Consumer Reviews and Complaints

ADP

We appreciate your feedback, Sonny! We aim to provide the best service for our customers!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Derek ** helped me set up my account with ADP and spent his valuable time to run me through the system. I have had to call him a couple of times since my account inception with questions, which he responded accurately and promptly. I have experienced nothing but positive with ADP and Derek **. The system is very easy to use and very convenient.

ADP

Chris - Thank you for taking the time to share your ADP experience with others. We’re happy that you’re enjoying our solutions.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

This process of payroll entry online is a dream come true. Quick, accurate, simple, consistent, always available when I need it! The staff have always been helpful. Especially during end of the year processing. I would recommend this service to anyone. Thank you ADP.

ADP

Thanks for your feedback, Chris! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I have been with ADP for 5 years and have had nothing but stellar service. My questions are answered promptly and accurately and their systems in place make running a business much easier. I have nothing but good things to say about this company.

ADP

Hi Jonell! Thank you for taking the time to review our products and services. We strive to make our products customizable and easy to use for our clients, so thanks for pointing that out!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

We use ADP payroll and Pay-By-Pay workers comp and I must say we LOVE THEIR SERVICES!!! Very easy to use the RUN ADP on our computer or even the mobile app. When we call into ADP for certificates of insurance, we receive them very easily and quickly.

Hi Michele,

I am sorry to see the frustrations with our products. To assist you I need to know the name of your employer as it shows on your ADP Statements and which product you are trying to resolve the issue with. Thank you

Original review: March 18, 2017

I have never had such a runaround with trying to get money that belongs to me. Almost 2 weeks now and still haven't been able to get a dime. You get the runaround when you call and even when they say they're doing something to take care of it, they weren't. They didn't do a thing. Like it's a ** joke. Bank even told me they've heard nothing but complaints about them and have had nothing but problems with them.

Hi Katrina,

I am sorry it's been so frustrating. If you have your employer contact their service team they can troubleshoot this issue so that it gets rectified.

Original review: March 7, 2017

ADP is awful. My company went with them back in October and from day 1 I have been unable to even get past registration. It says my account is locked for 24 hours after one attempt and I've been trying for months even my employer has no clue so to no avail I am unable to see my paystubs and things like that.

Hi Teresa

Please let us know the name of your company and address so that we can look up your Service Team contact information. They are your best line of support with ADP not the sales team.

I will respond as soon as I hear back from you.

Original review: March 3, 2017

I am constantly getting new account reps. I have issues that I need taken care of and no one answers my emails or phone call. I always have to leave a message and no one answers the calls. My last rep's name was Hector ** and the current one is Jeanette **. What's going on?

ADP

Noelle, we’re delighted to read your feedback about ADP! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the perfect solution and service for each client!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I've worked with ADP services for 20 years and I've been super pleased with them. They have a very knowledgeable and professional staff. And are always available to help with any questions or problems I have. I would recommend them to anyone.

Hi Michelle,

ADP does not enter the fed or state tax information for clients. That is done by the client or at the employee level. If any changes need to be made you need to have the employer correct on their side which will transmit to ADP and update so that both are in sync. I am sorry it's been so frustrating for you.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Big issue with this company and their payroll, I was employed by inbound call experts and all of a sudden barely any federal taxes were being taken out of my paychecks, as to making it appear as I now owe taxes due to something all of a sudden causing my tax deduction amount to be changed. I have no idea why it would be so inconsistent. Now I'm paying the price.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADP?

Factual basis uncertain

Hi Dan,

I am sorry to see the frustrations. This is a matter for you to work out with your payroll team. If you need us to contact them on your behalf please provide your employer name and file number as they appear on your paystubs.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I have worked for the same company 15 years. In January 2017 I began being charged for a new benefit that I did not elect. Every year at this time, the company sends us an email telling us to double-check, which I did. I immediately contacted ADP to report the discrepancy. Today - a month and 4 days later - after I complained to our payroll dept - I received a call back stating that the reviews department had completed their review and determined that I have been receiving this benefit all along. This is incorrect. My paystubs on their website clearly show that we have never received this benefit, but the people who called to report their "FINDINGS" to me had no clue and no ability to review this information. They were rude and refused to provide any actual assistance - they simply want to keep stealing my money to for this benefit that I do not want and did not choose.

I was hired by a growing company to do their payroll and such with 50+ employees. Wanting to lighten my load so I can spend more time doing other things, they decided to go with ADP based on a Scotiabank's employee recommendation. Why are they bad? 3+ meetings to setup. First meeting to sign some papers, then some other guy comes in about a punch-clock system, saying there's an additional charge, AFTER we've already signed the contract and was told it wouldn't be an additional charge. Multiple emails later, it gets cleared up.

10+ email... so many emails... not one person is responsible for my account. Rather, there's a team of 6 people... and this is not counting the sales team (3+ people), and the SETUP team (of 2 people - 1 for ADP payroll and for punch-clock). Then, when you don't get a response or ask for a follow-up, they have the nerve to give you sass, saying "oh, it's not my job but I decided to help you out... frankly, so and so should be doing this". Well, lady, if they were doing their job, I wouldn't be asking for a response.

Their setup process is horrid too. I've never seen the most unprofessional or horribly designed excel input form until ADP sent their own. Was it printable on 1 page? No, and when I scale it down, lookie- no space what so ever. They wanted me to fill out 50+ worksheets when you can easily make it one sheet on Excel. I had to write up my own and pass it to them before I got a decent looking one.

The reporting of the hours itself is horrid too. They require a template format, in Excel, with a cover page, timesheet, and worksheets for things like termination, new employee, change in pay etc, etc... all normal stuff. Problem is, they input it wrong! I spent all that time to use your badly designed format and they still do it wrong. Once, pay raise for John ** in company A was given to him and a John **in company B as well. Another time, Sandy got overpaid 80 hours on top of her raise. Another time, $100 holiday bonus was given as a separate transaction so the company got charged DOUBLE the cost (I'm not even ACCOUNTING FOR THE FACT THAT, some people got less than half that).

On setup as well, they wanted us to do ROEs for everyone, which we did on our own expense but when we want to leave, will they do ROEs for us for free? No. They want to CHARGE the bank account. When asked for any information to facilitate doing it on our own? No response from anyone for days. It's now 2 weeks on the silence. Good luck calling anyone. Their phone line is faulty. I've entered the 7 digit extension but their phone system either a) doesn't get it, or b) gets the wrong # (it reads it back to you). Then, you're hit with a voicemail. Or, you go to operator and then get hit with a voicemail. Or, get transferred to the French department... lucky I know enough French to get by but it's horrible.

The beginning was nice, getting all those eager sellers to coming to you and asking for meetings (and redundant meetings to say they're working on your issues or concerns but does it get resolved? Maybe, after a month). Then, the new change isn't transferred to the team assigned to input your information, so you get messages like, please use our the proper format AFTER YOU'VE SPENT SEVERAL MEETING HOURS TO GET IT THE WAY YOU WANT.

Want them to file your WSIB or payroll deductions? Heh, good luck not getting charged by the gov't for 'not filing' it after you've sent many emails asking for confirmations and being assured many times that they've been done. A month later, gov't mails us statement and, lo and behold, it wasn't filed. Are you going to get a credit for it? No, cause we've terminated our account with them and they "can't process any transaction".

How do you get the payroll information or stubs to give to your employees? Through an outdated IBM type system that only works on Internet Explorer and on an old computer. Each window you open pops open an IBM logo EVERY TIME. Can you increase the font size? No. Have fun reading tiny font size 6. Can you print multiples on the same page? No. Can you scroll down without going to the last page? Yea, have fun pressing that down arrow for a while. Honestly, ADP isn't worth the time or money. Sure they may give you a decent quote for their services, but the bad, amateur quality service isn't worth it. If you're in Canada, better stick to your bank and do ETFs or even hire another dedicated payroll person to do it all and it'll be way faster and less headache.

HI Cori,

Thank you for the feedback. If you would like us to have our Service team reach out to you to address please message us with your company code, region and company name as they show on ADP documents.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

ADP is hands down the absolute worst payroll system I have ever used. I have used it in two separate companies in a period of 5 years and there has been no changes or upgrades to it except the screen looks a little different. It's so far behind the other payroll companies like Paychex, Paycor, and UltiPro in technology. The pay grid only allows groups of 50 at one time so payroll days I have to click back and forth through many pages, whereas with Paycor I can see everyone on one page. If I have an issue or a question I have to call and hang on hold for 49 mins only to be told they can't resolve my issue after several guesses don't work.

I am unable to enter rehires if someone has been purged by ADP, direct deposits that are entered and prenoted successfully don't go through and employees get live checks, hourly associates with hours in the standard hours field on their employment profile will get paid those hours even if they have not worked those hours and you take them off the grid. You must enter 0 on the grid and therefore a check for 0.00 will print. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of happening for hourly payroll. Terminated employees get paid if autopay hasn't been turned off, reports are a mess and difficult to read, reporting is inaccurate, and there is no gross to net option. I am pushing my company to dump this third world like software and get with the 2000s. ADP is shameful and way too expensive. There are so many other options with much more sophisticated technology, cleaner reporting, and outstanding support.

ADP

Paula, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We’re happy that you find our training and personnel very helpful!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I always have a great experience with ADP. Personnel is very friendly and knowledgeable and always ready to help. In addition, the trainings they offer with specialized speakers are extremely helpful in this changing environment. I rely on ADP to answer any of my questions.

ADP

Arthur, we’re delighted to read your feedback about ADP! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide stellar service for each of our clients!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

When I joined ADP it was during a particular busy time for me. The account representatives were very understanding towards my situation and set me up with the exact type of account I need. For that, I am truly grateful. As an ADP Customer, I have contacted customer assistance a few times. The representative who fielded my call each time was kind and professional and was able to help me solve my issue in very short order. I am very pleased with the quality of service and level of professionalism I receive from ADP. Thank you!

ADP

Thank you Noeletta, we appreciate your review! We aim to provide the best service for our customers.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

Your customer service department is top-notch. All the personnel are very familiar with all the phases of the business and very generous in making themselves available to help clients until the client has been served. Any time I have ever called customer service I have been graciously greeted and helped through my questions or issues.

ADP

Thank you, Adriana! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback. We’re happy to hear we are able to provide you with the support you need at all times.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

They are very good services and they are always there to help us with any kind of service you need. They are open all the time any time 24 hours if you need them. They have all kinds of English or Spanish speaking so you could be more comfortable you feel.

ADP

Jasper, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We’re happy to hear that we've helped your business succeed!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

My experience with ADP is very good in quickness, accuracy and very precise. Thanks to ADP my business is a success. I will continue to use ADP for my business and I would also recommend anyone who are in business or opening a business to go with ADP.

Hi Naomi,

I am sorry to see the poor experience you have had with us. If you are still needing help please PM us with your company code, region and company name as they appear on your ADP documents so we can look into this for you.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I requested a simple rerun of our periodic summary as the reports we received did not match. I was given the run around for 4 days. I asked my colleague to request the same and she received it within 14 minutes via email. The reps that I encountered said the report cannot be emailed and will have to be sent via mail only because we don't have a certain product. The imbalance in the reps not knowing what to do is incredible. It's hit or miss when you call ADP payroll support.

ADP

Barbara, thank you for taking the time to share your ADP experience with others. We’re happy that you’re enjoying RUN's features!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Able to complete payroll online. Time efficient and run payroll program is easy to use. We get reports and cash requirements within seconds of submittal. Security for the program is sufficient and does not interfere with the ease of access. Easy to instruct others, if needed.

It was a very efficient payroll experience. I needed to change an address on one of our accounts and he handled it efficiently and then promptly finishing calling in my payroll and I was on my way in less than five minutes. Great service!

Hi Deborah,

For any W2 questions or corrections you need to work directly with your employer so that they can send any needed updates to ADP. Please contact them as soon as you can so that you can get if needed a new W2 or explanation to your concern as soon as possible.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Received my W-2 and ADP stopped deducting MA Income Tax as of 2/12/16. Their site is impossible to manipulate and it took me a year to gain access to my account online. I did not have access to my pay stubs due to this. Now I owe MA Income tax. Why would they just stop deducting MA taxes when my W-2 shows my exemptions are zero?!

I have always have a good experience with ADP Payroll Services. They have a great website where you can get all your information from and pay your invoice. Keep up the good job and all your services and the wonderful people that work with you if you decide to call into the CSR or Sales, thank you!

ADP is very helpful when a problem arrive. They're there when you need them and help solve your problem immediately. ADP also look up info that you may not have correctly and they will correct it for you, if you're having problems with payroll they're good and helping you resolve any problems.

Fits my company budget on both pricing & service. Easy to use website, software and features. Would recommend to any company large or small. Quick processing and easy to edit software features make this a simple and easy task for both experienced and novice users. Thank you.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the feedback. If you contact your service team directly they can take a look at your account to see if there is anything that can be done to help you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

We have a small business that only requires seasonal employees. While I appreciate the tax forms and other required documents, I think the monthly maintenance fee is too high when there is no activity for months. Once ADP reaches a certain payment level for its costs/certain profit, it should reduce the monthly maintenance fee - as that becomes pure profit to ADP. It is a burden on small companies to pay hundreds of dollars a year for a payroll service that is inactive. The overall support and service are very good, but I think there must be a way to help small businesses pay less in fixed fees for service they don't use.

Excellent service. ADP is so helpful and so responsive. They have knowledgeable staff who are readily available to answer questions and help with any questions. They make my life so much easier! Their website is excellent and very easy to use. Their staff can help you find just what you need to accomplish the task at hand!

I am always very happy with the payroll processing done by ADP and its customer service. However, I have had a lot of trouble with delivery when ADP uses a service other than UPS. Other services have completely ignored the "signature required" on the package and either shoved it through our gate with no attempt to get access through our gate (we are a locked property with camera surveillance so I can see if they try to ring the gate or not) or stuck it in the mailbox. UPS is the only service I authorize ADP to use for our deliveries.

NiGeria,

I am sorry to see your experience with us was not what you wanted or needed it to be. I see that the investigation was completed albeit not to your satisfaction. Please let us know if there is anything you need to assist.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

At the beginning of this year 2017, my worst nightmare came true. I switched to ADP from Paychex because of their relationship with CHASE Bank and their lower rates for payroll services and HR. AS soon as I made the switch it became a nightmare. Starting with extremely long waits to talk to someone to incorrect quotes for services to our system being hacked and losing $38,000. A fraudulent investigation was launched by ADP and they concluded that their system was not compromised, which left my company liable. After the investigation was complete we were told that the report was final and that there was no grievance process. In so many words we were told "OH WELL, YOUR LOSS!!!" WE continued to process our payroll in hopes that ADP would consider a grievance process. But on 1/31/17 ADP attempted to debit our account for $8,500 for the fraudulent payroll without any notice.

We immediately terminated our services and returned to Paychex. Paychex offers 2 security features that ADP does not. If these features were offered at ADP we would not have suffered any monetary loss with this fraudulent activity. The 2 security features are: if you sign into Paychex system from any computer it will send a text to the primary telephone number on file with a temporary security code; another feature is that if you make any changes to any employees direct deposit account information it automatically places your payroll on hold until they confirm verbally with you. It's sad to say in this case that I should have not left Paychex to go to ADP for less money, because I received less security.

We have been with ADP for many many years. I especially appreciate the fact that when I call to speak to a live person with a question (usually urgent question), I can get through quickly. The ADP Customer Care person is always calm, patient, and helpful - very professional and I so appreciate that.

Hi,

If you would like ADP to look into this for you please provide your employers information along with your full name. You can message us privately here. Also if your direct deposit has not gone through it's usually standard that the employer write a manual check so that you are not waiting for your funds. We recommend that you speak with them regarding that.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

My employer just started using ADP for direct deposits and such. I was supposed to get mine almost 2 weeks ago. Not a biggie... first time can be a bit bumpy. Double checked the account details with my bank and everything seems to be fine on my part. Got in touch with the employer, he says somebody forgot to enter my bank details into the ADP system and according to Tayabella - ADP Senior Implementation Specialist my direct deposit would be transferred on Jan 30th, 2017. No luck so far. Now Tayabella is saying it might happen on Feb 2nd, 2017. It is my money, I worked for it. Why do I have to beg to get paid??? Is ADP going to pay me some sort of an interest or pay for my time I have wasted on this nonsense???

Hi Webster,

I am sorry to see the service experience below. Can you please message us with your company code and region so that I can get your service team involved?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I have been using ADP Since 1996 and have been happy with the service. But since the beginning of last year their support has become deplorable. Late last year I had a client who was frantic about a charge made to their account by ADP. I called and was put on automatic hold and decided to disconnect after 25+ minutes. I called back a bit later and rather than sit on hold I left a message per their instructions.

No one called me back!!! The next day I called again and stayed on hold well past 35+ minutes (there is no exaggeration here) and finally had someone to speak too. You get the same old line; "Due to heavy volume....." but the real issue is that they do not have enough staff to cover the support department. Not sure if they cut back on their staff or if they added extra business but no additional staff, but the end result is the same; longer wait times and diminished support.

I tried calling today (1-31-17) and encountered the same problem. Gave up after 18+ minutes and called back on another number I had in my database. This time I was going to leave a message in the hopes they would call me back this time. But couldn't because the mailbox was full and was taking no new messages.

Somewhat frustrating. Will need to look for another payroll company.

My experiences with ADP have been, for the most part, exceptional, with the exception of their Tax and Financial Services department. Things kind of fell down there, which is why they are receiving 4 stars rather than 5. Aside from that hiccup, ADP is a wonderful company to do business with. They are very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I highly recommend them and would gladly work with them at any time in the future.

I wasn't sure how to submit Payroll over the Martin Luther King holiday weekend since I'm new to doing payroll. The Customer Service Rep helped me understand when I had to submit Payroll to ensure a timely Direct Deposit for our staff.

We have been using ADP for our company's payroll services for a year now and I am completely happy with the ease, efficiency, and pricing of ADP payroll services. I thought our prior service was great, but ADP is definitely much more cost effective and efficient.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

ADP has served over 610,000 clients with cloud-based Human Capital Management (HCM) for over 60 years. Its services help businesses of all sizes take on human resources, payroll, talent, tax and benefits administration tasks using technology to simplify processes. ADP tailors its payroll services for small, midsized, large and multinational business solutions.

• Small business solutions: ADP’s small business payroll solutions are made for companies with up to 50 employees and come in three packages: Essential, Enhance and Complete plus HR. Essential payroll lets you run the software online, by phone or using ADP’s mobile app. It features services like direct deposit, payroll delivery, electronic reports, general ledger interface, eTimecard, 1099 and W-2 and tax filing. Enhanced payroll features everything from the Essential package plus HR tips and resources to keep you informed, while the Complete package includes a full range of HR tools.
  • Midsized business solutions: ADP’s midsized business payroll solutions are for companies with 50-1,000 employees and comes in three packages with varying features that help you manage things like payroll, tax filing and payroll tax compliance. ADP’s midsized business payroll automation gives your employees mobile access to pay statements, W-2s and self-service tools.
  • Large business solutions: ADP’s large business payroll solutions are for businesses with over 1,000 employees. You can integrate payroll with HR, timekeeping and benefits administration tasks, simplify for PTO accrual and take advantage of online reports for better analysis. ADP’s large business payroll solutions minimize the challenges big companies face by simplifying its cloud-based software to make keeping track of every employees payroll and tax information.
  • Multinational business solutions: ADP offers two packages for businesses with global workforces to help them manage their payroll. ADP GlobalView is an integrated suite of global HCM services, including talent management and payroll expertise services. The ADP Streamline package is a multinational payroll software that gives businesses access to consistent, multi-country payroll data and minimizes the need for in-country payroll specialists.
  • Pricing: Interested companies can request a quote online for each of ADP’s payroll solutions. They offer your first two months for free when you sign up for an account.
  • Best for companies of any size that are looking for a cloud-based payroll software.

ADP Company Profile