4.5/5 (3834 ratings)

About Asurion

Asurion helps people protect, connect and enjoy the latest tech – to make life a little easier. Asurion phone insurance plans provide coverage above and beyond the typical warranty, including water damage or if your phone is lost or stolen. Asurion Home+ offers one simple plan that covers all your favorite home tech—no matter when or where you bought it. We value Asurion customers' reviews and feedback as it gives us an opportunity to continue to improve.

Pros

• Offers extensive coverage
  • Sends replacement phones quickly
  • Low monthly cost

Cons

• Replacement is not always identical
  • Not available for everyone

Bottom Line

Asurion offers mobile replacement plans and tech support for a variety of smartphones and mobile devices. The company works with many popular wireless service providers.

Top Asurion Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Making my claim was easy and efficient. I was promised my replacement in 2 business days, in came in 1 day and was delivered on a Saturday. Fast service, thank you! I received my ...

Verified

Speedy delivery of the replacement phone. Included in the package were clear directions on how to set up new phone and return directions. The return internal packaging was a nice ...

What is Asurion?

Asurion phone insurance helps cover the cost to repair or replace a cell phone if it is lost, stolen or damaged. The company also offers technical support to assist with some of the most common cell phone malfunctions. Its representatives can help you back up your contacts and photos, and you can get in touch with a mobile expert every time you have an issue on your device.

The Asurion Protection plan also includes an extended warranty on other expensive electronics, including TVs, laptops, desktop computers, tablets and home appliances.

What does Asurion cover?

Asurion phone insurance covers some of the most common issues cell phone users have with their phones. The company’s protection plans cover cracked phone screens, physical damage, mechanical failure, loss, theft, water damage and normal wear and tear. The insurance extends to accessories that come with your phone, such as chargers and earbuds.

If your phone is damaged in any of these ways, you can file a claim on the Asurion website. If the phone cannot be repaired, Asurion can send out a replacement phone the very next business day.

To enroll your cell phone in the Asurion cell phone coverage plan, you must call or visit your wireless provider to see if your phone is eligible. You're typically only eligible within the first 30 days of activating or upgrading your phone. The type of devices that are covered depends on the wireless provider.

How to file a claim with Asurion

To file a claim:

1. Go to the Asurion website and choose your wireless provider from the list.
  2. Enter your phone number and follow the instructions to report what happened to your device
  3. You will be notified of the status of your claim and can track the claim online
  4. Asurion will send you an email with tracking information for your replacement device

If you file a claim but need to cancel, you can do it right on the website. Depending on your wireless carrier, you can file up to three claims in a year.

Asurion phone insurance attempts to send you a replacement device that is the same make and model of your old one. However, sometimes the exact same phone is not available, and the company’s representatives choose an alternative that matches the form and functionality of the lost or damaged device. Your replacement device may be new or refurbished and the color, brand, model and features could vary based on availability.

Asurion prices

The Asurion wireless phone protection plan costs $7.15 per phone per month, and there is a cap of $1,500 per claim. Asurion offers other services at different price points, including cracked screen repair that starts at $29.

You must pay a deductible before insurance kicks in and pays for a repair or replacement. The deductible is typically far less than the retail price of a new phone, which saves you money in the long run.

Asurion FAQ

Does Asurion cover cracked screens?
Yes. Simply file a claim and, once it is confirmed as eligible, you can drop your phone off at an authorized repair dealer, have an expert repair technician come to you or mail your device to Asurion. Cracked phones can typically be repaired in a matter of hours, and authorized service repairs come with a one-year limited repair warranty.
Are Asurion phones refurbished?
Some are, yes. If you qualify for a replacement phone, it will either be a new phone or a refurbished phone.
How do I track my Asurion claim?
There is an easy-to-use tracking feature on the Asurion website that helps you track the status of your claim.
Where is Asurion located?
Asurion is based in Nashville but has locations across the country.
How long does Asurion take to ship?
Most replacement phones are shipped the day after the claim is finalized.

Is Asurion worth it?

Asurion offers a layer of protection if you are prone to dropping, breaking or losing your phone. However, if you're picky about the phone that you have, it's important to remember that you may not always receive a replacement phone that is identical to your lost or damaged device. The monthly cost is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of repairing or replacing high-end phones, which makes the service worth it for people who want to protect their devices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Asurion?

Original review: June 21, 2022

The customer support for me was excellent and I would highly recommend Asurion to anyone. When the phone was stolen, I was not sure what the response would be for a request of a replacement phone, I thought I might meet resistance or need to provide some kind of proof that my replacement phone was a legitimate need. I did not have any pushback at all or questioning beyond what would be normal in establishing my identity and the device. They sent my replacement immediately and I received it in 2 days. I was very surprised since they were not business days since I reported the stolen phone on a Saturday. Needless to say, it was excellent service and I felt like a valued customer and they were patient with my questions and it was a painless process with very fast service! I know that the cost of insurance is well worth the price since it is a protection from unexpected events that could be very costly to get a replacement.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I was at uBreakiFix for a different issue all together and I happen to stand there at the counter waiting for me to be waited on. A lady came in with a laptop and she says I have the Home Plus insurance and I asked, "What is that?" She says, "It’s great to have." She said, "Everything in your household is covered in one monthly fee." I was so surprised that everything is covered in my house and they said, "Yes. That is electronic after your waiting period of 31 days of file could be claimed."

So I called and talk to someone online about the service and makes assured me that everything that I own in my home that’s electronic is covered. "Even your doorbell on your outside door is covered. If there’s any type of problem, even if you have a tablet, a laptop, Xbox is covered." I just couldn’t believe that is true and I did talk to someone about it and they said, "Yes, it is all covered." So I’m gonna mention this to my friends about this service. Thank you very very much.

Original review: May 27, 2022

Repair was perfect. 4 stars only because of scheduling issues. I was cancelled because repair tech was sick. I was called the night before and the man in the phone rescheduled me for the weekend. The next morning I missed a call from another Asurion person. Tried to call back and was on hold for extended time. >30 minutes. Had to use self schedule online and next appointment available was quite a bit in the future. I figured worst case scenario, someone showed up for the weekend like the first man on the phone said he scheduled me and we cancel the self “rescheduled” appointment could be cancelled.

No one showed up on the weekend or called me. I had to wait for the “rescheduled” appointment. I didn’t miss the appointment. It may appear in your system that I rescheduled because the appointment didn’t work for me but that is not what happened. Your tech was sick (which I understand totally) but communication broke down between the night before my original appointment and the next day when someone called me back.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Asurion replaced an LG 5 phone that my wife was using that had a cracked screen and a chronic weak battery issue with a LG G7 ThinQ Silver phone for a nominal additional charge of less than $200.00. The phone was mailed and received within 48 hours. We called the phone number provided with the phone for assistance in getting the phone set up. The person we talked to was knowledgeable and efficient and within an hour or so we had the phone connected to the internet, WIFI, the printer, and had retrieved all of my wife's emails, photos, phone contacts, etc. Unfortunately the text messages were not retrievable but no great loss.

There is, however, one issue that has not been resolved. The charger that was received with the LG G7 was not compatible with the phone. I called Asurion Customer Service and was told that a new charger would be sent. It has been four weeks and we have not yet received a compatible charger for the new phone. The issue with the charger is the only thing that kept me from giving a five star rating.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

My experience having a representative come to my house and replace my screen was excellent! Excellent in every way. However; when I first brought my phone into the store location in Newnan; Georgia for repair I was not overall happy. The gentleman that helped me was respectful and professional. But he insisted I give him my passcode and my phone for a 2 hour time frame. He insisted he could not replace my screen unless I did. If that's the case why did the agent that came to my home not tell me to unlock my phone but asked me to turn it off?

I can't imagine why anyone would unlock a phone and hand it over to anyone; a total stranger, for 2 hours? Why? How is my info protected? It would be like unlocking my phone and leaving it at Macdonald's for 2 hours. Who would do this? Not me! If the agent could replace the screen with it turned OFF- they need to be able to do the same at the repair store location. This DID NOT make me feel comfortable in any way. The personal info on someone's phone doesn't need to be open for access by anyone - especially a total stranger. This policy needs to be changed.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Excellent and super fast service! I’m so thankful for the insurance I have through Asurion! They quickly shipped my replacement phone and sent instructions for transferring information and activating the new phone. The entire process was really easy and the replacement phone was the best quality.

Original review: June 17, 2022

They were friendly and fast and was very helpful on what to do and gave me all the information I needed. After I received my new phone they helped me set it up. I can't say enough about how helpful they were.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Wasn't unnecessarily difficult to exchange broken iPad after a few questions. It was easy and quick. Received a replacement 3 days after processing. Paid a small fee, but to replace the iPad would have cost 3 times more. I'm completely satisfied and happy with my experience. Keep up the good work.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Great fast job getting my screen fixed. They also did extra work on my phone which made the experience 10X better. I got there and gave them my phone. Told them what I wanted done and it was done quicker than anywhere else around Puyallup.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Fast and courteous service. The customer service representative was kind and very professional. My new phone arrived the very next day. The whole process was seamless. Rest assured that you are going to get the very best service from Asurion.

Asurion Company Information