1.62/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

1480 Hyundai Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

Buying a Hyundai was the worst mistake of my life! Too many problems. Now after 44,000 miles my air conditioning is going out and I was told that my warranty has expired. Never again will my family purchase from this company again!!!! I hate having to give them even one star.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Recently I was informed by my local Hyundai dealership that the battery on my 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid needed replaced. Not the hybrid battery. I was told it was $312.00 for the battery through the dealership. I said thanks but I'll go elsewhere. After 3 weeks of looking and calling around I've been informed that the battery can only be purchased from a dealer. I decided to call Hyundai customer service to find out why. There is no reason other than, "Because that's the way it is and because we can." What?? Really??

That is how the conversation went. I asked to speak to someone who could answer me why and was told that, "Everyone else will give you the same answer, the way it is and because we can." What kind of crazy monopoly is this. Any other year Sonata battery can be purchased elsewhere. They are unwilling to explain why, they are unwilling to require the dealership to sell the part at a reasonable price, nothing. No help, no explanation, no concern or consideration. I have really liked owning my Hyundai until now. I recently paid it off and now it's having issues creep up that require attention only at the dealership. Interesting, frustrating and suspicious. Might very well be the last Hyundai I ever own.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have had nothing but problems from Hyundai since I bought my SUV in December 2017. Blue Link is a joke. BTW there is no one at Corporate Headquarters over Blue Link. Customers are subjected to whatever decisions are made concerning problems by whichever "Supervisor" is working that day. NO ONE ever owns the problem. NEVER give this company access to any of your bank accounts. They will charge what they please. THE WHOLE HYUNDAI CORPORATION is a joke!!! They changed policy about making one time payments WITHOUT ANY notice to the customer. I changed from electronic bills to paper bills so I can mail my payment in to them rather than pay a fee from Western Union to make a one time payment. Since they are NOT trustworthy on having access to your checking account, I will not give them the ability to access my account!!! I detest this company!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

2014 Hyundai Elantra - Around 74,000 miles my engine started making a ticking noise. It would get quieter as it warmed up. When I took it to the dealership, the mechanic that looked at it said "another Elantra engine went bad, this winter took a lot of engines out. We got a lot of bad engines in this winter. Something is wrong with these engines". Then he informed me that I would need a new engine. This was a Hyundai dealership mechanic that stated this. I already knew something was wrong because of the Sonata engine recall and all of the blogs where Elantra engines were going bad between 68 and 75,000 miles. I took better care of this engine than the book called for. But since I was the second owner the warranty had run out at 60,000 miles.

When I bought it around 35,000 the engine sounded perfect. And it was a certified car from a car lot. Hyundai says they only warranty certified cars from a Hyundai car lot. Never again will I buy a throwaway car. In my opinion the engine need to be recalled, they know they have an issue. I am currently driving a 2018 Elantra for a week while I get another car. The engine has 2200 miles on it and I can hear the same ticking already, plus it shakes a little coming from the drive train, until it is driven at least 10 miles. The steering tends to get rigid from time to time like I am sliding on some ice.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I love the Remote Start feature that Hyundai Blue Link provides. I think it's very overpriced. I also don't like that to get the Remote Start that I have to get the other packages which I don't use. It would be nice to just have the Remote Start feature. I also don't like that the max time for the vehicle to be started is only 10 minutes. It would be great for the customer to extend the timer beyond 10 minutes especially living in a cold climate state like I do. When the timer expires for the Remote Start, why don't you receive notification like you do when the vehicle is started. Also, I don't like it that it flashes the parking lights, they should give the option for the customer to turn off that feature or go to a solid parking light if so the customer chooses.

I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Elantra and received the Remote Start package for a trial period. It was set up by the dealership. I didn't know why they needed my credit card information, I found out why. They auto billed my card after the trial period was over without notifying me. I asked why I wasn't notified and they didn't have an answer. I told them that I only wanted the Remote Start option and they said that I had to get the full package to get the Remote Start. Almost $300. I liked the Remote Start that much that I didn't cancel the service of which the Remote Start is the only thing I use.

The next year, I purchased a 2016 Tuscon, same thing with the Elantra happened with the Tuscon. I called Blue Link and asked them to sync my two accounts, the agent told me she had done so. When I tried to start my 2015, the app prompted me to call Blue Link. They told me that the subscription on my Elantra was cancelled. I told them that I had another two months left before renewal, she verified that I was correct. I then asked her why was my service cancelled and she said she didn't know. She got a supervisor involved and he said the same thing.

Granted, the 2015 is a Generation 1 vehicle and the 2016 is a Generation 2 vehicle which is two different departments. Why aren't they combined, I don't know. I told them to turn on my service for the remaining two months that I have left on my subscription, they said they couldn't do that. They said I had to renew my yearly subscription. I asked them why because my service was not scheduled for renewal for two months and that it wasn't my fault that they screwed up. They said that their computers would not allow them to go in and turn on the service without the renewal of my yearly subscription. Being unsatisfied, I told them to renew my subscription which got prorated to the date that I purchased the vehicle. They told me that for my troubles that they would give me a discount on one of the packages one of my vehicles. They assured me that this mishap would not happen again.

Which brings me to this year's renewal, the so-called discount wasn't a discount, they extended one of the packages on one of my vehicles which knocked my packages out of sync, again. The sent me an E-mail stating that I would have to pay almost $20 a month for the next two months to aligned the packages. On the day that they were supposed to pull the money from my account, my Remote Start package was cancelled and when I called Blue Link, they said I had insufficient funds. Which I found ridiculous because I verified that I had several thousand dollars on that account. I even signed onto the Blue Link website to verify that the billing information was correct and it was. Besides, they had just taken out $297 from my account for my other vehicle's renewal of which I wasn't notified. I asked them why I wasn't notified and again, they said that they didn't know and they were going to pass me onto their website department.

They are currently investigating why I wasn't notified, I am not going to hold my breath for a response, lol. The agent asked what would it take for me to be a satisfied customer, I said, "Free service", I knew that wouldn't fly. I asked her to turn on the service for the remainder of the two months I have left to sync my accounts, of course, just like the year prior, they said it couldn't be done and that I had to renew my yearly subscription. I didn't. I am so frustrated with Blue Link right now but I love their Remote Start feature.

A few years ago, I tried to have Car Toys to put an aftermarket remote start system on my vehicle and they said that because the vehicle has a factory installed remote system on the vehicle that they couldn't do it. This was three years ago. I am going to revisit this option and see if it can be done. With the Remote Start feature I had on my other vehicle, it had way more features than Blue Link has and for cheaper. You figure with as much as they charge for the service that they would be one of the leaders in the game.

I gave this review only 2 stars because I love the Remote Start otherwise it would be one star. I don't think Blue Link even cares about their customers, they know we have to use this service if we want it, especially being in a cold climate state. If they were smart, they would find a way to be able to modify the field to change the renewal date to maintain the subscribers they have right now. I will be looking for another car company where I can have more flexibility with this option. So it will be goodbye to Hyundai even though I like their vehicles. My Tucson was the 4th Hyundai I had purchased, yes, this is a deal breaker. If I can find a go around, I will. Thanks, Blue Link. Step up your game.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: March 31, 2018

Recall on Santa Fe gasket leaking oil into alternator - Received recall notice after I had already paid over $700 to repair same. Contacted Hyundai headquarters (10550 Talbert Ave., Fountain Valley, Cal. 92708) more than once. But never so much as get a reply. Sent them copies of recall and bill.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I am writing to you today regarding my Hyundai Sonata Hybrid that I bought brand new in August 2016. It’s been less than 2 years and we already had to take our vehicle to the mechanic 4 times to the Hyundai maintenance service. After going to Hyundai mechanics numerous times they are still uncertain about the fault in my vehicle. My wife and I have been very disappointed with our first Hyundai Sonata. Numerous times we have gone back to the Hyundai maintenance shop to attempt to have our vehicle fixed, which then follows up with me getting a rental car for the day. The very following next day I have to pick up my car again as the mechanic tells me the issue is resolved but it’s not. I’ve listed the days below for details when my Sonata has malfunctioned.

Heading from Santa Clara to San Francisco about 40 miles drive. Was looking for parking and when in the middle of the road my vehicle decided to stop without any warning. It wouldn’t start and we had to wait about 20-25 minutes for my car to start again. We followed up with Hyundai the next day and they said they didn’t find any issues with it. Therefore I wasn’t able to have any record of it in the Hyundai maintenance system.

The second time it occurred when my wife and I were heading to Long Beach for our Babymoon. Our issue happened multiples times during our trip. Every time we stopped by at the gas station our vehicle malfunctioned. We had to wait 30 minutes before the car would start again. At that time I felt very unsafe as I had my pregnant wife with me and was hoping the car wouldn’t stop while I was driving. Due to the malfunction, our trip was not only delayed but dangerous for my wife.

During this time they had found a fault in the vehicle and had to replace BMS. Invoice number ** on Feb 7th 2018. Our third accident happened after getting my vehicle back from the maintenance, I had to go to SF Airport to pick up my friend and the car stopped again! Replaced OPU, OL Pump Unit. Invoice number ** on Feb 14th 2018. The fourth accident happened when we had an emergency and had to take our dog to the vet for his surgery and after dropping him off my car stopped again! Replaced PRA. Invoice number ** on Feb 20th 2018. Mileage of my Vehicle still under 50,000

The Hyundai service center has not been able to find the problem and resolve it even after having numerous types of test. After going to the Hyundai service center numerous times, I have the fear of my vehicle of being very unsafe and I don’t want to take any kind of risk with my family in it. I am afraid that my vehicle will stop at the stop light or worse during the drive. Looking forward to hearing back from you regarding Hyundai Malfunction Issue.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have paid Hyundai by monthly electronic transfer for years. I do not like to commit to 'automatic' for all the obvious reasons. Because Hyundai has been using 'Western Union' (Hyundai is the only company I pay electronically that has chosen to use Western Union) they now want to pass on to the consumer $3.95 on each occasion to offset what they are paying Western Union. I may send in a check, costing me 50 cents, and they feel that can process that check without a $3.95 fee. In the future I will research credit practices prior to another car purchase OR in the final deal I will look to extract 48 x 3.95 - almost $200 out of the final number.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I bought brand new Sunday Tucson on February 3, 2018 in Keyes Hyundai Van Nuys. I drove about 2k miles when I started experiencing high noises, something like buzzing sound that was getting louder with accelerating. When first did the drive test, I was impressed how easy the car does drive, well it got worse when I started using it. Very unstable on highway, you can feel any crack on the surface you drive on, pretty loud inside.

But getting to my issue, first I took it to check the tires, I was advised that it might be wheels bearing. Then took it to service, they have very odd hours and there is always empty there. They will not take you on Saturday for diagnostic either, so they did check my car and happened to be that the car transmission failed. Wow right after 2k, very unusual, anyways they got me loaner from Hertz and promised to get me the car in 3 days. I will be posting and blogging about this more. I feel I got lemon and more issues are going to happen. Very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I purchased a brand new 2016 Hyundai Sonata in March of 2016. In December 2017 the cars power steering suddenly failed without warning. I took it into my local Hyundai dealer who saw no issue with the vehicle. In March of 2018 the power steering failed again on a busy highway and my children and myself narrowly escaped being hit by a tractor trailer. Finally the dealership ran a test and said the EPS system needed to be replaced. I contacted Hyundai consumer department to file a complaint and was treated very rudely. At first they refused to offer a loaner vehicle for the time my car would be out for repairs but the dealership worked a deal out with Enterprise. I’m on so much mental distress and afraid of driving this vehicle l.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My 2013 Hyundai Elantra's engine failed early November 2017. I took the car to Sansone car dealer where they agreed the engine needed to be replaced due to sludge build up/engine failure. Hyundai motors refused to pay and referred me to BBB telling me they would honor BBB DECISION. Once I provided BBB with information I was told I did not qualify because I had more than 60,000 miles on my car. I again argued with Hyundai motors but they said I was to blame because of lack of care, sludge. I have been a car owner more than 30 yrs and have never had this type of problem! Disgusted Hyundai customer!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra For $8999 with 83,000 miles on it in January 2018. Today is March 20, 2018 and the car needs a new engine. They will not replace the engine. I took it to Morrie’s Hyundai to fix and they refused to fix it saying Hyundai corporate refuses to fix the engine because I am 2nd owner of the car that the 100,000 mile warranty does not apply. Who has allowed them to make and sell cars, take people's money and not honor the warranty. It’s a crime that needs the law to look at this. I have a car loan on a dead car not even worth enough to trade for another. I want the engine fixed or my money back or at least replace the car.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My husband and I have tried for over 3 months now to get a COPY of our title sent to the WA DMV to register our car. We get tossed around to multiple agents, they make us verify our information multiple times, we get disconnect frequently, and worst of all NO ONE SEEMS TO EVER BE ABLE TO ANSWER BASIC QUESTIONS. We have been told multiple times that the copy of our title was sent to the DMV but every time we call, the DMV says they haven't received it. We then call Hyundai who says "we're sorry someone told you that, we will send it out today" THIS CYCLE KEEPS REPEATING ITSELF OVER AND OVER!!! We are at our wit's end and are thinking about taking legal action. DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI!!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

In fall 2014, I purchased a new 2015 Hyundai Elantra with a 1.8 L 4 cylinder motor. Since then, the car has had standard interval servicing with full synthetic motor oil, done at the Hyundai Dealership. The car is mainly used for commuting to work, and the majority of the miles driven are interstate miles. The car drives approximately 30,000 miles per year. At 105,000 miles, the car developed a ticking from the front of the engine. The standard powertrain warranty is 10 year/100,000 miles. I took the car to the Stew Hansen Hyundai dealership in Des Moines IA, and they diagnosed it as a worn rod bearing, or "rod knock." The service Hyundai agreed to provide the parts, but did not agree to provide the service cost ($2500) or loaner car.

At the time that the engine needed repair, I was told that the parts would be in as soon as possible. Joe, my service advisor, advised that other cars that are same make and model has been experiencing this issue after the winter months of 2017. He advised that the dealership had 5 others Elantras waiting for a new engine. He advised that the engine components were not getting enough oil due to a manufacturing defect. Therefore, running without oil for extended periods of time. It has now been almost 2 months, and Hyundai is estimating, but not guaranteeing, that the engine will arrive on April 27th. Which is a total of 3 months since I have not had my car. I have been advised that the engine parts are backordered, which tells me that this is a national problem.

I have contacted Hyundai Woodhouse in Omaha, NE and they advised me that they are having the same issues with their customers' Elantras. I have contacted Hyundai Consumers Affairs about the issue, and asked for reimbursement for a rental car because the process is taking a long period of time. My consumer claims advisor told me that they could not give me a definitive answer if I would be covered by a rental reimbursement. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor advised me that the reimbursement would depend if the part was included in a repair campaign or recall. Upon asking if this part would be covered under a campaign or recall because of the national shortage, she could not given a definitive answer, and advised that my reimbursement claim would be reviewed after the part is fixed, leaving me with no clear answer.

My family is currently down to one car, and my wife and I both drive to work, which puts a large amount of miles on our one vehicle. I understand that the vehicle is out of warranty, however, we feel that Hyundai has not take responsibility to ensure customer satisfaction. We initially were grateful that Hyundai was providing the parts, but we feel that no-one should have to wait 3 months for their car to be repaired.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Safety Recall - Metal Debris from factory machining - Recommended oil is synthetic which I continuously run in my Santa Fe. At the time of recall I asked what the recommended oil is and was advised synthetic. When I booked my appointment for the recall I asked that synthetic was replaced as the oil and filter would be removed during the recall. I was told by Hyundai Canada and the dealership that regular oil would be put in and that I would need to pay the difference. My complaint is that I put the recommended oil in the vehicle as per Hyundai manual yet during the recall Hyundai would not replace with the recommended synthetic oil. I purchased, via Walmart, synthetic oil at a cost of $49 for the recall and would like to be refunded for the cost of synthetic oil. I am a returning customer to Hyundai. This is my second Santa Fe. Will not be a returning customer if not refunded.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Purchased my first Hyundai in 2011 & kept the vehicle for 6 and a half years. Warranty was great on the Genesis Coupe 2.0T GT, lasted me for about 5 years when I reached 100,000 kms. During warranty had two things replaced, the defective tail light & an interior button that stopped emitting light. The only reason for my 4 star rating is the defective tail light, which after replacement started to collect condensation again. Of course this time it was out of warranty & both tail lights. I have seen many Genesis Coupes with this same issue, and I am surprised it was never recalled to be fixed.

On another negative point, I have had a very bad experience with Hyundai dealerships in Canada. Initially in Moose Jaw I had an amazing experience, but after they changed their employees, the customer service took a big deep. And I had another awful experience in Fredericton, NB at a dealership. Very poor customer service in my experience, I hope they work on that. Other than the issues, I had a great experience with the car, great quality & really fun to drive. During my ownership I only had to change tires & rear brakes. I plan to purchase again, but this time from Genesis brand which I hear offers great customer service.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Hyundai is a horrible company. I purchased my 2012 Tucson as a second owner. I had the vehicle 1.5 years before the engine failed. Because I was a second owner, Hyundai refused to help. I was 6 months out of the time warranty of 5 years or 60k miles.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I own auto repair shop. Also I have a dealer license, I purchase a 2016 Hyundai Accent @ auction with 25000 miles, car runs beautiful, but we notice some weird noise when we put it in reverse. So we took it to this dealership (PRIDE HYUNDAI LYNN, MA). Long story short need a new tranny, dealership and this car company refuse to replace it because they said car was involve in an accident. Car is clean title, CLEAN CARFAX or CRASH REPORT, this F... people don't even know how a car runs. They only base everything according what a book said, STAY AWAY FROM HYUNDAI!!! THE FAMOUS 10 YEAR/100000 MILES FACTORY is a complete crap. Stay away from Hyundai!!!! For your own good.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased this vehicle - Hyundai Accent GLS. I am very due diligence with maintenance & have the receipts to support this. After 3 years of owning this vehicle, the engine oil light came on. I took it in every time the light appeared. A diagnostics was conducted by the dealership with no reason. A fuel filler was replaced to see if this was the issue but again, light kept coming on. I went to Hyundai Canada as my warranty was running out, only to be told this was my issue. I recently tried to do a trade in, but was penalize for the engine oil light that comes on, a issue the professionals could not diagnose. This is a buyer be aware, I would recommend going with another brand as I was penalized for purchasing a Hyundai

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

2013 Hyundai Veloster: I felt compelled to submit this review because of a recent experience I've had with the brand that has left a bad taste in my mouth, and in the interest of transparency, should be shared so this doesn't happen to another consumer. In 2012 my parents were looking to buy me a car as a graduation gift (in cash), and we looked at Volkswagen, Hyundai, Jeep, Ford. At the time Hyundai was heavily marketing the 10-year warranty, so we decided to look into purchasing a Hyundai, as this was a major differentiator and benefit from the other brands.

My parents ended up working w/ a local dealer in Maryland, who helped locate and purchase an Veloster for me. The entire time, the dealer was aware that the car was being purchased for me. Since it was a gift, I was not at the dealer at the time of sale, and my mother put her name on the title (this is an important detail for later). It was never stipulated that only having her name (and not mine) could be a potential issue, as she was NOT purchasing the car for herself.

Flash forward 6 years and I move to the west coast. Right after moving my car, I get it registered in California and transfer the title from my mother so I can pay my own insurance. Dec'17 at 55k miles I'm hearing a horrendous screech coming out of my wheels, and I find out it's a defective wheel bearing (should last 100k). At the dealer they don't mention that this would be covered under my 10-year warranty, because my warranty "expired at 50k". This sets off major red flags, as the front wheel bearings are part of "drive train", and should be covered under the 10-year/100k mile warranty - I know something isn't right.

I call corporate (1st time) and find out that the warranty on my car was just invalidated when I transferred the title, because I moved the car title under my name i/o leaving it under my mother's, which immediately invalidated the 10 year warranty (I've had this car for 6 years/55k miles). This is a major stipulation that was not presented at the dealer when the car was being sold to my parents (this car was purchased solely for that warranty), so I call the dealer to discuss this issue as it originated w/ them, and they refer me back to corporate. I call corporate again (2nd time) and end up talking to a customer rep who was incredibly condescending and rude, challenging why I would be questioning my warranty (because my car is having issues that should be covered), etc., and was just generally nasty the entire time.

I finally ask to talk to his manager, who he says will "call within 24-48 hours" - won't give me a name or a time (no one ever calls - I hope this conversation was recorded). I call the dealer (2nd time) and explain that corporate is not at all standing behind this, and that the dealer needs to get involved since their salespeople sold the car, and they're the originators of this issues. Long-short, they're doing their best to defer and stay uninvolved, saying that they're not responsible for anything at the time of sale involving warranty. In a situation like this, a brand that stands behind what they market, and a brand that supports and values their customers would simply HONOR THE TERMS the car was marketed and sold as, and move on. Instead, what I've found is a brand that seizes on the opportunity to shirk away from what was promised at first opportunity, both at corporate as well as at the dealer.

I hadn't had an issue with Hyundai before this, but this entire experience has left a terrible mark on the brand for me. In a lifetime you'll buy on average 5 cars, and I can confidently say it will never be a Hyundai again, and I recommend no one else does. Don't be duped by the marketing of a 10-year warranty - it sounds too good to be true, and it is. I regret not buying the Jeep.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Accent Hatchback out of necessity. Over the years I have come to the realization that this was a mistake. This is not my first car, though it is my first Hyundai. It will most likely be my last. Since purchase... I have now had 5 ignition coils die on me. I have never had a single ignition coil die in ANY previous car I owned or leased. The first three were covered under warranty. They all went at separate times. We had to fight to get the 4th grandfathered into the warranty. My car is currently at the dealership with number 5.

If you were to go online and type in 2011 Hyundai accent ignition coil... you would see other reviews indicating that this is a widespread problem. Unfortunately this has not been recalled. The dealership will not repair without charge... so we're now being told by Hyundai corporate that it will take 3-5 days to research. I've been without my car for over a week. This has been "an experience" that I do not wish to repeat. You shouldn't either.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

2012 Hyundai Velostar - They make these cars attractive to the younger drivers but I would never put my child or myself in another Hyundai. My daughter totaled her car with all front end damage. None of the airbags deployed. She hit her head hard enough to knock her out. I called Hyundai the day after the accident because even the officer working the accident and the collision center had enough sense to know the airbags should have deployed. After 3 weeks with no car and hearing nothing. I called them at which point they wanted to mail me "a packet" to complete and mail back and then they would start their "investigation". They will not help you... They make it so difficult that you give up!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

2013 Elantra GT - Defective CONTACT ASSEMBLY-CLOCK-SPRING Replacement Part # 93490-1W120. This is a BIGGIE! This item is called a clock-spring and is poorly designed and poorly manufactured and WILL fail at any given time. Its failure can be either constant or intermittent. You can start the car and all the idiot lights go out as designed, then turn the steering wheel in any direction and two things occur: 1. It illuminates the small SRS idiot light on the dash and, 2. Completely DISABLES your SRS system which means NO AIRBAG protection or any other protection on the SRS circuit! This puts you and your family at risk of death or serious injury should the device fail.

Hyundai has several other campaigns in regards to this clock-spring HOWEVER not all models and VIN's are covered despite the continuing failure of these devices such as mine. Hyundai will not cover this CRITICAL SAFETY device and you must pay all parts and labor to bring your 4 year old car back to being a safe vehicle as originally purchased. John at Hyundai Corporate attempted to get my repair covered but failed...Hyundai simply does not care about your safety or mine unless they are forced by the government. Look at how they tried to overstate MPG of vehicles...I STILL get money from them for lying to me about their gas mileage on this vehicle! All this is verifiable, just Google and read the number of complaints! Why should they not be held accountable for their poor choices and decisions when we hold other manufacturers such as Airbag mfrs., baby furniture mfrs, dresser furniture, other car mfrs. accountable.

My repair was $271.84 + tax but instead Hyundai opted for a NHTSA complaint, several bad reviews, a visit to the FTC website for a complaint, and a campaign of my own to inform the public of this shameful company and their below standard engineering and manufacturing. They designed a CRITICAL SAFETY SYSTEM with a HIGH FAILURE PART with an original warranty of 60K miles that puts your life in danger...even Takata didn't get away with that at ANY MILEAGE! AND...their replacement part, OEM replacement part, only good for 12 months or 12,000 miles! Even THEY don't trust the part. TERRIBLE design!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

2011 Sonata is a Bright Yellow Lemon. Worst car I have ever owned. Constantly needing service and engine had to be replaced at 85K. My wife won't drive the car because she doesn't trust driving with kids in car. It is literally falling apart and every day there seems to be a new issue or a recall. As I write this review I am waiting for my car to be towed because yet again...it won't start.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I bought a new Hyundai Sonata in 2012. I bought the extended warranty due to driving 20 miles to work each day. I have had my oil changed every 3000 miles. My car started using oil after about 100,000. I took it to the dealership, and they said they would have to do oil consumption. I went through this for 3 oil changes. They said it was using oil, but not enough to hurt. The dealership said the car had to be using a quart of oil per 1000 miles in order for them to be concerned. I was not satisfied with this answer, so I called to complaint line at Hyundai with no better results. My car is now using a quart of oil every 1400 miles. It will soon be out of warranty. Very unsatisfied with Hyundai.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have had nothing but issues since I bought this car. I bought a 2015 Elantra Sport, with 800 miles on it in October of 2015. Seemed like a great car. I got a good deal (I paid 18,000), it's a top trim level so hopefully the quality would be good. First thing that happened, the dealership insisted I change the oil every 3,000 miles. The service manual clearly states 7,500 mile intervals. They scolded me and told me to bring it in more often. Okay fine, whatever.

Second, the dealership did a recall repair (I never approved, they just did it) to my sunroof, which resulted in a damaged headliner, AND they dropped a screw in my defroster vent that I could hear roll around as I would make corners. I took it back and Hyundai approved replacing the headliner. They also took the dash apart to retrieve the screw. The work order said "removed debris", the tech didn't remember what he took out. It also still rattled and then produced a different rattle above 75 MPH. (So much more higher quality coming from the top end trim level). I should note they had the car for several days, no loaner car was given.

Next, I noticed my steering column was loose after they disassembled my dash. I could move it side to side. Also the clutch squeaked when you released it. And the dash still rattled. So I took it back in. several days later and no rental car, the steering column was "within spec", they couldn't replicate the clutch squeak, and they weren't allowed to fix rattles and squeaks past 5,000 miles or something like that (came from the service manager). Next issue, the AC goes out. It's Texas. It's July. It's hot. "Can i get a loaner car?" No. They weren't sure if it could be fixed under warranty (30,000 miles now). How is this not under warranty?! They had the car for several days. Turned out the AC compressor "failed internally" so it was replaced under warranty. No loaner car.

Now, most recently. The car has 59,700 miles. The engine starts to make a noise that sounds like a high speed rattle. My guess was the water pump impeller rubbing. So I took it into a different dealership. This time they can't diagnose it, but it's easy to replicate so there is no doubt there's a problem. 5 days goes by and they finally set me up with a rental car through Enterprise. One month goes by and they tell me they are going to replace the engine. That opened up a whole new set of issues. Apparently, the engine in my two year old car is now obsolete. Instead of buying a long block crate engine (like they originally told me) they are buying a short block and sending the engine off to an outside repair shop to build it.

I went to the dealership to look at the engine (I do a lot of car repair, and I'm a Mechanical Engineer). The timing chain is hanging slack and they've removed one of the camshaft retainers. The car is parked outside, with no valve cover. Lovely. They tell me the engine is being replaced due to lack of lubrication (very vague and general). My guess was broken timing chain tensioner. I saw no low pressure light, and there was no presence of metal in the oil during the last oil change (I had a sample sent to a lab for analysis). They told me that it's a good thing I brought it in when I did. Because my Powertrain Warranty Expires at 60,000 miles! Apparently, because I bought it 'used' the 100,000 mile warranty doesn't apply to me.

Well that was it. I'm getting rid of the car. I asked them to give me a price on what they'd buy it from me for. They responded with "because it's having major engine work, we can only give you $6,000". So basically. A $24,000 car, in two years, and 60,000 miles, becomes worth 25% of its original value. I am never buying another Hyundai.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I am so happy with this 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport along with the customer service that Hyundai provides. This is the 2nd Hyundai I have owned. I will continue to purchase Hyundai so long as this continues.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I bought a Hyundai Accent 2010 from just October last year and this car has brought me nothing but sadness. In just three months the car has visited the repair shop countless number of times and now it is not moving because the ECM is dead. Prior to this time the car was always vibrating and it shuts off while driving. This is the most dangerous fault. It could stop you anywhere even if you are on the express. After fixing the ECM am getting rid of the car for good and letting go of Hyundai from my life.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

This service is such a scam! They give it to you for "free" and then before the year is up and you can call to cancel, they automatically renew on your credit card. Then for a month now (calls started 12/14 and hopefully ended today), I have been trying to get through to them to cancel and reverse the charge!!! I have emailed them 4 times and tried calling only to be on hold for over an hour!!! They offer you the option of giving your number for a call back but then never return your call. I finally got so disgusted I called the main customer service. The poor woman had to bear the brunt of my frustration and said she would make a note of my call in my file and that my money would be refunded. Today was my 5th call and now I am waiting to see if I get a confirmation of my cancellation like I was promised. I love my Hyundai and have owned them since 1997 but this treatment is enough to make me bad mouth them forever!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

When you call in to Hyundai there is the normal menu that you select to reach the correct department. I was trying to reach Blue Link and I was put into a phone queue, there's music in the background asking you to hold but there is no indication of how long you have to hold. After an hour and 15 minutes with no answer I hung up and tried calling again making a different selection. I've been selected Genesis customer service. After about 15 minutes they picked up the line and informed me that I'd have to call back to Blue Link and they could not help me reach them.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and then found out that if you wanted to speak to a supervisor you could leave your number and they call you back in the next day or two. So I left my number and received no return phone call. I then followed up with an email to customer service and again received no communication back other than acknowledgment of my email. Its now been two weeks, 4 phone calls and three emails later. Not a single phone call for me to go full email response. If you have a Hyundai product need help they aren't there, Although I like the car I will not be buying another Genesis in 2018. This is the worst customer experience I have ever had with a major manufacturer.

Hyundai Company Information