Honda Odyssey

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Honda Odyssey has come to slip on quality - perhaps since their move from Japan to Canada or other. On my 2004 Odyssey vehicle, a number of issues were seen to-date including - engine mounts to have gone bad, gears don't engage past 3 miles of driving and a number of other components to have simply gone dysfunctional. Gear disengage and loss of power during driving is a major safety issue and with users at large of Honda vehicles in general, experiencing the transmission related issues, the quality of Honda vehicles was seen to have degraded over the past 15 years whereas, prior to that, the quality of the vehicles was noted to be superior.

Seems like the company to have given into early gain/savings temptation with certain compromise on quality of parts and function while passing related burden/cost downstream to its consumer base. Needless to say if gone unaddressed, this will lead traditional Honda loyal customers to shift their purchases to other manufacturers, over time.

We knew of Odyssey transmission issues and had one replaced in our 2001 with a Honda transmission/Honda Mechanic. Two years later it suddenly went out again. We replaced it and sold it as fast as we could. Now that we have switched to another van we realize that the noise level in Odysseys' is very high.

I brought 2002 Honda Odyssey to Cupertino Honda for recall service. Dealer replaced both driver and passenger airbag. After about 500 miles driving RED SRS lights came and stuck in RED forever. I prefer to have air bags that explodes with shrapnels rather than the defective air bags. It has been plagued so many defectives: transmission replaced at 67000 Miles and now at 120000 Miles, it started slipping again. This will be my last Honda.

I recently purchased a Honda van from AutoNation Miami Lakes and after a week noticed that there is a paint issue on the door while cleaning the car and immediately reported to American Honda and they told me to work with the dealer. I went to the dealer and they told me that it's a manufacturing issue and they can't help me with this. The Honda representative looked at it and they gave me the option of body shop and repaint that whole area. They are not guaranteeing that the issue will not reappear in future or it will be completely fixed. Honda manager told me on the phone that the third party will fix this and if not fixed well, they will redo the same thing. This is my first new car purchase and I am not at all happy with this option of sending this new car to a body shop to repaint and live with that in mind. I tried to get the better options but they never gave me any other option and my family is completely upset with this new purchase in 2016.

Finally I decided to trade in with the same dealer for other new Van and paid extra $4500 to take this issue out of my mind. Overall our Honda experience is not at all good and we have suffered a lot with this issue. I am surprised how this issue is not noticed through the Honda Manufacturing inspection and I am facing the problem at the end of the day losing more money.

We bought a 2007 Honda Odyssey new. First our power steering pump failed and they said it was not covered and there were no known problems. Later the second one had problems as well. A mechanic who worked at Honda said it was a problem. We had a problem with spark plug number 5. Doesn't stay tight and causes a problem with allowing raw fuel to carbon up. Many thousands to fix. Problems with automatic sliding doors and causes door latch to fail. Door closes and pops back open. Air bag light comes on and would cause about $1500. To fix. The mechanic said to get rid of it or drive it until it drops in a month or less. Main reason I chose it was for the 8 passenger seating. Would NOT buy another Honda. Replaced it with a Dodge Caravan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

2012 Honda Odyssey problems. Bought the van new with extended warranty ~$37k. Since that time had 1 recall for airbag problem. Noticed clicking while turning and Honda replaced left front shock housing and tightened right one. At 36,034 miles the power steering pump went bad. Dealer refused to cover under 36k warranty. So we paid deductible on our 3rd party warranty. Now at 39000 miles the engine light and traction control light came on. Imagine my surprise to find out the van was burning oil leading to premature wear of the piston rings! My 3yr van is in the shop for a complete rebuild.

Honda is covering it this time under an agreement from a previous lawsuit. I guess this is a well-known problem. I am likely to sell the van as soon as I get it back. Wish I would have read these reviews instead of all the others that said the Honda Odyssey was the best minivan. At least no one was hurt in our case. Just lost confidence in Honda. Never again.

I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey with only 27K miles on it, and was told that I must replace my tires, that they are in the "danger zone"; I kept thinking "How is this possible?" According to tire manufacturers and the like have stated that tires especially dealer bought tires should last 50K. So at the tune of $690 they are insistent that I replace them before my lease is up. Disgusted by the poor quality items they are choosing to use at the customer's expense. Oh this is all only 1 week after my battery died, on a 2 year old car!

I only have about 55,500 miles on my 2008 Odyssey Touring van. Paint is coming off at the sunroof, tailgate, sliding doors, and hood. Clear coat is gone and paint is completely off down to the metal. My husband and I have complained to the dealership we bought it from and basically were laughed at when we said Honda should be responsible since this has to be a factory issue. I have seen many other Odysseys - white, same year, with exact same paint coming off in the exact same areas. You can't tell me that is a coincidence. I've taken it to a few body shops and they said with as little miles and as in good shape my van is in, the paint should absolutely not be coming off!

They suggested that I call Honda, USA. I see here that many others have, to no avail. So frustrated that when you spend over $40,000 on a vehicle, you do not expect this poor quality from the factory paint job. Some of the body shops said it looks as though it was done as one stage paint. Honda should take responsibility and pay for it to be repainted with base coat, clear coat two stage paint! GRR!

Honda Odyssey 2004xe - The van is running very well but the abs light stays on. Request for repair. The company does not have the parts. Next the sliding switch is going bad. What's the price for the electrical switch. Thank you!

When we bought 07 Odyssey in Feb 2011 with 40K, we initially noticed a passenger side sliding back door was not aligned right and you could see light and hear wind when you drove. Due to the fact I was due with child number 3 in June, this was a very important issue. We had the van in and out of the dealership for about 3 months to try and fix this problem. Finally the collision center of the dealership was able to get it back into place. This car showed no accidents on the report.

We have had an alignment issue on this van as well. Even after realigning within days it is knocked out of place again. How is that possible? Beyond all the recalls we have had to do, we have also had the battery die on us multiple times. We changed out the battery per dealership, and the problem still continued. Seemed to be some electrical issue. Van is now at 120K and I am now experiencing a knocking issue in the engine. Not something you want to hear when this is your main family vehicle. I have not taken it in to the dealership, but as I have no warranty on this car any longer, I am sure it will be in the thousands to fix. This is the one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned. I have never had so many recalls on a car and so many issues.

I have a 2012 Odyssey EX-L that has 47K on it and have the rotors already warp 2x! Now I am getting a brake job and both front and rear pad and rotors are needing to be replaced to the tune of $780!!! This is a KNOWN issue with these vans as Honda put braking systems that are way too small for such a large vehicle. Honda KNOWS their equipment does not meet the braking needs for the vans yet they keep on doing so letting their customers bear the financial hardship. We have owned an Accord, an Acura RSX-S, a Shadow, and a CBR 600RR and I have never had this issue with my older Hondas. I have also had a Subaru Outback with about 120K -- NEVER A PROBLEM. And a POS Ford F150 and up until the day it died with 125K it NEVER had this issue. Honda needs to STEP UP and produce vehicles of the same quality as they used to.

On Monday, June 15, 2015 I picked up my recently repaired 2012 Honda Odyssey. There was knocking noise in the front suspension. Tech said many Odyssey's have a problem with that. When test driving found other problems with rack and pinion drive and left axle. Result, over $2000.00 repair bill. Except for about $300.00 to replace brake pads it all was for parts and labor on suspension. The van only has 50,000 miles on it and does not get driven on rough roads etc. The bill was higher at first, but when I balked and asked for a discount I did get a $200.00 discount. If Honda knew about these design problems why don't they cover costs. Dealer said to talk to Honda about that, which I have been doing with little results. So beware Honda Odyssey owners. It could be you next time.

I had a 2013 Honda Odyssey. Today I pulled into my drive and noticed smoke coming from under the hood. Within 2 minutes, flames were coming out from under the hood and the paint was bubbling. I do not know if a prior symptom was related, but I had several problems with being able to remove the ignition key. I started smelling something like burning wood right before the fire. I believe the Honda is now a total loss.

Honda Odyssey 2015 Touring. This is my 5th Odyssey. (2013/2011/2009/2003). You can tell we did love the car. Got the car 04/15/15 - with 04 miles. On 05/05/15 at 994 miles while driving on the highway slow down with the traffic, when started pick up the speed 15-20 mph, loud thumping and hard jerking with no power to propel the vehicle forward - was able to get off the highway and taking to the local streets. Every time at about 15-17 MPH, when 2nd gear should engage - loud thumping with jerking and some loss of driving powers. Stopped, turned off the engine, open the hood - check for leaks and other abnormalities - none was found.

Called Honda USA (dealer was closed for the day) - they recommended that I take it to the service department for inspection. Drove it home with the same transmission performance (thumping and all). Next day took it to the dealer. They did not find anything out of order, all of the computer codes and such was totally normal - transmission was driving perfectly normal - head tech did the software update for the transmission. So far had no issues. I will update on the progress. But would definitely recommend getting familiar with lemon law in your area. However had a very good 12 years with Honda Odyssey's so far...

I purchase a brand new 2012 Honda Odyssey from the above mentioned dealer. Since then I had to replace the back brakes. It had 2 recalls and now at 71,000 miles. I had to pay for timing belt tensioner and a new water pump, because they were both leaking, I was told. I had a 1999 Odyssey for almost 10 years and never changed a water pump or timing belt. I am dissatisfied that a brand new van could cost me close to $3000 already. I believe that either they are not making the new van to last or the dealers are "creating problems" when you take it in for service maintenance to get money. These are some of the problem I am still having: 1. There is a noise like air coming through the windows when I go over 40 miles per hour. 2. There is a noise on the driver's side when I turn, it sounds like a rubber band stretching (they said that would wear with time, still there). I used to stand by Honda, now I have to rethink that.

I am first owner of 2001 Honda Odyssey van. We are not happy with transmission. It was rebuilt at 80,000 miles and again failed at 110,000. As per Honda dealer, we are out of warranty. I want to sell this. I got offer of was $300.00. This is our last Honda.

The paint has been coming off in chunks on my 2006 Honda Odyssey since 2009. Never received any bulletin and took the van to the dealer for various issues since new, and was never informed about a warranty claim on the paint, even though I showed it to several different dealers. Honda would not cover it as my official complaint to the headquarters was after the extended warranty. Now the driver's side door actually falls off my car on the roller end when I opened it. Honda as a company is terrible and has terrible products that they do not stand behind. I DO NOT recommend Honda cars to anyone, so beware of the terrible products that they sell!!!

Today February 28, 2015 at 1:00pm, my 2007 Honda Odyssey got fire under the hood like nothing. I almost lost my three children because it happen so fast that I had to pull over the road. My oldest son was the hero who helped me to take out my two youngest ones. Honda have to take care of this issue as soon as possible. People can really get hurt, if no one complained about it.

2007 Honda Odyssey engine failed at 100K due to spark plug. Honda unwilling to offer reasonable assistance. Requesting further diagnostic work at $530+ at my expense before will discuss possible offer to help. Minimum of $4600 to repair, $7700 if must replace entire engine.

I have owned 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring. Bought it in March 2012 then sold it in Oct. 2014. I had the vehicle for 30 months with 68,000 miles. Things went bad before 36,000 miles... during and right after the warranty period. Forced to buy extended warranty. Not too impressed with quality. What are the problems?

@ 10 miles: CD/DVD (RES) restarts when the ignition switch is turned OFF/ON. For examples: Vehicle been parked for sometimes... whether with key ignition switch is (ON or OFF) or even without key inserted in, open door, turn "ON" any type of switches. With that being said... it causes the CD/DVD player to restart the disc, loud and clear that you could hear its spinning. Better yet! While sitting inside my vehicle then arm "turn on security alarm", exactly every 5 minutes you could hear the CD/DVD player to restart the disc. I contact authorized Honda dealer for an appointment and they refused to fix it. I was told because other brand new vehicles doing the same thing too.

@ Around 10,000 miles: Front suspension creaking sounds in the front while turning at low speeds or crossed over the railroad tracks. Authorized Honda dealer refused to fix it and that is normal. @ Around 10,000 miles: Wind noise from the front driver and passenger door(s). Authorized Honda dealer refused to fix it and that is normal. @ Around 15,000 miles: Auto sliding doors problems. 1st Winter 2012 took a trip to Arches National Park, parked on snow un-even surface, either sling door(s) jam/stuck opened. Summertime sliding door rails leaking fluids. Half of the times the sliding latches making loud popping sounds when opened.

@ Around 40,000 miles: Battery is dead. Bought a DieHard battery from Sears $135. @ Around 45,000 miles: Replaced rear shock absorbers with Monroe brand, each contain "NO" pressurized nitrogen gas in them, and as the hydraulic leaks. Easily pushed by the two fingers. @ Around 60,000 miles: Front suspensions making noise. @ Around 60,000 miles: Driver side seat heater gone bad. Stay on for 30 seconds.

@ Around 65,000 miles: Tie rod ends. Driver side outer CV Boot and passenger side inner CV Boot leaks. Couldn't find aftermarket parts. Both leaks "NOT" because they have holes in them, or tears and wears out. It leaks because CV Boot clamps overtime become loose, a loose CV Boot clamps would "NOT" stay tight. Dealer wanted $299 per side for leaking CV Boot - repack and clamp service items. To replace completed both sides, tie rod ends with PV Boots, dealer wanted for $890. @ Around 68,000 miles: Second and third row seats making rattling noise, both sliding doors keep jamming, 5th door won't open or close properly. Too many things kept going wrong I had to let it go.

As far for 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring with 68,000 miles vehicle value goes. Sold on Oct 2014 after 30 months... Honda dealership wanted for $19,500, CarMax bought it for $23,000. Oct 2014 we bought a 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE with Navigation for $37,000 including 6 years or 100,000 miles Platinum Extended Warranty. We very happy with it, so far we can tell you that our 2015 Sienna van has better, higher quality vs. the Honda Odyssey.

I've owned two Hondas before this. The first a 1988 Accord LX, I put almost 250,000 miles on it and other than normal maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes, plugs, wires, cap) I literally had to do nothing on it. At 240,000, I had to replace the starter. It was a Standard 5 speed and never had to replace the clutch (Which pretty much shows how gentle I am on cars.)

Now, 2004 Odyssey LX with a multitude of problems. Around 60,000 miles, needed to start replacing motor mounts. The sliding center doors started becoming a problem to open after 50,000 miles. The rear electric vent windows stopped opening at around 50,000 miles. The transmission (a known problem that Honda refuses to acknowledge) burned up at 125,000 miles (a $4,000 replacement at a Honda dealership out of town, since I was traveling.)

A year later, when I had the vehicle inspected, I was told by my local dealership that the transmission mount bolts were missing. Huh!!!! Initially they quoted me a price of $150 to replace them, until I put up a hissy fit that the transmission was replaced a year prior by a Honda dealership. Pretty much all the lights on the center dashboard have burned out (radio, clock, heater controls.) After 70,000 miles the shift lever has constantly begun sticking, precipitating sticking a key in the lock removal on many occasions.

I have 164,000 miles on the van now and have needed to replace the battery 4 times. And just now went out to start the vehicle, and it appears the starter (or solenoid) needs replacing. Now, I expect that vehicles need to be maintained and parts replaced, but this... is really just too much. I'm now at over 1,400 letter character count on this comment and they say the recommended minimum is 200. Obviously they've never owned a Honda Odyssey.

We bought our 07 Odyssey in the spring of 2014 and it was working great. 1 month ago, just heading out across town, smoke starts pouring out from under the hood and from underneath out the back. After stopping and checking things out, it was discovered that a small hose had burst and as antifreeze was added to the radiator, it would leak out. I replaced the hose and it appeared to all work fine. 1 week later - another hose right next to the first burst with the same smokey results. This was replaced and then the car was taken to the mechanic. They said the head gasket needed replaced - $2000.

I took to a 2nd garage and they checked it out and found oil all throughout the engine - Oil in the Antifreeze - but not visa versa. They said rather than spend more money on just the gasket, they recommended replacing the Engine - $5000. We just got it back and now all the controls and horn on the steering wheel don't function. The Airbag warning light is also on. VERY DISAPPOINTED with Honda. We have had a 2002 Astro that hasn't had any issue compared to this! I thought Honda was quality. Now I am thinking....NOT!

2008 Honda Odyssey - End of September - Early October, my family and I were en route from VA to NY to attend my father-in-law's funeral that evening. Things were as normal with the van until near Aberdeen, MD, when the van began to 'rumble' and the check engine light came on. There was also a loss of power, and when I throttled to increase speed the car rumbled even more. Basically, the van felt like it was misfiring.

The issue occurred just after a rest area on I-95 N. I turned off the engine for a bit because I knew we were dealing with a problem. We decided to ride to nearest exit and locate a mechanic. We found one who immediately identified the cause: cylinder 5's (front of engine) spark plug was loose and was blowing combustion through and melted the coil. The mechanic ordered a new coil and plug and installed the new parts. We were off again. The van seemed to run normally...

We had the same issue again, this time about 1 hour later, near Barrington NJ. Again, we were fortunate to find a mechanic who was as honest as they come (John's Auto Service). After he looked into the situation, he determined the cylinder head needed replacing (he showed me using a camera). Cylinder 5 was the source of the problem again! This time there was no longer any threading for the plug and the opening itself was pretty much melted away due to the heat from the combustion. The new parts that were installed were also severely damaged, worse than the first instance. In the end we left the van with the mechanic because we had no other alternative. We rented a car and continued to NY to get to the funeral.

Fast forward: After $3.3K later, we submitted our expenses to the Honda Dealership and are waiting to hear back from them on whether they will pay for any of the expenses. To be clear: We did standard oil changes and took the van in for recall related reasons, so we did our part to maintain the car. The plugs did not need changing based on manufacturer recommendation. This suggests either a manufacturer defect existed, or the dealership failed to do their due diligence when they sold us the vehicle.

We bought the van used and still have 3 years left on the note! I'm so disappointed because I expected more from the product than this. I will never buy another Honda again. I feel they're just interested in producing sub par products now in the interest of bottom line and shareholders. I will also not recommend and will let friends and family know not to buy a Honda as well. Stay away from them at all costs!

The warranty company is another major problem for us because they don't want to accept responsibility either (they technically don't have to do anything but it's just wrong that we have been left with no recourse). Other details: Van was bought used. An extended warranty was purchased. While the van was in my hometown it was within warranty (miles and years). Where the van broke down (approx. 220 miles later), it exceeded coverage. We never changed the plugs, yet something caused the plug to loosen and fail. The warranty company essentially said Honda is aware there's a 'problem' with the engine but Honda isn't acknowledging it; they're preferring to stick with the standard 'recall' ** instead. Honda is also blaming us for not taking it to one of their dealerships (like we had any control over where we broke down, not to mention a Honda warranty was not in effect). We currently have a case open with Honda to see what they will do about this situation; I'm not hopeful to say the least

3 am in morning my husband is driving to VA, smells smoke from his driver's seat, pulls over after seeing flames coming from the back of the seat, not seeing the ditch, rolls the van with our kids in it. I am being told that this has NEVER been an issue with Odyssey. Has anyone else, besides Pilot owners, experienced this fire problem?

I shopped for minivans and tried everything used for under 10K. The Honda was the biggest, most solid, had the best options and were consistently in the best shape compared to Toyota and Dodge/Chrysler vans. I still think they may make the best minivan although I will never own one again. I bought a 2006 with 90K miles for about 10K. After owning it a week the battery died. The replacement battery worked great for a week. Then the starter died. The starter was replaced then after a 10 minute drive home I parked the car and went inside. Minutes later the van was on fire and the whole engine burned up. The van is a loss. So who knows what happened. No one. The van had something going on with the electrical system that caused the fire. Anyway, like I said I still think they are great vans but beware when yours starts to have starting issues.

I have read other Odyssey owners with the same issues! Driving home from Cape May on the Garden State Parkway, doing 70mph our Honda's dash signals all started flashing, the radio cut off the DVR cut off etc. This continued constant flashing and then the speedometer dropped from 70 to 0 with a slight shudder and then nothing. It was almost like the computer was going through a cycle and then re-setting while driving. It was the scary, I didn't know if the car was going to die on me or what.

We were lucky enough to make it back to our dealership who looked at it for two days. The error code they got was pointing at a "failure to communicate" error. They re-booted the computer systems, charged us $115 bucks and told us all was well. 2 weeks later my dash warning lights are flashing again....I called Honda USA and basically they told me to bring it back to the dealership. These companies care more about their bottom lines than the lives of your precious families. Don't buy from Honda!

Just as the others experienced... HUGE areas of paint all over the van peeling off. These areas had never been scratched or even touched - just spontaneously peeling in large chunks! The Honda service lady initially was sympathetic to my situation and agreed that this would be indeed concerning. Then, after returning to the line a couple minutes later, simply said that the warranty had expired (only 7 years paint coverage) & there was nothing she could do but note my complaint. Honda *does* know this is a fault in their paint, and isn't standing behind their reputation of selling cars that last. NO CAR should have its paint spontaneously FALL OFF.

I bought about Month Ago and it has Less than 1000 Miles, and now I have transmission and Right side sliding door and back door issue. I called Dealer. They said bring in - our service dept will take a look at. Until then no car from them. Can I return Odyssey and get Full Refund. I am really disappointed. Honda is selling bad product and charging $48,500 and our govt not for us to help. Our senators and congressman are for big corporation.

The driver-side power sliding door on my '02 Odyssey stopped working several years ago. I was told it was the motor and elected not to fix it since I could open/close manually. For the past few years, I've had a constant battery drain, having to jump the battery a few times a week. My mechanic identified the problem to the fueling-door power release. Once he disconnected this, the power door was operating for the first time in 5+ years! Now, after 6 months of having my sliding door operating again, a new problem has appeared: the power door opens itself while I'm driving! It now also won't lock appropriately, no matter what I try. And, yes, I've also had the common transmission problems as well.

I bought my 2005 Honda Odyssey in February 2014. Since then I have had to buy a new battery, new battery cable, and most recently replace the PGMI relay. This morning dead battery. I don't know what else it could be. I turn off the interior lights, make sure nothing is on when I turn the vehicle is off (radio, lights, AC etc.). I'm so frustrated.

Honda Odyssey Company Profile