1.26/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 14, 2018

325 Meineke Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 14, 2018

I took my family van to get brakes checked out and was informed that I would need all 4 rotors resurfaced and pads replaced. I was fine with that then two weeks later I’m back to have the same thing done because it was not done the first time. I was told by the mechanic that the brakes were making noise 'cause they were badly warped and rusted. After two weeks? Someone didn’t do their job.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I received a flyer in the mail for an oil change, and called the number to schedule the appointment. The address of the shop (as provided in the flyer) was almost a half hour drive from my house. On the scheduled date and time, I drove to the shop only to FIND IT PERMANENTLY CLOSED. I called the number again and was informed by a very uninterested representative that they were "sorry", but it wasn't "their fault" that the franchisee had closed its doors "without informing them". SERIOUSLY?!? It doesn't surprise that Meineke's reputation is at ground level! (which I unfortunately only found out when I decided to post this review). A franchiser that has such poor communication with its franchisees that doesn't even know when they close, and keeps scheduling appointments for unsuspecting customers!!! SUCH A WASTE OF MY TIME. Never going to a Meineke again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 6, 2018

Great customer service. Gary is honest and efficient when diagnosing and fixing our vehicles. We have bad experiences with other mechanics. And it is convenient to have Charlestown Rd. Meineke around the corner from us.

Resolution response: March 31, 2018

This issue was resolved with the owner of the location. He handled it professionally and I am satisfied with the resolution.

Original review: March 5, 2018

If I could, I would give the review 0 stars. I went for a standard oil change and they filled my car with the incorrect type of oil, too much oil, and the wrong oil filter. These mistakes caused huge problems with my car and I had to pay almost $500 to have the mistakes corrected. When I told the owner the mistakes that his employees made, he said "What do you want me to do?" Save your money and time and go somewhere else.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

We have spent thousands of dollars on repairs through this shop. Over the course of several repairs, one of which involved replacing the timing belt and tensioner. On multiple repairs we had to take my car back to fix a botched job. When we got fed up and took our car to another shop we were told the timing belt and tensioner would have to be repaired as the timing belt is loose, the sticker indicating the replacement of the timing belt didn't even match the belt that was put in the car and the tensioner needed adjusted.

The total repair, for a job supposedly done at Meineke Store #455 at 6650 N Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO, would cost another $1200 - $1300 dollars. When I called Meineke about it I was told the sticker didn't have to match the belt and that if I wanted to bring the car back in they would look at it but there shouldn't be anything wrong. When I told them I wasn't comfortable bringing it to them again after so many botched jobs he had no recollection or record of such events and said the one time they did re-repair it was as a favor to us because we had spent so much money through them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meineke?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Overpriced bait-and-switch - They do not honor the Meineke coupons. And that do not have any technicians that are ** and played. They advertise us on the building. The management slash owner is more worried about bottomline than the customer retention or the livelihood mechanic.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I had an appointment with Meineke auto on Jan 8 2017 for an oil change. I had received 2 emails advertising 2 different offers via email, the 1st offered an oil change for $9.99 and the 2nd offered a buy one, get one free. I asked the guy at the desk about both, he told me the 2nd one was over, and the 1st one never happened. I asked him if someone could look at my gas cap lid because it wouldn't open, he told me that it would cost me $135.00 for it to be looked at, he was arrogant and argumentative, defensive, and accused me of lying.

I went next door to Kevin's automotive and got my work done there. Kevin was courteous and informative, I received the oil change and he checked my gas cap lid, he told me all it needed was a little oil, and I wasn't charged. This is one of the worst experiences I've ever had with any auto repair company. I do not have a receipt because no work was done, but it was the Meineke at Iliff & Quebec in Denver Co., and the assistant manager was awful!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Took my Mazda pickup in. Was running rough. Dakota the first of five managers I've dealt with said I need to replace ECM. Said computer said it was bad. Gave OK. Picked up truck. Drove home about a mile from Outer Loop location in Louisville Ky. The truck ran worse than before. Took back and left. Mgr. told me he would get on in the morning. Three days later said to drive a couple days. Now truck was running even worse BACKFIRING etc. Took back to find they had replaced ECM with wrong one. Said they replaced with correct one. Said needed injectors cleaned. Then new plugs and wires. New alternator. Took back. Still backfiring. STILL HAD WRONG ECM. Said they would locate the correct one. OhThey returned mine for core charge? This has been going on for over a year. I even took them 3 ECMs for them to try.

Changed Mgr. again. Left for three weeks. Nothing done. Said they had been booked up. Why was I put to the back? No answer. They lost my keys. Had to take another. Now if not too late reporting to BBB. Consumer reports talking to an atty. Truck has given up setting in driveway. Have spent $2000.00 PLUS with Meinekie. If I get no help will paint yellow and find parking spot to show to different people. ALSO they replaced brakes made noise. Told me it would stop after a while. Never did.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

It’s the worse place ever... I bring my car here the first time for to do the balance, replace the headlights and breaks. They only finish the break. Second day, they change the lights, and they “said” the balance was good, but wasn’t! Now my car has some noise and they’re saying it's not their problem. I’m been here three days and they didn’t fixed my car.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Please don't waste your time and go here. I went in because my car was not powering and was told it needed new spark plugs. He told me whoever did it last put the wrong ones in which a recent mechanic inspected this work and said the spark plugs are still incorrect. They did that along with a new oxygen sensor, which late I was told shouldn't be replaced unless the wire is bad... But the tech didn't show me anything. And also fuel injection cleaning and service. All of which didn't fix ANYTHING. A week later came back because my car felt like it was gonna stall (which it did after leaving). When I took it into Meineke for him to look over he had my WHOLE car dissembled and I was there for 3 hrs and he still didn't know what it was. In fact told me a new problem was the issue and I need to pay 800 more on top of the 1300 I already blew.

So I had a family friend inspect all of this and told me that "nothing they did fixed my problem and the work should have only been recommendations". Meineke just be digging for reasons to charge you. As I sat in the lobby at Meineke, I listened to other folks coming in for basic stuff and they kept telling EVERYONE they needed new rotors or some sort of brake issue, even if all you wanted was an oil change. A simple oil change for every customer was not simple. They had to find 'something'. EVERYONE that came they told them 800-1000$ more than what they came to get done. The price gouge and lie to everyone. I sat quietly by the window, listened, and shook my head. It was in that moment, I wished I never went there. So now I got a diagnostic reader, which I high recommend. Found out it's the mass air flow sensor that needs replaced. A repair that costs $105 - 270 in price. Not 1300$ and still not fixed.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

"Basic oil change (sorry, out of your oil), synthetic blend (also out of that oil weight) but I will give you a discount on the $70 full synthetic change". Not even going to try again. They were ok in the earlier years, but now it's all about money.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I called Meineke and asked if they do wheel alignments on Mini automobiles and they replied, “Yes, in fact we do all cars.” Upon bringing my vehicle to them I noticed a leak from my clutch slave cylinder and asked them to repair that and recharge the AC system. Upon pick up the auto, I was told Meineke was unable to perform an alignment as they lacked special Mini tools. They said they only adjusted toe settings and only charged for half the alignment price. The vehicle did NOT blow cold and AC was not working nor did the car shift. They said of the 475 I was billed, they could not get the AC to blow cold and the shifting issue was likely air in the system. I was unable to drive my car off their lot. The linkage seemed impacted when their mechanic jammed on a shift knob I asked them to leave off. Instead he smashed it on unkeyed and this caused my shift linkage to be awry.

Incidentally with AC not operative upon pickup my power window on driver side was suddenly inoperative. I received no resolution other than bring it back for AC and drive car to get air bled out of clutch cylinder. We are not a Mini dealer they said. I told them that my car pulls so what kind of alignment did you perform??? I paid 475 dollars and the car is same or worse than when I brought it in! I cannot get it to shift gears now that you worked on it. I only got half an alignment and my AC does not work. This is the first and last time I ever trust and go to Meineke.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I went in for an oil change and was told by the manager they were having a hard time getting the skid plate off of my VW Beetle because the bolts holding it in place were rusted. I asked if they could get it off and even told them they could cut the bolts and put the skid plate in the back seat until I got new bolts for it - they said no problem. I left thinking they had put the skid plate back on because it wasn't in my car.

On the way home, my driver side window started giving me trouble, so the next morning I took the car to my mechanic. I left the car with them since the parts I needed had to be ordered. I asked if they could order new bolts for the skid plate since the ones on it were rusted. My mechanic called me back and asked if I wanted an oil change while the skid plate was off. I said no and told him I didn't need one because I'd had one the day before I brought it to him. He said that was not possible because there was no way anyone could have taken that skid plate off - they had needed an air hammer to get the last few screws out (FYI - I recently bought it and it had previously lived in Pennsylvania).

I asked him to check and be sure before I called Meineke (Myrtle Beach, George Bishop Parkway) upset. He called me back and stated that there was fresh oil, but the filter was black. He saved it for me and it was filthy! Meineke never changed the filter and the worst part was that I got the synthetic oil change and would have driven around with a filthy oil filter for 10,000 miles!!!

I called the manager James and told him what happened - he said he would call me back. When he did he said he looked at the video and it shows the tech removing the skid plate so I went in to look at it myself. All the tech did was undo the plastic plate around the skid plate and move it aside to let the oil out. You could even see it wiggle because he left it hanging in the air while. The steel skid plate would have had to be taken off completely because of its size and weight and it surely wouldn't have wiggled in the air - plus the video never showed the tech changing the oil filter!!! James said he would have the owner, Jim, call me. He never did. I was not offered a refund or anything! I spent over $200 dollars there that day only to be lied to, left with a huge bill and almost another 10,000 miles on a filthy oil filter!!! NEVER, NEVER GO THERE!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I took my car in for an oil change and agreed to have a couple of other services performed. When I came there my ac worked fine on level 1 but when I left I noticed they had it on the maximum level and the windows down. Apparently the next day I was driving it I noticed that the ac was only blowing on the max speed of 5. I took it back to them to look at it and they said the blower resistor was bad. It was not bad when I brought it in. They claim it's a part and they go bad and their services were not anywhere near my blower resistor. But when you're checking fuses, messing with relays, and other electrical things how can you be sure that you did not fry the relay. But that day I left more disappointed. The mechanic messed with my alarm and it was no longer chirping when you arm and disarm it.

I didn't buy the alarm so I did not know how to begin to figure out what setting he changed. I know it only takes a minute or 2 for people that know cars to put an alarm in valet mode. So after I tried for days I went back up to Meineke and asked if he could change the setting back and the lying trash that checked my air said that is how the alarm works and he didn't change anything. That's a lie for sure, an alarm cannot put itself into valet mode and he was smirking and grinning just repeating about how the alarm worked and it doesn't chirp when you lock it. I now know that they truly do not want to help people and don't have you, your car, nor your pocket's interest in mind. It took me researching after leaving there for an hour to find out that the alarm was in valet mode and how to get it out. When he could have changed the setting back in 2 mins.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I contacted Meineke about recharging my ac system. I informed them. I had converted my system. From a r12, to r134 system. They stated the price would be 189.00. I agreed came in. The guy came to me. And stated: "I have to pull the compressor to drain." I have mechanical experience. Yet I asked: "How much." I was told 578.00. I agreed. Yet looking thru the window. The compressor wasn't taken out of the vehicle. I questioned this. And was told, "We didn't have to."

I said, "What justifies the same charge." I was told labor. Straight up hustle. And they knew. I knew. I paid. And left. I didn't want to pay bail. And for an attorney. The bill stated 7 hours. I was there 2 hours. And 1 hour they worked on the vehicle. Simply did a recharge refrigerant. And oil. Do yourself a favor. Find another business. This is not the same company of old. I contacted the main office. And provided my email address. My phone nos. The invoice. Told I would hear from them. Nothing. Invoice #**. Estimate ID.**

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Went to the Meineke in Old Saybrook, CT for brake work. 104 days later my steering locks up and my wheels are making terrible noises while I am driving. I had to frantically pull over. My vehicle was undrivable and had to be towed. The rotor froze because the bearings were installed improperly. I could have been killed. The ensuing weeks were a nightmarish web of lies and run-arounds. They refused to do anything about it because I was two weeks outside of the 90 day warranty, for labor and parts.

Corporate refused to intervene, saying I had to reach a resolution on my own with the shop I took it to. So guess how eager the guys there were willing to give me my money back? Not a chance. Meineke is a soulless anti-consumer corporation. I will never go there again and I will also spend the rest of my days convincing everyone I know never to go there. Stay away. You are not protected if something happens. Their warranty policies are only there to save themselves and to rip you off if something goes wrong.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I typically do not go so far as to write reviews but this situation lead me to warn everyone about my experience at the Meineke on Roswell Road in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody Area. Simply put, they serviced my brakes about 7/8 months ago and now they are squeaking again. I went back today to have it checked out and they are telling me that it is just wear and tear and that the warranty does not cover that and that I need a 400+ brake job. I called my Chevy dealership and they said it would be $270 worse case. The girl at the desk was rude and very dismissive as if she did not care at all... so, long story short... DO NOT GO THERE... THEY SUCK!!! Never again.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Went there with the transmission lines that were leaking. I was told by the people Meineke they could not get the transmission lines for my vehicle so I then paid almost $700 to get what they said was going to be a new transmission lines which turned out to be my old transmission lines with the rubber tool shove through it. Needless to say they start leaking again. Left me stranded many miles away from home. I've tried calling the customer service many times and I've gotten nothing but "we're going to fill out another report, we're going to fill out another report" even though they're still under warranty. The shop won't even call me back or even remotely standby the work that they do. This is the shop at the top of Kent Des Moines Road in Kent on Pacific Highway South. The new manager said to me in his goodbye worst and me were "if it wasn't for me you would be driving it at all." Wonderful huh.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I went there with my car to have free AC check. Was told I only needed AC evac and recharge. No leaks found. One hour later all freon leaked out. Went back a 2nd time. The techs couldn't find any leaks. I left so I was told to come back a 3rd time and I was given another evac and recharge again. Told no leaks found. All leaked out in 2 hours so now I'm out 100.00 and still AC broke with not one employee can tell me what's wrong with my AC.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I went to Meineke on a referral from my boyfriend. I needed a transmission fluid flush, and I was about to go on vacation, so I asked for a road trip check where they check the battery, a/c, etc. I got it in right away and it took them about an hour. They gave me the check list sheet, and told me everything look great, but I would need to come back in a few days to check my fluid levels to make sure I wasn't leaking.

A few days later I'm back and they tell me again everything looks fine. Three days later a day before I'm about to drive 7 hours for my vacation my car won't start. I had to jump it multiple times that day just to go to work and leave work. I brought it in to them later that day and the mechanic proceeds to tell me that I need a new battery. Six days after they had just told me everything looked fine and my car had no issues I now all of the sudden need a new battery. I asked the man "how can my battery need changed when you just checked it six days ago and it was fine"? He tells me that the battery checker he used last time isn't very reliable, so he used a different battery checker this time, and it showed that I need a new battery. I asked him why in the world would he use that checker if he knew it wasn't reliable? He told me they are supposed to use anyway.

So basically this company is using faulty equipment knowingly, telling people their batteries are fine, and in reality they have no idea! Thank God I wasn't in a different state before this happened. They didn't even offer to put it in for free since they missed it the first time. I am extremely disgusted with this company and I feel they should be reprimanded for lying to people and using faulty equipment!

Original review: July 7, 2017

I book appointment for this place in Antiok Ca for 11:30 am on 07.06.2017. Arrived around 11:20 am, wait till 12:03 pm and went to ask when they will do service my car but was informed I need wait maybe one more hour before they start do something on my car. This people don't have respect to customer's time.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Management staff has changes three time in the past year. Every changes it got worse. Here are some of the occurrences: Last (new) manager could no locate our record on the computer system (his name is Mitchell). The manager before that only there for about two month (same thing happened). Today 06/27/17 once again, another manager, walked in around 8:00 a.m. - the first thing come out from him was "do you have an appointment?"

Original review: June 21, 2017

On 6/6/17 (Tuesday) I went for a regular OIL CHANGE that just happened to take over three hours. Once "done" they called me and I went and picked up my car. On Wednesday (6/7/17) I drove to work and my car was making a rattling noise under the hood (maybe 20 miles one way) and figured maybe something was loose and I was planning on taking it back so the "techs" would look at it. Something came up and couldn't make it that day. The following day, On Thursday (6/8/17) I was driving to my job on the freeway and my car started making a lot more noise, shaking and rattling and not wanting to speed up. Luckily I was by an exit and coasted out of there. I pulled into a parking lot and the car just stopped completely. My car wouldn't start for anything. I called the Meineke where I had went and explained to the Assistant manager what happened. He called a tow truck for me.

While I was waiting, I was looking around the hood to see if the problem looked obvious but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Then I CHECKED THE OIL and the dipstick was completely dry. Checked it more than 4 times. I even have a video of me checking the oil. (my wife wanted to see) Once the tow truck came (3 hours later) they took me and my car to the shop. Once there they took my car into the back of the shop and after around 20-30 minutes later the Assistant manager told me that the car had oil in it and that the engine just gave out! I couldn't believe what was happening. So I had the car towed to a Chevrolet dealer in town so they can look at it and not give me the runaround. They also said the car had oil.

The following day on Friday (6/9/17) I went back to the Meineke because the Assistant Manager said he had footage of my car when they "put oil in it". They definitely put the hose in my car, doesn't mean they actually pumped oil it. I then asked the Assistant Manager to show me the footage of when my car returned after it was towed, and he did. You wouldn't believe what was happening back there. There was like 4-5 guys all around the car doing God knows what and then when no one was around my car, the MONITOR WHERE MY CAR WAS BEING RECORDED TURNED BLUE ALL OF SUDDEN!!! Which is complete BULL! They said that "That happens once in a while". I also had him rewind the footage and I recorded the screen going blue on my phone. I filed a complaint with the corporate office and I spoke to some lady that I could barely understand and she was having a hard time understanding me.

So you can imagine how that went. They corporate office called me back and they stated that they had talked "to the store" and they did everything right and how I wanted to take on this situation was completely up to me from here on. Here's my theory, they didn't put oil in my car after they drained it and when they towed it back to the shop they added oil. I have proof that there was no oil in the car when it stopped running and then the monitor goes blank when my car was back there is very suspicious. They're obviously tampering with the footage. They continue to deny that they messed up and won't help me out. I understand that we are human and we mess up here and there but don't hide it and I think they should be held responsible for this. My car was running great. No problems, no noises, no symptoms of any kinds. It's a 2011 Chevy Traverse with 75,500 miles.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I took my car to Meineke Car Care Center, La Plata, MD in September 2016 to have my catalytic converters diagnosed. The mechanic started doing other things and ended up burning up the computer in my car. I filed a lawsuit in December 2016 because the owner of the franchise wasn't willing to refund me for damages done to my car. I won my lawsuit on May 17, 2017 and they were found liable for the damages I assessed. As of today, June 19, 2017 the owner still hasn't paid the judgment so now I have to enforce it. Do not take your car to this shop.

Original review: June 12, 2017

5000 miles ago I had a oil + filter change. I tried to give my car a fresh oil change as it was due but the previous mechanic at Meineke had overtightened the drain plug. I broke 3 sockets and 2 3/8 to 1/4 connecting bars. I went back to the shop so that they could loosen the bolt that they had overtightened but they refused to do this unless I paid them $25. This is a way to try and force you to keep going back to them.

Original review: June 4, 2017

I would give zero stars if possible. In 2013 I took my 2010 Chevy Cobalt to Meineke for a muffler repair. They told me I'd have to repair not only the muffler but also the pipes. So I agreed to the price and paid for them to do the service. A couple weeks later I noticed the muffler was making a loud noise, brought it back and was told it needed to be broken in. After a couple months the noise did die down. Fast forward to a year and half later (2015) muffler again making loud noise like before repair. I take it to a local mechanic who tells me the muffler is all rusted out and broken.

Back to Meineke I go, knowing full well this part is under warranty. When I get there I explain the situation to the service writer behind the desk. He laughs at me and says, "Well that's because they sold you a bad muffler to begin with, it does need to break in to be quiet". They then proceeded to tell me that the life of a muffler is only 1.5 yrs, I know this to be untrue because my brother is a mechanic. All said and done I ended up paying for a new muffler again in addition to new pipes because whoever welded it before didn't do it right. Fast forward to now, I'm in the same boat again, muffler making same noise. I take it to the dealership my brother works for and they tell me the weld work looks like that of a 6 yr old and not a quality professional. At this point I don't even want to get in touch with Meineke because their work is low quality and they don't stand behind it. NEVER using this place again. I've included pictures of what it looks like.

Original review: May 29, 2017

This is the letter I had to send Meineke today... SMH. I took my vehicle in to be serviced yesterday at Meineke located at 800 W. Patapsco. The first RED FLAG was that the mechanic 'looked' at my brakes, completed NO diagnostic and called my warranty company and reported 'there was nothing wrong with my vehicle" WITHOUT ANY DIAGNOSTIC! My brakes did not need service, however I bought the vehicle in for the issues that were listed on my dash... NOT MY BRAKES!! My dash stated I needed an oil change, rotation, and oil filter change. I had to call the mechanic to my car to show him!!! I had to call my warranty company and make a complaint to the claims department. He than called the warranty company, changed his story and then took my vehicle in to be serviced.

When I picked it up there were still issues with the vehicle. Particularly the rear tail light was still out. Even though the light was out... the mechanic marked it as EXCELLENT!! I cannot believe it. I waited all day for them to not even fix my car. The location closed at 3, when I picked it up so I could not have it repaired. When I called SilverRock my warranty company they were already closed since 2. They also charged me for brake diagnostic... when that should be included in the safety inspection included in the oil change? And If you completed a brake diagnostic where is the report? I wanted to notify SilverRock of the issue and I intend to have it repaired under my limited warranty on Monday, but they were closed...

Now I have to take off of work Tuesday, take my vehicle to my existing mechanic so that he may check the vehicle and complete a more accurate diagnostic. Among other inconveniences I cannot drive my vehicle with a missing tail light!! I will get a ticket!!! Please contact me at your earliest convenience... I intend to return the vehicle on Tuesday to Meineke. If this issue is not resolved effectively then I fully intend to report this incident to the BBB. And I fully intend to follow this up. The customer service I received was horrendous! I spoke with ** around 11am on Monday and he assured me he would follow up with SilverRock. I told him I would call back before Meineke closed to follow up. When I called back no one answered the phone. I had to call back to back 4 times in order to get someone to answer.

When Danny finally answered, he was annoyed and said, "Ms. ** I am calling SilverRock right now on the other line." He did not need to ask who it was, so it was obvious they were ignoring my call. And I told him I would hold on... At this time I have been on hold for 1 hour and 6 minutes... and he has not even come back to tell me anything. I called the store on my other line and someone picked up and hung up on me 3 times! Now the store is closed!!! So he ignored me, hung up on me, left me on hold for an hour... then closed the store with me on hold!!! I can't believe this is a reputable company like Meineke!?? I am not even an irate customer. I am a Baltimore City teacher and I have done nothing but be respectful to the men at this Meineke location.

I honestly believe that the service I have received is a result of me being an ** woman. Racism and discrimination are a very common practice in this part of Baltimore, and I will NOT be discriminated against! I WILL have my husband, WHO IS A LAWYER, file a discrimination suit against your company. I already have contact information from 2 ** individuals who have experienced the same level of poor, disrespectful service. I have a recording of my encounter and I am filing this grievance because at some point, there has to be an understanding that you cannot treat people poorly, discriminate against them and get away with it.

Original review: May 12, 2017

First time I took my car to the Fallbrook location and they tell me I had an oil leak, that I needed tires and brakes/alignment. The total was going to be $2350 and that I would need to leave it! I told them to hold off, and I went to the dealer as my car was fairly new. Ends up I had no oil leak, I had a coolant leak that was covered under my warranty. I went to Scrappy's in Fallbrook and got all the rest of the work done for $650 (tires, brakes, alignment), wow! They almost got me! Second time, my husband made me an appointment for an oil change at the Oceanside (Plaza location). He got the 'Mother's day' package sent to him in his email. He clicked in it and made the appointment since he thought I would get this deal. I get to my appointment and the guy tells me I can only have the 'Supreme' oil change ($73) that he would not do another one for me due to my type of car (Nissan Versa).

I told him my husband always gets oil changes here for $35 with the same car, when he goes to Meineke. The guy still said no he couldn't give me that oil change. Then, the guy tells me he can't give me the discount because I don't have a physical mailer then he proceeds to show me invoices with all the other discounts mom's got that day, but that I was out of luck because I didn't have the mailer. So I ended up paying $73 after seeing all the other invoice's that had the mom day discount 50%. Meineke is criminal in the way they lie and charge more than they need to for women. I seriously think if it was my husband he would not have been ripped off like I was, and he wasn't. They are not customer service/women friendly. I will never go here again and I will tell as many people as I can to NEVER GO HERE.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I took my car to Meineke at 5900 block of Broad St. in Richmond VA on April 5, 2017 for an oil change. After waiting almost an hour, they told me my car requires synthetic oil instead of 5W30 I requested (and have always used) which is recommended in the owner's manual. When I declined the synthetic oil, they told me my car would be out front momentarily (without an oil change). I was in Richmond for my nephew's funeral, so decided to go home to TN and get an oil change there. Before leaving, I noticed my car didn't sound quite right so I took it to a mechanic. He checked the oil and discovered it was completely empty!

I shudder to think what would have happened if I had not noticed that sound. The only reason for this is the Meineke mechanic must have drained the oil before telling me about the synthetic oil issue, and didn't refill it when I declined. He also said my oil cap specified "synthetic oil only". It doesn't! I have used Meineke for several years now, but after this I will never go there again!

Original review: April 25, 2017

Meineke is a business that has poor customer service. They did not let me know that they do not accept checks till they had my car tore apart. I had to walk to my house to get cash for them. The walk was 2 1/2 miles. I have a spinal stenosis and disk degenerative disease in my neck, so needless to say the walk was very painful. The ** didn't tell me they didn't accept checks and that is all I had. Thankfully I had money home but had to walk home. There was a total of 3 guys there that could have taken me home and be back to the shop with 13 minutes. I feel that overcharged me and according to my mechanic they Screwed me without using jelly. That was the first and last time I will ever go there.

Meineke expert review by Lauren Fix

Meineke Car Care Centers, Inc. was founded in 1972 in Houston and is now a part of Driven Brands, which is headquartered in North Carolina. They have more than 900 locations around the world. Meineke Car Care Centers performs tire service, preventative maintenance and some repair services.

• Roadside assistance: Customers who get a synthetic blend, high mileage or full synthetic oil change package receive four months of free 24-hour road assistance. It includes lockout assistances, hit and run protection, rental car discounts, concierge benefits and more. Members of Meineke’s free rewards program also receive free towing for up to 15 miles.

• Online resources: Meineke’s blog has informational articles, expert advice, maintenance tips and industry news. It is useful for most automobile owners. The chain’s website also has an auto repair and car parts dictionary, which includes basic definition of terms customers might see or hear when having their vehicle serviced or repaired.

• Social media: Meineke is active on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Consumers can follow the brand to get maintenance tips and see special offers.

• Online scheduling: Customers ready to schedule a service appointment can do so online. The website will show them coupons associated with the service they are requesting. Same day appointments may be available.

• Best for: Meineke offers services to help most consumers with basic car maintenance and repair.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Meineke Company Information