Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.64/5

Toyota Highlander

The Toyota Highlander is a mid-size crossover SUV. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

101 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

TOYOTA. We purchased a fully loaded 2014 Highlander because of we loved Toyota and liked the safety ratings and quality (so we thought). Within a year our power liftgate began not opening or closing at times. We have taken it to the dealership and other certified body shops and no-one can seem to pinpoint the issue and we have now spent a lot of money trying to get this to work. As a mom of two young children not being able to use the power liftgate leaves the back of our vehicle USELESS! If I wanted a small vehicle I would not have sent the money on a vehicle to offer a third row/cargo area. What gets me is that the 2012/2013 model is recalled for this same issue and Toyota will not step in to fix our problem. I am frustrated because we take it in and it's $$$ to diagnose the issue. They reset the computer and it works for a few times up and down and then starts to malfunction AGAIN.

We take it back and the cycle begins again and no-one thinks it odd that we have this problem so often and when we look it up we are NOT the only ones who have had issues with this. The cost to diagnose is $100 a time, the sensors will cost over $2000 to replace for it to MAYBE work. We took it in before our warranty expired and no one could figure it out and now that we are willing to pay for it still no-one is helping us. Oh did I mention it is not closing all the way so the seal is not sealing and has now buckled the body of the vehicle due to the weight and pressure from the power lift components??? If you are looking for a family vehicle avoid a POWER LIFTGATE and purchasing from TOYOTA because we have been to multiple dealerships as we have relocated for work a few times. One very dissatisfied customer.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I bought a brand new hybrid Highlander 2019 less than 5 months ago and the check engine came on 4 times already. First time when the car only had 2351 miles. I brought my car to Roseville Toyota, they reset the computer then less than a week, the check engine light came on again, brought the car back to the dealer and had to wait for 2 weeks before the parts shipped to the dealer. Then the part came, it was fuel sensor, got it replaced then 2 weeks later, the light came on again. The dealer had to replace the fuel pump, then fuel line... now it seems to be okay. I tried to contact Toyota headquarters, the manager said Toyota couldn’t do anything to compensate for my time off to get my car fix. So, to everyone who plans to buy a hybrid Toyota, think twice before buying it or find others brand instead.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I am unable to find the warranty on the tire. When you go to the site they say they will replace if unusual wear but there is not warranty period listed. When I try to contact them online... the site takes you to site to fill in and I filled in several times...then the site takes you to the captcha box of I am not a robot and then gets stuck.

I need the warranty....period for my tires that I have had since I bought the Highlander new in October. They are saying the tires are wearing low and I should think about replacing them. I just bought a new Highlander and now this. Also your site....When I type in Toyo Tires it said Sorry Company Not Found and would not let me go further so I put in Toyota.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Not a bad vehicle by any means. Even with its shortcomings, it's better than the competition. With that said, what kind of 4 wheel drive vehicle does not have a front recovery hook? Even my Prius has one. Toyota customer service (?) is clueless on how to answer this question and simply provides nonsensical answers. Is the front end too weak to support towing? Oops, kind of worried now. Hey Toyota, time to come clean on this mistake.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I have a Toyota Highlander 2018 limited, an expensive vehicle. Over the weekend my wife got a thin bed sheet she was using to protect the floor area. The rear hatch would not work. We took it to Toyota and they said we have to completely replace the system to the tune of 800.00. This is crazy. There is not a fusible link or something-it's a design flaw at best. Toyota should own up to this and reimburse the owners. My dealer said this is not uncommon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Highlander?

Original review: March 13, 2019

My 2016 Toyota Highlander Limited's voice recognition and navigation system are practically useless. Will ask to find a location and it will start trying to call someone. I have retrained it multiple times with no affect. The navigation system will never take the best way. I have had it want to take me 10 miles out of the way when I am a block away from my destination. If either of these are a selling point for you, don't get roped in.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My Highlander has electric problem going on in front dash where the temperature is speed. It flashes 100 miles hour and just other day I went turn car on, it lit up engine light and warning light. It wouldn’t even shift to Reverse so I finally shut it down, wait about 10 minutes. It finally started and no lights going off so I drove it to Toyota where we bought it. His words was, "Well I wouldn’t know how write up to mechanic," Really! This wasn’t cheap car. (It is limited.) Not happy with how I am being treated. Is there anyone out there having same problems?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

The collision prevention feature included in the package I've paid for, simply just does NOT work. Drivers are at high risk of car accident it if they turn on this feature and rely on it. I have complained to Toyota USA about this issue, but they have been ignoring my complaint. I visited Puente Hills Toyota Dealer in California. They ran an "electronic test" on my car and told me everything in the car was fine. They may be correct that my car was built mechanically and electronically to the design, but the collision prevention feature which I've paid for did NOT and never do the job it was supposed to. It is a DESIGN FAILURE! I asked Toyota to send someone to test drive the car with me to verify my complaint. They refused to do so. I am considering suing Toyota.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

In the 23 months I had my 2017 Highlander the car did not start at all. Just recently I was waiting for 10 minutes at the airport. Did not start again. The airport police had to call a tow truck. My dealership blames all on me and did not even want to take the car in. It is a clear lemon. I called the arbitration company who never calls back, now I took an attorney. Toyota cars I never will buy again. Will go back to Mercedes.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I bought a new vehicle 2015 in Jan 2015. Till now I have done following repairs. I have driven only 44k mile and car has not been any accident and has been all regular maintenance and oil change. Work done is engine brake, brake pad both front and back, front glass repair 2 times, all 4 tires. Till now spent 4500 USD, please don’t buy this vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchase my Highlander two month ago, it have multiple problems that drives me crazy. 1) The very first day I get the car, there is a loose screw sound behind the dashboard, very annoying, after going down a big slop, the screw seems stuck somewhere, the sound goes away, what a poor quality car! 2) There is something wrong this the rear suspension. Whenever I go over the bumpy area, the rear suspension make metal click or vibration sound, went to the dealer to check twice, the dealer call it "NORMAL"! 3) I have the same problem as one of our reviewer here, there is a pop out in the middle of the dashboard, find it the first day I have mine vehicle, it is annoying, but compare to the second problem it is nothing! 4) Very poor internal material. The gear shift panel is made of very cheap plastic, I clean it with microfiber carefully, it is scratched! What a shame! Final advise: maybe buy cheap cars from Toyota, definitely avoid by luxury car from them!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Dash has a humped up area on top of dash just to the left of clock. Service manager at dealership agrees it's a problem and had Toyota rep inspect. He noted issue, took pics and agreed a problem. Shortly thereafter I was told by Toyota, "Others have same issue so you're SOL." Filed Atty General complaint, Toyota offered a dash because they said I had been a long term customer (30 years) but would not guarantee it would be defect free and I was responsible for install and I had 60 days to accept. I contacted dealership, was told they would install if Toyota would agree. I told SM to get back to me after he heard from Toyota. Did not receive a reply. 60 days went by and I contacted AG and explained.

They reopened dispute but now Toyota refuses to do anything. Will be selling. Was told by dealership after purchase they won't wear Toyota name on shirts or other apparel because how bad Toyota is at customer service and quality. Our last Toyota. Quality and service is no longer a trademark for this once proud brand. Encourage all to avoid. Also considering class action suit for other owners with same issue. Contact Toyota ASAP if you have same issue.

Original review: July 14, 2018

My 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited busted a valve spring at 75473 miles (I think it's still at the dealership). My extended warranty only covered 75000. I have found evidence of faulty valve springs in other 2015 Highlanders. Toyota has agreed to pay $1500 of the $4646 to fix my Highlander. I feel this should be a recall situation. I have voiced my opinion to them, and on social media. I think they should fix my vehicle a hundred percent paid.

Here's someone's account when I asked about further problem with his Highlander. It happened 3 weeks after he purchased it. The same thing happened to me 3 years after I purchased my Highlander. I was sent this message by someone that had the exact same problem I had. I feel only paying a portion of this bill was not in Toyota's best interest. Please contact me regarding this matter. This is the message that was sent:

"Hi, fortunately has been smooth sailing mechanically since that spring. I looked into it a bit, apparently there were some springs made and the hardening was not done correctly. Toyota knew about this but the bad springs were mixed in with the good and the parts were not possible to track. If you got one of the bad springs I believe it would be highly unlikely you would have another. I'm also surprised Toyota is making you foot the bill for the failure as this is a known issue. I'd suggest escalating your case out of dealership directly to the manufacturer."

Original review: June 21, 2018

I absolutely love my Toyota Highlander. My Toyota has been the single most reliable, amazing and newest vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I can go places most trucks can't, and I love that it's sporty, rugged, and soccer mom all in one. However, my car definitely gets awful gas mileage. I hate that it costs me $20 to get to work and back for 2 days. I also don't like that there isn't a way to hook my phone or iPod up to my car's sound system. Nevertheless, I love the sunroof, the fact that it has 8 cupholders, the four wheel drive, and the overall space in it. I love the 3rd row of seats as it comes in handy when I have my nieces over or my daughter has a sleepover and the seats can be hidden by pushing them into the floor.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The 2013 Toyota Highlander is all wheel drive which is great and it also has a power trunk that is nice because it goes down with just a quick touch of a button. It's black inside and in good shape all in all. It has a great Bluetooth system, it has leather seats, it has power seats, it has nice captain seats, it has seven passenger seats. It is a nice vehicle and feels safe. But I don't like the mileage.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We love our Highlander because it is well made, good looking and very reliable. Our Highlander seats seven people. It is comfortable and the styling still looks good after eight years. While the ratings and residual value are excellent and we have enjoyed owning the vehicle, I wish our Toyota Highlander has been less expensive and had more features that we wanted at the price we paid. The new ones have all that we want but they have gotten much too expensive.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I chose this vehicle because of its reputation for quality vehicles that will last me a long time. It is a very trustworthy brand that will give me miles and miles of enjoyment. I also feel that should I have any problems Toyota will stand behind their workmanship. I can count on the Toyota Highlander to provide me with a smooth, comfortable ride. I like the durability of the vehicle and the confidence that it will give me the best safety components. Overall, I find the Toyota Highlander to be the most perfect vehicle and would hate to see it tampered with.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've had a good experience, I like that it's an SUV and the car runs well with no issues, minimal repairs to the vehicle so far, decent gas mileage and plenty of room for my children and all of the baby gear. It has a 3rd row seat, large enough for car seats, and I like the style and the color. It's easy to drive and handles well. But I wish it had more upgrades. I would like a back up camera, a sunroof and heated seats for example. A DVD player in the backseat for the kids would be great too. But other than that, my children and passengers are always comfortable in this vehicle.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love the Highlander's generous indoor space, it's versatility and dependability. I like the dashboard and console storage as well as the color and shape of car. It's got great audio and comfortable seating for 20 hour drives! Though extra lumbar support and a little bit more room in the 3rd seat would be nice. I also wish it came with cargo nets and a roll down rear window. Those would be huge plus. The car mats are awesome too but they curl in exposing the floors. Floors are not carpet or easy to clean surface. I would prefer easy to wash floors.

Original review: June 12, 2018

2013 Toyota Highlander - The model has been great, extremely helpful with the 3rd row feature. I also have enjoyed the USB outlet in the dash and the extra outlet in the third row. I love the gas mileage. Plenty of cup holders too. The ability to have captains chairs with arm rests or a full bench seat is great too. But the doors are very light. I wish it was a heavier car. I also wish I had heated seats over the back up camera.

Original review: May 16, 2018

While I like many things about our new 2018 Toyota Highlander, the recent reports of death by CO2 are troubling. When I first read of this happening, I thought, "people are stupid. How can they forget to turn off the car? Then leave it running in the garage, filling the home with CO2." Then after my nephew drove it back to our home while we went camping, we found it running in the garage upon our return 24 hours later. He's no dummy, college educated and in his 30's. It was just his first experience with a FOB key on a Highlander. This is a design flaw. Luckily, no one was home and except for airing out the house, washing windows, and losing a quarter tank of gas, nothing serious happened. How many lives will it take to have them correct this?

Original review: May 9, 2018

I wouldn't trade my 2006 Toyota Highlander in for any of the newer model, mine can haul a 7ft. grandfather clock and comfortable and I have tires for life through dealership and only has 86,000 miles. It wouldn't have that if I didn't have to go to Jacksonville, FL for 8 years. It's not got all the computer equipment the new ones do and it's mine.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The Toyota Highlander is a good all around car. It is not great at any one thing but is the best in its class of mid-price large SUVs. It is comfortable, has plenty of power and safety features, and modern amenities. Gas mileage is so so as is handling but understand it's better than other vehicles in its class. It is fairly attractive and has a large moonroof although the roof doesn't open but halfway so ventilation in the far back is not the best. It seems durable and well designed.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We bought a Certified Pre-owned Highlander with very low mileage in 2016. The car had 12,000 miles on it and now has about 42,000. We also purchased an extended warranty. The car basically overheated while my daughter was driving, she pulled off the highway and tried re-starting later to move to a safer spot and the car wouldn’t start up again. When we took it in to the dealership they said the water pump malfunctioned, causing the car to overheat, then the engine seized, basically killing the engine. It has no indicator on it. All she would have seen would have been steam and maybe heard a funny noise. She pulled over as soon as she noticed anything. Toyota wants us to pay $3500 to take the engine apart to determine if there was “driver error” before they will replace the engine.

That is pretty arbitrary. They can say driver error, we are out $3500 bucks AND we have to buy a new engine. Oh and the price of a No Good warranty. Oh and the price of a No Good Car! What is the warranty for? Why buy a CERTIFIED pre-owned vehicle in the first place? When I wanted to buy used, my husband would only look at Toyota’s because of the reputation with us. I will NEVER purchase another Toyota again. I know a lot of people. I’m a professor at a college, my husband is a business owner. We will tell EVERYONE we know our experience with Toyota’s service and warranty. That $3500 pull the engine apart fee? That is a scam worthy of the slimiest, fly by night internet business...not a company that has long standing here in the US. They had better re-think that strategy. So, long Toyota. Never again.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Toyota Highlander - Outstanding durability and very solid SUV. Already have a hundred and twenty thousand miles on a 2013 limited. No significant issues with it at all. I got a good deal on mine but generally they are overpriced. And do not like the first generation Etune.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Love the 2017 Toyota Highlander. But be very careful when you finance the car or possibly just buy it. They ask you to sign, BUT on a electronic signature. Like a dummy I did. When I got the Hard Copy I got almost $1,000.00 in charges I never agreed to and wasn't on my original sales receipt. I was able to get most of it back only after complaining directly to Toyota's Regional main office. Never sign electronically.

Original review: April 28, 2018

We have driven Toyotas for 12 years. We have always had the best service and reliability with each one. We had a Camry, Avalon, and Highlander. I prefer the Highlander since it has the 3rd seat and we have 6 grandchildren. It is durable, classy and dependable. I’ve never had an issue with these vehicles! I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I've driven this Highlander 2004 since 2004 and it's been great, has served my purpose, low maintenance. Great for carrying people, groceries and other shopping. Handles well, keeps me high enough to see around other cars on the freeway.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Purchased 2018 SE Highlander. I have had Toyotas in the past and then went to Hondas for almost 16 years. Never an issue. The SE I just purchase that now has almost 2,000 miles on it has seats that look like they either have too much material or not enough padding. Even my friends ask me what is wrong with my seats. I took it to my dealer, Toyota of Louisville, and it was sent to an upholstery shop that they use. I was contacted and told they put more padding in where they could but many places couldn't be remedied as it "was just the characteristics of the seats." Now, this is not one of my seats, but 3 of them. The seats still look like they are missing padding. One seat was laid down for extra space when needed and it still has the indention in it from where it laid on the seat belt holder for less than 2 hours.

I was provided a loaner while this was being done and it was a 2017 Highlander XLE from Enterprise. The seats in this car looked much worse than mine but it had almost 10,000 miles on it. I took pictures of that car and mine and submitted to Toyota.com. I was contacted and basically told they understood my concern but unless they received enough complaints, they couldn't really do anything about it. I stressed that an almost $40,000.00 vehicle should not have this issue but of course this person, who was very polite, was just the front runner to speak to and appease someone like myself to basically say they received my complaint, nothing will be done about it and was told that the problem won't be addressed or corrected unless they receive a large number of complaints and then it would be taken to a board for review.

My dealer's service department even told me that they couldn't put too much padding in the seats as it could affect the airbags. I should have gone with the Honda Pilot or Acura and will be trading my vehicle soon and will never, never, go back to Toyota. It is an obvious manufacturing defect but to Toyota, one person's voice is not heard as proven by my token response from Toyota. This problem could be easily corrected to meet the standards that this vehicle should have met before it was cleared to leave the factory line. Poor quality and honestly this shocks me from Toyota but guessing it is a sign of the times. I wonder if Consumer Reports would address this. I attached 2 pictures... The light blue/grey seat was of the rental 2017 XLE, the dark seat is just one of my 2018 SE Highlander.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have owned many Toyota trucks and SUV's. I traded my Tundra in on a 2015 Highlander which I purchased in 2014. Drove for two years and loved it. No issues. I was up around 40k miles and my sales guy called and offered me a deal to trade it in and purchase a 2016 with 0% interest. I thought it was a good deal. I never make decisions on the spot but was a great deal so why not. I am one that takes very good care of my vehicles. I soon washed it and after lowering the driver side window down and then back up noticed the front third of the window was saturated. Like someone ran over it with a sponge. I immediately called the dealership and they replaced the felt but nothing changed. They also made sure the holes in the door were not plugged for drainage.

Dealership then called Toyota and they said they have not heard of the issue so there is no fix. I then called Toyota directly to which I ended up setting an appointment with the district engineer at my local dealership. Let me back up and say this never happened on any of my previous Toyotas or the 2015 Highlander. No other windows on this vehicle have an issue. I have friends that own 2016 and newer Highlanders and they don't have a problem. I was told by the district engineer that my issue is normal. We went around and around for 30 minutes before I gave up furious.

How could this be normal??? If it sits in the garage for days it will still be wet. I called Toyota back asking what were my options next and basically was told the engineer's answer was the final say. I am beyond disappointed in the lack of customer service from Toyota as I purchased Toyotas thinking they make solid products and stand behind them. Well the illusion is gone. I am so disappointed as I do like the Highlander but I am not happy living with the wet window every time I roll it down and up after washing it or it rains. Wish I could afford to get a new vehicle.

Toyota Highlander Company Information