AT&T Wireless
1.72/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

AT&T Wireless

5731 AT&T Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Ordered a phone through phone and was advised to reach to Any store to collect SIM card. At the store (Wayne NJ) I was told: SIM card would arrive with the phone and that I could get another SIM and number and that we could cancel the phone order. Along with manager a call was made to AT&T customers service who confirmed cancellation but said that the phone would still be sent and advised to returned it within 14 days and provide them later with tracking ID. Phone returned as advised. After a couple of weeks I reached out to AT&T and request receipt confirmation. The phone was received!

Then a couple of weeks later my account was credit for a phone I had returned. Went to Wayne store where store manager and I called customer service who confirmed receipt and apply recrediting in my credit card. Then a few days later, my account was again credited for the phone. After this day I made so many calls (>20 hours) to AT&T. Managers review investigate my case(s), track the phone using different systems AT&T have and approves credit! Then someone somehow disregard over and over again the credit approval and rejects the credit! This has happened up to 10 times, If not more. I was once called by someone who claimed to be a “high manager” (was made aware of the above after I filled in a survey,) who was going to investigate why all was rejected and promised crediting my account and would follow up with a call. That never came.

Five months down the road, I’m still being charged for a phone I returned to AT&T and which receipt was confirmed my multiple managers. Recently I made payments that would go towards my service but AT&T is applying to the phone. Upon consultation of an attorney I called Customer service and requested to escalate the case which I’ve done. During the call I came to know that the case was internally escalated and that I would receive a call on October 18th.

It’s today Oct 18 7:58 pm and no call has been made to me. I will contact Attorney General's office to file a claim and initiate investigation as AT&T is committing fraud! For the record, I have been with AT&T for 10 years now and am a gold customer as they called it. This means I never was later on a payment! Fear of AT&T destroying my credit is the only reason as to why I’m still making calls to them. I hope they don’t hurt my credit like it was apparently done to another customer I just read the reviews who has similar issue!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have tried their security system and could not get anyone to answer info on login failures. Could not use system for months but now owe 200 plus to collection agency even though told them to put on hold. However, they require to confirm that I said this or that in their notes but they refuse to document requests so that they can say they never received the request. Bunch of thieves who would prefer to send to collections an account instead of offering a way to keep an account open and get a technician to location to assist in device failures. Happy to cancel, however, have a pile of devices here that are now useless that I had to pay small fortune to get installed. Their cell service has become just as bad in rising rates for existing users and milking every penny possible when needing to upgrade a device. I miss the days when they had deals for existing users to get new phones at a discount instead of offering only for new users.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Beware of the message from AT&T that your prepaid plan is "good until" a certain time (e.g. 8:57 a.m. CDT) the next day. This implies that current plan is being cancelled and that you have to choose a more expensive one. AT&T does not say that you can keep your current plan and that the "good until" time and date are meaningless. In fact, you can keep your cheap plan if you like it. In my opinion, this message from AT&T constitutes consumer fraud.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I got this service back in Jan of 2016. I was told by the rep they could not provide service without doing auto pay. Okay, so I set up service. Their auto payments came out at random times of the month so I shut it off and logged on every month to pay. This was okay, until the year contract expired. Then they stopped sending emails for when the bill was due and would shut off service anywhere between 2-7 days after the bill came out to charge an additional $30. I called to cancel the service and was threatened with my bill going to collection if I did not pay that day. This is the absolute worst service I have ever received.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

After an hour and half with ATT on the phone, promising a new iPhone with savings on my DirecTV bill as well. I said yes, after 2 wrong total for my monthly bill I got one. Then was told after the credit check etc that there was a activation fee of $30. Then it was a state sales tax of $67.00 ok, I gulped and still said ok. After everything was done I was directed to a website to "check the boxes." I just needed to that the girl says, when I asked about this contract to pay $700. To ATT she didn't know anything about it.

She gave me to the manager, who tried to tell me I was getting the iPhone 8 for "free", but if I left ATT before 30 months were up I had to pay the phone off or give up "my free" phone. At best it's lying, attorney general should close them down or fine them for lying, nondisclosure at least!!! Thank god I read the fine print for once in my life. I saved myself a lot of grief! No way would I have kept $80 a month for 30 months, not when everyone else is doing $25 to $40 a month nowadays! I have some choice words for them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My experience with AT&T by far hands down the worst experience I've ever had with a company tenfold. They continue to send me Bills 6 months after my account was closed and demand that I pay them when I have no account with them. If you go with AT&T go with God!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My father in law passed away in August. We canceled his AT&T service and paid his last bill. Still, there was a credit on his account. Upon their request, we returned all of their equipment under their statement that we would be reimbursed the credit on the account. Oddly, they charged the closed account EXACTLY for the amount they owed us! When I called to complain, they treated me so rudely that I am now canceling our account. DO NOT JOIN AT&T. They will rip you off even after you’re dead.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Whatever you do not, I mean do not sign up with AT&T. I purchased my phone the S9+ on May 25th 2018 only because I was promised a rebate after 90 day for already having U-verse. 5 months later I'm calling and they said they can't find the promotion that was associated with this deal on that date. I've been transferred to every dept. with no one can give me any answer as to what's going on. I will be paying the cancelation for my services for wireless and U-verse and moving on. Stay away. Go to Verizon or Sprint!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This last year has been complete misery. My contract is up and I can not leave AT&T fast enough. I have had problems from day one. First they lied to me about the channels available and wanted to charge me $30 more a month to get the channels I wanted. So for a year I have not had the service I signed up to receive. I have had 3 dvrs break losing everything I recorded. Each time calling customer service was a joke. Waiting for 45 minutes sometimes for them to answer after navigating a labyrinth of computer assistants designed to remove your will to live. Then getting through to someone who has me go through all the same procedures I have already tried. Then to put me on hold and cut me off. They all take my number but NEVER call back.

I have never resolved an issue without making 3-5 calls to the service department. My recommendation for any unlucky souls in this position is to immediately ask for a supervisor. This slightly shortened the process. But as the filbert comic once said; they do eventually solve the problem if your problem is an abundance of optimism.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I had both AT&T and DirecTV for 2 years. Absolute worst customer service ever! Do yourself a favor and trying call their customer service line when you're not buying a product. The most frustrating experience ever.

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.

• Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.

• Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.

• Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.

• Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.

• Best for: AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs