Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

159 Monro Muffler Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

My brakes failed on my pick-up and I brought it to Monro. The mechanic/technician worked on it for 3 1/2 hours after closing so that I could get it back. I have never had such a dedicated service effort. I am truly appreciative. In addition, the gentleman was highly experienced and knowledgeable. I feel like my brakes are quite safe now.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I took my Dodge Stratus to the Monro on transit in Depew. They were fantastic. They took the time to get my light working properly. They also checked my car for any other issues. I am completely satisfied with the service I get at this location.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Went to Monro due to a loud grinding noise coming from left front. My guess was a wheel bearing. I had recently had my entire front brakes done at the same location a few weeks prior and wanted to make sure it wasn't due to that. I was correct in my guess and in fact it was a wheel bearing. The work was completed and the bill was $580.00. I was a bit shocked at the cost and decided once I returned home I would research the typical cost for repair. NOT ONE website stated it would be over 400.00. I then proceeded to look up the part cost (I used the part number THEY provided on the bill). The cost at the local Autozone was $169.00, Monro felt the need to charge me... $383.00 for it.

While I understand there is an upcharge that shops apply to parts but this was out of control in my opinion. I NEVER typically complain but I had to return to make sure this wasn't an oversight. (I also found that a set of these bearing cost $350.00) I told the manager that I was there to check the bill. He immediately tried to school me like I'm an idiot on how you cant go by the internet pricing. He said I could go to a parts store and buy the parts significantly cheaper than he could. He stated parts stores upcharge them and that's why it cost so much.

I was a bit offended as to how he spoke to me about all this, as I tried to explain to him that I researched the upcharge issues but Monro then adds its own upcharge. I then went on to discuss the hourly labor charge. I work in an operating room daily... I DONT MAKE what Monro charges for labor. I'm just shocked at just how much they get away with. The manager just shrugged me off and said the price is what it is. So in closing...be prepared to have your wallet fleeced. I will never go back. The one star is because I had to give it something... this site should have negative star system.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My son goes to UB in Buffalo. The starter failed on his 2005 Pont. G-6. He had it towed to Monro. The quote for a new battery (because I was told the connection threads on the battery were stripped. (Was fine last I knew). They had tried to tighten the connection (the service writer stated) and told me it wouldn't. Did the mechanic strip it?) Who knows I'm a hundred miles away from my son. The quote for the Battery was $129.00 (Not bad) and $34.95 to install it! Really! 2- Screws! The quote for the starter was $379 and 1.6 hrs to install it!

On a lift anyone who has ever changed a starter knows it doesn't take almost 2hrs. I can do this in my driveway in 25 minutes. So over $500 for a starter! I priced a new one (and the BEST one Auto zone has, and it was $166). They charged A 2 1/2 time mark-up. $500 DOLLARS IS JUST RIDICULOUS! I questioned the service writer Mark about the pricing and was told these are "suggested retail prices". We all know now how that works. Price Gougers at best!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

They were able to accommodate me right away. They were fast with their diagnosis, as well. They were able to give me a discount as well, and shuttled me to and back from work. They are very thorough and friendly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monro Muffler?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I went to Monro for oil change. They told me my car needed synthetic with only 20000 miles which my mechanic said it did not after I already purchased it. I also went to Monro for front brakes and rotors. They told me with the flush it would be 642 dollars. WTH. I went to my mechanic. They said does not need flush and got the brakes and rotors done for 341. Monro is a RIP OFF. Do not use them. I have had issues with them for a while. Never going again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

On 9/28, I took my car in for a 2nd opinion. The mechanic stated it is likely that the caliper damage was a result of no lubrication added when the brake pads were changed. He said that the other calipers are in good condition... New question, if this was normal wear and/or neglect, wouldn't the other 3 would be in the same condition. He confirmed what I have found in my research as well as what the Monroe manager stated in March (although he now denies). The age of the car and mileage does not support this repair need. Calipers typically do not require replacement until well over 100,000 miles and even then that is if the brake system is not routinely maintenanced- which is clearly not the case with this car. I have called the Customer Service line as requested with no answer or returned call as of yet... I will update this review with their resolution.

I recently had my brake pads replaced and my oil changed in 3 separate visits over the last 6 months, all which included a vehicle inspection. Today, my brake began squeaking, I brought my vehicle in immediately. They informed me that my caliper has seized and that my new brake pad has worn down to nothing, just metal. The repair was quoted at over $300 even though I had purchased lifetime warranty on my pads... This seems strange to me as at my first visit in March, I specifically asked if the calipers were functional or required any service.

The Manager said they were in fine working order and typically do not require anything when the brake pads are serviced routinely. Not to mention, the car has been inspected 2 additonal times (1 time just 2 weeks ago) at this location and nothing was mentioned regarding the caliper or the very worn brake pad? My car is 5 years old, has about 75,000 miles and has had a VERY strict maintenance schedule.

My research has found that calipers are normally good for a couple of hundred thousand miles if the brake system is care for - just as the manager said to me in March but now denies ever saying. I also discovered a couple of sources that say that the piston can be easily torn during a brake pad replacement. I have a couple of questions that I feel would be great for everyone considering this store... Are they really inspecting your car or just blowing through the work so they can turn as many $18 oil changes as possible? Should we feel safe to drive a car they "say" passed their inspection? Did they tear the piston purposely to cause this additional repair so they can make-up the loss on these other cheap basic services?

Do you trust your car with a group of professionals who have no warranty on their work and even less concern for your safety? I contacted Customer Service with hopes to find a resolution and was greeted by the same condescending behavior I had experienced in the store. It is clear that this is their company culture and I would now expect nothing more at any location nationally. I was told I can pay for another inspection as a second opinion and if they find evidence that this damage was at fault to Monroe, he would see if they would reimburse the expense but it was not a guarantee even if at fault...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Friendly and quick! Was greeted in a timely manner and had a few questions about different oils that Bob helped me with. I am leasing my car and thinking of keeping it so he said it would be wise to get the synthetic oil, wasn't pushy on my choice.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I tried to schedule my car to receive service to pass an inspection at a location in upstate NY. Once I got there, one of the employees scolded, yes scolded me, for saying I need an "inspection", when I meant to say "service". I can understand being a little short with customers sometimes (not that it's ok) but to yell at the source of your paycheck? When they're just inquiring into their services? It was so ridiculous it was comical. They also couldn't seem to keep their appointment schedule in order, as I had to make an appointment twice. After the second time, I decided that I don't want people who can't keep a simple appointment calendar working on a complex machine involving my overall safety, like my car. I can't say all Monro locations are like this, but I will never bother to find out.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I am beyond upset with Monro Muffler concerning how I was treated at the location in Albany, New York (store # 3010594). On July 26, 2018 I researched many places in the area to upgrade my exhaust and after reading the website about your warranty I knew Monroe was the place to go. When I called and spoke to the Manager Logan **, he quoted me $100.00 for the labor and parts. I was beyond happy with the reviews and quote so I decided to go with Monro Muffler and I made an appt for that day. I spoke to him about everything and he made me feel confident on my decision. I had my car go in for the service and when completed HOURS (3) later they told me my total was 324.00.

I was shocked and asked why and they stated that it was because there were two exhausts and regardless I now had to pay. However, knowing that it was completed I ended up paying for the labor and parts leaving the location beyond frustrated. Now, nearly two months later, I noticed there is a rattling in my exhaust and it is continuously leaking. I called to make an appt (8/29/2018) and when I got there and spoke to the manager again, **. He told me he would NOT only NOT refund me my money BUT he would charge me for labor of taking the exhaust back to the original stock. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. The website clearly states I would be refunded if not happy with service or the parts AND if they were not working.

Clearly, my exhaust is rattling and leaking and they do not do their job correctly! You have to understand my frustration as I am losing 324.00 dollars to a non-working part on my new vehicle, Dodge Charger SRT. As a customer of Monro, as well as my entire family, I would like you to go by your word. This is false advertisement! Frustrated with the lack of commitment I then wrote to the corporate office in hopes they would help the situation. A week in passing I had no response. On 9/4 my girlfriend, Brooke, then contacted corp customer service Theresa ** and explained the situation and even emailed her a copy of the receipt. She stated she would research everything and get back to me soon.

I got a return call from her on 9/6 asking for permission to have another location contact me to look at the work that was done. I agreed and within minutes Joe (Assistant Manager) of store #35 asked me to come in. I agreed to be there in minutes. When arriving a tech put my car on a lift and not only did Joe, but two techs and a welder looked and agreed that it was poorly done and after hearing the car at run they also agreed to the rattling noise. Joe then had me make an appt to get it fixed. He told us to contact Theresa to ask about a refund and the next steps. On 9/7 Brooke sent her a follow up email as well as 9/10. Theresa has yet to respond. I had my appt on 9/12 and met with the store manager Jim. Now this manager would not fix the issue but wanted to charge me as well.

Again, frustrated, I left the store. Brooke then contacted corporate and left a message then called Jim. Not only did he explain he won't help me out but at one point she was laughed at over the phone. Purely disrespectful to a woman! After a long conversation Jim agreed he would fix the exhaust on 9/14 at 7:30 am. When I arrived he stated that he would only clean up the welding but it won't fix the issue I "claim" to think I have. After two months of running around I've decided to pass my situation onto you in hopes of a refund. Still no return calls/email from corporate.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I went in to have a NY State vehicle inspection, the car only has 22k miles, they told me that the rear brake pads had to be replaced because they were falling apart and delaminating, at a cost of $430.00. I declined, ordered the parts online, and when I took the brakes apart to replace the pads I realized that the brakes were perfect, had not even reached their half life, nowhere did they show signs of delamination or of falling apart, I replaced them anyway and took the old brake pads back to Monroe Muffler.

After my car passed the reinspection I brought in the old pads and asked the manager if he could point out where they were "falling apart" and /or "de-laminating". He could not point out a single thing wrong with the old brake pads. Talk about a scam, had I not known anything about cars, I would have gotten stuck paying $430.00 dollars for nothing.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I need to have my brakes and rotors changed on my car. I say need as I never actually completed my service at Monro. I called, and I asked how much it'd cost for them to replace 4 pads and rotors. Yes, 4. As in 2 in the front, two in the back. 4 wheels, 2 axles. That's important. They told me $400 for everything, including labor, so here I am super thrilled and I drive 12 miles down to the location. This is outstanding, I'm thinking to myself. I get there, I confirm the $400 price tag, and confirm that's for all 4, and I hand over my keys. However, he won't give me that number in writing, which should have been a red flag.

So here I am, walking around town looking for ways to pass the time when I get a phone call. He's telling me that all 4 need done. I'm confused, as anyone would be. After all, we'd agreed 3 times that we were talking about 4 from the beginning. He now tries telling me he needs another $400 for the service because he only quoted me the front... um... What? So I ask how this is the case, and he's now claiming that was $400 per axle, although I had told him earlier that my budget for the entire vehicle was $400 and we could work within that.

Now he's starting to try pushing credit lines on me, expecting me to just put myself into debt over this car. I ask if I can call him back in a few minutes, because I'm sitting in the middle of a restaurant in shock now at the price jump. I call him back and say that I simply can't do that, and I didn't want the service continued. Turns out they already had all 4 wheels off and the brakes/rotors removed. So now here I am, driving around on a car where now brake pads and rotors are grinding differently and are at risk of actually breaking because I was lied to up front. Thanks for the quality service!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Muffler pipe replacement - First quote was $700. I did not approve that. There was no written estimate. I told them I couldn't pay $700. They said they already ordered the part and had the broken pipe off. Then said they'd only charge $500. So they were going to rip off $200. It was a $350 job. Anyone who goes to this place is looking to be overcharged. I call them MoronMuffler for treating customers like this. Can you imagine a world of honest car sales and repair?

Updated on 08/23/2018: Local estimates for exhaust pipe repair did not exceed $300. Even other Monro shops quoted $300. One Monro wanted $139.99. Saratoga Monro wanted $700 for the same work.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Tom and Tim at Monro on Quaker are the best. They got me in within a few minutes of my call about a tire leak. We have used this shop for years for all types of repairs on our cars. Always professional.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Monro in Malone NY: Had tires changed on my 2012 truck and also asked for alignment I left short a lug nut due to mechanic rounding nut. I had to get one on way home at auto parts store 1/4 mile from Monro. They never offered to go get one and had to bring truck back due to steering wheel not being aligned properly and is still off. Lol.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I went to the 1971 Boston Road location in Wilbraham, MA on Friday, March 23rd and had one of the worst experiences in my life at this shop. Jose the manager, was great. Timothy was horrible horrible horrible! I don't think he knew what he was doing because it took him 8 hours to fix one wheel bearing. And the fix was just to order a part. Timothy did not communicate with me at all and only did so after having to get his attention several times. His "explanation" as to why the repair was taking long was because there was a part which refused to come off. Yet around 6pm the idea occurred to him to cut the part and order a new one. And get me out of the shop before they closed at 7pm. It shouldn't have taken 8 hours to figure this "solution" out. Very unprofessional and maybe had he not been taking oil changes in the middle of "trying to get the part loose", my entire day could've been salvaged. VERY disappointed. Will not recommend ever.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I scheduled an oil change for 11:30. At 12:03 I was still sitting in the waiting area. No communication was given as to what the delay was. Finally the car was taken in and during that time the attendant was talking and laughing with someone, not sure if it was a customer or not, but she went into the stall area and behind the desk in the waiting area. He was also back and forth answering the phone. It is now 12:38 and I still sit here. This was just an oil change, no tire rotation. Last time I come here. Very poor customer service. Finally out of there by 12:58. It’s NOT a good day at Monro.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Oil change tire rotation vehicle inspection - Friendly, courteous and informative. I called and they fit me right in, making meeting schedule effortlessly. Never once trying to push me into more service than actually needed. It's hard to find honest service station. Thank you for everything.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I pay for my 18 yr old grandson's vehicle issues, bought him 2 new winter tires at Monro Muffler, with balancing, etc that they must do. Bill came to over $400 - just had a new muffler & pipes put on (Kyle has a Van). Bill came to $436.00 - They do good service Kyle told me, but are Very expensive!!! Unfortunately Kyle (grandson) has all receipts, so I cannot post any info up here - accurate dates, order numbers, etc. I know the approximate months which are recent - and today is Feb 24 2018.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I’d been using Monro for years but mainly for oil changes. I had my older daughter take her car for a set of tires and was pleased with the service. Several weeks ago I take my youngest daughters car to be checked because it’s leaking antifreeze and running hot. The car was kept for several days because, I was told they could not find a leak. Finally I get a call with the quoted cost for repairs totaling $672.59. I was told it needed a thermostat and new radiator. Once the car was finished I pick it up and end up paying a total of $730.19. (I’m sick to my stomach at this point considering the amount of money I’ve spent).

A week goes by and I notice some spots in my driveway which lets me know her vehicle is leaking. So I take it back to Monro and tell them it’s still leaking. When I head back to pick it up, I’m told that it was just something that wasn't tightened properly and that it should be good now. A week goes by then the car starts to overheat again. I have the coolant checked and yes it’s leaking still. So I take it back to Monro a third time and I’m told that they can’t find anything wrong with it. Wtf!!! After I’ve been charged all this $$$$. I will never utilize Monro again nor will they receive any recommendations from me. Your sign in your store clearly states, “we promise to Fix your car right, the first time”. Straight BS!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

The Monro muffler and break on Cochran road would not even look at my vehicle. His exact words, “Come in the garage, see everything I have to do.” I said, “I understand, could you look at it and tell me what you think.” He gave me attitude and said he was too busy. Would never do business with this store and neither should anyone else!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Monro Muffler Gates NY - Had state inspection in May 2017, passed. Then a large raccoon hit my right front tire rim, bumper. Caused damage to my wiper fluid tank that it doesn't hold any wiper juice. Went to a different mechanic. Found that my car should not have passed NYS inspection at all. None of my tires matches. When I bought the car, all tires were matching and now they are not. Definitely am not the 1st person to complain about it.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Caused extensive damage totaling $1003.00 to my vehicle. On 7/24/17 Monro damaged my brake line while trying to change a tire. Suffered complete brake failure immediately while leaving Monro parking lot. Monro is responsible for all damage. Would have rated -0 stars!!!

Updated 09/19/2017: Most horrible customer service staff! I have made numerous attempts to resolve this issue through emails, calls and demand letters, which were all conveniently ignored. They are still completely incapable of providing me with an intelligent, logical and reasonable excuse as to why they are not liable for the $1103.00 broken bake line that occurred at their shop. At this point, they refuse to speak with me and beg me to sue them. MONRO IS A BAD BUSINESS!!!

Original review: July 30, 2017

Had my exhaust system replaced a few two years ago at the Dedham Massachusetts location. Catalytic converter started to fail. Went back and they replaced oxygen sensors. The engine light came back on later. I decided to try the Norwood location. They claimed the ECU needed to be reprogrammed. Upon reading the Technical Service Bulletin I was given was given only applies to cars with manual transmissions. I have an automatic.

Original review: July 18, 2017

My car was at the shop for wheel bearing noise and power steering noise and stiffness repair. After consulting the issue with the shop and based on their guidance I purchased a brand new power steering pump that appeared to be the cause of issue. After I picked up the car I noticed the steering system symptoms, noise and stiffness, are not any better and the system has not been repaired properly. I took the car back to the shop, and they stated that power steering rack is in fact broken. Since I doubted if the power steering pump was actually replaced, or if it was done, the replacement was done properly or not, I asked the shop for the old power steering pump; however, the shop failed to give me the old power steering pump.

I took the car to another reliable shop for expert opinion. They stated that the rack is totally fine and it is the responsibility of the previous shop to ensure the new power steering pump is installed properly (if it was actually replaced at all). They also stated there are many missing bolts and nuts from the previous repair, including power steering reservoir and AC compressor. I contacted Monro Muffler Brake & Service, but unfortunately they haven't responded to my correspondences. The shop did not fix my car and delivered a defective service; I expect them to have my car repaired as soon as possible as they fully charged me for this, and I would appreciate your help with this regard.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I've placed reviews on several sites, but I am terribly dissatisfied with Monro. I am not a person to drag a company down, and understand we all have to make a living. However, Monro doesn't care about how much money you have or how much you need your car. I don't trust them. I ended up with more issues than what I came in with. I went in for a scheduled oil change and recommendations for what is needed for my state inspection. I was told I'd need about $1100 worth of repairs. My car was purchased newly used a year ago. There's no way I need ALL of those repairs. Previous to this I was told I may need brakes in a few months. This time I needed, two new back tires, 4 rotors and front brake pads.

I can understand they have to make profit off of customers, but honestly $105 for brake pads only is VERY steep. I can purchase the brake pads for $25. And the rotors were about $175. I can purchase those for about $45. There's local shops I'd rather be giving my business to anyways. The mechanic working on my car was very rude. I could hear him yelling in the shop using profanity and when my car was finished he didn't acknowledge my gratitude. I'm just highly upset with the customer service provided by Monro. On the home front they act very professional, but internally I feel like they are trained to push sales for incentives. People's vehicles are necessary for going back and forth to work. Don't take your car to them if you want it to keep running!

Original review: June 6, 2017

I got a 2005 Jeep Liberty from a man that worked for Monro Muffler/Brake. It was supposed to have been inspected 2 weeks before I got it on the internet. Turns out it was inspected by the employee. There was no way it would pass. A field rep from the PA State Police came out and checked the jeep and took the sticker because he said it didn't pass inspection. The mileage on the jeep is 118,739 at present and the mileage on the supposedly new inspection sticker says 125,000 miles even. Monro got a flatbed and took the jeep to their Warren PA shop and re inspected it. Now they have a big list of all kinds of things they say it needs to pass inspection that it didn't need a few weeks ago. They are trying to claim their employee did all of the damage AFTER he supposedly inspected the jeep.

I don't think it's right that I had a sticker pulled and now have to pay for all kind of things that won't pass inspection. How can that be right that you count on the inspection stickers to let you know it is safe. They shouldn't let their people inspect their own vehicles when they can just slap a sticker on it to cheat the buyer. This was not all done 2 weeks after he did his self inspection. The PA State Police took my sticker so now I have no vehicle to drive because of Monro letting them get away with this theft. Thank you.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I have been dealing with Monro since 1990. They have "ALWAYS" provided me with expert car care. I have been going to the shop in Waterbury Ct. 1040 Wolcott St. I can't say enough good things about ** (Manager) and his crew. I realize there are some shops out there that are not so honest but this one is not one of them.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I went into the dealership, was greeted by the manager, told him I had ordered 2 new tires from an online website and would like for his shop to install them. He quoted me a price of $22 per tire, I agreed, and asked for a $19.99 oil change as well. I went back 2 days later when tires arrived, they mounted and balanced the tires as agreed, did my oil change, and then proposed that I do a 4 wheel alignment. I told him I had one done about 2 years ago, didn't think I needed one, but asked for a price, he said $89.99.

I thought that was a bit much, being as I already spent exactly what I wanted for the day, so I asked the manager flat out, "Okay, if you can do the 4 wheel alignment for $50 bucks right now, then I'll do it, if not, I have things to do." The manager agreed, said they'd do it for 50, and they did a fine job. So, total cost of everything, $50 for 2 tires installation, $19.99, plus fees for oil change, $26 (ish), plus 50 for an alignment, was around $98.00.

I thought this was very fair, the car drives much better than it did, and the shop did a fine quality of work. I have read some real nightmare reviews, and just be an educated consumer, know your car, what you want to spend, and don't be afraid to walk away if you don't like what you hear. I'll have to say, "Nice job Monro, you took care of my car, and my wallet in a fair, professional manner."

Original review: May 18, 2017

On 05/16/17, I had an appointment with Monro Muffler/Brake located at 1105 Columbus Pike, Shop 340, Delaware, Ohio. I was the only customer in the waiting room, but I still had to wait for nearly an hour for a change of oil and filter. Then the manager told me he could not service my car and that I have to go back to the people who had last changed my car's oil and filter because they had "severely damaged the drain pan plug." The next day I went to Performance-Delaware, whose employees quickly changed my car's oil and filter, but denied there was anything wrong with the drain pan plug. This is the third time I am experiencing trouble with Monro Muffler/Brake. Have I been denied service now because I complained to store management the first two times? Very, very shady!

Updated on 6/17//17 - I wrote a complaint about Monro Muffler/Brake (located at 1105 Columbus Pike, Shop 340, Delaware, Ohio) whose manager had refused to change my car's oil and filter on May 16, 2017, sending me instead back to the auto dealership (Delaware Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Performance) that had performed the previous oil and filter change. My complaint was printed in ConsumerAffairs on June 6, 2017. The company has so far not responded to it. Last week I called Monro about changing my car's transmission fluid.

For several days I phoned about half a dozen times and left my name, telephone number and information about my car with the man answering their phone who told me each time that he can't tell me what the price of a transmission fluid change is until he could check with their store computer. But no one ever called me back. Finally, I got hold of the manager (I think this was the very same person who picked up the phone before) who informed me that it would cost $500 to change my car's transmission fluid. I was shocked to hear his price because in the meantime I had phoned every other auto repair shop in Delaware City and was told that changing my car's transmission fluid would cost less than $200... Can someone please tell me: what on earth is going on at the local Monro Muffler/Brake?!

Monro Muffler Company Information