2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.0/5 (1893 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Hyundai Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: May 1, 2021

We received a new car warranty with 4 years remaining and a used car warranty which would replace the new car warranty for additional 10 years. We took our car to Merced Hyundai for servicing. They had serviced our car before. I said the engine was making a funny sound. I spoke to the technician who said that Hyundai and Kia engines had been having breakdowns. They begin to work on the car and suddenly they ran into some difficulties. Suddenly Hyundai wanted all kinds of paper work. This went for some time. I mentioned our warranties. Hyundai Corp. said they do have a new car and used car warranty. They could proceed with repairs with no cost to us. Then the nightmare began.

Suddenly they couldn't find parts for our car. The mechanics have been wonderful. They have been looking everywhere. Hyundai Corp. seems like they could care less. At this date we are still waiting for parts to complete the repairs. We are senior citizens my wife is 74 and I am 78. We are on Social Security with part time jobs to make ends meet. Since Hyundai said they could not give us a loaner, we have had to rent a car for seven (7) weeks now. This is a small fortune to us. We have had to go into our savings account to pay for this. We are running out of money. We have talked to Hyundai's customer complaint service. All they say is that they are working on it?? Lately, for the past two weeks they have not returned any of our calls for updates on our complaint. Regina seems to have disappeared.

We are running out of money and need help. WE NEED OUR CAR!! As of this date, they are still waiting for parts to repair our car. Soon we will be forced to file for bankruptcy because we have to pay the $300 a week to rent a car....for no reason since Hyundai has turned their backs on us. We will have to give up our rental because there is no more money to pay for it....so, we will no longer be able to get to our jobs. Our golden years have become a waste and we are terrified!

Frank and Joyce

Original review: April 30, 2021

We purchased a new 2017 Hyundai Sonata. The car is still under warranty. In 2020 my wife called and said the oil light was on. I told her to pull over and check the oil. She said there was no oil on the stick. She added two quarts of oil and it was still below the low mark on the stick. I did research and found several class action lawsuits against Hyundai regarding faulty engines dating back to approx. 2010. Here we are 8 years later and dealing with the same issue. We called our dealership and they said we needed bring in the car for an oil consumption test. They changed the oil and charged us for it. The oil consumption test consist of returning to the dealership every thousand miles for 3000 miles so they can check how much oil the engine is using. The final result was the engine burns 3/4 quarts of oil per 1000 miles and that is considered normal by Hyundai.

Hyundai recommends changing oil every 7500 miles. This means we will need to add 6 quarts of oil to the car between oil changes. Again this car is under warranty and Hyundai calls this normal. We were told however, Hyundai does sell a $600 product we could add to the oil and perhaps it would consume less oil. The bottom line is I have a car under warranty, using 6 quarts of oil between oil changes and this is normal. My 2006 Chrysler Town and Country has 314,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 7000 miles. I add 1 quart of oil between oil changes.

Simply put, do not buy a Hyundai product. Take a look on the internet and you will see a long history of engine issues that continue to plague Hyundai owners. I called Hyundai and talked to Lindsay. She was a snobby customer service rep. who told me I needed to talk to Walser to get anything done to repair this car. So goes the circle. Keep an eye open as I assume there will be another class action suite soon.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Had to use Hyundai roadside assistance on my 2019 Ioniq to get the car from my home to the dealer. This process was easy and efficient and I give them 5 stars. After a day, local service dept. called and said I need a new hybrid battery (after only 2 years!!) and they are out of stock with no ETA. This dealer has no loaner car program so I am stuck without transportation. Called Corporate Hyundai and now awaiting a callback. Have had prior issues with the car but were fixed under warranty. Jury is out on how Hyundai will help me out. Not happy with the quality of the car since it wasn’t cheap.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I made a huge mistake and got a Hyundai lease. That was the wroth experience in my life. I spent many hours on phone calls with Hyundai Moto Finance and they crushed my credit report. Very poor service and very unfriendly personal. Don't ever lease Hyundai cars.

Original review: April 24, 2021

My experience with Hyundai is the worst experience with a car company I’ve ever had and I’ve been leasing different cars for 25 years. I drove my 2021 Kona (top of the line) for 3032 miles before the entire transmission failed. I guess any car company can have a lemon in the batch so the fact that this car sucked isn’t what’s horrible about this story. It’s how Hyundai & Hyundai finance is treating me during the process of trying to return the car and get compensation back that’s hideous. They threatened my credit for a car I hadn’t had in months and made me continue to pay for it for months. They made me collect & turn in all the paperwork needed to get my case settled myself instead of helping and accessing their own records (copy of lease, payment records, etc.).

Their entire computer/ website interface for customers fails every month and you have to call to get your profile erased so you can build another one… Only it remembers the email you used so every month you have to come up with a new email & hope this month their system for payment & account details doesn’t fail. They are offering me almost NOTHING back ($2300) even though I paid 1500 down & payments from September 2020-March 2021 at $367/month. They don’t even understand their own processes and told me that a significant amount of the money I am owed back for the car needed to be applied for at the dealership due to “separate contracts for alarm system, clear shield, & other aspects of the car’s system..." But the dealership says that’s completely wrong. Oh ya, and every 30 days the paperwork I turned in expires & takes hours of effort on my part to resubmit. Do yourself a favor and RUN from Hyundai!

Original review: March 31, 2021

I have been trying to get my title from Hyundai for 2.5 years. When you call customer service, they tell you they will send an email to titling, but have no way to directly contact them. GARBAGE. They get no feedback from titling if there is an issue, so you have no clue how to proceed. A glass hammer is more useful than their customer service, and they cannot get an answer from anyone. It is an electronic title. Someone has to have the power to push the right button. This is beyond stupid at this point. I will NEVER buy another car from this company.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Hello, DON'T BOTHER WITH THESE CROOKS, looking into my options for a court case as we speak. FIRST I bought my car in 2016. Everything was great in that aspect, my salesman Ron was very nice, friendly, down to earth and not fake. I left happy, I loved my car at the time. I went to the bank for a different reason, paperwork in hand because I was going into work right after that. One of the loan officers said, "Hey you bought a new car. Congrats. You mind if I take a look at that paperwork," I said, "Sure no problem.." Well well. Long story short she seen that they snuck in a $2000 warranty that I DID NOT agree too. We all know Hyundai has the best warranty around. 100,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first. She also seen my rate was way too high. She fixed that as well. She also saved me almost $200 a month on my payment a year off the loan.

Fast forward to today. I just got my title in. I've paid off my car this year. Title says 3,229 miles on instead of 9 miles like it was when I bought it. Also says USED when it was brand new off the showroom floor. I have a picture of the odometer the day I bought it and left with it where it says 9 MILES!! not 3, 229 miles. I now do some research and see this is something they do all the time, sell people LOANERS and or RENTALS and say that they are brand new. Plop them on the showroom floor and screw over people right and left. Not me. I'm not letting this go. NO way NO how! I work hard for my money and I will not be fooled by some car salesman prick in a Walmart suit. Thank god I took pictures of that odometer. Thank god!

I called today and spoke to a DJ who actually said "I looked up your paperwork and **." REALLY BRO? Ok. Tells me I knew I bought a loaner. I said, "A what?" "You know a rental car?" The hell I did. Joe and Ron never disclosed to me my car was a rental just like they didn't tell me about the extra warranty they threw in I didn't ask for.. Empire if your reading this... I'll be in touch...don't worry.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Bought a new 2021 Palisade to replace a 2020 Kia Soul that was a lemon, 3 transmissions after 12,000 miles. Palisade lasted 2 days, 180 miles before fuel system failed. Dealership can't get any parts from Hyundai. Hyundai is supposed to be buying the car back from us. The problem is, it is next to impossible to get any communication from Hyundai. I sent all the required documents on 2/18/2021. Was supposed to send offer immediately. Now March 1st and have heard absolutely nothing. I call and email everyday, just to see if they even received the paperwork I sent over. No one has any answers and the person handling my case never responds. Dealing with Kia was a much easier process with great communication. Yes their transmission was trash but customer service was exceptional.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Hyundai has been the worst over the phone customer service. I've been with this company since 2011 and can tell you the services have declined dramatically. Whomever makes the terms and conditions for this company has failed. Please don't purchase for Hyundai to assist with getting them out of business.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

My experience with Hyundai is once again worst than the last. It is my 3rd disappointment with them and last, I just came out of a 3 year lease and decided I wanted to buy the car and instead of showing me my options through Hyundai Finance which I was leasing with they convinced me with lies about how being I didn't use the car much, I would have to pay more and convinced me to go with Chase auto loan, after a few days I called Hyundai Finance and the person on the phone told me, I should have bought through them which would have been close to 8k less, through Hyundai finance it would have ranged around 9k plus maybe 3k in taxes and instead now I will end up paying close to 18k.

It is my 3rd and final deal with them, no one there is honest and they are out just to rob you, I should have gone with my gut and listened to my cousin and end my lease and bought through Carvana, I wish I knew the info I got from the person on the phone earlier but I thought I was dealing with honest people, anyways God bless them and everyone reading this and make sure you always ask all the right questions and if you have to take time or reschedule to review things before you commit to it or sign documents, do so, so you don't get trapped and tricked like I did.

Hyundai Company Information