Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.18/5

AT&T Wireless is the cellular branch of AT&T services. The company offers a variety of plan options to suit every customer's needs. Choices include unlimited text, talk and data plans, shared data plans and prepaid options. Customers can get a new phone from AT&T when they purchase a plan or continue using their current one.

BOTTOM LINE

AT&T Wireless offers cell phone plans with unlimited talk, text and data and mobile sharing plans. No-commitment prepaid plans are also available. AT&T isn’t the cheapest wireless company, but it’s a good option.

PROS

• Several plan options
  • Includes streaming services
  • Wide range of coverage

CONS

• Low limits before data throttling
  • Not the cheapest plans

Top AT&T Wireless Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

AT&T has always given me the best rate. I have been using them for over 12 years. I remember when I had my new iPhone… and the screen broke within a month. AT&T was so kind to give me a credit to purchase a new one…They have always been there for me, and I will always be their devoted customer.

I have had AT&T phone service for about 12 years and I have been very pleased with my service. I haven't had any problem so far and so I would highly recommend AT&T… I plan to stay with AT&T as long as the service I'm receiving continues to be great with no issues.

What is AT&T Wireless?

AT&T Wireless offers a wide variety of plans for customers to choose from. These include both mobile share and unlimited plans. Each plan is available for one to four phone lines.

The company’s mobile share plans include:

• AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB comes with unlimited talk and text, 3 GB of data, standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.
    • AT&T Mobile Share Plus 9GB has a larger package with unlimited talk and text with 9 GB of data. It also includes standard-definition streaming, a mobile hotspot, rollover data and talk, text and data for Mexico.

AT&T Wireless’ unlimited plans are:

• AT&T Unlimited Starter comes with unlimited talk, text and data, standard-definition streaming, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
    • AT&T Unlimited Extra includes unlimited talk, text, data and 60 GB of premium data, standard-definition streaming, 15 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.
    • AT&T Unlimited Elite has unlimited talk, text, data and 100 GB of premium data, high-definition streaming, 30 GB of mobile hotspot data per line, 5G access, HBO Max, unlimited texting from the U.S. to more than 120 countries, device security, fraud blocking and spam risk alerts.

AT&T is also easily accessible and has more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. The company provides good international perks — select plans have unlimited texting to more than 190 countries, picture and video messaging to 120 countries and unlimited talk, text and data in Mexico and Canada. Reasonably priced add-ons are also available for other plans.

If you’re interested in streaming with unlimited plans, it’s important to note that only the Elite plan offers high-definition streams. The Starter and Extra plans only include standard-definition streaming. AT&T customers should also be aware of the company’s policy on slowing data during busy periods.

AT&T Wireless prices

AT&T is most cost-friendly for families because the cost of each line goes down as you add phones. It also offers several discount opportunities for customers. Some businesses, schools or organizations take part in the AT&T Signature Program. Eligible customers can get discounts through participating companies. Discounts are also available for:

• Teachers
    • Nurses
    • Physicians
    • Military
    • First responders

Plan prices vary depending on the number of lines you have.

• Mobile share 3GB plan: $50 to $120 per month
    • Mobile share 9GB plan: $60 to $140 per month
    • Unlimited Starter plan: $65 to $140 per month
    • Unlimited Extra plan: $75 to $160 per month
    • Elite plan: $85 to $200 per month

AT&T Wireless FAQ

How do I find my AT&T Wireless number?
    You can go to your myAT&T profile and check your contact info. Click on the “Phone” tab. Your AT&T Wireless number is listed there.
    How do I access my AT&T Wireless account?
    To access your AT&T Wireless account, you first have to create a User ID and password. Once you’ve done that, you can sign in and access your AT&T Wireless account.
    Who owns AT&T Wireless?
    AT&T Inc. owns AT&T Wireless.
    Can you bundle AT&T Wireless and internet?
    AT&T offers bundles for wireless and internet. Purchasing a bundle gets customers perks and helps save money.
    How do I pay my AT&T Wireless bill?
    AT&T Wireless offers several ways for customers to pay their bills. This includes by phone, online using the website or mobile app, in-person or automatically with a credit card.

Is AT&T Wireless good?

AT&T Wireless is one of the biggest names in American cell phone providers. There are a variety of options for customers looking for cell phone plans, and customers can get unlimited or mobile share packages for up to four phones. It’s always worth checking reviews to see if a cellphone provider has good coverage in your area, but AT&T is a good option for those looking for wireless phone service.

AT&T Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Wireless?

Original review: April 12, 2021

After years with Verizon a decided to go At&t. This has been the worst mistake I ever made. I was charged 138 right off the bat. Next my first bill $463. I called numerous time after I was told I was going to get my employee discount 80% from Walmart. My bill was supposed to be $57 for both line before tax but now they just apologizes but no one takes responsibility knowing they told me this just to lock me up in a two year contract. Completely waste of my time calling over.

Original review: April 11, 2021

My name is Vianca ** and I will like to inform you that I’m writing these for my own records if I have to get a lawyer and file a case against your company. It not going to be easy with me. Your company just pays people to false advertise and get the in these contracts that we don’t even get to see while your third party do all the application filing then we get reported to our credit because we don’t want to be overcharged in your company so then you report us to the credit bureau to get negative marks. I know all about your retention team. "Loyalty Department" on a payroll to keep the customers in to get overcharged. So please do me a favor and someone, anyone needs to call me at **.

I will like to stop my four numbers from port to your company 4/10/2021. Yesterday one of your third party came to my home and offered me a false contract. What was said out loud wasn’t in your fine print. I read this morning so I know I have 24 hours. It’s ok if you don’t call like I mentioned earlier this is for my lawyer's records. I’m tired of your company taking advantage of people especially me that I I been a “Loyal” customers to your company. Also I want to cancel my cable and internet. I’m done with your company. Also I have cameras. Your team had no mask on either!!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Upgrade performed Dec, 2020 in store in Simi Valley, CA. Received new phone by mail end of Dec. Mailed it same day! They received my old phone Jan, 2021. Today, 4/8/2021 12:30 pm PST they have not yet processed my return nor credit!!! Spoken to reps/managers and there is no sense of urgency. Their infrastructure of service has failed!!! Lost a very good customer forever!!!!

Original review: April 2, 2021

After almost 18 years with AT&T wireless service I am forced to cut the tie. The reason is pretty simple. It is due to their poor customer service, un-helpful management and not to mention their outrageously high service rates. While their service is ok, their agent mislead customers to add plan that supposedly would reduce my monthly cost, instead it went up. Furthermore, the hotspot service was removed from the plan without any mention by the agent. When I called their customer service to ask why the bill went up (when I was told it would reduce monthly cost by $40), another lovely agent said all the right things. However, she was not able to help, but would transfer me to a "loyalty service department" and they would be able to take care of me.

Another 30 mins of **, the loyalty service agent" tried selling me a service (basically adding hotspot service, which I already had previously) that would cost even more... WOW! Then the "manager" comes along...absolutely useless. I asked her to put me back on my previous plan before they messed up my service. Wow what a big mistake that was!! 12 hours later no change. Spent 2.5 hours on hold and all, very disappointing as the value aspect no longer exist with this company.... Time to go shopping for another carrier.

Original review: March 28, 2021

My husband and I went to the 2900 Los Feliz Blvd AT&T branch in Los Angeles on 1/18/20 as the store had a "promotion" (Bogo Promo). The promotion consisted of purchasing one iPhone, and getting the second one free. We already had an AT&T account and two iPhone 6's (my husband has been a customer since 2006). We traded them in as part of the promotion, and were given the two new iPhones. The "salesman" ** said that our initial bill was not going to reflect correct amounts and that it was going to take "a couple of billing cycles" until we saw the corrected charges for the promotion. A few months later we called ** as the bills kept showing that we were being charged for TWO brand new phones as opposed to only one. We kept calling and calling, we kept visiting the store, and * kept saying "just to wait" for the charges to adjust eventually on our bill.

We finally called AT&T "Customer Care" and they said there was nothing they could do and to resolve the issue directly with the store. ** kept purposely delaying adjusting whatever issue they were having and continue lying to us saying that we were going to see an adjustment on our account. Finally, towards the end of the year we reached out to the "store manager," **, who suspiciously and all of a sudden, "found the error" on our account that had kept us from having our promotion reflecting the correct amounts. We had been paying for TWO phones for almost an entire year instead of only one, because of an error the salesman ** had made on our account from the start. ** reassured us that now that the "error" had been found, we were going to receive a refund of $750.00.

A couple of weeks passed, no refund. We again called and called, visited the store several times, no refund. Finally the issue was escalated to **'s superior, someone also named **. We followed up with ** SEVERAL times for SEVERAL WEEKS, then MONTHS (I have proof of this) and he had no answer for us from his superior ** in regards to our refund. We finally got a hold of ** on February of 2021 and he had the audacity to tell us that he acknowledged that they owed us $750, but that this issue was "over 12 months old" and because of that small detail, THAT was the reason why they were not going to refund us what was owed to us. I told **, "What about the COUNTLESS times we called and visited the store to try to have the issue resolved WITHIN the correct timeframe since early 2020?"

So they not only made a mistake on our account, but PURPOSELY dragged correcting the error made on our account for over a year in order to then state that 12 months had already passed, and that they didn't issue account adjustments past that time period. This is a scam and fraud by AT&T. To drag the issue long enough to make sure customers don't get refunded what is owed to them. We have documentation and proof of the store manager acknowledging that they made an error on our account and that they in fact owe us $750.

**We are in the process of terminating our AT&T phone, cable and internet services.

Original review: March 24, 2021

AT&T's customers are unaware of the 15-day return policy for the damaged device when they file a claim with Asurion. Asurion goes out of their way to make sure they don't mention this anywhere but the fine print. Then they charge you $850, keep the $250 deductible, they keep the old device, and the premiums. Total scam. They belong in jail. If you file a claim I suggest you educate yourself so you don't get scammed by this fraudulent process designed to confuse you then exploit you and steal your money.

At&t then claims they have nothing to do with Asurion when you complain. Asurion won't even take your calls after the claim is closed. The little guy gets screwed every time. They're liars and criminals. AT&T has chosen to work with this partner and they work together to screw you as badly as they can. Someday there will be a class action lawsuit against these pieces of human garbage.

If you simply report the device stolen or lost then you won't have to return the old device and they can't charge you an additional $850 for not returning it. Don't let yourself be penalized for being honest. I've been with AT&T since 2006. I pay around $6,000 per year to AT&T. I have 6 lines with data plans with AT&T. Still, they were unwilling to help me in this case. I hate AT&T now and plan to switch carriers because of this and AT&T doesn't care at all. Go to hell all of you. That's where you belong.

Original review: March 24, 2021

In Sept 2020, I called in to make a payment for my bill and update my address since I recently moved. The representative who assisted me said since I've been a loyal customer for 5 years I qualified to get "3 NEW SAMSUNG A19's for FREE". I told her I didn't need any new phones and she kept trying to give me the phones. She said all the phones are FREE and all I had to do was pay a shipping fee - it was around $35 for all 3 phones. Again she said they were FREE and I could have them in case one of my phones needed to be replaced. She also stated if I didn't like them, I could send them back. Again out of skepticism when it comes to corporate marketing strategies- I asked her what's the catch and she said there isn't any except the shipping fee. Otherwise the phones are FREE and mine to keep for being a LOYAL customer. Sadly, I fell for it.

Well we received the phones and activated one because a week before my wife broke her phone. So instead of paying $200 for our insurance to get a replacement we figured we'll try the new phone. It was not to her or my liking so we returned ALL 3 FREE phones. We returned the phones before the 14 days they give us without penalty - even though theoretically we shouldn't have gotten a penalty because they were FREE - right? Well no, that is the opposite that has happened.

Back in October I received a bill for 3 NEW lines and the 3 PHONES we returned! I was livid, 1) for the rep lying to me and adding 3 NEW lines I never requested nor needed and 2) for being charged for phones that I was told were FREE and we returned them. So every 2 wks after that (I am serious- every 2 weeks till today) I had to call ATT to 1) pay my monthly bill and ARGUE with them that they were sent the phones and that I didn't agree to a new contract with 3 new lines. So they took it off pending review of my case and "waiting for the phones to arrive".

Two weeks later I get a text stating I owe $2200! They were charging me for the 3 phones and 3 lines. On that call I got them to remove the lines, but continued with the problem of the returned phones they say they haven't received - this went on for another month. Again 2 weeks later- the same routine. I would pay my regular cell charges and argue with them about 3 FREE phones I am being charged and did not have.

In Dec, I am back at again with them - every 2 weeks. I make a payment every month and in between, every 2 weeks I am back on the phone trying to get the extra charges for the 3 FREE phones removed. This time they started canceling my service for non-payment! I believe during that month, it was when I was told by a rep to hold my payment for about 8 days to see if they received the phones to make the adjustments to my account. I argued, that's not my problem because I don't have the 3 FREE phones! Well I was credited $600 because the system doesn't allow more. Again 2 weeks my bill was supposed to be reduced until the balance (credit) of the returned 3 FREE phones was completed.

At that time they admitted to having received the phones at their warehouse in early November but can't be totally credited until it was in their system? That made no sense - right. The new statement came and the credit was reversed and it happens EVERY TIME a representative gave me the credit! Seems that AT&T has a backstop whereas the COMPUTER overrides what the representatives are crediting customers.

Fast forward to today Mar 23, 2021-my service has been disconnected since yesterday because AT&T is saying that they've given me enough credits and that I have to pay for late and re-connection fees! So far, they have only reversed - not credited because I don't owe them squat for 3 FREE phones they admit to receiving nor am I paying the fees because it was their lying representative that got me into this mess. BTW that representative was let go back in November - seems I am not the only one that AT&T has and continues to screw! I've asked them to pull the original recording of the FREE phone set-up and said they can't because that's a different department. Convenient isn't it?

So after speaking with several managers and wasting at least 2 hrs every two weeks to correct what their employee did - I have tried my best to resolve this amicably. Today, I made the representative say out loud he was recording me and I recapped the fiasco that At&T is involved with cheating their customers into contracts and payments they are not entitled to receive by strong arming us.

Well, they chose the wrong client. On the recording I told the rep to forward the recording to his manager for action. I again agreed to pay what I normally pay for my monthly service he refused today, a manager refused yesterday and another rep as well because the system would not allow them. I will be suing AT&T in small claims court for - 1) False advertising 2) Predatory Marketing 3) Mental duress 4) my lawyers fees if needed. If AT&T has screwed you - sue them!

Original review: March 17, 2021

They've screwed up 3 different phone trade ins since I became a customer 5-6 years ago. This latest one has been the worst. I've been trying to get my bill corrected for 7 months now, and every month I have to spend 7-9 hours on the phone just to get an update on why they haven't made things right. Then, they'll tell you "It will be FOR SURE fixed next month, we promise with all of our hearts". Here I am, 7 months later.

This is the absolute worst experience I've had as a customer. They'll literally hang up on you or transfer you to American Airlines if you try to get what is rightfully owed to you. Worst part is: AT&T and their customer service representatives know that there is literally nothing you can do. You are at their mercy. There are absolutely no repercussions for hanging up on customers, or making them waste 80+ hours on the phone with them. Avoid like the plague, and go with a smaller wireless provider.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I have been with At&t for a long time now. I had a plan that over time I went into a store they said, "Wow! We as employees can't even get that good of a deal." I would say, "Yep I know so do NOT change my plan." Well you know where I'm going now. I had an unlimited plan that included all data, all cellular, etc... Again they were always trying to upgrade then I would say, "How is that an upgrade when you take what I have and give me something worse?" "Well um you're right. What you have we don't offer anymore and only did for a short time period." "Yes I know," I would say.

They are now sending me emails to add data to my plan for additional money. Well this led to an investigation on my part. Only to find out they had also added stuff and hadn't removed things they were suppose to. I am now in a battle with them to get my old plan back, my money returned that they have been overcharging me. Just keep an eye on your bills. I don't want anyone else to go through this.

Original review: March 9, 2021

I transferred cellular service from Verizon wireless August 5, 2020 enticed by a $700 offer to trade in my and my wife’s cell phones and port our numbers to AT&T wireless. The offer was supposed to go in effect 60 days from the date I signed up. I have made numerous attempts to get AT&T to resolve this issue, they even gave me a case number and promised it would be taken care of by January 4, 2021. The case number is **. I am getting the runaround but not the credits for moving my services to AT&T. I am a retired 70 year old on a fixed income and what I am paying AT&T is more than what I would be paying had I not left Verizon wireless.

AT&T Wireless Company Information