1.63/5
Based on 113 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Hyundai

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

1463 Hyundai Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I own auto repair shop. Also I have a dealer license, I purchase a 2016 Hyundai Accent @ auction with 25000 miles, car runs beautiful, but we notice some weird noise when we put it in reverse. So we took it to this dealership (PRIDE HYUNDAI LYNN, MA). Long story short need a new tranny, dealership and this car company refuse to replace it because they said car was involve in an accident. Car is clean title, CLEAN CARFAX or CRASH REPORT, this F... people don't even know how a car runs. They only base everything according what a book said, STAY AWAY FROM HYUNDAI!!! THE FAMOUS 10 YEAR/100000 MILES FACTORY is a complete crap. Stay away from Hyundai!!!! For your own good.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased this vehicle - Hyundai Accent GLS. I am very due diligence with maintenance & have the receipts to support this. After 3 years of owning this vehicle, the engine oil light came on. I took it in every time the light appeared. A diagnostics was conducted by the dealership with no reason. A fuel filler was replaced to see if this was the issue but again, light kept coming on. I went to Hyundai Canada as my warranty was running out, only to be told this was my issue. I recently tried to do a trade in, but was penalize for the engine oil light that comes on, a issue the professionals could not diagnose. This is a buyer be aware, I would recommend going with another brand as I was penalized for purchasing a Hyundai

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

2013 Hyundai Veloster: I felt compelled to submit this review because of a recent experience I've had with the brand that has left a bad taste in my mouth, and in the interest of transparency, should be shared so this doesn't happen to another consumer. In 2012 my parents were looking to buy me a car as a graduation gift (in cash), and we looked at Volkswagen, Hyundai, Jeep, Ford. At the time Hyundai was heavily marketing the 10-year warranty, so we decided to look into purchasing a Hyundai, as this was a major differentiator and benefit from the other brands.

My parents ended up working w/ a local dealer in Maryland, who helped locate and purchase an Veloster for me. The entire time, the dealer was aware that the car was being purchased for me. Since it was a gift, I was not at the dealer at the time of sale, and my mother put her name on the title (this is an important detail for later). It was never stipulated that only having her name (and not mine) could be a potential issue, as she was NOT purchasing the car for herself.

Flash forward 6 years and I move to the west coast. Right after moving my car, I get it registered in California and transfer the title from my mother so I can pay my own insurance. Dec'17 at 55k miles I'm hearing a horrendous screech coming out of my wheels, and I find out it's a defective wheel bearing (should last 100k). At the dealer they don't mention that this would be covered under my 10-year warranty, because my warranty "expired at 50k". This sets off major red flags, as the front wheel bearings are part of "drive train", and should be covered under the 10-year/100k mile warranty - I know something isn't right.

I call corporate (1st time) and find out that the warranty on my car was just invalidated when I transferred the title, because I moved the car title under my name i/o leaving it under my mother's, which immediately invalidated the 10 year warranty (I've had this car for 6 years/55k miles). This is a major stipulation that was not presented at the dealer when the car was being sold to my parents (this car was purchased solely for that warranty), so I call the dealer to discuss this issue as it originated w/ them, and they refer me back to corporate. I call corporate again (2nd time) and end up talking to a customer rep who was incredibly condescending and rude, challenging why I would be questioning my warranty (because my car is having issues that should be covered), etc., and was just generally nasty the entire time.

I finally ask to talk to his manager, who he says will "call within 24-48 hours" - won't give me a name or a time (no one ever calls - I hope this conversation was recorded). I call the dealer (2nd time) and explain that corporate is not at all standing behind this, and that the dealer needs to get involved since their salespeople sold the car, and they're the originators of this issues. Long-short, they're doing their best to defer and stay uninvolved, saying that they're not responsible for anything at the time of sale involving warranty. In a situation like this, a brand that stands behind what they market, and a brand that supports and values their customers would simply HONOR THE TERMS the car was marketed and sold as, and move on. Instead, what I've found is a brand that seizes on the opportunity to shirk away from what was promised at first opportunity, both at corporate as well as at the dealer.

I hadn't had an issue with Hyundai before this, but this entire experience has left a terrible mark on the brand for me. In a lifetime you'll buy on average 5 cars, and I can confidently say it will never be a Hyundai again, and I recommend no one else does. Don't be duped by the marketing of a 10-year warranty - it sounds too good to be true, and it is. I regret not buying the Jeep.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Accent Hatchback out of necessity. Over the years I have come to the realization that this was a mistake. This is not my first car, though it is my first Hyundai. It will most likely be my last. Since purchase... I have now had 5 ignition coils die on me. I have never had a single ignition coil die in ANY previous car I owned or leased. The first three were covered under warranty. They all went at separate times. We had to fight to get the 4th grandfathered into the warranty. My car is currently at the dealership with number 5.

If you were to go online and type in 2011 Hyundai accent ignition coil... you would see other reviews indicating that this is a widespread problem. Unfortunately this has not been recalled. The dealership will not repair without charge... so we're now being told by Hyundai corporate that it will take 3-5 days to research. I've been without my car for over a week. This has been "an experience" that I do not wish to repeat. You shouldn't either.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

2012 Hyundai Velostar - They make these cars attractive to the younger drivers but I would never put my child or myself in another Hyundai. My daughter totaled her car with all front end damage. None of the airbags deployed. She hit her head hard enough to knock her out. I called Hyundai the day after the accident because even the officer working the accident and the collision center had enough sense to know the airbags should have deployed. After 3 weeks with no car and hearing nothing. I called them at which point they wanted to mail me "a packet" to complete and mail back and then they would start their "investigation". They will not help you... They make it so difficult that you give up!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

2013 Elantra GT - Defective CONTACT ASSEMBLY-CLOCK-SPRING Replacement Part # 93490-1W120. This is a BIGGIE! This item is called a clock-spring and is poorly designed and poorly manufactured and WILL fail at any given time. Its failure can be either constant or intermittent. You can start the car and all the idiot lights go out as designed, then turn the steering wheel in any direction and two things occur: 1. It illuminates the small SRS idiot light on the dash and, 2. Completely DISABLES your SRS system which means NO AIRBAG protection or any other protection on the SRS circuit! This puts you and your family at risk of death or serious injury should the device fail.

Hyundai has several other campaigns in regards to this clock-spring HOWEVER not all models and VIN's are covered despite the continuing failure of these devices such as mine. Hyundai will not cover this CRITICAL SAFETY device and you must pay all parts and labor to bring your 4 year old car back to being a safe vehicle as originally purchased. John at Hyundai Corporate attempted to get my repair covered but failed...Hyundai simply does not care about your safety or mine unless they are forced by the government. Look at how they tried to overstate MPG of vehicles...I STILL get money from them for lying to me about their gas mileage on this vehicle! All this is verifiable, just Google and read the number of complaints! Why should they not be held accountable for their poor choices and decisions when we hold other manufacturers such as Airbag mfrs., baby furniture mfrs, dresser furniture, other car mfrs. accountable.

My repair was $271.84 + tax but instead Hyundai opted for a NHTSA complaint, several bad reviews, a visit to the FTC website for a complaint, and a campaign of my own to inform the public of this shameful company and their below standard engineering and manufacturing. They designed a CRITICAL SAFETY SYSTEM with a HIGH FAILURE PART with an original warranty of 60K miles that puts your life in danger...even Takata didn't get away with that at ANY MILEAGE! AND...their replacement part, OEM replacement part, only good for 12 months or 12,000 miles! Even THEY don't trust the part. TERRIBLE design!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

2011 Sonata is a Bright Yellow Lemon. Worst car I have ever owned. Constantly needing service and engine had to be replaced at 85K. My wife won't drive the car because she doesn't trust driving with kids in car. It is literally falling apart and every day there seems to be a new issue or a recall. As I write this review I am waiting for my car to be towed because yet again...it won't start.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I bought a new Hyundai Sonata in 2012. I bought the extended warranty due to driving 20 miles to work each day. I have had my oil changed every 3000 miles. My car started using oil after about 100,000. I took it to the dealership, and they said they would have to do oil consumption. I went through this for 3 oil changes. They said it was using oil, but not enough to hurt. The dealership said the car had to be using a quart of oil per 1000 miles in order for them to be concerned. I was not satisfied with this answer, so I called to complaint line at Hyundai with no better results. My car is now using a quart of oil every 1400 miles. It will soon be out of warranty. Very unsatisfied with Hyundai.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have had nothing but issues since I bought this car. I bought a 2015 Elantra Sport, with 800 miles on it in October of 2015. Seemed like a great car. I got a good deal (I paid 18,000), it's a top trim level so hopefully the quality would be good. First thing that happened, the dealership insisted I change the oil every 3,000 miles. The service manual clearly states 7,500 mile intervals. They scolded me and told me to bring it in more often. Okay fine, whatever.

Second, the dealership did a recall repair (I never approved, they just did it) to my sunroof, which resulted in a damaged headliner, AND they dropped a screw in my defroster vent that I could hear roll around as I would make corners. I took it back and Hyundai approved replacing the headliner. They also took the dash apart to retrieve the screw. The work order said "removed debris", the tech didn't remember what he took out. It also still rattled and then produced a different rattle above 75 MPH. (So much more higher quality coming from the top end trim level). I should note they had the car for several days, no loaner car was given.

Next, I noticed my steering column was loose after they disassembled my dash. I could move it side to side. Also the clutch squeaked when you released it. And the dash still rattled. So I took it back in. several days later and no rental car, the steering column was "within spec", they couldn't replicate the clutch squeak, and they weren't allowed to fix rattles and squeaks past 5,000 miles or something like that (came from the service manager). Next issue, the AC goes out. It's Texas. It's July. It's hot. "Can i get a loaner car?" No. They weren't sure if it could be fixed under warranty (30,000 miles now). How is this not under warranty?! They had the car for several days. Turned out the AC compressor "failed internally" so it was replaced under warranty. No loaner car.

Now, most recently. The car has 59,700 miles. The engine starts to make a noise that sounds like a high speed rattle. My guess was the water pump impeller rubbing. So I took it into a different dealership. This time they can't diagnose it, but it's easy to replicate so there is no doubt there's a problem. 5 days goes by and they finally set me up with a rental car through Enterprise. One month goes by and they tell me they are going to replace the engine. That opened up a whole new set of issues. Apparently, the engine in my two year old car is now obsolete. Instead of buying a long block crate engine (like they originally told me) they are buying a short block and sending the engine off to an outside repair shop to build it.

I went to the dealership to look at the engine (I do a lot of car repair, and I'm a Mechanical Engineer). The timing chain is hanging slack and they've removed one of the camshaft retainers. The car is parked outside, with no valve cover. Lovely. They tell me the engine is being replaced due to lack of lubrication (very vague and general). My guess was broken timing chain tensioner. I saw no low pressure light, and there was no presence of metal in the oil during the last oil change (I had a sample sent to a lab for analysis). They told me that it's a good thing I brought it in when I did. Because my Powertrain Warranty Expires at 60,000 miles! Apparently, because I bought it 'used' the 100,000 mile warranty doesn't apply to me.

Well that was it. I'm getting rid of the car. I asked them to give me a price on what they'd buy it from me for. They responded with "because it's having major engine work, we can only give you $6,000". So basically. A $24,000 car, in two years, and 60,000 miles, becomes worth 25% of its original value. I am never buying another Hyundai.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I am so happy with this 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport along with the customer service that Hyundai provides. This is the 2nd Hyundai I have owned. I will continue to purchase Hyundai so long as this continues.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I bought a Hyundai Accent 2010 from just October last year and this car has brought me nothing but sadness. In just three months the car has visited the repair shop countless number of times and now it is not moving because the ECM is dead. Prior to this time the car was always vibrating and it shuts off while driving. This is the most dangerous fault. It could stop you anywhere even if you are on the express. After fixing the ECM am getting rid of the car for good and letting go of Hyundai from my life.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

This service is such a scam! They give it to you for "free" and then before the year is up and you can call to cancel, they automatically renew on your credit card. Then for a month now (calls started 12/14 and hopefully ended today), I have been trying to get through to them to cancel and reverse the charge!!! I have emailed them 4 times and tried calling only to be on hold for over an hour!!! They offer you the option of giving your number for a call back but then never return your call. I finally got so disgusted I called the main customer service. The poor woman had to bear the brunt of my frustration and said she would make a note of my call in my file and that my money would be refunded. Today was my 5th call and now I am waiting to see if I get a confirmation of my cancellation like I was promised. I love my Hyundai and have owned them since 1997 but this treatment is enough to make me bad mouth them forever!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

When you call in to Hyundai there is the normal menu that you select to reach the correct department. I was trying to reach Blue Link and I was put into a phone queue, there's music in the background asking you to hold but there is no indication of how long you have to hold. After an hour and 15 minutes with no answer I hung up and tried calling again making a different selection. I've been selected Genesis customer service. After about 15 minutes they picked up the line and informed me that I'd have to call back to Blue Link and they could not help me reach them.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and then found out that if you wanted to speak to a supervisor you could leave your number and they call you back in the next day or two. So I left my number and received no return phone call. I then followed up with an email to customer service and again received no communication back other than acknowledgment of my email. Its now been two weeks, 4 phone calls and three emails later. Not a single phone call for me to go full email response. If you have a Hyundai product need help they aren't there, Although I like the car I will not be buying another Genesis in 2018. This is the worst customer experience I have ever had with a major manufacturer.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I was a Hyundai customer for almost 15 years. I really liked my 2015 Genesis and was looking to get another Hyundai potentially upon turning in my lease. The dealership I leased from called me constantly to bring my car in early and told me I could get a better lease. I went into the dealership and they had nothing to offer me for a better lease that was close to the car I had and in fact they were quoting me a $150/month more for a lesser vehicle! Even after I left the dealership without a deal the same dealership kept calling me to come in as if they didn't know that I had gone there already. Terrible service! On top of all that, I tried returning my lease after finding a better deal and service at a Mazda dealership. All the local dealerships refused to take my car in at first! Finally, after a variety of different calls I was able to get the closest dealer to take my car in. Such a ridiculous process that I would probably not lease another Hyundai again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I am on my 4th consecutive Hyundai, and for the most part find them to be good value. BlueLink, on the other hand has changed my opinion of Hyundai. The customer care service, which is required to get any other service, is not valuable and I've never used it. I paid over $3K extra for a package with push button start so I could take advantage of the remote start feature. It's ridiculous that I have to pay $200/year to use this. I would actually be much better off to pay to have a remote car starter installed. I'd do this if I hadn't paid so much for the push button start feature.

I've tried calling Hyundai to see if they could offer any sort of promotional rate, especially considering that now new owners get 3 free years of BlueLink. I tried calling BlueLink customer service on several occasions and hung up after being on hold for over 30 min each. Finally, after a 45 min hold I got through and the rep was able to offer me absolutely nothing. I let him know that when I trade next time, I will be inclined to consider something other than Hyundai.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I ordered a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe lease in 2014 that included a hitch for my boat. The salesman assured me it had one. Took delivery and the hitch had to be added at a "discounted" rate to me of $500. Turned in my lease and, unlike GM, Ford, Jaguar, Chrysler (any other manufacturer I had leased from) Hyundai charged me a $400 fee just to turn in the car. In addition to that, they said I had missed a payment a year earlier by over 30 days (which I could have since my computer was replaced about that time and that's where I keep all my monthly obligations). They reported it to the credit bureaus. The only black mark in 50 years! Actually... I had two... my first and LAST Hyundai... never again.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have been overcharged by $150 and then they cancelled my account. There are no supervisors to talk to and no one to own this problem. I have called the corporate headquarters and was advised there is no one over BlueLink, therefore; customers have no options for anyone to get problems of overcharging taken care of by this pathetic company.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

After buying a 2017 Hyundai Sonata Sport in October of 2016, we noticed, at the first washing of the car that the clear coat was marred in several areas. We immediately reported it to the dealer. We took it in, he agreed that it was a defect, and sent us to several different body shops to see if anything could be done. We had it detailed (at our expense) and buffed but the marred finish was still visible. The dealer then advised us to call the manufacturing which we did. After months and months of runarounds from Hyundai Corporation, we are no closer to getting our car fixed. Their case managers don't return our calls when they say they are going to and every time we call them, we have to repeat our story countless times. Today we were informed there was NOTHING they could do. Sorry! We feel like their customer service is very poor and that stall you, hoping you will give up hope and go away. I will never buy a Hyundai again after this experience.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I leased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with Blue Link subscription for 1 year. I called blue link customer service to see if there was any special discount they may have to renew my subscription as the service is very expensive. An agent offered me 40% off, however, he wasn’t able to apply it on his end, he said a supervisor will call me to do so in 2-3 business days. No one called. I called several times but all I get was the same response over and over again. It has been over a month. I decided to pay for the service online, which takes 24 hours to activate. 24 hours passed and no activation. Call back blue link, a reset was done, still not working. The agent submitted a request form for service expedition, which they say takes 3-4 weeks for someone to get back to me, or my other option was to take it to the Hyundai dealer to change the interface system...

At this point I was soo frustrated with all the incompetent service and all the running around I am getting. I decided to call the dealer and showed up, only to be told that they are only open Mon to Fri and I will have to leave my vehicle there for the whole day. I will never lease, or buy again from Hyundai or even use their blue link service again. There is no accountability, no follow up, and no guidance, and their customer service Dept is very inefficient. I emailed MyHyundai customer service and MyHyundai consumer affairs dept regarding this issue with no response.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I sent my payment on the 24th of Nov, and it was due in the 22nd, I receive a late charges of $55.04, called customer service to waive. They refused strongly, they are rude, unprofessional and nasty... I'm leasing an 2016 Equus, will never lease from them again. I left Lexus for Hyundai, that was the stupidest mistake I ever made, will make sure all the people I know will not lease from those people.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

This 2014 Hyundai Elantra is the worst car I ever own! I had nothing but problems with this car. It stalls out all the time. I have it to the dealership 4 times and they can't find anything wrong. No codes and the plastic piece broken off when I pulled it up to, now the front end where my fog lights are the driver side plastic part has came off, I had my fuel injections cleaned at 15,000 and still this car stalls. This has been a bad experience with Hyundai main office not covering anything on my car and I had my case open 4 times over the same issues. I can't wait to get rid this car, I will never buy a Hyundai again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Blue Link is terrible. It is so expensive too. The app hardly ever works which is annoying. I like the concept but it doesn't work! I was still willing to pay for the remote start with hopes that the app would get better. However I cant pay for it because it wont let me do it online, no one will answer my emails or my phone call! Customer service is SO bad. I have called a few times and after waiting on hold for 33 min a nice person answered but was unable to help me. I asked for a manager and was told one would call me in 2-3 hours which is annoying but whatever. I wait... no call.

I call back the next day and was told "Oh... it has only been about 16 hours. Wait at least 24 someone will call you." Well it is a few days later, no call. I hate calling them because it takes over 30 min to get a person on the phone and they cant help at all. Multiple emails have gone unanswered. It is a mess and my service is up. I guess they don't care about quality or customer service.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My wife and I currently own 2 Hyundai vehicles, a 2013 Sonata and a 2014 Santa Fe Sport both of which use the 2.4l motor. Our issue began on night of 11/12/17. We were returning from visiting family in the Tampa area and a few miles from home our Santa Fe Sport began making knocking sound. At first I thought that something was possibly stuck under the car, or around the driveshaft, but upon arriving home realized the knocking was coming from the motor. On the 13th I dropped my vehicle off at a local mechanic for a routine oil change and to ask him to try and determine what the noise was and how to address the issue.

Being in sales I have the oil changed in my Santa Fe Sport every 3-4 weeks as I drive over 30,000 miles a year and rely heavily on my vehicle to earn a living. The mechanic reported back that he thought it was a bearing within the motor and that he did not recommend me driving the vehicle as it could potentially blow out the side of the engine block and seize the motor completely. At this point I had the vehicle towed to a local Hyundai dealer for a diagnostic to be completed. The diagnostic resulted in the dealership informing us that my entire engine needed to be replaced! They reached out to Hyundai Motor America in an attempt to try and have the engine covered under warranty or recall notice. This request was ultimately denied because I was not the original owner and therefore was not entitled to the 100,000 mile warranty and I was also informed that my VIN did not qualify for the recall from earlier in 2017.

Upon further research and found that the recall, which impacted my wife's vehicle, was released earlier in 2017 for the 2.4l motor in 2013 and 2014 Sonata and Santa Fe Sport vehicles. They were being recalled due to engine failures caused by a machining issue that caused bearing wear and then premature engine failure. When I inquired as to why the Santa Fe Sport was not covered under this recall, as it seemed to be my exact problem, I was told that my VIN number was not on the recalled list and therefore would not be covered and that was all the information anyone could provide to me. Upon attempting to escalating my concerns at the dealership level was told that there was nothing else that could be done and I was instructed to reach out to Hyundai Motor America and file a case and report back to the dealership, which I did.

I was informed by the agent at Hyundai Motor America that my case was already marked as a final decision and that nothing could be done, there was no one else I could speak to, no one to override the decision, nothing. The only thing I could do was reach out to Hyundai Motor America via email or written letter. So at this time I have a 2014 Santa Fe Sport with less than 100,000 miles and motor that needs complete replacement due to a bearing failure that is a known issue and has already been involved in over a million recalled vehicles.

I purchased the Santa Fe Sport at a used dealership with 21,000 miles and have documented proof of my oil changes, as I expense them for my job and do not neglect my vehicle, but none of this mattered to Hyundai and I was provided an estimate to repair my vehicle with a refurbished motor for $7,867.66! At this point I am at a loss I can either pay the nearing $8,000 repair bill or I can trade in the vehicle at $3000 toward something else and take a massive loss. This is a known motor issue and I feel it was something that should have been covered under recall. I feel that I cannot be alone in this issue.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I purchased a used 2007 Hyundai Sonata in June of this year. Two weeks after I got it the engine blew. A rod went out the bottom of the engine, through the oil pan, and onto the freeway. This was a known problem and a major recall for the newer models. Since my car wasn’t included in the recall, even though it’s the same exact problem that has caused a major recall, Hyundai won’t do anything about it. So, let me understand this Hyundai... Because of your engineering incompetence and poor customer service I am now responsible for finding $4000 to replace the engine?

If it wasn’t a known flaw I’d be happy to say I had some bad luck and that it was just too bad. But this makes me so upset to be treated like I did something wrong by expecting something to be done about their faulty product. I’m not asking for a brand new car, I just want my car fixed and even a used engine would be fine! I’m not asking for too much I don’t think. I have contacted Hyundai and their response was that it’s out of warranty so tough luck. Yeah, thanks Hyundai, never again!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This Sonata is my 6th Hyundai in 7 years. The cars look great, good design, everything you need for accessories is included. Great cars. They are quiet inside, I always buy the turbo models, great performance. The sound systems are very good quality too.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I purchased two Sonatas in past 6 years. One a 2011 model & the second a 2016. Both cars are performing well and the updates over years has increased greatly. The service dept at my dealer is excellent and free car washes for life of car.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I took my car into the Hyundai dealership on 9/23/17 for service only because we received 2 recall notices, one for the engine and one for the steering coupler. There were no other issues. I was advised after technician checked the car there was a small split at top of left tire and car indeed failed their engine test and it would be replaced under the recall.

On 10/19/17, received a call the car was ready for pick up. Upon checking out I was advised the technician noticed a noise coming from the steering rack. Mind you, before we dropped the car off, there were no issues or noises. Ok... was advised this is not covered under my warranty and would be around 1000.00 out my pocket to repair.

After leaving the dealership noticed a metal scraping sound coming from middle of car. Went back to service dept that Saturday morning (10/21/17) around 9:15 am to advise and was asked when I wanted to bring the car back because technician that worked on my car was off and he had to be the one to work on it. Took car back that following Monday, 10/23/17, explained issue again and proceeded to walk in the waiting room. I forgot to ask the advisor a question so I went back to the service desk and overheard the technician that worked on my car talking to other advisors stating, "I don't know what it could be. Maybe it's the rotors."

I know he was the technician that worked on my car because I asked him, "Are you talking about my car... and no it's not the rotors because we got them replaced along with the brakes about 2 weeks ago and there were no issues or noises afterwards." Ok, so technician takes car for a test drive and claims he didn't hear any noises!!!

I drove the car this time with the service manager and guess what... he heard the noise. I was told by him they would handle the issue. After another check of the car, I was told this time, it was the Front end valve muffler making the metal scraping noise. The service manager submitted a goodwill courtesy request to have the repair done at 100%, then 50%... both denied due to warranty expired.

Manager offered to repair at MY expense at the warranty rate of $506.56 for the part, $50.00 labor and $10.57 for gasket part. I feel like this was a technician error when reinstalling the engine due to the recall. My car was not having any issues or noises prior to dropping it off on 9/23/17, and again we only took it in due to the recalls. This is so unfair and poor customer service. I was warned by others not to go to this particular Hyundai dealership in Durham. I should have drove the extra miles to the one in Cary.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

My experience with Hyundai was not a good one. I purchased a brand new Elantra sedan, and initially was thrilled with the 'new car smell' etc, however the honeymoon phase was short-lived. The first incident happened when the car had been in my possession for plus minus three months. Its electrics failed just after I had left the freeway and was stopped in a left turn lane awaiting a green light. Amidst a bevy of rude hand signals, mixed with similar verbal comments, I managed to steer and push the vehicle over to the side of the overlying bridge. As luck would have it the vehicle started again after about five minutes. I headed straight for the dealership, where I had purchased it; but no fault could be found.

Two more incidents like this occurred within the next few weeks, fortunately when I was driving along side roads and didn't have my family with me. Each incident warranted a trip back to the dealership where the faults were supposedly seen to. Next the engine warning light kept on coming on, warranting more trips back to dealership, (two) by which time I was beginning to realize I had a sour lemon on my hands. Before the vehicle was a year old, the next item to fail was the generator, when I was on my way home from work amidst heavy rush hour freeway traffic. I had enough forward momentum to steer off the road and get stuck in a traffic island. (Just loved the difference in sound of horns approach and pass you.) Finally, the rear wheel bearings began to fail and I had to have them replaced. (Apparently wheel bearing failures are a problem with Hyundai models, as there was no charge levied.)

As soon as I could I traded in the Elantra, but because the vehicle had devalued so much, I got stuck with the brand and had to lease a new Accent, which proved to be almost as bad as its bigger brother, so I made a little vow to myself after breaking down due to an electrics failure when opposite an activity center, and went back to Toyota.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I love the Tucson except the new eco engine. When it changes gears it feels like it is going to stall out but I understand this is made this way because of using less gas.

Resolution response: Nov. 3, 2017

One major deficiency with Hyundai USA customer service is some of the Reps who answer customers' questions provide wrong and misleading answer, and this could hurt and harm both customer and the company. I did get wrong answers to my questions several times. One Rep who has a clear understanding of Hyundai warranty did provide me with the correct answer after I have made several attempts until I lucked out with one customer Rep among many who resolved the issue. Hyundai dealer should also have known what is and is not covered under the warrant. Hyundai did agree that the work done should have been covered under the warrant and now the dealer will reimburse me for the charges that occurred in 2013. I do admire the fact that this particular Customer service Rep, he/she did not provide his/her name, was honest enough and put the effort to resolve the problem. I am now very satisfied with the resolution and will definitely consider purchasing another Hyundai car, assuming they invest in training the Customer Service Dept. as well as the authorized dealers on the various aspects of the 100,000/10 years warranty.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The Engine of the 2009 Sonata (3.3L 6cy) suffers from frequent oil leak. Defined by the dealer as Fluid Leak-Engine. The Front valve cover leaks oil onto the alternator, and that leads to damage of the charging system and hence the alternator itself. The repair cost for replacing the alternator was $680 and cost of fixing the engine oil leak is $200. The failure of both happens every 20-24000 miles, in other words, the cost to maintain low cost car such as the Hyundai Sonata is much higher than a BMW, for example, and Hyundai warranty is just marketing gimmick. I called customer service seeking some help and the response from the agent made me determined that this was the first and last Hyundai car I ever purchase or any member of my family.

Hyundai Company Information

www.hyundaiusa.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use