2.9/5 (278 ratings)

About ADP Payroll Services

ADP helps companies manage payroll, employee benefits, taxes, retirement and other services. The company has solutions for small, medium, large and multinational businesses. Its specialists work with businesses to reduce costs and develop human resources strategies that align with the business’s goals.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Mobile app
  • Flexible options

Cons

• No free trials
  • No pricing info without a quote

Bottom Line

ADP is a highly rated payroll and human resources provider that offers flexible service packages. Its services are easy to use, but it doesn’t advertise pricing without a customized quote.

Top ADP Payroll Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADP?

Verified

Great service. No crazy fees and very happy with my service. Customer service is wonderful and never had issues. I'm sticking with this card for a long time. Never hassled and the...

Verified

I've used ADP card for years. Never a problem. Never been locked out. Easy to check balance. When I needed a new card they sent it pretty quick. Never had a problem using it eithe...

What is ADP Payroll?

ADP Payroll is a service provider for companies of every size that offers payroll, human resources and other services. It works with businesses across many industries to help them save time and operate more efficiently.

Its additional service offerings include time and attendance tracking, talent management, employee benefits and outsourcing. ADP also offers a marketplace of apps and a library of resources and tools to help companies. Quotes and demos are free, which gives you the chance to find out more about how its HR services can work for your company without spending any money.

What does ADP do?

ADP replaces a traditional human resources or payroll department within a company and provides remote services to manage these tasks. Its basic plans offer payroll coverage for companies ranging from one to more than 1,000 employees. You can then add HR services, including guidance, process improvements and dedicated HR support. It also offers outsourcing solutions or co-employment services.

Mid-sized companies and larger may benefit from additional services. Its time and attendance option includes basic tools for full workforce management. For talent management, it offers recruiting, hiring, management and growth services. Its employee benefits packages include benefits administration, retirement, group health insurance, business insurance and workers’ compensation. The company can integrate its solutions with top software systems and other apps.

ADP pricing

Pricing is based on your company's size and the services you require. You can schedule a demo with an ADP professional or request a quote online. It offers several package tiers, starting with basic payroll services and ranging up to include full payroll and HR coverage.

ADP’s plans for larger companies include recruiting and hiring services, employee benefits and other services. Smaller companies may qualify for special promotions, including up to three free months of services.

ADP Payroll FAQ

Can I access ADP after termination?
Yes. After your separation from the company, you will have access to ADP for three years. However, it cannot provide login information or assistance, so be sure to keep track of your information.
Can I print my pay stub from ADP?
Yes, you can print your pay stub through ADP’s iPay service. You can view, download and print your statements through this online self-service kiosk.
Is ADP worth it?
If you devote a lot of time to HR and payroll management, ADP might be a worthwhile investment to improve efficiency and save time. You can also take advantage of its streamlined process and industry knowledge to help you provide the best service to your employees.
Does ADP pay early?
ADP does offer early pay, but it depends on whether your employer has opted for this service. If so, you’ll have instant access to your paycheck once your employer submits it.
What bank does ADP use?
ADP cards are issued through Fifth Third Bank. Its paycards have a variety of banking features and fewer fees than traditional accounts.

Is ADP safe?

ADP is a reputable, safe payroll and human resources service provider. It offers a variety of services to improve the efficiency of your small-to-large business, saving time and money along the way. Its customized approach doesn’t let it provide transparent pricing before speaking to a representative, so you need to schedule a demo or a quote for more cost information.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADP Payroll Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADP?

Original review: March 10, 2022

Overall, ADP does a relatively good job with their Payroll and HRIS capabilities in Workforce Now. The areas where ADP is lagging compared to other competitors (i.e., Paycheck, Paycom, Paycor, Paylocity) has been their inability to get with the times for HR reporting, customer service, and Point of Sale integration. When it comes to HR Reporting, simple information like turnover rates, average length of service are not reports already made available by ADP. Rather you have to create a custom report or piece together several ADP reports to get the answers most HR professionals look for.

On the Customer Service front, it is incredibly annoying when you open one ticket that does not get resolved in one call. When you call back to get an update or to resolve a ticket the notes are incomplete and results in having to re-explain the ticket to the rep picking up where the call left off. It leads to additional time and frustration to clearly communicate the need or resolution to the ticket. Finally, lack of integration with Point of Sales systems like Toast or Aloha is a pain point for hospitality businesses who rely on these POS to process timekeeping and tips. Other HRIS/Payroll companies have this integration and is a major incentive to consider switching to these companies and leaving ADP. If this isn't changed in the future, I would not be surprised to see more hospitality industry business make the switch due to ease of payroll processing.

ADP Payroll Services response

Hi Angela, thank you for your feedback. I would like to provide this information to the correct leaders. Please private message your company full name/location, ADP branch/code or IID. Thanks, DS.

Get buying tips about Payroll Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2022

The program platforms with ADP can be at times a bit of a challenge - The system will not keep the archived employees off the master control report - (I have asked for this to be looked at by the ADP IT Dept and see if this can be reformatted) - When the employees are archived and blocked on the main platform where you hire/rehire and term employees. The system is now adding in FLI and MLI to employees who are exempt from the WA FLI and MLI taxes on manual checks and is delaying the payroll preview and giving employee level errors. I called ADP and the ADP reps are very friendly and helpful - trying to figure out why this is happening. It appears to be mainly the programing that can get a bit frustrating when previewing the payroll.

ADP Payroll Services response

Hello Donna, I would like to provide your feedback to the correct team within ADP. Please private message your company full name/location, ADP brnach/code or IID. Thank you, DS.

Original review: March 10, 2022

We recently implemented your Essential Learning LMS module. The implementation was fairly smooth, although I would have liked some documentation to accompany the "training" I received on how to administer the system. I understand the LMS module is still very new to ADP, and I'm hopeful that more functionality will be added in upcoming releases. Things like the ability to customize and suppress emails on ILTs, to have assigned courses appear in the "Things to Do" tile on the home page, and the ability to proxy as a user to see what they are experiencing are all standard LMS functions that will need to be incorporated to successfully complete with other systems. Also, there are certain reports that LMS admins need to run, so rather than make me have to create custom reports, they should be available as standard reports.

So far, I've had great experience with your support team. Abby helped me create my custom reports and was a stellar example of excellent service! She worked with me to get several reports create and kept the ticket open until I could verify they were working. I have used several LMS' before and would love to share my insights on functions that would be valuable for your users...feel free to reach out to me!

ADP Payroll Services response

Hello Shari thank you for your feedback. I have passed the details along to the correct team. DS.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I would say my experience is between 3.5 and 4 stars. There are constant updates and changes that don't always make things easier or create less clicks. Once I have certain things figured out they get updated again and I need to refigure my process out. For example, time off page has changed. Instead of it being one page with one submit click it's know 2 pages and few more clicks. Explaining this to our employees is not the easiest either when we don't have an understanding on why it changed. Anytime there are updates there are bugs that need worked out and in that downtime the Admins are hammered with questions about why this part in ADP isn't working and so on. When I call to get help they are always very helpful and can generally answer my question fairly quickly. Overall the website is intuitive and it tracks information that I require well. I try not to call and figure the system out on my own, but I do wish there wouldn't be as many changes.

Hello Karissa,

Thank you for sharing your experience, we will pass it along to the appropriate parties. Payroll is complex and adding a new feature or step can sometimes alter what you did previously, so your candor is appreciated. If you need support you can always reach out to your service team, however, if you have never tried head over to the Bridge, an ADP online forum of payroll professional who are also a great resource we needed.

Regards,

Pauline - ADP/Client Experience

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I have worked with ADP for many years, and I can say that the ADP WorkForceNow product is one of their best. They are really making a lot of improvements to add self-service tools and customers can fix issues on their own. The payroll processing is very fast and reliable. The benefits is probably their best module. I appreciate the chat features to answer quick questions but I can also call in if needed. I have a great account manager who is always there to help me when I have a question or I'm stuck. As I do see a lot of improvement there is still room to grow. For example, internal communication still seems to be a mess when trying to talk to someone about adding a new feature or service. Overall I enjoy the tool and find it a powerful and useful tool to make my job easier. I look forward to new updates and built-in automation in the future.

Hello Jeffrey,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We appricate you taking the time to share and we are constantly working improve the WFN platform and continually train our associates.

Regards,

Pauline - ADP/Client Experience

Resolution response: Aug. 9, 2022

Finally got my check. Wow, what a hassle. Anyway, issue resolved.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

ADP has owed me money from a previous employer since Feb 2022. It's August 2022. They refuse to resolve the issue. Just keep this in mind if you are thinking of using ADP to handle your business payroll service. They are so inept, they can't process a single check for months and months. Horrible follow up and customer service. Do not use them.

ADP Payroll Services response
    Hi Jeff, I apologize, I didn't realize this was an Escheatment. We've contacted the correct department and the check has been rush processed and is out for express delivery.

NW-ADP Client Experience

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

This is an FYI for anyone who has ADP or is considering it for your business. I notified ADP I would be out on paid vacation for a lifesaving procedure. They informed me that any leave of any kind would terminate benefits if that time goes over at the end of a calendar month. I returned to work the same month 4 days prior to the end of the month. They still cancelled benefits.

1. This is against the law, it is unlawful for any health insurance company to cancel benefits if a medical claim or notification has been submitted while benefits are paid.

2. Contact your state insurance board immediately, they will charge heavy fines for infractions such as this, also get an attorney because of the life risk that can result because of a policy not a legal statute or law that gives them the right to cancel your insurance.

Hello Chad,
    I'm sorry to hear of the challenges you have described. I will forward your review to the Senior Leadership Team of the Benefits Group that supports your company. They will arrange for a service leader to contact you to review the situation with you and see if they can offer any assistance. We'll be in touch soon.
    Kind regards,

RP - ADP Client Experience

Original review: June 15, 2022

I work for a company who uses ADP and ADP has the worst service when it comes to payroll tax related issue resolution. They messed up with filing taxes and my employer received multiple notices from the IRS which ADP was not able to resolve. It took them weeks only to restate what the notice says! So frustrated! Their response literally was “The inquiry indicates a discrepancy and/or missing information... Although we were responsible for... the year in question... Contact the... agency directly to resolve this matter.” Really?!!! You were responsible but we have to deal with the mess?! How about taking responsibility and helping your customers like a real company?

The sad truth is that this is not the first time they responded with useless information. I’ve opened a ticket in June of 2021, and it dragged on until May of 2022 only to be closed without ANY explanation. Calling them is also useless – spent hours on hold on multiple occasions only to get reps who do not know how to proceed. They usually cannot wait to get off the phone because they do not know how to answer my questions or resolve the issue(s) at hand. How they stayed in business this long is beyond me! DO NOT WORK WITH THEM!!

Hello Kidan,
    I'm very sorry to hear this. I've relayed your review to a service leader and asked them to look into this and reach out to the employer to assist.

Original review: May 25, 2022

For two years, our company of 82 employees lived in the fiery pit of ADP. The sales call was glowy and spectacular. Then, reality. For the first few months we had to handwrite each check because despite multiple reassurances that it would process, they could not figure out how to raise the limit for our payroll amount (of about 180k per month). Over the past two years we spent 100s of hours, no exaggeration, of four of executive team members' time to deal with calls--being put on hold for 1 - 2 hours no matter the time of day, multiple transfers, and the primary goal of passing us off to someone else. When they say "someone will call you back"--that never happens. No single person can answer the question, they send you to "another department." They had to refund us over $4,000 of overcharges for billing us for employees who had been released for more than a full year for whom we were still being charged.

They neglected to pay our state taxes one month without notifying us of this, leading to a penalty charge. We discovered it by happenstance 3 months later! The overall level of incompetence is unconscionable. It was not until we let them know we were moving forward with legal action that things began to be addressed. Even now, 4 months after ending service, a $985 and $182.55 charge are being withdrawn from our account each month. Each month we have to have our banker send the charges back (bc ADP will use different names to pull the funds, so it is difficult to block in a blanket manner). No one "knows why" this is happening. We have multiple emails confirming all accounts are closed and there will be "no further charges" yet every single month this happens. If the consumer affairs platform allows for photo uploads, these items will be uploaded.

We have since switched to Gusto (tried Intuit at QB for two months, but they outsource to customer service providers reading from scripts, not good customer service, similar to ADP) and with Gusto we have had the most streamlined experience EVER. We even ran a contest in our company to see who would receive their direct deposit from Gusto first, for the first payroll, because we had every finger and toe crossed for a successful payroll run--and it worked perfectly, even with our payroll amount. No tiers, no hassles, and most important--a person who can fully respond to a question answers the phone and wants you to get your question answered. They might put you on hold for a moment, but they themselves get the answer or add someone into the call for a quick solution. Modern technology and performance at its best.

The site itself is easy to navigate. We uploaded everyone's name and email and they literally onboarded themselves from a welcome email. We even have a Canadian employee and she was processed to receive direct deposit, which we were told we "could not do" with ADP or QB. The 401K experienced with ADP was equally horrible. Our team members are in the process of removing their funds from ADPs 401K system to anything but them.

Just don't go into the light--no matter how good it sounds on the sales call, with the one and only person you'll ever speak with who will do a decent job--and find another solution. We are a rapidly growing company and are thrilled to have a payroll home we can trust. Whether a company has two team members or 20,000, I would caution anyone from interacting with ADP. We have over 30+ vendors providing services to us and have never, in 24 years, had a negative experience that comes anywhere close to this debacle. Your time, and your team's time, is money.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I chose to switch from using Quickbooks to run payroll for myself only to save time filing state and federal payroll taxes, and reduce the errors I was making that was costing me money. Only problem is, ADP hasn't saved me any time with all the issues getting set up, then tried to charge me for State tax penalties after repeatedly saying they wouldn't, and were not upfront with increases in prices for cost of payroll services. After 18 months of having the service, I still have to take as much time calling them to find out why prices have changed, what they're doing to fix state filing issues, and it's costs me more than using quickbooks.

When I do have an issue that whoever I talk to on the phone can't answer, I have to email and call back multiple times to finally get a response from the person who can answer the question. All the while, I get letters from the state that add stress to my already busy day. At one point, the person on the phone had to include managers in the email just so I would actually get a response. Now that I've set up retirement through them, I feel stuck with this company, it's been frustrating and disappointing to work with them. Hoping it gets better, but so far, I'm unimpressed.

Hello Cary,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with ADP and will be happy to have a team member review your situation. We do appreciate you taking the time to share this experience and can assure you that this is not what we expect for our clients.

Kind Regards,