Hyundai Sonata

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

About Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

Stars Rating

• 20%
  • 13%
  • 4%
  • 19%
  • 44%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2023

I bought two Hyundai one 2012 and 2016 both with same engine problems from factory, when you try to fix with dealer they just try to wash his hand and make you to pay $800 for diagnostic when you know is a noise engine defect before get 100,00 miles, they just try to help you if you bought on dealer and made all maintenance with them, this is ridiculous, all my cars always are and keep in excellent shape…I will never buy this brand again, no more hyundai for me.

Customer Service

Reviewed Nov. 17, 2023

I preface this to say I am not the original owner, but I've now had 7 trips into a dealership including 4 for oil consumption tests (after 1,000 miles of driving each time) that clearly show their engine is failing. Hyundai refuses to even offer any discount to replace the engine they know is garbage; this means that I now have the choice of driving until the bearings fail at which point they would have to replace entirely for free or I get to shell out $10,000 out of pocket. Everyone I know understands to never buy a Hyundai given they have had obviously bad products they hid, have bad resale knowing these problems, and even worse customer service philosophy. I hope this review helps others avoid this manufacturer, especially anyone looking for used vehicles. You may be safe if you're the original owner, but even that is risky. I never had a problem with Nissan or Toyota, if that helps anyone.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2023

I have a 2016 Sonata SE love it, however it has 2 major issues both manufacturer's defects. First one is oil consumption. Then I have paint peeling on the roof where the roof meets top of windshield. Problem started about 8 months ago. I thought it was something I did.after looking into the problem I found out that Hyundai is very aware of problem. Champaigns and possibly a class action lawsuit. I called Hyundai to see what I could do. I was told to take it to a dealership and they'd do an inspection and go from there. Well I heard from dealership and was told that Hyundai would pay 60% of the cost to repair problem and I was responsible for the other 40% which would cost me about $950. I was absolutely floored. I was told to contact Hyundai and see if I could appeal the decision so I did and a rep named Amber contacted me I explained situation she said she would look into it and get back to me.

She contacted me a few days informing me there's nothing that can be done that their decision was final. I was upset I explained the situation in full and asked how could I be responsible for the problem Amber said she'd see what she could do and get back to me. Received call 10/30/2023 and was told there's nothing Hyundai can do final decision stands I'd have to pay 40% I kept my cool and ended conversion with Amber and now sharing my horrible disgusting no customer service support story.

Adding more info I have texts messages from my autobody person regarding the problem when it first started cause Amber first tried to say I waited too long to report issue which clearly I didn't, then she came back with I didn't have an extended warranty and to that I replied how the hell would I have known about the problem? I then said obviously Hyundai knew about the problem and you're still not budging,I told her I was contacting my local new stations and see if I could get help and told her that everyone there should be retrained to actually help the customer. I was even thinking of purchasing a new Sonata well that will never happen and I will tell everyone not to buy anything Hyundai makes.

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2023

Our 2014 Hyundai Sonnata's engine seized over a month ago now. We had it towed three days later to the dealer as there was a recall for the engine and possible repairs on an extended warranty as a result. Here we are more than 30 days later and I have yet to receive a call on how my vehicle is doing. We have a case manager assigned to the case but she will not call me. I leave her an average of 2 messages a day and she will not call back. I call the local dealer that is still "running tests" on the vehicle to see if it is covered under warranty and she tells me she cannot help.

Customer service says they can't help. Apparently case managers do not have supervisors. NO ONE CAN HELP. We have over $1,200 in rental fees meanwhile and not only do I not have an answer on the car, I have no idea if I will get reimbursed for these fees that I cannot afford. THIS IS THE WORST SERVICE EVER!!!! If you can avoid buying from this company, DO AT ALL COSTS.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2023

We purchased a used 2016 Sonata for $12,000 with 84,000 miles in Aug 2021. At 130,000 miles all of a sudden the engine quit. Called corporate and quickly they told me to take it to a Hyundai service location to make sure it qualified for lifetime engine warranty; because the engines in those few years were having trouble. Got our vehicle qualified by dealership and they replaced the engine at no cost to us. Quick, thorough, customer-friendly service and saved us a bunch of money when we did not know what we were getting into. I will definitely buy a car from Hyundai again if their services like this!

Coverage

Reviewed Sept. 13, 2023

We purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata from the Hyundai dealer in 2011 with only 7000 miles. I have meticulously cared for this car. It has always been garage kept, oil changed at 5000 miles, and all recalls performed. In 2021. I noticed it started excessively using oil with well under 100,000 miles on it. Took it to the original selling dealer and was told it was not covered under the hundred thousand mile warranty because I was not the original owner. Very frustrating when you buy for less superior car for the warranty and the company won’t stand behind their product.

Reliability

Reviewed July 11, 2023

I bought the car in October 22 and it was working fine. On Saturday, July 1st, I went to have dinner with my family and the car would not start. The was smoke at the back of the car. The car was towed the next morning and the service department at Hyundai told me I had to wait at least a month for the car to be inspected. Therefore, until the car is inspected I don’t have a loaner or a rental car, so I’m spending an insane amount of money in Uber. I was told that after the inspection it may take 4 or 5 months for the car to be repaired. We’re talking about a new car with an allegedly defective engine. It is not my fault the car doesn’t start. I need a solution ASAP.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed June 26, 2023

I bought a brand-new Hyundai Sonata on March 11 in Minnesota. Two months later, I moved to Colorado and on the way the car broke down with 1,353 miles on it in a desolate area of Colorado. It had to be towed to Greeley, Colorado. At first, I was told by the service manager at 5:05 p.m. on May 22, before the car would be looked at the next day, that I might have put bad gas in the car and then it wouldn't be covered under warranty. He estimated the repair cost could be $8,000 to $9,000 in such a scenario. Obviously, that caused me a sleepless night. The next day, however, I was informed that the car had a bad fuel injector and was covered. I was given a loaner car while it took it took several days to repair but I did have to drive four hours round trip back to retrieve my vehicle.

It was indicated to me that I would be entitled for some trip interruption reimbursement due to having to spend a night in Greeley under my own expense before I was to go to Denver two hours down the road where I would stay free with my brother. I also had some other costs. I was sent an email May 25 by a woman named Katy, who said she was my case manager at Hyundai, asking for information. I responded in full to that email on May 29. Since then, Katy has mostly ignored all my emails and voicemails. She did call me once on June 12 and promised she would call me back in a half hour because I was busy. Two weeks have gone by and she has never called back despite numerous emails and voicemails.

I have spoken to several supervisors at Hyundai customer service and they claim that it will be looked into but nothing has happened and four weeks have gone by. My car has been running fine since being repaired but who knows what the future holds for it. But considering the customer service I have received, I certainly am having regrets about having bought a vehicle from Hyundai.

Customer Service

Reviewed May 31, 2023

Bought a new 2017 Sonata and within a year paint was peeling off. Hyundai said not their problem. The engine burns 4 quarts of oil in 2500 miles. Hyundai knows this is an issue and that the engine will need replaced but has had me jumping through hoops for 6 months and every time I do what they tell me to do, they add something new. Absolutely horrible experience and I wouldn't drive another Hyundai if they gave it to me for free. Horrible car. Horrible customer service. Horrible company.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 12, 2023

First time Hyundai buyer. Picked up the Sonata N line. Started having problems with it about 8500 miles. Brought it in for service, they didn’t repair it. They claim they couldn’t duplicate problem. Left dealership immediately. Had same problems. Rescheduled an appointment, once again they couldn’t duplicate problems. Contacted Hyundai corporate, what a waste of time. They scheduled my appointment at a new dealership. What a waste of time again. Had a case manager Leena, this lady could care less about my problems with the car. The car sat at the second dealership for a week and Leena claimed they were still diagnosing car.

I received a call a week after car sat on lot. Leena told me they haven’t looked at the car and they were 3 weeks back logged. No one whatsoever notified me of this prior to bringing car back n. Hyundai is a joke. Along with their dealerships. Save your money. Do your research on Hyundai. It’s horrendous the amount of issues and complaints against them.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information