Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.87/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Auto Computer Exchange Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I first found them online, then I received a chat from an operator. She told me to call ** in Sales. First off, ** in sales called me "Bro" and seemed less than professional. After speaking with him, I found him to be knowledgeable enough to do business with him. I agreed to send in my ECM to have it refurbished. He told me it would take about ten days to have my unit returned.

I tracked my package and called him to confirm that he had received it. He confirmed that he had. I asked for updates, and he promised he would. No. I called him for updates a few times, and each time, I was told the technicians were working on it. Finally, when I called (not him) he told me the technicians could not refurbish my unit because of some internal damage. Ok, fine. I agreed to purchase a refubished unit from their stock. This came to me several days after it was promised. I had to call them to get a tracking number for it. They did not notify me of any shipment.

When it was received, it was hanging out of a heavily damaged carboard box. It functioned fine for about a week. After that, it began to lose communications with my transmission causing my truck to run poorly. I had paid for a lifetime warranty, so I called ** from sales because he was familiar with my case. He sent me to ** in customer service to handle the warranty issues. ** from sales was quite rude, and I couldn't get off the phone with him soon enough.

** from customer service is easy to talk to, and I get the impression he has to cover for his associates in other departments a lot. He told me that as soon as I provided a tracking number for the refurbished ECM on the way back to them, they would send me another unit immediately. I did so. I heard nothing back for two days, so I followed up with **. He told me they were working on my unit and programming it, and it would be sent as soon as it was done. Week went by and I called again. "They are working on it." I asked them what the problem was, and he said there were "issues with the unit". I don't believe they had a unit. Another week passed. "He told me that he was receiving another unit in two days from their "facilities" and would program that for my truck. I was told that I would receive a notification if it shipped.

I called back two days later, and ** told me that it had shipped. I asked for a tracking number and he provided it to me. The unit had been in the mail for three days. It arrived two days later. The part itself had been glued back together where one of the terminal blocks plugs in. The pins were a bit dirty so I cleaned them. I installed the unit, and so far so good. It has been four days.

In the box was a notification that I had 14 days to return the "core" (original) or I would be charged $250 for a core fee. I immediately went online to look into this. Most people who register a complaint about this company have been charged a core fee even though they had previously submitted their core. With the lack of documentation this company provides, there is no evidence of anything, and it's their word against yours. I called my bank to let them know any further charges from the company are not authorized. My bank agreed to dispute any further charges made.

To make things more confusing, their billing is done from their storefront name which is "Auto Module Source Inc." At one point, they had my part and my money, and I had nothing documented that I was guaranteed anything from them. When I called to request an invoice, they sent me an invoice for some other poor soul who had done business with them. The only invoice I received was in the box it came with. They do not return emails. They do not contact you. They will send you an email if you request it, but it never becomes a traceable thread because they do not respond through email. My advice. Look elsewhere for your automobile computer needs. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Ordered a part that was supposed to be "plug and drive" which was incorrectly programmed. I returned it immediately. The initial customer service involved some apparently hurt ego as rather than issue a prompt refund; (I returned the part within 24 hours, as per their 14 day guarantee policy, and using their return shipping procedure), I encountered insults, inexplicable animosity, petty spitefulness, and severe knuckle dragging in returning the $299 I paid for the defective ecm. After calling and emailing every other day for 2 weeks, they finally credited my account $204 forcing me to fight tooth and nail for another week in an attempt to get the $95 still owed to me.

I was told the refund had been processed by Steve, the "head of customer service" (yeah, he's a gem) only to be sent to his supervisor, who after a week of pursuing this last $95 and being told it would be showing up in my bank in "3-5" business days, for 10 days straight that I was not eligible for a full refund because; quoting the raging jerk of a supervisor--'no refund will be issued because you ordered the wrong part and we don't pay for your mistakes'. So, here is the deal---I ordered an ecm for my truck. My responsibility was to send them my VIN so they could program and flash an ecm based on that information. There is no way that I ordered the wrong thing. THEY have proven on every level that they are incompetent, inconsistent, and wholly ignorant of any concept of customer satisfaction. I am considering legal action. DO NOT GIVE THEM A DIME OF YOUR MONEY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I saw these guys had an outstanding review history in eBay and not in Consumer Affairs or Google, and was a bit hesitant about ordering from them. Long story short, they delivered what they sold me, a working car computer that was plug and drive ready. Even my mechanic was a bit surprised how easy the install went as he had try to get it done through a junkyard part and a local programmer without luck. Luckily I went out and looked the replacement part on my own and got Auto Computer exchange to send me a replacement part. My experience has been pretty good, 5-star to say the least.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I used a company by a similar name and got nothing but garbage and minus $390. I reached out to these guys and not only did they give a discount but they walked me through the whole programming so they could send out my ECM same day. It was a literal plug and drive install. My Cummins is running smooth again. Thank you guys!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I've known the owner from the mid-90s and have been buying remanufactured ECMs for my American diesel trucks since then. All I can say is that everything I've purchased from this man has worked for me and if it hasn't they've made it right. Scott is the one who I always ask for, he usually knows the ins and outs of whatever part I need, FICMs, ECMs, PCM. Good American company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Computer Exchange?

Original review: March 3, 2018

It's hard to find a reliable computer seller for some of the older diesels for Rams and Fords. I order at least 8 computers from these guys per month, and can attest at the consistency in working computers they ship out to us. I've tried most car computer companies and there's always a 50/50 gamble with ALL of them. Save your time, call them and see how much they know.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I'm a diesel mechanic shop owner. My shop moves around 5-10 trucks in a day and certain ram computers start breaking down after 12-15 years. For the past 2 years I've been relying on these guys to get the reman ecms for my customers, and success rate on these computers has been 95%. If I ever have a problem, they fix the same day.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I called these guys from the road to get a new ECM for my ram 1500... Long story short, Scott helped me troubleshoot my computer and overnighted another ECM so I could continue with my travels. My truck is shifting even smoother than before.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I just got my ECM for my 99 325i, and it was a plug and drive setup. Mechanic took less than 10 minutes to install it and everything worked great. Even he was surprised at how we didn't have to go through unlocking the vehicle by the dealer to get it working. For anyone looking to order BMW ECM, these guys are legit. Thanks.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Got a bad PCM. Immediately on plug in showed a P0203 code. Yes I know that doesn't sound like a bad pcm but after the whole run around of trying to fix the code that's where it leads to. Not giving them a second chance. I agree it doesn't seem fair not to give a second chance but is it fair to me to have to have to check their pcm. Where is the quality control at? Yes it might be true that they do hundreds of orders but it's also probably true that there a lot of people (maybe hundreds) that are not satisfied that do not take the time to set the record straight! They should shut this place down.

Auto Computer Exchange expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Established in 1989, Auto Computer Exchange is a family owned and operated business based in Davie, Florida, specializing in automotive computer parts. In addition to stores in Davie, Atlanta and Houston, it also offers a comprehensive website with computer parts for many major makes of consumer vehicles. Customers send in their old computer part and receive a new or refurbished one under warranty.

• One year warranty for exchanges: Because Auto Computer Exchange specializes in refurbishing and recycling old computer parts, they offer a one year warranty on new and refurbished computer parts as an incentive to customers who send in their old part in exchange. When you receive your new part, use the prepaid shipping label to return the old part.

• Refurbished in house: Auto Computer Exchange employs their own computer technologists who personally refurbish and program computers specifically for your vehicle make and model. Because they don’t outsource this work, they are able to offer faster service and better prices to the customer.

• Major vehicle makes: Vehicle computers must be made specifically for a given make and model, and then must be programmed for your specific car. While Auto Computer Exchange does not carry computer parts for all vehicles, they offer most major vehicle makes, including Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Jeep, Toyota, Lexus and more.

• Large inventory: Many automotive companies carry a small inventory to reduce overhead expenses, which means the customer has to wait for the part to be ordered from the manufacturer and shipped to the dealer before receiving it themselves. Auto Computer Exchange carries most of its website inventory in stock in their own warehouse, which means your order is likely to be available for immediate shipment to you.

• Order over $100 ship free: Auto Computer Exchange offers free ground shipping on all orders over $100, which includes nearly all of the products available. Tracking numbers are provided to safeguard your shipment and guarantee delivery. Customers can choose to expedite shipping for an additional charge.

• Best for: people who need a new automobile computer component and can install it themselves.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs