AT&T Wireless

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I've been a loyal customer of AT&T for about 18 years. First I want to start with the fact that we now have to pay the full price of their overpriced phones whereas before they were subsidized. December of 2016 my LG G4 phone screen started to fizzle out for no apparent reason. I had the phone for 2 years so I figured I'd just upgrade to the LG V10. Again I had to make payments on the phone along with the monthly bill. Well 9 months after I bought the V10 the phone froze and wouldn't work. Never dropped either phone or exposed them to water.

I went to the nearest AT&T store in Vista, CA and told them my problem. The agent said he could give it a hard reboot. I said ok. The reboot didn't work. Next he led me to a landline and told me to talk to an agent on the phone. She said, "No problem we'll ship a refurbished phone out to you." I wasn't a fan of getting a refurbished phone to replace the one I'm still paying for. Reluctantly I agreed and she said you can get standard delivery or pay $14.95 to get it in 2 days.

She said as fast as they're sending them out I should get it pretty quick. So I went with the standard delivery. She said, "Look for an email being sent to you to confirm the warranty exchange." I looked for it that day and all the next day. So I called customer service to see what's going on. The agent said I needed to get on a website to confirm the warranty exchange. So I did all that. Then it said to expect the phone on September the 14th. I wasn't thrilled with that since my phone quit working on September 4. So the company they are using for their deliveries is called DHL.

Also it was hard for me to get on their website for some reason. I kept getting re-directed. But when I finally got on their site I noticed it said delivery date September 16th. Of course prolonging this ordeal of not having a phone that I'm still currently paying the service and finance for. For some reason as when I track the phone on the DHL website wherever it goes it seems to sit for 2-3 days. It did that in Texas and now in California. It almost seems intentional because I didn't pay the $14.95 to expedite the delivery. Any phone I've had in the past not work it was usually replaced the next day or on a rare occasion within 48 hours. This is just wrong.

The amount of money I've paid AT&T over the years and the loyalty I've given them and the amount of money they charge for the phones and the service I would expect better service than this. What they've done is lowered their standards of customer service while increasing the price. Today is the 13th and I'm still waiting for my phone. I am a very unhappy customer now and I will be looking at other carriers for future business.

I have been a long time customer with AT&T. Many years. We have everything with them - cell phones, internet, TV, home phone. Recently I was notified that a couple of promotions that they offered us were going to expire. This is normal. I usually have to call them every 6-12 months to check on my bill and see if they can lower my costs to help us out. In the past, they have been very helpful for the most part and worked with me to lower our bills. No more. I have been calling for 3 days now and always get passed to someone else who is supposed to be able to help me. Now if I want any discount that will help me, I have to sign a contract either for 12 or 24 months. I have not had a contract with AT&T for years and have stayed with them because they have always been able to do something for long-term, loyal customers that always pay their bill on time. We are VERY disappointed with AT&T and how bad their customer service has become.

We are going to leave AT&T internet, TV, and home phone service. The person that I just got off the phone with 10 minutes ago helped seal that decision. For those of you that don't mind contracts and can put up the lower level of customer service, you should stay. I have been considering cutting the cord for cable TV and now I look forward to doing so. It is very sad to see a good company go bad. AT&T - if you are listening, and I hope you are, you have just lost a loyal customer. My current impression is that you don't care.

In my 62 years, AT&T has been the worst customer service experience I have had with any company. I switched to AT&T wireless in June 2017 and immediately set up auto pay. Following both of the first two payments, I received a letter from AT&T stating my bill had not been paid. I called AT&T and in both cases I was told my bill had been paid on time through auto pay and to ignore the letters. Next, I received a phone call from a collection agency followed by a letter from the same collection agency. Again, AT&T said my monthly bills were paid on time and ignore the collection agency. After talking with the collection agency, I think it is a legitimate company. They are going to send a dispute to AT&T and I will see what AT&T does.

In my experience, AT&T as a company represents the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. I have talked with multiple customer service representatives and have received different answers to the same question. In one call, you will talk with someone in Kentucky and in the next call you will talk with a person in another country who has poor English language skills. I think the company is so large and many of the employees poorly trained that you receive incorrect information. I have AT&T internet, U-Verse TV, and wireless. The one good thing I can say is that AT&T has good wireless coverage, but everything else, especially the customer service has been the worst I have experienced. I would recommend that you look elsewhere.

I had to wait for 35 minutes and then the male who stated his name was Zach had to ask me three times what my phone number was. My wireless hot spot expires at the end of this month and he told me I had to wait until that certain date or I would have to pay the penalty. He couldn't even pronounce the word penalty. I could barely understand what he was telling me. He sounded very inexperienced. I couldn't remember my pass code and he couldn't even given me a hint, a small hint even. So I had to change that. He asked me for my phone number one more time before I hung up on him.

They have some very incompetent people working for them! I after being a customer since 1994, I am about to drop them as I can't get them to rectify overcharging billing charges.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

I have been trying to contact customer service for a week now. When I go to their website it crashes and states there was a "technical glitch" (yeah, no kidding!). I have called the customer service number, and when the system tries to transfer me to extension I need, I get hung up on. Seriously folks, is this hard? If a website and a phone system are this much of a challenge, how much does your TV and internet suck?

Originally signed up with at&t because Verizon doesn't have good signal where I was located for 5 months. AT&T did. But at&t couldn't guarantee me that my service would be as good in other parts of the state (SW Wyoming). I was assured that I had 14 days to check and make sure it was all good. However, the signal I had with at&t was so sporadic even going to Denver. I couldn't take the chance of "sporadic" or "good enough" signal in SW Wyoming. I cancelled my service with at&t within the 14 days and went back to Verizon. I called at&t and asked "Michael" at the call center if I could get my money back, he explained, "You CAN get 42.00 back since you didn't use it a full month and you're within the 14 days." Waited for a month and still no credit or check in the mail. I called at&t and asked the first rep where my refund was. Somehow I was disconnected.

I called back, talked to another rep, she said, that it'd been more than 72 hrs and there was nothing she could do. I asked her to let me speak with a supervisor, knowing that it wouldn't do me any good, but if I'm giving out $125.00 for nothing, I might as well get 24 minutes of time right?! Finally, supervisor gets on the line, she says the same thing, 72 hrs. I told her, "I wouldn't have 72 hours to go 300 miles just to check and make sure I'd have signal in SW Wyoming." I told her, "Why would Michael tell me that I would get 42 dollars and some change for service not used." She said, "I see here that he did submit it but it got declined because it'd been more than 3 days." (Looking for some sort of at least, empathy) I told her, after she was done trying to talk over me, "How would you feel if you gave someone 125.00 and was told less than 14 days later, huh." "Nothing I can do." No apology, no nothing! Basically, long story short? You know that fine fine print? Read it! Never will I do business nor recommend at&t for anything.

The combination of DirecTV & AT&T phone service was a ridiculous complicated procedure, but no problems since. Pricing is too high & when I added unlimited data nobody said I would lose phone discount on phone purchase.

This is the best company I have worked with. Customer service is great. Haven't had any trouble with our service. I would recommend AT&T to anyone that wants great service.

Love the company. Have been with them for 18 years, and never had a major problem with the company. Their customer service is why I stay and they are always finding ways to cut my bill.

The prices of AT&T are highly competitive and it's very rare that calls are dropped. The big downside is calling customer service and being on terminal hold. The chances of getting disconnected is pretty high in my own experience. If you want to go to the AT&T store, be prepared to get an appointment and possibly wait hours. The reps in person are very helpful at least.

Terrible coverage and limited service. When I travel around the state of Texas I am always running out bars. Ever since the 4G thing the covers has gotten worse.

I get no service from Verizon, but have two cell phones with AT&T and my home alarm system uses AT&T wireless instead of a landline. I also have a tablet with AT&T. The local AT&T outlet store is superb in service. I've had absolutely no problems in over 11 years with them.

I tried to use DIRECTV but it was not receptive in my area and never worked right. Ever since ATT bought them service was terrible. When I canceled I was harassed for months with phone calls and mail. They lied when I complained to the FCC and still won't take me off their mailing lists.

Switched over to AT&T iPhone because my niece said it was the best. I had another company and was more satisfied. I wish that I had not change. Pros and cons on each one.

I've been with AT&T since 1992 when they were CellularOne, then AT&T, then Cingular, then AT&T. I've never left them. There's no one better & they've rewarded my loyalty.

Have had a few dealing with AT&T. Call customer service and usually get switched around to two or three departments. One would tell me one thing and another something just the opposite. Agree on a price and they manage to increase my bill anyway.

AT&T has been a good wireless company for us. The service covers most places pretty well. Sadly though, the price we pay continuously climbs as I assume other companies do.

Their service is kind of spotty. When you call the people you get always have to transfer you to someone else, then you're on hold for a little longer.

So far AT&T has been a very good company, providing good service. I've found lately that we have many "drop calls". Also, their Cell phones cost is incredibly high, they run into the $600-700 dollars, for an item that will last just a couple of years at best.

We were told that ATT would be using US cellular towers but my reception is to be blunt horse **. I can't get a signal at work unless I wonder around like a goon. Please try better at getting me the service I deserve.

We feel they are definitely one of the more expensive carriers but we have been with them for approx 12 plus years. They have excellent customer service for the most part.

They scam you into buying their phones on a payment plan so they can make more $$ off of you. If you refuse the plan and buy the phone up-front they charge an additional "service fee" each month to use the phone you just purchased from them! Monthly plans are too expensive and they raise the price super frequently. Total rip off. They have no loyalty to their long time customers either.

A couple of months back my wife called AT&T, called to see if there was a way to lower our bill. In the process the rep on the other end of the phone asked how much we were paying for our current internet service. My wife told them and the rep excitedly said he could save us a ton of money by switching to their Uverse plan. Cable (with Direct TV), Internet, home phone, cell phones, etc. In all it was supposed to save us around $40 a month over what we were currently paying. AND we would have cable, something we hadn't in our house in a couple of years.

We signed up and lo and behold our bill was $80 over what they had promised us! We were actually paying more money than before with a MUCH worse internet connection. We called to complain and after speaking with four different reps were told that the promotion we had been promised NEVER existed. They acted as if we were stupid and just didn't understand. This company is CORRUPT. Their reps make promises they have ZERO intention of fulfilling, just to get you to sign up. We are in the process of canceling all of our services with them and switching to higher priced companies just to get away from AT&T.

I was with Verizon before for many years. Back to the Nextel PTT. Grandfather on the unlimited data. Verizon would not let me keep my plan. Though, I am with AT&T now. I did cut my cost in half. Though, for wireless, they all have the same dead spot. So, nothing new and nothing else to expect. Really, you think one is better than the other. NO! Same game they say this and that.

AT&T is a horrible company and has very poor service. They continue to bill for items they shouldn't and then when we speak to them about the issue, they cite we will see our credits on the next bill and we don't. Been calling about the same issue for months. Can't get away from them without paying more to buy out the contract.

The cost is too high for the service especially for someone like me who only uses a small amount of data each month. Sick of them adding fees and not doing what they say when I call them. Customer service used to be awesome, now it's average at best. Also, miss the free phone. I am getting ready to change companies. I do not recommend AT&T unless you have extra money to burn, stay away.

I really like AT&T except for the price. I feel they are just too expensive but I have been with them so long and have never had service with another company. It would cost me more to switch especially with deposits. Now that the companies are going unlimited I hope AT&T will become a better deal.

Expensive than other phone company and they don't believe the customer. The phone not working in some places but I can tell someone to use them. They better than others I think.

My bill with discounts are supposed to be 65.00 per month which is why I switched to AT&T. My bill since the very first bill has never been less than 80.00 per month and Customer service cannot fix this. They admit my bill should be 65.00 per month and tell me to wait for the next bill, which is 81.00. One phone, one iPad, 2 gig data, federal discount. I suggest getting your costs upfront, in writing with a weasel clause to the effect that you may cancel out without penalty at any time during the contract period if your bill exceeds the costs presented in writing prior to signing. If they are as honest as they say they are then they should have no problem with this.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.
  • Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.
  • Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.
  • Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.
  • Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.
  • Best for AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Compare Prepaid Phones