Honda Insight
Based on 48 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Honda Insight

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 23, 2017

51 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I purchased a Honda Insight in 2014 for which no significant issues until March of 2017. At that point, the car displayed excessive oil consumption with an extended warranty deemed something the car would not qualify for (it was tested to use almost a quart of oil for 1500 miles, yet the quoted industry standard Honda referred to suggested that up to a quart of oil per 1000 miles acceptable. I would ask on what planet is that an acceptable standard). Further, in September 2017 the injectors leaked into cylinders first necessitating spark plug (total) replacement (first set of repairs) and then later irreparable damage due to scarred cylinders in October 2017 (second sequence of repairs with conclusion the car was not repairable against value).

This consumer was then out over $2000 in repairs for what was a dead car. I had to trade it in to be able to acquire a new car and get to my job. Honda provided no support or compensation in this regard. Clearly, they are not accountable and dismissed my concerns with no intention to provide a reasonable response to a customer.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I also believe that there should be a class action lawsuit against Honda. I experienced the same issues as the other car owners with my 2013 Honda Insight. It almost uses as much oil as Gas and also you don't have an oil gauge, so you can't tell if you are low on oil. The engine could blow up without you knowing, since it loses so much oil. The whole purpose of buying a Hybrid car was to go Green and save Gas, instead it seems as it runs on oil which is even worse than gas. Also, the airbag scare and lack of power and constant issues with tires blowing up because the front shocks are too small for the car and therefore the ride is bumpy and front tires keep going out every 3 months. This car is a piece of junk.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I agree there should be a class action lawsuit against American Honda on this vehicle, as suggested by other consumers. My husband and I purchased a new 2013 Honda Insight from the Phillipsburg/Easton Honda Dealer in New Jersey. The car had excessive oil consumption almost from the very beginning. It required one quart of oil to be added every 2-3 weeks (at intervals of less than 1,000 miles per quart addition). We repeatedly brought the car for service and voiced our concerns in at least 5 occasions. Each time we were told by the people at this dealership that the oil consumption “was normal”. We have had many vehicles over the last twenty years, of different brands, and from our experience with them we knew it was not normal. A vehicle does not need one quart of oil every 3 weeks. Our complaints were ignored, our concerns dismissed.

On January 25, 2017, while my husband was driving on highway I-78, the engine suddenly started losing power and within a few hundred feet completely stalled, not to start anymore. Luckily, there were no other vehicles behind, so the possibility of a serious roadway accident was spared. The car was towed to the dealer, it was discovered there that a cylinder exhaust valve had broken off, causing severe and irreparable damage to pistons and the cylinder head. The engine was rendered useless. American Honda rejected to cover any of the expenses arguing that the vehicle had an odometer reading of 100,354 miles, so it was just outside of the warranty period, never mind that we had reported in many occasions the excessive engine oil consumption. We were told to purchase a used engine, which cost us $4,689.51 out of our pocket in engine, parts and labor.

After the repairs, and with the second engine installed, the car continued having excessive oil consumption. On August 24, 2017, less than 8 months from the time this second engine was installed, it also blew up, while driving on highway again. This time, we were informed by the Honda Dealer that there was an internal memo from American Honda, extending engine warranty to 8 years for Insight models 2012 and 2013. They gave us a brand new engine at this time, but we are still waiting for other parts to arrive. They did not contact their customers about the warranty extension on these vehicles, it might appear that they are just waiting for accidents and/or complaints to happen, and only then offer the warranty extension. I believe this is a big safety and warranty issue. I fear for my husband’s and other consumers’ safety.

I have contacted American Honda several times, asked them about them honoring the warranty coverage, and to reimburse us for the $4,689.51 we paid for the first time engine replacement. This request of ours was rejected for without substantive arguments. Therefore, I would like to file a complaint, as this is a big safety issue, as to facilitate an investigation. I have found out online that there are many complaints such as ours, regarding the same excessive oil consumption. While American Honda failed to address this issue, engines for this model started failing at about the 100K mile mark, something that has happened to many Insight car owners. American Honda's dishonesty should be publicized so no other consumer would purchase these unsafe vehicles.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Overall, I enjoy my 2012 Honda Insight. I was sold the car for a really great deal, so I really could not pass it up. I've been driving this car since 2013, and while it's been a reliable car, it's also had its share of problems. The first problem was the oil leakage issue. The car would consume oil at a very fast rate. The check engine light would come on about 2500 miles after I previously took it in for an oil change, when it should be at least 3000. I took it in to Honda and they fixed that problem just fine. The second problem began occurring about a year ago; the windshield wiper blade began falling off on not just the front windshield, but the back as well. I took the car to my local shop and paid for the mechanic to fix it.

Aside from those technical issues, it's certainly not a car made for an even moderately large person. I'm a relatively big 21 year old, and I have frequent back problems sitting in this car when I'm driving it for extended periods of time. I also need to push the seat down to the lowest level in order for my head to not brush up against the ceiling of the cabin. The cabin size is definitely too small for a husky size person like myself, so I'm not sure if I'll be holding onto this car for as long as I expected to. I've rode in a Smart Car before, and even THAT car has a taller/wider cabin than this. Adding on to this, the passenger seats don't have a lot of legroom, unless both the passenger and driver have their seats pulled all the way forward (which won't be comfortable unless they're very short people).

The 0 to 60 is also very slow. Yes, I know, it's a hybrid. But it's a very slow hybrid at that. A Prius has a higher horsepower than this car. Merging onto freeways can be a real pain at times. If you're looking for a speedy car, this car is certainly not for you. Granted, once you get the car going, you can cruise comfortably around 80 mph.

In conclusion, the Honda Insight second generation (specifically the 2012 model) has its ups and downs. I'd argue it's a fantastic city car, not the best highway car out there. Compared to any civic I've ever driven, I'd say this car is inferior, in that it's not as fast, nor is it as spacious, and for both cars having virtually the same MPG, it's really not worth getting this car over the other. I'm currently at 80k miles, so I'm sure my car has many, many more thousands of miles to go, but I'm not sure if I'll hold onto this car for too much longer, considering my driving needs. I like Honda as a brand, but I feel like their older cars in the '90s were much better than the cars they are putting out now (just my opinion).

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

LOVE my car (2012 Honda Insight)!! Bought it new and aside from a couple issues it's been great! The airbag issue was addressed and fixed. Also had HUGE oil consumption issue. There is an internal service bulletin for that. Take your car to the dealership, term them you want the oil consumption test, then they will fix the car, FREE of charge with a year warranty. They had to resolve my rings, pistons and block due to this issue, all FREE OF CHARGE. There isn't a recall and I see many complaints about this issue by different people. Other than that, been a great car! I am currently having trouble with my little engine battery but at 5 years old is time to replace it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: May 29, 2017

Happy with my 2011 Honda Insight. I bought the car to save gas traveling 800 miles interstate every other week. I put in 200+ thousand miles. I maintained a Honda required maintenance. Replaced tires twice, Replaced the so called small battery twice. Now I need to replace the shocks and that is hard to find today. I am ready to do that now. Hard to replace a car this good. Nice Civic Hmmm...

Original review: April 14, 2017
Our 2010 (purchased in 2009) Insight has been a gem of a car with one exception. You can't leave it sit more than a month without it draining its battery and in very cold winters that seems to kill the battery. I'm about to replace the third 12 volt battery. The IMA system seems fine. The car has 99,000 miles on it. We've driven it from NY to California, then to Maine and back. For six years we drove it to Tucson, AZ. But the past three winters it has sat in the carport while we winter elsewhere. When we get home up to three months later, the battery is always stone dead. Aside from replacing the battery (the NAPA guy always asks if it's a lawn mower battery), the car has been an easy keeper. Regular routine dealer maintenance and oil changes have been the only time it's had serving.

It still averages 43-45 mpg, up to 54 mpg on a level highway trip. Wish it didn't have this battery discharge issue.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Reason for review: Great Reliable Car - 2010 Honda Insight LX. Purchased new. 1st Honda vehicle owned. Mostly in town driving, however have taken on out of state trips. Now at approx. 104k miles. Southern hot & humid climate. Have had no problems with this vehicle. Does not burn oil. Airbag recall & replaced. Roof molding recall repaired. IMA Battery software update recall done. All maintenance is done at Honda dealership. Oil changes approx. 2x's year, sometimes 3 when that particular year produced higher mileage. Exterior and cabin air filters replaced when needed. Requested brake fluid flush, transmission fluid service at 88k miles. Replaced tires once; tread currently 7/32nds after 3 years & tires were not Honda tires but Ecopia AEP422 65k tires. Experienced a reduction in mpg of approx. 5mpg after replacing the tires. However per vehicle display getting 46.7mpg currently which is great.

Have not checked mpg other than display. Interior overhead light does burn out approx 2x's a year, replaced dead 12v battery recently due to not driving the car much in past year (assume). Next suggested maintenance is coolant service, drive belt, clean & adjust rear drums. Front brakes at 5mm and original. No problems with IMA battery to date. Would like some forewarning should IMA be getting weak besides a light on the dash if that is the normal indicator. Why is there no test instrumentation that can provide this? Results: As original owner extremely satisfied with this vehicle. Wash and detail the vehicle myself often and find no wear on the paint (normal road paint chipping), door seals, cloth seats, plastic, etc. Headlamps are cloudy but continue to work. No exterior lights have burned out. AC works great and have had no service to date.

Would like a new vehicle with all the bells and whistles today provides but why replace reliability. July 2017 makes 8 years after purchasing, have only spent minimal $$ on maintenance of this vehicle. This one's not a lemon! Checking out the Tesla line on the 3. But if this vehicle still running... Signed: Can't find a reason to replace my car.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Overall it's a nice little car, but the oil burning is ridiculous. I've still got less than 40k miles on the car and I've been needing to add oil since about 25k. The oil light doesn't even come on, luckily I've learned to check the oil when the emissions light comes on. Usually by the time this happens it needs 4 qts of oil. It's pretty ridiculous that I can't make it between oil changes without essentially replacing it in between. Also, people buy hybrids to save gas and lower oil dependence. This is a bit counterproductive, and the required oil isn't cheap!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

There needs to be a recall or class-action lawsuit on the Honda Insight model. I have had excessive oil loss and I'm always putting a quart in. I now have some kind of electrical issue that doesn't allow me to accelerate when I'm going on a small incline without a big pinging noise and if I push the pedal down my car will stall. I have this pinging noise in the engine upon acceleration and upon braking. I have been told that I also need a new catalytic converter on my 2013. I bought this car used a little over a year ago and making car payments on this lemon.

I'm so upset I can't afford to pay for the fix and I don't even know what's going on with electrical. I did have to buy a new battery but that doesn't seem the problem. I drive for a living with Uber and Lyft and am unable to pay for these problems because I can't work because my car stalls on me when I have passengers. This is a major rip off and someone needs to help us on these lemons that were manufactured horribly.

Original review: July 20, 2016

I just bought a second hand Toyota Insight 2012- what a disgrace. A four year old car, just under 89000 has engine leak issue, radio doesn't work, faulty air bag that can kill drivers and consume oil excessively. I took the car to Honda (Glyn Hopkin in Romford, UK) and it appears that Glyn Hopkin does not really care. They do not show a bit of shame, as they did not manufacture the car, they only sell it. The car still looks new from the outside but the engine is build with components that leak. The vehicle becomes heavy to move. Honda is surely aware of the complications with this model, but the recall to fix the engine and the rest are too high.

The dealer (Andy in the service department) asked me for £645 to investigate the leak in the engine and excessive oil issue and the car may stay with them for 2-3 weeks. On that I took the car to Honda. There was another Honda Insight there. They were taking the engine down for the same issue, Andy told me. Andy told me that he is not too sure who would pay to re-fix the issues. I don't think anyone will agree to pay for that, customers have been cheated. If the previous owner got rid of the car because of these issues that I have mentioned, then I don't blame him. It's a real shame on Honda to produce a car and sold it to a high price that is going downhill just after 88000 miles.

But, the most important question is on whose account does the loss goes to, Honda or Customers who purchased the Honda Insight 2012? I think Honda should be honest and take the responsibility for the faulty products that cannot last over 88000 miles. It's a real shame on Honda. Customers please do not trust this organisation ever. Can someone advice me how I can make a legal complain to Trading Standards about this in the UK please? Car Reg: **.

Original review: April 20, 2016

All in all, I think this was a wise purchase. It's not as swift as some cars, but it's got it where I need it. I'm a lead foot and average 38 mpg - mostly city miles in Atlanta traffic. The first day I bought it, I averaged 50 mpg while playing the game with the green vs. blue lights on the dash. I paid it off today just a smidge over 3 years. Yesterday, I babied it and got 45 mpg on a trip in traffic. Pros: My gas cap collects dust. It's a Honda. At 77,000 miles, the only thing I have done is a seat belt recall, oil changes and front brakes (airbags recall forthcoming). Yes, it can go 100 mph, try it. Love the cargo space in the hatchback area. I have fit 8-8' 2x4s inside this sucker with the hatch closed.

Cons: EX wheels aren't so fancy. Interior isn't exciting (beige). Overhead dome light burns out often. Tire pressure alert comes on when it's too cold. Back is a little cramped, but most people don't mind. I beat a Nissan Leaf off the line once (my only victory). I haven't picked up a single chick because of it, but this isn't Portland. Paint is a little suspect. Synthetic oil changes are a little pricey. My next car will be a Volt, Bolt or whatever Honda comes out with in 2020. I'd love a 2016 Volt if my living situation allowed installation of the charging station. I hope the battery lasts on this car so I can hand it down to someone who is turning 16. Would be a great first car.

Original review: April 5, 2016

I bought my 2010 Honda Insight with 143,000 miles on it. It had been sitting on the lot for 3 months. Because of the high mileage and slow sell time, I got a fantastic deal on it. The purchase made me nervous at first, but I had a gut feeling that this was the car for me. I have never been disappointed in my car since the day I bought it, aside from once when the car had a delay when I hit the gas to avoid another car backing into me. I made it out just fine, and I am convinced that was operator error due to panic... I have never had a single malfunction, never get less than 50 mph. I frequently drive from Tacoma/Seattle WA to Portland OR with absolutely no issues.

After one year with this beauty, I am comfortably sitting at 180,000 miles with no worries on the horizon. People regularly compliment the interior when they step inside, as well as add something along the lines of "You need to drive Uber!" or "This looks like a spaceship". The only minor irritations is the lack of lights next to the sun-shield mirrors, and when I drive with my Yakima rack. I can feel the difference in its handling SIGNIFICANTLY when the rack is on there, and it drives me crazy. I appreciate how zippy my little car is when I finally can take the rack off. Other than that, never had a single complaint. Love it.

Original review: April 5, 2016

I have had my 2014 honda insight one year. I had to have in the shop 2 times. Both were senor. The last time they had my car one week I had no car and now my car on the recall list air bags. My car is now at honda. I'm have rental car. They use too much gas and they have my car now 7 days. I was told I am looking at June before I get my car back. Overall I love my car - so good on gas, a lot of room in the back. Miss my car.

Resolution response: March 7, 2016

This is a follow-up to a previous "Review/Complaint" regarding the airbag light that appeared on my dash. I scheduled a service call and was informed that I would have to pay $122.00 for a diagnostic report and that the money would go to pay for the repair if required. I disputed the matter and suggested that the light was a malfunction resulting from a defect in the electrical system. I presented an official recall I discovered on the internet involving the airbag and its failure to engage due to moisture within the module.

After discussing this matter with my service advisor and the service department manager it was agreed that if the problem was due to a malfunction or defect the repair would not cost me anything. They discovered a disconnect or bad electrical connection and contacted Honda Corporate and received approval for the repair at no cost. I was very pleased with the outcome, but if I didn't investigate the matter or raise issue with the approach to this matter I may have been out $122.00 or more.

Original review: March 1, 2016

I decided to purchase my lease. At this time I was required to have my vehicle pass inspection, for which Honda charged. Once the vehicle was checked for any problems I purchased the Honda using Honda Finance. Not thrilled with the % rate, so I paid it off as soon as possible. Soon after and around 65000 miles my airbag light went on. I drove for a while and it went off only to come back on a few days later. I took my vehicle into the dealership and was told that I had to pay a diagnostic fee of $125.00 so they could determine what the problem was.

Here is the crux of it all, and what irks me about the handling of this matter. The light did not come on as a result of a collision and there was no reason for it to come on, so it must be a malfunction, or so I thought. Unless of course they schedule these light to go off when they reach a certain mileage forcing the owner to bring the car into the dealership for the sole purpose of generating revenue and simply resetting the computer because the system malfunction. In either case, there is absolutely no reason this light should be going off and if it does it should not be at a cost to the consumer. Unresolved.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2016

My 2012 insight stalled on the highway due to eng emission light on. Car has done only 60 thousand km and just passed the 3 year warranty. It had to be towed to Honda workshop as it can start but cannot move. Most of the oil had been lost. The car needed a full overhaul to replace piston rings. Now waiting for the engine to be rebuilt. Hopefully the engine can last. It is a very expensive job and damage was not due to owners fault. Honda should recall all these defective engines and replace them to be fair to the owners.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2015

I am an avid Honda lover. So after driving a 2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L for a while, I switched to a 2010 Honda Insight EX. At first, it was a difficult adjustment going from a 250 HP car to the Insight. But, I have grown to absolutely love it. I haven't had any issues with the battery dying on me, even after leaving it sitting for two weeks. I notice that when it's really windy the car tends to blow around a little on the highway, but that applies to any light car. I have a Yakima roof rack and bike rack attachments installed on the top of the car, which I think makes it look a lot more sporty and attractive, as well as useful. It is difficult to find aftermarket parts for the car since it isn't as popular as a Civic or Accord, but the gas mileage makes up for it, even with the roof rack. The interior is great as well, with the lights and other quality assets, such as the radio. All in all, this car is great. I would recommend it to anybody.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2015

My wife car 2012 Honda Insight was bought brand new and at 30K miles, I discovered the car uses oil and requires addition of oil, one quart every 1200 miles. I brought the car to the dealership and they added the quart of oil and told me there was no leak. I kept informing them of the problem and kept record and receipts. Finally after 5 or more visits to the dealer and at 60K miles they agreed to replace the engine block after my wife gotten stuck 2 times. Within one month span, Engine light came on, the car won't start and the second time the car won't perform going up hills no matter what we tried to do. We towed the car both times, complained to customer service and the manager and then they agreed to perform the repair.

Battery is similar issues as the other posts where the battery test showed the battery is based within 2 years. The new engine block is fine now and the car doesn't uses oil. However I am concerned that the additional wear and tear experienced by the transmission during the issues my wife encountered between 30 and 60K may cause other problems with the transmission or the rest of the powertrain in the future. The other complain I have is the lack of power going uphills with full load of 4 people in the car.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

Let me tell you my story. I drive a 2004 Ford excursion Diesel 6.0 me and my wife was talking about if we die we should trade in the truck for a Honda van. So we drew all day looking for a Honda dealership we finally found one in Van Nuys. We talked this was going to be a good dealership and treat us with respect and kindness. I needed a van because my wife is going to have another kid and that's going to make our family was four so now it's going to be six of us - that's a big family.

So when we walked inside the dealership. We were greeted by a guy name ** on this date 8/12/15. He asked me and my wife what are we getting for. I told him we are getting for a van. It will fit six. He showed me a silver van 2008 Honda Odyssey. It was really nice. My wife told me she really likes it. We should get it. I told her OK so we got it and my wife for me was very happy before I sign the papers. I ask him one question "could I take off my equipment off my truck?" He said it was no problem, "you can have anything you want long as you don't not destroy the truck".

I used to do search and rescue. I had a lot of equipment installed on the truck - was no joke. I had a bunch of stuff like sirens, speakers, lights on top of the truck, lights in back of the window, on the side of the window, on the bumper. This truck was for search and rescue. The loaded it was like a fire truck.

It was really awesome. I would hate to see go but I have to give it up.

I judge the van for three days. The second day I called the dealership. I ask him did they finance me for the van. They said "yes". I was very happy to my wife. She was very happy. I ask who is financing me. They told me Wells Fargo. I told him "OK" so I went down now. The next day took off. All my Quitman off my truck. Cut the wires with a box cutter. Took out all my equipment. Cost me a lot of money just to install the equipment. Probably paid up to 25 or $3500.

He called me on the third day and told me he had some bad news and some good news so I'll ask him what's the bad news first. He told me the bank cannot finance me for the van. I kind of got pissed off and I ask him what's the good news. He said "oh but they finance you for 2015 Honda Odyssey". Know I was thinking in my head something is wrong - no **. When I went down knew something was wrong. He tried to get me into a 2015 Honda Odyssey as a lease for two years for 350 for Mark. He is crazy. I did not take that deal. I told him to give me back my truck now so they gave me back my truck. When I got back my truck I noticed some parts were missing off it. I was missing one key - a chip key. A police interceptor sticker. A brake control module to tow the trailer to send a signal from the front to the back on breaking. And some aftermarket lights.

So I talked to was in charge of that time. They ours so for giving me the one around sending me to order dealerships trying to find the parts. This is not right. I work very hard for those things. I don't have that much money but I try to make. My truck is nice. I am very upset. I am tired of this. I contact at least 20 people. I called the dealership. I called the main office nobody returns my calls. I called at least 20 or 50 times. I complained. I complain and complain but they don't give a ** about me. I just want my key and my parts back and they can kiss my ass. I will never buy a Honda or walk into another Honda dealership again.

This is how they treat people. This is wrong. I am going to take him to court - small claims court or I am going to try to get attorney because me and my family are stressing. It will hurt from what happened to us. This is wrong - very wrong and I have to take money out of my pocket and fix my fix my truck back how it was. This is going to take me a very long time just to do this. I'm very upset up so that's my story. Sorry if it was long. That's exactly what happened to me and I will never buy a Honda again or step into a Honda dealership. This is how they treat people. This is wrong - screw them. If you going to buy a Honda do not buy at this address 5355 Van Nuys Boulevard Van Nuys City 91401.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

Hi I have 2010 Honda insight ex. Great car all aspect but if I don't drive it for more than 2 days the battery is gone, rather than that it's just a great car. Reliable. I love it. Tires are hard to find and somehow expensive.

Original review: July 6, 2015

I left my 2010 Honda Insight parked for 4 days while I went on a trip and the battery died. I did not leave on ANYthing that could have drained the battery. My car has about 50K miles. I read another entry on this site and found that this happened to another person who had left his Insight parked to 2 weeks and got the run around from Honda Dealership when he took it in to get checked. The solution seems to be... don't leave your Insight parked for more than... 4 days, drive your Insight on the Highway at least 30 mins everyday, make sure you have an Auto Club if you go on vacation so you can get a jump when you return.

Original review: May 14, 2015

I have two used 2010s, a bright blue LX bought in January 13 with 31000 miles on it, and a metallic grey EX with nav bought in Jan 14 with 17000 miles. The trick with these cars is to put the right tires on them and then to find the right tire pressure for your driving style. IMHO the Dunlop P31 OEM tires are crap. They don't last long and they don't handle terribly. I replaced them with sets of Yokohama Avid Ascend orange oil tires--the ones that grip more as they heat up. They make the Insight drive like an Accord, a very great improvement. The difference is phenomenal. The Avid Ascends are warranted to 85000. I keep my tires at 45psi. I think with the Avid Ascends it tends to wallow at 35 and above 45 the road noise and ride degrade. 45 gets me good mpg.

Second--if you can--find a station that has no-ethanol regular. There's a website, puregas, where you can find the nearest station. Fortunately there is one in my little town. The performance of the ICE (and therefore the charging of the battery) is greatly improved by using true regular, which has about a 3% higher power density over 10% ethanol gas. You will notice that in your gas mileage.

Finally, don't rely on the readout for fuel mileage. It is almost exactly (with large scale sampling) 7% too high. So my vehicles are averaging from the gas pump--not the car info display--right around 48mpg. That's a very respectable figure, about 2 mpg short of real-world full size Priuses (see www.fuelly.com to get the straight mileage dope) with a car that is so much more fun to drive. Hope this helps: Switch to Avid Ascends, ethanol-free gas, and 45 psi on the tires and enjoy the ride, the handling, and the very good mileage!

Original review: May 14, 2015

My Honda Insight is burning Lot of oil before I get to my next oil Change. I have to put in more oil because my emissions light keeps coming on. When I checked the oil there was no oil on the stick - I added 2 1/2 quarts of oil. Took it to the dealer. They topped off the oil and said bring it back after 1000 miles of driving it. This is the third time this has happened. They found no oil leaks.

Original review: April 7, 2015

I bought my 2012 Honda Insight LX with 41K miles on it. It checked out with a local mechanic after I bought it. I drive 40-50 highway miles per day and average 45 MPG. Highway speed averages 45-70 MPH. When I drive locally, my MPG drops significantly and I average 40 MPG or less. No whistling noise above 50 MPH as others have mentioned. I updated the on board computer software for the battery in November 2014 after a recall was issued and noticed no change in MPG. Does tend to struggle up hills but otherwise no problem. I average 50 MPG on drives to Los Angeles.

Original review: April 2, 2015

I purchased a Honda Insight 2012 not even a year 1/2 ago. My insight keeps having an emission light appear. The first time this happened I checked oil and NO OIL! I have now had this happen at least 3 additional times and each time I have to put oil in before the next oil change! I keep reading this as a problem with this model... WHY IS HONDA NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE! This appears to be a common problem. I have maintained my vehicle as instructed, no other issue other than this problem. I am taking my car into the dealership to have it looked at. Truly unhappy about this if I end up having to pay a big bill for this when this is something that could be a RECALL due to defective parts that I have no control over.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

I bought my Honda Insight in 2010. Puny as it is, I understand the limitations in its flimsy build to be the actual reason for its "fuel efficiency". I have never obtained mileages more than 51 mpg, which is a very good number to start with, anyway. The car hovered around 48-49 mpg for the past four years. In the past six months, after the battery recall, my mileage is steadily dropping every few days, and stands at around 38 mpg as of today. Another three months and I will be in the regular Civic mileage zone. Any cure for this or am I doomed! I was a happy customer, and now I am not. My three stars do not reflect my current state of mind, and the good experience I have had with this car for about 3.5 years until this point.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

I have a 2010 Honda that has been running well until now. The dealer changed the code a couple of months ago from a recall supposedly so the battery wouldn't appear to be low but now I get almost 10 miles per gallon less than previously. Thirty-six miles per gallon is not a strong selling point when they advertise it should get 45-48. And also the windshield washer doesn't work any longer since the recall maintenance. I only have 17,000 plus miles on it and I am thinking of getting rid of it because this is the second recall and things are starting to go wrong.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

We purchased our Honda Insight new in August of 2009, and we have put over 47,000 miles on it and still love it. I tend to accelerate rapidly and drive slightly over the speed limit, and I average 43 mpg. My husband works at keeping the gauges in the green (it's almost like a video game to him ;-)), and he averages over 50 mpg. The only minor annoyance has been that we get a low tire pressure warning whenever the temperature drops. At first, we took it to the dealer to check it out and turn off the warning, but now we just add some air with a bicycle pump, and the warning turns off.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

I own a 2010 insight. Bought it with 3 miles on it. Now has 56000 and going strong. Have done regular maintenance on it and doesn't let me down. Get great gas mileage. Full tank last me about 2 weeks. The only repair I have is the battery, other than that it's great. The truck is spacious and the back seat is big. Downside - no cruise control. Have had 2 other Hondas and all are great.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2014

I purchased a used 2012 Honda Insight and had problems with the motor right away. I took it to the dealer several times when the Check Emission System warning light came on. They could not figure out the cause but they did notice one plug was fouled. After a few trips in and out of the shop, they decided replaced the whole motor (large block) with a 2014 motor. Fortunately it was under mftr warranty and a $5k-$6k repair, didn't cost me anything. It looks like there may be something defective with the 2012 motor so be cautious when purchasing. If you are considering a purchase, I recommend that you have a mechanic visually inspect the spark plugs and do a compression check. My hats off to the Honda Dealer Service Dept. They were awesome!!! On a side note, I own a 2002 Honda Civic with 150k miles and still going strong.

Honda Insight Company Information