Hyundai

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

2012 Accent - My air con quit. Had 2 different mechanics look at it. Both recharged the AC and it still did not work. 2nd mechanic told me the problem is a control module in the computer and if the car is less than 5 years old and mileage under 100 k the problem is fixed under warranty. Called Hyundai. They checked my VIN. It was originally put on the road April 25, 2012... Is the computer programmed to fail just after warranty? It probably was not working then, however not a time of year I would use. Have been told 800 - 1000 to fix???

On June 29 my wife drove our 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe from Dandridge Tn. to Knoxville Tn. about 40 miles to pick up a friend at the hospital. When she got within sight of the hospital the car died and the oil light and battery light came on. There were not any lights prior to this that came on and the car was not running hot at all. We had the car towed home. The tow driver that picked up the car restarted it and it did not have any warning lights on and the driver drove it onto his flatbed and hauled it to our house, backed it off the truck and we backed it into the garage. We called Hyundai of Morristown and roadside assistance to take the car there.

When that driver came I pulled the car out of the garage and down the drive to the back of the flat bed and left it running. The driver pulled it up onto his flatbed again no warning lights were on. The dealer told my wife that the engine had no oil and the engine was burnt up and had sludge. They told my wife that we did not change the oil and that is what caused the engine to fail and it would cost us $8000.00 to replace the engine. I was on the internet looking for a used engine when an article came up on a settled class action law suit and recall on various Kia's and also included the 2014 Hyundai Santa fe with the 2.4 liter engine due to metal shaving in the crankshaft from machining causing engine failure. I printed the article and went to the dealer to the service department.

The service manager told me that the recall did not include our VIN # and that the engine failure was caused from not changing the engine oil and that their records showed that we had only taken it to them 1 time for an oil change. I told the service manager that I had been changing my oil myself. She ask me if I had receipts to show that. I did not keep the receipts for the oil and filters, I did not think I would have to prove to anyone that I had been changing the oil. I ask her where the oil had went and she said that there were no leaks and she had seen engines that the oil had not been changed in and that I had caused the engine to burn up because I had not changed the oil. She said that the engine was bone dry and had sludge in it.

We were in the general manager's office and were both getting heated so I ended the conversation and left. I called the customer care center and filed a claim and was told that what was sent to the warranty department was that the radiator was low and that the overflow was dry, that they had tried two different dip sticks and could not get any liquid to show. They also said that the oil light was staying on at idle and they had to add 5 and 1/2 quarts of oil. I have tried to get to someone to have them talk to the tow truck drivers to show that the dealer had dishonest but have not been successful so far. The dealer has been deceitful about this. They have not answered the question as to why we got no warning lights or overheating until the car stalled and quit. I have owned 2 Kia's and a Hyundai and after this experience I will never own another and when I get my Santa Fe back I will probably trade it in on another brand car.

I am having problems with my Hyundai Tuscon windows. My driver's side and passenger side windows have a short in the panel and many times will not work. I took them into a 2 dealers in San Diego and they could not repair. I spoke to Scott at Hyundai motors and he is helping me with my window issue. Thank you Scott! I will update after next repair. Thank you Hyundai for listening to me.

Bought a brand new 2017 Hyundai Tucson eco, I only had it for a few months and it's been in the shop more than I have been driving it. All types of problems with the electrical, it is at the shop at the moment I am typing this while mechanics are scratching their heads to figure out what is wrong with it and how to fix it. I called Hyundai corporate they said they would return my call, You think they did. What a joke.

They have no concerns about the safety issues with this car even though I tell them that the windshield wipers stick two to three inches from take off on the windshield. AC sounds like Gremlins are about to attack you coming from the vents. Transmission drives and shifts like somebody that does not know how to drive a stick shift when this is an automatic vehicle. Gas gauge sticks even though it's full and you can't put any more in it. The gas gauge will read from a half tank to 3/4 of a tank full until you hit a bump. Including with the issues the dash lights dim and brighten by themself.

This car should have yellow lemons painted all over it along with every car that Hyundai puts out especially since corporate is treating their customers this way, not a very good ethic on gaining your customers Trust or to get repeat customers. I really don't understand how this company is in business. I guess that's why our government had to do a bail out on their asses. My experience alone it has been a real shady experience.

I bought Hyundai Sonata 2011 less than 3year. Now upon reach 90,000 miles it started giving me problem. Each month different problem until 100,000 miles then the main engine pack off. Please stay away from HYUNDAI products. I and my beloved ones will never go it Hyundai product anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

We love the appearance of our Hyundai Sonata. However, it is covered under an oil consumption recall which the dealer will not fix. Hyundai's complaint department is no help other than recommending us going to another dealer. The next dealer is further away from us. We already drive too far to the current dealer for them to do the oil consumption test. Said oil consumption test involves the dealer changing the oil early due to the oil consumption. They have guidelines that say the car must use 1 quart of oil by 1,000 miles. Our car makes it barely past 1,000 miles and then hits 2 quarts low before the oil change is due.

We have been advised not to add oil or get oil changed anywhere other than the dealership. That's what we are doing. They seem to overfill the oil each time which gets us barely past that 1,000 mile guideline. We can't trust this car for trips. We can't keep driving back and forth to the dealership for them to do nothing. We will not buy another Hyundai and we will continue to warn others of our troubles.

Bought a 2014 Hyundai Accent hatchback. During the purchase I was upsold extended warranty (BIG mistake $2600). All was fine until snow fell. Bottom of the car, which is covered with what appears to be black cardboard, began peeling off. Apparently driving in the snow is considered reckless driving and not covered by warranty. If you live anywhere there is snow, do not purchase vehicles from countries that do not have such weather. And definitely do not purchase extended warranties!

I stumbled upon this website when reading about tires, and was surprised to see virtually every car company with such horrendous reviews. Then I realized it's merely a sounding board for angry people with car troubles. I just wanted to share a little about my little 2013 Elantra GT. I bought it new, have done all maintenance in my garage, have used nothing but full synthetic oil and Hyundai brand parts (filters, etc to avoid warranty issues), and in return? It's been hands down the best car I've ever owned. Nothing has failed in the first 3 years, 40,000 miles. No car I've ever owned has accomplished that. It rides like it's brand new, no squeaks, no rattles, no nothing. Comfortable as can be, averages 32 in the city, 36 on the highway. I've owned many compacts in my life, none have come even close to this level of ride quality. Simply put, we love the car. It's our first Hyundai, and we would buy another in a heartbeat.

And basically, this is merely a message to take everything you read online with a grain of salt. Including my review. Occasionally, you're going to get a car that's awful. I had one. 2012 Impala, kept it 9 months. It went back to the garage under warranty 11 times in those 9 months. Eventually, you just have to make a judgment call. Do you keep a car that's been nothing but problems? Or do you try something else. We now own a Hyundai and a Nissan and have been thrilled with them. Will I ever buy another Chevrolet? Sure! I just got a lemon. It happens. It totally stinks, but it happens.

My 2014 Sonata was at the end of the lease. I always had automatic payment out of my checking account. On May 10 I requested the stop of the automatic payment. I received confirmation and a paper invoice. The car was turned in on May 27. Hyundai still deducted the lease payment on May 29. From my checking account. I called them on May 31, they admitted it was a mistake on their part. They said I would get a refund in 3-4 weeks. Be careful of Hyundai. I would cancel my auto payment 3 months early to avoid this situation.

On May 10th, I purchased a 2017 Santa Fe Sport Luxury with 5,000 km on it. On May 17th, 2017 I went to back into my drive-way and my car jerked like I had hit something. I got out and looked, nothing, I was in the middle of the road, I knew I hadn't but I checked just in case. I had trouble backing up into my driveway. I was off work the next day and didn't drive it. May 19th, I drove to work, went to back into my spot, my car jerked, it wasn't going, I tried a few times, I eventually left it as it was, out of my spot a bit.

I called my salesperson, he told me to bring it in. I showed up. The female mechanic tested it and said it definitely had a problem but also heard the transmission grinding. She told me that they didn't have any spare cars on the lot and that it was safe to drive to come back Tuesday May 23rd. I mentioned that I had an appointment on May 25th, if she feels it's safe, should I just come back then? She told me it was perfectly safe. I told her I was scared to drive it, she told me it would be fine and repeated 3 times to not be scared.

Later that evening I went out and had to back up out of a spot at a mall. The car delayed then jumped back, I nearly hit someone. Since it was after hours I had to wait until Saturday morning to call the dealership. May 20th, 2017, I called my salesperson at 8:50 am left a message. We spoke at 10 am, he told me he would speak with his manager and get back to me within the next 2 hours. He said he would see if he could lend me his car but he wasn't sure if the Manager would allow it. At 12:30 I tried to call the sales person back, I got the machine. I went to the dealership and demanded to speak with the manager. They were horrified that I was told to drive the car and they found me a demo to drive until they figure out the problem with my car.

The mechanic denied saying that it was safe to drive and that I had insisted on keeping the car until May 25th. The salesperson later called me to apologize at 2:43 pm. 5 hours later on a Saturday and they close at 5 pm. I told him that customer service was on this matter was not good. If he couldn't help me at the time because he was busy, he should have had someone else call me. On May 23rd I received a call from the mechanic and the Manager to advise that my new car needs a new transmission. I will be without my new car for two weeks. I only actually drove it for 5 out of the 7 days of owning it.

I was told by the mechanic that she contacted Hyundai Canada to make them aware of that this type of thing shouldn't happen. But from what I have read on here, it seems to be a regular problem. I also asked the mechanic if I could get another vehicle, the mechanic replied that generally once a transmission is replaced, I won't have any more problems. I'm very disappointed after spending over $45,000 on this car that I got a lemon. My very first SUV. I thought they made cars better now. I will be horrified if I continue to have problems after this.

I recently took my car into Tuscaloosa Hyundai which is nearing the 60,000-mile original warranty and discovered that the new car warranties offered are limited. Did you know that the A/C system is only covered for one year? All of the systems in the car have different warranties so the 60,000-mile thing is just a scam. At 60,000 miles you are required to have certain services done for your so called million mile warranty to be valid and it is very costly. I assume that as you progress your mileage there will be more costly charges to continue your warranty. I just wanted to make the public aware that you are not getting a full bumper to bumper warranty.

Whoever heard of a 1-year warranty on an A/C? On some systems, you have to pay for the parts while you are under warranty. This was never disclosed to me during my purchase of this vehicle. You can look the new car warranty up online and it says "Limited" new car warranty. I thought a warranty was a full warranty but this is not the case. My suggestion is buy a car with a real warranty, not a Hyundai.

I recently purchased a 2017 Genesis G80, made by Hyundai. They promise the sun, moon and stars on their customer service. They sell you on the concierge service, where they pick your car up and basically take care of everything. This is a totally lie and the service people have no clue on this service. I have issues with the way the hood is aligned and they had no clue about it, but when you Google the internet, it's a common problem. Once Hyundai dealer was unsure if they had concierge service or not and put me through to voicemail. I wouldn't recommend Genesis to anyone... just completely horrible customer service!! I would NEVER, NEVER EVER buy another Hyundai or Genesis. Pay the extra money and buy an Acura or Lexus!

From the car buying process, getting the car serviced, returning and paying off the car, this experience was a nightmare. I was constantly told one thing, only to be misled and overcharged. I wouldn't recommend buying a car from Hyundai to anyone. Save yourself the money and headaches and go elsewhere.

I have a 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo and it kept stalling while in drive. My seats started cracking after only 6 months. My resonator and exhaust has to be replaced with less than 6000 miles on it. Hyundai definitely needs to recall this vehicle because my car has been back and forth in the shop due to the mechanics solely depending on computer codes to find what's wrong. Do it the old way. Actually look at the components and parts of the car. It should not take almost 3 weeks to figure out the grounding wires were bad.

Never buy a Hyundai!!! I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited and I have had nothing but regrets. Everything that could possibly go wrong, HAS! I had the famous engine failure in December 2016. It just stalled and seized on the highway and the useless Agincourt Hyundai dealership in Toronto that I took it to DID NOT EVEN PRESENT THE CASE TO HYUNDAI CANADA INITIALLY. They just asked me to bring $9,000 for an engine replacement. I had to call Hyundai Canada myself, and they also tried to void my warranty until I threatened legal action. They finally gave me a "new engine" and less than a week later, my driveway was an oil pool, the engine oil leak was so bad that my dipstick dried up in days!

Besides the engine issue, there has been countless MIL (check engine light) illuminations: from 02 sensor to catalytic converter to issues with the gutless turbo the car has. The shocks and struts on the car are so useless too, they have been changed severally. The wheel alignment is the worst, it's like it loses alignment every 3000 km! I do not drive badly, but somehow this piece of garbage always pulls to one side even after an alignment. The sunroof creaks! My backup camera chooses when it's going to work, on other days it just shows me a blue screen when in reverse! The sound system is total nonsense (I have the dimension system)! I REPEAT: DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI!!

HYUNDAI CANADA WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR VEHICLES. Back in November of 2012 I wrote Steve Kelleher a letter stating my sheer dissatisfaction with the water problems I was experiencing with my 2010 Genesis Coupe. These problems became apparent in October 2009, less than 6 months from when I purchased it brand new in May of 2009. I have a multitude of work orders showing evidence of this water leak as well as my diligence in trying to address these issues. To date the sunroof is still leaking and soaking the back interior of my car. HYUNDAI CANADA is refusing to address this leak as the car is now out of warranty.

In my letter to Mr. Kelleher I stated the following as well as sending him proof of the work orders: Water running down the back speakers after rain. Leaks soaking the trunk as well as interior back panel and seat. The radio cuts in and out after heavy rain when the car is cold. The air conditioner and fan randomly turn on when both dials are off. Thick frost accumulates on the insides of the windows when cold. Windows fog up in the rain. The car smells musty. Back tail lights leaking.

Since then radio cut out when loading CD player, eating my CD and rendering CD player inoperable. Because of a faulty sunroof mechanism the water leaks have caused staining of the interior liner. The interior liner was totally replaced because of extensive water damage. The seals around the back window were replaced springs popping out of the back seat and the leather seat ripping at seams where water was pooling so the backseat was replaced. The passenger window was lifted and reset because it was an entry point for water. The ABS light remained on and was repaired. The passenger window would not close and sporadically after a rain gets stuck. Tail lights leaking both resealed. LeakPro resealed the car (sunroof, mechanisms, drip tray...etc.). Over 1" of water was recently wet-vacuumed out of the trunk.

This car has done nothing but leak and after almost 8 years the water leak has not been resolved. Over the years the dealership has tried to address the problems that the water leak has caused but for whatever reason have not addressed the water leak itself. My car is still getting soaked after it rains. The dealership cannot afford to investigate this leak further and submitted a request to Hyundai Canada which was declined. It is time for Hyundai Canada to step up and back their product and their warranty. Because this has been an ongoing problem that has not been resolved since I purchased the car in 2009, the time sensitivity of the warranty should not be a factor.

I am a single mom who has recently been reduced to a 4 day work week. I saved for and purchased this car because of Hyundai's extended warranty and their reputation of standing behind their product. This car was not cheap and I expected it to last me a very long time. With water damage this car will rust and cause more electrical problems.

I leased my 2015 Sonata Sport in Feb of 2016. It had been a service loaner and had almost 5000 miles on it at delivery. After about six months in Aug of 2016 my car would not start and I had to call Hyundai Roadside to jump it. I brought it into the dealer the following week. They tested the battery, said nothing was wrong, and suggested I did something to cause the battery drain. Well, I continued to have the problem and brought the car back to the dealer in Nov of 2016. This time they said the battery was bad and replaced it. Even after replacing the battery, I continued to have the problem and brought the car back to the dealer in Jan of 2017. This time they blamed the problem on the Allstate insurance device I have plugged into the car and they said the battery was bad too. So they replaced the battery for the second time and I had the Allstate device replaced.

I continued to have the same problems. I brought the car back to the dealer the following month and they said they could not replicate the issue and found nothing. It seems that my vehicle battery dies when I don't use the vehicle for a period of time – often 1.5 - 2 days, but it has died from sitting unused in as little as 22 hours. Since I continue to have this issue without any real help from the dealer, I contacted Hyundai consumer affairs in April of 2017 and they have been slow to take any action. I did not receive any actionable info from them until 2 weeks after I first called... They called the dealer I had been working with and the dealer told them they thought the issue was the insurance device (even though they found no problems the last time I had the vehicle there, with the device plugged in).

So my Hyundai case manager told me they could not do anything until the insurance device was ruled out as a cause. I removed the device and purposefully did not drive the vehicle for a full day and surprise, the car was dead. So I called my case manager at Hyundai and told her what happened and that the device could be ruled out. Now she is checking to see "if or when" (her words) a Hyundai specialist can look at the car. Hopefully, it won't take another two weeks to find that out. It seems I'm not the only person with this issue as a couple other reviews very recently indicate the same problem on the same year/make/model and with even the same time frame the problem began! I guess it's time for me to find a lawyer too.

Very angry with Hyundai Motor America. At the end of February my car had a warning light (the only one ever) "Hybrid battery low, stop do not drive". After 2 days hunting for a battery, we replaced the battery only for it to be completely dead. Had it towed to the dealership. They run a diagnostic on it and tell me that it needs a power relay assembly kit replaced. Ok, so we have that replaced. The next day I call and they say, "Well we replaced it but your engine is locked up!" BULLCRAP! I have been going back and forth for over 2 months with Hyundai Motor America only for them not to stand up to their word!

HMA called dealership to have them drop the oil pan and look for metal fragments, well guess what? They found metal fragments in my oil pan. Even knowing that these metal fragments are in there they are still denying my claim and refuse to replace my engine. They say my car is not part of the recall, imagine that! Is anyone's car actually in the recall... I am so **! They are worthless liars! Would like to have an attorney to contact us all.

I have had my 1st Santa Fe 2002 brand new! Never had a problem with it. Since then went back and got a Tiburon and two other Accents. Great cars. Last month March 25, 2017 decided traded in my old Santa Fe (189,000 miles) for a brand new one. At 600 miles notice a strange sound. Took it in. At this point the dealership telling me it needs a brand new transmission! Haven't had my car for even a month!

I did contact Hyundai Corp. My case lady answers her phone right away and calls back right away along with the dealership and service dept. Yes. They have great customer service. But at this point. They have given me a rental car, but what will they do next? No one wants a brand new car that has already been torn apart. That's why I got brand new. Not a used one. I do hope they buy back the car and just give me a new one. This was the 5th car we have got from Hyundai and from the same dealer. I just made my 1st car payment yesterday on a brand new broken down car. :(

My daughter purchased a certified pre owned 2013 Sonata limited turbo. She took it to have regular maintenance, so she took good care of the car. On February 2017 she was driving down the road when she heard a noise from under the hood, so her friend told her to pull over so he could check it out, when he lifted up the hood there was a red glow. He immediately told her to get out of the car. Within an minute her car was engulfed in flames. The car burnt so bad, all that was left was the trunk of the car. Had he not told her to pull over my daughter and her friend would have died in that car.

She notified Hyundai about this. For one because it was still under warranty and two her car burnt to the ground for no reason out of nowhere. They took about 2 months to get back to her and when they did they only offered her what they call fair market value, which was way lower than what she paid for the car. With what they offered she couldn't even touch the kind of car she had and is still making payments on. They were rude and the one guy hung up on me when I got upset with his attitude. We have called repeatedly trying to talk to someone in charge but to no avail. We have heard from a friend of hers that someone on Facebook has had their car go up in flames also. Hyundai does not stand by their product and they also have the worse customer relations that I have ever experienced. Never ever would I recommend buying a Hyundai car.

In January of this year (2017) I was on my way home from hockey when my engine failed. I was just turning onto the highway and beginning my acceleration when the engine just about stalled. I was only thankfully doing about 30 km/hr and put the vehicle into neutral and pulled over to the shoulder. I shut the engine off and got under the hood for visual inspection. Upon checking the Oil there was barely any registering on the dipstick (oil is checked during every refuel). Thankfully I carry 2 litres with me at all times. It took both of these to register on dipstick. I turned the engine back on and with no warning lights and smoother running engine, I carried on my way home keeping speeds less than 70 km/hr as the immediate lack of oil concerned me.

About 5 minutes from home both engine and oil warning lights came on, and the vehicle was beginning to run rough again. Once home I again checked my oil and this time there was nothing on the dipstick. I left the vehicle in my garage until appointment at my Hyundai dealer. I do my own oil changes every 5,000 km with recommended full synthetic 5w30. The only leak I have ever found was a very small one around oil pan. The dealer inspected and concluded I require a "new lower block" and that without my receipts they won't honor the warranty.

Having done some research online in days between failure and dealer appointment I found multiple accounts of the same failure happening, some within less than a 1,000 kms of having factory dealer oil change done. So when my service informed of no warranty coverage I asked how is that the cause of my failure and others too. Was given a shrug... So the quote for repairs was well beyond my financial means, having lost my job. The dealer had no additional options for me and left me feeling blamed and written off.

Then out comes the 1.4 million vehicle recall outlining the "possible failure" that I experienced in January. I contacted Hyundai Customer service via email April 8, 2017, they responded with a question April 10, I replied and now all I can get is an "auto-reply" message. I called on April 12, and was told that my VIN falls within the date range affected and that was about it. Asked if I should contact dealer again and was told up to me. I have been without my vehicle since the failure occurred and now without any answers.

I currently own this 2015 Sonata limited and have seen very little of it lately. I purchased this car in October 2015. After around seven months of ownership, my battery went dead. I called service. They jump the car and figured that was the end of the problem since it was a very cold morning. A few days later the same thing happened again. Called the service. They jump the car. This time I drove it to Star Hyundai service. The manager at that time, Mike told me that there was nothing wrong with the battery and they were not replacing it. This was after two hours of trying to diagnose the problem. He tell me if it happens again I should have the car towed in. That is exactly what I did a few days later. He still refused to admit that there was something wrong with the battery.

I then contacted the dealer whom I bought the car from who put the screws to him and he finally changed the battery. I thought this was the end of the problem. Wrong! This problem has repeated itself several times over the last few months. I have had three new batteries since the original battery put in to this car. I only have around 16,000 miles on the car. After the issue had escalated I contacted their customer care department. I was given a case number and a really horrible case worker. He never answered his phone, was very slow to get back to me. Kyle **. They advertise great customer service. HORRIBLE!!!

I was forced to hire a lemon law lawyer. My car is presently in the shop going on 26 days. They could not find the reason for the battery failure. Fortunately for me, I was given a loaner. Now I am just waiting to see what they are going to do as far as replacing the car or offering me a buyback. I certainly don't want a replacement. This was my first and my last Hyundai purchase.

Engine fails to start: I leased my 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid on Sept. 2014 and it has been in the shop 12 times in last year and half. When trying to start, all console warnings beep, the interior and exterior lights flash off and on and the brake pedal goes up and down on its own. You cannot stop it and it continues until it drains the battery. I have complied with everything the service department have told me to do from jumping it and bringing it to them, having tow truck bring it in, turning off lights, radio, and a/c before turning it off but the problem continues and the service techs can find no problem. They provided a loaner twice but am now being told as it sits in shop this time that Hyundai will not pay any more for a loaner.

I opened a case in Dec and was told if problem continued to call. I called again when problem occurred but was told I needed to open a new case. So here I go again. The manager offered the dealer I purchased it from will not return my call and the first case manager will not return my call and the service tech does not know what to do with it. I'm at wit's end. I just want out of my lease with no fees or early termination charges and walk away from this nightmare. I have owned 3 other Hyundais and always praised Hyundais but no longer. I will not be purchasing another Hyundai and I would dissuade anyone I know from buying from this company. I am learning they do not stand behind their products.

We needed roadside assistance since our car stop. The person sent was in a regular car and not under any towing service company. Very unprofessional. The person who gave us a jump start did it backward three times causing our car to set off an alarm and causing a surge charge to our car. Blew a fuse and the IMP box was fried. Now no one wants to take responsibility for the wrongdoing and $520.00 later and to top it off I'm a suspect in this whole ordeal since the car was towed Sunday 2:33 am to our home and not towed to the dealer until Monday morning. So much for trust in services you pay for.

I'm canceling my service with them and make sure that I let people know how poorly I was treated and even accused of tampering with my own car. Really WTH, why would I try to fix something I have no idea how it works especially when the moron who charges my car wrong three times told us it was the alternator that was bad? My trust in Humans right now is not very a good one. I'll trust my dog better.

In short: Hyundai has come a long way. As a Honda loyalist, I was nervous about choosing a brand with a "history of reliability issues". I test drove every Hybrid sold in the US and much to my surprise, the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid came out on top of the many categories I laid out for myself. Hyundai really took the time to design the ergonomics, style, feature-set, and accommodations for this car, which I fell in love with. My dealer made buying one simple, straightforward, and pressure-free.

In Detail: CABIN: After driving the gamut of hybrids available in the US (Fusion, Prius [+ IV, C & V], Civic, Avalon, Camry, Accord, Volt, Crosstrek, CR-Z, C-Max...) I was finally talked into "at least test driving" the Sonata Hybrid. My partner had a 2012 Sonata that was recently totaled, (air bags deployed, driver and passenger safe and unharmed) that we both liked a lot, so I put my brand loyalty and pride aside to appease this silly recommendation.

I got in and almost immediately fell in love (with the cabin, at least). Bluetooth connectivity, Pioneer audio w/ subwoofer, 8" screen, automatic dual-zone climate control, 4" in-dash LCD screen, push-start engine, heated leather seats, contemporary (if not ultra-modern) dash design, roomy front and rear seats, tons of storage space, and an overall feeling of luxury car enveloped you the moment you sat down. The real over-the-top, wow-factor element was the panoramic sunroof with an automatic curtain system... it was just, wow.

TEST DRIVE: The dealership gave me the keys and said, "We'll see you when we see you." Instant acceleration? Absolutely. Hybrid? No way. This Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH) drove like a dream. Smooth, peppy, sporty, yet luxurious. I took it around for an hour or so and decided that it was going to be pushed to the top of my "contenders" list. It felt more comfortable than most of the other cars I had test driven and felt less like a Hybrid than all of them (thank you 6-speed transmission). After a day of driving other cars, the HSH felt like a retreat into a luxury condo. Everything about the car seemed to say to me, "How can I make you more comfortable? How can I make this drive more exciting for you? What more can I do for you today." This car was definitely built from the driver's seat outward.

RESEARCH: I was under no pressure to buy a car, so I took my time, researched all of my options and test drove every car that fit my basic parameters. As a car guru, I know most things about most cars, so my researched was aimed at filling in the gaps (i.e. owner experience, changes between 2012 and 2015 HSHs, recalls, future model introduction [at the time of my purchase, the 2016 HSH had been announced, which did encourage me to buy sooner than later, considering the design change was, in my opinion, moving backwards], dealership issues, etc). I joined the Hyundai forum for Sonata Hybrids and extensively read through threads describing issues specific to the HSH I was considering.

PURCHASE: After several weeks of consideration and re-test driving the cars that made the top of my list, I finally decided that the 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited w/ Ultimate Package was the car for me. Then the fun began. I called every Hyundai dealership in the Tri-State Area (VA-DC-MD) getting price quotes, availability, and dealer-specific incentives. I knew that I wanted to buy from Alexandria Hyundai, but after seeing their "price match guarantee", I decided I'd get the best deal possible, then have Alexandria Hyundai match it. The car at the time had an MSRP ~$33,500 (the limited package added upgraded tech, leather seats, some aesthetic features; the ultimate package added the panoramic sunroof and the Pioneer Stereo system) and I was in the market for something under $27,500.

With the new '16 being released in the coming month and gas prices having plummeted, dealers seemed exceptionally willing to slash prices for almost any reason. To cut to the chase, I was able to have two Southern VA dealers battle it out to get my car down to $24,500 out the door (OTD). I was exceptionally happy with that price, brought the lowest quote to Alexandria Hyundai, and they said they would match it. They had the exact car I wanted, so I was ready to buy. I didn't haggle much from that point, because their dealership incentives were far better than any of the others (free car washes, free oil changes and tires for life, free inspections, free loaner with major service, etc). After going through the paperwork, which was a smooth transition, the car was mine (at least physically). Everything about the car was explained to me and I left a very happy consumer.

20,000 mi. UPDATE: Having had the car for 2 years, I am incredibly happy with the car itself and Alexandria Hyundai. I've had very few services, but each time I brought my car in, I was treated very well and work was completed efficiently. The car drives like it did when I drove it off the lot that first day, with some minor wear in conspicuous places (the "SONATA" printed on the floor mat is less silver than it was back then). I'd recommend Hyundai for consideration to friends and family; I'd especially recommend the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid; and I'd INSIST that if they were buying one, they go to Alexandria Hyundai in Northern Virginia.

FINE PRINT: I bought the diamond white pearl model because it's 10x more luxurious than the other colors. It's gorgeous enough to rival my friend's Lexus RX-350 hybrid. I'm still very much enamored with my car and think that 2 years later it is still one of the most attractive vehicles on the road. I am constantly told that my car looks brand new, looks and feels like a luxury car, and is "sooo quiet."

Well, I have now officially scratched Hyundai off my list of car companies I will ever buy from or deal with again. To me, customer service is important and when I find a car company that treats their customers no better than United Airlines I take note and tell others. It all started with a known engine problem with my Hyundai model that was diagnosed at two different repair shops one independent and one Hyundai service dealer. The dealer advised me that even though I recently went out of warranty, it was a commonly known problem and I should contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs at (800) 633-5151 and see if they could help.

I then opened a case and a fellow at Hyundai Consumer Affairs named Christen asked me what my desired outcome was. I was being reasonable and said I would at least like them to cover the cost of the faulty part, and he said he would open a case and said it seemed like a reasonable request and would likely get approved. The only stipulation was that I take my car into a Hyundai dealer for the repair work and talk directly with the service manager. Once the work was completed, I was told we could get this resolved with Hyundai within a week to ten days.

Two days later I was provided with the repair costs from the dealer along with a message that my case # ** that was created with Hyundai was denied. I was then advised by the dealer to re-contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs at which time I now talked with Zira who informed me that the decision was final and there was no chance for appeal or reconsideration. I was at a dead end with Hyundai. She said if I had a problem I could contact the Better Business Bureau which I most certainly did along with writing about my experience here.

At this point, I don't expect Hyundai Consumer Affairs to do what is right after misleading me into one of their service dealers and then leaving me with the full bill payable to Hyundai. I do however want to now share my experiences with other potential car buyers so they know what to expect from Hyundai in the way of customer service moving forward if they ever consider buying a Hyundai now or in the future. After how I was treated by Hyundai Consumer Affairs, I certainly know they will never get any business from myself, my family, and many of the people I know.

I am writing to make Santa Fe owners aware of a problem I encountered which not only was a very costly blow but was a significant inconvenience to my family's Xmas holiday. While driving to the US for a ski holiday shortly after Xmas my engine started rattling. No warning lights but it was significant enough that I knew I needed to pull over. Someone checked it out and told me not to drive it any longer. We checked the oil and it was like tar. Very strange since I perform regular oil changes and my last change was 5,400 km's ago. Turned out Hyundai said it was a lower engine problem and I needed a new engine.

I purchased this vehicle New in 2013 and have taken care of it. How does this happen with a new vehicle. I was out of warranty so it cost me $5,400. I read up on Hyundai's and discovered that many others are experiencing this problem. Primarily the Sonata's in the same year. Apparently a problem at the plant with the cleaning equipment in the lower engine. I wrote Hyundai and they told me that there is no issue with the Santa Fe's. I am certain that there are others who are experiencing this and I feel more need to make Hyundai aware so they can recall these engines. Has anyone else had similar issues???

I purchased/financed a 2016 Tucson Limited AWD in November 2015. In August 2016, I started experiencing issues with my transmission. Whenever I am in traffic, my car will buck and feels like it's going to stall and sometimes barely accelerates. When I'm stopped at a stop sign or traffic light and go to take off, my car barely accelerates. There are times where I'm barely going 5 mph and the RPMs are high and then all of a sudden will start bucking and then go into gear. I've had 3 almost near accidents because of this.

When Hyundai came out with the DCT recall in October 2016, I brought my car to the dealership for service on the transmission recall. I continued to have the same issue, but it recently got much much worse. I brought my car back to the dealership on 4/1/2017 for the same issue. They performed the same exact recall again. As I was driving to work on Tuesday, 4/4/2017 my car started doing the same exact thing. I called the dealership right away and dropped off my car the next day. I picked up my car on Thursday, 4/6/2017 and drove it to work today, Friday, 4/7/2017 and I was experiencing the same EXACT thing. I drive almost 80 miles a day to and from work, always in traffic and I'm terrified to be stuck in traffic, or to sit at a light/stop sign because I'm afraid I'm going to get in to an accident because of this.

I called the dealership again today to let them know that I'm still experiencing this and the service adviser left me a message saying that "there's not much more he can do other than to keep performing the update on the DCT." That update was performed 3 times now and we haven't gotten anywhere. I'm terrified to drive around with my infant in this car let alone myself. I've reached out to corporate and filed a case with them. This car is unsafe!!!!

The battery in my leased 2015 Hyundai Sonata won't hold its charge. Purchased in October of 2015 about 8000 miles and about six months into the lease the vehicle failed to start repeatedly. This went on through September of 2016 with the vehicle having to be towed to the Dealership's shop approximately every few weeks to every two months... I grew increasingly frustrated and angry about the Dealership's inability to identify the problem. Eventually I filed a lemon lawsuit against Hyundai Motors and a small settlement was paid in December of 2016. The vehicle had just come out of the shop 9/26/16 (11 days) before! I breathed a sigh of relief when for over six weeks the vehicle continued to start (it appeared that the problem had actually been resolved).

THEN on the morning of 1/17 of this year when I got in the car to drive to work it failed to start... it was in the shop through 1/30... again on 3/18 and has been in the shop since then while the Dealership continues to labor over the origin of the malfunction (which even Hyundai engineers have not been able to figure out). I am grateful that the Dealership has worked diligently to make sure that at least I am given a renter or loaner vehicle. I am no longer going back and forth having the car towed to the Dealership shop. I insisted that I be allowed keep the loaner until Hyundai Motors buys the car back from me. Fortunately, the Service Manager has been very sympathetic to my circumstance and hardship and has agreed to allow me to drive their loaner (a 2017 Sonata).

Unfortunately, I have not had the same experience with the Manufacturer Hyundai. Eight days after my initial contact with them (3/20) I am told that I must communicate with their legal division through an attorney... I am just livid!!! The Consumer Affairs Division of Hyundai Motors fails to provide accurate and timely important information, fails to return call as promised, and is extremely negligent in the instance of documenting the details of the Ticket the department creates. NOW... I am forced to communicate with an attorney for a second time. In the meantime the monthly payments for the lease of this vehicle are still due...BUT I AM NOT DRIVING IT BECAUSE IT IS IN THE REPAIR SHOP!!! I will update this file as my situation continues to unfold.

First of all. My first mistake was buying a used 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The car was OK but then after some time the car started stalling and I had my 4 year old daughter with me. Just when I was getting off the freeway it stalled on me twice. The car would make a clicking noise. Took it to the dealership and they said it had to do something with the steering wheel after I paid for a diagnostic check. Anyways it was too much and they said it didn't affect the car. I only ended up purchasing a new battery. Then my car totally gives up on me and stalls. Doesn't want to turn on anymore. Had to get it towed to Hyundai in Cerritos on the last week of February.

It needs a new engine and hyundai is taking care of it and a few other cars with the same issue. And it's been quite some time now and still have not received the engine and no update on what's going on with my car. But they did call me 3/25/17 to offer me a SPECIAL offer for this recall campaign due to the inconvenience. And at the dealership they hit me with "yes you can get a new car BUT you need to put $3000 down." I understand I would be receiving a good deal (employee discount) but this is not helpful at all. I'm struggling not having a car and not getting a loaner. and I reviewed all the complaints... it's unbelievable. I should have done research before going with Hyundai. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Hyundai Company Profile