3.55/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Sonata

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

Original review: June 6, 2019

I leased a "brand new" 2011 Sonata. Was told at the signing I would be able to qualify for the 10yr/100,000 mile warranty should I chose to finance the car in 3 years. LIE. By the time I got to 6 years and 48,000 miles... any "extended warranty" I received after financing the car was gone. GEICO has a great "extended warranty plan." I found this out when I tried to get my Air Conditioner fixed by Hyundai at about this mark.

The warranty is not granted to anyone buying the car after it has been leased... In other words, according to the Hyundai of Metairie Service & Finance People: "NO CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED WARRANTY EXISTS". THEN THE ENGINE FAILURE AVALANCHE: Within 2 months had to replace: Battery, Engine, 2 Starter Motors, 2 Radiator Fans, Pully/Tensioner System, either a Suspension or Control Arm AND it took 7-8 months of my complaining about Loud Noises under the hood (they could "never hear it") to finally tell me the Alternator needs to be replaced.

They never wanted to pay for any of it. Never found anything wrong with it unless I turned around and blamed them on the spot. Had to fight tooth and nail just to get a rental car or have them. Then there is the Hyundai Claims Settlement... OH MY GOD. It was suppose to take a maximum of 2 months. 6-7 months later... it's still ongoing. Besides trying AVOIDING RESPONSIBILITY AT ALL COSTS, the items that their claims website says is covered (batteries, towing, and other items addressed during the fix) are repeatedly denied at every turn, even going as far as not covering a towing expense. Whats more, when they "issued claim decision", they said there is no way to reimburse me for that towing that they admit to covering verbally.

DON'T EXPECT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM: After calling 60 -100 times, I might have got my case manager on the phone a total of 8. The last 2 case managers, I've got them on the phone 1 time out of 20 calls and messages. Only got an email from one stating a "Final Verdict" of settlements. Additional phone calls had employees lying about being out the office, call back in 10 minutes, that person doesn't work with us, you need to call another department because we can't make decisions once finalized, you need to call the previous department back and talk to a supervisor because I was told a non-truth, etc. If you want the Phone Call recordings, I got those to back it up. The word you are looking for is NOT HYUNDAI. You are looking for HONDA.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I purchased a brand new 2018 Hyundai Sonata Sport in November 2018 from Lee Hyundai Florence, SC. On May, 20th 2019 the vehicle needed a wire harness knock sensor replaced due to engine light flashing and the vehicle not accelerating over 60mph. Once replaced, after days, I took my vehicle home and the problem reoccurred. I took the vehicle back to the very next day and was told they had to erase the car computer’s diagnostics memory because the vehicle was fixed; however it DID NOT work. The same day I had to return back, once again, to Lee Hyundai of Florence, SC because the vehicle was still NOT fixed after the 3rd attempt. Later that evening I was told they really did NOT know what was wrong and had to order another another part.

On May 29th, 2019 I called to get a status on the findings and was told they did NOT know when whatever part the car needed was going to be in and that it was on backorder. Still under warranty, this is a very unfortunate and major let down. I am seeking out to Consumers Affairs to formally represent me on behalf of making the dealer buy that vehicle back with a zero dollar balance. I do NOT want the vehicle back nor will I repurchase another Hyundai. With Kind Regards, Jessica.

Original review: May 2, 2019

There are thousands of reports of this car lurching forward, all on its own, and wrecking. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and I rear ended the lady in front of me. If she had not been there, I'd have gone right into incoming traffic and would most likely be dead. How can they get away with this? DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI, EVER. This car is terrifying to drive.

Original review: April 28, 2019

My car has been towed 4 times in less than a year of purchase. 1st the Relay Sensor twice, then the Starter, then a recall on the engine software that I got NO NOTIFICATION on. I found out a month later while getting an oil change and tire rotation. Then as I'm getting off the exit almost 2 hrs from home, the engine light comes on. The next day, I barely made it to the closest dealership to find out that the update was only temporary and thank God I was not on the highway when the engine computer malfunctioned because it would have slowed me down in the middle of 80 miles an hour track.

So, roadside assistance can only tow me to a local dealership. If they tow me home, it will cost me almost $400 out of pocket. The dealership has no loaner cars available because of the same issues on vehicles people purchased there. Then my dealership where I purchased the car tells me to rent a car to get home, but they don't understand that I am 2 hrs away from home. And to top it all off, to get a loaner from where I purchased the car would have them to FREEZE $500 of my money for their issue. THIS IS GARBAGE AND I'M APPALLED BY THIS LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE when I'm paying my hard earned money for a vehicle I have to worry about breaking down.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I bought a 2017 Hyundai Sonata. After 2 years Hyundai told me that there is a recall on the engine (it was for thousands of other models from 2011 to 2018 check your car). They changed the engine (refurbish only) and a week after the replacement of the engine the engine failed again. Hyundai tried to buy back the car for 55% of the value. It look to me that Hyundai is scamming the consumers and hiding the truth about the quality of the car. 2 engines in one week... Hyundai will not stay behind this defective cars as they try to push the cost on the customer. I opened a case with the BBB and it look that the BBB is working for the car industry...so don’t spend your time. The best option looks a legal one. Anyone that got an idea or question can email me at **. Thanks. Rudi **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: April 21, 2019

I did 1100 miles a week for almost 5 years, lots of travel and the last few years of weekly trips were 650 a week to work. Only repairs were outer tie rods, one fan belt and last year a battery. Lots of oil changes, driver's seat is worn, struts of course overdue for replacement. I planned on going 300k with the car, great runner and this was the model with the bits of metal in the engine from initial machining. I guess the oil changes every three weeks and high mileage flushed it out fast. To this day the oil is not black, maintains that grey look. Planning on getting another Sonata. But, I am reading above issues customers have had and are making me think twice. This will be our fifth Hyundai in the family if I get another one. I got my money's worth out of it because I stayed on top of the oil changes.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I bought my 2016 Hyundai Sonata 3 yrs ago and loved it until the engine dies on my over a month ago. Found out it was due to a recall on the engine software. It has been over a month and my car is still sitting at the dealer. No ETA as to when I can expect a new engine, a loaner or any reimbursement for the rental cars I had to use to get to work. Now I am broke, about to be unemployed and still no word from Hyundai. I am paying for a car I can't drive, was assigned a case manager from Hyundai who was suppose to provide updates and I have not heard from this person and this is truly frustrating.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My husband and I bought a brand new 2018 Hyundai Sonata February 2018. February 2019 while driving home form work the car shut down. We brought it into a Hyundai dealership where it is still there, today is 4/10/2019. We were told it needs a new engine and they have been waiting for it to arrive. This is crazy.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I own a 2010 Sonata. The rear brakes together and right brake (additionally) separately have the brakes freeze. First you can hear some grinding. Shortly (within a couple of days) the grinding is loud and with every braking. The brake seizing grinding noise is constant, even without braking. Tire becomes too hot to touch. You can smell burning rubber inside the car.

I have had the brakes (pads, rotors, caliper all replaced twice) done out of pocket. The second time the pads were under warranty - the rest I paid for again. The master cylinder was also replaced. Nothing changed. My mechanic contacted Hyundai mechanic(s). Was told Hyuandi was not familiar with this issue and they had no advice to offer.

My mechanic took the system apart, reassembled, made another adjustment. This time it worked, although my mechanic was not sure exactly why. Until last evening. The car deeply grinds when brakes are depressed. Back break is beginning to ‘freeze up’. Next call is back to my mechanic. Hopefully, at least the pads will still be under warranty. It is not safe to drive it this way. I have seen this issue in several forums. Definitely not alone with this issue. Hyuandi finally issued a TSB on this issue. I do not understand when there are enough complaints to issue a TSB - but no one has died (yet) so Hyuandi will not be subject to a mandated recall. Nor pay for TSB repairs. Sad someone must die before a recall will be issued. I checked with NTSB and no death = no recall.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We purchased our used 2015 Hyundai Sonata in Jan of 2018. We also purchased a maintenance package which covers oil changes, filters, tire rotations etc... So keeping the maintenance up was done and on time. On Feb 15th 2019 (1 yr later) we broke down. We had no gas power and the car just would not go. The check engine light was flashing also. We obviously pulled over and got the car towed to the dealership where we purchased the car. A few days later the dealership calls and lets us know we need a new engine.

We had the car one (1) year and kept the maintenance up and now we find out these cars engines are bad...Team Chevy Team Mazda DGDG in Vallejo Ca sold us this car. We are now waiting to see of Hyundai is going to step up and take responsibility for these engines that are affecting so many of us. We currently have 65,000 miles on this car. This dealership should also step up. They have to know there is a problem with these cars and still they sell them to the public?

Hyundai Sonata Company Information