It's that easy Get a Free Quote
2.96/5
Based on 80 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

124 American Auto Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My car has been in the shop for almost 6 weeks and AAS continues to keep asking for additional information from the shop I took my car to. The shop has provided everything along the way. Once they do, they ask for something else, then something else. It is a continuous process of digging and digging for a reason to void the warranty. Each time to no avail. I work in healthcare and deal with insurance companies who constantly look for ways to deny claims in the hope the patient will pay out of pocket. This is exactly what AAS is trying to do.

The techs have spent several hours dealing with AAS, worked with their adjuster and yet again, not enough. They state they are looking for the issue so they can pay the claim. The shop has told them and showed them the issue. I have provided all of the service work for the history of the car and yet nothing. I would recommend to anyone looking for a car warranty to shop elsewhere. You will never get the customer service you need and more importantly they will give you the runaround when it comes to dealing with your claim. This is beyond a disappointment as any customer who pays for a warranty (AKA insurance) should be able to rely on AAS holding their end of the agreement, not constantly looking for ways to deny.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I purchased their extended warranty (maximum care coverage) for my 2010 Ford Focus 11/06/2014 after my extended warranty (purchased from dealer) expired. I was led to believe that the Maximum Care Coverage policy was QUITE extensive in its coverage! After paying them $2935.00 and having a $100.00 deductible I had a tire pressure sensor fault only to find out that it is NOT covered (nor are ANY electronic components, INCLUDING the main computer)!!! I am left believing that I have purchased a VIRTUALLY USELESS warranty!! Apparently ONLY MECHANICAL failures are covered!! SEALS are NOT covered unless they must be replaced in conjunction with the coinciding mechanical failure repair. In other words if your valve cover gasket is leaking it is NOT covered!! It won't even cover my dead battery!!

Hello Steven,

Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter. Our records indicate you purchased a vehicle service contract from the seller, which provides coverage for major powertrain parts, such as the engine, transmission, cooling system, transfer unit, and drive axle, when a mechanical breakdown or failure occurs. The contract also includes benefits such as roadside, car rental and trip interruption reimbursement. While this contract provides coverage for the major powertrain parts of the vehicle, it does not provide coverage for items such as batteries or electrical components, including the main computer.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Updated on 12/09/2018: Well they contacted me after I complained about the two month wait, now they say that they will return my money because my mileage was incorrect. I ask them to clarify what they mean by mileage and they would not clarify what they meant just that they were canceling my policy and all my cash payments would be returned. This company has caused me to spend over $1,400 in tearing down the engine to where they could have it inspected. After sending me through over several hoops and causing me to spend money, they say it should have been noticed by their people a long time ago and this would have not happened. But that don't help me. They make me spend money trying to figure out whether it was covered by them. I've recorded every conversation since I thought I was getting the runaround.

1. Needed all of the service records done on vehicle. 2. They sent a adjuster out to look at the engine and he needed more details to see what was happening, 38% leak down on cylinders. Wanted to know cause of failure. Need further teardown. They needed to know what lubricated part failed. 3. Next switch injector to see if injector is putting out. End up not being the problem. 4. Need photos of invoices which they already had. So I sent them again. 5. Tear down engine to see what component failed.

Well this is all the runaround that has been going on for the last two months. They were hoping that I would just give up and say forget it. I feel that American Auto Shield and Car Shield need to be checked and held accountable for what they have put me through for the last two months. I'm not done just because they canceled my policy. I will try to shout from the mountain top and do everything to inform others that this is a ripoff. If allowed I will put the correspondence from their underwriters which is all on audio recording so that everyone will know what they put me through and I was paying $168.00 per month for this coverage.

Original Review: I purchased insurance for my vehicle to secure the longevity of my car, which was keep in perfect condition for its year and that was going to be my classic keeper. Since my vehicle was paid for I figured I could invest in a warranty that claimed to be good. After a breakdown I took my car to the BMW dealership to find out what was wrong after having several repairs done. I was informed that my cylinder walls were scarred and that the engine needed to be replaced. I informed them that I had insurance and that they could contact them with my information. American Auto Shield sent someone out to inspect the vehicle and I was told they needed a further tear-down to determine what caused the scarring, the injectors were switched per the adjuster's statement and the problem didn't change upon switching.

Contacting the adjusters they then said the pistons needed to be removed before they could make a determination. The switching of the injectors cost about approx. or more $1,500 and to tear down the engine would cost another $4,000. approx. BMW thinks that they don't want to honor their warranty and will try to find a way out of the repair. It is their opinion that there can be no conclusive reason for the scarring of the cylinder. I'm about to lose my vehicle that I now pay over $165.00 per month to a insurance that won't seem to want to honor my contract. My car has been at the dealership now for 2 months and the claims adjusters keep giving me the runaround.

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely hope that our Manager was able to address your concerns. Should you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Purchased warranty product 2 times. They paid their claims but I found the claims process difficult with stall practices, overall slow to get auto fixed. Check language of policy coverage items carefully.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have been a customer for well over a year. I purchased their powertrain plus warranty which states that my AC compressor was covered. When I took my 2006 Dodge Ram to my preferred repair facility, they called AAS to report leakage coming from the front of the compressor. The adjuster from AAS told the service advisor that gaskets and seals were not covered thus immediately denied the claim. My technician called me to give me the news, but was troubled to hear that the adjuster assumed that the cause of the leak were seals because the compressor would have needed to be taken apart to make that determination (which the technician didn’t do).

In summary, just because a warranty claims a part such as a compressor is covered, the devil is in the fine print details. I called AAS and learned that the claims adjuster documented the cause as a leaking seal which states that the repair facility told them it was (which wasn’t true). In disgust, I canceled my coverage; the adjuster made no attempt to make it right nor try to suggest that the compressor be taken apart to see if the compressor can be covered under the warranty. He simply just canceled the coverage.

You’re likely better off just opening a savings account, depositing whatever rate you’re quoted each month and you’ll very likely have enough money to cover issues when they arise. I know I would have as I calculated $1500 would have been in my savings account which was more than enough to cover the $880 repair bill. Sorry AAS, you just lost yourself a potential lifelong customer.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. A member of our Claims Team has reached out to both you and your repair facility to assist you with a resolution.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I was accepted and given a great deal on an extended warranty for my car. This completely made my day. I am going to recommend them to my friends and family. I don't have anxiety planning a trip to visit a friend of mine who lives 5 hours away from me.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

After receiving and reviewing my contract, I've found that it covers basically nothing. They have given themselves numerous ways to deny any claim. For example: If your car has ever had a factory recall, (whether you owned the vehicle at that time or not) and it wasn't taken in and fixed, they can get out of paying for any repairs. This is a very dishonest company, stealing money from hard-working people.

Hello Mary,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. American Auto Shield has been in business for over 16 years, and we have paid millions in covered vehicle service contract claims for our customers. To clarify the terms of your contract, items that are a result of a defect that the vehicle manufacturer has announced as their responsibility to correct by a public recall, technical service bulletin or special policy are not covered by the service contract because the cost of any replacement part or repair for the recalled item is covered by the vehicle manufacturer.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding your service contract coverage, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. A Customer Service Specialist will be happy to assist you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have had an extended warranty plan with American Auto Shield for 5 years, my agent was great with explaining every detail to me and happy to answer any questions I might have. More than anything is that everything was exactly what he told me it would be. Therefore I had no surprises! Also, not every dealership welcomes the idea of an extended warranty. In fact, in my experience, they hate that you have one and try to give you a hard time, but the folks at American Auto Shield have been very helpful with stepping in and assisting if and when I needed them to. So now that I have the option to renew my contract, I'm happy to do so because they have saved me over $2000 in out of pocket expense and have been nothing but patient, friendly and professional. Yes, the plans can be expensive in the long run but definitely worth it! I highly recommend them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

It felt like it was going to be a good choice but I also had that doubt so when I called to cancel my subscription I was given the runaround put on hold and ultimately talked into keeping my membership for at least 30 days. On the 30th day I called to cancel. But then was told that my 30 day trial was over and was charged full price! And had a balance left owing! Spoke to several different people and was Never able to speak with Jake ** again! He who sold me this package and reassured me that I could contact him at any time! That never happened! Now to get my refund of what they already charged, I must send in a cancellation letter, so that my car will no longer be charged and that my refund will be put back on it as I was told by the 55th & last person I spoke to. This place is a Scam! Beware! And get ready for the runaround and by speaking to the original person that you spoke with again.

Hello Elisha,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns and to assist you in this matter. You did not contact or speak with American Auto Shield regarding the sale or cancellation of your vehicle service contract. Instead, you contacted and spoke with the seller of your contract, located in Missouri. American Auto Shield, located in Colorado, is the claims administrator of the contract you purchased from the seller. Furthermore, American Auto Shield does not process cancellations for the seller or issue any applicable refunds for such cancellations.

With that said, we are sorry to learn you did not have a positive customer service experience with the seller of your service contract. As a courtesy, we forwarded your concerns to the seller for their review and response. Per their October 23, 2018, correspondence, a full refund will be issued to you this week.

We sincerely hope we’ve helped to assist you with this matter and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I was concerned at first due to the fact that I felt like I might be getting the runaround. This was not the case. They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim. They paid it and even covered things I wasn’t sure they would without hassle. I originally gave them a two star but want to upgrade it to a five. Thank you Auto Shield.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I purchased an extended warranty for my BMW M5 following a very expensive repair I had to do on the transmission. 4 months after getting the warranty I experienced a catastrophic engine failure (rod bearings toast). So then the claim process began. To summarize: It took FOUR weeks for them to get an answer and ultimately they denied my claim due to a transmission clutch upgrade that was installed rather than putting in a stock BMW clutch kit that could just fail again, The follow up during the claim process was horrible, I always had to call or the shop call to check in... then spend 30 mins to an hour plus on the phone tossing from person to person just to get nowhere. I’m so furious that they denied my claim over something totally unrelated to the issue at hand. Buyer beware!!! Do NOT buy this warranty.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We regret that we were not able to resolve your recent claim to your satisfaction and for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Unfortunately, modified vehicles are specifically excluded from coverage per the terms of your service contract. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was completely happy with American Auto Shield. The A/C quit all together. I called American Auto Shield and they gave me a case number. I brought my car to Philpott Toyota. They found several problems. Phillpot called American Auto Shield. An inspector came and agreed with the findings. My car was fixed and I was totally happy with the repairs on my car. I thank you. I have already told my friends how happy I am with my American Auto Shield. Thank you very much!

Hello Joan,

You’re very welcome! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We’re delighted to read you’re happy with your vehicle service contract and claims service. Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

After verifying I had a claim started I was told they didn't have the service records we sent so I checked and I called again with the fax report to prove they had been received that morning. I was on hold for 35 minutes and that is when I got concerned, after another 10 minutes they said they checked and just received them. Now they need to have the head pulled and send someone to inspect it. I felt like I was getting the run around so about that time I got nervous and started reading these reviews. I notice all of American Shield responses take no responsibility for what is sold and they repeatedly say basically is that we did tell you that was covered or sell you the plan. Seems like all the replies say the same thing but don't resolve anything. They just wish you the best of luck and thank you. I hope I can come back with good news. I just feel like they look for anything not to honor your problem.

Hello Paulette,

We appreciate your feedback and hope that our representatives were able to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. We want to apologize for the hold time you experienced as we have recently experienced higher than normal call volumes. We are working to resolve this matter and regret any inconvenience it may have caused.

Much like filing an automobile accident claim, the vehicle service contract claims process sometimes includes an inspection of the vehicle. Assigning an independent inspector to inspect and document the cause of failure to the vehicle enables your Claims Adjuster to determine coverage and evaluate your claim for authorization.

Because American Auto Shield does not sell service contracts, we are unable to address specific concerns regarding companies not owned by and representatives not employed by American Auto Shield. However, we do forward any customer concerns regarding sales, cancellations, refunds, etc., to the seller to ensure the customer’s concerns are properly addressed.

We hope that we were able to address your concerns to your satisfaction, and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us. Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I took my car to BMW and was told that my vehicle was in need of a radiator replacement, hose that is a part of the radiator and 2 additional parts replaced. The 2 additional parts weren’t covered. Fine, no problem however, the radiator is covered but the hose is not covered. Correction, a BMW hose is not covered but an off brand is covered. Fine. The American Shield personnel told BMW to have me call and confirm that I would accept the off-market hose. I told him that’s fine, then BMW went on to say that the radiator was approved and that it would be shipped from autozone that same day, actually, it was Friday, September 14, 2018. They don’t provide rental cars, they supposedly reimburse you.

BMW called me on Saturday and said that they still hadn’t received. BMW called me on Monday, yesterday and said that they still hadn’t received and they told me that they called and were on hold with American Shield for 1 hour and guess what, today is Tuesday and BMW still doesn’t have the radiator and the BMW rep said he called and was told, by American Auto Shield that he doesn’t know what’s going on with the part. Meanwhile, I’m without my vehicle and no rental car and I’ve missed work since Friday. Beware! This company clearly doesn’t care. Cancel before you have a problem. Find a company that is considerate of their customers.

Hello Janine,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to resolve this matter. We’re sorry to learn there was a delay in receiving the part necessary to repair your vehicle. We hope our representative was able to address any concerns you may have and that waiving your deductible and offering rental reimbursement aided in resolving this matter to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback and for allowing us the opportunity to provide you with a better customer service experience. Should you need any additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Very happy with knowledge & courtesy of 3 customer service reps so far. Very happy with service provided & value for my monthly payment. Not happy about length of time on phone to get things cleared. Mechanic was so frustrated that he won't call again, so I have to find a new repair shop.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Just called and filed a claim after I have been out of town for work... and told I will not receive an AC repair because I was pre-existing... which is untrue. I’m driving in 90 degree weather and need a solution... I’m a single father and don’t want my young 4 year old in a hot car. Please let me know other options besides no.

Hello Martell,

We’re sorry to learn you were not satisfied with your claims service and hope that today our representative was able to address any concerns you may have had regarding your coverage. As explained, we are unable to administer payment for claims initiated during the waiting period specified in your contract. With that said, if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding your coverage, please feel free to reach out to us. One of our Customer Service Specialists will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The folks I did talk with, were very nice and knew what they were talking about. I like that. Some places you call and get shuffled to four or five different place before you get to whom you need to talk to. By that time you forget what you called about.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Tried to cancel my contract within the 30 day period, was informed I had to do that in writing within 8 days including the weekend, if not received in that time frame no refund, I was canceling due the fact they misrepresented the service, I have a 2002 Chevy Impala with 70,000 miles and is in as new condition worth around 4000-5000, when I received my contract in the mail and reading through it, it stated they would only cover the amount of repair up to the trade in amount the blue book states, which in my case was 1650.00 and going down every year (I had a 4yr+ 66,000 more miles of coverage) for a total cost of 2993.00 so I called them and they said, "No. That wasn't correct" that everything was cover in the premium plan I had, but I reading the fine print I honestly don't believe them.

All they did was try to talk me into trying to keep it. I sent my letter in and there is a 75.00 cancellation fee (of course there is right). So long story short they are keeping my down payment and I'll be referring all my communication emails, audio recording to the attorney general for their review. My advice is to record all your conversations with these scammers.

Hello Ronald,

We’re sorry to learn that you weren’t satisfied with the company you spoke with regarding the purchase and subsequent cancellation of your service contract administered by American Auto Shield. Please be advised that American Auto Shield did not communicate with you regarding either the sale or the cancellation of this service contract. However, and as a courtesy, we have forwarded your concerns to the seller and the company you communicated with for their review and response.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I received a scary official looking, disturbing letter with a bold 72pt large font warning stating that my vehicle warranty was about to expire and urged me to call immediately. Although I told the person multiple times that I did not want the insurance, he would not stop insisting and would not let me off the phone until his sale was made. I called to cancel shortly in April 2014 after receiving their materials, but as I called, the representative would not honor my cancellation, making it difficult for me to cancel, conned with scare tactics into forcefully keeping the insurance that I did not want or need. I was in communication with Mr. Doug ** who seemed less than interested by the UDAAP violation I presented to him, or to resolve the company scam.

November 2017, I called after receiving multiple negative responses from Mr **. I Spoke with a representative who was extremely rude about the situation, he then began to sell me the insurance once again. After an hour of him talking and explaining why I should keep the insurance and me stating firm in "No" he transferred me to his supervisor who began the sales tactics and rudeness as I requested to be cancelled and be refunded, he demanded that I sent a letter requesting refund, which I sent right after ending that call. Today it has been about 9 months since that call. I still have not received a refund for the total amount that I was scammed for. Contract **.

Hello Cesar,

Please be advised that Carsure, the company from whom you purchased your service contract, handles cancellations and refunds for the contracts they sell. As a courtesy, we have reached out to Carsure on your behalf and have asked them to contact you to address your concerns directly.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Repair Jeep Gr Cherokee 2005 - First time use of policy. Was just told I needed someone from CARCHEX to look at the car before work was ok'd. No one told me they need to see it first when I called. After paying for plan want to use it. I was told to get a bid and we did from the Jeep dealer. This car is in good condition and I want to drive it for many years now that I am retired. Hopeful this will come to a good conclusion.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My Ford Fusion died at a turn lane on busy highway where speed limit is 65 mph. Just had vehicle inspection done 2 months prior. This car sends me health reports. I waited off highway and tried starting it 2 more times. It started and I got off highway. Ford mechanic says internal water pump broke and ruined the engine. It sends coolant into engine and broken parts. American Auto Shield says I'm negligent in driving my car after it died, to get off highway where I waited for tow truck. I should of stayed on highway, obstructing traffic I guess.

I need new engine and they will only cover water pump. My car has been in shop for a week now and after several calls from mechanic and me they finally sent an authorization to pay only for water pump. Takes forever to talk with claims department, on hold for 20 minutes and to get any work started. The mechanic is even fed up with them! I will only buy warranty from Ford from now on, as I recommend any of you to do instead of these 3rd party companies.

Hello Denise,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry that we were unable to resolve your recent claim to your complete satisfaction and for any inconvenience this may have caused. When anyone’s vehicle experiences a breakdown, safety should be his or her first concern. Drivers should get the vehicle to a safe place by pulling over and out of traffic, if possible. Additionally, drivers should only exit a vehicle if it is necessary or safe to do so. Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This is the third time I have tried to use this policy only to find that the required work is not covered. \The representative was courteous and efficient. She reviewed the coverage with me. This policy only covers the BIG stuff. My fault for not reading carefully. This is expensive coverage for powertrain only. There are many restrictions. Let the buyer beware. Read it carefully.

Hello Thea,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re pleased to know our representative was courteous and efficient and that your experience was positive. We’re sorry that your contract did not provide coverage for your vehicle’s recent issue, but should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I was very concerned about the cost to repair my car and really did not know what to do. She was patient kind and very knowledgeable. I really appreciated her. This is my very first experience with your company and I must say, first impression have made me a believer in you. Her name was Eawwma, not sure of spelling,

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 24, 2018

My parents are in their 70’s & purchased a warranty for several thousand dollars. It was sold to them as something they could count on & provide security when it came to potential repairs they might need down the road. BUT when they attempted to file a claim (even with the assistance of the repair shop) they either sat on hold for HOURS or got the runaround about what was needed to proceed with the claim because they would submit documentation then be told they needed something else - REPEATEDLY!!! This has gone on for MONTHS!!!

My parents are on a limited income & American Auto Shield took them to the cleaners because this so called warranty has been WORTHLESS!!! Makes you question the validity of the “glowing” reviews as they could be American Auto Shield employees trying to suck in more innocent victims! We’ve contacted the Kansas Insurance Commissioner’s office & are flooding our social media with the story of our family’s experience. We’re also discussing the merits of bringing legal action with a family friend who just happens to be an attorney. Signed one VERY dissatisfied customer!!! P.S. - Consumer Affairs required I assign at least one star as a rating - but it should have allowed ZERO!!!

Original review: July 19, 2018

Use American Auto Shield for both our cars. Made repair claims on my wife's car and had no problems with the payment settlements. So far value for peace on mind as we do drive far afield on vacations.

Original review: July 18, 2018

My vehicle had NO oil pressure and also needed a new radiator. They sent out a person to inspect the car at my mechanic. This was 2 weeks ago and I and my mechanic have been going back and forth with them and they just string you along!! I was told yesterday with my mechanic on a 3 way phone call that someone would get back to me today by 12 noon! Guess what. NO CALL!!! No resolution! I fought with them on the phone tonight to no avail. They lied about several things and put words in your mouth that you never said!!! I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER CAR WARRANTY! My mechanic said that they are a waste of money. I also had to rent a car for the past 2 weeks which as we all know is not cheap, cost me over $400!! I am done with this company!! I wish I would have known this sooner! Anybody who gives them a good rating is crazy!! PEOPLE BEWARE! I see now that there are tons of complaints with this company and I see why!

Hello Robert,

We regret that you aren’t satisfied with your claims service and for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. We value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. We forwarded your concerns to our Claims Department and look forward to resolving this matter as quickly as possible.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Great customer service, speedy service. I will recommend American Auto Shield to everyone. This was my 1st time using the coverage and I didn't understand. The rep took the time to explain. Very helpful.

Hello Degwanda,

We’re delighted to read you were satisfied with your claims service! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and for being an American Auto Shield customer!

Original review: July 15, 2018

The dealership submitted claim to AAS ADMINISTRATOR on Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 that the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S a/c compressor and component parts needed to be replaced due to clutch assembly and housing breakdown. Serpentine Belt sustained fray damage to belt edging. Keith had the auto at dealership, Thursday, July 5th, 2018 for a/c service due to hot air blowing and also noted the fan belt began to fray from outer edges to center, too! But, back to dealers, 6 days later, Wednesday, July 11th, 2018... diagnosed a/c compressor failure, Serpentine Belt frayed from damaged a/c compressor.

Well. The process of shipping/receiving very slow. Dealer service advisor recommends to contact companies and networking then began. The customer virtually eliminates the dealer's service advisor's position! Too much legwork I need to do and still anticipating more! Today, Saturday, July 14th, 2018 and still no air conditioning! Oh, well...! Here we go again, more money, time and customer satisfaction issues.

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you aren’t satisfied with your claims service and for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We have forwarded your concerns to our Claims Department and look forward to resolving this matter as quickly as possible.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 10, 2018

Well first claim was denied because I was 54 miles away from the 1,000 initial miles. Second claim denied because they said I only have a powertrain warranty. When I called to buy contract I asked for the top of the line one that covers everything. Cost me almost $4 grand. Now I am way over 2,000 miles and my engine valve cover gasket is leaking engine oil. They tell me it's not covered part. My seal on my windshield wiper pump is leaking, they said it's not covered. My computerized tire monitoring system is failing on my BMW 335i, they said it's not covered. I will be canceling my contract as soon as I can and contacting my attorney about the hidden red tape and false claims when you purchase something online or over the phone but get a contract in the mail that's totally opposite. Very dissatisfied.

Hello Bobby,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret that we were not able to resolve your claims to your complete satisfaction, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. While we do not like to deny claims, claims initiated during the waiting period specified on your declaration page and repairs for pre-existing conditions are specifically excluded from coverage per the terms of the contract you purchased. Additionally, AAS is unable to administer claim payment for parts not listed as covered or explicitly excluded from coverage by the contract.

As a courtesy, we forwarded your concerns regarding the purchase of your coverage to the seller of your contract. A review of the sales call indicated the seller’s representative described the main components listed as covered by the contract. The review did not find that the representative indicated the contract covers all repairs to the vehicle; however, we sincerely apologize on behalf of the seller for any misunderstanding and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I was impressed by this new car services that help reduce the high cost of repairs, provides ease of mind knowing the company will take care of the issues (i,e, claims, repairs, etc), doing the works for us at a reduced or discounted rate.

American Auto Shield expert review by Lauren Fix

Extended coverage for cars, motorcycles, ATVs, dirt bikes and ride-share vehicles. All plans are fully-insured and financially secure. Claims are resolved quickly and fairly.

• Auto coverage: American Auto Shield offers multiple options for auto coverage, including three plans that cover vehicles up to 90,000-150,000 miles, as well as customizable plans where you can choose the parts you wish to have covered. You can also choose a VSC for powertrain coverage on vehicles up to 250,000 miles.

• Claims process: American Auto Shield lets you report a claim, view documents and see your claim status online. Once you file a claim, it goes through a three-step process including the assignment of an adjuster, evaluation at a repair shop and resolution for the claim.

• Reporting a claim: In the event of a mechanical breakdown for failure, a claim can be submitted online by the policyholder or a repair facility. The online reporting form is secure and fast and allows you or the repair facility to upload up to six documents.

• Live-chat: American Auto Shield includes a live-chat feature on its website to assist and answer questions as you fill out the form. Using live-chat eliminates the use of automated call systems and customers being placed on hold for extended periods of time.

• Ride-share coverage: With the demand for ride-share services growing, American Auto Shield has included coverage for customers like Uber and Lyft drivers. Since most VSCs exclude “drive for hire” service vehicles, this gives drivers in this industry an extra layer of financial security.

• Best for: consumers who plan on keeping their vehicles for a long time.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

American Auto Shield Company Information