Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.27/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Auto Shield’s coverage options will satisfy most needs. Although American Auto Shield only works through dealerships, their large number of plans and acceptance of high-mileage and older cars make them a good choice.

PROS

• Large number of plans available
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Monthly plans available

CONS

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Top American Auto Shield Reviews We Found

They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim … Thank you Auto Shield.

I was accepted and given a great deal on an extended warranty for my car. This completely made my day. I am going to recommend them to my friends and family. I don't have anxiety planning a trip to visit a friend of mine who lives 5 hours away from me.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers four plans. The most comprehensive plans are the Diamond and Platinum plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan that American Auto Shield offers.

The Platinum plan and Deluxe plan both have component coverage, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional customizable coverage packages that customers can tack on.

PlatinumDiamond
      Type of coverageComponentExclusionary
      Car age limit20 years9 years
      Mileage limit100,000 miles90,000 miles

American Auto Shield has two powertrain coverage plans: Powertrain and PT Gold. Powertrain is the more basic and affordable plan, while PT Gold offers more coverage.

PowertrainPT Gold
      Type of coveragePowertrainExpanded Powertrain
      Car age limit25 years25 years
      Mileage limit250,000 miles200,000 miles

American Auto Shield coverage

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicle needs repairs. American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old. This is much older than most companies will cover. The mileage limit is 300,000 miles, which is also high. American Auto Shield offers 24/7 customer service, available both by phone and online chat.

Rental reimbursements are $40 a day for up to four days. That’s $160 in total. This is an average rental reimbursement policy. American Auto Shield offers towing coverage of up to $75 per occurrence. Most extended auto warranties, however, allow for complimentary towing with every plan.

Do we recommend American Auto Shield?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with high mileage. Their additional benefits leave something to be desired, but their wide array of coverage options mean most customers will be able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield is able to cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

Original review: May 4, 2020

I don't usually leave reviews. However, today I was impressed with how well I was treated - not only because my claim was accepted. The rep, Kevin, was able to let me know the exact coverages of our agreement and was kind enough to call the repair shop and coordinate repairs. The shop owner, who had previously told me "these companies never cover anything..." commented how well he was treated by Kevin and he was impressed with the service supplied. If I could give six stars for the customer service, I would. When I signed up for this service, I was skeptical - now I'm a convert.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I had the privilege to speak with Janice in the customer service department after being transferred four times on three different calls today. She put my mind to rest and made it easy and comfortable to know that there was someone who really cared about the customer. I really appreciate the professionalism and understanding of such a caring individual. You really have a Diamond working in your company that's genuinely concerned for the customer. Thank You so much for having Janice working during these trying and troublesome times!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Vickie ** great to talk to. I have been paying $135 a month for a year now on a 03 Mercedes SL500. I have had it 3 times at a shop and have never had anything covered By Car Shield to date. I thought a tow was free the first time I needed but was quoted $85 to tow 10 miles so I had to use my AAA car for free towing. I asked if I needed different type coverage and she is investigating a Aluminum Electronics package since I just spent $3500 for a pre 100k mileage service. I have only driven the car about 600 miles in the last year. I will be driving in the spring and this car has a lot of hydraulics and module control units.

I want to know if I would be covered if anything comes up there since I know the engine and transmission are sound or the dealer would definitely have told me. She is checking on those ?s before I consider raising my monthly premium to make sure I am covered on all the electronics of the car. She stated I had free towing up to $75 but when I first called last year, as I said the woman told me $85 to tow! Without the expenses I questioned covered then so far I have spent $1350 and gotten nothing. She is actually making the difference to keep me from just cancelling all together. She stated I should not have been quoted a $85 charge to tow the car 10 miles, it should of been free with my policy. 1 star on previous customer service until Vickie got me to a 4 star today.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Waited 9.52 minutes before Professional Brooke answered. Explained I started new job Jan 2; off days Thursday, Friday, Sunday; don't need rental. After riding 10 yrs on moped/scooter, will not ride 11 miles to work and back; have medical issues and Dr's orders to rest and relax these 2 days. Brook assured me to not wait until next Th/Fri; to drop the car off at repair shop Friday. Brook assured me insurance adjuster will be there sometime Friday.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

When I got my contract from Auto Shield I thought better to have it than not and did not really expect to ever have to use it and within 3 months my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 had major transmission and rear end problems. Not sure yet what the problem is but when I called Auto Shield they were the most professional group and left me feeling good about my decision to have a contract with them. Everyone should get a contract with them and you will be satisfied believe me.

Dr. Thomas **, Ph.D

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: May 8, 2020

This person was very knowledgeable and explained the coverage of terms and conditions. All was well. Some parts are covered and some not. This was clearly stated in the contract. I am being compensated according to what I purchased. Thank you.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I called twice to get a better deal, But they couldn't offer me what I was looking for so After one week of having a contract I send a certified letter to cancel. I called today to confirm that my contract is going to be canceled and now they want me to call with tracking number before they can cancel. I want my refund. I asked to cancel before the 30 days period.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I was called to make sure I was the person in the contract or warranty. This representative was very cordial and knowledgeable. The 2nd time, I called this morning and person was also polite and helpful. She understood my concern and informed me very well.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I had a very positive experience with the Customer Service lady I spoke to in the afternoon. She was polite, courteous, articulate, unassuming and a good listener. After explaining to her how shabbily Pep Boys treated she advised me on the steps to take for me to be considered for a refund.

Henry **.

Original review: April 16, 2020

Purchased a warranty with this company. My transmission went out on my truck. They gave me the run around about the repair. $3000.00 transmission, they said that we had to have all of the service records for the truck. That was fine so we pulled the car fax which gave the date and place where the car was service for 95% of the service which was consistent servicing. For the remainder we contacted the repair shops for the invoices to send. When the warranty company received the car fax they said no that they had to have the individual receipts for the work, even though it stated date, time and car dealership of the work.

Seriously. This was easy- What if we changed our own oil or did our own work to save money? They would not warranty the vehicle?? Thankfully we had it done at a dealer and they still would not honor the car report that we paid $40.00 to get. This is fraudulent and shady. The work prior to us purchasing the vehicle was done in Canada. They expect us to call Canada to track down vehicle receipts? Please somebody give me some guidance on this - all we are getting is "as per your contract" which states documentation of work. Crooked?

American Auto Shield Company Information