Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
2.01/5
Based on 85 reviews that contain star ratings

Toyota Highlander

The Toyota Highlander is a mid-size crossover SUV. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

92 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I bought a new vehicle 2015 in Jan 2015. Till now I have done following repairs. I have driven only 44k mile and car has not been any accident and has been all regular maintenance and oil change. Work done is engine brake, brake pad both front and back, front glass repair 2 times, all 4 tires. Till now spent 4500 USD, please don’t buy this vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchase my Highlander two month ago, it have multiple problems that drives me crazy. 1) The very first day I get the car, there is a loose screw sound behind the dashboard, very annoying, after going down a big slop, the screw seems stuck somewhere, the sound goes away, what a poor quality car! 2) There is something wrong this the rear suspension. Whenever I go over the bumpy area, the rear suspension make metal click or vibration sound, went to the dealer to check twice, the dealer call it "NORMAL"! 3) I have the same problem as one of our reviewer here, there is a pop out in the middle of the dashboard, find it the first day I have mine vehicle, it is annoying, but compare to the second problem it is nothing! 4) Very poor internal material. The gear shift panel is made of very cheap plastic, I clean it with microfiber carefully, it is scratched! What a shame! Final advise: maybe buy cheap cars from Toyota, definitely avoid by luxury car from them!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Dash has a humped up area on top of dash just to the left of clock. Service manager at dealership agrees it's a problem and had Toyota rep inspect. He noted issue, took pics and agreed a problem. Shortly thereafter I was told by Toyota, "Others have same issue so you're SOL." Filed Atty General complaint, Toyota offered a dash because they said I had been a long term customer (30 years) but would not guarantee it would be defect free and I was responsible for install and I had 60 days to accept. I contacted dealership, was told they would install if Toyota would agree. I told SM to get back to me after he heard from Toyota. Did not receive a reply. 60 days went by and I contacted AG and explained.

They reopened dispute but now Toyota refuses to do anything. Will be selling. Was told by dealership after purchase they won't wear Toyota name on shirts or other apparel because how bad Toyota is at customer service and quality. Our last Toyota. Quality and service is no longer a trademark for this once proud brand. Encourage all to avoid. Also considering class action suit for other owners with same issue. Contact Toyota ASAP if you have same issue.

Original review: July 14, 2018

My 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited busted a valve spring at 75473 miles (I think it's still at the dealership). My extended warranty only covered 75000. I have found evidence of faulty valve springs in other 2015 Highlanders. Toyota has agreed to pay $1500 of the $4646 to fix my Highlander. I feel this should be a recall situation. I have voiced my opinion to them, and on social media. I think they should fix my vehicle a hundred percent paid.

Here's someone's account when I asked about further problem with his Highlander. It happened 3 weeks after he purchased it. The same thing happened to me 3 years after I purchased my Highlander. I was sent this message by someone that had the exact same problem I had. I feel only paying a portion of this bill was not in Toyota's best interest. Please contact me regarding this matter. This is the message that was sent:

"Hi, fortunately has been smooth sailing mechanically since that spring. I looked into it a bit, apparently there were some springs made and the hardening was not done correctly. Toyota knew about this but the bad springs were mixed in with the good and the parts were not possible to track. If you got one of the bad springs I believe it would be highly unlikely you would have another. I'm also surprised Toyota is making you foot the bill for the failure as this is a known issue. I'd suggest escalating your case out of dealership directly to the manufacturer."

Original review: June 21, 2018

I absolutely love my Toyota Highlander. My Toyota has been the single most reliable, amazing and newest vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I can go places most trucks can't, and I love that it's sporty, rugged, and soccer mom all in one. However, my car definitely gets awful gas mileage. I hate that it costs me $20 to get to work and back for 2 days. I also don't like that there isn't a way to hook my phone or iPod up to my car's sound system. Nevertheless, I love the sunroof, the fact that it has 8 cupholders, the four wheel drive, and the overall space in it. I love the 3rd row of seats as it comes in handy when I have my nieces over or my daughter has a sleepover and the seats can be hidden by pushing them into the floor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Highlander?

Original review: June 17, 2018

The 2013 Toyota Highlander is all wheel drive which is great and it also has a power trunk that is nice because it goes down with just a quick touch of a button. It's black inside and in good shape all in all. It has a great Bluetooth system, it has leather seats, it has power seats, it has nice captain seats, it has seven passenger seats. It is a nice vehicle and feels safe. But I don't like the mileage.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We love our Highlander because it is well made, good looking and very reliable. Our Highlander seats seven people. It is comfortable and the styling still looks good after eight years. While the ratings and residual value are excellent and we have enjoyed owning the vehicle, I wish our Toyota Highlander has been less expensive and had more features that we wanted at the price we paid. The new ones have all that we want but they have gotten much too expensive.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I chose this vehicle because of its reputation for quality vehicles that will last me a long time. It is a very trustworthy brand that will give me miles and miles of enjoyment. I also feel that should I have any problems Toyota will stand behind their workmanship. I can count on the Toyota Highlander to provide me with a smooth, comfortable ride. I like the durability of the vehicle and the confidence that it will give me the best safety components. Overall, I find the Toyota Highlander to be the most perfect vehicle and would hate to see it tampered with.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've had a good experience, I like that it's an SUV and the car runs well with no issues, minimal repairs to the vehicle so far, decent gas mileage and plenty of room for my children and all of the baby gear. It has a 3rd row seat, large enough for car seats, and I like the style and the color. It's easy to drive and handles well. But I wish it had more upgrades. I would like a back up camera, a sunroof and heated seats for example. A DVD player in the backseat for the kids would be great too. But other than that, my children and passengers are always comfortable in this vehicle.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love the Highlander's generous indoor space, it's versatility and dependability. I like the dashboard and console storage as well as the color and shape of car. It's got great audio and comfortable seating for 20 hour drives! Though extra lumbar support and a little bit more room in the 3rd seat would be nice. I also wish it came with cargo nets and a roll down rear window. Those would be huge plus. The car mats are awesome too but they curl in exposing the floors. Floors are not carpet or easy to clean surface. I would prefer easy to wash floors.

Original review: June 12, 2018

2013 Toyota Highlander - The model has been great, extremely helpful with the 3rd row feature. I also have enjoyed the USB outlet in the dash and the extra outlet in the third row. I love the gas mileage. Plenty of cup holders too. The ability to have captains chairs with arm rests or a full bench seat is great too. But the doors are very light. I wish it was a heavier car. I also wish I had heated seats over the back up camera.

Original review: May 16, 2018

While I like many things about our new 2018 Toyota Highlander, the recent reports of death by CO2 are troubling. When I first read of this happening, I thought, "people are stupid. How can they forget to turn off the car? Then leave it running in the garage, filling the home with CO2." Then after my nephew drove it back to our home while we went camping, we found it running in the garage upon our return 24 hours later. He's no dummy, college educated and in his 30's. It was just his first experience with a FOB key on a Highlander. This is a design flaw. Luckily, no one was home and except for airing out the house, washing windows, and losing a quarter tank of gas, nothing serious happened. How many lives will it take to have them correct this?

Original review: May 9, 2018

I wouldn't trade my 2006 Toyota Highlander in for any of the newer model, mine can haul a 7ft. grandfather clock and comfortable and I have tires for life through dealership and only has 86,000 miles. It wouldn't have that if I didn't have to go to Jacksonville, FL for 8 years. It's not got all the computer equipment the new ones do and it's mine.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The Toyota Highlander is a good all around car. It is not great at any one thing but is the best in its class of mid-price large SUVs. It is comfortable, has plenty of power and safety features, and modern amenities. Gas mileage is so so as is handling but understand it's better than other vehicles in its class. It is fairly attractive and has a large moonroof although the roof doesn't open but halfway so ventilation in the far back is not the best. It seems durable and well designed.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We bought a Certified Pre-owned Highlander with very low mileage in 2016. The car had 12,000 miles on it and now has about 42,000. We also purchased an extended warranty. The car basically overheated while my daughter was driving, she pulled off the highway and tried re-starting later to move to a safer spot and the car wouldn’t start up again. When we took it in to the dealership they said the water pump malfunctioned, causing the car to overheat, then the engine seized, basically killing the engine. It has no indicator on it. All she would have seen would have been steam and maybe heard a funny noise. She pulled over as soon as she noticed anything. Toyota wants us to pay $3500 to take the engine apart to determine if there was “driver error” before they will replace the engine.

That is pretty arbitrary. They can say driver error, we are out $3500 bucks AND we have to buy a new engine. Oh and the price of a No Good warranty. Oh and the price of a No Good Car! What is the warranty for? Why buy a CERTIFIED pre-owned vehicle in the first place? When I wanted to buy used, my husband would only look at Toyota’s because of the reputation with us. I will NEVER purchase another Toyota again. I know a lot of people. I’m a professor at a college, my husband is a business owner. We will tell EVERYONE we know our experience with Toyota’s service and warranty. That $3500 pull the engine apart fee? That is a scam worthy of the slimiest, fly by night internet business...not a company that has long standing here in the US. They had better re-think that strategy. So, long Toyota. Never again.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Toyota Highlander - Outstanding durability and very solid SUV. Already have a hundred and twenty thousand miles on a 2013 limited. No significant issues with it at all. I got a good deal on mine but generally they are overpriced. And do not like the first generation Etune.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Love the 2017 Toyota Highlander. But be very careful when you finance the car or possibly just buy it. They ask you to sign, BUT on a electronic signature. Like a dummy I did. When I got the Hard Copy I got almost $1,000.00 in charges I never agreed to and wasn't on my original sales receipt. I was able to get most of it back only after complaining directly to Toyota's Regional main office. Never sign electronically.

Original review: April 28, 2018

We have driven Toyotas for 12 years. We have always had the best service and reliability with each one. We had a Camry, Avalon, and Highlander. I prefer the Highlander since it has the 3rd seat and we have 6 grandchildren. It is durable, classy and dependable. I’ve never had an issue with these vehicles! I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I've driven this Highlander 2004 since 2004 and it's been great, has served my purpose, low maintenance. Great for carrying people, groceries and other shopping. Handles well, keeps me high enough to see around other cars on the freeway.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Purchased 2018 SE Highlander. I have had Toyotas in the past and then went to Hondas for almost 16 years. Never an issue. The SE I just purchase that now has almost 2,000 miles on it has seats that look like they either have too much material or not enough padding. Even my friends ask me what is wrong with my seats. I took it to my dealer, Toyota of Louisville, and it was sent to an upholstery shop that they use. I was contacted and told they put more padding in where they could but many places couldn't be remedied as it "was just the characteristics of the seats." Now, this is not one of my seats, but 3 of them. The seats still look like they are missing padding. One seat was laid down for extra space when needed and it still has the indention in it from where it laid on the seat belt holder for less than 2 hours.

I was provided a loaner while this was being done and it was a 2017 Highlander XLE from Enterprise. The seats in this car looked much worse than mine but it had almost 10,000 miles on it. I took pictures of that car and mine and submitted to Toyota.com. I was contacted and basically told they understood my concern but unless they received enough complaints, they couldn't really do anything about it. I stressed that an almost $40,000.00 vehicle should not have this issue but of course this person, who was very polite, was just the front runner to speak to and appease someone like myself to basically say they received my complaint, nothing will be done about it and was told that the problem won't be addressed or corrected unless they receive a large number of complaints and then it would be taken to a board for review.

My dealer's service department even told me that they couldn't put too much padding in the seats as it could affect the airbags. I should have gone with the Honda Pilot or Acura and will be trading my vehicle soon and will never, never, go back to Toyota. It is an obvious manufacturing defect but to Toyota, one person's voice is not heard as proven by my token response from Toyota. This problem could be easily corrected to meet the standards that this vehicle should have met before it was cleared to leave the factory line. Poor quality and honestly this shocks me from Toyota but guessing it is a sign of the times. I wonder if Consumer Reports would address this. I attached 2 pictures... The light blue/grey seat was of the rental 2017 XLE, the dark seat is just one of my 2018 SE Highlander.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have owned many Toyota trucks and SUV's. I traded my Tundra in on a 2015 Highlander which I purchased in 2014. Drove for two years and loved it. No issues. I was up around 40k miles and my sales guy called and offered me a deal to trade it in and purchase a 2016 with 0% interest. I thought it was a good deal. I never make decisions on the spot but was a great deal so why not. I am one that takes very good care of my vehicles. I soon washed it and after lowering the driver side window down and then back up noticed the front third of the window was saturated. Like someone ran over it with a sponge. I immediately called the dealership and they replaced the felt but nothing changed. They also made sure the holes in the door were not plugged for drainage.

Dealership then called Toyota and they said they have not heard of the issue so there is no fix. I then called Toyota directly to which I ended up setting an appointment with the district engineer at my local dealership. Let me back up and say this never happened on any of my previous Toyotas or the 2015 Highlander. No other windows on this vehicle have an issue. I have friends that own 2016 and newer Highlanders and they don't have a problem. I was told by the district engineer that my issue is normal. We went around and around for 30 minutes before I gave up furious.

How could this be normal??? If it sits in the garage for days it will still be wet. I called Toyota back asking what were my options next and basically was told the engineer's answer was the final say. I am beyond disappointed in the lack of customer service from Toyota as I purchased Toyotas thinking they make solid products and stand behind them. Well the illusion is gone. I am so disappointed as I do like the Highlander but I am not happy living with the wet window every time I roll it down and up after washing it or it rains. Wish I could afford to get a new vehicle.

Original review: March 6, 2018

There is a vibration noise in this vehicle at all times. My husband drives this and he has hearing issues (never hears off the turn signal). I hear it all the time. Found out the dealer let the car off the lot with 44 lbs of pressure in all the tires. Remedied that, but the vibration is still there. This is the vehicle we use for traveling and now WE WON’T. I want to jump out of the car. I can’t take it. How much time and money do you want to waste trying to fix this problem??? Pass up the Highlander.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

When I drive in slush or snow all four door sills of my 2017 Sport Highlander fill solid with inches of slush. The door panel wraps around the bottom of the vehicle, so the whole area is packed with snow. Pant legs get covered in dirt when entering or exiting the vehicle. Took it to London, Ont Toyota town where I bought it. Was told there is a design fault in the vehicle, just like in the Lexus, there is nothing they can do but send a note to Toyota Canada. I asked about extra rust protection or something, as the salt and water sitting trapped in there is a concern. Service manager said it is protected by paint like the outside of the vehicle. If you drive on wet or snow covered roads DO NOT buy this vehicle!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I bought a 2017 Toyota Highlander XLE Hybrid. So far I made over 6000 miles. I have 3 things to share: 1) Gas mileage! One can never get the specified 29 MPG (city), 28 MPG (hwy). In reality one can average, at best, 24 MPG (combined). I complained to Toyota and they concluded that I push the brake pedal and then the gas pedal too often. Stupid!!! I live in DC, the stop signs are everywhere, the traffic is bumper-to-bumper. Isn't the hybrid suppose to take advantage of the braking?! Why I paid the premium for a hybrid?

2) Navigation! It is old, slow, stupid... Worse than your 1995 GPS display that you used to stick to the dashboard. If you do not select "toll roads" it sends you somewhere and you would get lost. If you select "toll roads" it especially starts looking to toll roads and does not show the other ones. Also, I live in DC, not somewhere in the bush! But it hardly can find that way to my home, or to my office. Always sends me to some weird roads that I would never go. It selects 3 road options, and all 3 are weird! OK, DC is maybe too complex for this device! But I drove to Florida, mostly on I-95. Same thing, it lost me several times. In overall, the navigation system is useless, altogether. Use your Google Map.

3) I could not understand how this emergency brake system operates. Several times the car almost hit the car in front of me with no sense that there is a car ahead. Sometimes it suddenly starts beeping, but mostly when the distance is safe. I also think that this option is useless. In general I think that the Highlander XLE Hybrid is a LEMON.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I purchased a brand new Toyota Highlander 2017 and I'm very displeased the way the vehicle makes noise inside like an old car. Sounds like something is loose. Not tight. Maybe it's in the cargo space or even the third row. What can I do.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Looking at Toyota's website (and brochures), you would come away with the conclusion that a properly equipped 2017 or 2018 Toyota Highlander would be a great vehicle to pull a small Recreational Vehicle (RV) trailer up to 5000 lbs. But, not so fast as that interpretation appears to be wrong.

OK, the user manual states that the Highlander requires any trailer over 1000 lbs to have trailer service brakes... So far so good... RV's all have electric brakes which means that the Highlander would need a brake controller... Still sounding doable as that's exactly what was done with earlier model Highlanders.

However, just wire up any brake controller in the standard way all brake controllers are wired in vehicles that are not pre-wired and you will be severely disappointed as the Highlander will display "Pre-Collision System Malfunction" when you press the manual switch on the brake controller. Ask Toyota for advice and you find a company unwilling to offer any concrete recommendations. Instead they make random irrelevant assertions like "get a trailer with surge brakes" (no RV trailers have surge brakes, that is for rental utility trailers) or "why didn't you buy a Tundra or 4Runner".

My opinion is that it is unrealistic to expect the brake controller manufacturers to understand the complexities of Toyota’s Pre-Collision System even if they were given access to the engineering design artifacts; thus, I believe that the burden should be on Toyota to provide a recommendation on a path forward. If Toyota is not willing to provide the necessary support needed to resolve how a Highlander should be wired for a brake controller, then their advertising is very misleading.

(Note: Models prior to 2017 do not have this issue because they don't have a Pre-Collision System).

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

We are in a touch and go traffic on a normal street, car ahead of us, moved and we followed. As soon as the car stopped (suddenly), I was trying to stop, but the Collision avoidance system kicked in, took control of my brakes, but the car didn't stop, This happened at around 10-15 mph speed, ended up rear-ending the car and now dealing with my first accident ever. I called Toyota immediately, but it was Thanksgiving time, so office was closed. I called today and gave them a very clear explanation of what exactly happened. They are looking into this and said someone from Toyota will call me and talk about the next steps. The whole point of buying a brand new 2017 Toyota Highlander SUV loaded with safety features is because you don't want to deal with these kind of headaches, but the car didn't stop when it mattered or didn't let me stop. Both are worse. I hope Toyota fixes the problem and also takes care of the damage occurred to my car.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We have a 2010 Highlander model and take care of our vehicle with regular maintenance and recommended follow up visits. The car has served us very well; the materials are long-lasting; the only problem we had was that over the years [16] the headlights looked dull and took away from the presentation. We replaced them buying headlights online and having a street mechanic install. Voila! The car not only runs very well but now looks exceptional.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My Highlander satisfaction does not yet match that of my 1999 4Runner but still solid. I've 2 episodes over the last 6 months with the car overheating and needing coolant refills. 3 days ago I was leaving for church only to see a pool of antifreeze under my car. I refilled and drove it to NTB yesterday. I was told there was a crack in the radiator so I paid $850 to have the radiator replaced. So far the car is working fine. I just don't understand why a 2015 highlander with 46,000 miles should need to have its radiator replaced.

My 4Runner has 217,000 miles and has very few problems. I expect great parts quality out of Toyota, but in this case I believe there may be a defect. The car has not had any accidents except for minor parking lot backup damage over a year ago. Also, quick access for shops to aftermarket replacement radiators does not seem to exist for such a low mile Toyota, so they have to use Genuine replacement parts which in this case was nearly 4 times the cost of an aftermarket equivalent.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

It's great on gas, the body is strong and the engine is great. As for the tranny, one can't feel it shift. Its air condition and heat is wonderful. Overall, it's a great SUV.

Toyota Highlander Company Information