2.98/5

106 Leaders Merchant Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Very reliable company! The Clover is perfect for my local window cleaning business! I was able to customize it according to my business needs! I was a little bit reluctant to make the switch to credit card processing, but I’m happy I did. My business has really benefited from having an all-in-one point of sales terminal. My customers seem to really appreciate it too!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I didn't realize how much of an asset a merchant service provider could be until now. I signed up with Leaders two months ago and they provided equipment upon approval. Everything has been working great and my customers have actually noticed a change in my business. Speedy transactions and much more efficient sales. This is exactly what I needed for my small business. Not only have I seen improvements in the way my company is running, I feel like I have a dependable business partner with Leaders. They have made it a priority to do whatever they can to help my business grow!

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Excellent rates for a merchant service company. Through my research, I found that Leaders had the best rates for their service and products. I decided to give them a shot and I was approved that same day. A customer service representative gave me all the information I needed through the contract and assured me he would be available for any questions I had in the future. One month later and I can honestly say I am content! Great products and even better customer service!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

If you are looking for a merchant service provider and you want to save your money I would recommend Leaders. Very affordable option for a startup business! Of course I did my research beforehand and I am happy I did. I no longer have to struggle through each transaction for my customers. The POS system provided has saved me so much time and headache! Great work guys!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Signing up with Leaders Merchant Services was extremely easy to do, considering the fact that TWO of our neighbors work them! Our bookstore is located right in the middle of Fort Myers strip malls next to a nail salon and a cookie shop. Both neighboring businesses have never complained about Leaders once! The nail salon has the Clover Flex and the cookie shop has the Clover Station. We also went with the Clover Station to better fit our customer's needs. We're even connected to Apple Pay. These millennials are all about it so we had to get it to keep up with them. It's been hard these past couple years to keep the business alive, but with recent changes in our merchant processing services, the people haven't been afraid to buy! Thanks, Leaders Merchant Services for the cool new and easy to use Clover Station!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Leaders Merchant Services?

Original review: May 21, 2019

First off please note that I have never had a merchant service account and still do not have one. I am very ignorant of this whole aspect of doing business and it is very confusing. With this in mind, I called Leaders after reading several good reviews online and was given a very competitive verbal quote. In order to see if I was qualified for the pricing quoted I was asked to fill out an application and wait for 14 days for approval... only to find out the next day that I was already locked into a three year agreement with a $350 early cancellation fee! I then dug deeper into Google and found hundreds of other people had experienced the same thing.

I quickly closed my business bank account since they had all my private info. I never used their service and immediately called them to cancel but was told that I had already signed the agreement. Up to this time I still had no copy of this agreement. They emailed the agreement and sure enough it was there in the fine print. I called customer service and spoke to an ice cold rep who only kept repeating that I signed the agreement and should have read the fine print but offered to try to negotiate a lower penalty. I asked for justification of the charge and got no response except that I signed the agreement. This is obviously a trap built into their sales presentation. This company is very scary. They operate under other names. I was actually signed up under "iPayment" and told it was again. It was "pay safe". Run away as fast as you can.

Original review: May 20, 2019

You should definitely avoid this firm for many reasons. They offer no real customer service and once you sign up you are in their pockets for 3 years with no back door to exist. We never used a credit card reader before and wanted to try it out. It just seemed that we were losing more money than we expected to from the charges. The worst part is we sold our business and now are being told we are obligated to pay an early termination fee of $350. This is unheard of as many other companies have no cancellation fees. Avoid Leaders and look for a better firm that doesn't suck you in and take your money.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I would never recommend this business. They are incredibly difficult to deal with deal with. Every time you call to get anything accomplished they transfer you to a bunch of different people, and it takes days to get a resolution. I tried to cancel my account with them because they were charging me at least 50$ in “additional fees” every month, and not only did they not cancel my account they have charged me 425$ in the last four months without my knowledge. Using this company has been a terrible experience.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Read the other horrible reviews about them creating an account without full permission, charging $350 termination fees, bad customer service. This is all true. I called this number for Leaders specifically. 800-554-2777. You will get someone. Get the name and keep detailed records of your conversations. This is the number for Customer Relations that services many merchant services including Leaders, Flagship and many more. 888-251-2141. The message will tell you your wait time is 80,000 minutes...I found someone will answer. Just keep on on speaker while doing other things. Dispute with your bank. I finally got the $350 back for cancelling an account that should not have been created in the first place.

Supposedly they record calls, so I called them on it and told them to listen to the calls. Bear in mind, if you do go thru with an application, then decide you don't want them anymore, they will slap you hard with a bogus cancellation fee. You could proactively shut your bank account down and change the number if you are afraid they will charge you. The sales rep sent me emails confirming I did not actually ask them to be my merchant service provider and that they would put the money back. I took almost 3 weeks to be done with them. Also, with any merchant service company, including Flagship, it is important for small businesses to go over the rates and fees every few months. They are SNEAKY!!

Original review: May 3, 2019

This company has been the worst experience of my entire business career. They’re literally stole hundreds of dollars from me, refused to refund me, lies countless times and enough is enough. From getting hung up on to being given wrong information, I’m filing a complaint and suing them. Please contact me if you’d like to a part of this case, together we can show them they’re not going to treat businesses like this.

Original review: May 2, 2019

They have overcharged my account by $500! Can’t get ahold of anyone within this company. You sit on hold for hours!!! No sympathy. No Empathy. HOW someone hasn’t investigated this company by now blows my mind!!! TERRIBLE is a soft word compared to what they truly represent.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Leaders Merchant Services is the worse company I have ever dealt with. They have withdrawn fees from our checking account that was never revealed to us. You cannot get an answer from their customer service department. They have scammed hundreds of businesses out of money. Our Rep, Kenny **, is a liar! He told us so many lies during his recruitment process but will not speak with me now. I am also filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and The Alabama State Attorney General's office. This company needs to be stopped!

Original review: April 15, 2019

Being able to process credit and debit card charges and pay the lowest fees for those transactions is critical to my business. Leaders has never let us down. I am happy to recommend Leaders Merchant Services.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Leaders, Flagship, Paysafe...all the same company. What a horrible experience. Customer service in Boston is simply incompetent to say the least. There are three people who handle Boston and all untrustworthy individuals do nothing except lie. The female hung up on me when I asked her questions and the two males create accounts for you that are never setup properly. Doug ** is a moron and his pal Shane ** is another "do-nothing," incompetent liar. All departments answer the phone as a different company. All customer service telephone numbers lead to a rep telling you that you have to speak with a different dept. All use the same excuse that "they are still working out the kinks on a recent merger...that happened two years ago."

It is a vicious cycle of BS and a black hole worth avoiding. I was warned by other reviews NOT to go with this company, but I was eager to find a solution. I dealt with the headaches long enough and finally found a better solution. Do also note that these companies, Flagship, Leaders, Paysafe and others (all related??) will tell you there are no hidden fees, but they do add fees and you will pay more than you're led to believe. So grateful to end this relationship. I have no idea how they even stay in business and have not been shut down.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My husband decided not to use this company after signing up and getting their card reader. He decided to keep Square. He tried and tried for months to get his account cancelled. 6 months later, they are still charging us over $100/month. You can never get through to anyone to cancel; they're always busy and will call you back (which they don't). I got through by pretending to want services and I got a rep. He was constantly giving us the runaround as to canceling my husband's account. "Someone will be getting up with you soon to cancel." 6 months later and we are going to have to cancel my husband's business checking account in order to stop them. They are absolutely horrible!

Original review: April 6, 2019

Like many other people, I was also researching merchant account companies and lo and behold, Leaders Merchant Services popped up as number one for customer service and equipment. Go to find out, the site that is a paid advertisement in Google search results. I guess with all the money that Leaders steals from people, they can afford to pay these other con artists to rate them number one.

I too called to simply inquire about pricing one day and when I spoke to the representative (Nic) on March 26 of 2019, I was put through the typical application process. At no time during the review process was I told or even saw on the document that it was in fact a contract of any kind. Again, this was simply to inquire about pricing, not to sign any contracts yet. Upon completion, the rep hangs up and I receive an email welcoming me as a customer. I was then sent an actual docusign contract to agree to purchase the equipment at a specified price ($91) and an activation email to activate my online portal. I still didn't realize that I had even agreed to any services yet.

Needless to say I cancelled the services the very next day with the merchant closure form, which doesn't state anywhere that there would be a $350 cancellation fee. When I did this they had a hard time helping me because I didn't even have a merchant account number yet. It was less than 24 hours from when I opened the account, that's literally how quickly I did this as to avoid any unwanted nonsense. Well lo and behold 48 hours later I see a charge on my bank account for $350. I was irate. I treat everyone with respect until they no longer deserve it. When I called I was told that I had signed a contract (application forms aren't contracts) and that the cancellation fee was $350 which is nowhere to be found on any application form I went through when inquiring about pricing. It's nowhere to be found on the merchant closure form either.

After getting nowhere with customer service, they offered to transfer me to another department but I told her it was too late for that. The next people they would be talking to is my bank after I flag the charge as fraudulent. And that's where it stands right now. I've written a letter to my bank with various screenshots from emails and further detail into how the sign up process went when I thought I was simply filling out an application to see if I qualify and what the fees would be, not agreeing to any long term service contract.

To this day I still never received a copy of that application that apparently says I'm now in a contract or that a cancellation fee even exists. Probably because it's false to begin with. Do NOT do business with these people, go with Square. Half these merchant companies are just a bunch of crooks that nickel and dime small business owners to death because they think we don't have the means to do anything about it. They are mistaken. I've already read a few comments here about people who have taken this company to court and I'm sure many others will follow.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We signed up with readers because they were 1) highly rated, 2) offered competitive rates and 3) stated that they would not charge a monthly fee. Their service seemed good and they did offer 24-7 support. After a few months, we noticed that they were charging us a monthly fee for the reader. We tried to reach them on the weekend to question the charge, but 24-7 did not apply to that kind of issue. They had slipped charges into the final agreement and would not give any kind of a refund. We canceled the account and shut them off from drafting our account. They did not request the return of the reader, so I am expecting there may still be a fight over that. I would not ever consider using them again and would never recommend them.

Original review: March 29, 2019

In my 10 years as a small business owner, Leaders provided my credit card processing. As far as cost and usability, they were fine-- probably about average-to-good as other ones, though I never explored the option of changing processing companies once it was set up, since -- as many a small business owner knows-- once the systems are in place one is often loathe to shake up the flow. However, if had I known then what I know now, seeking out a different company most definitely would have been worth it.

My main issue arose when I was sent an email (amidst their many other multiple forms of frequent contact --phone calls, multiple emails from different departments and people-- making it very difficult to manage just which of those were the actual, direct line of communication, let alone keep track of what is junk mail and what is actual stuff to pay attention to) containing some information on a free trial of a new program I had been enrolled in (without my consent), with a partner company, after which when the free trial had expired I would be billed monthly, at $19.99. You may be thinking, this is a scam, as did I, and immediately emailed back saying I never asked to be enrolled and to please cancel my account immediately.

I never wanted it, never asked for it, never used it, and specifically requested to be removed from it-- so you can imagine my surprise when I come to find that I have been being billed all along (it's easy to sneak that in there when you are already paying their fees, which vary anyway depending on how much business you do and come at inconsistent times). Fast-forward to me trying to call someone to speak to them about this (actually I had already tried once and failed-- they seemed not to know what I was even talking about), which coincided with me having to cancel my account entirely as I had sold my business (yay, me) and would no longer be needing their services.

I was sent to 4 different departments in 2 phone calls, had different information from each person I spoke to, as well as lost connection -- on their end-- both times during the call and when *finally* given the instructions on how to cancel my normal Leaders account (a process, by the way, that is archaic and time-consuming-- an irritatingly obvious tactic), I discover that not only am I still paying for this cockamamie additional "business service" from a DIFFERENT COMPANY at $19.99/month that somehow I never was able to opt out of, but now I also was being given a *ridiculous* set of instructions to cancel my main account.

Even though my company had already sold, and I was calling so I could stop this cycle ASAP-- I was told I could not cancel over the phone and that I would have to wait for an email (from a different department, of course), which would include a "document" --which turned out to be a non-descript piece of paper with check boxes for you to mark as to why you are requesting to cancel, with room for "explanation" (don't get me started on my feelings about companies that make you prove your reasons beyond a simple "because I said so" for cancelling a service to which you are in no way obligated), after which I had received I was to fill out, PRINT, and then after signing it, I would then need to take a picture of it, because I was going to have to email it back. Then, once they received that email with the request, my account would be cancelled. Or so it seemed.

Turns out, 4 weeks later after a long overdue holiday with no phones, I receive the last of what was apparently a string of phone calls from the Customer Service manager at Leaders, desperate to get ahold of me because--shockingly(not)-- my account had not cancelled because I did not PRINT MY NAME IN ADDITION TO MY SIGNATURE. It did not matter that my name was there on the email, and on the form at the top. And made phone calls. And reported to the BBB. No, my account could not be cancelled because I did not print my name directly above my signature on that farce of a document.

Obviously, all of these ludicrous obstacles are in place to get as much money as they can from you with hidden fees, and to milk your time with them so you're paying for all this even as you are trying to cancel. Now if you are wondering how can all this be legal well-- of course it is, because you have signed your life away in your original paperwork when you originally contracted with Leaders, 6 years ago. You have no recourse, you have no rights.

IN SUMMARY: DO NOT USE LEADERS MERCHANT SERVICES. Anyone with half a brain can see that they use confusing tactics to charge hidden fees and get away with it-- banking on the fact that most consumers they are dealing with are small business owners and because of the soul-crushing overwhelming responsibility that running a small business is--some might conveniently miss an email, or send a cancellation request to the wrong address, or get cut off while they are on the phone and be too busy to call back.... or god forbid NOT TYPE THEIR NAME IN THE RIGHT SPOT.

And when you finally have your small beans customer good and frustrated from these violations, you can send your very Patient-Because-She's-Used-to-Getting-Yelled-At Customer Service Manager to sweep up the mess (and by sweep up I mean: Stay with me on the phone to make sure I TYPE MY NAME in the right spot and email it--again, while I'm on the phone, so it will for sure be cancelled this time-- not to actually FIX anything they did), and you can embarrass yourself by having a good shout at her because in reality, this is the longest and most clear communication you've had with anyone at Leaders in all of the 7 years of using them, and then you'll feel more calm, you'll both have a good laugh, and everything will be hunky-dory. Oh except for the hundreds of dollars they pilfered from you and you're never getting that back.

Is it legal? Yes. But is it good business and is it right? Absolutely not. This is highway robbery as far as I'm concerned, and --Mr. CEO of Leaders (I can't imagine this would be a woman's kind of scheme...preying on the little people) all I have to say is: You should be ashamed of yourself. Go pick on people your own size.

Original review: March 22, 2019

My husband and I started a very small business. Leaders Merchant services contacted me. A salesman said he could help us with a system that could make our business go much smoother. Things did not work out with the system but according to them a account was opened. We were not aware how it worked and were never contacted again. A few months later all these charges were being taken out of our account I contacted them with it. Customer services really is terrible. No one to talk with that knows what they are doing. Finally got a hold of someone and the bottom line anyone new or is in business now never use them. They got hundreds of dollars from us. Never trust anyone that does not communicate with their clients.

Original review: March 21, 2019

SCAM! Do not believe a word these people say! HIDDEN FEES EVERYWHERE! Even worse customer service! Don’t know how they got rated so high! Must have paid for themselves to be rated! Once they get you on the hook for services watch out. Please take the time to read all of the negative reviews, they’re spot on! Good reviews must be posted by employees or family members. I closed my account within two weeks of opening it! Started getting hidden fees right away!

Original review: March 19, 2019

In December 2018 our small business, which already has a credit card processing company, was looking at the different rates other credit card processing companies could charge. Leaders advertised that they could beat any rates. I asked what their rates were and they told me I had to fill out an application in order to get a rate quote. I did that. A few days later a credit card terminal showed up at my door. I emailed them stating that we had never agreed to do business with them, we just wanted their rates. I didn't hear back from them. Keep in mind, they were borderline harassing us when they wanted our business, calling four times a day, even when I asked them not to.

Now when I had an issue with them, I couldn't get anyone to respond to me. I mailed the terminal back to them on 12-18-18. I emailed them stating that if they had opened an account, to please close it. On 3.14.19 they charged us a $350 early termination fee and refuse to refund us. I had to track down the tracking information for the terminal I sent back. I emailed them the proof two days ago and have not heard back. I spent 20 minutes on hold today trying to solve this and 38 minutes on the phone yesterday. It has been a complete nightmare. Their business practices are fraudulent and shady. I certainly hope anyone else shopping around for cc processing companies does their homework and avoids Leaders like the plague.

Original review: March 7, 2019

This is by far the WORST experience I have had with a company. Contacted them for online payment processing. I am a non-profit organization raising money for kids' school sports programs. Needed something donors could do online. They set me up with "Expinet" - turns out LM were basically subcontracting. Expinet Website / company was TERRIBLE to set up and failed to process half of my organization's donor's payments. The fields I selected to gather the donor information actually didn't gather ANYTHING! I asked support why that was and he admitted he did not know why.

Every time I had a questions the person on the phone said they'd have to ask their expert and get back to me - which they never did. No mobile-friendly view. After many hours trying to learn the product so I could be sure it wasn't MY mistake, I was convinced - this was just a really bad product. AND THEY WERE CHARGING PROCESSING FEES! Many attempts to get help failed. They left me a message finally saying that this online payment thing was new and they were working out "bugs"! One of them was that people who went on explorer browser somehow weren't getting processed. Great time for me to find out! Oh and there was no way for me to know who tried - and unless the donors watched carefully - they would assume their donation went through.

After MANY attempts to get someone to help me I had to threaten to sue and file a formal complaint with BBB before they issued me a partial refund as a "courtesy"! What nerve. They closed my account. Guess what!? A week ago I discovered 2 new charges. One for $350 for a BANK CARD I never received and another for processing!!! Needless to say my emails and calls go unanswered. Not that customer support is designed to help - endless navigation with "abnormally high call volumes" and a promise to call back which they never do. This company deserves to be completely shut down. I have reams of emails for my impending legal action. THE WORST.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Leaders Merchant Services is group of fraud dishonest people. I read all the reviews and I felt all the zero star reviews are mine own. There are more than 70 people who have been robbed by Leaders Merchant Services. Can you or someone report to police please about this matter. I also lost about 600$. Now they are asking $375 for early termination. Before they said there is no any early termination fees. They have to be punished. They are robbing all hard working small businesses owners. They will tell you that there is no contract. Don’t trust them. Stay away new business.

Original review: March 1, 2019

THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY... I have tried to talk with your company about 8 times regarding this situation. You have charged my account for a monthly fee of $38.20 and a $350.00 fee for closing my account (which I never opened). I was calling to get pricing and rates, your sales rep gave me a few rates and some pricing.

I asked him if there were any termination fees or such (I don't want to have to pay any fees if I close my business or retire and so on). He became very short with me, and clearly said, "NO there are no termination fees," I in turn said great and we proceeded forward. He said, "Ok let's get started." I said ok. He said he needed to check my information with the IRS, to see if I was approved (a pre-approval) so he sent me the form to authorize him to check to get an approval... With that being said I filled it out and gave him permission to check my information. I by no means finalized this into a contract of Service. I never activated my terminal with your company. I never process any transactions with you. Hence, you have no right to charge my account the fees you have literally stolen from me.

I want a total refund for the money you have taken from me, due to your salesman, using manipulative verbiage to gain my signature on a form. This is clearly unacceptable business practices. If you listen to your taped conversations (if you have them), you will see that he clear stated that there was no termination fee and that he need a form signed to check my information... He never said anything about this being a contract for service and that by signing it, I was going to use your company for my company's merchant services. My full refund is in the amount of $388.20 you have taken from my account without my consent.

FURTHER, Had I been aware of the numerous fraud claims against your company with the "Consumer Affairs Department" and the “Better Business Bureau”... I would have never even considered picking up the phone to call you. With all the bad business that you have done to citizens and hardworking business people with your manipulative sales tactics and numerous complaints for bad business ethics... with the 100’s of complaints, this is clearly a Class Action Suit waiting to happen. Very sad, that you chose to conduct business this way. Please advise me as to when my account will be reimbursed via this email.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Ever since I went with Leaders it has been a nightmare of all sorts. I will never use credit card at my preschool again. The customer sales agent never said there would be an early cancellation fee, as we did sell our business. They constantly over charge fees and it just keeps coming. One of the worst parts is that they keep you on the phone waiting hours for an agent and never call back.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

On a scale of 1 to 10, Leaders is a solid 10 across the board. They approved our application very quickly and we received the card reader (which was pre-tested) immediately. Seamless service and honest, too. We are very pleased and recommend them highly.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

From the beginning dealing with Leaders Merchants was a nightmare, but because of a deal the sales rep gave me for my NGO and my personal business it seemed like a good way to go to get credit card services. Not only was he unauthorized to offer that deal, the deal was never given by the agency. As a health care provider I asked to get HSA cards utilized and was told it was not an issue - they never were able to get it to work. I would often receive several calls and emails that I needed to contact them and when I did no one knew why. Then a few weeks later it would happen again. They often overbilled me for any fees.

Canceling was even worse. No one could tell me the exact account numbers (for some reason they had multiple for each accounts!) and even after all forms were faxed they continued to bill me. I sent in the equipment yet 2 weeks later the amount for replacement was taken out of my checking account - and when I called they didn't know why. I had the tracking confirmation to prove they were delivered.

Today it has been 2 weeks, 2 days since I tried to cancel and they still can't help me - they have the forms but for some reason want them signed electronically - which I am happy to do if they send them correctly (they sent the same one twice instead of one for each account) and dated the original closure date (which they agreed to do). Total time on hold dealing with fixing problems since I started with them 6 months ago - 10 hours! Total time on the phone trying to fix problems that never got fixed - 3.5 hours. I would have given them 0 stars if that was an option.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We are a very small mom and pop business that only does business 1 or 2 months a year. I contacted this company and talked to Joey to explain our needs. He made me believe he knew exactly what we would need and that this company would be perfect. He was dead wrong, mostly because he consciously did not provide all the information necessary. He failed to tell me I would be signing up for a 3 year contract, that there would be non-use penalty for months that we did not have transactions and that there was a survey required and that I would be charged $40 each month until I filled out the survey.

In the end, the company overcharged us somewhere between $500-600. Then the kicker came when I was charged an additional $350 for breaking the 3 year contract (for which I was never informed). I called to lodge my complaint and even asked to be put in touch with a supervisor. I got nowhere. There was absolutely no interest in any form of compromise. We just plain got beat up. I would absolutely recommend you NOT use this company. They are dishonest from the salespeople, to the supervisors to the management. They have no conscience!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Really wish I had read these reviews before I signed up with them. They are robbers. They show you all the fees on the application in these nice boxes where you can see what to expect... Until 2 pages later in very tiny print it says you will be charged a $129 annual fee. I was not told about this... I have had 1 sale for $40 and so far have been charged over $210 in fees. I wrote to my rep to have her suspend my account like she said I could... But she left the company and her email address is still active. STAY AWAY FROM THESE ROBBERS.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I tried using their services but it took over 6 days for them to deposit my money. Called three times to have a supervisor call me never received a call at all. When I inquired about cancelling account they told me it would be $275. Not one ever mentioned this when I signed up. They claim it’s in the contract. CROOKS SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN BY THE FEDS.

Leaders Merchant Services Company Information