2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.58/5

The Hyundai Sonata is a mid-size car that debuted in 1985. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Hyundai Sonata Reviews

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

On Dec 4, 2019 we purchased the brand new Hyundai Sonata 2020. On Dec 28, 2019 the check engine light came on. On Dec 29, 2019 the car sent an email stating there was an engine control issue. Dec 30, took the car to the repair shop and was told it was an axle leaking oils and grease into the engine. That part was ordered and a few days later I was notified that the check engine light is still on.

It’s now January 14, 2020. The car is still in the shop. They don’t know what’s wrong with the car and CORPORATE has been everything but accommodating. Marie was aggressive and assured me that I would not be getting a replacement car and it would take time to review if the car qualified for a buyback. I Am so hurt! I’m humiliated and upset. Then she acts like it’s my fault that they sold a LEMON. I will be glad when this issue is over and they decide what they will do because it’s not what the customer wants. I will update when the situation is over but after speaking with Marie from Corporate I don’t feel hopeful.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

The 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Are garbage, within the first 1400 miles, my check engine light came on. The Hybrid system was malfunction and heating up the overflow. The hype of 45mph highway was the biggest gimmick, the 42city also was a lie, the Hybrid system electric range was less than 5 miles electric mode, really pissed me off. Now after two years the trade in value is only $11,900 less than half of the cost of the base model. Hyundai Sonata Hybrid SE we got was definitely a lemon after the 4th repair we had within the first year of purchase. Hyundai denied our lemon law refund requests twice within the 1-year four repair guidelines placed me under duress, I let the defective product go, trying to continue fight against Hyundai thru my lemon holder bank is hard though.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Love the car. Very comfortable, great amenities, excellent safety features, economical. When you have to depend on a fast response it responds confidently. We had leased the car & then decided to buy at end of lease. Very difficult procedure; lots of things got mixed up. Trouble with license plate, title transfer, etc.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I had engine seize on me and had the entire engine replace. Thankfully they covered the entire cost due to a recall. It was a pain but, they were very helpful throughout the entire ordeal. I would recommend this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

This is my 3rd Sonata. I find that that they cost me very little in terms of upkeep. I like all of the standard features that come with this model of car which may be considered extras on other makes. This car has always been reliable for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Sonata?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

My Sonata is a very good car with lots of bang for the bucks. It drives and rides like a much more expensive car and many extras come standard. My only complaint is the upholstery fabric. It absolutely sucks up anything that contacts it!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

This review is really for Lynn from Whitby, who had engine failure with her Veloster. Same thing happened to me @ 114k km (2014 Sonata), I went to Maple Hyundai (Carlos service advisor), HC replaced my engine for free, I had no extended warranty. I just had to prove I had regular oil changes done, which I did. It was a fairly easy process, no one tried to screw me over, HC must know it's a huge issue.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

At 105k my steering wheel started making clunking noises, did research and knew exactly what it was. The part itself is $1.26 but I got charged for extensive labor costs. This should of been a recall, as it was a safety concern and I should not have to pay b/c Hyundai decided to use a cheap part in the steering column. They said it had an extended warranty but only up to 100k, and I was just past that.

After fighting with national and a rude case manager, I Just forked up the cash. I also got an oil change during my visit, and 2 weeks later my oil light came on and I had no oil. It was a weekend so I bought oil to put in my car until I could go to the dealership Monday, They said I would need to pay for another oil change and start an oil consumption test. I got another oil change and 2 days later my oil light back on and it was over halfway gone.

The manager told me to come back once more 2 days later and he would get me a rental and my engine would be replaced per warranty on it up to 12ok. I get a call 3 days later saying they are not fixing it and I need to come get my car and bring it back to get topped off every time the oil gets low. I am extremely dissatisfied and considering trading this car in for something else. AVOID HYUNDAI. Customer service and the dealership are horrible. I will gladly go back to Honda or Toyota and not deal with this BS ever again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Had clunking noise in front end when turning wheel or parking. Took to my mechanic and he said it was the steering coupler which is a known issue in the Sonata. Recommended that I call them and see what they could do for me. Since this was a problem, they extended the warranty to 100,000 miles or ten years. Well of course I had a little over 100,000 miles on my 2012 Sonata. Had to pay 100 times for labor of what the part cost. If it would not have been a safety issue, I would not have replaced it. I feel that since it was a safety issue, Hyundai should have been responsible. My car has mostly highway miles so many parts may last longer than city driving. The warranty on the new part is 1 year or 12,000 miles so guess I may be looking at a different make of car when that time comes.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Bought a new 2018 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited after my 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan broke down after the 10th time but this time out of warranty decided to traded it in instead of fixing the Genesis. The Sonata has had 3 issues, but one has occurred 6 times now. The car has been in the shop 6 times in the past 10 months of owning it, coming around on the 19th day my car has been at the dealer for the since 09/09/19. My cars hybrid systems has issues over and over again, each time they add fluids, replace parts, flush systems. This last time, the 19 days at the dealer, the car was having the same issue but this time a technician drove it home multiple times and had the car hooked up to a tablet. The tablet showed that the cars hybrid system was overheating, the car never once notified the driver about this overheating issues, had to wait for Korea to know how to fix the Sonata.

My car has 35,*** miles on it, had been to the dealer since 6,000 miles with this issue, the computer showed the that the cars hybrid system has been overheating since mile 208. The car is ready for pick up tomorrow 09/30/19. Technician From Hyundai in Korea said to replace the water pump, the computer system, and the radiator cap. They call me Friday and tell me it’s ready to go home. So now I have a car with some new parts, but for 35,000 miles the other parts have been getting damaged.

I called Hyundai customer support about lemon law, they took info and requested service records. Two days go by I talk to a nice lady, explains Hyundai is looking over the info and has approved the LEMON BUYBACK, they would send me over a offer. I get the Lemon buyback offer, they offer me $2000 to keep the vehicle and the other offer was the buy back. All payments refunded, down payment, and Pay off loan. But mileages is at 35k, I’m in the car driving on the highway 3/5 hours a day there’s a mileage fee. The want me to pay $10,500+ for mileage.

I call Hyundai and ask for a better offer, the buy back is way out of the picture, Hyundai would essentially be making another $3,000-$6000 off selling the car again after I paid $11,000. On the phone with the agent, asked if I can have 20% of the msrp of $31,000 or a mileage reduction and help with down payment on a Genesis g70-80 3.3t sport. The reply I got was the same on the buy back, pay the $11,000, or take the increased petty cash of $3000 to keep it, but this was their final offer. I asked if I could get $4000 back and a extend warranty on the car to reinsure the car will be okay, the reply was “Per the review team the final offer is what was sent to you in the revised offer letter,” which was the offer the agent emailed about the $3000.

Hyundai is charging me $10,500+ for mileage. I owed on my Genesis when I traded in so I only had a small down payment at the time, so I would have to pay Hyundai $9,000 for them to take my broken car back. I’m stuck with a certified lemon car that I bought brand new, I will never buy Hyundai again after this. I am going to call tomorrow to a Lemon Lawyer to see what my options are on 10/02/19.

Hyundai Sonata Company Information