1.4/5 (61 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

Hyundai Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: March 9, 2022

Overall, we were happy with our Hyundai Elantra. Decent gas mileage, very affordable Limited Edition with decent bells and whistles. Had a problem with the sunroof. Extended warranty fixed it, but overall, the extended warranty wasn't worth it. The car is too reliable for it to be needed! So I lost money on that.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Great customer service. Ahmed worked with us and ultimately we walked out of there with a new Kona. Tom sealed the deal working his magic with the numbers. Definitely would recommend this dealership for first class service.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

As far as I’m concerned this is an outstanding vehicle. I read everything that everybody’s got to stay on it and as far as I’m concerned it’s an awesome vehicle. It’s got a lot of power too. Only thing is mine's a Vera Cruz Limited and that means parts are not that easy and you can’t get all of it over the counter at your average auto parts store. That would be the only thing.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We had a Santa Fe and loved it but was looking for something newer for our retirement vehicle. The new Santa Fe was bigger and didn't want a bigger vehicle. We drove the newer Tucson and loved it and bought it the same day. It fit all our needs and been so happy with it. The staff is friendly and when we bought it, it was 0% interest for 9 years which we plan to pay off way by then. This is one satisfied customer.

Original review: June 27, 2021

I love everything about my car except for the engine’s power. I went with the lower end trim model and my best friend got the higher end trim with the turbo engine. Her car is perfect. Mine not so much. Have to turn off the a.c. every time I merge on the freeway. So if you buy this car get the higher trim. Otherwise it’s great. Bought it certified preowned so warranty is still good for a few more years. Had it for almost 2 years now with very few problems. Was able to cancel my AAA membership because the Hyundai warranty covers roadside assistance. Already had to use it once for a flat tire and the process was quick and painless and cost me $0.

Lots of cool features even on the base model like reverse camera and lane assist which I can’t imagine living without anymore. The all wheel drive option is also helpful for rain and snow. Here in AZ it’s not such a big deal but back in Chicago I felt much more comfortable on the road. Handled much better than my previous Honda. The extra space underneath the car is also great for handling snow. The size is perfect. I can fit into parking spots no problem but there is a ton of cabin room. I hit my head inside most subcompacts. Not this one though. The only interior design feature I would change is the large space between the actual driver's seat and the counsel. It’s like a black hole for everything that’s on my lap. Everything falls in there and can be difficult to get back out….

Original review: May 8, 2022

I have a 2014 Hyundai Equus with 38000 miles. The transmission is bad and the dashboard is becoming unglued. Took it to my local Hyundai dealership after speaking with Hyundai corporate and they promised to help me out. Once they found out what the vehicle needed they sorry we cannot help. That is terrible to have a vehicle that had such low miles to have this much trouble. Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Hyundai, they promise the world, at the end of the day the consumer pays for a poor product.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I had serious safety issues with my Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I was driving on highway I-75 when my car displayed a message "Hybrid System Warning! Safety Stop and Do not Drive". The car simply STOPPED driving, I was lucky that there were no cars on the right lanes, so I managed to pull my car over. It was an extremely scary experience, especially driving with my 12-year-old daughter. I restarted the car and the message disappeared, I turned on my emergency lights and drove the car to the next exit and then slowly home. The message and the situation happened 2 more times. Next day, my husband and I took the car to a dealer. The service guy, after three days waiting, provided us with a quote for a repair. I refused to pay because it should be a recall repair. I paid for diagnostic only. PA # **

The service guy recommended me to call Consumer Affairs because he agreed with me that it was a safety issue and should be qualified as a recall. I followed his suggestions. I opened case # ** at customer affairs on April 8th. Nobody called me until April 14th. Her name was Savannah and her extension **. She left me a message to give her a call what I did the next day. It went to the VM. I left another message on April 16th and April 17th. On April 18th I received a call from her (10 days after submitting the case) that she needs more time, and she will call me on Wednesday. She did not. I called her back on Thursday and Friday. No response.

I called Consumer Affairs again and requested a response. Finally, she called me on April 26th, telling me that my warranty was 1000 mile over so the Hyundai warranty does not cover it. I explained to her that it should have been a recall but she didn't take safety issues seriously. I am extremely disappointed in Hyundai safety approach and their customer service. The manager didn't even care about me. She was just like "we are not paying". Where is the famous Hyundai customer service?

Original review: April 21, 2022

Driving Hyundai cars for the past 5 years. Recently ended up in a shattered panoramic sunroof on my 2021 Santafe limited with the glass shattering with a loud sound and raining on me while on freeway. Called the hyundai roadside assistance since the car isn't even one year old. They promised me a tow truck which never came. I had to take hotel since it was the middle of the night when this happened. I also had to take a rental the next day as customer care promised that my out of pocket expenses would be covered by hyundai. When I asked the case manager for the reimbursement, she shouts at me asking "why would hyundai pay for your hotel" and that there is a per day cap on the amount they would pay for the rental which wouldn't even cover half of my one-way rental car bill.

Hyundai website mentions about trip interruption that promises coverage for the rental, meals and lodging for an overnight incident. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/assurance/roadside-assistance Case manager wouldn't even listen to me trying to explain the case. I would still fight until justice is served. Having the sunroof falling on you in the middle of a rainy night is one thing but the behavior of the customer care case managers are worse.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Battery failure before 30,000 miles, starter failure, engine noise went from once every 3 weeks to every cold start. Took it to a dealer a couple times in Mentor Ohio, told me nothing's wrong with my car. Shared videos taken and still told me nothing was wrong with my car. Ask to listen to a new Kona with same engine, told they didn't have any cars to show me, stop back by 2 months later and seen a Kona, made me wait on my lunch hour. I went in and asked for a salesman, listen to the new Kona and showed salesman my videos and he said there was definitely a noise issue.

I am an ASE certified master mechanic. I showed my supervisor at work the car and he hears the noise, in fact everyone hears the noise and said there's an issue but the service manager at Hyundai tells me there's nothing wrong with my car. The car has 60,000 miles on it and is out of warranty because I bought it used. Warranty expires at $60,000 but I have documented problems since $27,000 miles. Hyundai warranty department case manager is very rude, tries to call me back when I'm at work at 10:30 in the morning after I repeatedly requested they call me at 2:30 p.m. and on, lies to me and tells me that she tried calling so I tried to call her back and cannot get a hold of her.

I requested a new case manager and they said they cannot give me a new case manager. They are dragging their feet, they also told me there is no issues with the Kona motors but they had ring problems with them. I will never buy another Hyundai product again, customer service is terrible and their warranty is terrible, they do not back their vehicles.

Original review: April 10, 2022

I bought A Hyundai Tucson From DutchMiller Hyundai and Chevy and it drank oil, it used 2 1/2 quarts in 3000 miles and 5 quarts in 5000 and Hyundai said that met their standards, they would not fix it. I called Hyundai and they made a case number and acted like they was trying to help me. They said they was going to work with DutchMiller and see about getting it fixed said they get them to run another oil consumption test and I just completed one and DutchMiller keep giving me a run around saying it was going to take a bunch of oil consumption test and still might not get fixed and if did it be a long time getting motor in it. I think it was a scare tactic to get me to sell back but anyway Hyundai should have fixed it, that was all I wanted was it fixed, I got scared and sold it to them and now I’m without a car. I will never do business with either one of them again.

Hyundai Company Information