AT&T Wireless
1.45/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

AT&T Wireless

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

5889 AT&T Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

It's such ** company that I have no words for. Their people lost my phone that I have returned and they charged me around $1000 for that. I told them so many times before it reached to that point and by the end of the they did the same what was excepted from them. I am switching to another network ASAP and will NEVER EVER IN life will let any of my relative and friends recommend that. Hate them so much and I wish them worst of the worst.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

The BOGO offer was initiated in February 2018. The offer was never applied to my account and this was brought to ATT's attention in March 2018. In November 2018 I contacted them for a credit (credit close to $300) of the charges since March 2018. I continuously am put on hold or transferred and once the credit finally appeared on my account it was rejected internally and I am now showing a past due balance of the credit amount + a late fee of $5.75. ATT says they will research and call back, but mark your calendars because they do not call back. The customer must call them!

Another call (over 10 hours total in calls with ATT) was placed and no one was in the department to explain why the credit was not reversed and not able to explain why the monthly BOGO charge for a "free phone" was still being included in the invoice. So ATT is now attempting to bill me with the refund credited to my account + a service fee + BOGO phone (still). Advice to anyone considering ATT BOGO offers...DO NOT DO IT! This is going into its second year of nightmare reconciliation with a non-existent loyalty department. This long-time ATT consumer does not recommend ATT to anyone anymore and will be moving on after they provide me with my credit!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I’ll start from the very beginning: I decided to leave Sprint and transition to AT&T because I had internet with them and was told I was eligible for discounts. I got the phones with my ex but one month in he refused to pay his portion of the bill. I am in Georgia, he is in Texas, I had no way to contact him because I disconnected the phone he had. I reported the phone stolen and a rep changed the phone to a tablet on my account so that I wouldn’t be responsible for it, that should’ve been red flag number one.

After two weeks without my phone(s) I paid my past due bill Thanksgiving Day and had to wait for the following Friday to speak with someone to restore my service. I was then told my account became past due on the 21st for a NEW bill...it had only been 3 days so I asked to get a promise to pay for the following week, the guy told me yes but my service won’t be restored until the balance was paid. I called a week later because I got an email that my balance was $1,512 past due... I kid you not.

Mind you my account was 3 months old and I only had one bill past due for $252. I asked where the $1,200 came from and they told me I lost the buy one get one promotion after I reported the phone stolen and had to pay the installments on BOTH phones. I asked what exactly could I do to resolve the issue and the rep said to reactivate both phones. I had to get the police involved to get my phone back from Houston. I got it back and called to note to my account that I did indeed have both phones, they told me I had 59 days to pay the past due balance of $252 or they would send me to collections for the entire balance of $1,512. I called 49 days in to pay the $252 balance and requested an email stating that that was indeed the agreement.

I was THEN told my service couldn’t be restored until I paid a $188 U-verse balance which was extremely odd as their contract states if you cancel service and move where U-verse is not accepted or already being used you are not charged a cancellation fee. I gave my new address and stated my mom already had U-verse in the home. I was so frustrated at this point, I asked the supervisor if that was the only thing preventing me from restoring my service and she said, "Yes ma’am." They pulled my credit THREE TIMES IN ONE WEEK to tell me about a brand new balance from somewhere that had to be paid. I have been lied to SEVERAL times by AT&T, I have had to make SEVERAL complaints on their nasty disrespectful reps for telling me things like “it’s not our problem that the phone was stolen” to “why did it take you so long to pay your bill anyway?”

I have never in my life felt so belittled. Everyone falls into hard times and the first skill a customer service employee must possess is EMPATHY. They have NONE. They sent my account to collections for the phone installments...not the past due bills...but for THE PRICE OF THE PHONES well before 59 days which they WERE NOT supposed to do. Every other day it’s something new with this ** excuse of a company. They refuse to restore my service until the phones are paid for in full. NOT FOR PAST DUE BALANCES. If I had actual unpaid bills...ok I understand but I paid the bills!!! I will NEVER EVER EVER give or recommend business to this disgusting greedy company.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I started wireless service with AT&T back in June with a BYOD. In August, I decided to upgrade my iPhone SE to an iPhone 8 Plus using this NEXT program. I used the phone until October and ported out my number to try T-Mobile. Unfortunately, They do not have good service in my area. So I wanted to port my number back to AT&T and was unsuccessful. They kept telling me that I couldn't port my number back because I first needed to pay an old DirecTV bill of almost $1000 and then I come back to AT&T.

I kept calling and they kept telling me the same thing until I got lucky and got a rep who actually was able to reactivate everything. Well, I wanted to try Verizon. But unfortunately, they also do not offer great service here. So I again tried porting back my number to AT&T. They are telling me the same thing now that they did then. I need to pay this stupid DirecTV balance in order to come back. Except, this time everyone is refusing to budge. I think they're telling me this because they know that that is an insane amount. They know that after 60 days, you'll lose your account with them and they can charge the full price of the leased phone to you to get MORE money out of you. I use to be an apologist for AT&T and back them up on everything and this is the thanks I get. They nickel and dime you and only care about your money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Well I thought perhaps I could get help, but after reading the myriad of one star, I guess I will just have to wait and work with AT&T in small claims court. Dropped them in August for a better provider and paid my last bill in September. Received a email a few months later indicating I owed them $180. So I looked up the payment history and noted suspicious payments and cancellations. I have 9 posted and canceled Electronic Checks for $60 each. No one at AT&T will agree that these aren't my checks. My checks have a different confirmation number + last 4 digits of the account number.

One supervisor actually told me, I don't know how electronic checks work, while another told me that $180 is my final bill? I have been bounced from Customer Service to Billing to Collection to a Claim number which means absolutely nothing since no one has acted upon it and every time I call, I have to reiterate the same story. I give up, today I dealt with 3 people and it's Groundhog Day the movie over and over again. I cannot deal with the system, at least I now have a decent provider, but cannot get rid of AT&T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I returned my phone to AT&T, as promised, in their self-addressed return box with my non-working phone. Months later, they bill me for over $700 because they said I did not return my phone. After more exchanges with them, they finally said I did return a phone, but it was a completely different phone and they gave me the last four digits of the purported phone I sent in. It was completely wrong. So despite me having the tracking number indicating it was returned, the original IMEI sticker I retained from my phone, and hours of exchanges/chats/telephone calls with AT&T, they've refused to credit me back the $700 (I paid it because they shut down my service and it was the only way to turn my service back on). Apparently, this is a common problem and you can find on the AT&T community site. I'll be setting up a website to collect information from anyone affected for possibly pursuing a larger claim. Please stay tuned.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

So this is my rant for the day. I HATE AND I MEAN HATE AT&T. They are crooks and liars. I did a buy one get one free cell phone 4 months ago. I got my first bill from that 3 months ago and I was being charged for the phone. I called AT&T they told me I had to pay for the FREE phone for 3 months then I would be credited every month after that. I said well I wasnt told that but ok I'll pay it. WELL today I get my bill that was supposed to have the credit on it and my bill was about $20 MORE than what I've been paying the last 3 months.

Long damn story after 2 hours on the damn phone with AT&T that I don't qualify for the buy one get one free phone because my DirecTV bill is not in my name. I was never EVER told that was part of the promotion. I was NEVER told that by any of the reps I talked to the last 4 months. BUT I WAS told today that that's the amount I owe and they WON'T do anything about it. I can't leave AT&T because I'm paying on phones. So ** AT&T and I will be plastering social media and tell EVERYONE I can. AT&T is full of crooks and liars and the second I can get away from them I will.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have been with them for 13 years, I got real sick in the hospital kind and didn’t make my payments. Finally got out. AT&T sent me an email for 250$ off my owed bill to turn back on. I went down paid 1400$. Called customer service. Told them I have this email. Was called a liar then they hung up on me. Finaly got thru after 2 hours of hold time and transfer from one to the other. Asked to speak with a supervisor did and she was so rude. Now at this point phones are on. I’m like okay forget it... but then that day 5 hours after I paid in full phones are working AT&T shut me off all lines lol.

Go down to AT&T. Use their phone to call AT&T then talk to a supervisor. Again tell him what happened. He was so sorry this happened. It was their mistake. He said, "I’ll get all your lines on now and you won’t be charged for fees." LOL bull. At first my bill was 42$ credit then the new bill comes on and I’m hit will over 800$ they charged me for turning all lines on and my payments changed from my DirecTV deal and my watch I was paying on now it’s pay in full LOL.

I think this company is so disgusting how they treat customers. So I say go somewhere else. I’m going to. Every month it’s something with them. They are liars. Dishonest in every way. And their so called higher ups are a joke. Funny thing. Look at the time my payments were made in cash and the time they turned off my account lol. Black and white liars. AT&T are liars. Rip off consumers in every way!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I'm not sure how AT&T maintains a good BBB rating anymore. Years ago, yes, now with the combined AT&T and DirecTV that you can't actually combine, nor combine bills or statements, or have to create a new user ID and Password EVERY MONTH. Then calling into the new updated friendly (sarcasm noted) customer service, they will literally transfer you to at least 2-3 different reps in different departments. This all started when my family and I moved from Ohio to TN. All 3 of our bills went up over $100 each. So DirecTV that we paid $45 month for went to $145, AT&T from $250 to $350 etc.

Now since the combined accounts that according them cannot actually be combined, you have to create a new login every time. However if you create one, guess what? Your other one gets wiped! This is beyond frustrating. We have been with both DirecTV and AT&T for over 15+ years and have never had to call in for an issue. Now we are leaving AT&T as a company. Sad. Also, read all the comments on the BBB now... AT&T response? - "AT&T considers customer feedback an important tool in improving our customer service performance. We appreciate opportunity the customer has provided to improve". How far the mighty have fallen...

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been on the phone for hours trying to get my wireless phone reconnected. The account has a ZERO balance but the phone still will not work. The service was suspended when AT&T changed my account number. The new number will not sync with the old account. I can't even access it online. After speaking to over 6 people and waiting hours, I was told to call back in two hours. I did and was informed customer service is closed. Horrible and incompetent reps.

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.

• Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.

• Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.

• Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.

• Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.

• Best for: AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs