4.0/5 (284 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper

About Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I bought my 2021 Sonata Limited off the lot in April. It was a decent car until it hit about the 1 year mark. I then started having problems with my car where it would shake and lost all power. It was towed to the nearest dealership. Even though the check engine light had come on and told them the problem b/c the car wasn't do it anymore they made me come get it. Less than 24hrs later it did it again and I had to have it towed for the 2nd time. They had it for over a week and didn't do anything to fix it. Gave it back, was driving on the freeway at 85 and lost all power again. Towed again to different dealership-they had it for over a week and said it was fixed. Drove it home and less than a week doing the same thing. Towed to another dealership-They had it for 2 weeks and finally "fixed" it. The car doesn't have the power it used to have and doesn't run right.

About a month ago my check engine light came on again, took it in and was the Catalytic converter-They tried to fix it, stripped bolts and had to take the turbo off and send it to an outside machine shop. They had my car for 3 weeks. Runs sluggish, no get up and go anymore and Hyundai won't do anything for me. Worst part is I have a Palisade and that car is starting to fall apart at just 40k. Stay away. they are terrible

Resolution response: Oct. 19, 2022

After a few weeks and a back and forth exchange with the help of The Better Business Bureau, Hyundai Consumer Affairs reached out to me with an offer letter for the remaining balance of the rental car reimbursement. I accepted and now have what I was asking for. Needless to say, it was a lot of hassle and after all said and done I do not feel like a valued customer and will not be doing business with Hyundai for my future vehicles. That said, I do appreciate that they finally did the right thing so I am bumping their rating up by 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I purchased a 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in 2017 with a 10 year/100K mile warranty. November of 2021 my Sonata randomly shut off as I was taking the family to dinner. It would restart and briefly run before shutting off again. I called roadside assistance and had my vehicle towed to the dealership (Johnson Hyundai of Cary) where I purchased it. This is the beginning of my nightmare. For 6 months my car was in the shop!! It was towed November 15, 2021 before finally being = repaired and returned to me May 16, 2022.

During this time period I was informed that the dealership could not provide me a loaner car because all their loaner cars were loaned out (which should maybe tell you something about the quality of vehicles they build). That said, the dealership told me to rent a car and that Hyundai of America would reimburse me the cost of the rental. I insisted on getting details on the reimbursement process and stipulations. Furthermore, I wanted the details in writing. I was unable to get that. After speaking with several people at the dealership and two different case managers at Hyundai Consumer Affairs I was given only a vague reassurance that so long as my rental was less than $60 a day then Hyundai "should" reimburse me. It wasn't the concrete information that I wanted but I also needed to get to work somehow and I was tired of playing phone tag.

During the time my car was in the shop being repaired (under warranty) I racked up $4,737.64 in rental fees. On May 16, 2022 I submitted my reimbursement claim. Jump to today (09/19/2022)- I get a call saying my reimbursement has been approved and they will cut me a check on the 23rd (meaning I still have not received anything). They also tell me that the check will only be for $3,616.65 (a difference of $1,120.99) because they were not going to pay for the Damage Waiver or satellite radio I added to the rental cars even though with those additions the cost per day was under $60.

This is theft in my opinion. I attempted multiple times to get this exact kind of information out of them before I began renting cars to no avail. Yes, I could have gone without the Damage Waiver but I wanted to cover myself should anything happen to the rental. Yes, I could have gone without satellite radio (and would have if I'd known the rules of the game up front) but I wanted the rental to be near as comfortable to the car I owned that needed repairs through no fault of my own.

As far as I am concerned, with the warranty they were providing (that was a large selling point for me) I should have to pay nothing due to their faulty engineering. I was less than thrilled to be driving non hybrid rentals and paying more in gas every day. I was less than thrilled with the amount of time and energy that it took to check on the status of my vehicle and get answers about a loaner/rental. Which, by the way, has a very real cost to me as in the form of taking time away from work.

I am less than thrilled about carrying a balance on my credit card for the rentals as they would not reimburse me for the rentals until the repairs to my car were complete. And I am less than thrilled that it has taken from May 16 till now to finally hear that a check is going to be cut to me in short order. Because if it were the other way around and I took 6 months to pay them the nearly $5K I owed, they would send me to collections. Furthermore, the check being cut for $1,120.99 shy of what they rightly owe me in accordance with the vague parameters they provided me around my reimbursement claim is not only unacceptable but criminal. My recommendation is to not buy from this company.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I bought a Hyundai Sonata sport 2.0T. After it reached 110.000, the engine had a problem with OIL CONSUMPTION; I purchased an Extended Warranty with a PROTECTION PORTFOLIO (Never buy this insurance, but it does cover nothing in the end), and they said that it was a manufacturing problem from Hyundai. Still, Hyundai washes their hands and declines, saying it is out of warranty. At this point, no one responded. I have to buy a new engine that is over $9.000. I would never recommend this brand, mainly because after 100.000 miles, you will need a new ENGINE, and no one will respond; at that time, the coverage will end, and even if you buy an extended warranty, it will not cover.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Purchased a 2017 Hyundai 2/20. Several months ago there was a hailstorm. Afterward numerous large chips of paint were missing. Found out it was a manufacturing defect in paint. Hyundai only wanted to pay 80% of 2 panels. There were 3 panels with large paint chips and I noticed many small ones starting to form. When calling Hyundai they told me I would have to give up that "good will" offering and resubmit with the 3 panels and chances are I would get nothing! I also had to have the paint job done at that dealer. My cost to do 2 panels was almost $400. My cost for the 3rd panel around $900 to $1,000. Plus when the other panels start chipping another $900 to $1,000 per panel! That is outrageous for a 2017 vehicle. Sold the car and will not purchase another vehicle from Hyundai or its subsidiaries.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Motor went out and was under warranty. It's been in the shop for over a year. Finally Hyundai decided after two failed motors that they would buy our car back. The offer came in and they would buy our car back once we paid them $1,000. Now that's not. They would buy our car. Once we paid him $1,000 we had to pay them $1,000 and they would take our car back. This was a recall on a motor. We own the car and they wanted us to pay them to buy it back. Absolutely ridiculous. Will never ever buy another Hyundai as we still fight to get our car back just as it was when we took it in one year ago. Still sitting in the service shop. Waiting for a motor.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

2013 Knock Sensor and Engine recall. Engine light started flashing. Low acceleration. 97000 miles, warranty extended, Hyundai backed up 1 month to get appt. Tear Engine down. If bad replace. ETA MONTHS.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I'll start by saying I have been a loyal customer of Hyundai for many years. This is my second Hyundai vehicle and I was quite happy with it until last year, when the paint on my vehicle started peeling unexpectedly. After some research, I learned that it's a known issue which would typically result in a recall (but did not). The dealership I work through filed a claim with Hyundai on my behalf which was denied. Paint continued peeling in the same spot as well as in new areas. At this rate, my car will look like a military vehicle thanks to the camouflage effect of the peeling paint, which continues spreading and popping up all over the car.

When I tried appealing with Hyundai, I was told that once the original claim is denied, there is nothing else Hyundai can do for me. I am pretty much out of luck and need to pay out of pocket to repaint the entire vehicle. In my opinion, this is a very poor customer approach. If I contributed to the issue in any way or if it was just a small area that was affected, I would have considered handling it on my own. However, since the issue is caused by Hyundai's known problem with poor quality of paint/paint job, expecting a customer to cover the cost to fix it is unreasonable.

I can understand that warranty cannot last forever for things like engines, for example, but peeling paint is not a normal "wear and tear" process (if it was good quality to begin with). Again, the issue is known and widespread. I am not sure who from Hyundai may read this review, but I do hope that it will prompt Hyundai to revisit their decision. Otherwise, this is the last time I will ever buy or recommend Hyundai to anyone because in my eyes, I've been sold a lemon, a bad product the company knows is bad and won't take ownership of the problem. It's just poor business.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

2nd Owner of a 2016 Hyundai Sonata and since day one, I noticed the massive amounts of oil the vehicle consumed. I have tried to contact the dealer who I purchased the vehicle from and they will not help because they are a KIA dealership and they only service KIA vehicles, so they referred me to a Hyundai dealership. Since then I have done several oil consumption tests and all of them deemed the vehicle consuming large amounts of oil. When I finally scheduled a oil consumption test with World Hyundai, on my way to do the test the vehicle seized while driving! (Ironic) Soon as I get to the dealership (stealer ship) they tell me they cannot help unless it is covered by Warranty. To be covered by warranty it specifically states to test rod bearing failure, which the dealership refused to do unless I changed the spark plugs. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

Shout out to the guys at South Point Hyundai service department. Stopped by without an appointment to get help getting my car key dislodged from the ignition. The guys teamed up, jumped in and resolved the issue in minutes. They were super kind, very knowledgeable and sensitive to my situation. Personable and courteous! Double Five Stars. ⭐️

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. I bought this at a dealership and have had nothing but issues! Recently my car broke down randomly no check engine lights nothing. I’ve gotten oil changes for the past year every other month and no one could tell me the issue. It ended up being a recall issue and Hyundai has had my car 3 weeks and pretty much told me go screw myself oh well. No help with a rental, no resolution and no care for the work I’ve missed or the fact that this car is garbage. Do not buy.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information