Chevy Corvette

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It is very bad not to have the car for 1 week because we need part. I am not very happy when that happened. It is true that part was not made by Chevy. However they should just dump this copay. I do not have luck with GTR as well at 8500 miles. The car needed an engine replacement. Went to a legal argument with Nissan. The bottom line is that I never had any issue with any 7 BMW that I owned and I should have never change my style. Corvette is comfortable than GTR. Not as powerful and failed at 1900 miles. One more major failure I go to my attorney.

Bought a brand new 2016 Z06 corvette with original 10 miles on the vehicle. Everything is great with the car and enjoyed the vehicle while it was still running. Never took the car to the track because I am not into that. So while enjoying the vehicle and cruising in cruise control at 54 miles an hour, I started hearing a very loud knocking noise. I was close to home and waited until Monday (since this occurred Saturday night) for the dealership to pickup the car. It has been 5 weeks and I still do not have the car in possession. It took them near 5 weeks to replace the lifters, the cam, a lifter rod, and a damaged oil pump portion of the manifold.

Two days ago, they said the car was ready for pickup. It was great seeing the car again. Although I have no personal views I would like to share with the entire experience, but everything will be fine now since I have my car back. Start the car, and check engine light is on. They connect the PC and now it's a 'Super Charger coolant pump' issue. The car is running in limp mode. I looked at the mechanic and service writer and said seriously? I should have purchased a GTR. Still working on this mess with Chevy's Customer Relations but it's going nowhere. Terrible experience and I will be contacting Corporate shortly for better resolution and service. Great looking car, terrible engineering design for basic driving on the road. Sorry, this car is not a track car!

I recently purchased a 98 Corvette coupe in very fine shape. A month went by and today I got a "service column lock" warning. After some research I see that this vehicle had a GM recall some years back, but all that was done was the steering lock device was removed or disabled. So the wheel never locks, but the car will stall at 2MPH because the fuel is shut off thinking the wheel will lock. So I'm getting a $400 quote from Chevrolet to fix this problem. GM needs to step up and stand behind their product and do another recall to fix the problem completely.

My C6 corvette is a lemon. Picked up used at dealership w/ 85k miles. Dealer fixed leaking rear differential axle. About a month later, I did not see harmonic dampener was bad--they charged me 1k to replace it. Driverside door handle stopped working. AC drain got clogged, water remained in dash and floorboard. Bad smell from mold and condenser bacteria upon using AC. Oil pump went out at 105k miles. Driver side window motor/regulator stopped working at 108k miles. Soon afterwards FOB not detected was turned into dealership to do fog light recall. Lifters went bad at 113k miles. This car is the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. I'm trying to fix lifters so I can sell or trade in ASAP. GM has no business selling cars. The gov't should never have bailed them out only to have execs take all the loot and sell cars like this one. I WILL NEVER BUY GM.

The crank shaft balancer on my 2005 Corvette needed replacement. After replacement I filled out the appropriate reimbursement forms from General Motors. I received a phone call from General Motors on August 08, 2015 notifying me their denial of my reimbursement request. A car with 25,000 miles should not need the balancer replaced. I have had many cars some with over 100,000 miles and have never needed this part replaced. There are many internet forums discussing this issue on this car. Everyone except General Motors seems to acknowledge this is a problem with this car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

C7 Z06 - I loved my car until it hit 6000 km (3800 miles) then the mechanical issues started. At 108 km/h (60 mph), a chugging, like driving a really old manual track, occurring on the highway. Took it to the dealer and then they reprogrammed it. Now the new problems. Now it vibrates at 86 km/h (54 mph). It vibrates in the rear driver wheel, in the floor and thru the steering wheel. Dealer has no idea, did a oscilloscope and sent to GM. GM Engineers have no idea and I am at the point of returning to dealer for buyback or driving it thru the showroom.

Keyless entry system on my 2006 Corvette caused me to be trapped in the car. I went into my garage at home late at night to start the car hoping to prevent the battery from going dead again. I was in the drivers seat with the key FOB. The battery went dead and I couldn't unlock the doors or lower the window. Thank God I happened to have had my cell phone in my pocket and had left the trunk open. I had to call someone to find and pull the manual door release which is hidden in the trunk. If I hadn't had my phone, this could have been a very dangerous situation due to weather. To add insult to near injury, I later signed up for Onstar and they wouldn't send anyone to jump the car before a 24-48 hour waiting period. I'm so not impressed with the design/ engineering validation, but even more alarmed at the lack of common sense or caring at Onstar.

Have had the vehicle for about 2 weeks now. Other than a few little burps with the dealer (a used car dealership in Louisville selling only "high end' vehicles), it's been a pretty good experience. A couple of things I have found out about 2008 model corvettes thus far: The glove box handle is very fragile and breaks easily. Mine was broken just prior to me driving off the lot. The dealer paid for the replacement and there were no problems. But that handle sure is cheap.

The gear shifter is sometimes difficult to move out of park. It sometimes takes a few minutes to get it to actually activate, but it eventually works. I have read on the internet that this is a HUGE problem for this particular model. It has to do with a plastic safety latch in the console where the shifter is located. Typical repair cost is a little less than 1000.00. I will wait until it completely goes out before I pay that. Car is a real head turner and I've gotten more compliments than you could imagine. Idling at a stop light will start a conversation with the person in the next lane. Unbelievable!

Purchased this car (2004 Corvette Z06) new back in November of '03. Now have 70,000 miles on it. Don't plan on getting rid of it so that must mean I like it (lol). Have had a couple of headaches with it, however. The differential had a whine in it from day one - dealership replaced it with one that was shipped from another dealership in a box that appeared to have gone thru hell and half of Georgia (no offense to the great state of Georgia). This differential (we'll call it diff # 2) leaked oil from the right side. Dealer replaced output seal on right side, but leak was still there. Now in my old age I don't get as upset as say, I did when I was in my twenties, but at this point I was getting rather ticked. In a state of (well I'll show you), I told the dealer to order me a new differential (diff # 3) and I would pay for it myself, which we did.

They did give me a good discount - as I recall about $1000.00 compared to $1500.00 regular retail. Dealer/GM did install it on their dime. Diff # 3 is a good one except for occasional positraction clutch chatter, which is inherently normal in the C-5s. As it seems about everyone knows now that changing the gear oil occasionally helps this situation. Incidentally I got to keep diff # 2.

I'll never again buy from chevy..I had a 97 vette with 110000 miles on it having problems of it shutting off going down highway.. Spent 3 days at a dealership but they couldn't figure it out but finally started and after replacing distributor, plugs and other stuff I left and 5 miles down the road it shut off again..They replaced coil, ignition sensor etc and ran fine.. Went on vacation. Put about 4000 miles on it and got back home and a few days later bam it shut off again.. Took it to local chevy dealer and ended up trading it in for a 2004 vette.. Great car. Never broke down. Took it on vac. The next year took it in for service and they overinflated my tires etc and they're a chevy dealer that supposed to have highly trained mechanics..

Well after that I started taking it to jiffy lube and they're great plus cheaper.. Anyway I got rid of it due to medical reasons and was wanting a newer one but after reading about all the problems with blowing engines and torque tubes failing along with numerous other problems I'm going to get a hellcat or gtr.. The corvette I thought was an awesome sportscar.. Why spend 85000 on one brand new just to have it break down with 1000 miles on it sitting on the shoulder having everyone passing you on the freeway laughing at you.. I was wondering why there's so many 2014 z51 vettes back at the dealership used with anywhere from 581-1800 miles on them... Now I know why... Junk...

I purchased a 2005 Corvette in 2012 with 26K on it. The harmonic balancer started to wobble shortly after I bought it. Luckily I had a warranty for 90 days so the dealer I purchased the car from paid for the job, except I put an ATI super damper in that I paid for and sold the Chevrolet replacement. Other than the wobble and the oxidized light lenses that I wet sanded clear again, I love my vette. No other issues.

I have a 2013 grand sport that is difficult to steer on rough roads and pulls to the left on straight highway. If the car has to make a hard right or left turn, I hear a rubbing sound and the car rocks through the turn. I have had the front end aligned several times by the dealer but the alignment does not hold.

I have about 47000 miles on my 2006 Corvette. The harmonic balancer needs to be replaced due to wobbling. I have had many cars before and have run them up to 130k miles but never had such a problem. Reading other people's complaints about the same issue, it seems that GM has a systematic problem with the balancer.

I have a 2005 C6 Corvette with approximately 63,*** miles on it. It recently has encountered an issue with the steering column lock which will not allow you to start the car. When it would start and run the belts started to chirp. That's when I noticed the Harmonic Balancer wobbling. After researching on the internet I found these are both very common issues on the 2005 C6 Corvette. There are also Recalls on both issues for certain VINs however I am told my VIN is not listed as the recall so Chevy will not fix it under the recall. If I want it fixed I must pay to have them fixed. The quoted price to repair is about $1,000 for each item.

C5 Corvettes (one of which I also used to own) had the same issue with the steering column lock. They did have Recalls on them however never really came up with a complete fix until they finally began just removing the column lock system altogether. I have went to my local dealer and chatted with a Chevy Representative about my concerns and received the same answer from both. My VIN is not listed in the recall so they will not fix it unless I pay for it. You can search these issues and find an unlimited amount of information about the failure of these systems on the C6 Corvette (the steering column lock is a 2005 year only issue, because on the 2006 model they finally changed the column lock system). I would not recommend The Corvette or Chevy to anyone until they begin to treat their customers fairly.

I have worked my entire life and waited to have a car like the Corvette. When I finally found one that seemed like it was in great condition this past April, I jumped at the chance to buy it. It is a 2005 C6 Corvette in LeMans Blue. I loved it, but...I have had to have the harmonic pulley replaced, the door sensors, the lenses covering the lights are cracking on the inside (replacing the whole unit is over $1,000 a side) and NOW the low beams will not work. GM has not processed the recall so guess who will have to pay for the repair.

It is very sad to me that GM cannot seem to get it together on such a nice car. I don't understand how foreign manufacturers never seem to have these issues with their cars and by the way I have a Honda and a Toyota and have zero issues with both of them. I really, really wish I could say the same about GM products. I really want to keep the car, but now I am worried about what is going to go wrong next. So I will probably sell it after the light problem is solved. So sad and disappointed with my Corvette experience.

2003 z06 corvette - Had a problem about 2 years ago with the steering column wiring harness; it was a call back so GM took care of that. 6 months ago had a problem with the column lock causing the car to stall when put in gear. Cost me $600 to have this repaired; GM would not do anything since car is out of warranty. Just the other day the display came on indicating "steering column lock". What's going on with GM??

Every time there is some rain, the headlamp assembly fogs up badly. Both have been replaced in the past but now that the car is out of warranty and this is an on-going thing, I been charged over $1,300.00 to replace the headlamp assembly.

We purchased a used 2006 Corvette with 32,000 "one owner" miles from a local Chevrolet dealer here in SE Pennsylvania. It was "Certified" with a 90 day/3,000 mile warranty. 108 days into ownership (922 miles) the Harmonic balancer (Damper) started squealing and upon further inspection, it was wobbling on the crankshaft. The dealer has agreed to cover the labor but we are out over $650 in parts due to what appears to be a widespread defect with C6 Corvettes.

We seen numerous internet postings about this common issue and we are extremely disappointed that Chevrolet Customer Service basically told us that there is "no active recall" for this issue and therefore "Chevrolet will not participate in covering repairs outside of the stated new vehicle warranty”. This isn't a low end vehicle within GM and even certified pre-owned it was extremely expensive. Very disappointed in Chevrolet/GM and now we are scared to death about what may be lurking around the corner with our 2014 C7 Corvette too.

Bought the 2005 C6 in towards the end of 2013 with 25,000 miles on it hoping to have a decent Vette. It sat through a tough winter in the garage not getting much use because of the weather. Took it to the first show of 2014 with the club I belong to. At the end of the day getting ready to leave, I started he car and all I heard was a very loud chirping noise coming from the engine bay. The guys I was with also heard the noise and came over to take a look. I opened the engine compartment and as I look at the belts I could see the balancer wobbling up and down.

I took my car to my mechanic and had it diagnosed. He said it look like the harmonic balancer went bad. My Mechanic told me to check with Chevy and see if there were any recalls. I contacted the Chevy dealer and they advised me that my VIN# did not show any current recalls but had some for certain VIN# in my model year. I asked them for a estimated price for repair and was told between $1100.00 and $1500.00 depending on how it turned out. I don't understand. If there was a recall for this issue on some cars during my model year and a lot of people are still having issues, why won't Chevy they stand behind their product? This is supposed to be the top of the line car for Chevy. When Chevy was in trouble, the country people's taxes stood behind them and gave them the help they needed to survive.

It all began with a low squeak in the engine compartment and I just replaced the belt tensioner & belts and now the harmonic balancer wobbles. Easier terms, there is a wobble from the crankshaft pulley. Even though it is out of warranty, I called Chevy (national) customer service and I am waiting for a diagnostic appointment at my local dealer in Yonkers, NY. I was told if the part is faulty that they would help with the cost because of the low miles. I have to pay for the appointment, but if they do the work, they will deduct it from the repair cost. This job is about $1300.00 so I am hoping for some help from Chevy.

But I have been reading about this problem with the 2006 base Corvette on the internet. It is a big problem with the '05 and '06 Vettes. Many people report that after they have had the job done at their Chevy dealer and the problem starts over again in a few months. I checked to see if there was a recall for this problem on the '06 Vettes and there was but not with my vin number. I will keep you informed on how I make out at the dealer and with the Chevy customer service rep who was very nice so far!!!

I have had problems with a vibration and noise in the drivetrain of my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport for the last 6 months. In August, I took my car to U J Chevrolet in Mobile, AL for repair. Ten days later, I picked up my car and was told the Torque Tube bearings needed to be replaced (less than 10,000 miles on car). The noise/vibration returned in October. Another 10 days later, I was told that the entire Torque Tube assembly was replaced.

On January 2, I returned my car to the dealer with another noise issue and was told again that the Torque Tube needed to be replaced. My car is still in the shop and will probably be there until mid-next week (14 days). What the heck is going on? Why can this problem not be fixed? This is not what I expected from a $70,000 flagship auto from GM. I have purchased 5 GM products in the last 7 years. I am very disappointed in Corvettes and GM dealer service! I have a 2005 Tahoe with 130,000 miles with no problems. One extreme to the other! Unless this current problem can be addressed with a satisfactory resolution, I am through with GM products and GM dealers!

I own a 2004 Corvette with 14,000 miles with a "service active handling system" warning indicated. A recall was issued for 2005-2006 Corvettes built between 3/2004 and 1/2006 with the N37 tilt and telescopic steering column. My car build date is 4/6/2004 with this option. General Motors refuses to check into this issue. Their customer service is outsourced to Argentina, resulting in a severe language accent problem in understanding them. The part in question is not exposed and becomes worn as the steering column is moved, which I do every time I drive. I would like an understanding that my problem is a result of this recall and GM will pay to fix my car. However, Chevrolet will have to prove to me that this problem resulted from something else I did to cause the steering to lock up. This N37 was not an option - to my knowledge, it was standard.

I currently own a 2005 C6 Corvette with 46,000 miles. I purchased the vehicle used in 2008. At the time of my purchase, the vehicle had 32,000 miles. About 12 months ago, I began to notice a squeak that I thought was the idler pulley bearings. I purchased a spray lubricant and applied this product around the idler pulley bearings and the squeaking stopped only for a few minutes. The vehicle continues to make a squeaking sound during start up and continue to squeak. After taking my vehicle into the shop on April 6, 2012 for a replacement battery at National Tire and Brakes, located in Fredericksburg, VA, I asked the repairman to check the squeak. I advised the repairman that I believed was the idler pulley. The repairman diagnosed the problem and advised me that the harmonica balancer needs replacing. The repairman showed me with the engine running how badly the harmonica balancer was wobbling, causing the idler pulley bearings to squeak.

The repairman went online to search for recall for the replacement of the harmonica balancer for the 2005 C6 Corvettes. It was reported that some 2005 and 2006 were recalled due to the harmonica balancer being bad (wobbles), but reported that he didn't see a recall for my particular VIN **. I've searched the internet and found several discussions and complaints relating to the C6 Corvettes harmonica balancers being recalled. After checking with my local Chevrolet dealer service department, I was informed that my particular C6 Corvette did not show having a recall based on the VIN, but they have received complaints about some C6 Corvettes models having problems with the harmonica balancers. I asked for a repair estimate and was told that the repairs would cost around $1,100 to replace the balancer and that this was an approximately seven-hour job and they would need me to plan to leave the vehicle for two days.

Based on the number of complaints and the fact that some C6 Corvette models with certain VIN series were covered on the recall, I am respectfully requesting that the cost associated with the replacement of the harmonic balancer be covered under the recall warranty. Please consider the above information and the history of the claims and recalls for this particular model vehicle. Thank you in advance.

I have stopped counting the number of repair attempts on my 2008 Corvette, which is still under the manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty since it was bought in summer 2009. I believe it has been in different shops for about 10 times now. Two dealerships are now refusing to work on the car, even if the problems are still there: grinding noise at deceleration after the car heats up and banging noise in stop and go traffic (sounds like a bad transmission mount). All the technicians who went with me on a test drive agreed that the noises were not normal and that there was something wrong with the car.

Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ told me several times that "we have to get engineering involved." And the only involvement of the regional engineer was "put different tires onto the car." Also, he never heard the noise and never went for a test drive in it. Finally, Van Chevrolet's service director, Mr. ** told me "There is nothing wrong with the car. Some Corvettes develop a grinding and banging noise after they heat up; others don't. Nothing we can do for you." I have contacted Chevrolet's Customer Assistance Center, but they have not done anything about it other than opening a case.

Today, I went to a different dealership, and their shop foreman confirmed that the grinding and banging noises are not normal. Hopefully, this dealership will be able to diagnose and repair the problem. I also know about another guy with exactly the same car and exactly the same problem. He gave me his VIN, but GM does not want to hear about it or look into that car's service history.

I believe that they have a stack of complaints about the same issue on file and are afraid of a class action. I am under the impression that their engineering department knows what it is and tries to ** customers who complained instead of repairing their cars. It is strange that they are not making any serious attempts to analyze the problem. Corvette is one of their top-of-the-line products, and they should be proud of it. Ignoring complaints about grinding and banging noises and telling customers that there is nothing wrong with the car are like as if they were saying "We know that our products are junk."

11-23-07, the remote start was intermittently inoperable. Last 10-14-08, when braking vehicle has pulsation in front, 7-1-10 purchased new set of tire, 46,388 mile on car (85,000 warranty on tires), 7-10-10, replaced muffler, seam split. 11-18-10, heavy engine repair, head gasket leak (52284 miles on car). 3-11-08, rust specks on the complete vehicle. 2-1-11 transmission repair replaced piston & resealed input clutch housing, (54756 miles on car). On 2-10-12, I purchased another set of tires, 72,820 miles on car (85,000 mile warranty- tires wore bar on inside of 4 tires- outside of tire had good tread...there was 58568 miles left on tire warranty... too many repairs for a new car- lemon.

My 2005 Corvette headlights have cracks in both lens. The cracks are like spider cracks all over the lens. The lens cannot be replaced, the whole headlight assembly has to be replaced at a cost of $2000.00. This has happened to many of Corvette owners. Is there anything GM can do to help me fix this without spending $2000.00? Not being able to replace just the lens is crazy. Why would GM do that? I'm a longtime many Corvettes owner but cannot afford $2000.00 just to make the car look nice at car shows. I need help. Thanks.

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette that I purchased in 2007 with 13,000 miles. I was deployed to Iraq in 2008 and the car was garaged kept at my residence. When I returned in December 2008, I began having problems starting the car. I continued to get ‘Service Column Lock’. I replaced the battery in January 2009. I was subsequently assigned to Atlanta, GA and was deployed to Kuwait and Afghanistan. Once again, I kept the vehicle in my garage. I now have 17,000 miles on the vehicle. The Corvette would not start at all. I took the Corvette to Susan Schein Chevrolet in Alabaster, AL in June 2010.

The service representative, Peggy, initially stated that it was the battery and suggested that I return the battery where I purchased it and will receive a pro-rated amount for it. I stated that I would not do that and asked them to determine if the battery was defective and if so, they should replace it so that if there were problems in the future, I would deal with them. The next day, Peggy called me and stated that the problem was determined to be the defective column lock module. After several weeks, I still do not have my car back. It is still at the dealer waiting for the part. It has now been nearly 3 months.

On September 4, 2010, I contacted Chevrolet to complain about the lack of concern with the service of my vehicle. I spoke with Brooke at the Chevrolet Complaint Department. She stated that I would receive a call within 24 hours. I waited until September 7 to call back. I was referred to the GM District Office where an agent by the name of Lizzy would be handling the case. I did not hear from Lizzy so I called GM on September 13. I was told that my case was now being handled by Estelle and left a message on her voice mail to please return my call. I called again on September 14 and left another message to return my call.

I called back to GM in an attempt to speak with someone in management and spoke with a customer service representative by the name of Calvin. Calvin would not give me a manager and only stated that he would make sure that Estelle received my message and would return my call within 24 hours. It is now September 15 and I have not yet contacted by anyone from GM about my concerns. I will not stop contacting GM until I am able to speak to someone with responsibility enough to contact me and resolve my problem even if it is the CEO himself. Heck, President Obama if necessary since the US Government owns a majority of shares in GM. It just goes to show that even GM is acting like Government Motors.

I had an issue with rear end noise on my 2006 C6 Corvette. A lady (Customer Service Rep) named Amelia at ext.** was assigned to assist me with my issue.

This person was not helpful at all. Every time she call and left message and only spoke to me once or twice. I called and left here several messages. Which she eventually returned several weeks after the fact. I also love the way this issue ended. Amelia left me a message saying something like... Herb **, Chevy didn't see a problem with your rear end. If you have anymore problems bring it back to Herb **. (Laugh out loud)

I still had the problem...why would I bring it back to the dealership that didn't see any problem? Needless to say, I finally got the issue fix on my own with no help from GM. After several changing of the rear end fluid and doing the proper figure 8's after the fluid changes, which I don't believe the dealership was doing, Its corrected.

My point is your customer service rep was not help at all. I know they are busy and have many issues to handle. But not returning calls when she states a date. And not responding to message left by the consumer is just bad business. This experience has me thinking whether I would buy a GM product in the future. No need to contact me. My issue is resolve. Your issue is to fix your customer service to GM Consumers.

I purchased a GM-certified pre-owned 2004 Corvette Z06 with the 12/12 bumper-bumper warranty. Soon after purchasing, while washing the car, I found that water would leak into passenger side foot well area. I took it into a local Chevrolet dealer--they and GM customer service both initially confirmed that the car was still covered by bumper-bumper warranty until June 2010 or 65K miles (car has 60K).

I got a call back from the dealer telling me that water leaks, seals and various other parts are not covered by the GM "bumper-bumper" warranty and got stuck with a $1,500 repair bill for a factory defect. Meanwhile, "GM-certified" states: "GM means no worries"; "Bumper-bumper means everything in between is covered." This is completely false.

I think that they mean between your bumper and the next car's bumper. What a sham. This is on the Corvette Z06 too, where water leaks are somewhat common. A shame on how they still treat their customers. And President Obama told us that the GM warranty was better than ever. Everyone should know that GM warranties cannot be trusted. I posted my story on the website and was subsequently banned from that site for posting my story (and story may have gotten deleted). At least, Toyota takes responsibility and still has a real bumper-bumper warranty.

I purchased a used 2006 C6 Corvette back in July 09 with a one-year GM certification. The corvette has a rear end issue (Binding/Grinding) when making turns forward or backwards. The selling dealership had the differential fluid change. The car sounded fine for about a month. The issue returned. I took the car back to a local Chevy dealership a second time. They changed the differential fluid again, the car sounded fine for about 2 weeks, then the issue returned again. I took it back to the dealership a third time. They kept my car for over 3 weeks. They finally changed the disc kit, seal and fluid. I picked up my car on 14 January 2010. The problem returned on 19 January 2010.

I do not drive the car daily. It currently has 15,800 miles on it. I have put less than 2,000 miles on the vehicle since purchasing it. I am very dissatisfied with this GM vehicle. For the price of a corvette, even a used corvette, you would expect much better quality. I have made several attempts to correct this issue. The local GM dealership didn’t even have anyone with the knowledge of C6 rear ends. These were the word directly from the mechanics mouth that worked on my vehicle. So this is my final effort to get this issue corrected. All I want is a Corvette that runs properly with a rear end that doesn’t bind/grind when making turns.

Chevy Corvette Company Profile