Chrysler PT Cruiser
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Chrysler PT Cruiser

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 12, 2017

42 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Great cars. Love the ones I have had. Have had them since 2001 and use them on my mail route perfect. Because things go wrong does not mean they are POS. Me I will bash Ford all the time because I do not like them lol. I own a 2007 PT and yes money gets put into them when we drive them. I replace brakes every 3 months etc. Motor mounts once a month and change the oil. I go through tires and front hubs and other problems but does not bother me because I know the reasons these things happen.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

2 years ago check engine light came on. My son spent $2,000 to get it fixed. Not fixed. Was told it was some problem in the PCM. A few months later, engine light comes on again. Take to another mechanic. Again, thought fixed. No, light comes on again. Took to a third mechanic. Changes the sensors and installs a "used" PCM. Cost, $2,000. Light comes on again 10 months later. PCM bad again. Paid $1,700 for another factory refurbished PCM. Now the engine light does not come on but the left rear window will not work. I love this car, but I obviously got the LEMON. It does not even have 70K miles on it. Fiat/Chrysler should give this old lady of 76 a new car. I certainly cannot buy on social security.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I bought my 2007 Cruiser PCH in March of 2009, when my Ford acquired an electrical gremlin. It was a new car with 30 miles on it. During the test drive the original battery in it failed, no surprise it just sat for 2 years. A replacement battery was put in it. Many reviewers here complain about fuel economy, I cannot. With the 17' rims and a 5 speed I averaged between 30-33 mpg on my long drives to college about an hour each way. I touched 36 mpg twice while on road trips from Ohio to Virginia Beach. I attribute that economy to me driving sensible on flat Ohio land. I have now 167,000 miles and live in the mountains of Virginia. My economy has gotten worse albeit not bad. My last tank I averaged 27.3 MPG.

In the nearly 9 years I have owned my car I have had a few problems. At 33,000 I had a wheel bearing go bad. At 70,000 a caliper stuck. At 120,000 an axle needed replaced. 150,000 a cam position sensor went bad. At 165,000 a window motor stopped. Last week my first light went out, it was a tail light. I change my oil at 7,500 miles using only Mobil 1 extended life (15,000) synthetic oil and a Bosch extended guard filter (10,000). I change my brakes yearly due to people who ride brakes down mountains. I keep up with maintenance. My timing belt and water pump was done at 100,000. My tune-up is done every 3 years. I replace the air filter, plug wires, and use Bosch Platinum plugs.

This little car has gotten me through snow and mud. Once my wife had a labor scare and I made a 1hr 15min drive in 45 minutes when everyone was told to be off the roads due to severe snow. Some reviews on here are made by fools listening to idiots. A fuse in a gas tank... wow... gullible! If you are buying a used car which all Cruisers are now, do your homework on the car being bought. I have 9 years of records in my glove box. Have a good mechanic check it out. If the price is too good to believe, there is a reason. I have loved my car and it has never left me on the side of the road.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

We have 6 PT Cruiser that are use for our installers, we change the oil every 4k miles, replace the transmission fluid every 50k miles and they are all running and getting close to 180k to 200k. No major problems, they are very good small vehicles. Problems, we have replace 4 fans, 2 crankshaft sensors, 4 engine mounts, 1 shifter cables, all these parts in 6 different vehicles they are all 2005 and 2006 models, now we are looking for 6 PT Cruisers 2010 models. If you are looking to buy a used PT Cruiser make sure the timing belt and water pump service was done, we did it before they reach 90k. Cost was $600 per vehicle

Original review: July 8, 2017

I purchased my 2005 PT Cruiser in July 2006. It was the PT Cruiser Limited Edition. Had less than 25,000 miles on it. I drove it happily for a few days shy of 11 years until an elderly man pulled out smack-dab in front of me with his minivan. No matter how hard I tried to stop, he just appeared too rapidly and I slammed right into him. Thankfully, no one was horribly injured - I just have damage to my neck and hips, as I was steeled, with my foot on the brake. My front bumper took most of the impact, which shoved the left fender and side of the car into my door and of course, the front left wheel.

Over the years I owned it, all I really needed to do was regular maintenance, a battery or two change, and tires. It was a wonderful vehicle, and I am really sorry that Chrysler decided to discontinue their manufacture. It was heavy, held LOTS of groceries, was well-designed - (in my opinion), and a joy to drive. I miss it. Looking at another one, tomorrow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chrysler?

Original review: May 31, 2017

The PT Cruiser is the biggest piece of ** Chrysler decided to stamp their name on before Plymouth made the mistake --- new radiator, sensors, seat belts and sensors, trans and engine for ** sake not to forget all the towing, etc bills -- the only thing done right was that I bought a lifetime warranty so 13k out the door cash for this crap pile on a used car with over 12k in work. If Chrysler really gave as much ** about their consumers who committed caricide financially/Emotionally as they did their 1 bil yearly salaries, maybe we'd actually "get somewhere" driving a car --- I'd love a show of hands of who else would like to see photos of the French or whatever he is CEO of Chrysler now as well as board members that bend over for him of each standing next to their pt cruisers in their driveways... Oops... Forgot. They don't drive Chryslers... Tools.

Original review: April 16, 2017

2006 PT Cruiser Limited - I posted last year as to its positive amenities, and just updating same. Not to beat a dead horse, but maintenance is the key to the performance of any car. It just turned 135,000 miles, and the AC needed repair, as well as radiator, fan, and motor mounts. The cost was $1, 200.00. Yes, that is substantial. However, it equates to 4 car payments, which in the long run, is a bargain. Bottom line, and to reiterate, take care of a car, and you will have happy motoring.

Original review: April 12, 2017

The front bumper (PT Cruiser) is so very low that it hits the concrete blocks at the end of parking stalls. There was a crack on the passenger side of the bumper, there is a crack on the driver's side now. And the passenger side now is coming apart more & the front grill is off center now. Does anyone else have this problem? I get LOUSY gas mileage also! I cannot afford a new car but am afraid the front bumper may just fall off my car while I'm driving if I hit one of those famous huge potholes that we have all over our roads in California.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I have a silver PT Cruiser 2001 limited edition (thank God it's a limited edition). I purchased the car back in 2014 used. All I had with this car is issues. Yea perhaps I did not took the proper care of it, it's my first car. So the issues arise whenever I accelerate the engine too quickly. Engine overheats and leaks everywhere from every place. It's ridiculous people who made the car didn't think twice about how low it was from the ground. The car is so compacted it's too difficult to work on it.

A simple water pump change cost 800 dollars because the car had to be taken apart for their hands to fit in there. If it was another car it would have been less. And the worst thing about this stupid car is the quality. If you fix something, something else breaks. The car isn't worth anything now. I would pay to get rid of it and its horrific memories. If you are thinking about buying a PT Cruiser, don't waste your money. I am sure Chrysler produced the car to make money from the car breaking down and having to get parts replaced. Constant maintenance and cheap to make.

I am glad Chrysler went bankrupt. The people who engineered the car were ** morons. I would have done a better job and I don't even have a degree or know anything about cars, but at least I would produce something that is so cheap and with such poor quality. You know to be honest I didn't even get the chance to explain all the things that went wrong with my car but I definitely won't be able to finish.

You name it...from engine head cracks and extreme lack of power, radiator, hoses, thermostat, water-pump, timing belt, AC compressor, the knob to change the angle of the seat broke off (cheap metal or plastic but it broke like a twig), door locks, electrical wiring in from the doors to the AC ventilation to the knob the flicks on the head lights. Door handles don't open doors. Locks don't lock appropriately. The back door struts, ignition starter, anti-breaking system will activate on its own when driving, had to replace the entire thing...and so much more other **.

Unfortunately the brakes actually work (does not include the ABS) since I did not crash the car. I spent more money on fixing the car than the amount of money I bought it for and what it's worth now combined. Every time I fixed the car I thought this will get the job done, no more issues will occur, but after a month or two no more!! Other issues occurred. I was so naive to think I was going to get anywhere. I had a Moped once before I got the car. I want my Moped back, I made a terrible mistake when I switched. I rather walk or take the bus, it's more reliable.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

2006 PT Cruiser is a great car! I have owned my cruiser since new in 2006. Great car. Been all over the country with it. 120,000 miles and going strong. Just regular maintenance, oil changes and timing belt at 100,000. You people whine and cry because you have to do a timing belt or other repair. Get a life. Any car will need some repairs. Don't like the car then sell it. Seems like half of you aren't smart enough to even own a car.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I've had my PT Cruiser 7 months. In that time, I've replaced the battery twice, the thermostat, the radiator cap, and had the gas leak "repaired" 3 times. The mechanic finally said it's manufacturer issue and that it's common for PT Cruisers and can't be fixed. It is a fire Hazard and Chrysler is well aware of the issue and refuses to do anything about it. I see a class action lawsuit in preparation.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Bought my 2006 PT Cruiser privately in October last year. Took it to mechanic for roadworthy. Mechanic rang me THAT DAY and tried to talk me out of buying it as he said "These cars are terrible and you will need to put aside $70 a week to cover repairs." I thought he was being ridiculous! Well, after paying $2000 for roadworthy, within 3 months I was forking out $1000 for new A/C (right in middle of summer with a young child!). Three months later another $1000 for new fuel pump. Last week clutch cable "snapped" in the middle of major highway with my young daughter in car. Almost had 3 cars run into me until pushed off road by 4 young helpful men! Another $700 to repair clutch cable which apparently just "burst!" Decided this pile of rubbish was not only expensive but dangerous!

In my 25 years of driving and owning cars have never wasted so much money on a car! Actual price of car was $4000 (a "great deal" I thought at the time). Nearly $5000 for repairs including roadworthy in less than 12 months is downright disgraceful and nothing short of just stealing my money. As a single mum this is frankly just despicable. I traded this so called "car" in this week for a reliable Japanese made car. Don't EVER buy a Chrysler PT Cruiser!

Original review: July 15, 2016

Started with a brand new PT in February 2001 ( automatic transmission ) ordered from the factory. In the 15 years and 230,000 miles I have been driving it, it has never let me down. The service costs have been low normal and my experience has been nothing short of fantastic. The car has been all over North America, through tough Canadian winters, overloaded for vacation trips and so on. It has performed well at every turn. I accept that every brand can have a lemon or two, but based on the PTs I see on the road there still a lot of loyal drivers out there that enjoy driving a PT Cruiser. The only beef I have is that Chrysler could have made it more fuel efficient. I will continue to drive my PT for the foreseeable future.

Original review: June 8, 2016

POS. 2003 with only 65,000 miles on the car. I hardly drive it. Why you might ask? Because every time I get in the vehicle I know that trip is going to end up costing me another trip to the auto shop! New battery (twice!), the dock where the battery lays is missing a bolt so the entire battery "shakes, rattles, and rolls"; new A/C everything--every single part, new power steering, the oil leaks, new paint job, and I could go on and on. I am a disabled veteran and have been waiting for my disability award since 2009. I needed a vehicle so my mother "gave" me hers to drive.

I am upset because what seemed like a benevolent thing to do was really a money-pit for me in the end. I will continue to upkeep this car to perfection and cannot WAIT to give her back this POS! Please, if anyone actually reads these reviews. If you are on a tight budget for whatever reason: school, kids, retirement, it doesn't matter. Steer clear of the PT Cruiser! You will end up putting more money into this hunk-o-junk than it is worth. The company and CEO should be accountable for these inferior designs and workmanship.

Original review: May 31, 2016

I just love my Chrysler Cruiser. Great runner really well made engine. And makes me and my partner Maureen feel good. Of course some people have had trouble but this seems to happen to any make of car but on the whole the only money I have spent is what you would spend on any car as in tires servicing brakes etc normal stuff. Can Cruise as well as drive fast. That's why it's called a cruiser because it feels just as good going slow in this car. Love it.

Original review: May 12, 2016

I have been diligently researching and cross-referencing all information I read but I am absolutely offended by the person who pretty much said we have not cared and maintained our vehicles in the manner he has done his, therefore that is why we have problems with ours. ** HIM! You have no idea how I have babied my car as a woman and what I have had to learn before any attempt of repair and I keep coming back to the same issue of the ** oil return line. I CANNOT STAND IGNORANT PEOPLE.

Original review: May 1, 2016

I bought it with 75,000 miles on it. It now has 130,000. I have had regular maintenance + changed the plug/plug wires, the timing belt, serpentine's, flushed and refilled the radiator and transmission, rotate the tires even 7,000.00 miles. I say all of this to counter the complaints on this website about this car. I would suspect that most of those dissatisfied have not performed suggested repairs, etc. In addition, as to the noted rusting transmittals. Look people, just washing a car is not enough to prevent that problem on this or any car. The doors, hatch, hood need to be opened to dry and then a polish or wax applied throughout to keep any car looking good. In closing, I have attached photos as proof positive to these claims.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

I bought this car practically brand new (1 year old & 3000 miles). The fact that it even made it to 90,000 is a testament to my Dad and my other mechanics. What a lemon! Want to burn a quart of oil every week? This is your car! Want to replace the shifting cable right at 37,000 miles. Not a cheap repair (dealer only part of course and would have required a tow if we were crafty about getting it out of the driveway with a screwdriver). I've left the best for last: 2 engine fans plus 2 AC compressors (the fan problem cause the compressor problem) in a period of about 18 months.

At the same time I had a Chrysler minivan with no issues (I've heard I just got really lucky with the Town & Country). I easily put $6000 worth of repairs into this car over less than 4 years. We traded in our 14 year old Subaru for the PT and now we've traded in the PT for another reliable Subaru. I am done with American cars forever. Both Chryslers were also made in Canada. My Subaru is made in Indiana and my VW is made in Kentucky.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I got my cruiser about a year ago and the day after I got it, it overheated as I sat in the drive-thru line at Rally's. Took it back to the dealership, they said it was the fan not properly coming on when needed. Claimed to have replaced it after keeping my car for a whole month. Got the car back, drove fine about another 2 months then oil light kept dinging every now and then. I had oil changed but it still did the same thing. A week after that, the airbag light kept dinging every ten minutes (very annoying)! Next, the car would start to jerk and wouldn't accelerate. The check engine light came on at this point so I would put it in neutral and turn off the engine. Wait about 5 minutes and crank it back up, no problem. This started to happen too often so I took it back to dealership, replaced sensor.

Guess what happened next??? Not even a full 6 months after it was overheating, it started that again every time I sat still (traffic light, drive thru, front yard). It got to a point where the water started to disappear because I went from having to put water in it once a week to sometimes 3-4 times a day cause the water level light would ding. Oil light would ding every week indicating it needs oil even after I have added oil two days prior. But I NEVER saw any leaks or indications as to where these fluids were leaking out. No oil spots or wet spots on my carport floor or anything.

So finally the other day as I was driving, it started to sputter and didn't want to go and finally shut down in the middle of the road. Dealership said it's the timing this time. I'm not putting another dime into this car. I only had $4920 left to pay it off but it's just not worth it. I will NEVER get another Chrysler car or recommend it to anyone ever again. Chrysler should be held responsible for such a poorly designed vehicle, as if the hardworking families out here aren't struggling enough. They are a rip off and should've had a recall on these vehicles a long time ago. They won't burn me again, selling these so called "top of the line" lemons.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

My son bought this car at CarMax a year ago, which was a lemon. All PT Cruisers are lemons for that matter. It's a 2007. Bought it in 2014. Put over 2500.00 into it and now with 91000 miles needs a timing belt and an in depth tune up including cleaning fuel injectors and ignition coils. That's why Chryslers suck.

Original review: July 31, 2015

I have an 05 PT Cruiser. It was originally my mother's. A few years later she got a new and lo and behold I get this thing. I personally love it. Yes indeed it has its flaws, to start with October of last year the timing belt and the motor for the AC went out. Took it in, got it fixed. She's fine. Now go a few months later to this month July of 2015, car has no AC. No idea. I don't mind it. I'm 22. The wind is pretty nice at times. I usually only get cold air from my car if it's cold out or if it's raining. Well just earlier this month my car starts having problems. The first one gas pedal sticking. That's pretty scary but I had to get to work not bothering with it right that very second. Upon getting off work and going home car is acting funny. You could feel a vibration from the gas pedal and throughout the car. That was another red flag that said this thing is gonna put me on the side of the road. Get about half a mile down and she starts lunging.

I knew then she was gonna give out. Puts me on side of road. Well took it in after towing it, the problems were the throttle body and cable for the gas pedal, the alternator threw one of the two belts, went ahead and replaced it along with the other original cable. Replaced the parts for the throttle and cable as for the AC? There's a leak in the evaporator. Honestly I love this car. She's old yes but to me if you got time and some money to throw at it and take it to a RELIABLE mechanic who knows what you're talking about and knows cars, it can be fixed even though an inconvenience when you do have things to do. This particular car is flawed and poor design, but it's a good car despite that. If you don't like it then get something else.

Original review: June 28, 2015

I bought a 2007 PT for my wife from a dealership. It had 77,000 mile. Had it 5 months timing belt broke so had to replace it. So of course had I bought the kit which contains the water pump and all the other crap. I mean if you got to go through all that work better change out the water pump being how it's ran off the timing belt. 1000 mile later it breaks down again. This time however no one even the service garage has no idea what's wrong with it. They have changed crankcase sensor, cam sensor coil pack just to name a few things. I've spent 1200 buck last month. 800 of that went to the shop. Yesterday I ended up taking out another loan to buy my wife another car while this 2007 PT Cruiser that we own 7000 grand on sits in the garage. Don't buy one there. Complete crap car lots. Won't even take them as a trade in. What that tell you? The world got ripped off by the makers of these cars. Bet they won't own one!

Original review: May 31, 2015

I have had 3 PT Cruisers. I love them but why was the oil pan so poorly made??? I can go maybe a year of oil changes before the oil pan opening becomes too big for the plug. Aluminum is too thin and too soft for this part. This has happened on every one of the 3 PT's I've had. The last time I had to fix (replace) the oil pan was at a cost of $410.00 - due to a dealership being the only place to get the oil pan. Why is this a cost I should continually have to bare?? You made an inferior part - and that is not my fault. Surely someone else has had this problem. I believe this should have been a recall issue.

Original review: May 19, 2015

2006 pt cruiser, purchased at tim short, hazard ky - Car would totally stop running while driving, sometimes in fast lane on highway. I replaced computer, sensors, timing belt, just everything!!! I took to Goodyear and top man stated, "I give up." He has 30 yrs exp. I purchased this car with student loan money. It took forever to get it. I only put 5000 miles on car. I also have over 3000 friends that will receive a copy of this complaint. They agreed to resend it to thousands of friends... All I want is Chrysler to buy this back. I forgot to say new wiring. This is a bad car from the start. I should have purchased a Ford because they did not get bailed out, or bankrupted few years ago. 5/19/2015

Original review: April 25, 2015

The cat had a little over 111,xxx miles on it. I had to replace the timing belt, water pump, calipers, and radiator while it still had other things that needed fixing. A week after this, the car started on fire and was totaled due to mechanical problems.

Original review: March 29, 2015

When I start or stop then try to run my PT Cruiser from stop position the car idle and run only on 2 or 3 pistons. The other are dead or something like that and then put it in park and rev it then sometime it's right. Drive smoothly the next stop all over again. So if only 2 pistons are working and later the other to come in only when you rev it. Pls try to assist me.

Original review: March 12, 2015

Car was repaired. Oil leakage from seals fixed. 2 yrs later, same problem oil leakage.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

2005 PT Cruiser. I bought this car used and with a little over 100000 miles on it. Had car 6 WEEKS and while driving 65mph on a major highway my transmission blew up. I paid 9000.00 for used car, the tranny goes. The front end sounds like it's falling apart, rattles, shakes, and vibrates violently. Let's not forget the tail lights are falling off the car. Though the mechanic at dealer swears there's nothing wrong with it. Now $12,000 in the hole with car still making payments I want out. This car sucks on gas and no matter what I do it still drains my wallet. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. I will never ever buy or suggest to anyone to buy these cars. I see a lot of them around.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2015

2004 pt cruiser - I am on my way home from work and and coming out of the street on to another street I let up on the gas and out nowhere the gas keep going to the engine. I had keep on the brake so I won't hit anybody. I got hit home after so many times shutting it off and on. Do not buy pt cruiser. Can't work on them unless you have the time and tools to. Now I need new brake and hell if I know what it will need for the gas to stop going without me pushing on the pedal. I paid for a computer part for it once that was for putting it in cruise control and halfway home it pop out and then won't take gas. I am having too much problems with this car, not worth the time and money. Yeah it cheap on gas but you putting in more in parts and having someone to fix it then you do it yourself. Do not buy pt cruiser......

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

I have had this car for 1 year. It had 67,000 miles on it when purchased. Now it has 71,000. Last week it started shaking, jumping, the engine light came on and then it died. I had it towed to the dealer because it was under warranty, that covered nothing. I even owe 90.00 on the tow. I am told that maybe a fuse blew in the gas tank and they are replacing the ignition coil. So far we are up to 410.00 and still guessing. Hope I can get it fixed, so I can trade it in. I'm now scared of it. A fuse blowing in the gas tank, might cause an explosion. This vehicle needs to be outlawed.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Company Information