1.30/5
Based on 53 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

67 airtel Prepaid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I recharged my airtel sim with a pack of 3 months data pack with unlimited calling and 1.4gb data daily. When I was in Pune the internet service was quite good. But now in Mumbai it is pathetic. It is giving 2g internet service even for a 4g pack. Even after complaining twice they are saying, "It is a problem with your area." But why are these people coming up with so many ads saying that best coverage in Mumbai. All this is fake. The service is really bad. They have not improved a bit with their service.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I switched to Airtel from Idea because speed and network of Airtel was decent in my area... After some days network started to shut off very frequently... I raised complaints against Airtel... Nobody even noticed Or even I didn't get any kind of feedback from company. And even today the even on 4g settings the network speed is slower than tortoise. I raised complaints multiple times. Nobody takes any kind of action. They just pretend to listen to you. But none action is taken.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

One star just for the network availability. Otherwise these people are your balance money leechers. They turn on useless value added services without your permission and even after your complaint they continue doing so. Further when you try to turn them off they redirect you to the main menu. The cherry on the top of cake is there is no human being/customer supervisor on their so called customer care no. You are made to talk to a machine about useless services. They keep my balance zero by turning on value added services and keep charging for them. I don't even know how to use them and I have to pay for them!! With my zero balance I can't even do a miscall, further they ask me to take a loan for that sake!! By doing this UNETHICAL practice this company would be making millions (my friends and family has complained this).

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had a very bad experience with AIRTEL. Recently I converted my number from AIRTEL Postpaid to prepaid. My number was converted (7th Oct 2018 at 10:00 PM) and due to technical issue Airtel retailers are unable to initiate my first recharge. It’s been more than 4 days still am unable to use any service like outgoing call and mobile data. I did multiple follow ups with 121@airtel.com and they are not even providing their assistance. Very poor service from Airtel. Customer support also very bad. They don't have any solution regarding my number.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

From last 6 months the Internet speed was very slow. I am unable to browse even small apps. How many months will you take to fix this. There is no use of adding the previous data balance to present because we are unable to use data only. Jio networks signals are very better than Airtel. I am an Airtel customer for 7 years but I am facing huge disturbance with network this year. Even calls are not reachable properly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about airtel Prepaid?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I Have a Airtel Prepaid number. I have recharged with 558 Plan where I will get 3GB 4G data and all local, National and Roaming calls free. But when I have activated this plan since then I am not able to even browse the web page. I lost net. I have complained two to three times to airtel, they told me that there is a problem of maintenance and it will be resolved soon. Its been three months, the resolving process is still going on... The actual problem of airtel is they want to compete with JIO but don't want give service, that's why they introduce plans and stopped services. I have wasted money and time. Please do not use Airtel...

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I had 2 Airtel Prepaid numbers, ** and **, both linked to my Aadhaar Card. Because I was overseas for several months, both numbers got deactivated without any notice. I would like to know the reason and also why the balance remaining in the deactivated cards has not been refunded to me. This is fraudulent behavior on Airtel's part, and efforts to get an answer by calling their hotline 121 is hopeless, also no email channel to complain. Would much appreciate advice/assistance.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Got my number ported from Jio to Airtel. After the sim started showing signals I went to retailer who tried many times but was unable to recharge it. Then I reached to Airtel store in sector 110 where also they were not able to provide me with any help and asked me to visit Airtel store in sector 18. Sector 18 is about 25 km away from my home and it is not easy for me to reach there in weekdays due to my job and during weekends the store is closed. So I tried to reach Airtel online by mailing them still haven't received any help from them either.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I recharged 499 in website name called www.airtel.in. I waited for a long time but the recharge did not come to my mobile and then I called customer care (198) and they told that after 10 days your money will be back or recharge will come but so far nothing is done. And I mailed Nobel officer of Airtel Chennai. They simply said, "We can't find any transaction," but my bank debited the money and it clearly said that Airtel is debited. SO BE CAREFULLY WHILE USING AIRTEL SPAM ALERT. And now I am going to change the port.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I recharging my Sim with 509 to 500 rs unlimited package, that is unlimited calls and 2 GB data/day but it's useless, calls are disturbing & there is no network in Bangalore Whitefield area limits (useless). Worst network I have ever seen.

Original review: July 21, 2018

It seems customers having prepaid unlimited packs are not allowed to place calls to service numbers (bank customer care etc)...when contacted customer care responded that unlimited calls are only to private mobiles and landlines...and in order to make calls to service numbers we are supposed to recharge with top up balance...wtf is that logic? Why am I having a unlimited pack in my sim if I have to do a top up again?? Airtel is looting customers big time. The same service number I'm able to make a call from my friends Jio prepaid unlimited sim that means Airtel is ready to stoop to any level to loot money.

Original review: May 26, 2018

No 1 Worst Net Work in India is Airtel - I had ported from idea to airtel. That idea is not working properly so I had changed to Airtel and asks to customer care Lothugunta. They told your location is airtel good so please take. I had taken. Now it is tower full up and down and calling is very disturbing. Please don't take airtel sim. If any doubts call my no. I will clearly briefing to you.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Frustrating experience on calling Airtel customer care. Their guidance system to the customer care through phone is hopeless. It’s like a tension and difficult task to get to talk to their customer care people. I have decided to stop using Airtel because they don’t have a customer service which is simple and easy to access and when someone by luck picks up the phone they will say they have called the wrong person. Why are they keeping this service complicated and also the option to call their customer service is kept at last, we have to wait and hear all the Airtel stupid offers. Just stop your service. I am switching my network.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I'm from Kargil the worst speed of 4G in Ladakh. In here the airtel 4g is just like BSNL 2 here worst problem of airtel 4g. We complain to the airtel network authorities but they didn't reply of our application.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Nowadays Airtel became worst service provider in India. I have done recharge on 08-apr-18. It has 28days validity. Airtel has disconnected the network before it reached 12 o clock on 05-apr-18. Network has been disconnected @ 10.45PM. They had advertised themselves as 4g provider. I am living in a town where they distributed internet like 2g speed. But they got money from customers for 4g speed internet. If we give money less than the recharge amount, would they accept it?

Original review: April 24, 2018

Airtel is cheater company. They sends fake offers about recharge and channel packages. After recharge will be done, they will not provide same offer and same channel packages. I am user of airtel digital TV (consumer id: **). They given me offer via sms that if I recharge with Rs 1499 (for 6 months) then I will get 6 months free. But after I recharged with same amount I did not get any offer. In addition they removed many existing channels from my package. I called customer care but they did not respond.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Get 7-8 calls in a day from different numbers each time asking me to switch my company mobile number service provider, I kept telling, "It's my office number and we don't have any rights to change the service provider," and yet these people shamelessly keep calling. When I got upset and told the lady to stop spam calls, she rudely replies I need to activate DND on my number then. Geniuses, I have done DND already and yet the spam calls do not stop. Some of the spam numbers **.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I'm from B'lore and I'm using Airtel service from last 4yrs. Now I'm facing problem (Internet service) from last 4 months. I informed to customer service that internet not available on NOV 2017. Airtel customer service: "Due to upgradation of the tower you will not get the proper internet. We taken your complaint. It will be resolved within 48Hrs." After 48Hrs. I asked them, "Still not getting internet. When it is going to be solved?" Airtel customer service: "We can't say exactly. Maximum days will be 90 days." I called them so many times they keep on saying the same thing. Later I moved to other Internet service provider for the next two months (Dec-Jan).

In Jan 2018 I asked them (Airtel) again about upgradation of tower is complete or not in my area. "Can I recharge now." Airtel customer service: "Yes, It's working fine. You can recharge." As per their advice I recharged again for 399/- on 15th Jan 2018. From that day itself I faced same problem again. I discussed this issue with more than 5 customer service representative from junior level to manager level. Everyone took 3 days each to solve, but no one provide me the solution. They keep on extending days.

One of the manager told me that, He don't know the project ending date! Then who knows? Another supervisor told me that, "Recharge is your problem. Not ours. You supposed to check with Chota internet pack first to check whether internet is coming in your area or not." This means without knowing any kind of information or any knowledge, they are advising people to recharge. If they (customer service) don't have information about internet in my area, then whom should I ask before recharging?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I am from Chandigarh. I've been experiencing internet problem with Airtel. I recharged with Rs.399 pack last month, and since then I have been very disappointed with the speed that I get on my phone. Though I use the 3G Network but even then it's speed most of the times is found to be worst than 2G network speed. When I go out in Open space the net starts working normally, but as soon as I enter my home the network just diminishes sometimes. One day I called up to the Airtel customer care, and after examining, the customer care executive said that the network in my area is under upgradation.

I said this is happening for the last 2/3 months, and then I asked what time will it take to work the network normally and he said "I can't say anything about that"... then I asked him that if the company is going to pay back the compensation for this loss of customer as I have already recharged for Rs.399 and the service I am getting is worst... And his answer was again a big "NO". I heard in recent days that Airtel has conducted its 5G network test. If Airtel officials are reading this view, then they should first get to the reality of their network speeds in each and every part of the country. Let alone the idea to bring 5G, Airtel need to bring speed to its 3G and 4G networks first.

According to survey India stands 13th (worst position) in the 4G speeds as compared to other developing countries. Even Pakistan and Sri Lanka have better internet speeds than us... And lastly, if I do not get any compensation for my loss of money and data from Airtel after upgradation of its network, I will be left with last option, i.e. Consumer Forum.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

The Airtel is on spree of looting customers. Earlier it disputed payment of Rs. 1655/ and now of Rs. 420- duly paid to it as per my bank passbook entries. I have already sent scanned copy of passbook showing me having made payment of Rs 1655 on 16.12.17 to Airtel and its standing credited to Airtel Account and now I am sending scanned copy of passbook showing payment of Rs 420/- duly paid to Airtel on 6.2.2018. The Airtel is so shameless that it did not stop demanding the payment of 1655/- even after seeing the passbook entry and this payment having come in its Account.

I paid the same again to make my civil and criminal cases strong against it. So it is on record that against its bill for Rs. 1655 for Dec. 2017 it coerced me to pay 3300/- for the same. I made payment of Rs 3000/- towards bills of Dec. Jan. and Airtel demanded Rs. 420 by stating that total of bills for Dec. and Jan was 3,420 and not Rs. 3000 as paid by me. I soon thereafter made payment of balance amount of Rs. 420/- on 6.2.2018 to clear the balance besides my payment of Rs. 1655 having been paid earlier towards the bills as above which remained in excess.

The payment of Rs. 420 is duly credited in Airtel's account on 6.2.2018 as shown in the passbook entries scanned copy whereof is attached. Despite the bank transactions showing the Airtel having received this payment of Rs. 420/- also like that of Rs. 1655/- it is not accepting having received this also and have added the same in its present bill. Even the daylight robbers try to ensure that no evidence of their robbery is left behind. But Airtel is robbing by leaving all evidences showing the same in the open. Anyhow keep on continuing. The matters are soon coming up in courts of law against its calculated fraud and cheating. The customer care has become deaf and is not responding to my mails repeatedly being sent to it against the same.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I am Vijay **, working in abroad and I have Airtel Prepaid number ** in which outgoing call facility is being barred. But I am able to send message & receive incoming calls. So kindly look into my issue for getting my outgoing calls facility also.

Original review: May 7, 2017

The worst company you would ever to choose. They give different offer on same recharge to different people. I have recharged with 449 pack, I got 56 days but my friend got 70 days on same recharge. I asked the customer care. They rudely said "Can't give you." What a stupid company. You better choose a company who don't discriminate among users.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Airtel is the worst network ever used. Even care centre employs are too rude and don't handle the problem properly. After getting the connection no one is there to help you. Always faced problem. Employs are so uneducated, harsh to you. Never to visit the store or call cc...

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

It has once been advertised that we consumers can recharge our AirTel line by dialing *555*PIN# and we'll be credited with 5 times of recharge and free data bundle alongside your original account balance. I try recharging NGN2000 today using that same method hoping to subscribe with the money but it turns out to be another thing entirely. My main account balance was cleared and I was credited with bonus of NGN12000.

This action wasn't publicized earlier before now which made me to call their customer care representative and they begin to tell me tales and fairy that the plan has changed. Changed???? Without informing the public about the change!!! WTF! Is that, then they begin to apologize. AirTel mislead people by changing from their initial plan to a new one without even informing the public about it. AirTel! You are a monster. AirTel! You sucks. :-(

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

I recently purchased the Airtel 4G LTE dongle in Pune. I was assured by the salesperson that 4G connectivity was definitely there in my society. I tried it and only got 3g and 2g connectivity that too at speeds below 2 MBPS. I have complained numerous times to Airtel Customer care. If you send them a complaint via internet they send an auto responder saying their executive will get in touch within 2 hours. It has been three days and after four complaints no one has called. I tried calling the customer care number three times, each time they would listen to me and just as they are ready to issue me a token number for my complaint the phone would get disconnected. I called the sales guy who sold me the dongle, he promised to raise a complaint and have it attended within 2 hours. Again nothing.

I even sent tweets to the official Airtel India number but only get assurances that they have forwarded my complaint to the right department and someone will get in touch. This "someone" must be a very busy person because no one from Airtel has bothered to be in touch. Meanwhile I have paid Rs 2300 for a dongle and am being charged for a service I am not using. Please do not waste your time with Airtel.

Original review: July 17, 2016

Two day ago I have lost my phone and my AirTel sim. And when I go to store he say "please purchase anywhere HLR-1 sim and comes with proper ID proof." When I do everything correctly, he say "we not activate your number." So this my important number. My all official and banking details connected so please reactivate my number please.

Original review: June 9, 2016

I have ported my cell phone no from Idea to AirTel. Now I from Idea it is ported and not start in the AirTel they. If you complain to AirTel that your number is not working they will give assurance but they will not tell you the problem and also they do not resolve your problem so never port your number to AirTel. If you port ready to lost after waiting a month. I have to take new number.

Original review: May 9, 2016

My mother went to AirTel store to have a particular number reissued to her because its my brother's number who is in US now and will be back soon. They took all the documents and said that someone will come for the verification. The verification guy checked everything and told my mother that they don't issue SIM cards to housewives??? Isn't that really stupid? Can someone please confirm if this is really true or the verification guy has no idea what he was talking about?

Original review: April 6, 2016

Hello sir, if you can't give good offer, it's ok but don't send fake msg to recharge to get that GB data. I got msg that recharge 299 you get 10 GB data. Now I got 1 GB. What you all think about people if I call 198 now they telling "We don't know." It may come or may not. What it mean you should msg that is magic offer. Simply you waste money. This is not 1st time. I call 198 but no one reply properly. From many years we using 5 to 6 AirTel number from 9 to 10 years. If you play like this, you lost respect and your value from people.

Original review: March 27, 2016

I contact to AirTel customer care about 2 hours. I want to take help about AirTel 4g hotspot setting but each department just they are transferring from one to another. And again and again. Finally they are transferring to offer department. When I called to technical department of AirTel but they are also not avail to help about AirTel 4g hotspot. I am fully disappointment about AirTel Telecom. I am fully shocked that they don't know about AirTel product and services. I called to 121, 9831717070, 12118, 18001022244, 9900900789. All are AirTel customer care number. They are not useful. AirTel service are going down. Regards.

airtel Prepaid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

airtel is one of the largest global wireless providers in number of subscribers. The company operates in Asia and Africa and is headquartered in New Delhi, India. They offer both prepaid and contract plans.

• airtel Money: airtel customers can add money to an airtel Money account. Using airtel Money, they can pay bills, purchase railway tickets and more. These activities will not count against their text message or data services.

• Roaming: Customers can use their phones even when roaming both domestically and internationally. They can visit the airtel website to see what charges are associated with roaming.

• myPack: Customers can design their own plan with myPack. They can choose how much data they need as well as how many minutes and text messages they want. They can also select pre-designed packs that meet their budget.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also refill their account directly from an ATM. This option is available at ATMs from major banks.

• Features: airtel prepaid plans include voicemail, call waiting, holding and caller ID.

• Best for: airtel is best for budget-conscious consumers in Asia and Africa.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs