2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The Sonata is a great value. I downsized from a 2016 Genesis. The features on the Sonata are equal to the Genesis. The cabin noise is louder but still not a deal breaker. The Sonata has a great interior and the seating is comfortable both front and back. This is a low maintenance vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I love the car but would not recommend the dealer. They rip you off. I hate to take my car there for service because I don't trust them. This is my fourth Sonata. Overall they are great cars. They are good in the snow - PA. Nice comfortable ride. I used to recommend Honda not anymore.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

First time owning a Hyundai Sonata and it has been better than I expected. Gas mileage is still 35+ on the highway with over 107K miles. Still rides smooth and is easy to handle. The car has had no problems with the mechanics or handling. The trunk is about 16 Sq Ft and we have been able to fill it, several times, without anything being broken.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

My Sonata is a great vehicle, the warranty at 100,000 miles is super, I've had 6 years and other than a sensor which was covered under the warranty, no issues. BlueLink makes me feel I have someone watching my back. My next vehicle will be Hyundai - possibly one of the new SUV's. GREAT mileage, regular week to work and back 26 mpg. Open road to another one of my offices, 1 hour trip, 32-33 mpg. Highly recommend.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Because this model car was reviewed in 2006 as the best value for money and the fact that it had all the bells and whistles included at no extra charge (sun roof, heated seats, aircon, hifi speakers & cd player, and much more) --we bought one new (gasoline model) for about $24,000 (in Europe). Besides that it had timeless good looks. We just sold the car for $2,000 after using it for nearly 14 years with no servicing, & no repairs at all. The Hyundai Sonata was the most reliable & most trouble free car we have ever owned. For reasons unknown, this model was (undeservedly) never popular in Europe. But we loved it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: May 13, 2020

I bought my 2016 Hyundai Sonata in 2017. My first year was great with my car. I take it in as required for maintenance as it has a great maintenance for life package. 2018 it began with things going wrong with the car- downshifting on the interstate from 6th to 5th gear. It took my car in 4 times in 2019 before the problem could be duplicated. It took me another 2 times before they decided to replace my transmission (dealer had my car for 42 days)- my car was 2 years old. The problem still occurs with the brand new transmission in addition to new issues (which they cannot duplicate the issue but I can each and every morning I drive my car). I have taken my car in for a few more issues this year and have now at least 3 times and issues cannot be duplicated. However when I pick my car up it duplicates the issue for me right away.

My warranty is going to run out in 24,000, and I have been trying to get issues resolved with my car since it had 60,000. When my warranty expires all of these things I have tried to get repaired and taken care of with my extended warranty will all be out of my pocket costs on a car that is less than 4 years old. I am terrified. I bought brand new because I didn't want the issues you would or could get buying used. The dealership I take it to is part of Hyundai and the customer car care people and mechanics let me explain what is going on and then look at me like I am dumb. Sometimes I ask is it because I am a woman? Or do they know the car is going to have issues and my warranty is coming up so let us look at it and not duplicate issue? Ultimately all I ask for is for a car that I get what I paid for- and I am not taken for granted. I need a car as I have to work, and I have a family to take care of.

Original review: May 9, 2020

On 1/4/2020 I bought a brand new Hyundai Sonata. Very excited, it was my very first car purchase under my name. 3 months into this purchase and I feel it’s a death trap. The car just turned off and stopped while I was driving it. This happened on 4/12/2020. I didn’t give it much importance. Less than 3 weeks later it happened again. I’m driving the car and it stops out of nowhere. Now I start worrying about what’s going on with the car..luckily this happened at a shopping center parking lot and not while driving in the freeway.

The next day I call the dealership with my concerns and obviously they don’t care. They treated me like I was a nobody, but that’s another story. I took the car in to have that issue fixed. The next day I go to pick it up and they only fixed some recalls the car had. They said the computer didn’t see anything else concerning my issue.

At this point I can’t trust my own car. I can’t drive a car not knowing what’s causing my car to stop while in motion. I can’t drive my car knowing that the issue hasn’t been fixed. After I told that to the guy at the dealership, he just told me if it happens again bring it back. To me it didn’t make sense so I decided to leave the car there and Perdue a case with Hyundai motor America. After they open the case Hyundai America told the dealership to just run the car for 50-80 miles to duplicate the issue. I called and they said to pick up the car because the couldn’t duplicate the issue and the car is fine. If I don’t pick it up I might start getting charged for leaving the vehicle there.

I love the car, the look, how it drives but I don’t trust at this point. I feel like it’s a death trap and that I’m putting my Life in danger al also my families. They just say if it happens again bring it back, but I don’t want to take the risk of the issue happening again. For a brand new car with very low miles I shouldn’t be having any issues especially one that might hurt people. I don’t know what else to do. Don’t buy this vehicle until they can assure that it won’t be stopping while you are driving. I’m on the hook for 6 years so I don’t know what I’ll do but I don’t feel I’ll be driving a Hyundai Sonata again in my life.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I traded a 2015 Sonata in for a 2020 Sonata. The remainder of my Blue Link subscription for the 2014 was cancelled on 2/8/2020. I have called blue link 6-7 times to get my refund. I am getting nowhere. The refund was supposed to be given within 2 weeks. It is now about 6 weeks and have gotten no answers from blue link. Just apologies and told my issue would be expedited three times now. This is unbelievable. Very frustrating and unhappy. Blue link is okay. Just don’t try and get a refund.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I bought a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport. 4 years later without any warnings the Engine burned out. When I took it to the mechanic/dealer they told me that since I was just over 100k miles I was out of warranty. I was quoted $8,000 plus to replace the Engine. I was told that Hyundai cars are known for this type of Engine problem. They know about it and they don't tell you before you buy. I still owe $6,000 on the car and now they want $8,000 to fix it? Wow!!! I would NEVER recommend anybody to buy Hyundai cars, and I would NEVER buy a Hyundai car again.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I have a Hyundai Sonata 2017. It has 75,140 mile on it now. I have taken care of the car like my baby. I have mostly gone to the dealership for any form of service etc. And I have done regular oil changes. Also, I got that transmission oil change + coolant flush at the recommended mileage. BUT, recently I noticed that the engine oil level is very low (an inch below the 'Low' mark), even though it has 2000 miles remaining for the next service.. yes exactly, it is burning my engine oil and needs a full repair. So basically at this 75000 mile mark I have to get my engine re-done.

TO be honest, that way I think Hyundai don't even stands close to other brands out there in the market. I was thinking, that my car will last at least for 100K miles, but unfortunately Not as it is burning the engine oil with the internal fuel daily. For the new buyers, I would not recommend Sonata to anyone anymore. Hyundai is a BAD brand for me. If you have any concern about me being legitimate about the above review, you can definitely ping me at **, I will get back to you.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information