American Auto Shield
It's that easy Start my quote
1.47/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Auto Shield’s coverage options will satisfy most needs. Although American Auto Shield only works through dealerships, their large number of plans and acceptance of high-mileage and older cars make them a good choice.

PROS

• Large number of plans available
  • Lenient age/mileage requirements
  • Motorcycle/ATV coverage

CONS

• Only sold through dealerships
  • Expensive towing fee

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

10/13/2018

They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim … Thank you Auto Shield.

11/10/2018

I was accepted and given a great deal on an extended warranty for my car. This completely made my day. I am going to recommend them to my friends and family. I don't have anxiety planning a trip to visit a friend of mine who lives 5 hours away from me.

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers six plans. The three most comprehensive plans are the Deluxe, Premium and Diamond plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan that American Auto Shield offers.

The Platinum plan and Deluxe plan both have component coverage, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional customizable coverage packages that customers can tack on.

DeluxePlatinumDiamond
Type of coverageComponentComponentExclusionary
Car age limit20 years20 years9 years
Mileage limit150,000 miles100,000 miles90,000 miles

American Auto Shield's powertrain coverage plans include the following: Powertrain, PT Silver and PT Gold. Powertrain is the most basic and affordable plan. PT Gold offers the most coverage, while PT Silver is a hybrid of the two.

PowertrainPT SilverPT Gold
Type of coveragePowertrainEnhanced PowertrainExpanded Powertrain
Car age limit25 years25 years25 years
Mileage limit250,000 miles200,000 miles200,000 miles

American Auto Shield coverage

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicle needs repairs. American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old. This is much older than most companies will cover. The mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also high. American Auto Shield offers 24/7 customer service, available both by phone and online chat.

Rental reimbursements are $40 a day for up to four days. That’s $160 in total. This is an average rental reimbursement policy. American Auto Shield has a $75 towing fee. Most extended auto warranties, however, allow for complimentary towing with every plan.

Do we recommend American Auto Shield?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with high mileage. Their additional benefits leave something to be desired, but their wide array of coverage options mean most customers will be able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield is able to cover motorcycles and ATVs.

195 American Auto Shield Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have had an extended warranty plan with American Auto Shield for 5 years, my agent was great with explaining every detail to me and happy to answer any questions I might have. More than anything is that everything was exactly what he told me it would be. Therefore I had no surprises! Also, not every dealership welcomes the idea of an extended warranty. In fact, in my experience, they hate that you have one and try to give you a hard time, but the folks at American Auto Shield have been very helpful with stepping in and assisting if and when I needed them to. So now that I have the option to renew my contract, I'm happy to do so because they have saved me over $2000 in out of pocket expense and have been nothing but patient, friendly and professional. Yes, the plans can be expensive in the long run but definitely worth it! I highly recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I was concerned at first due to the fact that I felt like I might be getting the runaround. This was not the case. They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim. They paid it and even covered things I wasn’t sure they would without hassle. I originally gave them a two star but want to upgrade it to a five. Thank you Auto Shield.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was completely happy with American Auto Shield. The A/C quit all together. I called American Auto Shield and they gave me a case number. I brought my car to Philpott Toyota. They found several problems. Phillpot called American Auto Shield. An inspector came and agreed with the findings. My car was fixed and I was totally happy with the repairs on my car. I thank you. I have already told my friends how happy I am with my American Auto Shield. Thank you very much!

Hello Joan,

You’re very welcome! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We’re delighted to read you’re happy with your vehicle service contract and claims service. Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I was very concerned about the cost to repair my car and really did not know what to do. She was patient kind and very knowledgeable. I really appreciated her. This is my very first experience with your company and I must say, first impression have made me a believer in you. Her name was Eawwma, not sure of spelling,

Original review: July 17, 2018

Great customer service, speedy service. I will recommend American Auto Shield to everyone. This was my 1st time using the coverage and I didn't understand. The rep took the time to explain. Very helpful.

Hello Degwanda,

We’re delighted to read you were satisfied with your claims service! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and for being an American Auto Shield customer!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: June 6, 2019

I took my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder into the dealer for a check engine light on Monday, June 3. The car was shuddering and just driving wonky. I called AAS to let them know I’d be bringing it in, and asked what was the protocol regarding rental car, repairs, etc. I asked if I rented a car on my own, would I be reimbursed because I could not be without one. I knew I had four days acc to my contract. I was told that if the claim was approved, I could be reimbursed. Perfect.

Dropped the car off at the dealer, hooked myself up with a rental, was told they would contact AAS (as I was told by AAS was the protocol as well, and is written in my contract). I left there at 12pm. I spoke with the dealer who said he called them and he was told that AAS would be sending out an inspector. My transmission is shot. I also received a call at 3pm on that day from AAS that they did, in fact, need to send out an inspector. He would be sent out within 24-48 hours.

I called the dealer yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, June 5) and he said that the inspector told him he likely wouldn’t be out until Thursday, June 6. That would be day three of my out of pocket rental. Based on reviews I’ve read, I’m sure this “inspector” will try to weasel his way out of this and say I don’t need a new tranny. The dealer warned me that, on the phone, the company said something about tearing it down all the way so it would look like something they wouldn’t have to cover.

Listen, I have no problem going through my husband's law firm to make sure every penny of my claim gets paid. I specifically bought this plan (as did everyone else who was scammed) for the peace of mind that no one seems to be getting. I fully expect to hear back today from this inspector and this company that my transmission will be replaced at no cost to me beyond my $100, which includes reimbursement for my rental car. I don’t want to spend another 5+ hours on the phone waiting to be schmoozed, and I certainly don’t want my dealer wasting his time on the phone either. Just get it done. This is ridiculous.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I have a 2012 Cadillac EXT (Truck Model) and it had a problem that need to be covered by the warranty that I purchased. I was referred to a local repair shop that owners the AAS warranty. Took my vehicle there and from that point on this has been a total nightmare. I had taken the vehicle to the local Cadillac dealer and they were very quick to tell me that they won't honor this warranty as you can never get ahold of anybody. Which I am finding out now.

Long story short, It is now 3 weeks and my car is still in the repair shop while the warranty company is trying to SEND parts to repair shop because the AAS can buy the parts cheaper than the repair shop. If any thing I can pass on is under no circumstances would I ever do business with this warranty company again and I would suggest no one else does either. You can never get anyone to answer the phone unless you sit on it for at least and hour or more. They never never never answer. PROBABLY THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD WITH A WARRANTY COMPANY. It appears that this may not be published as per the warning.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Below are receipts submitted to your company by my mechanic. There seems to be a lot of back and forth on your company’s end and multiple requests for the same info which has also resulted in multiple inspections. This appears to be a strategy to belabor the issue and not move forward with the claim process. Please understand the added inconvenience this is causing me. I do not have access to my car and yet American Shield continues to delay the process. I am intentionally putting this in writing and starting with the records department. Should this method not result in an amicable and customer focused outcome, I will take all necessary next steps.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for your feedback and the opportunity to respond to this matter. Per our records, on May 21, 2019, your repair facility contacted American Auto Shield to initiate a claim on your behalf for items including the water pump, radiator, timing chain, A/C compressor and power steering rack. On May 21, American Auto Shield requested a customer statement, service records, and an inspection of the vehicle was set to determine causes of failure and extent of damage. On May 22, an inspection of the vehicle was performed; however, cause of failure to the timing chain, the extent of damage, and coverage could not be determined without authorization for further tear down.

Our records indicate that American Auto Shield advised you and/or your repair facility on several occasions that authorization for further tear down of the vehicle was necessary to determine coverage for the timing chain. Because on June 12, the repair facility advised you elected not to authorize further tear down, a second inspection of the vehicle was not set and instead, on June 12, American Auto Shield created an authorization for any verified, covered repairs. On June 17, American Auto Shield received a signed repair invoice from the repair facility, and payment was issued to the repair facility in the amount of $1,146.39 for those repairs covered by the contract. If you have any questions regarding your claim or coverage, please give us a call.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I had a bad experience with another warranty company that did not honor their contract with me which made me skeptical getting another contract with another company but Mr. ** from American Auto Shield made me more comfortable and happy with the coverage I received.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 29, 2019

I will be filing a lawsuit against this company and Carshield. First of all, this company never contacted me, even after filing my claim via their online website. The only way I had received information was through BMW. The company never contacted me once, and after trying to call a million times and being on hold for 30+ mins, I gave up on trying to contact the company myself. I took my car into the shop at the end of February and left it there for a month because I did not hear anything from the company. We picked up the car about a month later after having to pay for it ourselves.

I called AAS and spoke with a rep, they notified me that the claim had became inactive a week (give or take) after the car had already been looked at by an adjustor sent by the company. The rep on the phone said that I and BMW both did not authorize whatever it was that Carshield/AAS needed to do. It obviously had been authorized if they sent out an adjustor to look at the car. I had BMW send the final invoice a month later after the rep told me to fax it on the phone. I have yet to hear from the company or receive any information on the claim, therefore we will be suing.

American Auto Shield response

American Auto Shield is unable to identify the reviewer as someone who has had a genuine service experience with our company. We reached out to the reviewer via ConsumerAffairs on June 10 and June 21, 2019, to obtain additional information so that we may research and resolve this matter. Specifically, we requested the customer's Contract Number, Claim Number, or the last 6 digits of the covered vehicle’s VIN. The reviewer has not yet responded with any information or documentation of her use of our company’s services, and we are therefore unable to properly address her concerns at this time.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 28, 2019

Please, Please do not buy a warranty from this company!!!! Absolutely a 100% scam. Had a coolant leak. Brought to my Ford dealership on May 20th 2019. It was my water pump. My service adviser was on hold 3 separate times over 90 minutes. Finally got a rep on the phone. Because the cost was $2400 to repair they needed to send out an adjuster. The adjuster showed up 4 days later on the 24th. Then told my service adviser he needed to send in the adjuster report. Finally got a call back on May 28th. Had no car for 8 days. The jerk on the other line from American Auto Shield very nonchalantly said that the coolant wasn't the correct type so they denied the claim. Which is total BS.

My Ford Service adviser said the experience was so bad with this company that they will never accept an American Auto Shield warranty ever! I have been paying $135.00 a month for 1 year to this crooked company. Makes me sick to my stomach. One more thing you should know. Because they couldn't approve or disapprove my claim, you can't get a rental car. You can but you pay. Also, my repair requires the top of the motor to come off and also the timing belt. So even if the claim was approved I would of had to pay for timing belt, head gaskets etc. This is a gigantic SCAM!!!

American Auto Shield response

We very sincerely apologize if you or your repair facility experienced any hold time or were inconvenienced in any way during the administration of your claim, and we appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention.

During the claims administration process, American Auto Shield relies on the opinions of the customer’s repair facility and on independent, unbiased, third-party inspections and their supporting photos and written documentation (the inspection report). In this case, the inspector's opinion of cause of failure was a long-term water pump failure. In addition, the inspection report revealed incorrect fluid installed in the system. While we do not like to deny claims, we are unable to pay for apparent pre-existing conditions or for breakdowns or failures resulting from lack of proper and necessary amounts of fluids.

We are sorry to lose you as a customer, but if you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to call us.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have a Powertrain extended warranty with American Auto Shield. I was told by the Buick Service Department that I needed a transmission & engine mount on 5/3/19. The service dept tried to contact the company by leaving messages. They never heard back. I found out that their outgoing recording tells you to leave a message for call back, but that doesn't even work!! Clue #1, they don't have a greeting with correct instructions. I had to request that they do a 3 way call with me & the service facility. Fast forward 10 days (10 DAYS!!) - my claim was approved. It took the company 10 days to approve the claim & informed me that the transmission they would use has almost 161,000 miles on it. I am going to let that sink in for a minute. They are putting a transmission with over 160,000 miles in my vehicle! This is a nightmare!

The poor man on the phone could not believe this was the option they were giving me. He felt bad telling me that this repair would be warrantied. Oh great, so that I can waste another 14 days of my life trying to get a repair. Most transmissions do not last that long...Everyone knows that! Here, let's put your life at risk by placing an older than dirt transmission in your car. Aren't you satisfied?? The response that I have been given each time I call is "oh well we will warranty the 160,000 mile transmission, so if (it isn't if, its when) it breaks, we will fix it. Oh, lucky me!!

Let's talk about the next part... They are covering 4 days of a rental. They took that long approving the claim!! They know this! It has been 11 days & the repair hasn't even started. I am beyond furious!! They said they will try to approve additional days, but I won't hold my breath.The customer service people are nice when you call, but the claims adjusters who call you are the rudest! They are condescending, sarcastic & not helpful at all! This experience was so bad that the Buick Dealership said that they will no longer accept claims or any warranty work from American Auto Shield again after my repair. They are shocked & refuse to waste their time after this.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you with a resolution. We were very sorry to learn you felt any of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We always expect each of our representatives to be courteous, and we sincerely apologize that you feel this was not the case. We genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Your feedback will help ensure we provide consumers with an improved customer service experience in the future. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I had an issue with turbocharger. Auto was with car dealership and then I sent it to my mechanic. Both dealership technicians and technicians from my mechanic stated that turbocharger needs to be replaced. Submitted several documents. Called multiple times. Each time given different reasons why turbo not covered. Adjuster looked at auto and stated that it might be turbo charge. I would think that the technicians from BMW would be best to decide that the turbocharger needs to be repaired than a adjuster. Had to pay 2850.00 out of pocket to repair turbo charge. Will file a small claims court in Massachusetts for reimbursement. I also submitted paperwork from BMW stating turbo needs to be replaced. Will let court decide. Be careful.

American Auto Shield response

We are sorry we were not able to resolve your recent claim to your satisfaction. We are unable to administer payment in situations in which there is no verified failure to the vehicle or for parts that have not failed, but for which a repair facility recommends repair or replacement. If you have any questions regarding your coverage, please give us a call.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I purchased this warranty on March 26, 2019 to have peace of mind. Well when it came down to needing a repair they of course find a way to weasel out of paying. My check engine light came on. I took it to get the code read. It was a underboost problem. I took it to Pep Boys May 29, 2019 for diagnostic. Well the mechanic said it was the turbocharger was bad. The warranty sent a adjuster to take photos. Based on photos they said it was the valve that was leaking and therefore would not honor the repairs. Pep Boys would not just install the valve due to the entire turbo is bad, making a whining noise nothing to do with leaking valve. I picked up my car from Pep Boys on May 1, 2019, (and canceled my policy with American Auto Shield on May 1, 2019). (I’m still covered until May 26, 2019 since I paid for this month. I just won’t get billed in June and won’t be covered in June).

So then I took my car to the dealer (May 2, 2019) to get valve replaced. They said it was the turbo itself and is making a whining noise on load and needs replacement NOW! If I leave it like that eventually will DAMAGE my engine and that the valve did not cause that, and to add Insult to injury when a turbocharger is purchased it comes with a pre-installed valve so I paid for the valve $300.00 which I still now have to buy a turbocharger $2,600.00 parts and labor which comes with a valve, and under the contract it says TURBOCHARGER IS COVERED! And I’m stuck having to pay out of pocket.

I wish I had read all the complaints before purchasing this scam warranty. I canceled my warranty. I refuse to pay for a service that when I need them they will not pay. I just made my payment on April 27 so I guess I’m still covered one more month if anything else goes wrong, but I seriously doubt they will cover anything. They prey on hard working people.

I heard about CarShield on Talk Radio (Mark Levine) and he needs to read all the bad reviews before he recommends a scam company like this one. I trusted Mark Levine about this company AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD warranty since he is a public figure. I thought would only back a legitimate company. I’m emailing him next. Bottom line American Auto Shield needs to honor replacement of turbocharger, since it’s broken and valve has nothing to do with it. I WILL WARN PEOPLE ABOUT THIS COMPANY. They will find a way to weasel out of paying. Fernando **.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to satisfactorily resolve this matter through the Better Business Bureau. While we’re sorry to lose you as a customer, we have processed the cancellation of your service contract as requested. If the refund is not received in a timely fashion, please contact us directly.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I have spoken to this company twice. Once to confirm the issues regarding my truck and once to inform them about maintenance on my vehicle. BOTH times have resulted in insane wait times to actually speak to a person! On top of that, my service rep at the dealership has told me he stayed on hold for almost two hours. To top that off, I’m now STILL waiting for an inspection for my truck...gone on two weeks now! Pretty sure the dealership has way more qualified individuals to “inspect” my truck. God help you if this process does not speed up and get me back in my vehicle.

American Auto Shield response

We were very sorry to hear about your experience and appreciated the opportunity to resolve your claim. Please be assured we are taking actions to provide our customers and their repair facilities with a better customer service experience, and we are committed to returning to excellent service levels that we are proud of and that our customers rightly expect. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I have had this warranty for 2 yrs and have nothing but issues. They have terrible rude customer service and their response time to work with shops is truly pathetic. Unless you can afford to be without your vehicle for days or weeks they are pretty much worthless. If at all possible don’t buy one of their plans. It’s not worth pennies let alone thousands of dollars.

American Auto Shield response

We’re sorry you feel this way and appreciate your patience as we reviewed your concerns and claims. Unfortunately, we are unable to pay for parts not listed as covered by your contract, but we can often negotiate repairs to save you money. We are also sorry to learn you feel our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We expect and train each of our representatives to be courteous. We sincerely apologize that you feel this was not the case, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Your feedback will help ensure we provide you with an improved customer service experience in the future.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I am a service adviser for a dealership and deal with dozens of extended warranty claims a week. In most cases, I spend between 5-20 minutes per phone call to these companies. That is not the case with American Auto Shield. I started a claim three days ago and the timeline is as follows: Day 1, made initial call and spent 35 minutes on hold without ever getting a powertrain adviser. Called back later and was told the wait time was 1 hour, but if I called at the start of business the following day it would be much quicker.

Day 2 I spend 47 minutes on hold before getting an adviser, and then another 30 minutes starting the claim. The only silver lining here was the adviser, Mike, was very thorough and efficient and respectful of my time. The next step was sending an inspector, which occurred early on Day 3. Was told by him I should get a call at noon. Having not received one, I placed a call at 3 pm... As a matter of fact, I'm still on hold after 1 hour and 36 minutes. I understand being busy and high call volume, but I have 15-20 other customers to assist throughout my day, and these kinds of wait times are very prohibitive. If getting your car in and out of a shop quickly, and you value your service adviser's sanity, I wouldn't choose American Auto Shield. That is all.

American Auto Shield response

We wanted to follow up to let you know we appreciate your feedback, and we were sorry to hear about your experience. Your time is valuable, and we apologize that you weren’t provided with the customer service experience you should rightly expect. American Auto Shield is taking actions to provide our customers and their repair facilities with a better customer service experience, and we are committed to returning to excellent service levels. We reached out to you privately, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: April 13, 2019

After 3 days trying to find someone in my area that will deal with car warranty companies because of not being able to get their money having to to travel 40 miles away to a facility that they recommended and would work with them the first day. On hold for 1 hour. No callback. Next day 9:00 EST called back to attempt claim. Second day gave me an excuse of not enough info. Went back as instructed. Put on hold. Facility spoke with claims. Was put on hold. Was told they would would be contacted shortly through email.

While on hold I called claims department because facilitator was getting nowhere. When I asked the rep his name he gave a name of Imadu. Told me that they were closing in 2 minutes. Call back on Monday. I asked if the facilitator should continue to hold. He said no one will be here to answer their call and no one did. So I am still waiting and the brochure says peace of mind. Yeah right. Working on one whole week to get something accomplished or even an answer.

American Auto Shield response

We were very sorry to hear about your recent experience and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention so we could resolve your claim and get you back on the road. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Bottom line here folks is, I cannot express enough caution in these two companies. It is truly sad that you want the best for you and your family and instead you are hustled and mislead until the day you attempt to make a claim. Then you realize that you have just given the money you work for so tirelessly day in and day out for "This isn't covered." If you're on the fence trying to decide if you want to spend another $140.00 a month, this should give you your answer. I am a true American and not someone that has been paid to write a bad review. This are factual events that I have personally experienced since throwing my money in the trash to these fabricators.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for your patience as we reviewed your concerns, coverage, and corresponding claims. We are sorry you feel this way! You purchased a Powertrain Plus Vehicle Service Contract, which provides coverage for mechanical breakdowns or failures to the components/parts listed in the contract. This includes some of the most expensive parts of the vehicle, including the engine, transmission, drive axle, cooling system and more. While we are unable to administer payment for components/parts not listed in the contract, we were happy to administer payment for the repairs to your vehicle’s drive axle. Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This is the single worst customer service of my lifetime. Literally hours on hold, no callback, 4 days and counting in the shop and these people don't give a hoot. One of the worst companies in America. When a call was actually picked up, the agent was snide and dismissive. I demanded a supervisor and guess what - more hold time. 40 minutes. That person committed to part delivery that day, a day later - no parts. This company should go out of business TODAY!!!! This company clearly has ZERO leadership and exists solely to take your money. And do not let CarShield off the hook, as they contracted with these stooges to process their warranties. Do not subject yourself to the "care less" customer service protocol practiced by this disaster of an operation.

American Auto Shield response

We were very sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We are taking actions to provide our customers and their repair facilities with a better customer service experience, and we are committed to returning to excellent service levels that we are proud of and that consumers rightly expect. Again, we sincerely appreciate your bringing your experience to our attention. Your feedback will help us improve our operations and services.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Purchased extended auto warranty for all 3 of my vehicles about 5 months ago. Took one in for repair, not covered, ok but the repair shop said they would not work with this company again due to long wait time to talk with rep. This week took a different car in for A/C service. Compressor clearly covered in my warranty but denied coverage. Spoke to soooo many people, spent over 8 hours on hold in three days while I was supposed to be “on vacation”. The dealership Repairing said they would not sit on hold with this company after the second time they called.

I ended up calling and then doing a 3 way call once an adjuster finally answered. Spoke to Hector Adjuster, he spoke to Hans supervisor, the freaking Auto Technician at my repair dealership talked to Blake Floor Manager who was extremely argumentative and rude to both of us. Would not listen to the technician who said the compressor was seized and should be covered accordingly. Blake finally hung up on both of us when the technician began asking specific technical questions to prove my case. Absolutely A SCAM COMPANY!!!

American Auto Shield response

We were very sorry to hear about your experience. We are also sorry to lose you as a customer but wanted to follow up, because your feedback is important to us. American Auto Shield is taking actions to provide our customers and their repair facilities with a better customer service experience, and we are committed to returning to excellent service levels that we are proud of and that consumers rightly expect. We apologize that we were not able to resolve your claim to your satisfaction, but we sincerely appreciate your bringing your experience to our attention. Your feedback will help us improve our operations and services.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I'm not sure what is wrong, but it's not acceptable at all to be on hold for hours and then NO ONE IS RESPONDING, what is the value of having the warranty and you can't use it? I'm a customer for this company from last November and was committed in my payments. I need someone to call me rather to be on hold for hours. My repair shop tried to call as well with no hope for their call to be answered, My Phone number **. My repair facility number (T&K Automotive Specialists): 214-753-8611.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. We reached out to you privately via ConsumerAffairs for additional information so that we may research this matter further. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 29, 2019

It has been a 3 MONTHS since I have been able to drive my car. The first time I took it in for a check engine light, the garage identified the issue, but it took almost a month to get AAS to approve the repairs. When the Inspector went out to check everything, the Company came back and denied almost half of the repairs and I ended having to pay out of pocket. Then 4 days later the check engine light came back on again and it has been an entire month that the garage has been waiting on getting the repairs approved this time. Every time the garage calls, they are on hold FOREVER and have gotten nowhere. This is the WORST Warranty Company EVER!!! I am now considering purchasing a new vehicle to avoid this nightmare!!! STAY AWAY from these CROOKS!!!

American Auto Shield response

We were sorry to hear about your experience, and we appreciated you bringing your concerns to our attention. Due to technical difficulties and problems with our telephone service provider that resulted from upgrading our systems, many of our callers were experiencing extended hold times. We are taking actions to provide our customers and their repair facilities with a better customer service experience. We were happy to administer payment for your previous claims and the covered repairs to your vehicle, and we are sorry to see you go as a customer. If there’s anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to give us a call.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Unprofessional and inconsiderate of people time and needs met! After reading the reviews for this company, I see that they are responding and stating that they are handling these customers concerns! I’m having the same issues in regards to speaking to the right representative! I’ve been trying to speak to someone since 03/25 and today is 03/28! I’m on hold now for 22:00 minutes and was a call back list! What are you doing for your customers in regards to handling your phone ethics?

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to follow up so that we may address your concerns. American Auto Shield is taking actions to provide our customers and their repair facilities with a better customer service experience, and we are committed to returning to excellent service levels that we are proud of and that consumers rightly expect. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced when trying to reach us previously, and we sincerely appreciate your bringing your experience to our attention. Your feedback will help us improve our operations and services for our current and future customers.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Updated on 04/12/2019: The warranty plan says three easy steps to make claims. There may be three but they for sure are not easy. After having the warranty for about two years it looks like the only thing is and smooth is paying for the warranty. There are no issues when you are giving them money. After that nothing seems to be easy or smooth. Yea after the repair shop had spent 12 hours on the phone and dealing with these guys over two days I was on my way to pay the bill myself when I told them they had 5 minutes to pay the bill because I was within 5 minutes of being there to pay for it myself. And if I must pay an approved claim because the shop can’t get hold of them then they are useless. You don’t get good ratings by taking customers money good. You get good ratings when it’s time to support your policy.

They started at 8:15 on Wednesday trying to get the payment arranged. And all the time on hold and faxing back and forth. Warranty company claiming they didn’t get the fax and other stalling tactics along with one time on hold for an hour and fifteen minutes. The entire day had gone by without resolution. So, I went by and paid for it and picked it up. Then when cancelling was encouraged that this was not the norm. There was bad weather and other excuses for the extreme wait times on the phone along with other excuses. Note again there were no issues on the money collection end paying about $4500. Just seemed to be issues when there was a small $277 claim. I didn’t get the warranty for those small amounts. But if it is this hard to get them to pay that how would it be if you had a real claim?

So deciding to give it another chance I went the path of being reimbursed which is not the process I got the warranty for. At that time I started to understand the frustration the shop was experiencing. Trying to fax the invoice the fax line would be busy for 30 minutes which was the longest time my fax machine would continue to retry sending it. So after 30 minutes of the line being busy I would fax it again for another 30 minute try. After spending over half a day doing this I called and waited about 30 minutes to get a live person who gave me an email to send it to. I then spent another half a day resending it in email form and calling about half an hour later to check and see if they received it. And that entire second half of a day when I had called at the end of the day they claimed to still not received it.

At this point it is close of business on Friday and Wednesday morning the payment process had started. So three entire business days had been spent on it without acknowledgement of receipt. Note again that receipt of $4500 they collected from me went real smooth. Since the fax line was always busy I faxed it again around midnight thinking there would be less business at that time. And that was the first time I saw from my end that the fax went through. I called back after long wait times on Monday morning (5 days after the process started) and then they claim they got the invoice which is the same one the shop had faxed them 5 days earlier and they had sent out a check for reimbursement late Friday. Today is now the next Friday and I haven’t received the check yet that was sent out a week ago, supposedly. If the post office treats their mail the way they treat paying claims I might expect that check to arrive in about 6 months.

No matter what you reply with this is not how the process should work. If you were sent a bill at shop rates the hours I and the shop spent on getting payment on an approved claim you would probably owe about $2500. A two hour repair should not take 20 man hours dealing with the warranty company. I hope I never need to use your service again and just lose the $4500 spent now. I will never buy another extended warranty again. Most reviews suggest it is a waste of money and most in the past I have had were never used anyway. Care was repaired 9 days ago and still waiting on payment to arrive. American Auto Shield gets a NEGATIVE 5 Star rating from me.

Original review: I have had the warranty for over two years with no claims. They had no problem taking payment for the policy but when it came time for a very small claim they used all the tactics you can think of to hold up payment where I ended up going in and paying for the repairs myself even after they approved them. The repair shop spent twice the amount of time dealing with them than it did to repair the car. They were on hold the first time without ever speaking to anyone for over an hour. Then I finally called and after holding for a long time was able to put in a callback number. They called the shop and approved the repairs then said they didn't get the fax. Then said they wanted it in a different format which wasn't industry standard so they refaxed it. Then couldn't get hold of them again.

You shouldn't have to spend 8 hours trying to get in touch with someone when you need them. If they are not there in the time of need you have paid for then they have no value. I am going to request a refund since the first claim I had of only about $300 couldn't be completed after they had approved the claim and taken about $4500 for their service. If I can't get refund I guess I will have my attorney contact them. You have to rate something but 1 star is too high.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter and for your patience as we reviewed your contract, claim, and any documents and recorded phone calls related to your claim. We sincerely apologize if you or your repair facility experienced any issues when trying to reach us. Per our review, your claim was initiated and authorized the same day, March 26, 2019. On March 26 and again on March 27, American Auto Shield advised your repair facility to submit the final repair invoice for payment, including parts and labor breakdown, full VIN and miles, customer name and address, complaint cause and cure, and customer signature. Documents can be submitted several ways, including the document upload feature on our website, email, fax or mail. Unfortunately, we have no record of receiving a final, signed repair invoice from your repair facility.

Our records indicate that we also spoke with you on March 27 and advised we cannot resolve the claim until the repair invoice is received. Per our phone records, you indicated we had everything we needed and requested we pay the repair facility within five minutes, or you would cancel the contract. Unfortunately, we are unable to pay for covered repairs without a signed repair invoice, and although we are sorry to lose you as a customer, we referred you to the seller of your contract to assist you with cancellation, per your request.

On April 5, 2019, American Auto Shield received the signed repair invoice, necessary to pay your claim, via email. Thank you. Because you chose to pay the repair facility for your repairs prior to our receiving the invoice, American Auto Shield issued a check to reimburse you on April 5, the day the signed invoice was received. If for some reason you did not receive your claim refund, please contact us directly so that we may research the matter at once.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Updated on 04/09/2019: I sent the company the info they requested again on 3/27/2019, it is actually 4/08/2019 and I have still not heard a word. Just want future customers to understand that. I have been without my vehicle since 3/14/2019, the day I had it towed to my mechanic.

Original Review: My vehicle ran hot on 3-14-2019 while picking up my wife from her group meeting. I immediately pulled my vehicle over and notice antifreeze and water leaking heavily. I called my AAA and my insurance company to see which one would arrive first. The Insurance company came first so I canceled the other one. They towed my car to my repair shop immediately where I was told the water pump was bad. The engine needed to be dropped to change it out so he sent it to a partner shop I block from his facility. He had the warranty info and began calling the company. He had to wait for hours not able to get anyone, so he called me to see if I could get them. I then spoke Luke ** after waiting for about 2 hrs to get someone and Luke stated he needed the receipt from the towing company. Now keep in mind my warranty with the dealer just expired recently that is why I went to Auto Shield.

The dealer would get the car to see what was wrong and get it done. I had to hunt down a receipt for the towing. I finally send them a letter that the insurance company sent me and they say it's not enough. The insurance company says they don't keep those things and had never been asked to provide detail receipts so she said she would investigate. They called my repair shop right after talking to me and that was 5 days ago. He stated to me he has seen how that company operates and they will make you wait until you give up the contract which is cheaper for them. I am a small businessman and need my vehicle and can't afford to spend 2 hours at a time trying to reach them on the phone, I will reach out to an attorney, thank God that is one of the things I kept from my teaching job an attorney plan. They will be reported as well.

American Auto Shield response

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. In the event of a mechanical breakdown or failure, records and receipts are sometimes required by the administrator for documentation and coverage determination. Our records indicate we previously requested a copy of your March 14 tow bill and service records related to your vehicle. Per our records, we have not yet received the requested service records. We reached out to you again this week regarding service records and diagnosis of your vehicle, and we look forward to hearing from you. For your convenience, customers and their repair facilities can submit records and correspondence directly to the Claims Department by email or utilize our online document upload feature. Thank you again for your feedback and for the opportunity to assist in resolving this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: March 21, 2019

American Auto Shield and its President, Jason Currier, live in a magic auto fantasy land. In this land, customers don't matter. Delivering on the service people pay them for doesn't matter. And, best of all for them, legally binding contracts don't matter so they can do whatever they want! Unfortunately for Jason Currier and American Auto Shield, scamming money from customers under the pretense of providing car warranties and failing to deliver on contractual obligations are illegal activities that have very real consequences.

AAS's reasons for denying claims directly contradict what's in their contract. They'll claim you didn't have coverage when your contract says you did. They'll claim your car had a pre-existing condition when your contract says you didn't. I asked one of their supervisors, Alonzo, about this fact. "I understand your point," he said. "That won't change our decision about your claim." It may not change your fantasy land decision, Alonzo, but it also doesn't change AAS's contractual obligations under the law. Jason Currier and the AAS crew will probably never escape their fantasy land. At least, when they wind up in jail, American auto owners will truly be shielded from these despicable criminals.

American Auto Shield response

We wanted to follow up to thank you for the opportunity to resolve your recent claim. If you need assistance in the future, please give us a call.

Original review: March 20, 2019

These people are a TOTAL RIP-OFF! You will be on hold for 2-3 hours just for the Rep to outright deny your claim, or they'll give you the runaround until you throw in the towel. It should be illegal for this company to operate in this manner and nothing is done about it. I'd would be robbed at gunpoint than be robbed by someone who I have entrusted. I will spread the word on social media, report to the BBB and hopefully they are shut down soon.

American Auto Shield response

We appreciate the opportunity to begin resolving this matter. We reached out to you privately and look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I’ve experienced all of the same problems as everyone else! It’s really sad that the phone number to purchase the warranty is different from the customer service - claims phone number goes to show! You can get someone on that line right away but try to file a claim or have your automotive shop call them 3 days and 18+ hours later and still nothing! No representative, no callback, multiple disconnects every single time! That’s their scam - to drive innocent people crazy and waste the poor mechanics time! How is this company still operating? This is not okay. I demand a refund. And their warranty prices are not cheap. $200 a month for this! NO THANK YOU. I give them 0 stars. I hope they get shut down!

American Auto Shield response

We're sorry to hear about your experience, and we appreciate the opportunity to begin resolving this matter. We reached out to you privately and look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I wish I had read these reviews before purchase. I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey. I am an older single woman who decided to purchase this warranty for safety reasons. Recently I have tried to start my vehicle only to find the battery has been drained. The last thing I want is to be stranded somewhere alone waiting for help.

There’s obviously an issue as it has happened a few times. I took my vehicle into the local Honda dealer because who knows Honda’s better than Honda? Apparently American! They denied the repair because they couldn’t duplicate the issue. Which means I’ll have to wait until I’m stranded again somewhere and hope they can duplicate the issue. I can’t afford the repairs myself on a single income because I’ve been paying them $114 a month! I should’ve just put the amount in savings. I would at least be safe! Find a reputable auto warranty company. This one is a scam.

American Auto Shield response

We’re sorry we were unable to resolve your recent claim to your satisfaction, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. To clarify, you purchased a Vehicle Service Contract, which provides coverage for mechanical breakdowns or failures to the components/parts listed in the contract. Unfortunately, your repair facility was unable to demonstrate a mechanical breakdown or failure of your vehicle’s starter. The inspection report indicates your vehicle started each time without incident during the inspection of your vehicle. With that said, if your vehicle should experience a mechanical breakdown or failure, safety should be your first concern. Thankfully, your contract provides you with emergency roadside assistance, including towing and battery service, as described in your contract. Should you need assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact the roadside service provider listed in your contract. Please also ask your repair facility to contact us so that we may assist in getting you back on the road.

American Auto Shield Company Information