2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.74/5

The Chevy Cruze is a compact car that has been manufactured since 2008. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Chevy Cruze Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Cruze?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Cruze?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I am retired and my wife is disabled and we needed an economical car for all our appointments that seemed to be inevitably increasing in our older years. We were talked into the Chevy Cruze by a fast talking salesperson and we pursued to acquire one. We first leased the 2016 Chevy Cruze Limited because it was the only way we could acquire a vehicle at the time. Seemed like a fine car, two years after we had it, the engine severely overheated on us. I took it back to the dealer, the water pump, the thermostat housing and water outlet assembly all had to be replaced. It seemed odd that such a simple part failed so quickly. Fortunately the drive train warranty (To 60,000 miles) covered the repairs.

Now understand, our dealer offers free lifetime oil changes and tires rotations which we always followed through on. I am an old school mechanic and when I see simple things go wrong I address it and I do the maintenance. Tire replacement, brakes, air filters, etc. When the end of the 3 year lease was coming to an end, we decided to buy the car, and we did! Ever since the replacement of the water pump and the other parts, the car never seemed to really drive like it did when we first took possession of it. Some time the electronics screen on the dash would go black and then come right back on, so I never gave it much thought. But then the shock of our life, two years to the month, the car overheats again and shuts down. I look for water leaking and I see none, it was just like the first time, no evidence as to where the water was leaking from the engine.

So the next day I fill the over flow tank and bleed the air out of the system and made sure the system was full of water, and I return to the dealer the next morning figuring that because this was exactly the same problem I had two years earlier, that this was a condition that Chevrolet would take care of at no cost to me, well I was wrong. The car is 4 years old, I now have 72,000 miles on the car and they tell me that there are no warranties, there are no recalls for this car regardless to the fact that the engine overheating was a major problem with this car for many years. So they told me they could run an "analysis" that would cost me $97.00 for them to tell me exactly what was wrong with the car. So I said okay! I had to leave my car and take a shuttle ride back to my home.

That afternoon they contacted me and said that they completed the review and they also changed my oil and rotated my tires while they had it there. So they sent their shuttle to pick me up. I get there and they provide me with the report and told me that the same parts failed again on the car. But this time there is no warranty to cover the repairs. They give me an estimate of $872.00 to make the repairs. I am retired living on social security, I don't have that kind of money to make a repair of a fairly new car with an obvious engine design flaw! So, I drove it back to my house. I ordered all the parts myself, water pump, thermostat housing assembly, water outlet assembly and replaced all of them. Added new coolant and bled the system of all the air, system was full, and I took it for a test run and everything ran well, for that short trip.

The next morning my wife and I got into the car to take her to an appointment, and about 5 miles down the road the car totally overheats again. I get out, lift the hood, still there is no apparent leakage anywhere. I contact the Chevrolet dealership and talk to the service department and a service advisor. I told them that as a result of their review of the problem my car was displaying and what you recommended to me, I had gone ahead and performed those repairs myself. And the car still overheated. I advised them that somehow their analysis of the problem didn't reflect everything that was obviously wrong with the engine. Water was leaking from the car but where? Their service advisor informed me that it may be leaking into the engine. So I had pulled the oil dipstick and checked it and it did not reflect any evidence that water had gotten in the engine. The new oil the dealership put in the car was still as clear as it was when it was put in.

He advised me that if this has happened to this car twice that I may have a warped head on the engine. But I asked him wouldn't I be showing a milky brown oil if that were the case and he confirmed that it would be very evident, which it wasn't. So, the next morning I was getting ready to take to a Chevrolet dealership that was closer to me than where I had bought it and as I drove down the road about 4 miles, the car immediately overheats and shuts down my car in the middle of traffic. A couple of people helped push my car off the street into a parking lot and and from there it was picked up by a tow truck and taken back to my place where the car sits today!

A 4 year old car, 72,000 miles and the engine is blown. After the same problems occurs twice on this engine! Still making payments on a car that does not work. Chevrolet knew this car has had this same problem occur on many of the Chevy Cruze models and made no effort to recall these cars. It is a poorly designed engine. My lawn mower is 8 years old and still runs like a top. Now I am out to seek compensation for a poorly designed vehicle engine that should never have died with 72,000 miles.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I bought a 2014 LTZ a three years ago. Was great for the first couple years but now is a total piece of junk. So disappointed as I really love the Cruze but will likely never again buy a Chevy. This car has serious coolant and oil problems. So much so that my turbo is toast. Have had it in the shop several times for both of these issues. Turbo needs to be replaced. Car has 140k on it and has been maintained as it should. Time to get rid of it before it leaves me hanging again and buy another Jeep.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

RUN!!!! This car is riddled with problems. I have a 2014 Cruze that is virtually unusable now. I know a lot of people that bought it due to affordability and every person I know had extreme mechanical issues. This car will run well for a year maybe even a couple but when the problems start coming in they are severe, expensive and nonstop. Don't go near these cars.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

My GFs 2017 1.4T Cruze has gone through two engines now. First time the block had a hole in it and it was leaking oil. For all I know it was because the piston blew up and wrecked the block. Service Stabiltrak, service traction control, and reduced engine power were codes that it threw the first time. The second time there's no oil leak but the scanner is throwing multiple random misfire and is running rough then dying just like the first engine. It's loaned and the first engine had 36,000 miles on it when it died but the second engine didn't even have 2,000 miles on it. We're now in the market for a 2019 Honda Civic with standard trans. Don't ever get a Chevy Cruze and as far as I'm concerned, a GM product either.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I had owned a Honda Civic before this, amazing car but it had been abused horribly by a prior job. When I had the chance to buy a US made car with great mileage I jumped at it. I regret this decision every day. At 80,000 my oil gasket failed, flooded my spark plugs with oil and turned my car into a 1 cylinder lawn mower. At 110,000 I experienced violent idling that would shut the engine off, then white smoke or blue smoke would billow out the back with a smell that made me sick. Mechanics insisted nothing was wrong for months. At 120,000 it began to become almost undrivable and would stall and then shoot to 30 mph in 1 second. After much arguing, Chevy finally looked at it. I had a cracked piston, a cracked turbocharger, and was leaking oil and coolant into the combustion chambers via the turbo.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Bought a Chevy Cruze Certified Used. Took it to the same dealership Purchased at which was Stoops Buick and GMC in Plainfield Indiana. The car was running rough and took it for service. They replaced belts, hoses, tensioners, pistons, pulleys, and exhaust manifold. (Noted this is within 3 trips back in 1 and a half weeks. Started taking it July 10th 2019.) The car still wasn't fixed. Time wasted for me. Car still running rough.

It is now as I write this today July 19th 2019 at Hubler Chevrolet on US 31 South Indianapolis Indiana 46227. They are now charging me 325 dollars for a u valve replacement and when I chatted with Chevy on their website they are giving me the runaround about a refund. They said it was originally the PCV valve which was an issue for Chevy Cruzes that had to do with the turbo or something which when I mentioned should be fixed for free being my warranty and even Chevy's terrible engineering they changed it and said u valve.

I don't know if their calls to me are recorded but you can listen for yourselves Chevy. My facts are solid like you wanted. The rep at Stoops Buick GMC in Plainfield is named Jason. He is the only one named Jason in the shop there. Call 'em. Do your research now. Side note that negative battery cable issue my car had it it was at GM's fault not mine. They charged me 55 dollars to replace a factory default. Freaking Pathetic.

Original review: July 2, 2019

My first car was a Cruze 2016. I purchased it Oct. 2018. I had issues with it like a leak in a pipe which overheated my engine then Recently in May the 2016 Cruze service StabiliTrak & Service Traction control started popping up, like now what? Then it started to tremble here and there when I would go out! & I just had changed the oil within that week too. So I went back the dealership Hubert Vester Chevrolet, That day when I went back to get A diagnostic test on it, I decided to trade it in for a 2019 Chevrolet Cruze, Ok I fell in love with the car at first. It was New, the ride was smooth. I had no problems with it till today July 1th 2019 I went to my nearby grocery store. Arrived to the store with no problems. When it was time to drive back home I couldn’t believe what was going on! I started up the car. I notice my engine light was ON.

It was not there before I got to the store. Ok so soon as I put my car in Reverse my car engine started to TREMBLE like wtf this is happening! All over again! I put the car in drive. The car didn’t want to go. As I pressed down on the gas it didn’t accelerate as it should. I made it home with the grace of GOD. I was afraid not going to deny it. When I arrive home I turn off the car right then BOOM. The key is stuck to ignition, it didn’t want to come out, At this point my head is hurting. I call OnStar. They really gave me hope. Kathy I think that was her name was so nice to me. I recommend to always have OnStar. They really are there when you need them the most! They call assistant, had to get the car towed at my home. I don’t know what else to say... I don’t think I’ll ever get in a Chevrolet vehicle again. I hope everyone gets home safe at the end of the day! Be careful guys. We’ll see what tomorrow brings...

Original review: July 1, 2019

I traded in a Kia after it was in an accident for a 2016 Cruze Limited. I had like the car from when it first came out, design, features, fuel economy. I found out in a hurry this decision was a huge mistake. It started off being fine for the first few months, then I started noticing minor issues, to now serious issues. My front driver side tire was losing air about everyday, brought it to the dealership to have them check it, was told there was nothing wrong. Kept having the issue nowhere could figure it out, until I got new tires. 15 inch tire on a 16 inch rim from the factory. Then even with proper maintenance my passenger side from tire wears so quickly within a few months. Keep being told there is nothing wrong and it’s normal.

My windows in the back barely go down, they make a god awful bucking noise going up and down. The radio and steering controls work less than half of the time. The car locks and unlocks it self even when I don’t have my keys on me. Trunk randomly opens without any button pushed. The shifter knob came off one day as I shifted the car. The foam in the seat broke away so I’ve had to try and fix that cause metal driving into you back isn’t comfortable at all. The car right outside of the warranty started jumping at stoplights when idling. Now the car can’t climb hills without being extremely hesitant and choking.

The service StabiliTrak message came on the other day, water pump just let go causing the car to get so hot the radiator fan sounds like the commercial dryers. Purge valve went, spark plugs were just replaced, the catalytic converter needs to now be replaced. It’s never ending. I could go on and on about how much I hate this car, but if you’ve read this far you’d understand. Stay away, this car is cheaply made, and makes me never want to buy a Chevy product again.

Original review: June 18, 2019

This 2016 Chevy Cruze with only 22,000 mile required a new a/c compressor? Called dealership and Chevy stated that my warranty expired this year 2019! No help. Just a complete runaround and after already had it checked. The dealership was going to charge me $89.95 to check it out? Decided to take it on myself and here's another thing! To get to the retention pulley had to jack the engine, remove engine bolts and all brackets. Worst design ever! Please don't buy this vehicle. Nothing but serious trouble. All they kept asking, "Did you purchase extended warranty!" Money is all they want after the high cost of the vehicle. Never again!

Original review: May 25, 2019

I bought a Chevy Cruze because aesthetically it was a very nice vehicle. For about the first few months it ran nicely and was quite easy on gas, which I liked. It didn't take long though for me to figure out the vehicle was a piece of junk. Within the first 5 months of owning it, my transmission went bad as well as the output sensor on the transmission. Several of my window motors burnt out. My airbag sensors starting going bad. At the six month mark, my transmission went bad again. Thankfully it was under warranty from its previous fix. Most of my coolant system went bad, with a pricey repair. My air intake went bad and then to top it all off, the transmission died again. Again, still under warranty.

I would NEVER buy a Chevy product again! Quite frankly, after realizing how cheap their new vehicles are made, I'm surprised they can legally get away with selling this overpriced crap. Save yourselves a lot of money and just buy a Toyota or Hyundai. At least they still care about what people are spending their hard earned money on and not just trying to make a quick payday.

Chevy Cruze Company Information