Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.23/5

Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1421 Hyundai Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We purchased a Hyundai Eon car on June 2013, Hans Hyundai, New Delhi and as of now, i.e., December 2018 it has 7,900 kms on it. We are facing the following issues with the car: (i) EPS light coming on and the power steering feels too hard - I took it to the workshop and they say the power steering module isn't working and needs to be changed. (ii) Air conditioning not working - The workshop says gas isn't there. (iii) Boot door doesn't stay open - The workshop says both boot struts aren't working and needs to be replaced.

To our surprise, the car which has not even been run for 8,000 kms has all the above failures. This shows the poor quality & workmanship of your product & it is not acceptable. We as customers buy your vehicle considering the reliability & quality of the cars. But if the car can't even run 10,000 kms without issues then how can we consider the reliability of buying Hyundai cars. #FaultyHyundaiEPS #FaultyEon #Hyundai #HyundaiIndia #RightHereRightCare.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I own a Tucson ix35, I am very happy with the car to the point that I wanted to change my old one for a new Tucson. My disappointment started after I took it to the shop because of a hesitation problem. It was a Friday, at first I was attended adequately. They asked my phone to call me the next day (Saturday) to inform me what the car needed to solve the problem. They never called me until I showed up on Monday in the shop to see what the problem was. They have not even touched the car and they were surprised to see me there, at 3:00 p.m. I received a call telling me that the price was "approximately" 360 u.s.d because they did not know if other parts were faulty, showing that they have not checked the car professionally and technically to what I said to suspend the work.

When I appeared to take my car, the person in charge tried to give me a not convincing explanation for the delay with a not very friendly attitude. After he was asked about report a serious shop is supposed to give the customers before delivering the car, the guy said "Do you know what a check up is?" and urged me to pay 39 u.s.d. My son was about to react but I signaled to calm down. I did not say a word, paid the bill and left the shop. The car was as dirty as I left (I do not know if they do not have any more the policy of delivering a clean car or simply the 39 dollars I paid are not worth it). Anyways the summary is: I as a customer feel mistreated and I am seriously reconsidering the possibility to buy another Hyundai. Take this information of my bad experience to try to improve the quality of the service. My best regards.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I returned my leased 2016 Hyundai Elantra sport in excellent condition, and the dealership looked at it with no issues. Later, I received bogus charges about damages done to the car. They lie and deceive customers, and they will do whatever it takes to embezzle money from hard-working people. Stay away as you’re better off conducting business elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Zero Rating if possible. I don't really know where to begin with this brand and its terrible cars. I purchased a brand new Hyundai Sonata Turbo in 2013. I've spent countless hours with my car in the shop over the car sputtering, shaking, cutting off at stop signs. Not to mention the electronics in the car are terrible; Bluetooth doesn't connect half the time for unknown reasons. There's been at least 4 recalls done since I purchased this car. I had to get a total electrical discharge done to reset the electronics because the car was going haywire.

Finally, I'm down on Myrtle Beach for vacation and the car totally shuts off. Turns out it was a faulty engine that needed to be replaced. Took 30 days to get the engine sent in from Korea and replaced. Then somehow the rental car that I had racked up an amazing 2400 bill of which Hyundai determined to only pay $400. And then afterward I noticed the car jumping and things shifting and making horrible noises under the hood. Turns out the repairmen didn't screw the transmission mount screws on tight enough both of the bolts had the heads off and the transmission was moving around while I was driving.

The dealership told me the car would be fine to drive and so I did until it just became unbearable. Now they want me to fork over another $1700 to replace the entire subframe that they messed up when installing the engine. Hyundai is a horrible company with Horrible cars. I will never purchase another thing from you and your terrible dealerships. Go out of business for the countries sake or leave your terrible cars in Korea.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I currently own a 2005 Hyundai Sonata but decided to get a new car 2 years ago. Not knowing what I really wanted, I decided to lease a new 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT. Prior to the end of the lease in January 2019, I received a letter from the dealership stating that they will cover termination fees, excess wear and tear, disposition fees and over mileage fees. I leased a new 2018 Hyundai Kona in August of 2018. To my surprise, I recently received a bill from Hyundai Motor Finance Company for over $1,300. I have made countless phone calls to both the dealership and finance company to no avail. The dealer says they have done everything they can and do not understand the charges, the finance company says that they are just going by my contract and here I am stuck in the middle with a bill. I ended up paying the balance for "loss of sale", a term I heard only after turning in the car.

The Hyundai Motor Finance Company has even charged me $65.00 a hubcap for "curb rash"; $260 just for hubcaps! When speaking with one of their representatives, she explained that they want the car back in the same condition I got it in; In other words, they do not accept "normal wear and tear". They are a third party just like any other bank and really don't have anything to do with what dealerships tells me. Unless you are willing to read all the fine print in your contract at the dealership, which is kind of hard because all they really want is to have you walk away with a car, take the contract home and read it before you sign for after it has your signature, you are legally bound to its terms.

Don't expect the dealership to explain to you important terms like "loss of sale"; the difference you are responsible for if the car is not sold at auction for a price that covers the remainder of the lease balance. Call the "Lease End" department before you turn in the car and arrange for a pre-inspection so you can fix everything at a fraction of the cost. I could have replaced all four hubcaps for less than $100. I now purchased the "excess wear and tear" insurance for the new vehicle; let's see how that goes?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Dan was the man that helped me choose my car. I sort of new what I wanted but his thoughtfulness concerning price and payments was second to none. He also picked us up as we had no car due an accident. He ran through every aspect of what I needed the car for. Many thanks to all at the showroom supplying us coffee while we chose. So to all at the Newport showroom a big thank you and the car well that is just great. I love it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We've leased two new Hyundais in a row and 7 new Hondas leased prior to the Hyundais, with no issues. Going back to Honda or Toyota. The most recent Hyundai was a 2016 Tucson limited, the AC never worked properly from day one. Shortly after the AC came on cool air would cease. This issue is documented on the Cas Complaints website. We had 3 miserable summers in the Deep South with this lemon Tucson. Three different dealers noted the problem. One kept the car 3 days and agreed that the car had a serious AC problem, but all said unless the diagnostic computer gave an error code there is no warranty. The first Hyundai was 2016 Santa Fe, which had a well documented steering issue when highway driving. Again no Hyundai warranty help. Guess we were suckers for leasing the second Hyundai, but the warranty is utterly worthless. If you have a problem, you're screwed!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Love my Santa Fe. Never had problems. My question is to the manufacturer. An idea for you guys. Make a 4 by 4 Santa Fe just like a Jeep Cherokee. Lifted a little higher like a Jeep Cherokee. It would be a great competition. What you think Hyundai?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My daughter left Rehoboth Beach DE heading home to Philadelphia on June 24th when the engine on her Tucson gave out in the middle of the Delaware Turnpike. She had it towed to a dealer in Philly the next day. After a month at the dealership she was finally told that Hyundai USA had approved her warranty complaint and that they would be replacing the engine. We were told that it would be the middle to the end of September before it would be available... then October... then November. Today, November 14, 2018 I received an email that the engine won't be available until early January 2019! As someone else had said, I doubt seriously that the engine will be available then!

This is ridiculous that they do not have replacement engines available. The engine has to come from Korea and they cite production delays as the problem. There is sure as hell new Hyundais coming every freakin' day from Korea, so why isn't there replacement engines available? The 100,000 mile warranty is not worth the paper it is written on! It is a scam and I would caution everyone before you think about buying a Hyundai... DON'T!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

The main issues I have with the vehicle are fairly minor, although some could potentially be a major issues. When creating a rear deck for transporting items, the rear passenger seats don't fold down perfectly flat. I ended up building my own slide-in deck to compensate for the slightly lifted rear passenger seats. The adaptive cruise control seems a bit laggy adapting, but that is probably why the manual says it can't be trusted if there's a difference in speed between vehicles over 35 mph.

I also live in California where motorcycle lane splitting is legal. The problem is it can confuse the adaptive cruise control. Very frequently I'll be going 40 mph (rush hour traffic on a freeway) and a motorcyclist will blast by in between the lanes at 60+ mph. About 50% of the time the cruise control will start tracking the lane-splitting bike and suddenly accelerate, potentially causing my vehicle to smash into the vehicle ahead of it which is only going 40 mph. Fortunately, the cruise control has always been buggy enough so I typically keep it on a short leash anyway, ready to brake. But it is a potentially dangerous annoyance. I'm not sure whether it's just bad luck, but my Santa Fe has been broken into more in the first year of ownership than in all the other vehicles I've had since I started driving 40+ years ago. It's probably because it's new looking and it's an SUV which has no lockable trunk.

But here is the problem with the vehicle: In all cases when my vehicle has been broken into, I've been less than 100 to 50 feet away and heard nothing. In the last instance, I heard glass breaking but no alarm. As far as I can tell the alarm is useless. The blinking light on the dash is just a bad joke. I'm definitely looking into some aftermarket alarms now. If there had been an alarm, as it claims to have, then I would have been alerted and been able to stop the burglary. I know this to be true because I stopped a theft on my prior vehicle because its horn went off when the window was broken, and I ran right out and chased off the burglar before he was able to carry off anything.

Also, although I know this a problem of all SUVs, it would be nice to have a secure, lockable cargo area. As it is, anyone breaking into the car can easily steal anything as there is no place to hide anything, except the glove compartment. Also, when I see vehicles that have been in rear-end accidents, the vehicle doing the rear-ending usually takes most of the damage, with a crumpled hood and such. When my Hyundai was rear-ended at low speed by a sedan half its size, my SUV somehow got most of the damage. The auto repair shop sent the insurance company a $5000 bill. Which it paid, but still that suggests a fairly serious bumper design issue. Even the first vehicle I owned from 1980, a Toyota Tercel, would have not sustained that much damage if it had been hit similarly in the rear. Of course it also had thick rubber bumpers, but still, this is a $45K vehicle.

Hyundai Company Information