1.45/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: Feb. 14, 2018

115 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I have a 2015 Honda Odyssey which does not even have 70,000 miles on it, yesterday it started showing a message on the dashboard "check emission" and rattled slightly as I drove it. I took it to the dealership this morning and I was told that the timing is off so they will have to change the timing belt which would cost 1,290 (with $100 coupon 1,190) and also that they need to replace the oil pressure switch even though I just did the service bot too long ago. I think the timing belt which is not supposed to be changed until at least 90,000 miles should be covered by a warranty.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I have a 2016 Honda Odyssey which is the 2nd one I leased (first was a 2012) because I loved it and the safety that provided to me and my wee ones. Last week on Wednesday my daughter and I were driving, and she's still in a car seat as she's a very small 6 yr old, and as I slammed on my brakes to avoid a collision the second row seat which held her car seat unlatched from the floor and flung her (in her car seat) full face into the passenger seat in front of her. She screamed, started crying as she was scared and her face was hurt.

I was in utter shock and disbelief and didn't know how that could happen. Once out of the car, I checked it and sprang it forward and forced it down super hard to hear all the clicks on the floor. All seemed good. Sunday I was driving my son (4 yrs old) home from a play date, and a car cut me off with barely any stopping distance between and slammed on my brakes again. This time it was he who was flung face forward into the back fo the passenger seat. Screaming in pain as he actually hit the top of his head on the metal part of the neck rest which was pulled up for my husband.

Today I open my mail and find there is a safety recall for this EXACT thing! But when I read it and call the number provided, they tell me that there aren't any parts available yet, but will notify me when they are available. UMMM so what do I do to cart my kids around and protect them from facial trauma in $30K vehicle? No one has an answer to that question or even a suggestion as to how they will help. So my view of Honda and this vehicle went from 10 stars to 2 thinking I should give it a 1 to show how sick to my stomach I am about this entire situation.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We bought a used 2008 Honda Odyssey with under 60,000 miles on it for our family of 5. We have only owned it a year, and it has left us stranded several times with an infant. The first incidents were a result of a malfunctioning compressor relay. Today all the electrics died while doing 60mph and the engine shuttered, our speed dropped and it would not accelerate more than a few miles per hour even with the RPMs being over 3,000. Extremely unsafe vehicle that can put you and your family in danger on the highway.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I bought 2018 Odyssey Elite and we paid good $$$... After 1 week I started res system problem and I took it to dealer yesterday and they said as if now Honda don't have any software update so could not fix it until new software update in October so I was so pissed off because that's not our problem. Honda should take care of it and still waiting for resolution... So be watched out before you buy new odyssey 2018 Elite...

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

It going to be my 4 set of tire for just 48k miles on my van. My first set from dealer last 17k miles and alignment with 2nd set and last about 22k miles. 3 set at 39k miles and now I about to my 4 set for just close to 48k miles on my van.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: July 21, 2017

I just purchased a 2017 EX-L Odyssey and am shocked by how much tire noise comes into the cabin. Also the van has a whining noise that is noticeable at 60mph and between 65-70 gets worse to the point that it gives me a headache. I plan on taking it back to the dealer next week but don't expect it to be fixed. If not going to get rid of it since driving it is too annoying.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Van (2010 Honda Odyssey) has 74K miles, seventh (7) set of tires and fourth (4) battery. Honda dealer after Honda dealer, as well as tire dealers and mechanics, laugh when I say it's X number of tires. The tires wear from the inside out, balance/alignments are done to no avail. Inspection is due in the fall, and I am fairly confident, I am looking at another set of four (4) tires. Oh joy (said no one ever!).

On to battery, from the get-go, I have had electric issues, I'd come out from work at midnight to a dead battery, get a jump, I'm good for some time. But then WHAM! it wouldn't hold a charge. Back to dealers I go. Leave work tonight, no lights on. Off I go to take kids to practice and the battery light appears, rain coming down in buckets, but the battery is so low, the wipers are not moving as they should; all power sources are OFF at this point. When I finally make it home, open the hood to find the corrosion galore. I'm so over this car. I purposely bought a Honda as I figured if I need a van, I want a top-rated one. Well, I certainly learned my lesson. Any additional suggestions or comments are welcome. And to note, I come from a car/mechanic family, but even this is beyond those folks.:-(

Original review: June 12, 2017

Like Michael, Marla and Karen below, our issue is with the darned doors! Overall the Odyssey is a great vehicle, but the faulty automatic door mechanism is such a huge safety hazard! Not only are both doors on my own vehicle now defective, but almost every other Odyssey owner I run into reports having the same problem. The mechanic at the Honda dealership who removed the mechanism from the passenger side door for us said he has had more than one instance of the doors falling off on people trying to get their kids out of the car, which scares the bejeezus out of me every time I find myself having to force the door open myself!

At the moment our driver's side door is frozen shut, and I won't allow my kids to touch it... They're getting in and out through the passenger side (since there's no more auto mechanism on that side) and I have to buckle my four year old into his car seat through the window. I resent having to pay money to fix this issue. It's a big safety issue and there should have been a recall on this model years ago! Toyota did the right thing by recalling the automatic door system on the Sienna for the same reason... I guess Toyota cares more about their customers being squished by falling doors or being trapped in an accident more than Honda does. Next time perhaps we'll go with a Toyota.

Original review: April 26, 2017

Purchased a used 2007 Honda Odyssey. Had it less than a year and have put over $2,500 worth of work... Brand new tires (4) and one used, struts, brakes, mounts, batteries (3), alternator, fan and massive issues with electrical work. Unfortunately, Honda isn't holding up to its standard. I purchased the vehicle to fit the needs of my family, sadly it was short lived. Currently, without a vehicle, but definitely will not be purchasing another Honda.

Original review: July 26, 2016

Honda Odyssey has come to slip on quality - perhaps since their move from Japan to Canada or other. On my 2004 Odyssey vehicle, a number of issues were seen to-date including - engine mounts to have gone bad, gears don't engage past 3 miles of driving and a number of other components to have simply gone dysfunctional. Gear disengage and loss of power during driving is a major safety issue and with users at large of Honda vehicles in general, experiencing the transmission related issues, the quality of Honda vehicles was seen to have degraded over the past 15 years whereas, prior to that, the quality of the vehicles was noted to be superior.

Seems like the company to have given into early gain/savings temptation with certain compromise on quality of parts and function while passing related burden/cost downstream to its consumer base. Needless to say if gone unaddressed, this will lead traditional Honda loyal customers to shift their purchases to other manufacturers, over time.

Original review: March 25, 2016

We knew of Odyssey transmission issues and had one replaced in our 2001 with a Honda transmission/Honda Mechanic. Two years later it suddenly went out again. We replaced it and sold it as fast as we could. Now that we have switched to another van we realize that the noise level in Odysseys' is very high.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I brought 2002 Honda Odyssey to Cupertino Honda for recall service. Dealer replaced both driver and passenger airbag. After about 500 miles driving RED SRS lights came and stuck in RED forever. I prefer to have air bags that explodes with shrapnels rather than the defective air bags. It has been plagued so many defectives: transmission replaced at 67000 Miles and now at 120000 Miles, it started slipping again. This will be my last Honda.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

I recently purchased a Honda van from AutoNation Miami Lakes and after a week noticed that there is a paint issue on the door while cleaning the car and immediately reported to American Honda and they told me to work with the dealer. I went to the dealer and they told me that it's a manufacturing issue and they can't help me with this. The Honda representative looked at it and they gave me the option of body shop and repaint that whole area. They are not guaranteeing that the issue will not reappear in future or it will be completely fixed. Honda manager told me on the phone that the third party will fix this and if not fixed well, they will redo the same thing. This is my first new car purchase and I am not at all happy with this option of sending this new car to a body shop to repaint and live with that in mind. I tried to get the better options but they never gave me any other option and my family is completely upset with this new purchase in 2016.

Finally I decided to trade in with the same dealer for other new Van and paid extra $4500 to take this issue out of my mind. Overall our Honda experience is not at all good and we have suffered a lot with this issue. I am surprised how this issue is not noticed through the Honda Manufacturing inspection and I am facing the problem at the end of the day losing more money.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

We bought a 2007 Honda Odyssey new. First our power steering pump failed and they said it was not covered and there were no known problems. Later the second one had problems as well. A mechanic who worked at Honda said it was a problem. We had a problem with spark plug number 5. Doesn't stay tight and causes a problem with allowing raw fuel to carbon up. Many thousands to fix. Problems with automatic sliding doors and causes door latch to fail. Door closes and pops back open. Air bag light comes on and would cause about $1500. To fix. The mechanic said to get rid of it or drive it until it drops in a month or less. Main reason I chose it was for the 8 passenger seating. Would NOT buy another Honda. Replaced it with a Dodge Caravan.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2015

2012 Honda Odyssey problems. Bought the van new with extended warranty ~$37k. Since that time had 1 recall for airbag problem. Noticed clicking while turning and Honda replaced left front shock housing and tightened right one. At 36,034 miles the power steering pump went bad. Dealer refused to cover under 36k warranty. So we paid deductible on our 3rd party warranty. Now at 39000 miles the engine light and traction control light came on. Imagine my surprise to find out the van was burning oil leading to premature wear of the piston rings! My 3yr van is in the shop for a complete rebuild.

Honda is covering it this time under an agreement from a previous lawsuit. I guess this is a well-known problem. I am likely to sell the van as soon as I get it back. Wish I would have read these reviews instead of all the others that said the Honda Odyssey was the best minivan. At least no one was hurt in our case. Just lost confidence in Honda. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey with only 27K miles on it, and was told that I must replace my tires, that they are in the "danger zone"; I kept thinking "How is this possible?" According to tire manufacturers and the like have stated that tires especially dealer bought tires should last 50K. So at the tune of $690 they are insistent that I replace them before my lease is up. Disgusted by the poor quality items they are choosing to use at the customer's expense. Oh this is all only 1 week after my battery died, on a 2 year old car!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2015

I only have about 55,500 miles on my 2008 Odyssey Touring van. Paint is coming off at the sunroof, tailgate, sliding doors, and hood. Clear coat is gone and paint is completely off down to the metal. My husband and I have complained to the dealership we bought it from and basically were laughed at when we said Honda should be responsible since this has to be a factory issue. I have seen many other Odysseys - white, same year, with exact same paint coming off in the exact same areas. You can't tell me that is a coincidence. I've taken it to a few body shops and they said with as little miles and as in good shape my van is in, the paint should absolutely not be coming off!

They suggested that I call Honda, USA. I see here that many others have, to no avail. So frustrated that when you spend over $40,000 on a vehicle, you do not expect this poor quality from the factory paint job. Some of the body shops said it looks as though it was done as one stage paint. Honda should take responsibility and pay for it to be repainted with base coat, clear coat two stage paint! GRR!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2015

Honda Odyssey 2004xe - The van is running very well but the abs light stays on. Request for repair. The company does not have the parts. Next the sliding switch is going bad. What's the price for the electrical switch. Thank you!

Original review: July 19, 2015

When we bought 07 Odyssey in Feb 2011 with 40K, we initially noticed a passenger side sliding back door was not aligned right and you could see light and hear wind when you drove. Due to the fact I was due with child number 3 in June, this was a very important issue. We had the van in and out of the dealership for about 3 months to try and fix this problem. Finally the collision center of the dealership was able to get it back into place. This car showed no accidents on the report.

We have had an alignment issue on this van as well. Even after realigning within days it is knocked out of place again. How is that possible? Beyond all the recalls we have had to do, we have also had the battery die on us multiple times. We changed out the battery per dealership, and the problem still continued. Seemed to be some electrical issue. Van is now at 120K and I am now experiencing a knocking issue in the engine. Not something you want to hear when this is your main family vehicle. I have not taken it in to the dealership, but as I have no warranty on this car any longer, I am sure it will be in the thousands to fix. This is the one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned. I have never had so many recalls on a car and so many issues.

Original review: June 29, 2015

I have a 2012 Odyssey EX-L that has 47K on it and have the rotors already warp 2x! Now I am getting a brake job and both front and rear pad and rotors are needing to be replaced to the tune of $780!!! This is a KNOWN issue with these vans as Honda put braking systems that are way too small for such a large vehicle. Honda KNOWS their equipment does not meet the braking needs for the vans yet they keep on doing so letting their customers bear the financial hardship. We have owned an Accord, an Acura RSX-S, a Shadow, and a CBR 600RR and I have never had this issue with my older Hondas. I have also had a Subaru Outback with about 120K -- NEVER A PROBLEM. And a POS Ford F150 and up until the day it died with 125K it NEVER had this issue. Honda needs to STEP UP and produce vehicles of the same quality as they used to.

Original review: June 22, 2015

On Monday, June 15, 2015 I picked up my recently repaired 2012 Honda Odyssey. There was knocking noise in the front suspension. Tech said many Odyssey's have a problem with that. When test driving found other problems with rack and pinion drive and left axle. Result, over $2000.00 repair bill. Except for about $300.00 to replace brake pads it all was for parts and labor on suspension. The van only has 50,000 miles on it and does not get driven on rough roads etc. The bill was higher at first, but when I balked and asked for a discount I did get a $200.00 discount. If Honda knew about these design problems why don't they cover costs. Dealer said to talk to Honda about that, which I have been doing with little results. So beware Honda Odyssey owners. It could be you next time.

Original review: June 4, 2015

I had a 2013 Honda Odyssey. Today I pulled into my drive and noticed smoke coming from under the hood. Within 2 minutes, flames were coming out from under the hood and the paint was bubbling. I do not know if a prior symptom was related, but I had several problems with being able to remove the ignition key. I started smelling something like burning wood right before the fire. I believe the Honda is now a total loss.

Original review: May 14, 2015

Honda Odyssey 2015 Touring. This is my 5th Odyssey. (2013/2011/2009/2003). You can tell we did love the car. Got the car 04/15/15 - with 04 miles. On 05/05/15 at 994 miles while driving on the highway slow down with the traffic, when started pick up the speed 15-20 mph, loud thumping and hard jerking with no power to propel the vehicle forward - was able to get off the highway and taking to the local streets. Every time at about 15-17 MPH, when 2nd gear should engage - loud thumping with jerking and some loss of driving powers. Stopped, turned off the engine, open the hood - check for leaks and other abnormalities - none was found.

Called Honda USA (dealer was closed for the day) - they recommended that I take it to the service department for inspection. Drove it home with the same transmission performance (thumping and all). Next day took it to the dealer. They did not find anything out of order, all of the computer codes and such was totally normal - transmission was driving perfectly normal - head tech did the software update for the transmission. So far had no issues. I will update on the progress. But would definitely recommend getting familiar with lemon law in your area. However had a very good 12 years with Honda Odyssey's so far...

Original review: May 8, 2015

I purchase a brand new 2012 Honda Odyssey from the above mentioned dealer. Since then I had to replace the back brakes. It had 2 recalls and now at 71,000 miles. I had to pay for timing belt tensioner and a new water pump, because they were both leaking, I was told. I had a 1999 Odyssey for almost 10 years and never changed a water pump or timing belt. I am dissatisfied that a brand new van could cost me close to $3000 already. I believe that either they are not making the new van to last or the dealers are "creating problems" when you take it in for service maintenance to get money. These are some of the problem I am still having: 1. There is a noise like air coming through the windows when I go over 40 miles per hour. 2. There is a noise on the driver's side when I turn, it sounds like a rubber band stretching (they said that would wear with time, still there). I used to stand by Honda, now I have to rethink that.

Original review: March 24, 2015

I am first owner of 2001 Honda Odyssey van. We are not happy with transmission. It was rebuilt at 80,000 miles and again failed at 110,000. As per Honda dealer, we are out of warranty. I want to sell this. I got offer of was $300.00. This is our last Honda.

Original review: March 11, 2015

The paint has been coming off in chunks on my 2006 Honda Odyssey since 2009. Never received any bulletin and took the van to the dealer for various issues since new, and was never informed about a warranty claim on the paint, even though I showed it to several different dealers. Honda would not cover it as my official complaint to the headquarters was after the extended warranty. Now the driver's side door actually falls off my car on the roller end when I opened it. Honda as a company is terrible and has terrible products that they do not stand behind. I DO NOT recommend Honda cars to anyone, so beware of the terrible products that they sell!!!

Original review: March 1, 2015

Today February 28, 2015 at 1:00pm, my 2007 Honda Odyssey got fire under the hood like nothing. I almost lost my three children because it happen so fast that I had to pull over the road. My oldest son was the hero who helped me to take out my two youngest ones. Honda have to take care of this issue as soon as possible. People can really get hurt, if no one complained about it.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

2007 Honda Odyssey engine failed at 100K due to spark plug. Honda unwilling to offer reasonable assistance. Requesting further diagnostic work at $530+ at my expense before will discuss possible offer to help. Minimum of $4600 to repair, $7700 if must replace entire engine.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I have owned 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring. Bought it in March 2012 then sold it in Oct. 2014. I had the vehicle for 30 months with 68,000 miles. Things went bad before 36,000 miles... during and right after the warranty period. Forced to buy extended warranty. Not too impressed with quality. What are the problems?

@ 10 miles: CD/DVD (RES) restarts when the ignition switch is turned OFF/ON. For examples: Vehicle been parked for sometimes... whether with key ignition switch is (ON or OFF) or even without key inserted in, open door, turn "ON" any type of switches. With that being said... it causes the CD/DVD player to restart the disc, loud and clear that you could hear its spinning. Better yet! While sitting inside my vehicle then arm "turn on security alarm", exactly every 5 minutes you could hear the CD/DVD player to restart the disc. I contact authorized Honda dealer for an appointment and they refused to fix it. I was told because other brand new vehicles doing the same thing too.

@ Around 10,000 miles: Front suspension creaking sounds in the front while turning at low speeds or crossed over the railroad tracks. Authorized Honda dealer refused to fix it and that is normal. @ Around 10,000 miles: Wind noise from the front driver and passenger door(s). Authorized Honda dealer refused to fix it and that is normal. @ Around 15,000 miles: Auto sliding doors problems. 1st Winter 2012 took a trip to Arches National Park, parked on snow un-even surface, either sling door(s) jam/stuck opened. Summertime sliding door rails leaking fluids. Half of the times the sliding latches making loud popping sounds when opened.

@ Around 40,000 miles: Battery is dead. Bought a DieHard battery from Sears $135. @ Around 45,000 miles: Replaced rear shock absorbers with Monroe brand, each contain "NO" pressurized nitrogen gas in them, and as the hydraulic leaks. Easily pushed by the two fingers. @ Around 60,000 miles: Front suspensions making noise. @ Around 60,000 miles: Driver side seat heater gone bad. Stay on for 30 seconds.

@ Around 65,000 miles: Tie rod ends. Driver side outer CV Boot and passenger side inner CV Boot leaks. Couldn't find aftermarket parts. Both leaks "NOT" because they have holes in them, or tears and wears out. It leaks because CV Boot clamps overtime become loose, a loose CV Boot clamps would "NOT" stay tight. Dealer wanted $299 per side for leaking CV Boot - repack and clamp service items. To replace completed both sides, tie rod ends with PV Boots, dealer wanted for $890. @ Around 68,000 miles: Second and third row seats making rattling noise, both sliding doors keep jamming, 5th door won't open or close properly. Too many things kept going wrong I had to let it go.

As far for 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring with 68,000 miles vehicle value goes. Sold on Oct 2014 after 30 months... Honda dealership wanted for $19,500, CarMax bought it for $23,000. Oct 2014 we bought a 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE with Navigation for $37,000 including 6 years or 100,000 miles Platinum Extended Warranty. We very happy with it, so far we can tell you that our 2015 Sienna van has better, higher quality vs. the Honda Odyssey.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

I've owned two Hondas before this. The first a 1988 Accord LX, I put almost 250,000 miles on it and other than normal maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes, plugs, wires, cap) I literally had to do nothing on it. At 240,000, I had to replace the starter. It was a Standard 5 speed and never had to replace the clutch (Which pretty much shows how gentle I am on cars.)

Now, 2004 Odyssey LX with a multitude of problems. Around 60,000 miles, needed to start replacing motor mounts. The sliding center doors started becoming a problem to open after 50,000 miles. The rear electric vent windows stopped opening at around 50,000 miles. The transmission (a known problem that Honda refuses to acknowledge) burned up at 125,000 miles (a $4,000 replacement at a Honda dealership out of town, since I was traveling.)

A year later, when I had the vehicle inspected, I was told by my local dealership that the transmission mount bolts were missing. Huh!!!! Initially they quoted me a price of $150 to replace them, until I put up a hissy fit that the transmission was replaced a year prior by a Honda dealership. Pretty much all the lights on the center dashboard have burned out (radio, clock, heater controls.) After 70,000 miles the shift lever has constantly begun sticking, precipitating sticking a key in the lock removal on many occasions.

I have 164,000 miles on the van now and have needed to replace the battery 4 times. And just now went out to start the vehicle, and it appears the starter (or solenoid) needs replacing. Now, I expect that vehicles need to be maintained and parts replaced, but this... is really just too much. I'm now at over 1,400 letter character count on this comment and they say the recommended minimum is 200. Obviously they've never owned a Honda Odyssey.

Honda Odyssey Company Information