2.24/5
Based on 115 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1500 Hyundai Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 12, 2018

While returning from destination 50 miles from home, we stopped to take a break. My wife noticed that the rear bumper had detached from the right side of the car. I was unable to snap it back in and forced to drive back with it detached. Because of the "wind" caused from driving, the bumper (made of rubber) tore even more.

I brought the 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited into the Hyundai dealer in La Quinta. They examined it and took photos, Their position was that it was caused by an "outside force" and refused to cover it under warranty, I escalated to the Hyundai Southern Regional office. After several days, they contacted me and agreed with the dealer. This is "BS" because the only "damage" they saw on the bumper was some "missing" paint on the underside. I checked it out and there was no paint missing, the surface was smooth, not rough as it would be if it was scraped. The paint was "missing" because it was not completely painted underneath. I extremely disappointed and would never buy a Hyundai again, I think they are cheaply made. The exterior dents with even a minor bump from a parked car door.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I have got a used Hyundai Sonata 3 months ago. So wanted to register for BlueLink so found it was registered on a travel as the car was used to rental service. So called almost 25 times but the customer care always said two days one week but till now I have the same issue. My BlueLink is not registered. I got a reference number ** which I think is no use. If you all can’t do the service properly then better remove that app from the car. It’s waste to buy Hyundai when they cannot do what they have promised.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I was the 2nd owner of an Accent, it was one year old and after one year the front tires went bald, then the rims were totally oxidized. Now, 2 years later the window motors on two windows went totally bad and the dealership wants 400.00 for both. The customer service is horrible. My husband has leased an Elantra because his Hyundai Genesis turbo line broke and oil was spilling all over, dealership said it must have been something he hit. Would have felt it, don't you think? As soon as that lease is up, we are keeping the car just so we do not have to trade it in for another Hyundai, since we do not want to have to pay their fees. As soon as that goes through, we will sell it for a dozen apples. Never again, this company stinks. Buy American.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I was confused to see two emails with 3 different packages. You are forced to buy one in order to get the other two. Mike, sales rep, was not helpful in assisting in my request to speak with a manager, to receive a better understanding. I will not buy another Hyundai, and I will notify any else who plans to buy one with the bluelink. I just spoke with Mike at 7:00 pm, on May 21, 2018. I was very disappointed in Hyundai.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I almost spent $100k on a vehicle because of its marque. Well, I’m glad I didn’t! This Hyundai Genesis 5.0 has been very reliable. Quite stylish with a lot of power!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: May 7, 2018

My only advice is that you check the Hyundai out carefully: repeat to the salesman every word he tells you about the price. If he says the car is fine, don't take his word for it. We love the car but we were lied to about the price. The car was for my wife, we test drive like 8 different makes and models that day. I paid cash or cashier's check for the car. If my wife didn't like as much as she did, I would of never bought it, because of the lies.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Well I had reached the 100000 mile warranty and engine failed. It is a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. Hyundai consumer refused to pay for another engine. This is BS. I am still paying on my car and this should have never happened. I will never buy another one. I always kept up with the oil changes!

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Hyundai Sonata is an awesome car! Very comfortable drive whether over long or short distances. Have consistently gotten over 34 mpg on the highway. Outperforms Toyota Camry which I had for over 10 years.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Very durable vehicle that lots of extra perks like electric seats, blind spot mirror, Bluetooth and back up camera. I have owned this Hyundai Tucson for a year and have not had a single problem with it.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport has the best warranty in the auto industry, deservedly so. The brand is the ONLY one which, in one year, had NO recalls whatsoever for ANY reason. It's the first brand new vehicle I've owned in 16 years, and the advancements in styling, build, electronics, handling, and safety features are stunningly impressive. Gas mileage is double my previous car, travels farther and more fuel efficiently, and is eco-friendly as a result. For years I've wanted to acquire this vehicle, and haven't had one single reason to regret doing so. It will be the last car I ever buy... I expect it will last that long!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I own a 2008 Tucson. I needed a small suv so I could see the traffic ahead, but some suvs were too big/High. With a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, the company believes in its product and my experience proves it.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Hyundai Azera is a cross between a 4 door sedan and a sports car. 6 cylinder gas engine has plenty of power from 0-60 and fuel mileage is 21-27 mph which is decent economy. It is built solidly and provides a smooth ride even over bad roads. GPS and heated seats are standard. FWD provides solid traction in snow up to 6 inches. Lots of good driver safety features at an affordable price. Hyundai’s 5/60/100K warranty is best in the industry. Blue Link app feature provides remote start, SOS, and other invaluable features at a reasonable yearly cost after the original B to B warranty expires. Hyundai discontinued manufacturing the Azera in 2017. The only drawback is if purchased used, the powertrain warranty is reduced to 60K and prepaid MTCE cannot be purchased unless it is a certified preowned vehicle (CPO).

Original review: May 2, 2018

I leased a car for 3 years. According to the sales person, he told me that the service on the car would be included during the lease period but that wasn’t the case. It seems that he just said those things to make a sell since he was being very pushy from the start. The worst part is that he never disclaimed that by the end of the lease, I would be charged $500 plus $170 for some minor scratches that can occur during a 3 year period.

When I returned the vehicle they basically force you to keep making business with them by leasing or buying a new car and that’s the only way they can forgive that $500 fee. When I called to claim, they told me that the contract is not with the dealer but with the company; even though it was signed at the dealer. They also don’t accommodate payment arrangements. Before leasing a car with companies like this, do some research and find what is convenient for you. Instead of dealing with a seller who would say anything just to get his commission and take advantage of you, if you don’t have experience in the subject.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Previously owned a used Tiburon that lasted more than 10 yrs as a daily driver. Drove it on all kinds of road conditions - why I chose to get a Veloster. Fuel economy is great, handles the road great, plenty of cargo room, looks sporty, bought for a reasonable price. Everything a 63 yo woman could want!

Original review: May 2, 2018

It is well built and lots of room. All the latest updates. Some dealers will really work with price if you are patient. Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2017 is a very good value.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The only problem I have had with the Hyundai Santa Fe is with the dimmer switch. If you hit it a little off center you turn the lights off. This was scary. One other thing is that the seat belt does not always retract when exiting the vehicle and then gets caught in the door.

Original review: May 1, 2018

For being a turbo the Hyundai Veloster does not feel like it. When I try and get it going it tends to stick a lot and then jumps forward real fast. Having the flaps on the steering wheel is a pain. I sometimes knock into them by accident and they change my car to manual which I do not care for. Then I have to slow down and press down on the flap to put it back to automatic.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I love my Hyundai Tucson. I love the performance and durability. It is a 2016, and I love all of the added features. Since I am 75 years old I particularly like the warning when I want to change lanes, that there is another car beside me. I also like the backup screen especially at night, and a warning if a car or person is coming behind me.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We have three Santa Fe. Two is AWD, only thing I find the electrical is not that great. Though, minor. But parts are not cheap and hard to find online at a decent price. I go through my friends that has shops to get me a better price.

Original review: April 26, 2018

The Hyundai Equus is a full size ultra-luxury auto that does everything at the highest levels. The ride is like floating on a cloud, 429 HP packs a punch, lots of leg room and trunk space and the car is beautiful on the outside. Cost is substantially less than any vehicle with similar features. Home run!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

This Hyundai Tucson is our 2nd owned cuz they're such great cars. We had the last one for 10+ yrs with no issues at all and we just wanted a new one. Plenty of cargo room and passenger space as well as comfortable.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I had never bought anything but a Chevrolet or a Ford and I always had a full size car. The Hyundai was the first foreign car and the first small car that I have purchased. I love the way it drives and the MPG. But I did have a problem with the seat belts that the dealership refused to acknowledge and fix and the tires that came with the car were not good. It also did not come with a spare. I will never buy a car without a spare again.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Car like ride, good gas mileage combination local & highway, 20-27 mpg. Fairly easy to maintain/Repair for D.I.Y. and Parts readily available. Also, Hyundai Santa Fe has 5 star safety rating for 2008.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Hyundai Santa Fe has paint problems. Paint chipping off the hood and roof. Bought the vehicle new in 2014. I have owned cars upwards of 20 years old, and I've never seen a paint problem anywhere close to this one, especially after just 4 years.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I like Hyundai alright, but feel like it's only a middle of the road car. Little things have broken such as door sensors and windshield wiper motor that were trouble to fix, but didn't break the bank.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Buying a Hyundai was the worst mistake of my life! Too many problems. Now after 44,000 miles my air conditioning is going out and I was told that my warranty has expired. Never again will my family purchase from this company again!!!! I hate having to give them even one star.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Recently I was informed by my local Hyundai dealership that the battery on my 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid needed replaced. Not the hybrid battery. I was told it was $312.00 for the battery through the dealership. I said thanks but I'll go elsewhere. After 3 weeks of looking and calling around I've been informed that the battery can only be purchased from a dealer. I decided to call Hyundai customer service to find out why. There is no reason other than, "Because that's the way it is and because we can." What?? Really??

That is how the conversation went. I asked to speak to someone who could answer me why and was told that, "Everyone else will give you the same answer, the way it is and because we can." What kind of crazy monopoly is this. Any other year Sonata battery can be purchased elsewhere. They are unwilling to explain why, they are unwilling to require the dealership to sell the part at a reasonable price, nothing. No help, no explanation, no concern or consideration. I have really liked owning my Hyundai until now. I recently paid it off and now it's having issues creep up that require attention only at the dealership. Interesting, frustrating and suspicious. Might very well be the last Hyundai I ever own.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have had nothing but problems from Hyundai since I bought my SUV in December 2017. Blue Link is a joke. BTW there is no one at Corporate Headquarters over Blue Link. Customers are subjected to whatever decisions are made concerning problems by whichever "Supervisor" is working that day. NO ONE ever owns the problem. NEVER give this company access to any of your bank accounts. They will charge what they please. THE WHOLE HYUNDAI CORPORATION is a joke!!! They changed policy about making one time payments WITHOUT ANY notice to the customer. I changed from electronic bills to paper bills so I can mail my payment in to them rather than pay a fee from Western Union to make a one time payment. Since they are NOT trustworthy on having access to your checking account, I will not give them the ability to access my account!!! I detest this company!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

2014 Hyundai Elantra - Around 74,000 miles my engine started making a ticking noise. It would get quieter as it warmed up. When I took it to the dealership, the mechanic that looked at it said "another Elantra engine went bad, this winter took a lot of engines out. We got a lot of bad engines in this winter. Something is wrong with these engines". Then he informed me that I would need a new engine. This was a Hyundai dealership mechanic that stated this. I already knew something was wrong because of the Sonata engine recall and all of the blogs where Elantra engines were going bad between 68 and 75,000 miles. I took better care of this engine than the book called for. But since I was the second owner the warranty had run out at 60,000 miles.

When I bought it around 35,000 the engine sounded perfect. And it was a certified car from a car lot. Hyundai says they only warranty certified cars from a Hyundai car lot. Never again will I buy a throwaway car. In my opinion the engine need to be recalled, they know they have an issue. I am currently driving a 2018 Elantra for a week while I get another car. The engine has 2200 miles on it and I can hear the same ticking already, plus it shakes a little coming from the drive train, until it is driven at least 10 miles. The steering tends to get rigid from time to time like I am sliding on some ice.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I love the Remote Start feature that Hyundai Blue Link provides. I think it's very overpriced. I also don't like that to get the Remote Start that I have to get the other packages which I don't use. It would be nice to just have the Remote Start feature. I also don't like that the max time for the vehicle to be started is only 10 minutes. It would be great for the customer to extend the timer beyond 10 minutes especially living in a cold climate state like I do. When the timer expires for the Remote Start, why don't you receive notification like you do when the vehicle is started. Also, I don't like it that it flashes the parking lights, they should give the option for the customer to turn off that feature or go to a solid parking light if so the customer chooses.

I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Elantra and received the Remote Start package for a trial period. It was set up by the dealership. I didn't know why they needed my credit card information, I found out why. They auto billed my card after the trial period was over without notifying me. I asked why I wasn't notified and they didn't have an answer. I told them that I only wanted the Remote Start option and they said that I had to get the full package to get the Remote Start. Almost $300. I liked the Remote Start that much that I didn't cancel the service of which the Remote Start is the only thing I use.

The next year, I purchased a 2016 Tuscon, same thing with the Elantra happened with the Tuscon. I called Blue Link and asked them to sync my two accounts, the agent told me she had done so. When I tried to start my 2015, the app prompted me to call Blue Link. They told me that the subscription on my Elantra was cancelled. I told them that I had another two months left before renewal, she verified that I was correct. I then asked her why was my service cancelled and she said she didn't know. She got a supervisor involved and he said the same thing.

Granted, the 2015 is a Generation 1 vehicle and the 2016 is a Generation 2 vehicle which is two different departments. Why aren't they combined, I don't know. I told them to turn on my service for the remaining two months that I have left on my subscription, they said they couldn't do that. They said I had to renew my yearly subscription. I asked them why because my service was not scheduled for renewal for two months and that it wasn't my fault that they screwed up. They said that their computers would not allow them to go in and turn on the service without the renewal of my yearly subscription. Being unsatisfied, I told them to renew my subscription which got prorated to the date that I purchased the vehicle. They told me that for my troubles that they would give me a discount on one of the packages one of my vehicles. They assured me that this mishap would not happen again.

Which brings me to this year's renewal, the so-called discount wasn't a discount, they extended one of the packages on one of my vehicles which knocked my packages out of sync, again. The sent me an E-mail stating that I would have to pay almost $20 a month for the next two months to aligned the packages. On the day that they were supposed to pull the money from my account, my Remote Start package was cancelled and when I called Blue Link, they said I had insufficient funds. Which I found ridiculous because I verified that I had several thousand dollars on that account. I even signed onto the Blue Link website to verify that the billing information was correct and it was. Besides, they had just taken out $297 from my account for my other vehicle's renewal of which I wasn't notified. I asked them why I wasn't notified and again, they said that they didn't know and they were going to pass me onto their website department.

They are currently investigating why I wasn't notified, I am not going to hold my breath for a response, lol. The agent asked what would it take for me to be a satisfied customer, I said, "Free service", I knew that wouldn't fly. I asked her to turn on the service for the remainder of the two months I have left to sync my accounts, of course, just like the year prior, they said it couldn't be done and that I had to renew my yearly subscription. I didn't. I am so frustrated with Blue Link right now but I love their Remote Start feature.

A few years ago, I tried to have Car Toys to put an aftermarket remote start system on my vehicle and they said that because the vehicle has a factory installed remote system on the vehicle that they couldn't do it. This was three years ago. I am going to revisit this option and see if it can be done. With the Remote Start feature I had on my other vehicle, it had way more features than Blue Link has and for cheaper. You figure with as much as they charge for the service that they would be one of the leaders in the game.

I gave this review only 2 stars because I love the Remote Start otherwise it would be one star. I don't think Blue Link even cares about their customers, they know we have to use this service if we want it, especially being in a cold climate state. If they were smart, they would find a way to be able to modify the field to change the renewal date to maintain the subscribers they have right now. I will be looking for another car company where I can have more flexibility with this option. So it will be goodbye to Hyundai even though I like their vehicles. My Tucson was the 4th Hyundai I had purchased, yes, this is a deal breaker. If I can find a go around, I will. Thanks, Blue Link. Step up your game.

Hyundai Company Information