Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.35/5
Based on 166 reviews that contain star ratings

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

169 Monro Muffler Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Thieves, bottom line. 1st the quote was $900 plus. Then after return phone call and he would take off a couple parts, a caliper perhaps, $600 Plus, along with the much needed air filter he stated very clearly "it goes on top of your engine, and yours is way dirty". Really?!! 3 blocks up the Road, I had just had Valvoline change the oil and the air filter on my Very Beloved Truck. Should I ask Valvoline how dirty is the filter I just watched them replace! Not to mention, the damage they did to my truck after they didn't get to sell me a new front end.

It looks like they may have turned into the bay and hit the side view mirror (Casing is cracked with grease hand prints like they looked at it), and scraped something, black marks along the passenger door almost like grease but will not wipe off. Ironically, I had just picked truck up from Northside Collision in Liverpool. The passenger side door, emblem, front fender, 3 bumpers, headlight and grill had all just been replaced from an accident. I also had them install running bars. I looked over the truck very carefully with the manager from Northside. Sparkled! He was proud of their work! I admired the wonderful job they had done as well. So I know.. for sure... there was not a mark, not a crack, clean without defect when dropped off on Saturday 02/16.

After the quote, the sir filter etc.. I asked for a ride over to get my truck. When I showed up, my truck was still on the lift, all tires off. I let Manager at Desk, BJ, know I could not afford that work. He left office out to bay area, must have told them to put truck back together. While I waited for truck to come off left, I was concerned but figured, just wanted to get out of there. No other customers at the time. My truck was lowered and pulled out front. The drivers side faced me in the office. As I waited to get my "free Brake Inspection Paperwork", a customer did come in to pay an pick up his vehicle. He too did not have any service done other than inspection, he did pay for his New Air Filter... oh funny! NOT. Shame Shame - Karma!!

Anyway, I took my paperwork and hopped in my truck, drove 1 mile home, backed in my driveway. When I walked near passenger side of truck, I just looked in disbelief. I feel completely violated. I have photos to post but do not see a place here for that. I have posted a complaint on Monro Facebook Page with review, was noted to call the Customer Service Person who never answers, just leave a voicemail.

This Saturday Afternoon, Free Brake Inspection has cost me: Best guess, about is $500 in damage, my Tow Package Side View is $350 alone. I have to take back to Northside get estimate for repair. Also, my dignity, my trust. How dare they! I worked 22 years in old Steel Mill, work hard to keep a nice vehicle and they tried to rip me off! I am embarrassed and almost afraid that these people have my address, 1 mile away. I moved my inside home camera to now face my driveway! How sad is that!

Question also, why with free brake inspection because I heard a noise in my brake, did they even touch my hood.. the Air Filter? Obviously at the point of phone call, They didn't know mine was new. LOL Maybe they would look after? No idea. Now, I have to go back to Valvoline, explain, ask they check to see the filter they just installed is even in there. The New one that is!! Save yourself the Nightmare!!! Stay away from Monro on Oswego Rd in Clay NY 13090. I had done business there before, they did my back brakes and other things prior. However, the Gentleman who was there then, is no longer! Sadly, BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Went to Monro Muffler in Mt Pleasant Pa to have tire sensors put on. To make it short, the sensors still didn't work, went back several times and tried getting my money back. I called the corporate several times and they said it was refunded in my account. It was never put in my account, they kept saying they would email me the info that it was sent but never did. I asked them to go over it with my bank and they said no. Worst co. ever, employees were horrible. Never again.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I needed an O2 sensor on my catalytic converter. They found all the parts needed or anticipated and did the install without having to get a new catalytic converter. It was done in 1 afternoon and saved me 1400 dollars. They do great work in Troy Oh. They do more mechanical work than just brakes and mufflers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Overall it was a good experience. I was a walk in first thing in the morning I asked them if they could look at my vehicle because it was hesitating and the check engine light was flashing. They hooked it up to the monitor and couldn’t find anything wrong with it. They continued to look for a problem still came up with nothing. Now my car is running fine.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Monro Muffler in Shamokin Dam - After taking my vehicle back twice for brake issues after they installed new ones and claimed they didn't do nothing wrong. They were able to fix it but then the hubcaps fall off. They promised repeatedly to replace them and as of yesterday they told me that they weren't. Terrible management at this place. The hubcaps have been a look for a full year before they touch them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monro Muffler?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Monroe, Fairlawn, Ohio, offers oil change coupon in an attempt to sell unneeded auto repairs. Tried to sell a set of tires, and I told would think about their offer. They didn't change the oil as the same filter I installed was still on the car and they overfilled the oil in a criminal act. Oil was dirty. No clean oil. An attempted to ruin the engine, cocky Manager tried to press me to buy the tires. Never will do business again with this company.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

My husband was in this place the week before and told me to bring our daughter's car there the following week, as I pulled up one of the big doors to the shop area opened and they were backing out a car, I looked over and could clearly see a girl in there smoking!!! I don't want my vehicles around smoke. I went home and called my husband who told me that she works there and when he was in there the week before that it smelled of smoke and he thought it was just another customer but that at the end he had seen that same girl smoking out front where there is a gas station just feet away. I'm so annoyed, not even sure this is legal but don't want my cars smelling of smoke.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I'm giving 2 stars because the mechanics there really know what they are doing. They are exceptional but the manager named John has to learn how to talk to people. I got my oil change from them but when I got home my car won't start. I called them and the manager picked up and I told him the problem. He instantly started swearing and yelling at me saying it is not their fault. I tried to reassure him that I am not blaming anyone but he kept cursing and yelling at me. I still kept my calm and tried to apologize but he told me to have my lawyers call his lawyer and said, "Good luck because this is a multi-million dollar company".

Mind you that all I'm trying to do is get my car fixed. After saying that without listening to anything he hung up on me. I tried calling back and he picked up, I said I'll pay for everything just take a look and see what's wrong. He hung up again without saying anything. I recommend going to another place because if they accidentally mess up while working on your car, get ready to be yelled at and feel threatened for your physical safety.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I book my reservation online and the guy said we are running one hour late" and made an excuse that you didn’t fill all the details in form. Then the other guy said, "You can come in one hour between 3:30 to 4:00 pm" and I went again at 4:00 pm. The manager said that, "You had to come at 3:30, now we can’t take you." I left that place with feeling that the manager of this place had made this location miserable experience. Very disappointed with the miscommitment and wanted to convey the same thing to corporate office but didn’t get hold of them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I had been a loyal customer for 6 years at Monro in PA until my appointment for a state inspection was cancelled and rescheduled 3x. I called and emailed the corporate office to discuss my experience and inquire how events like this could be avoided in the future. I sent 9 emails and 5 voice messages to Mackenzie at Monro Customer Service. After my 10th call, I finally spoke to her and asked why none of my calls/ emails were returned. Mackenzie at Monro Customer Service said she did return my call and ‘got a busy signal’ (on a cell phone) and did not try to follow-up again afterwards because ‘she didn’t’. Mackenzie demonstrated disgusting, incompetent, and dishonest behavior. I will end my patronage of Monro solely due to this ludicrous lack of Customer Service.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

My brakes failed on my pick-up and I brought it to Monro. The mechanic/technician worked on it for 3 1/2 hours after closing so that I could get it back. I have never had such a dedicated service effort. I am truly appreciative. In addition, the gentleman was highly experienced and knowledgeable. I feel like my brakes are quite safe now.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I took my Dodge Stratus to the Monro on transit in Depew. They were fantastic. They took the time to get my light working properly. They also checked my car for any other issues. I am completely satisfied with the service I get at this location.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Went to Monro due to a loud grinding noise coming from left front. My guess was a wheel bearing. I had recently had my entire front brakes done at the same location a few weeks prior and wanted to make sure it wasn't due to that. I was correct in my guess and in fact it was a wheel bearing. The work was completed and the bill was $580.00. I was a bit shocked at the cost and decided once I returned home I would research the typical cost for repair. NOT ONE website stated it would be over 400.00. I then proceeded to look up the part cost (I used the part number THEY provided on the bill). The cost at the local Autozone was $169.00, Monro felt the need to charge me... $383.00 for it.

While I understand there is an upcharge that shops apply to parts but this was out of control in my opinion. I NEVER typically complain but I had to return to make sure this wasn't an oversight. (I also found that a set of these bearing cost $350.00) I told the manager that I was there to check the bill. He immediately tried to school me like I'm an idiot on how you cant go by the internet pricing. He said I could go to a parts store and buy the parts significantly cheaper than he could. He stated parts stores upcharge them and that's why it cost so much.

I was a bit offended as to how he spoke to me about all this, as I tried to explain to him that I researched the upcharge issues but Monro then adds its own upcharge. I then went on to discuss the hourly labor charge. I work in an operating room daily... I DONT MAKE what Monro charges for labor. I'm just shocked at just how much they get away with. The manager just shrugged me off and said the price is what it is. So in closing...be prepared to have your wallet fleeced. I will never go back. The one star is because I had to give it something... this site should have negative star system.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My son goes to UB in Buffalo. The starter failed on his 2005 Pont. G-6. He had it towed to Monro. The quote for a new battery (because I was told the connection threads on the battery were stripped. (Was fine last I knew). They had tried to tighten the connection (the service writer stated) and told me it wouldn't. Did the mechanic strip it?) Who knows I'm a hundred miles away from my son. The quote for the Battery was $129.00 (Not bad) and $34.95 to install it! Really! 2- Screws! The quote for the starter was $379 and 1.6 hrs to install it!

On a lift anyone who has ever changed a starter knows it doesn't take almost 2hrs. I can do this in my driveway in 25 minutes. So over $500 for a starter! I priced a new one (and the BEST one Auto zone has, and it was $166). They charged A 2 1/2 time mark-up. $500 DOLLARS IS JUST RIDICULOUS! I questioned the service writer Mark about the pricing and was told these are "suggested retail prices". We all know now how that works. Price Gougers at best!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

They were able to accommodate me right away. They were fast with their diagnosis, as well. They were able to give me a discount as well, and shuttled me to and back from work. They are very thorough and friendly.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I went to Monro for oil change. They told me my car needed synthetic with only 20000 miles which my mechanic said it did not after I already purchased it. I also went to Monro for front brakes and rotors. They told me with the flush it would be 642 dollars. WTH. I went to my mechanic. They said does not need flush and got the brakes and rotors done for 341. Monro is a RIP OFF. Do not use them. I have had issues with them for a while. Never going again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

On 9/28, I took my car in for a 2nd opinion. The mechanic stated it is likely that the caliper damage was a result of no lubrication added when the brake pads were changed. He said that the other calipers are in good condition... New question, if this was normal wear and/or neglect, wouldn't the other 3 would be in the same condition. He confirmed what I have found in my research as well as what the Monroe manager stated in March (although he now denies). The age of the car and mileage does not support this repair need. Calipers typically do not require replacement until well over 100,000 miles and even then that is if the brake system is not routinely maintenanced- which is clearly not the case with this car. I have called the Customer Service line as requested with no answer or returned call as of yet... I will update this review with their resolution.

I recently had my brake pads replaced and my oil changed in 3 separate visits over the last 6 months, all which included a vehicle inspection. Today, my brake began squeaking, I brought my vehicle in immediately. They informed me that my caliper has seized and that my new brake pad has worn down to nothing, just metal. The repair was quoted at over $300 even though I had purchased lifetime warranty on my pads... This seems strange to me as at my first visit in March, I specifically asked if the calipers were functional or required any service.

The Manager said they were in fine working order and typically do not require anything when the brake pads are serviced routinely. Not to mention, the car has been inspected 2 additonal times (1 time just 2 weeks ago) at this location and nothing was mentioned regarding the caliper or the very worn brake pad? My car is 5 years old, has about 75,000 miles and has had a VERY strict maintenance schedule.

My research has found that calipers are normally good for a couple of hundred thousand miles if the brake system is care for - just as the manager said to me in March but now denies ever saying. I also discovered a couple of sources that say that the piston can be easily torn during a brake pad replacement. I have a couple of questions that I feel would be great for everyone considering this store... Are they really inspecting your car or just blowing through the work so they can turn as many $18 oil changes as possible? Should we feel safe to drive a car they "say" passed their inspection? Did they tear the piston purposely to cause this additional repair so they can make-up the loss on these other cheap basic services?

Do you trust your car with a group of professionals who have no warranty on their work and even less concern for your safety? I contacted Customer Service with hopes to find a resolution and was greeted by the same condescending behavior I had experienced in the store. It is clear that this is their company culture and I would now expect nothing more at any location nationally. I was told I can pay for another inspection as a second opinion and if they find evidence that this damage was at fault to Monroe, he would see if they would reimburse the expense but it was not a guarantee even if at fault...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Friendly and quick! Was greeted in a timely manner and had a few questions about different oils that Bob helped me with. I am leasing my car and thinking of keeping it so he said it would be wise to get the synthetic oil, wasn't pushy on my choice.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I tried to schedule my car to receive service to pass an inspection at a location in upstate NY. Once I got there, one of the employees scolded, yes scolded me, for saying I need an "inspection", when I meant to say "service". I can understand being a little short with customers sometimes (not that it's ok) but to yell at the source of your paycheck? When they're just inquiring into their services? It was so ridiculous it was comical. They also couldn't seem to keep their appointment schedule in order, as I had to make an appointment twice. After the second time, I decided that I don't want people who can't keep a simple appointment calendar working on a complex machine involving my overall safety, like my car. I can't say all Monro locations are like this, but I will never bother to find out.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I am beyond upset with Monro Muffler concerning how I was treated at the location in Albany, New York (store # 3010594). On July 26, 2018 I researched many places in the area to upgrade my exhaust and after reading the website about your warranty I knew Monroe was the place to go. When I called and spoke to the Manager Logan **, he quoted me $100.00 for the labor and parts. I was beyond happy with the reviews and quote so I decided to go with Monro Muffler and I made an appt for that day. I spoke to him about everything and he made me feel confident on my decision. I had my car go in for the service and when completed HOURS (3) later they told me my total was 324.00.

I was shocked and asked why and they stated that it was because there were two exhausts and regardless I now had to pay. However, knowing that it was completed I ended up paying for the labor and parts leaving the location beyond frustrated. Now, nearly two months later, I noticed there is a rattling in my exhaust and it is continuously leaking. I called to make an appt (8/29/2018) and when I got there and spoke to the manager again, **. He told me he would NOT only NOT refund me my money BUT he would charge me for labor of taking the exhaust back to the original stock. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. The website clearly states I would be refunded if not happy with service or the parts AND if they were not working.

Clearly, my exhaust is rattling and leaking and they do not do their job correctly! You have to understand my frustration as I am losing 324.00 dollars to a non-working part on my new vehicle, Dodge Charger SRT. As a customer of Monro, as well as my entire family, I would like you to go by your word. This is false advertisement! Frustrated with the lack of commitment I then wrote to the corporate office in hopes they would help the situation. A week in passing I had no response. On 9/4 my girlfriend, Brooke, then contacted corp customer service Theresa ** and explained the situation and even emailed her a copy of the receipt. She stated she would research everything and get back to me soon.

I got a return call from her on 9/6 asking for permission to have another location contact me to look at the work that was done. I agreed and within minutes Joe (Assistant Manager) of store #35 asked me to come in. I agreed to be there in minutes. When arriving a tech put my car on a lift and not only did Joe, but two techs and a welder looked and agreed that it was poorly done and after hearing the car at run they also agreed to the rattling noise. Joe then had me make an appt to get it fixed. He told us to contact Theresa to ask about a refund and the next steps. On 9/7 Brooke sent her a follow up email as well as 9/10. Theresa has yet to respond. I had my appt on 9/12 and met with the store manager Jim. Now this manager would not fix the issue but wanted to charge me as well.

Again, frustrated, I left the store. Brooke then contacted corporate and left a message then called Jim. Not only did he explain he won't help me out but at one point she was laughed at over the phone. Purely disrespectful to a woman! After a long conversation Jim agreed he would fix the exhaust on 9/14 at 7:30 am. When I arrived he stated that he would only clean up the welding but it won't fix the issue I "claim" to think I have. After two months of running around I've decided to pass my situation onto you in hopes of a refund. Still no return calls/email from corporate.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I went in to have a NY State vehicle inspection, the car only has 22k miles, they told me that the rear brake pads had to be replaced because they were falling apart and delaminating, at a cost of $430.00. I declined, ordered the parts online, and when I took the brakes apart to replace the pads I realized that the brakes were perfect, had not even reached their half life, nowhere did they show signs of delamination or of falling apart, I replaced them anyway and took the old brake pads back to Monroe Muffler.

After my car passed the reinspection I brought in the old pads and asked the manager if he could point out where they were "falling apart" and /or "de-laminating". He could not point out a single thing wrong with the old brake pads. Talk about a scam, had I not known anything about cars, I would have gotten stuck paying $430.00 dollars for nothing.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I need to have my brakes and rotors changed on my car. I say need as I never actually completed my service at Monro. I called, and I asked how much it'd cost for them to replace 4 pads and rotors. Yes, 4. As in 2 in the front, two in the back. 4 wheels, 2 axles. That's important. They told me $400 for everything, including labor, so here I am super thrilled and I drive 12 miles down to the location. This is outstanding, I'm thinking to myself. I get there, I confirm the $400 price tag, and confirm that's for all 4, and I hand over my keys. However, he won't give me that number in writing, which should have been a red flag.

So here I am, walking around town looking for ways to pass the time when I get a phone call. He's telling me that all 4 need done. I'm confused, as anyone would be. After all, we'd agreed 3 times that we were talking about 4 from the beginning. He now tries telling me he needs another $400 for the service because he only quoted me the front... um... What? So I ask how this is the case, and he's now claiming that was $400 per axle, although I had told him earlier that my budget for the entire vehicle was $400 and we could work within that.

Now he's starting to try pushing credit lines on me, expecting me to just put myself into debt over this car. I ask if I can call him back in a few minutes, because I'm sitting in the middle of a restaurant in shock now at the price jump. I call him back and say that I simply can't do that, and I didn't want the service continued. Turns out they already had all 4 wheels off and the brakes/rotors removed. So now here I am, driving around on a car where now brake pads and rotors are grinding differently and are at risk of actually breaking because I was lied to up front. Thanks for the quality service!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Muffler pipe replacement - First quote was $700. I did not approve that. There was no written estimate. I told them I couldn't pay $700. They said they already ordered the part and had the broken pipe off. Then said they'd only charge $500. So they were going to rip off $200. It was a $350 job. Anyone who goes to this place is looking to be overcharged. I call them MoronMuffler for treating customers like this. Can you imagine a world of honest car sales and repair?

Updated on 08/23/2018: Local estimates for exhaust pipe repair did not exceed $300. Even other Monro shops quoted $300. One Monro wanted $139.99. Saratoga Monro wanted $700 for the same work.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Tom and Tim at Monro on Quaker are the best. They got me in within a few minutes of my call about a tire leak. We have used this shop for years for all types of repairs on our cars. Always professional.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Monro in Malone NY: Had tires changed on my 2012 truck and also asked for alignment I left short a lug nut due to mechanic rounding nut. I had to get one on way home at auto parts store 1/4 mile from Monro. They never offered to go get one and had to bring truck back due to steering wheel not being aligned properly and is still off. Lol.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I went to the 1971 Boston Road location in Wilbraham, MA on Friday, March 23rd and had one of the worst experiences in my life at this shop. Jose the manager, was great. Timothy was horrible horrible horrible! I don't think he knew what he was doing because it took him 8 hours to fix one wheel bearing. And the fix was just to order a part. Timothy did not communicate with me at all and only did so after having to get his attention several times. His "explanation" as to why the repair was taking long was because there was a part which refused to come off. Yet around 6pm the idea occurred to him to cut the part and order a new one. And get me out of the shop before they closed at 7pm. It shouldn't have taken 8 hours to figure this "solution" out. Very unprofessional and maybe had he not been taking oil changes in the middle of "trying to get the part loose", my entire day could've been salvaged. VERY disappointed. Will not recommend ever.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I scheduled an oil change for 11:30. At 12:03 I was still sitting in the waiting area. No communication was given as to what the delay was. Finally the car was taken in and during that time the attendant was talking and laughing with someone, not sure if it was a customer or not, but she went into the stall area and behind the desk in the waiting area. He was also back and forth answering the phone. It is now 12:38 and I still sit here. This was just an oil change, no tire rotation. Last time I come here. Very poor customer service. Finally out of there by 12:58. It’s NOT a good day at Monro.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Oil change tire rotation vehicle inspection - Friendly, courteous and informative. I called and they fit me right in, making meeting schedule effortlessly. Never once trying to push me into more service than actually needed. It's hard to find honest service station. Thank you for everything.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I pay for my 18 yr old grandson's vehicle issues, bought him 2 new winter tires at Monro Muffler, with balancing, etc that they must do. Bill came to over $400 - just had a new muffler & pipes put on (Kyle has a Van). Bill came to $436.00 - They do good service Kyle told me, but are Very expensive!!! Unfortunately Kyle (grandson) has all receipts, so I cannot post any info up here - accurate dates, order numbers, etc. I know the approximate months which are recent - and today is Feb 24 2018.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I’d been using Monro for years but mainly for oil changes. I had my older daughter take her car for a set of tires and was pleased with the service. Several weeks ago I take my youngest daughters car to be checked because it’s leaking antifreeze and running hot. The car was kept for several days because, I was told they could not find a leak. Finally I get a call with the quoted cost for repairs totaling $672.59. I was told it needed a thermostat and new radiator. Once the car was finished I pick it up and end up paying a total of $730.19. (I’m sick to my stomach at this point considering the amount of money I’ve spent).

A week goes by and I notice some spots in my driveway which lets me know her vehicle is leaking. So I take it back to Monro and tell them it’s still leaking. When I head back to pick it up, I’m told that it was just something that wasn't tightened properly and that it should be good now. A week goes by then the car starts to overheat again. I have the coolant checked and yes it’s leaking still. So I take it back to Monro a third time and I’m told that they can’t find anything wrong with it. Wtf!!! After I’ve been charged all this $$$$. I will never utilize Monro again nor will they receive any recommendations from me. Your sign in your store clearly states, “we promise to Fix your car right, the first time”. Straight BS!!!

Monro Muffler Company Information