Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.46/5

Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

50 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I received a notice that there was a problem with the coil springs on my 2013 Sonata. By the time I received the notice, I had already replaced the coil springs and struts. I contacted the reimbursement dept. and they said that I needed to send a copy of the purchase, a copy of payment, a copy where I had a Hyundai dealer inspect the finished job, VIN #, and some other info. I sent this info. to two different people three times. They contacted me 3 times wanting the same information again. I bought the coil springs and struts through PayPal.

I sent them a copy of the complete transaction along with a copy of the bank statement that showed where PayPal deducted the amount from my checking account. They kept telling me they needed a copy of the bank statement or check. Anybody that uses PayPal knows that there is no check involved, just a deduction from your account. I hope nobody else has to deal with this dept. I think it was just a way to frustrate me and hope I would just go away.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Contacted Hyundai Canada customer service to inquire about the poorly made steering wheel coupler. In the USA Hyundai extended the warranty on this piece to 10 years 100,000 miles. Hyundai Canada refuses to comply. The coupler wears our readily, costs about 3.00 but costs 400.00 to replace. A worn coupler causes the vehicle steering wheel to have an unacceptable play or looseness causing the driver to constantly over correct steering. Extremely dangerous, yet I contacted Hyundai Canada on 7 different occasions, was promised a call back, never received one. They completely dismissed their responsibility to maintain quality control of this essential part of the steering wheel which will lead to an accident or possibly death to the passengers.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I own a 2016 Sonata Hybrid. I would not recommend this car to anyone. First of all it seems there is a problem with overheating and can cause the car to just shut off. My car has been in the dealership twice for this issue and was there for a total time of 3 weeks 2 days. I feel this is a serious issue and the dealer (Finch Hyundai) really has no idea what causes the issue. I was assured the first time the car was fixed. They replaced the Main start battery. The cost was over 300.00 out of my pocket. My old battery was just out of warranty. Read the fine print on warranties. Hyundai only guarantees for 2 years. They must use a very cheap battery. How many of you ever heard the start battery causing a overheating problem??

2 days later the car was back for the same issue. Overheating. A little over 2 weeks later due the water pump was on backorder the car is on the road. I do not trust the dealer has fixed the issue and I do not trust the Hyundai car I have. I have sent e-mails and talked to Hyundai Canada and I can honestly say that Hyundai Canada has the worst customer service I ever had. So be very cautious when considering a Hyundai car. Thank you. Joe

Original review: July 15, 2019

I returned a 2015 Sonata lease for a 2019 Sonata. The Aim Inspection Report indicated a left front Rim replacement which cost $350! A genuine Hyundai Rim from Detroit Tire and Rim Co. cost maximum $175! I did not question the outrageous cost. I simply wanted a receipt indicating I PAID Hyundai $350 so I could remit it to Fidelity Warranty in Florida for reimbursement. I spoke to six Customer Service personnel including Supervisors in Leasing and Maturity Departments to no avail. I spoke to Hyundai Corporate HQ (844)462-5557 and was told nothing could be done and go back to the people I already spoke to.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I purchased a preowned C.P.O. Sonata Limited. My 2nd Hyundai purchase. While attempting to claim the car via the website, I could not "claim" the car, because the VIN# was already claimed (by the original lease). I called MyHyundai Consumer Affairs, they were no help, demanding I send copies of my driver's license, Bill of Sale & new registration. I do NOT send copies of anything with Personally Identifiable Information on it. They said I could go to the dealer and the dealer would be able to assist. The dealer called 2 times and go the same information. After I asked to speak to a supervisor, the agent told me "The supervisor can't do anything for you, these are the rules". I then demanded to speak to someone in authority. Within 5 minutes, the entire issue was resolved.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: June 11, 2019

My car broke down 4 times in the last 2 months (worse part was on my graduation from my doctoral program which left me in extreme tears as I almost didn't make the ceremony). I have returned my car back to dealership and do not feel safe in my car but apparently the only thing I can do is get it "fixed" under the warranty. I feel that my car is not safe to drive on the road as I have almost been in several accidents due to the nature of the car automatically decelerating while in smooth sailing traffic.

I feel that more could have been done and most, with the exception of a few, passed the blame. I have been diligently getting all maintenance services (oil change, filters, etc.) but yet I am the one who had to be inconvenienced for the past 2 months in and out of vehicles. Only once did someone help me remove my stuff from my car to the rental. I am very disappointed and really hope that Hyundai work on treating their customers with better care. I just want to feel safe in my car and I do not because all I can think about is the car possibly breaking down again. I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata with about 54,000 miles on it.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I leased a "brand new" 2011 Sonata. Was told at the signing I would be able to qualify for the 10yr/100,000 mile warranty should I chose to finance the car in 3 years. LIE. By the time I got to 6 years and 48,000 miles... any "extended warranty" I received after financing the car was gone. GEICO has a great "extended warranty plan." I found this out when I tried to get my Air Conditioner fixed by Hyundai at about this mark.

The warranty is not granted to anyone buying the car after it has been leased... In other words, according to the Hyundai of Metairie Service & Finance People: "NO CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED WARRANTY EXISTS". THEN THE ENGINE FAILURE AVALANCHE: Within 2 months had to replace: Battery, Engine, 2 Starter Motors, 2 Radiator Fans, Pully/Tensioner System, either a Suspension or Control Arm AND it took 7-8 months of my complaining about Loud Noises under the hood (they could "never hear it") to finally tell me the Alternator needs to be replaced.

They never wanted to pay for any of it. Never found anything wrong with it unless I turned around and blamed them on the spot. Had to fight tooth and nail just to get a rental car or have them. Then there is the Hyundai Claims Settlement... OH MY GOD. It was suppose to take a maximum of 2 months. 6-7 months later... it's still ongoing. Besides trying AVOIDING RESPONSIBILITY AT ALL COSTS, the items that their claims website says is covered (batteries, towing, and other items addressed during the fix) are repeatedly denied at every turn, even going as far as not covering a towing expense. Whats more, when they "issued claim decision", they said there is no way to reimburse me for that towing that they admit to covering verbally.

DON'T EXPECT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM: After calling 60 -100 times, I might have got my case manager on the phone a total of 8. The last 2 case managers, I've got them on the phone 1 time out of 20 calls and messages. Only got an email from one stating a "Final Verdict" of settlements. Additional phone calls had employees lying about being out the office, call back in 10 minutes, that person doesn't work with us, you need to call another department because we can't make decisions once finalized, you need to call the previous department back and talk to a supervisor because I was told a non-truth, etc. If you want the Phone Call recordings, I got those to back it up. The word you are looking for is NOT HYUNDAI. You are looking for HONDA.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I purchased a brand new 2018 Hyundai Sonata Sport in November 2018 from Lee Hyundai Florence, SC. On May, 20th 2019 the vehicle needed a wire harness knock sensor replaced due to engine light flashing and the vehicle not accelerating over 60mph. Once replaced, after days, I took my vehicle home and the problem reoccurred. I took the vehicle back to the very next day and was told they had to erase the car computer’s diagnostics memory because the vehicle was fixed; however it DID NOT work. The same day I had to return back, once again, to Lee Hyundai of Florence, SC because the vehicle was still NOT fixed after the 3rd attempt. Later that evening I was told they really did NOT know what was wrong and had to order another another part.

On May 29th, 2019 I called to get a status on the findings and was told they did NOT know when whatever part the car needed was going to be in and that it was on backorder. Still under warranty, this is a very unfortunate and major let down. I am seeking out to Consumers Affairs to formally represent me on behalf of making the dealer buy that vehicle back with a zero dollar balance. I do NOT want the vehicle back nor will I repurchase another Hyundai. With Kind Regards, Jessica.

Original review: May 2, 2019

There are thousands of reports of this car lurching forward, all on its own, and wrecking. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and I rear ended the lady in front of me. If she had not been there, I'd have gone right into incoming traffic and would most likely be dead. How can they get away with this? DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI, EVER. This car is terrifying to drive.

Original review: April 28, 2019

My car has been towed 4 times in less than a year of purchase. 1st the Relay Sensor twice, then the Starter, then a recall on the engine software that I got NO NOTIFICATION on. I found out a month later while getting an oil change and tire rotation. Then as I'm getting off the exit almost 2 hrs from home, the engine light comes on. The next day, I barely made it to the closest dealership to find out that the update was only temporary and thank God I was not on the highway when the engine computer malfunctioned because it would have slowed me down in the middle of 80 miles an hour track.

So, roadside assistance can only tow me to a local dealership. If they tow me home, it will cost me almost $400 out of pocket. The dealership has no loaner cars available because of the same issues on vehicles people purchased there. Then my dealership where I purchased the car tells me to rent a car to get home, but they don't understand that I am 2 hrs away from home. And to top it all off, to get a loaner from where I purchased the car would have them to FREEZE $500 of my money for their issue. THIS IS GARBAGE AND I'M APPALLED BY THIS LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE when I'm paying my hard earned money for a vehicle I have to worry about breaking down.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information