3.73/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Toyota Highlander

The Toyota Highlander is a mid-size crossover SUV. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Toyota Highlander Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My 2017 highlander starter went out. Toyota has none available and has to order it from Japan and then wants to charge me almost $1000.00 for parts and labor. Even wanting to charge me that outrageous price there is no ETA in the part. Toyota needs to make this right. I can’t be the only 2017 Toyota Highlander owner that has a bad starter.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

2013 Limited Highlander overall is a nice SUV. What is disappointing, is the parts that should last a lifetime are poor designed, cheap and very expensive. For example, the rear wiper motor is over $300Cad and the gear is made of plastic. It will wear out under force from motor, especially in winter. Can't buy the gear to replace. The gear is not fully engaged with the motor gear. They could've designed it for have more contact to handle more force. Profile on the plastic gear should've been covers the shape of the motor gear by half the diameter. Comparing the price for same year GM with open window style models at 1/3 the price (not sure how poorly is made).

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Our well maintained 2011 TOYOTA Highlander’s engine broke down. We don’t know what happened. This car is always on time for service at the dealership. One day, the engine started to sound like it's drowning, check engine light and VSC light came on. Replaced all spark plugs and 3 coil packs, still didn’t work. Toyota dealership suggested to tear down the engine to find out what’s the issue is. Initial charge is $4,800. Ugh!! It’s could reach $10K If further damage found.

Original review: May 14, 2019

TOYOTA. We purchased a fully loaded 2014 Highlander because of we loved Toyota and liked the safety ratings and quality (so we thought). Within a year our power liftgate began not opening or closing at times. We have taken it to the dealership and other certified body shops and no-one can seem to pinpoint the issue and we have now spent a lot of money trying to get this to work. As a mom of two young children not being able to use the power liftgate leaves the back of our vehicle USELESS! If I wanted a small vehicle I would not have sent the money on a vehicle to offer a third row/cargo area. What gets me is that the 2012/2013 model is recalled for this same issue and Toyota will not step in to fix our problem. I am frustrated because we take it in and it's $$$ to diagnose the issue. They reset the computer and it works for a few times up and down and then starts to malfunction AGAIN.

We take it back and the cycle begins again and no-one thinks it odd that we have this problem so often and when we look it up we are NOT the only ones who have had issues with this. The cost to diagnose is $100 a time, the sensors will cost over $2000 to replace for it to MAYBE work. We took it in before our warranty expired and no one could figure it out and now that we are willing to pay for it still no-one is helping us. Oh did I mention it is not closing all the way so the seal is not sealing and has now buckled the body of the vehicle due to the weight and pressure from the power lift components??? If you are looking for a family vehicle avoid a POWER LIFTGATE and purchasing from TOYOTA because we have been to multiple dealerships as we have relocated for work a few times. One very dissatisfied customer.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I bought a brand new hybrid Highlander 2019 less than 5 months ago and the check engine came on 4 times already. First time when the car only had 2351 miles. I brought my car to Roseville Toyota, they reset the computer then less than a week, the check engine light came on again, brought the car back to the dealer and had to wait for 2 weeks before the parts shipped to the dealer. Then the part came, it was fuel sensor, got it replaced then 2 weeks later, the light came on again. The dealer had to replace the fuel pump, then fuel line... now it seems to be okay. I tried to contact Toyota headquarters, the manager said Toyota couldn’t do anything to compensate for my time off to get my car fix. So, to everyone who plans to buy a hybrid Toyota, think twice before buying it or find others brand instead.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Highlander?

Original review: May 12, 2019

I am unable to find the warranty on the tire. When you go to the site they say they will replace if unusual wear but there is not warranty period listed. When I try to contact them online... the site takes you to site to fill in and I filled in several times...then the site takes you to the captcha box of I am not a robot and then gets stuck.

I need the warranty....period for my tires that I have had since I bought the Highlander new in October. They are saying the tires are wearing low and I should think about replacing them. I just bought a new Highlander and now this. Also your site....When I type in Toyo Tires it said Sorry Company Not Found and would not let me go further so I put in Toyota.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Not a bad vehicle by any means. Even with its shortcomings, it's better than the competition. With that said, what kind of 4 wheel drive vehicle does not have a front recovery hook? Even my Prius has one. Toyota customer service (?) is clueless on how to answer this question and simply provides nonsensical answers. Is the front end too weak to support towing? Oops, kind of worried now. Hey Toyota, time to come clean on this mistake.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I have a Toyota Highlander 2018 limited, an expensive vehicle. Over the weekend my wife got a thin bed sheet she was using to protect the floor area. The rear hatch would not work. We took it to Toyota and they said we have to completely replace the system to the tune of 800.00. This is crazy. There is not a fusible link or something-it's a design flaw at best. Toyota should own up to this and reimburse the owners. My dealer said this is not uncommon.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My 2016 Toyota Highlander Limited's voice recognition and navigation system are practically useless. Will ask to find a location and it will start trying to call someone. I have retrained it multiple times with no affect. The navigation system will never take the best way. I have had it want to take me 10 miles out of the way when I am a block away from my destination. If either of these are a selling point for you, don't get roped in.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My Highlander has electric problem going on in front dash where the temperature is speed. It flashes 100 miles hour and just other day I went turn car on, it lit up engine light and warning light. It wouldn’t even shift to Reverse so I finally shut it down, wait about 10 minutes. It finally started and no lights going off so I drove it to Toyota where we bought it. His words was, "Well I wouldn’t know how write up to mechanic," Really! This wasn’t cheap car. (It is limited.) Not happy with how I am being treated. Is there anyone out there having same problems?

Toyota Highlander Company Information