4.1/5 (43 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About American Auto Shield

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided vehicle service contracts with a simplified claims process. AAS offers auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders. It also provides access to 24/7 online support and claims filing.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Monthly plans available
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Large number of plans available

Cons

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Bottom Line

American Auto Shield has coverage to satisfy most needs. Although it only works through dealerships, its large number of plans and acceptance of older and higher-mileage cars make it a good option.

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After looking around for a while this was the best deal. The personnel was very helpful and courteous. I would recommend this company to all my friends. They were spot on as to wh...

Verified

... A bad ignition coil was the issue. I let the service manager know I have a contract with American Auto Shield. They called me back 15 mins later saying it’s covered and its pa...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers eight plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan. The Platinum and Deluxe plans both cover named components, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional, customizable coverage packages available.

American Auto Shield also has three options for more moderate coverage. The Aluminum plan offers a mid-level named component coverage, but the Bronze and Tech Plus plans are designed for specialty needs. The Bronze plan offers wrap coverage to complement an existing auto warranty. The Tech Plus plan exclusively covers electronics.

American Auto Shield then has two more basic plans: Powertrain and PT Gold. Powertrain is more affordable, but PT Gold offers more coverage.

PlanType of coverage
    BronzeWrap
    Tech PlusElectronics only
    PT GoldExpanded powertrain
    PowertrainPowertrain

American Auto Shield also offers several levels of mechanical breakdown insurance, which is an insurance product that mimics the function of an extended auto warranty.

American Auto Shield coverage

American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old, which is much older than many companies are willing to cover. The company’s mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also comparatively high.

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicles need repairs. American Auto Shield also offers 24/7 customer service by phone and online chat.

American Auto Shield offers towing coverage of up to $75 per occurrence. Many extended warranty companies offer complimentary towing, though. American Auto Shield’s rental reimbursements are about average at $40 a day for up to four days.

American Auto Shield FAQ

Can you get an American Auto Shield quote online?
    American Auto Shield does not offer the option to get a quote online. However, calling directs you to customer service representatives who can help you get the right warranty plan.
    How do you file claims with American Auto Shield warranty?
    Customers or repair companies can call American Auto Shield to work on a claim. On the company’s website, there is a link to report a claim and upload supporting documents. Users can view claim history, status, milestones and payments when logged into their accounts online.
    Are American Auto Shield warranties transferable?
    Yes, you can transfer American Auto Shield warranties to a private party if you are trading in or selling your vehicle. Warranties can only be transferred from person to person and not to an auctioneer or dealership. This means you won’t necessarily waste money if you decide to sell before the end of your warranty. Also, transferring an extended warranty can increase the resale value of your vehicle.

Is American Auto Shield legit?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with higher mileage. Its additional benefits leave something to be desired, but the company’s wide array of coverage options means many customers are able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield can cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

Our family was on our way back from Florida, where our car died on the highway in Ocala Florida. We contacted CarShield and the two ladies on two different cell phones coordinated a tow and place called Don's Garage to take it to. The process was quick and the tow company came in 20 minutes. Don's Garage fixed our car the same day. I'm glad to be a Carshield customer. It's worth it to have the peace of mind knowing Carshield has your back in time of need. Thank you to everyone.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I am hoping my Jeep Issues are COVERED by my Extended Warranty! My praises for AAS will be great if that ever happens! Although Customer Service is GREAT I am still waiting for the Repairs to get done! It is no fault of AAS! The Dealer has to take the first step so I guess we will see... EVENTUALLY! I am hoping for the BEST! Thanks to all of the AAS Employees who have been so helpful to me! You're all doing a very good job!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

For the most part this has been a frustrating experience. I have been trying to get a refund for towing services that was denied me on 7/21/2021. I was told by the roadside rep that my account wasn't active, however I confirmed through CarShield that my account was active during that time. And my account has remained active! Yet, I was originally denied my claim twice after resending the documentation at least three times. I was told that since my account was in "back out" status, my claim could not be processed. What I don't understand is why was my claim denied? I was behind two payments towards my account, but my account remained in active status.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

To open the sliding door on my Honda Odyssey, you pullout on the handle. When I do that, It seems, at first, to have a motor that tries, but door doesn't open. Instead, it makes a loud cracking sound--holding back or balking--with sharp loud noises. And finally after about the third attempt, the door opens. Then, the phone message was cut off before finally finishing the call. I tried to call back several times but no answer. She had just told me to have my mechanic call back at this number to give the diagnostics: 800-531-1925. Then our conversation was cut off. So the next day I called back to be sure this was reported. And that person was caring and helpful, affirming that my mechanic should call the same number next Wednesday when he does the diagnostics. I am Carol ** at **.

Original review: July 29, 2021

My first claim, they turned down and no one could explain why. Since I have 3 cars on this service, I called to cancel all 3. Needless to say the rep appeared so concern that she went out of her way to convince me to reconsider. She was very knowledgeable when answering my questions, which is important especially when explaining things somewhat unknown to the average person who just knows how to drive a car. This rep was great!

Original review: March 15, 2022

THE ABSOLUTE WORST! I've been without my car for over two (going on three weeks) due to the ineptitude of this insurance company. My mechanic has done EVERYTHING they requested, two diagnostics, a breakdown of my transmission, pictures of the pieces in question all for them to then say they have to send someone out to inspect the parts! FOR WHAT?! YOU ALREADY KNOW WHATS WRONG FROM THE TWO DIAGNOSTICS!!! They do nothing so you pay out a majority of the work so you can get your car back.

THERES NO COMMUNICATION TO POLICY HOLDERS! I had a SUPERVISOR tell me they can't call me back with information pertaining to my own vehicle! I have to call them for everything! They piece mail information to the mechanics and give you the run around. HORRIBLE customer service with the (exception of Margaret Ann). Now they don't want to reimburse me for the diagnostic they asked for in order to get my car fixed. Will be submitting a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: March 1, 2022

The representatives were awesome that I talked to,, The inspector that was sent to the dealership was BAD! Would not listen to the text and service man on what was really going on with the Cadillac and why it went out...for Car shield he was perfect, so they wouldn't have to pay for the repairs, not right.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

The customer service representative was GREAT! However it would be more convenient/helpful if...once your vehicle has been towed (by you guys) to the shop a rental should be provided throughout it all.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

American Auto Shield has come through for me. My 2014 Chevy Silverado motor and transmission had problems. American Auto Shield has put a smile on my face. Now I can keep my Chevy Truck for years to come.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

This is not a gimmick. I made my payments and when it was time for them to help they were there for me. My transmission and transfer case went out and they was there for both of them. Great company. Stands behind their word.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

American Auto Shield Company Information