Learn More

4.7/5 (4185 ratings)

About Asurion

Asurion helps people protect, connect and enjoy the latest tech – to make life a little easier. Asurion phone insurance plans provide coverage above and beyond the typical warranty, including water damage or if your phone is lost or stolen. Asurion Home+ offers one simple plan that covers all your favorite home tech—no matter when or where you bought it. We value Asurion customers' reviews and feedback as it gives us an opportunity to continue to improve.

Pros

• Offers extensive coverage
  • Sends replacement phones quickly
  • Low monthly cost

Cons

• Replacement is not always identical
  • Not available for everyone

Bottom Line

Asurion offers mobile replacement plans and tech support for a variety of smartphones and mobile devices. The company works with many popular wireless service providers.

Top Asurion Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Making my claim was easy and efficient. I was promised my replacement in 2 business days, in came in 1 day and was delivered on a Saturday. Fast service, thank you! I received my ...

Verified

Speedy delivery of the replacement phone. Included in the package were clear directions on how to set up new phone and return directions. The return internal packaging was a nice ...

What is Asurion?

Asurion phone insurance helps cover the cost to repair or replace a cell phone if it is lost, stolen or damaged. The company also offers technical support to assist with some of the most common cell phone malfunctions. Its representatives can help you back up your contacts and photos, and you can get in touch with a mobile expert every time you have an issue on your device.

The Asurion Protection plan also includes an extended warranty on other expensive electronics, including TVs, laptops, desktop computers, tablets and home appliances.

What does Asurion cover?

Asurion phone insurance covers some of the most common issues cell phone users have with their phones. The company’s protection plans cover cracked phone screens, physical damage, mechanical failure, loss, theft, water damage and normal wear and tear. The insurance extends to accessories that come with your phone, such as chargers and earbuds.

If your phone is damaged in any of these ways, you can file a claim on the Asurion website. If the phone cannot be repaired, Asurion can send out a replacement phone the very next business day.

To enroll your cell phone in the Asurion cell phone coverage plan, you must call or visit your wireless provider to see if your phone is eligible. You're typically only eligible within the first 30 days of activating or upgrading your phone. The type of devices that are covered depends on the wireless provider.

How to file a claim with Asurion

To file a claim:

1. Go to the Asurion website and choose your wireless provider from the list.
  2. Enter your phone number and follow the instructions to report what happened to your device
  3. You will be notified of the status of your claim and can track the claim online
  4. Asurion will send you an email with tracking information for your replacement device

If you file a claim but need to cancel, you can do it right on the website. Depending on your wireless carrier, you can file up to three claims in a year.

Asurion phone insurance attempts to send you a replacement device that is the same make and model of your old one. However, sometimes the exact same phone is not available, and the company’s representatives choose an alternative that matches the form and functionality of the lost or damaged device. Your replacement device may be new or refurbished and the color, brand, model and features could vary based on availability.

Asurion prices

The Asurion wireless phone protection plan costs $7.15 per phone per month, and there is a cap of $1,500 per claim. Asurion offers other services at different price points, including cracked screen repair that starts at $29.

You must pay a deductible before insurance kicks in and pays for a repair or replacement. The deductible is typically far less than the retail price of a new phone, which saves you money in the long run.

Asurion FAQ

Does Asurion cover cracked screens?
Yes. Simply file a claim and, once it is confirmed as eligible, you can drop your phone off at an authorized repair dealer, have an expert repair technician come to you or mail your device to Asurion. Cracked phones can typically be repaired in a matter of hours, and authorized service repairs come with a one-year limited repair warranty.
Are Asurion phones refurbished?
Some are, yes. If you qualify for a replacement phone, it will either be a new phone or a refurbished phone.
How do I track my Asurion claim?
There is an easy-to-use tracking feature on the Asurion website that helps you track the status of your claim.
Where is Asurion located?
Asurion is based in Nashville but has locations across the country.
How long does Asurion take to ship?
Most replacement phones are shipped the day after the claim is finalized.

Is Asurion worth it?

Asurion offers a layer of protection if you are prone to dropping, breaking or losing your phone. However, if you're picky about the phone that you have, it's important to remember that you may not always receive a replacement phone that is identical to your lost or damaged device. The monthly cost is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of repairing or replacing high-end phones, which makes the service worth it for people who want to protect their devices.

Asurion Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Asurion?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

It was a relatively painless experience. Filling in the insurance form was pretty easy since everything was prompted. After receiving the replacement phone, setting it up was a breeze...I just let the phones "talk" to each other. The only hitch I had was activating the new phone. I apparently input the wrong information and the site prompted me to use the Chat, which I tried...but no one ever came on. I waited twenty minutes the first time and fifteen the second time I tried. There was no information as to my place in queue, so I had no reference as to how long it would take.

I finally called and spoke with a rep. who could only try three times to activate the phone... So, am now using the old SIM card...but after calling with regards to something on my bill, I was able to find the correct passwords, etc... (although "the password" was one I used when on the phone to activate and she said did not work...go figure.) Other than that...using your site and following the recommendations/directions was pretty straightforward...

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I had a horrible experience up until I received help from Jon **. A brief summary: a phone I received from Asurion Dec 2019 began to have software malfunctions. I went to website and was guided to the claims form which I submitted and paid $199. The Asurion tech who delivered my phone and was supposed to set it up for me in fact did not do it correctly causing me to have to go into Verizon and completely reset and download my iCloud (he did not install the sim card). Then I realized the phone was under a one year warranty and should have been covered.

After a one hour and 26 min phone call, Jon ** went above and beyond to treat the situation humanly and explain my situation to his superiors. Instead of policy/procedure that would cause me to send back the new phone I received under a new claim and then receive another phone from warranty, Jon saw the logical choice and made the effort to do it: I received a refund for the $199, could keep the phone that was delivered to me and send back the original phone. It is very meaningful to have a genuine experience where a large company treats their customers as humans and actually help to resolve a problem in the least stressful way for the customer. He was knowledgeable, patient, thought outside the "box", and provided outstanding customer service.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

It was simple and easy to schedule an appointment for someone to come to my house for my repair. The only difficulty was when I filled out the online repair request. It stated the IMEI of the phone must match the one on record or the repair wouldn't be done. There is an extra number at the end of the IMEI they didn't mention. A quick call to a very pleasant customer service representative cleared up my confusion, and I finished scheduling my repair online. At the scheduled time, a very professional young man came out and efficiently and quickly replaced the cracked screen on my phone. It's as good as new now.

While scheduling my repair, I noticed my wife's phone had horrible screen burn. She filled out a claim and found it required a complete phone replacement. She received a replacement phone quickly, easily transferred most of her information to the new phone, and then returned the old phone with the convenient return mailer. Overall, a painless and easy evolution from start to finish for both of us.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Went online to get a replacement phone for my wife’s phone that fell and broke the back of the phone. Automated call said this was not covered and call ended. We called back the next day and spoke to an actual person and went through the claim process and she got a new phone in the way and we paid the deductible. She was a little hard to understand but all went well and we received the phone in 2 days. We got online and tried to follow the steps to activate new phone but it was not clear and there was not a real person available to talk to.

We went to our AT&T store and the representative was very kind and got us started on activating the phone and providing exact instructions on how to restore the phone from a backup on our computer. All went well and we now have a new functioning phone. We know there are many difficulties with the coronavirus going on now, but a lack of personnel to help restore the phone during a phone call is sometimes needed for people that are not technically inclined and do not want to lose or mess up their new phone.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I was very pleased with my experience with filing an insurance claim with Asurion. My iPhone was in great condition and less than 2 years old when it got liquid damaged, and I was devastated at the thought of having to purchase a brand new phone, especially when they are so incredibly expensive. I knew I had protection through my carrier, so I looked through the handbook to see if liquid damage was covered, and was so relieved to find out that I would be eligible for a replacement device. I filed my claim online Tuesday, had a small deductible charged to my account, and received a new device in the mail by Thursday.

I called Asurion to activate my new device, and the process could not have been easier. The representative was so friendly and helpful, and quickly got my new device activated. Sending in my old device was easy as well with the box, prepaid label, and even strip of tape provided for me. The entire process was so easy and so worth the small price each month to make sure mine and my family's expensive devices are protected.

Original review: June 13, 2021

The claim was self explanatory to start. I received my replacement phone promptly as I lost/got mine stolen. And received the help needed on time. Was able to activate my new iPhone and so far so good. Wasn’t aware of the deductible but I guess it was my fault…

Original review: June 13, 2021

Phone was delivered within 24 hours. Excellent result. Everything was handled on line and was without hassle. No complaints. No issues. The replacement phone works perfectly. I plan to return the old phone soon. I really have nothing else to say. It was all good.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Placed my order later in the afternoon and the phone arrived the next day! Great customer service. They had to repair my phone because it was too much damage to the phone. I’ve never used my insurance before for any phone. I’m glad I did this time.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Topnotch service! This protection plan was a complete life saver, I had my replacement phone in hand 24 hrs later! Instructions were easy to follow and returning damaged phone was a breeze due to shipment box enclosed.. I highly recommend this protection plan!

Original review: June 13, 2021

Prompt and easy to communicate with. From customer service to tech were efficient and courteous and had my problems resolved very quickly and cost effective as it could be. Tech was on time and replaced screen in a decent time. The other phone was shipped to me and was easy to transport all my data.

Asurion Company Information