Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
3.76/5
Based on 25 reviews that contain star ratings

Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

25 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I am using Sonata GLS, only 50k drived. I am facing problem in transmission system. They changed my whole transmission system but still it's a more problem in that. Even I feel unsafe when I am driving, I don't know where I have to complain and how.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

In 2010, I bought two 2011 Hyundai Sonatas and one of them, the engine had to be replaced. Now the paint around the trunk is peeling off in chunks. We called them to tell them the issue and they just said “sorry”. P.S, done me once, and never buy from this brand again.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The front end began to fall apart at approximately 60,000 miles. We have replaced the ignition switch, sending unit to gas tank, fuel pump, struts, tie-rods, steering rack and pinion, and all abs sensors. At 93,000 miles the ENGINE BLEW UP (Hyundai replaced due to the 100,000 mile warranty) while we were out of town traveling. Now the shocks need to be replaced. Additionally, there is an issue with the steering coupling.

After speaking with several customer care reps from Hyundai corporate regarding the defective coupling issue, I was told it was not a recall. It is a "Hyundai Campaign". They will only cover their defective part up to 100,000 miles. I guess if you reach 122,000, the part fixes its self and is no longer defective. How can a manufacturer get away with this??? I was also told that is not a safety issue. My steering wheel is loose, shakes with small bumps in the road and clicks every time I make a turn. Does that sound like a safety issue?? Not according to the Hyundai corporate. Who am I?? Just another dissatisfied, angry and frustrated customer who will eventually go away while they continue to make millions. Total Disgrace!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

This is my third and unfortunately last Hyundai (2012 Hyundai Sonata) that I will own. I took the car in for the recommended 75k service and asked for a check of the front end/suspension as there has been a noise coming from it for a few weeks. The dealer stated that the car needed the steering rack replaced for $1600. I questioned the vehicle with that mileage needing this replaced and they offered no answer, so I decided to call Hyundai Customer Service to voice my displeasure and spoke with a very helpful woman who agreed that this sounded unusual and assigned me a case manager to speak to.

Chris called me today and asked for the information and I replied did he want the longer version, which includes having the lower ball joints replaced three times and having had 4 alignments in the three years I have owned the car or the short version. He asked for the short version and told me there was nothing that could be done and would not even allow me to elaborate at all on the issues that I have had. I asked for an explanation and he said the car was out of warranty and basically too bad for me. I was not looking for a free repair, just looking for some explanation. I will repair the car as in good conscience I cannot give this problem to some unsuspecting buyer and trade it in. I will NEVER buy another Hyundai again and will be trading in my wife's KIA (as they own a portion of KIA) as well to avoid potential future problems. In this age of customer service, Hyundai needs to do some work.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I bought my Sonata 2011 brand new. To this day, I’ve had no major problems with 80,000 miles on it. Routinely, oil changes, new tires, two new batteries, sway bar needed replacement, struts, brakes and random critters chewing on wires. I have been in an accident with the vehicle, At a low speed I tried to merge over and got too close, the right light popped out and my front crunched. The airbags deployed and I had to get all of that repaired, however, I felt safe knowing that the car did do all that in a minor collision. Even for a GLS, it has a nice acceleration. Even if I don’t buy a Sonata in the future (seats a little too low for me), I will definitely stick with Hyundai brand. The only downfall, the indigo blue color. It’s expensive to get paint to fix scratches. I think current models might not have to worry about that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: July 11, 2018

In 2012 I bought a brand new 2012 Hyundai Sonata. It now has 191,000 miles on it and a rod in the motor started knocking. My local mechanic said it would need a new motor. I took it into Lancaster County Motors Hyundai division where I bought it and they filed a report of my problem. Just received a phone call from Lancaster Hyundai and Hyundai Corporation is sending a new motor to be installed at no charge. I'm amazed at how Hyundai stands behind their cars. I'm a customer for life and would recommend to anyone that they should buy a Hyundai.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I am thrilled with my Hyundai Sonata. This is our second vehicle of this model. We are loyal customers and plan on buying more Sonatas in the future when needed. The handling of the vehicle is very easy. The warranty is also top notch - 100,000 miles. Service and parts are easy to obtain. It would be nice to have navigation, but I'm sure that will be included on any upcoming models we would buy. The cars are wonderful as they are and the overall performance is great!

Original review: June 17, 2018

I like the quality that is now put into Korean automobiles. They really give a lot of quality for the price paid and I feel they are giving a lot of value for the money spent. I like that the Hyundai Sonata includes a lot of standard features that would be extra in other automobiles. They also give a strong engine and a wide choice of colors.

Original review: June 16, 2018

It has a large interior, fuel economy and an aerodynamic shape. It has good gas mileage but with the touch of a button, it can be turned to turbo for extra power to pass other cars. It has a sleek overall appearance and it is a beautiful silver color that does not show how dirty you car is and always looks good. It has a Bluetooth compatibility with my iPhone and it also has car play which when you hook up your phone to it it puts your phone screen on the interactive screen. From there you can play your own music library, maps and navigation system.

It also reads your emails to you and lets you reply with voice recognition software and it allows you to use your phone to call or answer a call hands free and without looking at phone. It has a back up camera that is not only very useful in backing up but also when backing into a parking space. It has lots of storage both in the car interior and in the trunk. In the car it has a sunglasses holder, a large glove compartment and a middle console that has two drink holders, a change holder and a large compartment to hold CDs or lotion or pens or a pocket knife or my side arm which I take everywhere. However, I would like for it to Not have Black dash because it holds too much heat and also, would like a little darker seat colors to camouflage all the spills from grand babies.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The Hyundai Sonata starts up fine and drives fine. Good deal at the time at the car lot. It was originally 15000 and it was 13000 that day. I prefer to have a SUV but the Sonata was what I could afford at the time of purchase. I have owned it for a couple of years now and I still owe 7000. It has plenty of room for my two kids to fit comfortably and it is family friendly. However, it has engine problems, but haven't had any issues yet. It had a recap on the engine, I took it in and they just did a oil change. It also had a decal on the seatbelt, but it passed inspection. Also I wish it had a back up camera. Other than that, I like how you can move the mirrors from inside the car. Very helpful.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with 2014 Hyundai Sonata. It is extremely reliable and dependable, and I have never had any major issues in the almost 2 years since I've gotten the car. I chose this car because I got an excellent deal on it and it runs like a gem. The features I really enjoy about this car are the smooth lines and how sporty it looks for a sedan. I also enjoy the heated seats and the blue tooth connection so that I may talk on the phone through the car speakers. The car also rides very smoothly! All in all, it's my smartest car purchase ever! But I wish my car had sunroofs. I'd also prefer a 2-door coupe as opposed to a sedan. I also dislike that it's only a 4-cylinder instead of a V-6 (I'd prefer it to have a little more power).

Original review: June 12, 2018

I am pretty happy with the Hyundai Sonata. It is nothing special, but I like the size of the car, it drives smoothly and has an affordable price. It does include a lot of safety features like the lane departure warning and back up camera. In addition, I do like the fact that it gets very good gas mileage. I also like the fact that it has automatic and heated seats. The sunroof is a nice touch too. While I'm satisfied with the car, I would like it to have dual climate control like my last car did. I would also like the car to handle better in rain and snow as it slides quickly in the snow.

Original review: May 9, 2018

2017 Sonata is my 5th one. I have never had any problems with any of them. Good on gas, quiet ride, enough room for 5 people, and good size trunk. Good in rain and snow, too.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Hyundai Sonata is as reliable as any car as I have ever had, inexpensive to maintain, and virtually no repairs over 154,000+ miles. No other car I have ever owned has done so well.

Original review: May 5, 2018

This my 3rd Sonata Hybrid. They just keep getting better. The 2017 has the battery under the vehicle so there's a full trunk now. I have taken two 1200 mile trips and have averaged over 42 miles per gallon.

Original review: May 4, 2018

WHILE MY HYUNDAI SONATA IS A 2004 BOUGHT NEW, I HAVE TO REPORT THAT IT HAS BEEN A MOST DEPENDABLE CAR. With not much more than routine maintenance, 2 new batteries, a new set of tires, new brakes, oil changes, and gas, it has dependably rolled on and on and on. We are ready for a new set of tires and to replace some blown fuses, but this car will probably still be rolling on when I go to my grave. (71) We are neither one shiny and new anymore, but she wears her years well.

Original review: May 3, 2018

The 2013 Hyundai Sonata SE has a surprisingly peppy engine for a 4 cylinder, although the seats can be more comfortably designed. The car never quite gets the alleged 35mpg on the highway, but that can be due to the diluted gasoline we get, mixed with ethanol. Another government scam foisted on the public, to benefit corn growers.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Hyundai Sonata looks and runs great & it's a awesome pleasure to drive. It's the fourth Hyundai we've had. It's built to give my family & myself a very safe & comfortable drive.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My 2013 Hyundai Sonata is reliable as it is beautiful. It's the first brand new car I ever purchased. It was a lot of bang for the buck. I've had a Cadillac, a Camry and a Maxima, but this car is very comfortable, energy efficient, and it has never been in for repairs - only one new set of brakes and one new set of tires. I've never once had a problem with it. I would purchase this car again in a heartbeat.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I purchased my Sonata brand new in October 2014. I had to regretfully leave it behind in September 2015 as we are now in Japan for 3 to 5 years. I could not ship the vehicle and since I was not authorized storage reimbursement we elected to leave behind for college student son to use. The short time I got to drive I really enjoyed plus got most of the added features that was a plus.

Original review: April 28, 2018

You need an extended electronics warranty. Hyundai Sonata Hybrids start to go at 39,000 miles. Thank goodness, I had a zero deductible warranty for a 100,000 miles.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This Sonata is my 6th Hyundai in 7 years. The cars look great, good design, everything you need for accessories is included. Great cars. They are quiet inside, I always buy the turbo models, great performance. The sound systems are very good quality too.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I purchased two Sonatas in past 6 years. One a 2011 model & the second a 2016. Both cars are performing well and the updates over years has increased greatly. The service dept at my dealer is excellent and free car washes for life of car.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Sonata - The paint on the exterior peeled off. I went to the dealer and he would not back the paint 'warranty'. For Hyundai it is 36000, regardless of age. The paint problem really made me mad. When I went to a paint shop, I was told Hyundai has had a problem for 10 years and they know it. The so-called 100000 warranty is also fraud. Try to use warranty, it gets technical and ends up costing you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Hyundai offers a great product at a decent price. Their warranty and service are excellent. This is my second Sonata! It is reliable and durable. Plus, the limited edition comes loaded!

Hyundai Sonata Company Information