Hello Angela!

Thank you for taking the time to review our services and for your continued business and support. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know that your vehicle service contract is taking care of your repair needs, as expected.

Should you ever need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Original review: March 15, 2017

American Auto Shield has always stood by me whenever I had service done on my Jeep. I just had the Service Department call American Auto Shield. The rep explained to the Service Department what was covered and what wasn't, and my Jeep was repaired. American Auto Shield has taken care of me for years and I am very grateful!!

Hello Gwendolyn,

We appreciate your taking the time to give us your feedback, and we hope that our Claims Manager was able to address any concerns and answer any questions you might have regarding coverage and our obligation to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Should you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We value your patronage.

Original review: April 19, 2017

My warranty was about to run out and I saw the commercial on TV so I acquired American Auto Shield. I’ve used it several times but they didn’t pay everything that they said they would pay. They say bumper to bumper, but that’s not the case. Then it takes too long to approve the work that they are trying to do. They notified me the next day and tell them what’s all wrong with the car. But then they don’t agree with that. They shop around to see if they could get it done cheaper. They said you can use any auto service you want. But if you don’t change it to another service that’ll do it cheaper, then you got to pay out of pocket. I don’t think that’s fair.

I have a Cadillac so I took it out to Orr Cadillac. That’s where I get things serviced or repaired, at the Cadillac dealership. But they seem to think that the Cadillac is charging too much. They are only paying a certain amount for this car. If the service is covered, why not pay the full amount that they’re saying it takes to repair it?

I’m considering changing to something else because I’ve paid out of pocket more than they claim when I first enrolled in it. So it is $100 deductible and I wind up paying $400, $500. I wouldn’t recommend it. Now a cheaper model car, I can. But a Cadillac, no. It takes money to repair those.

My experience has been excellent. Customer service is polite and caring and personal. Spend necessary time to listen to your issues. Approval takes only a few minutes for covered repairs. The company strives to be the best. In opinion, they are. American Auto Shield - keep it up!

American Auto Shield is a nice coverage to have if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long extended time over the years. It help saves on expensive auto out of pocket funds. Just don't like that they use manufacture parts.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. A Customer Service Specialist will contact you within 48 hours to personally address your concerns.

Original review: April 13, 2017

One of the most horrible and frustrating experiences I've ever been through in dealing with a warranty company. The customer service was horrible, as well as the way the claim (Transmission failure on Yukon Denali) was handled with my GM dealership. I will discourage ANYONE from ever purchasing a warranty from this company. As a result as well, my GM dealership had such a horrible experience, that they will now refuse work from any customer who comes to them with this warranty. The adjuster over the phone accused me of maliciously damaging my vehicle and was most difficult to deal with.

Both the dealership AND and an industry expert hired as an independent adjuster recommended a replacement, but the warranty company adjuster drag the claim out, pushing for a repair v/s a replacement, knowing that a repair would be more expensive than a replacement. He also drag the claim out for weeks... causing me the customer hundreds of dollars of rental car expenses. I've went to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and made sure that they realize what a horrible name they would be making for themselves by recommending American Auto Shield to any of their customers. The dealership that performed the repair, stated to me that this was the worst experience he'd ever had in dealing with a warranty company and that they will not perform work on any customer's vehicle that is a warranty claim through American Auto Shield.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. Per the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, repair or replacement of covered parts may be made with parts of like kind and quality.

With that said, we’re glad we were able to pay your recent claim, and one of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to address any additional questions you might have about your coverage. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I have only used the warranty once. So far I have not be impressed. Owning a Porsche, I wanted Porsche replacement part in lieu of aftermarket parts. This warranty only covered about half the cost of repairs. Would not recommend!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My service contract on my vehicle expired and I needed one which I got from American Auto Shield. The dealer submitted a claim for me. My transmission was broken down and then Auto Shield sent somebody out to look at it. Then the decision was made to replace it which was done with a used transmission that had 96,000 miles on it. American Auto Shield paid for it. But I still had to pay $900. The labor was $131 but my contract was only good for $100 an hour and there were some other items that I had to pay for. It's been an okay experience with American Auto Shield but I don't know if I will renew it.

Hello Gail,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the claims process. Per our review, American Auto Shield processed and paid each of your claims per the terms of your contract, including your most recent claim. If you have additional questions or concerns regarding your prior repairs or coverage, please feel free to contact us directly.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Don’t go with American Auto Shield. They didn’t want to honor a repair. I am disappointed in their service towards the end. I had a couple of things done before and I think they were covered, but they gave Volvo a hard time. All the interactions were all through Volvo. I had a claim two months ago for a gas gauge. It took a while and they didn’t want to pay for it. I think I had to pay for part of it. I had always took my car in for repairs for a warranty, so it shouldn’t have been a problem with them covering it. I wouldn’t recommend American Auto Shield to anyone else.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My vehicle had gone over 100,000 miles and outlasted its warranty. So when my local auto repair place gave me three warranty providers, one of which is American Auto, and I called each of them for information. American Auto Shield offered me a fair price and they were very nice, so I decided to pick them. I recently had a claim because the steering mechanism of my vehicle broke while we were on an out-of-state trip. It was a very unusual situation because no other dealer or place stocks that part and they had to be ordered from the factory. The situation was critical since we're travelling but the manufacturer of the mechanism managed to come up with one and we were inconvenienced for only three days, so in the end, we're very happy.

Their customer service had been fine until the end when it was extremely difficult to get a hold of them. I had the reps name and number that I call and leave a message to, but no one ever called me back. It ended up it didn’t make any difference because shortly after, we were involved in an accident where someone totaled our car beyond reasonable repair so there wasn’t any need to pursue it at that time. The car was going strong at 168,000 miles until the accident. The driver and passenger doors behind me were hit, the post between the two doors was cracked and the air bags fell out immediately. The cost of everything made it not economically feasible to do any repairs. So they scrapped it and moved on to another day. We also contacted them about a few things and everything was handled well and there were no issues. I was very happy and satisfied with American Auto Shield. I would recommend them to anybody that asked me.

Hello Dorothy,

We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. American Auto Shield is obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased; therefore, we were only able to administer payment for those parts listed as covered in your contract.

With that said, we’re happy we were able to pay a portion of your claim, and one of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to address any additional questions you might have about your coverage. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need any further assistance.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I paid per month for a year and I paid the whole thing. I didn't have to use it but one-time on the last go right after all the money had been paid, I found out something was wrong with my car. I almost had forgotten that I had the Auto Shield insurance. That's the part that I was unsatisfied with. So, the Cadillac team filed the claim after they found out what was wrong with my car. But, American Auto Shield wanted me to pay a little money on the side. I had more than one thing done but they only half covered one thing.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went down on a Mercedes dealer and I said, "You hear of these guys?" They said, "Yeah. We heard of them. We deal with them. They're good." So that's how I chose American Auto Shield. One of the guys called me when I was in the midst of a problem and he was very helpful. Also, feedback was very good. It was a messy episode and it cost me a lot of money but it was okay. They did a good job, and I'm very satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was told that the contract with American Auto Shield would cover certain defaults or whatever problem that may occur. But after I took out the policy, it doesn't cover some of the things that they said would be covered like the radiator. They were also trying to give me the runaround behind the transmission. I took it to the Ford store but they're saying that it wasn't the transmission. I called the other day and they said that I could take it to a transmission shop. But it's been hard to take it to the Jaguar shops and when I did take it to the Jaguar shop, they were telling me that it wasn't covered. But I'm going to attempt to take it to another transmission shop and I'm having to pay out of my pocket for some other mechanical problems.

Hello Mr. Hernandez,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. A Spanish speaking Customer Service Specialist reached out to you by phone today and left a voice mail. We’re sorry that we missed you. Please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience. In the meantime, please be advised that American Auto Shield (AAS) does not sell vehicle service contracts directly to the public, we do not contact consumers by phone or mail to purchase products or services, and we are not your payment plan company. American Auto Shield is the claims administrator of the vehicle service contract that you purchased from the seller.

Our records indicate that your vehicle has primary coverage through a powertrain extended warranty, which you purchased prior to purchasing additional vehicle service contract coverage administered by AAS, and that the primary extended warranty covered a portion of your recent repairs. Per our last correspondence, please submit for documentation and review a copy of your primary extended warranty so that we may determine what, if any, coverage may also be available under your vehicle service contract for any additional repairs.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly at our toll-free number. A Spanish speaking Customer Service Specialist will be happy to speak with you.

Original review: March 24, 2017

When we got contact by AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD the offer us the best extended warranty they have. AAS told my wife that our extended warranty was about to EXPIRE or that probably we didn't have extended warranty anymore. My wife buy this AAS warranty. We have been almost making payments. ABOUT 7 week ago we took or SUV to service transmission. Was going out. DEALERSHIP CONTACT AAS. They call us and told us that it will be cover. After a few weeks in the shop. The shop call me and told me if I want to buy part to fix my transmission or if I decide to get the used transmission that AAS was will to sent out. Either way I was going to pay out my pocket. So I told the shop to figure out how much. Shop call me and told me close to $5000 and that AAS ONLY was going to pay $2800. I will pay the rest.

After talking to shop call AAS and got hang up and call back, got told by one of his bilingual speaker that that's why we should read the contract or if we didn't SPEAK English to have someone READ it to US. To make sure on what was cover and what's not. Told agent that they lie to my wife about us not having an extended warranty. And how come they didn't need ANYBODY to translate to help my wife set up auto paid. THE END WE ARE GOING TO GET OUR SUV FIX THRU OUR EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT WE GOT WHEN WE BROUGHT OUR TAHOE. How was denied to paid because they said that it should go thru our extended warranty first and then AAS. Feeling upset, mistreated and confused and misunderstood.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’m 82 years old. I have trouble getting around and I don't know if my condition may worsen to the point where the neurologist will say that I'm not able to safely drive. So it's better for me to have a 4-yr old car than to have a year old car and have to give it up. It's another $50,000 when you trade every four years and I'm not into that. And I like to save a little bit for my kid for the nursing home. One time, I asked my son how come the cars he's buying are used but it's warranted up to 100,000 miles. He said that extended warranties are available out there. So when I saw an ad, I thought I would try it if I wasn't going to buy another car. I then got in touch with American Auto Shield and told them I would pay them cash and I wanted it right off in the best price they could give me. They called me back over half hour later, made an offer and I got it for about half of what they initially offered it for. I thought that was quite a savings, so I was satisfied.

I'm glad that I bought the extended warranty because before I purchased it, I had a vacant window in my car warranty which expired after I got 50,000. I lived in Florida four months a year and it turned out that I didn’t have any coverage, but my dealer back home told me he would’ve covered it. There was also a time when my headlight went out and it cost me $1,400 which was outrageous. That's how expensive the car parts are.

But one of the features of AAS that I'm against with is that they only pay for parts from secondary market. So when my rear wheel bearing went out and I bought a new one through the dealer, they charged me $18 or $20 more than the secondary auto market was. But I've had this twice and they've taken care of it. Their service has been very good, too, although it takes a little extra time when filing a claim since I need to wait and talk to the dealer and the dealer needs to get the approval of the warranty guy. That takes a couple of telephones, back and forth, but other than that, I’m very happy with AAS and I would recommend them.

I had to file my first claim after only a few months of using American Auto Shield when my engine died on me unexpectedly and I was expecting to have to jump through a dozen hoops just to get things done. Amanda was incredibly friendly and willing to help me get everything done. They never once treated me like I was trying to scam them like so many other places that offer similar services have in the past and I went away feeling like I got exactly what I was paying for. Would definitely recommend giving them a shot and seeing how it works out for you.

Came in handy when I needed it. Few hiccups but nothing life altering. Just some minor delays that were easily worked out. Happy with the result. It's not a perfect system but really what is. Were there when I needed and that is really what I was after.

Hello Anil,

We’re sorry to learn that you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. While we do not like to deny claims, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract that you purchased. With that said, if you have questions regarding your coverage, one of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to answer any questions and discuss any concerns you might have.

Please feel free to contact us at our toll-free number, 800.531.1925, or you can visit our Support Center at http://support.americanautoshield.com for fast online support and response.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Auto Mechanics have called from shop about five times for various reason and nothing has been covered. Auto Mechanics were given reasons. So for future customers, please read the contract as not much is covered and there are many exclusions which a layman like me can't understand when policy is sold. I would not buy this in future.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with American Auto Shield for over a year now. Their sign up process was good. I heard about them on the radio and I called and spoke to some guy, and he talked me through it. It was easy.

When I was initially approached with the purchase plan I thought I would later regret my decision to enroll but I must say this was the best decision I have made. I have had to use the warranty three times and have been pleasantly surprised by the quick responses for approving coverage. Thank you Eddie for working with me thru some financial difficulties.

I was skeptical at first, without a doubt, but over time I began to slowly have faith in American Auto Shield to do what they said they would do. Fix my Vehicle. Whenever I had an issue with my one ton truck, I would be in doubt if the repair would be covered. But after one year of covered service and driving over 100K miles, they were still with me paying for all mechanical repairs needed. I drove 100K miles, all over the United States, and American Auto Shield was always there ready to help when asked. I am a satisfied customer.

Dear Ms. Rowles-Tamez,

Original review: March 17, 2017

We purchased a new vehicle and I attempted to cancel the policy since December, did not receive my refund until March. Between being told I had to call different people and complete different documents with each company, step in the process I was very frustrated. I completed multiple memos requesting to cancel services and each time I called I was told something different. "We're processing the refund." "We didn't receive the memo." "You have to call the company you purchased it from". The company was quick to send a discontinuation of service letter when I did not send my payment on time.

Dear Mr. Irwin,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns regarding the cancellation of your coverage. Your contract allows for a prorated refund based on the time and mileage not used less any paid claims and cancellation fee. A Customer Service Specialist will contact you within 48 hours to personally address your concerns and answer any questions you may have.

Original review: March 16, 2017

These people are crooks! When I first purchased the policy I was told that if I were to ever cancel it I would get a pay off of mileage unused and time left on my policy. This is not true! I just cancelled my policy and they told me that they didn't owe me anything because they paid out all the money they owed me in claims. This is not what I was told when I bought the policy... Just one more example of how these people work. This is the third time I've been burned by this company. Read your reviews before you buy an extended warranty.

I love the service team. I had my starter replaced on my car. I called them and they said, "Take it to the repair shop of your choice and we'll take it from there," and they did with no problems.

Dear Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We sincerely apologize that you were not happy with your claims experience. However and as previously explained, for insurance reasons an inspector is not permitted to drive a customer’s vehicle. The vehicle must be driven by a representative of the repair facility, and it is the repair facility’s responsibility to duplicate the customer’s concern upon the inspector’s arrival. Unfortunately, the repair facility could not duplicate the concern, causing the delay.

With that said, we’re glad that we were able to eventually obtain the information from the repair facility necessary to authorize and process your claim. Someone from our customer service team will be contacting you within 48 hours to address your concerns. In the meantime, should you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact American Auto Shield.

Original review: March 15, 2017

The errors made in analyzing the problem created a 4-day delay in AAS authorizing the claim. The auto was in the shop and based on AAS staff the driving of the auto to failure would negate the contract. The $160 limit on auto rental would have been sufficient if you had done your "ride-along" properly. This is confirmed by the repair shop and other transmission experts.

Dear Ms. Rogers,

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We strive to provide excellent customer service and regret the experience you’ve had. A Customer Service Specialist will contact you within 48 hours to discuss the same and help assist with a resolution.

Original review: March 15, 2017

The last time I had to use this service it was a frustrating experience. A lot of back and forth between the repair shop and Auto Shield. It was not an easy process. Passing the buck so to speak. I think it would be easier if your company contacted the repairs shop.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our coverage and services. We pride ourselves in training our Customer Service and Claims Specialists to be professional, courteous and supportive. We are pleased to hear that was the experience you were provided with, as expected.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may need in the future. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Overall experience was good. Had two appraisers look at work to be done. Work was done and Truck running great. Happy with the service. Had some hiccups but always found a representative that was willing to help. Glad I got the extended warranty. Need my vehicle to get my days tasks done.

Recently on a road trip north to visit friends I experienced the death wobble - very un-nerving! Went to closest Ford Truck Division Dealer to evaluate the problem. Presented documentation for American Auto Shield of Lakewood, CO, which actually the vendor is Car Treaty out of Santa Ana, CA. The representative would not discuss any warranty items with me and requested only the service manager speak with her. That is the first sign that your right to information has been compromised.

The service manager was very good, knowledgeable and professional. No complaints with him whatsoever. The quote for the procedure to replace the trailing link bushing requires removal of tie rod ends and a realignment due to their removal and bushing replacement. The folks at American Auto Shield stated that their All Data labor for the replacement of the trailing link bushing was. 9 hours. Actually to replace the bushing with all the front end components removal and install totals 4 plus hours with the alignment on top. So in actual terms of cost for the bushing ($75.00) the labor to complete the evolution at $110.00 per shop hour ($429.00) which totals $504.00, the warranty company only paid $119.92. That is only 24% of the total bill.

I have the AB Deluxe warranty package which I paid $2808.00 for 5 years and 100,000 miles. I purchased this warranty package with American Auto Shield after my extended warranty with Ford Motor Co. was expiring. Needless to say I hope which car company you have that you get the extended warranty through them only. Not to say that all warranty companies will nickel and dime the service center, however my experience recently with this warranty company was below average. If I can't speak openly and honestly with a company representative about my vehicle's condition, that sends up a big red flag in my mind. I will have to keep my contract with this company through the duration of my commitment, but I advise strongly looking past this company for your extended warranty needs.

I had brought my auto for repair for a tested bad alternator. American Auto Shield has to be falsely manipulating the info in alldata software as they are saying the repair and diagnostic should only take 45 minutes to replace on a 2008 Toyota Tundra V6 4.0 engine. First of all my Diamond package warranty does not state that alldata software is used to determine the repair labor cost and part. Instead of me just paying the deductible of $100.00 they also had me pay a extra portion of the labor total $235.78.

This company is very fraudulent. I have contacted the Texas attorney general's office and will also fill a complaint with the BBB. I advise all that have done business with this company to do the same. I asked for all the data for my vehicle year, make, model repair information from alldata software and they say they cannot supply. You would think our government would have laws to protect us from these companies. After the BBB my next move is to go to my local news agency.

Called to cancel policy within 30 days after re-reviewing the policy (which reads as a 15 page DISCLAIMER). Realized that I had been hounded by Telemarketers for almost two months and that I had signed under duress. My request to the representative Ms. Gina ** was rudely rejected as not meeting her specifications. Whether she represents works directly for National Auto Division or American Auto Shield, I had been hounded for over two months by their telemarketers when on August 17, 2016 E. **, a snake oil salesman-- called to told me that the company I was already with was a rip-off fly-by-night outfit which did not honor claims, that I needed to change my coverage right then as time was running out. He stated he had nine complaints from my company on his desk which he was working with to get those persons' vehicles covered because their claims were not being accepted.

I realize now that ** is paid by commission and needed to push a sale before the end of the month. The final kicker is the rude disrespect by Ms. Gina ** with my cancellation request from National Auto Division. Advice... unless you are actively looking for extended warranty coverage DO NOT agree to anything where the call did not originate with you. Do Not deal with any TELEMARKETER.

American Auto Shield / Empire Consumer Services / Liberty Auto Protection are fraudulent companies that implement their fraud by hiding behind each other. Empire Consumer Services, based in California, is the selling agent. American Auto Shield, based in Colorado, is the administrator of policy and Liberty Auto Protection, based in New Jersey, is the parent company. Empire Consumer Services sells the fraudulent auto policies for Liberty Auto Protection. They promise they will cover mechanical issues with your vehicle, take thousands from you, but their policy administration is another company, American Auto Shield, who denies all claims, even when the parts are listed as covered.

Empire then says they will get American Auto to cover the claim, but Empire never calls or emails you back. Then, American Auto sends you to the parent company, Liberty Auto Protection, who says they need more time to work with Empire to enforce American Auto to pay the claim. This is a SCAM. Your claim will NEVER be covered. You should have a negative rating on them. They are very dishonest people. Americans should be able to trust that their governments would stop this kind of behavior, but it seems that hiding in different states allows this to go on.

I have 100 deductible for my warranty work and now they already found a different alternator rather than dealer part they had at Auto Zone and now disputing the labor cost at Fairway Chevrolet. 3 days over 116 dollars they don't want to pay. Doug ** actually referred to YouTube video for reference of the speed an alternator can be change out.

American Auto Shield Company Profile