1.89/5
Based on 38 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

40 Auto Computer Exchange Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Ordered a part that was supposed to be "plug and drive" which was incorrectly programmed. I returned it immediately. The initial customer service involved some apparently hurt ego as rather than issue a prompt refund; (I returned the part within 24 hours, as per their 14 day guarantee policy, and using their return shipping procedure), I encountered insults, inexplicable animosity, petty spitefulness, and severe knuckle dragging in returning the $299 I paid for the defective ecm. After calling and emailing every other day for 2 weeks, they finally credited my account $204 forcing me to fight tooth and nail for another week in an attempt to get the $95 still owed to me.

I was told the refund had been processed by Steve, the "head of customer service" (yeah, he's a gem) only to be sent to his supervisor, who after a week of pursuing this last $95 and being told it would be showing up in my bank in "3-5" business days, for 10 days straight that I was not eligible for a full refund because; quoting the raging jerk of a supervisor--'no refund will be issued because you ordered the wrong part and we don't pay for your mistakes'. So, here is the deal---I ordered an ecm for my truck. My responsibility was to send them my VIN so they could program and flash an ecm based on that information. There is no way that I ordered the wrong thing. THEY have proven on every level that they are incompetent, inconsistent, and wholly ignorant of any concept of customer satisfaction. I am considering legal action. DO NOT GIVE THEM A DIME OF YOUR MONEY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I saw these guys had an outstanding review history in eBay and not in Consumer Affairs or Google, and was a bit hesitant about ordering from them. Long story short, they delivered what they sold me, a working car computer that was plug and drive ready. Even my mechanic was a bit surprised how easy the install went as he had try to get it done through a junkyard part and a local programmer without luck. Luckily I went out and looked the replacement part on my own and got Auto Computer exchange to send me a replacement part. My experience has been pretty good, 5-star to say the least.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I used a company by a similar name and got nothing but garbage and minus $390. I reached out to these guys and not only did they give a discount but they walked me through the whole programming so they could send out my ECM same day. It was a literal plug and drive install. My Cummins is running smooth again. Thank you guys!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I've known the owner from the mid-90s and have been buying remanufactured ECMs for my American diesel trucks since then. All I can say is that everything I've purchased from this man has worked for me and if it hasn't they've made it right. Scott is the one who I always ask for, he usually knows the ins and outs of whatever part I need, FICMs, ECMs, PCM. Good American company.

Original review: March 3, 2018

It's hard to find a reliable computer seller for some of the older diesels for Rams and Fords. I order at least 8 computers from these guys per month, and can attest at the consistency in working computers they ship out to us. I've tried most car computer companies and there's always a 50/50 gamble with ALL of them. Save your time, call them and see how much they know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Computer Exchange?

Original review: March 1, 2018

I'm a diesel mechanic shop owner. My shop moves around 5-10 trucks in a day and certain ram computers start breaking down after 12-15 years. For the past 2 years I've been relying on these guys to get the reman ecms for my customers, and success rate on these computers has been 95%. If I ever have a problem, they fix the same day.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I called these guys from the road to get a new ECM for my ram 1500... Long story short, Scott helped me troubleshoot my computer and overnighted another ECM so I could continue with my travels. My truck is shifting even smoother than before.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I just got my ECM for my 99 325i, and it was a plug and drive setup. Mechanic took less than 10 minutes to install it and everything worked great. Even he was surprised at how we didn't have to go through unlocking the vehicle by the dealer to get it working. For anyone looking to order BMW ECM, these guys are legit. Thanks.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Got a bad PCM. Immediately on plug in showed a P0203 code. Yes I know that doesn't sound like a bad pcm but after the whole run around of trying to fix the code that's where it leads to. Not giving them a second chance. I agree it doesn't seem fair not to give a second chance but is it fair to me to have to have to check their pcm. Where is the quality control at? Yes it might be true that they do hundreds of orders but it's also probably true that there a lot of people (maybe hundreds) that are not satisfied that do not take the time to set the record straight! They should shut this place down.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I purchased an engine control module with a lifetime warranty and now they refuse to honor the lifetime warranty. I sent them the eBay/PayPal transaction report showing that I purchased the module with a lifetime warranty and they still REFUSE to honor it. Auto Computer Exchange is just a bunch of rip-offs. I went to them because of the low price and the lifetime warranty but now I wish I would have paid more and dealt with a reputable company. Now that I have ripped off by them I read the online reviews and most all of them say the same thing and that is do not do business with Auto Computer Exchange. They will rip you off.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

After much conversation with them, ordered part turns out to not be correct. Contacted them. Sent pictures as advised. Was told they would review and contact. Month later no response. Called again. Advised this time they would have to charge me 40% of paid amount to have them take it back. Their customer service referred me to this unit. I have all the email correspondence, but they don't seem to care. Buy correct part from reputable brick and mortar store. The time, money and aggravation will be well spent. The "Customer is always wrong" really gripes me.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

Purchased IDM for my Powerstroke, discovered it was causing issues with my injectors. Had to replace it with OEM. They only will exchange it for another piece of junk they have. Please don't buy anything from them. You will waste time and money with their products, and with Ford diesel engines please stick with factory parts because some reman stuff is junk and companies like this don't stand behind the product. Only had it their part for six months.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

Ordered rebuilt PCM while on vacation in Colorado to fix a stalling problem. Unit was mailed to a friend's address in Colorado since I had no address there. Stalling went away, P0505, idle speed code showed up, I.e. the rebuilt unit replaced one problem with another. Once back home in Oklahoma, I returned the allegedly rebuilt unit. In spite of phone instructions on two different occasions and an enclosed letter with the unit instructing them to mail the unit to my home, not my friend's address, they still screwed up and shipped it to the wrong place. Since it was their mistake, I asked if they would ship another unit until I could return the first one so I could get my Jeep back running. They refused. The rebuilt unit I received the first time had holes cut in back with a hole saw and glued back in place with caulk. It was very unprofessional looking. I haven't been able to acquire the second unit yet. I advise anyone to stay away from this place.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE GUYS!! Advertised unit as a rebuilt Cardone 79-2679. It was not rebuilt and it was DOA. They pulled it from a scrap vehicle and painted it (not very well I might add). I returned the unit and they charged me 75.00 for misdiagnosis fee plus 15.00 shipping fee even though I was already charged from the outbound shipping and I paid for the return shipping from USPS myself. Before I ordered the ECM from them I pulled one out of my friend's jeep and the vehicle started, so I knew that my ECM was bad. I installed the unit from Auto ECMS and it was DEAD. Ordered another one from a reputable company and my Jeep is running GREAT. 90.00 lesson learned to find ratings and reviews about companies as well as their product before buying it!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

A 1996 Chrysler town and country came in with a computer issue. The coil driver had failed which is a typical failure. Auto computer exchange sent me a computer for it. We installed it had the same problem. Sent a second computer also with the same problem. After talking with their customer service and technical people came to the conclusion that they have no idea what they are doing. Bought a computer from a different source and the problem is now repaired. They would not issue a refund so am out $250 after I sent both failed computer back to them. Do not buy anything from this company.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

My mechanic purchase an ECU for my 1993 Lexus SC400 from AutoComputerExchange.com. I was away for several months and my husband handled the problem with my car. When I returned I asked "if there is a new ECU, why are all the lights on - CEL, TRAC OFF, O/D flashing?" He didn't know why and Maggie from AutoComputerExchange.com didn't know why either. Well after trying to repair what was wrong with my car, I found out nothing was wrong with my car except the ECU I bought. AutoComputerExchange.com placed their sticker over Toyota/Denso label to cover the OEM part number. The ECU was for a Jan. 1994 to Jan. 1995 SC400, not my 1993. These ECUs ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.

AutoComputerExchange.com put their sticker over the label, but their sticker had the correct part number on it. So I can't blame my mechanic for not knowing he was installing the wrong part. Of course, Maggie won't admit to this nor give me a refund. Steve argued with me that they are interchangeable, so he is an idiot. I see by the other posts that I probably shouldn't waste my time calling to speak with Lou. I really feel bad for all the people that have spent thousands of dollars trying to fix problems with their cars that never existed. The malicious people really need to be held accountable for the pain and suffering and expense they have caused so many people. My granddaughter has 500,000 followers on her twitter account. I will tweet something and have her retweet it for me, just to do my part in bringing them down.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

This place is a joke, a ripoff, a scam, they're cheaters. I ordered an ecu on weds at 10 am and selected 2-day shipping. When I didn't receive a tracking number after 48 hrs I called to speak to someone about it. After about 30 mins of being on hold I finally spoke with a guy that didn't have a clue about anything he was asked. He did however tell me that the 2-day shipping option is valid after the 24-48 hrs it takes for them to process the order but it definitely didn't take them that long to withdraw the money from my account. I waited over the weekend and even waited into Weds. I call back and was then told that nothing had been done because off an electrical outage and their location. Long story short I canceled the order. I only hope anyone wondering about this company reads this review and hope they use some other company.

Original review: July 20, 2015

I placed the order for a PCM through this company. I spoke with Derek. He said it would take 24-48 hrs. It has been 4 days and Derek will not talk to me. The part still is not available. Please do not order anything from this company.

Original review: June 15, 2015

I wish I had seen all these complaints before I purchased from this company. I got a PCM for my 2001 Dakota and the overdrive down shifting hits really hard. And at high speed, the last thing you want is your transmission to malfunction. So I asked them to send me another one because its my work truck and they want $150 to make the swap. Of course it's all in the fine print, so I would not recommend this company even to my worst enemy.

Original review: April 11, 2015

Bought a new computer from them and it went out. Supposed to have a lifetime warranty as per their website and they won't honor it. Said I have to have the receipt when it's clearly in the computer that they can pull up and still have all my information but guess what, out of luck. All they want is more money for another computer. This place is a joke. Do not buy from them. I'm contacting my lawyer Monday. I would rather pay a lawyer some money and see what they say to him. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My Automatic Transmission Shop occasionally needs to replace the TCM or PCM. I ordered a PCM for a 2001 Toyota Rav4. We received the unit. It was faulty. It caused a very harsh shift to 3rd gear. We returned it, we received another unit, and it didn't work either. The owner of the Rav4 decided to go to Toyota dealer. We called Auto computer exchange and told them we were shipping the 2nd faulty unit back and was assured there was no problem with returning it. One month later still no refund and after many, many calls I receive a partial refund--minus $150.05 return and restocking fees!! On a defective part!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2015

Found this horrible place on the internet. Thought it was a good company!! Pcm rebuilt for my 00 ram and the first one worked for about 2500 miles. They say 1 year warranty but it's total BS. I sent them my computer back and they sent me back on my dime another one and it was just my old one painted black. I sent it back to them again on my dime because it wasn't fixed. They sent it back again and still same problem.

I had my reputable mechanic diagnose the computer and tells me it's still bad. So Bryan which isn't even his real name tells me to send it back again on my dime and ships me another one-- now painted silver!! Still having the same issue. So he tells me that all the sent ones that were just painted and not fixed have used up my warranty!! So I find a local pcm rebuilt and took it there and as soon as I hand it to him he says... "Well that's not even the type of computer that goes to your truck!!!" It was for a 3.9v6 I have a 5.9 v8... Bottom line is don't use this company. You WILL get ripped off. The owner did time already for scamming people. I just wish I woulda read the reviews first! Now I'm out $289 and I have to go to a new company to get a computer built.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

First I ordered a ficm for an 03 6.0 diesel. 2 days later I got a pcm. The salesman Richard would rather tell dirty jokes than do his job evidently. Then 2 days later got ficm, it was bad. These people are a joke. My customer was out of their truck for a week and a half. I finally went to ford and got ficm fired right up, no problems. Don't waste your time with these jokers, probably won't even get a refund.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2014

I got the first ECM on 1/16/2014, work order #**. My truck stop on 2/21/2014 with code #601 then on 7/20/2014 with no bus on speedo. Now 11/6/2014, the same thing and they won't even let me send it in. They say "WE HAVE AN IRON CLAD ONE YEAR WARRANTY ON YOUR COMPUTER WITH A CORE EXCHANGE."

Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

I am very happy with my purchase. I paid for expedited shipping but Jimmy made sure I got it ASAP. The company was extremely responsive and the part (TCM) worked perfectly. I had previously purchased an ECM for my vehicle and the first one failed upon installation. Auto Computer Exchange immediately sent another ECM with suggestions on how to install safely. I guess it is easy to fry these if you don't install correctly. I followed their suggestion and the 2nd one worked. Note that they didn't wait for me to return the faulty one before sending a replacement. Speaking with Jim yesterday, he admitted that the company had some customer service problems a few years ago due to a change in management. He said those issues have been resolved and I agree. I highly recommend this company based on my experience with them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2014

Ordered an ECM for my car. Had. A friend pick up and fly it to Belize. I was aware they had a 14 day return policy, so when it didn't work I called to let them know within 5 days. Told them my friend would fly it back, and the dates, they said no problem. Well, when my refund was posted it was minus $100 US for a restocking fee! The part was defective and I kept them informed. In trying to get so one with common sense on the phone they all said "company policy". You cannot talk to anyone with the ability to use common sense. They ship a defective product and charge 25% for the privilege of discovering that for them! Do not do business with these people!

Original review: July 9, 2014

I bought a computer Dec 2012 for a 98 Dodge Dakota truck. It worked good for about 7 months then the truck would not run right and the computer would not give any codes. The truck had a very bad miss and was shaking. 2 shops hook up their big computers to the truck but the truck computer still would not give any codes. I replaced it with another, and got the codes. The Computer Exchange would not exchange it. I got the good one from another company.

Original review: June 17, 2014

I purchased a engine control module from this company for $368. After almost two weeks, the part came. The part did not work. I called the company to inform them that their part did not work and that I am sending it back for a refund. The part was shipped back to this company and after a week or so, they refunded me $209. I called them today to request the rest of my refund $159, but was told they charge $50 for programming fee and $86 for restocking fee. When I asked to speak to Brian, a supervisor, I was told he was not in. When I purchased the unit, I was not told they would keep half my money for programming and restocking. Furthermore, I believe they did not program the engine control module, but charge customers anyway. You live and learn and not make the same mistake again. This is the kind of company that make it bad for the others. You don't want to do business with companies like this one!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

Purchased in Dec. 2013 PCM for Jeep GC on the instructions of popping the PCM in and away I go. WRONG... Experienced Firestone mechanic installed... and immediately the car starts and then dies with "Security Key" code showing on diagnostic device. Called and Bryan said to send back... that the code would be programmed out. Should have been removed the first time. Received the second PCM after a week and OH NO... same code appeared along with the Vin # came up as not matching! Called again. This time I was embarrassed that I tried to get away with doing it on the cheap. Sent it back again and said to refund... couldn't do this again. They charged reprogram fee and stocking fee of $100.00 and emailed me saying no codes appeared for them! Of course... So $100.00 is a minimal amount to pay for the experience which I will never attempt again. Sorry for all the other horror stories. Now it's back at the dealer for another $900.00 PCM!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2013

Purchased a PCM for my 2006 Jeep Wrangler did a lot of research for a transmission shifting issue. They said they were aware of the issue and a new programmed PCM would fix the problem. I ordered it and paid the $389 and had to send my original to them as a core. The unit arrived and I plugged it in. It worked fine for about 4 days and the same exact issue came back. I had to send it back to them on my dime. They claimed to have checked it out and replaced some parts and sent it back to me after a week. This time, I plugged it in and it would drive, but went into a "safe mode" and would not shift or go over 40mph. I called and was told I had to go to a dealer and have it programmed ($190). Says right on the website that the PCM's come pre-programmed and you won't have to do this. First lie.

The transmission shift issue came back immediately after the dealer programmed. Now worse than ever. The dealer checked it out for me, replaced a couple of sensors and took the transmission pan off to inspect ($685) and could not find any other problems. I told them to replace the PCM at my cost - $900. They replaced the PCM and I have been problem free ever since. The dealer said I needed a core for the PCM to save $200 on a core charge. I called Carcomputerexchange.com and was told by the warranty representative to give them the bad PCM. They also told me they would send the request for a refund to the refund department, which is the owner Lou, and they would get back to me. They never got back to me.

I called several times and could not speak to the person that does the refunds. I was only given a email address, Billing@carcomputerexchange. They sent back a response that said only "we will not be issuing a refund". Would not respond to any other emails. Truly a cowardly company hiding behind an email address and not speaking directly to customers.

Auto Computer Exchange expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Established in 1989, Auto Computer Exchange is a family owned and operated business based in Davie, Florida, specializing in automotive computer parts. In addition to stores in Davie, Atlanta and Houston, it also offers a comprehensive website with computer parts for many major makes of consumer vehicles. Customers send in their old computer part and receive a new or refurbished one under warranty.

• One year warranty for exchanges: Because Auto Computer Exchange specializes in refurbishing and recycling old computer parts, they offer a one year warranty on new and refurbished computer parts as an incentive to customers who send in their old part in exchange. When you receive your new part, use the prepaid shipping label to return the old part.

• Refurbished in house: Auto Computer Exchange employs their own computer technologists who personally refurbish and program computers specifically for your vehicle make and model. Because they don’t outsource this work, they are able to offer faster service and better prices to the customer.

• Major vehicle makes: Vehicle computers must be made specifically for a given make and model, and then must be programmed for your specific car. While Auto Computer Exchange does not carry computer parts for all vehicles, they offer most major vehicle makes, including Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Jeep, Toyota, Lexus and more.

• Large inventory: Many automotive companies carry a small inventory to reduce overhead expenses, which means the customer has to wait for the part to be ordered from the manufacturer and shipped to the dealer before receiving it themselves. Auto Computer Exchange carries most of its website inventory in stock in their own warehouse, which means your order is likely to be available for immediate shipment to you.

• Order over $100 ship free: Auto Computer Exchange offers free ground shipping on all orders over $100, which includes nearly all of the products available. Tracking numbers are provided to safeguard your shipment and guarantee delivery. Customers can choose to expedite shipping for an additional charge.

• Best for: people who need a new automobile computer component and can install it themselves.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs