3.2/5 (692 ratings)

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

Pros

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

Cons

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to giv...

Verified

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to st...

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
  • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
  • Nurses
  • Physicians
  • Military
  • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
  • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
  • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
Who owns AT&T Wireless?
AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

AT&T Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

Original review: June 5, 2021

I have been with AT&T for over 20 years and because the prices continued to rise and because they are a very "Woke" company, I decided to cancel them and go with someone else. I had originally transferred 4 numbers of 5 lines to another company and when I called to cancel the 5th line, I was on the phone being transferred to different departments for 2 hours. I was hung up on twice and the sweet friendly attitudes that I normally got when I called before, became nightmarish "what do you want" attitudes. I have never experienced such terrible and unprofessional behavior from At&t in the last 20 years. I will say that I also called and canceled My Direct and I got the normal professional and nice customer service from them. Because of this bad experience with the phones, At&t will not get my service again.

Original review: May 27, 2021

We had our company numbers, eight of them, with AT&T. We moved to a city next to our current location and asked to move our numbers on a specific date. After 5 different calls, one saying they could not, another saying they could and visa versa, they committed to move our phones on our move date. That date came and went and after about 50 calls over 100 hours and about two dozen different people (one even said they did not care about our business) we are now 2 months later and still cannot get our numbers released. In the meantime we hired Comcast who hooked up our phones in 1 week. They cannot get our number since AT&T is still unable to release them. Daily we make a dozen calls and still cannot get help. They say they will call back and do not. They say they are not the right department and cannot get us to the right one. We will NEVER use them again and still they are holding our numbers hostage (we have had them for 40 years).

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I was lied to about my plan details and cost and when I tried to get out (13 days in) I was told I have to stay with AT&T for "at least 60 days" to get my phones unlocked. My phones are held hostage until I pay the ransom determined by AT&T. Stay away from this dishonest company. They talk a good game but it is a shell game to steal your money.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Worst company ever!!! I tried to switch over my daughter's phone carrier and when we found out her phone was locked thru her original carrier-Cricket they still billed me even though we never used AT&T service. They are scammers just trying to get people money!!

Original review: May 11, 2021

Every month, when my phone bill arrives, the cost goes up and the service goes down. I am currently traveling in Mexico and was trying to make a medical appointment and couldn't do it. I have spent 3 hours of my day on the phone. Two of the phone reps were great, but the one male rep was simply nasty. Once I'm back in the US, I am most definitely switching to another phone service. This one is the very worst. I've had to go through this six times in the last six months or so, and I got an $11 discount and that was it (the guy I was talking to didn't care). Not recommended. In fact, I encourage you to do research and find a stable phone service that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and where you get attitude and poor service.

Original review: May 6, 2021

I have ordered home internet, and porting phone number online to receive the rebate reward offered by AT&T. ($250 for home fiber, & $250 for each line) The day I have the internet installed the account manager (Brian ** Pooler, GA) was at my house setting up my home internet account, and he Offered me help with a sim card, it was nice of him, however I ask if he is not going to interfere with the reward and he said it should not affect it. After almost two months I called the reward center about the status of my reward. They told me I was not qualified because the order was changed to home order instead of online. Customer care advise me to contact the Sales manager via email to solve the issue, but never responded. So, the conclusion is: NEVER TRUST AT&T REP OR CUSTOMER CARE.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I called in asking if I bought a phone if I can transfer over to AT&T service. I was then pitched to their promotion in by their phone. The sales rep tried to sign me up for a phone when I did not authorize it and shows that he placed for the wrong phone.

Original review: May 1, 2021

AT&T: The worst company in the world. I have been forced to use AT&T for over 20 years due to them monopolizing my neighborhood. I have been trapped in 8-18 mbps speeds. I have reported them to the FTC, gone to office of the president, and spent thousands of hours on the phones with them due to disconnects, subpar service, incorrect billing, the list goes on. One Source just started offering copper and fiber in my neighborhood. I switched immediately! The nightmare with AT&T however, has not ceased. They are forcing me to pay for another month of service though I disconnected my service and am not in a contract. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. They are literally one of the worst companies in the world.

Original review: April 22, 2021

January 16th, 2021 I entered the AT&T store in Slidell, Louisiana to purchase a pre-paid plan I found on the company website. I called ahead to verify I could cancel my current service (Mint Mobile) due to MMS issues and start AT&T that day. After one hour and 45 minutes in the store I was first told the plan I called about was only available if I went home and ordered it online. This after I had to cancel my Mint Mobile plan prior to being seated in the store. Now my option was to pay a higher price plan available in the store or go home, order online and be without a phone for 3-5 days. I reluctantly went with the bait and switch higher plan. The AT&T rep (Damon) took my credit card and walked off.

When he returned he was unable to get my Samsung A71 5G phone activated. Damon walked off several more times and finally returned to tell me he found that he can get me the lower price online plan but needs my credit card again. This time he returns and hands me a receipt for the higher plan ($435.37) stating that the charge did not get processed and my card was only charged for the lower price plan and the phone is now activated. Approximately 10 days later I learn that my credit card has been charged twice that day - once for the plan I got and once for the $435.37 charge I was told was not processed. For two weeks I called and left messages at the store for Damon but was never granted the courtesy of a return call.

After numerous calls to various AT&T Mobility departments around the country who all claimed they could not help me with a refund, I returned to the store on February 20th with a copy of my credit card statement showing the two charges. With Damon not available the assistant store manager, Trichelle, proceeded to help. Once Trichelle saw the problem she attempted unsuccessfully for 30+ minutes to credit my credit card. I offered that she could just put the credit on my AT&T internet account if that would be easier. Neither option for the refund was able to be processed.

Trichelle gave me two toll-free numbers to call and even gave me her cell number to offer to anyone I could reach higher up at AT&T so she could explain the store error. Ultimately on February 23rd I contact a Kris at an alleged "office of the president" and open case #82470 with her to have someone issue my refund. On February 24th I received a call from Mr James ** who was assigned to my case. For the next 5 weeks all I got was phone messages, texts or email from Mr. ** stating that he "still looking into it". On Friday, April 2, 2021 I sent an email to Mr. ** stating that is my refund was not issued by the end of the day Monday, April 5th I would contact my attorney, the Louisiana Public Service Commission and the BBB. My attorney was copied on the email. After receiving no response from AT&T I contacted the Louisiana Public Service Commission on April 7th stating the details I have in this post. A case was opened almost immediately.

On April 13th I received voice messages and an email from Ms. Ruth ** with the "office of the president" stating she "would like to learn more". I replied that there was nothing more to learn and that Mr. ** in her office and Trichelle in the Slidell store had all the facts, and until a refund was issued I had nothing to talk about. On April 20th I received a voice message and a text from Ms ** stating she was trying to reach me to issue the refund. I returned a call to Ms. ** and was told the Slidell store has a new manager (I wonder why) and he, Mr. Sedrick **) knows how to issue my refund but I need to go to the store to have it done. I told her I would be at the store within 15 minutes and she stated she would call Mr. ** letting him know I was on my way. I entered the store and Mr. ** greeted me within two minutes and took me back the cash register in the rear of the store.

He next asks for all the details related to to the misappropriation of my credit card. Even though I told him everyone knows the details I patiently gave him yet another recap. He got up to privately speak with Trichelle while I stood at the register. When Mr. ** returned he sat (while I stood, not even offered a chair) in from the register screen for approximately ten minutes only stopping to deal with two other sales agents who came and interrupted him. After this time I asked how much longer this was going to take and he rudely told me he was looking into it.

I told him Ms. ** clearly told me I was coming to the store for my long overdue refund and I got another rude reply at which I had had enough of AT&T's failed customer service and I stated that I wold go back to my attorney and the Public Service Commission if he could not issued the refund right then. Mr. ** stated that at that point he would no longer speak to me. I left the store and called Ms ** from my car and in an very agitated state let her know what an incompetent and rude person Mr. ** was and that he obviously had not been instructed to issued the refund. It is now two days later and I've heard nothing from this company that falsely charged my credit card $435.37 on January 16th.

Original review: April 12, 2021

After years with Verizon a decided to go At&t. This has been the worst mistake I ever made. I was charged 138 right off the bat. Next my first bill $463. I called numerous time after I was told I was going to get my employee discount 80% from Walmart. My bill was supposed to be $57 for both line before tax but now they just apologizes but no one takes responsibility knowing they told me this just to lock me up in a two year contract. Completely waste of my time calling over.

AT&T Wireless Company Information