Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.56/5

Honda Odyssey

The Honda Odyssey is a minvan that was first introduced in 1994. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

145 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 24, 2019

I bought my 2008 Honda Odyssey EXL in 2011 with 72000km on it. It has been amazing. She now has 326000km on her and still rides comfortably and quietly. Just like every car, there has been regular wear and tear maintenance (brakes, suspension, sliding door rollers, just recently a battery and alternator). I love the car like ride, the super comfortable seats, the visibility and the handling. With my job I drive many different kinds of vehicles and I am always amazed at how much better my Odyssey rides than most other much newer vehicles out there. I am reluctantly looking for another vehicle (and seriously thinking about another Odyssey) as I know my time might be limited with this van, but I will be keeping it for the kids to drive to their summer jobs.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I purchased a used 2005 Honda Odyssey EX in 2010. I have loved this van! It has 209,000 miles on it, so I know its time is limited, but I'm having a hard time finding a replacement because I love it so much. PROS: SPACE. When I bought it I had four kids under 12, complete with car seats, strollers, soccer and swim gear, etc. Now my kids range from 21 to 11 and there is still room for all of us; even my 6'2" husband and son can sit comfortably in the third row back seat if needed during long trips. Plenty of head room and leg room!

STORAGE SPACE: My Odyssey has plenty of storage room, but my favorite is a locking storage space in the floor between the front seats and second row captains' chairs, complete with a lazy susan. This has been one of my FAVORITE features of this van. I call it my "hiding place" because I can hide my purse there when I need to and feel that it's safe from prying eyes. We have also stored headphones and the remote for the DVD player there. (DVD player is aftermarket.) NOTE: I've been shopping for a newer Odyssey and am extremely disappointed that my "hiding place" has now been turned into the spare tire storage space. I'm am SO UNHAPPY about this. Besides losing storage space, can you imagine having to get it out while stuck on the road with your kids? "Excuse me kids, while I wrangle this thing out of here!" This is the biggest reason I'm having a hard time finding a newer van.

CUP HOLDERS. Enough for everyone and then some! They are versatile enough to hold virtually any size water bottle. AUTOMATIC SLIDING DOORS: These have been a pro and a con. When they work, they are a pro. But I've had trouble with them working properly in the cold. And now that the van is older, the right door doesn't work at all. I have to turn it to manual to open it at all.

CEILING REAR VENTS and MULTI-ZONE A/C: Besides more space, this is another reason I chose a mini van over a crossover. My sister drives a crossover because she's too cool for a mini van, but her kid is always hot in the back seat because the rear vents are in the center console instead of in the ceiling. I love that my kids can control the rear air and direct the air where they need it. Each passenger has their own vent. Aaahhh... Super cool!

EIGHTH SEAT OPTION: I haven't had to use it too often, but when we've had to carpool, it's been nice to have one extra seat. CONS: AUTOMATIC SLIDING DOORS: (see above). A/C: The A/C is OK, but the A/C in my Ford Windstar was more powerful. Also, my A/C completely died in 2015, which was a $1500 repair. Can't say for sure that was a Honda problem, though. That could happen in any car.

REPAIRS: Over the years, we've repaired/replaced the following: Engine Motor mounts. Shocks/Struts. CV Axles (at about 185,000 miles, the car started vibrating badly at high speeds) A/C. EGR Valve. Power steering leak. Sway bar link. Now it needs new catalytic converters, but haven't replaced them yet. (209,000 miles on this van!)

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Overall, it's been a great experience and the Honda Odyssey has been super reliable for us. I absolutely love the sliding doors! With two small children, it makes getting out of the house so much easier! I love that I can open the side doors or back hatch with the push of a button and the DVD player has been a lifesaver! I love all of the extra room that we have as well and it has been a blessing with my side jobs. Although it is an awesome family car, I wish there was a DVD player for rear facing children's seats so that my youngest could enjoy that feature on long trips, right now we use a portable DVD player to keep him entertained when travelling long distances. My only complaint is quite a bit of rust that is forming below the rear window. We do live in a snow belt area that sees a lot of snow through the winter and the vehicle is a 2009, but I've never had a car rust like this. My husband also has a 2009 (Acura TL) but his car shows no rust so far.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The Honda Odyssey is a wonderful car, perfect for our triplets. We purchased this vehicle when I was pregnant with our triplet girls in April of 2016. I was close to having them and we figured that we were far enough along in viability that we would probably actually be taking home three babies. Not a lot of women who are pregnant with triplets actually come home with three babies. So it was time to purchase a super safe vehicle that would hopefully last us a decade or so. I had a Honda Civic that was eleven years old and still running like a champ so we felt very comfortable and secure with the decision to look at another Honda on this occasion. My husband has worked in the automotive industry for the majority of his life so it was an easy decision to allow him to be the head of this project. He did most of the research and he narrowed it down to about three models but really it was just between the Honda and the Toyota Sienna.

The idea of getting me to the dealership was a whole other issue besides the fact that I had not been able to drive and then the months because I was absolutely enormous. We looked over all of the features together and he went ahead and test drove all of the models himself. Then he reported back to me what he liked and didn't like and since I trusted him very much and he knows me very well, I felt that his opinion of which vehicle would be easier for me after the delivery was probably the best one. And of course he let me choose the color :-). And I love the dark grey color that we chose. We had a lot of money to put down thankfully but the price was still so much more attractive with the Honda. The salespeople were all really really nice at our Honda dealership and they made the experience really simple for us which was important because our lives were extremely stressful and busy at that point.

We just had no idea what day the girls would be arriving and I was practically immobile. When I did finally go into labor, I was about as comfortable as I could be in the passenger seat completely reclined. The price is definitely a good value and we had a good experience at the dealership as well. There are plenty of cup holders and many compartments for whatever you need. The sound system is great and the seat warmers are a nice touch. The recent recall is a bit of a pain in the neck. Other than that, extremely satisfied.

This car also got the best gas mileage out of the vans that we looked at and seemed like a much more economical choice when we made our decision to purchase. I also liked the roominess in the foot areas and the choices we had for the different interiors. Safety features, the backup camera was ideal and the side camera makes a really big difference, especially when I am driving on the freeway. I don't like using the lane departure feature much but my husband does when he drives. However, I do really like the alarm that goes off when I am too close to the car in front of me. That has been very helpful in a few instances when I have been distracted or just sort of zoned out. When you have three toddlers in the car it's not easy to be completely focused on the road unfortunately.

Another feature that is really nice is how simple it is to remove the captain chairs if needed. We have to do this often because our triplets are still required to be rear facing for a few more weeks and we can't fit them three across in the back row rear facing, only front facing. So removing the side captain chair makes it sooo much easier to load and unload the two in the back row. We got a pretty basic model because our kids are still really young so we didn't need a fancy entertainment pack.

The way that the heat and air conditioning system resets every time you turn the car off and the default setting that it turns back on to is kind of a hassle. Maybe it's just a personal preference but I don't really appreciate that I have to re-sync the temperatures every time I turn the car on. I also don't like the fact that it defaults to venting both your feet and your face? I just find that sort of odd and it's also a hassle. I do like the fact that I can sync the back temperature when my children are back there but that I can turn it off if there are adults in the back so that they can have their own temperature control. That is a very nice feature.

I also like that there are numerous vents in the back because I have three children in car seats and car seats can get quite warm especially here in sunny Southern California. So it's nice to know that my children are getting in the air conditioning to be safe and comfortable in the summer and also the heat necessary in the two months that we pretend to have winter here LOL. It would have been nice if the navigation system would have been a little bit more reasonable to purchase. Especially because in California it is super Duper illegal to be on your phone in any capacity while you're driving. So that makes it difficult to use your phone for navigation in lieu of having a navigation installed directly into your vehicle.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We have the Honda Odyssey minivan and three children with two car seats. We love the space and comfort as well as the built in entertainment system for DVD viewing in the back. Furthermore, we like the leather seats, stop and go, third row seating, navigation system, and back up camera. Furthermore, there is so much space and tons of storage room in the back, also the third row can completely recline forming a bed like platform. It also has good gas mileage. While it is the perfect car for long road trips, I get annoyed by the car doors do not unlock on their own when the car parks so you have to manually unlock the doors before anyone can get out... also the armrests in the driver and passenger seats are a bit awkward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Odyssey?

Original review: May 13, 2019

We own a 2019 Honda Odyssey with about 20,000 miles on it so far. Very nice vehicle with one big flaw. In order to use the space behind the front seats completely, one must remove the middle seats (no "stow and go" like in the Chrysler). These seats are heavy and they are a total pain to reinstall. Of course you will also need a place to store them while they are out of the mini van. If you're thinking about getting a Honda Odyssey you may want to try the second row seat removal first for a fun exercise! Even though we have only owned this vehicle for a few months, we have already decided that we will not replace it with another Odyssey unless Honda addresses this issue.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Honda service department thinks it’s funny (oh we have someone with same issue come in every day) when you spend small fortune on a car and it tries to kill you. Latest recall "Update Park Logic Safety Recall" is recalling 2018 and 2019 Odyssey vehicles that could cause the Transmission Control Unit to reboot and shift the transmission to park while the vehicle is being driven. Well I had mine do that and 2 days after I got a recall notice on my Honda app so I took it to shop next day and told them I tried to pull out of store parking lot across 3 busy lanes to get into 4th lane and make a turn (I know it is not a race car so I gave myself enough time to make a turn and not cut off anyone). Well my Odyssey decided to take a nap in the middle of the road while cars were coming at me. I hit the gas pedal quickly and this little FWD screeched and smoked tires to escape in time.

Shop tells me that if gas and brake pedal are pressed at the same time the system thinks I am trying to slow down the vehicle so it cuts power to prevent accidental acceleration. How about causing an accident or worse in the middle of the road and why didn't it take a nap in the parking lot before I pulled out in the multi lane street if I actually pressed both pedals (which I did not). Idle never came on before until brake pedal was fully pressed so I have no idea what they are talking about with my size 7 foot and how I would have pushed both gas and brake pedal to cause this but they are sticking with this story, told me that they did software update and I am good to go. I do not trust this car anymore or HONDA.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We purchased a 2010 Honda Odyssey EXL with 117k last August from Vic Bailey Honda in Spartanburg. The car now has 127,000 miles and is sucking oil. We tried to research the car before we bought it, but somehow we missed the fact that there had been a class action lawsuit involving piston ring failure. As part of the settlement, apparently Honda agreed to extend the warranty 8 years, which of course was right before we bought the car. So the bottom line is that the car is worth at least $2,500 less than what we paid for it. This is totally a manufacturer's defect, and Honda is not owning its failure here. The moral of the story is that if you want a quality car, don't buy a Honda.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Was driving my one month old Honda Odyssey when the sunroof literally exploded outward from my car. We weren’t near other cars, trees or overpasses. Since we had literally just bought this brand new $42,000 minivan and had done nothing wrong, we assumed our warranty would cover this. Nope. And once they decided they weren’t covering it, there was no one else they’d let you speak to. They basically just said, "Tough luck." I was a loyal Honda owner but this will be my last.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I bought the 2018 Honda Odyssey for my wife in late 2017. We have had numerous problems with it. First problem was the camera system. The van would slow down all by itself. The first time it happened I driving over the Grapevine in Southern California. The van still had the paper plates on it. I was driving down an incline and as I neared the bottom the road began to rise and turn to the right. The camera must have thought the rise in the road was a car because it slowed from 65 to 25 immediately, and I could not prevent it. I took it to the dealership and and told them what had happened. They returned the van and said they could not find any problems as the van did not "throw" any codes.

They suggested that I turn down the sensitivity. This did not cure the problem. We had several more instances with the van flashing "BRAKE" on the dashboard when there was nothing in front of me, and "STEERING REQUIRED" even though I was steering the car. The final incident came when my wife was driving the car down a city street and the flashed "BRAKE" and immediately came to a complete stop in the middle of the road causing the cars behind her to swerve to avoid a rear end collision. I took the van right over to Honda and told them what had happened and to keep the van until they figure out what the problem is. To my surprise they told me that the camera had finally "thrown" a code and it burned out. They replaced the camera. This nonsense went on for 16 months before they finally figured out the camera was defective.

Our latest problem is the van does not want to start. No lights come on anywhere in the van. Then the lights come on and the van still will not start. It sat all of Saturday. I tried to charge the battery but it would not take a charge, and it still wouldn't start. It is currently at Honda and when they called me today they told me they could not duplicate the problem. For them the van started right up, it is charging and everything is working fine. They are going to keep it overnight and try to recreate the problem. Doesn't matter to me. I am getting rid of the van and I am going to buy something else that is more dependable. The only thing I can depend on the Odyssey to be is be undependable. I will never buy another Honda and I will never suggest that anyone buy a Honda either.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Currently have roughly 30,000 miles on my 2018 Honda Odyssey Elite. Never listen to my wife that it was leaking in the rear hatch area. Thinking it was just running in when the hatch got opened. After a few times looking at it I realized it was leaking. Took to dealer and they say they have found the leak. But now my van is rusted on the inside. Way to go Honda. Can't wait to see what they come up with on this. I'm sure somehow I will be stuck with it. It's been in the shop for 2 weeks now.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

The 2018 Honda Odyssey is awful! Having many issues with the van. Been in the shop 3 times in 2 months. They always say the same thing, “this is normal for the van”! The transmission jerks, the gas gauge doesn’t work. I said to them if this was “normal” it would of happened on day one. Not a year later. Honda said these are “characteristics” of this van. They should of told me about these characteristics before I bought the van!!! Never again will I buy a Honda.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Worst van ever. Very unreliable. I don’t honestly know where to begin. This van is so bad. Roof leaks water and comes out of the curtain, airbag plug inside, leaked down to fuse panel. Shorted out something, vsa and abs light come on and off constantly, master window control buttons quit working, motor mounts are junk, harmonic damper fell apart and belt came off, power steering hose leaked all fluid out which made the pump constantly noisy, navigating system sucks, the van is a complete electrical nightmare. Don’t buy!!! Why they hold value is beyond me. I’d rather have a Chrysler product and that’s saying something...

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

On the way home from school today, a car ran a red light and slammed into the middle of the driver side of my 2012 Honda Odyssey. I was driving my wife and six children. The collision itself is a blur in my memory. The side airbags deployed. The children screamed. And the van ended up on the side of the road. The other driver left in an ambulance. We walked home with only a couple of surface bruises. Thank you, Honda Odyssey!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Honda had recalls on airbags and I got them fixed and my 17 year old son had a accident with a deer and Honda told me airbags don't deploy on that if he didn't have a seatbelt on. He could have been killed. Honda I own 2 Odysseys and will never buy a Honda product again and wouldn't recommend to anyone. I wouldn't buy a Honda Odyssey for my dog. I gave them a chance to make things right but I guess attorneys will be involved now.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Yes so I purchased a new 2016 Honda Odyssey with cash straight up. I put 44,200 miles on it passing the 36,000-mile warranty and noticed a snapping sound when I turn left in the steering column. It is annoying and gets worse where it happens more often than not. You can see Youtube videos of this annoyance. It is a problem with the steering column bearings. Well Honda has a recall for this for 2015 and half of the 2016 Odyssey models. My 2016 Vin number seems to be not on that recall list. Why? So it's my fault my steering makes snapping noises and bothers me that maybe it will freeze up and I crash. So I would have to pay for this when others get a recall.

If I knew I would have to pay for a steering column bearing problem after 36,000 miles I would never have purchased the vehicle. If I knew this problem at all I would not have purchased the vehicle. But I think it considerate if Honda fixes this issue. How is it my fault? I did not take apart my steering column and mess with the bearings. It is absolutely ridiculous. Be careful buying a Honda. My wife even bought a 2017 Honda Pilot. This is how they treat their customers pretty appalling.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Bought a brand new 2018 Elite. Car lost power and returned to dealership service and replaced battery. 16 more times I’ve been back to dealership service department for failed power issues, doors malfunctioning, replaced tuner (twice), transmission surging, brake collision malfunction and DVD malfunction. Honda USA is ignoring my complaints and drop my claims. The dealership said “it’s a waste of time “ to repair my van.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I bought a 2016 Honda Odyssey LX new. At 2900 miles I had an experience where the engine revved at high RPMs while my foot was on the break, pressing hard. I turned it off and turned it on and it revved again so I turned it off. I waited a few minutes and turned it on again and all was OK. The dealer checked it but could find no problem. It happened again last week (12,500 miles), also at a stop sign and required a lot of pressure on the break. I turned it off. When I turned it on it revved again so I turned it off. I tried again after a few minutes and it was OK. I have an appointment to have it looked at by the Honda dealer but my guess is they will not find anything. I have reported the problem to the National Highway traffic safety as I fear this could cause an accident. But for this... I love this car.

Original review: July 31, 2018

We bought this 2013 Odyssey new and within the first 20k miles the van developed a shutter when accelerating. We had it reviewed during an oil change, but the mechanics could not duplicate the issue. This progressively became worse, and now the vehicle is almost to the point we don't drive it any longer. Honda suggests we now (currently 130k miles) replace the torque converter at a cost of more than $3k. I called Honda Support, and they are unwilling to extend the coverage despite the fact this is a common issue with the Odyssey (because it's not a safety issue it is not covered as a recall).

Beware of buying an Odyssey, I will not own another Honda minivan. They make great cars, but you will find many forums that will highlight this same issue and that Honda is not fixing the known mechanical issues on this van. Aside from this major issue, it's also not as comfortable as other manufacturers for long drives; Chrysler, Toyota and Nissan are all very good for comfort.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I purchased a 2006 Honda Odyssey from a private owner for 5,000 which first should not have been sold that much. Same night, took to Jiffy Lube to get an oil change. Jiffy Lube said they would not do the change because there was oil everywhere. I called the person I got the car from they were very upset and said, "I'll give you the money back but it has to be TONIGHT." At the time I did not want the money back. I just wanted to know what was going on with the van. And why the sudden rush to return the van THAT NIGHT.

I wish I would have listened. This has been the worst vehicle in my life! Battery, Alternator, Radiator, Gasket, Transmission, Axle, Brakes/Rotors, Oxygen Sensor, all replaced it was an issue week after week. Getting caught on the highway for hours, because van jerked, check engine light, VSA lights, ABS lights would come on. This car must have been in a junk yard then purchased and sold to me. I hated everything about this van...and the fact that the person who sold it, had no concern or even thought to reach out and say ok, I'll help you post and sell it, since that's what they do!, but no I was told IT'S YOUR CAR, pretty much deal with it now, it's not their problem. You live and learn, never purchase a car from a private owner without taking the car to be checked by someone YOU TRUST, NOT their mechanic, because all those things should have been found. I have large family and not having a dependable car was very frustrating.

I don't know what Honda has been thinking but I finally got rid of the car which will end up in an auction the dealer would not even sell it- so whoever gets it from an auction, I hope they know how to fix cars because it's always going to be something with that van. I can truly say I hated the experience with that Honda and I will NEVERRR in my life purchase another Honda, or even deal with a private owner, especially that one. I hope anyone who is looking for a Honda Odyssey, rethink it especially if it's an older model, PLEASE DON'T DO IT!

Original review: June 21, 2018

My Honda Odyssey is a wonderful vehicle. I can depend on it to get me wherever I needed or want to go. I love it, because I have room for my entire family, camping gear, or anything I want to haul. While I am very happy with my van, they should make the back seat removable and make the spark plug easier to get to. Still, I would buy one again.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought this 2005 Honda Odyssey used in 2007. It replaced a previous Odyssey which had simply aged out. It can carry 8 passengers or a load of farm supplies and I find that this model is the only one that has sufficient knee room under the steering column. It has top notch performance and durability and has given me excellent service with few maintenance problems. Also, it is comfortable and gives pretty good gasoline mileage. The leather upholstery has held up well and I really appreciate the heated driver's seat and seat back. The front passenger seat is also heated. I dislike and do not use the sunroof, but that is simply a matter of personal preference. It would be nice to have charging ports in the rear seats for electronic devices, too.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The Honda Odyssey is pretty good. It's fairly touchy. If it runs out of any fluids it will just break down so you have to be very on top of making sure oil is good and all systems are a-go. Otherwise it will just crap out and die in you. This has happened to me. But I love the spaciousness and leather seats. It does great on gas mileage. It drives smoothly and overall it's a great vehicle. I just wish it had a better sound system. And also, I would improve the finicky operating system and also would change the fact that you need a social computer code to reset the radio and such if the battery dies.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have not had any real issues with the Honda Odyssey besides the heater not working during the winter but that was an easy fix. I picked this model because it was perfect for my family and spacing. The car is very roomy that I can literally stand in it to reach the kids and buckle them in. The back seat flips down, too. However, we have an issue with it not staying lock after being picked up. Also, I would had some storage to the seats and remote control doors. Maybe some tv screening for the back seats would keep the kids busy. The belt also goes bad and makes a lot of noise so make it a bit quieter.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Odyssey EX - This minivan exceeds my expectations. It handles like a sports car, has the get up and go that you'd need to accelerate to enter the freeway traffic. Good fuel economy, good value.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Everything other than the engine, is going on our 2008 Honda, Odyssey. The engine light stays on, the VSA (braking system) is going. Replacement for that is over $1,000.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Bought this car new and roof had a dent in it made from the inside. Paint had significant water spots that could only be removed by using a buffing machine with a cleaning compound. Also, driver side visor had to be replaced, seat belt holder in rear of car had to have a new fastener replaced, and engine mount problems and transmission tolerances are not set correctly. Kicks in hard when putting in drive. Engine rpm jumps up when put in drive.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2015 Honda Odyssey's seats are very comfortable. But would like a camera in front to show how close you are to handicap poles and anything else in front. Would also like better gas mileage.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Wish Honda Odyssey would have more colors to choose from-- other than black, white, blue, silver. Not so dark colors. They don't show dirt as much. Some pastels would be nice.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Bought this Honda Odyssey for the reliability, many rotor issues, but I chalked that up to "normal". No speakers in third row, so kids have a hard time hearing music/DVDs, trans problems started mid 50k in miles. Software issue Honda doesn't want to pay for if you're out of warranty. Warranty only covers until 60k. Very disappointed. They don't work with their customers on a known issue.

Honda Odyssey Company Information