3.51/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

At 105k my steering wheel started making clunking noises, did research and knew exactly what it was. The part itself is $1.26 but I got charged for extensive labor costs. This should of been a recall, as it was a safety concern and I should not have to pay b/c Hyundai decided to use a cheap part in the steering column. They said it had an extended warranty but only up to 100k, and I was just past that.

After fighting with national and a rude case manager, I Just forked up the cash. I also got an oil change during my visit, and 2 weeks later my oil light came on and I had no oil. It was a weekend so I bought oil to put in my car until I could go to the dealership Monday, They said I would need to pay for another oil change and start an oil consumption test. I got another oil change and 2 days later my oil light back on and it was over halfway gone.

The manager told me to come back once more 2 days later and he would get me a rental and my engine would be replaced per warranty on it up to 12ok. I get a call 3 days later saying they are not fixing it and I need to come get my car and bring it back to get topped off every time the oil gets low. I am extremely dissatisfied and considering trading this car in for something else. AVOID HYUNDAI. Customer service and the dealership are horrible. I will gladly go back to Honda or Toyota and not deal with this BS ever again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Had clunking noise in front end when turning wheel or parking. Took to my mechanic and he said it was the steering coupler which is a known issue in the Sonata. Recommended that I call them and see what they could do for me. Since this was a problem, they extended the warranty to 100,000 miles or ten years. Well of course I had a little over 100,000 miles on my 2012 Sonata. Had to pay 100 times for labor of what the part cost. If it would not have been a safety issue, I would not have replaced it. I feel that since it was a safety issue, Hyundai should have been responsible. My car has mostly highway miles so many parts may last longer than city driving. The warranty on the new part is 1 year or 12,000 miles so guess I may be looking at a different make of car when that time comes.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Bought a new 2018 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited after my 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan broke down after the 10th time but this time out of warranty decided to traded it in instead of fixing the Genesis. The Sonata has had 3 issues, but one has occurred 6 times now. The car has been in the shop 6 times in the past 10 months of owning it, coming around on the 19th day my car has been at the dealer for the since 09/09/19. My cars hybrid systems has issues over and over again, each time they add fluids, replace parts, flush systems. This last time, the 19 days at the dealer, the car was having the same issue but this time a technician drove it home multiple times and had the car hooked up to a tablet. The tablet showed that the cars hybrid system was overheating, the car never once notified the driver about this overheating issues, had to wait for Korea to know how to fix the Sonata.

My car has 35,*** miles on it, had been to the dealer since 6,000 miles with this issue, the computer showed the that the cars hybrid system has been overheating since mile 208. The car is ready for pick up tomorrow 09/30/19. Technician From Hyundai in Korea said to replace the water pump, the computer system, and the radiator cap. They call me Friday and tell me it’s ready to go home. So now I have a car with some new parts, but for 35,000 miles the other parts have been getting damaged.

I called Hyundai customer support about lemon law, they took info and requested service records. Two days go by I talk to a nice lady, explains Hyundai is looking over the info and has approved the LEMON BUYBACK, they would send me over a offer. I get the Lemon buyback offer, they offer me $2000 to keep the vehicle and the other offer was the buy back. All payments refunded, down payment, and Pay off loan. But mileages is at 35k, I’m in the car driving on the highway 3/5 hours a day there’s a mileage fee. The want me to pay $10,500+ for mileage.

I call Hyundai and ask for a better offer, the buy back is way out of the picture, Hyundai would essentially be making another $3,000-$6000 off selling the car again after I paid $11,000. On the phone with the agent, asked if I can have 20% of the msrp of $31,000 or a mileage reduction and help with down payment on a Genesis g70-80 3.3t sport. The reply I got was the same on the buy back, pay the $11,000, or take the increased petty cash of $3000 to keep it, but this was their final offer. I asked if I could get $4000 back and a extend warranty on the car to reinsure the car will be okay, the reply was “Per the review team the final offer is what was sent to you in the revised offer letter,” which was the offer the agent emailed about the $3000.

Hyundai is charging me $10,500+ for mileage. I owed on my Genesis when I traded in so I only had a small down payment at the time, so I would have to pay Hyundai $9,000 for them to take my broken car back. I’m stuck with a certified lemon car that I bought brand new, I will never buy Hyundai again after this. I am going to call tomorrow to a Lemon Lawyer to see what my options are on 10/02/19.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Took my car to dealership for recall, also for a clunking sound on my car. Mechanic stated was my tire rod ends, that was not the case. After they put them on and charged me for his labor and amount of work, had to take out credit at dealership to pay. Left facility, same clunking noise. Went back next morning, another mechanic took. Put me in the car back-up and said it was the axles, but the tire rod ends was put on as a miscall on the behave of the first mechanic. Caught you. Imagine if I left the facility and and did not go back for that clunking noise and believe what that first mechanic had said and drove my car on the highway in the traffic and those axles would have gave way, what kind of accident that would have cause on that Highway not only for myself; for others on that road as well.

Not able to get my axles done, because paying for tire rods that didn't need to be done. I'm requested that the company would make wrong right, fix my axles on behave, of the wrong call that was made on my car - there was nothing wrong with my tire rod ends. If that was so I would have known to express that but mechanic said it was so. I was given a survey, I filled it out with a 1 rating. Not mad but concern how this dealership responses to what their mistakes are. Running a business, not checking the people that work for them doing wrong but request from you give them a 5 star rating.

See copy of what was send and said to me by message as is..."Good Evening Elaine, it Jennifer from Hyundai. I left a message earlier. My manager asked me to reach out regarding the survey you filled out. I was hoping you would consider rescoring. I understand you are dissatisfied with the service but that survey it is like a report card and comes back to me personally. If there's anything I can do to get a 5-star rating pleaaase let me know what I can do." And that's the message. Worry about a 5 star rating instead of making about wrong right.... Thank you for hearing me..

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I received a notice that there was a problem with the coil springs on my 2013 Sonata. By the time I received the notice, I had already replaced the coil springs and struts. I contacted the reimbursement dept. and they said that I needed to send a copy of the purchase, a copy of payment, a copy where I had a Hyundai dealer inspect the finished job, VIN #, and some other info. I sent this info. to two different people three times. They contacted me 3 times wanting the same information again. I bought the coil springs and struts through PayPal.

I sent them a copy of the complete transaction along with a copy of the bank statement that showed where PayPal deducted the amount from my checking account. They kept telling me they needed a copy of the bank statement or check. Anybody that uses PayPal knows that there is no check involved, just a deduction from your account. I hope nobody else has to deal with this dept. I think it was just a way to frustrate me and hope I would just go away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Contacted Hyundai Canada customer service to inquire about the poorly made steering wheel coupler. In the USA Hyundai extended the warranty on this piece to 10 years 100,000 miles. Hyundai Canada refuses to comply. The coupler wears our readily, costs about 3.00 but costs 400.00 to replace. A worn coupler causes the vehicle steering wheel to have an unacceptable play or looseness causing the driver to constantly over correct steering. Extremely dangerous, yet I contacted Hyundai Canada on 7 different occasions, was promised a call back, never received one. They completely dismissed their responsibility to maintain quality control of this essential part of the steering wheel which will lead to an accident or possibly death to the passengers.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I own a 2016 Sonata Hybrid. I would not recommend this car to anyone. First of all it seems there is a problem with overheating and can cause the car to just shut off. My car has been in the dealership twice for this issue and was there for a total time of 3 weeks 2 days. I feel this is a serious issue and the dealer (Finch Hyundai) really has no idea what causes the issue. I was assured the first time the car was fixed. They replaced the Main start battery. The cost was over 300.00 out of my pocket. My old battery was just out of warranty. Read the fine print on warranties. Hyundai only guarantees for 2 years. They must use a very cheap battery. How many of you ever heard the start battery causing a overheating problem??

2 days later the car was back for the same issue. Overheating. A little over 2 weeks later due the water pump was on backorder the car is on the road. I do not trust the dealer has fixed the issue and I do not trust the Hyundai car I have. I have sent e-mails and talked to Hyundai Canada and I can honestly say that Hyundai Canada has the worst customer service I ever had. So be very cautious when considering a Hyundai car. Thank you. Joe

Original review: July 15, 2019

I returned a 2015 Sonata lease for a 2019 Sonata. The Aim Inspection Report indicated a left front Rim replacement which cost $350! A genuine Hyundai Rim from Detroit Tire and Rim Co. cost maximum $175! I did not question the outrageous cost. I simply wanted a receipt indicating I PAID Hyundai $350 so I could remit it to Fidelity Warranty in Florida for reimbursement. I spoke to six Customer Service personnel including Supervisors in Leasing and Maturity Departments to no avail. I spoke to Hyundai Corporate HQ (844)462-5557 and was told nothing could be done and go back to the people I already spoke to.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I purchased a preowned C.P.O. Sonata Limited. My 2nd Hyundai purchase. While attempting to claim the car via the website, I could not "claim" the car, because the VIN# was already claimed (by the original lease). I called MyHyundai Consumer Affairs, they were no help, demanding I send copies of my driver's license, Bill of Sale & new registration. I do NOT send copies of anything with Personally Identifiable Information on it. They said I could go to the dealer and the dealer would be able to assist. The dealer called 2 times and go the same information. After I asked to speak to a supervisor, the agent told me "The supervisor can't do anything for you, these are the rules". I then demanded to speak to someone in authority. Within 5 minutes, the entire issue was resolved.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My car broke down 4 times in the last 2 months (worse part was on my graduation from my doctoral program which left me in extreme tears as I almost didn't make the ceremony). I have returned my car back to dealership and do not feel safe in my car but apparently the only thing I can do is get it "fixed" under the warranty. I feel that my car is not safe to drive on the road as I have almost been in several accidents due to the nature of the car automatically decelerating while in smooth sailing traffic.

I feel that more could have been done and most, with the exception of a few, passed the blame. I have been diligently getting all maintenance services (oil change, filters, etc.) but yet I am the one who had to be inconvenienced for the past 2 months in and out of vehicles. Only once did someone help me remove my stuff from my car to the rental. I am very disappointed and really hope that Hyundai work on treating their customers with better care. I just want to feel safe in my car and I do not because all I can think about is the car possibly breaking down again. I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata with about 54,000 miles on it.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information