Hello Angela!

Thank you for taking the time to review our services and for your continued business and support. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know that your vehicle service contract is taking care of your repair needs, as expected.

Should you ever need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Original review: March 15, 2017

American Auto Shield has always stood by me whenever I had service done on my Jeep. I just had the Service Department call American Auto Shield. The rep explained to the Service Department what was covered and what wasn't, and my Jeep was repaired. American Auto Shield has taken care of me for years and I am very grateful!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

As a Retired Military service member I am very apprehensive about dealing with companies that cold call me especially with the wrong vehicle info but I gave them a shot. I had the policy for a few months and had an issue with my vehicle, filed a claim and was told they were canceling my policy, the claim was denied and to call the broker company (Cartection) to get a refund. They said the claim couldn't be paid because my vehicle showed up on "CarFax" as a Branded Title vehicle or uneconomically repairable vehicle. I sent them 2 state titles that show otherwise and they still refuse to pay the claim, my vehicle is in the shop with over $6k in repairs to be done & the broker company Cartection says it will be 3 weeks before I will see a refund.

I filed a complaint with the Department of Insurance as well in Georgia, Colorado and California to deal with this matter and warn others "Buyer Beware!" These companies should be held to a higher standard when qualifying contracts as and spend the extra money to run actual state title information like a real insurance company does, not relying on Car Fax. Nowhere in their contract does it say Car Fax information will be relied on for the adjudication of these claims!

My car was losing a toll on of antifreeze per week. Couldn't see a leak. Dodge dealer said a bad intake manifold gasket. If your car is disabled what good is a warranty if the gasket is not covered? Air conditioner and cooling system covered complete is what I was told. I will make sure everyone hears of this too! I should have known better. All service contracts are misleading to the point of fraudulent. My attorney will go over this for sure. Meanwhile save your money. Pay for your repairs.

Hello James,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We regret learning that your experience was unsatisfactory. As an initial matter, please know that there are supervisors and managers to address any concerns you may have regarding your coverage or claims, should you need to speak with someone directly.

Please be advised that we do not send our adjusters to inspect customer vehicles. However, when a repair facility is unable to determine the cause of failure as required by the terms and conditions of the service contract, the administrator may assign an independent inspector to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to the vehicle. Furthermore, while we do not like to deny claims, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Per the contract you purchased, a transmission case is covered only if damage is caused by a failure of any internally lubricated part within the transmission. Unfortunately, there was no failure demonstrated by the repair facility to any internally lubricated parts within the transmission.

Please also be advised that the vehicle service contract you purchased provides rental car coverage from a licensed vehicle rental company for authorized and coverable claims should you need assistance in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback. We sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction, but we hope we were able to satisfactorily address your concerns. Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I bought a vehicle service contract from American Auto Shield for at least 2 years after I watched their commercial, just see how it goes. I didn't know anything about it and I said to myself, "Well, it won't be a bad idea to have." That time, I'd probably get rid of the vehicle and only keep them about every two years. I had it looked at before I even bought the insurance. The mechanic did some work to it, did a wheel bearing on it and stuff. I asked him how it looked and he said, "It looks pretty good. But you know, it's not a bad idea. You'll never know if an engine blows." But about eight years ago, I got a car, drove it for about six months, and the engine blew.

I've called them and submitted a claim for service. I talked to them and they just come up with it and there is nobody else to go to, "No higher up," is what the guy told me. They were willing to send three adjusters out to look at it three different times and keep the vehicle out of my service. One guy inspected it and said "Yeah, it slips. The transmission does slip. Yes, it does." After they broke the car down, another guy says, "Well, I can't really tell what the problem is. Something internally is happening, but I can't explain why." They then came up with a few sets of air pockets in the casting of the car, and the truck ran from '06 through 2017 fine. But now the casting on the transmission case had pockets in it. That just doesn't happen, and it just doesn't go away.

What I come down to is that it was just their excuse not to pay a claim. They're a fraud. They will be more than happy to accept your money then they don't do anything about your claim. I have dealt with extended warranties before on vehicles, and when they find the problem with the car, they just either replace it with a new part and get it done. It cost me about a total of about $500 in the time I spent with their guy. That was my only claim. I don't claim just because I got insurance, I'm not one of those people. I didn't even ask for a rental car while my vehicle was out. I borrowed a vehicle from a friend for the longest time and wore out my welcome there. He was pissed at me for as long as I took. I'll never go back to them and I'll be out of the contract in any way I possibly can. It's a very pissful experience, and would I ever, ever think of doing it again? No way. They're horrible.

Hello Waverly,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the claims process and appreciate the opportunity to address each of your concerns. To clarify, American Auto Shield is not the seller of the contract you purchased, and we are not your payment plan company. AAS is the claims administrator for the service contract you purchased from the seller.

While the contract you purchased includes roadside assistance benefits, including towing service, the services are administered by an independent nationwide roadside assistance administrator, not AAS. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with this service and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We will address the same with the administrator.

The contract you purchased includes rental car reimbursement for authorized and coverable claims. However, American Auto Shield is not a rental car company, and we do not provide or make arrangements for rental car service. With that said, rental car coverage, when applicable, can be obtained from any licensed vehicle rental company of your choice. Many repair facilities have loaner cars or have a rental facility on-site. However, if your repair facility does not provide rental cars, simply contact your local rental car company and retain your receipt.

While we do not like to deny claims, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased; therefore, we must adhere to the waiting period condition in the contract terms, we are only able to administer payment for failed parts listed as covered in the contract, we may assign an independent inspector to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to the vehicle, and if a covered part is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, repairer’s guarantee, or other service contract, or insurance policy of any type, then such warranty, service contract or insurance shall be primary, and coverage under the AAS contract shall be secondary.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are sorry we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction, but we hope we’ve addressed any questions or concerns you may have. If you should have any additional questions regarding your coverage, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: June 3, 2017

When I got the contract, I was told that I would pay a monthly payment. If I had to have repairs, there is courtesy towing as well as Rent-A-Car, $100.00 deductible and the plans pays the rest. I tried to use it for repairs three different time, each time I was denied the repairs. The first time I had to wait 30 days before using it. The second time the parts were not covered. This last time, I was told that the water pump and radiator would be covered, two of six parts damaged, by the water pump housing breaking. A week later they told me the claim was denied because the water pump is under warranty from a company. Here is the kicker, they would only cover the two parts, the rest I would have to pay for.

The tow company was only a $75.00, anything after that for tow I would have to pay for. The rent a car, I would have to get on my own and they said they would reimburse that cost. So paying the monthly amount, any amount on tow and rent a car if I got one, then the cost of what the shop did not get from the warranty. To me it seem nothing I was told is what it really is. The contract book is so confusing that it's hard to know what is covered and what is not. The frustration from the time my truck broke to this day is over the top as well the stress. I have put in just under $1,000.00 from monthly payments, the cost of repairs I had to do because I could not use this warranty is just over $1,000.00. The money I paid to this company is just a waste and I was not able to use it.

Plus some of the people had no clue. The person setting up for a tow truck, I was on the phone with for close to three hours, trying to explain where my truck was broke down at. I tried telling her just tell the tow driver, they should know right where I was. Thank God my brother showed up. Got a tow company to tow my truck. The trying to get information from people in the company about my truck was just as bad, I was either talking to the wrong department, or kept getting disconnected. They said their phone messed up, right. Then we had to wait on the adjuster from yet another company to go look at my truck and they would decide if the company would pay or not. I kept telling them I have no transportation but they kept saying, "We will see if we can push them."

It took four days for them to get the information for adjuster and decide they would not cover it. Then trying to cancel this plan, was just as bad. They tried everything they could to get me to change my mind, by this time I was so mad if I could of choked the person through the phone I would of. It does not matter who or about you, it's all about the company. Also if you're on a limited income like myself this is not for you, you have to have a good saving amount, or you will be like I have been this week. Stressed out, frustrated. It's not worth it.

Hello Leonard,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t completely satisfied with your claims service and that your repair facility would not install the parts offered to repair your vehicle.

With that said, we’re glad we were able to pay a portion of your claim. Should you have additional questions about your coverage, please don’t hesitate to contact us. One of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to address any concerns you might have.

Original review: May 28, 2017

My CV shaft was leaking grease all over exhaust of my 2008 Subaru. I contacted American Auto Shield. They told me to take it anywhere I wanted even the dealer. I set up a appointment with Cannon Subaru of Lakeland, FL. Arriving at Cannon showed them my paperwork. They said no problem. They work with this kind of thing all the time. I left my car. A couple days later I get a call from Cannon saying they can't finish my repair because of issues with American Auto Shield. I find out that American Auto Shield wants to send parts to Subaru that they won't install. Now I'm stuck with my car torn apart waiting so I call American Auto Shield. They say that's the way they work.

Wish someone would have figured that out ahead of time. So Subaru tells me that I will have to pay for parts. Well when I go to pick up my car American Auto Shield barely paid half and it cost me over $300.00 to get the keys. So 4 months later the other side shaft does the same thing. I call American Auto Shield. Same story. I ask if I could do repair. They said no. So instead of doing the same thing over I bought my own parts. Repaired my car for $84.00.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got American Auto Shield for over a year now at the same time when I bought a used car. My engine light came on, so I had all the spark plugs and the gas was changed. It was still misfiring on number 6 and nobody could figure out why. I thought it might be the transmission but they weren't really helpful. They were saying I have to pay for $65 an hour to put it on this machine and I haven't had the money for that. So I went and got an ignition coil put on number 6. I'd be able to get a rental car for four days and American Auto Shield will pay for them. But if it's a transmission, it takes more than four days, then I'm just stuck and got to pay for it myself. There's also something wrong with what they cover. I thought I'll get it bumper to bumper. I have an automatic payment set up for this and it seems I'm paying for something I can't use. It wasn't very pleasant and if a friend asks about them, I'll tell them to check around.

Hello Kathryn,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claim and that one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional when you contacted our office. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please be assured we do not take these matters lightly, and appropriate action has been taken.

Regarding any delay in your vehicle’s repair, unfortunately, the repair facility was unable to determine a cause of failure or confirm the extent of damage; therefore, we assigned an independent inspector to determine the cause of failure prior to issuing authorization for repairs, per the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Our records do not indicate that the inspector caused any delay. The repair facility contacted our office on a Friday, the inspection was immediately scheduled, and a report was received the following Tuesday. Our records do indicate, however, that there was a delay in receiving information from the repair facility, including the final invoice necessary to process the claim and pay for the repair.

With that said, we’re pleased we were able to process and pay your claim. Thank you, again, for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: May 22, 2017

I did not have a good experience with your company. Five weeks to wait for a repair is an excessive amount of time. Every time I would call, the representative was polite and answered questions. When they have transferred me to claims adjuster, I was treated like a stupid woman. One thing they do excessively well is make excuses and they have the best in the nation ways to hold up progress. Started out needed diagnosis then would call inspector. Then needed car torn down further, then needed more tests, then needed back to diagnosis, then waiting on inspector, then waiting for inspector report, then needed pictures. For five weeks. I really cannot identify where the bottle neck was - but your responsiveness is horrible. It is my wish that someone look at the process and review for problems and inefficiency and go solve the problems so your company can continue to be successful.

Hello Efrem,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. Our records indicate your most recent claim was called in on a Wednesday. Unfortunately, the repair facility was unable to provide a cause of failure as required by the contract; therefore and per our records, an independent inspector was assigned to inspect the vehicle to determine cause of failure and extent of damage. Per our records, the inspection was performed on Thursday and the complete report was received on Friday. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during this phase of your claim service.

While we do not like to deny any portion of a claim, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Therefore, we are only able to administer payment for failed parts listed as covered in the contract. With that said, we were happy to administer payment for those parts listed as covered in the contract and verified as failed.

We’re also sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the warrantied parts provided to repair your vehicle. A number of companies make parts designed to function the same, or in some cases even better, than the original, manufacturer’s part. However, we appreciate your feedback and are happy to discuss any additional concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact one of our Customer Service Specialists should you need further assistance.

Original review: May 21, 2017

The hose on my radiator popped out so I had coolant flushed and a new hose popped in. But since it's not covered, I paid for it on my own. But three other for motor mounts were bad and it ended up to be repaired. The technician to where I usually get a service said all four should be repaired. American Auto Shield then sent an inspector over on a Friday to try to find out if three of them were bad instead of four. Also, the technician recommended the motor mounts that was the best for my specific vehicle, but what American Auto sent over was the aftermarket parts which were the cheapest. The part has a warranty, but it was the suckiest one. I understand that it's business, but it was awful and it's not even good.

Also before that, I already had an engine mount put on it and it was on the right side. And it's not like I go off-roading because I literally just drive to work and back. They've both been great but they're not rough to where you need new engine mounts, it's just that the parts that they use are not good. And that's what supposed to happen when you short change, cheap parts and cheap labor. I know that sooner or later, I might need new engine mounts, but it's almost no point to it. And then the other time, they didn't even want to pay for the service but it's part of the contract.

On top of that, I had to pay an extra two days for a car rental because the inspector got there late and they only pay for three days rental. So it's not about giving the customer gratifying service anymore and they're only gonna do the minimal requirements to satisfy the contract. I am not happy at all and I've been very dissatisfied. Every time I deal with them I have issues. I've been disappointed more than once. It's just like it's all about the interest of American Auto Shield and not the interest of the customer who owns the vehicle. They're not real good customer service people and they're not a company that push their customer service.

No problems as long as you follow their rules. They paid our Ford dealership promptly. They also refunded some $ to us when one of our vehicles was wrecked. We had 2 with them and if we need I will not hesitate to buy again. Read your policy and follow instructions to call them before work is done.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a 100,000 mile warranty on my vehicle. I like the car and I plan on keeping it for another 100,000 miles, so I decided to get another warranty. The Mercedes dealer deals with American Auto Shield and files the claims with them. I had a claim that I had two things on it. One was covered and the other wasn't. That's the way it went and it was fine.

The only problem I have with American Auto Shield is the way it’s set up. You deal with one group but that's not the name of the one that backs and finances the whole operation. It's more like a brokerage, but it's not a problem for me. If you try to look up the insurance company that I was dealing with, you can't find them. I found out it was American Auto Shield when I called back to verify what was going on. They said, “Yeah, we're not listed.” I would recommend American Auto Shield to a friend that wanted to extend or that really like their car and wanted to keep it for another 100,000 miles.

Hello William,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn that you weren’t satisfied with your claim. Per our records, the repair facility reported both front upper control arms and both front lower ball joints; however, struts were not mentioned.

We’re also sorry to hear that you were short on time and could not leave the vehicle for inspection; however, per the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, the administrator has the right to inspect the vehicle prior to issuing authorization for repairs.

Thank you, again, for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your coverage, please feel free to contact us. One of our Customer Service Specialists will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Original review: May 17, 2017

Repairs were needed due to a long trip ahead and struts needed replacing. I was told that someone had to inspect them before they authorized the repair and it would be three days before someone would be available. I was to leave in three days and had to pay for the work myself because I could not take the chance of having a breakdown on the weekend on the road.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The regular warranty for the car was up, so I got an extended warranty with American Auto Shield. I submitted a claim for the power hatch motor and they said it wasn’t covered. I was disappointed and I traded it in because there might be other things that are not covered. It’s hard to tell. There are all these electrical things that it covered and for some reason that piece wasn’t. I would not recommend extended warranties in general because with my experience, they are not what they crack up to be.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I bought a used car and I wanted to make sure to have a warranty on. And so, I decided to get a vehicle service contract with American Auto Shield. However, something happened and I lost my card. So, I called American Auto Shield and told them to send me a new card. They told me they couldn't send me one but they sent me a package letter instead. I didn't understand that. Nevertheless, the service contract has been helpful.

Hello Gwendolyn,

We appreciate your taking the time to give us your feedback, and we hope that our Claims Manager was able to address any concerns and answer any questions you might have regarding coverage and our obligation to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Should you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We value your patronage.

Original review: April 19, 2017

My warranty was about to run out and I saw the commercial on TV so I acquired American Auto Shield. I’ve used it several times but they didn’t pay everything that they said they would pay. They say bumper to bumper, but that’s not the case. Then it takes too long to approve the work that they are trying to do. They notified me the next day and tell them what’s all wrong with the car. But then they don’t agree with that. They shop around to see if they could get it done cheaper. They said you can use any auto service you want. But if you don’t change it to another service that’ll do it cheaper, then you got to pay out of pocket. I don’t think that’s fair.

I have a Cadillac so I took it out to Orr Cadillac. That’s where I get things serviced or repaired, at the Cadillac dealership. But they seem to think that the Cadillac is charging too much. They are only paying a certain amount for this car. If the service is covered, why not pay the full amount that they’re saying it takes to repair it?

I’m considering changing to something else because I’ve paid out of pocket more than they claim when I first enrolled in it. So it is $100 deductible and I wind up paying $400, $500. I wouldn’t recommend it. Now a cheaper model car, I can. But a Cadillac, no. It takes money to repair those.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My experience has been excellent. Customer service is polite and caring and personal. Spend necessary time to listen to your issues. Approval takes only a few minutes for covered repairs. The company strives to be the best. In opinion, they are. American Auto Shield - keep it up!

American Auto Shield is a nice coverage to have if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long extended time over the years. It help saves on expensive auto out of pocket funds. Just don't like that they use manufacture parts.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. A Customer Service Specialist will contact you within 48 hours to personally address your concerns.

Original review: April 13, 2017

One of the most horrible and frustrating experiences I've ever been through in dealing with a warranty company. The customer service was horrible, as well as the way the claim (Transmission failure on Yukon Denali) was handled with my GM dealership. I will discourage ANYONE from ever purchasing a warranty from this company. As a result as well, my GM dealership had such a horrible experience, that they will now refuse work from any customer who comes to them with this warranty. The adjuster over the phone accused me of maliciously damaging my vehicle and was most difficult to deal with.

Both the dealership AND and an industry expert hired as an independent adjuster recommended a replacement, but the warranty company adjuster drag the claim out, pushing for a repair v/s a replacement, knowing that a repair would be more expensive than a replacement. He also drag the claim out for weeks... causing me the customer hundreds of dollars of rental car expenses. I've went to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and made sure that they realize what a horrible name they would be making for themselves by recommending American Auto Shield to any of their customers. The dealership that performed the repair, stated to me that this was the worst experience he'd ever had in dealing with a warranty company and that they will not perform work on any customer's vehicle that is a warranty claim through American Auto Shield.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. Per the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, repair or replacement of covered parts may be made with parts of like kind and quality.

With that said, we’re glad we were able to pay your recent claim, and one of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to address any additional questions you might have about your coverage. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I have only used the warranty once. So far I have not be impressed. Owning a Porsche, I wanted Porsche replacement part in lieu of aftermarket parts. This warranty only covered about half the cost of repairs. Would not recommend!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My service contract on my vehicle expired and I needed one which I got from American Auto Shield. The dealer submitted a claim for me. My transmission was broken down and then Auto Shield sent somebody out to look at it. Then the decision was made to replace it which was done with a used transmission that had 96,000 miles on it. American Auto Shield paid for it. But I still had to pay $900. The labor was $131 but my contract was only good for $100 an hour and there were some other items that I had to pay for. It's been an okay experience with American Auto Shield but I don't know if I will renew it.

Hello Gail,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the claims process. Per our review, American Auto Shield processed and paid each of your claims per the terms of your contract, including your most recent claim. If you have additional questions or concerns regarding your prior repairs or coverage, please feel free to contact us directly.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Don’t go with American Auto Shield. They didn’t want to honor a repair. I am disappointed in their service towards the end. I had a couple of things done before and I think they were covered, but they gave Volvo a hard time. All the interactions were all through Volvo. I had a claim two months ago for a gas gauge. It took a while and they didn’t want to pay for it. I think I had to pay for part of it. I had always took my car in for repairs for a warranty, so it shouldn’t have been a problem with them covering it. I wouldn’t recommend American Auto Shield to anyone else.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My vehicle had gone over 100,000 miles and outlasted its warranty. So when my local auto repair place gave me three warranty providers, one of which is American Auto, and I called each of them for information. American Auto Shield offered me a fair price and they were very nice, so I decided to pick them. I recently had a claim because the steering mechanism of my vehicle broke while we were on an out-of-state trip. It was a very unusual situation because no other dealer or place stocks that part and they had to be ordered from the factory. The situation was critical since we're travelling but the manufacturer of the mechanism managed to come up with one and we were inconvenienced for only three days, so in the end, we're very happy.

Their customer service had been fine until the end when it was extremely difficult to get a hold of them. I had the reps name and number that I call and leave a message to, but no one ever called me back. It ended up it didn’t make any difference because shortly after, we were involved in an accident where someone totaled our car beyond reasonable repair so there wasn’t any need to pursue it at that time. The car was going strong at 168,000 miles until the accident. The driver and passenger doors behind me were hit, the post between the two doors was cracked and the air bags fell out immediately. The cost of everything made it not economically feasible to do any repairs. So they scrapped it and moved on to another day. We also contacted them about a few things and everything was handled well and there were no issues. I was very happy and satisfied with American Auto Shield. I would recommend them to anybody that asked me.

Hello Dorothy,

We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. American Auto Shield is obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased; therefore, we were only able to administer payment for those parts listed as covered in your contract.

With that said, we’re happy we were able to pay a portion of your claim, and one of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to address any additional questions you might have about your coverage. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need any further assistance.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I paid per month for a year and I paid the whole thing. I didn't have to use it but one-time on the last go right after all the money had been paid, I found out something was wrong with my car. I almost had forgotten that I had the Auto Shield insurance. That's the part that I was unsatisfied with. So, the Cadillac team filed the claim after they found out what was wrong with my car. But, American Auto Shield wanted me to pay a little money on the side. I had more than one thing done but they only half covered one thing.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went down on a Mercedes dealer and I said, "You hear of these guys?" They said, "Yeah. We heard of them. We deal with them. They're good." So that's how I chose American Auto Shield. One of the guys called me when I was in the midst of a problem and he was very helpful. Also, feedback was very good. It was a messy episode and it cost me a lot of money but it was okay. They did a good job, and I'm very satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was told that the contract with American Auto Shield would cover certain defaults or whatever problem that may occur. But after I took out the policy, it doesn't cover some of the things that they said would be covered like the radiator. They were also trying to give me the runaround behind the transmission. I took it to the Ford store but they're saying that it wasn't the transmission. I called the other day and they said that I could take it to a transmission shop. But it's been hard to take it to the Jaguar shops and when I did take it to the Jaguar shop, they were telling me that it wasn't covered. But I'm going to attempt to take it to another transmission shop and I'm having to pay out of my pocket for some other mechanical problems.

Hello Mr. Hernandez,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. A Spanish speaking Customer Service Specialist reached out to you by phone today and left a voice mail. We’re sorry that we missed you. Please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience. In the meantime, please be advised that American Auto Shield (AAS) does not sell vehicle service contracts directly to the public, we do not contact consumers by phone or mail to purchase products or services, and we are not your payment plan company. American Auto Shield is the claims administrator of the vehicle service contract that you purchased from the seller.

Our records indicate that your vehicle has primary coverage through a powertrain extended warranty, which you purchased prior to purchasing additional vehicle service contract coverage administered by AAS, and that the primary extended warranty covered a portion of your recent repairs. Per our last correspondence, please submit for documentation and review a copy of your primary extended warranty so that we may determine what, if any, coverage may also be available under your vehicle service contract for any additional repairs.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly at our toll-free number. A Spanish speaking Customer Service Specialist will be happy to speak with you.

Original review: March 24, 2017

When we got contact by AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD the offer us the best extended warranty they have. AAS told my wife that our extended warranty was about to EXPIRE or that probably we didn't have extended warranty anymore. My wife buy this AAS warranty. We have been almost making payments. ABOUT 7 week ago we took or SUV to service transmission. Was going out. DEALERSHIP CONTACT AAS. They call us and told us that it will be cover. After a few weeks in the shop. The shop call me and told me if I want to buy part to fix my transmission or if I decide to get the used transmission that AAS was will to sent out. Either way I was going to pay out my pocket. So I told the shop to figure out how much. Shop call me and told me close to $5000 and that AAS ONLY was going to pay $2800. I will pay the rest.

After talking to shop call AAS and got hang up and call back, got told by one of his bilingual speaker that that's why we should read the contract or if we didn't SPEAK English to have someone READ it to US. To make sure on what was cover and what's not. Told agent that they lie to my wife about us not having an extended warranty. And how come they didn't need ANYBODY to translate to help my wife set up auto paid. THE END WE ARE GOING TO GET OUR SUV FIX THRU OUR EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT WE GOT WHEN WE BROUGHT OUR TAHOE. How was denied to paid because they said that it should go thru our extended warranty first and then AAS. Feeling upset, mistreated and confused and misunderstood.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’m 82 years old. I have trouble getting around and I don't know if my condition may worsen to the point where the neurologist will say that I'm not able to safely drive. So it's better for me to have a 4-yr old car than to have a year old car and have to give it up. It's another $50,000 when you trade every four years and I'm not into that. And I like to save a little bit for my kid for the nursing home. One time, I asked my son how come the cars he's buying are used but it's warranted up to 100,000 miles. He said that extended warranties are available out there. So when I saw an ad, I thought I would try it if I wasn't going to buy another car. I then got in touch with American Auto Shield and told them I would pay them cash and I wanted it right off in the best price they could give me. They called me back over half hour later, made an offer and I got it for about half of what they initially offered it for. I thought that was quite a savings, so I was satisfied.

I'm glad that I bought the extended warranty because before I purchased it, I had a vacant window in my car warranty which expired after I got 50,000. I lived in Florida four months a year and it turned out that I didn’t have any coverage, but my dealer back home told me he would’ve covered it. There was also a time when my headlight went out and it cost me $1,400 which was outrageous. That's how expensive the car parts are.

But one of the features of AAS that I'm against with is that they only pay for parts from secondary market. So when my rear wheel bearing went out and I bought a new one through the dealer, they charged me $18 or $20 more than the secondary auto market was. But I've had this twice and they've taken care of it. Their service has been very good, too, although it takes a little extra time when filing a claim since I need to wait and talk to the dealer and the dealer needs to get the approval of the warranty guy. That takes a couple of telephones, back and forth, but other than that, I’m very happy with AAS and I would recommend them.

I had to file my first claim after only a few months of using American Auto Shield when my engine died on me unexpectedly and I was expecting to have to jump through a dozen hoops just to get things done. Amanda was incredibly friendly and willing to help me get everything done. They never once treated me like I was trying to scam them like so many other places that offer similar services have in the past and I went away feeling like I got exactly what I was paying for. Would definitely recommend giving them a shot and seeing how it works out for you.

Came in handy when I needed it. Few hiccups but nothing life altering. Just some minor delays that were easily worked out. Happy with the result. It's not a perfect system but really what is. Were there when I needed and that is really what I was after.

Hello Anil,

We’re sorry to learn that you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. While we do not like to deny claims, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract that you purchased. With that said, if you have questions regarding your coverage, one of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to answer any questions and discuss any concerns you might have.

Please feel free to contact us at our toll-free number, 800.531.1925, or you can visit our Support Center at http://support.americanautoshield.com for fast online support and response.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Auto Mechanics have called from shop about five times for various reason and nothing has been covered. Auto Mechanics were given reasons. So for future customers, please read the contract as not much is covered and there are many exclusions which a layman like me can't understand when policy is sold. I would not buy this in future.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with American Auto Shield for over a year now. Their sign up process was good. I heard about them on the radio and I called and spoke to some guy, and he talked me through it. It was easy.

American Auto Shield Company Profile