AT&T Wireless

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If I could give AT&T a minus star I would. I was on the phone for 40 minutes because of an internet issue. My modem had to be reconfigured. I've only had the internet connected for 2 months. For 2 months we've had extremely slow internet access. I did not have time to call AT&T to troubleshoot the issue. When I did have time, I was on the phone for 40 minutes. 40 minutes of my time that I will never get back.

I called another number so I could request a credit on our bill because of the modem issue. When the service rep came out to our house, he should have had a new modem that was working properly. I was on the phone for 50 minutes so I decided to start an AT&T chat. The person I was chatting with called me. I explained the entire issue with him. He put me on HOLD and after 56 minutes the line disconnected. He never called me back. AT&T has to be the worst internet company available. People should not have to spend so much of their time on the phone. I finally got someone on the phone who gave me a credit on my bill for the modem issue. She said she couldn't compensate me for my time. People should not have to waste time on the phone dealing with crap like this. My time is valuable and so is everyone else's time.

Every month I go thru my bill and most months have to call to have unauthorized charges removed on our small business account. This month I spent 1 hour on the phone with an AT&T Rep. and reduced my bill $173.16!!! Here are some examples of the bogus charges from this bill: $25.00 UPGRADE FEE: My husband simply bought a new phone, the rep did not know why the charge was there, so it was removed.

MOBILE PROTECTION PACK SUPPORT: A NEWER CHARGE OF $3.00 monthly in addition to the Mobile Insurance Premium (which has gone up to $8.99, from $7.99), which we are already charged. The AT&T Rep. told me it was protection if our phones got wet, WRONG - Basically it seems to be "PRO TECH SUPPORT"... I looked it up on their website. It's a fancy way of generating more income, because all along we always had tech support! BUSINESS MESSAGING BASIC ACCESS: Asked the Rep. what that charge was for and to no surprise, she did not know. These charges go back months... $3.00 per month, per phone, we currently have 7 phones. Thank you.

My wife and I switched to AT&T in December 2016. We decided to make the switch from Verizon to AT&T because we were DirecTV customers and AT&T offered perks for DirecTV customers (free iPhone 7) if we signed up. They also offered a Veterans discount (my wife and I are both Veterans). It took several attempts to get the Veterans discount applied to our account and it required 2 trips to the dealer where we purchased our phones and the AT&T service. I should have canceled the service when I saw what a hassle it was to get a Veterans Discount... To this day 8 months later it's a crap shoot as to whether the monthly bill will include the discount. This month (July 2017) I again see that the discount isn't being removed from our bill.

As I type this I'm on hold waiting for a so-called supervisor to again try to get the problem solved. The customer service rep indicated that I no longer get the discount hence the need to talk to a supervisor. I tried to do this earlier today and was told that a supervisor would call me back in 5 minutes... 5 hours later I called AT&T back and attempted to get to someone who could fix the billing issues once and for all. At this point I'm still on hold (listening to AT&T sales propaganda). It's been about 1 hour now. My suggestion to anyone thinking about switching to AT&T... Don't. Verizon was a little more expensive but at least their customer service people could resolve a billing issue. I will be calling AT&T Corporate tomorrow to cancel both my AT&T Wireless account and my DirecTV account. The corporate number is (210)821-4105.

After several unsuccessful attempts to connect to DirecTV and AT&T Customer Service by phone, I tried AT&T Customer service CHAT. Here is what I Got??? 193 minutes wait time??? Shame on AT&T - this was suppose to be an American Telecommunications icon, what a shame.

I have had their prepaid plan for several months and recently lost my phone in a lake. My plan just renewed earlier today (the same day I lost my phone) and they refused to give me a refund on a phone that is supposed to be PREPAID SERVICE. I regret not having had it on manual payments instead of automatic. Now I have a lost phone with service that is absolutely pointless. It is ridiculous that AT&T would rather lose a loyal customer in the long run rather than refund a silly phone plan for one month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Customer care the worst! I was spending days in the last years with ATT on the phone with customer care! Almost always this result was 0. I was spending thousand $$ to paying for their mistakes. 6 guys came to my apartment and trying fix my internet, without success. Wow, 15-20 per day my internet is down and I must restart again and again!!! They promised me giving me a discounts and do you know what? 3 times they forgot put the info to the system and only option for me was calling back again!!! Very happy, next months is my last months with them! Shame on you for service like that!!!

I signed up for the special promotion triple play listed below in Feb 2017 for a bundle of $89.99. Since that time AT&T has bill me an additional $75 that I never agreed to pay or for that matter knew what the chargers entailed. I am 75 years old and recently had a stroke so this has been very stressful to say the least seeing that I am on a very low fixed income. I called AT&T this morning at 8:00 am and now it is 10:45 am and I am still on hold with them with no resolve. This is no way to treat a customer!

"Best AT&T DIRECTV Triple Play Bundle Deal. Updated July 1st, 2017. AT&T DIRECTV Triple Play Bundle TV Internet speed Promo Price (per month for 12 months). Check AT&T TV + Internet + Digital Home Phone. Free setup, Free HD DVR, Free equipment fee up to 2 rooms. Free Premium channels for 3 months. $50 VISA Reward Card. 145+ channels 6 Mbps $89.99."

I've been with AT&T since cellphones came out (20 yrs ago?). Since then I've added home phone, DIRECTV, Microcel, 4 cellphone numbers, apps etc. Without warning, I can't log into my online ATT.com account. I wasn't concerned at first. Then I tried calling to get help, resetting online (which took me to a cancelled account from years ago), an hour long call two weeks ago. This lengthy call revealed that I had chosen, (??) to receive new passwords ONLY by mailing to my billing address! Two weeks have passed. I just spent another 37 minutes on hold and being passed around... to no avail.

Apparently, I'm the dumb customer because I chose that option at some point. I'll be darned if I remember when I did that over the past 20 years... I've had Directv for years and now have NO access through my Directv app. I've really enjoyed this while traveling and exercising! Now I have NO access! I guess I have no choice but to change services or to wait forever by the mailbox... I was told 3-5 business days... well it's been over 2 weeks. I guess my $600+ payment a month doesn't matter.

AT&T has changed recently, website is different, which I understand but customer service reps are rude and make no attempt to help you. You ask for a supervisor and they don't connect you, they just repeat whatever is on their scripted responses. They have grown so big that, I guess, they don't have a need to keep loyal customers. Sad, even when they previously had people in the Philippines or wherever they were, they were much nicer and helpful. I would rate their new site and customer service department at less than 1 star, if that was available.

So we joined AT&T in December and the experience had been the worst ever! I asked specific questions to multiple people at customer service as well as the people in the store before moving from Verizon to AT&T! I was assured by several people that I would get $650 per phone! I turned in 4 iPhone 6s phones and was told I would receive the rebate in 90 days!

We are now in July and I have tried several times to work this out with their customer service to no avail! Absolutely Ridiculous they sent me one card with $35.00 on it! The excuses I have had are absolutely absurd! I speak with AT&T and they tell me I need to speak with the rebate team. I speak with the rebate team and they tell me I need to speak with AT&T! I have been going back and forth now for months! I am now going to talk to a news channel since I have done lots of research only to find out many people have had this same complaint! If you have to switch phone companies go To T-Mobile or Verizon. At least when they say you will get a rebate you get the rebate!

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy phone and watch phone under contract in 2015. My watch phone battery quit working about 6 months later. I was going on vacation this June of 2017 and wanted to know if I could get a new battery since I hadn't use it in almost a year. The attached lady says that they could give me a new phone since I had insurances and they no longer make those watch phones anymore.

Long story short they change the number of the watch phone which I currently have and is paying under contract and cannot use. And gave me a new watch phone, charge me another new contract unauthorized and now I have a second contact which locks me in to attend for another 24. When I discovered what happened all I get from AT&T "I sorry, I see what has happened but you will still pay for a new contract and we will look into this matter." They also told me that "We're going to pull a new credit report." Which I didn't authorize it. But now I am checking into that as well. AT&T very untrustworthy.

I must tell the world about the terrible experience and the complete failure of AT&T. As small business entrepreneurs, our cell phone service is critical to our success and ability to work remotely. Over the last three months, AT&T has shut off my and my husband's cell service because of an erroneous bill of $952. They have drafted this amount from my bank account and kept it for two months after multiple attempts to resolve this error. While AT&T has refunded the money, apologized and said the issue was resolved, two weeks later, we were back to the same song & dance. They have shut off our cell phones two more times including this morning. Every time I have called to resolve the matter, I have start from the beginning of why the bill is an error.

I have been transferred to multiple departments and each time, I have to re-explain to the representative the reason for my call. This morning I was on the phone with three representatives for over an hour and the last rep I spoke to was Dina in the Philippines. Since my phone was shut off, I had to call AT&T via Skype and she hung up on me after telling me that a case was created to investigate the erroneous bill and I should hear back from AT&T within 7 to 10 business days. I'm DONE! AT&T IS THE HORRIBLE! 25 YEARS OF LOYALTY IS OVER!!!

I have applied for 2 times, this is another way to not give people what they offer, I submitted my application and my income that showed that I was eligible and still was denied, what more do they want. They do it and get back to you right before you are billed, I pay my bill on time every month, why are they advertising something they are going to give you. I have Lifeline and still was overcharged. I'm sick of being lied and told something different, it's a bunch of bull, don't get high speed now, it's bull. 13% only get what you pay for is true, my daughter try out my Internet speed and knows it's not what I am paying for. I'm planning on dropping both AT&T and DirecTV, it's nothing but a scam, simple. Their advertising is Misleading,

I am writing this email to your department, because I do not know who else to talk to. Last year I entered a contract with DirecTV to have the service installed in my house. I purchased the service at Walmart and was informed I qualified for a $200.00 Walmart gift card. To shorten a long story, I never received the gift card and have been told by the department that handles the gift card program, "I will not receive a replacement." I have been trying to straighten this situation out since April of this year. I have been on calls, on hold, in chat rooms in several departments and still no one can issue me a replacement card. I do not consider the way I have been treated, good customer service and will give Walmart, AT&T and DirecTV one more chance to make this right.

AT&T does not see a problem with charging another 135.46 for a billing date change. No matter how you explain the dates to me, I only care about the dollar amount I pay you a month. I pay around 180.00 for services, this last month paid 310.00, and next month will be another 180.00. They keep telling me about the bill cycle. I'm like "Can you add." Over 10 agents, 3 managers, complaint to BBB and still no complete resolution after getting a call today from Stacy **, Manager of Office of the President, to tell me that I was charged for the bill. I was told one bill would be higher because of the dates, so the compensation should come from the previous bill being much lower. The bills should total the same monthly amount regardless of the cycle days. RIP OFF!!!

Very stupid. I only get 2 gigabytes of data monthly then my phone is slow. I feel like I'm being punished like I'm grounded or something. Thank you AT&T for making me feel 14 again. I hate this limited data. It's crap and stupid. This company needs to go out of business. There's better companies that have unlimited data. Why can't you guys? You just take money from people and give them crappy ** limited service.

I was trying to gather wireless plan info for Canadian son going to study at US university this fall. Wow, trying to get information was absolute torture. Relentlessly put on hold, lied to, transfered to automated system only, given wrong numbers and purposely disconnected. Spent 2 hours yesterday and another 2 hours today with very useless reps. They said they couldn't access the website, couldn't tell me where on the site to go and then sent me to a newsletter site dated Feb. 2015. Verizon, T-Mobile and many smaller ones were so much better informed and actually interested in getting our business. Needless to say, not going with crappy AT&T. If that's how they treat a potential customer imagine how poorly you would be treated when you're a client!

Lied to get me back and didn't keep their word. I wasn't happy with the prices on my AT&T account, they went up. I told them I was going to switch to Sprint if they couldn't help me and they said "Then switch" even though I've been a loyal customer for 17 years. So I did. I was happy with Sprint because they were paying off my AT&T last bill and giving us 2 free iPhone 7's. When I called AT&T to find out when my last bill would be generated, they were very upset that I switched and was surprised that the agent let me go so easily. I was transferred to the get a customer win back department and they did everything they could to offer me amazing deals. It was so good, I couldn't pass it up. So I cancelled Sprint and returned my iPhone 7's and went BACK to AT&T.

AT&T set me up with the exact account I had before and the deal was nowhere to be seen. I called and spoke to many people in the customer loyalty department and spent 10 hours over 3 days on the phone. I know the person I spoke to and so do they but they keep coming up with excuses. Why would I switch back unless they were giving me a good deal? I even repeated it 5 times so the recording could hear the deal and they confirmed it 5 times. Her supervisor was also there confirming. They have told me 4 times that her supervisor would call me back. Never happened. I've been dealing with this for over a month. I am so stressed out!!! Everyone said they would fix it and no one could. No one would help me. Was this "bait and switch?" How could they lie like that to get me back and not follow through?

I spoke to Takesha ID# **, Maria ID# ** (sent an email to Katherine's supervisor - Katherine is the one that gave me the deal), Deserie ID# **, Tristan ID# **, Josh ** ID# **, 3 hr conversation, Charles **in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Jackson ID# **, Paige **, ID# ** porting department, Deserie ID# **. Case ID# **. The resolution date came and went. I spoke to each of these employees for hours and nothing was done. They won't even connect me to Katherine in the win back department to settle this. Now, they say they didn't record my call. They record all calls, why can't they find this one? I know the exact dates - April 24th.

I have been battling with AT&T for 2 weeks concerning charges over a bait and switch offer. I was informed that since I was such a "loyal" customer that I was eligible to receive a Samsung tablet for only .99. No strings attached and was not advised of $45 activation fee, 2-year contract, or $10 monthly additional line charge. I have been with AT&T for 20 years. I have spoken to a dozen customer reps and made 2 trips to AT&T stores.

At this point I have been lied to, patronized, and pretty much called stupid for not reading terms and guidelines for tablet. No one is willing to accept any responsibility for mistakes and misinformation. I spent 20 years in Customer Service and I don't think I have ever experienced such inadequate, mean, and outright rude customer service. I will switch provider as soon as contract term expires in March of 2018. I cannot understand their complete lack of concern for customers or "loyalty". Consumers are at an impasse because we all need cell service. I wish they would suffer some sort of fine or repercussions for their deplorable service.

I had been with this company for 12 years now. I decided to add the last two years of my service DirecTV and U-verse bundle package. I was told I can get all three of my services into one bill (Wireless, DirecTV, U-verse.) Unfortunately, this was not correct. I got my service shut off when I was out of town and I had a credit card on autopay so I was furious. Happily they did reverse the charges however it was a great inconvenience and this problem kept going on for a whole year. For 2017 myself phone bill goes up because I'm grandfathered into unlimited internet data. This month I just finally said I had enough and wanted to cancel my wireless service however, AT&T lag he gave me the runaround. They also were very rude to me and hung up on me several times. At this point in time I tell everybody stay away from them until they actually get their act together because obviously they do not have their act together.

After almost 10 years as an AT&T Wireless customer, they for whatever reason unblocked me & my husband's names from our wireless numbers and made them publicly listed without our consent or even notification. We were initially notified by a third party. I've spent 6 months repeatedly calling them, spending hours on the phone with zero resolution. I've spoken with no less than 20 different people in 10 different departments. No solution, and no effort to remedy the situation whatsoever. Except they asked if we wanted to change our numbers, that won't work. AT&T continues to violate our privacy. The saga continues.

My mother-in-law lives in Cannon, Kentucky and during the past several months she has been unable to use her call phone unless she is in Corbin. Why is that? My husband is paying for this service and we are not happy. She lives alone and this is not a good situation. Why does AT&T not have a tower in that area? When her sister comes to visit she has Verizon cell phone service and does not have any problems. This situation has become increasingly worse over the past several months. We have been with AT&T for many years and really do not want to have change cell phone service. We are hoping this may be resolved soon.

The customer service is horrible. No one does their job. Lots of mistakes, no one knows what's going on. I had to take two days off work because they made two different installation dates then Installed internet in my home that don't work. Said it'll be working in an hour. Here it is after 8 pm and it still don't work so I. Have to wait another day for someone to check it. SERVICE IS HORRIBLE, CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE. MY FIRST EXPERIENCE HORRIBLE.

After being with ATT for 7 years no problems until 2016 to July 2017 When I moved to Goldsboro NC. First I was a customer with ATT in Albany NY. Had some billing issues that were easily fixed. Now having billing issues. I was with ATT before the Addition of DirecTV. Move to an area that I could get DirecTV, it took 7 months to get the cell phone and DirecTV bills combined and the due dates to when I could pay them without being late. 7 months of it has been put together as one bill after talking to several reps and supervisors with the assurance they had changed it. DID NOT DO IT after stating that it was done and that they would be together on the next bill. Next bill came not together, more calls and more talking to supervisors still not done.

Finally, after 7 months and about 25 calls they put them together. Then I move to a place in Goldsboro where I could get their Internet too. Spoke to several reps and Supervisors again "It is put together." Still not done after 5 months and the date of the Internet bill is before I get paid my Social security benefit check that only come on a certain day of the month. Now I am being told that the bill can not be put together due to I have too many bill numbers with them. Not my fault that they chose not to combine the bills as their ads say. They still have not combined the last one so that they all are on one bill with a date that I can pay them and it will not always be late.

Went into the store to pay the bill and the rep called the main office with me standing right there. The person on the other end said the bills will never be combined because I have too many bill numbers with them. "Well why then did you tell me it would be combined?" I do not know what having so many bill numbers has to do with anything. When I called to get the Internet service the rep on the line told me they would be combined and that it was no problem. The date the Internet bill is due is before I get paid each month so it has to be late. It would not be an issue for me if they would make the due dates the same as the phone and TV bill dates 3 to 4 days after the latest date I get paid.

Also if I pay online or any other way but take it and give it to the rep in the store they want a $5 convenience fee each to pay the two bills. Not paying convenience fees because they refuse to combine the bills. They are not going to die from not collecting Extra convenience fee from me. I live on SSD and barely have enough money to pay all my bills. They can combine the bills as I was told they would or I am going to change companies too like many of the reviews I see here.

We were told we got buy one iPhone 7 get one "free." The bills were strange and were not following what the man said when we signed up. We did it because of free phone. Never told we had to wait 30 months before leaving. Had to pay almost $600 for my "free" phone. Add insult to injury, the same guy in Denver who sold us on this ad, was psychologically abusive and extremely personally rude to me when I wanted to pay off both phone and run somewhere else. He said he would throw me out of the store. For what? There is a camera to verify I was doing nothing.

I am older and never in my life have I been treated this way. Stay away from ATT, they are a bunch of liars who misrepresent the facts and then kick you when you are down. Too expensive too. Not worth the abuse and lies. Run run run away to any other company. This type of behavior that happened to me was inappropriate. I am a good person and I said not to fire the guy. I treat people good, or at least not petty full of ego. I wonder if he would have treated a man this way??? Run run run away from this big corporation that treats its customers and former ones with such contempt.

AT&T is worse in customer service. My billing cycle is from Feb 27th to Jun 6th and I paid my bill in middle of February month for 179. On Jun 6th I switched to different carrier and still they are charging me 27 dollar bill. I spoke with 4 different representative and they are all giving me various answer that what the bill is about. Even at the end I spoke with manager and he told me that "Sorry you do not need to pay a bill and we will take care of it." One month later, debt collector send me a bill. I called AT&T and ask them what happen, "You were going to take care of it and stupid people told me that there is nothing like that written in previous note." They are just ripping off their customer. Worse customer service.

I was told two months ago that they could lower our plan price by $30 (and give us less data). Yet here we are, two months later, and our plan price hasn't changed. I've called their customer service multiple times and been told conflicting information. But the bottom line is that they won't do anything. We are more than happy to go elsewhere as we can get unlimited data, but at this point it's the principle. AT&T clearly doesn't feel that it needs to be competitive, and they clearly don't care about their customers anymore. Stay away from them and go where you'll get the most bang for your buck.

AT&T has got the worst service and worst price. We have been using AT&T for a number of years now. At first, the service was good, but recently the service has become terrible. So we are leaving AT&T as a group now.

On Saturday June 30 2017, I went to the AT&T store in Covina, CA, located at Eastland Center. I spoke with Lauro or Lalo, My issue was my Apple iPhone 6s+ did not recognize wi-fi at all. I couldn't get in to my maps for directions, couldn't get my email, etc. He could not fix it, but he said I have 2 choices: I could start a claim online and send in my phone, or I could buy a new one. At first I was going to create a claim, but I can't be without my phone for work reasons. So I decided to buy a new iPhone 7+ since I have an upgrade available, and traded in my old 6s+ for an credit of $230. He told me if I needed anything, I had until the next day before my phone would be sent out. I asked what time they were open the next day, which was Sunday, and he told me they close at 8:00 on Sunday.

I left the store and had a friend set up iCloud to download my contacts. It wasn't until the next day that I realized I didn't have my photos. About the same time, I received a call from Lauro/Lalo to let me know again that my phone would be sent out, and if I needed anything. So I went back to the store again and spoke with Lauro/Lalo. He had me waiting quite a while while he was trying to transfer everything over. Then he said it wasn't working and he didn't know what to do to fix it, since my phone wasn't working when I brought it in. He was blaming my phone for the problem. So I decided to go to Apple. But he wouldn't let me leave the store without first paying him the price of the trade-in. So I gave him $230 cash, so I could take my old and new phones to Apple in Pasadena.

While I was on the way, the female salesperson from AT&T called me. She said they close at 7:00 and I needed to have my old phone back to them so they could complete the trade-in. I told her that Lalo told me they closed at 8:00. She sounded threatening when she said she would only be there by 7:30. Again I told her it was my understanding they closed at 8:00. I promised I would be there by 8:00.

At Apple they successfully downloaded my saved items from iCloud in just a few minutes. No problem or issue. It looks like Lalo didn't really know what he was doing! I have never had so much trouble buying a new phone from AT&T!!! When I returned, Lalo took my phone and gave me back my $230. When I left AT&T, I realized again that my phone would not recognize any wi-fi. So I went online and found an Apple specialist at Best Buy in City of Industry. He was able to fix the problem. I cannot believe how un-knowledgeable the sales team is at AT&T, Covina in Eastland Center are!!! All they wanted was my money for the sale, but didn't care about anything else!

I have Two Att wireless phones and my husband have an DirecTV account. On May 5th I paid $224.75 to Att wireless and placed it on my husband Direct Tv account. I notified them of the mistake and they kept sending me back and forth saying they both would take of the matter... On May 8th, my account was -224.75 from AT&T (Recurring Card Purchase 05/05 ATT*Bill Payment 800-2882020 Tx Card...)

att has sent me on so many runarounds since this happen. My bill is now 600.00 (which it shouldn't be). They said they reversed my account and placed the funds back into my account which they didnt. I even went to the bank and faxed them proof that they never reversed it to my account. Both of my phones are off and was told that I couldnt get them back on until the bill is due! I even took all my bank statements to one of the ATT stores on Lakeshore in Oakland and the Manager saw the bill and my statement and agreed with me and he called the finance department and they gave him the runaround as well... I even tried to go online to file a claim against them and chatted with one of the online person and they still gave me the runaround.

I've been with Cellular One, Cingular One, and Att since 1990 and this is how they treat a customer that has been with them for so many years! I'm still looking for ways to file a suit against them. I'm very disappointed. I've taken off work to solve this matter. I am planning to leave them and will never ever recommend them to anyone!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.
  • Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.
  • Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.
  • Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.
  • Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.
  • Best for AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Compare Prepaid Phones