2.9/5 (277 ratings)

About ADP Payroll Services

ADP helps companies manage payroll, employee benefits, taxes, retirement and other services. The company has solutions for small, medium, large and multinational businesses. Its specialists work with businesses to reduce costs and develop human resources strategies that align with the business’s goals.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Mobile app
  • Flexible options

Cons

• No free trials
  • No pricing info without a quote

Bottom Line

ADP is a highly rated payroll and human resources provider that offers flexible service packages. Its services are easy to use, but it doesn’t advertise pricing without a customized quote.

Top ADP Payroll Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADP?

Verified

Great service. No crazy fees and very happy with my service. Customer service is wonderful and never had issues. I'm sticking with this card for a long time. Never hassled and the...

Verified

I've used ADP card for years. Never a problem. Never been locked out. Easy to check balance. When I needed a new card they sent it pretty quick. Never had a problem using it eithe...

What is ADP Payroll?

ADP Payroll is a service provider for companies of every size that offers payroll, human resources and other services. It works with businesses across many industries to help them save time and operate more efficiently.

Its additional service offerings include time and attendance tracking, talent management, employee benefits and outsourcing. ADP also offers a marketplace of apps and a library of resources and tools to help companies. Quotes and demos are free, which gives you the chance to find out more about how its HR services can work for your company without spending any money.

What does ADP do?

ADP replaces a traditional human resources or payroll department within a company and provides remote services to manage these tasks. Its basic plans offer payroll coverage for companies ranging from one to more than 1,000 employees. You can then add HR services, including guidance, process improvements and dedicated HR support. It also offers outsourcing solutions or co-employment services.

Mid-sized companies and larger may benefit from additional services. Its time and attendance option includes basic tools for full workforce management. For talent management, it offers recruiting, hiring, management and growth services. Its employee benefits packages include benefits administration, retirement, group health insurance, business insurance and workers’ compensation. The company can integrate its solutions with top software systems and other apps.

ADP pricing

Pricing is based on your company's size and the services you require. You can schedule a demo with an ADP professional or request a quote online. It offers several package tiers, starting with basic payroll services and ranging up to include full payroll and HR coverage.

ADP’s plans for larger companies include recruiting and hiring services, employee benefits and other services. Smaller companies may qualify for special promotions, including up to three free months of services.

ADP Payroll FAQ

Can I access ADP after termination?
Yes. After your separation from the company, you will have access to ADP for three years. However, it cannot provide login information or assistance, so be sure to keep track of your information.
Can I print my pay stub from ADP?
Yes, you can print your pay stub through ADP’s iPay service. You can view, download and print your statements through this online self-service kiosk.
Is ADP worth it?
If you devote a lot of time to HR and payroll management, ADP might be a worthwhile investment to improve efficiency and save time. You can also take advantage of its streamlined process and industry knowledge to help you provide the best service to your employees.
Does ADP pay early?
ADP does offer early pay, but it depends on whether your employer has opted for this service. If so, you’ll have instant access to your paycheck once your employer submits it.
What bank does ADP use?
ADP cards are issued through Fifth Third Bank. Its paycards have a variety of banking features and fewer fees than traditional accounts.

Is ADP safe?

ADP is a reputable, safe payroll and human resources service provider. It offers a variety of services to improve the efficiency of your small-to-large business, saving time and money along the way. Its customized approach doesn’t let it provide transparent pricing before speaking to a representative, so you need to schedule a demo or a quote for more cost information.

ADP Payroll Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADP Payroll Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADP?

Original review: March 10, 2022

Overall, ADP does a relatively good job with their Payroll and HRIS capabilities in Workforce Now. The areas where ADP is lagging compared to other competitors (i.e., Paycheck, Paycom, Paycor, Paylocity) has been their inability to get with the times for HR reporting, customer service, and Point of Sale integration. When it comes to HR Reporting, simple information like turnover rates, average length of service are not reports already made available by ADP. Rather you have to create a custom report or piece together several ADP reports to get the answers most HR professionals look for.

On the Customer Service front, it is incredibly annoying when you open one ticket that does not get resolved in one call. When you call back to get an update or to resolve a ticket the notes are incomplete and results in having to re-explain the ticket to the rep picking up where the call left off. It leads to additional time and frustration to clearly communicate the need or resolution to the ticket. Finally, lack of integration with Point of Sales systems like Toast or Aloha is a pain point for hospitality businesses who rely on these POS to process timekeeping and tips. Other HRIS/Payroll companies have this integration and is a major incentive to consider switching to these companies and leaving ADP. If this isn't changed in the future, I would not be surprised to see more hospitality industry business make the switch due to ease of payroll processing.

ADP Payroll Services response

Hi Angela, thank you for your feedback. I would like to provide this information to the correct leaders. Please private message your company full name/location, ADP branch/code or IID. Thanks, DS.

Get buying tips about Payroll Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2022

The program platforms with ADP can be at times a bit of a challenge - The system will not keep the archived employees off the master control report - (I have asked for this to be looked at by the ADP IT Dept and see if this can be reformatted) - When the employees are archived and blocked on the main platform where you hire/rehire and term employees. The system is now adding in FLI and MLI to employees who are exempt from the WA FLI and MLI taxes on manual checks and is delaying the payroll preview and giving employee level errors. I called ADP and the ADP reps are very friendly and helpful - trying to figure out why this is happening. It appears to be mainly the programing that can get a bit frustrating when previewing the payroll.

ADP Payroll Services response

Hello Donna, I would like to provide your feedback to the correct team within ADP. Please private message your company full name/location, ADP brnach/code or IID. Thank you, DS.

Original review: March 10, 2022

We recently implemented your Essential Learning LMS module. The implementation was fairly smooth, although I would have liked some documentation to accompany the "training" I received on how to administer the system. I understand the LMS module is still very new to ADP, and I'm hopeful that more functionality will be added in upcoming releases. Things like the ability to customize and suppress emails on ILTs, to have assigned courses appear in the "Things to Do" tile on the home page, and the ability to proxy as a user to see what they are experiencing are all standard LMS functions that will need to be incorporated to successfully complete with other systems. Also, there are certain reports that LMS admins need to run, so rather than make me have to create custom reports, they should be available as standard reports.

So far, I've had great experience with your support team. Abby helped me create my custom reports and was a stellar example of excellent service! She worked with me to get several reports create and kept the ticket open until I could verify they were working. I have used several LMS' before and would love to share my insights on functions that would be valuable for your users...feel free to reach out to me!

ADP Payroll Services response

Hello Shari thank you for your feedback. I have passed the details along to the correct team. DS.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I would say my experience is between 3.5 and 4 stars. There are constant updates and changes that don't always make things easier or create less clicks. Once I have certain things figured out they get updated again and I need to refigure my process out. For example, time off page has changed. Instead of it being one page with one submit click it's know 2 pages and few more clicks. Explaining this to our employees is not the easiest either when we don't have an understanding on why it changed. Anytime there are updates there are bugs that need worked out and in that downtime the Admins are hammered with questions about why this part in ADP isn't working and so on. When I call to get help they are always very helpful and can generally answer my question fairly quickly. Overall the website is intuitive and it tracks information that I require well. I try not to call and figure the system out on my own, but I do wish there wouldn't be as many changes.

Hello Karissa,

Thank you for sharing your experience, we will pass it along to the appropriate parties. Payroll is complex and adding a new feature or step can sometimes alter what you did previously, so your candor is appreciated. If you need support you can always reach out to your service team, however, if you have never tried head over to the Bridge, an ADP online forum of payroll professional who are also a great resource we needed.

Regards,

Pauline - ADP/Client Experience

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I have worked with ADP for many years, and I can say that the ADP WorkForceNow product is one of their best. They are really making a lot of improvements to add self-service tools and customers can fix issues on their own. The payroll processing is very fast and reliable. The benefits is probably their best module. I appreciate the chat features to answer quick questions but I can also call in if needed. I have a great account manager who is always there to help me when I have a question or I'm stuck. As I do see a lot of improvement there is still room to grow. For example, internal communication still seems to be a mess when trying to talk to someone about adding a new feature or service. Overall I enjoy the tool and find it a powerful and useful tool to make my job easier. I look forward to new updates and built-in automation in the future.

Hello Jeffrey,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We appricate you taking the time to share and we are constantly working improve the WFN platform and continually train our associates.

Regards,

Pauline - ADP/Client Experience

Original review: April 22, 2022

I chose to switch from using Quickbooks to run payroll for myself only to save time filing state and federal payroll taxes, and reduce the errors I was making that was costing me money. Only problem is, ADP hasn't saved me any time with all the issues getting set up, then tried to charge me for State tax penalties after repeatedly saying they wouldn't, and were not upfront with increases in prices for cost of payroll services. After 18 months of having the service, I still have to take as much time calling them to find out why prices have changed, what they're doing to fix state filing issues, and it's costs me more than using quickbooks.

When I do have an issue that whoever I talk to on the phone can't answer, I have to email and call back multiple times to finally get a response from the person who can answer the question. All the while, I get letters from the state that add stress to my already busy day. At one point, the person on the phone had to include managers in the email just so I would actually get a response. Now that I've set up retirement through them, I feel stuck with this company, it's been frustrating and disappointing to work with them. Hoping it gets better, but so far, I'm unimpressed.

Hello Cary,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with ADP and will be happy to have a team member review your situation. We do appreciate you taking the time to share this experience and can assure you that this is not what we expect for our clients.

Kind Regards,
    Pauline

ADP/Client Experience

Original review: April 13, 2022

Even though I reported over a year ago that there is a bad federal tax charge, they still do a bad job. They also block access to login from various sources, asking a phone number that I reserved for spam.

Hello Michael,
    We arranged for an ADP Service Leader to contact you and your employer's authorized payroll contact on 04/28/22. She was able to provide guidance to both you and your employer regarding how to add additional withholdings and make changes to the your profile if you decide to make any changes to your status. As you should now be aware, you should not contact ADP directly regarding payroll support. The authorized payroll contact as assigned by your employer has full access to ADP Support.
    Kind regards,

RP - ADP Client Experience

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 11, 2022

The government should take these people down. The number of issues they caused to my company is beyond comprehension. 1. They switched my payroll period dates three times and cause issues and confusion for all employees. 2. They arbitrarily sold and bought another 401k investment plan for one of the employees because 'ADP employees thought it would be better' despite disagreement of this change by employee. 3. 401k salesperson would not answer a single question regarding 401k, instead they will send you to 'customer service' dept that has no idea what they are doing. They arbitrarily took $18k from my account causing investment loss. Reporting them to Department of Labor for egregious mistakes that cost me loss of money, time and reputation.

Paul,

My team is letting me know they were able to assist. Can you please confirm this is completed for you? jc

Original review: March 10, 2022

Fix your system so we can select several reports at one time to delete vs. having to click one at a time. Fix your system so when we choose to view 100 records vs. 10, the setting stays there. This would make my life a lot easier.

ADP Payroll Services response

Jeanette if you could please ask your Tech Services team to take a look at that. That shouldn't be happening for you. JC

Original review: March 10, 2022

I think the individuals I connect with want to do a good job and are well intentioned. We have also had some excellent experiences with some of our point people and when calling into customer service. But far too often the people we speak with for help are not confident in what they are doing, make incorrect recommendations or changes and complain about the ADP system. It is a robust system with a lot of potential, but if proper guidance isn't given when customers call they will likely look elsewhere for this service to be provided.

Kristen,
    I have shared your feedback with the leadership team who oversee your account. I have asked that they have someone connect with you to review your concerns. It is our sincere hope that we can turn this experience around for you.
    We appreciate you taking the time to submit your review.

Christine / ADP Client Experience