Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
2.20/5
Based on 40 reviews that contain star ratings

Chevy Corvette

The Chevrolet Corvette is an iconic sports car that was first introduced in 1953. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

45 Chevy Corvette Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I bought a used 2014 Z51 3LT, with only 14,000 miles on it. Yes, it was "as is" condition, and I bought the car at night and was raining, however, the dash should NOT be in this bad of shape no matter WHAT condition the car was in. First I tried the dealership, and basically said nothing they can do, as I bought the car in as in condition. Then tried GM, and told me the same thing. I asked 3 times JUST to at least let me send pictures and judge for yourself. If you can agree this should not be worn this bad with only 14,000 mile and 4 yrs old.

The dash look like it's 20 years old. GM said Nope, do not want to see the pics and will do NOTHING to help... Not even a discount!!! Do not want for free, but due to the age of the car, at least a discount! Again, this is an 3LT with all options. VERY disappointed with GM, and shows they do NOT care about quality of their cars!!! See pics and you tell me if you agree.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Transmission went out right at 5000 miles and nobody cares. The Chevrolet dealership in Murfreesboro Tennessee Buick and GM and Murfreesboro Tennessee convince the water department that they don't ever give new transmission. I got five thousand miles on this Corvette and they're going to rebuild it. It'll never be right. I'm screwed. I promise you I never buy another one. No will ever buy affordable Chevrolet. That's it.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 21, 2018

New Chevrolet Corvette is an excellent piece of fiberglass as far as an attention getter, cop stopper, and insurance Money Pit but it sure did make me feel good at over a hundred miles an hour. Who cares what you look like not anyone can see you anyways. All they see are smoke Trails, dust clouds, and a fast moving blur of bright red paint.

I enjoyed the comfort and of course the speed along with the handling ability, the notoriety and the thrill of the chase. The interchangeable moon roofs as a 10 disc CD changer weren't too bad either considering the sound system was stock option Bose the best that they make not to mention my in dash control panels that make you feel as if you are sitting in the cockpit of a 747 or a Learjet. However wasn't fast enough to require the parachute option only major disappointment as to the fact that later on in discovering that I could have got a Mitsubishi which had one.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have a 2017 Chev. Corvette with RED LEATHER SEATS. The seat will fade on your clothing. I had about 4000 mile. One day when it was raining I had on tan pants when that happen. The seat faded on clothing.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I have had nothing but problems after problems with my Corvette (2007 Z06). First, I would like to say that this is my daily driven car. It is all stock, I don't race or drive the car like a maniac and I take good care of it. I bought the car GM certified if that means anything. I bought the car with 3k miles in 2010 and now it has over 147k miles. This is a quick list of repairs: had the engine replaced. Had the transmission replaced. Replaced rear drive side wheel arm pulley. Had the clutch and plate replaced. Replaced the radiator. Replaced water pump. Replaced air compressor and hose assembly. Replaced key fob twice. Replaced thermostat

I need to replace the driver side window regulator. I need to replace the drive mirror due to oxidation. Need to replace both headlights due to discolored. I can't remember the rest. I don't believe these vehicle are well built. I would not even dare trying to modifying the vehicle to gain more horsepower such as replacing the cams, changing exhaust system or adding a turbo. All the money I spent on this vehicle, I could have purchased a Ferrari.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Corvette?

Original review: May 6, 2018

I bought my 2007 Z51 Corvette with 80k miles on it, the dealer wanted to detail it, I said ok and when it was ready the engine was squeaking like the belt was loose, I thought armor all was sprayed on it or water however neither was used, the detail was a drive through their automated car wash, I drove it to a town 45 miles away and back, still squeaked. I bought belt dressing which worked about a day but it still was audible.

I checked the belt and tensioner. They seemed ok, I googled it and saw hundreds of identical issues over the last decade! Some cars being involved in a recall however Chevrolet apparently is weaseling out on everybody, I hardly drive the car which makes it worse and I saw the balancer was wobbling, 2,000 miles on the car and it still squeaks, it's embarrassing! And about $1,000 to repair.

I have a 2001 Suburban with the 5.3 litre (327 ci) LSX motor which is identical but the bore x stroke, my Suburban has over 270,000 miles on it and has the same balancer it came with! I had a GTO with the 5.7 then another with the 6.0 LSX motor and they are ok and have no propensity to go bad as the Corvettes do, it makes you wonder why? Another thing is the GTO's which are Australian Holden's, a GM owned company had the most comfortable interior with wonderful seats and placement and superior materials over any Chevrolet interiors even to this day. The Corvette is hard to enter and exit and it seems that should you crash or go in water you might be stuck inside it very easily!

Original review: May 2, 2018

2017 Corvette Z06 is very comfortable, has many options to play with, has more power than anyone will need. It handles great around turns, has an awesome sound system and it's a beautiful car. This is our third Corvette. We've loved all of them, but this is our favorite. It's extremely advanced and since it has 650 horsepower, we don't care about the gas mileage.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Chevrolet Corvette is worth every dime. Fabulous to drive and handles do well. Rides very smooth for a sports car and shifts so smooth you hardly feel it. It is beautiful design.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe. I have been so proud of my vehicle when I first bought it. But less than 800 miles the vehicle started having problems. 1st the alternator went out and had to be replaced. Then not knowing the car should have had a four tire balance and realignment, the tires that came on the Vehicle. Became rounded. Causing for a bad vibration in it, so more or less the tires became cupped. The rear end had become noisy and the dealership would change the oil in it, That would last until the internal oil got warm and it still has a hum in it. Next 52,000 miles on it. The shifter became harder to shift and then got stuck in neutral and drive.

The car developed some problems in the past year like getting harder and harder to get out of park. From the beginning of the purchase the indicator for the shifter was and has been very warm and I wrote that in a review a couple of times when a survey was sent to me to explain any problems in the car. So my thoughts are that the heat finally got to some of the parts that were and are made of plastic and made this malfunction happen. This mistake now is costing me over $1,000.00 to fix. Bad part about this is that I am on a fixed income as a disabled vet. Cable Dahmer in Kansas City is fixing it today.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Called Sierra Chevrolet where I bought my Corvette (2015 Stingray with 12,000 miles) and was told it would be at least two weeks before they could get me into service. Called back after two weeks and was told it's now six weeks. I ask what I was to drive for the next six weeks and they said they didn't know, "But we can't give you a loaner for six weeks." This is possibly the worst GM Dealer in the world. I also had a 2015 GMC Denali which they could not fix and I traded for a new Lincoln. If my Corvette ran I would trade for a new BMW today.

Original review: May 4, 2017

My Corvette C6 has only 30,000 miles. 115# female single, only driver. The driver's back by the airbag has a pointy metal sticking out. At the side it has rubbed off the "faux leather". Stitching is coming undone at the bottom. My greatest concern is the potential malfunction or no function of the safety airbag. I spoke with GM. I was referred to Burien Chevrolet (place I purchased Corvette off the showroom floor). Burien Chevrolet said the cost to repair would be 1,600 dollars. GM said they would pay $600.00 towards the bill. I am incensed, I feel it is a defect from the factory; and they should pay for the repair or replacement of entire backseat.

Parts Dept at other Chevrolet dealer gave me a detailed quote of what needed to be done. The cost there $2.004.33. As of today I have not received a quote from Burien Chevrolet; just the amount. I asked for a detailed quote. So far nothing. Since 1984 I have owned Corvettes. Some I kept for several years, All had wonderful interiors. My present Corvette is so badly made. I would call it a shoddy interior with cheap materials. I want GM to replace the backseat at no charge to me.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

I bought a new 2016 Corvette, and soon after experienced transmission issues. I took my car to the dealer Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson, Texas and dropped it off on a Saturday. I did not expect a call back from the dealer being that it was the weekend. The following Tuesday afternoon I called to get a status since no communication has been given to me by the dealer since I dropped it off. I was told that there was a problem with the transmission flex plate. A few days later Reliable Chevrolet told me the problem was fixed. A few days went by and as I pulled on to my home street the Automatic transmission would not go out of third gear. Luckily I was at my driveway when this occurred.

As I pulled half way up my driveway the car completed shutoff. I placed it in park and push the start button and started smelling burnt wires. I called a tow truck and had it towed to Dealer James Wood Chevrolet in Denton, TX. After looking at the car James Wood Chevrolet stated that the car needs to go to Reliable Chevrolet because they did not want to repair it. The car was then towed to Reliable Chevrolet. A few weeks go by and Reliable Chevrolet tells me that it needs new Cam bearings and crank. Parts will have to be ordered and it will be repaired. I am told on Monday 12/19/19 that the repairs should be completed by Friday 12/23/16.

I stopped at Reliable Chevrolet on Thursday 12/22/16 to see how the repairs are going, and see my car still in pieces. The Engine is out of the car and completely torn apart. The transmission, torque tube, are also out of the car. I am then told that it needs a new engine by the service manager. Car has less than 7K miles on it. I asked what is causing the problem and he has no answer for me. At this point I have had enough and went and spoke to the General Sales Manager again who handles all complaints for this dealer. He stated that I was not given a call back earlier in the week because I gave them a bad customer service survey. There is so much more to this that I could run out of characters for this post. Bottom line is I have a defective 2016 Corvette Stingray and everyone is giving me the run around from the dealer to corporate. This is far from over.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

2015 Corvette Stingray Coupe W/Z51. My 2015 Corvette had A/C compressor leak oil in at about 4k miles. Had the Idler pulley link oil and broken in less than 9k miles. These were replaced within warranty. I found in the last month at about 8k miles the large woo noise from under the center console at the stop, a little clinking noise when accelerating around 30-40 miles.

The dealer had no idea how to fix the two noises. I called Corvette customer service and they set up my case and contacted the dealer. The dealer had my car in again for two days and gave me their final diagnosis: The clinking noise was from the valve. It could be due to some gas station's octane content more than listed; the console noise was there even in the new car. They let me start a new automatic shift car like mine. I did hear the noise, but in the lower pitch and was not very obvious to me. With these, the dealer turned in the key back to me saying they didn't think it make sense to take apart the transmission and couldn't eliminate the noise. This gives me a sense I have to live with the noises once I had purchased this Corvette.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

I love the Chevy Corvette. I plan to drive one as long as I'm driving a car. I don't think there is a better vehicle for me and everyone I know that drives one absolutely loves it. So I was surprised when I saw the ratings on this site. But then I started reading the reviews... In all but two poor reviews the complaints had nothing to do with the car or the manufacturer but rather user error or responsibility. If the engine is knocking you are not putting the right octane gas in it. Use premium. Read the owners manual. A used car with 85,000 on it does not constitute a lemon. That's actually quite a few miles on a used car and you have no idea how the person before you drove it. How do you drive it? See what I mean?

If you get locked into your Corvette because the fob or battery is dead and you know about the emergency releases in the trunk, how do you not know about the ones that are right there next to you in the seat on the floorboard? Everyone I know loves their Corvette. It's a thrill to drive every time I get behind the wheel and I am complimented on it constantly. It has outperformed every other vehicle type (trust me, I don't need to elaborate) and I know several Mustang and Camaro drivers who are switching over. I highly recommend it!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

It is very bad not to have the car for 1 week because we need part. I am not very happy when that happened. It is true that part was not made by Chevy. However they should just dump this copay. I do not have luck with GTR as well at 8500 miles. The car needed an engine replacement. Went to a legal argument with Nissan. The bottom line is that I never had any issue with any 7 BMW that I owned and I should have never change my style. Corvette is comfortable than GTR. Not as powerful and failed at 1900 miles. One more major failure I go to my attorney.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

Bought a brand new 2016 Z06 corvette with original 10 miles on the vehicle. Everything is great with the car and enjoyed the vehicle while it was still running. Never took the car to the track because I am not into that. So while enjoying the vehicle and cruising in cruise control at 54 miles an hour, I started hearing a very loud knocking noise. I was close to home and waited until Monday (since this occurred Saturday night) for the dealership to pickup the car. It has been 5 weeks and I still do not have the car in possession. It took them near 5 weeks to replace the lifters, the cam, a lifter rod, and a damaged oil pump portion of the manifold.

Two days ago, they said the car was ready for pickup. It was great seeing the car again. Although I have no personal views I would like to share with the entire experience, but everything will be fine now since I have my car back. Start the car, and check engine light is on. They connect the PC and now it's a 'Super Charger coolant pump' issue. The car is running in limp mode. I looked at the mechanic and service writer and said seriously? I should have purchased a GTR. Still working on this mess with Chevy's Customer Relations but it's going nowhere. Terrible experience and I will be contacting Corporate shortly for better resolution and service. Great looking car, terrible engineering design for basic driving on the road. Sorry, this car is not a track car!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I recently purchased a 98 Corvette coupe in very fine shape. A month went by and today I got a "service column lock" warning. After some research I see that this vehicle had a GM recall some years back, but all that was done was the steering lock device was removed or disabled. So the wheel never locks, but the car will stall at 2MPH because the fuel is shut off thinking the wheel will lock. So I'm getting a $400 quote from Chevrolet to fix this problem. GM needs to step up and stand behind their product and do another recall to fix the problem completely.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2015

My C6 corvette is a lemon. Picked up used at dealership w/ 85k miles. Dealer fixed leaking rear differential axle. About a month later, I did not see harmonic dampener was bad--they charged me 1k to replace it. Driverside door handle stopped working. AC drain got clogged, water remained in dash and floorboard. Bad smell from mold and condenser bacteria upon using AC. Oil pump went out at 105k miles. Driver side window motor/regulator stopped working at 108k miles. Soon afterwards FOB not detected was turned into dealership to do fog light recall. Lifters went bad at 113k miles. This car is the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. I'm trying to fix lifters so I can sell or trade in ASAP. GM has no business selling cars. The gov't should never have bailed them out only to have execs take all the loot and sell cars like this one. I WILL NEVER BUY GM.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2015

The crank shaft balancer on my 2005 Corvette needed replacement. After replacement I filled out the appropriate reimbursement forms from General Motors. I received a phone call from General Motors on August 08, 2015 notifying me their denial of my reimbursement request. A car with 25,000 miles should not need the balancer replaced. I have had many cars some with over 100,000 miles and have never needed this part replaced. There are many internet forums discussing this issue on this car. Everyone except General Motors seems to acknowledge this is a problem with this car.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

C7 Z06 - I loved my car until it hit 6000 km (3800 miles) then the mechanical issues started. At 108 km/h (60 mph), a chugging, like driving a really old manual track, occurring on the highway. Took it to the dealer and then they reprogrammed it. Now the new problems. Now it vibrates at 86 km/h (54 mph). It vibrates in the rear driver wheel, in the floor and thru the steering wheel. Dealer has no idea, did a oscilloscope and sent to GM. GM Engineers have no idea and I am at the point of returning to dealer for buyback or driving it thru the showroom.

Original review: June 10, 2015

Keyless entry system on my 2006 Corvette caused me to be trapped in the car. I went into my garage at home late at night to start the car hoping to prevent the battery from going dead again. I was in the drivers seat with the key FOB. The battery went dead and I couldn't unlock the doors or lower the window. Thank God I happened to have had my cell phone in my pocket and had left the trunk open. I had to call someone to find and pull the manual door release which is hidden in the trunk. If I hadn't had my phone, this could have been a very dangerous situation due to weather. To add insult to near injury, I later signed up for Onstar and they wouldn't send anyone to jump the car before a 24-48 hour waiting period. I'm so not impressed with the design/ engineering validation, but even more alarmed at the lack of common sense or caring at Onstar.

Original review: June 2, 2015

Have had the vehicle for about 2 weeks now. Other than a few little burps with the dealer (a used car dealership in Louisville selling only "high end' vehicles), it's been a pretty good experience. A couple of things I have found out about 2008 model corvettes thus far: The glove box handle is very fragile and breaks easily. Mine was broken just prior to me driving off the lot. The dealer paid for the replacement and there were no problems. But that handle sure is cheap.

The gear shifter is sometimes difficult to move out of park. It sometimes takes a few minutes to get it to actually activate, but it eventually works. I have read on the internet that this is a HUGE problem for this particular model. It has to do with a plastic safety latch in the console where the shifter is located. Typical repair cost is a little less than 1000.00. I will wait until it completely goes out before I pay that. Car is a real head turner and I've gotten more compliments than you could imagine. Idling at a stop light will start a conversation with the person in the next lane. Unbelievable!

Original review: May 11, 2015

Purchased this car (2004 Corvette Z06) new back in November of '03. Now have 70,000 miles on it. Don't plan on getting rid of it so that must mean I like it (lol). Have had a couple of headaches with it, however. The differential had a whine in it from day one - dealership replaced it with one that was shipped from another dealership in a box that appeared to have gone thru hell and half of Georgia (no offense to the great state of Georgia). This differential (we'll call it diff # 2) leaked oil from the right side. Dealer replaced output seal on right side, but leak was still there. Now in my old age I don't get as upset as say, I did when I was in my twenties, but at this point I was getting rather ticked. In a state of (well I'll show you), I told the dealer to order me a new differential (diff # 3) and I would pay for it myself, which we did.

They did give me a good discount - as I recall about $1000.00 compared to $1500.00 regular retail. Dealer/GM did install it on their dime. Diff # 3 is a good one except for occasional positraction clutch chatter, which is inherently normal in the C-5s. As it seems about everyone knows now that changing the gear oil occasionally helps this situation. Incidentally I got to keep diff # 2.

Original review: April 28, 2015

I'll never again buy from chevy..I had a 97 vette with 110000 miles on it having problems of it shutting off going down highway.. Spent 3 days at a dealership but they couldn't figure it out but finally started and after replacing distributor, plugs and other stuff I left and 5 miles down the road it shut off again..They replaced coil, ignition sensor etc and ran fine.. Went on vacation. Put about 4000 miles on it and got back home and a few days later bam it shut off again.. Took it to local chevy dealer and ended up trading it in for a 2004 vette.. Great car. Never broke down. Took it on vac. The next year took it in for service and they overinflated my tires etc and they're a chevy dealer that supposed to have highly trained mechanics..

Well after that I started taking it to jiffy lube and they're great plus cheaper.. Anyway I got rid of it due to medical reasons and was wanting a newer one but after reading about all the problems with blowing engines and torque tubes failing along with numerous other problems I'm going to get a hellcat or gtr.. The corvette I thought was an awesome sportscar.. Why spend 85000 on one brand new just to have it break down with 1000 miles on it sitting on the shoulder having everyone passing you on the freeway laughing at you.. I was wondering why there's so many 2014 z51 vettes back at the dealership used with anywhere from 581-1800 miles on them... Now I know why... Junk...

Original review: Jan. 18, 2015

I purchased a 2005 Corvette in 2012 with 26K on it. The harmonic balancer started to wobble shortly after I bought it. Luckily I had a warranty for 90 days so the dealer I purchased the car from paid for the job, except I put an ATI super damper in that I paid for and sold the Chevrolet replacement. Other than the wobble and the oxidized light lenses that I wet sanded clear again, I love my vette. No other issues.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

I have a 2013 grand sport that is difficult to steer on rough roads and pulls to the left on straight highway. If the car has to make a hard right or left turn, I hear a rubbing sound and the car rocks through the turn. I have had the front end aligned several times by the dealer but the alignment does not hold.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

I have about 47000 miles on my 2006 Corvette. The harmonic balancer needs to be replaced due to wobbling. I have had many cars before and have run them up to 130k miles but never had such a problem. Reading other people's complaints about the same issue, it seems that GM has a systematic problem with the balancer.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

I have a 2005 C6 Corvette with approximately 63,*** miles on it. It recently has encountered an issue with the steering column lock which will not allow you to start the car. When it would start and run the belts started to chirp. That's when I noticed the Harmonic Balancer wobbling. After researching on the internet I found these are both very common issues on the 2005 C6 Corvette. There are also Recalls on both issues for certain VINs however I am told my VIN is not listed as the recall so Chevy will not fix it under the recall. If I want it fixed I must pay to have them fixed. The quoted price to repair is about $1,000 for each item.

C5 Corvettes (one of which I also used to own) had the same issue with the steering column lock. They did have Recalls on them however never really came up with a complete fix until they finally began just removing the column lock system altogether. I have went to my local dealer and chatted with a Chevy Representative about my concerns and received the same answer from both. My VIN is not listed in the recall so they will not fix it unless I pay for it. You can search these issues and find an unlimited amount of information about the failure of these systems on the C6 Corvette (the steering column lock is a 2005 year only issue, because on the 2006 model they finally changed the column lock system). I would not recommend The Corvette or Chevy to anyone until they begin to treat their customers fairly.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

I have worked my entire life and waited to have a car like the Corvette. When I finally found one that seemed like it was in great condition this past April, I jumped at the chance to buy it. It is a 2005 C6 Corvette in LeMans Blue. I loved it, but...I have had to have the harmonic pulley replaced, the door sensors, the lenses covering the lights are cracking on the inside (replacing the whole unit is over $1,000 a side) and NOW the low beams will not work. GM has not processed the recall so guess who will have to pay for the repair.

It is very sad to me that GM cannot seem to get it together on such a nice car. I don't understand how foreign manufacturers never seem to have these issues with their cars and by the way I have a Honda and a Toyota and have zero issues with both of them. I really, really wish I could say the same about GM products. I really want to keep the car, but now I am worried about what is going to go wrong next. So I will probably sell it after the light problem is solved. So sad and disappointed with my Corvette experience.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

2003 z06 corvette - Had a problem about 2 years ago with the steering column wiring harness; it was a call back so GM took care of that. 6 months ago had a problem with the column lock causing the car to stall when put in gear. Cost me $600 to have this repaired; GM would not do anything since car is out of warranty. Just the other day the display came on indicating "steering column lock". What's going on with GM??

Chevy Corvette Company Information