1.22/5
Based on 148 reviews that contain star ratings

151 Monro Muffler Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I tried to schedule my car to receive service to pass an inspection at a location in upstate NY. Once I got there, one of the employees scolded, yes scolded me, for saying I need an "inspection", when I meant to say "service". I can understand being a little short with customers sometimes (not that it's ok) but to yell at the source of your paycheck? When they're just inquiring into their services? It was so ridiculous it was comical. They also couldn't seem to keep their appointment schedule in order, as I had to make an appointment twice. After the second time, I decided that I don't want people who can't keep a simple appointment calendar working on a complex machine involving my overall safety, like my car. I can't say all Monro locations are like this, but I will never bother to find out.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I am beyond upset with Monro Muffler concerning how I was treated at the location in Albany, New York (store # 3010594). On July 26, 2018 I researched many places in the area to upgrade my exhaust and after reading the website about your warranty I knew Monroe was the place to go. When I called and spoke to the Manager Logan **, he quoted me $100.00 for the labor and parts. I was beyond happy with the reviews and quote so I decided to go with Monro Muffler and I made an appt for that day. I spoke to him about everything and he made me feel confident on my decision. I had my car go in for the service and when completed HOURS (3) later they told me my total was 324.00.

I was shocked and asked why and they stated that it was because there were two exhausts and regardless I now had to pay. However, knowing that it was completed I ended up paying for the labor and parts leaving the location beyond frustrated. Now, nearly two months later, I noticed there is a rattling in my exhaust and it is continuously leaking. I called to make an appt (8/29/2018) and when I got there and spoke to the manager again, **. He told me he would NOT only NOT refund me my money BUT he would charge me for labor of taking the exhaust back to the original stock. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. The website clearly states I would be refunded if not happy with service or the parts AND if they were not working.

Clearly, my exhaust is rattling and leaking and they do not do their job correctly! You have to understand my frustration as I am losing 324.00 dollars to a non-working part on my new vehicle, Dodge Charger SRT. As a customer of Monro, as well as my entire family, I would like you to go by your word. This is false advertisement! Frustrated with the lack of commitment I then wrote to the corporate office in hopes they would help the situation. A week in passing I had no response. On 9/4 my girlfriend, Brooke, then contacted corp customer service Theresa ** and explained the situation and even emailed her a copy of the receipt. She stated she would research everything and get back to me soon.

I got a return call from her on 9/6 asking for permission to have another location contact me to look at the work that was done. I agreed and within minutes Joe (Assistant Manager) of store #35 asked me to come in. I agreed to be there in minutes. When arriving a tech put my car on a lift and not only did Joe, but two techs and a welder looked and agreed that it was poorly done and after hearing the car at run they also agreed to the rattling noise. Joe then had me make an appt to get it fixed. He told us to contact Theresa to ask about a refund and the next steps. On 9/7 Brooke sent her a follow up email as well as 9/10. Theresa has yet to respond. I had my appt on 9/12 and met with the store manager Jim. Now this manager would not fix the issue but wanted to charge me as well.

Again, frustrated, I left the store. Brooke then contacted corporate and left a message then called Jim. Not only did he explain he won't help me out but at one point she was laughed at over the phone. Purely disrespectful to a woman! After a long conversation Jim agreed he would fix the exhaust on 9/14 at 7:30 am. When I arrived he stated that he would only clean up the welding but it won't fix the issue I "claim" to think I have. After two months of running around I've decided to pass my situation onto you in hopes of a refund. Still no return calls/email from corporate.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I went in to have a NY State vehicle inspection, the car only has 22k miles, they told me that the rear brake pads had to be replaced because they were falling apart and delaminating, at a cost of $430.00. I declined, ordered the parts online, and when I took the brakes apart to replace the pads I realized that the brakes were perfect, had not even reached their half life, nowhere did they show signs of delamination or of falling apart, I replaced them anyway and took the old brake pads back to Monroe Muffler.

After my car passed the reinspection I brought in the old pads and asked the manager if he could point out where they were "falling apart" and /or "de-laminating". He could not point out a single thing wrong with the old brake pads. Talk about a scam, had I not known anything about cars, I would have gotten stuck paying $430.00 dollars for nothing.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I need to have my brakes and rotors changed on my car. I say need as I never actually completed my service at Monro. I called, and I asked how much it'd cost for them to replace 4 pads and rotors. Yes, 4. As in 2 in the front, two in the back. 4 wheels, 2 axles. That's important. They told me $400 for everything, including labor, so here I am super thrilled and I drive 12 miles down to the location. This is outstanding, I'm thinking to myself. I get there, I confirm the $400 price tag, and confirm that's for all 4, and I hand over my keys. However, he won't give me that number in writing, which should have been a red flag.

So here I am, walking around town looking for ways to pass the time when I get a phone call. He's telling me that all 4 need done. I'm confused, as anyone would be. After all, we'd agreed 3 times that we were talking about 4 from the beginning. He now tries telling me he needs another $400 for the service because he only quoted me the front... um... What? So I ask how this is the case, and he's now claiming that was $400 per axle, although I had told him earlier that my budget for the entire vehicle was $400 and we could work within that.

Now he's starting to try pushing credit lines on me, expecting me to just put myself into debt over this car. I ask if I can call him back in a few minutes, because I'm sitting in the middle of a restaurant in shock now at the price jump. I call him back and say that I simply can't do that, and I didn't want the service continued. Turns out they already had all 4 wheels off and the brakes/rotors removed. So now here I am, driving around on a car where now brake pads and rotors are grinding differently and are at risk of actually breaking because I was lied to up front. Thanks for the quality service!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Muffler pipe replacement - First quote was $700. I did not approve that. There was no written estimate. I told them I couldn't pay $700. They said they already ordered the part and had the broken pipe off. Then said they'd only charge $500. So they were going to rip off $200. It was a $350 job. Anyone who goes to this place is looking to be overcharged. I call them MoronMuffler for treating customers like this. Can you imagine a world of honest car sales and repair?

Updated on 08/23/2018: Local estimates for exhaust pipe repair did not exceed $300. Even other Monro shops quoted $300. One Monro wanted $139.99. Saratoga Monro wanted $700 for the same work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monro Muffler?

Original review: May 12, 2018

Tom and Tim at Monro on Quaker are the best. They got me in within a few minutes of my call about a tire leak. We have used this shop for years for all types of repairs on our cars. Always professional.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Monro in Malone NY: Had tires changed on my 2012 truck and also asked for alignment I left short a lug nut due to mechanic rounding nut. I had to get one on way home at auto parts store 1/4 mile from Monro. They never offered to go get one and had to bring truck back due to steering wheel not being aligned properly and is still off. Lol.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I went to the 1971 Boston Road location in Wilbraham, MA on Friday, March 23rd and had one of the worst experiences in my life at this shop. Jose the manager, was great. Timothy was horrible horrible horrible! I don't think he knew what he was doing because it took him 8 hours to fix one wheel bearing. And the fix was just to order a part. Timothy did not communicate with me at all and only did so after having to get his attention several times. His "explanation" as to why the repair was taking long was because there was a part which refused to come off. Yet around 6pm the idea occurred to him to cut the part and order a new one. And get me out of the shop before they closed at 7pm. It shouldn't have taken 8 hours to figure this "solution" out. Very unprofessional and maybe had he not been taking oil changes in the middle of "trying to get the part loose", my entire day could've been salvaged. VERY disappointed. Will not recommend ever.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I scheduled an oil change for 11:30. At 12:03 I was still sitting in the waiting area. No communication was given as to what the delay was. Finally the car was taken in and during that time the attendant was talking and laughing with someone, not sure if it was a customer or not, but she went into the stall area and behind the desk in the waiting area. He was also back and forth answering the phone. It is now 12:38 and I still sit here. This was just an oil change, no tire rotation. Last time I come here. Very poor customer service. Finally out of there by 12:58. It’s NOT a good day at Monro.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Oil change tire rotation vehicle inspection - Friendly, courteous and informative. I called and they fit me right in, making meeting schedule effortlessly. Never once trying to push me into more service than actually needed. It's hard to find honest service station. Thank you for everything.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I pay for my 18 yr old grandson's vehicle issues, bought him 2 new winter tires at Monro Muffler, with balancing, etc that they must do. Bill came to over $400 - just had a new muffler & pipes put on (Kyle has a Van). Bill came to $436.00 - They do good service Kyle told me, but are Very expensive!!! Unfortunately Kyle (grandson) has all receipts, so I cannot post any info up here - accurate dates, order numbers, etc. I know the approximate months which are recent - and today is Feb 24 2018.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I’d been using Monro for years but mainly for oil changes. I had my older daughter take her car for a set of tires and was pleased with the service. Several weeks ago I take my youngest daughters car to be checked because it’s leaking antifreeze and running hot. The car was kept for several days because, I was told they could not find a leak. Finally I get a call with the quoted cost for repairs totaling $672.59. I was told it needed a thermostat and new radiator. Once the car was finished I pick it up and end up paying a total of $730.19. (I’m sick to my stomach at this point considering the amount of money I’ve spent).

A week goes by and I notice some spots in my driveway which lets me know her vehicle is leaking. So I take it back to Monro and tell them it’s still leaking. When I head back to pick it up, I’m told that it was just something that wasn't tightened properly and that it should be good now. A week goes by then the car starts to overheat again. I have the coolant checked and yes it’s leaking still. So I take it back to Monro a third time and I’m told that they can’t find anything wrong with it. Wtf!!! After I’ve been charged all this $$$$. I will never utilize Monro again nor will they receive any recommendations from me. Your sign in your store clearly states, “we promise to Fix your car right, the first time”. Straight BS!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

The Monro muffler and break on Cochran road would not even look at my vehicle. His exact words, “Come in the garage, see everything I have to do.” I said, “I understand, could you look at it and tell me what you think.” He gave me attitude and said he was too busy. Would never do business with this store and neither should anyone else!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Monro Muffler Gates NY - Had state inspection in May 2017, passed. Then a large raccoon hit my right front tire rim, bumper. Caused damage to my wiper fluid tank that it doesn't hold any wiper juice. Went to a different mechanic. Found that my car should not have passed NYS inspection at all. None of my tires matches. When I bought the car, all tires were matching and now they are not. Definitely am not the 1st person to complain about it.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Caused extensive damage totaling $1003.00 to my vehicle. On 7/24/17 Monro damaged my brake line while trying to change a tire. Suffered complete brake failure immediately while leaving Monro parking lot. Monro is responsible for all damage. Would have rated -0 stars!!!

Updated 09/19/2017: Most horrible customer service staff! I have made numerous attempts to resolve this issue through emails, calls and demand letters, which were all conveniently ignored. They are still completely incapable of providing me with an intelligent, logical and reasonable excuse as to why they are not liable for the $1103.00 broken bake line that occurred at their shop. At this point, they refuse to speak with me and beg me to sue them. MONRO IS A BAD BUSINESS!!!

Original review: July 30, 2017

Had my exhaust system replaced a few two years ago at the Dedham Massachusetts location. Catalytic converter started to fail. Went back and they replaced oxygen sensors. The engine light came back on later. I decided to try the Norwood location. They claimed the ECU needed to be reprogrammed. Upon reading the Technical Service Bulletin I was given was given only applies to cars with manual transmissions. I have an automatic.

Original review: July 18, 2017

My car was at the shop for wheel bearing noise and power steering noise and stiffness repair. After consulting the issue with the shop and based on their guidance I purchased a brand new power steering pump that appeared to be the cause of issue. After I picked up the car I noticed the steering system symptoms, noise and stiffness, are not any better and the system has not been repaired properly. I took the car back to the shop, and they stated that power steering rack is in fact broken. Since I doubted if the power steering pump was actually replaced, or if it was done, the replacement was done properly or not, I asked the shop for the old power steering pump; however, the shop failed to give me the old power steering pump.

I took the car to another reliable shop for expert opinion. They stated that the rack is totally fine and it is the responsibility of the previous shop to ensure the new power steering pump is installed properly (if it was actually replaced at all). They also stated there are many missing bolts and nuts from the previous repair, including power steering reservoir and AC compressor. I contacted Monro Muffler Brake & Service, but unfortunately they haven't responded to my correspondences. The shop did not fix my car and delivered a defective service; I expect them to have my car repaired as soon as possible as they fully charged me for this, and I would appreciate your help with this regard.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I've placed reviews on several sites, but I am terribly dissatisfied with Monro. I am not a person to drag a company down, and understand we all have to make a living. However, Monro doesn't care about how much money you have or how much you need your car. I don't trust them. I ended up with more issues than what I came in with. I went in for a scheduled oil change and recommendations for what is needed for my state inspection. I was told I'd need about $1100 worth of repairs. My car was purchased newly used a year ago. There's no way I need ALL of those repairs. Previous to this I was told I may need brakes in a few months. This time I needed, two new back tires, 4 rotors and front brake pads.

I can understand they have to make profit off of customers, but honestly $105 for brake pads only is VERY steep. I can purchase the brake pads for $25. And the rotors were about $175. I can purchase those for about $45. There's local shops I'd rather be giving my business to anyways. The mechanic working on my car was very rude. I could hear him yelling in the shop using profanity and when my car was finished he didn't acknowledge my gratitude. I'm just highly upset with the customer service provided by Monro. On the home front they act very professional, but internally I feel like they are trained to push sales for incentives. People's vehicles are necessary for going back and forth to work. Don't take your car to them if you want it to keep running!

Original review: June 6, 2017

I got a 2005 Jeep Liberty from a man that worked for Monro Muffler/Brake. It was supposed to have been inspected 2 weeks before I got it on the internet. Turns out it was inspected by the employee. There was no way it would pass. A field rep from the PA State Police came out and checked the jeep and took the sticker because he said it didn't pass inspection. The mileage on the jeep is 118,739 at present and the mileage on the supposedly new inspection sticker says 125,000 miles even. Monro got a flatbed and took the jeep to their Warren PA shop and re inspected it. Now they have a big list of all kinds of things they say it needs to pass inspection that it didn't need a few weeks ago. They are trying to claim their employee did all of the damage AFTER he supposedly inspected the jeep.

I don't think it's right that I had a sticker pulled and now have to pay for all kind of things that won't pass inspection. How can that be right that you count on the inspection stickers to let you know it is safe. They shouldn't let their people inspect their own vehicles when they can just slap a sticker on it to cheat the buyer. This was not all done 2 weeks after he did his self inspection. The PA State Police took my sticker so now I have no vehicle to drive because of Monro letting them get away with this theft. Thank you.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I have been dealing with Monro since 1990. They have "ALWAYS" provided me with expert car care. I have been going to the shop in Waterbury Ct. 1040 Wolcott St. I can't say enough good things about ** (Manager) and his crew. I realize there are some shops out there that are not so honest but this one is not one of them.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I went into the dealership, was greeted by the manager, told him I had ordered 2 new tires from an online website and would like for his shop to install them. He quoted me a price of $22 per tire, I agreed, and asked for a $19.99 oil change as well. I went back 2 days later when tires arrived, they mounted and balanced the tires as agreed, did my oil change, and then proposed that I do a 4 wheel alignment. I told him I had one done about 2 years ago, didn't think I needed one, but asked for a price, he said $89.99.

I thought that was a bit much, being as I already spent exactly what I wanted for the day, so I asked the manager flat out, "Okay, if you can do the 4 wheel alignment for $50 bucks right now, then I'll do it, if not, I have things to do." The manager agreed, said they'd do it for 50, and they did a fine job. So, total cost of everything, $50 for 2 tires installation, $19.99, plus fees for oil change, $26 (ish), plus 50 for an alignment, was around $98.00.

I thought this was very fair, the car drives much better than it did, and the shop did a fine quality of work. I have read some real nightmare reviews, and just be an educated consumer, know your car, what you want to spend, and don't be afraid to walk away if you don't like what you hear. I'll have to say, "Nice job Monro, you took care of my car, and my wallet in a fair, professional manner."

Original review: May 18, 2017

On 05/16/17, I had an appointment with Monro Muffler/Brake located at 1105 Columbus Pike, Shop 340, Delaware, Ohio. I was the only customer in the waiting room, but I still had to wait for nearly an hour for a change of oil and filter. Then the manager told me he could not service my car and that I have to go back to the people who had last changed my car's oil and filter because they had "severely damaged the drain pan plug." The next day I went to Performance-Delaware, whose employees quickly changed my car's oil and filter, but denied there was anything wrong with the drain pan plug. This is the third time I am experiencing trouble with Monro Muffler/Brake. Have I been denied service now because I complained to store management the first two times? Very, very shady!

Updated on 6/17//17 - I wrote a complaint about Monro Muffler/Brake (located at 1105 Columbus Pike, Shop 340, Delaware, Ohio) whose manager had refused to change my car's oil and filter on May 16, 2017, sending me instead back to the auto dealership (Delaware Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Performance) that had performed the previous oil and filter change. My complaint was printed in ConsumerAffairs on June 6, 2017. The company has so far not responded to it. Last week I called Monro about changing my car's transmission fluid.

For several days I phoned about half a dozen times and left my name, telephone number and information about my car with the man answering their phone who told me each time that he can't tell me what the price of a transmission fluid change is until he could check with their store computer. But no one ever called me back. Finally, I got hold of the manager (I think this was the very same person who picked up the phone before) who informed me that it would cost $500 to change my car's transmission fluid. I was shocked to hear his price because in the meantime I had phoned every other auto repair shop in Delaware City and was told that changing my car's transmission fluid would cost less than $200... Can someone please tell me: what on earth is going on at the local Monro Muffler/Brake?!

Original review: May 12, 2017

My battery saver mode light came on in my Dodge Journey and usually means a bad alternator which would of been covered under warranty. They said it was a battery not covered, 369.00. One day later light came on again and they found it to be the alternator. I don't believe for a minute that there was anything wrong with the battery because when it goes into battery saver mode it's running strictly on battery power. Well if the battery is bad then how could it still run but eventually it wouldn't start because the alternator wasn't charging it. So I believe they took me for 369.00, plus 100.00 for a deductible the next day to replace the alternator. They think we are stupid and shouldn't be trusted.

Also to add Aeverex warranty company is also one to stay away from. Not sure after the fact how I can prove whether the battery was really bad or not. It just don't add up. Plus the warranty company are the ones that sent me to Monroe so I think that they should cover the battery replacement but they are refusing to do so.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Took my jeep in cause of a noise. They told me that it needed a pulley so I said ok. Well it still made noise so they said steering pump. "That should do it," they said so I said ok. When I called they said it wasn't the steering pump so they put old one back on so they only charging for the pulley. Ok that's 130 dollars. Send my wife to get the jeep cause I was at work. They tell her it's 373. They put an alternator on. My wife try calling but couldn't answer so she paid the money. No one said anything about an alternator till she got down there so we didn't give consent for that so why do it. So when I get home I look and it's not a new alternator. They just said it was to get more money. I try call down there they put me on hold and never come back to phone.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I will never return to this shop or recommend anyone to have auto repairs done at the Glenolden Pa location. The technician said I need a heater hose assembly. It took a week to get the part and they had my car for 2 days. When I received my car back it smelled like antifreeze. The following morning while on my way to work the car ran hot on me. The car filled with smoke on the inside which has never occurred before. I had to have it towed back to the shop. I went to pick it up the next day and was told the brackets holding the heater assembly were defective. Well my car still smelled of antifreeze. I was thinking because the car filled with smoke that was the reason more so for the strong odor.

I have coolers in the floor to store beverages in my Dodge Journey. I went to lift up the hatch of the cooler and there was antifreeze in both coolers. More than a gallon in each. I went back to the shop and showed it to the manager. He said there was a gap in the heater hose so all the fluid leaked under the carpet and into the coolers. They wanted to keep my car and take the seats out and clean all the fluid under the carpet. I didn't trust them to do that. I called corporate to file a complaint and asked to speak to a district manager. I never received a callback. Instead I was told I dropped my car off like that. No I did not. My car didn't smell like antifreeze when I dropped it off and Monro created more problems.

I lost a day of wages and paid to have my car towed back to their shop. My car needs to be detailed inside because of fluid. If they let my car run for a hour to make sure it wasn't running hot why didn't they notice the strong odor of fluid before returning my car back to me. I trusted these guys because I always let them do my oil changes. I am not a satisfied customer. To not receive a call back from corporate to rectify my complaint is dissatisfying. Shame on you Monro.

Original review: April 9, 2017

First off I want to state Ive been a mechanic on my own 30+ years. Bikes, cars, trucks. Recently while driving my drive shaft universal joints failed. (Age mileage) I didn't have the time myself to fix it so I stopped at Monro. They have lift tools. Be, quick and, easy. I already called for part prices at advance auto. 2 universals $19.96. Met with store manager. Explained my u joints were bad and needed replacement. He asked me how I knew this. I said, "I checked them." He said, "This could be expensive. Maybe $200." I said, "Just change the bad one. I'll do the other later myself to save time and money." I had to leave my truck. "Would take all day." He said.

I called 3 hours later to be told that my front tire was in bad shape and needed all new tires @ 500 then I was told that all the u joints needed replacement and I was looking at $300. I would need to wait till Monday to even work on it. I took truck back to my friend's garage. Jacked truck up. 10 minutes drive shafts out. Replaced both u joints not 1 in 20 minutes but drive shaft back in truck 5 minutes on ground. $19.96 parts, 35 minutes labor. This guy wanted to hit me for $300 big job. (Stay away) Always get second or third opinion.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I made an appointment for 4 o'clock. They said, “That's too late to do any work.” I said, “OK 3 then?” “OK we'll see you then.” I showed up at 3. Waited nearly 10 minutes for someone to come to the desk. I'm handicapped so waiting around is tough. By 4:35 my car still hadn't moved, I can't be overlooked with being the only person waiting and had a cane. I took my keys back and went to Meineke down the street without an appointment. I was seen immediately and treated kindly and respectfully. Monro of New London is one of the worst companies I've dealt with. Absolutely no concern for doing a mediocre job much less a good one. Every person in that place is mentally checked out. STAY AWAY! Get some new management. This "business" needs to be out of business.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Wanted to warn people of the negligent and incompetent mechanics at Monro. Had power steering problems and refused to go back to Monro even though the power steering rack was under warranty. I found that out when I called to see when it had been done which was in 2015. It was a slow loss of steering and it was not until I actually had it fixed somewhere else did I find out it could have been deadly. I confronted Monro and tech was antagonistic and rude. I brought a detailed bill from where I had the car fixed and the tech was supposed to fax to district office and then in turn to corporate. This was yesterday Feb 21.

Have not heard yet but I also have their phone number. Mechanic never really fully attached the rack and slowly I lost appropriate ability to steer. It was leaking so badly I also needed a new pump. Plus they put the wrong fluid in the system. I am stressed and angry. To be treated so cruelly is so unprofessional. Knocking the company that fixed my car. Tech said, "And by the way we are under new management and the techs from back then are no longer here." How stupid to say that. I will call corporate if they don't call me. I want from them what it cost me to fix somewhere else. Hopefully I don't have to sue to get it.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I took my car to Monro Muffler Brake at the Clark summit shop for gas smell problem. The car was taken in and I was told that they would diagnose the problem and let me know. A day pass by no one from the shop calls, I had to call to get the status. They reply, "We couldn't get to the car." Next day no call. I had to drive to the shop to check, same answer could not get to the car. The car sits there for 3 days and no one had time to look, if they had so much work or mechanic shortage they should have told me to bring the car back after few days.

Finally, on the 4th day I get a call from the garage. They told me that they did not find anything and suspect it's the gas tank and they will have to drop the back of the car to get to the tank and the labor for that is $350. I told them to proceed, later I get a call from the shop saying that there is indeed a leak in the tank and it would need to be replaced and they told me the price of the tank is $700, and the total after taxes and labor would be around $1200 (700 + 350 + tax) (at this point they only tell me it's the gas tank and no other repairs), I asked them to wait for further instruction. They knew the customer is now a hostage and they could ask for any amount as a ransom!!!

I checked the local stores and Honda dealers for the gas tank prices, the prices I found was way less than they were asking for. 2 local Honda dealers told me the price was $505. Advanced Auto Parts had it for $199 Amazon the same price $199. I called them and asked them why they are charging me $700 almost 4 times more than the local store. The manager told me that the best he could do was $500 and this was when he heard that Honda dealer price was $505 for the tank.

I contacted the corporate office and complained about the rip-off. The girl (KIM) at corporate office told me that she will check on what is going on and did tell me that they have a price match policy. So I shopped around and went to Pep Boys and they told me the price of the tank is $270 + labor, Firestone quoted me around $350 + labor. Because of the price match guarantee I asked them to replace the tank, on the phone the manager (Dave) tells me to come and pick a copy of invoice.

On the invoice they had reduced the price of the tank to $404 but added another repair charge for changing the left strut that was for $250. When I argued that "This was never told when you called with the estimate of $1200" the excuse that Dave gave me was that he was off that day and he texted the price to one of the mechanics or Assistant Manager who later called me with the estimate. I asked, "aren't these things saved on the computer," and couldn't he have gone to the computer to check the quote instead of "you texting the price, for this" he again gave another inappropriate excuse/lie. I told him not to fix/replace the strut and he said he has to do it. He won't be able to get the car out without that.

So basically they had already decided that they were going to charge me $1200 for the repair no matter what, even if they have to show some unnecessary/unwanted problems in the car. When I went to pick the car and asked for price match I got $30 back as price match. I paid $1004 when I got the car back.

Corporate office is as much involved in ripping the customers as the garage, instead of reprimanding the garage for cheating the customers they are advocating them to continue with these unethical practices. I talked to KIM and her supervisor McKenzie. Both of them said that I owe them $190 as I only paid $1004 for the repairs and I got 2 things done for a lower price than I was actually quoted, really!!! Well tell me McKenzie, If I owed you $190 then why the heck did you refund me another $31.72??? You are in business because of the customers.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I had my oil changed at Monro in Albany NY. I drove the car to Buffalo NY and Rochester NY. Drove car with my daughter and granddaughter. I thought I smelled gas. Five days later my husband met us in Rochester. Upon recognizing the odor, he looked under the hood. Cap was left off when mechanic changed oil. Took the car to a Monro in Penfield. The mechanic there was helpful. He cleaned up the oil spills on engine and floor of car and added more oil. He stressed how harmful it would have been if we had driven the car any further. (Much more so if I had tried to drive back to Albany!)

I called Mr Gross and Mr VanHeel at headquarters but they refused to admit that I had a reason to be concerned. The most they could offer was a free oil change. They did not recognize the stress it caused when I thought of being in an accident with my granddaughter or having an accident on the Thruway. I will never go to Monro again and will tell my account to everyone I know.

Monro Muffler Company Information