again they reactivated the services AGAIN.

I called and was livid kept getting this Asian woman that spoke horrible English and understood it even less until I was transferred to ED from Missouri who knew what he was talking about, made sense and got everything taken care off. I did have to cancel my account and will have to reactivate all over when I get to my place and there is a small fee to cancel but that's ok as he explained everything thoroughly and clearly and to where I understood and it made sense. HE and ONLY him restored my faith in AT&T and because of him I will come back once settled into my own spot. Thank you Ed for your upstanding customer service and customer relation skills. You are a real star of the AT&T team!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

On September 23, 2019, while I was dealing with another Internet issue where they wouldn't bury the new cable they installed taking hours of my day, they appeased me via telephone by offering a 12 month contract with $30 off internet. Roughly 45 days later, they, without notice or communication, removed the promotion saying it was a mistake that was corrected. They still try to hold me under contract even though they breached their own contract. We are now taking steps to dispute their cancelation fees.

Late that same September, I tried to upgrade my phone (current one was not working). The loyalty center told me over the phone that the upgrade was processed and the phone was shipped. It will arrive in 3-5 business days. Business day 4, I went online to check the status, but it hadn't shipped yet. Unbeknown to me, I had to accept the terms and conditions. Time was of the essence and not one of the 5-6 representatives could overnight the phone. My wife talked to one who tried a work around which required canceling the original order. We agreed, He then tried to use another family member's upgrade to try and process ours, stating that we still owed taxes on the phone. We said no, explicitly saying that they are not authorized to charge us, and I was leaving AT&T.

The next day I ported out of AT&T. A few days later we received a phone from AT&T. The online reps couldn't tell us why and wouldn't come pick it up. We had to go to the AT&T store to ship it out. We got confirmation that they received the phone the very next day, Oct 8, 2019. We waited for the full priced charges to come off our account. A month later, the charges were still there, and now late fees. When we contacted them, they tried to make it out that we did something wrong can kept asking us if we actually returned the phone. Eventually, they opened a case, and we were able to get the phone charge, upgrade fee, and late fees taken off.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I submitted a Subsidy Device Unlock Request to AT&T for them to unlock my phone on 11/5/2019. To this day they have not done it despite the fact that I don't owe them any money or have any contracts with them. Their response is "your request needs more research to determine eligibility", which they keep saying all the time. I cannot use my phone with any other carrier because AT&T won't unlock my phone even though I didn't buy it from them.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I called in and spoke to a rep named Everett about an upgrade. He was completely rude and ended up transferring me to a representative in another country. I hung up with this rep and called. I called back and asked to speak with a supervisor. I then spoke to someone named Amanda who said she was a manager. Amanda was worse than the first rep. She was rude, cutting me off, not listening, and being argumentative. Horrible Customer service! Employees are a reflection of their leadership. In this case leadership is poor and that is why the reps are the same. Poor experience!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I have been a cell phone customer service of AT&T for over 30 years. In fact, I have never had a cell phone through another company. I was so happy with AT&T that we were considering using their home security system services and renewing our newer DirectTV services with them. Their customer service used to be impeccable! I was happy to pay more for their services because it was just that good.

They changed their payment practices earlier this year. I started receiving daily telephone calls from them to pay my bill when it was only 2 weeks past the due date! Too aggressive! I have excellent credit and don't know how many thousands and thousands of dollars I have spent for service over more than 30 years with family plans, iPads, hardware, etc. Additionally, this summer, a software change was made in their billing services. I was no longer able to view my monthly cell phone bill. I called their customer service team and was passed from person to person to person. I feel like I have been involved in a perpetual game of "customer hot potato". Told that my bill would be straightened out by the next billing cycle. Or within 72 hours. It was not! I couldn't view my bill to see when the bill was due or any of the details.

I received monthly text messages threatening suspension of services within less than 30 days of the due date. I dealt with literally the worst customer service I have ever experienced! For the past almost 5 months, I have (literally) spent hours and hours on the phone each month, trying to get their software issue resolved so that I can see my monthly bill and pay it in a timely manner.

Repeatedly, I have asked to speak with supervisors and been transferred to a peer billing agent (many who are new and having to work with their supervisors while I was on the phone to answer basic questions). The one supervisor that I did speak with was incredibly rude and wouldn't even let me talk (she kept talking over me). She told me that if I didn't pay my bill with her at that moment, that they wouldn't be able to resolve my billing issue (which felt like black mail.....all they cared about was getting my money from me) and then had the nerve to tell me that they were going to charge me $5.00 to process my payment over the phone. She told me that if I wanted to view my bill until this was resolved, I should just go to one of their stores! What? This was their billing issue, not mine.

I don't usually raise my voice during customer service calls. I have been in customer service and understand how it feels to deal with rude customers and try to put myself in their shoes. I made an exception! I phoned a store manager and communicated with her repeatedly via email who didn't keep her commitments to me with updates on my issue. I had to keep following up with her and she was offended when I told her strongly that good will and trust in AT&T has been lost from my perspective. She told me to contact AT&T Loyalty, since she wasn't making me happy. I asked her how to do so and she didn't respond. The irony is that AT&T expects their customers to be responsive in paying bills on time and to phone and text messages that they send, but they don't feel that reasonable responsiveness should be expected of them!

Literally, I spent five hours on the phone this week alone. I kept asking to speak with someone from AT&T Loyalty and kept getting transferred back to billing. I finally got connected to someone in the "loyalty" group and she said that she couldn't help me. She passed me on to someone else who told me right away that she couldn't help me, either, and gave me a number to call for another department! I spoke with a technical person who said that he would have his manager call me by the end of the day. That didn't happen. I called a few days later and got passed around and around and around again. Asked for a contact at the corporate office and was told that they don't have that information and even if they did, they wouldn't give it out. One person told me that I needed to take a drink of water because I sounded too upset. What???

I was finally transferred to someone who assured me that I would be connected with a supervisor or manager. This person told me that he wasn't at his desk, he needed my number to call me back and he promised to call me within 3 minutes when he was back at his desk. He told me to stay off my line, answer the call immediately, and he would get right back to me. Didn't happen. Another broken commitment.

To say that I am disgusted with AT&T is an understatement!!! Every time I call them, my blood pressure goes up. I asked many of the dozens of people I spoke with (no exaggeration) if they would blindly pay a monthly bill that they couldn't even view? How much MY time is worth as a customer, trying to get a problem resolved that is their issue, not mine? Where AT&T's loyalty is to their customers? I don't believe it exists.

At this point, I believe that AT&T is only concerned about collecting money from their customers. That's it. The problem with that business model is that if relationships are not mutually-beneficial, they won't work. Dealing with them is literally a nightmare! I'm going to be shopping for other options. I will not do business with a company that is only concerned with making money and not with helping their customers with problems generated within their own organization. In my mind, AT&T is now providing customer service at a much lower quality than their competitors.

The sad thing is that when my husband died a few years ago, I called them (crying) to disconnect his cell phone. I knew I would never hear his voice again. The customer service agent I spoke with kindly and compassionately told me that they would pay for his service for two months so that I could call and listen to his voice on his voicemail greeting. I was so moved and touched by that generosity that I told everyone I knew about it. Those days are clearly gone. So is my business with them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I have been with AT&T for over 10 years. (Not sure why it takes me so long to change.) I have had multiple dealings with them where they talked me into a "good deal" that would save me money only to find out that my overall bill went up X amount. This last time, the lady asked if I wanted to change to the new unlimited plan. It would save me about $6 a month. Of course I can't reverse it because the old plan was grandfathered. Also she wanted to back date it (a couple of days to the beginning of the billing cycle according to her). That was on 10/29. The billing cycle closed on 10/28. She back dated it to 9/29.

And oh, by the way my bill went up $76 dollars for the month that had already passed. I chatted with them for over 2 hours trying to get this fixed. The supervisor said they couldn't do anything about it because the bill was valid. I guess it is OK to steal money from people. I will be looking for a new wireless service tomorrow. It is a shame their customer service is so bad. Their platform is pretty good overall and they could have a monopoly if they would just treat people right.

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.

• Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.

• Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.

• Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.

• Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.

• Best for: AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs