2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

The Chevrolet Traverse is a full-size crossover SUV. It comes in three trim levels: LS, LT and LTZ. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Chevrolet Traverse Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Traverse?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Traverse?

Original review: June 12, 2020

I bought a 2019 Chevy Traverse LT AWD. It is the first Chevy I have ever purchased. I have not had it for a year yet. I pulled out of my driveway, started driving down my street not having reached 15 mph and heard a loud snap and thump. Returned home immediately as I was 2 houses from mine, looked under the vehicle and the front drive shaft was laying on the ground. That is not normal more less at a low speed. Had I been on the freeway when this occurred, it could have been detrimental and/or catastrophic to myself, family and others on the road. Called the dealer who stated they could not come get it, they do not do that, so had our insurance company tow it to dealership. I do NOT feel safe.

Original review: June 3, 2020

We purchased a new Chevy Traverse in 2011. 4 fuel pumps, 3 starters, 11 sets of headlights, 1 blown engine, erratic shifting, stalls, fuel gauge never works, and almost killed my wife when the accelerator stuck. We've been left stranded on the freeway several times. Took it to the dealer who wanted to charge us $1300 to replace the fuel pump and said they couldn't find any other issues. After we had a local shop replace the fuel pump for $880 less, the dealer called and said the fuel pump has an extended warranty because of issues. I have had four cases with GM and they never responded to the issues. We will never own another GM product again!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I've got a 2015 Chevy traverse, had to put 1000 dollars to fix it right off the lot at twin city auto center in Maryville Tn. Now the mechanic I use is saying the engine surging tac going up and down if gets any worse may cost 4 to 5 thousand dollars to fix. When will Chevrolet make all the lines of cars and trucks equally as important. Just because I can't buy the Camaro or vettes, doesn't mean I should suffer a with a car slapped together etc. They don't put enough time into the lower priced cars. Too many problems engine failure timing transmission failing or computer. A pretty car with a bad engine and tranny nicking and dimming me to death, doesn't get me back and forth to work. They need to shape up or stop wasting the consumers time. They also need to make the dealers make things right, at least let them get a line of credit to get it fixed and make payments, on Chevrolet's mistakes....

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I had a 2009 and a 2016 Chevy Traverse from Barton Chevy in Newburg NY. Both died before 100,000 miles, each costing $6000 to repair. Engine issues, Carbon clogged valves, causing misfires, traction control and stability track issues. It burned oil, I had to add a quart every 2000 miles. Almost broke up my marriage. Chevy should be charged with a crime for selling this Traverse. It should be called a Travesty instead. They know they have a bad engine and they continue to sell the car. All kinds of TSB on that car. I traded in my last Traverse with a check engine light on and Honda gave me a good deal, now I have a CRV, problems solved.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

2018 Chevy traverse. Within the first year it had a misfire. Within the second year the paint began chipping away. There is also an issue with parking which will require a new wiring harness. When I put the vehicle in park it does not recognize that is in park and give a warning that the vehicle needs to be put in park. It cannot turn off until this happens and I have to turn start the engine and shift through the gears several times. It can take up to five minutes to get the vehicle to turn off sometimes. The paint is covered under warranty but they are considering only fixing the affected areas instead of repainting the entire vehicle. I suspect that the paint is defective all the way around. I'm not sure if I received a bad apple or if the vehicle line is all bad. The concept and looks are good but the overall quality has been very disappointing.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Just purchased a 2018 Chevrolet Traverse Premier and it is by far my favorite vehicle owned to date. We have been Chevrolet owners for 15 years and while we have experienced some issues, it has never been greater than other car manufacturers we've owned. We love Chevy and the Chevy family. We feel we got so much value for our purchase and recommend this vehicle to everyone we talk to with a need for a large vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I am leasing a 2017 Chevy Traverse and am so happy with it. Hubby and I did a lot of camping and this vehicle was the only make and model that let the rear seat lay down perfectly flat, to accommodate our dorm size refrigerator. Huge tent and gear for 2 weeks at a State Park all fit into the rear of this vehicle and I could still see out the rear window.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

At 43k miles my 2016 Traverse had a catastrophic transmission failure leaving the vehicle with only first gear functioning! I purchased the vehicle used and I suspect it was off a 2 year lease. It only had 22k on it when we purchased it. Reading through many car blogs, I discovered that the GM 6 speed automatic had defective wave plates that would cause transmission failure and leave the vehicle with only first gear working. Has anyone else out there experienced this problem?

Fortunately it was covered by the 5 year, 60,000 mile power train warranty. The local dealership actually rebuilt the transmission rather than replace it. It was in the shop for 2 weeks as they waited for parts and took their time diagnosing everything. The dealer did give us a comparable loaner vehicle at no charge. I am really disappointed with the lack of reliability with GM and I will probably never purchase a Chevrolet ever again!

Original review: July 30, 2019

We purchased our Traverse at the Nissani Bros in Culver City, CA. About 2 weeks ago I rushed out of my home to run an errand. When I turned on my car no sound, I hooked up my phone to the Bluetooth and nothing. I then noticed my blinker light were on, but no blinking sound. This has happened once before but it lasted a few minutes. Unfortunately this time has been a nightmare, it’s a 2019. With very low miles. We took our Traverse to be repaired, the tech said it will be 3-4 hours.

By the 5th hour, we decided to call. The update they gave us was, "It’s a technical issue, we will need to keep the car." I was bothered but understood. The following morning we got the call from the tech, stating they need to order the part. Since then we began to receive calls from Angel, not sure of her title. She was rude, condescending, and short. Totally useless, needless to say we reached out to Chevy customer service to try and expedite the process. Now we have to wait until the part is received. To top it off they don’t want to issue us a rental car. BUYERS BEWARE, hopefully you won’t go through with this headache, huge inconvenience.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We lease a 2018 Chevy Traverse. A few weeks ago, we heard these strange sounds from the speakers and after a while, some loud "explosion" sounds and the speaker stopped working. I brought the car to Boch Chevrolet, in Norwood, MA and they said they need to replace an amp, and that it is back ordered with GMC. Since then (early July), we have not heard a word. No status, no email, no call, no online status page....nothing. We called Chevrolet customer services (since we lease the car from them) and they provided NOTHING in terms of status. Just a call but no one is empowered to do anything. They said they will have the dealership call us back (Quirk Chevrolet in Braintree, MA) and for a week, NOTHING. As you can see, while ok to have a warranty/part issue, the SERVICE IS hORRIBLE. No one updates you, you are left with a car with no speakers, no back camera tone alerts....

Chevrolet Traverse Company Information