3.9/5 (264 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: April 20, 2022

I'll start by saying I have been a loyal customer of Hyundai for many years. This is my second Hyundai vehicle and I was quite happy with it until last year, when the paint on my vehicle started peeling unexpectedly. After some research, I learned that it's a known issue which would typically result in a recall (but did not). The dealership I work through filed a claim with Hyundai on my behalf which was denied. Paint continued peeling in the same spot as well as in new areas. At this rate, my car will look like a military vehicle thanks to the camouflage effect of the peeling paint, which continues spreading and popping up all over the car.

When I tried appealing with Hyundai, I was told that once the original claim is denied, there is nothing else Hyundai can do for me. I am pretty much out of luck and need to pay out of pocket to repaint the entire vehicle. In my opinion, this is a very poor customer approach. If I contributed to the issue in any way or if it was just a small area that was affected, I would have considered handling it on my own. However, since the issue is caused by Hyundai's known problem with poor quality of paint/paint job, expecting a customer to cover the cost to fix it is unreasonable.

I can understand that warranty cannot last forever for things like engines, for example, but peeling paint is not a normal "wear and tear" process (if it was good quality to begin with). Again, the issue is known and widespread. I am not sure who from Hyundai may read this review, but I do hope that it will prompt Hyundai to revisit their decision. Otherwise, this is the last time I will ever buy or recommend Hyundai to anyone because in my eyes, I've been sold a lemon, a bad product the company knows is bad and won't take ownership of the problem. It's just poor business.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

2nd Owner of a 2016 Hyundai Sonata and since day one, I noticed the massive amounts of oil the vehicle consumed. I have tried to contact the dealer who I purchased the vehicle from and they will not help because they are a KIA dealership and they only service KIA vehicles, so they referred me to a Hyundai dealership. Since then I have done several oil consumption tests and all of them deemed the vehicle consuming large amounts of oil. When I finally scheduled a oil consumption test with World Hyundai, on my way to do the test the vehicle seized while driving! (Ironic) Soon as I get to the dealership (stealer ship) they tell me they cannot help unless it is covered by Warranty. To be covered by warranty it specifically states to test rod bearing failure, which the dealership refused to do unless I changed the spark plugs. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

Shout out to the guys at South Point Hyundai service department. Stopped by without an appointment to get help getting my car key dislodged from the ignition. The guys teamed up, jumped in and resolved the issue in minutes. They were super kind, very knowledgeable and sensitive to my situation. Personable and courteous! Double Five Stars. ⭐️

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. I bought this at a dealership and have had nothing but issues! Recently my car broke down randomly no check engine lights nothing. I’ve gotten oil changes for the past year every other month and no one could tell me the issue. It ended up being a recall issue and Hyundai has had my car 3 weeks and pretty much told me go screw myself oh well. No help with a rental, no resolution and no care for the work I’ve missed or the fact that this car is garbage. Do not buy.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

My daughter bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in 2017 as a 16 year old. At age 20 the car had 98,000 mi and is just about 10 years old. Because she is a second owner, she doesn’t get to use the 10 year, 100,000 mi warranty but we heard that within the recall timeframe they do sometimes help customers. This is not the case for us. My daughter did take care of her car but not at the dealerships because they are too expensive. She did not know of the engine recall.

Within only 2 months of the recall timing, her engine broke. Hyundai will do nothing at all to help her even though they admit to creating a faulty engine. The car is stuck at a Hyundai dealership that did confirm her engine troubles are because of the faulty Hyundai craftsmanship and they have applied to Hyundai for help and we have been turned down. This has now left a full time college student without a car to get to school or work and no funds to replace her car or engine. We will never support or promote Hyundai because they clearly do not support their customers or choose to build loyal customers.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata has been burning oil since it hit 120,000 miles. Hyundai had sent a few letters explaining that this is a known problem in their Sonata's from 2011-2014. I did the Oil Consumption Test as per the requirements in order to possibly have the motor replaced. They proceeded to tell my dealership that it is not covered because the car is over 100,000 miles. I had a case worker with Hyundai tell me that if there is an internal problem with the car they will replace the motor. They are saying that it is normal wear and tear. I have never had a car burn oil as this one does and it's progressively getting worse. The car burns 3 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. Obviously it is an internal problem if it is burning oil. Either that or they lie about how good their cars are and that they don't last more than 120,000 miles.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and loved it. In 2018 the car started periodically stalling out, all lights on dashboard came on, and this annoying alarm starts beeping. My dash reads "Hybrid Check System warning" and it told me to pull over. It would usually start after 10 or 15 minutes and I wouldn't have that problems for months down the road again. I took it to the dealership in Longview, Tx and of course they never could find anything. I even recorded it one time with my phone and when I went to show them they didn't seem interested.

Mind you this started in 2018 and the car was still under warranty at that time. I have even emailed Hyundai headquarters, and they replied they tried to reach me, but that's not true either. Over a month ago the car stalled out. Same dashboard lights and alarm, only this time it would not start. Had it towed to the dealership and they tell me the motor is locked up, and remind me several times the warranty is now out on the car. Mind you I have been trying to get help since 2018 while car was still under warranty. Needless to say I have no answers, no car, not even a rental offered to me. Did I mention Hyundai just issued an engine recall within the last several months? Mine was supposedly not affected, but how ironic my cars motor has locked up on me now..BAD BUSINESS.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Hyundai refused to cover seized motor on 2011 Hyundai Sonata due to me not performing the knock sensor upgrade despite being informed by MULTIPLE Hyundai customer care representatives that the upgrade notification was never mailed to me. Was mailed to previous owner!! Hyundai was found at fault for producing a defective vehicle which just so happened to be one that I owned and in a effort to put a band aid on their defective motors they required that the knock sensor be installed for the motor to be covered. Would have been incredibly nice to know this Hyundai! Oh but the previous owned was notified so claim denied. Completely ignorant! Will never consider purchasing another Hyundai and I will make sure to tell my experience to anyone and everyone who will listen.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

It took me six months to get title to the car after I purchased it when the lease is up. I still do not have the bill of sale for the car. The customer service is terrible and rude. They keep on lying that they sent it out but I still do not have it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

In 2018, I purchased a brand new Hyundai Sonata for my 16 year old daughter. I felt that she could have the car at least till she graduated college with the Hyundai 5 Year/60K Mile warranty. What could go wrong? About 19 months after owning the car, the antenna fin cover on the roof and the front Hyundai grill emblem "H" came off while washing the car. By the way, I have a yearly car wash subscription with a local car wash business so the car gets washed at least twice a week. Anyway, I was able to recover the the fin cover but not the front emblem.

I take the car to the dealership to have fixed/replaced. Guess what? The service tech tells me they are not covered. What?? It has a 5 year/60k mile warranty. Nope. Those items are considered accessories. So what! Well, accessories are only covered under the 12 month/1 year warranty. Sure enough, Hyundai has a 12 month/1 year warranty on "accessories". Now, keep in mind, these items were installed at the factory when it rolled off the line and in fact are on EVERY SINGLE HYUNDAI SONATA. Okay. Shame on me for assuming that the 5 year/60k warranty meant "bumper to bumper". However, the car still ran great.

Now, fast forward another year. I get a notice that there is a major engine flaw in these Sonatas. I get a notice that they are extending the engine warranty way past the powertrain warranty. Cool. They identify a major problem and are willing to correct it. However, last month, the volume button on the steering wheel broke. No biggie. I'll take it to the dealership to fix it (under warranty) when I get the oil changed. I've owned this vehicle for three years now and have 26,000 miles on it. All maintenance done on this vehicle has ALL been done at a Hyundai dealership. All records reflect that.

So, the dealership changes the oil but will not replace the button. Why? Not covered. Service tech says it is because of abuse. Really? The button goes up and down. That's it. The car is washed and cleaned at least twice a week. You can eat off the floor of this car. In fact, I get a cold call from the salespeople just about every time I take it in for an oil change that they want to buy the car back or if I'm interested in trading it in. Dealership will fix the button for $350. Ummmm, NO.

So, I reach out to Hyundai Customer Care for assistance. Long story short, they referred me back to my local Hyundai dealership. I'm done. I have reached my limit. Hyundai's drivetrain may go a half million miles but doesn't mean squat if the vehicle falls apart around it. If Hyundai will not fix the simple things "under warranty", I refuse to take a chance on something major happening. I've owned numerous vehicles in my 46 years on this planet and have NEVER, EVER had such a problem with any auto manufacturer/dealership honoring their warranties.

I traded the Sonata in on a Toyota Camry faster than the time it took to buy it. I know for a fact that Toyota will honor their workmanship and warranties. I was very disappointed in what Hyundai did. They tout their long warranties and customer service. But the warranty is only as good as the service backing it. I, nor my family will do business with Hyundai. I cannot in good conscience recommend Hyundai to anybody. Good luck to the next sucker who buys this car.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information