2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.85/5

The Toyota Highlander is a mid-size crossover SUV. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Toyota Highlander Shop on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Toyota Highlander Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Highlander?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Highlander?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Toyota got it right with the Highlander. It is right sized, extremely comfortable for all passengers and the ergonomics are simply awesome. Have had zero mechanical problems after 5+ years of use. Our family loves this car and we still think of it as "new". If we needed to replace a car, I'd buy another one & have 2 Highlanders.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Purchasing my Highlander was a win from the beginning. The dealership, salesman and manager were very patient and helpful. I test drove every possible option, and many twice! My Highlander is such a pleasure to drive. The upgrades and details of this vehicle make this vehicle a very comfortable ride.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Great ride, get a lot for your money, no mechanical issues, lots of power, 0-60 and top speed very good. Passing on the highway is really good. More than enough power. Leg room in the 2nd row is great even with the front row seats all the way back. 3rd row as expected.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

BEST CAR EVER!!! 2006 and I am only owner and car has 187000 miles and still runs GREAT! Would buy this same year & model...if I found a one owner vehicle. Used to help move more people than I can count.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Most solid vehicle I've ever driven and/or owned. Not even a minor rattle. Handles beautifully and has plenty of power. The design could be a bit better, but I've seen the new 2020 and that design is spectacular. Really can't say anything negative about it. I love it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Car is comfortable and reliable. There is a new feature on my 2019 that shuts off the engine when you are at a full stop - a gas savings innovation, but I wonder what kind of stress it places on the car battery. Scared me half-to death the first couple of times.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My 2017 highlander starter went out. Toyota has none available and has to order it from Japan and then wants to charge me almost $1000.00 for parts and labor. Even wanting to charge me that outrageous price there is no ETA in the part. Toyota needs to make this right. I can’t be the only 2017 Toyota Highlander owner that has a bad starter.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

2013 Limited Highlander overall is a nice SUV. What is disappointing, is the parts that should last a lifetime are poor designed, cheap and very expensive. For example, the rear wiper motor is over $300Cad and the gear is made of plastic. It will wear out under force from motor, especially in winter. Can't buy the gear to replace. The gear is not fully engaged with the motor gear. They could've designed it for have more contact to handle more force. Profile on the plastic gear should've been covers the shape of the motor gear by half the diameter. Comparing the price for same year GM with open window style models at 1/3 the price (not sure how poorly is made).

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Our well maintained 2011 TOYOTA Highlander’s engine broke down. We don’t know what happened. This car is always on time for service at the dealership. One day, the engine started to sound like it's drowning, check engine light and VSC light came on. Replaced all spark plugs and 3 coil packs, still didn’t work. Toyota dealership suggested to tear down the engine to find out what’s the issue is. Initial charge is $4,800. Ugh!! It’s could reach $10K If further damage found.

Original review: May 14, 2019

TOYOTA. We purchased a fully loaded 2014 Highlander because of we loved Toyota and liked the safety ratings and quality (so we thought). Within a year our power liftgate began not opening or closing at times. We have taken it to the dealership and other certified body shops and no-one can seem to pinpoint the issue and we have now spent a lot of money trying to get this to work. As a mom of two young children not being able to use the power liftgate leaves the back of our vehicle USELESS! If I wanted a small vehicle I would not have sent the money on a vehicle to offer a third row/cargo area. What gets me is that the 2012/2013 model is recalled for this same issue and Toyota will not step in to fix our problem. I am frustrated because we take it in and it's $$$ to diagnose the issue. They reset the computer and it works for a few times up and down and then starts to malfunction AGAIN.

We take it back and the cycle begins again and no-one thinks it odd that we have this problem so often and when we look it up we are NOT the only ones who have had issues with this. The cost to diagnose is $100 a time, the sensors will cost over $2000 to replace for it to MAYBE work. We took it in before our warranty expired and no one could figure it out and now that we are willing to pay for it still no-one is helping us. Oh did I mention it is not closing all the way so the seal is not sealing and has now buckled the body of the vehicle due to the weight and pressure from the power lift components??? If you are looking for a family vehicle avoid a POWER LIFTGATE and purchasing from TOYOTA because we have been to multiple dealerships as we have relocated for work a few times. One very dissatisfied customer.

Toyota Highlander Company Information