3.3/5 (411 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About American Auto Shield

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided vehicle service contracts with a simplified claims process. AAS offers auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders. It also provides access to 24/7 online support and claims filing.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Monthly plans available
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Large number of plans available

Cons

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Bottom Line

American Auto Shield has coverage to satisfy most needs. Although it only works through dealerships, its large number of plans and acceptance of older and higher-mileage cars make it a good option.

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After looking around for a while this was the best deal. The personnel was very helpful and courteous. I would recommend this company to all my friends. They were spot on as to wh...

Verified

... A bad ignition coil was the issue. I let the service manager know I have a contract with American Auto Shield. They called me back 15 mins later saying it’s covered and its pa...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers eight plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan. The Platinum and Deluxe plans both cover named components, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional, customizable coverage packages available.

American Auto Shield also has three options for more moderate coverage. The Aluminum plan offers a mid-level named component coverage, but the Bronze and Tech Plus plans are designed for specialty needs. The Bronze plan offers wrap coverage to complement an existing auto warranty. The Tech Plus plan exclusively covers electronics.

American Auto Shield then has two more basic plans: Powertrain and PT Gold. Powertrain is more affordable, but PT Gold offers more coverage.

PlanType of coverage
    BronzeWrap
    Tech PlusElectronics only
    PT GoldExpanded powertrain
    PowertrainPowertrain

American Auto Shield also offers several levels of mechanical breakdown insurance, which is an insurance product that mimics the function of an extended auto warranty.

American Auto Shield coverage

American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old, which is much older than many companies are willing to cover. The company’s mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also comparatively high.

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicles need repairs. American Auto Shield also offers 24/7 customer service by phone and online chat.

American Auto Shield offers towing coverage of up to $75 per occurrence. Many extended warranty companies offer complimentary towing, though. American Auto Shield’s rental reimbursements are about average at $40 a day for up to four days.

American Auto Shield FAQ

Can you get an American Auto Shield quote online?

American Auto Shield does not offer the option to get a quote online. However, calling directs you to customer service representatives who can help you get the right warranty plan.

How do you file claims with American Auto Shield warranty?

Customers or repair companies can call American Auto Shield to work on a claim. On the company’s website, there is a link to report a claim and upload supporting documents. Users can view claim history, status, milestones and payments when logged into their accounts online.

Are American Auto Shield warranties transferable?

Yes, you can transfer American Auto Shield warranties to a private party if you are trading in or selling your vehicle. Warranties can only be transferred from person to person and not to an auctioneer or dealership. This means you won’t necessarily waste money if you decide to sell before the end of your warranty. Also, transferring an extended warranty can increase the resale value of your vehicle.

Is American Auto Shield legit?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with higher mileage. Its additional benefits leave something to be desired, but the company’s wide array of coverage options means many customers are able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield can cover motorcycles and ATVs.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

Our family was on our way back from Florida, where our car died on the highway in Ocala Florida. We contacted CarShield and the two ladies on two different cell phones coordinated a tow and place called Don's Garage to take it to. The process was quick and the tow company came in 20 minutes. Don's Garage fixed our car the same day. I'm glad to be a Carshield customer. It's worth it to have the peace of mind knowing Carshield has your back in time of need. Thank you to everyone.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

We have a 2002 Ford Ranger given to us from my father. He loved this truck and I want it to be in our family for years. Thank you on repairing our truck. It has taken some time to be approved and it is great we have another car.. But the most important thing is our truck will be fixed and ready to come home very soon.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I was uncertain how I would be treated, I have never had my car serviced for maintenance by anyone I don’t know. I’m lucky enough to have several people that have been in the car culture and have turned their professional experience into a hobby of pride of ownership. It’s rewarding to know that the engine has failed internally and was in no way because of negligence. It’s a pleasure to deal with an honest company.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

My first time using CarShield warranty was unpleasant because the a/c repair mechanic said I needed more parts than necessary. A warranty rep had to go to the mechanic shop and determine exactly what parts I needed. Then the part I needed was in California. It took 7 days to fix my a/c and they not authorize a rental.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I am hoping my Jeep Issues are COVERED by my Extended Warranty! My praises for AAS will be great if that ever happens! Although Customer Service is GREAT I am still waiting for the Repairs to get done! It is no fault of AAS! The Dealer has to take the first step so I guess we will see... EVENTUALLY! I am hoping for the BEST! Thanks to all of the AAS Employees who have been so helpful to me! You're all doing a very good job!

Original review: July 23, 2022

I am requesting an Arbitration Hearing to Dispute the Devaluing of my Warranty on My 2015 Chevrolet Suburban that I Had Towed to Terry Cullen Chevrolet to have My Vehicle Scanned because the Check Engine Light came on the night Before(!). My warranty was Devalued Because Adjuster (known to me as Chris H) Informed Me that my Warranty was Devalued Because of carbon buildup in Cylinder #7 As per the Inspector's pictures/report which showed the Cylinder Valve Head (It’s) Intake/& Exhaust ports from Cylinder #7 on the head (itself). The pictures also showcased the intake manifold of cylinder #7 as well as a Random Additional Picture Of the Engine Block Piston Head from Cylinder # (3.). I spoke w/ Chris H & he said the problem came from the carbon buildup which prevented the Cylinder from functioning Correctly.

- The Inspector Over-Looked /Never Remove For Inspection - (Because it was seized in its position) the valves lifter which actuates The rocker arm assembly to open & close the #7 valve. I humbly submit that the Inspector never checked The Active Mechanical Source as to WHY the Carbon buildup Occurred If the engine is running Which it was while Repositioning/Aligning the vehicle on the tow truck. It was running prior me noticing the check engine light. It was running after it came off of the tow truck. For diagnostics it was also running in order for it to be diagnosed by the scanner. If the engine is running combustion occurs as the spark plug ignites w/ Fuel. If the lifters are unable to actuate the rocker arm To open the valve to the cylinder head carbon will build up on the inside of the cylinder head.

Speaking with the shop's ASE Master Certified Technician(s) They along with the shop's Service manager They Unconditionally concur With my reasoning behind the carbon buildup which is the sole cause Of the Reason that Devalued my claim for Repair/ Replacement Recommendation of the engine. Chris declined the opportunity to send Alternate Inspector's Perspective Confirmation.

Original review: June 14, 2022

There are around 46 paragraphs in the EXCLUSIONS section. I needed a fuel pressure sensor switch replaced in the fuel system. I have Platinum coverage and in the coverage summary it indicates, "fuel Delivery System" is covered. Reading much further on page 9 of 16 it excludes emissions control devices required by the government. Read your contract thoroughly. Not doing so or not remembering specifics cost me $700+.

Original review: March 15, 2022

THE ABSOLUTE WORST! I've been without my car for over two (going on three weeks) due to the ineptitude of this insurance company. My mechanic has done EVERYTHING they requested, two diagnostics, a breakdown of my transmission, pictures of the pieces in question all for them to then say they have to send someone out to inspect the parts! FOR WHAT?! YOU ALREADY KNOW WHATS WRONG FROM THE TWO DIAGNOSTICS!!! They do nothing so you pay out a majority of the work so you can get your car back.

THERES NO COMMUNICATION TO POLICY HOLDERS! I had a SUPERVISOR tell me they can't call me back with information pertaining to my own vehicle! I have to call them for everything! They piece mail information to the mechanics and give you the run around. HORRIBLE customer service with the (exception of Margaret Ann). Now they don't want to reimburse me for the diagnostic they asked for in order to get my car fixed. Will be submitting a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: March 1, 2022

The representatives were awesome that I talked to,, The inspector that was sent to the dealership was BAD! Would not listen to the text and service man on what was really going on with the Cadillac and why it went out...for Car shield he was perfect, so they wouldn't have to pay for the repairs, not right.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

The customer service representative was GREAT! However it would be more convenient/helpful if...once your vehicle has been towed (by you guys) to the shop a rental should be provided throughout it all.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

American Auto Shield Company Information