Hyundai

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I leased a Genesis (2016) on 1/1/16. It had numerous electrical problems. The main problem was the dash display would malfunction. It would be blacked out completely, when driving or backing up. Sometimes it would stay on after the car turned off and locked. Other issues: All lights go out in the interior and headlights while driving at night. * Drivers side window would only go up 1 inch or down 1 inch at a time randomly. ** Battery discharge error randomly goes off every 30 seconds. ** Strange sound in back right of car, possible gear malfunction. ** Dash display malfunction. **

* Possibly fixed. Did not happen again while I owned the car. ** Never fixed. Could not find the problem or never fixed. I had to file a BBB case under the lemon law of North Carolina. Hyundai fought me the whole way and lost. They had to buy back this car. Communication is horrific with their Consumer Affairs department. They did pay most of my case but still owe me money. Ridiculous I have to keep calling them. They never return my phone calls. I'll never buy a Hyundai again personally. I also plan on sharing my message with anyone so at least they heard my truth before you bought a Hyundai. Just so all know this message is 100% truth and 0% embellishment. Goodluck to all you car shoppers, and be smart!

Worst service I have ever experienced. I chose this company because it claimed to have the best service, but it turned out to be all a ruse. They disrespect you behind fake smiles and artificial manners. I have owned several cars and dealt with several companies but I have never been treated with such disgrace. All the problems I've come for are caused by the cheap and weak manufacturing of this car. Not even the car's remote lock lasted more than a few months. This company is crap starting from its products and ending with its disrespectful employees.

In Europe Hyundai offer a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty, with Hyundai Assistance ("Call us for anything you need. Even if it a tyre with low pressure", is the sales pitch). Last Sunday I called them and told them that my left headlamp was not working on my 2 year 10 month old Hyundai. Additionally it was a Sunday and I needed to drive the car at night. They sent a mechanic, but alas, he did not have a lamp (!!!). I took the car to the garage the following day and despite all the issues, they charged 60 euro (approx 78 USD) for a lamp claiming that "warranty does not cover the lamps". Lol...

Hyundai Genesis 2015 went dead on road only 1.5 years old. Had to get it towed to Napleton Hyundai Northlake. They had to replace computer. Then it happened again a week later. Then they had to replace the fuel pump module. Now the car vibrates when sitting still. The seats and the steering wheel constantly shaking. Napleton says it is because the engine is running and that's just the way the car is. Either Hyundai Genesis is a very bad car or Napleton Hyundai is totally incompetent, or possibly both. I would stay away from both! On top of that, I can't get rid of the car because they say the current value is less than the end of lease value which is still over a year away. They want me to pay 100% of the remaining payments to the end of lease if I trade it in and buy a new one. Worst dealer service I have ever had.

Sonata - The paint on the exterior peeled off. I went to the dealer and he would not back the paint 'warranty'. For Hyundai it is 36000, regardless of age. The paint problem really made me mad. When I went to a paint shop, I was told Hyundai has had a problem for 10 years and they know it. The so-called 100000 warranty is also fraud. Try to use warranty, it gets technical and ends up costing you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Hyundai is a very reliable automobile manufacturer. The Santa Fe Sport has exceptional power for a four cylinder crossover and provides good gas mileage. It is much roomier than the Tucson, yet not as cumbersome as the full-size Santa Fe. Comfortable for traveling long distances and has plenty of leg room in the back seat. Perfect for my spouse, my beagle, and myself.

I bought my Accent on 2006: very economy in fuel, keep a regular maintenance and zero problems until now, look same than on 2006. The guarantees was for 10 year. Now they offer change car or new guarantee for 5 years.

This car is very nice, it has the up to date features. Love the back up camera. Drive very smooth, low in mileage and 20$ fills the tank up. Great car for college students.

My car died. Dead battery before 2 years. Took it to Hyundai. They said I was 5,000 miles over the mileage and would not pay for a new battery. The service department says in a Goodwill request for Sunday to pay for it and they denied it. I've contacted Hyundai consumer affairs, ask them to please do something about it then call this meeting 2 years old and then the night everything also so he does not take care of their customers.

Salespeople were no-pressure. The Tucson is our 3rd Hyundai and there's lots of value in Hyundai, especially the warranty. Also lots of trouble-free miles at a pretty good price.

In June we leased a 2017 Tucson Limited. Our current 2015 Sonata Limited lease had 4 months left on the lease but we were fine with paying those months so we could head out on a 3-month road trip in the new Tucson. The dealer told me that when I turned in the 2015 Sonata it would be inspected by their Hyundai turn in person. I made arrangements with the Jim Click's Hyundai lease turn in specialist who was the Used Car Manager to inspect my car a few days prior to the actual turn-in date. I wanted to make sure there were no issues with the car. I had the pre inspection and he told me it was the cleanest turn-in he had inspected. A few days later I did the actual turn-in and received a turn-in acceptance sheet stating no issues.

Hyundai lease told me I would receive a statement in 60 days with the final lease payment charges. When the statement arrived I noticed $115 charged for wear and tear. I called Hyundai Finance and was told one of the tires had less than 4/32 tread remaining and that they needed to buy a tire before they could send the car to auction. This sounds like BS to me. The car had 35K on it at turn-in and the OEM tires should not have been worn out. I was also told that the dealer turn in specialist is not the real inspector and that the car was inspected by a third party company in Phoenix. The reason I had the pre inspection was so I could correct any issues before I had an unanticipated charge. I am paying the statement in full today but this issue has left a sour feeling with us regarding dealing with Hyundai in the future. Our first Hyundai which we still have is a 2006 Sonata and the 2017 Tucson will be our last Hyundai.

My Hyundai Accent is less than two years old and has traveled only 14,000 kms. At my last service in May I advised the service center that a hole has appeared in my driver's side floor mat. I thought this was unusual due to the low kms and the fact that I mainly drive in bare feet not big boots. A claim was initiated and I was advised that it was denied as it was "wear and tear". I could accept this if I had done a lot of kms in the vehicle however only 14,000 kms is not satisfactory. I have over the years owned a number of cars of various brands and travelled in excess of 200,000 kms in most with no similar problems. Is the construction of Hyundais so CHEAP AND NASTY that a carpet will wear out in such a short time. I had intended in keeping the vehicle but now think I'LL REPLACE IT WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN A HYUNDAI.

This car was sold to me as a higher end model, so my expectations coincided with that. About a month into ownership, the car started emitting this terrible smell every time I accelerated onto the interstate. As winter progressed, the smell stopped. When the heat returned, it came back. It seems to stop after a while then return after oil changes. I've had the vehicle a little over 2 years now, and the compressor already died. I don't even run the A/C over the 3rd bar even on the hottest days! Gas mileage already seems to be waning. I was doing 40mpg (primarily interstate driving) on regular unleaded with 10% ethanol. Now it's doing 35 or so. I really like the push button start and car door lock/unlock.

However, I've been having trouble getting the car to lock over the past couple of months. I'll press the button as usual and nothing happens. It's sporadic, can't find a pattern by temperature, weather, or amount driven. On a different note, the volume doesn't automatically adjust to engine speed, so I'm constantly adjusting the volume. I would much rather pay attention to driving! On a positive note, the car is comfortable and rides well. The heat and A/C work quickly (when they function). Two settings on the heated seats is really nice.

I am the original owner of a 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6 speed manual, and the car currently have slightly over 150,000 miles. About 10 months ago I made my first attempt to get my car evaluated for rust spots that I noticed in various places (under side of the hood, gas fill cap area and frame above the muffler). Mostly spots are under the paint. I filed a complaint and obtained a case number. Despite having case number almost every time I called I had to explain the issue over and over again. I got a very little cooperation from the local Hyundai dealer (Branhaven Hyundai formerly Quality Hyundai) and a very slow response from Hyundai Motors of America. {and did not have anyone to contact most of the time}. The official response from Hyundai Motors of America came by mail only 6 months later denying warranty coverage.

Only now after I got the letter I was able to get the name and address so I can file small claims writ for the cost of the repair and false advertisement. The official Hyundai website positing warranty coverage of 7 years unlimited miles, but for some reason my car did not stand in that guidance even if it's only 5 years old. If you owned the same model vehicle Hyundai Elantra 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 ask your local oil change place or mechanic to look underneath the frame and see if you have the same problem and if you do please report it to your local Hyundai dealer. Please see attached pictures and if anyone else experienced a similar problem please share it. It's impossible that I'm the only one experiencing the problem. I am from Connecticut so we do have salt on the road but I own other cars and none of them got rust like that even after 10 years.

Hyundai offers a great product at a decent price. Their warranty and service are excellent. This is my second Sonata! It is reliable and durable. Plus, the limited edition comes loaded!

I had a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, it was my 2nd Santa Fe, and 5th Hyundai in my family. The car was having issues with an oil leak, though my oil light never came on, and the service I paid extra for, called "Blue Link" never reported any issues. It caught on fire and was totaled. This was a very scary and frustrating event. The monthly "Blue Link Report" is still saying My burnt Hyundai is still working properly with no issues.

On 8/8/2017 my Hyundai Elantra vehicle started clunking as a way getting on to the highway. After pulling over, I saw a huge puddle of oil that was leaking out of my vehicle. After having it towed and inspected I was told that something let loose in the engine and blew a hole right through. This was after only going through a puddle but then having all parts affect cleaned out. A week later this is what happens. I have never owned a vehicle where the engine had to be replaced so quickly. It is only a 2015 with 109,000 miles approximately. I had a previous 2010 Hyundai that surpassed that mileage. I believe that something is defective in the way they have made these engines in newer year models. Everyone should be aware of this before purchasing because I am now spending thousands of dollars after only 2 years of owning the vehicle on top of being stuck with a significant amount due on my car loan.

If you have a Hyundai do yourself a favor and give it the hell back. Hyundai motor finance is by far the WORST company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with in my life. Their customer service is horrible, their supervisors are a bunch of rude and condescending jerks and the company as a whole is crap. If they did their jobs at all and gave a damn about their customers maybe their ratings wouldn't be so bad. I lease a car through Hyundai, last Friday I was pulled over and given a ticket (luckily my car wasn't impounded!) because my registration was expired 2 months! Hyundai never sent me the paperwork to renew it so I had no idea it was even expiring. I called them, they told me it was my problem and my responsibility.

What?! The car is leased to HYUNDAI! I can't walk into a DMV and ask to register a car that isn't mine without the damn paperwork. Hyundai told me that they never got the paperwork from the dmv... Ok... So your company doesn't look into it. "No, we don't do that." That's the response I got. Basically Hyundai believes they are not responsible for anything. So screw me right? Screw the customer... I pay almost $400 for this car a month and I haven't been able to drive it since last Friday! I told Hyundai they should be responsible for paying the ticket I got because it could have easily been avoided if they did their jobs properly and provided the customer with the paperwork. I was told I'm responsible for it and it's in my lease. Well people of hmfusa my lease also says "(Unless the interest or penalties are a result of our negligence)."

So since Hyundai mysteriously never received the paperwork from the DMV they don't look into it, that's basically telling me as a customer to go screw myself. P.S. I called NJMVC, they sent Hyundai my paperwork. This company gives 0 compassion to its customers that spend all this money and when the customer has an issue we receive no help on fixing it. Friday I was told they don't know why I never got the registration form and that they would send me paperwork priority so I could go to the DMV and fix it. Monday I checked the mail and still nothing. I called them again and the lady told me it was just sent that morning. What?? Ok, now it's Wednesday, I STILL have nothing. Called again and the lady told me yet again it was sent out and now I SHOULD have it by the end of the week.

What happened to priority? "The request is priority but the mail is regular shipping." Why the hell is it sent regular mail if you can see it's something I need asap. "In order to send overnight we need the customer's FedEx account." What?! What normal person has a damn FedEx account? That is the most bs excuse I've ever been told. Go to USPS, ask to overnight it and bam. "We don't do that." HMFUSA DOES NOTHING! This company can be run by ferrets and function better. Customer service is 0 and the company could care less about its customers. Never again will I get a Hyundai. I've never had a worse experience in my life with a car company.

How do they expect people to get to work, go to the grocery store. God forbid I have a medical emergency. Oh well, I can't drive the car. This company is such dirt and could care less about its customers. I have had no answers except the same garbage over and over again, "It's on its way, we're sorry for the inconvenience, we don't do that, we don't do this" blah blah blah. This multi billion dollar company can't spare to pay the cost to overnight a limited power of attorney to a customer so they can get their problem fixed. Nope, screw the customers! Don't ever get a hyundai!!!

Hyundai has the worst leasing programs in the business. Do not fall for their lease plan. My wife turned her Equis recently. The car was 12,000 miles under so she thought she was fine. She had the Hyundai dealer wash the car when she took it in for an oil change. They used a pressure washer and took some of the pearl white off the plastic bumper. The manager said they have had issues with this paint and not to worry. Hyundai sent a person out to look at her car and write it up. She wrote down the paint issue. She said it needed a new tire. The tire in question was well within the safe range. Note that this vehicle was known to have under equipped tires on them and she kept the same when she replaced them.

After 24,000 miles she had purchased two sets of tires. The Equis was their top of the line vehicle and their bottom of the line vehicles had more bells and whistles on them. My wife had asked before purchasing the vehicle about all of the things like bluetooth and was assured it had it but the salesman didn't know how to work it. That was a lie. She went back the day after purchasing the vehicle and was told "Too bad, we're sorry. Can't do anything about it." I will say it was the best driving vehicle we've had and I did enjoy it. The problem was the Hyundai Lease, they lie, cheat and dig into your back pocket. DO NOT LEASE THROUGH HYUNDAI. Purchase the vehicle outright or find another lease option. My wife showed the Texas Hyundai Lease manager her original correspondence and how Hyundai Lease didn't get back to her the first week she had it. They do not care about you, just the money.

We are waiting on a recall for the white paint to get our money back. Tire places including the dealership said the tire in question was within code. The dealership said they would have waived all of the issues Hyundai Lease found. Remember, you're getting the car from a dealership but you're dealing with Hyundai underhand Lease.

I purchased a brand new 2015 Hyundai Genesis on Dec 5 2015 and began having problems almost immediately with check engine light flashing and the car not starting and locking up on me? I traded my 2014 Kia Cadenza in on this car with 14,000 miles on it and only had to change the oil 2 times with NO problems! I took my car in for service and had the electrical harness replaced 2 times and ECM replaced but the same problem with the electronics persisted after 7 times in for service in 5 months. I resorted to the Lemon Law in Nj in April 2016 with 2500+ miles on my Genesis. Still making payments and full coverage insurance on my car. Finally I was given a court date in May 22 2017 but a week before Hyundai Motors of America (HMA) made an offer thru my Lemon Law attorney to buy the car back and I just wanted to get this mess resolved because the car has been in the shop since May 5 2017 and the Tech haven't found the problem yet?

Today is August 10 2017 and my nightmare continues. I don't have the settlement I was promised by HMA yet. NO car. The dealer took the loaner back after several weeks and the Lemon Law attorney has been telling me the settlement checks have been ordered but I am STILL making car payments and FULL coverage on a car that I can't drive and NOBODY is looking out for my interests the attorney seems to work for HMA instead of me? This has been the worst summer of my life! NEVER again HMA!

I lease cars every three years, so I've had many cars throughout my lifetime. I've never written a bad review about a car or car company until now. I just turned my 2014 Sonata in early (40,000 miles) and decided to pay off the lease/lose a lot of money because I was scared for my safety. My heating and cooling unit had to be replaced, the shifter had to be replaced because it was making my car stall, the wheel wells tore off because they were made out of cardboard, the clasps on the armrest broke because they were made of cheap plastic, and the back seat material pulled apart because they only sewed part of the seats. Then there was the recent recall for the engine and seat belts at the same time. The seat belts were installed incorrectly and the engine had an issue where it could stall spontaneously while driving. The quality control for this company is ridiculous.

Then the last time I took my car in to be repaired I started getting messages and flyers, within a week, from Hyundai about the car I own (I didn't own the car) and how I should extend my warranty. This has led to random warranty companies calling about extending the warranty to now receiving multiple calls a day from credit card scammers. This never happened before I had my car repaired as I'm very careful about who gets my number. Clearly my number was given out by Hyundai and now it's in the wrong hands. I am beyond disgusted with this company.

I bought a new 2015 Hyundai Elantra and already had problems at 37,000 miles. My car started making weird noises and lost power when we went to take it in the car wouldn't even start. When you go there to buy a car they treat you like gold. If you have a problem I felt more like we were shoplifters. I would never recommend buying a Hyundai to anyone sadly it looks beautiful but that's it.

I own a 2013 Hyundai Genesis. I am the second owner. My car have been make noise in the rear end of the vehicle. I brought it in over 3 times and the mechanics said nothing is wrong it's normal. He took a ride with me to hear the noise he heard it but don't know what it's from. Recently the bolt that goes thru the lid broke. They fix it but the noise continue. I brought it back they told me come back another time they're busy now. The driveshaft fall off they don't wanna fix it and tell me warranty decline my claim because I been abusing the car. Mind you my car is still under warranty.

I own a 2012 elantra. And while I'm driving it seem the rear suspension rolls. From side to side. This only happens when I roll over a bridge bump, I ask the Hyundai dealer what could be the problem and their answer was the shocks need replaces. They replaced the shock twice but this did not solve the rear rolling. The top mechanic couldn't understand why this was happen. Superior Hyundai really doesn't have a clue why my car rolls. What can I do to have this fix?

I am at this point, a thoroughly dissatisfied customer with Hyundai. I leased this Hyundai 2016 Plug In Hybrid car from Hyundai in 2016 Feb and had a very good experience with the car all this while. I had been using the car for my 70 mile daily commute and loved the car. Then on May 18th, my car had problems - it refused to start in my office parking lot. I called the Hyundai dealership and they told me to get the car towed in so they can take a look. The car was brought in to the Hyundai service center. 3 days later, the diagnosis was that the hybrid battery needs to be replaced. The service technician expected to get the replacement battery in 5 days. 5 days later, no updates. I kept following up for the next 3 weeks, and still no updates.

I finally escalated the matter to their consumer affairs department. They took two weeks to investigate, and came back with an offer to pay me a compensation amount, while I waited for the car to get fixed. The update they gave me then was that the car will be fixed by July 15th. By July 15th, they had no actual progress! And now, the latest update is that they will fix the car by August 21st! I am really disappointed that Hyundai has shown no interest in getting this fix expedited despite the fact that it's already 2 months plus. A one year old car, in warranty, is just sitting idle in the service shop, waiting for a critical part! I have sworn off Hyundai for my life and would never recommend anyone to buy another Hyundai car ever again!!!

This car (2008 Hyundai Santa Fe) has had multiple recalls on it. Several of them major safety concerns. One of them (NHTSA #10058931) due to an engine valve leak causing oil to leak all over the alternator. (I lost all control, power, etc on Christmas Eve barely making it off the road into a parking lot, but not a space). They fixed the front valve with the recall, but now there is a second valve doing the same thing. Not part of the original recall (at least a $500 fix out of my pocket) that at this moment I will get to be responsible for.

This doesn't include the previous issue with the ESC or the new BAD electrical problem that affects the stop lamp illumination (so no brake lights), the ESC and several other things (oh, and Hyundai hasn't notified me of this new recall yet, but I'm definitely having the issue). It can also affect the shifter and allow your car (when on) to be taken out of park when the brake pedal isn't pressed. I've been supremely disappointed in the timeliness of communications on recalls, the multitude of recalls and the lack of willingness to fix all problems (e.g. the gasket heads). I've included pictures of some of the recall statements from the NHTSA, etc.

I purchased a brand new 2012 Santa Fe in June of that year. Always kept up with oil changes and took care of things as they occurred. We purchased the extended warranty along with undercoating and interior Scotchgard for upholstery. About a month and a half ago I heard a tappet noise only on cold start. I took vehicle into dealer and explained my issue. They told me leave vehicle and they would check it out. About 4 hours later they called and me what I would have never guessed in a million years that I needed a new engine. I was shocked, they told me that it like oil wasn't changed.

I didn't save all my receipts, so I had to track down my receipts and I even had to go to the mechanics that I had worked on vehicle in the past. Luckily they were able to retrieve my old receipts along trying to locate my old file cabinet to find the receipts I had on hand. I took the receipts into dealer (Ettleson Hyundai in Hodgkins, IL). I waited almost two weeks for outcome. They tell me that I had to come up $8000.00 to replace engine. They don't want to honor the warranty. Based on what I have seen and read on your reviews I will be a strong advocate against anyone to ever buy these cars. The company should go bankrupt. Is there any lawyers out there that could give any advice regarding this issue?

I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis. While I am mostly satisfied with the car itself, I am very dissatisfied with the service. The dealerships have no idea how to provide even reasonably good service to customers who purchase a car like this at the relatively high price commanded for a Genesis. My car has required warranty service several times (twice requiring more than 2 days) and the dealerships (saying it is against Hyundai warranty policy) refuse to provide a loan car or pay for the rental car. My last car was a Lexus and the dealer always provided a loaner (no questions asked) for any type of service. Hyundai and its dealerships do not value my time and just seem unconcerned and incompetent. Added to this is the fact that there are few Hyundai dealerships requiring a significant drive to get poor service. I am going to sell this car as soon as possible and never purchase another Hyundai again.

2012 Accent - My air con quit. Had 2 different mechanics look at it. Both recharged the AC and it still did not work. 2nd mechanic told me the problem is a control module in the computer and if the car is less than 5 years old and mileage under 100 k the problem is fixed under warranty. Called Hyundai. They checked my VIN. It was originally put on the road April 25, 2012... Is the computer programmed to fail just after warranty? It probably was not working then, however not a time of year I would use. Have been told 800 - 1000 to fix???

On June 29 my wife drove our 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe from Dandridge Tn. to Knoxville Tn. about 40 miles to pick up a friend at the hospital. When she got within sight of the hospital the car died and the oil light and battery light came on. There were not any lights prior to this that came on and the car was not running hot at all. We had the car towed home. The tow driver that picked up the car restarted it and it did not have any warning lights on and the driver drove it onto his flatbed and hauled it to our house, backed it off the truck and we backed it into the garage. We called Hyundai of Morristown and roadside assistance to take the car there.

When that driver came I pulled the car out of the garage and down the drive to the back of the flat bed and left it running. The driver pulled it up onto his flatbed again no warning lights were on. The dealer told my wife that the engine had no oil and the engine was burnt up and had sludge. They told my wife that we did not change the oil and that is what caused the engine to fail and it would cost us $8000.00 to replace the engine. I was on the internet looking for a used engine when an article came up on a settled class action law suit and recall on various Kia's and also included the 2014 Hyundai Santa fe with the 2.4 liter engine due to metal shaving in the crankshaft from machining causing engine failure. I printed the article and went to the dealer to the service department.

The service manager told me that the recall did not include our VIN # and that the engine failure was caused from not changing the engine oil and that their records showed that we had only taken it to them 1 time for an oil change. I told the service manager that I had been changing my oil myself. She ask me if I had receipts to show that. I did not keep the receipts for the oil and filters, I did not think I would have to prove to anyone that I had been changing the oil. I ask her where the oil had went and she said that there were no leaks and she had seen engines that the oil had not been changed in and that I had caused the engine to burn up because I had not changed the oil. She said that the engine was bone dry and had sludge in it.

We were in the general manager's office and were both getting heated so I ended the conversation and left. I called the customer care center and filed a claim and was told that what was sent to the warranty department was that the radiator was low and that the overflow was dry, that they had tried two different dip sticks and could not get any liquid to show. They also said that the oil light was staying on at idle and they had to add 5 and 1/2 quarts of oil. I have tried to get to someone to have them talk to the tow truck drivers to show that the dealer had dishonest but have not been successful so far. The dealer has been deceitful about this. They have not answered the question as to why we got no warning lights or overheating until the car stalled and quit. I have owned 2 Kia's and a Hyundai and after this experience I will never own another and when I get my Santa Fe back I will probably trade it in on another brand car.

Hyundai Company Profile