Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.86/5
Based on 91 reviews that contain star ratings

Honda Odyssey

The Honda Odyssey is a minvan that was first introduced in 1994. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

133 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Bought a brand new 2018 Elite. Car lost power and returned to dealership service and replaced battery. 16 more times I’ve been back to dealership service department for failed power issues, doors malfunctioning, replaced tuner (twice), transmission surging, brake collision malfunction and DVD malfunction. Honda USA is ignoring my complaints and drop my claims. The dealership said “it’s a waste of time “ to repair my van.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I bought a 2016 Honda Odyssey LX new. At 2900 miles I had an experience where the engine revved at high RPMs while my foot was on the break, pressing hard. I turned it off and turned it on and it revved again so I turned it off. I waited a few minutes and turned it on again and all was OK. The dealer checked it but could find no problem. It happened again last week (12,500 miles), also at a stop sign and required a lot of pressure on the break. I turned it off. When I turned it on it revved again so I turned it off. I tried again after a few minutes and it was OK. I have an appointment to have it looked at by the Honda dealer but my guess is they will not find anything. I have reported the problem to the National Highway traffic safety as I fear this could cause an accident. But for this... I love this car.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I purchased a used 2005 Honda Odyssey EX in 2010. I have loved this van! It has 209,000 miles on it, so I know its time is limited, but I'm having a hard time finding a replacement because I love it so much. PROS: SPACE. When I bought it I had four kids under 12, complete with car seats, strollers, soccer and swim gear, etc. Now my kids range from 21 to 11 and there is still room for all of us; even my 6'2" husband and son can sit comfortably in the third row back seat if needed during long trips. Plenty of head room and leg room!

STORAGE SPACE: My Odyssey has plenty of storage room, but my favorite is a locking storage space in the floor between the front seats and second row captains' chairs, complete with a lazy susan. This has been one of my FAVORITE features of this van. I call it my "hiding place" because I can hide my purse there when I need to and feel that it's safe from prying eyes. We have also stored headphones and the remote for the DVD player there. (DVD player is aftermarket.) NOTE: I've been shopping for a newer Odyssey and am extremely disappointed that my "hiding place" has now been turned into the spare tire storage space. I'm am SO UNHAPPY about this. Besides losing storage space, can you imagine having to get it out while stuck on the road with your kids? "Excuse me kids, while I wrangle this thing out of here!" This is the biggest reason I'm having a hard time finding a newer van.

CUP HOLDERS. Enough for everyone and then some! They are versatile enough to hold virtually any size water bottle. AUTOMATIC SLIDING DOORS: These have been a pro and a con. When they work, they are a pro. But I've had trouble with them working properly in the cold. And now that the van is older, the right door doesn't work at all. I have to turn it to manual to open it at all.

CEILING REAR VENTS and MULTI-ZONE A/C: Besides more space, this is another reason I chose a mini van over a crossover. My sister drives a crossover because she's too cool for a mini van, but her kid is always hot in the back seat because the rear vents are in the center console instead of in the ceiling. I love that my kids can control the rear air and direct the air where they need it. Each passenger has their own vent. Aaahhh... Super cool!

EIGHTH SEAT OPTION: I haven't had to use it too often, but when we've had to carpool, it's been nice to have one extra seat. CONS: AUTOMATIC SLIDING DOORS: (see above). A/C: The A/C is OK, but the A/C in my Ford Windstar was more powerful. Also, my A/C completely died in 2015, which was a $1500 repair. Can't say for sure that was a Honda problem, though. That could happen in any car.

REPAIRS: Over the years, we've repaired/replaced the following: Engine Motor mounts. Shocks/Struts. CV Axles (at about 185,000 miles, the car started vibrating badly at high speeds) A/C. EGR Valve. Power steering leak. Sway bar link. Now it needs new catalytic converters, but haven't replaced them yet. (209,000 miles on this van!)

Original review: July 31, 2018

We bought this 2013 Odyssey new and within the first 20k miles the van developed a shutter when accelerating. We had it reviewed during an oil change, but the mechanics could not duplicate the issue. This progressively became worse, and now the vehicle is almost to the point we don't drive it any longer. Honda suggests we now (currently 130k miles) replace the torque converter at a cost of more than $3k. I called Honda Support, and they are unwilling to extend the coverage despite the fact this is a common issue with the Odyssey (because it's not a safety issue it is not covered as a recall).

Beware of buying an Odyssey, I will not own another Honda minivan. They make great cars, but you will find many forums that will highlight this same issue and that Honda is not fixing the known mechanical issues on this van. Aside from this major issue, it's also not as comfortable as other manufacturers for long drives; Chrysler, Toyota and Nissan are all very good for comfort.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I purchased a 2006 Honda Odyssey from a private owner for 5,000 which first should not have been sold that much. Same night, took to Jiffy Lube to get an oil change. Jiffy Lube said they would not do the change because there was oil everywhere. I called the person I got the car from they were very upset and said, "I'll give you the money back but it has to be TONIGHT." At the time I did not want the money back. I just wanted to know what was going on with the van. And why the sudden rush to return the van THAT NIGHT.

I wish I would have listened. This has been the worst vehicle in my life! Battery, Alternator, Radiator, Gasket, Transmission, Axle, Brakes/Rotors, Oxygen Sensor, all replaced it was an issue week after week. Getting caught on the highway for hours, because van jerked, check engine light, VSA lights, ABS lights would come on. This car must have been in a junk yard then purchased and sold to me. I hated everything about this van...and the fact that the person who sold it, had no concern or even thought to reach out and say ok, I'll help you post and sell it, since that's what they do!, but no I was told IT'S YOUR CAR, pretty much deal with it now, it's not their problem. You live and learn, never purchase a car from a private owner without taking the car to be checked by someone YOU TRUST, NOT their mechanic, because all those things should have been found. I have large family and not having a dependable car was very frustrating.

I don't know what Honda has been thinking but I finally got rid of the car which will end up in an auction the dealer would not even sell it- so whoever gets it from an auction, I hope they know how to fix cars because it's always going to be something with that van. I can truly say I hated the experience with that Honda and I will NEVERRR in my life purchase another Honda, or even deal with a private owner, especially that one. I hope anyone who is looking for a Honda Odyssey, rethink it especially if it's an older model, PLEASE DON'T DO IT!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Odyssey?

Original review: June 21, 2018

My Honda Odyssey is a wonderful vehicle. I can depend on it to get me wherever I needed or want to go. I love it, because I have room for my entire family, camping gear, or anything I want to haul. While I am very happy with my van, they should make the back seat removable and make the spark plug easier to get to. Still, I would buy one again.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Overall, it's been a great experience and the Honda Odyssey has been super reliable for us. I absolutely love the sliding doors! With two small children, it makes getting out of the house so much easier! I love that I can open the side doors or back hatch with the push of a button and the DVD player has been a lifesaver! I love all of the extra room that we have as well and it has been a blessing with my side jobs. Although it is an awesome family car, I wish there was a DVD player for rear facing children's seats so that my youngest could enjoy that feature on long trips, right now we use a portable DVD player to keep him entertained when travelling long distances. My only complaint is quite a bit of rust that is forming below the rear window. We do live in a snow belt area that sees a lot of snow through the winter and the vehicle is a 2009, but I've never had a car rust like this. My husband also has a 2009 (Acura TL) but his car shows no rust so far.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The Honda Odyssey is a wonderful car, perfect for our triplets. We purchased this vehicle when I was pregnant with our triplet girls in April of 2016. I was close to having them and we figured that we were far enough along in viability that we would probably actually be taking home three babies. Not a lot of women who are pregnant with triplets actually come home with three babies. So it was time to purchase a super safe vehicle that would hopefully last us a decade or so. I had a Honda Civic that was eleven years old and still running like a champ so we felt very comfortable and secure with the decision to look at another Honda on this occasion. My husband has worked in the automotive industry for the majority of his life so it was an easy decision to allow him to be the head of this project. He did most of the research and he narrowed it down to about three models but really it was just between the Honda and the Toyota Sienna.

The idea of getting me to the dealership was a whole other issue besides the fact that I had not been able to drive and then the months because I was absolutely enormous. We looked over all of the features together and he went ahead and test drove all of the models himself. Then he reported back to me what he liked and didn't like and since I trusted him very much and he knows me very well, I felt that his opinion of which vehicle would be easier for me after the delivery was probably the best one. And of course he let me choose the color :-). And I love the dark grey color that we chose. We had a lot of money to put down thankfully but the price was still so much more attractive with the Honda. The salespeople were all really really nice at our Honda dealership and they made the experience really simple for us which was important because our lives were extremely stressful and busy at that point.

We just had no idea what day the girls would be arriving and I was practically immobile. When I did finally go into labor, I was about as comfortable as I could be in the passenger seat completely reclined. The price is definitely a good value and we had a good experience at the dealership as well. There are plenty of cup holders and many compartments for whatever you need. The sound system is great and the seat warmers are a nice touch. The recent recall is a bit of a pain in the neck. Other than that, extremely satisfied.

This car also got the best gas mileage out of the vans that we looked at and seemed like a much more economical choice when we made our decision to purchase. I also liked the roominess in the foot areas and the choices we had for the different interiors. Safety features, the backup camera was ideal and the side camera makes a really big difference, especially when I am driving on the freeway. I don't like using the lane departure feature much but my husband does when he drives. However, I do really like the alarm that goes off when I am too close to the car in front of me. That has been very helpful in a few instances when I have been distracted or just sort of zoned out. When you have three toddlers in the car it's not easy to be completely focused on the road unfortunately.

Another feature that is really nice is how simple it is to remove the captain chairs if needed. We have to do this often because our triplets are still required to be rear facing for a few more weeks and we can't fit them three across in the back row rear facing, only front facing. So removing the side captain chair makes it sooo much easier to load and unload the two in the back row. We got a pretty basic model because our kids are still really young so we didn't need a fancy entertainment pack.

The way that the heat and air conditioning system resets every time you turn the car off and the default setting that it turns back on to is kind of a hassle. Maybe it's just a personal preference but I don't really appreciate that I have to re-sync the temperatures every time I turn the car on. I also don't like the fact that it defaults to venting both your feet and your face? I just find that sort of odd and it's also a hassle. I do like the fact that I can sync the back temperature when my children are back there but that I can turn it off if there are adults in the back so that they can have their own temperature control. That is a very nice feature.

I also like that there are numerous vents in the back because I have three children in car seats and car seats can get quite warm especially here in sunny Southern California. So it's nice to know that my children are getting in the air conditioning to be safe and comfortable in the summer and also the heat necessary in the two months that we pretend to have winter here LOL. It would have been nice if the navigation system would have been a little bit more reasonable to purchase. Especially because in California it is super Duper illegal to be on your phone in any capacity while you're driving. So that makes it difficult to use your phone for navigation in lieu of having a navigation installed directly into your vehicle.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought this 2005 Honda Odyssey used in 2007. It replaced a previous Odyssey which had simply aged out. It can carry 8 passengers or a load of farm supplies and I find that this model is the only one that has sufficient knee room under the steering column. It has top notch performance and durability and has given me excellent service with few maintenance problems. Also, it is comfortable and gives pretty good gasoline mileage. The leather upholstery has held up well and I really appreciate the heated driver's seat and seat back. The front passenger seat is also heated. I dislike and do not use the sunroof, but that is simply a matter of personal preference. It would be nice to have charging ports in the rear seats for electronic devices, too.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The Honda Odyssey is pretty good. It's fairly touchy. If it runs out of any fluids it will just break down so you have to be very on top of making sure oil is good and all systems are a-go. Otherwise it will just crap out and die in you. This has happened to me. But I love the spaciousness and leather seats. It does great on gas mileage. It drives smoothly and overall it's a great vehicle. I just wish it had a better sound system. And also, I would improve the finicky operating system and also would change the fact that you need a social computer code to reset the radio and such if the battery dies.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have not had any real issues with the Honda Odyssey besides the heater not working during the winter but that was an easy fix. I picked this model because it was perfect for my family and spacing. The car is very roomy that I can literally stand in it to reach the kids and buckle them in. The back seat flips down, too. However, we have an issue with it not staying lock after being picked up. Also, I would had some storage to the seats and remote control doors. Maybe some tv screening for the back seats would keep the kids busy. The belt also goes bad and makes a lot of noise so make it a bit quieter.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We have the Honda Odyssey minivan and three children with two car seats. We love the space and comfort as well as the built in entertainment system for DVD viewing in the back. Furthermore, we like the leather seats, stop and go, third row seating, navigation system, and back up camera. Furthermore, there is so much space and tons of storage room in the back, also the third row can completely recline forming a bed like platform. It also has good gas mileage. While it is the perfect car for long road trips, I get annoyed by the car doors do not unlock on their own when the car parks so you have to manually unlock the doors before anyone can get out... also the armrests in the driver and passenger seats are a bit awkward.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Odyssey EX - This minivan exceeds my expectations. It handles like a sports car, has the get up and go that you'd need to accelerate to enter the freeway traffic. Good fuel economy, good value.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Everything other than the engine, is going on our 2008 Honda, Odyssey. The engine light stays on, the VSA (braking system) is going. Replacement for that is over $1,000.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Bought this car new and roof had a dent in it made from the inside. Paint had significant water spots that could only be removed by using a buffing machine with a cleaning compound. Also, driver side visor had to be replaced, seat belt holder in rear of car had to have a new fastener replaced, and engine mount problems and transmission tolerances are not set correctly. Kicks in hard when putting in drive. Engine rpm jumps up when put in drive.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2015 Honda Odyssey's seats are very comfortable. But would like a camera in front to show how close you are to handicap poles and anything else in front. Would also like better gas mileage.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Wish Honda Odyssey would have more colors to choose from-- other than black, white, blue, silver. Not so dark colors. They don't show dirt as much. Some pastels would be nice.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Bought this Honda Odyssey for the reliability, many rotor issues, but I chalked that up to "normal". No speakers in third row, so kids have a hard time hearing music/DVDs, trans problems started mid 50k in miles. Software issue Honda doesn't want to pay for if you're out of warranty. Warranty only covers until 60k. Very disappointed. They don't work with their customers on a known issue.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I have a 2015 Honda Odyssey which does not even have 70,000 miles on it, yesterday it started showing a message on the dashboard "check emission" and rattled slightly as I drove it. I took it to the dealership this morning and I was told that the timing is off so they will have to change the timing belt which would cost 1,290 (with $100 coupon 1,190) and also that they need to replace the oil pressure switch even though I just did the service bot too long ago. I think the timing belt which is not supposed to be changed until at least 90,000 miles should be covered by a warranty.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I have a 2016 Honda Odyssey which is the 2nd one I leased (first was a 2012) because I loved it and the safety that provided to me and my wee ones. Last week on Wednesday my daughter and I were driving, and she's still in a car seat as she's a very small 6 yr old, and as I slammed on my brakes to avoid a collision the second row seat which held her car seat unlatched from the floor and flung her (in her car seat) full face into the passenger seat in front of her. She screamed, started crying as she was scared and her face was hurt.

I was in utter shock and disbelief and didn't know how that could happen. Once out of the car, I checked it and sprang it forward and forced it down super hard to hear all the clicks on the floor. All seemed good. Sunday I was driving my son (4 yrs old) home from a play date, and a car cut me off with barely any stopping distance between and slammed on my brakes again. This time it was he who was flung face forward into the back fo the passenger seat. Screaming in pain as he actually hit the top of his head on the metal part of the neck rest which was pulled up for my husband.

Today I open my mail and find there is a safety recall for this EXACT thing! But when I read it and call the number provided, they tell me that there aren't any parts available yet, but will notify me when they are available. UMMM so what do I do to cart my kids around and protect them from facial trauma in $30K vehicle? No one has an answer to that question or even a suggestion as to how they will help. So my view of Honda and this vehicle went from 10 stars to 2 thinking I should give it a 1 to show how sick to my stomach I am about this entire situation.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We bought a used 2008 Honda Odyssey with under 60,000 miles on it for our family of 5. We have only owned it a year, and it has left us stranded several times with an infant. The first incidents were a result of a malfunctioning compressor relay. Today all the electrics died while doing 60mph and the engine shuttered, our speed dropped and it would not accelerate more than a few miles per hour even with the RPMs being over 3,000. Extremely unsafe vehicle that can put you and your family in danger on the highway.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I bought 2018 Odyssey Elite and we paid good $$$... After 1 week I started res system problem and I took it to dealer yesterday and they said as if now Honda don't have any software update so could not fix it until new software update in October so I was so pissed off because that's not our problem. Honda should take care of it and still waiting for resolution... So be watched out before you buy new odyssey 2018 Elite...

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

It going to be my 4 set of tire for just 48k miles on my van. My first set from dealer last 17k miles and alignment with 2nd set and last about 22k miles. 3 set at 39k miles and now I about to my 4 set for just close to 48k miles on my van.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I just purchased a 2017 EX-L Odyssey and am shocked by how much tire noise comes into the cabin. Also the van has a whining noise that is noticeable at 60mph and between 65-70 gets worse to the point that it gives me a headache. I plan on taking it back to the dealer next week but don't expect it to be fixed. If not going to get rid of it since driving it is too annoying.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Van (2010 Honda Odyssey) has 74K miles, seventh (7) set of tires and fourth (4) battery. Honda dealer after Honda dealer, as well as tire dealers and mechanics, laugh when I say it's X number of tires. The tires wear from the inside out, balance/alignments are done to no avail. Inspection is due in the fall, and I am fairly confident, I am looking at another set of four (4) tires. Oh joy (said no one ever!).

On to battery, from the get-go, I have had electric issues, I'd come out from work at midnight to a dead battery, get a jump, I'm good for some time. But then WHAM! it wouldn't hold a charge. Back to dealers I go. Leave work tonight, no lights on. Off I go to take kids to practice and the battery light appears, rain coming down in buckets, but the battery is so low, the wipers are not moving as they should; all power sources are OFF at this point. When I finally make it home, open the hood to find the corrosion galore. I'm so over this car. I purposely bought a Honda as I figured if I need a van, I want a top-rated one. Well, I certainly learned my lesson. Any additional suggestions or comments are welcome. And to note, I come from a car/mechanic family, but even this is beyond those folks.:-(

Original review: June 12, 2017

Like Michael, Marla and Karen below, our issue is with the darned doors! Overall the Odyssey is a great vehicle, but the faulty automatic door mechanism is such a huge safety hazard! Not only are both doors on my own vehicle now defective, but almost every other Odyssey owner I run into reports having the same problem. The mechanic at the Honda dealership who removed the mechanism from the passenger side door for us said he has had more than one instance of the doors falling off on people trying to get their kids out of the car, which scares the bejeezus out of me every time I find myself having to force the door open myself!

At the moment our driver's side door is frozen shut, and I won't allow my kids to touch it... They're getting in and out through the passenger side (since there's no more auto mechanism on that side) and I have to buckle my four year old into his car seat through the window. I resent having to pay money to fix this issue. It's a big safety issue and there should have been a recall on this model years ago! Toyota did the right thing by recalling the automatic door system on the Sienna for the same reason... I guess Toyota cares more about their customers being squished by falling doors or being trapped in an accident more than Honda does. Next time perhaps we'll go with a Toyota.

Original review: April 26, 2017

Purchased a used 2007 Honda Odyssey. Had it less than a year and have put over $2,500 worth of work... Brand new tires (4) and one used, struts, brakes, mounts, batteries (3), alternator, fan and massive issues with electrical work. Unfortunately, Honda isn't holding up to its standard. I purchased the vehicle to fit the needs of my family, sadly it was short lived. Currently, without a vehicle, but definitely will not be purchasing another Honda.

Original review: July 26, 2016

Honda Odyssey has come to slip on quality - perhaps since their move from Japan to Canada or other. On my 2004 Odyssey vehicle, a number of issues were seen to-date including - engine mounts to have gone bad, gears don't engage past 3 miles of driving and a number of other components to have simply gone dysfunctional. Gear disengage and loss of power during driving is a major safety issue and with users at large of Honda vehicles in general, experiencing the transmission related issues, the quality of Honda vehicles was seen to have degraded over the past 15 years whereas, prior to that, the quality of the vehicles was noted to be superior.

Seems like the company to have given into early gain/savings temptation with certain compromise on quality of parts and function while passing related burden/cost downstream to its consumer base. Needless to say if gone unaddressed, this will lead traditional Honda loyal customers to shift their purchases to other manufacturers, over time.

Original review: March 25, 2016

We knew of Odyssey transmission issues and had one replaced in our 2001 with a Honda transmission/Honda Mechanic. Two years later it suddenly went out again. We replaced it and sold it as fast as we could. Now that we have switched to another van we realize that the noise level in Odysseys' is very high.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I brought 2002 Honda Odyssey to Cupertino Honda for recall service. Dealer replaced both driver and passenger airbag. After about 500 miles driving RED SRS lights came and stuck in RED forever. I prefer to have air bags that explodes with shrapnels rather than the defective air bags. It has been plagued so many defectives: transmission replaced at 67000 Miles and now at 120000 Miles, it started slipping again. This will be my last Honda.

Honda Odyssey Company Information