3.44/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevy Cruze

The Chevy Cruze is a compact car that has been manufactured since 2008. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevy Cruze Reviews

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

My GFs 2017 1.4T Cruze has gone through two engines now. First time the block had a hole in it and it was leaking oil. For all I know it was because the piston blew up and wrecked the block. Service Stabiltrak, service traction control, and reduced engine power were codes that it threw the first time. The second time there's no oil leak but the scanner is throwing multiple random misfire and is running rough then dying just like the first engine. It's loaned and the first engine had 36,000 miles on it when it died but the second engine didn't even have 2,000 miles on it. We're now in the market for a 2019 Honda Civic with standard trans. Don't ever get a Chevy Cruze and as far as I'm concerned, a GM product either.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I had owned a Honda Civic before this, amazing car but it had been abused horribly by a prior job. When I had the chance to buy a US made car with great mileage I jumped at it. I regret this decision every day. At 80,000 my oil gasket failed, flooded my spark plugs with oil and turned my car into a 1 cylinder lawn mower. At 110,000 I experienced violent idling that would shut the engine off, then white smoke or blue smoke would billow out the back with a smell that made me sick. Mechanics insisted nothing was wrong for months. At 120,000 it began to become almost undrivable and would stall and then shoot to 30 mph in 1 second. After much arguing, Chevy finally looked at it. I had a cracked piston, a cracked turbocharger, and was leaking oil and coolant into the combustion chambers via the turbo.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Bought a Chevy Cruze Certified Used. Took it to the same dealership Purchased at which was Stoops Buick and GMC in Plainfield Indiana. The car was running rough and took it for service. They replaced belts, hoses, tensioners, pistons, pulleys, and exhaust manifold. (Noted this is within 3 trips back in 1 and a half weeks. Started taking it July 10th 2019.) The car still wasn't fixed. Time wasted for me. Car still running rough.

It is now as I write this today July 19th 2019 at Hubler Chevrolet on US 31 South Indianapolis Indiana 46227. They are now charging me 325 dollars for a u valve replacement and when I chatted with Chevy on their website they are giving me the runaround about a refund. They said it was originally the PCV valve which was an issue for Chevy Cruzes that had to do with the turbo or something which when I mentioned should be fixed for free being my warranty and even Chevy's terrible engineering they changed it and said u valve.

I don't know if their calls to me are recorded but you can listen for yourselves Chevy. My facts are solid like you wanted. The rep at Stoops Buick GMC in Plainfield is named Jason. He is the only one named Jason in the shop there. Call 'em. Do your research now. Side note that negative battery cable issue my car had it it was at GM's fault not mine. They charged me 55 dollars to replace a factory default. Freaking Pathetic.

Original review: July 2, 2019

My first car was a Cruze 2016. I purchased it Oct. 2018. I had issues with it like a leak in a pipe which overheated my engine then Recently in May the 2016 Cruze service StabiliTrak & Service Traction control started popping up, like now what? Then it started to tremble here and there when I would go out! & I just had changed the oil within that week too. So I went back the dealership Hubert Vester Chevrolet, That day when I went back to get A diagnostic test on it, I decided to trade it in for a 2019 Chevrolet Cruze, Ok I fell in love with the car at first. It was New, the ride was smooth. I had no problems with it till today July 1th 2019 I went to my nearby grocery store. Arrived to the store with no problems. When it was time to drive back home I couldn’t believe what was going on! I started up the car. I notice my engine light was ON.

It was not there before I got to the store. Ok so soon as I put my car in Reverse my car engine started to TREMBLE like wtf this is happening! All over again! I put the car in drive. The car didn’t want to go. As I pressed down on the gas it didn’t accelerate as it should. I made it home with the grace of GOD. I was afraid not going to deny it. When I arrive home I turn off the car right then BOOM. The key is stuck to ignition, it didn’t want to come out, At this point my head is hurting. I call OnStar. They really gave me hope. Kathy I think that was her name was so nice to me. I recommend to always have OnStar. They really are there when you need them the most! They call assistant, had to get the car towed at my home. I don’t know what else to say... I don’t think I’ll ever get in a Chevrolet vehicle again. I hope everyone gets home safe at the end of the day! Be careful guys. We’ll see what tomorrow brings...

Original review: July 1, 2019

I traded in a Kia after it was in an accident for a 2016 Cruze Limited. I had like the car from when it first came out, design, features, fuel economy. I found out in a hurry this decision was a huge mistake. It started off being fine for the first few months, then I started noticing minor issues, to now serious issues. My front driver side tire was losing air about everyday, brought it to the dealership to have them check it, was told there was nothing wrong. Kept having the issue nowhere could figure it out, until I got new tires. 15 inch tire on a 16 inch rim from the factory. Then even with proper maintenance my passenger side from tire wears so quickly within a few months. Keep being told there is nothing wrong and it’s normal.

My windows in the back barely go down, they make a god awful bucking noise going up and down. The radio and steering controls work less than half of the time. The car locks and unlocks it self even when I don’t have my keys on me. Trunk randomly opens without any button pushed. The shifter knob came off one day as I shifted the car. The foam in the seat broke away so I’ve had to try and fix that cause metal driving into you back isn’t comfortable at all. The car right outside of the warranty started jumping at stoplights when idling. Now the car can’t climb hills without being extremely hesitant and choking.

The service StabiliTrak message came on the other day, water pump just let go causing the car to get so hot the radiator fan sounds like the commercial dryers. Purge valve went, spark plugs were just replaced, the catalytic converter needs to now be replaced. It’s never ending. I could go on and on about how much I hate this car, but if you’ve read this far you’d understand. Stay away, this car is cheaply made, and makes me never want to buy a Chevy product again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Cruze?

Original review: June 18, 2019

This 2016 Chevy Cruze with only 22,000 mile required a new a/c compressor? Called dealership and Chevy stated that my warranty expired this year 2019! No help. Just a complete runaround and after already had it checked. The dealership was going to charge me $89.95 to check it out? Decided to take it on myself and here's another thing! To get to the retention pulley had to jack the engine, remove engine bolts and all brackets. Worst design ever! Please don't buy this vehicle. Nothing but serious trouble. All they kept asking, "Did you purchase extended warranty!" Money is all they want after the high cost of the vehicle. Never again!

Original review: May 25, 2019

I bought a Chevy Cruze because aesthetically it was a very nice vehicle. For about the first few months it ran nicely and was quite easy on gas, which I liked. It didn't take long though for me to figure out the vehicle was a piece of junk. Within the first 5 months of owning it, my transmission went bad as well as the output sensor on the transmission. Several of my window motors burnt out. My airbag sensors starting going bad. At the six month mark, my transmission went bad again. Thankfully it was under warranty from its previous fix. Most of my coolant system went bad, with a pricey repair. My air intake went bad and then to top it all off, the transmission died again. Again, still under warranty.

I would NEVER buy a Chevy product again! Quite frankly, after realizing how cheap their new vehicles are made, I'm surprised they can legally get away with selling this overpriced crap. Save yourselves a lot of money and just buy a Toyota or Hyundai. At least they still care about what people are spending their hard earned money on and not just trying to make a quick payday.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Worst mistake of my life! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!! I bought my 2016 Chevy Cruze in March 2017. Since then my car has has had several major issues!! First it’s was the a traction control error message on the dash, then the turbo, the purge valve, overheating which led to me having to replace my water pump, water housing and all hoses! Now I have a cracked head gasket and a car I can’t drive! Keep in mind all maintenance has been kept up on this vehicle and very well taken care of! I took it to the shop 4 times blown head gasket was cracked and at first I was told they couldn’t find anything wrong with and literally within 2 weeks everything went down.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Bought 2016 in late December 2017. First thing turbo charger, 2 weeks later water pump housing, 2 weeks later bad hoses, two weeks after that the fuel valve purge canister, two weeks later transmission gasket and head gasket leaking because of overheating due to faulty reservoir not being sealed, cracked windshield wipers reservoir. Tonight I get home and battery is dead. The worse thing is it only has a 60000 Mile power train warranty. Now I know why. I purchased a extended warranty which has not covered a darn thing. I contacted my lawyer. Just can't afford to buy another car. I would rather drive a convertible Geo Metro or a Yugo at this point. At least I know what that is. None of this computer ???? and give me a car with a carburetor and a distributor cap and I will be fine. Rant over. Thank you for reading.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I bought my 2013 Cruze brand new in 2013. It was a great car at first, no problems and a very smooth ride. That all quickly changed 4 years down the road. I had an oil leak. Went to a Chevrolet dealership to get it looked at. They ended up having to rebuild the engine twice because they could not figure out why my car was leaking oil. The dealership had my car for almost a month doing all of the work. My car had less than 50k miles on it. The total cost of the rebuild was almost $20k. My car wasn't even worth $10k at that point.

Chevrolet had just wasted money on repairing it instead of just taking the hit and keeping it. Fast forward 2 years I am back at another Chevrolet dealership because I had a message come on twice saying "AC turn off due to high engine temp". I didn't even have my A/C on. Turns out that the water pump is leaking, the water outlet housing has to be replaced, the lower trans cooler lines on radiator is leaking which is going to cost about $2k to fix. It's just been one problem after another and far too many leaks. More money has gone to repairs than what the car is actually worth. I am definitely going to be getting rid of this car as soon as I can.

Chevy Cruze Company Information