2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

3.6/5 (181 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Toyota Scion

Scion is a division of Toyota that was shut down in 2016. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Toyota Scion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Scion?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Scion?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I bought a brand new Scion xD in 2008. I was told this car was a Toyota made in Japan by Toyota under the Scion name (which has now been absorbed into Toyota itself) which was just a lower-priced line and was Toyota quality. My family owned Toyotas forever often keeping them 200k. I bought the Scion and quickly found out it was a crappy car nowhere near Toyota quality. The first thing that happened is that the tires wore out very quickly. When I went to get new ones I was told they were non-standard tires and cost a fortune. I serviced it at the dealer until the warranty ran out then took it to two reliable repair shops who both told me the same thing. The car has non-standard parts in it like very expensive spark plugs and that the way things are positioned oddly under the hood such that takes much longer to repair (equates to longer time to fix and higher labor costs).

I was fortunate not to have massive engine issues some reported but overall the car was of crappy quality and required many expensive repairs including replacing cylinder heads and alternators more than once. The last straw for me was having alternator issues while trying to evacuate for a recent hurricane. The next week I went started car shopping. This time I kept in mind that the "deal" I thought I was getting on the Scion is exactly what people mean when they say you get what you pay for!! The best part was that I was still considering a new Toyota when I noticed the regular lines like Corolla are now incorporating the crappy defunct Scions!! I can't imagine Toyota rebuilt the iM to incorporate Corolla parts once they decided to absorb it into the Corolla line even though unsuspecting buyers will think they are getting Corolla quality!!!

I highly recommend you don't buy anything related to the Scion line. I was working with a Toyota dealer who had the nerve to tell me this are quality Toyotas when I was trying to trade in a 2008 with only 73k miles on it because I just can't rely on it anymore. Needless to say, I now own a brand new Honda. The xD was a huge disappointment all the way around. Please do thorough research before buying the "new" Toyota models to make sure you're getting something that doesn't have these issues so you don't get screwed over like I did!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I have a 2012 Scion IQ and the paint is peeling off in sheets. This is happening on the roof mind you, so I can't even be blamed for cause the problem by hitting something. Toyota's response was to tell me paint is only warranted for 3 years or 36,000 miles so they aren't responsible. Obviously customer service isn't one of their top priorities.

Original review: April 20, 2017

A few months later I go on the weekend driving at normal speed on the highway (about 45 to 50 mph) and I notice that the check engine light comes out again. Generating another visit to the service building that was last Monday (4/17/2017 and today is Thursday (4/20/2017) and they still do not call me to tell me what happens with my vehicle and when I call services they tell me that person who is working with a vehicle is not and the manager cannot talk to me because he is with another client (of course he is with another client). They are doing very bad business. I just need someone to help me with this situation as this vehicle was financed and I have very high payments. Thank you and do not do business with Fordham Toyota / Scion Dealer which is 236 West Fordham Rd, Bronx, NY 10468.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Solid steering column, quick 4 cylinder with Turbo, haven't had any mechanical issues in 75k miles. I bought my 2011 Scion Tc used with 40k miles on it 2 years ago. I've driven it coast to coast across the US with no mechanical issues. I drove a v6 5speed VW before and was nervous about dropping down to a 4-cylinder, but this thing is surprisingly quick. Steering and control are very tight, just an overall well-made car.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Hello group. I up until Dec 03, 2016 owned a 2006 Toyota scion t/c which I loved very much and took very good care of. I am now in the process of screening attorneys and contacting my insurance company because my driver's side airbag deployed in my face right after accelerating from a cold start from leaving work. I got in, started my car and realized my gas light was on and my airbag light flashed which never happened before. I turned my wheel and put my car into drive and accelerated and that's the last thing I remember before someone beeping their horn asking if I was ok. The pictures and video below are proof that this really happened. I was briefly knocked out and was told I accelerated into a light post. If you own a Scion there is a recall on side airbags for this problem but not driver or passenger. I advise you call Toyota today and make an appointment.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

2010 Scion XB - My experience with Hickory Toyota was very good. At first the financing went pretty smooth all the way. Had to be called back in order to finish my financing but I have been very satisfied overall. In the 2nd month, after I've had the car ranging from 2012 to now 2016 I have put 15 sets of brakes on the car back and front here. Lately I have had the rotors turned 28th another set of brakes. I'm still not satisfied with the overall appearance of the way it stops. My car stalled on me. Sept 2016 I had to put a battery in it which I had already put a battery in it a year ago from Toyota.

October my car stalled on me at the red light. I made it to my workplace and the car completely cut off. I called Toyota. They were very nice and send out a wrecker which cost me a lot of money to have the car towed for them to fix it. It was my alternator which cost me a total of $764 minus $100 that my insurance paid on the towing bill. My car still is not in Tip-Top shape but I could really understand because it does have over 200,000 miles on it. This is really getting on my nerves because of the way my car still is wanting to cut off at stops or when I come to a red light or stop sign.

I am very very confused with this. I just wonder what's going on with my Scion XB. Is it the mileage on it or do I just need to try to it something else. I've had a bad experience with this car and it seems to be getting worse and worser. Oh yes after I picked up my car from Toyota replacing the alternator, my car sound awful and sound like it was going to cut off. I told them about it, they looked at it again and said it should smooth out on its own. Well it has not. Thank you so much for listening.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

My kin folks were following me while I was driving on the highway and when we got to where we were going, I was informed that sheets of paint were flying off my almost new truck and hitting his windshield! I called Scion and was told that my 3 yr. 36 thousand mile warranty had expired. If nothing else it should be a violation of hazardous materials all over the roadways! They should not sell new cars that they forget to prime. The whole truck needs repainted!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

I have had my Release Series 1.0 Scion xD now for 8 years and will turn over 100,000 miles this week. So far she has performed flawless. My only repairs have been a timing port gasket because of weeping and new headlights because of the typical fogging. New tires and oil (synthetic) as regular maintenance is all she has needed. I would give her a 5 star review however the clear coat is failing now, and Toyota will do nothing for me... not halfway, end of discussion. After being a loyal supporter and purchasing a number of their vehicles since 1985 I feel I have been crapped on. They will force me to go to another manufacturer. Whatever.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

I bought my 05 Scion - in 2009. So relatively new- I wanted a Scion for a long time. So to my excitement I finally owned one. Now I am pretty car savvy. I can diagnose and hear what the issues are as far as ticking, grinding etc. For the first 6 years all was great. Then... the first thing that happened was - my interior passenger side window mechanism, broke - falling completely off of whatever pulley system was in place to allow the button to be pushed, no big deal.

The only issue I had after driving it off the lot at 4 years old was a very faint whirring noise in the back end... It would get louder with higher speeds. Ok had that looked at - I was told it was because my tires were cupped. THEY WEREN'T. I was told it was because they were low-pro and just sounded that way due to the level of the tire to rim ratio or whatever the hell someone tried telling me... That WAS NOT IT EITHER. Ok fast forward... The noise has been present since day one...

Then, my hatch started malfunctioning, sticking, and jamming. I would have to double click the lock manually from the inside of the car twice - before it would unlock the back hatch, and it still would stick. Eventually the weight of the hatch, bearing on that small plastic cover over the back of the hatch lift, broke - completely in half and dangled. I ordered a new one online to replace. 35 bucks, installed myself. I have never had any oil or engine problems, fluids leaking or what have you - I just hit 200k and still have an engine that feels like it is brand new. No sputtering, nothing. Quiet and smooth.

Then, the tires. Oh the joy of low profile sport performance, STUPID expensive to replace, and stupid in the winter. Winter tires. HAHAHA. Yeah 800 dollars later. Forget that **. The brake pads are comparable to the thickness of a pack of gum. I have done my brakes probably - 25 times in 8 years. I am not kidding you. The hub assemblies. I have the back left and right both replaced numerous times. The back right 6 times, and the back left 2x. Now both my fronts are ** - apparently when it's been looked at by numerous mechanics, whoever pressed the bearings into the hub assemblies prior to my owning - I hope... but used the bearings after they stripped it. So it caused some major stress and damage to the hub assemblies... warping them, and causing me to have to replace my hubs, on all 4 tires now - going on 12 times.

I have never had such a ** experience with parts, not lasting as this car has done. It pisses me off because the engine is great. BUT Scion makes things difficult when you cannot just replace the bearings, you have to replace the entire hub because of the way it is built. The hubs - which have warped numerous times, which come to find out - WAS THE ISSUE CAUSING THE UNGODLY CONSTANT-OBNOXIOUS whirring noise for the entire duration of owning the car.

I have not been happy with the quality of the parts as far as the tires/hubs/bearings. I feel like they were poorly set up being the first gen of the Scion tC. However I do love the car and I have an emotional attachment - BUT - this problem no matter how many times I fix and replace the hubs keep warping. And I am seriously sick of paying 90 plus a hub assembly - only to get 4-6 months of drive out of it before another one warps on a different side.

Overall the assembly of the car and its drive system is **. A lot of the car interior, like the floor boards that have come apart - carpet has peeled up - the cd player stopped working- the lights have malfunctioned, the locks and window buttons have broken, and to top it all off... the sunroof- sticks when trying to close. And when it gets to the point in closing where it is about to retract down and seal, it backfires and re-opens itself all of the way. I literally have to stick my hand out the window - press it down and guide it over the track and allow it to seal...

Oh and the weather stripping - it's discolored, and the front strip on the wind shield that disconnected on the free way while I was going about 75 and it was smacking my Sun roof causing me to almost crash out of being startled. So, no. This car is great to look at - and maybe whip around in - but it's not economical as far as quality and performance.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Since I buying this car (October 2015) in Puente Hills Toyota, 17070 Gale Avenue, City Industry, CA. When I using the navigation system (GPS) using radio or not THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM'S VOLUME IS LOW AND CAN BARELY HEAR THE VOICE. I went today August 18, 2016 to Puente Hills Toyota and they only update but they not fixed, I can't use my navigation system because is unsafe to see the screen only when I am driving.

Toyota Scion Company Information