2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5
Based on 1,359 ratings submitted in the last year

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Hyundai Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: March 1, 2021

Bought a new 2021 Palisade to replace a 2020 Kia Soul that was a lemon, 3 transmissions after 12,000 miles. Palisade lasted 2 days, 180 miles before fuel system failed. Dealership can't get any parts from Hyundai. Hyundai is supposed to be buying the car back from us. The problem is, it is next to impossible to get any communication from Hyundai. I sent all the required documents on 2/18/2021. Was supposed to send offer immediately. Now March 1st and have heard absolutely nothing. I call and email everyday, just to see if they even received the paperwork I sent over. No one has any answers and the person handling my case never responds. Dealing with Kia was a much easier process with great communication. Yes their transmission was trash but customer service was exceptional.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Hyundai has been the worst over the phone customer service. I've been with this company since 2011 and can tell you the services have declined dramatically. Whomever makes the terms and conditions for this company has failed. Please don't purchase for Hyundai to assist with getting them out of business.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

My experience with Hyundai is once again worst than the last. It is my 3rd disappointment with them and last, I just came out of a 3 year lease and decided I wanted to buy the car and instead of showing me my options through Hyundai Finance which I was leasing with they convinced me with lies about how being I didn't use the car much, I would have to pay more and convinced me to go with Chase auto loan, after a few days I called Hyundai Finance and the person on the phone told me, I should have bought through them which would have been close to 8k less, through Hyundai finance it would have ranged around 9k plus maybe 3k in taxes and instead now I will end up paying close to 18k.

It is my 3rd and final deal with them, no one there is honest and they are out just to rob you, I should have gone with my gut and listened to my cousin and end my lease and bought through Carvana, I wish I knew the info I got from the person on the phone earlier but I thought I was dealing with honest people, anyways God bless them and everyone reading this and make sure you always ask all the right questions and if you have to take time or reschedule to review things before you commit to it or sign documents, do so, so you don't get trapped and tricked like I did.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I leased a 2017 Hyundai Azera, and because I liked the car so much I purchased it in 2020 at the end of the lease with only 19,200 miles on it. On 9/9/20, my car would not start. I brought it to the dealership and was told the battery was fine. A week later, my car would not start and I brought it back to service. A week later and for the third week in a row, my car would not start. The car was in service for five days. 2.5 weeks later, my car would not start. It was in service for four weeks. Two days after picking the car up from service, the car would not start. It went back to service for the fifth time in four months, and was there for 45 days. Five days after picking the car up from service, the car would not start. It is now back in service for the SIXTH TIME in five months.

It has been in service for almost 90 days and counting since September, with no answers in sight. I am working with Hyundai Consumer Affairs, but am not getting any answers or help - all while still paying for the car that has not even been in my possession for three months. When I have had it, I had to jump start it 100% of the time I needed to go somewhere.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I purchased a 2016 Hyundai Tucson in 2018. I was under the impression had a 100000 mile warranty! In June 2020 I had to take car to have 3 door latches replaced because doors would not open! On November 17, 2020 my daughter was driving my vehicle and was at my brother's house and when she was backing out car stalled. She tried to crank it but had to have help pushing back in my brother's driveway. Had the vehicle towed to my house. My uncle who is a mechanic came to my house the next day and when my husband cranked the vehicle he said the motor was gone!

On November 21, 2020 I had vehicle towed to dealership because Hyundai has had issues with their motors and I wasn’t sure if that was what was wrong with mine. They did find that it was bearing rod! I’ve read numerous reviews where Hyundai has had issues with the bearing rod!! Hyundai warranty said I only had a 5 yr 60000 mile warranty because I was the second owner. I did not know I only had a 60000 mile warranty! Hyundai dealership wanted to charge 12000.00 to replace the motor! They tried to screw me over there and of course Hyundai warranty is not going to replace it on a vehicle that is only worth 12000.00 to 16000.00. This has been the worst vehicle I have ever purchased!! My mistake for being unaware of all the issues with Hyundai or I wouldn’t have purchased it then. I would never ever recommend Hyundai to anyone! Worst vehicle ever!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

They claim the car would tow 5000 LBS. It doesn't. Engine struggles, then smells and starts to overheat. I had to trade it in for a truck and lost $6000. Hyundai does not care about you, customer services or the problems you have.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

My engine gave out 12/15, it's now 1/27 and it's been at the dealership for over a month now. A week after the New Year, and after various calls and check ups, I finally got an answer that my warranty would be extended on the engine. The communication has not been the best at all. They offered me a rental but only in the city that the incident happened in which is 6 hours away from home. In addition, I exhausted over $1,000 on hotel/car repairs after the incident took place. I did my due diligence to submit all the info needed for my reimbursement as soon as I found out the engine was a Hyundai issue. I submitted at least 15 documents pertaining to my proof of ownership and explained that I was stranded in an unfamiliar town for two days due to my engine failing.

I've been more than patient and am still without my vehicle, which is somewhat understanding because repairs and ordering parts take time...the funds that I lost however should not take this long to recover. Since then I've called in several times to get an update and was assigned a case manager Christina who I missed the call from and when I contacted her back two days later I haven't received a response back in a week now. I've left emails and voicemails each day, and once again contacted customer care to escalate the issue. The agents I've spoken to were thorough and seemed to care but are powerless in rectifying issue. I work 10 hours a day and when someone has an issue, I look to rectify that problem within 24hrs. We may enter another season by the time I get my money back. Once I pay this vehicle off in full, I will not be doing business with Hyundai again, and I don't recommend anyone else to. Your time and money are not valued enough.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I purchase a 2020 Hyundai Kona, in Aug 2020, and the exterior black trim around the doors, windows and rear liftgate have faded! I took it to the dealership and was accused of waxing them, thus making them fade? Does that make sense? I called the Hyundai customer care department and opened a case only to be told you waxed it and they will not do anything about it! I didn't wax them, but now I have to live with it. BEWARE OF HYUNDAI PRODUCTS! I have the 2020 Kona Ultimate with faded black trim! The family that they claim you belong once you purchase a Hyundai doesn't exist!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I purchased a 2020 Sonata Ltd 1.6 Turbo in March 2020. Since day one the engine has had a burning smell and I’m wondering how many other Sonata owners are dealing with this. I’ve taken the car in 5 times. They’ve done pressure checks for leaks, reached out to other Hyundai service centers and gone over the car with a fine tooth comb without finding the problem. I reached out to Hyundai Consumer Affairs who basically told me to live with it. So I’m asking, if there are any other 2020 Sonata owners with this problem, don’t let the service center tell you the smell will go away because it won’t. Call their Consumer Affairs at 1-800-633-5151 and lodge a complaint.

I paid almost $40k for a car that I can’t even park in my garage because the smell is so bad and Hyundai won't address my problem. Also, if you’re thinking of buying a Sonata be sure to turn it on, raise the hood and put your nose down near the radiator. If you smell that burning coolant, WALK AWAY!! So so disappointed in Hyundai.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I have been a Hyundai customer for many years. Fortunately, I have only had to call for roadside assistance a couple of times. They were courteous and prompt. Even when I had some personal technical difficulties, they were patient and understanding. They did follow up calls to make sure that the service was satisfactory and complete. Very organized and very professional.

Hyundai Company Information