2.68/5
Based on 65 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 17, 2018

92 American Auto Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2018

AAS has done nothing but give me trouble, headaches, problems, and complications when it came to covering my Volvo C30. In total, they have covered less than 10% of what they told me was going to be coverable, but apparently I missed the 3-point font on the "contract" that everything was actually not covered -- very clever.

They have caused my Volvo to be at the already terrible Volvo dealership for 6 weeks now due to their miserable level of communication and their inspectors who clearly have no value for people's time and take 3 weeks to make it out somewhere. Not to mention they decided to charge me two deductibles on claims that happened ONE DAY apart. Zero stars would be too many. Please, save yourself tremendous stress and never use this company hidden behind "oh we don't actually do this" and "we're just the ____," which is a complete smoke and mirrors play and exhibits no level of customer service or retention. They don't deserve any more customers.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 9, 2018

I had a breakdown on the weekend. My coolant fan broke apart and the parts cut my radiator. I took it to a major service center and had to give them permission to fix the car as no one was available because of it being a weekend. I called on Monday morning to file claim and was told the fan that caused damage to radiator was not covered so the radiator was not covered either. My entire bill was 14443.17. The entire claim was denied and was not negotiated, sorry. This company has loopholes and other than taking your money they stand behind nothing. I suggest you get out of your contract as soon as possible. To get out of the contract and receive a prorated refund takes another act of Congress. I am very very dissatisfied and hope to save someone else my misery.

Hello Teresa,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry your vehicle experienced a breakdown that was not covered by your contract, and we sincerely apologize that you weren’t happy with the outcome of your claim. As stated in the service contract you purchased, mechanical breakdown or failures of covered parts damaged by non-covered parts are excluded from coverage.

As a claims administrator for over 15 years, American Auto Shield has administered millions in claim payments. However, we are obligated to adjudicate claims per the terms of the contract, and we are unable to administer payment for parts not listed as covered or explicitly excluded from coverage by the contract.

Thank you, again, for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. We’re sorry that we weren’t able to resolve your recent claim to your satisfaction, but should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding your coverage or claim, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 3, 2018

Went from Leonard to Jacquline, to Payton who gave me the runaround. I requested that the contract be canceled on April 3rd. "O dear. Your car motor will blow up then what will you do?" I told her I wanted to cancel now and I am in a hurry. "I can call you back," Payton said. "No cancel it now." "What if the motor blows up?" "I will handle it". I told her it is within the time period and she still played this game of what if the motor blows up? Why do you want to cancel she said? "Because I have seen so many bad reviews right here on Consumer Affairs." Where did you see these reviews? We are a good company and cannot understand why you want to cancel. Tell me why you want to cancel."

"What if the car engine blows up?" She asked me that a lot of times. Please cancel the contract. Please cancel the contract I kept telling her. She still hassled me about canceling that is when I told her I would get my husband on the phone. FYI my husband died years ago. But she kept right on going, "Why do you want to cancel? Car motor blow up, What happens if you are on the road and there is a problem?" Very bad company to have in your life. Put the money in bank for when you need a repair.

Hello Rosalyn,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. Our records indicate that on April 3, 2018, an American Auto Shield representative, Leonard, referred you to the seller of your service contract, Carshield, regarding your cancellation request, as is procedure. The representatives mentioned in your review, Jacqueline and Payton, are not employees or representatives of American Auto Shield. As a courtesy, we have forwarded your concerns to the seller of the service contract and the company you spoke with regarding cancellation, Carshield. We apologize on their behalf for any inconvenience you experienced.

Our records indicate your contract has been cancelled. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that we have satisfactorily addressed your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 29, 2018

If I could give them less than 1 star I would! At least they are consistent with two things, collecting money & "the run around". My truck has been in the shop for 23 days & they still have not authorized the repairs. Today I tried to have them conference my shop & I to review the amount they were authorizing but the adjuster. Barry told me he wasn't going to waste 15-20 minutes waiting for his supervisor to issue a payment code. Every time I call I get a different story than what is being told to my shop. My policy did not come until after they collected my initial payment, had it come earlier I would have never signed up.

I have called the servicing company Carchex & got nothing but attitude. Nothing like being talked to like you're an idiot, thanks Sharon! My mechanic won't warranty the repairs because instead of fixing the problem they are going out the "cheapest way" with aftermarket parts, isn't that right Mark? I have talked to countless reps from both the initial company Carchex & the administrator AAS but none of them will do what is right by the customer. They have tried to play me against my mechanic & vice versa.

Today their inspector admitted that the motor should be replaced based on metal shavings being found in the oil pan but his supervisor disagrees. I will now have to pay out of pocket to have my truck repaired the correct way. They won't even agree to pay for OEM parts. If you need a rental, guess again because they won't give you one until THEY have inspected & approved your claim. Then they will only give you $160 in coverage which will expire while they give you more "run around". Oh, good luck getting them to call you back! Today I was told I was lucky that Barry was working overtime & that he was supposed to leave at 3 pm. Gee thanks! WORST SERVICE IN MY LIFE!

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for your correspondence and for your patience as we reviewed your concerns. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service, but we hope we’ve since resolved your claim to your satisfaction. Please know that we value your feedback, and we apologize if you felt you were treated in a manner less than professional at any time during the claims process. We have performed a complete review of your claim and any calls associated with it and have reached out privately to address each of your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 26, 2018

I purchased the gold warranty package for my 2008 BMW. The adjuster finds parts online from Autozone so you don't get OEM parts unless you pay the difference. Who can afford to pay the difference when you're paying them monthly. My car needed a water pump and thermostat. They tell you to find a shop that allows you to send in your own parts. WOW so they can send them from Autozone.

Here is the kicker. When you go to buy a used high end car you're not getting OEM parts in that car but these car lots still sell them at top dollars because of the name BMW, Jaguar, r Mercedes range rover. These cars are not worth crap with Autozone parts in them. Because of companies like this imagine buying your used dream car that cost a lot of money but all the parts under the hood are from Autozone. If they are going to stoop that low they might as well buy them from Amazon since they don't want to pay out. Each one of my repairs I pay out 4X as much as they do.

Hello Jay,

Your feedback is important to us, and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your experience. As an initial matter, please note that American Auto Shield is not a payment plan company, and we do not accept monthly payments from customers. American Auto Shield is the claims administrator of the service contract you purchased from the seller, Cartection.

We’re sorry to learn you aren’t satisfied with your coverage and claims service thus far. American Auto Shield utilizes reputable nationwide parts vendors to administer claims per the terms of the contract you purchased. Our records indicate that one year into coverage, your contract has provided almost $8,000 in coverage for multiple breakdown and roadside assistance claims. We strive to provide excellent customer service, and we hope your experiences with our representatives throughout the claims process were positive.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 20, 2018

I am not alone in this fight for some type of justice with this company. The response to the bad reviews all sound the same. "Contact us directly," but when you do contact them they will give you the runaround & say "Did you read the contract?" Their contract arrives AFTER they take your money, & you don't realize that they never intend on paying for your repairs until you try to make your first claim. My F350 was at the Ford dealership & needed $4,000 in repairs. This company only agreed to pay $150.00. With the GOLD package that I was told would cover ALL repairs. Then, they would not accept Ford's parts. So, in order for me to receive the $150 I would have to find a shop that would accept the cheap parts their adjuster found online.

This company will accept my $250 monthly payment, but will not accept the responsibility that comes with their brand. The slogan on the front of my contract says "Peace of mind" but it's just a headache soon as you make your first claim. Contract #** I would like a real explanation of how these companies can get rich off of people & hide behind bogus contracts with loopholes to keep from holding up to their end of the bargain.

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your correspondence. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your initial claims service, but we hope we’ve since resolved your claims to your satisfaction.

As an initial matter, please be advised that American Auto Shield is a claims administrator. We are not the seller of the service contract you purchased, nor are we your payment plan company. With that said, we forwarded your concerns to the seller of your contract, Carshield, and we requested a review of the sales call. Our review found the seller’s representative described the main components listed as covered by the contract you purchased. We did not find that the representative indicated the contract covers all repairs; however, we sincerely apologize on behalf of the seller for any misunderstanding. If you have any questions regarding your contract’s coverage, an American Auto Shield representative will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

To ensure your claims were administered properly, we also performed a complete review of your claims and any recorded calls associated with them. Because American Auto Shield is obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, we are unable to administer payment for parts not listed as covered by the contract. In addition and per the terms of your contract, you may choose one of our part options, or you may choose a part provided by a dealership or repair facility of your choice. Lastly, we were unable to find any reference in the recorded calls regarding $150, and this amount does not match the authorized claim payment we have on record. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the authorized claim payment amount, please feel free to contact us.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 9, 2018

Well over a week now, run around after run around from CarChex would sold the POS warranty and American Auto Shield. I'd call the folks at AAS morons, but they'd probably consider it a compliment. I was lied to from day one via Nikki at CarChex saying my Mercedes could have OEM parts put back on the car - which is the ONLY reason I bought the 5500.00 warranty. Now I find out via AAS only aftermarket, and they only go by 1 book for repair hours. They are offering me 1/2 of what it costs to repair my car - a front right drive axle. But the worst overall issue... I either pay the 1500.00 difference or take it to another shop... here's the kicker, they won't tell me ANY shop in town that can do the work, will accept their warranty payment, also accept the warranty company mailing the parts to the repair shop, and then use the same repair guide for the hours.

So now, I get to pay to have the MB dealer put the car back together, have it towed home, and take this car from shop to shop (via a tow truck) to find out if any shop in Columbia SC will repair the car, accept mailed parts from AAS, agree to be paid per 'the book'. You know... when you have a car accident, the insurance company has a list of shops 'in network' or preferred shops, then if you choose you can take it to your own shop, but may have to pay the difference. Not with AAS - they will no give you ANYONE they've worked with in the past, anyone in town who can fix a MB, anyone who will accept mailed parts, anyone who works from the hourly repair guide! Please, RUN from these people if you're looking for a warranty... do not walk... RUN! My next phone call is my attorney. I've wasted 8 hours of my time on this, and am NOWHERE closer to resolution!

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. Your claim is currently in an inactive status pending receipt of the signed invoice from your repair facility. Should you wish to proceed with your claim, please submit the signed invoice so that we may resolve and close your claim.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. If you have any questions or should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I recently became a customer American Auto Shield through CarShield. A few days ago I was going down the road in the speed bump scrape the bottom of my car. Oil pouring out profusely. I contacted the claims department for American Auto Shield. They told me to find a qualified auto repair shop. I even told them the situation about the bottom of my car being scraped by a speed hump. The representative told me they'll be no problem just find a qualified auto repair dealer. I contacted the dealer and call the administrator which is American Auto Shield and told them the situation cause I was trying to get roadside assistance. Representative I was excluded from my policy because I had a collision.

Talkin to representative Garrett he became real condescending. So I asked to speak with a supervisor. After waiting 15 minutes Mr Garrett said here he is... Then, a Mr. ** got on the phone and started acting like a supervisor after I told him how the representative was handling me. After asking what type of action would be taken for Mr. Garrett's unprofessionalism... Mr. ** told me that he would handle it and he would contact the supervisor. So I asked, "are you a supervisor Mr. **? He then informed me that he was not even a supervisor. By then said you've been to train yourself as a supervisor for the past 20 minutes. This is very deceptive. I then ask to speak to a supervisor.

Another 20 to 30 minutes. Then I began to speak with a supervisor Ray. He informed me that they will listen to the recordings of the employees and deal with them swiftly. About how they told me that my policy was nullified due to a collision from riding down the street over a speed bump. I also quoted the advertising that they had on the front of their booklet that said "peace of mind for that next bump in the road..." He then informed me that he wasn't an expert in that department because they had agents that did the assessment of claims.

I became very discouraged and depressed. I am considering filing a class action lawsuit against American Auto Shield as well as CarShield for false advertisement. Carshield never informed me that if any external damage was taken that my car was not protected. I never sign anything's in writing holding me to this deceptive contract. If you are interested and being involved in a class action lawsuit please at, **.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your recent feedback. We’re sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with your recent claims experience. However and as previously explained, American Auto Shield is the claims administrator for the mechanical breakdown coverage you purchased through the seller. We are not an insurance company, and we do not administer comprehensive or collision insurance claims. Furthermore, mechanical breakdown coverage does not provide roadside assistance for comprehensive or collision insurance claims.

With that said and as previously explained, if you received roadside assistance for a comprehensive or collision insurance related claim, we suggest contacting your insurance company. They will be able to direct you regarding their procedure for reimbursement, if any.

We hope that we have satisfactorily addressed your concerns. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Time consuming, Labor intensive, unfair. Deny paying for items. Require dealership to completely disassemble and then wait 48 hours. Dealerships cannot do this easily if the car cannot be moved after disassembly. Also, you must wait at dealership for an additional hour after you sign all paperwork to confirm payment. Absolutely terrible customer service and they knowingly lie to the dealership and the customer. Do not waste your money. Terrible company.

Hello John,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to learn you weren't satisfied with your service. Unfortunately, without a Contract or Claim Number for reference, we are unable to address your concerns. If you could please contact us directly to provide us with your Contract or Claim Number, we would be happy to review your contract and claim to discuss any questions or concerns you may have.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to hearing from you and to resolving this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Never had to use a warranty on any of cars, this has got to be the worse experience in my life these guys. My car has be at the dealer Tallahassee Dodge Chrysler Jeep since January 25 and I have talk to several customer rep. The first I talk to was really nice Ms. ** who took my info down and told what I need to do along with my claim number.

Since the initial contact unfortunately I had to wait for an inspector to come back from a seven day cruise after the estimate was done by the dealer. He or she I don't have a name did their inspection but the car is still sitting 3 days later. I've talk to AAS rep Amanda, another day Stephanie and two more that I did not bother to take their name down. My car problem is it needs a water pump and thermostat fairly seem like a simple repair because done it before on my dads truck and my car many years ago. I remind you that I paid already what it cost to repair it in monthly payment to American Auto Shield. The last call I made was January 31, 2018 and they said they were sending another inspector at this time. Unfortunately I would not recommend them to anyone. The strange thing is they constantly blow up your to get your business but I think they need to drop the cliché "Peace of mind".

Hello Elmer,

We regret learning that you were not satisfied with your claims service. Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, please note that American Auto Shield is not a service contract seller or a payment plan company. We do not directly accept payment from customers for service contract coverage they purchased from a seller. Additionally, we do not use the phrase “peace of mind” to describe service contract coverage.

With that said, we apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way by the inspections of your vehicle to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to your vehicle. Unfortunately, without further diagnostics, the cause of failure could not be verified. Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact us directly. We’ll be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

BEWARE of this company, they will do anything not to pay a claim. We paid almost $4000 for this policy, have never made a claim (even though some repairs we have done would have been covered but we needed them done ASAP so we paid out of pocket). Carsure (who sold this policy to us on behalf of AAS) did not disclose all pertinent information regarding this policy and contract terms, nor did we even see a contract. They led us to believe this warranty was through Ford. Many things were said just to make the sale. Now we are trying to make a claim for the first time as our truck sits at a shop in pieces for weeks, and American Auto Shield refuses to pay.

American Auto Shield has received numerous pictures of internally damaged parts within our transmission and have told us that indeed the transmission has failed and needs to be replaced (and they agree it's not electrical so the repairs would be covered IF we can prove what part caused the initial failure) so they continue to ask for MORE before the claim can be authorized. They sent out an inspector that agreed to the internal parts failure yet when AAS called to AGAIN tell us there STILL wasn't enough proof (find the ONE part that caused this failure and damage) to authorize the claim, what they told us the inspector said wasn't ACTUALLY what the inspector said to the shop (the inspector agreed with our mechanic and planned to push the authorization forward... so he said). Also, the shop DID tell AAS that there was damage to the planetary gears (that was his diagnosis of cause of failure).

BUT, upon looking at just the pictures the inspector took, AAS (Mike **) is arguing with the CERTIFIED shop that those gears couldn't have been the cause of failure (even though there are gouges and metal missing from the gears which caused damage to all the other internal parts of the transmission as the metal passed through). Then AAS Mike was viewing one of many pictures I had sent him and he comes back saying the cause isn't the planetary gears (in his opinion). He thinks he found the actual cause of failure but he needed MORE detailed pictures. He couldn't tell me what the part was called that he thought was damaged, he could only tell me which picture it was. So I pulled up the pictures I sent him, so I knew what part to go take more pictures of to satisfy him so that he would FINALLY authorize the claim... AND IT WAS THE PLANETARY GEAR (just as the mechanic said).

So once Mike found out it was the Planetary Gear and I sent him the additional pictures he requested yet again, that wasn't good enough, American Auto Shield agent (Mike ** who thinks he knows more than an ASE certified mechanic that works on vehicles every day, while he sits on a phone denying claims thinking he can accurately diagnose a transmission better than a real mechanic, by looking at pictures on his computer screen) AGAIN came back with, "There wasn't enough damage on those gears to cause the failure." So Mike finally tells me after weeks and days of this back and forth game playing, that he will go ahead and push this claim through anyway, even though we haven't proven to him which part caused the initial failure, IF I can provide service records. I told him my son did some of our servicing (he's a diesel mechanic). He said, "That was fine because the contract states you can do your own servicing."

I got him a copy of the record that included the date, miles, transmission service completed signed by my son and he said that wasn't good enough either. It wasn't appropriate proof cuz "anybody can say anything", I needed an invoice from the shop. WHAT? Why would you have an invoice if you do your own servicing? GAMES GAMES GAMES in hopes we give up and go away is all this is. I don't think they ever had any intentions of paying on this claim. I got a second and third opinion (one from Ford themselves and one from a very reputable transmission shop) and they both said what these people at AAS are doing and asking of us is ludicrous. And as they make us jump through these hoops after already agreeing that this was indeed an internal parts failure which should be fully covered by this policy, the repair shop is racking up a bill that will be our responsibility unless this authorization for repairs is pushed through by AAS.

And not having a vehicle to be able to able to get to work is a major concern because unless they authorize repairs, there is no rental reimbursement. This company is a joke and needs to be held accountable for this fraudulent practice. After reading all the Consumer Affair reviews, it sounds like we are not alone when it comes to the experience we are having with AAS. I am doing so much investigating to prove the fraudulent practices that are going on with American Auto Shield, I plan to gather all my evidence for my attorney. They need to be stopped! What is also very concerning is how the BBB can give them an A+ rating when there are all of these negative consumer reviews here. American Auto Shield is contracted with the BBB in their state and requires that all disputes go through THEIR BBB.

They told me according to my contract (that they never sent me nor are they willing to send me proof of the recorded version) I was required to go through arbitration with them at their local BBB in Colorado (I'm in Wisconsin!) and they said according to my contract (that I didn't get) I CANNOT take them to small claims court and sue them on my own. I WILL find a way because justice needs to prevail! How are they playing the system and getting away with this? Something doesn't add up here. Actually, A LOT of things don't. Who regulates them and their business practices? I have way too much proof to attach on here. If an attorney or other counsel reaches out to me regarding this matter, I am more than willing to forward my documents at that time. ** is my claim number through AAS.

Hello Angie,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry we were not able to reach a resolution with your repair facility regarding your recent claim and for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Unfortunately, we were unable to process your claim as the repair facility was unwilling to provide the necessary estimate for repair to the vehicle.

We are sincerely sorry to lose you as a customer, and we wish you the best in your future endeavors. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Salesman claimed everything was covered in engine and trans. 18 months later engine fails. I supply 3 years proof of oil changes. I am renting a car for 2 weeks waiting for them. Then they look at pictures and deny claim. Contamination in my engine from oil. Over $3000 to fix and they are covering zero. Runaround on the phone. Will be filing a claim in small claims court as this is everything that people claim is an extended insurance scam. Businesses like this should be shut down for taking advantage of people.

Hello James,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we are unable to address your concerns with the limited information provided in your correspondence. If you could please contact us directly to provide us with your Contract or Claim Number, we would be happy to review your contract and claim to discuss any concerns you may have.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My truck is at the dealership, teardown took forever, they ended up removing my engine take it all apart. Then I had to wait for inspection. That was done, had to wait more. Then claim was accepted and processed. My new engine was on the way. Well the vendor says the carrier delivered it… dealer has no engine, when the carrier was asked to produce a receipt, all it has is squiggly lines, unreadable, no name. So there is no engine. They said they would email the engine vendor… email?? Why not just pick up the phone and call them?? I asked what happens if this engine is not found? Answer… “I don't know… it's never happened before.”

So I am stuck between the warranty company, the vendor, and a shipping company. This is crazy, the agents have been pleasant talk and respectful. But I am unsatisfied with an imaginary engine, and doing nothing but emailing their vendor, and I have to wait more. The engine was supposed to be here yesterday. All they can do is tell me I have to wait. I shouldn't have to keep waiting. Ship a new engine, and let's move forward, or use the dealer's engine, and resolve my problem, rather than make me wait, and have my truck hijacked in this mess.

Hello James,

We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry to learn that you were in any way inconvenienced during the repair of your vehicle.

Per our review, your engine claim was initiated November 14, 2017, by your repair facility. Per procedure, we immediately requested a diagnosis to determine coverage, including customer approval for tear down to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to your vehicle’s engine, and an estimate for repair. Unfortunately, the repair facility did not contact us with an estimate for repair until November 29, delaying repair to your vehicle and the authorization of your claim.

Upon hearing back from your repair facility with an estimate for repair, we immediately ordered an inspection per the terms of your contract. The completed inspection report was received on Friday, December 1, 2017. Upon review, authorization was given to your repair facility, and an engine was ordered on Monday, December 4.

The engine was delivered to the correct address provided by your repair facility on December 6, 2017. Unfortunately, although your repair facility received and signed for the engine on December 6, they advised on December 7 that they were unable to locate the engine. On December 7, we tracked the engine, we advised your repair facility that someone at their place of business signed for the engine, and we submitted the shipment receipt signature to your repair facility. Subsequently, your repair facility located the engine at their premises on December 8. We can certainly understand how frustrating this must have been for you, and apologize on behalf of your repair facility for any inconvenience you experienced during this time.

With that said, we are glad your repair facility located the engine, your repairs were completed, and we were able to resolve and pay your claim. We hope that we have satisfactorily addressed your concerns and your claim was resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

American Auto Shield told me that something was covered but when I went to them, it's not. The warranty I got from them was supposed to cover the stuff that would go wrong with my car but when I filed a claim with them, they said they just dealt with the motor. I'm on a fixed income and I had to put up the money myself because I needed my vehicle fixed. They weren’t really good in terms of the time it took them to respond to my claim either. They also said I should pay the 100 dollars first and they will be at my place. So they have been putting out at a time when I needed help. I started paying them off but so far, they haven’t done what I thought they would do and I'm dissatisfied.

Hello Alma,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield (AAS) is the claims administrator of the service contract you purchased from the seller. We do not sell service contracts directly to the public, nor are we a payment plan company. Therefore, you did not speak with an AAS representative regarding the purchase of your contract or the coverage provided. With that said if there was any confusion during the sale of your contract, we apologize and will forward your concerns to the seller.

As your claims administrator, we sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve your claims to your satisfaction. Because we must adjudicate claims per the terms of your contract, we are only able to administer payment for failed parts listed as covered in the contract. We are not able to administer payment for parts that have not broken or failed, but for which a repair facility recommends repair or replacement. Additionally, the customer is required to pay the deductible stated on the declaration page of the contract. With that said, we were happy to pay a portion of your claims for those parts listed as covered by your contract.

Section B of your contract defines the components/parts covered by your contract, along with any terms and conditions regarding the same. Specifically, your contract lists engine, transmission, cooling system, transfer unit (4x4), drive axle, electrical, steering, air conditioning, suspension, brakes, electronic high-tech, fuel delivery, turbo charger, seals, sealing boots and gaskets, and audio center. If you have questions about your coverage, please feel free to contact us. One of our Customer Support Specialists will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Regarding any delay in the administration of your claims, we understand how stressful it can be being without a vehicle. Our records indicate three claims were initiated under your contract. The first claim initiated on February 28 was authorized and payment was administered on February 28. The second claim initiated on August 30 is inactive as it is our understanding the vehicle was moved to a different repair facility. The third claim initiated on August 31 was authorized and payment was administered on September 1. If you were inconvenienced in any way during these times, we sincerely apologize.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you have any questions or should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I've been paying American Auto Shield for a long time but on the first time I made my claim, they never helped me out. I called and this guy gave me attitude. He said they won't pay the full amount for fixing my car. They said that they would have to co-fund of some contract they had to do and I have to wait for a couple weeks. But that's the only car and I needed to fix the car to go around so I paid for it. I was fed up and I'm not going to have anything to do with them anymore. If they don't do what they were saying they're going to do then I can find another place to go to. I'm a veteran and I can go to USAA to do all this stuff.

Hello Misivisa,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claim service. Our records indicate a claim was initiated on February 20, 2017. American Auto Shield authorized the claim and payment was made to the repair facility the same day, February 20, 2017. If this is not the claim you’re referencing, please advise so that we might better address your concerns.

We’re sorry to learn you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times. We sincerely apologize if this was not the case, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

If you have any questions regarding your coverage or claim, or should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We value your patronage.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

My car got to be 100,000 miles and I wanted to have an extended warranty. I used American Auto Shield once for $200 and they covered the claim. But the next four times I took my car to the garage to have repairs done, they wouldn’t cover any of it. I paid almost $3000 for the plan and I was very disappointed in it. I called and talked to them down there and they said that because of the way the plan was worded, they wouldn’t handle it. I ended up talking to a gentleman named Rob and he explained stuff to me. I told him that I was going to cancel the plan and he said that I'd be in trouble without it.

When I took out the policy out, I was told that different things would be taken care of but every time something happens, American Auto Shield says it’s because the car is old and there’s rust and everything else. But it's not the way it was taken out to begin with and I paid it off in full within the 18 month period. I would never go through the plan again.

Hello Earle,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield (AAS) is the claims administrator of the service contract you purchased from the seller. We do not sell directly to the public; therefore, you did not speak with an AAS representative regarding the sale of your contract, you did not purchase your contract from AAS, nor did you submit payments to AAS. Furthermore, the representative you spoke with regarding cancellation is a representative of the selling company, not an AAS employee.

As your claims administrator, we sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve your claims to your satisfaction. While we do not like to deny claims, we are unable to administer payment for repairs for parts not listed as covered by your contract or for repairs for parts specifically excluded by your contract.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Do you have any idea how rude and belligerent the people in your Claims dept. are? My car was in the shop 3 1/2 weeks. I had been turned down for the work. I decided to make one more call to your Claims dept to tell them how their denials affect peoples' lives. I got real lucky. The woman who answered seemed to understand transmissions: she discussed the issue with a different manager, and, they finally approved it. You see, I needed my car to put my belongings in storage - due to hurricane Irma. When I bought this policy I had every intention of KEEPING it for as long as I owned my car. Because of the way I was treated, I cancelled it. Furthermore, I had recommended your company to my friends. Needless to say, I have rescinded that recommendation.

Hello Sally,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry to learn you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times.

We also sincerely apologize for any delay the inspection of your vehicle may have caused. With that said, we were pleased to pay for your repairs.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope we have satisfactorily addressed your concerns. We’re sorry to lose you as our customer, but wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Ok. Had the vehicle for a month. Luckily I had another truck to drive. But my frustrations is in the phone calls and the complete lack thereof. It would be nice to be called with updates, instead the repair facility is telling me, "Well we're waiting on them [my insurance]. I would call for a update, be told something and as soon as we know something different we will call you." But no one called. I had to call in days later to find out things. I know something got messed up with the mileage but the lengthy delay should of been avoided. Also you tell me to take it to AAMCO because they are a preferred company of yours then you send 2 inspectors out to verify what they are telling you and me. From my point it looks like you don't trust them.

And lastly I don't agree with junkyard parts being put in. But hey your company is covering it till my warranty is up. So hopefully this transmission holds up. Hopefully this all makes sense. Just put yourself In my shoes. I was without my truck for a month, the rental program doesn't cover that much time, and besides I didn't use it.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We regret that you were told you would receive a call back but did not receive one. Excellent customer service is vital in making the claims process as easy and stress-free as possible for our customers. We value your patronage and regret that you received less than exceptional customer service. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

We also apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to delays caused by either our claims department or the parts vendor we utilized. Please know we have addressed these issues and sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Should you have any further issues with your vehicle or your transmission, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My experience has been ok. Only thing I didn't like is when I need your services for an approved auto fix I had to wait because y'all were waiting on my dealership ship to call y'all about a part when I feel like y'all should've reached out to them because I'm paying y'all. But anyway it was settled.

Hello Garrett,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. Suggestions such as yours allow us to learn and grow as a company so that we may provide a superior service for our customers and their repair facilities. We have forwarded your suggestion to our claims department manager for discussion!

Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

After 2 detailed conversations with the original salesman and his supervisor and payment of almost $3,000, when I attempted to use the coverage that I had paid for, I was told my vehicle was excluded because it was a commercial vehicle - which had been repeatedly explained before I signed up that my vehicle was used to transport tools to worksites. After numerous phone calls, they reviewed the taped conversations, and found out that in fact these discussions had taken place and that there employees had screwed up! I eventually received a refund for the money that I paid but this was a totally irritating experience and I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield (AAS) is a claims administrator; we do not sell vehicle service contracts directly to the public, nor do we accept payments for service contracts. An American Auto Shield representative did not speak with you regarding the purchase of your vehicle service contract or how your vehicle is used. If you were inconvenienced in any way due to the sale of your contract, we sincerely apologize; however, your review regarding the sale of your contract should be directed towards the seller of your contract, Carshield, not American Auto Shield, the claims administrator of your contract.

Furthermore, you did not speak with an American Auto Shield representative regarding the review of any sales calls associated with the service contract you purchased. If a representative from another company made an error during the sale of your contract, we sincerely apologize. However, your review should be directed towards the company you spoke with regarding the sale, the company who may have reviewed the sales call with you, and the company that issued your refund, Carshield.

With that said American Auto Shield performed a complete review of your contract, claim, and any phone calls made to or from our office that are associated with your claim to ensure your claim was adjudicated properly. Per our records, you indicated to AAS representatives that your vehicle is not a commercial use vehicle but that it is used to haul tools from job to job. However, the Carfax report indicates your vehicle is registered as a commercial use vehicle, and the inspection report, performed by an independent inspector, which includes interior and exterior images of your vehicle, indicates your vehicle is used for commercial use.

Because your vehicle service contract did not include coverage for commercial use, we advised you that a commercial use surcharge would have to be added by the seller to proceed with your claim. AAS referred you to the seller of your contract, Carshield, regarding the same. Per our records, you cancelled your contract through Carshield, who then issued you a full refund.

Thank you for your feedback. We hope we’ve satisfactorily addressed your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I did not like having to pay extra for refusing an aftermarket part, I was informed by 2 different mechanics that the aftermarket Compressor would not last. I had to call and talk to 3 different ladies to find out what was the reason that they haven't given the Ford dealership to do the work. The last lady I spoke with had somewhat of an attitude about me refusing the aftermarket part.

Hello Connie,

We sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve your recent claim to your satisfaction. We are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Per the contract you purchased, you may choose one of our part options, or you may choose a part provided by a dealership or repair facility of your choice, per the terms and conditions of your contract.

We’re also sorry to learn you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times. Please be assured we do not take these matters lightly. We will review any calls made and received regarding your claim, and appropriate action will be taken if necessary.

Thank you, again, for bringing your concerns to our attention. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Do NOT buy from ANYONE cold calling you to extend your car's warranty. Either walk into your dealer and inquire about extending it, OR do some research and pick out a 3rd party vendor. I'm looking into Mercury's Extended Service. This company insisted I had over a deposit that would allow me to 'review' the service for 30 days and then extended that to 60 days, with a full refund if I canceled. When I advised I was looking into multiple companies and would not do anything until then, they informed me that they worked directly for FORD and if I did not make a decision right then, they would have to provide me with a Cancellation Number that would eliminate me from EVER buying this coverage through Ford. Of course, that is pure BS, because they don't know which car I own or any other pertinent information. Beware of companies like this!

Hello David,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield serves as an administrator of vehicle service contracts. We do not participate in the sale of these plans. As such we do not contact consumers by telephone with regard to purchasing vehicle service contracts or other products we may administer.

Authorized third-party marketers and auto dealers who sell on behalf of multiple companies are only associated with American Auto Shield in the event the vehicle service contract sold is administered by our office. With that said, if someone is misrepresenting themselves as American Auto Shield, we appreciate your bringing it to our attention.

If you are able to provide us with any additional information that can help us determine who contacted you, such as the name of the company and/or the telephone number from which the call came, we’d be happy to research this matter further so that we can address it accordingly. Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I don't even know where to begin on this review! I purchased coverage from Auto Shield for my 2005 Range Rover. Back on April 14 2017 I went out to my car and started it. Heard a LOUD banging, popped the hood, figured it was coming from inside the engine. Immediately shut the vehicle off. I called the claims department and they towed the vehicle to the shop. Waited over a week for an adjuster to get out there. He started the vehicle so he could hear the sound (remember this, it becomes important later on). He filed his report and paperwork and I had to wait almost a week more to find out what was happening.

They FINALLY called me back to say they were covering the incident but would need to tear down the engine to the point of failure. So now another week+ goes by. Adjuster goes back out, says the engine needs to be torn down even further. The shop asks why, what's the point, there is metal shavings and plastic pieces throughout the engine. OBVIOUSLY the engine is no good at this point. Auto Shield insists that it needs to be torn down more... 2+ weeks have now gone by and over a month of going back and forth.

Adjuster is called back out to inspect the engine, finds scoring and damage to the heads. Files report... Few more days go by, FINALLY get someone back on the phone again. This person then explains that they will cover the broken timing chain tensioner but not the rest of the engine that was damaged as a result of the failure. Their reasoning, "extended run-time and continued use after damage detected".

The engine was on for about 45 seconds for me to pop hood, go to the front of the vehicle and hear it coming from the engine, then shut off... Remember when I said this will be important later... THEIR adjuster started and ran the engine at the shop while he was inspecting it, causing more damage to the engine... At this point I am losing my mind with these people. It's been about 6 weeks or so and now I am being told I will need to pay for 80% of the repairs AND for all the teardown needed on the engine that THEY requested (required)...

I ask to speak to a manager, a few more days go by... It is now the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend. I get a manager on the phone (Mike if I remember correctly). He goes over the report. After about 10-15 mins. of total silence on the phone he says this is wrong and we are going to cover this. WOW!!! FINALLY!!! Someone with a brain... He tells me that he will file the paperwork for approvals and that it will be about 4 days for the engine to be shipped. But that it won't get approved until Tues (after MDW)... So probably Mon-Tues the following week my engine would be at the shop... GREAT, THANK YOU!!!

I wait... Wed June 31st, still no call from the shop. So I call AAS back, they said it shipped out... I wait... 2-3 more days... I call them again, can't get Mike back on the phone, no returned calls, NOTHING from them... Another week or so goes by... STILL NO RETURNED CALLS FROM MIKE!!! Finally get someone on the phone, Wendy... She is very friendly and helpful... Finds out the engine they ordered is LOST!!! WTF!!! So they order another one (4-8 more day to ship)... Engine finally shows up... WRONG ** ENGINE!!! They sent the wrong year... The next day... The engine they lost shows up... WRONG ENGINE!!! So the shop offers to find one and have AAS reimburse them... They do, and get the right engine shipped out. Shop recommends that AAS do a tune-up, oil change and change out the seals/gaskets. AAS elects to only do an oil change...

Shop gets the engine installed, I go to pick it up and the check engine light comes on (FYI, we are now in mid-late July!!!). They check the codes and the thermostat from the "new engine" needs to be replaced. AAS after quite a few calls and A LOT of arguing finally pays for it. Drive away... Check engine light comes back on... Get it scanned... O2 sensors in BOTH banks all of a sudden reading bad.. Replace all 4 O2 sensors (at my cost). Check engine light comes back on, same codes. Also now getting codes for air intake leak and air/fuel mixture lean.

Shop takes it back in and runs a leak/fog test. Finds a couple leaks in the manifold. The same one the shop rec. that AAS replace while the engine was out. They fix those and a few other ones... Now I am close to $1k to diagnose, find, fix the leaks from the new engine that they sent me. The check engine light is STILL coming on...

We are now at Nov. 1st 2017. In 13 days it will be 7 months and I STILL do not have my car back and am having to deal with the issues of this engine that they put in my vehicle. The shop and I called AAS yesterday to see what they were going to do. Their response "the contract does not cover seals and gaskets" the guy on the phone must have repeated that 50x and that he had 20 years of technician experience!!!

So my response to them was, you guys replace my bad engine with another BAD engine and now it's my responsibility to diagnose all the problems and fix all the issues with the engine. I asked them, do you not warranty what you have put in the vehicle to be in good working order (insert 10 more times of him repeating "contract doesn't cover seals and gaskets"). It simply blows my mind that they can somehow justify putting a ** engine in my car and now it's my responsibility to fix the numerous deficiencies with the engine. So after going round and round with this guy on the phone also named Mike (not sure if it's the same one from May or not) he then hangs up on us!

Also, since I didn't and STILL don't see an end in sight I actually had to go and buy another vehicle since I have to commute for work and meet with clients out of the office on a regular basis. So before I had a bought and paid for car. Now I have a $400+ a month car payment and insurance on a second vehicle (been paying insurance for the last 7 months on a vehicle I haven't even been able to drive!!!)

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My car was old when I got it but it's still in good condition so I wanted an extended warranty for it and got coverage from American Auto Shield. So far I’ve done three claims with them. The first one and the only major issue I've had was in 2012 for the ABS system. I was out of a car for a week but they handled the claim well. The mechanic that I took it to handled all the business along with the paperwork. And when I contacted American Auto Shield their representatives have been nice and helpful. There are some things I feel they should cover but for the price that I paid for the warranty and the service that I’ve received I will recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

The warranty was about to wear out on my truck so I decided to get a vehicle service contract from American Auto Shield. I've submitted a claim with them to get my fuel sensor replaced and they were prompt about it. They're terrific and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Purchased a contract with American Auto Shield last Dec. 2016. Had car problems in Mar. 2017 and was not told to put in complaint until 08/10/2017. At that time I faxed all the receipts, including a towing charge, to the fax number in the booklet (I have confirmation that the fax went thru and a witness). I called them on month after and was told by them that they did not receive the fax, even after showing the proof. They told me to refax it again. I had paid $5 for the first fax and due to what it says in the contract, it is not necessary to keep faxing more than once. Especially since it was confirmed that it did go thru.

I contacted the BBB of Colorado for an answer to this problem, and have not received one, even though it has been over 14 days from when the BBB notified the company. So my next step will have to be legal action with the Attorney General of Louisiana. My truck has been sitting about two months in the repair shop and this is uncalled by a business that advertises fast service and can trust! As a matter of fact, it is downright fraud and harassment.

I am now out about $1800 in repair bills and towing charges, and my truck still sits in the repair, with nothing being done. They have been withdrawing since last Dec. $199/mo from my bank account. I do intend to sue them for a complete refund of my money and the stress I have been thru and will never knock on their door again.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your feedback. Per the contract you purchased on December 13, 2016, service records may be required before authorization is given for repairs. As previously explained, we did not receive the service records necessary to process your claim.

Our records indicate we provided you with both a fax number and an email address to resubmit the necessary service records. Unfortunately, because you declined to resend the service records as requested, we were unable to proceed with your claim. We do apologize that we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction. Thank you again, for your feedback.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I bought an extended warranty for $4,200. The salesman said "If you have any problems just take your car to the dealer, we'll get you a rental and use a company account to pay all the expenses." Of course it was too good to be true. My transmission went out and I took it to the dealership. AAS told the Volvo dealer they had to send my car to a transmission shop leaving me with the $200 diagnostic fee at Volvo. Next day I had it towed to Amco and they said AAS wanted them to take the transmission apart and find out what exactly is causing it to slip. And if what's causing it to slip not coved in the warranty I would be in charge of the expenses. AND they can't get me a rental until after an inspector comes and approve it and they didn't know when that will be.

I also paid extra for A/C repair. I had a leak in my A/C line and when it came time to get it repair ironically they told me my A/C warranty covered everything but leaks in lines. Long story short I ended up paying for the repairs myself and being out of $4200. (Advice From This Experience) *DO NOT buy an extended warranty. Open a car maintenance account for these expenses. My total repairs was around $1,800, way less than the $4200 I paid for the warranty.

Hello Reginald,

We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the claims process. Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, because we are the administrator of the contract you purchased, not the seller, we have contacted the seller to review your initial conversation with them concerning rental car reimbursement. Please be advised that American Auto Shield does not provide rental cars for our customers. Rental car reimbursement is provided per the terms of the contract you purchased from the seller.

Because we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, we were unable to provide coverage for items reported by the initial repair facility as they are not listed as covered in the contact you purchased. Additionally and per our records, the vehicle was initially at a repair facility that was not capable of internal transmission work; therefore, it was advised that if you chose to proceed with internal transmission work, the vehicle should be moved to a facility that was capable of that type of work.

Finally, our records indicate that our adjuster advised the repair facility to diagnose the vehicle to the point of failure to determine contract coverage. Unfortunately, we have not heard back from the repair facility; therefore, the claim is currently in a “pending” status. Should you wish to proceed or should you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly. One of our Customer Support Specialists will be happy to assist you.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

When I purchased the contract I wasn't given all the true obligations within it and when I called in the rep let me know that that is why they send out the booklet and it is our responsibility to read it in and out and that most customers don't take out the time to read it. It has been over a month since I've requested a refund and have not heard from anyone concerning my refund.

Hello Donna,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield serves as an administrator of vehicle service contracts. We do not participate in the sale of these plans. As such we do not contact consumers by mail or telephone with regard to purchasing vehicle service contracts or other products we may administer. With that said, we’re sorry to hear one of the marketer’s representatives may have treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

Furthermore, the marketer, Carsure, is responsible for refunding any monies due for the contract you purchased from them. As a courtesy, we contacted Carsure regarding your refund. Carsure submitted documentation indicating a refund via credit card was processed on August 25, 2017. If for some reason you did not receive this refund, please contact Carsure directly.

Thank you, again, for your feedback. If you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Auto Oil Leak and Water Leak. Job was completed ok. But It Took 4 days to complete Because Firestone and Auto Shield could not come to an agreement. No one called me during this time. I called Firestone they said no authorizing number was sent. I then called Auto Shield they said there was a disagreement with purchase price of parts. After 4 days they agreed and authorized the job.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I filed a claim for replacement of alternator. When I called to check on the claim, I was directed to an adjuster named Barry. Barry has a disgusting attitude. He's condescending, rude, and he made it very clear that helping customers with the cost of car repairs is a low priority for AAS. He acted as if AAS strictly requires me to satisfy him and my satisfaction as a customer is of NO importance at all. He acted like I have a duty to buy car-repair-insurance from AAS. Barry is a bully and should never be allowed to talk to customers. If Barry's attitude represents the character of AAS, AAS is greedy and has no business pretending to care at all about customers.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claim and that you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

American Auto Shield expert review by Lauren Fix

American Auto Shield provides consumers with Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) coverage and claims coverage for cars, motorcycles, ATVs, dirt bikes and ride-share vehicles. Its coverage is fully-insured and financially secure and its adjusters strive to resolve claims quickly and fairly.

• Auto coverage: American Auto Shield offers multiple options for auto coverage, including three plans that cover vehicles up to 90,000-150,000 miles, as well as customizable plans where you can choose the parts you wish to have covered. You can also choose a VSC for powertrain coverage on vehicles up to 250,000 miles.

• Claims process: American Auto Shield lets you report a claim, view documents and see your claim status online. Once you file a claim, it goes through a three-step process including the assignment of an adjuster, evaluation at a repair shop and resolution for the claim.

• Reporting a claim: In the event of a mechanical breakdown for failure, a claim can be submitted online by the policyholder or a repair facility. The online reporting form is secure and fast and allows you or the repair facility to upload up to six documents.

• Live-chat: American Auto Shield includes a live-chat feature on its website to assist and answer questions as you fill out the form. Using live-chat eliminates the use of automated call systems and customers being placed on hold for extended periods of time.

• Ride-share coverage: With the demand for ride-share services growing, American Auto Shield has included coverage for customers like Uber and Lyft drivers. Since most VSCs exclude “drive for hire” service vehicles, this gives drivers in this industry an extra layer of financial security.

• Best for: consumers who plan on keeping their vehicles for a long time.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

American Auto Shield Company Information