Consumer Reviews and Complaints

ADP

Thank you, Adrian! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear that we're able to provide the service you need.

Original review: May 31, 2017

With ADP, I have no problem so far, they assist me during those times that we are starting with them, and how they help is really a big factor. It's easy, and the instructions are systematized that even the delivery of the check are FAST.

ADP

We appreciate your feedback, Sonny! We aim to provide the best service for our customers!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Derek ** helped me set up my account with ADP and spent his valuable time to run me through the system. I have had to call him a couple of times since my account inception with questions, which he responded accurately and promptly. I have experienced nothing but positive with ADP and Derek **. The system is very easy to use and very convenient.

ADP

Chris - Thank you for taking the time to share your ADP experience with others. We’re happy that you’re enjoying our solutions.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

This process of payroll entry online is a dream come true. Quick, accurate, simple, consistent, always available when I need it! The staff have always been helpful. Especially during end of the year processing. I would recommend this service to anyone. Thank you ADP.

ADP

Thanks for your feedback, Chris! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I have been with ADP for 5 years and have had nothing but stellar service. My questions are answered promptly and accurately and their systems in place make running a business much easier. I have nothing but good things to say about this company.

ADP

Hi Jonell! Thank you for taking the time to review our products and services. We strive to make our products customizable and easy to use for our clients, so thanks for pointing that out!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

We use ADP payroll and Pay-By-Pay workers comp and I must say we LOVE THEIR SERVICES!!! Very easy to use the RUN ADP on our computer or even the mobile app. When we call into ADP for certificates of insurance, we receive them very easily and quickly.

Hi Maureen,

I believe you should have this as resolved. Please do let us know if you need anything further to assist.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Had submitted exemptions since June 14. ADP India said they would escalate and had me fax my papers to a faster route takes only 24-48 hours to process and be reviewed. Everyday I called to check the status and they said everything’s good and that my next paycheck will not be garnished I have 4 exemptions. Come June 27 I called because I received an email I'm being garnish again for the 3rd time. ADP reason it did not get process because of a glitch in their system. Come my 4th check July 14 showing being garnish again.

This shows ADP I have been talking in India are not doing their job in putting my exemptions. It's easier for them to do refunds. I never been lied so many times time and time again and never seen so much incompetence. Talking to ADP India is a nightmare once they don't do a job their job. They opt for an easier route of doing refunds than actually applying the exemptions. I will never work with a company that have ADP as their payroll.

Heather,

I am sorry to see the disappointing experience with us. I would like to help if possible. Could you please private message me with your company code, region and company name as they appear on ADP documents so that we can look into this?

Original review: July 12, 2017

We have had the most frustrating experience with ADP. Just beware and don't believe everything they promise you! I wish we would have looked around a little and realized you can find companies that do the exact same thing for a fraction of the cost! We were told that our payroll fee would be 38.00 a month when in reality we have been paying over 120 a month! We did our workers comp insurance through them and requested to just pay the premium up front, but they said it was easier to pay during payroll. They neglected to tell us that there was a 15.00 processing fee per payment, so we were paying 400 dollars in fees a year on a 300 dollar policy!

Even after I called and paid the premium in full for the year they continued to deduct the 15.00 fee twice a month. When we signed up they said there was a 3 month free promotion that would begin our 4th month of service. Well guess what? We got to the 4th month and called on it and he said that we didn't qualify for that since our accountant referred us. That was his main sales pitch all along and one of the reasons we decided to go with them. We have spent hours trying to get all of these problems sorted out and have been told numerous lies and false promises. Our salesman finally said he would start to VENMO us the difference between what he had quoted us and what they were changing us, but once again that never happened. We are a small business and are hoping our experience will help others so they wont make the same mistake we did!

Carolina,

I am sorry to see the distress outlined below,. I have asked our Benefits Leadership team review this issue. Once they have done so I will respond here with more information.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I am a teacher, which means that I barely make 40,000 a year after spending a lot more than that getting a degree that would ensure I affect the lives of hundreds of children throughout my career. It's not an easy job, but I love doing it, because it's worth it. I can't afford too much, so when I received a letter from ADP telling me that I had 2500 dollars in a flexible spending account that I needed to use within two months or lose it, I decided to undergo LASIK eye surgery. I figured at 2,000 an eye, I could finance the remaining $1500.

When I went to file the claim, I had to call ADP again in order to acquire a registration number. After a few email and phone conversations between my Human Resources department and ADP, it was revealed that the letter was a mistake. I had not elected a flexible spending account, a fact that could have been verified during my pre-surgery phone calls to ADP. So now, I am out 4,000 dollars that I cannot afford, a credit hit, and ADP gets off clear. I bet that company makes a lot more money than I do. I really don't know what to do.

Hi Brad,

I see the service team sent out a response to you on 07/03. Please let us know if you did not receive this or need additional assistance.

Original review: June 30, 2017

All processes worked smoothly until notice from IRS that report for 2nd quarter of start up year (2016) was not filed. All information was provided to ADP at the beginning of that quarter. Also affected the annual filing. Still waiting to hear if problem is being resolved. Overall rating would be much higher if not for this issue.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Overall the ADP payroll services are good but needs to improve a lot on user-friendliness, reports and support services like statement self-service. There is lot of difficulties in registering employees for Statement self-service. Also there are not good reports available for users.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADP?

Meyer

I have confirmed with our service team that they have reached out to you to address your questions. Please do let us know if you need additional help.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I am trying to find a way to print an ROE for an ex-employee. I've asked my rep for this. His answers are short and aren't really helpful. I've asked 2 follow up questions and I still can't find what I'm looking for. What I want is a step-by-step process on how to print an ROE. I've changed selection to "ROE direct filing" per the little instructions I was given. I still don't see the ROE report for the employee. I don't find the answers I was given helpful if you are not an expert with ADP's website.

ADP

ADP works in full compliance with State and Federal guidelines. We do not create the guidelines. If the complainant feels they have not been treated fairly they would need to work with the employer and Leave of Absence team to dispute.

Original review: June 28, 2017

In the past few weeks we have been repeatedly hounded for more information from doctor. I've received Leave of Absence packets at least 3 time a week and my doctor's office receiving multiple faxed of the same form. UNUM approved my benefits with the same information and told them the same as I did ADP. ADP feels faxing and mailing LOA packets to harassment which further complicate the recovery of the employee.

This is their intent to force a return to work and/or by inundating the doctor's office so it would frustrate the doctor. In the frustrating the my doctor, made him even more determine not to release me before fully recovering and disregard ADP tactics. Mostly ADP tactics set my recovery back weeks instead the normal recovery time. ADP knows most doctors charge a fee to complete the forms. Additional time and work for me to call around and for the busy offices to send information that was already sent to them. If anyone is interested, I am considering a class action lawsuit against ADP.

We switched to ADP since the beginning of the year and the service has been great. Your website is easy to use and navigates. I don't have to call my Rep about any questions because the websites is built to help you.

Hi Paula,

I would like to look into this further to address the concerns especially the misinformation given by one of our associates. If you could please let us know via private message either your company code and region/company name or the name of the associate described in your interaction. Also if you need anything to help in closing out your account please do let us know.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Very disappointed with the customer service when canceling service that I decided not to need. The rep lied to me and then gave me attitude when I confronted her. Actually, I was given bad information 2 times. Decided to cancel entire service.

Hi Bridget,

I am very sorry to see the poor experience you described. I would love to look into this and get it in front of our service team so that we can try to understand where we went wrong for you. Also please let us know if there is anything you need help with in closing out your account. We would need your company code/region and company name as they show on your ADP documents.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Worst company decision I have ever made! Company made many errors in filing of my taxes, that cost extra money. Company continued to debit and charge my account for three months after I had formally discontinued services. It took me almost a year to get my money back! Rates charged were much more than hiring a local CPA firm to do same work, but with accurate filing! You couldn't pay me to use them again!

I have found all the customer service reps to be very professional and efficient. They have answered all my questions and concerns or referred me to someone that could. The one issue I have is with the lack of real training for use of the online service; especially the use of the background check opportunity. I loved to use the full potential of services.

Whenever we have an issue and call ADP everyone is very helpful to resolve the problem and usually it is solved by the time the phone call is finished. Everyone seems extremely knowledgeable. This is really helpful when you have a busy schedule and have over 1500 employees.

I have used ADP for about 2 years now. I love them. They make payroll so easy. I used to do it on my own & it was a constant source of stress. Whenever I get stuck I call a representative & they always answer the phone & help with any challenges in a positive & professional manner.

Shari,

In order to assist please provide your company code, region company name and desired outcome so that I can get this to the correct to help you.

Original review: June 15, 2017

An ADP small business payroll salesperson came into our business on a cold call. They provided a quote lower than what we currently paying so we signed up. It was a disaster from the beginning. I told ADP I had to give a 30 day notice to our old payroll provider and the ADP rep "AC" told me it was only a formality and common in their business and if I did not run a payroll they would not charge me so we ran the first payroll right away. Our old provider did not charge us as she had stated.

On the first run with my onboarding payroll specialist, "DO", (2/17/17) I had run a dummy payroll with the old provider so I could match it up with the ADP payroll to ensure that the numbers were the same. There were several errors that needed to be corrected by ADP (good thing I checked). On the third payroll, ADP realized they had not set up the SDI deduction for the state of California. Our company pays this on behalf of our California employees, but ADP set it up as an employee deduction and deducted SDI YTD, even though it was already deducted as an employer liability by our old provider.

Now I had employees calling me asking why their paychecks were lower. I discovered the issue and notified my payroll specialist "CB". ADP terminated the affected employees and added them as new employees and refunded the deductions to the employees. One of the employees received a refund for a deduction amount that was never even deducted from him and for another the refund was never processed until I advised ADP of such. The "corrections" were made by ADP on the 4th payroll but they ran 15 payroll "batches" to do so. After all this, they still did not correct the employer paid SDI deduction and when they filed the quarterly tax reports they deposited the SDI that was refunded to the employees, and neglected to deposit the 3/31 state withholding taxes.

We have now received a notice from the state of California with penalties and interest stating this had to be paid by June 30. Sent this to ADP on 5/30/17 and was told it was submitted to their tax tracer team but I still have not heard anything back from them on the tax issue and when I check status in their system it says "unassigned". I then got a call from our old service provider stating they wanted us back (we had been with them for over 10 years) and offered a lower cost than ADP to come back. At this point I was more than ready and told them that I needed to give 30 days notice to ADP.

Again I was told by our old service provider that it was only a formality and common in their business and if I did not run a payroll they would not charge me so we ran the first payroll right away. Only ADP charged us for the 30 days of payrolls we did not run. When I sent an e-mail to "AC" asking why she never responded. I can't upload e-mails documenting this due to privacy issues but I have them on file.

Jason,

Were you able to get your issue resolved?

Original review: June 15, 2017

In the past few weeks we have been repeatedly hounded for more information from doctor visits stretching back over the past year. These 13 visits seem normal such as birth of a child, follow up visits at the pediatricians, dentist visits for cleaning and cavities, eye doctor visits where glasses and contacts were ordered. It makes no sense that ADP is not getting the information from the insurance company United Healthcare. These follow up requests require additional time and work for us to call around and for the busy offices to send information that was already sent to the insurance company. We would be better off using a health savings plan.

Tia

Were you able to get your issue resolved?

Original review: June 15, 2017

I canceled the commuter spending account online and these people say they don't have a record of me logging into the system for weeks. I was logged into the system while we were on the phone. I have called these people twice about canceling and receiving a refund, they refuse to give any type of a refund and trying to consume my money. I have talked to a manager twice and he appears to be more concerned about not admitting fault and maintaining a firm no, than trying to resolve the issue. He stated he would call me back within 48 hours, and two days later no response. I wish I had never participated in this parking account. They are a terrible company that doesn't care about the people using their product.

Michelle

ADP does try to validate the expense for auto substantiation. This is done with the insurance carrier based on files we receive from them. However, ADP does not reach out to providers or third party billing agencies. There are a number of reasons that we may or may not be able to substantiate a claim directly with the carrier. When we are not able to do so, we do reach out to the participant to supply the documents needed.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I use ADP flexible spending through my work. Have used WageWorks in past. ADP has never tried to validate any of my medical expenses. When asked two phone operators who were very courteous regarding what attempts they made to validate purchases they changed the subject and finally one said, "Well that's another dept." The problem with validating an expense is that medical offices now use offsite business office so to get itemized receipts you have to jump through hoops come back in a week etc. This is first ADP's responsibility and if they cannot get a receipt then the consumer should provide a receipt but they have made no attempts to validate any of my medical claims. Even as you wait on the phone for customer service their recorded msg says, "While we make every attempt to validate receipts." They do not.

Jan,

Sorry to see the experience you have described. I have asked our FSA Leaders to review your account and reach out to you. Once they do I will also follow up here.

Original review: June 14, 2017

ADP is the most incompetent and poorly managed flexible spending account processor that I have ever encountered. I operate a business with over 100 employees and have used several third party vendors to manage flexible spending. NEVER have I had an issue with any, except ADP. ADP does not respond within a reasonable time for customer issues.

Everything takes 3-5 days, even if they are correcting something as simple as a typo (made on their end). The majority of claims are denied, despite clearly being eligible. For example I had a bill from CVS pharmacy, clearly marked RX and clearly marked FSA eligible, yet the submission was denied. After 33 minutes on hold, they concluded that it was their error and they would create a ticket and correct it in 3-5 business days. Meanwhile, my account has been frozen and I am unable to access my own funds. This is only my most recent example. There are far too many to list here. I believe that ADP customers should be reimbursed for time lost due to ADP's inability to provide the service which they are being paid to perform, and I suspect every customer could document substantial time lost. One star is far too generous.

Mike

The submission of receipts is not controlled by ADP, these are federally mandated by the IRS and must be adhered to so that we remain in compliance.

Original review: June 13, 2017

HORRIBLE - with the flexible spending card you have to submit receipts and explanation of benefits for every transaction. I have to spend WAY TOO MUCH time keeping up with this nonsense. If I use the card at the doctor's office, ADP needs proof that it was for a medical reason. Do they think I am buying clothes at the doctor's office? I have started asking myself if it is really worth being able to use pre-tax dollars versus the time wasted providing them with the information that they need. Think about it!

Hi Karen,

I am sorry to hear of the password issues. Would you like us to have one of our support team reach out to your employer to try to diagnose the issue? Please let us know.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I get paid bi-weekly, and every time I have to reset my password multiple time. I get messages say the system is down, the url is incorrect. This is a joke. And as of 3:30 pm today I am still unable to log in. As a manager I have worked with other payroll companies that are so much better than this company.

Jason,

We do apologize for the issues raised. We do take your needs and feedback very seriously. Please let us know if there is anything currently that you need help with and we will be happy to look into if for you.

Original review: June 5, 2017

Brief and to the point, server is down more than up. People cannot log in half the time, and making thing very difficult. And no control over getting the issues resolved. They tell you they are working on it, which they maybe but been a month now and still. Definitely think twice before switching to cloud based ADP log in.

David,

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you and your concerns.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I tried to fill out an application and it kept stating that a required field had to be checked. No matter how many times I checked it I kept getting a required field message. The worst part of it all is there is no one to inquire about this. I also have their phone app for work and what a POS! Bloated, slow, locks up all the time.

Dylan,

I have asked our 401K team review your concerns and reach out to you to address. When they have done so I will follow up here.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I am trying to close my account and I am getting zero cooperation from ADP. They are refusing to send me a check for my vested balance, and are refusing to close the 401k account under my name. I called ADP and made a policy termination request confirmation #**. The lady said I had to fill out a form, so they sent a termination form #206 with a letter which instructed me to fill it out and give it to my plan administrator, which I did. A few weeks later we had a meeting, and the form was given back to me. The administrator told me he spoke with ADP, that they didn't want the form, and said I could just call and cancel at any time. He also gave me a number provided by ADP to call.

Well I just called, and they are refusing to close the account under my name. I instructed them that they did not have permission to make any deductions or to keep an account open in my name. I might add that all the letters and forms were lacking the ADP company name, logo, address or signature. The last letter was claiming it was from my own company, but was generated and mailed by ADP. The support agent I spoke to today did not know enough English to explain anything. Consumers beware, this 401k is not using up-front policies or procedures, and the investments made nothing at all. Both the company and myself are getting the run around from ADP representatives. Just now, the website was down, which is unacceptable. It is a financial server and should not have any downtime.

Factual basis uncertain

They say Preventive Health Care is Free, but it isn't. When they explain how health insurance works in their videos, they say preventive care is 100% covered. And yet, when one goes to get preventive care, one finds out that there are co-payments one must make. It infuriates me how this company lies for a cheap buck.

Where to Start, from Micheal ** and David ** through Jennifer ** and Keaton **, every time I had a questions or need help they were there to simplify and care about my company. As a young entrepreneur it helps to count on reliable people!

Candice,

Totally understood Candice. I wasn't trying to sway you merely trying to help since you had mentioned availability of funds. Please let us know if you need anything from us.

Regards,

ADP Social Care Team

Original review: June 1, 2017

I strongly suggest any business not to hire ADP. The staff is completely incapable of handling any and all issues. Currently their HSA and FSA accounts. This company is holding funds deposited by both me and my employer. I have been given the runaround for 3 weeks and each time I call the agent has no clue what I'm talking about all the way up to their supervisor, escalation department, and HSA departments. Save yourself the headache trust me... the incompetence is beyond anything on this planet. Each time they have told me the issue was handled it wasn't, I have been transferred back and forth between departments, rudely hung up on. If I was a cancer patient I would be dead being that ADP TotalSource is holding my money captive. I will be seeking representation.

David,

We are not able to find your first and last name in our system. Could you please verify what shows on your ADP Portal or Paystub as for the name in the system?

Original review: May 30, 2017

This Flexible Spending Account Card gets refused even for over-the-counter drugs prescribed by a physician. Unlike most other cards, very often it proves useless. ADP's customer service is helpless about it too. The last card refusal I had was at Costco pharmacy based on the fact that the prescribed drug was over the counter and ADP's FSA credit card did not cover it. I never heard such thing before. Our friends can use their FSA (non-ADP companies) on anything remotely relating to health and medical matters.

Factual basis uncertain

They do not pay on time! I have problems with this company multiple times! When I call they are always never able to help me, even when I was told to call! I will never work for another company who has ADP.

Hi Carol,

I am sorry to see your concerns below. I would like to have them addressed if you could please provide your company code and region, company name as they appear on ADP documents. Once I have that I will have our Service Leaders review and reach out to resolve

Original review: May 24, 2017

When starting with ADP for our payroll and quarterlies they asked for mounds of paperwork, which was fine, and gave me the impression that they had all the information they needed to perform their job properly. I was incorrect. The information I gave to the first person was not given in its entirety to the second department or the third department. It's been a ** show, pure and simple. Attempts to complain online or over the phone have been ignored (which is why I'm here).

I just received a notice from the Employment Security Department that the forms they sent in on our behalf for quarterlies were not filled in correctly. I sent the document to them asking if I should complete this form and send it in or if they would fix things on their end to ensure that it doesn't happen again. It's been a week and I've had no response. Seriously regretting this decision. Oh, and there were surprises in the billing for services as well. There were so many mistakes make, and so much time devoted to getting these mistakes fixed that I cannot list them here. Do yourself a favor and shop around!

Kettia

You need to work directly with your employer on this. They in turn can contact their Service Team directly. We are happy to look into it with the direct request from our client. This is to protect your information and ensure proper confidentiality.

Original review: May 17, 2017

My name is Kettia **. I work for YAI/Rockland County Association for the learning disabled. Their contact information is **. My cause for concern is when I started working here they sent out my very 1st paycheck out by mail but I never received it. When I check my ADP account, it's still pending, meaning no one has cashed it. This check was suppose to be for April 1, 2017 and it's now May 17, 2017. When I talk to my employer, they're telling me they're waiting on ADP to send a confirmation that they got the money back. But my question is if it's lost in the mail will they get their money back? Can someone from ADP contact me at ** or via email at ** or you can contact my employer with the number I provided up above. To better explain the situation and how this process works it would greatly be appreciated. Thank you for your cooperation.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

ADP has served over 610,000 clients with cloud-based Human Capital Management (HCM) for over 60 years. Its services help businesses of all sizes take on human resources, payroll, talent, tax and benefits administration tasks using technology to simplify processes. ADP tailors its payroll services for small, midsized, large and multinational business solutions.

• Small business solutions: ADP’s small business payroll solutions are made for companies with up to 50 employees and come in three packages: Essential, Enhance and Complete plus HR. Essential payroll lets you run the software online, by phone or using ADP’s mobile app. It features services like direct deposit, payroll delivery, electronic reports, general ledger interface, eTimecard, 1099 and W-2 and tax filing. Enhanced payroll features everything from the Essential package plus HR tips and resources to keep you informed, while the Complete package includes a full range of HR tools.
  • Midsized business solutions: ADP’s midsized business payroll solutions are for companies with 50-1,000 employees and comes in three packages with varying features that help you manage things like payroll, tax filing and payroll tax compliance. ADP’s midsized business payroll automation gives your employees mobile access to pay statements, W-2s and self-service tools.
  • Large business solutions: ADP’s large business payroll solutions are for businesses with over 1,000 employees. You can integrate payroll with HR, timekeeping and benefits administration tasks, simplify for PTO accrual and take advantage of online reports for better analysis. ADP’s large business payroll solutions minimize the challenges big companies face by simplifying its cloud-based software to make keeping track of every employees payroll and tax information.
  • Multinational business solutions: ADP offers two packages for businesses with global workforces to help them manage their payroll. ADP GlobalView is an integrated suite of global HCM services, including talent management and payroll expertise services. The ADP Streamline package is a multinational payroll software that gives businesses access to consistent, multi-country payroll data and minimizes the need for in-country payroll specialists.
  • Pricing: Interested companies can request a quote online for each of ADP’s payroll solutions. They offer your first two months for free when you sign up for an account.
  • Best for companies of any size that are looking for a cloud-based payroll software.

ADP Company Profile