2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.0/5 (1883 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Hyundai Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: June 27, 2021

I love everything about my car except for the engine’s power. I went with the lower end trim model and my best friend got the higher end trim with the turbo engine. Her car is perfect. Mine not so much. Have to turn off the a.c. every time I merge on the freeway. So if you buy this car get the higher trim. Otherwise it’s great. Bought it certified preowned so warranty is still good for a few more years. Had it for almost 2 years now with very few problems. Was able to cancel my AAA membership because the Hyundai warranty covers roadside assistance. Already had to use it once for a flat tire and the process was quick and painless and cost me $0.

Lots of cool features even on the base model like reverse camera and lane assist which I can’t imagine living without anymore. The all wheel drive option is also helpful for rain and snow. Here in AZ it’s not such a big deal but back in Chicago I felt much more comfortable on the road. Handled much better than my previous Honda. The extra space underneath the car is also great for handling snow. The size is perfect. I can fit into parking spots no problem but there is a ton of cabin room. I hit my head inside most subcompacts. Not this one though. The only interior design feature I would change is the large space between the actual driver's seat and the counsel. It’s like a black hole for everything that’s on my lap. Everything falls in there and can be difficult to get back out….

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I have been a Hyundai customer for many years. Fortunately, I have only had to call for roadside assistance a couple of times. They were courteous and prompt. Even when I had some personal technical difficulties, they were patient and understanding. They did follow up calls to make sure that the service was satisfactory and complete. Very organized and very professional.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I own a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. I can promise you I will never own a Hyundai again. My car has been at the shop 3 1/2 months none of the recalls have been checked. The car still cuts itself off. Hyundai keeps calling and telling me that they fix the issue only for me to go test drive the car and it still Loses power. They keep telling me it’s one thing charging me an arm and a leg And the car continues to lose power. First they told me the engine needed to be cleaned charge me $350. Test drove it still losing power. Then they tell me it’s coil pack number 3 charge me $280 to remove one bolt. Needless to say that still didn't fix the issue. Then they tell me it’s coil pack number 4. Another $280.

Guess what the issue still isn’t fixed. They refused to fix my car And want to charge me $910 before they release my car to me. None of the things they told me was wrong with the car fixed the issue. I’ve missed over 30 days of work because we are down to one car. Nearly $4000 between missed work and repairs that never needed to be done. Hyundai is putting me and my family at danger along with other families with their vehicle. I’m guessing until someone gets seriously hurt or dies it’s not their problem.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Hyundai Finance and Leasing have given me the impression that they think it's a great place to work, if it wasn't for the customer. Hours of being on hold. Not getting through. Then Getting through, just to get forwarded to another department, which usually gets you disconnected. Total incompetence! Total lack of any basic communication skills or work function. Can't even catch up a late payment due to no statement being sent, after 36 consecutive ones. No person to talk with to resolve anything. Steer clear of this car company.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Colonial Hyundai and Hyundai in general is one of the worst car companies I’ve ever dealt with. My Hyundai Tucson has been in the service department since March of 2021 to get the engine replaced on it and it STILL hasn’t been fixed! They gave me a downgrade of a rental car to drive and I was made to believe by the service worker (Kimberly) who is over my car that I would have my Tucson fixed in a couple weeks. Since then all I have gotten is nothing but LIES from her and the service department! They recently told me that it could take between the middle of July towards the beginning of August until my car is completed, which is utterly ridiculous! I’ve had 3 case managers since then trying to work on my behalf and they’ve checked for updates and somehow can’t really do anything to get my Tucson fixed any sooner.

What’s even more disappointing is that Hyundai will not take full responsibility for their wrongdoing! I called to speak to the General Manager (Talal) of sales to discuss other options. I was suppose to meet with him last Saturday but had another obligation to come up and could not make it. I called to let him know and did not receive a call back. So I called again today so I could see when I could meet with him next but he wasn’t there. I left my contact information for him to call me back but I’ve noticed over time they will not call you back so you have to keep calling. As a customer, I’ve been treated like crap and as if my concerns don’t matter! They really could care less! Hyundai is an absolutely awful company!!!

Original review: June 23, 2021

My 2017 Hyundai Tuscon I originally leased but ended up buying it when my lease was up. It was about a month later in December the engine/transmission went. I took it in the service department. Took 3 days to look at it but determined metal shavings were all over the motor and it needed to be replaced. Thankfully still under warranty. I then asked for a loaner and a manager in the service department told me "they don't do that." I ended up going to Enterprise for a rental IN DECEMBER. I called every week for six weeks asking for an update and I was told they were "waiting on a part." I then asked to speak to a manager as I was out money for renting a car for six weeks and another manager in the department said, "Yes we have one. come pick it up." I get there and I was told they didn't have any more cars to loan out. Obviously I threw a fit as I turned in my other lease.

By now it is MARCH and they still have not communicated when my car would be ready I quit calling weekly and went straight to Hyundai Corporate where they opened up a case and gave me a case manager. He was not that helpful at all. It didn't speed up the process of me getting my car back. I finally got my car back March 30th and my paperwork to turn in for reimbursement and I was told a week or so later the paperwork that the dealership gave me was not enough to warrant a reimbursement. I resent the paperwork 3x and emailed and called since they will not return my emails or calls. I would NEVER deal or buy from Hyundai again. There are too many other nicer cars and I am sure easier people to deal with than Hyundai. I will now go a step further and file civil action against them. The car was under warranty. I should be able to get my money back and they should have communicated better!!!!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I purchased a 2020 Kona. I am sure you have all read the reviews. They are true. Car has been drinking oil and I have spent over a year begging Hyundai to help. No luck. Got lied to and now can't get compensation through corporate. They actually expect me to keep driving the car and bringing it back and forth to a dealership. No, I am not a Karen, however I have dumped over 40 quarts of oil into it, spent over a year at various dealerships and even had to hire my own mechanic to tell me there really was a HUGE issue and I was being played. Now, I am down to pretty much not having a vehicle and BEGGING Hyundai to just take their car back and set me free of this in a fair deal that does not leave me broke and with nothing to drive.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I purchased a brand new Hyundai Tucson Sport in December 2019 off the showroom floor. I paid cash for it. In February there was a clicking noise so I took it to the dealership. After diagnosis they said that a rod was coming loose and they would have to replace the motor. I only had 2000 miles on it. I should say I'm 70 years old and I treat my vehicles with care. After replacing the motor it never ran right. I talked to the service manager and he lead me to believe that a rebuilt motor could have been put in it and could not confirm to me that it was a new motor. After taking it back due to low power I got frustrated with Hyundai and I traded it in at CarMax on another brand of SUV. I'll never own another Hyundai again.

Original review: May 1, 2021

We received a new car warranty with 4 years remaining and a used car warranty which would replace the new car warranty for additional 10 years. We took our car to Merced Hyundai for servicing. They had serviced our car before. I said the engine was making a funny sound. I spoke to the technician who said that Hyundai and Kia engines had been having breakdowns. They begin to work on the car and suddenly they ran into some difficulties. Suddenly Hyundai wanted all kinds of paper work. This went for some time. I mentioned our warranties. Hyundai Corp. said they do have a new car and used car warranty. They could proceed with repairs with no cost to us. Then the nightmare began.

Suddenly they couldn't find parts for our car. The mechanics have been wonderful. They have been looking everywhere. Hyundai Corp. seems like they could care less. At this date we are still waiting for parts to complete the repairs. We are senior citizens my wife is 74 and I am 78. We are on Social Security with part time jobs to make ends meet. Since Hyundai said they could not give us a loaner, we have had to rent a car for seven (7) weeks now. This is a small fortune to us. We have had to go into our savings account to pay for this. We are running out of money. We have talked to Hyundai's customer complaint service. All they say is that they are working on it?? Lately, for the past two weeks they have not returned any of our calls for updates on our complaint. Regina seems to have disappeared.

We are running out of money and need help. WE NEED OUR CAR!! As of this date, they are still waiting for parts to repair our car. Soon we will be forced to file for bankruptcy because we have to pay the $300 a week to rent a car....for no reason since Hyundai has turned their backs on us. We will have to give up our rental because there is no more money to pay for it....so, we will no longer be able to get to our jobs. Our golden years have become a waste and we are terrified!

Frank and Joyce

Original review: April 30, 2021

We purchased a new 2017 Hyundai Sonata. The car is still under warranty. In 2020 my wife called and said the oil light was on. I told her to pull over and check the oil. She said there was no oil on the stick. She added two quarts of oil and it was still below the low mark on the stick. I did research and found several class action lawsuits against Hyundai regarding faulty engines dating back to approx. 2010. Here we are 8 years later and dealing with the same issue. We called our dealership and they said we needed bring in the car for an oil consumption test. They changed the oil and charged us for it. The oil consumption test consist of returning to the dealership every thousand miles for 3000 miles so they can check how much oil the engine is using. The final result was the engine burns 3/4 quarts of oil per 1000 miles and that is considered normal by Hyundai.

Hyundai recommends changing oil every 7500 miles. This means we will need to add 6 quarts of oil to the car between oil changes. Again this car is under warranty and Hyundai calls this normal. We were told however, Hyundai does sell a $600 product we could add to the oil and perhaps it would consume less oil. The bottom line is I have a car under warranty, using 6 quarts of oil between oil changes and this is normal. My 2006 Chrysler Town and Country has 314,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 7000 miles. I add 1 quart of oil between oil changes.

Simply put, do not buy a Hyundai product. Take a look on the internet and you will see a long history of engine issues that continue to plague Hyundai owners. I called Hyundai and talked to Lindsay. She was a snobby customer service rep. who told me I needed to talk to Walser to get anything done to repair this car. So goes the circle. Keep an eye open as I assume there will be another class action suite soon.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Had to use Hyundai roadside assistance on my 2019 Ioniq to get the car from my home to the dealer. This process was easy and efficient and I give them 5 stars. After a day, local service dept. called and said I need a new hybrid battery (after only 2 years!!) and they are out of stock with no ETA. This dealer has no loaner car program so I am stuck without transportation. Called Corporate Hyundai and now awaiting a callback. Have had prior issues with the car but were fixed under warranty. Jury is out on how Hyundai will help me out. Not happy with the quality of the car since it wasn’t cheap.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I made a huge mistake and got a Hyundai lease. That was the wroth experience in my life. I spent many hours on phone calls with Hyundai Moto Finance and they crushed my credit report. Very poor service and very unfriendly personal. Don't ever lease Hyundai cars.

Hyundai Company Information