Hyundai

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I took my 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid to the dealership for warranty repairs. The dealership kept my vehicle for two months before doing any repair. They completed the defective steering and denied the defective motor that went out at approx 58,000 miles. They did not respond to my request for a repair estimate or loaner vehicle. They did not call me to update me at ALL! I then received a certified letter stating if my vehicle was not removed from their lot within 30 days they would sell my vehicle at auction. My vehicle is not safe to drive. The defects were reported as soon as discovered while under warranty. I am obtaining legal counsel and would advise anyone who has to deal with Hyundai to do the same. They are unethical and their threat against me is unlawful. This has been probably one of the worst experiences in my life including my battle with cancer!!!

HORRIBLE company from service department - dealership - to Hyundai corporate. They know their motors are no good yet deny warranty across the board. They recalled approximately a half million Sonata's for the same problem mine has. The motor seized and they are blaming the owners for lack of maintenance. I had regular oil changes every 3000 to 5000 miles. DO NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT - GET AN ATTORNEY.

I have a 2012 Elantra Limited with a 1.8 engine and only 46,000 miles. While driving on the freeway 12/14/16 heard horrible noise, lost power and oil light went on. No prior symptoms! Towed car to Romero Hyundai in Ontario, California. Within a few hours Hyundai DENIED WARRANTY COVERAGE though my original 5 year/60,000 warranty is still in effect as well as my 10 year power train warranties. They did this without ever asking me a question or for any documentation. Same day 12/14/16 an instant 'review' was done and denied again! This is the month Hyundai settled a nationwide lawsuit about its 2011-2014 Sonata engine failures that are very similar where the Hyundai was apparently forced to replace thousands of engines and where there is a recall of over 500,000 cars for similar issues.

I would never, ever buy a Hyundai again! I am reading all over the internet about Elantra, Santa Fe and Accent Hyundais having engine failure problems too! And owner maintenance has not been the real issue since owners with this problem had proof of timely maintenance though Hyundai tried to blame their problems on their own customers. The man who immediately denied my claim was "Abe" and also Robert ** from Hyundai corporate in Fountain Valley, Calif. The dealership that didn't help me was Romero Hyundai in Ontario, Calif. If you have a similar problem contact me and let's file a new lawsuit to get Hyundai to pay for ALL MODELS - not just Sonata that have early engine failure.

P.S. By the way, this isn't the first Hyundai denial. My Elantra had tremendous starting problems when I first got it. When I asked the dealer at Romero if anyone else had such problems they denied anyone else did. I then went onto the internet and found Elantra owners all over the country who were having the same problem. Eventually service bulletins and I believe a recall was finally issued. Hyundai and its dealers need to be more HONEST with their customers and take RESPONSIBILITY for their manufacture defects and not try to get out of their warranty obligations by forcing their customers to pay for them!

I am unfortunate enough to be one of the tens of thousands of people that thought this was a reputable company that sold reliable vehicles and stood behind them. THEY DON'T. As soon as they have your money you're on your own. NO SUPPORT even from Hyundai USA!! I have an entourage. The headlights used to blow every three months that used to tick me off, but now they don't blow anymore because they don't work at all now!!! And it's a really common problem with this manufacturer. I called the main Hyundai customer service line and they are completely useless and really couldn't give a crap about the vehicle they sold you. Do yourself a favor. Take your hard earned money and put it in a vehicle manufacturer that values your time and money and your loyalty. THESE CLOWNS DON'T!!!

Bought this car 2nd hand from a dealer. Car had low mileage and was in great shape. Two weeks after we bought it with a 3rd party warranty, we found out we could can barely put gas in it. Also we had to get the fuel level sensors replaced because we never knew how much gas we had. We have talked to the dealership we bought it from. They said they couldn't fix anything because we bought it as is. It may take up to 30 minutes to put a half a tank in.

Recently we had to take it to a different dealership because the alternator went out which was caused by a leaking valve cover which they replaced the front valve cover and the alternator at no cost. But didn't change the back valve cover which was still leaking as well. Which I would have been more than glad to pay for. Also one day after we got it out the shop now the driver's side floor board is full of water because of something leaking from the sunroof. Which there have been so many complaints about these issues. But all the consumers get stuck footing the bill.

Having recently moved to New York State, I am required to submit a copy of the title of my vehicle in order to transfer the registration. Sounds simple? Call Hyundai, put in the formal request and receive a copy of the title. Life should be so easy. This process started just before Thanksgiving. Here I am now on the verge of having my car impounded as the 30 day registration requirement for the state is fast approaching. Hyundai on the other hand, can't seem to get me my document after several hours of phone calls, numerous calls, trips to the registry and time out of work.

The finance representatives are rude, talk over me and have lied on a number of occasions. So what am I to do? If they don't send the document, I can't register. If I don't register, I lose my car, get fined or have issues with the law. I have never, ever, in my 52 years been so frustrated, disgusted and downright angry as to how they have treated me, their lack of concern and inability to get me a document, that in today's digital world, should only take minutes, not weeks and going on months.

The representatives of this company who have deliberately lied to me, put me off and disrespect me are definitely in the wrong line of work. Customer service? OMG... they don't know what the words even mean. I need help before my car is towed away and I lose my job. Why? Because I followed Hyundai's process and protocol. Because I had faith in their people... because I try to do the right thing. I guess a person's word no long means a thing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

I leased a Genesis 20 months ago. It took four months to get the lease payment correct even with dealer involvement. Then 20 months later, I get a notification that my payment is late (of which it was not and verified in my bank account) and that I owe $100 more than the payment I made on time? When I call Hyundai Finance, they tell me that is was because in June (it's now Dec) my sales tax went up. They never said a word or sent anything to us in mail, email, call... nothing.

We have been making the original payment all along without a problem. Six month later you send me a past due amount, tell me my tax went up over 5% six month ago and that I have been making the wrong payment? How is this possible. Finally, I ask to tell me the specifics of what tax and they have no idea and have the city I live in wrong - even though it's the same as when I purchased the car? They tell me they don't have to notify me and maybe I will get a call back in three business days from a tax person if not call back.

I purchased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate from my local dealer at a cost of over $50,00. Since my purchase, my Auto Emergency Braking disabled "temporarily" light and alarm go off every few miles. My dealer says the computer tell them there is nothing wrong with the system. I have doubts that this system ever works. The dealer has had my car for over 10 days with no results. I have contacted Hyundai over a month ago but they have never called me back, only sending me an email saying the will contact me in 3-5 days.

Passengers in my car often remark, "What's wrong with your car?" with all the alarms going off. My dealer says it was not happening and I did take pictures to prove it was happening. All they could say was, "The system is working as it was designed." REALLY. I have purchased Hyundai cars in the past but never again. They refuse to repair the problem with an accessory I paid $2400.

I have a 2012 Sonata that had less than 80,000 miles on it and the engine completely blew. I found out that my car's motor was recalled so I contacted Hyundai and they brought my car into the shop. They paid for my new motor and even for my rental car for the weeks I was without my car which is very generous and I am grateful for, however the customer service since has been terrible.

My car was taken into the shop in September and was returned in November. I was told November 7th that if I sent in a picture of a monthly statement and proof of registration they would reimburse me for the months of September and October because my car was in the shop those months. I tried calling the number of the representative I was given 2-3 times a week just to get an update with no answer once. I emailed the customer service line which took 20 days to respond saying the sources of what I turned in (the exact items they asked for) were not good enough for the reimbursement to go through.

It is now December 9th. I STILL have not heard from my representative and still have not heard if I will even be getting a reimbursement with what I sent in. It's just very frustrating. In addition when they replaced my motor they also replaced my BRAND NEW starter as well and will not reimburse me for that even though it was only a couple days old. Will never buy a Hyundai again.

Hyundai is an unethical company. I own a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. At 52,000 miles, we need a new transmission! What kind of car needs a new transmission at 52,000 miles?? The mechanic at the dealership even told us that we may have received a faulty transmission because they shouldn't need replacing at 52,000 miles. Our warranty was 2 months out of warranty so the dealership was optimistic that headquarters would still pay for the transmission and service because our car had such low miles and had so recently gone out of warranty. After the Hyundai dealership went back and forth with Hyundai headquarters, they told us they were unwilling to cover the cost of the transmission! The customer service was absolutely horrible. I have never had such a bad experience with a car company in my life. Hyundai should treat people more ethically instead of trying to squeeze me of every drop of money out of consumers they can.

The car is very durable but it makes noises on transmission changes especially when the eco boost is on. The dealership I went to was great. The salesperson was very knowledgeable on the car and the process was easy. The car was everything I was looking for with a little bit of an upgrade. Some things weren't clear like how to update the nav system. The touch screen is not very responsive depending on if you are the driver or the passenger. The eco really does save on gas but it makes the change even slower when speeding up or slowing down.

Our 2011 Hyundai Veracruz is at the dealers now. Recalled item was handled previously and failed. However, they say they only fix once - so want us to pay $900+ to have same issue handled. Valve cover gasket allows oil to leak onto alternator, which then fails. Our car is STUCK in Hendersonville because we can't pay for the repair. On our 2011 Hyundai Veracruz: If there was a recall and it had been fixed correctly, the issue should be solved. It is not and the alternator has failed again. There seems to be a manufacturer's defect and that is what should be fixed.

Very happy with my 10 year old car. Bought this Sonata brand new. 10 years later I still drive it. I have 156,000 miles on it. I change oil according to book, have replaced battery once. Bought new tires twice. Have not had any major problems. Drive great. I bought it because it had a great warranty. The only complaint I have is with Hyundai service department. They are not very good. Once I learned I could take it any mechanics as long as they use Hyundai parts. That's the way to go.

It is a comfortable vehicle to drive with all the adjustments a driver can make to be not tired out on a trip. My wife and I took a trip from Western PA to the state of Washington and neither of us had aches and pains from the trip to and from either location home. We were very surprised at mileage we got on the trip. All in all we were so pleased with the car we ended up purchasing another. It feels like a luxury vehicle at a low price.

I have a 2016 Hyundai Tucson & I love it but I have a big complaints. All Hyundai vehicle's oil changes intervals in eastern Canada are every 6000km. They classified this part of world as driving conditions severe which I disagree. I own over the years three different Hyundai's & oil change intervals is same. We use to have about same intervals in 1960 & today's synthetic oils it should be much longer. Hyundai still use conventional oil. I use synthetic on my vehicles, but they tell me you have change oil same intervals regardless what oil you use to be under warranty. I also own 2016 Toyota Tacoma and oil changes on it is every 16000km. They use synthetic oil.

Good ride, 2.0T is quick and economical. This one comes fully equipped. GPS is lousy. Seat belts are hard to buckle. Seems to be quality build. Like it but would like my AWD back. Nice vehicle. Looks good. Feels good. Needs a GPS upgrade.

The vehicle provides plenty of power & significant gas mileage & is equipped with numerous features that would have been options in other vehicles of this type. I have owned a Hyundai vehicle for the last 21 years in a row & would never consider another brand. Every vehicle I have owned in that time has provided excellent gas mileage, low maintenance costs, high end standard features & the best overall value in the industry.

My 2016 sonata is a month old. The adaptive cruise system has failed and initiated an emergency stop while driving. The driver door is misaligned and allows road noise into the cabin and water into the "sealed" part of the door. The driver's side windshield wiper is misaligned and fumbles across the windshield making all sorts of noise. When I went to Hyundai of Serramonte the service clerk directed me first to a body shop. Then to the Hyundai where I purchased the car since it was a different dealer. Then told me the problem was normal and pointed to a far off car and said something like all doors are like that. We then walked over to the other car so I could show him the weather stripping on the other car does not create a gap like is on my car. He then said I can make an appointment if I want and walked off.

Purchased Hyundai Sonata 2007 model in November of 2006. Paint started to peel in September of 2009, while car still under warranty. However, I thought I'd hit something and did not bring paint problem to customer service at dealership (Shawnee Mission Hyundai in Lenexa, Kansas, area). Nonetheless, the service department should have seen it and known it was not right. In 2010 brought paint issue to attention of dealership and manager said it was a bad paint job and asked me to wait until regional rep came in to see my car. He left or was fired. Took this up with second manager who also said the problem was a Hyundai issue and should be taken up with the regional manager. This manager left or got fired and then I took the issue up with a third Service Department Manager at Shawnee Mission Hyundai. He also said he thought the problem was a Hyundai issue.

I took pictures and met with the regional manager who insulted me saying it was "normal wear and tear". He offered a 10% discount on repair which was NOT acceptable to me. Then I took it up to corporate and after further delays we're now in the year 2013 or so. Corporate said "NOT OUR PROBLEM." So, go to the internet and google Hyundai paint jobs to see what kind of inferior painting they're doing with their autos. My car is white "pearl" and I've found numerous pictures of Sonatas with the same issue. So, here's my solution. Shawnee Mission Hyundai in the Kansas City area has lost me as a customer, including the $5,000 in repairs I'm incurred from normal wear and tear and maintenance. Also, I'm not buying their Santa Fe I was planning to buy.

Suggest you stay away from Hyundai automobiles because, based upon my experience, they won't stand behind their work. Also, bought a "Bumper to Bumper" extended warranty from Shawnee Mission Hyundai when purchased the car. Their Bumper to Bumper extended warranty did NOT cover the paint job. So NEVER BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM HYUNDAI. There is no bumper to bumper warranty - it was just sales hype by Shawnee Mission Hyundai sales staff. There it is. My report. Do with it what you will; but I am not buying another Hyundai and recommend that you don't either.

I purchased my first Hyundai two years ago! After hearing nothing but glowing reviews about the company and the cars dependability. Sadly I can't say I have seen any of that! After 12+ trips to your dealerships for service issues this purchase has left me with nothing but regret. I have taken my vehicle to two separate dealerships in Nashville in hopes of receiving better service. I have time and time again been left disappointed. The car dies while driving down the road and all anyone can tell me is that it must be bad gas or I'm letting it get too low before refilling. They have even given me lesson on how to pump gas which is an insult to my intelligence. My touch screen dash went out only to get replaced with a dash that was even more broken than the one I drove in with. I was left to drive around with a none functioning dashboard till yet another could be ordered.

Recently after taking it to an outside mechanic even more issues were brought to my attention that in all the times your dealers have had the car were never even mentioned to me! The recall work on my rear brakes (which I was never even informed had been recalled!) wasn't holding up my rear brakes were still malfunctioning and causing wear to my front brakes. In addition to the fact that my car's rotational tires were on backwards! It saddens me to think a company so well noted for its customer service in the twelve times it had my car never took the time to even look at my car long enough to notice such simple things as tires and brakes! This level of neglect has made me feel unsafe to drive a car from a company who can take my safety and the safety of others on the road so carelessly for granted.

I initially purchased the car for 16,995 before taxes and now less than two years later they are telling me the value of my car is a mere 8,995. Seeing as how no one has stepped up and taken accountability for these issues it seems my only choice is to go online and post reviews. I just don't understand how this level of service has become acceptable? What happened to your morals and value?

I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata last year in April 2015. I bought it used with about 89k miles on it. Up until Sep. 25th 2016, the car has been working perfectly. But about a week before that date, I noticed how badly the car was burning up oil. I was putting a quart in it every week because it would read low. On the 24th, I was driving with my 1 year old in the car and all the sudden the car started making a clanking noise. Thank God I made it home that night because I wasn't sure if I would without the car breaking down. When I got home, I turned the car off and turned it back on and it just sounded terrible. Sounded as if the whole engine was falling apart. The next day, I knew I wasn't going to be able to drive it.

I called Columbia Hyundai in Cincinnati and I took it there to the shop on the 28th. They discovered that my car was part of the motor recall for that model car and that my car needed a new engine. It is now Nov. 9th 2016 and my car still has not been fixed. It's been in the shop for 6 weeks now. They still have a car in their shop from July that hasn't gotten a motor. I just got off the phone with them and they said it will maybe be the 1st week of December when they start getting motors. Shouldn't they have started mass producing these motors knowing there was a recall on the engine for thousands of cars? Makes no sense to me. Thankfully, Hyundai is 100% paying for the new motor and the rental car I am using. However, I am still making a payment every month on a car I do not have and I have asked Hyundai to reimburse me for this and they refuse to do so. Not very satisfied with Hyundai right now.

I bought a Hyundai Accent 2016 as a compact car for the city in late April 2016. The test drive was short; I did not notice any issue then. After a few weeks driving small distances every other day, I noticed that my back was getting stiff, my neck also, and I developed acute pain in the sciatic nerve. Every bump on the road made it less and less bearable. Early July, I had to drive the car on much longer distances through the city... By the third day I was crippled in bed with excruciating pain.

As I was contemplating the ceiling wondering how I was going to take my dog out and feed the kids, I realized that the last time this had happened, 25 years ago, I had bought a Hyundai Excel and I had not linked the pain to the car! Instead I spent thousands of dollars at a chiropractor and on pain killers; saddened that I had a bad back at such a young age. I had no idea a seat could be so badly built; also the suspension could be so weak and of bad quality, that it could injure our backs. In between I bought a Volvo to raise a family; then a Lexus; and I had no problem even during pregnancy or after moving stuff from house to house.

This time, I went online and yes, many others also experience back pain in a Hyundai. Doing yoga, bicycling and being fit, my age is not related to the problem, I told the dealer when I brought the car back. He offered 14 000 dollars in July to take my 20 000 dollars Hyundai back. He tried to sell to me a Sonata or an Elantra 2017 for an extra four thousand dollars. I refused. I simply cannot afford such a loss. Online I had found that many others also report acute back problems with these Sonata and Elantra. I contacted Hyundai Canada and they told me to try another dealership, that there was nothing they could do.

I researched and ordered two orthopedic cushions and back support to help. I still have a sensitive back. It is manageable, as long as I do not do long drives. Otherwise I feel stiff and need special care and rest when I get out of the car. My yoga practice has suffered from this and I no longer contemplate becoming a yoga instructor. So please DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SUCH DAMAGE TO YOUR BACK. I will sell this car as soon as possible and will never own a Hyundai again. The second time was one too many. Now I know.

I purchased a new sonata about 4 months ago. Love the car except when I push the gas the car hesitates then jumps forward. This is very concerning and dangerous when sitting in traffic or trying to merge. Guess I should have checked the reviews but we had had 2 other Hyundai cars without this problem.

This morning I found my front passenger tire completely deflated in the parking lot of my apartment complex, right as I was trying to get to work. I reached out to Hyundai's roadside assistance hotline and I spoke with Bridget, who was so patient with me and very helpful. She was very detailed with me and was able to get assistance to me in under an hour. They also sent a link to my cellphone so that I could track en route where the tow truck was and how soon they would be there. Josh, my roadside assistance mechanic, was early and could not have been nicer. He was finished with my tire replacement in ten minutes or less and answered all of my questions. He also made sure I had an appointment right away to get my tire fixed/replaced. My service today was excellent and I highly recommend Hyundai's 24/7 assistance program. They really made me feel like a valued customer.

My wife and I finance a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. We have three small children and this is our only means of transportation someday a because my car is a junk box and doesn't work all the time. Being that this is our only car my wife is very very much on top of it, she takes it for oil changes when and even before it is due. We had gotten a recall in regards to the steering column and decided that the dealer we normally use (formally Brad Benson Hyundai, now DCN) is inconvenient being that it's so far away and thought we would get the same workmanship that we have received in the past if we brought it to a closer location. We were so wrong.

First, after the first recall they did not have a loaner car, so we relied on friends and family for a day or so. After picking up the car from freehold Hyundai, we noticed the steering was looser than usual and it had a knocking noise when the wheel was being turned. We called back FREEHOLD Hyundai and they said there was nothing wrong, so in that same day we continued driving. For about the three hours we had the car the engine was giving out on us... Again something unusual that was not there before we brought it in. So I said "forget this. I'm bringing it back to where it just came from." We went to FREEHOLD Hyundai and told them we can't drive the car like this... The servicemen named Issac was a bit understanding but not very because he kept telling us the steering was absolutely fine. They hold the car and the next day or so they called us and told us that our engine had "caught fire"... So here's what it is.

I gave them a perfectly working car, and bring it to this chop shop and I get it back and my steering is all screwed up and then my engine just catches fire?? I'm sorry but I call **. They have terrible mechanics at this shop and I believe, I firmly believe that they screwed something up as far as the engine is concerned and used the cover up that the engine caught fire because they knew there was a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for having engines going on fire after a certain amount of time. We were told at first that our engine wasn't going to be fixed for a few months because they were on back order because so many car engines were catching fire. So they did the right thing and issued my wife and I a loaner car for the time being.

A month had gone by and we gotten news that my 8 year old son would need open heart surgery. Then someone posted a negative review about them not having a loaner car and we magically get a call the next day or so that our engine had been replaced and that "we have something of theirs, and they have something of ours" and we NEEDED to go and get our car. That's not all. After giving this dealership a chance to redeem itself by trying to contact the man in charge of vehicle service, they wanted us to pay 1000 dollars to get everything fixed. Oh I forgot to mention that the power lock button was broken off and my cruise control stopped working all by itself!!! Isn't that magical??? We brought it to our own mechanic and he said that it's a bushing on the steering column and is about 500 dollars to replace to the labor it requires.

We have been back and forth with Hyundai the corporation for an entire week, with no resolution... Absolutely no idea from anyone to get the work done to get my wife and I our car back. So our car went in for a recall repair in July/August and it is now Oct going into November and I still don't have a car or any way to fix this. The corporation isn't working with me and the dealer is refusing to acknowledge any wrongdoing on their part. So here we stand, a minor recall turns into a disaster. We have tree kids one of whom was in the hospital in Queens NY and we live in NJ and no car!!! And no help...

So here's what you're gonna do... You're gonna go search cars companies that have exquisite customer satisfaction... And stay as far away from this ** of a company as you can. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT buy a car from this company and especially stay as far away from FREEHOLD NJ Hyundai dealership. It's terrible and they have terrible and inferior people working there.

I bought a 2016 Elantra GT right off the lot. I was so proud. My first brand new car. It did great until it reached about 12,000 miles. Then it decided to quit starting. I had it towed to the dealership. The service department was helpful... at first. They did change something with the start button and I picked the car back up. One day later, same thing. Couldn't get it out of my driveway. This started happening June 13, 2016. Since then my car has been in the shop non-stop, except for the 4 times I picked it up and became stranded at various places because it wouldn't start. I went through the BBB as required by Hyundai. The BBB determined that the car needed to be repurchased or traded for the same model. Hyundai offered to repurchase the car in August. I completed all the paperwork requested... every... single... time. The repurchase was supposed to be completed today October 21, 2016.

I have called and called every number for Hyundai--no one can help me. My case manager, Kris **, is always out of the office and has called me once. No e-mail, nothing. I have had to rent a car out of pocket for the last 3 weeks, maxing credit cards and cancelling trips with my family. I have never felt so devalued in my life. I don't think Hyundai understands that even though my payment was small to them, not having a reliable car has caused a huge amount of stress for me and so much hardship on my family. As a single mom of two great boys, we have had to cancel trips and reroute funds for the rental car. I am a teacher and have to get to work. Communication would have made a terrible situation much more bearable. Worst service ever... I will never recommend buying a Hyundai to anyone. Please don't. They do not stand behind their word.

When shopping around I was looking for a convenience features. Sonata Hybrid 2016 was slightly better than other midsize hybrid alternatives. Looked at all these reviews on Edmunds and similar websites. From their perspective it looks good. After one month of driving (and pretty good experience) main battery broke. Brought it to a dealership. It took already 2 days just to localize the problem. Accordingly to them it will take another 1-2 days to get an answer from Hyundai what needs to be done. This is a car on a warranty. What happens when it's out. I feel I'm screwed. This is a new car. Just started to pay for it.

I purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT new, and have driven it for four years, putting about 70K miles on it. Based on my multiple bad experiences with this car, I will never again purchase another Hyundai vehicle. First - as is well known, the true MPG is nowhere near the marketing claims made by Hyundai (and there is an unresolved class action lawsuit underway to address that). Then I had a problem where the rear quarter-panel window trim fell off - fortunately I found a TSB published on the internet about that, so Hyundai fixed it under warranty. If I hadn't researched the problem and printed out the TSB, the dealer would have charged me $$$ for the repair.

Then most recently I had a problem where the clutch started chattering/slipping. My mechanic discovered that the transmission input shaft seal was defective/leaking. Even though this is covered by the Hyundai 10 year/100K warranty - Hyundai refused to honor the warranty and pay for the repair. I can't wait to trade in this car, and kiss Hyundai goodbye forever. If you are considering buying a Hyundai vehicle, I would recommend purchasing instead a vehicle with higher quality/reliability and from a manufacturer who stands behind their product and their warranty commitments (think Honda, Toyota, Mazda). And definitely don't count on the Hyundai 10 year/100K warranty actually providing you any protection from product defects.

I purchased a used Santa Fe in 2014, it was a 2013 with 18,400 miles. It ran fine for me until June of this year. The headlights go off and stay off until I have it serviced. The back windshield wiper doesn't work now either. I took car into local Hyundai dealer. They have tried everything from changing fuse to changing computer box to saying that batch of boxes was defected, they tried it again. This the fifth time in the shop, this time it's been 3 weeks with no word from Hyundai despite at least 15 calls from me. They just tell me the techs are looking at it via "skyping" telling mechanics what to try next. I do not want this car back. It has been in the shop a total of 7 weeks since June. This SUV is still under the original warranty.

The last time the lights went out it was 1 am on a very dark road in an area I don't know well. I was actually crying I was so scared of hitting someone. I put my flashers on the rest of the way home and drove very slow. It did help. I know it was dangerous to do, but believe me, if I thought I would have put anyone's life in danger I wouldn't have done it. Consumer Affairs is now involved, but no solution. A letter to the State Attorney General is next. My house burned down in a fire on August 5, I lost everything. Now, I have no house and no car through no fault of my own. My house will be rebuilt eventually, right now I feel empty.

I have just learned do to mine failing that Hyundai has an issue with the Electric Assist Power Steering Drive Motor and Drive Coupling degrading. This Problem afflicts a large number of Models and Years Of age. I Have an 2012 Sonata Limited 2.0 which is the wife's car with 70k on it. It has been pretty much trouble free except for the High Pressure Fuel Pump that failed this Year which was under warranty.

The Drive Coupling being an essential aid in steering when it starts to degrade to have a slight bump like that can be felt when turning the steering wheel with a slight left to right turn. You can also have a loud knocking noise that sound like something has came loose under your vehicle when driving over rough road areas. The noises are all coming from the electric drive assist on the steering column under the Dash. From others who have had this issue it can cost you up to $500 to repair or you can fix it yourself with a few hours labor and the Part cost of under $10. Nonetheless it is a mass issue that Hyundai should cover fix No matter the Age or Mileage.

Hyundai's look great. But they are like a beautiful apple that is rotten inside. This is concerning a 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE Turbo. I have owned Hondas all my life, and have been extremely happy with their reliability. I had a Honda Civic that I sold at 115000 miles and the only maintenance I had to do was change the oil, muffler, and brakes. I then had an Acura RSX which I traded in with 92000 miles where I only had to change the oil and brakes. My next vehicle was a Honda Accord which I sold with 184000 miles on it. Again, the only maintenance I had to do was oil and brakes.

I was going to purchase another Honda, but I fell in love with the styling and the horsepower of the Hyundai Sonata Turbo. I had reservations about purchasing a Hyundai because I remembered the poor quality of Hyundai vehicles throughout the 90s. I decided to take a leap of faith and buy a certified pre-owned which came with the 60k bumper to bumper and 100k powertrain warranty. I figured if Hyundai offered this type of warranty, they must build quality vehicles. My vehicle had 41k miles on it when I purchased it. I have had the car 2 years now and have had nothing but problems with it. The Carfax report showed this vehicle had the Lower control arms replaced (before I purchased it). Since I have purchased it I have had the following problems.

46771 miles - Transmission Sensor failure caused the transmission to jump between 2nd and 4th gear and also cause the engine to shift very hard with a big thud. 48619 miles - The Engine failed and the motor long block was replaced. 48886 miles - Coolant was leaking. Replaced hose clamp. 49216 miles - Check engine light came on. Code p0076. Pin 1 was not connecting to solenoid so this was corrected.

Somewhere around this time, I called Hyundai to complain about the poor quality of this vehicle. I was assigned to a specialist who was going to help assess why my vehicle was constantly in the repair shop. I do not recall his name. He called me to tell me he had spoken with the service Manager at AutoFair Hyundai in Manchester, NH where I purchased the vehicle. The specialist was unapologetic about my problems and treated me like I was wasting his time. In fact he ranks as possible the worst company representative I have dealt with in my lifetime. He said everything checked out and they did their due diligence with the vehicle.

I informed the gentleman that I wanted a new vehicle. He scoffed at the notion. He stated that I had a warranty to cover anything wrong with the car. This was not satisfactory to me because my time was valuable and if the vehicle was malfunctioning at 46k miles, what would happen as the parts aged? The vehicle I purchased was clearly not manufactured properly. He basically told me again that the warranty was in place and that is all I would get. I informed the specialist that I am a recruiter who speaks with over 100 people per week and I would make sure to tell everyone about the poor quality and poor customer service that Hyundai provided. He said, that's fine and the call ended. Clearly this gentleman did not care about me or my situation and didn't care that Hyundai made a very poor quality vehicle.

Continuing on with the repairs made to this vehicle. 51670 miles - Rattling when traveling in the city. Stabilizer end link replaced. 58285 creaking when turning. Axle joints replaced. This was all performed under warranty. It didn't cost me anything monetarily, but it did cost me a lot of time taking the car to the dealer and having to get rides to and from the dealership. Sometimes I waited for the vehicle if it was only going to be a couple hours.

Since the warranty expired, I have had to replace the sway bar links at 74000 miles due to rattling when driving over bumps. The creaking that was supposed to be fixed by the replacement of the axle joints has gotten worse. I believe the strut mounts are the culprit. In addition, when I start the vehicle in the morning, the engine is having a bit of trouble turning over and is shaking for the first 10 seconds or so. Also, when I start the engine, there is a rush of liquid in the dashboard. I would venture to guess this is due to a failing heater core. Another issue is the transmission is downshifting into 4th gear very hard. The vehicle now has 80500 miles. It is acting like a vehicle with 180500 miles.

More repairs at 80500 miles. Housing around the thermostat was replaced due to leaking coolant. Tube leading to oil filter was cracked and leaking oil. Engine head warped. Hyundai doesn't care about its customers. The warranty is bogus. The technicians diagnosing the issues at the dealerships have very little knowledge of the vehicles and take forever to diagnose issues - at the cost of $125 per hour. Beautiful design, very poor quality.

Hyundai Company Profile