Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.32/5

Dodge Nitro

The Dodge Nitro is a compact SUV that was produced from the 2007-2012 model years. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

63 Dodge Nitro Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2015

Just over 3 years ago, we bought our 2008 Dodge Nitro. Over the last year, we've been having problems with the headlights coming on by themselves. If we drive at night, the dash lights will dim or go out completely. We have to disconnect the battery cables so it doesn't drain the battery. It's really frustrating. I've never had this kind of problem with a vehicle before.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro. One week after purchasing it, while driving it my car shut off, had no steering since it locked up. I called place I bought it from and they would not do anything about it. Three years later still have same issue. I will be at a light or driving down the road and out of nowhere it will shut off. Very scary since I usually have my kids in the car. It does turn right back on but it's still the point that someone from the back can hit you while you are waiting to turn it back on.

I also had an issue with my back windows not going up. You can hear the motor running but will not go back up. I also brought it back to dealer for a recall that needed to be done. They said they didn't have the part for it after keeping my car all day. I called back in two days and they said they can't do the recall because supposedly it has been done already, but when I brought it in first time they said it hasn't been and that's why I'm having some issues. This car has been a headache since the week I bought it and will never buy a Dodge again.

Original review: July 27, 2015

Not gonna go into too much detail, just going to list all the problems I have had with this pos. Bought it factory recertified. Hahaha. At 2 weeks after purchase, cracked head. Gas spills out when fueling. Airbag light is on - waiting for it to deploy on me. Car locks me out. Door lock switch doesn't work. Service engine light goes off and on. Water pump went out. A lighting bolt light comes on and then the car stalls and then it won't start for a while. It's been to the shop over and over again. Now that the warranty is up on it. I have a lemon that just keeps breaking. Help us consumer affairs!

Original review: June 7, 2015

2007 Dodge Nitro - This MONEY PIT is a POS! IMHO one of the worst engineering offerings Dodge has ever given! From breaking parts made of plastic to designs that make some parts impossible to access, I'm ready to put this PITA on the curb with a sign that says TAKE ME... But I'm just not that cruel to someone else!

Original review: May 29, 2015

So I purchased a 2007 Dodge Nitro about a couple months ago thinking they were pretty reliable vehicles. Never heard of anything going wrong with them or heard any bad stories about them so I thought okay. Well when I first purchased the car it was used and I was unaware of the cruise control does not work. No big deal take it to the mechanic to get it checked out but he came up with nothing. First red flag. Secondly on random occasions the radio would change. Second red flag. I'm no expert on cars but I know enough about them to know that this was an electrical issue.

Two months since I purchased at the dealership in which I got it from were unwilling to help me with anything. At this point I started speculating on whether or not I made the right decision by vehicle in first place. So at this point I started looking on the Internet to try and fix the issues myself to try and fix the cruise control. It wasn't long before I stumbled upon websites where I found nothing but bad complaints about the vehicle and similar problems that I was having. I started doing research and reading further long about how many people were experiencing the same issues. Not to mention another incident I had with the car where I turn the car off for roughly 3 or four minutes after the vehicle had been running driving fine, I was only going to check my mail.

As they went to start the car there was no power!!! Nothing. Not a crank, not a tick, not a burp, not A hiccup, NOTHING. Really suspicious after the vehicle is running and driving perfectly fine. Eventually we started it about couple hours later. It was a major inconvenience. So I continue researching the vehicle and come to find out people are having issues with the car turning off out of nowhere completely losing power while driving. I was immediately alarmed. What if that happened to me while I was driving, I began to worry because I knew there would be nothing I could do if it were to happen. There will be no signs before hand.

As crazy as it sounds a week later sure enough my car lost power while I was driving. I was going about 5 miles an hour think goodness in reverse and suddenly nothing breaks, got hard steering, will lock up and I'm stuck . I went to turn the car back on and there went started right back up. Super weird and crazy to think out of nowhere vehicles loses all power and then starts right back up afterwards. Can you say electrical issues?? And then come to find out everyone else the 2007 Dodge Nitro experienced the same thing?? Is it a coincidence or does it look to me there's something wrong with the 2007 Dodge Nitro which seems to me the Dodge company has not done anything about since they are still selling these vehicles on the market and letting other dealerships sell them as well?!?

Without any warnings, any recalls, or any signs that we would be experiencing something too, so could be a life or death situation. Imagine driving down the freeway 65 to 70 mph and all of a sudden losing power like some of the other 2007 Dodge Nitro purchasers experienced! THIS IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING THE DODGE MANUFACTURER SHOULD HAVE ADDRESSED TO THE CONSUMER AUDIENCE BY NOW! I'M frustrated beyond belief because there is nothing Dodge will do about this??!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Nitro?

Original review: May 18, 2015

I purchased a Nitro 2007 last year from a friend who owns a used car sales business. He sold me the car at an amazing price with very low miles. I had it checked out and it all seemed to be in good working order with less than 50k miles. I know it was not intended on his part and he has repaired everything at cost but I am paying for a BMW and driving a Dodge. I purchased it during winter so I can't blame anyone but the a/c was my first repair. Followed quickly by window motors going out, broken drivers door handle, passenger side window will not roll up using driver side button. I had the tail lights replaced & they couldn't get it to work. I've replaced the fuel pump recently because I drove to Florida and stopped to get gas and the car would not stop for hours. Up next, wow! My transmission is going out.

Thank you Dodge for this POS you created. This was my 1st and last dodge. I would buy back my 10 yr old Saturn in a 2nd. Not sure if Dodge is associated with them but I'm sure they will screw up anything.

Original review: May 12, 2015

2007 Nitro SXT - Do the math! 229,000 miles with brake pads changed only twice, three sets of Goodyear tires, one door handle and that's opening up at least 10 times a day for five years - fixed diy 20 minutes $18, one DS seat base cover diy $28, one set of spark plugs $36. DIY! Never replaced rollers, never needed front in alignment, has a softer ride than it's cousin the Jeep. Plenty of power and still gets 20 mpg. No complaints!

Original review: May 5, 2015

Great looking car but it isn't worth your money and stress!!! I've had this car for just two years and I have already ran across many problems. There was a few incidents while I was driving, the car would shut off while it was still in drive on the freeway and streets. I couldn't even use my brakes to slow down! When I took it in to get it checked, the shop said it was just my starter. They did nothing about it. When I'm getting gas, it ALWAYS spills out making me waste my money and having gas spilt all over me. My visor clips are broken due to how it was designed to being flipped around, which I don't understand at all as to WHY. My window buttons are broken and always comes unclipped. My passenger side lever to adjust the seat forward is rusted and broken. My a/c gave out on me just shortly purchasing this car. Gas sucks, it eats up gasoline like crazy and the interior feels like plastic. Car rides are always loud!

My car always sounds like it's struggling when I drive up a little hill. I am never purchasing a dodge again! This will be my first and last time! I don't feel safe when I drive it and I don't feel like I made a good investment with Dodge! How have they not recalled this car yet? Are they not seeing the similar complaints? All the similar problems with the car?! My car has less than 128k miles and is only 5 years old. I don't understand why there's so many problems. I want someone to do something about this!

Original review: May 2, 2015

I bought a Dodge Nitro R/T in 2007 when they first came out. Issues with the car since include: wiper motors failed, control console for windows and door locks replaced 3 times, faulty oil filter put on car and blew engine, auto window motors failed, luggage rack (never used) has 3 broken spots and seal has separated at front of car.... Multiple recalls, had repairs done and issues occurred again..... Dodge dealers have always been very accommodating but my car has been there far too many times. I will never buy another Dodge product.

Original review: March 27, 2015

Junk is all I can say. My drivers side inner door handle has broke multiple times so my husband finally fixed it with J-B weld. Not pretty but it works. My driver's window switch has also been broke since last summer. I had a bad experience trying to order a replacement part for $85, was the wrong part because you need the VIN # to assure the correct part so still no working switch. Therefore I have to open my door to use drive ups/throughs!!! Slides easily and didn't feel safe until my husband bought some big boy tires... better but still not the best ride. Gas mileage is about 16 for my daily driving and up to 19 highway miles... not great! The gas sprays out when filling up so be careful! 4 wheel drive is the only part I like... SLT 2006.

Original review: March 20, 2015

Shuts off while driving..no warning no nothing..and nobody can tell me why.

Original review: March 18, 2015

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro. I've had nothing but electrical problems with it. Every time something gets fixed it will set something else electrical to go off. Couple weeks ago it LOCKED MY BABY IN THE CAR. If I did not have a spare key. He would of been in there for a while or I would of had to break a window. If that would of happened at a mall or a store I would of been charged. There are more people having the same issue with 2007 and 2008 Dodge Nitros and this is a huge safety issue and now I'm terrified to even drive the car. I've been dealing with a case manager from Dodge and all they can say is, "Sorry your car has 135,000 miles on it," or "Sorry your car is 8 years old." So that means Dodge cars only last 8 years then it's okay to lock an infant in the car?! NOOOOO. These cars need fixed or to warn people about them. Ridiculous I put my whole life savings into a car that I can't trust. Thanks Dodge.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

I bought my 2007 in December 2006. It had no markings on it to tell me if it is an RT, SXT, ST or what. I had to use my VIN and Google to find out. My A/C has never worked properly and living on an island where we have sun most days, it gets pretty hot and when it rains it's worse because then you boil in the hot car. I have replaced the left back light about every 3 months because it keeps melting, and the headlights keep blowing also. The passenger right windows don't go down unless the driver puts them down and both inside handles have had to be replaced.

Currently the driver side handle is now broken and I have to open the door from the outside. The doors lock and unlock on their own which is a safety hazard. The engine and tire lights are on constantly. The wipers constantly stick and will turn on if I hit a bump while driving in the off position and when I do turn them on I have to turn the knob and hold it for a while to make sure it turns off. The coolant has leaked into the car. And the seats get very dirty even if plain water gets on them.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

My Dodge Nitro was passed down to me when my uncle died. Since I've had it I've replace the water pump twice and the car locks me out when I push the unlock button on the keypad. The instrument panel lights up, the fans in the engine turn on and it will not let me in the car unless I manual use the key to unlock it. The check engine light comes on and goes off whenever it wants. The roof rack is broken. The driver side handle is broken from the inside. I have to roll down my window reach out to open my door. The back passenger door lock is broken. At one point two of my windows were stuck open for 3 days. Gas spills out every time I fill up. The tire sensors have a mind of their own. They tell me I need air when I don't. I think the oil warning light is broken or it never worked.

The vehicle turns itself off while in gear at a red light. The brakes wear down very quickly on this vehicle, don't know why. I've replaced the passenger side hub assembly. And just yesterday I've noticed a loud grinding noise when I try to put it into 4 wheel drive, so I put it back into two wheel drive and the sound remains. It will not stop grinding. Dodge had a good reputation in my eyes before I owned this vehicle. I feel like I own a lemon and something must be done. Someone must pay and I think that someone is Dodge.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2015

I purchased my 07Nitro in Feb 2010 with 16k miles.. have already replaced both back window regulators. In 2013 had to replace water pump. My driver window switch has broke and I had to use a knife to even get the window to roll back up in the pouring down rain on vacation (lovely vaycay). I have now been faced with the fuel spilling over and was told there was no recall. I read a previous blog and they said it was fixed because of the recall. Can someone pls let me know if there is one.... I would run my car off a bridge if it wasn't almost paid for and I could afford to do that. That is what the salesman at the dealer even told me (how nice of him). WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN!!! This car has ruined it for me.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

2009 Dodge Nitro Problems - I am one payment away from having my car paid off and 2 months ago the wheel bearings and u joints went out already that cost almost $900 to fix and now my defroster works with heat but no heat comes through my vents or through the floor. I have not been using the vent heat for the last 2 years because every time I do it smells musty and burnt so now I have no heat. I am afraid of how much this will cost to fix, parts won't cost much but labor will to fix this. I researched it and probably will cost between $700 and $900 to repair this now. My one door lock in the back will never open, you have to unlock it manually. The seat upholstery is very difficult to clean as well, they want you to buy cleaners from the dealer. My car has 106,000 mile so I am sure nothing will be covered. I will never buy another Dodge either.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

Besides the other issues and recalls for the 2007 Dodge Nitro. My newest issue is the fact that the car doors won't lock when you press the lock buttons on the car doors, or when you use the key fob (yet for some reason I can unlock with no problem). I have to manually lock all the doors when this happens, however I am unable to lock the trunk/back door at all because it doesn't have a lock built into it! So no matter what, everything in my car is at risk of theft because I can never fully lock my car. This creates a safety issue for sure. I read online to call the Vehicle Safety Hotline: 888-327-4236 and report the problem. They took a thorough statement and I feel they can make some headway on the issue if more people report it. Please call them if your locks don't work! This is a very common problem and more people need to report it so it can be recalled.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

I have had several issues since I bought this car, it constantly spilled fuel when trying to gas up, things just break or fall apart inside and outside and the latest is door automatically locks or unlocks on it's own without me using the key. I have to try to manually unlock or lock my car and when I am trying to do so, it locks or unlocks itself. Almost like it's possessed. I have taken it to the dealership several times and they finally fixed the fuel issue because of the recall. This car is garbage and I am never buying a Dodge again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2014

I am the owner of a Dodge Nitro RT 2008. Upon investigating my ABS module, diagnosed by the dealer, problem I have read many concerns and similar issues that other owners of the same vehicle are having - Dodge Nitro Forum. It is with great concern that this may be a manufacturing issue since most have very little mileage on the vehicles. Mine alone has only just over 63,000 km and some with less. I feel this needs to be investigated by the manufacturer and possibly a recall done on these modules. I look forward to receiving feedback on this serious and very concerning issue that we 2008 Dodge Nitro owners are facing.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2014

Where do I begin? Purchased my 2007 Nitro in 2008. Started off with not too many issues then it began. One day the sun visor clip broke, days later the second one broke. My gas spills all over when I go to fill up my tank, which I can never do now in attempts to prevent spillage. Rear passenger door handle has broken. When I select my right signal light and turn it off, the left one blinks for a few seconds. It seems everything on the inside is plastic and just keeps breaking. Just the other day, the window switch in my drivers side broke. I am beyond ready to get rid of this car and never purchase a Dodge again.

Original review: June 2, 2014

2008, the dealer recommended to replace the top roof railing because I had a recall on it. After they replaced, it came off and they didn't fix it. It is still loose. The emergency brake never worked. A couple month, it just didn't start, dealer told us it is the starter. The gas constantly was spilling out of the gas tank, but was fixed due to the recall. Now the a/c just stopped, it made some noise and started to smell. Right now we are without a/c. This was the first dodge and probably it will be the last.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2013

My door locks will not work and my door handle cracked. I cannot lock my doors but I can unlock doors. I have to lock doors manually. I will not buy another Dodge.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2013

I leased (39 months) and then purchased my 2007 Nitro in April 2010 before moving to FL. While up north, I had to replace the electrical control switches on both driver and passenger arm rests. I also had to replace the window regulator for the passenger front door. Since moving to FL, I had to replace the driver side rear window regulator and on 9/11/13, I placed an item in the back seat and upon closing the door, heard metal clunking from within the door and the window fell halfway down. It would not close using the electrical switch.

Went to Palm Dodge in Punta Gorda and found the same regulator was replaced on 9/12/12, exactly one year ago. I never open the rear window, yet the POS regulator fell apart. While I have a bumper to bumper warranty, it still cost me the $200 deductible. I was told by an anonymous mechanic at a Dodge dealer up north that the design for water drainage contributes to the window control switches shorting out and regulators rusting and falling apart. Nice to know NOW after having wasted hundreds of dollars. Once I finish paying this car off, I will never, ever get a Dodge again. The gas mileage is poor (I had an Intrepid for 6 yrs before the Nitro) and neither vehicle has averaged above 16 MPG even on the highway.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2013

We purchased a 2007 Dodge 4x4 Nitro from Jeff Wyler in Springfield, OH and have had nothing but trouble with the A/C. It starts off with a terrible burning smell and eventually stops working. We have brought it in now 4 times to be replaced within a 1 1/2 yr. period. Seems to go out every 6 months requesting an explanation as to why this part keeps going so bad and, as of today, still have not received any answer as to why other than the service man stating, "This is the part they want to keep putting on". We just picked it up again last week after it was replaced for the 4th time and I am now smelling burning again starting all over. Not to make matters worse but we actually had to pay 3 times prior to this for the same warranty part, one time being over $300.00 which is ridiculous.

We never get a straight answer and it's always the same and 6 months later, we're back in the same situation. I hate this vehicle, will never buy another Dodge vehicle again and to make matters worse, Dodge, Jeff Wyler has the worse customer service. They are there to provide a service and can not even do that correctly! I would without a doubt highly sway anyone from ever purchasing a Dodge vehicle! If this truck burns up on me somewhere down the line with my two daughters in the vehicle after we have repeatedly, time and time and time again, complained about this vehicle and the part, someone will be held accountable!!!!!!!!! ANGRY MOM.

Original review: July 22, 2013

In 2012, I was in an accident and I am well aware that I impacted the vehicle pretty hard. My airbags did nothing. When I went to have my vehicle fixed, I was asked how come the airbag's light was not on and if they had deployed; I had no answer for him. Not only this but I have been without a/c since the end of July of 2012. The clutch in the compressor has been replaced 3x and my car almost caught on fire with my stepdaughter and husband in it. This occurred on Friday and as of now I am not going to keep replacing the clutch because it keeps getting burnt out. Please someone tell me if there is a recall on it or my bags... Right now the panel to the transmission has rotted as well and this is a practically new vehicle. I do not think my family should be going through this ordeal with such a new vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2011

The overall experience was great with the dealer. But the vehicle I purchased was a Dodge Nitro 2007 and every time I fill my tank with gasoline, it spills all over my truck, myself and on the ground. I work with the disabled and that’s why I purchased this vehicle. 4x4, good gas mileage, reliable, roomy. I brought this back to the Subaru dealer I bought it from and I purchased a 2-year warranty that will not fix the problem.

My concerns are that there are numerous complaints regarding the same thing. Why has there not been a recall? Is Dodge waiting to have a lawsuit from a consumer or a place of where gas is purchased due to the over-spillage on their property (at least 4 or 5 cups)? Now that being said, I work in a field which this is a hazardous and extremely dangerous for my clients to be breathing in the fumes for 30 minutes after this happens. I will wait for a response.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2011

I own a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The A/C compressor and dryer went out on the vehicle. I have never had an A/C compressor go out on a car that is less than five years old. I was told that it is my responsibility to get the car fixed. I asked to speak to a customer service supervisor and was told that that wouldn't happen. As a consumer, I have the right to speak to a supervisor. I chose a rating of one because zero wasn't available.

Original review: July 9, 2010

I purchased 2007 Dodge Nitro from Bruce Campbell Dodge, Inc. This automobile has been nothing but trouble since I've had it. It was brought in on five different occasions for the windshield wipers that would go out while I was driving in pouring rain. The problem was never resolved and they are still malfunctioning today. I pulled the sun visor down to block the sun and the mirror part broke , the door handles broke off and I have to let the windows down to open both the passenger and drivers door to exit the vehicle. My passenger seat in the front was never fixed properly. The door lock on the drivers side broke off.

This vehicle has been nothing but a headache especially since the warranty has ended. Most of these problems occurred while under warranty and the dealer fixed the problems but they kept recurring. I will never buy another Chrysler product as long as I live and something should be done about putting faulty vehicles on the market for sale. I am a 64-year-old senior, this was to be my last car that I would purchase for a long time and when this is paid off you can believe I will never purchase another Chrysler product. I have always purchased American-made vehicles and I will continue to do so in the future. So, I bought a total disaster in Chrysler but I won't make that mistake again.

Original review: May 11, 2010

We had purchased a dodge nitro 2007 from Dodge dealer. Unfortunately, we have had electrical problems with the vehicle. We have taken the truck to the dealer many times for the same issue and yet not resolved. I called the company and told them how they can help me with the problem. Their response was that they could not help me. I have 2 kids and the car left me stranded in the street. I explained the issue and they just wanted to keep selling me warranties. I told them that they never fixed the problem to begin with, why do I have to continue paying when the problem was not resolved, they did not want to hear it. I need help with this matter. Can someone call me and help me? Thank you.

Original review: June 27, 2008

The heated driver's seat melted and became puffed up the first time I used the heated seat, on the way home after purchasing my new Dodge Nitro 07 left over.(the car had 20 miles on it.)

I just found out that there is a "Silent Recall" going on only to those buyers that raise a fuss over their defective "Leather Seats".They sent my Nitro to R.I. to have "REAL" Leather seats installed. I also learned that so far 2100 replacements have been done..Dodge is going to pay for my new seats..but they first tried to say that it was "normal Dodge wear".I feel bad for all the trusting people that beleive that.

Dodge Nitro Company Information