AT&T Wireless
1.71/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

AT&T Wireless

5685 AT&T Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

We bought ATT deal that give $800 credit when you add new line. After few months I call to see if I can get my iPhone 8+ unlocked so I can use it when traveling to different countries But I was told they can’t since it’s not paid up. Then rep tell me I can use some kind of SIM card or software to unlock it which can void phone warranty and by doing that ATT can blacklist my phone and send me bill for iPhone 8+. Stay away from this crooks unless you want to Waste your money and time.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We signed up with ATT when they offered the BOGO. TWO days later we realized that we’d made a huge mistake and returned our phones and dropped ATT service altogether. My husband's phone hadn’t even been opened and was returned in a sealed box, but we were still fine with paying the ridiculous restocking fee of $80. We went to Walmart and purchased two iPhones outright at a third of the price ATT charged. We got on with Straight Talk who has awesome and affordable service.

A month later we received a bill from ATT for $1870.00. After talking with ATT customer service at least eight times and for hours on end, and going into numerous ATT stores to resolve the issue, we are still stuck with this ridiculous bill (today, Sept. 22nd, they added another $80 to the bill in addition to the $1800.00). WE ONLY HAD ATT SERVICE FOR TWO DAYS! We’re at a point now where we have to contact our Public Regulation Commission TO HOPEFULLY get this handled. Both my and husband and I have had excellent credit and now this could all change because of THE INEPTNESS AND EGREGIOUS NEGLIGENCE of ATT. I have never dealt with such a company and I hope no one else has to experience this horrible ordeal in the future. I wasn’t going to give this joke of a company any stars, but I had to give it at least one star to send in this review.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

So I went to sign up for service in store and the man was having trouble with their new system of taking a picture of my driver's license so I proceeded to go home and try to do it online. My card number kept saying invalid number because my credit union blocked them because I had just bought the new watch outright earlier that day and they thought it may be fraud. My credit union called me and I cleared it up. By the time I went back in the system the only option was pay in full for the device because an application was done more than 5 times. They blocked me in the system for fraud. No one could even come to this conclusion though and all anybody did was take false guesses as to why the only option went from no down payment to pay in full (the checks ruined your credit smh).

They passed me around from department to department over the phone for 5 days and got nothing accomplished. No answers. No-one knew how to fix this. Even got told a supervisor would call me back and they never called so I went in the store to hear the same thing, "Oh we don't know how to fix this. Your only option now is to port both numbers in order to get no down payment." The man then proceeded to blame me for doing the application multiple times and made a smart remark, "well if you can't even give me your current account number to port your old number..."

I asked to speak to a manager and the man said, "Oh all he's going to do is tell you the same there's nothing we can do." To which he did and I told them, "If you guys don't fix this I'm just not going to give you guys my business and I will take my money somewhere else." To just have them look at me like so... So guess what I did? Went to Verizon and had no down payment for two iPhone XS Maxes. This experience was horrible and maybe it was a sign from God to stay away from AT&T!!! CUSTOMER SERVICE MATTERS.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have been a multi services customer since 2000. Wireless, DSL- now Uverse internet and Directv. Over these 18 years I have yet to hear any AT&T employee ever say, "I’m sorry we didn’t follow through on fulfilling a promised change to any number of requested changes" to my services. Any change usually (80 to 90%) takes multiple calls starting with their award winning king of the mountain Interactive Voice/digital Response system. While their overall customer services departments continue to lose ground to competitors their latest tactic is a false display of empathy and making an excuse for why a previous promise wasn’t filled. But rest assured the one promise they never miss is getting paid for their services whether they worked or not. Given a choice, choose a different provider. Your mental health is worth possibly paying a little more to avoid AT&T’ consistent poor service predicated on unfulfilled promises!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

On August 14, 2018 I signed up with AT&T. I signed up for two iPhone X under a BOGO promotion and I also signed up for a new phone number for my daughter's phone. I was told my first bill would be 186.68 (after auto pay) for the first three months. "I'm so excited to bring you back to our AT&T Family! Today we can get you hooked up with unlimited talk and text on the nation's largest and most reliable network. It's the perfect plan for streaming music and video, exploring social media and browsing the web. With the 5GB data you never have to worry about costly overages! Plus we're scoring you that awesome $10 discount for auto-pay and paperless billing! All that and it's only $186.68 for the first 3 bills, after 3 bills, it will be $163.34, if you enroll for autopay and paperless bill, it will be $153.34 each month. That is such a sweet offer!"

Today I got my first bill for 428.28 due by 10/6/2018. After spending 2 hours and 30 minutes on chat with two different people all I am being told is, "I'm sorry for the frustration you must be feeling." The rep should have mentioned the 90 dollars in activation fees. And this is also a bill for two months since I am signed up in advanced billing. So I was told my first three bills would be 186.68 which is what I expected to pay. I signed up after getting this information but now I'm finding out I signed up based on fraudulent numbers. There was never any mention of 90 dollars in activation fees. (They are sorry for this.) And there was never ever mention of having to pay two bills at once (they are sorry for this also). And then my next bill will be around 186.

How can a company have you sign a contract with them and be allowed to lied at the same time? They are unwilling to change anything about this bill even though they acknowledge they are wrong in how it's being handled. I am afraid that the 153.4 in the future is also a lie and I am afraid to sign up in autopay because then they will be able to take whatever they want, instead of what they promise. A representative should be held to higher standards and they would have to honor what their reps promise. I was signed up under fraud. I have no idea how I'm paying the 428 and they offer to split it in half, but that's still not excusing what I was signed up under. This is not a promising start to a contract with AT&T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have to called for same issue for 5 times include call and chat. "Don’t do that," they said and, "Don’t fix when I call." What a waste of money, just stay with your current carrier. This one don’t save money at all and worse customer service can imagine.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Their bills are so complicated, it's almost like they are counting on the fact that it's too difficult to understand, therefore you don't question the erroneous charges. I called several months ago due to being charged for a service contract I didn't approve. To fix this their customer rep offered a reoccurring credit on my bill. Several months go by where this credit occurs. Then it drops. When I called back, they claimed it never happened and they can't offer me this credit and now I'm stuck with a service contract I never approved. They claim the other service rep "should have" put a note in the computer system if they gave me a reoccurring credit. Now how would a customer know or could verify that something is inputted in their system. They claim they don't have a record therefore they can't honor what was agreed upon.

There was another instance where we purchased a month international calling pass for a flat rate. But when the bill arrived, we were charged the monthly plan, in addition to daily pass charges (every couple of days). They claim they didn't know we had the monthly plan... Yet they charged us for it. This took 3 months to resolve because they continued to charge us international day rate charges when we were back in the states.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Cell service quality is completely unacceptable... Terrible. Dropped calls, could not hear people or they couldn't hear me. It's the lowest that I have ever experienced. Customer service is non-existent. I was lead to products that did not perform as I was promised, specifically a wifi hotspot. I have to get a satellite service for home internet since the product did not do what I was told, by AT&T, it would do; run my internet speaker system. I was stuck with the device for the life of the contract, and we did not use it.

When I was canceling my wireless service, I requested and was told provided my final bill, which I paid on the spot. Since my business was done with them, I discarded further correspondence from them. But, I received a letter which I happened to open that said I was delinquent from the final balance (but I paid my final balance). The CS was unyielding and I was stuck with paying my final bill a second time (different amount). They provided me with one of my worst ever customer experiences in my life... Buyer, beware. You will regret ever speaking with them... Run, run fast and hard.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I've been an AT&T Wireless customer for over 20 years. Recently I received a bill for $546 on 9/10. One week later a received an updated bill for $1500. CS told me that my billing cycle had been changed, but they could not explain how my bill got this high. I was promised a call back by a supervisor that day. No one ever called me back. Called again, all I got was an apology for the inconvenience, but I still had to pay this bill. Customer Service means nothing to AT&T anymore. Also their "promotions" are nothing more than elaborate schemes to increase your monthly bill, which are impossible to understand, and to lock you into a contract extension.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I bought 3 Samsung Galaxy S7 phones between 11/2016 & 3/2017 on time with AT&T for $695 each. Already one had to be replaced and I had to pay a $112 deductible and another one is also having issues and will probably need to be replaced as well. How can AT&T and Samsung sell these phones for these prices and they don't even last until they're paid off and we have to pay a deductible to get a refurbished phone. That's unacceptable! I bought these 3 phones in good faith and I assumed that would last at least until they were paid off.

I was also told that the more claims I put in, the higher the deductible. So if I put in a claim for the 2nd phone, I'll have to pay even more. I went into AT&T and they really didn't seem too concerned and basically told me that now Samsung is up to the S9 so they really don't care about the S7 and what happens to them. I've been with AT&T for almost 20 years and the service is getting worse because they know people need phones and they really don't care.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Customer Service Dept. is deceptive and designed to make consumers give up. Made undelivered refund and inquiry promises on recorded calls. Ground level reps have no authority and are unable to connect you to their supervisors. They do not keep a history of previous calls. Spent 7 hrs 50 sec. with no solutions to the multiple errors on my account. Forget about dealing with store AT&T employees...they are only interested in sales...not service satisfaction. Deceptive practices at the least!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I am a business owner in Orlando FL and have had been dealing with AT&T business landline service for past 12 years! I feel like they are always taking advantage of me as I am sure many others have dealt with this as well. It seems every two years they are doubling my rate for one phone line and one fax line from a $199/month cost to most recently $391.76 for the same exact service! Last time I dealt with I had to sign up with a wireless tablet just to get my $199/month rate back. This past time now since a new competitor is available I was able to get 2 phone lines & fax for $90/month! Now I get a bill from them for $206.48 to close my account and I think they should credit me this since I have been getting taken advantage of for a long time. They should be ashamed of themselves for overpricing a small business owner and I will NEVER buy one of their products or services again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Accidentally overpaid my bill by thousand dollars in July. Here we are in September and I’m still trying to get a refund. Every time I call they tell me it’s pending. I even had my bank do a conference call with them, they said the money was on its way. This was back in August. 25 years I’ve been with AT&T. Unbelievable customer service. They don’t give a hoot about you. Hello Verizon!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I still don't have service after 16 days, with numerous calls to customer service, technical support, management, and anyone else that I can get on the phone or on chat. I've been promised follow-ups, spent days waiting for a tech to show up, none of which never happened. AT&T should be ashamed of how they treat their customers. If you are Rural, find another service provider, they will ignore you, lie to you, and just make you wish you had never dealt with them in the first place. They are possible the worst company to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

AT&T at Baileys Crossroads 9.17.18 @ 11:32am. Employee “Freddie” needs a crash course in Customer Service. His attitude is ** - especially if you are non-hispanic. He was all teeth & smiles when assisting the Spanish speaking customers. He pretended like he was deaf when I spoke to him in English. He had the nerve to snap at me. That’s why I’m writing this review. Freddie is a real **.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

AT&T has terrible customer service. It will enter you into contract that you don’t even agree to and then if you don’t realize it immediately they will not help you when you do realize it. Their cell coverage is very poor, most cheaper cell service is work or AT&T does not. I have five lines through AT&T and could not be any more dissatisfied. I will be finding a new carrier. I guess Verizon is all this lot that has great coverage and great customer service.

When I finally realize I was being charged for a device that I did not ask for, I asked them if it was ever use and they said no. When I asked them who authorized it all they could tell me was that it was sent to my business. They said they could not let me out of the contract until I found the device that I did not authorize, it has never been used, and has never been seen. If you’re looking for a company that cares about his customers AT&T is not the one for you. Perhaps if I researched the reviews this company has, I would never have gone with them. It is amazing how many people are frustrated with AT&T. I have never seen a company with so many negative reviews!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Signed up for BOGO 10 months ago. ATT still charging us for both phones. Nobody is willing to help. When I called the customer service people said they will submit a case but no one is trying to fix the problems. Stating we did not qualify for promo, which is we did. We upgraded 2 lines and even added a new one. But ATT keeps coming up with new excuses for why both phone installments are still showing on my bill. I've been a loyal customer for years, never late on the payments. But nobody is fixing anything. Be aware. They are just trying to make sale. Gonna forward everything to my legal team and let them deal with those crooks.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Wasn't AT&T part of the original Ma Bell? Those people who founded phone service? I have had AT&T cell service in some form (was Cingular) for almost 20 years. We lost cell service during tornado warnings in the middle of the night during Florence and did not realize we were getting no warning for a tornado headed our way because our cell service was out. Been without cell service for over 36 hours now. Our neighbors with Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint all have cell service. We lost AT&T internet on Thursday before the effects of Florence really even hit us. I am so unhappy with them and just incredulous!! Have had no internet for over four days.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I am thoroughly frustrated with ATCT's customer service or the lack thereof. This past Saturday, I spent 5 hours on the phone with them getting passed around the world, hung up on, on hold for over an hour, and then told in a recorded message that the office was closed. Now, it is Monday, and I'm trying to get the courage to start in again with them.

In August, I cancelled my home phone, and took insurance off my cell phones. First, I want to say that the insurance is a waste of money. My daughter had her iPhone 6 accidentally knocked off a table by a friend. I had bought them new from AT&T, so was paying monthly for them. I called about the insurance, and was asked to mail her phone to them. They sent her back a refurbished phone while I continued to pay for the new one. I was not happy, and told them so. Of course, they didn't care about that. The refurbished phone quit working last spring, so I just bought her an iPhone 8 outright --$700. My iPhone 6 is still working fine. So much for refurbished phones!

Of course, when you don't have a land line, your internet pricing goes up. I asked for a loyalty promo on the internet and the cost went from $61 to $50. My new bill for August came to $79 and change. I was told it should stay at that price. I get my bill for September -- $161.20. There were fees from June/July and July/August for internet making it almost $69. They had added almost $8.00 to each of our cell phones without explanation. That is when my 5 hour pass around began because I wanted an explanation. Of course, no one had any explanation.

The wireless people told me it was actually a decrease in cost. What? Do you think I'm stupid? My phone went from $50 to $58 from August to September. That is an increase! Now, the internet people said they would take the June/July and July/August fees off. I'm holding my breath that they actually have done that. The person who put me on hold for over an hour kept coming back on telling me that she was trying to find the right person to send me to. What I think she did was keep me on hold until her work shift was over. Then, she didn't have to deal with me.

I was sent to San Diego, U-verse -- we don't have U-verse in our area, combined billing, internet services, wireless phone, and then back to the original line I had called. I finally gave up on Saturday. The internet is not worth what we pay for it -- constant drop offs, slow speeds, and I have extreme! My bill has been rising each month. July was $192, and my cell phones have been paid off for some time now.

I have been with AT&T for very long time, and I don't understand why loyalty doesn't mean anything to this company. You get better deals as a new customer. I am a retired widow on a fixed income -- and it's a nice one. I don't know how people make it who didn't plan for retirement. It is shameful that this is happening in the United States of America. The greed of large companies like AT&T is unbelievable. I would get rid of internet and wireless altogether with AT&T if my daughter was not in college. I need to be able to communicate with her. I'm looking at other options, but honestly, I really don't see anything better right now. So, now, I guess I will get back on the phone with AT&T for another 5 hour run around.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had an awful experience in the store and company in general. I was told I was going to received a bill and it was a lot more. I returned both of my phones within the 7 days of the purchase and the company is charging me the entire month 290$ for 2 phones I only used 7 days. I had to call 3 times to cancel the service, they don’t do any of this at the stores. The experience has been an absolute nightmare. After this, I am also canceling my internet service with AT&T. Very disappointed. Very unprofessional.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Your disconnect fee is waived 3 times, after disconnect, your bank account is pilfered for the same and an extra month's billing. Returned as a credit with no way to recover, no reps, no AT&T office lie.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

The sales person give untruthful information, trick customer sign on the sales. When I called the customer service people said they will submit a case but no one is trying to fix the problems. Until now we still have phone did not connect when people calling.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

There is no honesty and integrity. I call customer service to add a line to my wireless plan. Customer service did not explain fee on upgrade also they told me that will remove activation fee but they did not. This is not way to do business. I am with them over 6 years. I am planning to move to different company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have international roaming charges from going overseas. I arrived back in the US and called AT&T customer service. They transferred me to their international billing department. The customer service representative promised me he would note an "adjustment" to the bill. After a month later, I received a bill close to $600. I contacted their customer service department and found out he forgot to type in an adjustment number and that I have to pay in full. The charges are valid, but after promising me an adjustment, I had no idea they were going to charge me in full. An AT&T customer service representative typo just cost me hundreds of dollars. I am looking for another service provider and also get as many people to join me and do the same. Look for a better phone service provider.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I was going to switch to AT&T, I ordered the phones, then the same day-actually a couple hours later decided to cancel the order. They said the order had not shipped so we could do that. A few days later the phones came!! We tried to take them to 3 different stores, they wouldn't take them, said we had to mail them. So I did. I took them to the USPS and put them in the dropbox. So now they are trying to say that they didn't receive them and charge us $2200!!! I am livid right now!!! This same same happened to me with Comcast a few years back. What is up with these companies?!? They can track the phone itself any other time, but when it comes to ripping a consumer off, they aren't going to do no such thing. So how do I prove I sent these back? This has been an ordeal trying to get these damn things back! What can I do? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

If you are reading this review, do not use their services. I enlisted in their mobile phone service and it came with a free tablet, only had to pay an extra 10 dollars so I can share data with the tab from the mobile phone. I did automated payment but my bill would increase indiscriminately, I called them and they claimed that I made an international call, which I did not, this happened multiple times. I switched to a better provider 2 months ago, after paying off my phone, but they are still billing me monthly. PLEASE, DO NOT PATRONISE THEM, THEY WILL STEAL YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

This is a very frustrated customer who have had a bad experience with this services along with bad experiences with customer service and technicians. At this point the only thing I can do is to contact the corporate office to file a complaint and to contact the Consumer Affairs division to put this company on blast. How I am being treated for services I am paying for is totally unacceptable and would like for someone in their corporate office to reach out to me to further discuss. Totally frustrated customer at this point. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We've been with AT&T for so long. And we signed up for auto pay and paperless statements. "Don't ever do that". You don't know what they would charged you if don't pay close attention to your bill. So today I Spend almost 2 hours on the phone with the customer service. Find out that I was paying for phone insurance for over 4 years that I never signed up for at the first. Long story short I won't be with AT&T for too long.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have been getting ridiculous bills from AT&T every month since I got a phone from them in May 2018. I had enough and decided to pay off the phone on Monday 09/03/2018 and was told I can unlock the phone once the system gets updated within 24/48 hours. The system was updated and I confirmed with the customer service of AT&T and they confirmed I have paid off my phone. My AT&T app also confirms that my contract has been fulfilled. This is the 10th day since I have paid off my phone and I cannot still unlock my phone, I cannot switch to another network, I am being forced to stay with AT&T and keep paying their outrageous bills even though I have paid off the phone. I have been to the AT&T store 3 times. In both Austin and San Marcos.

I have called customer care at least 50 times. I have spoken to supervisors of these customer care agents. Everybody keeps shifting blame to other departments. One customer care agent told me to go to a store and I went in. The store manager and the customer care agent together could not solve the problem. They have filed multiple cases and given me multiple references numbers but to no avail. I feel deeply dissatisfied and I feel helpless and I feel like because AT&T is such a big company they are doing this on purpose and purposely extorting money from me against my will. What they are doing is criminal and Illegal.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Got an unlimited plan. Was told I was to have a personal hotspot with my phone. Later called to ask why I did not have a hotspot, and was told I had to get a different plan in order to get my hotspot. Next was told if I got DirecTV would get a 100 dollar reward, NEVER GOT IT! Another disappointment was when they raised my bill $20 more and was told, If I enroll in paperless billing they would give me a discount... That was a bunch of lies! Just to save you money and time. Do NOT GET AT&T! The worst customer service experience!

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.

• Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.

• Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.

• Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.

• Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.

• Best for: AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs