Chevy Cruze
1.41/5
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Chevy Cruze

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

232 Chevy Cruze Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I absolutely hate my car and it’s only 4 years old. I own a 2014 Chevy Cruze and it’s always broken. In four years I’ve had to change the valve cover gasket four times for leakage. Yes, once each year. It lacks power and is cheaply made. I would prefer Chevrolet to buy it back because I’m done paying for this piece of crap.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I couldn't afford a new car until I was 50. I was so excited. I purchased a 2012 Chevy Cruze LT, beautiful car... worst car ever!!! Heater problems, PCV problems, slipping transmission. My family worked for Chevy builders my whole life, I wanted to be loyal... no more, I hate this car but I'm stuck, I still owe for this piece of junk! Foreign car for me next time... Chevy, I'm disappointed and embarrassed for you. SAD.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I bought a 2015 Cruze LTZ in November of 15. It's been a nightmare and I will never buy another one. It has been in shop over 40 times over the last 2+ years and over 80 mechanical issues. It has been the worst car experience ever and GM don't want to do anything. It has never run right and just one thing after another. Chevy has the worst service department ever. It's been in shop every month, sometimes multiple times for the last 2+ years. I hope eventually something is done from GM and dealership. I will never buy one again and do not recommend the Cruze.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

2012 Chevy Cruze - Worst car ever! If this car was for free and I could go back I would never have taken it. Only had it for two years now maybe pushing 3. First I needed a new head gasket (not sure if that's how you spell it). Couple months later I had a leak with the coolant and fixed that. A couple weeks later my radiator had to be replaced so I did that. Check engine light on and it's only about a month done. New radiator was put in. Check engine light is on. Car acting like it wants to shut off and jerking. I only drive the most 10 miles a day to work and dropping/picking up my kids from their bus stop. I should NOT be having problems like this but I do.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I leased a 2017 Chevy Cruze from State auto last Nov. I have complained to the dealer numerous times about interior heating problems, cold feet. They said that is the way these new cars are made. Told them about the very loud road noise. They said must be the road I drive one. Replaced the wipers at 3,000 miles. Not under warranty. Cost me 50 bucks. On star sucks. Oh they get me almost to the right place. A cheap GPS is way better. I still have 2 years 2 months for this car that I am deeply sorry for getting talked into. I will never buy or lease an American car again. I am 71 years old. I have fixed up and bought 100 dollar cars and 300 dollar trucks for 30 years and every single car or truck that I bought is better and more reliable than this new 2017 Chevy... This is great disappointment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Leased a Chevy Cruze and a Chevy Equinox... Worse decision we ever made. Since Week One: The Cruze has no power, hesitated when moving forward. Now it won't start when cold. Equinox: No power when moving forward... Piece of junk! Before this, we had reliable Toyotas and Hondas. Thought we'd give Chevy a try: Big mistake! And, we still have a year of payments to go!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I purchased a brand new 2017 Chevy Cruze the end of April and started hearing a clunking noise in the rear in October. I figured something had loosened up due to the Michigan roads and avoided getting it looked at until I was driving one day and my car started acting up real bad. So I took it to dealership (17,000 miles on vehicle) and told them at the time about the clunking noise and the car's service StabiliTrak system and the car jerking really bad and didn't want to even accelerate. I found out the a piston cracked.

The dealership replaced all 4 pistons and then told me that the clunking I was hearing is my rear axle. They lubed it and told me if I still hear it in 30 days to bring back and they will put a new rear axle in. WHY am I having any issues with this vehicle with only this many miles on it. As for me I am not happy spending this kind of money on something that I am always going to be worrying about if I will make it to my destinations. I will never own another one of these or GM product for the matter as everyone I have ever owned have been junk.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I now have 309000 km on my car and it still runs great. It has had issues but never left me stranded. The brake discs warped and I replaced them with a set from eBay for $200 including pads and shipping. I had an oil leak which turned out to be the turbo oil line o ring replaced at the dealership. The water pump leaked during the warranty period and was fixed at the dealership. The PCV valve went around 290000 km which meant a new valve cover $90cad and I fitted it. If you maintain this car and change the oil it's a good car. 2011 Cruze Eco 6 speed.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I purchased a 2017 Chevy Cruze brand new! I had this car for 4 months and it started acting up so I took it into Clay Cooley (where I purchased). They determined after 7 days that it was a cracked piston (no fault of ours), they asked to see all of our service receipt which we were glad to hand over. 5 weeks later we got our car back. Now today as I sit at the Service Center AGAIN, I'm so angry with this purchase. I have had issue after issue with this and these people at this Service Center. Driving down the street and my whole Stereo/backup Camera and Bluetooth screen goes black. Yes I did the checks and balance and the fuses where fine no burnt ones. Now they are telling me that they might have to put a new system in. WTH is going on with this lemon. I have owned 3 Chevy Trucks, Corvette, Cadillac, my family has always been a Chevy owner. But I think this is the last straw for us. :(

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have had nothing but problems with this 2015 Chevy Cruze LT 1.4L. Worst purchase I’ve ever made. First took car in for axel bearing noise, dealer said axels all checked out fine. Noise Still there at that point. Then, one day driving from one inspection to the next, my car overheats and coolant was just gone. Had it towed to the dealer, Coolant leak above engine block (Apparently a common issue). They fix the issue. Great, maybe just bad luck. 2nd time, I'm driving and check engine light comes on, along with the service StabiliTrak indicator. At this point the car started running horribly and making a bad bad whistle noise. Took it in to dealer, this time the intake manifold was gone (Another common issue apparently) You’d think they'd check the common known issues but apparently not. Got car back cool.

Third incident, driving on freeway and car starts shaking like crazy, then boom chat chat chat, axel blew out (Remember I was told axels were fine). Took car in and they replaced axel, and bearings. Now latest problem. The car check engine light starts flashing, tensioner sounds bad when climbing hills. Took car in and sure enough another coolant leak, same spot as last time, only this time they try to sell me a coolant reservoir claiming it’s cracked and want to charge me 190 bucks to install this new part when they already have the coolant system apart. I said no, I will install it myself. Get the car home finally after they fixed their coolant leak at the engine, and go to put the part on, only to discover there's absolutely no leak at the reservoir. My wife and I are now in the process of Lemon Law Buy Back. Stay away from the Cruze.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought my 2013 Cruze in late 2012. Chevy has the worst service department ever! I took it in to them for an oil change. I drove half a block and noticed smoke coming from the engine. I went back to the dealership, opened the hood and saw they idiot mechanic forgot to put the fill cap back on. They filled it up, put the cap on and cleaned the engine. However, the worst part was they never even apologized for the mistake or tried to offer a free oil change for screwing up. I have had multiple electric issues with the car.

One time I was at the gas station and it wouldn't start for an hour. Couldn't push the brake pedal in to start it. After an hour, it finally acted normal. Had power steering not work for a day. Catalytic converter went out. 3 leaks from the transmission. Ignition coil went out. Coolant reservoir was leaking and had to be replaced. Radio will shut off randomly and turn back on after a minute. IDK if the RAM gets full and that is why it shuts off, but the MyLink thing is the worst computer program I have seen on a vehicle. One time I went in to get my radio looked at and they had to keep it overnight. They wouldn't give me a loaner car. So I had to get a rental from Hertz and pay for the insurance on it. This is the third GM vehicle I have owned. I still miss my Pontiac Grand Prix somedays. The issues with this car and the horrible service at the dealerships have done me in. I will never buy another GM vehicle again!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My GF bought 2013 Chevy Cruze in 2014. It was Hertz Rental Car which told her was first red flag at 75k miles. We have had nothing but problems, fuel lines, injectors then started making noise like lawnmower. Was told exhaust manifold then oiltel hose melted the oz sensor cuz and now 3 days ago it stop working while driving it on highway. My mechanic told me timing chain broke then called me today said, "Timing chain bad. You have replaced valves pistons so motor is shot." She makes 300 week cash and I’m on SSDI all my money tied up. In new house I bought. She don’t know what do.

Now found a motor for 600 but I have kept telling her trade in now. How much will I get trade in with blown motor. Rough trade in on Napa. Put 3500 but I honestly don’t know her nor I have money for new motor and her GMA and mom in Alaska probably won’t help with motor and labor put in even though I told her tell I pay 100 month starting in December. I honestly don’t what to do. It’s piss me and her off. Have put 5k in last 6 months. Her GMA just paid it off so IDK what to just do. She won’t let me co-sign with her 'cause if she miss payment afraid I’ll take it. I just don’t know how much she get in trade in and what’s worth with blown motor. Thank you very much for any help.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Bought Cruze 2014 6 spd manual base model brand new march 2014. Car was only driven by my wife, who babied, maintained properly and kept in perfect condition. Just traded yesterday with 83K on it for a new Honda CRV at a huge loss because the Cruze holds zero resale! First 50k no problems. After that, 2 wiper motors, starter, flywheel, cad converter, valve cover, axle seal, radio would turn off, seat belt warning would go off with belt latched, motor would stall and car would lurch ahead a few feet, rough idle! Been in shop time after time. The car was so bad that the GM service manager at the GM dealership, looked me right in the eye and said, "You really need to get rid of this car, it is not safe for wife to drive!" I will never buy a Chevrolet again!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

My wife purchased a 2011 Chevy Cruze in December of 2012. Less than 6 months later she was replacing a water pump. Since that time it has had to have two more put in it. 9 months after purchase the throttle body went out. It has had fuel leaks, oil leaks, coolant leaks and much much more. Earlier this year we experienced overheating problems and were told by a GM certified mechanic and GM certified technician that it was internal. Well let's see over $1,600.00 to tear it down just to diagnose it, then find problem fix it or replace the motor and then $1,600.00 to re assemble it the car wasn't worth it.

So not only did this car leave me stranded two states away from home on a desolate highway, and several other times hours away from home. Now it is was going to possible break us financially so we traded it off and will never own a Chevy product and possibly never own a GM product. I would rate this vehicle a negative but you can't do that. The fuel mileage was never really that economical in this vehicle. My true rating for this car is 5 lemons (0 lemons good up to 5 lemons terrible).

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We purchased a 2016 Chevy Cruze LT RS. Price was great, mid $16,000. Fully loaded. Great family car. $40 fills the tank, and gas mileage average 37 miles per gallon. Gotta say, we have the sharpest looking car around.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I'm a 40 year purchaser of Chevy vehicles. The Cruze fiasco did me in. This car is the worst piece of junk ever put out by Chevy, and I'm done. I've been an avid Chevy fan since 1980 when I bought my first Chevy car followed in '85 by a new Silverado truck. I was totally satisfied with those cars and those since right up until this Chevy Cruze.

Egads people have created forums on how to repair these Cruzes. Not simple repairs but freaking engine repairs. Be aware your emissions system warranty is null and void and not covered by bumper to bumper at over 80k. Your powertrain which believe me you will very much need is null and void at 100k. This is the worst piece of crap car I've ever owned, and I'm 55. They know they have an issue, and are refusing to address it. I've had over $3500 in repairs since Feb 2017 on a 2014 with now 80,300k miles on it. Goodbye, Chevy.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I bought my brand new 2017 Chevy Cruze with only 28 miles on it! I really liked it at first until I learned more about the car. The car has nooo power. But that is fine. My problem is that the car's transmission blew out with only 4,000 total miles on it! I have had the car for under 4 months and it's already shot. The worst part is the customer service is AWFUL. I'm under warranty but I just want to ditch this POS car.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I bought the 2014 Chevy Cruze LS in June 2015. It was great the first month but then the problems began. I began to notice that it was going through gas extremely fast. I am talking about dropping 1/4 tank of gas going only 10 miles. When I took it to the mechanic they could find nothing wrong. In January 2017 is when the major issues started. While driving it all of a sudden said that my car was overheating. The temperature gauge had started to fluctuate and would spike all the way to H and the engine warning would come on telling me to pull over immediately. I pulled over and there was absolutely no signs showing the car was actually overheating (no smoke billowing out), only the warning message. After sitting with the car off for a few minutes, I was able to drive to my place before the message came on again.

For a few weeks, it wouldn't overheat, but the temperature gauge had stopped working completely and the fan for the engine would be roaring as soon as I cranked the car. The check engine light soon came on after this. After finally taking to the mechanic, they could find absolutely nothing wrong so they cleared the code. After clearing the code, the temperature gauge magically started working again. In May 2017, every single time I would take it to put gas in it, it would not crank. It would take a few tries before it would finally start. Took it into the shop and they had to fix something with a valve. (I apologize, I do not remember 100% what they exactly fixed. It’s been overwhelming with all that is wrong with it.)

In July 2017. My car was completely dead, clicking when I tried to start it. I popped the hood to find the positive battery terminal was the most corroded I had ever seen. I bought a new battery ($175 later) and for a week, my worries had dissipated. Then about one week after installing the new battery, I went to start it and all it did was click. After 10 times of trying to crank it, it sluggishly would start. I had the battery tested as well as to ensure grounding was okay and they were perfectly fine. The starter and alternator was okay. Took it into the shop yet again and had the positive battery cable changed because the prior corrosion has nearly ate through the cable. I was relieved that it would be an easy fix, except it didn't. It continues to start very sluggishly.

Finally this month (August 2017), I am in the process of moving across the country from GA to CO. Things were going great until I was halfway in MO. All of a sudden the "Service StabiliTrak" popped up, my radio completely shut off, and all the warning lights were on my dashboard. Within 10 seconds, the StabiliTrak message disappeared and the radio was back on. 5 seconds later, the radio shut off and went black before finally turning back on after 10 seconds. And it has been acting 100% normal since this. (Minus the VERY slow start.) I am desperate to get rid of this car. Unfortunately, I am upside down on the loan, finding out that this car is now only worth $5,500 yet I still owe $12,800. I honestly cannot imagine having to keep this lemon for another 3 years. Does ANYONE have any tips on where I go from here?!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Our 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco has been a great car, I see many complaints about issues we have never had thank goodness. Recently our engine has been making a pinging noise so we took it in. The mechanic tested the plugs and other surface components only to find it must be coming from inside the engine housing. He no longer does this type of work and so we are left deciding if we want to take it in for full on service or replace the vehicle. I am going to try an oil additive but am wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I bought my Chevy Cruze in 2014. I had one amazing year with the Cruze. Then the second year came and nothing but recalls. Then the third year hit. I have under 40,000 miles but wouldn't you know it, after that 2 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper expired, the problems started rolling in. And they didn't stop either. I have had problems with blown gaskets, oil and oil pan problems, and now the battery is screwed up. With no signs of a low battery, I went to start my car today and it wouldn't start. So I bought a new battery, but that was just the first step and several $100 dollars later. I have literally spent almost $5000 in two years extra into this piece of a car. Goodluck GM because I will never buy another car from you as long as I live. I will also make it my mission to stop family and friends from doing so as well.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze. Have had all recalls fixed but brakes continue to overheat. Just at dealership 2 days ago. Got coolant problem repaired. Told them for the fourth time about problems with brakes and was told nothing was wrong. Went out of town today. 2 hrs out brakes overheating light once again came On! This is not only dangerous but the incompetence at the dealership is mind-boggling. It is very hot here in Texas but why can the dealership not fix this problem? Do not even acknowledge it exists! So dangerous!

Original review: July 27, 2017

I bought a 2013 Chevy Cruze in 2014 and my check engine light came on and I took it to the chevy dealership to get fixed and when I got my car I still had the same problems and now 3 years later, I still have the same damn problems and no result. GMC has the worst cars and I Will Not Buy another GMC car again. They need to shut them down and chevy needs to stop selling their cars. GMC is falling off bad.

Original review: July 19, 2017

In May 2017, I brought my car 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ in for an oil change. Once I brought my car home I noticed missing paint on my driver's side door due to the carelessness of the dealership that did the oil change (there is also missing paint on the passenger side door that I didn't notice until recently). Anyways, I brought my car in to be fixed and after getting it back while reversing in a parking lot, my car stalled and the check engine light came on. I brought it back to the dealership and was told that the fuel pump (or something of that nature) needed to be replaced and that a code for the transmission came up as well. The check engine light came back on two weeks ago and the car had trouble picking up speed. I was able to restart it (after two attempts) and drove home.

The check engine light went off over the weekend then came back on four days later. The car stalled again while putting the car in drive, and it had difficulty picking up speed. After getting the run around for a loaner, I was able to bring the car back to the dealership. No one ever called me back so I had to call them on Monday, 7/17/17 to get a status. The car wasn't even looked at yet! It's coming up to one week without my car and I was told that the torque converter failed completely and needed to be replaced. How is that possible?! I've owned my vehicle for less than two years (I'll hit the two year mark next month) and it only has 9,500 + miles on it. Not happy.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I've had nothing but problems with my 2014 Cruze 1LT w/only 52,000 miles. It is stick shift and I bought it with 10 miles on it in 2014. The clutch blew twice - extremely sensitive which is strange. Then I had tons of recalls afterwards. Since it's a 4 cylinder & stick I figured it was just really slow. After 3yrs of driving it I found out it's actually a recall. This was after I started smelling something strange, my hood was smoking & I had to get it towed to the dealership. Oil had shot literally, all down & through my car!

Then check engine light came on & the dealership refused because the light wasn't on at that time. Even though it'd been on for weeks on/off. That was a few months ago. The check engine light came on again the other day for 2 days straight! Now it went off & I'm about to drive 12hrs away to NY in a couple weeks. Since I've been a long time Chevy owner, I always get the extended warranties & thank god I did! Also, the XM radio was stuck, then screen blacked out or stuck on incorrect song name/artist.

Overall, since 2014 I've had the following recalls/replacements (per my service record online): CAMSHAFT COVER, FRONT AXLE RIGHT HALF SHAFT, INTAKE MANIFOLD REPLACEMENT, PURGE SOLENOID VALVE, TURBO FEED LINE, VALVE COVER AND MANIFOLD & finally the VENT VALVE SOLENOID. This car is definitely a lemon & I'm really hoping the dealership doesn't give me any issues regarding the check engine light. I've been in there SO many times that I'm not paying for anything anymore. Has anyone else had the check engine light fixed & it came on again?

Original review: July 19, 2017

I purchased a 2016 Chevrolet Cruze and it have been in and out of the shop. What's bad is I can't get anyone from GM or the dealership who maintains the warranty to confirm my concerns. You know re duplicate is the KEY words when you're complaining about a product. The company's main focus is not standing behind their products. I can't believe not one person who have test driven the vehicle can duplicate my concerns. The problem persists. I am so tired. It's a shame. Pay all of this money on a vehicle under warranty but the company (GM) will not assist.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Turbo oil cooler lines leak constantly (not covered under Powertrain warranty), ECM reprogramming due to excessive emissions (why did GM not get sued by the federal government like VW did? Oh wait... They were owned by the federal government), took my MPG from 40 to 32. Garbage valves, seals, you name it. Customer Service finally agreed, after 4 calls, to contact the dealership to see if they will cover turbo oil line leaks ($595 estimate). Dealer said "Nope, nothing we can do for you". Looked up parts and replacement online, seems it is $40 parts and about 45 minutes to replace yourself (assuming you have proper tools). Should have been left to fail instead of bailing out this God awful company.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I bought a 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ. This is the worse car I ever bought with the highest payment I've ever had, yes it's a cute car but a lemon. I had problems at first with putting fuel in the car. It will start jerking and acting as if it was about to blow up. I called the place I bought it from. Of course I had warranty but it was covered so they said I fixed it. Next the coolant started having trouble so they said they would cover it. While at Chuck Stevens in Atmore they said they put a thermostat in it because I was buying jugs of antifreeze and it would leak out and I had no water.

That's 2016. Now it's back in the shop 2017 with the same problem. Jug won't hold antifreeze and when you pour it in. After filling the jug up the car says "A/C shutting down. Car is overheating." GM sucks and need to be sued because they built lemons and made quick money off poor hard working people. When will the rich ever stop stealing from the poor. When you talk to them they can care less about your problems. One day they will answer to God and no amounts of money or lawyers will help you!

Original review: May 30, 2017

My turbocharger first went out in my car and they replaced it under warranty. 20 months later, it went out again and now they will not replace it, even though I am still under warranty. I'm so disgusted with both the dealership and GM. I have escalated it numerous times. After the dealership first telling me it would be covered, they then told me nope, and it's $2068 to fix. I will never buy another GM vehicle again.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I bought a 2017 Chevy Cruze for Christmas 2016. The car is a 2017 and totally new. It's already been in the shop twice. In fact it is in the shop as I write this. My Representative said that it was driving on 3 cylinders as opposed to 4. I'm no mechanic, but that doesn't sound good. Should my new car be having these issues? I am starting to think I got a lemon. If I am already having these issues within the first 6 months, it can only get worse. It has been such an inconvenience. I do appreciate that they gave me a loaner while my car is being worked on but I pay 400.00 a month to be driving my new car around. At which point is it considered a lemon and can I trade it in? The only reason I bought this car was because I traded my truck in because Sands couldn't repair it after charging me 800.00. (that was a repeat visit as well). What are my options? Anybody have any pointers for me? Thank you.

Original review: May 16, 2017

So let me start by saying I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze with 175,800 miles on it and I've been through 6 valve covers, 2 intake manifolds, 3 coil packs and a ** tone of spark plugs and other dumb sensors! WTF AM I DOING WRONG! She be paid for doing it all myself by GM but they don't give two ** about us norms!

Chevy Cruze Company Information

Chevrolet
www.chevrolet.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use