1.34/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Auto Shield’s coverage options will satisfy most needs. Although American Auto Shield only works through dealerships, their large number of plans and acceptance of high-mileage and older cars make them a good choice.

PROS

• Large number of plans available
  • Lenient age/mileage requirements
  • Motorcycle/ATV coverage

CONS

• Only sold through dealerships
  • Expensive towing fee

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

10/13/2018

They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim … Thank you Auto Shield.

11/10/2018

I was accepted and given a great deal on an extended warranty for my car. This completely made my day. I am going to recommend them to my friends and family. I don't have anxiety planning a trip to visit a friend of mine who lives 5 hours away from me.

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers six plans. The three most comprehensive plans are the Deluxe, Premium and Diamond plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan that American Auto Shield offers.

The Platinum plan and Deluxe plan both have component coverage, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional customizable coverage packages that customers can tack on.

DeluxePlatinumDiamond
Type of coverageComponentComponentExclusionary
Car age limit20 years20 years9 years
Mileage limit150,000 miles100,000 miles90,000 miles

American Auto Shield's powertrain coverage plans include the following: Powertrain, PT Silver and PT Gold. Powertrain is the most basic and affordable plan. PT Gold offers the most coverage, while PT Silver is a hybrid of the two.

PowertrainPT SilverPT Gold
Type of coveragePowertrainEnhanced PowertrainExpanded Powertrain
Car age limit25 years25 years25 years
Mileage limit250,000 miles200,000 miles200,000 miles

American Auto Shield coverage

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicle needs repairs. American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old. This is much older than most companies will cover. The mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also high. American Auto Shield offers 24/7 customer service, available both by phone and online chat.

Rental reimbursements are $40 a day for up to four days. That’s $160 in total. This is an average rental reimbursement policy. American Auto Shield has a $75 towing fee. Most extended auto warranties, however, allow for complimentary towing with every plan.

Do we recommend American Auto Shield?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with high mileage. Their additional benefits leave something to be desired, but their wide array of coverage options mean most customers will be able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield is able to cover motorcycles and ATVs.

204 American Auto Shield Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have had an extended warranty plan with American Auto Shield for 5 years, my agent was great with explaining every detail to me and happy to answer any questions I might have. More than anything is that everything was exactly what he told me it would be. Therefore I had no surprises! Also, not every dealership welcomes the idea of an extended warranty. In fact, in my experience, they hate that you have one and try to give you a hard time, but the folks at American Auto Shield have been very helpful with stepping in and assisting if and when I needed them to. So now that I have the option to renew my contract, I'm happy to do so because they have saved me over $2000 in out of pocket expense and have been nothing but patient, friendly and professional. Yes, the plans can be expensive in the long run but definitely worth it! I highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I was concerned at first due to the fact that I felt like I might be getting the runaround. This was not the case. They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim. They paid it and even covered things I wasn’t sure they would without hassle. I originally gave them a two star but want to upgrade it to a five. Thank you Auto Shield.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was completely happy with American Auto Shield. The A/C quit all together. I called American Auto Shield and they gave me a case number. I brought my car to Philpott Toyota. They found several problems. Phillpot called American Auto Shield. An inspector came and agreed with the findings. My car was fixed and I was totally happy with the repairs on my car. I thank you. I have already told my friends how happy I am with my American Auto Shield. Thank you very much!

Hello Joan,

You’re very welcome! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We’re delighted to read you’re happy with your vehicle service contract and claims service. Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The folks I did talk with, were very nice and knew what they were talking about. I like that. Some places you call and get shuffled to four or five different place before you get to whom you need to talk to. By that time you forget what you called about.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I decided to go with this company for my extended warranty on my car and at first I couldn't say anything nicer about them. The payments were low every month, like $60.00 per month. There was no long term contract and I could cancel anytime. Maybe 3 months after I did this my transmission went out in my 2007 Nissan Altima. The only bad about the claims process was that it took like 4 weeks, but they honored what they said was covered and sent me a transmission to the transmission specialist which was my choice because it didn't call for much out of my pocket.

I was told that it was unnecessary to keep the initial policy that was in place to cover the new (used) transmission if I didn't want to because it comes with a 1 year warranty on the transmission itself. So regardless if I had the initial policy it would still be covered for 1 year.. Well the transmission they sent lasted about 4 months bringing me to now and has yet gone out AGAIN!! I called them only to find out that now they are not going to honor any warranty on it and are saying in order for them to do so, I had to have kept the initial warranty the entire time with no lapse!!?? And of course the supervisor guy that assured me it had a warranty before I chose to go with one from them and not a new one, no longer works there and wasn't put in writing to me.

I never got any paperwork on this transmission period. So here I am with no vehicle and these people could care less. They misrepresented, lied, and cheated. They offered warranty that they had no intention of honoring. I warn people that if these people would do this to me they are subject to do the same to you! They have no idea the hardship my family and I are now going thru!???? SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have given up on American Auto Shield and requesting a full refund of my policy. I have a Mercedes C300 which any repair on this vehicle is not cheap. My car was towed into the a Board Certified Mercedes Benz repair facility in January 2019 and the mechanic immediately deemed it was the transmission. AAS claims requested that the mechanic tear down the engine to pinpoint determining factor, it falls under my powertrain warranty which was the purpose of the warranty in the first place. The mechanic informed me it's a very costly process and if AAS determines the issue does not fall under the powertrain warranty then I will be stuck with the costly bill.

My husband is hospitalized and I'm cannot afford this repair without my warranty. After going back and forth with claims for 5 months I had the car towed from that repair shop to a Mercedes Dealership at Mercedes Downtown LA which determined the issue is inside the transmission and still denied. I'm paying a car note on a car I cannot drive, I want a full refund. It is now August, my car has been sitting undrivable for 8 months, I'm paying for a car note on a car I cannot drive because AAS refuses to do what is right and provide the service I paid for in the event I have a powertrain issue. Please refund my money so I can pay to get my car fixed.

American Auto Shield response

We were sorry to hear about your experience, and our team reached out to you on August 15, 2019, to assist you with a resolution. Please contact us at your earliest convenience so that we may better assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I have a Service Contract. My car has experienced a failure of major proportion. It was brought to an Dealership and AAS was contacted. Both myself, and the Service Manager have bent over backwards to get work done. AAS will not deal with me, and have required the dealership to provide additional information, which they have done multiple times. The service manager can not wait 30-60 minutes on hold, although she has done so. Bottom line - No progress or work for 2 months. Legal action is my next step.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. Our team reached out to you and your repair facility to assist you with a resolution, and we look forward to hearing back from your repair facility so that we may proceed accordingly in resolving this matter. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact us directly. One of our specialists will be happy to assist you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

If you are reading this, good job on doing your research. If you want to waste money, purchasing a warranty through this company is the best way to do it. I hope you read your contract and have a lawyer ready if anything happens to your expensive asset, you are try to "protect". I have wasted valuable time in my life dealing with this company, and regret even considering them. If you have a claim I hope you a lot hours for being on hold, only to be told you are not as smart as they are, which if you purchased a Warranty from a 1.5 star company then they might be right, they sure got me, for hundreds of dollars, my asset is still, broken. If you read this and still go through with it, take heed on what I said on line 3. I hope you have a better experience. This post will probably be placed at the bottom of the review list. Have a Good Day, and Good Luck.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 30, 2019

I recently filed a claim with American Auto Shield for transmission failure. After almost a week of waiting and multiple calls to them for updates I was told my Jeep had a six inch lift and an aftermarket hood therefore my claim was denied. When I took my Jeep to an ASE certified mechanic it certainly didn’t have a 6 in lift and I’m pretty sure they didn’t install one for me without charge. And a hood certainly has everything to do with a transmission failure. Stay away from these crooks.

American Auto Shield response

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns. During the administration of a customer’s claim, American Auto Shield relies on the opinions of the customer’s repair facility and independent, third-party inspections and their supporting photos and written documentation (the inspection report). Our records indicate your Jeep Wrangler was inspected on July 26, 2019. Per the inspection report and supporting photos taken on July 26, your vehicle has a suspension lift. As explained, vehicles with 2-6-inch lift kits require a surcharge. Unless a surcharge has been paid and is noted on the declaration page of the service contract, the contract does not provide coverage for mechanical breakdown or failure of any otherwise covered part that is directly or indirectly related to a part or system that did not meet manufacturer’s specifications or has been otherwise modified or altered, including wheels or lift and drop kits, whether or not the vehicle was purchased with such. Additionally, the contract does not provide coverage for any otherwise covered part that did not meet manufacturer’s specifications, including modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle.

Thank you again for your feedback. While we were sorry to lose you as a customer, we wish you the best.

American Auto Shield Company Information