2.58/5
Based on 128 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

1381 Hyundai Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I am extremely disappointed by the way Hyundai USA decided to handle my handsfree case. This issue was present since day 1 of us purchasing the vehicle in 2017. I spent a lot of my time at home and away from work troubleshooting and sending several audio recordings to the company and have been able to reproduce the issue with every single phone call, however the dealership kept the vehicle for several hours and returned it back stating "we don't see a problem". I purchased a new phone, and switched 3 different carries, however the problem never went away.

I am extremely saddened by Hyundai's lack of ownership of the issue. The least Hyundai could do is try to replace the radio or the microphone to eliminate the issue, instead Hyundai decided to close the case. However, after this experience, I will be taking my business to a company that stands behind their customers. It is such a shame for the entire Hyundai team that they won't stand behind the customer and fix something that is still under warranty.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Problem after problem. First I replaced starter, ok nothing major then engine replaced metal in motor then upper and lower hoses. Now a month later valve body assembly which cost 3000 to repair and did I mention still have car note 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I was loving the car until all of this.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

This is our 4th Hyundai, second Tucson. You have lost a customer. This 2017 limited Tucson turbo is terrible... the transmission is awful... hesitation, jerking. I have had it to the dealer several times to be told “nothing is wrong”. They tell me they are aware of the problem but until Hyundai does something to fix the issue their hands are tied. I’m sure there will eventually be a huge lawsuit and then... Hyundai will say bye-bye! So sad!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I drove many cars in my life, I never, never experienced what I am experiencing with a piece of junk like the 2017 Tucson. Hesitation, jerking, loss of power. Miraculously few times I avoided to get into a very big accident also very uncomfortable. Driver seat, complain to Consumer Affairs get nowhere! A bunch of liars! They tell you to go to the dealers and the dealers tells you to call Hyundai... I really hope this company, take their ** back to SK.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Have had enormous trouble with the 2018 Tucson SEL Plus that I leased recently. The transmission can't seem to pick a gear, and the car constantly freezes/stalls when between gears, which is pretty much all the time. My concentration has to 100% focus or I'm getting in a wreck. The car isn't really drivable. Took the car to a dealership - they told me "that's just how the car drives." Took it up to Customer Service via the manufacturer; they declined to assist in any way without so much as having anyone look at the car. Basically, the response I've gotten from the manufacturer is, "Oh well, you're stuck with your lemon." No efforts made to assist; they can't even manage to get me into a dealership for service without a lag time.

Leasing this car is one of the worst mistakes I've ever made, and I've driven other Tucsons before this. Hyundai does not have any interest whatsoever in standing behind their product, or customer satisfaction in any way; never, ever get a Hyundai, because if anything at all is wrong with it, you're basically on your own. The entire experience has been a nightmare, and continues to be.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Whatever you do when you buy a Hyundai, carry Emergency Roadside with your insurance company. DO NOT RELY ON THIS PIECE OF CRAP SERVICE! Especially when it comes to your safety! Locked keys in car, as well as money, credit cards, and of course, cell phone. Only had new Accent about 4 months, decided she has it out for me. I've never had such bad luck with any of the possibly 20 cars I've owned. I'm not here to write all my complaints about this gas guzzling, gutless, cheap 'economy' car. But the 800 # on the window? Scrap it off and toss it. Won't do any good, unless you have your phone, flashlight, eyeglasses, and nothing better to do than stand in the rain, at night, in a sketchy hood in the dark fighting off bums for almost three hours.

I don't care what you've heard about Hawaii and Aloha spirit! Most Local People HATE ** people and do not like to be bothered by us in time of need, no way no how. I've lived here many years and can tell you Aloha is a farse, like, an honest politician. Kid at gas station did NOT appreciate my asking to use the business phone for an emergency, then called number on car door, was still daylight so could read vin #. Took forever to answer all the questions, then the customer service guy said he needed callback #. Told him I didn't have one available, the business phone was not happening, and my phone is locked in car.

I was very descriptive of my location, no callback # available but was assured, within an hour??? I would be assisted but need to stay by car. So hour and a half go by, no one. I reluctantly asked kid to use phone again, called 800 # again, they had no record of my first call, so again they want my vin #, dark now can't see it, my name, phone #, email address couldn't find my ownership anywhere, they need a call back #, I'm pissed at this point. They would not be able to promise help without callback #. So tried to break out back window, kid from gas station finally feeling sorry for poor 60 yr old woman in the rain and the dark, assisted me with calling a nearby locksmith. Almost 3 hrs later and $250 cash!!!

Not even gonna bother with asking for any refund, ya already know there's fine print somewhere excluding the hardship I went through. So, because the car is crap, roadside service is crap, warranty will be crap when I tell em to shove the $60, less than 1000 mile, every three month oil change, without even so much as a vacuum job. Wait 'til they see the back window I tried to bang out with a rock! Screw it. Crappy car. Crappy service.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have been working with Hyundai on my Trip Reimbursement Case #**, and I have been appalled by how poorly the customer service is. This happened in Jan, I submitted, it was LOST internally by Hyundai, so I resubmitted in May, and I am now sitting August 2nd and still have not heard anything about it. Hyundai is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and they cannot reimburse me for the ~$750 worth of incurred expenses from a warranty claim they did for a $35,000 car? This is insane, I will never buy from Hyundai again, and I cannot believe they are still a company with this sub-par customer service. So even though I have called dozens of times, and sent countless emails, I assume Hyundai is going to give me the same response as before, NO RESPONSE. Do not shop with Hyundai unless you want to be thoroughly disappointed.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Paid a lot of $$$$ for this car, $50000. I've been driving a Hyundai Sonata 2011 Turbo, has 125000 on it, great car. Looking to buy another Sonata but 2018 models aren't as fast as my 2011. Went for a drive, not even close, what happen? The Genesis was in showroom floor. Took for a drive, Wow, the car floats on the pavement. 3 driving modes, sound system you better wear earplugs. Comfort, outrageous. Noise from outside what noise. Looks beautiful. If you never seen the Genesis Emblem you would not know what kind of car this is. Kudos to Hyundai. Awesome car.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Bought a 2013 Tucson, 31000 miles 10/30/17. Purchased bumper to bumper warranty. Engine threw a rod 06/__/18. Warranty is voided due to failure to prove oil changes. After doing research I found out the engine has been recalled but only certain Hyundai and Kia models. Although engine Theta ii is same and has many complaints, the Tucson hasn't been recalled, but needs to be.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I was driving to work when my 2014 Elantra with 72,000 miles made a knocking sound and stalled in middle of the road. I had to have it towed to a local station whom assessed and informed me the engine failed and based on how "clean" the engine appeared he couldn't imagine what happened to this engine. I then had car towed to Hyundai due to I have a contract for 100,000 miles on engine. After they evaluated the vehicle, they DENIED me and refused to cover the engine repair under their PROMOTED, ADVERTISED AND PROMISED 100,000 mile warranty. So after 4 years of paying on this car, I am STILL making monthly payments for this car. Hyundai refused to stand by their commitment to repair the engine!!!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Worse company ever! Basically every time I call looking for my title they claim a piece of paper is lost etc. They have everything they asked for including my buyout check, but every time I call I get nowhere and a huge runaround. Now they say they need a bill of sales. I'm buying the car from them but they want a bill of sale from me. I don't get it. Anyone else have this problem?

Original review: July 19, 2018

HMA has tried to get a deposition fee of $450 from me the last 8 months without my knowledge. They have been quietly killing my credit with delinquency filings through my credit agency. No letters were sent. Yes, I know about the deposition fee, but it is waived if a customer buys a new lease. I bought two new leases! My local dealer explained it all to me. NO fee if you re lease a new car. I got two...

Didn't matter to HMA. I fought with customer service and their response was that the new cars I received were purchased 4 months before the lease expired. Apparently in the small print, you only have a 60 day window before the lease ends to get that deposition fee waived. Ridiculous! This is not the way to treat a long time customer. I called my local dealer and they have been way more willing to help me with this, as it was their sales staff that that relayed all this information. Hopefully, with the help of my local dealer HMA will fix this issue and will also fix the damage done to my credit. Their customer service reps were very unhelpful and rude.

After I had purchased these new leases, a problem arose where my VIN # had been mixed up with someone else at purchase. One day I walked into my garage where my Sonata was automatically started by their Bluelink system, garage door closed, garage full of fumes, almost killing my dog who was in there. HMA could not have cared any less of what had happened as I explained the situation. They blamed the local dealer, offered me a few Hyundai points (incredibly insulting), and went on their way. They actually stopped talking to me as I expressed that their "points offering" was insulting. I wanted to make sure this doesn't happen again to someone else, yet they would not return my calls. These experiences with HMA would actually be funny if it wasn't so sad and scary. Please stay far away from this company! Terrible and unethical business practices.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We have 105633 miles on the 2006 Hyundai Tucson that failed (engine overheated) in the middle of highway when my family with two small children were traveling. No warning and it was an abrupt stop. Called 911 and emergency responders pushed the car to the side. We towed to a dealer who said head gasket is blown and only fix is to replace engine. To further diagnose, the dealer needs approval from Hyundai but, Hyundai says, they will not do further diagnosis because their warranty covers only up-to 5 year and the vehicle can fail after 5 years. They insist there has not been any manufacturer recalls but, I asked them how do they know if there is no recalls if they don't diagnose? Their response was even worse than the ordeal we have gone through. We were almost killed driving this vehicle. Never buy a Hyundai that can only last for 5 years and get killed.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Yesterday I put my car for service. In my car there is little bit problems like my boot is not open quite often, my GPS is freezing etc. I ask that guy to check. He told me Hyundai didn't give him money to check what is the problem. If it is not working then they will fix. I told him I bought a headache with my money. I am not happy with their attitude and expression. I will never recommend anybody to buy Hyundai. I will sell my car as well.

Original review: July 10, 2018

2013 Hyundai Tucson Engine Failure @ 125,000 miles - Lower end rod bearing failure with no warning, no check engine light and all service has been done as required. I'm getting a new engine for $7000 plus, I can't buy a new car for that price, includes labor which is nearly 1/3 of the cost. I'm questioning any further purchases of a Hyundai product. This has happened in several other Hyundai vehicles but no class action as yet.

Original review: July 9, 2018

2014 Hyundai Tucson - We purchased this vehicle November 2017. Less than 8 months later, on July 8th, 2018, our vehicle's engine caught on fire while driving on the interstate. There was NO warning sign prior to this. maintenance was kept up with as scheduled. Hyundai Tuscons are DANGEROUS. Please do not purchase a Hyundai vehicle. They are not recalling vehicles as they should be, and someone is going to end up dying over their engine problems.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Their website has an online test drive schedule system and when you get to the dealership the best answer they can give is "we just sold the car", What's the point of having an schedule ahead system if they can't even make sure there is a unit available for the customer to test drive... Well sir we are in the "car selling business" a mediocre manager replied. So, because you are in the "toilet sales business" you will just sell me the toilet you have in your office, right? This brand is a joke.

Original review: June 28, 2018

The Hyundai Entourage minivan has been a good, reliable vehicle. We have had only a couple of very minor repairs done to it in the 10 years that we have owned it. The Entourage has a very good amount of power. It is never sluggish off the starting line. It is also an attractive looking vehicle. The thing that I liked most about this van over the other we considered purchasing is the price. It was the most affordable of all that we considered purchasing. My least favorite feature on this van is the radio. Sometimes the volume control doesn't work. If I tap the dash, I can usually get it to adjust the volume. I am only sorry that Hyundai not longer makes the Entourage as I would definitely purchase another one.

Original review: June 28, 2018

It is a very reliable car. The seats are very cozy and the air conditioning works very well. But I would change the default radio it has. The radio has no bluetooth or touchscreen, it would be ideal if it had more functions like front and back camera or a GPS system and a android operating system. But other than that, the car has not had any problems and is very economic in gasoline plus it is very responsive and smooth to drive in.

Original review: June 27, 2018

The 2017 Hyundai Tucson drives nice, is roomy, and is much better gas mileage than our previous minivan. However, I really miss sliding doors, which we were used to on our other vehicles. I wish the Tucson had a power trunk and I'm not happy with the radio as it doesn't show song titles like our previous model did. Nevertheless, it was our first time leasing so it made the vehicle quite affordable. The Tucson had a better price point than comparable models. It is also physically very attractive and is a beautiful color turquoise. It has a very modern looking interior and exterior as well.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Hyundai Accent GLS is reliable and gets good gas mileage. Accelerates quickly and smoothly. Came with a 100k mile warranty. Smooth driving experience and right turning radius. Easy to maneuver. I like that it has bluetooth, CD player, ac, spacious for a car its size, power locks and windows and comfortable seating. But the bumper is very low and catches on parking spot barriers easily. Power lock should be on trunk too. Heated seats would be nice, as the Elantra has them.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Hyundai is comfortable, gives a smooth ride and handles well. It has low maintenance obligations though it has high mileage. Seats are high to support knee issues. Love the heated seats and back seat temperature control. The 3rd row seating is handy for road trips with the grand kids. The sun roof was also a must for me and the grands! I got the most amenities without an exorbitant additional cost. However, it doesn't have Bluetooth or a back up camera. I also would like a steering wheel that heated up and that the 3rd row seats are raised up higher off the floor. They're so low that they're only appropriate for small children. Nevertheless, it's the best vehicle I've ever owned!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I purchased this car used. The price was a very good deal for me since at the time I had no car and very little money to work with. My car is a 2002 model with 258000 miles and still drives well, easy to maintain and has been very dependable. I am so sure of this car continuing to run well. I love the color which is a silver grey. I like that my car has 4 doors which makes it very easy if there are more than two people going somewhere together. I am investing in a new set of tires for it in the next few weeks. I have not had any serious problems that have cost me a large sum of money, only the ordinary expenses that goes with car ownership. I wish I could change how many miles is on it but I can't do that.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I leased a 2017 Hyundai Elantra and was very unhappy with the auto. I contacted the dealer who said they would sell me a 2017 Hyundai Tucson and purchase the Elantra from me, I paid them $4350.00 which took care of early lease return fees, taxes and everything else. This was a purchase and sale. I have all the papers to prove this and tried to explain to them, Hyundai leasing, that I do not owe them anything and, if any monies have to be paid it would be by the Dealer, not me. Now they have reported me delinquent to the credit bureaus and as a result my credit scores have been reduced and as a result this has cost me higher interest fees, etc. I have disputed this with Equifax, Transunion and Experian but not successful. What can I do to rectify this???

Original review: June 25, 2018

Hyundai makes great cars. The reviews on the Hyundai cars were all good and better than most models this size. I own a Hyundai Sonata 2010 and a 2016 model. I owned a 2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, this was the best car I`ve ever owned.

Original review: June 24, 2018

After purchasing my AWD Hyundai Tucson in October 2016, I have been notified that this specific model had a dual clutch transmission defect that results in delayed acceleration from stop. The recall did not solve the problem and all my complains regarding the transmission was denied by Hyundai dealers. Since that date any time I go to the dealer complaint about loud transmission vibration and sound and delay on acceleration etc. they simply reply "sorry this is due to the discontinued DCT defect that is well known for this model" as if I have to accept it and live with it. The real problem that I have discovered that Hyundai has known about this defect prior selling the car to me and still they sold it and I simply have to live with the defective transmission that will definitely crash in the very near future!!!

Original review: June 24, 2018

Hyundai wasn't my first choice of cars but I only bought it because it was a good deal. I did not buy the car brand new. I got it for a good price. It's good on gas and gets me to where I need to go. I like that it has Bluetooth. I really don't like the look of it. I think that it looks like every other car on the road and there's nothing unique about it. I wish it has heated seats. They make cars these days but it's nothing but a piece of plastic.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Hyundai has been a good car. My husband also bought a Hyundai after I got mine. I will probably get another one as my next car, too. It's very reliable and has had very little issues. I liked that it is safe and it's not too big and not too small. It gets decent gas mileage. I liked how it looked. The trunk is quite big. It has a very good warranty. However, I wish the music system was better. Factory battery didn't last too long. I would like a back up camera and Bluetooth features to connect with my phone.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Hyundai has very good service. They stand behind their product. The service department is very good also. The car is performing very well for me too. I like that the air conditioning unit works very well along with the automatic windows and door locks. I would have liked to get the internal GPS system but it cost too much more money. They have cut out some of the benefits like oil changes.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Hyundai is ok but I'm not really crazy about it. It has a jerking feeling when you take off from driving. It does drive good on the highway but it doesn't in town. I want a smoother ride in town and a fast car. I also wish I had a sunroof and a navigation. Even so, I like that it has 3 different drive modes. It has eco, turbo and standard. The eco saves on gas so I have it on that all the time.

Not sure about Hyundai?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Hyundai Company Information

www.hyundaiusa.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business