3.6/5 (1392 ratings)

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

Pros

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

Cons

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to giv...

Verified

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to st...

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
  • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
  • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
  • Nurses
  • Physicians
  • Military
  • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
  • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
  • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
  • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
Who owns AT&T Wireless?
AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

AT&T Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I've been with my cell phone company for 4 months after switching from a company I had for several years. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. They turned my service off not for lack of pay but for lack of me using my phone daily. Had to go through a million different things to have it restored. Now I feel as though they are spying on me.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

I have been with AT&T for 25+ years and I wouldn't have service with any other provider! AT&T provides great service & I have phone & internet service almost everywhere I travel. I also have internet service through them at home & I very rarely have any issues with it, as well. AT&T is coverage is vast, service is next to none & I would recommend them to everyone.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Overall, they have been a pretty good and a dependable company. My biggest issue is when I upgrade my lines, every couple of years, they always say all these fees are being waived but I always have to call in and spend 3 hours on the line disputing the charges. Granted, they have always removed them it but the hassle of having to spend 3 hours of a busy day on the phone is unnecessary. I recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Sadly not covered any longer for Free Apple repairs or service (Expired). I wish for the price of this cell phone Apple MNCP2J/A that the warranty would continue much longer for ease of mind and monies. If AT&T's product is so good in their mind wouldn't it be fair in saying that they should stand behind their product for more coverage usage. AT&T should demand that their cell phone companies stand behind their phone company products much better.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I have been with AT&T since 2007. I have always been happy with their customer service. It was the best. In the past two years I can however tell something is different and not for the good. I have such a hard time getting in touch with an actual person and then automated stuff is a joke- it never heard correctly and you get redirected I. Circles then the call disconnects - ugh. Honestly when it comes to getting in touch with someone on the phone I feel humans work best.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I have been an AT&T customer longer than many of the customer Service reps I spoke to have been alive. I recently upgraded my iPhone XS Max & my wife iPhone XS for 2 iPhone 13 Pro Max's. I didn't need to upgrade, but when they said they would give me $1,000 for my XS Max & $700 for my wife's phone, I said why not... I ordered the 2 new iPhones on the ATT website & they both arrived within a few days of each other (Love the new iPhones!). I received an email a couple of days later stating that ATT would be sending me a box along with instructions on returning the 2 "old" iPhones. The boxes came a few days later & I carefully placed each iPhone into the padded envelope enclosed, then into the box; Note: Each of our iPhone were in A+++ condition, You would think they were both brand new phones!

About a week later I receive a notice that they received the phones & to check on the status of the rebate. To my surprise, they claim I sent them the wrong phone & that the screen was broken & that my "new" trade-In value is $127.00! To me this seems to me like a bait & switch operation... Promise a good rebate on a returned iPhone & then with no proof, say "Sorry, you sent us a broken phone". I have never even dropped a phone. As a long time AT&T customer I hope they make good on this, otherwise it may be time to move my cell, home internet, streaming TV, to another company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I value the phone service I'm with. I had been with T-mobile literally since before smartphones until they had their merger with Sprint. Then things went downhill. So I sought out a new carrier. One that I could have as much faith in as I did the previous one. I chose att and at the time it was a good decision. Earlier this year I had upgrade option from a Samsung galaxy s10 plus to a s21 plus. The s10 plus had a value of $800 based on the upgrade promotion. Ok cool so I went with the trade in upgrade. The phone sent to a local Att store. I go there pick up the new upgrade. Now for this upgrade I was told that I'd be sent a return kit and emailed a shipping label for the return of the s10 plus. About a week goes by I have neither item. So I contact customer service and they say just give it a little more time. Ok no biggie.

Time goes on and I contact them again, but no kit no label. I repeatedly contact them regarding the return of this phone as there is a specific time frame of when you can return a trade in. The associate tells me that they see they sent the label in error and make sure I receive in email while I'm on the phone with you. Mind you I've NEVER had a remotely bad experience with att up until this point. So I finally get the shipping label, I print it and go to uses and I have it shipped.

A week later I receive the phone in the mail from att stating that it's beyond trade in term and it is mine to have. For three months plus I attempted to return the phone but never received a shipping label until it was too late. They then attach a $300 fee to my account. I tell them and prove to them that it isn't my fault that the phone was returned late and to remove this fee from my account. Several associates then tell to not pay the amount and that it will cycle off on the upcoming billing cycle. It comes and the fee is still there. Now I'm livid.

One manager calls and asks who told me not to pay the fee and I tell them several of your associates did over the past 2 months. I tell them to go in and review every call I've had with them over the past 4-5 months. All while I've been with att they treated me more than exceptional and I appreciated that fully until this incident. So they ask me where is the old phone and to sell it. I say no because that's not fair because not only did this company send the phone back but many associates told me not to pay the bill.

Finally at roughly 6 months I speak with a manager that removes the bill in seconds and supposedly waives the balance of the new sense it was a major error on there end. My installment fee shouldn't be any more than $200, but instead they're charging a full $800 for my phone is not fair for me to be paying. Now I see that even their most loyal customers they will lie and steal from. Absolutely horrible wireless service department. I wouldn't wish for the most hated and vile person on this planet to have any dealings with this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

They told me I would get 800$ off my new iPhone trade in promotion. Only got 75$ for it. Straight scammers just lie to reel you in a hook you with contracts expensive monthly bills with so many other things extra to do to get 10$ more off bill monthly. Like showing employment/paperless billing 10$ off for each. Phone I received suppose to be brand new. Only had a 2 weeks and speaker and microphone wouldn’t work every now and then. Lies once again. Promotional trade ins no bueno. Don’t do it.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

First, RUN!!! Don't go to AT&T! I've been (been) with them for years. This, is what did it for me. Last year prior to my plan expiring I called to see how to renew my "Plan" as I had a "bundle of services" (cellphone, internet/cable/WIFI/Landline). I was given an offer, told when to expect it. Mind you, this is all over the phone, as COVID prevented face to face transactions. A week later, my plan hasn't converted. I call back to be told the "agent I talked to does not exist and the plan I have expired--but here's one similar..." This went on THREE TIMES. THREE. I was told to "be grateful, look at what we've done for you, etc..." I was lied to, yelled at, hung up on, gaslighted and scammed. WHO DOES THIS??? No one keeps them accountable, and they don't care. Don't give your business to them. READ the FINE PRINT IN EVERYTHING THEY SELL YOU--Because there's a lot of "fine print."

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Back around the beginning of 2021 Att Wireless had a promo going on for the Motorola Razr 5g if you had a trade in you could get up to 1000 bucks off, so at the time I had a note 9 that was in basically new condition and Att told me that they would give me 900 off the Moto Razr 5g if I traded it in. So I paid off the Samsung note 9, they sent me everything to pack it up and ship it to them. So they shipped me the Moto Razr 5G and they told me it would take like 2-3 billing cycles to see the credits for my trade in. So I waited and would check in with them to make sure they got the phone and everything was good and they kept telling me, "Yes you got the promotion you'll get the credits." So like 5-6 months go by and I wasn't getting the credits for the promo. So finally they had to open a case to review the promo I should have already been getting.

In the end they screwed me and said they wasn't giving me the promotion I was originally promised. I have most of the transcripts from att where they say that I got the promotion, I even have one where right before they opened the case the representative told me, "Yes you got the promo and on your next bill we will credit you for 5 months at 33.33 a month," which by the way never happened. I then told them if I wasn't getting the promo and the 900 off to send me back my note 9 that I had just paid off I think all together I paid 1300 bucks for and it was in brand new condition and they said, "No we can't do that," lol!!!!???? So they screwed me over on the promotion then I paid off a expensive note 9, sent it to them and they kept it for free!!!

Mind you I told them I have chat transcripts where att reps said I'd get the promotion, get paid back credits etc and in the end I didn't get anything, on top all of that every month my cell bill gets higher and higher and haven't changed anything on our plan. I can't believe they are able to operate like this!!! I've seen other people post about the same problem with AT&T, they trade in their phone for a promotion and end up not getting it!!! I say we all get together and start a class action lawsuit against them because this is ridiculous!!

AT&T Wireless Company Information