Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
2.23/5
Based on 53 reviews that contain star ratings

Chrysler PT Cruiser

The PT Cruiser is a family vehicle that was discontinued in 2010. Read more Chrysler reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

54 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have had a 2007 PT Cruiser since 2008 (bought a rental that was abused, go figure), and it's needed very little repairs in the ten years I've had it. It's true, you have to keep up on the maintenance. I use reliable shops and the dealer who sold me the car, so they have the history of it. Maintenance is the key with any auto. All will eventually stop if you don't keep up the maintenance. I take mine in to the same two shops, or the dealer, every autumn to make sure I will have no problems over the winter. Sometimes, the shop catches a mistake THEY did, like changing the battery without changing the bad cable. I hold onto my repair receipts so I can keep a history overall of the repairs and replaced parts. Overall, my car is great and should last for many years.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This car has been a delight. It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned. It has never broken down. I've owned it for 6 years and the only thing I've ever done to it is change the oil, replace the battery and bought new tires. It's a convertible so it's particularly fun to drive in warm weather. It's a four cylinder engine but it has plenty of pep when handling the hilly roads in my area. I chose the Chrysler PT Cruiser because I really liked the appearance of the car. It is a silvery lavender color with black convertible top and it has a retro look to both the body and the interior. The top goes up or down very easily, smoothly and with a minimum of noise. It handles nice and it's enjoyable to take on road trips.

The main drawback to the car is that the trunk is ridiculously small. At best, it might hold one small suitcase and a couple of bags of groceries. The trunk does not hold anything with height to it. Items usually have to be laid flat in order to fit. The back passenger area does not provide much leg room. In fact, getting out of the back seat requires a good bit of flexibility.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I love my little car. It is an older model with low miles. I like the style and the way it handles. It is great in the snow and in the inclement weather. I like the four doors and hatchback. The back seats go down to create extra room for hauling if needed. However the car is a gas hog. Even when using high grade gasoline it still eats up gas. I also wish it had power-locks. And it does not have Bluetooth which I miss.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I like that the PT Cruiser 2006 is American made, because it is something I consider an attractive feature when it is affordable to support my countries economy. The car's shape is cute and it is a bright aqua color that caught my eye. I also like the height of the seat as well as the overall look. But it was not a great experience and I had expected problems and too many issues buying a recovered title. The car has had problems locking and had constant problems and even leaking. I'd give it a new engine all together but the system it is built on may be a major flaw on its function. And the car takes a few seconds too long to start up after turning the ignition. It has been more problematic in 3 years than it was worth.

Original review: June 13, 2018

PT Cruiser was crappy and falling apart no matter how good you took care of it. The window switches were in wrong. The CD player didn't work. It was the worst car I have ever owned and I regret spending that kind of money on the car that did not last a year and will look for something better and will do all the work on it to keep it going. I will never purchase that kind of car again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chrysler PT Cruiser?

Original review: June 12, 2018

PT Cruiser is a very great car. Perfect for me not to big not too small. Had a 02 and a 07 previously. I liked the 07 better because of the royal blue color, the updated radio with an aux cord and the very nice leather seats. It is also low cost in gas. It lasts longer. All in all, it is great to cruise around and go on drives.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Three weeks ago I was driving my 2003 PT Cruiser and had just got onto the highway when all of a sudden my car just dies and now won't do anything and batteries won't work once they have been installed into the car. Please help me figure out what the cause of this may be. The car won't even make any noise at all when you turn the key over. No power to anything even after putting new battery in. I do believe the alarm light came on right as it was during as I was getting onto the highway and it died right on a bridge at 9:30-10 pm and I'm a female so I was scared to death.

Original review: May 2, 2018

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever had, I'm still making car payments on it and it has been one problem after another. Already spent well over a thousand dollars to fix different parts and it has to have more work done on it and I have only had this vehicle a year and a month. Wouldn't ever want another Chrysler, now I'm stuck looking for another vehicle so I can give this one back. Not putting money into this vehicle.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This car tries to kill me, literally! It shuts off for no reason at any time even 75mi/hr down interstate. Alarm goes off for no reason all hours. Horn honks for no reason while driving.

Original review: March 19, 2018

If the mechanically non-inclined women says she want a PT Abuser then by all means buy the women a PT Bruiser. Never mind the $1300.00 transmission leak that did not work or the $1200.00 dollar water pump and while we have engine out, replace the timing belt or the rims that according to Chrysler said were very unsafe, or the electrical nightmares or the suspension in rear falling apart, this car is a testament on how much you love the lady you call buster. Oh did I mention it was bought new and drove about twice a month, and maintenance was perfect? Oh well car cost 23k new then about 10k in expenses so I figure if I keep it another 35 yrs it will pay for itself, being the little women is near 70 and me maintaining my 29 yr old body (in my mind) and we continue to not drive it should hopefully not break down.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited. I love my car...absolutely love my car...but it is a piece of junk. As soon as I drove it off the lot, (it was used when I bought it) it needed a battery, alternator, brake lights replaced, thermostat, and a transmission panel. Not even a month later and the car is dead as a doornail in my driveway. Plus there is thick, pink liquid pouring out of the car. I've already put over $1,000 into it within the last month. I am at a loss because I can't (and don't want to) put any more money into it. Please people...save your money and buy something dependable. Yes, the PT Cruiser is a cute car...but it is not worth the headache or the money.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have a 2006 got... this car is nothing but problems after problems... turbo gone bad, running hot, they designed the antifreeze reservoir so close to the ending and it did melt from touching the motor. The instrument cluster keep on and off all the time. You cannot tell any difference from the turbo and the non turbo cruiser in performance, only it sounds different. These kinds of junk is a big waste of money and made me hate all Chrysler brands. Never ever touch Chrysler again. You will never lose with GM.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Great cars. Love the ones I have had. Have had them since 2001 and use them on my mail route perfect. Because things go wrong does not mean they are POS. Me I will bash Ford all the time because I do not like them lol. I own a 2007 PT and yes money gets put into them when we drive them. I replace brakes every 3 months etc. Motor mounts once a month and change the oil. I go through tires and front hubs and other problems but does not bother me because I know the reasons these things happen.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

2 years ago check engine light came on. My son spent $2,000 to get it fixed. Not fixed. Was told it was some problem in the PCM. A few months later, engine light comes on again. Take to another mechanic. Again, thought fixed. No, light comes on again. Took to a third mechanic. Changes the sensors and installs a "used" PCM. Cost, $2,000. Light comes on again 10 months later. PCM bad again. Paid $1,700 for another factory refurbished PCM. Now the engine light does not come on but the left rear window will not work. I love this car, but I obviously got the LEMON. It does not even have 70K miles on it. Fiat/Chrysler should give this old lady of 76 a new car. I certainly cannot buy on social security.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I bought my 2007 Cruiser PCH in March of 2009, when my Ford acquired an electrical gremlin. It was a new car with 30 miles on it. During the test drive the original battery in it failed, no surprise it just sat for 2 years. A replacement battery was put in it. Many reviewers here complain about fuel economy, I cannot. With the 17' rims and a 5 speed I averaged between 30-33 mpg on my long drives to college about an hour each way. I touched 36 mpg twice while on road trips from Ohio to Virginia Beach. I attribute that economy to me driving sensible on flat Ohio land. I have now 167,000 miles and live in the mountains of Virginia. My economy has gotten worse albeit not bad. My last tank I averaged 27.3 MPG.

In the nearly 9 years I have owned my car I have had a few problems. At 33,000 I had a wheel bearing go bad. At 70,000 a caliper stuck. At 120,000 an axle needed replaced. 150,000 a cam position sensor went bad. At 165,000 a window motor stopped. Last week my first light went out, it was a tail light. I change my oil at 7,500 miles using only Mobil 1 extended life (15,000) synthetic oil and a Bosch extended guard filter (10,000). I change my brakes yearly due to people who ride brakes down mountains. I keep up with maintenance. My timing belt and water pump was done at 100,000. My tune-up is done every 3 years. I replace the air filter, plug wires, and use Bosch Platinum plugs.

This little car has gotten me through snow and mud. Once my wife had a labor scare and I made a 1hr 15min drive in 45 minutes when everyone was told to be off the roads due to severe snow. Some reviews on here are made by fools listening to idiots. A fuse in a gas tank... wow... gullible! If you are buying a used car which all Cruisers are now, do your homework on the car being bought. I have 9 years of records in my glove box. Have a good mechanic check it out. If the price is too good to believe, there is a reason. I have loved my car and it has never left me on the side of the road.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

We have 6 PT Cruiser that are use for our installers, we change the oil every 4k miles, replace the transmission fluid every 50k miles and they are all running and getting close to 180k to 200k. No major problems, they are very good small vehicles. Problems, we have replace 4 fans, 2 crankshaft sensors, 4 engine mounts, 1 shifter cables, all these parts in 6 different vehicles they are all 2005 and 2006 models, now we are looking for 6 PT Cruisers 2010 models. If you are looking to buy a used PT Cruiser make sure the timing belt and water pump service was done, we did it before they reach 90k. Cost was $600 per vehicle

Original review: July 8, 2017

I purchased my 2005 PT Cruiser in July 2006. It was the PT Cruiser Limited Edition. Had less than 25,000 miles on it. I drove it happily for a few days shy of 11 years until an elderly man pulled out smack-dab in front of me with his minivan. No matter how hard I tried to stop, he just appeared too rapidly and I slammed right into him. Thankfully, no one was horribly injured - I just have damage to my neck and hips, as I was steeled, with my foot on the brake. My front bumper took most of the impact, which shoved the left fender and side of the car into my door and of course, the front left wheel.

Over the years I owned it, all I really needed to do was regular maintenance, a battery or two change, and tires. It was a wonderful vehicle, and I am really sorry that Chrysler decided to discontinue their manufacture. It was heavy, held LOTS of groceries, was well-designed - (in my opinion), and a joy to drive. I miss it. Looking at another one, tomorrow.

Original review: May 31, 2017

The PT Cruiser is the biggest piece of ** Chrysler decided to stamp their name on before Plymouth made the mistake --- new radiator, sensors, seat belts and sensors, trans and engine for ** sake not to forget all the towing, etc bills -- the only thing done right was that I bought a lifetime warranty so 13k out the door cash for this crap pile on a used car with over 12k in work. If Chrysler really gave as much ** about their consumers who committed caricide financially/Emotionally as they did their 1 bil yearly salaries, maybe we'd actually "get somewhere" driving a car --- I'd love a show of hands of who else would like to see photos of the French or whatever he is CEO of Chrysler now as well as board members that bend over for him of each standing next to their pt cruisers in their driveways... Oops... Forgot. They don't drive Chryslers... Tools.

Original review: April 16, 2017

2006 PT Cruiser Limited - I posted last year as to its positive amenities, and just updating same. Not to beat a dead horse, but maintenance is the key to the performance of any car. It just turned 135,000 miles, and the AC needed repair, as well as radiator, fan, and motor mounts. The cost was $1, 200.00. Yes, that is substantial. However, it equates to 4 car payments, which in the long run, is a bargain. Bottom line, and to reiterate, take care of a car, and you will have happy motoring.

Original review: April 12, 2017

The front bumper (PT Cruiser) is so very low that it hits the concrete blocks at the end of parking stalls. There was a crack on the passenger side of the bumper, there is a crack on the driver's side now. And the passenger side now is coming apart more & the front grill is off center now. Does anyone else have this problem? I get LOUSY gas mileage also! I cannot afford a new car but am afraid the front bumper may just fall off my car while I'm driving if I hit one of those famous huge potholes that we have all over our roads in California.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I have a silver PT Cruiser 2001 limited edition (thank God it's a limited edition). I purchased the car back in 2014 used. All I had with this car is issues. Yea perhaps I did not took the proper care of it, it's my first car. So the issues arise whenever I accelerate the engine too quickly. Engine overheats and leaks everywhere from every place. It's ridiculous people who made the car didn't think twice about how low it was from the ground. The car is so compacted it's too difficult to work on it.

A simple water pump change cost 800 dollars because the car had to be taken apart for their hands to fit in there. If it was another car it would have been less. And the worst thing about this stupid car is the quality. If you fix something, something else breaks. The car isn't worth anything now. I would pay to get rid of it and its horrific memories. If you are thinking about buying a PT Cruiser, don't waste your money. I am sure Chrysler produced the car to make money from the car breaking down and having to get parts replaced. Constant maintenance and cheap to make.

I am glad Chrysler went bankrupt. The people who engineered the car were ** morons. I would have done a better job and I don't even have a degree or know anything about cars, but at least I would produce something that is so cheap and with such poor quality. You know to be honest I didn't even get the chance to explain all the things that went wrong with my car but I definitely won't be able to finish.

You name it...from engine head cracks and extreme lack of power, radiator, hoses, thermostat, water-pump, timing belt, AC compressor, the knob to change the angle of the seat broke off (cheap metal or plastic but it broke like a twig), door locks, electrical wiring in from the doors to the AC ventilation to the knob the flicks on the head lights. Door handles don't open doors. Locks don't lock appropriately. The back door struts, ignition starter, anti-breaking system will activate on its own when driving, had to replace the entire thing...and so much more other **.

Unfortunately the brakes actually work (does not include the ABS) since I did not crash the car. I spent more money on fixing the car than the amount of money I bought it for and what it's worth now combined. Every time I fixed the car I thought this will get the job done, no more issues will occur, but after a month or two no more!! Other issues occurred. I was so naive to think I was going to get anywhere. I had a Moped once before I got the car. I want my Moped back, I made a terrible mistake when I switched. I rather walk or take the bus, it's more reliable.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

2006 PT Cruiser is a great car! I have owned my cruiser since new in 2006. Great car. Been all over the country with it. 120,000 miles and going strong. Just regular maintenance, oil changes and timing belt at 100,000. You people whine and cry because you have to do a timing belt or other repair. Get a life. Any car will need some repairs. Don't like the car then sell it. Seems like half of you aren't smart enough to even own a car.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I've had my PT Cruiser 7 months. In that time, I've replaced the battery twice, the thermostat, the radiator cap, and had the gas leak "repaired" 3 times. The mechanic finally said it's manufacturer issue and that it's common for PT Cruisers and can't be fixed. It is a fire Hazard and Chrysler is well aware of the issue and refuses to do anything about it. I see a class action lawsuit in preparation.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Bought my 2006 PT Cruiser privately in October last year. Took it to mechanic for roadworthy. Mechanic rang me THAT DAY and tried to talk me out of buying it as he said "These cars are terrible and you will need to put aside $70 a week to cover repairs." I thought he was being ridiculous! Well, after paying $2000 for roadworthy, within 3 months I was forking out $1000 for new A/C (right in middle of summer with a young child!). Three months later another $1000 for new fuel pump. Last week clutch cable "snapped" in the middle of major highway with my young daughter in car. Almost had 3 cars run into me until pushed off road by 4 young helpful men! Another $700 to repair clutch cable which apparently just "burst!" Decided this pile of rubbish was not only expensive but dangerous!

In my 25 years of driving and owning cars have never wasted so much money on a car! Actual price of car was $4000 (a "great deal" I thought at the time). Nearly $5000 for repairs including roadworthy in less than 12 months is downright disgraceful and nothing short of just stealing my money. As a single mum this is frankly just despicable. I traded this so called "car" in this week for a reliable Japanese made car. Don't EVER buy a Chrysler PT Cruiser!

Original review: July 15, 2016

Started with a brand new PT in February 2001 ( automatic transmission ) ordered from the factory. In the 15 years and 230,000 miles I have been driving it, it has never let me down. The service costs have been low normal and my experience has been nothing short of fantastic. The car has been all over North America, through tough Canadian winters, overloaded for vacation trips and so on. It has performed well at every turn. I accept that every brand can have a lemon or two, but based on the PTs I see on the road there still a lot of loyal drivers out there that enjoy driving a PT Cruiser. The only beef I have is that Chrysler could have made it more fuel efficient. I will continue to drive my PT for the foreseeable future.

Original review: June 8, 2016

POS. 2003 with only 65,000 miles on the car. I hardly drive it. Why you might ask? Because every time I get in the vehicle I know that trip is going to end up costing me another trip to the auto shop! New battery (twice!), the dock where the battery lays is missing a bolt so the entire battery "shakes, rattles, and rolls"; new A/C everything--every single part, new power steering, the oil leaks, new paint job, and I could go on and on. I am a disabled veteran and have been waiting for my disability award since 2009. I needed a vehicle so my mother "gave" me hers to drive.

I am upset because what seemed like a benevolent thing to do was really a money-pit for me in the end. I will continue to upkeep this car to perfection and cannot WAIT to give her back this POS! Please, if anyone actually reads these reviews. If you are on a tight budget for whatever reason: school, kids, retirement, it doesn't matter. Steer clear of the PT Cruiser! You will end up putting more money into this hunk-o-junk than it is worth. The company and CEO should be accountable for these inferior designs and workmanship.

Original review: May 31, 2016

I just love my Chrysler Cruiser. Great runner really well made engine. And makes me and my partner Maureen feel good. Of course some people have had trouble but this seems to happen to any make of car but on the whole the only money I have spent is what you would spend on any car as in tires servicing brakes etc normal stuff. Can Cruise as well as drive fast. That's why it's called a cruiser because it feels just as good going slow in this car. Love it.

Original review: May 12, 2016

I have been diligently researching and cross-referencing all information I read but I am absolutely offended by the person who pretty much said we have not cared and maintained our vehicles in the manner he has done his, therefore that is why we have problems with ours. ** HIM! You have no idea how I have babied my car as a woman and what I have had to learn before any attempt of repair and I keep coming back to the same issue of the ** oil return line. I CANNOT STAND IGNORANT PEOPLE.

Original review: May 1, 2016

I bought it with 75,000 miles on it. It now has 130,000. I have had regular maintenance + changed the plug/plug wires, the timing belt, serpentine's, flushed and refilled the radiator and transmission, rotate the tires even 7,000.00 miles. I say all of this to counter the complaints on this website about this car. I would suspect that most of those dissatisfied have not performed suggested repairs, etc. In addition, as to the noted rusting transmittals. Look people, just washing a car is not enough to prevent that problem on this or any car. The doors, hatch, hood need to be opened to dry and then a polish or wax applied throughout to keep any car looking good. In closing, I have attached photos as proof positive to these claims.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

I bought this car practically brand new (1 year old & 3000 miles). The fact that it even made it to 90,000 is a testament to my Dad and my other mechanics. What a lemon! Want to burn a quart of oil every week? This is your car! Want to replace the shifting cable right at 37,000 miles. Not a cheap repair (dealer only part of course and would have required a tow if we were crafty about getting it out of the driveway with a screwdriver). I've left the best for last: 2 engine fans plus 2 AC compressors (the fan problem cause the compressor problem) in a period of about 18 months.

At the same time I had a Chrysler minivan with no issues (I've heard I just got really lucky with the Town & Country). I easily put $6000 worth of repairs into this car over less than 4 years. We traded in our 14 year old Subaru for the PT and now we've traded in the PT for another reliable Subaru. I am done with American cars forever. Both Chryslers were also made in Canada. My Subaru is made in Indiana and my VW is made in Kentucky.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Company Information