3.65/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Honda Odyssey

The Honda Odyssey is a minvan that was first introduced in 1994. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Honda Odyssey Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

We had huge disappointment with 2014 Honda Odyssey van when it hit 50K problem start occurring in the transmission, it took them lots of time to figure out the problem. We then exchanged it to Honda Odyssey 2016. Tires were worn out once it hit the 40K. Rooters start wiggling as we approached 35k even they changed them to a new ones as they said. Now they can't trust their brand. They suggested to be replaced with aftermarket. I am not buying Honda again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

We have owned 2 Honda Odysseys and loved them, but suddenly for no reason the paint on our white 2010 with 103k miles has begun to peel off in large 8 inch chunks down to the primer for no reason in 3 totally separate places (including under the hood). We were told by the dealer and verified with research that there have been paint peeling issues on several models for over 15 years, warranties have been extended, and cars re-painted. We were told by Honda America that we were on our own for this since it is 9 years old despite the fact that adhesion issues remain. Sadly, this will be our last Honda product and I discourage anyone from buying Honda or Acura, who admittedly has paint issues as well.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I had 2018 Odyssey Elite. Car entertainment system (touchscreen apps) does not work properly. Sometime in car rear entertainment screen stay blank event though I can hear voice of DVD playing or any other video playing but can't see anything. Second, I play music by using flash drive by using USB port. So, sometime screen keep saying initializing which mean trying to read flash drive and music does not play at all. If, I am making call through bluetooth and hang up call, music that was playing before call, suppose to resume playing automatically but does not resume after call. Some time touchscreen does not turn on and stay blank. For all above problem I had to turn of car and wait for minute and turn back car on and everything seem working fine.

I took car to dealership but since they were not able to replicate same issue I am facing they can't check what's wrong. But last time they called Honda tech department and find out that there is some issues going on rear entertainment system but as of now neither Honda not tech department has any solution so I have to wait till they had any solution which is no guaranteed time. I also email to Honda customer care department and in reply I got email that I will get call from manager in 3 to 5 business day which I had not received. Looks like they only know to make money from customer but does not know to provide proper service.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

My husband and I bought a used 2004 van in 2012. We knew Honda as a great brand. We have replaced the transmission, the pulleys on the doors, the ignition switch, and now 2 gaskets on the oil valve cover. It was a great vehicle until we had to replace our transmission after it was serviced for a recall a few days before. It was driving five before then. I called Honda dealership to ask if what they did caused the transmission to fail. No was the answer. The air conditioner had been working great until now. Makes rattling noise. I do find it very spacious and I love that the seats lay flat in the back for hauling large items. Not sure if I'm going to buy another honda. The radio also no longer works due to a shortage. The costs for repairs at the dealership are very expensive if you don't have money set aside for emergencies.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I am having a difficult time having anyone at Honda look at or answer me regarding my white 2014 Honda Odyssey which has paint peeling off the tailgate. I've brought it to the attention of my local service center. They stated they would take pics and send it to the District Service Manager, I have not heard a word yet about my problem. Recently I took it upon myself to email a few of the executives, I received a phone call and a voice mail from one of their customer service people. I called the number back, left a voicemail stating I was returning her phone call and have yet to receive a call back. I've had 4 different Honda cars and have been a faithful Honda buyer for years now. I will no longer give them my money if this is the way they treat their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Odyssey?

Original review: June 30, 2019

I knew this was going to happen; Honda decided to "re-engineer" the transmission for the 2018 Honda Odyssey, and it's going to be a HUGE HEADACHE for the company! I have owned a 2007, 2011,2014, and now, a 2018 Honda Odyssey. I drive an average of 400 miles per day, 90% Highway, in the North Carolina Piedmont area. Love my 2014 for the most part. Put over 300k miles on it before trading, and never had any major mechanical issue.

From the very beginning, I was not happy with the 2018. The transmission acted like it never knew what gear to go into, and I was getting worse fuel mileage than the 2014 model. I started noticing noise from the drive train early on. If I eased off the gas, while slowing down in traffic, or approaching a stop light, and then re-accelerated, many times the transmission would hesitate, and then "bang" into gear, making a metal-on-metal noise.

At first, it was not very loud, and just slightly noticeable, but as time went by and I put more mile on the car, it became louder and much more noticeable! I took it to Autopark Honda in Cary several times with this complaint.. and I would always get the "We can't replicate the problem" response. The last time I took it in, the car had about 58,000 miles on it and the drive train warranty soon to expire. That time, the mechanic acknowledged that the was definitely an issue, and had communicated with Honda Tech, but no resolution offered! I was told that they would "stand behind the car", should something happen.

Well, something happened.. the transmission failed. The first call from a Service Advisor told me the repair would cost almost $6,200! But then added that they would submit a claim to Honda Goodwill. The next day, I was informed that Honda would pay all but $1261 (which must be their actual hardware cost), of the repair. I find this unacceptable! While I appreciate that they are willing to pay a large part of the cost; a Honda transmission should not fail at 75,000 miles.. period! Honda stupidly decided to re-engineer a perfectly good transmission, and came up with a dud.

I am also sure that my situation will not be an isolated one. During my 58,000 mile visit, I was given a 2019 Odyssey as a loaner for a few days. It made the very same noise! So if you own a 2018 or newer Odyssey... beware! And make certain that you are having the transmission fluid serviced every 30k miles, or you will no doubt be denied any help when (no if), your transmission fails.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I own a 2019 Odyssey, the 8th that I have owned or leased. All previous vehicles allowed me to fold the middle seat backs flat for cargo storage and hauling which I tolerated because I like the vehicle. The 2019 Odyssey seat will not fold flat but remains at approximately a 45 degree angle. This restricts hauling capacity and makes it extremely difficult (almost impossible) to lift and remove the seat from the vehicle. I really have liked these vehicles, but I will never buy another one again because of this change nor will I recommend one to anyway else. Honda's major competitor's seats fold into the floor and do not require removal. I don't need that, but I would like to have the fold down feature, otherwise why have a van. In the past I have sold my Odysseys to my daughter when I buy a new one. She doesn't want them anymore for the same reason.

Original review: June 15, 2019

We purchased our 2019 Honda Odyssey in Nov 2018 and while traveling over the holidays was involved in "body damage only" accident (hit a deer). The repair company fixed the body. Case closed. A couple weeks later we noticed a whirling noise coming from the engine at idle. We submitted to AutoNation Honda of Lewisville. They replaced drive belt and tensioner and returned vehicle around 2 weeks later. The whirling sound persisted and the vehicle was returned to AutoNation on March 1st.

This time AutoNation began with simple repairs and escalated the complexity to remove the sound. This included replacing timing belt, idler pulley, crankshaft pulley, oil pump, and eventually the engine block. The car was returned to over one month later. During this time we spoke several times with AutoNation for updates and was told that they weren't sure what was wrong but would continue to replace parts until it was fixed. Given that this is a 2019 Odyssey, both the ambiguity of the problem and the associated repairs were frustrating along with the fact that we'd been without our van for over 6 weeks since purchasing the van the middle of Nov 2018.

We convinced the dealership to provide a temporary rental vehicle but throughout the process, they insinuated that the noise could be caused by the accident. We encouraged the company who performed the body repair to correspond with the dealership (and vice versa) to discern the cause of the noise. The initial repair company sent pictures to Honda to substantiate their belief that the noise was not associated with the body-damage only accident.

During this time we also contacted Honda Corporate and spoke with Kenisha at Honda Customer Service. After leaving unreturned messages for 4 days with Kenisha she finally called me back (she said she was at funeral) after I called Honda corporate asking for a new rep. Kenisha was not emphatic and emphatically stated that she saw NO work orders in her system on our van and that all repairs would be charged to our insurance. We called our insurance and they confirmed that Honda had not requested authorization to perform any repairs nor had submitted invoices for the work being done.

We then approached the dealership again at which point they assumed responsibility for the noise and repairs and said work orders wouldn't be seen by corporate until the work was completed. We immediately called Kenisha back and shared the information to which she never replied except to leave a vm asking if we'd received our vehicle back. We received our van back over a month after its second repair visit (6+ weeks total).

We've now submitted a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement regarding the TX Lemon Law. During this process another "more senior" customer service representative called us and asked if the original problem was gone. I answered yes but told her that we've begun hearing a clacking sound on cold start ups and would be taking the van in again for repairs. We when saw Honda's report to National Center for Dispute Settlement they stated that the customer said the problem is gone, but made no mention of the new problem arising. Convenient for Honda's rep to leave that info out of their report.

My wife and I have 6 kids and have been faithful Honda owners for years. We purchased this new van instead of used to provide us with reliable transportation. Given the number and depth of the repairs completed to date, my wife no longer has faith in our "new" van. It's fundamentally a different van and now has an extensive repair history that taints the overall value. We are extremely frustrated and warn potential buyers. Years ago I feel like Honda would have done "something" in good faith, but all they do today is defend their position and lawyer up. What happened to you Honda?! We miss the old version of your company....

Original review: May 13, 2019

We own a 2019 Honda Odyssey with about 20,000 miles on it so far. Very nice vehicle with one big flaw. In order to use the space behind the front seats completely, one must remove the middle seats (no "stow and go" like in the Chrysler). These seats are heavy and they are a total pain to reinstall. Of course you will also need a place to store them while they are out of the mini van. If you're thinking about getting a Honda Odyssey you may want to try the second row seat removal first for a fun exercise! Even though we have only owned this vehicle for a few months, we have already decided that we will not replace it with another Odyssey unless Honda addresses this issue.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Honda service department thinks it’s funny (oh we have someone with same issue come in every day) when you spend small fortune on a car and it tries to kill you. Latest recall "Update Park Logic Safety Recall" is recalling 2018 and 2019 Odyssey vehicles that could cause the Transmission Control Unit to reboot and shift the transmission to park while the vehicle is being driven. Well I had mine do that and 2 days after I got a recall notice on my Honda app so I took it to shop next day and told them I tried to pull out of store parking lot across 3 busy lanes to get into 4th lane and make a turn (I know it is not a race car so I gave myself enough time to make a turn and not cut off anyone). Well my Odyssey decided to take a nap in the middle of the road while cars were coming at me. I hit the gas pedal quickly and this little FWD screeched and smoked tires to escape in time.

Shop tells me that if gas and brake pedal are pressed at the same time the system thinks I am trying to slow down the vehicle so it cuts power to prevent accidental acceleration. How about causing an accident or worse in the middle of the road and why didn't it take a nap in the parking lot before I pulled out in the multi lane street if I actually pressed both pedals (which I did not). Idle never came on before until brake pedal was fully pressed so I have no idea what they are talking about with my size 7 foot and how I would have pushed both gas and brake pedal to cause this but they are sticking with this story, told me that they did software update and I am good to go. I do not trust this car anymore or HONDA.

Honda Odyssey Company Information