2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.59/5

The Dodge Dakota is a mid-size pickup truck that was discontinued in 2011. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Dodge Dakota Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Dakota?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Dakota?

Original review: March 4, 2016

Purchased a 2005 quad cab 4wd in 2006 with 7000 miles, $20.000. Under warranty the clutch master cyl. went out, fluid leaking inside cab. Dealer fixed. EGR went out, dealer fixed. Warranty expired, EGR went out again, not repaired. Window reg. broke, dealer replaced. Window regulator broke again, dealer replaced. Driver seat recline handle broke, dealer replaced. 60,993 mi. instrument cluster lights died, had to have cluster replaced, $580.00 later we had dash lights again. Around 60.000 mi. the front stabilizer bar fell off, had both link pins replace with heavy duty pins another $200.00. 77105, tie rod end came apart while driving down mtns. What a thrill!!

Had it taken to a local shop, they also found a wheel bearing was going. Another $827.67. 110.146 upper and lower a arms, both bearings. 111.960 mi. 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts. Taking it apart will have to have heads machined. Spotted coolant leaking, found water pump was leaking. Found main power cable behind eng. insulation disintegrated, will have to repair in order to prevent fire. TELL YOUR FRIENDS NOT TO BUY A DAKOTA!! I CONTACTED DOT TODAY, COMPLAINT FORM IS IN THE MAIL.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

When I bought my '97 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 SLT 2WD for $950 3 years ago it had 108k miles (from a small used car dealer). It had been horribly taken care of by the previous owners. It had 20 large dents in the body and box and at least 30+ small dents (no hail damage either). It had just the front suspension modified and lowered. No a/c, heat, blowers, radio. After fixing all that I lifted the suspension 6" and went from 225/75/15 tires to 35 inch tall by 11.5 inch wide. Added offroad light bar over the windshield. Two 6" LED's on the front bumper. Added two 15 lb tow hooks to the front frame. It was flame red, but I plasti-dipped it flat black, and desert tan bumpers and bought and plasti-dipped the camper shell.

I haul cars, and steel building materials (trailer weight about 3k-8k), and do industrial construction in central Oklahoma and south Texas. It hasn't let me down at all. And I live practically in the middle of nowhere on a rough dirt cutout road. It now has 389k miles on it. I've had to replace the tie rod ends, front bearings and hubs, a/c unit, water pump, radio, front shocks. All of the things were replaced due to previous owners not taking care or up keeping the vehicle. In all I love this truck hands down. It's outlasted my buddies multiple full size GMC trucks, and their full size engines. :) Currently looking for a 2nd Gen 4x4 Dodge Dakota/Durango for a trail riding, camp, and summertime lake vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

I bought my 04 Dakota sport quad cab 4.7 V8 with 30k on it. I got home with it and a couple of days later blew front main seal. Warranty covered that. By 60k ball joints were bad and I've replaced front axles twice. Tie rods have been changed. Positive traction has made a grinding sound ever since I got it when I turn onto other streets. I used Lucas and kinda overfilled it and it's quieted it down. 4.7 is very weak and gets terrible mpg's. Changed manifold gaskets twice and it has a tick again. I've since freed it up with performance cats and faster system. Flush the underbody religiously but still have rust holes around wheel wells. No body rust because I've taken very good care of this truck.

Has 138k on it now and front main is starting to leak again. At 50k the transfer case started leaking. It got over tightened and couldn't get the plug out after that. So now I have that to repair. Replaced brakes 6 times on this truck complete. Brakes work good under normal conditions but if I have to stop quick the abs will just click and I'm nowhere near the point of them locking. It's an accident waiting to happen. It's just a shame cause it's a really good looking truck. I thought when I got it that it would be perfect. A midsize with a V8. I figured it would get ok fuel economy and have plenty of power. Should stop well too. It gives me none of those things. The only positives are it looks and sounds good, it's comfortable, and with my mud tires it will go anywhere. Should be a lot of recalls though.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I purchased new from the dealer a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 Quad Cab. Now in 2015, I still drive the thing with 186,000 miles on it. Yes, there have been the usual repairs and replacements like ball joints, brakes, etc. A lady rear-ended me in 2009 and a body shop replaced the rear bumper. Her little car was basically totaled. I live in NH and rust is always a concern from the salt the snow plows spread on the roads. But the rust on my truck now is quite bad. The rear passenger wheel well is flaking away. And 2 years ago I needed to get some welding down to the frame. The rust is getting so bad under there, it would not pass inspection. I think parts of the frame are hollow and when water gets in there, it can't escape. Overall, I have been happy with this truck, but am sad the rust is going to limit its life.

Original review: May 24, 2015

Tie rod on one side fail off then on the other side the inner and outer tie rod were slipping in and out of one another's stripped threads. The steering got real hard for like a year now it makes a funny noise and is real soft. The bearing is bad. The transmission is grinding when I shift from 2nd to 3 gear. I mean it is a junk truck and all this happens under 90000 miles and the interior is junk, both of my sway bar links are broke.

Original review: April 12, 2015

Well I was doing an oil change on my 2005 Dodge Dakota. And I noticed when I popped the hood that my fan was rubbing against the plastic shroud... so I put my hand on the radiator and it moved! So I took the plastic covers off and noticed the only thing holding my radiator up was the hoses!! My whole support rusted away! Why would Dodge put a cover over the bottom of the radiator?!? It holds the rust and salt in it! Please recall these trucks! They are junk!

Original review: March 26, 2015

I have put 2 power steering pumps in my 2006 Dodge Dakota 3.7 2wd. Going on my third, buying brand new from dealer, re-manufactured pumps are not the way to go, apparently. I have bled the lines, checked the actual PS box for any signs. Nothing has worked. I guess I'll see how the new one goes. And I seen someone saying their Dakota is reving really high? It's your IAC sensor. Take filter off of throttle body, you will see a little slip almost like a smile under the actual butterfly valve, spay B12 or carburetor cleaner inside slip, tap with a hammer to kind of shake it around. Worked like a charm on mine. It was also reving really high right at about 5,500.

Original review: March 3, 2015

I purchased my 2003 dodge in 2006 it had 28000 mi on it. After about a month it started to make a tapping sound the dealer said it was a bad injector. "How much?" He said "$165." I said "do you warranty that? This is the problem then fix it but if it does not fix the problem then I won't pay." Well he didn't fix it. So be it. After I examined it myself and found that it was a cam fowler of lifter. I also took it in for a vibration from the rear suspension.

When I put the back windows down it sounds like a helicopter. They said that they couldn't find anything wrong and could not hear any noise. Well they must be deaf because if you put the windows down it sounds like you are in a helicopter. It's crazy. So I took it to sears. They could at least hear the noise and feel the vibration but didn't know what was wrong. I put new tires and new shocks on it twice. If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

The air bag is off and it dings 36 times before it goes off. Now the motor on the drive side window quit and there are three lights on in the dish.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

I have a 2010 Dodge Dakota Big horn. It has been a great truck except for my turn signals. Sometimes they don't work at all and sometimes if you turn on the signal to go right the left one blinks or if you go left the right one blinks. Has anyone had any problems with this? Because I'm scared my wife may get in an accident because of this because this is her vehicle to go to work. They may work today but you never know when they will go out or start saying the wrong direction and cause an accident. Please Help.

Dodge Dakota Company Information