It's that easy Get a Free Quote
1.89/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

150 American Auto Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I am a service adviser for a large independent automotive repair facility, and we deal with many extended warranties, these guys are the worst. I have been on hold now for over 1 hr like everyone else. Never have I dealt with extended warranties that made us wait this long. As a repair facility we do not have all this time to wait, this is very unprofessional. I would advise all potential consumers looking into getting an extended warranty to STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! After reading most of the reviews I would have to say that this company is a scam.

American Auto Shield response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience. We reached out to you privately to begin resolving this matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

As a Service Manager for a domestic new car dealership neither myself or my Service Consultants have the time in our day to sit on hold for hours while being transferred from person to person to get a claim started. In the past two days I have been on hold all together over four hours and have made no progress getting my customers claim approved. I tried the online claims method, but it appears to be broken, I have tried the callback option but they do not call back. I have dealt with many warranty companies in my career and American Auto Shield tops the list of the worst. After this experience any customer bringing in a vehicle with an American Auto Shield warranty will pay out of pocket for their repair and then they can sit on hold forever to be reimbursed. I am still waiting on hold while I write this review, 1 hour 21 minutes on hold this round.

American Auto Shield response

We appreciate the opportunity to resolve this matter. We strive to provide excellent customer service and hope our representatives were able to assist with a satisfactory resolution.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

First of all I want to say I had CarShield 4 months and I haven’t made a claim ever to an insurance company. The customer service people was polite. That is the only reason I’m even giving a 1 star. The dealership was on hold for 2 hours. She then called me to get me to start a claim because they do not have 2 plus hours to wait on the phone. I called Auto Shield to the claims department. I was on hold 3 hours and never got through to anyone! I press 1 for call back but that system doesn’t work. Internet service doesn’t work so therefore it all a scam! Please be aware of this and other car warranty places. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I’m filling a complaint with Better Business Bureau!

American Auto Shield response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience. We reached out to you privately on February 14 to begin resolving this matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Over 5 hours on the telephone. No success placing a claim. I have been trying to get my car repaired, and need authorization from American Auto Shield. I am continuously on hold. And their online claim reporting is disabled. My service provider was not successful in securing approval, they were on hold for over 2 hours. I am now on day 10 of my rental trying to get someone to approve the repair. Looks like I will need to pay a tenth day of rental since I am still on hold. This company does not provide the only service it is suppose to - approve repairs provided by their contract.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I’ve made a claim. Sat on the phone on hold over 5 times for over an hour and a half. Finally get through and get told because there’s no service records it’s denied. I haven’t even owned my car a year. 1 oil change I did myself so then they say I can talk to the claims adjusters but they apologize. It’s will have to be on hold another 50 min. After 1 hour and 10 min I get disconnected. LOL. Not to mention they charged me another month when they still haven’t done anything about my claim I did last month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Over 5 hours on the telephone. No success placing a claim. I have been trying to get my car repaired, and need authorization from American Auto Shield. I am continuously on hold. And their online claim reporting is disabled. I rented a car for one day while my repair were being made. My service provider was not successful in securing approval, they were on hold for over 90 minutes. I am now on day 2 of my rental trying to get someone to approve the repair. Looks like I will need to pay a third day of rental since I am still on hold. This company does not provide the only service it is suppose to - approve repairs provided by their contract.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to help resolve this matter to your satisfaction. We hope that our representatives were able to address any questions or concerns you may have had. Thank you for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us should you need further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH. I have been put on hold for the better part of a work day. My current call is at one hour and 10 minutes. It's funny because I can tell they took me out of my hold for the manager and put me back into the general hold music again. It's absolutely a SHAM. My contract is paid in full and they refuse to take my call and honor my claim. Also they only correspond via phone or fax. I have not gotten any email from them. Oh and GET THIS... Their VOIP phone service was so messed up yesterday that I was connected to a different company 4 times - So of course I called customer service and she was so shocked she put me on hold to call and got the same reply - Shocker! I encourage you to save yourself from a few gray hairs and do not do business with these scammers!!!... Btw, I'm still on hold.

American Auto Shield response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience. We reached out to you privately on February 13 to begin resolving this matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have my 2008 GMC Acadia stuck in the shop at the moment. The shop and I were on conference call with American Auto Shield when after 30 minutes, we finally got someone on the line. Only to be transferred to an "adjuster" to review my claim. The wait time? 1 hour and 5 minutes! I tried pressing '1' for their callback service and it didn't even function! Unfortunately, the mechanic from the shop had other customers to service so we had to hang up (understandably so). Now I'm on the line again and approaching another 30 minutes. This is truly unacceptable. You can't even make a claim online! I'll be filing a complaint with the BBB.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to help resolve this matter to your satisfaction. If you have any questions regarding the resolution of your claim, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Hours on hold to talk to someone then told that the customer can't file a claim - it has to be done by the authorized repair shop. The Ford dealer calls and after 1-1/2 hours on hold finally gets through. After providing all the diagnostic info - the Auto Shield rep states they cannot assign a claim number. Only the adjuster can do that and transfers the call. After holding for another hour and few minutes the dealer finally disconnects. In short, the website has been "down" for online claims, you cannot get through via phone. The 'dealer' option provides no additional access to Auto-Shield. I am disgusted with this company and intend to pursue a refund with my CC company and file a complaint with the BBB. I recommend you stay far away from any business arrangement with this company.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to help resolve this matter. We hope that our representative was able to address any questions or concerns you may have had. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us should you need further assistance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I am quite unhappy with American Auto Shield. I had their coverage for a couple of months, then experienced misfiring while my vehicle was running. This happened in early December... It is now Mid-February and I do not yet have a working vehicle. They have stalled, asked for diagnostics, asked for repeat diagnostics, and dragged their feet through the entire process. If you try to contact the company, long wait times on the phone. If you try to do it online, messages stating that the service is temporarily unavailable. My mechanic has performed the diagnostics that were requested (at MY expense, mind you), and has tried on multiple attempts to get the adjuster on the phone to approve the work.

So far, they have performed two actual billable hours of work on my vehicle in over two months. The adjuster is now requesting oil change records, service records, etc, as a broken valve spring was found to be the problem causing the misfire. So, I have a problem that is diagnosed, and supposed to be covered by their warranty, and they are doing their absolute best NOT to cover it. Completely unhappy and will absolutely not recommend this company to anyone.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to help resolve this matter. We hope that our representatives were able to answer any questions or concerns you may have had regarding your claim. We look forward to resolving this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

1/31/19 Wow, after reading several reviews, I'm quite worried about my truck being in the repair shop waiting for an inspection by the adjuster. I, also have been calling for days & yes it's a long wait time, all the transfers and waiting again, sometimes 2 hours, finally after the long wait time you get disconnected, then have to start all over. But, I have to say, whomever I speak with on the phone has been very professional, helpful and apologetic. Today, I finally spoke with an adjuster, he then spoke with the mechanic and advised him someone will be out to inspect the truck in a couple days. I hope & pray that I can update my review with some positive feedback after the inspection.

2/5/19 Update: Adjuster went out to inspect the truck or I should say just looked at the truck & said, "yes, it needs a engine" and told the mechanic they will get back to him. Well, nobody got back to the mechanic, so I had to call again a few times, until I finally spoke with someone. I do say, they are very polite when they do get on the phone. Now, they want a diagnostic done on the engine to see what caused the engine to fail. This means for the mechanic to break down the engine, but if the adjuster stated it needs a new engine, then why does the mechanic have to take the engine apart and report to them again? Is it so, they can say "that part is not covered" or so they can just deny the claim? Yes, I'm starting to think this a scam. It's a bunch of back and forth and nothing is getting done.

My truck has been in the shop since 1/29/19. I nor the mechanic, should not have to go back and forth many times with customer service after the adjuster said it needed a new engine. Any advice from anybody? 2/7/19 Update: yes, per the adjuster that went to the mechanic, my truck needs an engine. After speaking with “KALI" (first rude representative I have spoken with) told me, yes, we (the customer) take a chance in the mechanic breaking down the engine and them denying the claim. How is this possible? Why are we paying you, so you can deny everything and make money off your customers. I asked Kali to speak with a manager, she said they will tell me the same thing. I asked her to transfer me to legal department so I can forward their information to my lawyer.

She said, have the law firm call and they will forward them to the legal department. I have emailed car shield and American Auto Shield a few days ago & still no response. All I want is honesty from a business that is collecting money from their customers. How can American Auto Shield/Car Shield sleep at night knowing they are ripping off hard working people. How would they feel, if this was done to their family members. I hope this "Trust pilot" sends our reviews thru to American Auto Shield and not delete them or file them away. Everyone, please do not recommend this company to anyone. I will be filing legal action and reporting them to the BBB. I suggest everyone report this company to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been paying CarShield for 6 months now and the one day I need to utilize my service for my car. My dealer is on hold for 2 hours trying to get a hold of American Auto Shield the company CarShield has my contract thru. After being on hold to let them know the repairs that are needed he is now still on hold with claims - someone contacted me and told me that what I need fixed is not covered. I was like "I have the most expensive coverage and you are telling me it is not covered."

The fuel tank sensor - check engine light came on and the turn signal switch. I was like "I have the contract here and it states it does cover the fuel tank and any other parts and the turn signal switch I have it right in front of me." The woman was rude. Told me it was not covered and hung up on me. I am so pissed off. I am going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. CarShield was very nice. However they need to not contract with this horrible company. Buyer beware... When you need your car repaired they will say it is not covered even after you have a contract with them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Updated on 02/12/2019: Have this warranty I bought through CarShield for American Auto Shield Car Warranty. My car is in the Toyota Dealers. The Service Manager stayed on hold for 1 hour and 10 mins waiting on phone to make a claim for me yesterday. Finally a lady came to phone. Asked some info about the car then transferred him to another long wait hold number. After another 1 hour he had to hang up to work. I called yesterday and held 1 hour. No one came to answer call from AAS. Please call the Toyota Dealer service department for my car that's in the shop there under your warranty. No one can take 1 or 2 hours to just sit on a phone on hold. People work also. Thank you. I hope you do respond back here.

Original Review: If you read previous comments about calling American Auto Shield for a repair claim you will see that it's almost impossible to reach them for the last month or so. Thus far into Feb 2019 nothing has changed. Car Shield who sells their Warranty, claims they had a phone problem. But for a Whole Month??? And they also say you can file a claim online. But you Cannot! Its still says: "The online claim reporting feature is temporarily disabled. We apologize for any inconvenience. We are working to restore this service as soon as possible. For customer service or to file a claim, please contact us directly at 800.531.1925." American Auto Shield is Not a Warranty Company you can use. You will never get you Car Warrantied repaired with them. You Guys need to get it together!!!

American Auto Shield response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. We reached out to you privately to begin resolving this matter, and we look forward to hearing from you. We are working diligently to address any issues with our phone provider, and the online claims submission feature has been restored for American Auto Shield customers and their repair facilities’ convenience. Should you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I am currently on hold still after an hour and ten minutes. I work as an adviser and have worked with tons of other warranty companies. This is obviously a pattern looking at other reviews. The online submission system is also conveniently "down" at this time. Looks like a company that is happy to take your money but dead slow at helping you fix anything. Hope I never have to deal with them again.

American Auto Shield response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. We are working diligently to address any issues with our phone provider, and the online claims submission feature has been restored for American Auto Shield customers and their repair facilities’ convenience. Thank you for your feedback. Should you or our mutual customer need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Updated on 02/15/2019: DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CONTRACT!!! Their response to my original review does not address the issue. Either this claim was not thoroughly reviewed or there is a deliberate effort to ignore the documentation. AAS’ original response to me was that I was in a grace period for the claim. They completely ignored the original contract date and their original statement that their computer calculates “effective dates” differently than what’s stated in the contract. Additionally, they have ignored the submitted service records which verify that there was no pre-existing damage. BUYER BEWARE!!! AAS DID NOT HONOR THEIR CONTRACT!!!

Original Review: I purchased a power train/transmission warranty for a 2001 jaguar XK8 w/ 195,000 miles based on Carshield’s qualifications. This is a 3rd vehicle that is not driven often. Ironically, after several days without use, I pulled the car out for a drive. After about 10 min, the low oil pressure light came on and went off but I heard a knocking noise. I had the vehicle towed to my jaguar specialist who said it was going to need an engine. We located an engine and I remembered I had purchased this warranty specifically for this eventuality.

I called AAS and they immediately began to lay groundwork to deny the claim. They went as far as stating that I knew something was wrong with the vehicle when I purchased the contract and requested service records. Fortunately, I had all service records which showed that the vehicle was properly maintained and had no engine problem ever noted. It had a radiator hose and water pump replaced 3 weeks prior to the claim. Per the service records, all fluid levels were good and the oil was clean. No engine problems or engine noise were noted. I sent these records in for verification and AAS denied the claim without ever reviewing. Regardless of the contract stated effective date, AAS decided that the contract effective date was not the actual effective date. This allowed them to make a claim that I was in my grace period and therefore, not covered.

I have decided to use an attorney to hold AAS to the executed contractual agreement. Although, I do not need to rely on this contract to repair this vehicle, based on principle, the contract that was sold needs to be honored. AAS’s arbitrary sentiments of when the contract started or when the vehicle began to have issues, does not match the service records, nor do they match what is legally binding. My recommendation to anyone contemplating this warranty is to beware!

Hello Rodney,

Thank you for your patience as we perform a detailed examination of your coverage, claim and concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

They sold us a contract that never should have been sold. They took our money knowing that our vehicle was a commercial vehicle which they don't cover. Then when we had a claim for a new engine they denied us based on the bed of our truck which has nothing to do with the power train. Even the dealership would have honor a warranty no matter what bed we had. They sure didn't mind taking our money fraudulently if nothing happen, but don't cover your end of the bargain. They now are directing us back to the company "CarShield" who we originally bought the policy from who then tell us we have deal with American Auto Shield. Now we have to sue.

I have been told this is a scam. They do this and hope you'll give up. I won't. I will be finding a lawyer to sue based on Breach of contract and Fraud. Since we bought this policy it's too late for us to purchase another somewhere else because of our mileage. The adjustor would not even talk to us. The engine was $18,000 out of our pocket. It took six weeks to get an answer from them. Meantime had to find a place to live for six weeks because we were out of town. I recommend no one ever buys a policy from either one of these companies.

Hello Stewart,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. American Auto Shield is a claims administrator. We are not the seller of the contract you purchased, and we did not speak with you regarding the sale of your contract, the use of your vehicle, or any modifications to your vehicle. With that said, we’re sorry we were not able to resolve your claim to your satisfaction. However, your vehicle was modified to include a flat bed, and the contract you purchased specifically excludes modifications and alterations to the covered vehicle, as well as commercial use.

Thank you again for your feedback. Our records indicate this matter was resolved, your contract was cancelled, and any refund due was issued by the seller of your contract.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I can echo the sentiment of customers and service shops that are trying to get a claim processed. I have been on hold for 31 minutes and counting trying just to start a claim. Yea I know you are going to respond about beefing up your staff, blah, blah. And I was going to buy their home warranty but not now. I have called them several times for other customers and have not had a single item covered. Too many loopholes to get them out of paying a claim, always have some lame excuse for not covering an item. 36 minutes now and all operators are still busy. What a joke.

American Auto Shield response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. We reached out to you privately to ensure this matter was resolved to your satisfaction. We are working diligently to address any issues with our phone provider, and the online claims submission feature has been restored for American Auto Shield customers and their repair facilities’ convenience. Should you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have a customer that started using Auto Shield, the first time I had to deal with them was a absolute nightmare. Plan on sitting on hold for at least one hour every time you need to get in touch with them. Plan on being disconnected a few times. We started our claim with Auto Shield on a Ford F-150 with timing chain concerns over a month ago. They keep asking us to take the engine further apart and showing them more components.

The adjuster has been to our facility three times now and, they are still not giving us approval to make any repairs. The people they send to take pictures and take notes are very unprofessional. They never asked my customer about his service records when they took his money to sign up but, now they want every service record available to try to prove he does not maintain his vehicle properly. The only thing they care about is trying to prove that somehow, some way it was your fault that so they do not have to cover it. This company is a scam! The worst ever!

American Auto Shield response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. We reached out to you privately to ensure this matter was resolved to your satisfaction. Should you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We are a repair shop trying to open a claim. We have been on hold/IGNORE for over 30 min. 2 times on this repair and 3 times on a previous repair last month. HORRIBLE SERVICE!!! Then they act like they are doing you a favor. Please people shop around. There are better companies out there.

American Auto Shield response

American Auto Shield reached out to this repair facility privately on January 23, 2019, and the customer’s claim has since been resolved.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Buyer beware!!! This company is the worst company to ever consider getting extended coverage for your vehicle. Have been getting the run around for a first time claim. Company not communicating with dealership and customer. Please open your eyes and don't waste your time and money.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to resolve your recent claim to your satisfaction. Should you have any questions or need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had a customer that had their car towed in with a broken timing chain. I started to call in the claim and the recording said that I could do it online. I thought that was a great option. So I proceeded to submit the claim online through their claim submission portal. After 3 days of no response other than a return email saying that my claim had been processed, I decided to just call it in like any other extended warranty that I have used. The girl I spoke said they never received the claim online, but she seemed to know vital information that I sent on the claim.

Then she told me that she had to send me to an adjuster and the wait was 1 1/2 hours and they do not call you back. So if you want to move forward, you must be put on hold. Then she asked me if I wanted to call back... Now why would I do that? So, I was on hold for 53 minutes and they hung up on me. THIS EXTENDED WARRANTY COMPANY IS THE WORST I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH AS A SERVICE ADVISOR. What Service Advisor has the time to spend on hold for 90 minutes? They will not respond to online claim submission and they hang up on you. To all service advisors... BEWARE IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE TO USE THIS COMPANY. It would probably be in your best interest to not even accept them.

American Auto Shield response

American Auto Shield reached out to this reviewer to assist in this matter. Unfortunately, we did not receive a response from the reviewer and are unable to identify the customer.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

As an automotive garage this is the worst warranty company I have ever dealt with. The first day I called 3 different times and I was on the phone on hold for a total of 1 hour and 15 minutes. I called the next morning at 8:15 am and was able to talk to someone right away. They asked me questions that no other company ever did and they said they would only cover one out of five items but they need more information. I brought the car back in and called them back and waited again on hold and they didn't understand what I was telling them. At this point I could have repaired the car for how much phone time I had invested with these people. I called the longtime customer and told him to take the car out of here because I don't have time for this. I will tell everyone that comes in my garage to never deal with American Auto Shield, LLC.

American Auto Shield response

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I will never use this company again, don't cover things like hoses which are very expensive to replace on an F-150. Still waiting on my refund. Took me forever to get customer service to cancel. Had to file a complaint with the BBB.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My car is in the shop now for 7 days for simple radiator change and I keep getting the runaround about the radiator and they can't get the part. I have no idea how long this is going to take. Wish I never would have bought this policy.

Hello Gregory,

We are truly sorry for any delay you encountered during the processing of your claim due to the shipment delay caused by our parts vendor. We hope that we were able to resolve this matter and your claim to your complete satisfaction.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention so that we may address this issue with the parts vendor to ensure that our customers have a better service experience in the future.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM CARCHEX OR AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD. I paid my policy in full a year ago. The first claim was denied because they said it was not approved ahead of the repair being made. A year later, my car needed repairs and I tried for 2 days to get someone on the line. My policy was verified - still active by a representative on the sales press off for their phone number. When I and the shop doing my repairs called to get repairs made we were placed on hold for an extremely long time, it was obvious no one would ever pickup the line. This is my only form of transportation and I missed one day of work and half of the next day until I decided to open a shop credit card, authorize the repairs to be made, and paid for the repairs so I could return to work. I feel this company is a rip off with multiple safeguards to avoid paying ANY claims. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM CARCHEX OR AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD.

Hello Beverly,

We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. Our records indicate two claims were initiated under your contract in 2017, one month apart. The first claim was paid promptly and per the terms of the contract. Unfortunately, the second claim was denied because maintenance related items are specifically excluded from coverage.

Thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions regarding your coverage, please feel free to contact us.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Problem description: American Auto Shield, LLC are scammers and they do illegal activity and fraud. Currently I am sitting on the phone on hold for hours with Alonso ** Customer Service Team Lead who says he is the customer service supervisor and refuses to transfer me to major components departments so that I can speak with a technician who is knowledge about engines and can explain further the videos, pictures they received from Southwest Inspections, Inc. (third-party). Someone finally came to the phone and told me they cannot read the contract to me of what I pay for and how to dispute a claim to read for myself because he is not legally authorized to read.

The 3rd party adjuster took unauthorized photos and videos of my truck. He took pictures of my entire car even the tires and falsified documents. If a customer is submitting services documents for mechanic shops all stating it’s an engine issue what purpose and who gave authorization to take samples and pictures of oil and ties. I didn't authorize it. And Southwest Inspections said they get all their order from AAS and they are independent. The inspector who visited the auto shop had the mechanic shop to sign a paper stating that he came to the shop to inspect the vehicle. Inspector's name Jeff **. After he left the shop the inspector added incorrect point of failure information and checked a check boxes that the mechanic shop did not check saying that the shop and inspector agreed on a point of failure. He checked a box and wrote information after he left the shop that the shop did not approve of and saying they will also sue.

Land Rover and another mechanic shop and AutoZone all looked at my vehicle with the codes and got the engine to a point of failure and said the point of failure is the timing. All certified mechanics agreed it was timing. The only mechanic that didn't was this third-party fraud inspector. Timing which would be covered under the contract. He took no videos or picture. AAS sent a inspector to take a video of something else claiming it was a loose bolt that caused mechanical failure. The repair shop said that is NOT the point of failure and has requested that AAS call them. To explain why what they discussed at the shop was not truthfully wrote down and to explain why a inspector after he left added false claims to the document when he left instead of writing it in front of the mechanics before he signed.

The information was not written on the form before the shop mechanic signed but after the inspector for Southwest Inspections received signature he left the shop and added false information to the report. We have written statements from the mechanic who signed saying the report he has viewed now was not what was presented to him at the shop before signing. So AAS won’t have to cover the true cause of failure because they all are lying and doing illegal things. They are saying it’s a bolt, but 4 other mechanics deny that is the cause of failure. All calls have been recorded. All names of employees I talked to are documented. They keep you on hold a long time, so they can brief each other and tell you the person is in a meeting and place on long wait times. I have screenshots of the length of time from my iPhone and phone records. And I will be having my attorney follow up.

Alonso said "we are denying the claim. Everyone else I transfer you to is going to tell you the same thing." I told him I would like to speak to major comp. He told me they are about to close, and he can’t' transfer me. I called on my other phone and got through to major comp. department myself. While I was left on hold because Alonso didn't want to transfer me because it was 26 minutes to closing (if they respond to me here they can lie. I have him recorded. If they say they don't have an employee by that name I have a email from him.). Everyone lies about their name when asked who you are speaking to. Land Rover put it in the notes that if the engine was taking apart that the parts are not manufactured through them when they said the engine need to be to the point of failure.

We uploaded all the documents. First it was the mileage, then they came back saying they needed more oil change service records to make stronger case even after having the report already. They then said they didn't see any codes. We uploaded the codes. They act like they don't receive emails. Make sure to always bcc someone else because when you submit records they say they haven't received them. Until you say you bcc someone who did receive them. They are all liars and so will pay. When mentioning this and all calls are recorded they said have my legal team call their legal team. I asked how to dispute the claim. They told me they could not tell me and have my legal team find the answer.

Jason told me M in my contract book but didn't want to read it to me. I have all calls recorded on my iPad of how they lie, and they will hear from my legal representative. If they respond back to me here, they are going to try to wiggle their way out, but I recorded calls because I read prior reviews on how many claims they were denying. I was proactive and unlike their other customers I'm taking it all the way. Their LLC is based in Colorado. I asked them to send another inspector to reexamine the vehicle. No answer. All Alonso knows how to say is claim denied. Horrible scam company. They committed fraud. I've been out of my Range Rover 3 weeks. THE ARBITRATION page we are getting familiar with now.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to learn you're not satisfied with your claims service. A representative will reach out to you and/or your repair facility shortly to address your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My car has been in the shop for almost 6 weeks and AAS continues to keep asking for additional information from the shop I took my car to. The shop has provided everything along the way. Once they do, they ask for something else, then something else. It is a continuous process of digging and digging for a reason to void the warranty. Each time to no avail. I work in healthcare and deal with insurance companies who constantly look for ways to deny claims in the hope the patient will pay out of pocket. This is exactly what AAS is trying to do.

The techs have spent several hours dealing with AAS, worked with their adjuster and yet again, not enough. They state they are looking for the issue so they can pay the claim. The shop has told them and showed them the issue. I have provided all of the service work for the history of the car and yet nothing. I would recommend to anyone looking for a car warranty to shop elsewhere. You will never get the customer service you need and more importantly they will give you the runaround when it comes to dealing with your claim. This is beyond a disappointment as any customer who pays for a warranty (AKA insurance) should be able to rely on AAS holding their end of the agreement, not constantly looking for ways to deny.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I purchased their extended warranty (maximum care coverage) for my 2010 Ford Focus 11/06/2014 after my extended warranty (purchased from dealer) expired. I was led to believe that the Maximum Care Coverage policy was QUITE extensive in its coverage! After paying them $2935.00 and having a $100.00 deductible I had a tire pressure sensor fault only to find out that it is NOT covered (nor are ANY electronic components, INCLUDING the main computer)!!! I am left believing that I have purchased a VIRTUALLY USELESS warranty!! Apparently ONLY MECHANICAL failures are covered!! SEALS are NOT covered unless they must be replaced in conjunction with the coinciding mechanical failure repair. In other words if your valve cover gasket is leaking it is NOT covered!! It won't even cover my dead battery!!

Hello Steven,

Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter. Our records indicate you purchased a vehicle service contract from the seller, which provides coverage for major powertrain parts, such as the engine, transmission, cooling system, transfer unit, and drive axle, when a mechanical breakdown or failure occurs. The contract also includes benefits such as roadside, car rental and trip interruption reimbursement. While this contract provides coverage for the major powertrain parts of the vehicle, it does not provide coverage for items such as batteries or electrical components, including the main computer.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Updated on 12/09/2018: Well they contacted me after I complained about the two month wait, now they say that they will return my money because my mileage was incorrect. I ask them to clarify what they mean by mileage and they would not clarify what they meant just that they were canceling my policy and all my cash payments would be returned. This company has caused me to spend over $1,400 in tearing down the engine to where they could have it inspected. After sending me through over several hoops and causing me to spend money, they say it should have been noticed by their people a long time ago and this would have not happened. But that don't help me. They make me spend money trying to figure out whether it was covered by them. I've recorded every conversation since I thought I was getting the runaround.

1. Needed all of the service records done on vehicle. 2. They sent a adjuster out to look at the engine and he needed more details to see what was happening, 38% leak down on cylinders. Wanted to know cause of failure. Need further teardown. They needed to know what lubricated part failed. 3. Next switch injector to see if injector is putting out. End up not being the problem. 4. Need photos of invoices which they already had. So I sent them again. 5. Tear down engine to see what component failed.

Well this is all the runaround that has been going on for the last two months. They were hoping that I would just give up and say forget it. I feel that American Auto Shield and Car Shield need to be checked and held accountable for what they have put me through for the last two months. I'm not done just because they canceled my policy. I will try to shout from the mountain top and do everything to inform others that this is a ripoff. If allowed I will put the correspondence from their underwriters which is all on audio recording so that everyone will know what they put me through and I was paying $168.00 per month for this coverage.

Original Review: I purchased insurance for my vehicle to secure the longevity of my car, which was keep in perfect condition for its year and that was going to be my classic keeper. Since my vehicle was paid for I figured I could invest in a warranty that claimed to be good. After a breakdown I took my car to the BMW dealership to find out what was wrong after having several repairs done. I was informed that my cylinder walls were scarred and that the engine needed to be replaced. I informed them that I had insurance and that they could contact them with my information. American Auto Shield sent someone out to inspect the vehicle and I was told they needed a further tear-down to determine what caused the scarring, the injectors were switched per the adjuster's statement and the problem didn't change upon switching.

Contacting the adjusters they then said the pistons needed to be removed before they could make a determination. The switching of the injectors cost about approx. or more $1,500 and to tear down the engine would cost another $4,000. approx. BMW thinks that they don't want to honor their warranty and will try to find a way out of the repair. It is their opinion that there can be no conclusive reason for the scarring of the cylinder. I'm about to lose my vehicle that I now pay over $165.00 per month to a insurance that won't seem to want to honor my contract. My car has been at the dealership now for 2 months and the claims adjusters keep giving me the runaround.

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely hope that our Manager was able to address your concerns. Should you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Purchased warranty product 2 times. They paid their claims but I found the claims process difficult with stall practices, overall slow to get auto fixed. Check language of policy coverage items carefully.

American Auto Shield expert review by Lauren Fix

Extended coverage for cars, motorcycles, ATVs, dirt bikes and ride-share vehicles. All plans are fully-insured and financially secure. Claims are resolved quickly and fairly.

• Auto coverage: American Auto Shield offers multiple options for auto coverage, including three plans that cover vehicles up to 90,000-150,000 miles, as well as customizable plans where you can choose the parts you wish to have covered. You can also choose a VSC for powertrain coverage on vehicles up to 250,000 miles.

• Claims process: American Auto Shield lets you report a claim, view documents and see your claim status online. Once you file a claim, it goes through a three-step process including the assignment of an adjuster, evaluation at a repair shop and resolution for the claim.

• Reporting a claim: In the event of a mechanical breakdown for failure, a claim can be submitted online by the policyholder or a repair facility. The online reporting form is secure and fast and allows you or the repair facility to upload up to six documents.

• Live-chat: American Auto Shield includes a live-chat feature on its website to assist and answer questions as you fill out the form. Using live-chat eliminates the use of automated call systems and customers being placed on hold for extended periods of time.

• Ride-share coverage: With the demand for ride-share services growing, American Auto Shield has included coverage for customers like Uber and Lyft drivers. Since most VSCs exclude “drive for hire” service vehicles, this gives drivers in this industry an extra layer of financial security.

• Best for: consumers who plan on keeping their vehicles for a long time.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

American Auto Shield Company Information