1.3/5 (53 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

Hyundai Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: March 9, 2022

Overall, we were happy with our Hyundai Elantra. Decent gas mileage, very affordable Limited Edition with decent bells and whistles. Had a problem with the sunroof. Extended warranty fixed it, but overall, the extended warranty wasn't worth it. The car is too reliable for it to be needed! So I lost money on that.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Great customer service. Ahmed worked with us and ultimately we walked out of there with a new Kona. Tom sealed the deal working his magic with the numbers. Definitely would recommend this dealership for first class service.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

As far as I’m concerned this is an outstanding vehicle. I read everything that everybody’s got to stay on it and as far as I’m concerned it’s an awesome vehicle. It’s got a lot of power too. Only thing is mine's a Vera Cruz Limited and that means parts are not that easy and you can’t get all of it over the counter at your average auto parts store. That would be the only thing.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We had a Santa Fe and loved it but was looking for something newer for our retirement vehicle. The new Santa Fe was bigger and didn't want a bigger vehicle. We drove the newer Tucson and loved it and bought it the same day. It fit all our needs and been so happy with it. The staff is friendly and when we bought it, it was 0% interest for 9 years which we plan to pay off way by then. This is one satisfied customer.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

My daughter’s transmission is gone and because her step mother transferred car to her -due to her not having great credit when we bought it new -Hyundai won't cover it saying it's a second owner even though you can see same household address for both. Talk about not caring about your customers.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I bought a 2022 Hyundai Palisade in November of 2021. In June of 2022 I am driving back from a 180 mile road trip and my engine overheats. I add coolant and then take in shop for a check and oil change. I am told they may not have the expertise to check the radiator issue. So they tell me all is fine and give do an oil change. Two months later we see stains in driveway and check coolant and it is near empty. We fill it up and I overheat again that evening and have to have it towed. The dealership tells me the cap on that coolant is off and why it happened. I agree that I may have not had the cap on tight enough and it came off but it had a leak and my spots on the driveway prove it.

So, they tell me with short staff that they have no time to look at it for a week, because I did not have an appointment. I have to pay money for a rental and have had no communication on the status of my car. I have called multiple times and no answer. So now I am $700 in to a rental and wonder what a warranty even means at this point. I was going to buy another car for my kid with them but will not now. Maybe it is the dealership that is doing the service, but at some point Hyundai has to take ownership of the warranty.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

We have had 2 Hyundai in the family. 2012 Santa Fe Limited and 2017 Tucson 1.6L Turbo Limited. We our first car had a scary review that you can look up. People experienced engine knock then the engine would stall on the highway. We brought our Santa Fe in to check for this issue and we were lucky that our engine had been built correctly.

Our 2017 Tucson 1.6L has been a complete disaster and Hyundai has refused to fix it. The 1.6L is is crap engine in that it eats oil. One issue with engines eating oil is poor piston rings or faulty rings. In a Class Action Lawsuit in the USA, they found that this same issue was related to poor engine manufacturing and Kia and Hyundai agreed to replace the engines costing the company Billions. However, in Canada, Hyundai solution was to install a Knock Sensor in a few of their engines and ignore the rest of the engine. A knock sensor software update that is to help to let you know that your lower bearings are about to fail, and your engine will explode or even more dangerous, just shut off when you are on the highway. Hyundai stance is that since you are not in the USA, you should have to pay to fix your engine, or replace your engine which is the correct way to do this.

Hyundai does not seem to care about Canadians that have the same issues as Americans. I can not recommend the Hyundai brand because over the last 11 years, they have made some major engine flaws which in the end they want you to pay for it but in actuality, they should pay to replace a product they failed to make correctly. Out of all the brands, Hyundai would rather go to court than to help a customer. They would sell you a product the looks good on the outside, but the engine is not good and will cost you down the road. The fact that Hyundai now charges higher fees for their cars, didn't make them better at making engines but in fact, their engines are some of the cheapest quality engines built that not even their engineer were able to figure out that the engine would eat oil or destroy itself.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I purchased my Tucson in 2020. Starting the summer of 2021 I had my 2017 Hyundai Tucson in for the AC not working multiple times. It would blow cold air for 8 - 10 secs and then all warm air, each time I brought it to Key Hyundai of Milford. They would tell me they looked at it and there is nothing wrong and each time I go to use the AC same thing not working. 6/18/2022 again in for AC not working and was advised, "You are almost at the 40,000 mile mark where it isn't covered." (Even though for a year I've had it in multiple times and they haven't fixed it.)

I call Hyundai USA and spoke to an Elijah who advised me there is nothing they can do and to bring it back to the dealership for them to check everything at my expense. After getting nowhere with this person I asked to speak with his supervisor and he advised me there is no one above him and that I must bring it back to the dealership for them to check again at my expense when this has been happening for over a year now. This is not right. I took a video after being in my car for 30 mins with only warm air coming out, then after an hour of being in my car another video still not working showing the thermometer in the vent and the temp is 80 degrees. How is this a working AC. This isn't right. Seems all Hyundai cares about is selling cars not fixing items and making their clients happy and wanting to return. VERY VERY MAD.

Original review: July 11, 2022

So I love my Tucson. My problem is not with dealer. My 2022 on the window sticker says maintenance program included. It’s a turbo hybrid. I’m supposed to get 6 oil changes over three years or 36000 miles. Hyundai website says so. Brochure from dealer says so. It’s a a 2022. Commercial on tv says I get it. Paper work says worry free and hands off for scheduled maintenance. Dealer agrees with me and says they don’t understand. I have called Hyundai three times. This is either the most biggest case of consumer fraud or inept disconnect. Hyundai says I only get every other one. Nowhere does it say that. Been three weeks.

Original review: July 10, 2022

We purchased a 2018 Hyundai Tucson in July 2021. In June of 2022, the vehicle would not go in reverse. There were no warning signs and everything else had been functioning properly. After having a transmission expert with over 40 years of experience look at it, he explained that it was a "premature failure" of the transmission and that it would need to be replaced. We had the Tucson towed to the Hyundai dealership and they confirmed the bad news about the faulty transmission. Our Tuscon is 4 years old and has approximately 74K miles on it. It had 60,002 miles on it when we purchased it.

We called Hyundai Motor America and spoke with a general customer service representative who told us that the warranty covers 5 years and 60K miles, whichever comes first. The new transmission's cost was approximately $4,800 so we escalated our issue to a supervisor and then to a case manager. Our case manager, "Lenore", told us that they would cover 50% of the transmission as a "good faith gesture". We are under the 5 years but over the 60K miles for the warranty. We counter-offered and asked them to pay closer to 100% of the transmission. They denied that request and stuck with the 50% offer, which we eventually accepted.

Our case manager was not the best at communicating with us. We actually heard of the 50% offer from the service mechanic at the dealership before "Lenore" informed us about it. When we counter-offered, it took our case manager about one week or so before she would respond to us. I'm not sure if better customer service training is needed or what the actual issue is, but it would be a good start for the employees dealing with the consumers at HMA. From the time our transmission stopped working to the time we got our vehicle back, it was literally one month. My husband and I had to share our 12 year old trusty Nissan Rogue with 164K miles on it for 3 weeks before we could get a courtesy vehicle from the dealership.

We've definitely learned a lot during this ordeal, one of the most important lessons being to Google the vehicle and the year it was made to see what problems it has. We've also learned that Hyundai is one of the most unreliable vehicles out there on the market. Even the brand new 2022 Hyundai's have serious mechanical issues. Be smart and go with either a Honda, Toyota or a Nissan. Hyundai's may look nice on the exterior, but it's what's inside, as in the mechanical components, that actually matters.

Hyundai Company Information