Chevy Cobalt

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had my Cobalt 11 years. Bought it about 1 yr used in 05. Had issues with the ignition shutting off but after recall work was done it's never done it again. I have put many parts on her due to wear and tear. The problems that upset me the most are the noisy chassis/undercarriage, and the keyless entry!! I have replaced the fob a couple times before realizing it was just the silicone button pads wearing out. Of course the DEALERSHIP just kept reprogramming the fobs and not pinpointing the real problem. (3$ item on eBay) I used to think the headlights were faulty but I was recently schooled on the fact that I wasn't completely tightening the plastic collar that holds the bulb itself and that's why so many of my headlights in past have gathered water inside. I love my grocery getter, but I must admit General Motors has a lot of brushing up to do in the ethics and integrity departments!

I have had the recall work done for the ignition that was required. However, in the past 3 months my car while at lower speeds dies - total loss of power without warning, I have loss of steering and cannot push down on the brake. Both instances put me in the path of serious injury - once while turning at an intersection and the other also at an intersection at a stop light proceeding down an icy hill - part way through the intersection I lost power could not steer or brake and inched over to a flatter spot. I have contacted Chevrolet Canada and was told that the recall is over and it's my problem as is any costs associated with it.

I am horrified that I put my life and perhaps the life of others in jeopardy. I question whether the parts that were installed for the recall were faulty or sub-standard, or even if the dealer had in fact replaced them or replaced them with non-approved recall part. I have an appt. with the local dealer here and will be requesting any parts they replace and would like to send them in for inspection. Is there anywhere that I can send the parts? Is this unrealistic? I feel that I may not be the only one experiencing this issue.

I bought a 2005 Chevy Cobalt in 2008. I still have it as my work car. I have had no major problems just keeping it lined up. So I got my wife a 2008 Chevy Cobalt and there was no major problems until now. The timing chain slipped and when it does that it breaks the Pistons and headers so you have to rebuild the whole top of the engine. Had it towed to the shop he says 1400 to fix it but she's also had electrical issues with the car and problems keeping it lined up. After reading these reviews I think the 2008 Chevy Cobalt is a piece of junk. Seems like they're getting cheaper and cheaper as they make these.

Check engine light came on about 116000 miles in on my 2008 Cobalt, checked code and it was accelerator position sensor. Bought entire accelerator pedal from local dealer as that is the only way to replace the sensor. Installed it, but same error code keeps my check engine light on. Bought the exact right part, and it has NOT fixed the problem!

I live in California, so I have to pass a smog check every other year, but the check engine light is an automatic fail regardless of how low your emissions are, so I am truly screwed. Worse than that is the o2 sensor monitors. I have changed out the o2 sensors with proper parts, but the monitors are still not communicating! I cannot make my car legal to drive because no matter how many freeway miles I put on this heap of junk the monitors still won't reset. I was told by my mechanic that 75 to 100 miles of freeway driving should do it... I did 200 miles that night and still nothing. Chevy now owes me big in my opinion. The car ran great until the stereo went out late last year, now I have screwed up sensors and monitors that will cost an arm, a leg, and my first born to repair. It feels like a scam to me. I have put almost 1000 miles on this car since the repairs and cannot get relief of the problems.

I bought my 2008 Cobalt used in 2011 with 47000 miles. I needed something with good gas mileage, cheap payments, and was able to get me from A to B. I was quite satisfied with the overall dependability and functionality of the vehicle for a good while, then in 2012 is when my power steering would randomly turn off. I didn't have the other issues other users were describing, with the warning lights flashing but I did have to turn the vehicle off then on for the power steering to work. Once that part was replaced, I have not had another problem with that issue. In late 2014, I started to have issues with the ignition switch. One morning it was so bad I couldn't start the car, but fiddled with it once I got home and it worked. It also took a very long time for the part to arrive at the dealership, but once it was installed I have had no further issues.

Overall, I am pleased with the longevity of the vehicle because for about 3 years, I could afford no maintenance and struggled hard just to afford oil changes once a year and not once has the vehicle given any indication of the strain that was put on it. Only last summer did my left wheel bearing start making noise. I am a little frustrated how much running the AC slows down the engine because here in Arizona it's 115 when I leave for work and you NEED that AC, yet have to turn it off every time you accelerate off a light for it to accelerate quick enough. The car's already slow as it is accelerating and it's frustrating for someone who learned to drive on a V8 Yukon and a 6L GTO, but other than that, it's been a very good to me. When I finish paying it off at the end of the summer, I plan to keep it until I can afford something more suited to my driving style.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

After driving this vehicle and putting up with the car for WAY too long, TONIGHT was almost the end. The vehicle will beep and T/C light comes on and my power steering light along with all of my gauges going out. Well tonight it added just shutting OFF!!! This vehicle has been taken in for EVERY recall each time it has had one!!! The VID # ** IF anyone wants to take this on please do. Tonight if work and money wasn't needed tomorrow the baseball bat would be taken out just and I would have just taken this car down to nothing because as a Cobalt owner, American car owner NO ONE should EVER have to feel like death could come at any time because of the vehicle failing while driving. I AM ANGRY as I should be and other owners that have had this issue should be here with me. Do not lie young kids/new drivers/owners with little money. NONE need to ever purchase a used vehicle and feel like I have felt tonight!!! Never EVER!!!

I bought a 2008 Cobalt LT in 2015. For the past 6 months I've had detrimental problems. It happens randomly but when it does, the car is undriveable. All of the gauges will go up and down super fast and my anti-theft light will come on. Power steering and low fuel messages will erratically display and power steering usually goes out completely. When shifting into drive the car lurches into it and I cannot shift into 2nd gear when driving. (Automatic transmission). I've taken it to my local chevy dealer and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I payed over 100$ so they could tell me they don't know what's wrong. I am so frustrated and lost as to what to do. Please help.

Ok. So Chevy Cobalt so called fixing recall issue on steering. Yet my 2008 cobalt has same steering issue. As a result. Every bump my tires jump to the right or left. And steering wheel remains straight. Resulting in no control of car. Replaced control arms. Brand new tires. And in snow. I'd rather drive a dog sled to work. This type of steering should have never been passed. I feel very unsafe in this can. Even if just in rain.

I bought a brand new 2008 Cobalt about 8 years ago. I have had many of the same problems others have had. Ignition key getting stuck, automatic shifter not wanting to move from park, etc. But the one that really has me frustrated is at 61000 I started getting a clunking noise from the front end. I took it to my local Chevy dealer and they said they had to replace the control arms to the tune of 900.00 including front end alignment. Now less than 2 years later and only 11000 miles I am getting the same clunking noise. I've have heard the control arm bushings can go out on these often. I will be very mad if they try and sell me new control arms again after 11000 miles. I told them I have driven GM cars since 1970 and never had to do front end work like this at 61K. I may be buying a Nissan next time.

My car is a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. Wiring harness recall fixed, power steering recall fixed... Ignition recall fixed. All of these recall issues threatened my life and I had needed all these repairs that scared the life out of me. I have extreme panic disorder. The extreme emotions has triggered other disability issues and literally I've been trying to trust my car again but these 2 new problems have me more afraid for my life.

GM has another cover up and now they just need to go to jail!! My car is leaking gasoline at the gas tank and I don't know how long it's been leaking. Just found it yesterday. Reading about the stories online on the fuel system recall and it only covers the 2006 Cobalts in the southern states. This has me furious!! This recall came out in 2009 and it was a very hot summer in Portland, OR that year and a blistering hot summer last year.

Here's the problem... GM knows my 2005 Cobalt has the exact same fuel delivery system and parts but deliberately excluded my car out of the recall knowing since 2009 that it is a life threatening situation... Another 7 years driving a potential car bomb!! The last issue in my car that I can't find a recall for is my locks. I panic at stoplights wondering if a bum will jump in my passenger door since the locks are loudly unlocking and locking constantly!! I'm afraid of this car and I want my money back with pain and suffering!! Waiting to see what the dealer says on my gas leak today :(. I will never buy a GM car again!!

I purchased my 2008 Cobalt in May of 2008. Last week I was driving my car and without warning my car shut down. I made sure my maintenance was kept up. My oil changes were done and I used high mileage oil as I realize the car was approaching 150,000. I called for a tow truck and the car was taken to the shop. The mechanic told me he had bad news, my engine was locked. I recently had my oil changed and had just had the car check prior to this. I was told there were no problems with the car at all.

There was never an indication of any kind that the oil was low, oil leaks or anything. I can't complain too much because my car always started for me. That morning when I checked my car everything was fine. Could it just have been time for the engine to die. This is weird and I don't understand. I did start to notice a slight stall in the car when I hit the gas and when I shift the gears it was like they were sticking a little. So curious as to why this happened!

I have had electrical problems with this car ever I bought it in 2010. The door locks will randomly start locking and unlocking while driving down the highway or sitting in my garage. The issue is worse when the weather is humid or rainy. The door locks will not work at all when I want to lock my car. If I go into a store and lock the doors by hand, I will find them unlocked when I return. If I leave them unlocked, when I return they will be locked. When I open the trunk of the car with my key will also cause this to happen.

The electrical passenger windows will roll down and sometimes not roll back up. I've gone for days with the windows open in the car. Think my insurance will cover that if it is stolen from a parking lot because the windows were down or the door unlocked? I doubt it. The electric mirror control does not work at all and never has. I have to adjust the side mirrors by hand. I've had the wiring checked - no problem, they say. I've had all the fuses changed, that will fix it, they say. I bought this car used and it had less than 25K miles on it. I've had to deal with 10 different recalls on this car - that goes beyond the ordinary and Chevrolet should replace these cars.

My son purchased a 2010 Cobalt and has issues every since. He will be driving and all of a sudden his power will decrease. He has been in almost 8 accidents 1 with a Semi. After reading all these reviews it seems this is a common problem but yet Chevy will not do anything about it! He had an issue with his check engine light and had to fix it to get his tags. The mechanic found a wire wrapped around the transmission so he fixed that and we also had to replace the computer. It was ok for about a month and now he is back to the same thing. I do not understand how they are getting away with this and I believe they need to pay the consumer enough money to fix the problem or put them in a safe car! We need to call and call and don't let up on corporate use the media as well!

Our Cobalt has been in the family for almost 10 years and we are reaching 150,000 miles. We've had no major issues with the car. We've gotten the recalls fixed, replaced the belts, the clutch, the shocks, and other things that would be replaced in any other vehicle of this age. I'm starting to have issues with the syncros in the transmission, and I might have an exhaust leak, but the problems come and go and don't bother me much. All in all, I've had a good experience and wouldn't hesitate purchasing another.

My low oil light on my car was not working. It was on when I turn the car on but does not warn you if it is low. My car warranty expired Around 3 months when this happened and I need a new engine. Of course I called and they told me my warranty expired. So I had someone else put in the newer engine with a lot less miles. Then I get a recall on the ignition switch. I call and they get it right in. I find it odd that now my turn signals do not shut off. I feel it is because they replaced the ignition switch.

Since I bought this car I've had nothing but problems. Got the ignition recall done, didn't help the car. Doesn't run correctly, won't start, leaves me embarrassed and stranded at work. Call corporate with no help. I've bought Chevy's my entire life without a problem until now. I have 4 children and feel like every time I put them in my vehicle is a risk. This is absolutely inexcusable. No one should ever have to feel this way. We all need to get together and contact our local news until the situation is truly fixed. We should not have to suffer for a flawed make. Chevy should reimburse us for their mistake. Anyone else feel the same way my email is **. Let's stand together and be heard.

When turning blinkers left will not stay on or turn off when turning right. Had to have the engine lifters replaced twice, and the head light fogged up for no reason. I will never buy another GM made produced.

I brought my 2010 Cobalt to dealer in May because once again the key would get stuck in ignition in the accessory position and the check engine light would not go off. Mind you I was under my 5 year warranty and approximately 3 thousand miles UNDER the 100,000 mile warranty. I was told again that there was a recall on another part for the ignition because keys were falling out of ignition. Tried to tell service department that was NOT my problem. They insisted on replacing the part, and was told the check engine light wasn't on when they looked at it. No sooner drove the car about 30 miles and the check engine light back on. Brought car back on a Saturday with an appointment and was told they couldn't do anything about the check engine light on a Saturday that I would have to come back during the week AND was told I really didn't want them to check it out because it would be expensive. How could it be expensive when still under warranty.

Brought car to regular mechanic who said that one of the cylinders were bad. Brought car back to Chevy and expected them to fix it since now it didn't seem right that I should absorb all the cost with warranty. Long and short of it - they kept the car for a week before even diagnosing problem and was told it would cost me a minimum of $1600 to fix. Brought car to a mechanic who worked for GM and it is an electrical problem. It is in the wiring system which is giving wrong code to brains of computer causing the fuel to run too lean and then causing cylinder to burn out.

I've had nothing but problem after problem with this car I purchased my car from CarMax Roseville and for a minute I thought CarMax was Salinger bad cars but after reading these reviews my car has all the same issues as everyone else's. It's stopped twice on me on freeway road in the middle of tragic with my 3 year old son and mom in the car and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. I have a warranty and I have gotten so many repairs done on it and still can not determine why the car is cutting off randomly. I owe 11,299$ on this car and haven't even had it for a year yet...

I have taken it to two Chevy dealerships and they could not determine what the problem is with car. I'm considering going to small claims court to sue for my downplay mentioned and stress because it's unfair how these cars are we consumers go in thinking they're a reptile name and company reliable car but all in all we get junk out of our money and for some credit that's why so many people end up in debit because of outstanding car loans. Smh. We need to all come together and get CHEVY they owe us all if you ask me.

I also have the power steering light problem. Losing power, can't steer, trans chugs, ended up in someone's front yard. Replaced power steering motor and module and same thing happened 5 minutes later. Car just sits in garage now. I reported it to NHTSA. That's what we all need to do and it may get taken care of. THE # IS 8883274236.

I came on here to read about complaints about Chevy Cobalts to see if any matched what has been going on with my car and sure enough I have read several complaints that relate. I have a 2010 Cobalt that I bought brand new. The minute I drove off with it I realized it was cheaply made. I did have problems with the ignition before the recall where I went somewhere and I could not shut the car off or get the key out of the ignition, I had to leave the car running while I went into my doctors appt. I brought it to the dealer and they supposedly fixed it and I didn't really have any other issues with it but a year later the recall came out and the had me go back in to change it out, this happened just a few months ago.

I then began to have a problem with the car. My speedometer started jumping back and forth while I was driving and then stalling when I stopped at a light and when I am on the highway the speedometer goes from 70 down to 30 and back up, the engine makes a grinding noise and it keeps jerking. I brought it into the dealer and they said it was a modular panel and replaced it and said it was under warranty. I acted better for about 3 weeks until I went on vacation to Massachusetts and on the way home the car started acting up again. I brought it back to the dealer but they said that they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They couldn't duplicate what I said it was doing and insinuated that maybe I hadn't been taking care of it and giving it proper maintenance, but I had just had the oil changed and the fuel filter changed and I change the oil every 3000 miles.

The technician suggested we go for a ride and while on the ride the car acted up and he was able to see what I was talking about. When we got back to the service dept he told the service manager that he thought it was the cluster panel but the tech said he would have to look at some technical manuals and give a call to GMAC, and they would call me. I waited a day then I called them. They said that because I told them I started having problems with it after they changed the ignition they would replace the ignition again as a recall. I brought it in today. The car seemed fine but when I jumped on the highway just 1 hour after getting it fixed it was doing the same exact thing. I just paid my last payment today, after having paid on it for 5 years. I had planned on having no payments for a couple of years because I have a student loan and mortgage and I felt like at last maybe I could have a little breathing room financially with no car payment.

My car only has 59,800 miles on it and I don't know what is going to happen. The tech said he would call GMAC on Monday. Today is Friday, so I am stranded because after reading all these complaints and because of my own instincts in feeling that my car is not safe to drive, I don't dare go anywhere and even if I try and get rid of this car or trade it in they are going to see it has problems and so I won't get anything for it. So I have paid on a car for 5 years and it is worth nothing. I am so upset right now and that is a mild description on what I am really feeling right now. I am single and work two jobs to make ends meet, I have a student loan to pay and I'm thinking now that I am going to have to have another car payment.

I purchased a 2005 Chevy Cobalt in 2009 and I have had problem after problem. The check engine light came on. I went and got a diagnostic from AAMCO and it read a transmission code and it was told to me the tranny was slipping so I spent $2800 on a rebuilt tranny. A couple months passed and the check engine, traction control and power steering warnings came on and locked up. Took it to the dealer to do a diagnostic and they found nothing wrong but just a clicking sound from the transmission and to take it back to AAMCO. I did just that and AAMCO said that I had other complications. I've got everything done and it's STILL cutting off and locking up on me OMG! How do you fix a problem that looks like it can't be fixed?? I'm tired of getting the run around, wasting gas, and the issue is not being fixed! All of the recalls have been repaired and the issue is still not resolved.

Ok I bought my 2005 chevy cobalt ls coupe about 5 months ago from a dealer. Since then my front end has been making a knocking sound every time I hit a bump. I took the car to the garage 5 times and they keep telling me nothing is wrong. I've had my power steering light come on multiple times and it feels like my steering wheel locks up sometimes but again the gm garage told me there's nothing wrong. My driver's door has issues latching. Then on top of it all now my motor is making a clicking sound when the rpms goes up past 2. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? I've only had the car for 5 months and it only has 89k miles.

I have an 07" Cobalt, and every time I drive in the Rain, or through Puddles, it starts Running extremely bad, and Shakes. It also has Gas Spewing from the Tailpipe when this Occurs. I've taken it to the Dealership, and other Shops, and they have no clue how water is Entering the Fuel line.

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. There were multiple recall notices that I received last year (2014) that I had taken care of during the inspection. One, in particular, was regarding the ignition. GM claimed that it was caused by "heavy" keychains. I do not have any keys or decorations attached to my car key and never have. I assumed this was corrected by the recall notice.

However, very recently on two separate occasions my car has shut off twice unexpectedly while driving. Both times luckily I was going slow and there was no immediate traffic by me. The second time, I had to use my emergency break. Otherwise, I would have hit a retaining wall and quite possibly could have died today. I have called the dealership to take a look at it. The reason why I am sharing this is that I fear for my safety. I have read others' comments about similar situations with 2006 Chevy Cobalts. And it is really concerning. If this happens on a busy road with traffic someone could lose their life. The car literally loses all of its electric power while on. This is unacceptable.

My keys get stuck in the ignition switch and I have to wait 45 minutes to get the keys out and start my car.

I am very upset with GM. Our car still even though they fixed the ignition key and they told me they had replaced the power steering motor in 2011 still having that problem with the steering wheel and the battery dying on us. We just bought the battery this month and it died the first night we put it. We bought another power steering motor and still it is doing the same thing. Not able to drive it because of the steering wheel getting real hard and we cannot turn it at all.

I would like to know if Gm owes us back money for all the lies and trying to save money. My daughter has a 2013 equinox and it already has a recall but still haven't gotten a letter. We have a Chevy Malibu and it has a recall on it. I now know that I will never buy a GM chevy car never again. My daughter who was pregnant at the time almost got hit, maybe killed but she got to turn the car again and just parked in the side of the road until her daddy came to help her. We don't need to go through all of these stress. She was always scared to drive to work but that was the only car she had at the time. She got herself a chevy Cruze. Now she regrets it.

I bought my Chevy Cobalt 2005 in 2013 and during the summer I had my first lost of power steering in a parking lot. The steering wheel stiffen up and I couldn't move it, the light on the dashboard came up with a clunking noise. Rattling was coming from my gear maneuver and it was hard to have control over my car. I took it to my (non GM) dealership he couldn't find the problem because the power steering wheel wasn't acting up when I took it to him. So next time it happen I took a video of it to show my mechanic what it does when it happens. It only occurs during the Summer when it's hot. Once I did research I found out it was the Electric Power Steering recall. So I took it to a Chevrolet dealership, he said he could not find the problem and said it was due to my cigar lighter fuse. I found that unbelievable and that was NOT the problem.

Now it's summer again and it's still acting up, this time it was more survive and it happened on the Highway and also more issues were appearing now. My mileage shot up to 60 miles then dropped back down to 20 mph, then random shoots of energy of the gas pedal. I had no control of my car while my car was changing its own speed. My neck is in pain due to my car acting up in burst of mileages. I had to pull over and get my car tolled to Outten Chevrolet dealership.

I told them of my recall problems and what it is leading to. They said I would have to pay $100 first to have someone look at it and I would have to pay for the problem out of pocket. That the recall was a "done deal" and I have to pay to have the items replace. My problem is the recall was done back in 2010. However, the recall is STILL active. Whoever is still having The Electric Power Steering Wheel problem please leave a comment about it and, let GM and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration know so we can open up this recall again and have it diagnosed.

I purchased this 2006 Chevy Cobalt in July of 2014. In December of 2014, I noticed the smell of gasoline emitting from my car. Over the course of a couple of weeks the smell progressively got worse & worse. I did research on what was happening to see what the issue may be & I found that others were having the same issue & it was the fuel pump modulator. It was a part that was recalled in 15 states (Massachusetts not being one of them). I brought the car to my mechanic on 12/30/2014 & made him aware of my research and what I had discovered. A few hours later, he called and confirmed that it was indeed the above mentioned part and that it would be close to $500.00 to fix.

I immediately called GM on 12/30/14 and expressed my concerns, in that if a part is defective in Texas it's also defective in Massachusetts. The woman I spoke to agreed & told me what I needed to do was call my local dealership (Colonial South Chevrolet in Dartmouth, Massachusetts). When I called Colonial South on 12/30/14 (believe I spoke with ** in service), they looked up my VIN and informed me that the part was covered under a special warranty & to bring my car to them. I informed them that my car was already at my mechanic, the part was ordered & the car would be ready the next day. He then stated "Well bring in the paperwork from the repair, and we will reimburse you within 60 days".

The next week, I brought in all the paperwork from my repair & I was told that they made a mistake & because my car was a salvage title they would not reimburse the cost because in the eyes of GM, my car was totaled & inoperable. (Mind you they repaired my steering column 3 months prior at GM's cost.) I reached out to GM again and explained what I had been told by the dealership & she told me to send in my paperwork directly & I would be reimbursed. All I had to do was go to the dealership & get the reimbursement form. I was called a couple of days later by GM and told again that their rep made a mistake & I would not be reimbursed the cost to fix my car.

Till this day I am still fighting with GM about this issue. GM does not stand by their product or their word. I was told on 2 separate occasions that I would be reimbursed to later have them renege & say they wouldn't because they made a mistake. And also if they know anyone with a Cobalt that has had that same issue, that they need to fight & hold GM accountable for their poorly made parts. If a part is defective, it is defective & they should take responsibility for it, whether the car is a salvaged title or not. I also reported this issue to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I was told by the representative I spoke to that if anyone else had or is having this issue, they need to report it to them so that maybe GM can be held accountable before someone gets seriously hurt. Their number is 1-888-327-4236.

2006 chevy cobalt - Last year they sent me a recall on the ignition switch. The car locked up 4 times. The last one I hit a tree. Me and my daughter got injured. They said "bring it in." They gave me a loaner and I had a lawyer picked it up. It kepted locking up and stalling out. Took it back 12 time. It's still worse. There's been a lot of deaths and injuries. Can you please help?

Chevy Cobalt Company Profile