3.0/5 (577 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Monro Muffler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monro Muffler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monro Muffler?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

If I could give zero stars I would. After bringing in my newly purchased vehicle for oil and transmission and brake work on a early morning Friday in the summer, told it would be complete by early afternoon. Numerous calls was told by 6:00 pm it would be ready, I then waited another 40 minutes left the lot got down the road to a chugging car making noise (not how the vehicle went in) pulled over pulled the dip stick to find the oil level way over the fill amount. Tried calling the Monro store #35 which was closed, the store manager claims to have called us back that evening, no message left so that could not be verified.

We were due to be in Virginia for our son to take care of something for his deployment, and then onto Florida, we instead were back at Monro at 7:15 am before the store opened at 7:30 am with the extra 2 QUARTS OF OIL we had to siphon out that was put in the car, instead of doing the job, all that was done was a new filter and 2 extra quarts of oil on top of the old oil. If we had taken our necessary trip we would have foamed the engine and our newly purchased vehicle destroyed.

After meeting with Brett the store manager who confirmed that this was the case, told us that he would have to fire the individual because the claim the oil was changed which it was not, at which time we asked the tech to not be fired instead use as a teaching moment. Brett promised that we would receive a FULL refund of the WHOLE JOB to the amount of over $700, 2-hours later on Saturday we finally had our vehicle back, because of fraudulent work done, a 7 hour delay to our trip, we missed being where we were needed.

Brett told us we would see the full amount credited within 3-days, he was dishonest however going back on his word (lesson learned always get it in writing), when a call was placed a week later after no refund, instead we were told that he did not have the authority to give us a credit, so dishonest, and that he could only refund the oil change, this was also NOT credited. After a dispute with our credit card company two calls to corporate and over a month and half later, finally a refund of only the oil change. We will never recommend Monro, however we will warn all we know what a fraud this company is, how dishonest Monro is and at all levels from the management right up to the corporate level who have no care for customer or customer service or the harm they cause.

Original review: July 28, 2022

STAY AWAY FROM THEM. So a few days back Sunday I took my car in Toyota 2007 RAV4 because oil was leaking. The guy in the glasses named ALEX told me the valve cover and oil pan gasket need changing and it would be approximately 600$. I said yes cause I needed the car on the day. Few hours later ALEX called me saying I need a new valve cover because the old one was damaged. He informed me that I can get one myself and take it there or I can get it from them and pay 900$ approximately. So I decided to get one online. I asked if I could drive the car and he said it's safe to drive. So I ordered the valve cover online for 100$ and some hours later my dad picked my car up and drove to home approx 1 minute ride.

Next day I turned on the car and the sound of the engine was loud. I drove it for approx 2 minutes and my car died. Went walking to the store and told them what happened. They informed me it's the valve cover and I should get AAA myself and they didn't care that I didn't have a car. Thursday 21st of July 2022 I took the valve cover and gasket so they put in on. Later that day I get a phone call by ALEX saying that my car now needs a engine timing and I should take it to another mechanic because they are incapable of doing it. My response was that they have to pay for the fix since they broke the engine in the first place., then asked to talk to the manager and I was told he was informed and didn't care.

Next day and after leaving a bad review I got a call from the manager named JOSH. Long story short he told me that it's the car's fault that the engine is ruined and he can't do anything for a loyal customer. After our conversation and understanding that MONRO ROCKY HILL DOESN'T CARE FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS. I had a mechanic check my car. The results was the engine was destroyed and also THE OIL LEAK WAS STILL HAPPENING. I called one last time trying to figure out what was their protocol for cases like mine and they said THEY DON'T HAVE A PROTOCOL IN CASE THEY MESS UP THEIR CUSTOMER'S CAR.

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I generally go to Monro to have repairs that I am unable to perform myself. Most times just for Oil Changes (DIY is just as expensive because a quart of oil is not cheap, the time to perform an oil change yourself, easier to go to Monro with a coupon) and the annual NY State Vehicle Safety Inspection. I've been a regular customer for about 12 years going to the same shop. The reason why I go to Monro is I have personally known one of the mechanics for over 25 years. For actual repairs, Monro boosts the price of parts roughly up to 40 percent considering you can obtain the same part at Advanced Auto, AutoZone, or other auto part stores.

Labor cost is reasonable when compared to Dealership costs. However, Monro does find ways to squeeze more cash out of you even when the Manager says they have saved you money. I feel as if for every $100 I spend that somehow Monro adds another $20. The mechanics really don't get paid as much as you think and are expected to multi-task and work hard. Monro Muffler is not the best repair shop but they do get your vehicle fixed with average-quality parts.

The warranty only covers certain parts and never covers labor costs which is the ripoff point. Pay twice what the part originally cost so Monro never loses money when you return in a couple of years providing you still own the same vehicle that they worked on. Since most of us cannot afford to go to a dealership, Monro is not terrible but do not expect to get OEM - originally factory parts installed. If your vehicle is under the Manufacturer's or dealership's warranty, please go to the dealership so your warranty does not become voided. Yeah! We are always paying. Automobiles are the worst investment anyone can make.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I took my car in for a alignment at noon. Waited a hour and half to be told I needed a tye rod end before it was able to be fixed. Mind you a tye rod for my car is 29.99. I decided to let them fix it, although I can do it myself but my vacation is soon and I wanted it done now. They call and tell me my car is done at 4, I pay 250$ and drive off their lot to a horrible tilt of my steering wheel and pull to the right and when I turned corners the car literally jumped. I turned around and took it right back.

The car was in way worse shape than it was, a very slight pull to right when I took it. They worked on it and test drive it twice before it was ok enough for them to say it's done. It's tighter now, no more bounce but still has a pull but now it's to the left. Sooo. Wth. At least they could have offered me a discount for my time considering the part was not that expensive as they charged me for it. I will be looking under it in the morning to make sure the tye rod is new or I will be filing a lawsuit claim. I don't recommend their services.

Original review: June 28, 2021

I recently had an oil change at Monroe in Oneida, NY. They were supposed to rotate tires, they did not and the car was down a quart of oil. Went back the following day, they said we were not down a quart and tires didn't need rotating. We watched them put more oil in and tires should have been rotated. We have been shorted a quart of oil the last three visits and this will be our last.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

We took our 1998 Lexus ES300 to Monro after it was diagnosed with misfires. We were told they would do a tune up and it would take 3 hours and cost $500. It took only 1 1/2 hours and all they did was change spark plugs, they did NOT have to remove the manifold to reach them which is why (they told us) it only took 1 1/2 hours. $500 was far too much to pay for NOT EVEN platinum spark plugs, and no other services. They did NOT give us a detailed receipt. When we complained about the "tune up" not including anything but plugs and taking half as long as we were told, we were told "we signed a release" so they did nothing wrong. Do not trust this company.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Terrible experience. Shady business practice. Will not own up to their mistakes. DO NOT TAKE YOUR VEHICLE HERE! Left me with a $900 repair bill, they refuse to pay for damages they did to my car, during a simple repair process. Read the BBB complaints, I’m not the first or the last. Do not let it be you.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I have gone to Monro Muffler many times, usually for inspections and oil changes. I have gotten tires there also. They are not cheap, but they are reasonable. They do good work in timely manner. They are always friendly to me. It is also nice that they are so close to my house and my work. Other services you might want to do further research on, but most dealers are expensive! Sometimes a car isn't worth repairing. If your car is in good shape, I recommend going there for inspections and oil changes.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Took my mother's car in because I had just been out on some gravel roads and was having some engine vibration in reverse. Ethan, their manager, told me I needed 4 motor mounts and the cost would be between $1200 and $2000. I doubted this and took the car to an actual mechanic - not one who learned to change oil during a 15 minute computer training.

Mechanic tells me there is a rock stuck between the center engine mount and the car. $80 bucks and it's fixed. Monro tried to rip off a senior citizen. Here we are in the midst of a pandemic, everyone is short on cash, and my mother, 75, on a very fixed income, was almost ripped off by Monro. I called to complain and was told by Ethan to "Come down and complain to his face." STEER CLEAR IF YOU LIKE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: April 6, 2020

The job was way overpriced. A part I could have bought at retrail for $400.00 Monro charged me $700.00. All the other parts were also priced awfully high. The work done was good though. I talked to corporate office to no avail. I would never recommend Monro for repairs.

Monro Muffler Company Information