ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Auto Shield’s coverage options will satisfy most needs. Although American Auto Shield only works through dealerships, their large number of plans and acceptance of high-mileage and older cars make them a good choice.

PROS

• Large number of plans available
  • Lenient age/mileage requirements
  • Motorcycle/ATV coverage

CONS

• Only sold through dealerships
  • Expensive towing fee

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim … Thank you Auto Shield.

I was accepted and given a great deal on an extended warranty for my car. This completely made my day. I am going to recommend them to my friends and family. I don't have anxiety planning a trip to visit a friend of mine who lives 5 hours away from me.

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers six plans. The three most comprehensive plans are the Deluxe, Premium and Diamond plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan that American Auto Shield offers.

The Platinum plan and Deluxe plan both have component coverage, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional customizable coverage packages that customers can tack on.

DeluxePlatinumDiamond
Type of coverageComponentComponentExclusionary
Car age limit20 years20 years9 years
Mileage limit150,000 miles100,000 miles90,000 miles

American Auto Shield's powertrain coverage plans include the following: Powertrain, PT Silver and PT Gold. Powertrain is the most basic and affordable plan. PT Gold offers the most coverage, while PT Silver is a hybrid of the two.

PowertrainPT SilverPT Gold
Type of coveragePowertrainEnhanced PowertrainExpanded Powertrain
Car age limit25 years25 years25 years
Mileage limit250,000 miles200,000 miles200,000 miles

American Auto Shield coverage

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicle needs repairs. American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old. This is much older than most companies will cover. The mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also high. American Auto Shield offers 24/7 customer service, available both by phone and online chat.

Rental reimbursements are $40 a day for up to four days. That’s $160 in total. This is an average rental reimbursement policy. American Auto Shield has a $75 towing fee. Most extended auto warranties, however, allow for complimentary towing with every plan.

Do we recommend American Auto Shield?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with high mileage. Their additional benefits leave something to be desired, but their wide array of coverage options mean most customers will be able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield is able to cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Waited 9.52 minutes before Professional Brooke answered. Explained I started new job Jan 2; off days Thursday, Friday, Sunday; don't need rental. After riding 10 yrs on moped/scooter, will not ride 11 miles to work and back; have medical issues and Dr's orders to rest and relax these 2 days. Brook assured me to not wait until next Th/Fri; to drop the car off at repair shop Friday. Brook assured me insurance adjuster will be there sometime Friday.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Absolutely satisfied, I was very please to have a great experience with a representative and not knowing the many problems with my vehicle all of a sudden all hell broke loose but the representative was so professional and so caring and they are going to taking care of my vehicle. Thank you so much.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

First warranty claim experience. Easy to start pre-claim and appreciated insight from Porter on what the next step would be. Received a call to update me on the call with my Dealer doing the work. I also called an adjuster to find out more info about the radiator you were sending and received the info I needed to be assured it was the proper one rated for my Tahoe with a tow package. Overall, great experience!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

My experience was pretty good. Even though the issue I had wasn't covered, they gave me options to save money on my repair. It would have been better to cover, but they didn't leave me in the cold and helped me out. Good company and warranty is worth it.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

When I got my contract from Auto Shield I thought better to have it than not and did not really expect to ever have to use it and within 3 months my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 had major transmission and rear end problems. Not sure yet what the problem is but when I called Auto Shield they were the most professional group and left me feeling good about my decision to have a contract with them. Everyone should get a contract with them and you will be satisfied believe me.

Dr. Thomas **, Ph.D

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

The plan did not cover the proper replacement receiver dryer for my Audi A4 delaying and adding expense to my repair. My Audi certified repairman explained that the part covered by the plan would void Audi’s warranty if it resulted in a future problem.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Auto in the shop. Waiting for my auto to get back on the road with help of American Auto Shield. Try hooking up with American Auto Shield, If I broke down that is covered by the warranty, I recommend them to you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

When my vehicle needed a water pump and a thermostat replacement, only the water pump was covered. When I signed up with Car Shield, I was told I had "bumper to bumper" coverage. The peace of mind I thought I had, is NO longer there!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Purchased Warranty. First time using it for repairs they covered $200. Was left with a $4800 bill. They used every loophole and backroom trick to claim it was not covered. Do not waste your time or money on any of their products.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have appreciate your clarity regarding our relationship. I have sent to you the information you have requested, in clear written form. That information I sent to you this morning. I am not aware of what other information you need.

American Auto Shield Company Information