Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About American Auto Shield

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided vehicle service contracts with a simplified claims process. AAS offers auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders. It also provides access to 24/7 online support and claims filing.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Monthly plans available
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Large number of plans available

Cons

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Bottom Line

American Auto Shield has coverage to satisfy most needs. Although it only works through dealerships, its large number of plans and acceptance of older and higher-mileage cars make it a good option.

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After looking around for a while this was the best deal. The personnel was very helpful and courteous. I would recommend this company to all my friends. They were spot on as to wh...

Verified

... A bad ignition coil was the issue. I let the service manager know I have a contract with American Auto Shield. They called me back 15 mins later saying it’s covered and its pa...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers eight plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan. The Platinum and Deluxe plans both cover named components, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional, customizable coverage packages available.

American Auto Shield also has three options for more moderate coverage. The Aluminum plan offers a mid-level named component coverage, but the Bronze and Tech Plus plans are designed for specialty needs. The Bronze plan offers wrap coverage to complement an existing auto warranty. The Tech Plus plan exclusively covers electronics.

American Auto Shield then has two more basic plans: Powertrain and PT Gold. Powertrain is more affordable, but PT Gold offers more coverage.

PlanType of coverage
    BronzeWrap
    Tech PlusElectronics only
    PT GoldExpanded powertrain
    PowertrainPowertrain

American Auto Shield also offers several levels of mechanical breakdown insurance, which is an insurance product that mimics the function of an extended auto warranty.

American Auto Shield coverage

American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old, which is much older than many companies are willing to cover. The company’s mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also comparatively high.

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicles need repairs. American Auto Shield also offers 24/7 customer service by phone and online chat.

American Auto Shield offers towing coverage of up to $75 per occurrence. Many extended warranty companies offer complimentary towing, though. American Auto Shield’s rental reimbursements are about average at $40 a day for up to four days.

American Auto Shield FAQ

Can you get an American Auto Shield quote online?
    American Auto Shield does not offer the option to get a quote online. However, calling directs you to customer service representatives who can help you get the right warranty plan.
    How do you file claims with American Auto Shield warranty?
    Customers or repair companies can call American Auto Shield to work on a claim. On the company’s website, there is a link to report a claim and upload supporting documents. Users can view claim history, status, milestones and payments when logged into their accounts online.
    Are American Auto Shield warranties transferable?
    Yes, you can transfer American Auto Shield warranties to a private party if you are trading in or selling your vehicle. Warranties can only be transferred from person to person and not to an auctioneer or dealership. This means you won’t necessarily waste money if you decide to sell before the end of your warranty. Also, transferring an extended warranty can increase the resale value of your vehicle.

Is American Auto Shield legit?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with higher mileage. Its additional benefits leave something to be desired, but the company’s wide array of coverage options means many customers are able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield can cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

To open the sliding door on my Honda Odyssey, you pullout on the handle. When I do that, It seems, at first, to have a motor that tries, but door doesn't open. Instead, it makes a loud cracking sound--holding back or balking--with sharp loud noises. And finally after about the third attempt, the door opens. Then, the phone message was cut off before finally finishing the call. I tried to call back several times but no answer. She had just told me to have my mechanic call back at this number to give the diagnostics: 800-531-1925. Then our conversation was cut off. So the next day I called back to be sure this was reported. And that person was caring and helpful, affirming that my mechanic should call the same number next Wednesday when he does the diagnostics. I am Carol ** at **.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I took my 2008 Nissan Frontier to the dealership in El Paso, Tx, for a maintenance check. They found that the drive train was about to go out. I checked my coverage with CarShield and found out that the drive train was in fact part of the engine which was part of my coverage with carshield. An employee of the dealership and I made the call to carshield to see if they would cover the repairs on my truck. The response did take about 3 days, but was approved and the work was done. The payment to the dealership was quick and I was only responsible for the deductible. I was happy with the overall experience with carshield. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I called in to verify my account and coverage. I spoke with Kiara, she was great, respectful, polite, know and helpful. I had a horrible experience with another coverage company National Dealer service. They were trying to get me to switch my extended warranty. Kiara got me the info I needed, and help me set up access to my account online and without speaking negative about the other company assure me I was right to stay with your company... I felt so much better after speaking with her today... Thank you Kiara for listening and all the great customer service and support and Thank you Carshield for Kiara. She is a great representation of your company... Now let's hope all is well when I finally use the services.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I contacted CarShield on Tuesday March 9th and was connected to Jordan who answered all of my questions and was very knowledgeable about CarShield's products. I asked him to call me back later in the day as I had to follow up with some other vendors. Jordan called me back and I advised him that I was going to my Chevy Dealer and that I might trade in my Equinox for a new one. I asked him to call me back Wednesday afternoon and he did as requested. That is when I decided to go with CarShield because Jordan did a great job in his review of your product and with is his followup calls as I had requested.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

S/O to Juliette who is a representative from Car Shield who took the time to address my concern and resolved my question when I called yesterday on 2/26/21. I was completely satisfied and she was able to have my monthly payment due date adjusted in order for me to organize my financial obligations to what’s best for me. A friend of mine is in the market of buying a car soon so I’ll definitely will be recommending Car Shield to him. Since I have a decent social media following over 20k views on Snapchat for every story I post I’ll post one today saying whoever doesn’t have car warranty coverage needs to sign up with Car Shield and ask for Juliette. Tell her Earth’s Finest Emcee sent you.???? Thank you Juliette and thanks for the laughter pronouncing my last name!!?? #TruShoutout on Saturdays with DrewB® on #Snapchat???

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Let me start with saying that this business: American Auto Shield and it's system company Carshield is a scam, a ponzi scheme, a bait and switch scheme. Any of the customer that is making any type of payments should stop the payments now and ask for their money back. This complaint is about claim #**, 2017 Ford F350 with a gold package from carshield (with a clause included in the payment for personal/business/commercial use).

The claim started on 9/24/2021, since then all the requested records/files were submitted, records from the service department about a high pressure pump failed, records going back 12 months, even records going back 4 years in an attempt to find something to deny a $11000 repair claim, restarting clock every time a new document was submitted to them. Service department at Jack Kane ford (in person of miss abbey ** - great person, that went above in beyond with this case) submitted all the necessary information, recommends the high pressure pump and the diesel lines and system to be replaced, even got a call from mr. Mark the main adjuster from AAS (3 adjusters were changed for this claim). Informed that the claim is pre-aproval and awaiting another department to review it.

Aas is milking the clock, still didn't inform me about what is going on and requests records and files of over 4 years old. It is 10/18/2021 and no calls or any type of communication from aas about what is the status of the claim. Aas is investing time and any effort in trying to deny the claim instead of getting their portion covered and move this repair. It's almost a month since the vehicle is at the repair facility.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Car has spent 12 days in shop, still waiting for approval for repairs. Seems repair center and Carshield approvers have issues communicating. I have had to become a middle man for information between them. This is not the way I understood this was suppose to work. This problem needs to be fixed and my car repaired.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I am hoping my Jeep Issues are COVERED by my Extended Warranty! My praises for AAS will be great if that ever happens! Although Customer Service is GREAT I am still waiting for the Repairs to get done! It is no fault of AAS! The Dealer has to take the first step so I guess we will see... EVENTUALLY! I am hoping for the BEST! Thanks to all of the AAS Employees who have been so helpful to me! You're all doing a very good job!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Contacted Customer service and spoke with Laura who provided the most outstanding customer service and she was able in helping, calming and she explained in detail the process of filing a claim. Thank you, Laura.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Very outstanding, dependable, trustworthy, honest business who can have someone get the car fixed in a matter of time. Not take such a long long time to get things done. Thank you. God bless. Have a great day.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

American Auto Shield Company Information