Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.41/5

Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

45 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 21, 2019

I did 1100 miles a week for almost 5 years, lots of travel and the last few years of weekly trips were 650 a week to work. Only repairs were outer tie rods, one fan belt and last year a battery. Lots of oil changes, driver's seat is worn, struts of course overdue for replacement. I planned on going 300k with the car, great runner and this was the model with the bits of metal in the engine from initial machining. I guess the oil changes every three weeks and high mileage flushed it out fast. To this day the oil is not black, maintains that grey look. Planning on getting another Sonata. But, I am reading above issues customers have had and are making me think twice. This will be our fifth Hyundai in the family if I get another one. I got my money's worth out of it because I stayed on top of the oil changes.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I bought my Sonata 2011 brand new. To this day, I’ve had no major problems with 80,000 miles on it. Routinely, oil changes, new tires, two new batteries, sway bar needed replacement, struts, brakes and random critters chewing on wires. I have been in an accident with the vehicle, At a low speed I tried to merge over and got too close, the right light popped out and my front crunched. The airbags deployed and I had to get all of that repaired, however, I felt safe knowing that the car did do all that in a minor collision. Even for a GLS, it has a nice acceleration. Even if I don’t buy a Sonata in the future (seats a little too low for me), I will definitely stick with Hyundai brand. The only downfall, the indigo blue color. It’s expensive to get paint to fix scratches. I think current models might not have to worry about that.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2018

In 2012 I bought a brand new 2012 Hyundai Sonata. It now has 191,000 miles on it and a rod in the motor started knocking. My local mechanic said it would need a new motor. I took it into Lancaster County Motors Hyundai division where I bought it and they filed a report of my problem. Just received a phone call from Lancaster Hyundai and Hyundai Corporation is sending a new motor to be installed at no charge. I'm amazed at how Hyundai stands behind their cars. I'm a customer for life and would recommend to anyone that they should buy a Hyundai.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I am thrilled with my Hyundai Sonata. This is our second vehicle of this model. We are loyal customers and plan on buying more Sonatas in the future when needed. The handling of the vehicle is very easy. The warranty is also top notch - 100,000 miles. Service and parts are easy to obtain. It would be nice to have navigation, but I'm sure that will be included on any upcoming models we would buy. The cars are wonderful as they are and the overall performance is great!

Original review: June 11, 2019

My car broke down 4 times in the last 2 months (worse part was on my graduation from my doctoral program which left me in extreme tears as I almost didn't make the ceremony). I have returned my car back to dealership and do not feel safe in my car but apparently the only thing I can do is get it "fixed" under the warranty. I feel that my car is not safe to drive on the road as I have almost been in several accidents due to the nature of the car automatically decelerating while in smooth sailing traffic.

I feel that more could have been done and most, with the exception of a few, passed the blame. I have been diligently getting all maintenance services (oil change, filters, etc.) but yet I am the one who had to be inconvenienced for the past 2 months in and out of vehicles. Only once did someone help me remove my stuff from my car to the rental. I am very disappointed and really hope that Hyundai work on treating their customers with better care. I just want to feel safe in my car and I do not because all I can think about is the car possibly breaking down again. I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata with about 54,000 miles on it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: June 6, 2019

I leased a "brand new" 2011 Sonata. Was told at the signing I would be able to qualify for the 10yr/100,000 mile warranty should I chose to finance the car in 3 years. LIE. By the time I got to 6 years and 48,000 miles... any "extended warranty" I received after financing the car was gone. GEICO has a great "extended warranty plan." I found this out when I tried to get my Air Conditioner fixed by Hyundai at about this mark.

The warranty is not granted to anyone buying the car after it has been leased... In other words, according to the Hyundai of Metairie Service & Finance People: "NO CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED WARRANTY EXISTS". THEN THE ENGINE FAILURE AVALANCHE: Within 2 months had to replace: Battery, Engine, 2 Starter Motors, 2 Radiator Fans, Pully/Tensioner System, either a Suspension or Control Arm AND it took 7-8 months of my complaining about Loud Noises under the hood (they could "never hear it") to finally tell me the Alternator needs to be replaced.

They never wanted to pay for any of it. Never found anything wrong with it unless I turned around and blamed them on the spot. Had to fight tooth and nail just to get a rental car or have them. Then there is the Hyundai Claims Settlement... OH MY GOD. It was suppose to take a maximum of 2 months. 6-7 months later... it's still ongoing. Besides trying AVOIDING RESPONSIBILITY AT ALL COSTS, the items that their claims website says is covered (batteries, towing, and other items addressed during the fix) are repeatedly denied at every turn, even going as far as not covering a towing expense. Whats more, when they "issued claim decision", they said there is no way to reimburse me for that towing that they admit to covering verbally.

DON'T EXPECT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM: After calling 60 -100 times, I might have got my case manager on the phone a total of 8. The last 2 case managers, I've got them on the phone 1 time out of 20 calls and messages. Only got an email from one stating a "Final Verdict" of settlements. Additional phone calls had employees lying about being out the office, call back in 10 minutes, that person doesn't work with us, you need to call another department because we can't make decisions once finalized, you need to call the previous department back and talk to a supervisor because I was told a non-truth, etc. If you want the Phone Call recordings, I got those to back it up. The word you are looking for is NOT HYUNDAI. You are looking for HONDA.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I purchased a brand new 2018 Hyundai Sonata Sport in November 2018 from Lee Hyundai Florence, SC. On May, 20th 2019 the vehicle needed a wire harness knock sensor replaced due to engine light flashing and the vehicle not accelerating over 60mph. Once replaced, after days, I took my vehicle home and the problem reoccurred. I took the vehicle back to the very next day and was told they had to erase the car computer’s diagnostics memory because the vehicle was fixed; however it DID NOT work. The same day I had to return back, once again, to Lee Hyundai of Florence, SC because the vehicle was still NOT fixed after the 3rd attempt. Later that evening I was told they really did NOT know what was wrong and had to order another another part.

On May 29th, 2019 I called to get a status on the findings and was told they did NOT know when whatever part the car needed was going to be in and that it was on backorder. Still under warranty, this is a very unfortunate and major let down. I am seeking out to Consumers Affairs to formally represent me on behalf of making the dealer buy that vehicle back with a zero dollar balance. I do NOT want the vehicle back nor will I repurchase another Hyundai. With Kind Regards, Jessica.

Original review: May 2, 2019

There are thousands of reports of this car lurching forward, all on its own, and wrecking. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and I rear ended the lady in front of me. If she had not been there, I'd have gone right into incoming traffic and would most likely be dead. How can they get away with this? DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI, EVER. This car is terrifying to drive.

Original review: April 28, 2019

My car has been towed 4 times in less than a year of purchase. 1st the Relay Sensor twice, then the Starter, then a recall on the engine software that I got NO NOTIFICATION on. I found out a month later while getting an oil change and tire rotation. Then as I'm getting off the exit almost 2 hrs from home, the engine light comes on. The next day, I barely made it to the closest dealership to find out that the update was only temporary and thank God I was not on the highway when the engine computer malfunctioned because it would have slowed me down in the middle of 80 miles an hour track.

So, roadside assistance can only tow me to a local dealership. If they tow me home, it will cost me almost $400 out of pocket. The dealership has no loaner cars available because of the same issues on vehicles people purchased there. Then my dealership where I purchased the car tells me to rent a car to get home, but they don't understand that I am 2 hrs away from home. And to top it all off, to get a loaner from where I purchased the car would have them to FREEZE $500 of my money for their issue. THIS IS GARBAGE AND I'M APPALLED BY THIS LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE when I'm paying my hard earned money for a vehicle I have to worry about breaking down.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I bought a 2017 Hyundai Sonata. After 2 years Hyundai told me that there is a recall on the engine (it was for thousands of other models from 2011 to 2018 check your car). They changed the engine (refurbish only) and a week after the replacement of the engine the engine failed again. Hyundai tried to buy back the car for 55% of the value. It look to me that Hyundai is scamming the consumers and hiding the truth about the quality of the car. 2 engines in one week... Hyundai will not stay behind this defective cars as they try to push the cost on the customer. I opened a case with the BBB and it look that the BBB is working for the car industry...so don’t spend your time. The best option looks a legal one. Anyone that got an idea or question can email me at **. Thanks. Rudi **.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I bought my 2016 Hyundai Sonata 3 yrs ago and loved it until the engine dies on my over a month ago. Found out it was due to a recall on the engine software. It has been over a month and my car is still sitting at the dealer. No ETA as to when I can expect a new engine, a loaner or any reimbursement for the rental cars I had to use to get to work. Now I am broke, about to be unemployed and still no word from Hyundai. I am paying for a car I can't drive, was assigned a case manager from Hyundai who was suppose to provide updates and I have not heard from this person and this is truly frustrating.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My husband and I bought a brand new 2018 Hyundai Sonata February 2018. February 2019 while driving home form work the car shut down. We brought it into a Hyundai dealership where it is still there, today is 4/10/2019. We were told it needs a new engine and they have been waiting for it to arrive. This is crazy.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I own a 2010 Sonata. The rear brakes together and right brake (additionally) separately have the brakes freeze. First you can hear some grinding. Shortly (within a couple of days) the grinding is loud and with every braking. The brake seizing grinding noise is constant, even without braking. Tire becomes too hot to touch. You can smell burning rubber inside the car.

I have had the brakes (pads, rotors, caliper all replaced twice) done out of pocket. The second time the pads were under warranty - the rest I paid for again. The master cylinder was also replaced. Nothing changed. My mechanic contacted Hyundai mechanic(s). Was told Hyuandi was not familiar with this issue and they had no advice to offer.

My mechanic took the system apart, reassembled, made another adjustment. This time it worked, although my mechanic was not sure exactly why. Until last evening. The car deeply grinds when brakes are depressed. Back break is beginning to ‘freeze up’. Next call is back to my mechanic. Hopefully, at least the pads will still be under warranty. It is not safe to drive it this way. I have seen this issue in several forums. Definitely not alone with this issue. Hyuandi finally issued a TSB on this issue. I do not understand when there are enough complaints to issue a TSB - but no one has died (yet) so Hyuandi will not be subject to a mandated recall. Nor pay for TSB repairs. Sad someone must die before a recall will be issued. I checked with NTSB and no death = no recall.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We purchased our used 2015 Hyundai Sonata in Jan of 2018. We also purchased a maintenance package which covers oil changes, filters, tire rotations etc... So keeping the maintenance up was done and on time. On Feb 15th 2019 (1 yr later) we broke down. We had no gas power and the car just would not go. The check engine light was flashing also. We obviously pulled over and got the car towed to the dealership where we purchased the car. A few days later the dealership calls and lets us know we need a new engine.

We had the car one (1) year and kept the maintenance up and now we find out these cars engines are bad...Team Chevy Team Mazda DGDG in Vallejo Ca sold us this car. We are now waiting to see of Hyundai is going to step up and take responsibility for these engines that are affecting so many of us. We currently have 65,000 miles on this car. This dealership should also step up. They have to know there is a problem with these cars and still they sell them to the public?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I had my new 2017 Sonata less than five months and it had 5281 miles on it when the car first stalled at highway speed. That was 11 May 2017. I limped the car to the Catonsville, Maryland Hyundai dealer, a couple of miles away, to find out the car had gone into "limp" mode. That was the first of 11 trips to the dealer either having the car towed or rolled into the service lot. After about the eighth trip, Hyundai sent their regional tech to service the vehicle. A lot of guesses were made and parts replaced, but the car kept failing.

Hyundai USA corporate office offered to assess the car for "lemon law" compensation, but that would take three months and I'd only be reimbursed for part of my purchase price if they concurred. I couldn't go three months without a vehicle, so the eleventh time the car stalled out, on 26 July, I rolled it into the dealer's lot and traded it for another 2017 Sonata. I took a loss on the trade in because the salesman said they'd have to sell the car at auction because it was inoperable. The trade cost me about $5000 overall, not including time missed from work.

In February 2018, I received a recall notice from Hyundai to replace a potentially faulty inhibitor switch, which could cause the vehicle to go into "limp mode" at highway speed. I had the inhibitor switch replaced on my new Sonata, and the service department manager agreed that that must have been the problem with my original Sonata. He promised to do what he could to compensate me for the loss I took on the trade in. After contacting the dealership several times, I was told in December 2018 that there was nothing the dealer or Hyundai would do for me. That included my suggestion for simply offering me free oil changes.

This is the seventh Hyundai my family has owned, and other than this bad experience, we have enthusiastically endorsed the brand. I'm mostly disappointed that I can no longer purchase or recommend a Hyundai product knowing that the company and their dealerships won't stand behind their vehicles or take care of their loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

It was a freezing morning in Brooklyn NY when I went down trying to start my 2018 Hyundai Sonata but without success (The battery worked just fine but the motor didn't want to start for any money). A couple of my friends who have some knowledge in cars came down trying to help me but without success, it seems like the problem was the cold but as far as I'm concerned my car should be working in any weather. So at the end I had to use Uber to go to work and to return home. The very next day I went down again trying to start my car, it took some couple of minutes struggling but at the end the motor gave in to me. I emailed Hyundai a day later to see what we can do so this shouldn't happen again but as of now they haven't responded (I've tried tagging them on Twitter as well). I was a big fan of Hyundai before this but everything has changed now, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone anymore.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I bought the car brand new six years ago and on 1/5/19 it just started to stall as I was driving. I got out of the car because it was smoking, and a few minutes later it was up in flames. I did go back for the engine recalled in September 2017 and my car still caught on fire. Obviously, it was not fixed properly when it was recalled.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

So my 2007 Hyundai Sonata caught on fire all of a sudden. I kept the car in great shape and kept up on all maintenance. I was on my way to work when my car caught on fire out of nowhere. Showed no signs of problems up until a few moments before it caught. I contact Hyundai and set up a claim. They said they sent someone to look at the vehicle but they lied about it and they never came and since they didn’t perform an inspection they said they weren’t liable. This is the worst company in the world. I don’t understand how a 10 yr old car catches fire but my 25 year old Jeep Wrangler that I’ve owned for 7 years runs like a champ. The only thing that makes sense is that they cut corners in manufacturing. Maybe if they spent more time treating consumers right they wouldn’t have such a poor review on here. Save yourself the time and don’t buy a Hyundai.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Trash Corporate and dealership! I bought a brand-new Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 2015 and 3 years later, My radiator broke! And I made a big deal about it and I involved my insurance. I still paid for the whole thing! I was mad at that time but after 6 months, my car starting to overheat whenever I drive it. I took it to the Downey Hyundai dealership for 3 times! They couldn’t find out why the car overheat! (I spent 2 months going back and forth to the dealer and they can’t find the issue.) After the motor got burned! They tried to make me pay for it.

The car is 3 years old with just 27,000 miles on it. Telling me it’s my fault for driving with overheat engine. So, I spoke to the corporate and I submitted a case for this stupid dealer and I they told me they will give me 3,500$… I refused. I wanted to reimburse this broken car or get a brand-new car instead and they refused! The car is still at the dealer for the past 3 months and they didn’t order the engine parts for it yet. The corporate will not take any action, but to give me 3,500$ to shut up. Hyundai corporate are trash along with their dealerships! I will NEVER BUY A HYUNDAI AGAIN!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I have more than one newer Hyundai. The Sonata version has had an airbag failure at 41,000 miles. A part has failed which shut down the complete airbag (safety restraint system) so that it is not functional. After taking it to a dealer, the answer to me was it was not covered by warranty and the charge will be over $700 to fix. The auto is now unsafe to drive here in the northeast. This is just one of the issues with my present Hyundai. One of my Santa Fe Turbos with 15k miles went in for a recall on the undercoating and when they were done, they burned up the car's computer. Car now dead. The earlier Hyundai cars had good warranty coverage...but now they have let us down. I guess I will have to switch to Toyota or Subaru... I'm upset.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My 2012 Sonata has several cracks in the dash despite having less than 50K miles on it. Hyundai has a customer service set up that sends all the same complaints about a person right back to the same representative and it's impossible to get answers and results. They only want to repeat a script. REMEMBER THAT WHICH IS CHEAP ENDS UP BEING EXPENSIVE. This is the case with Hyundais as they came to the US market a sparkling, new competitor. Now they have a large percentage of the vehicles on the American roads and don't care about the consumer. Save your money and buy a better car - HYUNDAIS ARE A PIECE OF JUNK!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

2011 Sonata Engine Defective. Always smell of oil burning inside the cabin interior. It's always burning more and more oil but told no leaks. The bogus engine recall. I have had for years the burning engine oil smell inside and over consumption of oil in between 3,000 mile changes up to 1 1/2 qts extra in between. They do a bogus engine recall test at Hyundai dealer after telling them all of that. They tell me your engine is OK it passed the test so it's not one of the engine we accidentally got metal shavings in engine when it was built in Birmingham, Al. It's obvious they call a recall but then make believe it's not all the affected engines to blow people off. Now just got a letter airbag has a recall. My transmission slips what a junk car. It should be criminal towards Hyundai to design a car so poorly made. Then Consumer Reports gives 2011 Sonata in early 2010 a 92 score. Boy were they wrong?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

These vehicles should be banned in the US. Korea is the only place this product should be further tested as a prototype. The vehicles are not safe and should be taken off the market. No further production should be legally allowed until thorough, long term testing has been successful. No warranty, rebate, incentive or feature is worth gambling with your life or the lives of your loved ones. Period. 11/27/2018: 2012 Sonata - driving on 2 way local highway 55 mph. Loss of power. Car decelerates, smokes and engine stalls and dies WHILE driving. Children in car. Absolutely HORRID experience.

Car towed to Lithia Springs Hyundai - Thornton Road. Service Tech advise car cannot be located. Next business day (Monday) car is out but without key. Monday evening, key is "found" in dropbox. Dealer confirms car is part of National Engine Recall but I will likely not get a loaner or repair for months. I call NHTSA. Follow advise to call Hyundai Corp. I'm assigned a case manager who will call me 11/6. I'm told to Uber or rent my own rental car. Tuesday, I take off work. Wednesday, I Uber to work $40.00 1 way. I Uber to dealership who has NOT called to follow up. Arrive at dealership and demand rental.

Dealer says Hyundai Corp has approved SIC (rental). Dealer drives me to Hertz to get the smallest vehicle they have. Can't fit car seat or children in this car. Absolutely AWFUL. Called customer service. Rep is so apologetic but can't "do" anything. I was told nicely I should be glad I actually got a rental because others have been waiting WEEKS. Why in God's name is this company STILL doing business in the US? DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I am using Sonata GLS, only 50k drived. I am facing problem in transmission system. They changed my whole transmission system but still it's a more problem in that. Even I feel unsafe when I am driving, I don't know where I have to complain and how.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

In 2010, I bought two 2011 Hyundai Sonatas and one of them, the engine had to be replaced. Now the paint around the trunk is peeling off in chunks. We called them to tell them the issue and they just said “sorry”. P.S, done me once, and never buy from this brand again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The front end began to fall apart at approximately 60,000 miles. We have replaced the ignition switch, sending unit to gas tank, fuel pump, struts, tie-rods, steering rack and pinion, and all abs sensors. At 93,000 miles the ENGINE BLEW UP (Hyundai replaced due to the 100,000 mile warranty) while we were out of town traveling. Now the shocks need to be replaced. Additionally, there is an issue with the steering coupling.

After speaking with several customer care reps from Hyundai corporate regarding the defective coupling issue, I was told it was not a recall. It is a "Hyundai Campaign". They will only cover their defective part up to 100,000 miles. I guess if you reach 122,000, the part fixes its self and is no longer defective. How can a manufacturer get away with this??? I was also told that is not a safety issue. My steering wheel is loose, shakes with small bumps in the road and clicks every time I make a turn. Does that sound like a safety issue?? Not according to the Hyundai corporate. Who am I?? Just another dissatisfied, angry and frustrated customer who will eventually go away while they continue to make millions. Total Disgrace!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

This is my third and unfortunately last Hyundai (2012 Hyundai Sonata) that I will own. I took the car in for the recommended 75k service and asked for a check of the front end/suspension as there has been a noise coming from it for a few weeks. The dealer stated that the car needed the steering rack replaced for $1600. I questioned the vehicle with that mileage needing this replaced and they offered no answer, so I decided to call Hyundai Customer Service to voice my displeasure and spoke with a very helpful woman who agreed that this sounded unusual and assigned me a case manager to speak to.

Chris called me today and asked for the information and I replied did he want the longer version, which includes having the lower ball joints replaced three times and having had 4 alignments in the three years I have owned the car or the short version. He asked for the short version and told me there was nothing that could be done and would not even allow me to elaborate at all on the issues that I have had. I asked for an explanation and he said the car was out of warranty and basically too bad for me. I was not looking for a free repair, just looking for some explanation. I will repair the car as in good conscience I cannot give this problem to some unsuspecting buyer and trade it in. I will NEVER buy another Hyundai again and will be trading in my wife's KIA (as they own a portion of KIA) as well to avoid potential future problems. In this age of customer service, Hyundai needs to do some work.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I like the quality that is now put into Korean automobiles. They really give a lot of quality for the price paid and I feel they are giving a lot of value for the money spent. I like that the Hyundai Sonata includes a lot of standard features that would be extra in other automobiles. They also give a strong engine and a wide choice of colors.

Original review: June 16, 2018

It has a large interior, fuel economy and an aerodynamic shape. It has good gas mileage but with the touch of a button, it can be turned to turbo for extra power to pass other cars. It has a sleek overall appearance and it is a beautiful silver color that does not show how dirty you car is and always looks good. It has a Bluetooth compatibility with my iPhone and it also has car play which when you hook up your phone to it it puts your phone screen on the interactive screen. From there you can play your own music library, maps and navigation system.

It also reads your emails to you and lets you reply with voice recognition software and it allows you to use your phone to call or answer a call hands free and without looking at phone. It has a back up camera that is not only very useful in backing up but also when backing into a parking space. It has lots of storage both in the car interior and in the trunk. In the car it has a sunglasses holder, a large glove compartment and a middle console that has two drink holders, a change holder and a large compartment to hold CDs or lotion or pens or a pocket knife or my side arm which I take everywhere. However, I would like for it to Not have Black dash because it holds too much heat and also, would like a little darker seat colors to camouflage all the spills from grand babies.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The Hyundai Sonata starts up fine and drives fine. Good deal at the time at the car lot. It was originally 15000 and it was 13000 that day. I prefer to have a SUV but the Sonata was what I could afford at the time of purchase. I have owned it for a couple of years now and I still owe 7000. It has plenty of room for my two kids to fit comfortably and it is family friendly. However, it has engine problems, but haven't had any issues yet. It had a recap on the engine, I took it in and they just did a oil change. It also had a decal on the seatbelt, but it passed inspection. Also I wish it had a back up camera. Other than that, I like how you can move the mirrors from inside the car. Very helpful.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information