3.47/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevy Cobalt

The Chevy Cobalt is a compact car that was introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevy Cobalt Reviews

Original review: July 14, 2019

Mother wanted me and family to have a safe car to drive in. We bought 2007 Cobalt. Serious problem. Has at least 7 recalls. Waited 1 year for a 57 cent part. Had front end pulled off at my request. Car has 74.000 original miles. A/C Heater Defrost do not work. 1st time ever had a brand new car. It's awful. I am disabled on SSI. Now have no car. Learned a lesson. 1st never buy a new Chevy. I will never buy a Chevy again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My experience is exactly like Bambi’s from PA. The check engine light comes on then the service traction light comes on. If I shut the car off, light goes off. It’s comes on usually when I’m sitting with car running, in/out of gear and foot of the brake. Very scary. If Service traction wasn’t enough, the check engine light goes on & I have had multiple trips to mechanic to “fix” issues. I have spent a considerable amount of $$ for repairs, pulled out from having it serviced & a few miles down the road check engine light comes back on. Take it back, they say it’s a different problem. More $$.

Finally had a reputable mechanic do a thorough check on it & found the #3 cylinder is misfiring and needs a valve job! $1650! I also noticed a slipping when I change gears (automatic) with a jolt upon engagement. Is that another problem? Called Chevy to lodge complaint: no recalls for my vin # so no recourse. This reminds me of 1973 & the problem with Chevy Vega aluminum heads! Nightmare! Went to Toyota but wanted to buy American in 2008. Big mistake. I only have 57,000 miles on the car. I take excellent care of my cars. This is just unacceptable. Thought I had done my homework & made a good purchase. I can see now, in the long run it was quite costly. Should have stayed with a Toyota!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Able to escape danger quickly! Hi, I am Hover Lioness. I was able to quickly escape the vicious lion Quickmane, My Cubs were screaming and said, "Slow down mommy!" This saved the life of me and my Cubs. Thank you Chevrolet Cobalt!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I bought my 2006 Cobalt new because it was cheap. It is now December 2018. It now has 202K miles on it. The car pulls to the right when you take hands off the wheel, it always has and probably always will. The struts wore out in 20K miles, so did the tires. Cheap Cheap Cheap. Alignment after alignment after alignment couldn't solve the "pulling to the right" problem. Chevy told me they couldn't and wouldn't fix it. The tires wear normally now after the "creative" (cover up the problem) factory alignment was fixed.

There were two recalls on the machine (my wife calls it Trixie), neither of which made it run better or worse. The first 25K miles were stressful trying to get warranty service out of Chevy. After the first alignment problems with the car I have had NO NO NO other problems with it. It has been a stellar performer. I like the ride after replacing the struts and tires. The mileage has been as high as 38 (rare) and as low as 28 (bike rack and high wind). 90% of the miles on it are on a nice smooth highway with a daily commute of 75 miles/day, elevation change of 2200 feet. I plan on getting 250K miles before buying another car. At 202,000 miles it is starting to burn oil. I have to put a quart of oil in at 2000 miles and it is down another quart at the 4000 mile mark when I change the oil (50% on the counter).

Next summer I will have to change the water pump, which by the way is the dumbest, stupidest, idiotic-est, criminal-est, way of designing a water pump. One side of the pump is in the oil galley so if the water seal leaks, it leaks water into the oil pan. Guarantee of a blown engine when the water pump fails. Very Very VERY stupid. If you are getting brown oil, this is probably why. The engine doesn't rattle or knock and the transmission is still tight. A reminder that I drive the car on the highway about 90% on the time so wear is minimal.

The car has never quit or left me stranded. 3 windshields, two sets of rotors (they make two sizes, large for the turbo model and small for the LS) which are cheap and come with brake pads and easy to change. The water pump is not easy to change, it is rather involved. Would I buy another? I am an electronics technician so electrical problems are just a challenge. Yes I would buy another one unless I retire first.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Purchased a 2009 Chevy Cobalt with 14,000 original miles. Good car until the lines to the fuel pump dry rotted this past August. Car only had 37,647 miles on it and the lines dry rotted? My mechanic said I could get reimbursed for the $486.00 it cost us to repair it. Took it to the dealer. Dealer gave us paperwork to fill out and send in, said we would get reimbursed. Submitted all paperwork and spoke to customer service in August, was told we would be reimbursed. Never heard back, so today I call customer service and was told that I would NOT be reimbursed. Really??? I am beyond upset but what am I to do?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Cobalt?

Original review: June 16, 2018

I chose Chevy Cobalt because it is sporty looking and the dealership was having a special on it. I like this model because it has a cd player, am-fm radio, and excellent speakers. It has plenty of trunk space and bucket seats. This car has been a great value to me. It is thirteen years old and I have not had any problems with it. I have put two sets of tires on it and replaced the battery once. I really like my car. But sometimes I wish I had leather seats instead of cloth because I have a dog that likes to ride and her hair is always on the seat.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Chevy Cobalt was a very good choice for me and my small family. It was in my price range. It gets great gas mileage and they had the white color I wanted in stock (white). It was used but had low mileage. I also love that it had tinted windows and black interior. Other features I loved were satellite radio option and OnStar. It's a cozy and compact fit. Very reliable and dependable. It’s also very pleasing to the eye. Great car, love it. But I don't like that if the battery dies, the keys can get locked in the ignition which is bad because the battery is in the trunk which won't open unless you have the key. The pop the trunk button don't function when the car is dead and it took a while to figure out the Manual key release process.

Original review: June 17, 2018

So far, I have been having good luck with this 2007 model year Chevrolet Cobalt. It is easy for me to drive. It does not have a high entrance and fits in my garage well. I got over the need for a 6 cylinder car and am perfectly happy with this 4 cylinder vehicle. It has every bit as much acceleration as my previous Buick. But this car is pretty spartan; wish it had a back seat that could be lowered. Also, it has a seal leak in the brake system; it is too difficult to go in and fix it, so I have to add DOT 3 brake fluid every couple of months. My mechanic has been a bit frustrated trying to fix something wrong with the emissions control system; the dashboard light keeps coming on. Had a problem with the front end, but other than that it's been good.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I love my Chevy Cobalt. It is a good and nice little car. It was definitely well worth the purchase. I got way more for my money than I would have expected with it. I did not need nor want a big car. So its simplicity was what drew me to it. Plus it was not very expensive. It also has good mileage (30mpg on highway) a definite benefit. But there were quite a few recalls on the car. After I had one of them repaired my key would get locked in the ignition and I had to press the release button to get it out which was kind of inconvenient. I was able to do self-repairs on it quite simply for the most part. In the end it is falling apart, but still hanging in there well enough to still get me where I need to go every day.

Original review: June 13, 2018

It is great, it runs well and it has a lot of space. It has a spacious trunk too, and is just the right size. It is four doors and has cup holders and is automatic. It is easy on gas as well. Also I like the color red and it is red. But I would make it a little cheaper. Maybe a little bit bigger would be nice and a little more leg room would be great too. All in all it is a great running car and fits my family's needs perfectly. We love it.

Chevy Cobalt Company Information