Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
4.33/5
Based on 122 reviews that contain star ratings

Toyota Corolla

The Toyota Corolla is a well-known line of compact and sub-compact cars. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

122 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Updated on 11/27/2018: A few months ago, my 2014 Toyota Corolla needed a NEW TRANSMISSION! WTH, I was shocked. Thank god that Toyota decided to replace it even the warranty just had expired, approximately 6 thousand miles ago. After that I had to replace battery, today I have two lights come on "check engine" and "trac off". I had bought this car because of its reputation, reliability and economical. All of which was true because I owned a 1999 Corolla before and never had any issues like my less than 5 year Corolla is giving me.

I am now doubting Toyota cars, what a disappointment this car has been, did Toyota sell me a "lemon" car? Even the workers at Elk Grove Toyota said that they have not come across such a headache of a car, my 2014 Corolla. It's holiday season, now I have to pay $145 just for diagnostic, not including the issues/repairs once discovered. This is my only vehicle and I am just heartbroken with this Corolla. Lord help me and give me strength to deal new issue.

Original Review: K, Elk Grove Toyota did replace my transmission for free and gave me rental car for no charge (thank god). Otherwise, I would have to come up with $8,000. Still mind boggling, why a 2014 transmission would go out in my Corolla. I owned a 1999 corolla for years with 268,000 miles with no major replacements of any kind. So I am little concerned on the quality these days. Does Toyota need to recall its 2014 Corollas, are there other people who had the same issue as me? I believe because of my transmission going out, I recently had to replace my battery in my car which cost me $150. Maybe unrelated, who knows. I was thinking how do I find out if other 2014 Corolla owners encountered same issue so I decided to write this review, please reach out to me if you had similar problems. Concerned citizen. Thanks.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I had previously owned a Corolla for 11 years with no issues. Toyota’s are great. Love this Toyota Corolla iM but the only slight issue I have is trunk space. It’s hatchback with no trunk and not a lot of room which I knew going into the purchase.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 28, 2018

I have had my Toyota Corolla for a couple of years now and I have not had a single problem with it. It's great on gas and I drive on the interstate a lot and it does great there too. I have always been partial to Toyota, as I used to sell them, so thankful I finally own one!! My car has great features, all electric windows and so forth, built in navigation and Bluetooth so I can talk on the phone handsfree. It's also very roomy even though it's a smaller car. It has a huge trunk and it has all the safety features that define the Toyota brand. It's just right for me. I will drive it until the wheels fall off, literally!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I'm very happy with my Toyota Corolla. I was able to get right away and to get 0% financing. It drives well, great quality and value for the price and looks sporty. Also, I like that it's small but not too small and with better gas mileage and nice gadgets for the price. I like the grey color as well. I wish the trunk and gas openers were in a different spot. Sometimes feel like it's too low to the ground. And sometimes wish it had more power.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My Toyota is a 1995 and only recently have I replaced original parts. I love my car and I like that it has lasted so long and has great gas mileage. My car has almost 200000 miles and is still going strong. It has seats that fold down so I can haul almost anything. There is plenty of room to take my grandkids anywhere they want to go. Even can haul a blow up kayak and life jackets and a picnic lunch, towels and beach blankets. I also love the way this car goes forever with low maintenance. Also car parts, batteries, alternator, and most all other parts are less on this car which is good for me as I am on social security only. However, I would like to have the thing that makes my phone hands free. I would also want the backup screen and the beep that lets me know when obstacles are too close. And maybe a sunroof. I will buy another Toyota when this one dies. Probably a larger one with all the extras.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Corolla?

Original review: June 22, 2018

My Toyota Corolla is just a regular older car but still very reliable. It had a lot of miles on it by the time I got it but yet she still ran like a champ. I had a small child and that car was perfect for our family needs. I would have liked a better sound system but again for the age it was alright. The transmission ended up going out on me on my way to Portland, and that's the only complaint I have. Other than that, loved my car truly and would like another but just newer.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I had always gone with Chevrolet before but this last time I chose something a little more classier and upscale. The Corolla fits my needs perfectly and was also a dream to drive. It was a beautiful pearl white and had heated leather seats, a sound system with Bose speakers and the car drove as smooth as silk. It oozed class from the front bumper to the end of the trunk and the color was really out of this world. It was 4 years old when I bought it but you would never have known that by looking at it. I liked the fact that it was a Toyota because I had heard several different reviews about that model and they were all excellent. I also liked that it was a one-time owner, garage kept and the mileage when I purchased it was very low, 100,000. I had also researched the model and it had an excellent safety rating. I made an excellent choice and just got very lucky.

This car was driven to an upwards of over 240,000 miles and I never had a bit of trouble with it other than maintenance and upkeep. It was an absolute dream car and was probably the most dependable car I have ever owned. It beats my old Chevrolet Camaro I had when I was in my teens. The Corolla definitely changed my perception about me being a "Chevrolet girl". I am now definitely a Toyota one! I would recommend this car to anyone.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My 2007 Toyota was a second choice mostly due to its small size. However, knowing they are good reliable cars played a part as did the price, but the deciding factor was the gas per Mile. I drive a lot so saving money on gas to have it go further was what made my decision to purchase. I loved that the car is automatic versus standard as I can and had luxury features such as power locks and power windows. I like the security feature of the locked gas cap and the deer alarm. I also like the fact that it has a CD player since music is key to me and I can't always find a song I like on the radio. However, I would like it to have a better radio which I could control from the steering wheel for safety reasons. I would like the feature of an aux cord too. The addition of back up cameras would be a huge benefit as well.

Original review: June 18, 2018

My Corolla is very reliable, gets good gas mileage, feels safe, and usually lasts a long time. The maintenance required is usually low and not costly like an expensive sports car. The car is comfortable too. I had to purchase this car unexpectedly and needed to find something basic that I could afford. I have owned a Toyota Corolla in the past and it was a great car. And the car is in my price range. It fits my needs but would love to have something more sporty. I would want a car that is more fun. I would also like to have some automatic features like automatic windows. I also have a blind spot and this is not safe and makes backing up more difficult.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I got the Corolla used and lasted me for a good 10 years before (age 20 years) and a minor accident made it unfixable. Did virtually no repairs in the 10 years I owned it just regular oil changes and tune ups. It was a base model so in 07 actually had hand crank windows and manual door locks. If I replace with same model (used) I would need all power, air conditioning and radio. Don't really care about anything else but GPS would be nice although I have a limited driving range. Car was given to me in a partial settlement but I always knew I would outgrow its size because I am disabled. The car I had was a much older model (1998). It was small enough to park easily, was great on gas mileage (had something like a 15 gallon gas tank), but the air conditioner had to be at least recharged every couple of years.

Original review: June 16, 2018

There are issues with it. A typical for a Corolla. Transmission is faulty and the airbags were recalled. Spending too much on maintenance and upkeep. Even so, it is dependable, reliable, usually. Fairly decent gas mileage. It may last me for a decade if I do not drive it too much.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love how soft and firm the seats are. The car has decent gas mileage. My family feels safe and cozy in the back of the car. I enjoy the fun road trip in this car. I also love the technology behind the car. The car has a back rear camera to ensure I avoid any accidents. I love the touch screen interface in the front to help me navigate the god. The wheel has all the buttons I need to call emergency. I wish I had gotten my windows tinted though. Also, I wish my car could have more space for passengers and cargo and the seats were smaller and provided more lower back support. The seats should come is fleece or leather.

Original review: June 14, 2018

This is the sixth Corolla I have owned. I am very satisfied with this car. It has all the features anyone could want as standard equipment. It is an attractive car, as well. I also like that the car is very inexpensive to drive owing to the great gas mileage, the handling is excellent and it has many features found on more expensive automobiles as standard equipment. The hands free Bluetooth is a good safety feature. It rides and handles like a larger car does and is fun to drive. However, I would like to have a roomier back seat. The cruise control on the steering wheel is hard to read when driving. Also, when using headlights at night, there is a dark area on the top area of the field of vision which makes it hard to see, especially going up and down hills.

Original review: June 13, 2018

The Toyota Corolla is a very nice car. It has Bluetooth for your phone. It has a backup camera. It has buckle bars for car seats. It has an option for standard or automatic. This car is simple but amazing. The ride is super comfortable. The price was good and it was within my credit allowance. The minute I drove it I loved it. The color is slate grey which I like. The trunk is spacious. The engine is quiet. The sound is non existing, great ride overall. I would definitely purchase another Toyota. I wish there was an option for manual windows though. It is very unlikely these days but it would be nice. Also put a code on it to unlock it in case you lock your keys in it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My car model is a Toyota Corolla from 2006. My overall experience the car has been a very positive one. It is not a car with many bells and whistles, but it is safe to drive, and needs a little repair. I chose a Toyota Corolla in particular for its engine's reputation of endurance and reliability. It has served me well for many years. This is my favorite feature of the car. I also enjoyed that it has a radio with the ability to have preset stations, cupholders in the dash (as I hate those clip-on window cupholders), air conditioning and heater (VERY important when you drive in Texas) and factory speed control. It also is easy to brake in this quick to respond when I hit the brake pedal, and this is also very important when driving in Texas due to the crazy drivers here.

I drive a lot during the workday, and will often enjoy eating in my car for lunch, taking advantage of the seat being able to be pushed in the back lowered. It's extremely refreshing! However, it does tend to fishtail on ice, but there is the possibility of that part of it is because I am not used to driving on ice. However, I do try to be very cautious and drive slowly while driving on ice, so I know at least part of it is due to the car. Also, it does have almost no effect on diminishing outside road noise, which can be an annoyance. However, overall I greatly enjoy and appreciate my little Corolla.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I wish it wasn't so low to the ground, I don't like having to stoop down to get in and then push myself up to get out. Also the back seat doesn't have a lot of leg room. But it's a really reliable car that gets great gas mileage, and has a surprising amount of space considering how small of a car it is. It's the right size, and cute. It was also super affordable. It also has cloth seats which are nice because they don't get super hot in the summer and burn you. I love the car.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Overall, I have enjoyed the 2016 Toyota Corolla. It has nice features and is designed well aesthetically both inside and out for an economy vehicle. However, last month I was involved in a low speed collision, around 25 mph, hitting another car head on. EVERY airbag in my car deployed, which seemed really unnecessary. I was shocked by the lack of damage to the outside of my car. The damage could have easily been repairable for only a fraction of the value of the car. However, since the airbags went off, the car is now worthless sitting in a junkyard. That seems like a huge design flaw to me. OR, on one hand it makes sense for Toyota... Make the sensors extremely sensitive so that the airbags go off and consumers need to go out and buy a brand new Toyota.

I on the other hand, might avoid buying another Toyota because of this. Why would I want to invest more money into a brand that isn't truly economical and reliable? Complete airbag deployment in such a low speed collision is completely unnecessary. The seatbelt saved me from injuries in this type of collision... NOT THE AIRBAGS. The airbags did nothing except destroy my car and cost me thousands of dollars. What a waste.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I've had this Toyota Corolla for 12 years and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The only thing I do is get the maintenance every 2000 miles and new tires and brakes when required. I need to get from point "a" to point "b" and this car has gone above and beyond my expectations. I drive mountains road everyday and this car is up to the task every time. It's all about practicality. I love my Corolla and never want to part with it.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Very good value. Great gas mileage. Great paint job. Always shining. Controls easy to use. Overall the Toyota Corolla is worth to be a keeper over the years.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Toyota makes great cars and I am the proud owner of one of them. My 2006 Toyota Corolla still looks and runs like new. It is super dependable. I will always be a Toyota owner.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Love Toyota Corolla S. Great handling, 32 gal highway very fast. Comfortable. Made for short people. I also had a Celica that gave 350,000 miles brand new. Same engine. Great cars. Too bad USA can't make as nice inside and out with quality, long lasting, great mileage and affordable pricing.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I bought a new Toyota Corolla 2014 to go to work. I used it just on the freeway, no accidents, just normal conditions driving and with 50,000 miles the dealer told me that I have to replace the bushings. I chose them because they have a very reliable cars but how come I have to make a major repair with that small mileage?? And they can't fix it because my warranty is expired already. I contact them via email and just told me that they forward the info to other department and that's it; very disappointing on the car and the customer service.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Toyota is the best. My Toyota never had a problem with the engine, never had bumpy ride. And it stayed beautiful. The one negative is the door handles, they break and break. But I see they changed handles on doors now. Also I replaced brakes twice in 10 years. But I loved my car. It was the best car in my life. I wish I started out my life buying Toyotas, it would have been wonderful for me and my girls growing up. No problems... With the car that is. Just keep oil changes and good gas.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Toyotas not only are durable, dependable, but also hold their resale value. I have owned several Toyotas in the past as well as now, and I guarantee that I have never had one leave me stranded and I always got great trade-in value for them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I previously drove General Motors cars, but have driven Toyotas for the past 6 years. The car feels somewhat light, but has a comfortable ride and is quite reliable. I have not experienced any mechanical problems. Although the engine is small, I don't think the gas mileage is really great. Most of my driving is city driving which probably accounts for the gas mileage not seeming great.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

What's important to me is a vehicle that's both reliable and economical. I've had a number of Toyota's over the years, and have always been generally happy with them. I'm sometimes tempted to acquire another make because of price and deals etc., but after researching these models in depth, I realize I'm a Toyota man.

Original review: June 9, 2017

The durability is not any thing to brag about. I received a hefty ding on my left door on the first day so it's no better than any other car I've heard of. Nonetheless, the vehicle performs very well and cruises down the highway extremely smooth. It also holds gas very well and I am able to drive much further than in my old vehicle. It's very beautiful and the sleek body style certainly appeases me. I put details on the sides and vents on the hood to complement the spoiler I placed on the back. It is extremely cheap and much cheaper than any other vehicles I have driven. I was shocked with this price and it certainly made the decision easier.

Original review: June 9, 2017

The Toyota Corolla is a great value and has a lot of power for its size. Whether traveling in the summer or winter this vehicle handles well on the road. Whether on the highway or a country road traveling uphill it effortlessly handles for a comfortable ride. This is a quality built vehicle inside and out and also very attractive. The exteriors smooth lines and slightly sporty look is eye pleasing. The interior is spacious for the car size with comfortable seating front and back. The materials used are quality in the interior as well. The Toyota Corolla is great on gas and the price is obtainable and well worth it.

Original review: June 8, 2017

It was very sturdy and nice. I like how it put up through the harsh weather, especially in the winter. I also like the fact that the wheels spent go out like my last cars. I like how it's fast. My other car was very slow and I hated how its gas ran out fast. With this car I don't have to worry about any of that. I got a red car and I love the color and the inside of the car. It has good wheels and I also love how it made me look rich. I love this car so much and hope you will, too. I got my money's worth and I can't wait to spend more time with it.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I bought this car because it was absolutely adorable! I loved how it looked and how Toyota decided to upgrade it a little bit from the old style. I just wish they would have made it in brighter colors. It definitely wasn't the best car I've ever had, however it wasn't the worst I've ever had. It was very compact but absolutely wonderful on gas. This car was a very nice car for the price! It was surprisingly very cheap compared to other cars and was actually a big part of my decision to buy it! I love to save money and this was definitely the car for it. This car was wonderful one performance! I could fill it up and literally drive for 200 miles at 85 miles an hour. Definitely beats all of the other vehicles I've owned. I would recommend it to someone without children, if at all possible!

Toyota Corolla Company Information