Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.71/5
Based on 97 reviews that contain star ratings

Dodge Caliber

The Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that was produced from model years 2007-2012. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

101 Dodge Caliber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 2, 2018

Dodge Caliber was driving great until transmission started to go out and transmission is a CVT. Too expensive to repair this Dodge Caliber transmission. I really loved my car and hate to rid of it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Bought a 2009 Chev Caliber brand new- yeah what was I thinking! Had to replace parts constantly over the years, did maintenance and oil changes faithfully. Just got the final straw to call an end to my suffering. Endless expensive repair bills- a 4,000 repair. Good riddance, goodbye now. Selling as a mechanics special for next to nothing. Never buying a Dodge again!! Not impressed at all!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

My husband purchased a used 2007 Dodge Caliber. Admittedly, it was an as-is sale. Our gripe is just as much with the shady dealer who most likely knew about many of these issues and failed to disclose them for the sake of the almighty dollar. Forget the fact that we have children that are taken to and from school every day in this vehicle. I simply do not understand how someone can sell a man an unsafe vehicle, then have the nerve to offer to help install the car seat. But, I digress. This car has been nothing but problematic since the 3rd day after driving it off the lot. First, it was sold with a large crack in the reservoir for antifreeze (not a mechanic, not sure of the technical term, sorry) and the dealer sold it with absolutely no antifreeze. He even told my husband "oh, that's normal for this car, my wife's car does that too. It's not overheating, it's just heating up," when the engine showed it was overheating and the check light came on.

You know those cheap RC cars that feel like they're made of plastic? That's what this car feels like when driving it. It creaks at low speeds, and maybe it's a personal preference, but we very much dislike the fact that it is so easy to slip it into manual from automatic, even by barely nudging it. The power windows do not work, and the doors creak and moan so badly when trying to open them you'd think they were ready to fall off. The dashboard is extremely large. You could sleep on it, it's so wide. It really takes away from any leg room, and this car has very little of that to begin with. It feels like driving in a big plastic bubble, but one that could be easily popped. I am embarrassed to admit my husband paid nearly $9000 after financing fees and we're stuck with this car until we can pay it off. Any ideas to reduce our losses and salvage this situation are greatly appreciated.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I bought this car in 2013. Worst car is not enough to start... I bought with 98,000 miles. Got extended warranty... 3 months after the transmission went out... so now it's 2017 on its 5 transmission all under warranty I can't get anywhere. I paid 10,000 for the car and have yet to drive a full year. So last transmission they put in August of 17 and on Christmas I was driving with my kid and it would not move out of middle of road with pedal all the way to floor. So guess what? Back in shop... I just hate it all. I have nothing to drive to get me back and forth to work and have no money considering the place I took my car to said to be covered for transmission. They had to clear codes and charged me 2000 dollars... I should have had them keep it and put it toward a new car.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Well where do I begin… Bought the car (2007 Dodge Caliber) in 2011. Had it paid off 2016. Shortly after that in March 2016 I had to get new oil pan installed, lower ball joint, right outer tie rod and to have oil filled plus 2 hrs labor which totaled 100.00. In April 2016 I had to replace the rear subframe - so it costs me to get a 2nd hand one 300.00 plus pay for the gas to go get it. Then I had to have some put on the subframe for me which then I had to replace 2 link rods and have him cut and remove muffler and pipe off of my car plus labor which totaled 250.00. In September 2016 I then had to get 2 rotors. Replaced brake pads plus labor which totaled 163.00. In October 2016 I had to get upper control arm, outer tie rod plus labor totaling 158.00. April of 2017 The trail link bushings had to be replaced plus labor totaling 202.00.

June of 2017 I had replace 2 rear lower control arms, 1 rear upper control arm, left assessment link (rear) and 1 front link rod in front replaced again. With labor totaled 386.00. Now today Wednesday September 13, 2017 I was leaving work and the front driver's side control arm rusted right through and broke in half making my car lock up and wouldn't move. There was oil pouring everywhere. I'm sorry to say that DODGE CALIBERS are JUNK and I will not be purchasing anything Dodge again. The company should be ashamed of themselves of making this type of car. A VERY DISCOURAGED AND UPSET OWNER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Caliber?

Original review: July 8, 2017

I have a 09 Dodge Caliber SXT. I'll be driving close to 20 miles or a little more if I'm doing between 67 and 70 miles an hour on the highway. By the time I reach my destination my car will overheat, the light will come on and then there a loud whiny sound especially the more you press on the gas. Eventually the car will not want to go but around 20 miles an hour the more you drive it in the situation. You have to pull over and wait about 20 minutes then it's fine to drive again but also I noticed when you're climbing hills your RPMS are between 2 1/2 to 3 if you keep the car's RPMS at 2 and at the most you won't have as much of a problem and if you drive 60 to 65 miles it's fine as long as the distance is not too terribly long. Otherwise the overheat light comes on.

So with this being said there is absolutely a problem. Not sure what is causing this issue but it has nothing to do with the radiator or fan in the car. It's something about when driving the car at a certain speed along with distance that the car gets in distress that the overheat light comes on and then the whiny yeeeee sound happens then if you keep pushing it then it goes in limp mode like 10 to 20 miles an hour that can cause a serious accident on the highway.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I purchased a 08 Dodge Caliber in 2012. I loved it. I didn't have electrical windows due to experience with other vehicles and the motor going out in the window of the car... long story short every year I had to replace the alternator, I replaced 3 batteries, also replaced the struts 2 times, the AC has gone out. Not only that my driver side doors won't open and my car has not been wrecked and now the studs on my driver side has fallen off my car and the part is 320$... I'm so tired of replacing parts on my car and Dodge collected the price of 2 cars from me and they still do not want to discount the parts nor do they feel like they should do anything about it... this is the last Dodge car I will be buying.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I hate my Caliber! But found out something interesting. If you are having problems with your transmission, are hearing a loud banging, or it doesn't seem like it's shifting... Look into the alternator. My Caliber was having all these problems. I thought for sure the transmission was shot. Turned out that my transmission was perfect and my alternator was about to freeze up. Replaced it and it's quiet as a mouse. The alternator wasn't putting out enough to control the computer that controls the shifting in the Caliber. Just some food for thought before you take your to a garage and pay over $6000 for something that can be fixed with a couple hundred bucks.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I purchased a 2008 Dodge Caliber 3 years ago. Found out last week after hitting a bird that because of the rust (kbar) it was undrivable and unsafe. The car has less than 87k miles and not even 10 years old. Yet it has to be junked. Fixing the car is far more than it is worth! This is a known issue and DODGE refuses to do anything about it. This is caused from a bad design and protection. It put my family and others' lives at risk not to mention wasting money and resources on something designed to fail fast.

Original review: April 9, 2017

After reading all the reviews I feel really lucky. I have a 2008 Caliber. Yes, I did have some repairs completed over the years. Water pump at 83,000 miles. Two batteries in eight years. Replaced all four struts at 120,000 miles. Replaces all front end parts at 150,000 miles. Right now I have 163,000 miles on my Caliber and it's still ticking. I wasn't happy about the water pump, or the second battery. However all the other repairs were wear and tear issues. Not sure how long my car will keep running but so far so good. I still get 27 mpg. I did get a new car, but still use the old Caliber for work and trips to the store. Hope to get 200,000 miles. But won't put any more money in it.

Dodge Caliber Company Information