2.75/5
  • 1 star
Based on 56 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

80 American Auto Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My truck is at the dealership, teardown took forever, they ended up removing my engine take it all apart. Then I had to wait for inspection. That was done, had to wait more. Then claim was accepted and processed. My new engine was on the way. Well the vendor says the carrier delivered it… dealer has no engine, when the carrier was asked to produce a receipt, all it has is squiggly lines, unreadable, no name. So there is no engine. They said they would email the engine vendor… email?? Why not just pick up the phone and call them?? I asked what happens if this engine is not found? Answer… “I don't know… it's never happened before.”

So I am stuck between the warranty company, the vendor, and a shipping company. This is crazy, the agents have been pleasant talk and respectful. But I am unsatisfied with an imaginary engine, and doing nothing but emailing their vendor, and I have to wait more. The engine was supposed to be here yesterday. All they can do is tell me I have to wait. I shouldn't have to keep waiting. Ship a new engine, and let's move forward, or use the dealer's engine, and resolve my problem, rather than make me wait, and have my truck hijacked in this mess.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

American Auto Shield told me that something was covered but when I went to them, it's not. The warranty I got from them was supposed to cover the stuff that would go wrong with my car but when I filed a claim with them, they said they just dealt with the motor. I'm on a fixed income and I had to put up the money myself because I needed my vehicle fixed. They weren’t really good in terms of the time it took them to respond to my claim either. They also said I should pay the 100 dollars first and they will be at my place. So they have been putting out at a time when I needed help. I started paying them off but so far, they haven’t done what I thought they would do and I'm dissatisfied.

Hello Alma,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield (AAS) is the claims administrator of the service contract you purchased from the seller. We do not sell service contracts directly to the public, nor are we a payment plan company. Therefore, you did not speak with an AAS representative regarding the purchase of your contract or the coverage provided. With that said if there was any confusion during the sale of your contract, we apologize and will forward your concerns to the seller.

As your claims administrator, we sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve your claims to your satisfaction. Because we must adjudicate claims per the terms of your contract, we are only able to administer payment for failed parts listed as covered in the contract. We are not able to administer payment for parts that have not broken or failed, but for which a repair facility recommends repair or replacement. Additionally, the customer is required to pay the deductible stated on the declaration page of the contract. With that said, we were happy to pay a portion of your claims for those parts listed as covered by your contract.

Section B of your contract defines the components/parts covered by your contract, along with any terms and conditions regarding the same. Specifically, your contract lists engine, transmission, cooling system, transfer unit (4x4), drive axle, electrical, steering, air conditioning, suspension, brakes, electronic high-tech, fuel delivery, turbo charger, seals, sealing boots and gaskets, and audio center. If you have questions about your coverage, please feel free to contact us. One of our Customer Support Specialists will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Regarding any delay in the administration of your claims, we understand how stressful it can be being without a vehicle. Our records indicate three claims were initiated under your contract. The first claim initiated on February 28 was authorized and payment was administered on February 28. The second claim initiated on August 30 is inactive as it is our understanding the vehicle was moved to a different repair facility. The third claim initiated on August 31 was authorized and payment was administered on September 1. If you were inconvenienced in any way during these times, we sincerely apologize.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you have any questions or should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I've been paying American Auto Shield for a long time but on the first time I made my claim, they never helped me out. I called and this guy gave me attitude. He said they won't pay the full amount for fixing my car. They said that they would have to co-fund of some contract they had to do and I have to wait for a couple weeks. But that's the only car and I needed to fix the car to go around so I paid for it. I was fed up and I'm not going to have anything to do with them anymore. If they don't do what they were saying they're going to do then I can find another place to go to. I'm a veteran and I can go to USAA to do all this stuff.

Hello Misivisa,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claim service. Our records indicate a claim was initiated on February 20, 2017. American Auto Shield authorized the claim and payment was made to the repair facility the same day, February 20, 2017. If this is not the claim you’re referencing, please advise so that we might better address your concerns.

We’re sorry to learn you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times. We sincerely apologize if this was not the case, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

If you have any questions regarding your coverage or claim, or should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We value your patronage.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

My car got to be 100,000 miles and I wanted to have an extended warranty. I used American Auto Shield once for $200 and they covered the claim. But the next four times I took my car to the garage to have repairs done, they wouldn’t cover any of it. I paid almost $3000 for the plan and I was very disappointed in it. I called and talked to them down there and they said that because of the way the plan was worded, they wouldn’t handle it. I ended up talking to a gentleman named Rob and he explained stuff to me. I told him that I was going to cancel the plan and he said that I'd be in trouble without it.

When I took out the policy out, I was told that different things would be taken care of but every time something happens, American Auto Shield says it’s because the car is old and there’s rust and everything else. But it's not the way it was taken out to begin with and I paid it off in full within the 18 month period. I would never go through the plan again.

Hello Earle,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield (AAS) is the claims administrator of the service contract you purchased from the seller. We do not sell directly to the public; therefore, you did not speak with an AAS representative regarding the sale of your contract, you did not purchase your contract from AAS, nor did you submit payments to AAS. Furthermore, the representative you spoke with regarding cancellation is a representative of the selling company, not an AAS employee.

As your claims administrator, we sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve your claims to your satisfaction. While we do not like to deny claims, we are unable to administer payment for repairs for parts not listed as covered by your contract or for repairs for parts specifically excluded by your contract.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Do you have any idea how rude and belligerent the people in your Claims dept. are? My car was in the shop 3 1/2 weeks. I had been turned down for the work. I decided to make one more call to your Claims dept to tell them how their denials affect peoples' lives. I got real lucky. The woman who answered seemed to understand transmissions: she discussed the issue with a different manager, and, they finally approved it. You see, I needed my car to put my belongings in storage - due to hurricane Irma. When I bought this policy I had every intention of KEEPING it for as long as I owned my car. Because of the way I was treated, I cancelled it. Furthermore, I had recommended your company to my friends. Needless to say, I have rescinded that recommendation.

Hello Sally,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry to learn you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times.

We also sincerely apologize for any delay the inspection of your vehicle may have caused. With that said, we were pleased to pay for your repairs.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope we have satisfactorily addressed your concerns. We’re sorry to lose you as our customer, but wish you the best in your future endeavors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Ok. Had the vehicle for a month. Luckily I had another truck to drive. But my frustrations is in the phone calls and the complete lack thereof. It would be nice to be called with updates, instead the repair facility is telling me, "Well we're waiting on them [my insurance]. I would call for a update, be told something and as soon as we know something different we will call you." But no one called. I had to call in days later to find out things. I know something got messed up with the mileage but the lengthy delay should of been avoided. Also you tell me to take it to AAMCO because they are a preferred company of yours then you send 2 inspectors out to verify what they are telling you and me. From my point it looks like you don't trust them.

And lastly I don't agree with junkyard parts being put in. But hey your company is covering it till my warranty is up. So hopefully this transmission holds up. Hopefully this all makes sense. Just put yourself In my shoes. I was without my truck for a month, the rental program doesn't cover that much time, and besides I didn't use it.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We regret that you were told you would receive a call back but did not receive one. Excellent customer service is vital in making the claims process as easy and stress-free as possible for our customers. We value your patronage and regret that you received less than exceptional customer service. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

We also apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to delays caused by either our claims department or the parts vendor we utilized. Please know we have addressed these issues and sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Should you have any further issues with your vehicle or your transmission, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My experience has been ok. Only thing I didn't like is when I need your services for an approved auto fix I had to wait because y'all were waiting on my dealership ship to call y'all about a part when I feel like y'all should've reached out to them because I'm paying y'all. But anyway it was settled.

Hello Garrett,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. Suggestions such as yours allow us to learn and grow as a company so that we may provide a superior service for our customers and their repair facilities. We have forwarded your suggestion to our claims department manager for discussion!

Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

After 2 detailed conversations with the original salesman and his supervisor and payment of almost $3,000, when I attempted to use the coverage that I had paid for, I was told my vehicle was excluded because it was a commercial vehicle - which had been repeatedly explained before I signed up that my vehicle was used to transport tools to worksites. After numerous phone calls, they reviewed the taped conversations, and found out that in fact these discussions had taken place and that there employees had screwed up! I eventually received a refund for the money that I paid but this was a totally irritating experience and I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield (AAS) is a claims administrator; we do not sell vehicle service contracts directly to the public, nor do we accept payments for service contracts. An American Auto Shield representative did not speak with you regarding the purchase of your vehicle service contract or how your vehicle is used. If you were inconvenienced in any way due to the sale of your contract, we sincerely apologize; however, your review regarding the sale of your contract should be directed towards the seller of your contract, Carshield, not American Auto Shield, the claims administrator of your contract.

Furthermore, you did not speak with an American Auto Shield representative regarding the review of any sales calls associated with the service contract you purchased. If a representative from another company made an error during the sale of your contract, we sincerely apologize. However, your review should be directed towards the company you spoke with regarding the sale, the company who may have reviewed the sales call with you, and the company that issued your refund, Carshield.

With that said American Auto Shield performed a complete review of your contract, claim, and any phone calls made to or from our office that are associated with your claim to ensure your claim was adjudicated properly. Per our records, you indicated to AAS representatives that your vehicle is not a commercial use vehicle but that it is used to haul tools from job to job. However, the Carfax report indicates your vehicle is registered as a commercial use vehicle, and the inspection report, performed by an independent inspector, which includes interior and exterior images of your vehicle, indicates your vehicle is used for commercial use.

Because your vehicle service contract did not include coverage for commercial use, we advised you that a commercial use surcharge would have to be added by the seller to proceed with your claim. AAS referred you to the seller of your contract, Carshield, regarding the same. Per our records, you cancelled your contract through Carshield, who then issued you a full refund.

Thank you for your feedback. We hope we’ve satisfactorily addressed your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I did not like having to pay extra for refusing an aftermarket part, I was informed by 2 different mechanics that the aftermarket Compressor would not last. I had to call and talk to 3 different ladies to find out what was the reason that they haven't given the Ford dealership to do the work. The last lady I spoke with had somewhat of an attitude about me refusing the aftermarket part.

Hello Connie,

We sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve your recent claim to your satisfaction. We are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Per the contract you purchased, you may choose one of our part options, or you may choose a part provided by a dealership or repair facility of your choice, per the terms and conditions of your contract.

We’re also sorry to learn you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times. Please be assured we do not take these matters lightly. We will review any calls made and received regarding your claim, and appropriate action will be taken if necessary.

Thank you, again, for bringing your concerns to our attention. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Do NOT buy from ANYONE cold calling you to extend your car's warranty. Either walk into your dealer and inquire about extending it, OR do some research and pick out a 3rd party vendor. I'm looking into Mercury's Extended Service. This company insisted I had over a deposit that would allow me to 'review' the service for 30 days and then extended that to 60 days, with a full refund if I canceled. When I advised I was looking into multiple companies and would not do anything until then, they informed me that they worked directly for FORD and if I did not make a decision right then, they would have to provide me with a Cancellation Number that would eliminate me from EVER buying this coverage through Ford. Of course, that is pure BS, because they don't know which car I own or any other pertinent information. Beware of companies like this!

Hello David,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield serves as an administrator of vehicle service contracts. We do not participate in the sale of these plans. As such we do not contact consumers by telephone with regard to purchasing vehicle service contracts or other products we may administer.

Authorized third-party marketers and auto dealers who sell on behalf of multiple companies are only associated with American Auto Shield in the event the vehicle service contract sold is administered by our office. With that said, if someone is misrepresenting themselves as American Auto Shield, we appreciate your bringing it to our attention.

If you are able to provide us with any additional information that can help us determine who contacted you, such as the name of the company and/or the telephone number from which the call came, we’d be happy to research this matter further so that we can address it accordingly. Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I don't even know where to begin on this review! I purchased coverage from Auto Shield for my 2005 Range Rover. Back on April 14 2017 I went out to my car and started it. Heard a LOUD banging, popped the hood, figured it was coming from inside the engine. Immediately shut the vehicle off. I called the claims department and they towed the vehicle to the shop. Waited over a week for an adjuster to get out there. He started the vehicle so he could hear the sound (remember this, it becomes important later on). He filed his report and paperwork and I had to wait almost a week more to find out what was happening.

They FINALLY called me back to say they were covering the incident but would need to tear down the engine to the point of failure. So now another week+ goes by. Adjuster goes back out, says the engine needs to be torn down even further. The shop asks why, what's the point, there is metal shavings and plastic pieces throughout the engine. OBVIOUSLY the engine is no good at this point. Auto Shield insists that it needs to be torn down more... 2+ weeks have now gone by and over a month of going back and forth.

Adjuster is called back out to inspect the engine, finds scoring and damage to the heads. Files report... Few more days go by, FINALLY get someone back on the phone again. This person then explains that they will cover the broken timing chain tensioner but not the rest of the engine that was damaged as a result of the failure. Their reasoning, "extended run-time and continued use after damage detected".

The engine was on for about 45 seconds for me to pop hood, go to the front of the vehicle and hear it coming from the engine, then shut off... Remember when I said this will be important later... THEIR adjuster started and ran the engine at the shop while he was inspecting it, causing more damage to the engine... At this point I am losing my mind with these people. It's been about 6 weeks or so and now I am being told I will need to pay for 80% of the repairs AND for all the teardown needed on the engine that THEY requested (required)...

I ask to speak to a manager, a few more days go by... It is now the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend. I get a manager on the phone (Mike if I remember correctly). He goes over the report. After about 10-15 mins. of total silence on the phone he says this is wrong and we are going to cover this. WOW!!! FINALLY!!! Someone with a brain... He tells me that he will file the paperwork for approvals and that it will be about 4 days for the engine to be shipped. But that it won't get approved until Tues (after MDW)... So probably Mon-Tues the following week my engine would be at the shop... GREAT, THANK YOU!!!

I wait... Wed June 31st, still no call from the shop. So I call AAS back, they said it shipped out... I wait... 2-3 more days... I call them again, can't get Mike back on the phone, no returned calls, NOTHING from them... Another week or so goes by... STILL NO RETURNED CALLS FROM MIKE!!! Finally get someone on the phone, Wendy... She is very friendly and helpful... Finds out the engine they ordered is LOST!!! WTF!!! So they order another one (4-8 more day to ship)... Engine finally shows up... WRONG ** ENGINE!!! They sent the wrong year... The next day... The engine they lost shows up... WRONG ENGINE!!! So the shop offers to find one and have AAS reimburse them... They do, and get the right engine shipped out. Shop recommends that AAS do a tune-up, oil change and change out the seals/gaskets. AAS elects to only do an oil change...

Shop gets the engine installed, I go to pick it up and the check engine light comes on (FYI, we are now in mid-late July!!!). They check the codes and the thermostat from the "new engine" needs to be replaced. AAS after quite a few calls and A LOT of arguing finally pays for it. Drive away... Check engine light comes back on... Get it scanned... O2 sensors in BOTH banks all of a sudden reading bad.. Replace all 4 O2 sensors (at my cost). Check engine light comes back on, same codes. Also now getting codes for air intake leak and air/fuel mixture lean.

Shop takes it back in and runs a leak/fog test. Finds a couple leaks in the manifold. The same one the shop rec. that AAS replace while the engine was out. They fix those and a few other ones... Now I am close to $1k to diagnose, find, fix the leaks from the new engine that they sent me. The check engine light is STILL coming on...

We are now at Nov. 1st 2017. In 13 days it will be 7 months and I STILL do not have my car back and am having to deal with the issues of this engine that they put in my vehicle. The shop and I called AAS yesterday to see what they were going to do. Their response "the contract does not cover seals and gaskets" the guy on the phone must have repeated that 50x and that he had 20 years of technician experience!!!

So my response to them was, you guys replace my bad engine with another BAD engine and now it's my responsibility to diagnose all the problems and fix all the issues with the engine. I asked them, do you not warranty what you have put in the vehicle to be in good working order (insert 10 more times of him repeating "contract doesn't cover seals and gaskets"). It simply blows my mind that they can somehow justify putting a ** engine in my car and now it's my responsibility to fix the numerous deficiencies with the engine. So after going round and round with this guy on the phone also named Mike (not sure if it's the same one from May or not) he then hangs up on us!

Also, since I didn't and STILL don't see an end in sight I actually had to go and buy another vehicle since I have to commute for work and meet with clients out of the office on a regular basis. So before I had a bought and paid for car. Now I have a $400+ a month car payment and insurance on a second vehicle (been paying insurance for the last 7 months on a vehicle I haven't even been able to drive!!!)

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My car was old when I got it but it's still in good condition so I wanted an extended warranty for it and got coverage from American Auto Shield. So far I’ve done three claims with them. The first one and the only major issue I've had was in 2012 for the ABS system. I was out of a car for a week but they handled the claim well. The mechanic that I took it to handled all the business along with the paperwork. And when I contacted American Auto Shield their representatives have been nice and helpful. There are some things I feel they should cover but for the price that I paid for the warranty and the service that I’ve received I will recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

The warranty was about to wear out on my truck so I decided to get a vehicle service contract from American Auto Shield. I've submitted a claim with them to get my fuel sensor replaced and they were prompt about it. They're terrific and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Purchased a contract with American Auto Shield last Dec. 2016. Had car problems in Mar. 2017 and was not told to put in complaint until 08/10/2017. At that time I faxed all the receipts, including a towing charge, to the fax number in the booklet (I have confirmation that the fax went thru and a witness). I called them on month after and was told by them that they did not receive the fax, even after showing the proof. They told me to refax it again. I had paid $5 for the first fax and due to what it says in the contract, it is not necessary to keep faxing more than once. Especially since it was confirmed that it did go thru.

I contacted the BBB of Colorado for an answer to this problem, and have not received one, even though it has been over 14 days from when the BBB notified the company. So my next step will have to be legal action with the Attorney General of Louisiana. My truck has been sitting about two months in the repair shop and this is uncalled by a business that advertises fast service and can trust! As a matter of fact, it is downright fraud and harassment.

I am now out about $1800 in repair bills and towing charges, and my truck still sits in the repair, with nothing being done. They have been withdrawing since last Dec. $199/mo from my bank account. I do intend to sue them for a complete refund of my money and the stress I have been thru and will never knock on their door again.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your feedback. Per the contract you purchased on December 13, 2016, service records may be required before authorization is given for repairs. As previously explained, we did not receive the service records necessary to process your claim.

Our records indicate we provided you with both a fax number and an email address to resubmit the necessary service records. Unfortunately, because you declined to resend the service records as requested, we were unable to proceed with your claim. We do apologize that we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction. Thank you again, for your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I bought an extended warranty for $4,200. The salesman said "If you have any problems just take your car to the dealer, we'll get you a rental and use a company account to pay all the expenses." Of course it was too good to be true. My transmission went out and I took it to the dealership. AAS told the Volvo dealer they had to send my car to a transmission shop leaving me with the $200 diagnostic fee at Volvo. Next day I had it towed to Amco and they said AAS wanted them to take the transmission apart and find out what exactly is causing it to slip. And if what's causing it to slip not coved in the warranty I would be in charge of the expenses. AND they can't get me a rental until after an inspector comes and approve it and they didn't know when that will be.

I also paid extra for A/C repair. I had a leak in my A/C line and when it came time to get it repair ironically they told me my A/C warranty covered everything but leaks in lines. Long story short I ended up paying for the repairs myself and being out of $4200. (Advice From This Experience) *DO NOT buy an extended warranty. Open a car maintenance account for these expenses. My total repairs was around $1,800, way less than the $4200 I paid for the warranty.

Hello Reginald,

We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the claims process. Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, because we are the administrator of the contract you purchased, not the seller, we have contacted the seller to review your initial conversation with them concerning rental car reimbursement. Please be advised that American Auto Shield does not provide rental cars for our customers. Rental car reimbursement is provided per the terms of the contract you purchased from the seller.

Because we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, we were unable to provide coverage for items reported by the initial repair facility as they are not listed as covered in the contact you purchased. Additionally and per our records, the vehicle was initially at a repair facility that was not capable of internal transmission work; therefore, it was advised that if you chose to proceed with internal transmission work, the vehicle should be moved to a facility that was capable of that type of work.

Finally, our records indicate that our adjuster advised the repair facility to diagnose the vehicle to the point of failure to determine contract coverage. Unfortunately, we have not heard back from the repair facility; therefore, the claim is currently in a “pending” status. Should you wish to proceed or should you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly. One of our Customer Support Specialists will be happy to assist you.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

When I purchased the contract I wasn't given all the true obligations within it and when I called in the rep let me know that that is why they send out the booklet and it is our responsibility to read it in and out and that most customers don't take out the time to read it. It has been over a month since I've requested a refund and have not heard from anyone concerning my refund.

Hello Donna,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield serves as an administrator of vehicle service contracts. We do not participate in the sale of these plans. As such we do not contact consumers by mail or telephone with regard to purchasing vehicle service contracts or other products we may administer. With that said, we’re sorry to hear one of the marketer’s representatives may have treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

Furthermore, the marketer, Carsure, is responsible for refunding any monies due for the contract you purchased from them. As a courtesy, we contacted Carsure regarding your refund. Carsure submitted documentation indicating a refund via credit card was processed on August 25, 2017. If for some reason you did not receive this refund, please contact Carsure directly.

Thank you, again, for your feedback. If you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Auto Oil Leak and Water Leak. Job was completed ok. But It Took 4 days to complete Because Firestone and Auto Shield could not come to an agreement. No one called me during this time. I called Firestone they said no authorizing number was sent. I then called Auto Shield they said there was a disagreement with purchase price of parts. After 4 days they agreed and authorized the job.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I filed a claim for replacement of alternator. When I called to check on the claim, I was directed to an adjuster named Barry. Barry has a disgusting attitude. He's condescending, rude, and he made it very clear that helping customers with the cost of car repairs is a low priority for AAS. He acted as if AAS strictly requires me to satisfy him and my satisfaction as a customer is of NO importance at all. He acted like I have a duty to buy car-repair-insurance from AAS. Barry is a bully and should never be allowed to talk to customers. If Barry's attitude represents the character of AAS, AAS is greedy and has no business pretending to care at all about customers.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claim and that you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I wanted to protect my investment so I got a service contract with American Auto Shield for my vehicle. It runs on diesel and it usually gets a lot of mileage. I’ve filed a claim a couple of times and the first time was with a radiator and it went okay. But it took time because they kept trying to beat the price of the Ford dealership that was doing the repair work. And that is a vehicle that I drive every day and I needed it back. I didn’t get it back until I started threatening to get a rental vehicle. And it was going to cost them so much to pay and they were going to lose what they had already beaten before placed down on the price for. So then automatically they approved it.

Then the latest claim was for one of the diesel fuel injectors. They said it’s an internally lubricated part that they don’t cover. It cost me $600 out of pocket so far. The mechanics submit the claim to American Auto Shield and for both times, they had the mechanic on the phone for over an hour. It cost him money, which American Auto Shield don’t care about. A diesel mechanic gets around $100 an hour, so this guy lost $100 or more both times. It should just be either a no or yes answer to do it and they cover it. So my mechanic pretty much doesn’t want my truck back in there again if I’m making a claim. American Auto Shield doesn't cover a lot of stuff. Don’t deal with them. I’m thinking about dropping them.

Hello Brian,

We’re sorry to learn you weren’t completely satisfied with your claims service. Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’ve reviewed your contract and corresponding claims and have determined that your claims were administered properly.

Regarding your first claim, the repair facility initially contacted us on 7/10/2017. Unfortunately, they could not report the part that failed or the cause of failure at that time, as required by your contract. Additionally, we did not receive a call back from the repair facility regarding diagnosis until 7/12/2017. However, once the repair facility contacted us, our adjuster authorized the claim the same day.

Regarding your most recent claim, while we do not like to deny claims, as an administrator we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Unfortunately, your contract does not have coverage for seals and gaskets as stand-alone repairs. With that said, we were happy to reimburse you for your towing expense for this claim.

We apologize that we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction, but we thank you, again, for your feedback. We value your patronage. Should you need our assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

The customer service representatives were always helpful when I spoke with them. My only constructive criticism with my claim would be the length of time it took to reach a decision regarding the claim. There were many times I called to make sure they did not need additional information and they would say they did not, but they actually did need an additional service record. If this had been caught sooner I think my claim would have taken less time to reach a decision. I have been without my car for 7 weeks now and I have two jobs, one of which requires me to drive two hours each way. This has caused some stress and difficulty, but I am thankful that my claim was finally handled and I should have my car back in the near future.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

American Auto Shield has good customer service. She was really nice and knowledgeable and that was a good experience.

Hello Manuel,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re so pleased to hear your experience was positive, as it should be! Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Someone called me many months ago and went on and on about trying to convince me to go with AHS and after paying a bit of money into it, I had no choice. I had to finish the contract. I have not received back what I have paid into it, but I'm not going to complain because it's water over the dam. It was on a Tuesday when I found out my car wouldn’t start and I knew I had to take it to Sauve’s because I like to patronize locally. We're in a small town, and I waited and they quickly went through the car and told me what it needed to have done. I knew that I'd have to leave the car there. They even have two cars that they lend to people whose cars are being worked on, but the man gave me a ride home and I didn’t think it would be ready then until Thursday. But Tuesday, at 4:00 in the afternoon, he called and said that it was ready. I was extremely pleased with the work they did. It is an older car, so I feel very confident using it now.

I had actually forgotten about the American Auto Shield insurance until Wednesday morning and I think God planted the idea in my head that I have insurance. So I called and right away they were on top of it and they contacted Sauve’s and then they called me back once for the original estimate from Sauve’s was lower than what it actually cost them. It all has worked out in my best interest. I only had to pay $500 something and Auto Shield dealt directly with Sauve’s bill. I was happy that they helped me out. I'm a retired senior on a living limited income and it really made a difference for me.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have a new vehicle so I acquired a vehicle service contract. I have one claim with American Auto Shield. I took the car to the shop, they called American Auto Shield and everything was taken care of. Everything worked fine.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to review our services. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know that your vehicle service contract is taking care of your repair needs, as expected.

We’re glad to have you as our customer. Should you ever need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

As a Retired Military service member I am very apprehensive about dealing with companies that cold call me especially with the wrong vehicle info but I gave them a shot. I had the policy for a few months and had an issue with my vehicle, filed a claim and was told they were canceling my policy, the claim was denied and to call the broker company (Cartection) to get a refund. They said the claim couldn't be paid because my vehicle showed up on "CarFax" as a Branded Title vehicle or uneconomically repairable vehicle. I sent them 2 state titles that show otherwise and they still refuse to pay the claim, my vehicle is in the shop with over $6k in repairs to be done & the broker company Cartection says it will be 3 weeks before I will see a refund.

I filed a complaint with the Department of Insurance as well in Georgia, Colorado and California to deal with this matter and warn others "Buyer Beware!" These companies should be held to a higher standard when qualifying contracts as and spend the extra money to run actual state title information like a real insurance company does, not relying on Car Fax. Nowhere in their contract does it say Car Fax information will be relied on for the adjudication of these claims!

Hello John,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield serves as an administrator of vehicle service contracts. We do not participate in the sale of these plans. As such we do not contact consumers by telephone with regard to purchasing vehicle service contracts or other products we may administer. Authorized third-party marketers and auto dealers who sell on behalf of multiple companies are only associated with American Auto Shield in the event the vehicle service contract sold is administered by our office.

Additionally, while we do not like to deny claims, as an administrator we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Because the contract you purchased specifically excludes coverage for repairs if your vehicle is a grey market vehicle or has ever had a title indication of salvage, junk, branded or other designation indicating that the vehicle had been stolen, wrecked, destroyed, water damaged, or otherwise damaged to the extent that it was considered to be uneconomical to repair, we were unable to administer payment for your claim. Because the contract would not have coverage for this or any future claims, the contract was cancelled and any refund due would be issued by the seller.

We sincerely apologize that we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction. We thank you for your service and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 31, 2017

My car was losing a toll on of antifreeze per week. Couldn't see a leak. Dodge dealer said a bad intake manifold gasket. If your car is disabled what good is a warranty if the gasket is not covered? Air conditioner and cooling system covered complete is what I was told. I will make sure everyone hears of this too! I should have known better. All service contracts are misleading to the point of fraudulent. My attorney will go over this for sure. Meanwhile save your money. Pay for your repairs.

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. While we do not like to deny claims, as an administrator we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Unfortunately, we are unable to pay for parts not listed as covered in the contract.

We’re sorry that we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback. Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our Customer Service Specialists are happy to assist you.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I bought a vehicle service contract from American Auto Shield for at least 2 years after I watched their commercial, just see how it goes. I didn't know anything about it and I said to myself, "Well, it won't be a bad idea to have." That time, I'd probably get rid of the vehicle and only keep them about every two years. I had it looked at before I even bought the insurance. The mechanic did some work to it, did a wheel bearing on it and stuff. I asked him how it looked and he said, "It looks pretty good. But you know, it's not a bad idea. You'll never know if an engine blows." But about eight years ago, I got a car, drove it for about six months, and the engine blew.

I've called them and submitted a claim for service. I talked to them and they just come up with it and there is nobody else to go to, "No higher up," is what the guy told me. They were willing to send three adjusters out to look at it three different times and keep the vehicle out of my service. One guy inspected it and said "Yeah, it slips. The transmission does slip. Yes, it does." After they broke the car down, another guy says, "Well, I can't really tell what the problem is. Something internally is happening, but I can't explain why." They then came up with a few sets of air pockets in the casting of the car, and the truck ran from '06 through 2017 fine. But now the casting on the transmission case had pockets in it. That just doesn't happen, and it just doesn't go away.

What I come down to is that it was just their excuse not to pay a claim. They're a fraud. They will be more than happy to accept your money then they don't do anything about your claim. I have dealt with extended warranties before on vehicles, and when they find the problem with the car, they just either replace it with a new part and get it done. It cost me about a total of about $500 in the time I spent with their guy. That was my only claim. I don't claim just because I got insurance, I'm not one of those people. I didn't even ask for a rental car while my vehicle was out. I borrowed a vehicle from a friend for the longest time and wore out my welcome there. He was pissed at me for as long as I took. I'll never go back to them and I'll be out of the contract in any way I possibly can. It's a very pissful experience, and would I ever, ever think of doing it again? No way. They're horrible.

Hello James,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We regret learning that your experience was unsatisfactory. As an initial matter, please know that there are supervisors and managers to address any concerns you may have regarding your coverage or claims, should you need to speak with someone directly.

Please be advised that we do not send our adjusters to inspect customer vehicles. However, when a repair facility is unable to determine the cause of failure as required by the terms and conditions of the service contract, the administrator may assign an independent inspector to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to the vehicle. Furthermore, while we do not like to deny claims, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Per the contract you purchased, a transmission case is covered only if damage is caused by a failure of any internally lubricated part within the transmission. Unfortunately, there was no failure demonstrated by the repair facility to any internally lubricated parts within the transmission.

Please also be advised that the vehicle service contract you purchased provides rental car coverage from a licensed vehicle rental company for authorized and coverable claims should you need assistance in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback. We sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction, but we hope we were able to satisfactorily address your concerns. Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: June 3, 2017

When I got the contract, I was told that I would pay a monthly payment. If I had to have repairs, there is courtesy towing as well as Rent-A-Car, $100.00 deductible and the plans pays the rest. I tried to use it for repairs three different time, each time I was denied the repairs. The first time I had to wait 30 days before using it. The second time the parts were not covered. This last time, I was told that the water pump and radiator would be covered, two of six parts damaged, by the water pump housing breaking. A week later they told me the claim was denied because the water pump is under warranty from a company. Here is the kicker, they would only cover the two parts, the rest I would have to pay for.

The tow company was only a $75.00, anything after that for tow I would have to pay for. The rent a car, I would have to get on my own and they said they would reimburse that cost. So paying the monthly amount, any amount on tow and rent a car if I got one, then the cost of what the shop did not get from the warranty. To me it seem nothing I was told is what it really is. The contract book is so confusing that it's hard to know what is covered and what is not. The frustration from the time my truck broke to this day is over the top as well the stress. I have put in just under $1,000.00 from monthly payments, the cost of repairs I had to do because I could not use this warranty is just over $1,000.00. The money I paid to this company is just a waste and I was not able to use it.

Plus some of the people had no clue. The person setting up for a tow truck, I was on the phone with for close to three hours, trying to explain where my truck was broke down at. I tried telling her just tell the tow driver, they should know right where I was. Thank God my brother showed up. Got a tow company to tow my truck. The trying to get information from people in the company about my truck was just as bad, I was either talking to the wrong department, or kept getting disconnected. They said their phone messed up, right. Then we had to wait on the adjuster from yet another company to go look at my truck and they would decide if the company would pay or not. I kept telling them I have no transportation but they kept saying, "We will see if we can push them."

It took four days for them to get the information for adjuster and decide they would not cover it. Then trying to cancel this plan, was just as bad. They tried everything they could to get me to change my mind, by this time I was so mad if I could of choked the person through the phone I would of. It does not matter who or about you, it's all about the company. Also if you're on a limited income like myself this is not for you, you have to have a good saving amount, or you will be like I have been this week. Stressed out, frustrated. It's not worth it.

Hello Waverly,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the claims process and appreciate the opportunity to address each of your concerns. To clarify, American Auto Shield is not the seller of the contract you purchased, and we are not your payment plan company. AAS is the claims administrator for the service contract you purchased from the seller.

While the contract you purchased includes roadside assistance benefits, including towing service, the services are administered by an independent nationwide roadside assistance administrator, not AAS. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with this service and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We will address the same with the administrator.

The contract you purchased includes rental car reimbursement for authorized and coverable claims. However, American Auto Shield is not a rental car company, and we do not provide or make arrangements for rental car service. With that said, rental car coverage, when applicable, can be obtained from any licensed vehicle rental company of your choice. Many repair facilities have loaner cars or have a rental facility on-site. However, if your repair facility does not provide rental cars, simply contact your local rental car company and retain your receipt.

While we do not like to deny claims, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased; therefore, we must adhere to the waiting period condition in the contract terms, we are only able to administer payment for failed parts listed as covered in the contract, we may assign an independent inspector to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to the vehicle, and if a covered part is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, repairer’s guarantee, or other service contract, or insurance policy of any type, then such warranty, service contract or insurance shall be primary, and coverage under the AAS contract shall be secondary.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are sorry we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction, but we hope we’ve addressed any questions or concerns you may have. If you should have any additional questions regarding your coverage, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: May 28, 2017

My CV shaft was leaking grease all over exhaust of my 2008 Subaru. I contacted American Auto Shield. They told me to take it anywhere I wanted even the dealer. I set up a appointment with Cannon Subaru of Lakeland, FL. Arriving at Cannon showed them my paperwork. They said no problem. They work with this kind of thing all the time. I left my car. A couple days later I get a call from Cannon saying they can't finish my repair because of issues with American Auto Shield. I find out that American Auto Shield wants to send parts to Subaru that they won't install. Now I'm stuck with my car torn apart waiting so I call American Auto Shield. They say that's the way they work.

Wish someone would have figured that out ahead of time. So Subaru tells me that I will have to pay for parts. Well when I go to pick up my car American Auto Shield barely paid half and it cost me over $300.00 to get the keys. So 4 months later the other side shaft does the same thing. I call American Auto Shield. Same story. I ask if I could do repair. They said no. So instead of doing the same thing over I bought my own parts. Repaired my car for $84.00.

Hello Leonard,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t completely satisfied with your claims service and that your repair facility would not install the parts offered to repair your vehicle.

With that said, we’re glad we were able to pay a portion of your claim. Should you have additional questions about your coverage, please don’t hesitate to contact us. One of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to address any concerns you might have.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I got American Auto Shield for over a year now at the same time when I bought a used car. My engine light came on, so I had all the spark plugs and the gas was changed. It was still misfiring on number 6 and nobody could figure out why. I thought it might be the transmission but they weren't really helpful. They were saying I have to pay for $65 an hour to put it on this machine and I haven't had the money for that. So I went and got an ignition coil put on number 6. I'd be able to get a rental car for four days and American Auto Shield will pay for them. But if it's a transmission, it takes more than four days, then I'm just stuck and got to pay for it myself. There's also something wrong with what they cover. I thought I'll get it bumper to bumper. I have an automatic payment set up for this and it seems I'm paying for something I can't use. It wasn't very pleasant and if a friend asks about them, I'll tell them to check around.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: May 22, 2017

I did not have a good experience with your company. Five weeks to wait for a repair is an excessive amount of time. Every time I would call, the representative was polite and answered questions. When they have transferred me to claims adjuster, I was treated like a stupid woman. One thing they do excessively well is make excuses and they have the best in the nation ways to hold up progress. Started out needed diagnosis then would call inspector. Then needed car torn down further, then needed more tests, then needed back to diagnosis, then waiting on inspector, then waiting for inspector report, then needed pictures. For five weeks. I really cannot identify where the bottle neck was - but your responsiveness is horrible. It is my wish that someone look at the process and review for problems and inefficiency and go solve the problems so your company can continue to be successful.

Hello Kathryn,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claim and that one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional when you contacted our office. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please be assured we do not take these matters lightly, and appropriate action has been taken.

Regarding any delay in your vehicle’s repair, unfortunately, the repair facility was unable to determine a cause of failure or confirm the extent of damage; therefore, we assigned an independent inspector to determine the cause of failure prior to issuing authorization for repairs, per the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Our records do not indicate that the inspector caused any delay. The repair facility contacted our office on a Friday, the inspection was immediately scheduled, and a report was received the following Tuesday. Our records do indicate, however, that there was a delay in receiving information from the repair facility, including the final invoice necessary to process the claim and pay for the repair.

With that said, we’re pleased we were able to process and pay your claim. Thank you, again, for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

American Auto Shield Company Information