Find an Auto Service and Repair partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Monro Muffler Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monro Muffler?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monro Muffler?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

We took our 1998 Lexus ES300 to Monro after it was diagnosed with misfires. We were told they would do a tune up and it would take 3 hours and cost $500. It took only 1 1/2 hours and all they did was change spark plugs, they did NOT have to remove the manifold to reach them which is why (they told us) it only took 1 1/2 hours. $500 was far too much to pay for NOT EVEN platinum spark plugs, and no other services. They did NOT give us a detailed receipt. When we complained about the "tune up" not including anything but plugs and taking half as long as we were told, we were told "we signed a release" so they did nothing wrong. Do not trust this company.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Terrible experience. Shady business practice. Will not own up to their mistakes. DO NOT TAKE YOUR VEHICLE HERE! Left me with a $900 repair bill, they refuse to pay for damages they did to my car, during a simple repair process. Read the BBB complaints, I’m not the first or the last. Do not let it be you.

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Took my mother's car in because I had just been out on some gravel roads and was having some engine vibration in reverse. Ethan, their manager, told me I needed 4 motor mounts and the cost would be between $1200 and $2000. I doubted this and took the car to an actual mechanic - not one who learned to change oil during a 15 minute computer training.

Mechanic tells me there is a rock stuck between the center engine mount and the car. $80 bucks and it's fixed. Monro tried to rip off a senior citizen. Here we are in the midst of a pandemic, everyone is short on cash, and my mother, 75, on a very fixed income, was almost ripped off by Monro. I called to complain and was told by Ethan to "Come down and complain to his face." STEER CLEAR IF YOU LIKE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: April 6, 2020

The job was way overpriced. A part I could have bought at retrail for $400.00 Monro charged me $700.00. All the other parts were also priced awfully high. The work done was good though. I talked to corporate office to no avail. I would never recommend Monro for repairs.

Original review: March 27, 2020

They never try to overcharge...Quality is great, professional and consistent with the care of my car.. Oil changes are quick. They look over your car for safety issues. Always giving recommendations but dont put you to do it aggressively.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I went to the Saratoga Springs MONRO AUTO SERVICE and Tire Center for an inspection. I had been there before, and it seemed to have a good reputation. I was told I needed front struts, and an amount of money was written on a paper. NOTE: I had no idea how much they cost, but PRIUS parts are expensive. After 6 hrs there, I ended up getting 4 Tires 100 apiece, and KELLY Tires are listed for 70 apiece cheaper for 4. An alignment for 170 when I have a bill for the same for 80???? The 2 strut were almost 600.0 plus LABOR!!!! Needless to say I walked out almost 1800 less on my credit cards! NOW, upon reading the back of the bill-it states those KELLY tires if under 500 or less than a month. Which is both.. So, hopefully, I can calmly get my old tires back on/which were not illegally worn. THIS IS A RIP OFF! Monro is commission so I was chosen as their prime loser of money to pad their pockets!

Original review: March 7, 2020

Have been taking my vehicles to the Hard Rd Columbus Ohio location for over 10 years. I always trusted them. Took my car in to have lifetime brake pads replaced under warranty, which I had done 3 years prior. Was told I would pay labor $125.00 an hour just as I did last time. New rules now and paying 40.00 to bleed and another 1/2 hour labor. Making free pads over 240.00. 3 years ago got pads and rotors for 260.00. Told I got “ripped off” by service attendant on 3 year old bill. Said his quote is what the computer says and that’s all he can do. Called same company at a different location and they said they would put pads on for 125.00.

I went and purchased my own pads voiding lifetime warranty (which I’m told is now only good for 2 years) and had them put on for 125.00 at another location. I have 2 more vehicles with this same warranty and am sure I will have this issue again in the future. Asked to have contact info for district manager and told I could not have that info. Got a quote on a sensor repair from same location of 560,00. Checked with another location and quoted 100.00 less. Very obvious price inconsistency and dishonest representation of services. Beware!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I’ve dealt with them twice now within the last year, (only because I had to) I would never choose to take my vehicle there because I'm clearly not the only person that’s had terrible experiences with this business, the abundance of bad reviews speak for themselves. Both times the manager, “Carlton **” was extremely poor mannered, sarcastic, and rude.

My most recent experience was with my girlfriends car inspection. She needed two new tires but he claimed he could only sell her four. Even though one tire was brand new. So she’d HAVE TO purchase 4 tires and only use 2. Along with being extremely unhelpful with choosing options for purchasing tires, he asked if she needed them aligned. Neither of us know a lot about cars so she said “I’m not sure. What would you recommend”. This guy literally responded abruptly and sarcastically with “I don’t know. It’s whatever you want”. He ended up giving us two options, a 20 dollar one which included the bare minimum and a 30 dollar one that “claimed” to include free replacement, free rotation, etc. She ended up deciding to go with the 20 dollar option, but he said she needed to purchase some kind of warranty that would cover replacing the tire if something happened to it, which would be an extra 17 dollars.

So, if you’re still reading and can do simple math 20+17=37. Which ultimately would make the 30 dollar FREE TIRE REPLACEMENT, FREE ROTATION AND BALANCE, ETC the better option. I tried to explain to this man, but he cut me off, raised his voice and said “knock off the attitude”. I clearly embarrassed him for proving his incompetence and in response he proved his lack of customer service.

So if you’re ever interested in joining any form of mechanic labor, know how to do simple math, and have some (not even a lot) people skills, you can successfully say you have more qualifications than Carlton ** the MANAGER of Monro Auto Service. I didn’t purchase any tires, if you’re wondering. This man's lack of professional skills could stop him from giving away something entirely free, no one would want to do business with him. I can confidently say, Monro would have more cars in their garage if they unemployed Mr. **. I will never even entertain the thought of doing business with this place, and neither will any of my friends or family. Monro Corporation should be ashamed to have hired such an intolerable employee.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Went to Amsterdam, NY, Monroe Muffler & Brakes on Tuesday, because my brake pedal went all the way to floor & the brake warning light on dash appeared, when I was leaving home. The manager was very professional & knowledgeable. He gave me a reasonable estimate to repair the problem, which was a leaking brake line. I agreed & the manager & techs began work shortly. When the repair was completed my bill was exactly the same as the estimate. I was very happy with the repair. So far, two days later - no problems. Amsterdam, NY's Monroe mgr & techs were professional, polite, & answered my questions. Thank you Amsterdam, NY Monroe Muffler & Brakes for your outstanding service!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I'm very pleased with the service I received. I had to have my front brakes replaced and the manager, Chris **, was very helpful and detailed in explaining what needed to be done. He gave me a feeling of confidence and as a result I trusted him. In addition the final cost was reasonable. So, all in all Monro Muffler is very fortunate to have such a professional person working for them. Congratulations.

Monro Muffler Company Information