2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

3.9/5 (329 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Chevy Cobalt

The Chevy Cobalt is a compact car that was introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Chevy Cobalt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Cobalt?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Cobalt?

Original review: June 15, 2018

Chevy Cobalt was a very good choice for me and my small family. It was in my price range. It gets great gas mileage and they had the white color I wanted in stock (white). It was used but had low mileage. I also love that it had tinted windows and black interior. Other features I loved were satellite radio option and OnStar. It's a cozy and compact fit. Very reliable and dependable. It’s also very pleasing to the eye. Great car, love it. But I don't like that if the battery dies, the keys can get locked in the ignition which is bad because the battery is in the trunk which won't open unless you have the key. The pop the trunk button don't function when the car is dead and it took a while to figure out the Manual key release process.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It was a nice looking car and we kind of needed a second car right away when we bought it. It drove fine and we didn't see any fluid leaked or anything seriously wrong with it. We had looked at a few cars and really we just decided on the one that looked the best and ran the smoothest without knocks, or pings and was in the price range we had decided on. I like that it is small and is easy on gas. It has a spacious trunk area which fits with my lifestyle.

We bought it used in 2017 (it's a 2007) and we have had one problem after another. I know used means some problems but, wiring, lights, AC, heater fan, etc. I do not like having the battery in the trunk. Very inconvenient. There are several fuse boxes, so you have to hunt for fuses. There are also only 2 doors, we thought that really wasn't an issue when we bought it but turns out it is. And crank windows!! It was winter and very cold when we bought this car so we didn't pay attention to the fact it did not have electric windows. I wish we would have kept looking.

Original review: June 13, 2018

It is great, it runs well and it has a lot of space. It has a spacious trunk too, and is just the right size. It is four doors and has cup holders and is automatic. It is easy on gas as well. Also I like the color red and it is red. But I would make it a little cheaper. Maybe a little bit bigger would be nice and a little more leg room would be great too. All in all it is a great running car and fits my family's needs perfectly. We love it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I love my Chevy Cobalt. It is a good and nice little car. It was definitely well worth the purchase. I got way more for my money than I would have expected with it. I did not need nor want a big car. So its simplicity was what drew me to it. Plus it was not very expensive. It also has good mileage (30mpg on highway) a definite benefit. But there were quite a few recalls on the car. After I had one of them repaired my key would get locked in the ignition and I had to press the release button to get it out which was kind of inconvenient. I was able to do self-repairs on it quite simply for the most part. In the end it is falling apart, but still hanging in there well enough to still get me where I need to go every day.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I was very happy owner of Chevrolet Cobalt 2008 LS since two days ago when I was in major car accident. Van hit me at my driver side with 50 miles per hour and I wanna say that all the airbags of that car open and I am really glad that I am all safe after this kind of accident. Car was perfect unfortunately I didn’t have chance to drive it a lot!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I owned this car since 2014 and it has never fail me. However when it comes to the electric parts it really sucks. First my power locks would lock and unlock all the time by themselves. So I took that fuse out. Then the anti-theft thing would come on randomly and since I don't have the remote to deactivate it I would have to use the key to shut it off. Such is embarrassing when you are in public or outside church. Power steering comes on sometimes but I just turn it off and back on and it fix it. I lost power one time but after I turn it off for a couple minutes it was fine. I haven't had that problem for a year. What can I say? Man this car is great but when it comes to the electric part that's just something else. Just remember whenever lights and whatever message comes on the dash just turn it off and most of the time they go away.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

After the ignition switch recall was repair. We, my daughter and myself we're in a very bad accident. My airbag didn't deploy, leaving me with a head contusion and chest contusion. I shattered the driver's side windshield. Due to the severity of the accident my car was totaled out by my insurance company. I emailed GM own dummy crash test with the same make as mine only 2 door 2005 Chevy Cobalt. I was told that the vehicle used in the dummy testing wasn't mine. I don't have proof that after the ignition switch was repaired then my airbag didn't deploy to protect me as did the dummy in there dummy crash test. I will not stop. They are wrong. Even a dummy could see the airbag was faulty after the ignition switch was repaired. And repaired at a GM dealer. Weber Chevrolet. And your website won't allow me to upload photos.

Original review: May 16, 2017

My boyfriend bought his 2008 Chevy Cobalt nearly new in 08. I have to say this is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I would really love to give the Cobalt 5 stars but of course no matter how much I love the car, 5 stars would be unrealistic. So giving the rating not only as an owner, but also as a mechanic, I can say that the Cobalt is a pretty mechanically sound vehicle. Electronically is where the Cobalt suffers. We have had all of the recalls fixed and the vehicle now has 164,000 miles on it and this vehicle has never left us stranded. It runs great and I can always count on it starting for me everyday. It has the wiring issues that the Cobalts are known for with the radio and speakers cutting in and out. This is because the door panel wasn't sealed well and moisture gets in there and creates a short, preventing the front speakers and internal chimes from working. It does in fact have a pretty noisy undercarriage and also ticking lifters as well.

Some of the complaints I have read are actually normal things that go bad on all vehicles, not just specific to the Cobalt, which I think unfairly hurts the overall rating of the Cobalt. I keep the oil changed every 3,000 miles using a good quality full synthetic oil, and done transmission and fuel filter services, tune ups and all other maintenance all at the factory recommended intervals and we have never had an issue whatsoever with this vehicle. The only repairs I have made on this vehicle are all normal wear and tear things that need done on every vehicle. If you can deal with the small things like the noisy suspension and lifters, and are able to keep it properly maintained, then I recommend the Cobalt for anyone.

Original review: April 15, 2017

I came on here to read about complaints about the Chevy Cobalt and see if any matched what has been going on with my car. As expected, I read several complaints that related to mine. I purchase a 2010 Cobalt for my daughter. She did have problems with the ignition before the recall. I had to pay to tow the vehicle only to find out that there was an ignition problem. I didn't get a reimbursement for the tow.

Shortly she began experiencing wiring problem with the car. The brake (stop) light goes on while she is driving and goes off when she stops. While on vacation, I took it to Pep Boys on Vine St, Kissimmee, Florida. They ordered the parts. After waiting most of the day, I was told that they could not calibrate the vehicle. I was told to go to Starling Chevrolet, Orlando, Florida to have the calibration done. Less than six months later the same problem showed up. My daughter, who goes to college in Florida, took the vehicle to Chevrolet dealer in Orlando. They refuse to correct the problem claiming that it must go back to Starling Chevrolet.

I brought it back to the dealer. It was calibrated and still acting up again. The dealer couldn't figure out what's wrong. A search on Edmund.com shows that the problem exists with the 2008 which were recalled. I called Chevrolet Company (866-790-5600) and spoke with Justin who claimed he did see any recalls and will look into the matter. Just like I told him, it appears that Chevrolet is waiting for something devastating to happen to my daughter or someone before they fix the issue.

The technician suggested we go for a ride and while on the ride the car acted up and he was able to see what I was talking about. When we got back to the service dept he told the service manager that he thought it was the cluster panel but the tech said he would have to look at some technical manuals and give a call to GMAC, and they would call me. I waited a day then I called them. They said that because I told them I started having problems with it after they changed the ignition they would replace the ignition again as a recall. I brought it in today. The car seemed fine but when I jumped on the highway just 1 hour after getting it fixed it was doing the same exact thing. I just paid my last payment today, after having paid on it for 5 years. I had planned on having no payments for a couple of years because I have a student loan and mortgage and I felt like at last maybe I could have a little breathing room financially with no car payment.

My car only has 59,800 miles on it and I don't know what is going to happen. The tech said he would call GMAC on Monday. Today is Friday, so I am stranded because after reading all these complaints and because of my own instincts in feeling that my car is not safe to drive, I don't dare go anywhere and even if I try and get rid of this car or trade it in they are going to see it has problems and so I won't get anything for it. So I have paid on a car for 5 years and it is worth nothing. I am so upset right now and that is a mild description on what I am really feeling right now. I am single and work two jobs to make ends meet, I have a student loan to pay and I'm thinking now that I am going to have to have another car payment.

Original review: April 11, 2017

COBALT SAFETY ISSUES. I've had the vehicle 2 days this month. Problem started last year just vaguely then went away so I paid no attention to it. These last few months oh my god!! All my dashboard lights come on from anti theft lock, service traction (tc), low fuel (when there is fuel in there), brake fluid, power steering, check engine, gauges start flopping back and forth. Car kicks when changing into next gear, shifts very hard from park to drive, power steering loss. Just the other day getting off freeway I was so terrified because I lost power steering control.

I've contacted my local Chevy dealer and GM corporate. Both basically told me there is nothing they can do because recall issues have been replaced already. I asked, "If recall issues have been replaced then why are numerous people still having the same issue." Their response was, "I'm sorry. There's nothing more I can advise you to do other than take it to your local dealership and have repairs made." I don't want to have to pay for things that are clearly not fixable!! Please help me.

Chevy Cobalt Company Information