2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

Tred.com is a website dedicated to helping both buyers and sellers save money when buying or selling a car online. The company cuts out the middleman by acting as a broker but without charging the usual high broker fees. Tred accepts private dealers only and helps with transactions and logistical issues like taxes and title transfers. It also inspect cars to make sure they’re fit for sale.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Tred Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tred?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Good for sellers, awful for buyers. Took almost 5 months to get my title! I bought a used 2008 BMW 335i Convertible via Tred last July. Set up a test drive thru the app, seller and I negotiated a price, I wired the 10 grand to Tred and they notified the seller they received the money. I went over the next day, we filled out the paperwork, I drove away. Printed a temporary registration, FedExed the paperwork to Tred who said they would take care of the DMV work and smog. Then I waited. The website stated I should get my title in 45 days. I started getting almost daily text messages and regular emails that they had not received my paperwork even though I had delivery confirmation.

This went on for the next couple months. I got nervous as I sent them a chunk of money. I spoke to several different customer service reps, all friendly, that's why 2 stars instead of 1. While waiting and receiving many apologies and excuses, my temporary registration expired, they emailed me another. Month 4, they told me they needed a smog certificate. Hadn't they already taken care of it? Being a used car, I had to spend a few hundred bucks before it would pass smog. I went on vacation, worried that I would come home to an expired registration sticker and still no title. I was pleasantly surprised to find my title, registration sticker, and a $60 check reimbursing me for my smog certificate. Verdict: DON'T DO IT! Nerve wracking experience, company is disorganized, customer service is so overloaded with a backlog of work they have no idea what's going on.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Thought I was doing a good thing selling my car with a loan on TRED. Huge mistake. Buyer was prepared to pay cash. They had over $300 unexpected fees and the buyer STILL DOES NOT HAVE TITLE months after my car loan was paid off and title cleared. Total scam!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Registered with Tred; uploaded photos; entered all auto info; entered bank info. Received message "Status: In Review. We're reviewing your Mazda and will notify you of our Instant Offer in the next 24 hours. Send us a message using the chat button below if you have any questions!" 2.5 months later this message still exists. Contacted CS via chat and was informed California location not within their marketing area. But whole sellers would be contacted and be able to see vehicle info. 4 weeks went by; *called CS and CS rep stated whole sellers were never contacted and would take care of asap. No contacts were received. Finally listed vehicle with Military Auto Service due to close proximity to Naval Air Station and sold my vehicle within a couple of weeks. **Very ppor customer service and/or follow through** WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Definitely do not recommend! We lost over $1000 due to Tred not providing us with the correct paperwork in a timely manner- even though they kept insisting it was being sent. Even after the fact, I had hoped this company would do the right thing but they have not. Here are the details of our experience: We bought a car using Tred (money sent 7/14/2020, received the car 7/24/2020). Before starting the transaction, I called the company to make sure they could actually get the car titled in Nebraska because I did not know how that was possible as any new car needs to be inspected. I was told they were successful in doing this across all states and I still had to pay the registration and fees to get this done.

Throughout the months of August and early September, we called and emailed countless amount of times to find out when the car would be registered and we were constantly told, "it was being taken care of", but it never was. However, in mid Sept (I believe 9/9), we were finally contacted by Tred that they would not be able to register the car and that I would be receiving a check and the title in the mail. When nothing came, we contacted again- probably weekly as we needed the title to license the car and we only had 60 days to license the car with our previous car's registration. Over and over again, we were told it was in the mail. On one occasion we were told it was not sent because they could not 'cut a check' so I asked to just send the registration so we could at least get the car registered, but that never happened.

Finally, we received the information in the mail after the work day on Oct. 13, 2020. We registered the car right away but received a $9 late fee since it took over 2.5 months to receive it and the temporary in transit/license was expired. In addition, because we could not register within 60 days, we were not able to use the credit for our previous car that we sold, which was $1080 lost.

We were told there were issues with the person that is no longer working at this company, but I am now out $1089 due to the delays of the paperwork, misinformation that the paperwork was "in the mail" and the countless contacts by me to get this resolved. Even after the fact my emails are going unanswered even though we were told this was escalated. I really wanted to get this issue resolved and hoped Tred would do the right thing, but I cannot accept losing $1000+ due to their poor business practices and failure to do the right thing to make things right for this customer. Definitely would not recommend this service.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

This site made things so easy for me. My car literally was sold within 24 hours of me listing it. It's cheap to set up and completely worth it! They took care of all the paperwork and money transfers.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

From the very beginning this company is a nightmare to work with. Communication is terrible. Ability to perform duties as promised is terrible as well. A well oiled machine it is not. They were unable to complete my state's paperwork, so they handed everything back to me and told me to do it and refunded the registration and sales tax they had charged me. But, in addition, they charged me a documentation fee of $200.00 but did absolutely nothing for this $200.00. So, I requested my $200.00 be refunded and they agreed but I have not seen the money even after multiple requests. They should be investigated for their business practices. I would urge anyone and everyone to go elsewhere to buy a car.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

Flawless first experience selling through Tred. I sold my 2013 Ford Escape for the asking price and more than double the car dealership trade-in value. Tred was super responsive for my questions and helped close the deal in under a week with my buyer. They're awesome and will disrupt the used car market for sure! Keep it up!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I feel like I am dealing with robots and not humans. I have asked several times for an address change as original address was wrong on my temp registration and they just sent me the same thing with no changes. I have explained this to several people via, phone, email and text and I know that the email and text cannot be real people? They just send same answers over and over with no results.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I signed up with TRED to sell my car on Monday, and it sold on Tuesday--yes, the very next day! I will definitely use this service again. I doubt that I will ever again trade in a vehicle to a dealership. There is no easier way to sell a car.

Gina R.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

This was my first time using TRED. Very professional and easy to work with. I do recommend users read and understand T&C, how it works and what to expect before signing up! I'll definitely use them again!

Tred Company Information