2.38/5

Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

1401 Hyundai Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I am having a huge issue with the quality of service that I am receiving from Hyundai’s service department in Carlsbad. I had an issue with my car on Friday 10/5 around 730 am. I had the car brought to the service department at the dealership by AAA that morning. I received a call from the AAA driver that my car was dropped off at 815. I didn’t hear anything until 2pm from Ulysses that they received my car. He had a second to look at it and maybe it had just run out of gas. I explained that it was having issues prior & when the AAA guy jumped in it did turn on before bogging out so if they could do a diagnostic to the car just to make sure everything else was fine.

He asked for my consent to put $20 worth of gas in it and then let me know if it turned on before doing the diagnostic. It has now been 5 days and I have not received one text or call. I called to get an update about the gas, but Ulysses had already left for the day. When I called today I was placed on hold for 13 mins before a rude receptionist told me Ulysses was out for the next two days and won’t be getting to my car. Is this what I can now normally expect from this location? Before moving out here I would take it to the dealership in Corona and they have always given me the best service, quick and communicated great with what was going on. I now feel slight nervous and used leaving my car at a dealer that is so unresponsive and upright rude every time I’ve called.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have never been so disappointed in a brand in my life. I will die screaming from the rooftop how awful Hyundai has been in regard to this MAJOR recall. The engines was recalled in 2017. I had it check. ONE YEAR later it blew while I was driving it with kids in the car. The only way I could get urgency from anyone at Hyundai was to merge a call with corporate and the dealership together because neither could lie to me at that point.

Today 6 weeks later I am attempting to get my claim reimbursement and I just noticed NO ONE contacted me to tell me that there was missing documentation. So I called the claim department. They informed me that not only do I have to submit a receipt for the towing I needed to show a bank statement. Additionally, the documents that the "supervisor" Kaitlynn told me I was missing was completely different than the documents that Guadalupe (my claim agent) listed on my claim site. So had I not called I would have submitted documents that I didn't need to submit prolonging the entire bunk process set in place.

Now the dealership... I picked up my car and left a message on 9/29 asking for a return call. I called again today 10/9 because I had no return call. They listed a oil change sticker on my window for 8500 from the day I picked up my car. When I spoke to someone today they stated "oh no. It needs to be 3750 miles" and asked if I wanted to make an appointment. MAKE AN APPOINTMENT? I just picked up the car. NO. Nor will I take it back for additional service. This is a disaster and will be the LAST Hyundai I buy. BUYER BEWARE. This is not a good brand that values customer service. This is a cluster of a company that is barely getting by.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

2013 Veloster, still under "bumper to bumper" warranty. The windshield had "distortion", it was warranty replaced. Only to have another distorted windshield installed. Now they say "all like that" and will not replace it with one that is clear for viewing. ALSO the exhaust tailpipe is caked with dark greasy soot and needs constant cleaning. Clear evidence of a non-functional emissions system. I asked if it failed an "EPA emissions test" would they fix it... Hyundai dealer in Rockford Ill said "NO" not unless it shows a 'check engine" light. Well turns out Hyundai was sued by the EPA around 2012 for not meeting emission standards. Looks like another lawsuit is needed. Hyundai Warranty and support is a joke.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

PLEASE read this before you go purchase a vehicle from Hyundai Vacaville. My husband and I researched the new Hyundai Veloster and decided it was something we were interested in, the only problem was that to even look at one we would have to take the drive out to Vacaville, we were greeted by Dean and took the only one on the lot for a test drive. We fell in love with it, the next step was agreeing on a price. We played the haggling game (I did my research). We came to an agreement and up next was FINANCE. Let me start by saying we have excellent credit so this next step wasn't a concern, unfortunately we sat down with the shadiest crooked finance guy (GREG **). I'm aware of the stuff they try to push on you i.e. extra maintenance, Gap and paint protection, we just wanted the car.

We did opt for the car paint protection because as Greg put it it's only $4 a month. Move forward less than 24 hours later we spoke to Dean from the dealership and said we changed our mind about the paint protection and would like it removed from the contract, Dean informed us that Greg was not in, but he's let him know and get back to me.

Fast forward to Wednesday, no return call from Dean, I called and spoke to Dean direly and asked again about removing the added OPTIONAL paint protection, he said he spoke to Greg and it was too late. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE, I called less than 24 hours after. After many phone calls to Hyundai customer service I got nowhere. I decided to read through all my paperwork, lo and behold GREG ** not only were we stuck with the paint protection he also added GAP coverage, I specifically told him we would be paying off the car, why would I need GAP. Fortunately for me I caught it in time but the process to get it removed will not be easy. Long story short PLEASE take the extra time to go through every page of your paperwork and don't let anyone like GREG ** bully you into signing for any extras. May your next car buying experience be a happy one.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My daughter bought a 2013 Hyundai Azera with 33K miles on it. It just came out of warranty and within less than 2000 miles over warranty limit, her car needs a timing chain. She has diligently kept this vehicle well maintained, has all the service records to prove so. Hyundai knows and is fully well aware that there are issues with both the Azeras and the Sonatas regarding the timing chain, yet they refuse to repair this issue or even offer to cover a portion. Will not ever purchase another Hyundai vehicle again and I was just about to get one for myself, nope not happening now!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Upset that I to give even just 1 star... Horrific experience. Tires are always deflating... (rim issues even when new one were purchased.) Car stopped on a high way (engine recall) and then was without my car for 3 months. No same thing. They lie in the service department. They won't fix my 2 open recalls. My case manager hung up on me and told me that the dealership probably won't help me because they don't want to be bothered with me either. My car currently cost 4300.00 to fix an electrical issue causing the car to no start. I still owe about 6k and have no intentions on keeping the car because I have to fix something every other week. I can't make this up. I can't wait until I get out of this situation. It is not a safe car as my car has stop out of nowhere with no warning 2 times. It's a joke. Do not buy from this brand. Please, I beg you for yourself. Any advice please???

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

A.) OVERALL QUALITY: Hyundai is now (and will be likely continue to be involved in) --> MULTIPLE-CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS <--. This speaks VOLUMES! Hyundai products are poor quality. MULTIPLE consumers experience similar issues with transmission problems, false gas mileage, and other systematic failures. Hence the LAWSUITS! Hyundai has done nothing to take accountability for or remedy their mistakes (I've personally visited their service centers, sent emails, made calls). Type "Hyundai car issues" into a search engine and read the FACTS.

B.) PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH PRODUCT. I've purchased many Hyundai cars (unfortunately). My current vehicle will be the last time I give Hyundai money. Dealerships and service centers have reputations for dishonesty, visit your local Hyundai dealer/service center for a lesson in why. My experience has been incompetence in identifying issues until after warranty, then inexplicably high quotes for repairs on INTERNAL PARTS (aka, this is NOT user error, this is the manufacturer selling subpart quality parts and expects customers to pay for the mistake).

C.) CONCLUSION. Hyundai products show a pattern of issues. The company demonstrates a pattern of lack of accountability and/or attempts to remedy their mistakes. My personal experience (and that of other customers constantly in the Hyundai service waiting room), corroborate poor vehicle performance. This is a RISKY and EXPENSIVE brand. DO NOT BUY!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I am trying to begin the process of making a lemon law claim on our Santa Fe. I am wondering if anybody else has had problems with the back liftgate automatically closing. We have had it repaired 3 times already, and now after taking it in 6 months ago they have still not been able to get it fixed for what would be the 4th time. I have been hit in the head numerous times, and the other day my son was trapped by the liftgate. Luckily I was there to get it off of him, because it will not stop coming down unless you pull very hard against it and he is 8 and was face down.

The dealership is useless, they have been "ordering" the parts for 6 months. We have called repeatedly and get the same answer. Unfortunately there is not another dealer close enough for us to go to, and they also have told us we have to get it repaired at their dealership. This is a joke, and I was wondering if others have had the same issue. Just trying to get all the evidence I can to try and force a resolution. We basically do not use the back of our car anymore. Hyundai is awful.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

So far there have been 5 recalls on this car. Supposedly 4 of them have been fixed but the problems still continue. The transmission slips. It is not engaged after coming to a stopped. There is absolutely 0 acceleration which means it puts your life in danger every time you get behind the wheel.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

From a 7 hour purchase fiasco to the BlueLink billing scams and the complaints about mechanical surprises and lawsuits - These people have gotten on my nerves. How many of you feel their BlueLink services are really worth the $200 to $300 a year? That's a lot of dough to collect per car - a literal fortune for sub-par service and in my opinion, just a way to find out you need an oil change or something and nag the crap out of you. NOT HAPPY.

Hyundai Company Information