2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5

The Toyota Highlander is a mid-size crossover SUV. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Toyota Highlander Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Highlander?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Highlander?

Original review: May 24, 2020

Bought a 2019 Toyota Highlander XLE from Expressway Toyota of Boston. I am a first time Toyota owner; I will never buy an American brand name vehicle again. My highlander is the Blizzard Pearl White color, black interior full bench rear seat (no rear captain chairs). I bought it with 12 miles on the car and now one year and a half later I have 17,000 miles. No defects or mechanical issues. Very smooth ride. I find the seats comfortable. They do not hurt as others say after long rides. Maybe because everyone's body is different. I have no rattle or wind noises in the cabin. On the highway 70-75 is a good cruise speed and gets good gas mileage. Anything over 80 tends to drink more gas faster. The highlander has plenty, of cup holders and storage space and charging ports.

2019 is also the last year of that specific body style so most of the kinks have been work out. Normally new models or new body changes the first years are normally where you would see issues. The only con I see at the moment is the Blizzard Pearl White paint job has a flaw in the paint that attracts more small red environmental pollutant dots; though Toyota is in the process to finding a solution to correct that issue; in the meantime, a clay bar and waxing solves that issue.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

This car has many great safety features and has helped me many times avoid collisions, especially when backing up. The voice directions on the navigation doesn’t always work correctly and the low tire pressure warning is overly sensitive. And it doesn’t tell you which tire is low. I would also like a digital MPH indicator. Other than that, I am extremely pleased with the Highlander.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The Highlander is a fun vehicle to drive, however, it has some comfort issues. The front seats have headrests that keep your head looking downward (especially if your hair is tied back). They’re not adjustable and the front seats aren’t very comfortable for longer trips. Also, there’s blind spots and issues with switching lanes - constantly having to check. It has some good features like back passenger seats that are adjustable, easily fold up or down and ample leg room.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My 2005 Highlander has just hit 243,000 miles and shows no signs of stopping soon. I do the recommended maintenance and change the oil regularly, but have had no hugely expensive repair bills. She has been a workhorse for my business running a concession stand for my husband (which involves toting a lot of heavy cases of water, sports drinks, etc,), and when our kids still lived at home, we drove twice a year from St. Louis, MO to Orlando, FL for family vacations. This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, comfortable to drive and supremely dependable. Honestly, I kind of wish she would stop being so dependable, so I could get a newer, prettier Highlander (just kidding. Mostly).

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I love my Highlander for many reasons: ease of exit and entry, ability to load a lot inside and outside the vehicle, visibility, good gas mileage for its size. The drawbacks are things like gas mileage in town is only about 16 mpg and the paint is starting to peel, and the height is such that I have to use a small ladder to wash or even clean all of the windshield.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I love my Toyota Highlander for its comfort, performance, convenient loading, ability to change from 3rd row seating to full cargo, reliability, customer service on service issues, all the “extras” that are available with the Highlander Ltd and mostly I love the way it looks!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

The Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2006 is a very comfortable, spacious, smooth car. One of the best features is gas/mile. When you turn engine on it is so quiet that you might think you did not start the car. I love everything about my Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Make sure to keep up the maintenance and this car will not fail you????❤️

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

We love our Highlander, Toyota has been good to us (this is our 3rd Toyota). We needed a 3rd row since our son was heading off to college we needed more room for traveling! It has served us very well!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

2005 Toyota Highlander has leather seats, seat back warmer, nice wheel style, and extra row of seats. I love it! Plenty of room, reliable on the road. Very comfortable with good visibility. I have had it since 2005 and it is still in the best of shape. I do keep up with the recommended maintenance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Toyota got it right with the Highlander. It is right sized, extremely comfortable for all passengers and the ergonomics are simply awesome. Have had zero mechanical problems after 5+ years of use. Our family loves this car and we still think of it as "new". If we needed to replace a car, I'd buy another one & have 2 Highlanders.

Toyota Highlander Company Information