AT&T Wireless
1.72/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

AT&T Wireless

5670 AT&T Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

AT&T at Baileys Crossroads 9.17.18 @ 11:32am. Employee “Freddie” needs a crash course in Customer Service. His attitude is ** - especially if you are non-hispanic. He was all teeth & smiles when assisting the Spanish speaking customers. He pretended like he was deaf when I spoke to him in English. He had the nerve to snap at me. That’s why I’m writing this review. Freddie is a real **.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Signed up for BOGO 10 months ago. ATT still charging us for both phones. Nobody is willing to help. When I called the customer service people said they will submit a case but no one is trying to fix the problems. Stating we did not qualify for promo, which is we did. We upgraded 2 lines and even added a new one. But ATT keeps coming up with new excuses for why both phone installments are still showing on my bill. I've been a loyal customer for years, never late on the payments. But nobody is fixing anything. Be aware. They are just trying to make sale. Gonna forward everything to my legal team and let them deal with those crooks.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Wasn't AT&T part of the original Ma Bell? Those people who founded phone service? I have had AT&T cell service in some form (was Cingular) for almost 20 years. We lost cell service during tornado warnings in the middle of the night during Florence and did not realize we were getting no warning for a tornado headed our way because our cell service was out. Been without cell service for over 36 hours now. Our neighbors with Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint all have cell service. We lost AT&T internet on Thursday before the effects of Florence really even hit us. I am so unhappy with them and just incredulous!! Have had no internet for over four days.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I am thoroughly frustrated with ATCT's customer service or the lack thereof. This past Saturday, I spent 5 hours on the phone with them getting passed around the world, hung up on, on hold for over an hour, and then told in a recorded message that the office was closed. Now, it is Monday, and I'm trying to get the courage to start in again with them.

In August, I cancelled my home phone, and took insurance off my cell phones. First, I want to say that the insurance is a waste of money. My daughter had her iPhone 6 accidentally knocked off a table by a friend. I had bought them new from AT&T, so was paying monthly for them. I called about the insurance, and was asked to mail her phone to them. They sent her back a refurbished phone while I continued to pay for the new one. I was not happy, and told them so. Of course, they didn't care about that. The refurbished phone quit working last spring, so I just bought her an iPhone 8 outright --$700. My iPhone 6 is still working fine. So much for refurbished phones!

Of course, when you don't have a land line, your internet pricing goes up. I asked for a loyalty promo on the internet and the cost went from $61 to $50. My new bill for August came to $79 and change. I was told it should stay at that price. I get my bill for September -- $161.20. There were fees from June/July and July/August for internet making it almost $69. They had added almost $8.00 to each of our cell phones without explanation. That is when my 5 hour pass around began because I wanted an explanation. Of course, no one had any explanation.

The wireless people told me it was actually a decrease in cost. What? Do you think I'm stupid? My phone went from $50 to $58 from August to September. That is an increase! Now, the internet people said they would take the June/July and July/August fees off. I'm holding my breath that they actually have done that. The person who put me on hold for over an hour kept coming back on telling me that she was trying to find the right person to send me to. What I think she did was keep me on hold until her work shift was over. Then, she didn't have to deal with me.

I was sent to San Diego, U-verse -- we don't have U-verse in our area, combined billing, internet services, wireless phone, and then back to the original line I had called. I finally gave up on Saturday. The internet is not worth what we pay for it -- constant drop offs, slow speeds, and I have extreme! My bill has been rising each month. July was $192, and my cell phones have been paid off for some time now.

I have been with AT&T for very long time, and I don't understand why loyalty doesn't mean anything to this company. You get better deals as a new customer. I am a retired widow on a fixed income -- and it's a nice one. I don't know how people make it who didn't plan for retirement. It is shameful that this is happening in the United States of America. The greed of large companies like AT&T is unbelievable. I would get rid of internet and wireless altogether with AT&T if my daughter was not in college. I need to be able to communicate with her. I'm looking at other options, but honestly, I really don't see anything better right now. So, now, I guess I will get back on the phone with AT&T for another 5 hour run around.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had an awful experience in the store and company in general. I was told I was going to received a bill and it was a lot more. I returned both of my phones within the 7 days of the purchase and the company is charging me the entire month 290$ for 2 phones I only used 7 days. I had to call 3 times to cancel the service, they don’t do any of this at the stores. The experience has been an absolute nightmare. After this, I am also canceling my internet service with AT&T. Very disappointed. Very unprofessional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Your disconnect fee is waived 3 times, after disconnect, your bank account is pilfered for the same and an extra month's billing. Returned as a credit with no way to recover, no reps, no AT&T office lie.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

The sales person give untruthful information, trick customer sign on the sales. When I called the customer service people said they will submit a case but no one is trying to fix the problems. Until now we still have phone did not connect when people calling.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

There is no honesty and integrity. I call customer service to add a line to my wireless plan. Customer service did not explain fee on upgrade also they told me that will remove activation fee but they did not. This is not way to do business. I am with them over 6 years. I am planning to move to different company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have international roaming charges from going overseas. I arrived back in the US and called AT&T customer service. They transferred me to their international billing department. The customer service representative promised me he would note an "adjustment" to the bill. After a month later, I received a bill close to $600. I contacted their customer service department and found out he forgot to type in an adjustment number and that I have to pay in full. The charges are valid, but after promising me an adjustment, I had no idea they were going to charge me in full. An AT&T customer service representative typo just cost me hundreds of dollars. I am looking for another service provider and also get as many people to join me and do the same. Look for a better phone service provider.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I was going to switch to AT&T, I ordered the phones, then the same day-actually a couple hours later decided to cancel the order. They said the order had not shipped so we could do that. A few days later the phones came!! We tried to take them to 3 different stores, they wouldn't take them, said we had to mail them. So I did. I took them to the USPS and put them in the dropbox. So now they are trying to say that they didn't receive them and charge us $2200!!! I am livid right now!!! This same same happened to me with Comcast a few years back. What is up with these companies?!? They can track the phone itself any other time, but when it comes to ripping a consumer off, they aren't going to do no such thing. So how do I prove I sent these back? This has been an ordeal trying to get these damn things back! What can I do? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

If you are reading this review, do not use their services. I enlisted in their mobile phone service and it came with a free tablet, only had to pay an extra 10 dollars so I can share data with the tab from the mobile phone. I did automated payment but my bill would increase indiscriminately, I called them and they claimed that I made an international call, which I did not, this happened multiple times. I switched to a better provider 2 months ago, after paying off my phone, but they are still billing me monthly. PLEASE, DO NOT PATRONISE THEM, THEY WILL STEAL YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

This is a very frustrated customer who have had a bad experience with this services along with bad experiences with customer service and technicians. At this point the only thing I can do is to contact the corporate office to file a complaint and to contact the Consumer Affairs division to put this company on blast. How I am being treated for services I am paying for is totally unacceptable and would like for someone in their corporate office to reach out to me to further discuss. Totally frustrated customer at this point. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We've been with AT&T for so long. And we signed up for auto pay and paperless statements. "Don't ever do that". You don't know what they would charged you if don't pay close attention to your bill. So today I Spend almost 2 hours on the phone with the customer service. Find out that I was paying for phone insurance for over 4 years that I never signed up for at the first. Long story short I won't be with AT&T for too long.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have been getting ridiculous bills from AT&T every month since I got a phone from them in May 2018. I had enough and decided to pay off the phone on Monday 09/03/2018 and was told I can unlock the phone once the system gets updated within 24/48 hours. The system was updated and I confirmed with the customer service of AT&T and they confirmed I have paid off my phone. My AT&T app also confirms that my contract has been fulfilled. This is the 10th day since I have paid off my phone and I cannot still unlock my phone, I cannot switch to another network, I am being forced to stay with AT&T and keep paying their outrageous bills even though I have paid off the phone. I have been to the AT&T store 3 times. In both Austin and San Marcos.

I have called customer care at least 50 times. I have spoken to supervisors of these customer care agents. Everybody keeps shifting blame to other departments. One customer care agent told me to go to a store and I went in. The store manager and the customer care agent together could not solve the problem. They have filed multiple cases and given me multiple references numbers but to no avail. I feel deeply dissatisfied and I feel helpless and I feel like because AT&T is such a big company they are doing this on purpose and purposely extorting money from me against my will. What they are doing is criminal and Illegal.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Got an unlimited plan. Was told I was to have a personal hotspot with my phone. Later called to ask why I did not have a hotspot, and was told I had to get a different plan in order to get my hotspot. Next was told if I got DirecTV would get a 100 dollar reward, NEVER GOT IT! Another disappointment was when they raised my bill $20 more and was told, If I enroll in paperless billing they would give me a discount... That was a bunch of lies! Just to save you money and time. Do NOT GET AT&T! The worst customer service experience!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Allows my account to be compromise by allowing someone who received a text who didn't text that person. It's a breach of confidentiality. It's not fair to the consumer. No one should be able to receive text from one who didn't text them and this type of system shouldn't be set up if I didn't do it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

If I can give no stars I would l. Very frustrated with this service. I called to start a new plan and was approved and paid only phone taxes. When I went to find order status of the phone being shipped out it was canceled and I was not notified. Went to store, they ran my credit 6 times and then it said pay in full. No one knows what they are doing. The stores and customer services are on 2 different pages and contradict each other. Absolutely worst. I would never recommend to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

It all started when the internet went down. Red light on the service box. I followed the steps with tech support to no avail so they scheduled an appointment for the following day. I sit and wait from 4-8pm never hearing a word from AT&T. I go on to the live chat for instant service after the appointment time had come and gone. An agent told me that the technician was running behind but that I was next. I agreed to wait and I did by 10 pm with no word from AT&T I gave up. I called the next morning and a technician was dispatched right away between 8-12. When he arrived he was far more fascinated with my movie collection than with checking the modem. When he found it was not, as originally diagnosed, the modem but the lines outside.

However he told me his ladder wasnt tall enough to reach. He then told me it was someone else's department and left. Later indeed a different truck was tending to the lines on the other sides of the street. ALL FIXED RIGHT? 3 weeks later the internet goes down again I repeat my steps and go to live chat. They tell me I need a new modem. It will be sent to me by the next day. Three days later I still dont have it. I go to live chat and am almost immediately sent to a supervisor (without notice the supervisor just appeared in the chat). He tells me that my order was delayed and I should have received a notice. But a technician can come to me tomorrow or I can wait until... he doesnt know. Also I should know for the future orders take several days to arrive. So still without internet. I bet they'll still want their money for the whole month and without delay.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I travel to Thailand and when I am there do not answer my phone. I get many telemarketing, robo-calls even though I have blocked, no call list, etc. Nothing works. Every time the phone rings when I am out of the country even though I do not answer it I am charged $3.00. This month the charge was $96.00. Every time I go I am charged for these calls. They tell me that I am to take out a $10 plan per day or $60 per month for international roaming. They do not understand I do not want these calls. I use the phone to text only at 50 cents per text. This time they gave me $25 back on the unwanted calls to nobody.

I have left AT&T for another company. AT&T truly doesn't understand that I should not have to pay for unwanted calls. I make sure I never answer while out of the country. The company I was with before did not charge me anything for the same situation. Heads up to all you International travelers... find another carrier which I did today for only $50 per month unlimited talk, text, data and international calls.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We had the worst customer service experience we've ever had in our entire lives simply trying to get internet installed at our new apartment. We ordered the service a week in advance and the day came for the order and nobody came. We were not contacted. I had to call customer service to figure out what was going on. After a lengthy conversation I found that the technician had seen that a service was already active (the last tenant had not canceled) and just left it at that. The customer service rep then told me I had to verify my address by going to addressver.att.com. That website doesn't exist. It's actually an e-mail address, but we'll get there. I called customer service a 2nd time and this rep told me I didn't need to verify my address. She would just reach out to the existing account and try to cancel it. If that owner could not be reached, she said she would reach out to my landlord and confirm. So I waited for that to happen.

The next day, I was contacted by a third rep, acting like none of that had happened and telling me I needed to verify my address. I asked why the landlord hadn't been called and she had no idea what I was talking about. I gave her all the necessary info again and she said she would call. She never called back, so the next day I reached out to customer service again (a 4th time now, a full day after we were supposed to have internet installed already). This person confirmed I needed to verify my address to the e-mail address "addressver". So I waited on the phone for an hour while this was done. This customer service rep assured me the previous account was canceled and that a new service order had been placed for the coming Monday. Monday (yesterday) arrived and we got an unintelligible call from an AT&T rep. Couldn't understand what he was saying or the call back number which he said very fast and in a heavy accent.

So I called customer service the 5th time to see what was going on where they told me there was no order scheduled. My wife and I then spent the next 5 hours hearing ridiculous claims and excuses for non-existent problems. The "supervisor" we were put in touch with claimed there were several contradictory issues, like that our account had been canceled instead of the previous owner, or that we gave the wrong address, or most ludicrous of all, that it was our responsibility to contact the last tenant and make sure he canceled his service.

We started to request a discount or something to make up for the numberless inconveniences (my wife works from home, so it seriously hurt her business) and the supervisor had the audacity to offer us the quote we were given in the first place as a "discount." After the most infuriating customer service experience of our lives, we canceled AT&T and got Spectrum internet installed in our apartment the same day, nearly a full week after AT&T was supposed to have done it, and at a cheaper price too. Truly, utterly astonishing incompetent customer service.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

AT&T is not the company it used to be. Whatever changes have occurred internally has transformed them into pure garbage. Their services for TV, internet and digital phone are sporadic at best and their advanced technical service division known as - 'last chance repair' (can't make this stuff up) is a joke. I even experienced their internal in-fighting about how to fix the problem. It didn't matter because the problem was never fixed. The only other technical service they provide comes from foreign countries like China, Philippines and Mexico. If you can understand broken English from a voice synthesizer (to make it sound like an American) then AT&T is the service provider for you.

Their promotional jargon claims the services are great and the customer is most important? It doesn't take very long before you learn this is a bunch of crap. They expect you to honor the contract and pay the monthly bill however, when it comes to delivering their services, it's a different story. They consider you the problem when you speak up and complain about not getting the contracted services. All this behavior are acts of a company that is grossly mismanaged and very desperate. You may want to think twice before doing business with them. I know I made this mistake.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

AT&T recently offered me a new plan -- reduce my data from 6 to 5GB and credited me for a month, then starting to bill me more. I contacted AT&T on their website and chatted with 6-7 different people & got 1 call. Each of them ended with "I am on the wrong department, let me transfer you to another person", I wasted 2 hours but at the end, nothing is resolved. Crazy!!! Unreliable! I want to straighten out my bill and credit me for the overcharged.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I went into the store to ask if they can repair my phone, mostly for help. They said “yeah file a claim. We don’t fix in store." They really made me feel inferior and like I was being judged being that the lady said it with a very snobby attitude. Will be switching to Verizon. Save yourself.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I have been with AT&T Wireless for a lot of years. I currently have 5 lines on my plan for which I was supposed to pay $276 a month. Do yourself a favor, keep the number of phones down to as few as possible on your contract. We kept on having one person or another breaking their phone, and we had to keep on expanding our 2 year contract. I am currently paying $480 a month to AT&T and you want to know something. Their customer service does not give a damn that I am paying over $5000 a year for my phone service. I used to have AT&T internet and DirecTV. Their internet was horrible. I was never able to do work from home, which is one of the main reasons for me to have the internet. The speeds were horrible if you wanted to download things.

DirecTV was just as bad. They hooked me up. We lost service every time there was a storm, and finally when the service got so bad we called them in, and their service persons suggestion was that we needed to cut down the trees not only on my property, but my neighbor's. We got rid of DirecTV and went with cable. When they were installing cable, the guy that was installing the cable showed me a wire that was sticking up out of the ground and looked like it was cut almost all the way through. When I asked him what it was, he said it was the wire that DirecTV had used to connect the service to my house. He also said that they are notorious for not taking care of their lines, and that was probably what was causing the problems I had with DirecTV. In summary, AT&T never sticks to what they promise, their customer service and repair departments are horrible. Try someone else first!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I recently signed up for a phone, TV and internet bundle with ATT. I was told that I am getting a FREE Samsung Tablet to keep just for signing up. I still was concerned if this statement was legit so I called ATT a few days later to make sure that I was not going to pay a penny on it since I did not ask for it in the first place. The rep assured that I was not going to pay anything on it. Now I receive this bill with $19.70 in wireless charges for using the tablet and a 24 month contract on it. I have not used this tablet in a Month and if my kids did, it was using the internet at home.

I called ATT complaining about the additional charges. I told them I don’t want to keep the tablet and they can have it. They said it would be a $150 to get out of the contract on the tablet. A $150 to get out of contract on a $199 tablet that you did not sign up for in the first place!! I have been on hold with a rep to talk with the supervisor for an hour and Was told that he is still busy and will call back. They shove a free tablet on you in the beginning. They don’t talk about any contract on it. Then you are stuck for 24 months making payment on a wireless charge that you did not opt in for. BE CAREFUL. For me this matter is still unresolved.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

AT&T is a terrible company to deal with. I talked to a customer rep 2 months ago to cancel my internet service because they raised the rate while offering deals to new customers. I got a confirmation number and thought the matter was settled. Still I got a bill in each of the last 2 months since canceling. When I called the customer service number I was put on hold multiple times for a combined 1 and 3/4 hrs. Each time the rep said it was a matter they couldn't help me with and they need to transfer me. In addition they said there were notes that there was no cancellation. Finally the last representative was able to help me but said I had to return the modem although the rep from 2 months ago assured me I didn't need to return anything.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Around April 2018 I called AT&T to see how much for an unlimited data. They said they will transfer me to loyalty department for best deal since I am using AT&T for 8 years, loyalty department said they will offer me a plan for $160 for unlimited data every month plus tax. I was like, "Okay how much tax gonna be like $30 more." So I said yes to the offer. The next month I saw the bill was of $465. Crazy, so I called AT&T again. They apologize for, said, "You will get credit next bill," so I was like, "Okay let's give them another chance." So I paid $465 and waited for credit, but no credit next month and the bill was of $365 now at this point. I again called AT&T. They said something went wrong but they promise to be fixed this issue in next billing period so I paid $365 and waited next bill and the next bill was of $378. I was like, "Damn," so I called AT&T again.

Now I was been calling them every billing cycle for the same issue and they been promising me of fixing next month every time but nothing was fixed and I ended up paying crazy prices. Now I have changed from AT&T to T-Mobile. Also my other family members and friends have changed from AT&T to T-Mobile and very happy with the service. AT&T have lost business of 7 accounts of almost 26 lines.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

From my second bill (2 years ago) to now (9/8/18) my experience has been nothing but STRESSFUL. FOR A PHONE!! I am 26 years old, with student loans, rent, not the best job, car payment, car insurance, I don't need a $500.00 phone bill every month... FOR TWO PHONES! Every bill was different, every customer service rep told me different things when I spoke to them about the SAME issues. Every month my bill went higher and higher. Nothing was done for me! I recently closed my AT&T account and I am still paying $936.00.

Please, it's a phone. Go with a better company, somewhere that doesn't drop your calls, or disconnect you with your wifi. I should not be worrying this much about a cell phone. I am so happy I switched. Since the move, I have NOT had any surprises. My bill is the same every month. I haven't dropped a single call AND I always have wifi. Not to mention, I have extra money in my own pocket (my own hard earned money) that doesn't have to go to a crappy phone. Stay away from AT&T.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

When calling to have the company stop drafting my account for a contract the previous owners signed, not only did they refuse to credit back my account but threatened to charge me the early termination fees. Needless to say, my bank will be handling it now, congratulations AT&T on your being blocked from my account!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I had service with AT&T in 2017 for Internet/TV. In November 2017, I moved to a different home which had TV Cable included with the rent. So I decided to cancel the TV service with AT&T and only keep the Internet. I understood that by doing so, I would have to pay off the rest of the TV contract. (Which I was okay with, and willing to pay.). However, when I received my bill, there was a $300 “TV Service Install” on my bill. Why was I getting an extra charged for a “TV Service Install” when I had cancelled my TV service? I called AT&T literally DOZENS of times. Every time I called, I was transferred to multiple departments, multiple “managers”, and just when I think I’m about to find a solution or someone who could help me… I get hung up on over the phone.

There was even one gentleman who claimed that it was all a mistake and that AT&T actually owed me money… and then when I asked for a his name and some sort of proof for that to be true, he hangs up on me. I had no problem with paying AT&T what I owed them, but I wanted to be charged the fair amount of what I owe and not be charged for something I shouldn’t be charged. It’s robbery. By this point, I’m calling the company very frustrated to the point of tears and I just kept getting transferred from person to person with no solution. So I gave up, and they sent me to collections. I am disgusted with AT&T’s service and will never be one of their customers again.

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.

• Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.

• Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.

• Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.

• Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.

• Best for: AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs