Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.58/5

GMC Sierra

The GMC Sierra is a full-size, heavy-duty pickup truck. Read more General Motors reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

208 GMC Sierra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I leased a 2017 Sierra Denali about 1.5 years ago. The truck has been great so far at 18500 miles. Last week the front camera went out (runs intellibeam light function and low speed collision system). It is being replaced under warranty as we speak. I have had several GM trucks and SUVs since 2001, and they have all been reliable, mostly well built vehicles. The magnetic ride control on the Denali is very nice. The interior fit of the truck is also pretty good except for the plastic wood trim. On a $55000 truck it should be real wood. I have also never been able to get the wireless charger in the console to work consistently, but apparently others do not have this problem.

The Bose stereo sounds good, the LTE wifi is convenient, and the seats are comfortable and nicely made, even though they are only about half leather. The synthetic leather is really good though and honestly probably more durable than real leather. The LED headlights are only mediocre at best on low, and good on high. The dual glove compartments are helpful and there is no lack of storage in all areas. The 8 speed transmission shifts nicely, but it takes a few seconds to go into reverse when started first thing in the morning unless you let the engine idle for 10 to 15 seconds. It has always done that and otherwise goes into reverse immediately. I just put it down to some kind of electronic startup procedure that it has to go through.

The 5.3 v8 is a remarkable engine. It idles smoothly, delivers as much power as you need when asked, and gets pretty amazing gas mileage especially on the freeway. The 6.2, which is what my wife's Escalade has, is amazingly powerful and nearly as efficient even in that behemoth. I suspect it would be really awesome in a lighter truck. Between the suspension and the engine I frequently find myself going 85 or 90mph without realizing it. It is governed to 98mph. I routinely get 21-24 mpg and have gotten as high as 27 for short periods of time, usually only if I am going 65 or 70 mph though. My last couple of v8s were lucky to get 20 under similar circumstances. It's really remarkable how efficient these engines are. I am currently driving a v6 Canyon and that engine barely does better on fuel economy than the 5.3 v8, and is worse than my 4.3 v6. The AFM operates well and I cannot tell when it deactivates cylinders.

I have had no issues with oil consumption. I also cannot hear any lifter ticking like I could on my 2014 V6. GM have really done well with this series of trucks-they are much better than the 2013 and below models. I do wish a 6.5' bed was available on these, but the short box is serviceable. The sprayed bedliner is tough, but a bit too abrasive compared to line-x, and I really like the cargo bed LEDs. There are plenty of tiedown points, and the OEM insert ones are easy to install. The dampened tailgate is nice, but I dont care for the locking function that operates in synchrony with the doors. I find I am always trying to open it after locking the truck, which locks the tailgate. I supposed those who have tonneau covers appreciate this feature.

The corner steps built into the bumper are awesome and convenient. The paint quality has improved also. My 14 chevy chipped paint very easily. This truck does not do that, even on the front and rear bumper. I would recommend this truck to anyone. It has a lot of very well done features and is generally deserving of its high price.

Original review: June 21, 2018

GMC 2012 Sierra has been amazing. It has an excellent performance rating and on top of everything else we love the style, color, make and model of it. We love the TV and the extra seating in the back. It fits our daughter and our dogs comfortably for a road trip! The heating/air conditioning in the back is great too! overall, It is an amazing truck and we love it a lot! It has been a great hot car for our family!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

GMC Sierra is an excellent vehicle with his sensors of getting out of your lane or the front and back sensors save you from having an accident or alerts you before and you can avoid having an accident. WiFi is an awesome thing that you have in this vehicle because if you're still in school you can be in the vehicle submitting assignments. Also the navigation system helps you a lot to get to one place and other. While I love my Sierra, I don't like that thing you step on to get on the truck because they have a plastic thing that with time it cracks.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My experience with my GMC Sierra 2500 has been good. It is a truck that can handle all the terrains, from the daily life of the city to a rocky or mountain terrain. It has a power that yields according to the use. Maintenance costs are balanced, no surprises in terms of repairs. I consider it an incredible option for men in the house. I like how spacious it is. That allows me to move loads without worrying that the shock absorbers can be mistreated. I also like how tall it is. It's a great option to drive safe and with style. But I do not like that it is not easy for me to park it in certain places. It takes up a lot of space and sometimes it is difficult to find a place for example in the shopping centers.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I chose this vehicle because of the old fashion look, and it is not sluggish if a speed is needed. It has smooth ride and very dependable. Drove from the West Coast to the East Coast 4 times. Also from AZ to WA state 4 times. Never any problems. It has low maintenance, lots of leg room, trailer gear works great too. The color was important to us and the purchase price was on point. But the turn signal lights in front collects water/moisture. Replacing bulb often. I dislike the grill front and did not like the wheel size. After a few months, I purchased larger wheels. In addition, a bit of factory tinted glass could be used at the front windshield.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GMC Sierra?

Original review: May 23, 2019

At 9600 miles my 6.2 motor blew up and almost ended my life while traveling at highway speed on cruise control, in heavy traffic, on the NYS Thruway. Luckily it didn't lock up or I might not have survived. 18 days later a new 6.2 engine direct from the factory was installed. The very day I picked it up, the second stop I made it wouldn't start. 34 consecutive days later without my truck, I finally get it back after starter was replaced, fuel lines, fuel pump, and cam actuator. 3 days later, truck stalls out again at highway speeds and won't start!! GM does nothing but refer me to my dealer who have been great. I had a start issue with my 2017 Chevy Silverado at 30k (4 different times), never resolved. Why I'm here. Why am I here??!! New 2019 loaner truck with 2k on it and the service 4WD light is on!!! Been GM for over 30 years and I don't have a choice but to move on from all this. BUYER BEWARE!!! Oh, PS, truck is still in shop. GM won't even talk to me anymore.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I bought a 2008 Sierra new in 2008. It now has 163000 mi on it. A ticking noise developed on acceleration. I took it to the dealer and was told it had a bad cam. $5300 to repair or $7750 for a new engine. They charged me $139 for this bogus info. I knew it did not have a bad cam. I took it to an independent service dealer. He told me it had a faulty active fuel management.. (runs between 4 and 8 cylinders). Told me to disable it. He did not charge me for this info. I disabled it and it runs better than new. Talked to GM customer service, they didn't do anything except lip service. I just wanted my $139 back for telling me erroneous diagnose. In the last 52 years I have bought 22 GM vehicles. Never again!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I bought my 2014 GMC Sierra on 2017 with 20k miles on it. Within a month I noticed that the paint was peeling in the bed of the truck. I bought it to the dealership and because it was still under warranty they repainted it for me. About six month later I notice the paint was bubbling off the doors. Took it back to the dealership and neither the dealership or GMC would assume any responsibility financially. (Warranty was expired). I had to spend over $1,000 to get my doors repainted. Within several month of me getting the doors done the paint is bubbling off of the roof and around my windows. I know there are many people who are having this same problem with this particular year GMC and Chevy.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Have had new GM trucks since 2010. A new one every year, brand new truck drove off lot and Have had the 8 sp shutter in trans ever since, driver's seat has a bad spring which makes terrible noise. Finally got fed up now. Has 5000 miles. GM will not warranty and repair seat, reprogrammed trans and made the problem worse. GM is losing a customer. I'm going to go to a Ford. It's sad when you buy a truck that cost almost 60k and this is the quality of product you get.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was nearly killed on the job as an Inspector on a Highway project when I tried to pull out of my lane closure and the drive train and/or brakes locked up on me after accelerating above 5 mph. The dealer is unable to find and fix the issue. Don't drive any of the 2019 GMC pickups for extended periods and/or leave in idle. Unfortunately for me for my job I need to do just that. I am now terrified to drive my truck and it is only a matter of time before I am involved in a serious accident.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I bought a 54K GMC Sierra Denali 1500 thinking that it would last for a while without any issues. Boy I was wrong. I had an engine light on and took it the dealer to repair. They told me that it was the fuel injectors and it wasn’t on my 100000 powertrain or the emission warranty. It is going to cost me $1,600 to repair. I only have 62K miles on it and I take it in religiously for routine maintenance. What’s next? The engine? I should have did more research on GMC products.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Bought 2017 GMC Sierra Denali and had nothing but problems with transmission. They changed transmission fluid, it didn’t help. I have taken it to the dealer 4 times. They said it is a software problem but nothing has help. My truck still under warranty and I am very seriously of getting me an Attorney under the Lemon Law.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I wouldn't buy on until they fix their junk. A trailer disconnect Lane departure Lane assist all this comes on when you're driving on a road. This only happens when it's cold outside when the temperature is below 20 degrees.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

8 Speed transmission hesitation since new. Several trips to the dealer. 3 transmission flushes now. Replaced torque converter, shift module and did some valve body work. Still no change. Dealer suggested that I trade my 2017 Sierra in on a 2018 model. I’ve suggested that GM just replace the transmission. I’m sure GMC will just “wash their hands” on this and I’ll be stuck with it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My 2016 GMC Sierra has started leaking water into the cab when it rains. It has destroyed my headliner and caused mold and mildew to grow. Dealer states that the housing for the sunroof is faulty and needs to be replaced ($1200). They refuse to cover under warranty as I am inside the 3 year but over the mileage (59K).

GM customer care came up with a "resolution" by offering me 10% off the repair to fix their mistake and sheepishly apologized for the "unexpected cost".

Sunroof has been used a total of 2-3 times since I've bought it, so wear and tear is not the issue (it has let more water into my truck then actual sun). I did not want a sunroof but bought it off the lot with the "upgrade" already there, my only mistake. Either the housing was installed incorrectly or the parts used are faulty. I now have to hand over $1100 (but thank god it's not $1200 anymore!) to correct GM's mistake. At the end of the day, I am a rational person; GMC has product issues just like any other manufacturer. The faulty product is not what disappoints me, the companies lack of integrity to stand behind their product is. Was planning on upgrading to the 2500 next year but will now be going with F-250 (even if I have to pay 10% more to order without the rainroof).

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra with 82K Miles. Loved the Truck and options in it. However, shortly after purchase I noticed when truck was rolling in gear transmission would shift into or out of gear very hard. Took to GMC dealer they checked out and said everything was normal. This is not normal, never owned a vehicle that shifts so hard you can feel it. Truck has recently started to vibrate around 40 MPH, will take back to GMC dealer once again. Attention Buyers, there are tons of complaints out there about related issues. Do your homework first...

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The starter location is worthless. I have been working on trying to change it for 6 hours and cant get the damn thing off. Whoever did this has ruined me for GMC Duramax. I will be selling this truck and I will never buy another one in my life. I wouldn't take one for free. I'm so angry I just wanna set the truck on fire and watch it die. GM is absolutely worthless.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have owned my 2014 GMC Sierra SLE for about 2 years now and have had nothing but problems with the A/C. I live in California and A/C is a must. I have already replaced the A/C air compressor line for $600. After that was fixed the A/C condenser went out and I have been driving around all Summer with my Windows down to keep cool in this California heat. I was told it would be $1200 to replace the condenser plus labor. My GM certified mechanic is telling me he runs into this problem with these models all the time and that I should reach out to GMC to get some assistance on the repair.

The GMC rep hits me with a "after reviewing your file GMC will not be assisting with any cost." I was shocked at the level of Customer Service I was given. I asked why and she just repeated herself. She did not try to help me out at all. She did not try to come to some sort of resolution that would keep me as a happy client of GMC. I was just hoping to split the cost in half since this is a known problem with these models. I'm not looking for a free hand out. Hell I'll even take a couple hundred for assistance to replace this condenser, but instead it looks like GMC is just going to tell me I'm ** out of luck. If this isn't made right there is no way I will be buying a GM truck ever again. Those Toyota Tundras are looking nicer every year.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The GMC Sierra 1500 has good dependability. It has safety options included, as well as radio, OnStar and backup assist. Love the color and interior options. Love the sleek design too. It has no road noise, okay gas mileage and I'm happy with dealership. But it has a bit boxy body. I would like the hood/top area not be so straight lined, rather have a slope type design like the 2000s models.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I like that it's a safe vehicle. I feel comfortable driving it and I liked the rear view camera. I had a decent experience with the truck and we've put a lot of miles on it. But the service department where we get the truck's oil changed at isn't very good at doing their job. Also, it's a huge vehicle so it's hard to back it into parking spaces. And there's not enough leg room in the back seat. The GPS isn't very precise and the car detailing should be included once a year as part of their vehicle service package. The WiFi should be included and not have to pay extra for it.

Original review: June 4, 2018

5.3 L V8 Active Fuel Management - Bought a 2012 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew cab in November 2017 with 60,000 miles on it. Cannot put into words how happy we were to buy this truck. Worked very hard to get us out of the old, falling apart Chevy. Paid $27,000 for this truck just 6 months ago and now it's worth next to nothing. There was something wrong with it from the start, it would constantly go from V4 to V8 within seconds. Loud vibration drone sound when it would be in V4 for all of 15 to 30 seconds then back into V8. Was consuming over a quart of oil between oil changes. TICK, TICK, TICK I know lifter noise when I hear it. Was told this was "Normal".

Driving down the highway one week ago, (Had owned the truck all of 6 months now) and out of the blue the StabiliTrak and traction lights came on, flashing check engine light came on and the truck ran like an old buggy. Immediately pulled in to the nearest safe place and limped it to a shop. Misfire on cylinder #1. Collapsed lifter. Brought it to the Chevrolet/GMC dealer where I bought this and they ran the diagnostic codes: Verified that there was a collapsed lifter, an oil leak etc... etc... how much to fix this? (this is an estimate mind you) ELEVEN THOU$AND DOLLAR$. (Seriously folks, this enters the level of insanity).

Technician states he never has ever heard of this being a problem with Chevrolet/GMC trucks. Google search shows THOUSANDS of results for this exact problem. It has to do with the Active Fuel Management system and also the bore hole size and the lifters themselves. This should be illegal. Loyal Chevrolet/GMC consumer for 35+ years. NEVER AGAIN. Also, when I slow down there is a sudden THUNK like I've been tapped from behind. There is a short in the auxiliary port in the radio, the voltage meter is constantly varying, there is a rattle in the engine that sounds just like a hard foam ball rattling in a tin cup. The truck is just, "off".

Original review: May 31, 2018

We have used the 2004.5 GMC 2500hd to tow our heavy 5th wheel RV over 45,000 miles and it has performed flawlessly, never had any issues. Replaced original front brakes at 130,000 miles due to a warped rotor and replaced the glow plug controller which failed but did not have any effect on starting.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The GMC Sierra's trim is cheap and poorly put together, water leaks into the door frames every time it rains, all the speakers either don't work or work sporadically. Key fob stopped working after only 5 years.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I had to get my transmission rebuilt on my 2014 GMC Sierra at 120,000 miles. Not a huge issue, but I keep meticulous records on my vehicles. I also had a 2001 GMC Sierra that had the same issue at about 108,000 miles. I'm noticing a pattern here, and will probably never own another GMC. All the service work was done at the GMC dealership I purchased the vehicle at. This does not mean anything to GMC. Simply a buyer beware to anyone considering purchasing one of these vehicles.

Original review: March 14, 2018

1996 GMC Sierra - Truck frame is so rusted that it looks like the truck has been totaled. Bed has been replaced, but the frame is not repairable. The brake lines are rusted and brakes have went out and caused me to have to drive into a ditch to avoid a wreck with another vehicle. This is insane and I have seen several other GM trucks that look horrible with the amount of rust that you can see, I have also seen older GM trucks that look like the bed is sitting at an angle due to the rusted frame. GM should be ashamed.

Original review: March 4, 2018

2017 GMC Sierra 2500 pick up truck: My truck goes from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive (or vice versa) on its own. The radio changes stations on its own. Goes from Sirius to FM on its own. Radio display screen and steering wheel display screen change - screen shows miles per hour and then suddenly changes to what's playing on the radio. My telephone will work sometimes/sometimes not while connected to Bluetooth. Heaters changes options on its own. Right turn signal goes from normal to superfast on its own. Periodically the radio doesn't go back on after phone is disconnected - must manually turn on. GMC says it can not replicate and has "engineers" checking it - so far no results - I hardly ever have my truck since someone is always checking it at GMC. Any ideas? Anybody else having these problems? Help! Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Bought my truck (2016 Sierra 1500 SLT with 6.2) new December 26, 2015. LOVED the truck, bought the truck. On way home from dealership I noticed noises from the transmission. Took it back next day and told have to drive for 2,000+ miles so the vehicle learns me and how I drive. OK so 2,000 hits back to the dealership, told they can't find anything wrong. Keep driving does it worse and also now clunks when goes in reverse. Take back to dealership again and told they have to reprogram and they need for a whole day to do this. No problem. Pick up and does immediately in the dealership parking lot. Park again and go back in. Told I have to drive again for 2,000 miles so I do. Does worse so take back again, told nothing they can do. That's it's operating as intended... really?

Now 2 weeks ago my bf was driving and the breaks went completely out. I thought he was playing around as I had never had an issue with breaks. Yeah last night they went out on me when pulling in garage. Went to stop so I could back up and move over a little more so I wouldn't hit garage, Yeap you guessed it... it the side of my truck on the garage. Nice scratches to go with it. NOT a happy girl. Called dealership today and they suggested having OnStar tow to them and they will look at it. So on the way to the dealership right now for no breaks. I've lost count of how many times I've had my truck at dealership. I had an Avalanche previously and never once had an issue with it. Decided to upgrade to a nice new GMC with all the options I really wanted including my BOSE speakers, larger motor, tow package. Guess the jokes on me as now she's being towed to dealership. LOVE my truck but hate all the issues.

Updated on 03/05/2018: They have had my truck 11 days now and GM says it's ok to pick up my truck and drive with an intermittent brake issue. So I pull out of the dealership can't stop and get killed by a tractor trailer or hit a small kid in grocery store parking lot is OK with them and no reply. I can't even in good consensus trade truck in as the fear of someone whom buys my truck having brake failure and getting killed because GM did nothing to fix the problem. Not sure what to do. I want my truck fixed.

Updated on 03/19/2018: GM still refuses to do anything with my truck, still claiming it's safe to drive, which it is not. Local dealer is still trying to figure out what's wrong with my truck. They have had since Feb 22, 2018 almost a month now. Owner of dealership has ordered me a new truck. I know I will have to pay to move into new truck but do very much appreciate local dealership making sure my truck is safe to drive. Owner of dealership agrees she can't just sell my truck to an unsuspecting buyer also, which makes me happy. My fear is trading it and have someone else get hurt due to the failure. Glad someone is taking it as serious as I am.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Warning for anyone looking to buy a 2015 Sierra Denali... both the transmission and 6.2 engine are junk. Just had my litters and camshaft replaced at 140,000 miles. I have babied this truck from day 1. GMC doesn't know why? All services have been done at the required frequency. Transmission has never shifted right from day one. Dealer says that's just the way those trucks shift. Pretty Sad. I have always been a Chevy and GMC fan. Time to switch to a Dodge.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

A beautiful truck (used GMC 3500 Sierra crew cab) to look at but it is still in the shop. First break down was the TCM during the HURRICANE. We were evacuating from South Texas. It broke down about 60 miles from the coast. I limped it to a Motel and we stayed there for 3 days until the storm had subsided. Finally got it home then a wrecker picked it up there. Then two months after that the DEP system went out and it is still in the shop even after a new tank and line were installed. Damn thing goes into limp mode after being driven about 10 miles. I will never own another GMC product. They are JUNK and that DEP system is the biggest piece of junk ever thought of. I have already spent $2000.00 dollars on it and have had it only one year and drove it maybe two months of that. I will never buy or own a General Motors Product again. Because they do not give a DAMN about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have owned a 2015 and a 2016 GMC 3500 one ton Denali. I've had nothing but problems with both vehicles. I purchased these top of the line trucks because downtime in my business will put me out of business. My current 2016 Denali has 24,000 miles on it and the HMI modules has gone bad. We spent a whole day at Hart GMC in Salem, VA to have the problem diagnosed and it finally was around 2:30. We were supposed to leave town on Monday but had to stay in town until Tuesday when the HMI module would be in. It's almost a week later and we have never received a call from the Dealership. We called several times and were told to call back later. We contacted GMC customer service 10 times and no one will do anything about this. We finally had to leave town to get back to our business. We've lost about $5000.00 because of the huge delay leaving town.

Hart GMC in Salem, VA and GMC customer service have treated us very badly and our $70,000.00 truck still does not work properly. GMC is not professional grade and neither is their customer service. GMC has lost a life long customer and I wouldn't let Hart GMC work on my lawnmower. We have had numerous other problems with these trucks but this is the last straw!

GMC Sierra Company Information