3.1/5 (699 ratings)

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

Pros

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

Cons

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to giv...

Verified

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to st...

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
  • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
  • Nurses
  • Physicians
  • Military
  • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
  • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
  • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
Who owns AT&T Wireless?
AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

AT&T Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

Original review: July 28, 2021

I was offered a plan that was never implemented, month after month and hours and hours on hold with billing, customer service, retention and whom ever else they transferred me to, they could never get it right. I was finally offered to return my phones and leave AT&T because I did not want to pay the additional $40 per month per line that I did not sign up for.. I found a place where I could file a legal arbitration complaint. Someone did get back with me and told me that was a deal that could not happen and they do not honor false information by sales people. After my urging to please listen to my conversations with 2 different sales people and at least reprimand them for giving false information. He said he would look into it and get back with me with in 24 hours. After 2 days I emailed him with no reply and figured I should begin my search for new provider and phones.

5 days later I found phones and provider and emailed him again just to be sure, because I did not want to go through the hassle of switching phones again. Still no reply, 14 days after he was to get back with me, at 5:30pm which happened to be the day I switched providers and had At&t phones boxed up and ready to mail back. I returned his call that morning but no call back. So I put phones in mail the next morning, I saw he had called again at 5:45 the next night but w/ no message so I called him back just to see what he had to say and guess what? He told me that yes indeed they did have that plan, I just had to pay off the phones I was purchasing through them. He told me he understood why I cancelled and was sorry for the misunderstanding. I CANCELLED BECAUSE I WAS TOLD TOO AND THERE WAS NOTHING THAT COULD BE DONE! Thanks AT&T!

Original review: July 23, 2021

We had no issues until we had to cancel our service because we were moving out of the country...but then again, we never had to contact customer service before. I called the beginning of June 2021 to tell them to cancel our service on June 30. I called again mid-June to confirm. To make a long story short, they didn't do it and I got a bill for July. The catch? We are living out of the country and can't make calls to them and "chatting" online isn't sufficient as they told me "we are certified to make a reimbursement, you have to call". They claim we used our phones in July and have to pay - we took our chips out before July so there is no way any of the phones were used. They claim I didn't call in June, when, in fact, I had two other agents confirm that I did call. Twice. They play games with you, they claim they "can't do anything about it", and they flat out lie. It is still an ongoing saga and I will NEVER use AT&T again.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I have a wireless plan and a bad sim card. Tried going into an ATT store and was told to call customer service. Five calls later (35 minutes, 45 minutes -- on hold; 25 minutes spoke to a rep, but was disconnected; after 39 minutes on hold, told I could not be connected at this time; called twice more a number that stated it was available 24/7 and got messages that I could not be connected at this time.)

Original review: July 21, 2021

I have had At&t unlimited for about 8 months, and for 2 months now they are trying to charge me for a second phone, second phone service plan with all fees including phone purchase installment, insurance installment, upgrade installment, taxes, etc. as well as a random $50.00 restocking fee for? And of course, two $40.00 reconnect fees...They turned off my service to my actual phone and didn't turn it by on until I made a payment if I didn't pay a big part of this fraudulent line's past due bill.

I have spent 16 hours of personal time on the phone with customer service (mostly on hold) on 6 occasions, having the representatives tell me they removed the ghost plan bill and its generated costs. I thanked them graciously, each, time... I have spent $60.00 in transportation, been extra stressed, and lost $3000.00 in business income (due to being without communications for multiple days because of the multiple days of interrupted service bullying"' use of the fake phone bill's past due) And my phone has been getting sub-par connectivity and absolutely blasted by random, nondescript "click link" messages 1-2 every minute (24hrs) for 6 days now. And if I cancel my service now to go elsewhere, I will incur a negative credit score effect (x2) by early contract termination of TWO lines, and I am sure more illegitimate fees, and lose a phone have paid about half of the seriously high price for.

Original review: July 20, 2021

You can buy a device from anywhere and these days they all are the same. It all boils down to who gives you a better experience. All AT&T offers are lies and deceptions. DO NOT BELIEVE anything that sales guys are saying in the field. For their billing to normalize it does not take 3 or 4 months as they put it in the field after all credits applied. Mine has been going on for 8 months now and still wrong. Knowing this and you fall for AT&T deals, it will be your own fault. I'd have to deal with crappy deal I got for another 22 months before I can dump them. Everything sales guy who was a smooth talker said turned out to be a lie. Signature plan, data plan, device plan and credits, all lies.

Watch out people. AT&T is not the same AT&T as 10 or 20 years ago. They are scary. I'm being overcharged $50 and in 2 months will be $70 overcharge because of a promotion they put on my account and removing it after 10 months on their own. That was not even discussed at the time of the sale. When talked to their executive guy he was another smooth talker who tried to blame me for not knowing what I signed up for and tell me that I couldn't read my bill. You tell me if plan is $50 and with auto pay supposed to be $40 then you are on a signature plan for employee discount to drop another $10, how's that putting you in a $60 data plan? There is so much shady behavior from AT&T. Watch out people. God Bless.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Had to call seven times to get billing issues resolved. They cut me off twice, put my call to a fax once. A supervisor was supposed to send to call back. Never did. I always hate to call them. Always seem to get the run around. Again, terrible service.

Original review: July 15, 2021

ATT customer service is subpar. I have been transferred to several departments. I’ve been hung up on. And a store representative stole my trade in and one representative can find the information but no one else can seem to find the information of the missing phone.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This review pertains to my AT&T Prepaid experience. TLDR; AT&T has GREAT coverage, customer service is OKAY at best when it comes to keeping you as a client and keeping your money, however they are BAD at everything else. In relation to the actual Prepaid service: I have been an AT&T Prepaid customer for many years! I had recurring AutoPay ON, for the $30 plan. It came out to be ~$25 with AutoPay discounts. This included unlimited talk and text with NO data! After years and years of paying for this plan with no data, I had to update payment info. I decided to look at plans at the same time. Turns out, the $30 plan now includes 2Gb or data! They didn't tell me at all! No clear indication, no email telling me of this "free" 2Gb I could've had already. After a month with 2Gb, I checked again. For the same $30 now there is 5Gb! What a scam...

In terms of the customer service: The customer service experience is a wild rollercoaster. If you call and are lucky enough to catch them on a non busy day. It can be pleasant. They attentively assisted me in my troubles for billing early in my prepaid ventures. If however you need to lookup issues, or contact someone, you will be in for a treat. When you try to chat with someone on the website, it leads you to YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook! Not a live chat at all. You even need to make an account on their site or forums to comment which is totally separate from your prepaid account!

Other information: If you ever lose access to your phone, such as it falling into a lake, getting stolen, etc... You would be screwed if you want to transfer your phone number. They ask that you CALL them from your MISSING phone to get that account number. Which makes no sense at all. I have complete access to accounts, all information linked to those accounts, bank statements, etc... To prove it is me, to try and get that account number. NOTHING.

The plans are expensive in comparison to other companies. Sure you get good coverage, but most other companies do too! Steer clear from doing business with AT&T for their Prepaid services. Complete scam in my opinion. Even Mint Mobile will email you if you don't use all your data in a month to try and save you money. AT&T care about one thing. MONEY. They will assist you in a timely manner if, and only if, it pertains to money.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Bait and switch contracts. Terrible manipulation tactics! Terrible customer service and response never came. Fraud, Fraud, and Fraud! They love sitting on the other end of the line after you’ve asked a question, like why was my plan changed? What is my plan? No response? They switch your plan to the highest one! You are the administrator but you're not…they are con artists. They won’t address your trouble, instead it’s trying to sell more product! Overrated and please Google their bad reviews and see their lawsuits for yourselves.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I got an upgrade on a promotion 11 months ago. Everytime I call them they say they working on my promotion. I paid my Galaxy S9 back to them after paying $900 and got the Note 20 5G. I needs my promotion and plus bill keep going up.

AT&T Wireless Company Information