AT&T Wireless
2.06/5
Based on 1,039 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

AT&T Wireless

5543 AT&T Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

I had called AT&T customer service to find out about the BOGO deal. I was told that I was talking in promotions department. They told me that to be eligible for this deal I need to add a new line to my account which I did not want to, so they offered me a solution and told that I can add a new line at the time of placing the order and after I receive my new phone I can cancel the new line. I was happy with this solution and so I placed the order. After I received my new phone I called up customer service and told them what I was told and asked them to cancel the new line. I was told that the person who gave me the initial information did was wrong and did not know what she was saying and it happens, sometimes customer care representatives don’t know about promotions. I requested if AT&T can do something since they gave me the wrong information. I talked with 5 different people and nothing happened.

So I wrote on their community forum. AT&T sent a reply on the community forum asking about the details. I sent the details and they just told me this is a feedback so they can improve their customer service but no one contact me to tell me what to do. After few weeks when nothing happened I called them to cancel my new line and return the phone and they denied that too saying it wasn’t already past 14 days and AT&T won’t accept my phone (these phone were not used at all). Again they transferred me to different departments and finally a lady told that I can go to the store and they can accept it. I tried that but the store manager told me that they can’t but the customer service can do it since this mess started with AT&T giving wrong information.

So I called back and after being transferred to 3 different people finally someone helped me to solve this and now I can refund my phone and I hope I won’t be charged for it. I spent at least 24 hours talking with 12 different people before I could talk to someone who was willing to help me. People were rude and some even talked in a way like they make decision for AT&T. I had asked if anyone in AT&T can help me and one lady told me that she is the management/manager and no one in AT&T will help me and it was my mistake.

Original review: July 21, 2018

My business account with AT&T was for 6-7 lines over a period of many years...probably 15-20 years. I recently moved to a rural area where AT&T is the worst option, so we switched to Verizon just before Christmas. All my lines were ported over. AT&T continued to bill me for service and every month when the statement arrived, I would call them to ask them to remove the fees for that month and when the overcharges reached over $500, they credited an autopayment back to me. The charges continued to accumulate and they finally closed my account. Several times, they told me they were creating a case for a supervisor to review and that I’d receive a call back within a week. No one ever called me, and now I’m being told this is the “back office team” and that there is no way to call them to speak with them. Next thing I know, I receive a letter from a collection agency!

I was told this week that they won’t create a case for me because the previous one was denied. I am not allowed to speak to a supervisor. This is the WORST customer service ever!!!! Now the collection agency is calling me twice a day. I told them that when AT&T can prove that a single call was made on the lines they say were not ported over, I’ll pay. AT&T already told me they cannot, because the account is closed. They lie, and their supervisors hide behind closed doors and call themselves the “back office team” that no one is allowed to talk to. I’m taking my story to a consumer advocate news reporter to see if they can sort this out and do a news story at the same time.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 20, 2018

AT&T was instructed to put insurance on my son’s new iPhone 7 when we bought it. It’s all over their notes! When the phone had water damage 3 weeks later they tell me they forgot to add insurance and I’m out the cost of a new phone. 8 years of my service with these crooks amounts to **. I hate Verizon but I guess it’s time we switch. I’ve spent 6 hours getting the run around with customer loyalty and they just don’t care.

Original review: July 20, 2018

25 year customer just paid 900 to walk away! Claimed buy one get one free a year ago and always got bill wrong. Had to call every month. This month they claimed that I’m not eligible for the get one free cause I canceled DirecTV 10 months ago and they apparently just figured that out of the other end. I call BS and paid 900 for remaining balance on two phones. Went down to Verizon and they bought them for 500 total so I’m out 400 but have better service and cheaper monthly bill. Can’t stand AT&T. They lost me FOREVER!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I received a new iPad from AT&T for purchasing a new cell phone. I only took it because it was FREE. For over l year they have been charging me for that iPad. The iPad has been in the drawer since I received it for FREE. I have no use for it. Don't know how to use it and don't want to use it. I called AT&T and told them to stop charging me for something I don't want or use. They claim I signed a 2 year contract for the iPad. I would never knowingly sign a 2 year contract for something I knew I would never use. They want to charge me over $100.00 to take the iPad off my cell phone bill. I told them I am 76 years old and had no idea I was going to be charged for something they were giving me for free.

The salesman also put TELEVISION on my cell phone when I purchased it Without my knowledge. Someone told me I had it on my phone. I had no idea. I brought the phone back into the store and he removed the television from the phone. Now, I want the iPad account closed as I don't use it. It is still brand new in the box. I spoke with AT&T Loyalty dept. and they would not help me. I explained the salesman did not explain anything to me. He saw he was dealing with a 76 year old woman and tried to get as much commission from the sale that he could get. Can you help me get the iPad account closed without paying over $100.00? Thank You.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: July 18, 2018

I was with AT&T for over 7 years. Paid for my phones in full, my bills every month and didn't have much issues. Until my phone broke and I needed a new phone. I called AT&T to get pricing on the phone and got 3 - 4 different prices, when I requested to speak to the supervisor I was routed to 5-6 different departments. Finally I got a supervisor on the phone, she was supposed to put me on hold but she transferred me to a different department; I couldn't get a hold of her at all (no one knew her name or employee number). My whole day was being transferred from one person to another and no one could track the previous person. It was a Nightmare!!!

I left/closed AT&T the very next day and went to Verizon. I called multiple times to request a final bill/payment. Spoke to three representative which confirmed I will only wind up paying about $9 for my final bill (due to paying a month in advance in the beginning credit) but they couldn't take a payment until the final bill was generated. Two months passed, no final bill! I called AT&T and they kept insisting that I pay the full balance of about $80 plus late fee. They denied the month in advance payment credit and insisted to pay the full amount. So my month in advance payment credit of $72 Vanished!!! I have been very stressed over how AT&T handles business. I really hope they are shut down one day. The worst customer service, almost everyone there lies and the company covers up for them by not tracking/finding the person. I DO NOT recommend AT&T at all. Save yourself ton of stress and headaches, go with a better company.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Signed up with company and have watched monthly bill increase slowly each month. Company took over DirecTV and watch channel availability decrease and monthly fee increase. No way to email them and repeated request to have someone call have been ignored. Been customer of DirecTV for twenty years and am totally disgusted. Have unlimited data plan but when it reaches 11GB everything slows down. This is pure BS. One pays for unlimited and should get such. This company is dishonest and needs investigation for monopoly and/or mob-like behavior.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I’ve been on the phone with these people for 5 days. Every representative has different information. We filed an insurance claim on a new phone that wasn’t working. They sent us a box for us to return the old phone. We did that. They are saying they didn’t receive it and now put 940$ on my bill. This is the second time in 6 months we have had to pay a big amount for something they scam up. I’ve been a good customer and this makes me sick. The last representative I talk to was rude and snippy. I told him, "How do I know someone in their warehouse didn’t steal the phone and not log it in"! They do absolutely nothing to help you resolve any issues. I hear Verizon calling my name. I’m just fed up with this. They don’t even act like they care about customer service at all! Rip offs is all I can say!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

AT&T had been charging me for a phone line I called to close for 9 months. Representatives wouldn’t officially close line after calling numerous times and now they won’t credit my account. They state there’s no comments of my 9+ phone calls. Every time I call I get wrong information and they say they will submit refund for review. Terrible customer service. For $270 a month 3 lines, I should be getting excellent customer service. I’ll be changing phone service, and I don’t think I’ll get my credit. I’m tired of waiting. I’ve been a customer of theirs for 13 years. It’s like they don’t want me to stay with company, when I say I’m switching they don’t even comment anything. Other companies usually try to get you to stay and might give you incentives. Not AT&T, very disappointed with them.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My cellphone phone wireless company had the audacity to tell me that a payment I made in March 2018 that they cashed was requested to be returned by my bank. I called my back and they stated that is not true as we don’t ask for money to be returned. I asked ATT to provide this proof in which I got the runaround and contact calls to suspend my service. I do not recommend ATT for any service as they do not want to help and are very dishonest! Worst company ever.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Don't speak to anyone at ATT Customer Service when connected to a live person!!! Immediately ask to speak to someone from the United States. The representatives are from the Philippines and in my humble opinion anyone from this country cannot relate to someone in the United States or has common knowledge on how society prevails here in the USA. It is a constant innuendo type conversation and you are immediately flagged as low class no matter how humble or considerate you are.

If you are considering to activate new service. Have in mind, you will be speaking to a person from a 3rd world country with substandard living where there are no rules with anti social aspects and common human emotion with a general attitude against anyone who is not from that race etc... Yes they are racist. I spoke to Mary ** and she could not give me information on how or why my call forwarding was not working Monday morning. I had to call ATT and ask to place my number back to call forward my calls etc... She call tested etc... It was also a general rude conversation, even with a person from the United States. ATT is a very bad company, Very Very Very Very baddd. I want an attorney to contact me about my complaint.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Recently I received my wireless bill with an increase of $9.83. When I called customer service to inquire about the increase I was told my plan was changed. I did not request this plan change, but I was told my old plan was discontinued (without my knowledge) and they had increased my data usage to 20g for a $10.00 increase. Well, I don't need 20g of data. I was then told I could lower my plan to $85.00 to get 10g of data. Since when is it ok for a company to randomly change a customer's account without the customer's permission or notification?

Original review: July 16, 2018

I had the unfortunate experience of switching my phone service to AT&T and buying new phones. I asked my salesman (at Westmoreland Mall Sales office in Greensburg, PA) at least 10 times what my monthly charge would be, the total cost per month. Mike ** responded all 10 times that I would be paying only $253 per month. He said this over and over. He so conveniently just never added in the cost of the four new phones in that total. So I was shocked at my third bill was now $335 per month because he only calculated the phone service charge as the total price. So I have to pay $85 per month more forever!!!

Original review: July 15, 2018

AT&T internet access is terrible. All residents at our building in Hollywood FL are complaining about AT&T internet. We did a speed test and PING is 76, DOWNLOAD Mbps is 0.28, and UPLOAD Mbps is 0.31. That means "click and wait, wait, and ... wait"; terrible internet connection and speed services by AT&T. AT&T outsource their customer service calls to Philippines; and those Filipino can't do nothing to help you. Do yourself a favor; Do NOT have AT&T for internet or any services!

Original review: July 14, 2018

If you want horrible reception, all of your phone calls to drop, only get half of your text messages, with old school "dial -up" data speeds then ATT is the plan for you... Almost forgot they also bill you for services not given years after you come to your senses and fire them. If you are reading this then you are thinking about joining the ATT family... JUST DON'T.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Where to begin? First, they pretty much stole our old smartphones when we switched to AT&T. They said we'd get credit for them on our bill, took them out of our hands, and we never saw the credit. Found out later that we were supposed to apply for the credit by a deadline, but no one told us that. They said that's our problem, not theirs. Since then, our cell reception has always been at only 1 or 2 bars, no matter where we are. And the latest and most annoying problems occur with every forced update our phones must go through. With every update comes more problems with certain apps not working anymore, popups that say other apps have stopped working, etc.

Specifically, the last update a few weeks ago has created these problems: Multiple times a day, I receive a popup that says Photos has stopped working, even when Photos isn't open on my phone. I can be in the middle of a text, an internet browsing session, a game, etc., and I'm constantly interrupted by barrages of popups saying Photos has stopped. I have the option to leave feedback on the popup window, so I often do. It's been 3 weeks since the last update, I've left multiple feedback messages, and it's still not resolved. Same with Device Maintenance. I need to use Device Maintenance to get to my Storage so that I can eject my micro SD card safely. But since the last update, I haven't been able to eject my SD card, because I can't even get to that screen. When I try, I get a popup that says Device Maintenance has stopped working and I can't go any further.

I've left multiple feedback descriptions of this problem, but it's still a problem. I've restarted my phone many times (off and back on again) but nothing has changed. I'd physically walk into my local store to get help, but all the times I've tried before have been fruitless. No one can help me. The kids working there don't know how to fix anything, and that's if they even have time to see me. If I don't make an appointment, I am required to be put on a lengthy walk-in list, with priority given to those who've made appointments. Once, I waited two hours to be seen for a problem with my phone being unrecognized by devices when I'd try to plug it into them, such as my laptop, and they ultimately couldn't help me. They told me to go to an unrelated computer fix-it place in town, where I would be charged.

When I've tried to call to make an appointment, the phone rings and rings, no matter how many times a day I try to call. There is no voicemail at my local store. When I try to make an appointment online, it sends me into a loop of links and I still can't make an appointment. I am not exaggerating a single one of my statements in this review. I have so much more to say, but I'll stop now. As soon as we can, we are getting away from AT&T. We would have stayed with US Cellular (which we'd used for 18+ years) but they closed our local store a few years ago and it became very hard to get our usual good customer service after that. So we switched. And we now have a serious case of buyer's remorse. STAY AWAY FROM AT&T if you can help it.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I had AT&T from January 2017 till now. My auto pay service was being shut off automatically last month and today they did it twice. I called last month to renew my auto pay service and they did nothing to help me. I was being transferred to another person and I'm now fed up with them. I dropped them today. I now have T-Mobile. I'm tired of AT&T and their crap. My card was declined on the auto pay service the beginning of last month and my new debit card was declined as well online. I'm happy with T-Mobile. I'm no longer going back to AT&T Wireless and deal with their crappy customer service who won't help me.

Original review: July 12, 2018

AT&T evidently put fiber cable in our neighborhood and did not tell anyone that they would be doing it or tearing up your yard and not fixing it. When I tired to talk to the workers doing the work, none of them could speak English. I have tired calling, emailing, feedback surveys, and a AT&T community forum and have yet to hear anything from them. This is going on 4 months since the work was done.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I don't even know where to start to be honest. My experience as of late with AT&T have been pathetic. Service goes down and I call and have a technician come to "fix" it, he tells me the wires down the road in the box were bare and corroded and he was surprised I saw service at all. The tech says he's taken care of that and now he's gonna put me on a better channel for my wifi to run more smoothly. It's been 2 weeks of the same old BS, runs slow, (if it works at all). I've been using my Verizon unlimited mobile hotspot to get anything done. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! THEY ARE TRASH! if you look up a down detector/outage map and see AT&T's pathetic coverage problems it'll make you wonder how the ever living hell they're even still in business.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have been a customer of AT&T since 2004. Customer service was why I stayed with them as every rep I ever spoke to was awesome and if something was incorrect in my billing, they corrected it and gave me a credit. They now give you absolutely nothing all while they charge you for every little detail and then some! They now charge you $800 for a new phone that doesn't last 2 years and tell you that Apple charges them the same price they charge us. Apple charges for 1 phone $800 but AT&T who buys thousands of phones supposedly pays the same price? You have to think I'm really ignorant to believe that lie!

I asked today about changing my number because of all the fake calls I am getting (23 per day, every single day) and I am told it is a $36 charge? Otherwise I can download their 'free' app, AT&T Call Protect. Well, I can't even find that app in the play store and see the reviews are 1* anyways because of the popup ads asking you to buy up to premium to get full access. I am soooo looking forward to next April so that I can cancel our 5 lines from this feckless company!

Original review: July 10, 2018

There should be a negative rating. Internet was mind-numbingly slow, even after someone coming over and installing a new modem (which took a couple of tries in itself before he declared it to be working, yeah right). I got absolutely no response in spite of calling their "customer care 24x7" number multiple times. Each time they were getting multitudes of calls, putting me on hold for 20-30 minutes at a time. I can only assume there are tons of other furious customers out there. Also, no representative informed me about the whopping cancellation fee that would be charged. Apparently, you sign a year long contract with them, and if you wish to cancel it any time before that, beware because you will be charged a substantial sum. I got fed up of the service in two months, wherein I was charged a $150 fee. You basically get punished for not using their service for at least a year.

I called up their customer service number on a weekday at 6:30 pm and a Christina told me that I could cancel the service by visiting a store, because the retention department was closed (yayy 24x7 services). So I went. And the store of course told me that they are not authorized to cancel accounts and I would have to call the customer care number again. Naturally, I was pissed. However, they called on my behalf there and cancelled it for me, thankfully. But then, I also had to take the equipment and deposit it at the UPS store. Because why would the AT&T store accept AT&T equipment. Ridiculous. It was just an extremely frustrating experience, and I still curse the lady who talked me into opting for AT&T. Never do it. They are looking for chances to eat up your money everywhere.

Original review: July 9, 2018

ZERO stars if possible. This company has a bunch of crooks with a license to steal. Close to 100 bucks for a 10-minute installation. I used their service for a couple of days before canceling, and then the bill for the month came out to be over $108! Ridiculous. This is the last mistake I will ever make, and I will most definitely EVER consider any of their services ever again.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Ongoing dispute for AT&T wireless MiFi services. I have and continue to be charged for services that were never used. Incorrect information was given to me on the internet services. AT&T provided me with the device that I did not need or want. The device was sent right back to them and was told for months this would be taken care of. Nine months later I am now receiving an invoice from a collection agency asking for money. I now in return decided I will not have a phone conversation with them. I will now put everything in writing. The recorded phone calls stated this would be taken care of and still have not. I have a cell phone and cable from AT&T and DirecTV which both bills are paid monthly with no issues. I feel I have been a more than loyal customer to AT&T and to be sent to a collection agency for services that were not provided is unfair.

Original review: July 7, 2018

AT&T is not what it used to be. 0 star. Been with them since 2006. My bill is getting higher. I recently changed plan to cut my bill in half. Got my bill and bill even higher than before. They made all the cuts and charged me more money. Can't do this anymore. Will pay off contract and buy another phone and go to phone cards. Not AT&T bad business and dishonest service.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I would like to share my experience because I got wrong information about switching AT&T from other service. I went to store and store salesman seemed so nice and explaining a lot. He said if I changed the service now, AT&T will pay the early termination fee. So I was interested and changed it. He said I can trade in my phone if I wanted. I decided to trade in my phone that day. He instructed me how to upload my last bill and I can get the credits for my early termination fee up to $650. I did right away. I waited more than 6 weeks and status on tracking showed pending.

So I emailed them to ask how long I needed to wait. I got responded email the next day and said Invalid. So I chatted online about it. Finally I realized that I got lied by store salesman. Actually they took my old phone free. My termination fee is $240. My trade in phone is $135. I just got $105 credits. Their rule is if I don’t trade in, I will never get my early termination fee. So clearly they want me to change and then after that they don’t care. If I knew like this, I would never change early before my contact. Now I gave them my phone free and got the bad service than my previous service. I trusted to the salesman and just listened his explanation. I would like to warn others that please check details before making decisions. Now I’m stuck because no one will help me with this problem.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Trying to change from one phone to another - I do not like doing this, but not sure how to tell AT&T what is going on if you get people on the phone that you have a complaint about. I called the AT&T consumer services. The first person was very hard to understand and could not understand what I wanted, so I asked to speak to his supervisor who still did not understand me, and I certainly could not understand her. They were with residential services and told me I had to transfer to business, which we are not and told them that. I know I have told over 10 people at AT&T stores and online that we are not a business.

Talked to business and told them we were not a business. This person was extremely hard to understand. He said he could not help me, so he sent me back to consumer. The consumer guy was the rudest ever. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he refused and said he would keep me on the line for 2 minutes then hang up on me. I asked his name and he was silent. I just hung up and went to the chat line. The person on the chat line could be understood, since we were typing. The person's name was Jacob, I believe. He understood what I wanted and ordered a sim card for me. I gave him the exact name of the phone for which I needed a sim card. I HOPE IT WORKS--waiting on it.

The online order says the sim was for a different phone, so am getting very discouraged, but still have hope. The person on the chat line was very nice. Very sad that AT&T has sent all its customer calls to foreign countries where the individuals cannot speak ENGLISH! Customer service has really gone downhill. Been with AT&T in one place or another for around a half century, and this is how I am treated. All caps are for emphasis-not yelling.

Original review: July 4, 2018

By far THE WORST SERVICE as it applies to your Military subscribers. I’ve been a loyal customer for over 15 years. I placed my accounts on suspension while on deployment (out of country, not using one service) and I continued to contact AT&T to rectify the issue. They would continue state they would refund me. I’ve paid over $500 in services never rendered. Well done AT&T, accounts got closed tonight.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Att is the worst company I have ever encountered. I bought a iPhone 8 and thought I was in good hands with ATT since I have heard of this company since childhood and its good reputation. My iPhone won’t let me receive calls in my home, drops calls when I dial out and is garbled when if I do make it through to friends. Customer service and IT says nothing can be done about it. I have tried everything they suggested but nothing worked. A manager at a ATT store told me to call IT and ask for a microcell booster. The guy just laughed and told me they haven’t sold them in a year. I will never ever go back to this company after I finish the contract and I will strongly recommend to my friends and acquaintances not to use them. They are very unethical with customer service telling you one thing and it saying the complete opposite.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I had many issues with this so called mobile carrier. Is the worst company in the USA from all prospectives! Most their employee are rude. They only care is to get you buy a locked telephone device to get their correct service! I tried to get my personal information to change carrier and they told me that I had to pay an extra money to give me the information... I forgot to tell you that even though I made the change 25 of the month they kept change the date to the 1st month so I already paid for 25 day with no service! THOSE PEOPLE ARE THIEVES!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Cancelled my phones, tablet, internet and cable in April. They won't unlock our phones and are still billing me for a tablet. On the phone for the 4th time tonight, this time for 2 hours to be told, we owe the bill and never cancelled. Even though I spent 2 hours on with them last week and was told it would be cancelled and we didn't owe anything. I don't care if moved somewhere that only they serviced. I will NEVER use AT&T again.

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.

• Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.

• Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.

• Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.

• Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.

• Best for: AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs