Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About American Auto Shield

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided vehicle service contracts with a simplified claims process. AAS offers auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders. It also provides access to 24/7 online support and claims filing.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Monthly plans available
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Large number of plans available

Cons

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Bottom Line

American Auto Shield has coverage to satisfy most needs. Although it only works through dealerships, its large number of plans and acceptance of older and higher-mileage cars make it a good option.

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After looking around for a while this was the best deal. The personnel was very helpful and courteous. I would recommend this company to all my friends. They were spot on as to wh...

Verified

... A bad ignition coil was the issue. I let the service manager know I have a contract with American Auto Shield. They called me back 15 mins later saying it’s covered and its pa...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers eight plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan. The Platinum and Deluxe plans both cover named components, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional, customizable coverage packages available.

American Auto Shield also has three options for more moderate coverage. The Aluminum plan offers a mid-level named component coverage, but the Bronze and Tech Plus plans are designed for specialty needs. The Bronze plan offers wrap coverage to complement an existing auto warranty. The Tech Plus plan exclusively covers electronics.

American Auto Shield then has two more basic plans: Powertrain and PT Gold. Powertrain is more affordable, but PT Gold offers more coverage.

PlanType of coverage
    BronzeWrap
    Tech PlusElectronics only
    PT GoldExpanded powertrain
    PowertrainPowertrain

American Auto Shield also offers several levels of mechanical breakdown insurance, which is an insurance product that mimics the function of an extended auto warranty.

American Auto Shield coverage

American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old, which is much older than many companies are willing to cover. The company’s mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also comparatively high.

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicles need repairs. American Auto Shield also offers 24/7 customer service by phone and online chat.

American Auto Shield offers towing coverage of up to $75 per occurrence. Many extended warranty companies offer complimentary towing, though. American Auto Shield’s rental reimbursements are about average at $40 a day for up to four days.

American Auto Shield FAQ

Can you get an American Auto Shield quote online?
    American Auto Shield does not offer the option to get a quote online. However, calling directs you to customer service representatives who can help you get the right warranty plan.
    How do you file claims with American Auto Shield warranty?
    Customers or repair companies can call American Auto Shield to work on a claim. On the company’s website, there is a link to report a claim and upload supporting documents. Users can view claim history, status, milestones and payments when logged into their accounts online.
    Are American Auto Shield warranties transferable?
    Yes, you can transfer American Auto Shield warranties to a private party if you are trading in or selling your vehicle. Warranties can only be transferred from person to person and not to an auctioneer or dealership. This means you won’t necessarily waste money if you decide to sell before the end of your warranty. Also, transferring an extended warranty can increase the resale value of your vehicle.

Is American Auto Shield legit?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with higher mileage. Its additional benefits leave something to be desired, but the company’s wide array of coverage options means many customers are able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield can cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: March 17, 2021

I called in to verify my account and coverage. I spoke with Kiara, she was great, respectful, polite, know and helpful. I had a horrible experience with another coverage company National Dealer service. They were trying to get me to switch my extended warranty. Kiara got me the info I needed, and help me set up access to my account online and without speaking negative about the other company assure me I was right to stay with your company... I felt so much better after speaking with her today... Thank you Kiara for listening and all the great customer service and support and Thank you Carshield for Kiara. She is a great representation of your company... Now let's hope all is well when I finally use the services.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

S/O to Juliette who is a representative from Car Shield who took the time to address my concern and resolved my question when I called yesterday on 2/26/21. I was completely satisfied and she was able to have my monthly payment due date adjusted in order for me to organize my financial obligations to what’s best for me. A friend of mine is in the market of buying a car soon so I’ll definitely will be recommending Car Shield to him. Since I have a decent social media following over 20k views on Snapchat for every story I post I’ll post one today saying whoever doesn’t have car warranty coverage needs to sign up with Car Shield and ask for Juliette. Tell her Earth’s Finest Emcee sent you.???? Thank you Juliette and thanks for the laughter pronouncing my last name!!?? #TruShoutout on Saturdays with DrewB® on #Snapchat???

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Your representatives helped me with an extremely distasteful experience with a dealership I trusted. On Day 1 they lost my car and denied having spoken with the towing company. I finally had to tell them to stop looking for the car, look for a car with a life-sized doll in the back seat. Then after repairs they tried to add a charge of $22 claiming it was the tax not covered by CarShield. After I verified that CarShield covered the tax, they changed their story. I guess it was AutoShield that reviewed all of the claim and charges to sort out the charges presented. The Service Manager then claimed the charge was for shop supplies totaling $17.55, which they rounded up to $20 - no explanation. All along the way your representatives hung with me, going the extra mile to be sure I received the satisfaction I was promised.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

My wife's 2016 Chevy Suburban starting acting up this past Saturday evening. Check engine light came on and it was running very rough. We immediately took it to the dealer not far from home. Though they were closed we dropped our keys in the overnight box. Monday morning comes and I receive a call from my dealer, a bad ignition coil was the issue. I let the service manager know I have a contract with American Auto Shield. I have the contract number and claims number to the service department. They called me back 15 mins later saying it’s covered and its paid for!! (Well, minus my deductible!) My wife and I picked up her car by 9am this morning! American Auto Shield, thank you for doing such a great job today for me and my family!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

The representative really worked hard today to ensure that my claim went to the correct office. My vehicle has been in the auto shop since my claim filed on 6/23/2020 and I was given the incorrect email address several times before I reached the representative today. I sent my information 5 times to the email given to me on 7/10/2020 to find out today the person that gave me the email did not spell it out to me correctly. However, the emails I sent did show that it went through so I was unaware they never received my documents oil change.

She was very eager to get my claim to records department. The representative gave me her personal email address to ensure I was taken care of today. I am truly grateful. She was nice. I pray my vehicle will be fully covered leaving me the $100 deductible as promised. I have not received a rental and I did have to pay for my own tow. However, I was informed I would receive a refund for the two in June. I trust in God that my vehicle will be covered for repairs.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Engine breakdown engine block. Car Shield has help me through my hard times for last two weeks with the bad Engine keeping me updated with the Procedure and the shop working on the car progress.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Before you can register a vehicle in Utah it has to pass emissions, which it did with flying colors on July 7. On July 29 it was running rough so took it to Larry Miller Jeep in Provo UT. The service rep, Mason **, called me July 1 to report that cylinder #6 is bad. So he called CarShield that same day. Then I called CarShield last Friday July 9th. Mason hasn't heard from you. So I called again today. That's 3 times now...

Original review: July 16, 2021

I took my car to the Infiniti dealer. They found that my radiator was gone and had to be replaced. American Auto Shield didn't want to pay the dealers price for a radiator so they looked for one and took several days to find one and ship it to the dealer. I was without a car for OVER a WEEK due to their policies, and I was NEVER able to talk directly with the adjuster to voice my complaints about how poor their service was. The radiator came in bent. The dealership was able to repair the radiator enough to use it, but now I am worried that the radiator will break sooner than it should since a ben radiator was installed in my vehicle.

I PAY WAY TOO MUCH FOR THIS SERVICE for them to be cutting costs and having substandard parts installed in my car!! Understand this; American Auto Shield (AAS) will do EVERYTHING not to pay the cost of a claim. This isn't even the first time I have had a bad experience with them. DO NOT USE American Auto Shield!! Find a warranty company that cares more about their customers than American Auto Shield does!!

Original review: July 2, 2021

They had my car in the repair shop for over a month then they didn't want to pay for the labor for work they order. They also sent a defective part and charged me for the extra time for the rental car. Terrible service. Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 25, 2021

When I first got with this company they recommended the $99 a month policy since I had an older vehicle with a lot of miles but I purchased it in great condition. Anyway 3 months in I needed something changed and repaired but they said it wasn’t covered for that particular repair but I was paying the highest price they had recommended. So sadly I discontinued with the company. So just some advice, make sure you know what all is covered before committing.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

American Auto Shield Company Information