1.58/5
Based on 79 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

138 Suzuki Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 28, 2018

The 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a small SUV with enough power to get out of the way of traffic so the 6 cylinder is great. I have had no issues with this vehicle and I have owned it for over 3 years. It is comfortable on long trips, good on gas in town and on the open road. I like that it is 4x4, it is a SUV so I have plenty of space. It also has more room inside than it looks like and it handles really good.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Suzuki Swift is practical little car. Being an automatic it's great in traffic and easy to park. It has a spacious interior but this comes at the expense of a small boot. However, you can fold the rear seat forward if you have no passengers there and load your shopping if need be!

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2018

My family has a Campion 542 Explorer and he put a 150 on it and all you hear when you drive is the drive shaft whining. It’s like a bravo 3 on a 5.0mpi at 3200 rpm except like 10 time louder. Please fix this on your next motors Suzuki because they're trash.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

So we have a 2009 Suzuki SX4. It has 140 miles. When we bought our car we were so excited to use it since it did great with snow and hills, and our environment all snow and hills. When newly bought it had about 60k miles on it but for a great price, $3500 to be exact. Everything looked great under the hood and it sounded great. But after two months our engine blew on the highway. A tick, tick, tick and then boom, then smoke under the hood. Took it to mechanic and they said the engine had a hole. Mechanic told us the car looks great other than engine, so we decided to buy the engine to replace it. Spent $1300 on new engine and $800 for them to install it. After that we thought never again any more engine problems.

After about a year and a few months, my husband turned on his car as usual and to his surprise his car was making a knocking sound. Gratefully it was a Friday, so he went to work and back with that knocking sound, taking it to mechanic next day early morning. He drove it 5 minutes away to mechanic and thankfully again car made it there and back home. But guess what the problem was? Engine trouble once again! Mechanic said since this was our second engine trouble he really thinks the engine has a defect. I was just now researching and many people have the same car engine issue and all say don't buy cars below the 2010 year for this brand and model because the bad engines many people have been having. Something about the engine has bad bearings so it's a defect in the engine that Suzuki doesn't care to recall since they don't make any more cars and they don't care about their consumers.

Not sure who to go to for my woes with this car and wish it didn't have bad engine defects so we could continue using it. We also recently put in a new differential and it was running great, till just a week ago the clanking in my engine started occurring. After putting in lots of money in the car I feel like Suzuki owes me money for my engine troubles. If I would have known this model had a bad engine defect I would have never bought it. Letting people know cause it's not fair that people don't know.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I bought a used 2008 Suzuki XL7 with approximately 132000 miles on it. I drove it for approximately a year and put just over 3k miles on it. The oil life gauge said it had 25% life left when it started to idle rough. I took it to a local mechanic, assuming it was the timing chains, it turned out to be a rusted camshaft. I attempted to get the BBB to help, they didn't help AT ALL, but the used auto dealer offers to replace the motor for only $600 plus the cost of the used motor. Why would they do it for $600 when it requires 14 or more hours to replace the motor? Now I am stuck with a parking lot paperweight.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suzuki?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Suzuki Auto customer service is non existent. Fuel pump went on a Saturday 145 miles from an authorized Suzuki repair shop. During the first three phone calls they would not even verify my Vin number. Kept saying it was an incorrect number. On the fourth phone call they say take the old fuel pump to the Suzuki dealer and a copy of the invoice and other documents then MAYBE we will consider reimbursement. Never purchase a Suzuki vehicle, they suck! I will never purchase anything Suzuki.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Dealing with this company is like getting your eye gouged out!!! Absolutely the worst company ever!!! I have been waiting over 2 months for fix or reply. Not one word from Suzuki!!! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY or you will be stuck like the rest of us!!!

Original review: May 20, 2017

Bought the Suzuki Df6AL motor new in 5/16. Took it out and got about 10 hrs of the break-in - completed. Took it to the river to complete the break-in and it would not start. Took it to Power source marine. Took several weeks as the Suzuki rep would not return their calls. They said I needed a new engine. The rep finally got back and agreed to replace the cylinder head only. His take was that I backed the boat down the ramp too fast. This took 2 more weeks. Picked up the engine and tried it again and ran about 20 minutes although it seemed very weak, stopped to fish a few minutes. Decided to move to another spot and had trouble pulling the cord as it would just stop after coming out about a foot, no amount of effort could get it to turn and I was afraid the rope would break.

I let the cord back in and tried again. It started to turn over then the motor backfired, pulled the rope out of my hand and the handle hit me in the side. As I was a few miles from the ramp I tried again with the same result. I started only pulling out the cord about a foot and it finally caught. Then took it back to my dealer. It has been there another month trying to get Suzuki to return their calls. A year and not one good day on the water.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

We bought our 16 yr. old daughter her 1st vehicle a 2006 Suzuki Reno July 2016 from Luxury motors in Oregon. Within 3 months the driver's seatbelt wasn't working, will not latch and the airbags light is always on. I thought there might be a recall on one or the other and looked on internet and there were 4 of them and these 2 were included. I made a service call for inspection but they would not honor the recall! 3 days ago both low beam headlights went out at the same time and dashboard light out too, it was dark so put on high beams. This also happened to be one of their recalls and it's a traffic hazard waiting to happen, called them yesterday and they won't honor this one either and in the meantime my light while driving go on and off periodically. What can we do? Please help. This should not have to come from our pocket!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016 I needed a new car in 2008, so I visited a Suzuki dealership to see what was offered. They had several 2007 Reno Luxury units and I selected one for $14,500.

Brand new, with only 35 miles. So far, so good. Then the paint peeled off the door handles. Next, the transmission range switch required replacing. Next, the interior trim started deteriorating. The sunroof ceased sliding open. When washing the car, my young daughter barely leaned on the hood and caused a dent. Flimsy! Next, half of the sound system illumination went out. The tires that came with the car, Kumho, had to be replaced 10,000-15,000 miles due to bulges on the sidewalls. The cigarette lighter fuse went out constantly. Gas mileage was just 22MPG and engine performance was such that one would not take the chance of passing; better to stay in the right-most lane.

When I was in an encounter that resulted in my car being deemed a total loss, the air bags did not deploy. Thankfully my daughters were not in the car at the time of impact. In summary, read all the information at hand prior to making a decision - internet and other sources. Hopefully you will have a far better experience than I had!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I bought a Suzuki car, second hand, it was just a nightmare. Went to the dealers today, asked for a wheel stud. They said, that is a car made in Japan. I was thrown off balance for a minute, pointed to the cars in the showroom, & said, "where do you think they were made?" She said they come from Manila, PH. Just burnt out, this was at a Suzuki dealer. And they don't know where to buy a wheel stud. Yeah right, burnt out.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

Must agree with many reviewers who said that they don't like Suzuki customer service support. Customer service support is really nasty, they don't listen to you, they don't care about the problems you have, and they have an excuse to every problem you might have. They do everything to protect their profits, really not good business for the company. I even filed official report with the company about Suzuki dealers and I never received the status of the complaint. Really nasty people, they only care to sell you their garbage and keep your money without giving anything back!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I really like this little truck, is strong excellent 4WD system, but I have been having a problem. I have a 3 door 2.4 liter 2010 Grand Vitara for about 1.5 years. I bought it with 15,000 miles now it has around 25,000 miles. Now everything works fine, but this happens once a day, while driving, trying to overtake another car. I started hearing a rattling sound somewhere in the engine room and then white smoke started coming out the tailpipe. So I changed the oil and everything change, the air filter check, the spark plugs and the plugs were good no water vapor, no oil leaks no coolant leaks, no check engine lights, it idles nicely.

It was scanned too, it only does it on my first acceleration of the day maybe twice, but when I press that pedal, the rattling starts and the smokes comes and it like it loses a little power then picks back up and then the smoke and noise stops, is the only brand and type of car from the ones I owned before that happens. I also tried different gas stations. I don't see any other cars in my city doing that. I am writing here because in my country Peru the service Derco won't give me an answer. Thank you.

Original review: June 10, 2016

My father purchased a brand new 2015 King Quad ATV from Suzuki about 8 months ago at the end of October/beginning of November. It was driven around 75 miles before it was placed in the garage for the winter. It was kept from the elements and well taken care of. When it was taken out of the garage around 2 months ago to use in the warmer weather, it was still in brand new, immaculate condition. Within less than a week of it being used, it was driven a mile from our house to check a hunting trail cam.

It was parked in a clear area as my dad went 20 feet into the woods, four wheeler still in sight. In less than 2 minutes, a fire ignited under the gas tank. My dad ran to try to smother the flames with dirt for several minutes, but was unable to get the flames under control. Obviously, a mile from his home, in a field, he was unable to do anything more. The fire grew until he took cover and the fuel tank exploded. He had to stand by and watch it burn to the ground. Not minor cosmetic damage, not minor motor damage, literally burn to nothing but frame. Thousands of dollars literally up in smoke.

My dad contacted a Suzuki rep. in California at their American headquarters. They treated him like a liar, like his situation didn't matter and like him even contacting them in reference to it was ridiculous. Eventually after he sent pictures to the company, they advised they would send someone to 'investigate'. It took weeks for someone to come to our home. When this person finally arrived, he was rude, passive and very elusive with my dad about what was going on. My dad had no questions answered and ultimately knew, in his gut, that no matter what actually happened, he was going to end up eating thousands of dollars for an ATV he got to drive just over 100 miles. He was correct.

After multiple attempts, unanswered calls, unanswered message, he was finally able to get a hold of this company for resolve in what was going on. Keep in mind, he was WELL within his warranty. He was told that 'it couldn't be proved that what happened was their fault'. Surprise there! I bet it was easy to come to that judgment as the piece of crap had burned to the frame. PLEASE tell me, how an immaculately cared for ATV with just over 100 miles on it can spontaneously burst into flames, explode and eventually end up as nothing but a frame. What if he had been driving on it when it exploded? What if one of my children had been on it with me? What if it had been in the garage and caught our entire garage on fire? I'm sure we would've received the same treatment.

I've done a lot of research on good old Suzuki. They have lists of recalls for FIRE HAZARDOUS issues with ATV'S, motorcycles, cars... you name it. One recall spanned over several years of their King Quad models in reference to a gas tank issue, leading to fires... hmm. What a coincidence! I've read MULTIPLE personal accounts from people who have had to watch their new Suzuki King Quads burn to the ground, same as my father. But it's nothing to do with their crap quality products, right?

I'm sure the pages and pages of complaints against this company and the death traps they put on the road show absolutely nothing about their quality of work. With all that said, I'm completely surprised they no longer sell cars in the USA and why they're filing for bankruptcy! Sense my sarcasm? We are pursuing this wrongful treatment, ignorance of the warranty and will be meeting with an attorney. No one should be treated like this over something they couldn't control.

Original review: April 25, 2016

Bought a brand new 2016 King Quad 400 ASI 4x4, put 20 miles on it and the brakes make a horrible noise because of trash being able to get onto rotors. Makes the vehicle slow down and a possible fire hazard if the brakes get too hot. Cycle City Powersports of Newnan, GA said it is the way the brake rotors are designed and they will not do anything about it. This needs to be recalled and new brake systems need to be put on these vehicles before it causes further damage or harm to anyone.

Original review: April 23, 2016

My parents surprised me with my dream car back in 2012--a white Suzuki Swift. I had been driving it every day to work and to bring my daughter to and from school since then. Some of the issues I have encountered in a span of 4 years are a dead battery, and flat tires. If I'm not mistaken, all four of my tires have already gotten flat and I just had them vulcanized. I noticed that they also quite easily lose air, but I'm not certain if that has something to do with them having been flattened in the past. Another thing is that when I drive through a rough road, the car makes this sort of rattling sound, which leaves me to guess that it has something to do with the shock absorbers. It's just an ugly and unpleasant sound which I wish I don't have to deal with especially when I have other passengers with me. But overall, I'm still happy with my Swift's performance, and I will do what I can to maintain it and make it last long.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2015

Well, I have read about this "Recall" on the input shaft gear on the CVT of my Motorcycle, (Sounds like a Diesel engine @ idle & running.) BUT, no one, Dealers Service Departments, seem to know anything about it. I am a consumer of this product and I feel that if this assembly came apart at 75 mph it could "Lock Up" and be unsafe... could cause an accident. But, I can't even get a hold on anyone in Consumer Affairs, at Suzuki Motors of America, who cares about a consumer, and their Safety Issue. If this is a "Recall", it should be taken care of by a Suzuki, through one of its dealers. I have found an "Updated" Kit avail from Poland, that looks like it was an improvement to the gear with an extended shaft to support the Gear hub.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

I have been trying to pass my State Inspection, but my check engine light has been coming back on regardless of what is becoming costly repairs. I had my mechanic call the dealership (Frank Suzuki) Fort Worth Texas, when I online that this is a problem for many owners. They were less than helpful and seem to have no interest in helping to isolate then eliminate the problem. As far as cars go, I was very happy with it, but if I cannot pass my State Inspection, I have a multi-thousand dollar piece of Junk that I worked hard to get for mine and family and friends needs. I just don't know what to do but I need help!!!

Original review: June 17, 2015

2012 SX4 less than 35,000 miles blew up smoke coming from everywhere. Call Suzuki and they told me that the dealer closed down and the nearest one near me was 100 miles away and they would only pay for 35 miles. I ask why am I having to pay, I didn't move your dealer closed down. Then on top of that they said that I was still under warranty but I have to prove that I did nothing wrong and then they would fix my car. I have owned 2 cars made by them one from 2002 and now this 2012 and I have never had any problems till now. I hate to see how they really treat their customers. All my friends that went to buy their cars will soon be trading them in after this matter. I hope that I never have to deal with these people again.

Original review: April 6, 2015

My boyfriend and I bought a 2012 Suzuki SX4 LE back in June and life was good up until about a week ago. Without any warning lights or sensors coming on the engine seized and smoke started billowing out. Mechanic says the engine is shot due to water pump failure but the car has only 45,000 miles on. Of course our warranty is expired and Suzuki refuses to stand by their product. Will not be buying from Suzuki again.

Original review: March 3, 2015

I discovered two days ago that there were a puddle of water in the rear of my vehicle under the mat at the rear door of my SUV. But no water leaking anywhere else in my my truck. The answer that I got from customer service was the warranty has run out. But this a defect issue because water should not be leaking into your vehicle if it is not a sunroof. I really not a happy customer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

Yes sirs, my dad passed and I had the opportunity to buy the 2005 Suzuki Forenza from the finance co... The vehicle had 8,500 miles at that time. After owning it for 2 to 3 years, the emissions system has failed, not allowing me to register it. I am attempting to iron out the problems with difficulty and of course, the 5 year or 50,000 mile warranty has expired. I have no idea how much money it would take to fix it to be on the road legally. I have had insurance since I was 16... Please, what the heck can I do?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

While driving around corner, transmission range sensor failed. These cars need recalled or a class action lawsuit should be filed. People's life are at risk when they failed. I went off the road because of a safety issue in the 2006 Forenza. Sad to think it was built in America. Why is Suzuki not being held responsible?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

I have had my 2000 Suzuki Vitara for 10 years and now it keeps cutting off while I'm diving. I have taken to the mechanic several times and still same thing - he does not know. When it runs, it runs well - no other real issues. Does anyone have any solutions besides buying another car?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury - My only issue with Suzuki is since they declared bankruptcy, I cannot find OEM parts. I perform all of my own repairs and prefer to use OEM components. Suzuki promised to keep parts in stock - but I didn't trust them and bought about $1200.00 in extra parts. Just recently I installed their 55200-65J23 front brake pads from the spares I had in stock. Then, I tried to find another pair to put back into my stock - I cannot find any Genuine Suzuki Parts. So, I think they lied when they said they would stock parts for several more years. Other than that, I have had a perfect vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

I absolutely love my Suzuki Kizashi but I've had issues with the paint peeling off my car which is very annoying. I take care of my car and to see it chipping off makes me mad. I took my car in for a second time as the front bumper is now peeling and to hear the service man say "well it's chipping because of rocks dinging the bumper". Uh whatever.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2014

I have a SUZUKI Grand Vitara 2010 with 29,000 miles on it. The car run good up to now but I do heard a noise at the front end. Any one around this world has this kind a problem. Tell me please, I do 75% of my maintenance got me crazy. Looks like a something loose or bad shock maybe.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2014

I was looking at buying a car a Suzuki Swift from Motorpoint at Derby, found a nice Suzuki Swift in red 2013 model looked ok. Gave it a test drive. First off, it felt like the gear stick was going to come out of the gear box but it was enough for me to say no. Are all Suzuki cars like that? Shame. My wife liked it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2014

Bought a 2013 kizashi gts and it has been a nightmare. It will not stay aligned and ate a set of tires at 10,000 miles. They put new tires but still will not stay aligned. Stayed at dealer for almost two months waiting on suzuki rep. When a guy was able to meet with us he said with them being bankrupt nothing could be done. He told us nothing wrong and wished he could do something to make it better. After getting car home we looked under car and they had put new parts under it and raised it up!!!! They lied flat out!!!!! 13,500 miles on car and still has an alignment issue. Tires have 3500 miles and wear already showing. Now engine makes a moaning noise and has smelled of antifreeze since we got it!!! Went to try and trade and left just sick. The value has plummeted so much it is not worth much and we owe lots more!!!!! We got taken advantage of not having internet and not knowing about the real deal with suzuki. Will probably have to let car be repossessed and it just stinks. We do not feel a csr jumping all over road is safe for our children to be in.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2014

I bought a new car sx4, newly launched model in Feb 2013, sx4 DDSI DUAL TURBO ENGINE. I bought it on 16 April and the very next day there was an abnormal sound from the shockers of car!! No showroom or mechanic in HIMACHAL PRADESH was able to find the fault. Finally the car was taken to Delhi by me and got the repairs done! After another 25 days it's turbo malfunctioned while on a journey from Dharamshala to Chandigarh!! No road side assistance provided! Even the mechanic was asking more money to just come and check car on scene! The car was towed and left at Maruti service center in Chandigarh! All towing expense were paid by me! As said by the service center the car was rectified and new turbo charger was installed in warranty! The car ran good for another month and finally the engine got seized while driving! Same story repeats, no assistance and towing charges borne by me. But this time in Noida Maruti service center assured that the car will be returned in a week but they took 25 days to find the fault and repair!

I was doing some job related courses at that time in Noida and my course were finished but the car was still under repairs! I went back home and filed a case in consumer court in August end! It is almost a year now but no positive results!! My lawyer is saying that the case is in last stage and will finish next month! Consumer court has ordered to appoint a surveyor/automobile engineer who will inspect the car and report about its present condition! But at the moment I am not able to find any reputed surveyor who has a good background history that he cannot be bribed! I have put a lot of my money in this car and the case. But every month I get the same news that Maruti is not replying for any queries!! Any suggestions will matter!! Plz.

Not sure about Suzuki?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Suzuki Company Information

www.suzuki.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business