3.71/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Dodge Dakota

The Dodge Dakota is a mid-size pickup truck that was discontinued in 2011. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Dodge Dakota Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

Bought brand new 2006 Dakota 4x4 extended cab V6 ($28.6k). The lot was full of them. I offered $20k. They accepted! Today it has 70k miles. Yeah, it sits a lot. Combined MPG @ 20. NOT a strong motor. @ 2008 the instrument lights started going off a minute or two after they were turned on. Never got that fixed. @ 2012 Tie rods failed. Luckily it happened just as I pulled into a Target parking space and not on the highway. Replaced tie rods & ball joints. @ 2013: Blown head gasket. Big bucks. @ 2014: Body started rusting excessively. Started in bed around driver's side wheel hump, now there's 2 big holes. Driver's side rear door bottom is rotting away. (I should have washed the underside in the winter more often. Plus, it's sits a lot, not being driven.) @ 2015: Blown head gasket. Big bucks.

@ 2015: Wheel bearings replaced. 2019: Excessively rusty passenger side exhaust manifold started leaking. Bolts were rusted solid. Replaced whole thing (with heavy labor costs to back out broken bolts). Right now it's running okay and I'll drive it more. I'm thinking about replacing the driver side, back door and

the entire bed, as there is an excellent body shop near me. The cost of a replacement 4x4 p/u is astronomical new or used.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I bought a 2006 Dakota several years ago. It only had 65,000km on it. Cost me almost $17,000. To date I've spent close to $8000 in repairs. I now have a problem that the dealership can't diagnose. Operating cost of this vehicle (not including gas or insurance) averages approx. $2.69/km. Imagine a100km trip costing you $269.00 and you haven't even factored in the gas or insurance to drive it. I will never buy another Dodge or Chrysler product.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The 2005 Dodge Dakota is very nice. It was in our price range and was the right size for our needs. It fits our family in its five seats with seatbelts, and plenty of space for our children. It has a cd player with am FM radio, and really nice speakers that work well. Drives straight and the engine works well. We have a smooth ride and we use it to drive back and forth to work. It also does well in the snow and has a bed and a tailgate to haul stuff. I like it, but it needs gas all the time and that costs a lot of money. I wish the car would clean its self. There are a lot of cup holders, maybe too many? Sometimes the dash lights don't come on at night, but that's ok though. We use a flashlight if necessary.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Love the Dodge Dakota. It's reliable and sturdy. Easy to drive. The 4 wheel drive is smooth. And easy 4 wheel drive switch over. Drives great in the snow when in 4 wheel. Its body shape is better than other trucks. Like the extra cab. Very roomy. Size of body is not too big. The color is different. No power windows, no power locks, and no air condition. Back end is a little light and barks tires all the time.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Good truck (2006 Dodge Dakota). Comfortable to ride in, very well built, plenty of leg room in the front. Easy to work on and fix. I like that it has a CD player and have a light in the back for the truck. Bed heated side mirrors are great in the winter. Overall it has been a great truck to own. Very happy with it. However, there have been few mechanical issues and not rust which is important living in Maine. Also, the mileage is horrible. It also ride a little on the stiff side. Would like a little more give in the suspension and I find the heater works a little too good for the small cab space. It's hard to get it warm without feeling like you're on the surface of the sun.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Dakota?

Original review: June 12, 2018

It's a 1998 Dodge Dakota so it has a lot of miles on it but it's the first four wheel drive I ever owned. The engine and transmission seems to be in good shape. It just needs a lot of TLC. At least it's cheap on gas and it's got a V6 engine. What I like best about it what's the price $1,500 250 down and 250 a month so it won't take long to pay it off and then I could spend some money on fixing all the little things and hopefully someday rebuild it completely. However, the thing I hate the most about it is a color ugly red color. I like Browns and greys or even black Beats red. Maybe I'll get it painted someday.

Original review: May 2, 2018

2010 was last year for Dodge Dakota, the 2011 Dakota was built by Ram. The last 5 vehicles my wife and I owned were Dakota crew cabs 4x4s, we always have a bed cover about hauling luggage and tools about working around the house, will ride 5 people comfortable, and sits lower than the 1500-2500 rams about getting older people in and out. Gets better gas mileage than the Durango, even though it was built on same frame, and you can haul gas for the mower without putting it in the cab like a SUV.

My last 2002 had 312000 miles, only maintenance was replaced rotors on front because of bad caliper, 1 water pump, and 3 sets of brake shoes. Very little out of pocket, the one before it had 262000 miles, had 3 water pumps, 2 were rebuilt, put on new one, no more trouble besides regular maintenance. I feel let down that Ram dropped this product from its line, it wasn't too big to get in a parking place, nor so small if you wreaked, you felt that you would be killed, the rollover on these vehicles were 5 star for safety like the Durango.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I'm not sure where to start. I got this 2004 Dakota truck financed off a lot, without warranty at 117,000 miles: Worst mistake I've ever made in my life. This all has happened within matter of three years. The first day I got it, the exhaust pipe broke loose. Took it back to the dealer and all the dealer told me to do was to cut it off. I refused to do it, so I just got it repaired at the shop, which cost me 100.00. Body started rusting within a matter of months. The truck later suffered a blown head gasket, which cost me 1,200.00 at the shop. A brief time later, the water pump went out, which I replaced myself for around 60.00. After that, a radiator hose busted; took 20.00 to replace myself. Transmission went out a month or two later, and that cost 800.00 for repair (not a bad price, but costs are accumulating high at this rate). Several months later, tie rods and ball joints needed replaced: shop charged roughly 400.00 to replace.

Brakes went and had to replace those at 40.00. At this time, I've only owned the truck a year or two. Transmission goes back out and costs 1,400.00 to fix. Had to patch a tire shortly after fixing transmission. Several months later, 4×4 control module went out, so I couldn't change from 2×2 to 4x4. Replaced at shop for 80.00. The transmission goes back out for a third time, this time leaving me stranded in the middle of the road. The shop charged over a grand for repair. Door actuator broke, and remains broke to this day, so the driver's side back door won't open. Oh, and did I mention it leaks oil? I'd recommend a bicycle or moped before a Dodge. Do yourself a favor and dodge a Dodge!

Original review: June 30, 2016

Bought 2004 Dakota SXT new June of 2004. It has 178,000.00 miles on it now. Aside of doing the brakes, I've replaced the ball joints, valve cover casket and water pump. This truck runs better than new, I use Mobil One oil since day one and use Marvel Mystery oil in my gas and oil. NO rust at all, I live in CT and they use a lot of salt in the winter so I bring it to the car wash at least 3 times a month in the winter to wash the under carriage. Truck looks new, I get around 21 MPG. Change the oil every 3000 miles and the tranny oil once a year. Powering steering fluid once a year and so on.

Original review: March 4, 2016

Purchased a 2005 quad cab 4wd in 2006 with 7000 miles, $20.000. Under warranty the clutch master cyl. went out, fluid leaking inside cab. Dealer fixed. EGR went out, dealer fixed. Warranty expired, EGR went out again, not repaired. Window reg. broke, dealer replaced. Window regulator broke again, dealer replaced. Driver seat recline handle broke, dealer replaced. 60,993 mi. instrument cluster lights died, had to have cluster replaced, $580.00 later we had dash lights again. Around 60.000 mi. the front stabilizer bar fell off, had both link pins replace with heavy duty pins another $200.00. 77105, tie rod end came apart while driving down mtns. What a thrill!!

Had it taken to a local shop, they also found a wheel bearing was going. Another $827.67. 110.146 upper and lower a arms, both bearings. 111.960 mi. 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts. Taking it apart will have to have heads machined. Spotted coolant leaking, found water pump was leaking. Found main power cable behind eng. insulation disintegrated, will have to repair in order to prevent fire. TELL YOUR FRIENDS NOT TO BUY A DAKOTA!! I CONTACTED DOT TODAY, COMPLAINT FORM IS IN THE MAIL.

Dodge Dakota Company Information