1.98/5
Based on 47 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

253 Chevy Cruze Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

Got a 2015 Chevy Cruze a year ago. Have had nothing but problems with it, in the last two months a tire sensor went out and now the water pump at 72000 miles. Had taken it to to well known good shop and paid 100 for a diagnostic and they only found the water pump is out but Chevy would not hold up to their warranty because it wasn't a GM certified dealer. So got a hold of Chevy. They said for them to cover it had to go to a GM certified dealer and I explained that I do not trust their dealer in Minot, ND. They would not give in so called the dealer and they could not get it in for a week. I did not drive the car. It sat in my driveway and now all of a sudden they said that the radiator is leaking as well. That is not covered in the warranty and will cost over 600. Once it's out of the shop I am trading it in and never buying a Chevy again. Learned my lesson the hard way.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I’ve had my car (2017 Chevrolet Cruze) for 3 months and every time I’m driving my backdoors open up. I’ve taking it to the shop numerous times for this. One of the many time my 5 yr old son almost fell out to be hit by a speeding car. THANK GOD for that seatbelt. I even went on a ride In it with the Chevrolet service dealer manager and he witnessed it happen twice and tried to say the doors wasn’t closed all the way. They need to be slammed. Now I’ve had plenty of vehicles and never had to slam a door for them to stay closed. I’m currently seeking an attorney because I can’t risk one of my children because they don’t want to fix the problem.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Took my 2013 Chevy Cruze to the dealership, for my drive assist feature that was no longer working (side mirror light for assistance), and for an incident of driving down interstate at 70 mph, and having all the electrical inside the vehicle go black! I had no idea how fast I was even going!!! The service man said that the modules for those are completely corroded, and needed replaced, and what caused the blackout in my car! So that came to $1104! I also had another incident of backing out of a parking space and my driveway, when I went to brake, the brake was hard and I could not stop right away! There is a recall for the brake vacuum pump for the 2011-2012, for the EXACT same issue with my car (2013), but no recall for mine! This cost, $460! So I am almost at $1700 on a vehicle that is 5 years old, that I just paid off!!

I called Chevrolet, but customers do not matter, they would not help me at all with anything! What happened to keep the customer happy? WHY are you putting electric modules behind wheel wells, unprotected?? I’m not an engineer, but the trunk seems the logical place?? Why should I have to pay $1104 for you, Chevy, for failing to make a dependable/reliable car that can last more than 5 years WITHOUT major repairs?? I am scared to drive this vehicle, it is NOT SAFE, and CHEVY is putting my family’s life and other families in danger! Do what’s right Chevy, and make these recalls! I am so disappointed, disappointed enough to start looking for a vehicle I can rely on. This was a car I was proud of, and took care of, not anymore. And I will make sure that anyone and everyone I know, doesn’t make the same mistake I did!

Original review: May 30, 2018

GM Motors should have known better putting these Cruze's (2014 Chevrolet Cruze) out knowing about these problems. First off I had problems last year with my stability track light and the car bucking, took it to dealership and they replaced a faulty battery wire under warranty. Now I'm having the same problem and the dealership wants $1000 to fix cause GM says it's out of warranty. If I had $1000 to give them I wouldn't be driving a Cruze!!! MAD? I AM FUMING!!! GM knows these problems. Wonder if they even look back at the work that was done to suffice me? And just the other day I had someone tell me that everyone they know that has a Cruze is complaining about the same problem!!! I will be shouting this from the rooftops!!! Until my car is repaired under warranty because of the faulty parts they use to put these cars together! On to the newspapers and to reporters! I'm gonna get the word out! These cars cost too much to be lemons!

Original review: May 27, 2018

2017 Chevy Cruze LT - I bought a new one on Sept 2, 2017. I love this car. I have had no issues with anything. Dealer has bent over backwards to help us. Never has any problems. I had a 2014 Ford Focus SE from 6 month old brand new. Trany went out 6 trans in 42 months. My Chevy has gave me np whatsoever. Great gas mileage. Apple to apple the Chevy is a better car all the round.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Original review: May 21, 2018

Bought a 2012 Cruze used in 2016. Through the 2 years of ownership I had problems. 3 times the coolant boiled over/leaked. Water pump had to be replaced along with some associated parts. Were free repairs under a service bulletin, but I had to research it online and take what I found to the dealer, because they wanted to charge me. Trunk would not close. Weak engine, had a hard time getting up hills if I had a couple luggage bags in back. Way lower MPG than EPA rating. Close to 20 MPG... may as well drive a truck. This is my 4th GM car I've owned and will be my last. My Malibu had many issues too. Going to try out a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T. Toyota would be a good choice too for reliability but they are kinda boring and ugly.

Bought a 2012 Cruze used in 2016. Through the 2 years of ownership I had problems. 3 times the coolant boiled over/leaked. Water pump had to be replaced along with some associated parts. Were free repairs under a service bulletin, but I had to research it online and take what I found to the dealer, because they wanted to charge me. Trunk would not close. Weak engine, had a hard time getting up hills if I had a couple luggage bags in back. Way lower MPG than EPA rating. Close to 20 MPG....may as well drive a truck. This is my 4th GM car I've owned and will be my last. My Malibu had many issues too. Going to try out a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T. Toyota would be a good choice too for reliability but they are kinda boring and ugly.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Owned the car (2012 Cruze) brand new off the lot. Seat adjustment quit working. Trunk opener quit working. Water leaks into the interior when it rains hard. Heater won't even clear frost off interior of windows in cold weather, blind spot on drivers side. Starting losing oil at about 120,000 KM. At 140,000 KM the inlet manifold and valve cover needed to be replaced (very common problem and expensive). Now at 150,000 KM we are told that the engine is shot, needs a complete overhaul. We will not be spending the 3500 on engine repairs. We will just consider this a good lesson to never purchase a Chevy again, and abandon the car.

Original review: May 13, 2018

2012 Chevy Cruze. Granted, 138,000 miles on it, but according to previous owner, almost everything is replaced in this car. My worst complaint? Horrible blind spot. As some others mentioned, I got a blind spot INSIDE the car, because the door pillar blocks my view to the left and the mirror doesn't show anything. I can't see a damn thing and I almost got into accidents, because there is a perfect spot for an entire car to hide right next to you, you won't see it, unless you bob around with your head over your shoulder and you gotta do this constantly, like every 5 minutes, even if you aren't changing lanes.

Poor acceleration, poor manual transmission, bad clutch, unreliable car. You have to pray to be cool outside, because once you turn on the AC, you wish you could stick your legs out Flintstone style to give it a push to get anywhere. It has a horrible resale value as well, no surprises there of course. 30mpg at best, but my wife has a car 2x the weight and size, with twice the performance and she gets 33mpg. Avoid this car by all means. The seats are comfortable, end of good things.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I bought a 2012 Chevy Cruze and I have had a lot of problems. I have replaced three batteries, a thermostat, and now a transmission. I owe about $1000.00 on my car and the Chevy dealer is telling me it will be $4800.00 to replace the transmission. I contacted GM in hopes that they would see that this isn’t right. They couldn’t do anything to help. I couldn’t even get a rental while they evaluated the car. Meanwhile, Glen Burnie Transmission gave me a rental car and fixed it for 1/2 of the cost. I will never buy a Chevy again. This company is all about money and not customer service.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My 2014 Chevy Cruze is a great car with many features plus big car feeling. You can purchase this vehicle fully equipped and out the door for $19,000. Compared to a smaller car (FORD) we were able to get Mid Size Cruze fully equipped for less money which gave me a much better ride.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze, and have had no problems with it. It drives and rides comfortably. The turbo comes in handy for merging on to the highway, and makes you feel like you really have something under the hood.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I really like my Chevy Cruze. The only issue I have with it is the way it shifts. But the car is so very good on gas and has enough room for 5 people without being a very large car.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Mileage on my Chevy Cruze 2014 is great. Only have to fill tank once a month, sometimes two. Even though it's a 4 cylinder it still has good pep behind it. It is easier to get out of spot with a lot of snow and I was surprised how it handled in snow... not that I drove in heavy snow, but snowy driveway and some roads. You still have to be careful because you can still slide. When you start up car it will tell you there is possible ice conditions and be careful. I like everything about it except 1 thing. There is a blind spot if you have to pull out into traffic, due to the higher headrests, so you must be careful. Other than that I love my car.

Original review: April 24, 2018

This car seemed like a good deal when I got it but they must love to have sold me this piece of crap. I’ve had cars before that lasted 10 years or more and had to buy a car because my car was giving me problems. This car has been in the shop for a recall or issue at least every 4 months. Almost loved at the dealership. Then when I just had paid off the car, the 5 year mark, the check engine light came on. Had a sensors fixed and it worked for about a week and had to take it back. I’ve had my car at the dealership mechanic for a week while driving a loaner. When I finally got some answers, ends up that it might be my engine. What? The car only had 67,000 miles on it and, of course, the warranty is over so I might have to end up paying for it!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have been a Chevrolet owner all my adult life. But, now I no longer think GM is the company it used to be. I have just over 72000 miles on this car (2013 Chevy Cruze) and it ran out of warranty. I have read that this model year has faulty pistons and the motor does not last. I love everything about this car and wanted to keep it for a long time. I firmly believe a vehicle should be still going at 72000 miles. I have read the reviews on the 2012 and 2013 that say it has a faulty engine. It should have had a recall. If Chevrolet can no longer make a vehicle that last several hundred miles as it should. I will start finding one that does. I cannot afford to buy a new vehicle.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Chevy Cruze is perfect on gas mileage and price. If you are looking to get to point a to b perfect! The 2017 model offers WiFi, Bluetooth, hands free calling, OnStar navigation and protection package.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My 2015 Chevy Cruze ECO has been a great car for over 70,000. It has averaged over 42 mpg which is better than many expensive hybrid models. The tires are still good and the only failure was an O2 sensor. I bought the Cruze because of its looks, performance and overall cost. Dealer discounts and rebates lowered the purchase price over $3500. In addition I have a GM credit card that reduced the price another $2000. So buying a $21,000 car for $15,000 is a great deal.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Me and my wife bought our 2017 Chevy Cruze last year in June 2017, I have had nothing but problems with the car. We have had to bring it in monthly now for the last 7 months of ownership, first we brought in for the auto start stop function turning the car off completely in freeway traffic, we brought it to Diamond Hills Chevy in Banning Ca for the problem and told it was a hiccup, second time we brought in was for a sound in the back end of the car, dealer said that the sound was a loose spare tire, we brought in 4 times for the sound to find out we needed a torsion kit installed, they installed it and sound went away. Third problem we had with the car was a popping sound on passenger side door, we took it in twice for that problem, it got fixed after that.

Fourth problem with the car was water leaking into the trunk where the spare tire sits, dealer said we left trunk open while washing the car, car is currently back in shop for that problem along with brakes rubbing metal to metal which the car is too new for that. Before taking it in recently I have taken the car into at 3 times for auto start stop stalling the car out. I have called GM to file for arbitration to get the car bought back by GM but GM denied the request buy back, right now I'm pursuing a lemon law attorney. My personal opinion is Chevy and GM have lost me as a long time customer. I don't recommend this car for anyone.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My trunk fails to open with the key, or manually at times. When I took it to a car dealership, the technicians were unable to elicit the trunk to not open. They were very helpful, and offered a loaner car for me to drive until they could find out what was wrong with my car. They kept my car for almost three days, and my trunk reportedly opened every time. I brought my car home, and my trunk began to not open sporadically again. They said that I could bring the car back, but it seems useless at this point. My only hope is that the trunk stops opening entirely, but with my luck it will stop when my car is no longer within warranty. My car is a 2016 and still within warranty.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Bought my car (2017 Chevy Cruze) with 8 miles on it. I've had it in at least once a month for SOMETHING! 3rd brake light has been changed twice (once for me), vacuum pump didn't sound right so they went ahead and changed it, body module went out at 12k miles, something in the rear end had to be riveted up, I still have a noise like hot metal expanding. Less than 31k miles on it. Absolutely hate it!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Last week I took my vehicle in for service on 2/12/18. In short the dealership ended up having to replace my air compressor. Then I took the vehicle back on 2/19/18 because the doors are clicking which they didn't address the first time. I went for a test drive with the mechanic so he could hear the doors. He did in fact hear the doors click and said he would test it further, etc. to find out exactly where in the door the noise was coming from. I also asked about the auto stop feature on my vehicle and stated that the vehicle was not performing the auto stop function and I was informed that this was normal! WHAT?

Now today 2/23/18 I get a call from my service agent saying they couldn't get the clicking noise in the door to duplicate long enough to fix the problem. So I'm just stuck driving a vehicle with the doors clicking all the time, it's annoying!!! This is unacceptable for a vehicle that I have only had for 7 months. I am concerned about the function and safety of the vehicle and no one is willing to help! Unacceptable vehicle performance and customer service from GM!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I absolutely hate my car and it’s only 4 years old. I own a 2014 Chevy Cruze and it’s always broken. In four years I’ve had to change the valve cover gasket four times for leakage. Yes, once each year. It lacks power and is cheaply made. I would prefer Chevrolet to buy it back because I’m done paying for this piece of crap.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I couldn't afford a new car until I was 50. I was so excited. I purchased a 2012 Chevy Cruze LT, beautiful car... worst car ever!!! Heater problems, PCV problems, slipping transmission. My family worked for Chevy builders my whole life, I wanted to be loyal... no more, I hate this car but I'm stuck, I still owe for this piece of junk! Foreign car for me next time... Chevy, I'm disappointed and embarrassed for you. SAD.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I bought a 2015 Cruze LTZ in November of 15. It's been a nightmare and I will never buy another one. It has been in shop over 40 times over the last 2+ years and over 80 mechanical issues. It has been the worst car experience ever and GM don't want to do anything. It has never run right and just one thing after another. Chevy has the worst service department ever. It's been in shop every month, sometimes multiple times for the last 2+ years. I hope eventually something is done from GM and dealership. I will never buy one again and do not recommend the Cruze.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

2012 Chevy Cruze - Worst car ever! If this car was for free and I could go back I would never have taken it. Only had it for two years now maybe pushing 3. First I needed a new head gasket (not sure if that's how you spell it). Couple months later I had a leak with the coolant and fixed that. A couple weeks later my radiator had to be replaced so I did that. Check engine light on and it's only about a month done. New radiator was put in. Check engine light is on. Car acting like it wants to shut off and jerking. I only drive the most 10 miles a day to work and dropping/picking up my kids from their bus stop. I should NOT be having problems like this but I do.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I leased a 2017 Chevy Cruze from State auto last Nov. I have complained to the dealer numerous times about interior heating problems, cold feet. They said that is the way these new cars are made. Told them about the very loud road noise. They said must be the road I drive one. Replaced the wipers at 3,000 miles. Not under warranty. Cost me 50 bucks. On star sucks. Oh they get me almost to the right place. A cheap GPS is way better. I still have 2 years 2 months for this car that I am deeply sorry for getting talked into. I will never buy or lease an American car again. I am 71 years old. I have fixed up and bought 100 dollar cars and 300 dollar trucks for 30 years and every single car or truck that I bought is better and more reliable than this new 2017 Chevy... This is great disappointment.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Leased a Chevy Cruze and a Chevy Equinox... Worse decision we ever made. Since Week One: The Cruze has no power, hesitated when moving forward. Now it won't start when cold. Equinox: No power when moving forward... Piece of junk! Before this, we had reliable Toyotas and Hondas. Thought we'd give Chevy a try: Big mistake! And, we still have a year of payments to go!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I purchased a brand new 2017 Chevy Cruze the end of April and started hearing a clunking noise in the rear in October. I figured something had loosened up due to the Michigan roads and avoided getting it looked at until I was driving one day and my car started acting up real bad. So I took it to dealership (17,000 miles on vehicle) and told them at the time about the clunking noise and the car's service StabiliTrak system and the car jerking really bad and didn't want to even accelerate. I found out the a piston cracked.

The dealership replaced all 4 pistons and then told me that the clunking I was hearing is my rear axle. They lubed it and told me if I still hear it in 30 days to bring back and they will put a new rear axle in. WHY am I having any issues with this vehicle with only this many miles on it. As for me I am not happy spending this kind of money on something that I am always going to be worrying about if I will make it to my destinations. I will never own another one of these or GM product for the matter as everyone I have ever owned have been junk.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I now have 309000 km on my car and it still runs great. It has had issues but never left me stranded. The brake discs warped and I replaced them with a set from eBay for $200 including pads and shipping. I had an oil leak which turned out to be the turbo oil line o ring replaced at the dealership. The water pump leaked during the warranty period and was fixed at the dealership. The PCV valve went around 290000 km which meant a new valve cover $90cad and I fitted it. If you maintain this car and change the oil it's a good car. 2011 Cruze Eco 6 speed.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I purchased a 2017 Chevy Cruze brand new! I had this car for 4 months and it started acting up so I took it into Clay Cooley (where I purchased). They determined after 7 days that it was a cracked piston (no fault of ours), they asked to see all of our service receipt which we were glad to hand over. 5 weeks later we got our car back. Now today as I sit at the Service Center AGAIN, I'm so angry with this purchase. I have had issue after issue with this and these people at this Service Center. Driving down the street and my whole Stereo/backup Camera and Bluetooth screen goes black. Yes I did the checks and balance and the fuses where fine no burnt ones. Now they are telling me that they might have to put a new system in. WTH is going on with this lemon. I have owned 3 Chevy Trucks, Corvette, Cadillac, my family has always been a Chevy owner. But I think this is the last straw for us. :(

Chevy Cruze Company Information