2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

3.8/5 (225 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

The engine of the car broke without any warning. It only had 130000. Apparently they have engine recalls 2011 Sonata but didn't want to help me. I'm very disappointed. Think about buying Hyundai. Never buying Hyundai again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

It won't start, stranded me in Tennessee. Left for dead on Tennessee and told to find own way home with 97 year old grandmother. No one will help me. I have begged and cried and pleaded. Does anyone know who can help me?

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Roadside service not honored. Engine failed. Had to purchase Roadside service. Reprogrammed motor and Justin of service stated 50 50 chance of motor failing again. I am driving an unsafe 2016 Hyundai Sonata. Justin at service said he would call me Monday July 12 because the big wings would be in the office. I called him and received voice mail. He has not called me back. I still have no resolution to Roadside service or unsafe car. Please help.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Purchased a brand new 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T with 13 miles on the odometer. At 4,000 miles, the oil light and check engine light illuminated. Took the car into the Hyundai dealership for its first oil & filter change. Service dept. said to keep an eye on the oil and check engine light as they could not duplicate the issue. At approx. 5,000 miles the lights came on again. I took the car to the Hyundai dealer and they kept it for 2 days. Upon picking the car up the service department said they could not duplicate the issue and the car is OK. At 8,000 miles the light issues re-appeared and I took the car in for an oil & filter service and left the car there for 2 days. The service dept. said they could not duplicate the issue and the car is OK. At approx. 12,000 miles the same light issues re-appeared and the dealer changed oil & filter and ran some tests. They assured me nothing was wrong.

Winter set in and I could hear "clatter or ticking" from the engine compartment. Hyundai service said "it's normal because of winter." No, I had enough of this. I envisioned this car as being a continual headache and traded it for a new top of the line Honda Accord V-6 and have driven happily ever after. Last year, I get a postcard in the mail advising me of a class action lawsuit against Hyundai and I was eligible if I still own the car. Glad I got rid of the Hyundai and will never buy another.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

MY Hyundai Sonata 2013 has Engine problem KM 119600 only, Hyundai Canada not taking any responsibility, I visited Hyundai Dealership more than five time. Sorry to say dealership not ready to fix the engine problem. I complained to the head office Hyundai Canada, No one taking any responsibility!! Please let me know how to complain? You will find problem after few years and Hyundai company will not take any responsibility. I spent 35000/- for purchasing this car. I am really disappointed!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Sonata with 10 miles on the odometer. It was a great car for 39,119 miles, then came the engine problems. I first noticed a metallic rattle coming from the engine at around 4000 RPM. I took it to the dealership. They noticed that the car was a quart and a half low on oil and found metal shavings on the dipstick...on a 39,000 mile car. They started an oil consumption test, and of course they tried to blow me off. Once getting the car back back from the dealer (RaySkillman Hyundai west in Indianapolis IN.) I found that they had overfill the oil by a quart and a half, the exact amount that it burned. I went back and let them have it, when I got home, I noticed that the oil was overfilled again.

The car now has 51,125 miles and sometimes it’ll burn A quart of oil, sometimes it’ll burn a half a quart oil, sometimes it won’t burn any at all. What is going on with my car is NOT normal. Hyundai is doing nothing about it, they only care about your money. Grandma had a 2013 Elantra and the engine started knocking at 36,000 miles, the transmission went out at 57,000 miles, she’s had numerous suspension and electrical problems with that car. I will never ever ever buy a Hyundai.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

Hi, I bought my Aunt's Car an 2006 Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl with only 57.000 miles on it. A real Granny Car. I was so happy until the Engine light turn On. Also a turning left light blinking fast. My mechanic change the sensors that the code said and nothing. I decided to take it to a Hyundai dealership because their mechanics can solve the problem. Almost a month and the car hasn't been repaired. Then they call saying that the repair cost $2.700 when in Kelly Blue Book the car cost $2.300. Freaking disappointment with Hyundai! It's August 1, 2020 and I am still waiting for my car!

Original review: July 21, 2020

I would never buy from this company again. I have a 2017 Sonata that has broke down several times and has been in the shop for over a month and they said they would take care of me and still have not satisfied my concerns. I was left stranded with my family waiting for a tow truck on the side of the road for hours. Missed hours of work getting towed and the list goes on. So I told them I would take whatever they would give me so I signed a form stating that I would be ok with $300 for the horrible experience I have had with my brand new car with under 50,000 miles and they send me an email back saying that I only get $200 now 8 months later.

I would never buy a car from this company again. We just bought a new Ford and have loved the service and taking care of me. Whatever you do dont buy from them. They say they will take care of you with so many empty promises and I dont even care if I get a dollar from them if my post can save people from making the mistake that I did. I have not felt satisfied. I understand that cars are going to have problems here and there but I expect after spending $24,000 on a new car they could take care of me in these issues but boy was I wrong. Hope this review finds you well. I wouldn't come within 10 feet of another Hyundai Dealer again.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I bought my 2016 Hyundai Sonata in 2017. My first year was great with my car. I take it in as required for maintenance as it has a great maintenance for life package. 2018 it began with things going wrong with the car- downshifting on the interstate from 6th to 5th gear. It took my car in 4 times in 2019 before the problem could be duplicated. It took me another 2 times before they decided to replace my transmission (dealer had my car for 42 days)- my car was 2 years old. The problem still occurs with the brand new transmission in addition to new issues (which they cannot duplicate the issue but I can each and every morning I drive my car). I have taken my car in for a few more issues this year and have now at least 3 times and issues cannot be duplicated. However when I pick my car up it duplicates the issue for me right away.

My warranty is going to run out in 24,000, and I have been trying to get issues resolved with my car since it had 60,000. When my warranty expires all of these things I have tried to get repaired and taken care of with my extended warranty will all be out of my pocket costs on a car that is less than 4 years old. I am terrified. I bought brand new because I didn't want the issues you would or could get buying used. The dealership I take it to is part of Hyundai and the customer car care people and mechanics let me explain what is going on and then look at me like I am dumb. Sometimes I ask is it because I am a woman? Or do they know the car is going to have issues and my warranty is coming up so let us look at it and not duplicate issue? Ultimately all I ask for is for a car that I get what I paid for- and I am not taken for granted. I need a car as I have to work, and I have a family to take care of.

Original review: May 9, 2020

On 1/4/2020 I bought a brand new Hyundai Sonata. Very excited, it was my very first car purchase under my name. 3 months into this purchase and I feel it’s a death trap. The car just turned off and stopped while I was driving it. This happened on 4/12/2020. I didn’t give it much importance. Less than 3 weeks later it happened again. I’m driving the car and it stops out of nowhere. Now I start worrying about what’s going on with the car..luckily this happened at a shopping center parking lot and not while driving in the freeway.

The next day I call the dealership with my concerns and obviously they don’t care. They treated me like I was a nobody, but that’s another story. I took the car in to have that issue fixed. The next day I go to pick it up and they only fixed some recalls the car had. They said the computer didn’t see anything else concerning my issue.

At this point I can’t trust my own car. I can’t drive a car not knowing what’s causing my car to stop while in motion. I can’t drive my car knowing that the issue hasn’t been fixed. After I told that to the guy at the dealership, he just told me if it happens again bring it back. To me it didn’t make sense so I decided to leave the car there and Perdue a case with Hyundai motor America. After they open the case Hyundai America told the dealership to just run the car for 50-80 miles to duplicate the issue. I called and they said to pick up the car because the couldn’t duplicate the issue and the car is fine. If I don’t pick it up I might start getting charged for leaving the vehicle there.

I love the car, the look, how it drives but I don’t trust at this point. I feel like it’s a death trap and that I’m putting my Life in danger al also my families. They just say if it happens again bring it back, but I don’t want to take the risk of the issue happening again. For a brand new car with very low miles I shouldn’t be having any issues especially one that might hurt people. I don’t know what else to do. Don’t buy this vehicle until they can assure that it won’t be stopping while you are driving. I’m on the hook for 6 years so I don’t know what I’ll do but I don’t feel I’ll be driving a Hyundai Sonata again in my life.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information