AT&T Wireless Learn More

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.87/5
Based on 3,618 ratings submitted in the last year

AT&T Wireless Learn More

AT&T Wireless Reviews

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Before traveling to Canada, I stopped in to affirm that out cellular plan would work while on vacation in the Canadian Rockies. The service rep checked and assured me that using our phones would be "just like we were at home". Four days into the trip I received a message about excess data usage...five days into the trip my data usage was blocked. Not at all what I was expecting.

Upon returning home I went to inquire about the problem. Miguel, who had assisted me before (he is friendly, knowledgeable and goes above and beyond to help clients), did a quick check and said I'd have to wait until all the charges from that billing period had come though. Based on his check he stated that it appeared that any problem was an error on AT&T's part. The bill arrives - over $1,200!

I'm going to shorten the story...Miguel and the staff at the store spent hours (I was at the store for over 4 hours trying to resolve the problem with their help) supporting my claim that the excess charges were AT&T's responsibility and needed to be adjusted accordingly. With Miguel's help and support the billed amount was changed in accordance with what I had originally expected. Thanks to all their help...I'm very pleased!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I switch from Sprint (Sept. the 19th. 2019) because of the coverage that AT&T offer. While in the store with preparing to move 3 lines over, the rep. said that the activation frees would be waived. Six days later I got my bill and it showed that I was being charge $90.00 dollars for activating my 3 lines. I went back to the store and tried to get the fees taken off, and of course they would not do it.

After a while, I called in to At&t customer service and a new door of kindness opened up. Gretchen **. (the customer service rep.) took care of all the issues that I was have. I could not get all the fees removed, but enough to make me add another line to my account, with no activation fees.. "Gretchen, being a business owner I would like to say that the customer service that I received from you today was the best service that I have ever received in my life. Thank you for being understanding, and most of all, thank you for your 25 year of service with At&t"...

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

My cell phone was heating up and not keeping the charge. Went into the store and was told I would have to replace the phone. The AT&T tech, Garret **, asked me if I had insurance on the phone, which I did. He told me the web page to go on and told me it would cost about $120. He told me to bring the new phone in and he would take care of transferring everything to the new phone. It took one day and phone came. Took the new phone into the store and Garret did everything for me. I was very impressed as everyone in that store was helpful and did not try and sell me a new phone, which they could have, as I did not know about the insurance covering it. I will recommend that store in Palos Hts to everyone.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I changed my service to unlimited talk/text on the last day of my billing cycle. Somehow there was a double billing amount when I looked online to see my current payment. I went back to store (Pleasant Prairie, WI) and they were able to explain what happened and change to the correct amount. I realize billing sometimes doesn't factor everything in when you first get the bill, but I was assured I will pay what I expected to pay. Thanks to District Mgr. Mike and my store rep Derek. They both took the time to explain how the billing works. It was pleasure working with both Derek and Mike. I was a previous Verizon customer, and 30 months ago I switched over and I'm glad I did.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I am very happy with the customer service provided by Neil at the AT&T store on Main Street in Norwich, CT. Neil diagnosed my old phone and gave me exact details on how to replace my Samsung phone with another device and still keep my phone number and prepaid plan. Additionally, Neil replaced my sim card to the new phone and transferred all my data from the old phone to the new phone. I highly recommend Neil at this AT&T store. He is courteous and knowledgeable. I will continue to do business with AT&T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: April 5, 2020

I am writing to you today with complete dissatisfaction, I would like to tell you in detail about the poor experience I had with AT&T and how disgusted I am. Friday 04/03/2020 7:33am I placed an online order through your website for 3 new phones, new lines and porting 3 numbers from Verizon Wireless, 04/03/2020 7:49am I received an email from AT&T stating that there was an issue with my order and I needed to call in to resolve the issue. I immediately called 8:03am for 33 minutes to find out that you weren’t opened yet. So I waited until 9:18am Eastern time to call back again, was on hold to connect with someone for 26 minutes, I thought that was bad… That was nothing compared to what I have to tell you later on, but in the meantime I saw there was a chat option; unknowingly it was not even for AT&T but it was for Enjoy; the delivery service, which told me they don’t have my order and I have to talk to AT&T.

So back to calling AT&T I go; 04/03/2020 10:12am, spent 1 hour 45 minutes on the phone and they told me “no everything is fine with your order and it will be shipped out tomorrow between 12-2” even though I told them that I received an email stating there was an issue, they rushed me off the phone and said everything was fine and that Enjoy now is to blame for that email and they are the reason for the hold up. For me to be on hold for that long just to rush me off the phone like I didn’t matter. 11:53am I called Enjoy, the hold time was only 7 minutes, thank goodness; I was then told I needed to call AT&T port department because they are now holding up the process.

So what do I do? I call the porting department at 11:31am for 49 minutes now and they told me they have no records of my order and I need to now call Online Ordering Support. 4:55pm I called Online Ordering Support, could only stay on the phone for 37 minutes until I had to get off the phone in order to make a phone call for work. 5:40pm I spent 1 hour 32 minutes, spoke with Donna (**); she told me that there was something wrong with my online order and she needed to cancel it and place a new order. I said fine, but will that be a new credit inquiry? She said no, they’re going to use the existing one and I agreed to do so.

We go through the whole ordering process, then she lets out a big sigh “We spent all this time doing this and now you have to give a $800 deposit!” She then asked if I previously had to and I said no. She said she’s going to have to call me back. 7:21pm she calls me back (24 minutes) and said because of the previous online order and now this one; the system thinks I am buying 6 phones and is making me put a deposit down for that reason, it needs 24 hours to clear, I will receive an email for the canceled online order and she will call me between 1:00pm and 2:00pm the next day (04/04/2020) and she also gave me her number and if she didn’t call me that I can call her. I agreed.

04/04/2020 I checked my email, didn’t see cancellation email. I checked the status of that order online and it still states that it is existing. I waited until 1:13pm to call Donna, no answer and full voicemail. 1:16pm I spent 1 hour 46 minutes with a gentleman, explained what happened the day before and he said let’s put a new order in (which he didn’t even do right; wrong phone and he put in charges for activation fees). Again I asked if this will be a credit inquiry, he replied the same answer; no, they’re going to use the existing one, I agreed once again. We put in the order, he then tells me a whole different scenario then Donna: $900 deposit for 1 phone and I have to pay out right for the other 2. I then explain, again to him; Donna said she canceled the online order but did not, the system is thinking that I’m buying 6 phones (what Donna told me).

He then said, he can’t do anything about it and he’s going to transfer me to someone to cancel that order and then he can force it through. I get transferred to a guy that tells me he doesn’t know why I’m talking to him, he only handles completed orders and sends them out to be delivered and I begged him to find someone that can help me and he said “if there’s nothing else I can help you out with, thank you” and hung up. 4:29pm I spent 55 minutes, but this one was the WORSE! She answered, I explained what happened and she said “oh no, Donna shouldn’t have told you that, that isn’t true, you have bad credit” and told me that each time I placed an order I put in a new credit inquiry.

I’m at the point of so much frustration, I begged; a grown man begging for help! Please find someone that can just help me, then I begged, please just cancel that order because it was never canceled. She hung up on me. 6:44pm, 13 minutes while cooking dinner; I gave up. 7:45pm, 27 minutes during dinner; I gave up. There was another call in between that I spent over an hour on that I lost in my call log. All this while I was working on 04/04/2020. I spent more time on the phone that I finished working before getting a hold of someone to resolve this. 574. This is how many times I called Donna today on 04/04/2020: 1:13pm, 3:03pm, 3:14pm, 3:30pm, 3:48pm, 4:29pm, 5:10pm, 5:26pm, 6:16pm, 6:44pm, 6:58pm, 7:38pm. And she NEVER called me as promised.

Total time I spent on the phone with AT&T: at minimum 574 minutes! That’s 9 hours and 56 minutes! And most of the time was waiting on the phone, when I got to speak to someone they rushed me off the phone so quick like I didn’t wait over an hour just to talk to them. Like my time isn’t valuable! The worse part is that no one cared, no one put in any effort to find out why this is happening and what or who can help me, they just rushed me off the phone, transferred me to someone else; that isn’t even the right department or person to talk to just for them to transfer me yet to another wrong department or person to talk to and they all have one thing in common; they blamed the person I talked to before them, like they were the hero! All the information I have is from me doing my own investigations. If this is you idea of a first impression you should be ashamed of yourself.

After all that time I wasted, I still have no official orders in good standing, the only correct and existing order that’s still in is the one that I did! Which I can’t even get canceled and refunded, I have 3 credit inquiries. Nothing was resolved, nothing bettered my situation, I regret thinking of switching to AT&T and now I wasted time and money. But it’s still not over, I still have to spend hours and hours calling back in to cancel my first order to get my money back. I feel like I’m doing more work than AT&T employees. I am extremely frustrated and will share this feedback with all social media and forums.

AT&T can defame Verizon Wireless all day by saying they are false advertising their coverage and speed, and they are more expensive, but never ever have they ever treated me the way AT&T has. You get what you pay for and if you treat your customers like this, I’d pay double what Verizon is charging me for their amazing customer service! Order # **.

Original review: April 3, 2020

All I wanted was to get the $300 12 month prepaid plan on my BYOD and port in my current cell number. What I got was a sim card I couldn't activate online or by phone and hours trying to get a person on the line just to transfer me to another place to hold longer, which was beyond my patience. I then tried ordering a second sim card with the $50 prepaid plan, since I was never charged for the first anyways. I followed the instructions on the packaging to port my number, which was to call 611 from my activated phone and ask them to port.

Everything was fine with this process until I spoke to someone on 611, which told me that, since the SIM was already activated under a new number, I couldn't port the old number. He said the only way to port my number now was to pay for a second activation, effectively getting double-charged. Since I just wanted my phone working, I accepted this and was finally able to get a sim activated with my transferred number. It seems to be working well now, so think the phone service works well once you get it, but getting it can be an awful process so I'm giving two stars overall.

AT&T requested a review from me. I wrote one detailing this story and my review was not posted the first time, because I mentioned prices and that customer service was mentioned in the review. I removed the prices. I didn't remove mention of customer service because how can you POSSIBLY use this product without needing customer service? It IS part of the review, wether AT&T likes it or not. They still refuse to post it, so I'm posting it here and I put the prices back in.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have had problems with them for nearly a year now. When I signed up for auto pay for the buy 1 get 1 on the Android s10 phones, we had no problems at first but then we've had countless issues. First I couldnt get my AT&T app to work. Then I even switched my card card because the autopay wasnt working. Then because autopay wasnt working I got charged a late fee and my bill has been all over the place. Honestly I'm looking around at other providers and may switch after we pay off our phones. I'm tired of the runaround and constant screw ups in services.

Original review: April 1, 2020

In January 2020 I overpaid my bill, by adding an extra 0 on the end of my payment paying roughly $2300 vs the $230 that I owed. I called on 1/17 and asked them to process a refund. I have since had to call multiple times at least 5-6 and I'm told a different story or policy each time. I've received 4 different confirmation numbers. I've been told multiple time frames to wait. First it was 5-7 days and it would be deposited in my account, then I was told to wait another 21 days, then on another call I was told that I would receive a check in the mail by 3/21. I had to call AGAIN on 3/27 and was told that my request was not processed, but they were just deducting from what I owed each month. So essentially, I feel that I was lied to each time I called.

3/27 after demanding to talk to a supervisor the girl on the phone finally took my bank information and said they would process, and I should see the money in my account in 3-5 business days. On the 3rd day I checked my AT&T account. The credit had been reduced again due to the payment cycle. I called and was told the request wasn’t processed because they were waiting on additional information from me. They transferred me again to accounts payable where I was told they needed my bank account information. I told them I already provided that and she then told me it would take 10-14 days. No one there seems is know what their policy is. I asked at that point to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold. No one ever got back on the phone. I waited for 20 minutes and finally hung up.

I would cancel services immediately, however getting someone out to my house during the COVID-19 crisis is making that difficult. At this point I firmly believe they have no intention of returning the overpayment and think it’s fine to let the money run out each month. The customer service has been appalling. At this point I'll be opening a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and trying to get a new service provider as soon as possible.

Original review: March 28, 2020

AT&T randomly added a phone to our account and started charging payments to the account through AT&T Next. We did not purchase or receive this phone, but AT&T insists that we did. AT&T may have been defrauded by someone claiming to be us, but clearly did not do proper account verification before giving them a phone. (No ID required, or verified shipping address, or down payment or anything.) By charging us payments which we did not agree to for a product which we did not purchase, AT&T is committing fraud. Their customer support refuses to do the right thing and remove the payments from our account. Terrible company.

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has a 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. AT&T’s unlimited prepaid service, called GoPhone, are available for smartphones and basic phones.

• Rollover data: Unused high speed data on AT&T’s GoPhone plans will roll over to the next month. Data expires after one renewal period, but AT&T is one of the only prepaid providers to offer rollover data.

• Daily plan: Consumers can choose a plan, which they only pay for on the days when they make or receive calls. With this plan, consumers can purchase a small data package on a daily basis. This option might be especially appealing for parents or guardians who want their child to have a phone only for emergencies.

• Autopay discount: Customers who set up autopay to keep their phone active receive a monthly discount. The discount can save customers as much as $60 a year.

• Multi-line discount: AT&T offers discounts to consumers who add more than one line to their GoPhone accounts; consumers can add up to five lines to one account. The discount can be combined with the multi-line discount for more savings. This option might appeal to business owners or parents with multiple children.

• Features: All GoPhone plans come with voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding, call waiting and caller ID. These features are included for free, but some do use minutes.

• Best for: AT&T GoPhone is best for parents, budget-conscious consumers and business owners.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team