It's that easy Get a Free Quote
2.73/5
Based on 78 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

110 American Auto Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I took my car to BMW and was told that my vehicle was in need of a radiator replacement, hose that is a part of the radiator and 2 additional parts replaced. The 2 additional parts weren’t covered. Fine, no problem however, the radiator is covered but the hose is not covered. Correction, a BMW hose is not covered but an off brand is covered. Fine. The American Shield personnel told BMW to have me call and confirm that I would accept the off-market hose. I told him that’s fine, then BMW went on to say that the radiator was approved and that it would be shipped from autozone that same day, actually, it was Friday, September 14, 2018. They don’t provide rental cars, they supposedly reimburse you.

BMW called me on Saturday and said that they still hadn’t received. BMW called me on Monday, yesterday and said that they still hadn’t received and they told me that they called and were on hold with American Shield for 1 hour and guess what, today is Tuesday and BMW still doesn’t have the radiator and the BMW rep said he called and was told, by American Auto Shield that he doesn’t know what’s going on with the part. Meanwhile, I’m without my vehicle and no rental car and I’ve missed work since Friday. Beware! This company clearly doesn’t care. Cancel before you have a problem. Find a company that is considerate of their customers.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Very happy with knowledge & courtesy of 3 customer service reps so far. Very happy with service provided & value for my monthly payment. Not happy about length of time on phone to get things cleared. Mechanic was so frustrated that he won't call again, so I have to find a new repair shop.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Just called and filed a claim after I have been out of town for work... and told I will not receive an AC repair because I was pre-existing... which is untrue. I’m driving in 90 degree weather and need a solution... I’m a single father and don’t want my young 4 year old in a hot car. Please let me know other options besides no.

Hello Martell,

We’re sorry to learn you were not satisfied with your claims service and hope that today our representative was able to address any concerns you may have had regarding your coverage. As explained, we are unable to administer payment for claims initiated during the waiting period specified in your contract. With that said, if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding your coverage, please feel free to reach out to us. One of our Customer Service Specialists will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The folks I did talk with, were very nice and knew what they were talking about. I like that. Some places you call and get shuffled to four or five different place before you get to whom you need to talk to. By that time you forget what you called about.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Tried to cancel my contract within the 30 day period, was informed I had to do that in writing within 8 days including the weekend, if not received in that time frame no refund, I was canceling due the fact they misrepresented the service, I have a 2002 Chevy Impala with 70,000 miles and is in as new condition worth around 4000-5000, when I received my contract in the mail and reading through it, it stated they would only cover the amount of repair up to the trade in amount the blue book states, which in my case was 1650.00 and going down every year (I had a 4yr+ 66,000 more miles of coverage) for a total cost of 2993.00 so I called them and they said, "No. That wasn't correct" that everything was cover in the premium plan I had, but I reading the fine print I honestly don't believe them.

All they did was try to talk me into trying to keep it. I sent my letter in and there is a 75.00 cancellation fee (of course there is right). So long story short they are keeping my down payment and I'll be referring all my communication emails, audio recording to the attorney general for their review. My advice is to record all your conversations with these scammers.

Hello Ronald,

We’re sorry to learn that you weren’t satisfied with the company you spoke with regarding the purchase and subsequent cancellation of your service contract administered by American Auto Shield. Please be advised that American Auto Shield did not communicate with you regarding either the sale or the cancellation of this service contract. However, and as a courtesy, we have forwarded your concerns to the seller and the company you communicated with for their review and response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I received a scary official looking, disturbing letter with a bold 72pt large font warning stating that my vehicle warranty was about to expire and urged me to call immediately. Although I told the person multiple times that I did not want the insurance, he would not stop insisting and would not let me off the phone until his sale was made. I called to cancel shortly in April 2014 after receiving their materials, but as I called, the representative would not honor my cancellation, making it difficult for me to cancel, conned with scare tactics into forcefully keeping the insurance that I did not want or need. I was in communication with Mr. Doug ** who seemed less than interested by the UDAAP violation I presented to him, or to resolve the company scam.

November 2017, I called after receiving multiple negative responses from Mr **. I Spoke with a representative who was extremely rude about the situation, he then began to sell me the insurance once again. After an hour of him talking and explaining why I should keep the insurance and me stating firm in "No" he transferred me to his supervisor who began the sales tactics and rudeness as I requested to be cancelled and be refunded, he demanded that I sent a letter requesting refund, which I sent right after ending that call. Today it has been about 9 months since that call. I still have not received a refund for the total amount that I was scammed for. Contract **.

Hello Cesar,

Please be advised that Carsure, the company from whom you purchased your service contract, handles cancellations and refunds for the contracts they sell. As a courtesy, we have reached out to Carsure on your behalf and have asked them to contact you to address your concerns directly.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Repair Jeep Gr Cherokee 2005 - First time use of policy. Was just told I needed someone from CARCHEX to look at the car before work was ok'd. No one told me they need to see it first when I called. After paying for plan want to use it. I was told to get a bid and we did from the Jeep dealer. This car is in good condition and I want to drive it for many years now that I am retired. Hopeful this will come to a good conclusion.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My Ford Fusion died at a turn lane on busy highway where speed limit is 65 mph. Just had vehicle inspection done 2 months prior. This car sends me health reports. I waited off highway and tried starting it 2 more times. It started and I got off highway. Ford mechanic says internal water pump broke and ruined the engine. It sends coolant into engine and broken parts. American Auto Shield says I'm negligent in driving my car after it died, to get off highway where I waited for tow truck. I should of stayed on highway, obstructing traffic I guess.

I need new engine and they will only cover water pump. My car has been in shop for a week now and after several calls from mechanic and me they finally sent an authorization to pay only for water pump. Takes forever to talk with claims department, on hold for 20 minutes and to get any work started. The mechanic is even fed up with them! I will only buy warranty from Ford from now on, as I recommend any of you to do instead of these 3rd party companies.

Hello Denise,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry that we were unable to resolve your recent claim to your complete satisfaction and for any inconvenience this may have caused. When anyone’s vehicle experiences a breakdown, safety should be his or her first concern. Drivers should get the vehicle to a safe place by pulling over and out of traffic, if possible. Additionally, drivers should only exit a vehicle if it is necessary or safe to do so. Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This is the third time I have tried to use this policy only to find that the required work is not covered. \The representative was courteous and efficient. She reviewed the coverage with me. This policy only covers the BIG stuff. My fault for not reading carefully. This is expensive coverage for powertrain only. There are many restrictions. Let the buyer beware. Read it carefully.

Hello Thea,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re pleased to know our representative was courteous and efficient and that your experience was positive. We’re sorry that your contract did not provide coverage for your vehicle’s recent issue, but should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I was very concerned about the cost to repair my car and really did not know what to do. She was patient kind and very knowledgeable. I really appreciated her. This is my very first experience with your company and I must say, first impression have made me a believer in you. Her name was Eawwma, not sure of spelling,

Original review: July 24, 2018

My parents are in their 70’s & purchased a warranty for several thousand dollars. It was sold to them as something they could count on & provide security when it came to potential repairs they might need down the road. BUT when they attempted to file a claim (even with the assistance of the repair shop) they either sat on hold for HOURS or got the runaround about what was needed to proceed with the claim because they would submit documentation then be told they needed something else - REPEATEDLY!!! This has gone on for MONTHS!!!

My parents are on a limited income & American Auto Shield took them to the cleaners because this so called warranty has been WORTHLESS!!! Makes you question the validity of the “glowing” reviews as they could be American Auto Shield employees trying to suck in more innocent victims! We’ve contacted the Kansas Insurance Commissioner’s office & are flooding our social media with the story of our family’s experience. We’re also discussing the merits of bringing legal action with a family friend who just happens to be an attorney. Signed one VERY dissatisfied customer!!! P.S. - Consumer Affairs required I assign at least one star as a rating - but it should have allowed ZERO!!!

Original review: July 19, 2018

Use American Auto Shield for both our cars. Made repair claims on my wife's car and had no problems with the payment settlements. So far value for peace on mind as we do drive far afield on vacations.

Original review: July 18, 2018

My vehicle had NO oil pressure and also needed a new radiator. They sent out a person to inspect the car at my mechanic. This was 2 weeks ago and I and my mechanic have been going back and forth with them and they just string you along!! I was told yesterday with my mechanic on a 3 way phone call that someone would get back to me today by 12 noon! Guess what. NO CALL!!! No resolution! I fought with them on the phone tonight to no avail. They lied about several things and put words in your mouth that you never said!!! I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER CAR WARRANTY! My mechanic said that they are a waste of money. I also had to rent a car for the past 2 weeks which as we all know is not cheap, cost me over $400!! I am done with this company!! I wish I would have known this sooner! Anybody who gives them a good rating is crazy!! PEOPLE BEWARE! I see now that there are tons of complaints with this company and I see why!

Hello Robert,

We regret that you aren’t satisfied with your claims service and for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. We value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. We forwarded your concerns to our Claims Department and look forward to resolving this matter as quickly as possible.

Original review: July 15, 2018

The dealership submitted claim to AAS ADMINISTRATOR on Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 that the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S a/c compressor and component parts needed to be replaced due to clutch assembly and housing breakdown. Serpentine Belt sustained fray damage to belt edging. Keith had the auto at dealership, Thursday, July 5th, 2018 for a/c service due to hot air blowing and also noted the fan belt began to fray from outer edges to center, too! But, back to dealers, 6 days later, Wednesday, July 11th, 2018... diagnosed a/c compressor failure, Serpentine Belt frayed from damaged a/c compressor.

Well. The process of shipping/receiving very slow. Dealer service advisor recommends to contact companies and networking then began. The customer virtually eliminates the dealer's service advisor's position! Too much legwork I need to do and still anticipating more! Today, Saturday, July 14th, 2018 and still no air conditioning! Oh, well...! Here we go again, more money, time and customer satisfaction issues.

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you aren’t satisfied with your claims service and for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We have forwarded your concerns to our Claims Department and look forward to resolving this matter as quickly as possible.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 10, 2018

Well first claim was denied because I was 54 miles away from the 1,000 initial miles. Second claim denied because they said I only have a powertrain warranty. When I called to buy contract I asked for the top of the line one that covers everything. Cost me almost $4 grand. Now I am way over 2,000 miles and my engine valve cover gasket is leaking engine oil. They tell me it's not covered part. My seal on my windshield wiper pump is leaking, they said it's not covered. My computerized tire monitoring system is failing on my BMW 335i, they said it's not covered. I will be canceling my contract as soon as I can and contacting my attorney about the hidden red tape and false claims when you purchase something online or over the phone but get a contract in the mail that's totally opposite. Very dissatisfied.

Hello Bobby,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret that we were not able to resolve your claims to your complete satisfaction, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. While we do not like to deny claims, claims initiated during the waiting period specified on your declaration page and repairs for pre-existing conditions are specifically excluded from coverage per the terms of the contract you purchased. Additionally, AAS is unable to administer claim payment for parts not listed as covered or explicitly excluded from coverage by the contract.

As a courtesy, we forwarded your concerns regarding the purchase of your coverage to the seller of your contract. A review of the sales call indicated the seller’s representative described the main components listed as covered by the contract. The review did not find that the representative indicated the contract covers all repairs to the vehicle; however, we sincerely apologize on behalf of the seller for any misunderstanding and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I was impressed by this new car services that help reduce the high cost of repairs, provides ease of mind knowing the company will take care of the issues (i,e, claims, repairs, etc), doing the works for us at a reduced or discounted rate.

Original review: June 22, 2018

My experience was an absolute nightmare, and as of this date, I still haven't had a final review or response from AAS. Every time I have followed up to have the claim reviewed, I was passed from one person to another. The car sat on the rack at a reputable repair shop for over a week, and even when the adjuster came and reviewed the needed repairs, he agreed it was a valid claim and recommended the repairs be covered. Even after the adjuster's report, we were told it needed to go under further review... Two days into the claim process, I have a message saved on my phone from an AAS representative, which said the claim was going to be covered. I've told every representative I've spoken to about the initial message, but to date, it's fallen on deaf ears.

The irony of it all was that AAS came to me for my business, and when I needed the service, they always said that the contract didn't cover this particular part of the repair. This company uses the language in their fine print in their contract to avoid having to pay the majority of anyone's claim. After reading the positive reviews, I can't help but believe that they are fabricated or carefully selected by AAS. Buyer beware!!!

Hello Daniel,

We value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. We have attempted to reach out to your repair facility to resolve this matter. Your claim is currently pending receipt of information from either you or your repair facility. Please feel free to contact us so that we may resolve this matter as expeditiously as possible.

Original review: May 17, 2018

AAS has done nothing but give me trouble, headaches, problems, and complications when it came to covering my Volvo C30. In total, they have covered less than 10% of what they told me was going to be coverable, but apparently I missed the 3-point font on the "contract" that everything was actually not covered -- very clever.

They have caused my Volvo to be at the already terrible Volvo dealership for 6 weeks now due to their miserable level of communication and their inspectors who clearly have no value for people's time and take 3 weeks to make it out somewhere. Not to mention they decided to charge me two deductibles on claims that happened ONE DAY apart. Zero stars would be too many. Please, save yourself tremendous stress and never use this company hidden behind "oh we don't actually do this" and "we're just the ____," which is a complete smoke and mirrors play and exhibits no level of customer service or retention. They don't deserve any more customers.

Hello Suresh,

We’re sorry to hear about your recent claims experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service and are working to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had a breakdown on the weekend. My coolant fan broke apart and the parts cut my radiator. I took it to a major service center and had to give them permission to fix the car as no one was available because of it being a weekend. I called on Monday morning to file claim and was told the fan that caused damage to radiator was not covered so the radiator was not covered either. My entire bill was 14443.17. The entire claim was denied and was not negotiated, sorry. This company has loopholes and other than taking your money they stand behind nothing. I suggest you get out of your contract as soon as possible. To get out of the contract and receive a prorated refund takes another act of Congress. I am very very dissatisfied and hope to save someone else my misery.

Hello Teresa,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry your vehicle experienced a breakdown that was not covered by your contract, and we sincerely apologize that you weren’t happy with the outcome of your claim. As stated in the service contract you purchased, mechanical breakdown or failures of covered parts damaged by non-covered parts are excluded from coverage.

As a claims administrator for over 15 years, American Auto Shield has administered millions in claim payments. However, we are obligated to adjudicate claims per the terms of the contract, and we are unable to administer payment for parts not listed as covered or explicitly excluded from coverage by the contract.

Thank you, again, for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. We’re sorry that we weren’t able to resolve your recent claim to your satisfaction, but should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding your coverage or claim, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 3, 2018

Went from Leonard to Jacquline, to Payton who gave me the runaround. I requested that the contract be canceled on April 3rd. "O dear. Your car motor will blow up then what will you do?" I told her I wanted to cancel now and I am in a hurry. "I can call you back," Payton said. "No cancel it now." "What if the motor blows up?" "I will handle it". I told her it is within the time period and she still played this game of what if the motor blows up? Why do you want to cancel she said? "Because I have seen so many bad reviews right here on Consumer Affairs." Where did you see these reviews? We are a good company and cannot understand why you want to cancel. Tell me why you want to cancel."

"What if the car engine blows up?" She asked me that a lot of times. Please cancel the contract. Please cancel the contract I kept telling her. She still hassled me about canceling that is when I told her I would get my husband on the phone. FYI my husband died years ago. But she kept right on going, "Why do you want to cancel? Car motor blow up, What happens if you are on the road and there is a problem?" Very bad company to have in your life. Put the money in bank for when you need a repair.

Hello Rosalyn,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. Our records indicate that on April 3, 2018, an American Auto Shield representative, Leonard, referred you to the seller of your service contract, Carshield, regarding your cancellation request, as is procedure. The representatives mentioned in your review, Jacqueline and Payton, are not employees or representatives of American Auto Shield. As a courtesy, we have forwarded your concerns to the seller of the service contract and the company you spoke with regarding cancellation, Carshield. We apologize on their behalf for any inconvenience you experienced.

Our records indicate your contract has been cancelled. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that we have satisfactorily addressed your concerns.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 29, 2018

If I could give them less than 1 star I would! At least they are consistent with two things, collecting money & "the run around". My truck has been in the shop for 23 days & they still have not authorized the repairs. Today I tried to have them conference my shop & I to review the amount they were authorizing but the adjuster. Barry told me he wasn't going to waste 15-20 minutes waiting for his supervisor to issue a payment code. Every time I call I get a different story than what is being told to my shop. My policy did not come until after they collected my initial payment, had it come earlier I would have never signed up.

I have called the servicing company Carchex & got nothing but attitude. Nothing like being talked to like you're an idiot, thanks Sharon! My mechanic won't warranty the repairs because instead of fixing the problem they are going out the "cheapest way" with aftermarket parts, isn't that right Mark? I have talked to countless reps from both the initial company Carchex & the administrator AAS but none of them will do what is right by the customer. They have tried to play me against my mechanic & vice versa.

Today their inspector admitted that the motor should be replaced based on metal shavings being found in the oil pan but his supervisor disagrees. I will now have to pay out of pocket to have my truck repaired the correct way. They won't even agree to pay for OEM parts. If you need a rental, guess again because they won't give you one until THEY have inspected & approved your claim. Then they will only give you $160 in coverage which will expire while they give you more "run around". Oh, good luck getting them to call you back! Today I was told I was lucky that Barry was working overtime & that he was supposed to leave at 3 pm. Gee thanks! WORST SERVICE IN MY LIFE!

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for your correspondence and for your patience as we reviewed your concerns. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service, but we hope we’ve since resolved your claim to your satisfaction. Please know that we value your feedback, and we apologize if you felt you were treated in a manner less than professional at any time during the claims process. We have performed a complete review of your claim and any calls associated with it and have reached out privately to address each of your concerns.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 26, 2018

I purchased the gold warranty package for my 2008 BMW. The adjuster finds parts online from Autozone so you don't get OEM parts unless you pay the difference. Who can afford to pay the difference when you're paying them monthly. My car needed a water pump and thermostat. They tell you to find a shop that allows you to send in your own parts. WOW so they can send them from Autozone.

Here is the kicker. When you go to buy a used high end car you're not getting OEM parts in that car but these car lots still sell them at top dollars because of the name BMW, Jaguar, r Mercedes range rover. These cars are not worth crap with Autozone parts in them. Because of companies like this imagine buying your used dream car that cost a lot of money but all the parts under the hood are from Autozone. If they are going to stoop that low they might as well buy them from Amazon since they don't want to pay out. Each one of my repairs I pay out 4X as much as they do.

Hello Jay,

Your feedback is important to us, and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your experience. As an initial matter, please note that American Auto Shield is not a payment plan company, and we do not accept monthly payments from customers. American Auto Shield is the claims administrator of the service contract you purchased from the seller, Cartection.

We’re sorry to learn you aren’t satisfied with your coverage and claims service thus far. American Auto Shield utilizes reputable nationwide parts vendors to administer claims per the terms of the contract you purchased. Our records indicate that one year into coverage, your contract has provided almost $8,000 in coverage for multiple breakdown and roadside assistance claims. We strive to provide excellent customer service, and we hope your experiences with our representatives throughout the claims process were positive.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 20, 2018

I am not alone in this fight for some type of justice with this company. The response to the bad reviews all sound the same. "Contact us directly," but when you do contact them they will give you the runaround & say "Did you read the contract?" Their contract arrives AFTER they take your money, & you don't realize that they never intend on paying for your repairs until you try to make your first claim. My F350 was at the Ford dealership & needed $4,000 in repairs. This company only agreed to pay $150.00. With the GOLD package that I was told would cover ALL repairs. Then, they would not accept Ford's parts. So, in order for me to receive the $150 I would have to find a shop that would accept the cheap parts their adjuster found online.

This company will accept my $250 monthly payment, but will not accept the responsibility that comes with their brand. The slogan on the front of my contract says "Peace of mind" but it's just a headache soon as you make your first claim. Contract #** I would like a real explanation of how these companies can get rich off of people & hide behind bogus contracts with loopholes to keep from holding up to their end of the bargain.

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your correspondence. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your initial claims service, but we hope we’ve since resolved your claims to your satisfaction.

As an initial matter, please be advised that American Auto Shield is a claims administrator. We are not the seller of the service contract you purchased, nor are we your payment plan company. With that said, we forwarded your concerns to the seller of your contract, Carshield, and we requested a review of the sales call. Our review found the seller’s representative described the main components listed as covered by the contract you purchased. We did not find that the representative indicated the contract covers all repairs; however, we sincerely apologize on behalf of the seller for any misunderstanding. If you have any questions regarding your contract’s coverage, an American Auto Shield representative will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

To ensure your claims were administered properly, we also performed a complete review of your claims and any recorded calls associated with them. Because American Auto Shield is obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, we are unable to administer payment for parts not listed as covered by the contract. In addition and per the terms of your contract, you may choose one of our part options, or you may choose a part provided by a dealership or repair facility of your choice. Lastly, we were unable to find any reference in the recorded calls regarding $150, and this amount does not match the authorized claim payment we have on record. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the authorized claim payment amount, please feel free to contact us.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Well over a week now, run around after run around from CarChex would sold the POS warranty and American Auto Shield. I'd call the folks at AAS morons, but they'd probably consider it a compliment. I was lied to from day one via Nikki at CarChex saying my Mercedes could have OEM parts put back on the car - which is the ONLY reason I bought the 5500.00 warranty. Now I find out via AAS only aftermarket, and they only go by 1 book for repair hours. They are offering me 1/2 of what it costs to repair my car - a front right drive axle. But the worst overall issue... I either pay the 1500.00 difference or take it to another shop... here's the kicker, they won't tell me ANY shop in town that can do the work, will accept their warranty payment, also accept the warranty company mailing the parts to the repair shop, and then use the same repair guide for the hours.

So now, I get to pay to have the MB dealer put the car back together, have it towed home, and take this car from shop to shop (via a tow truck) to find out if any shop in Columbia SC will repair the car, accept mailed parts from AAS, agree to be paid per 'the book'. You know... when you have a car accident, the insurance company has a list of shops 'in network' or preferred shops, then if you choose you can take it to your own shop, but may have to pay the difference. Not with AAS - they will no give you ANYONE they've worked with in the past, anyone in town who can fix a MB, anyone who will accept mailed parts, anyone who works from the hourly repair guide! Please, RUN from these people if you're looking for a warranty... do not walk... RUN! My next phone call is my attorney. I've wasted 8 hours of my time on this, and am NOWHERE closer to resolution!

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. Your claim is currently in an inactive status pending receipt of the signed invoice from your repair facility. Should you wish to proceed with your claim, please submit the signed invoice so that we may resolve and close your claim.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. If you have any questions or should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I recently became a customer American Auto Shield through CarShield. A few days ago I was going down the road in the speed bump scrape the bottom of my car. Oil pouring out profusely. I contacted the claims department for American Auto Shield. They told me to find a qualified auto repair shop. I even told them the situation about the bottom of my car being scraped by a speed hump. The representative told me they'll be no problem just find a qualified auto repair dealer. I contacted the dealer and call the administrator which is American Auto Shield and told them the situation cause I was trying to get roadside assistance. Representative I was excluded from my policy because I had a collision.

Talkin to representative Garrett he became real condescending. So I asked to speak with a supervisor. After waiting 15 minutes Mr Garrett said here he is... Then, a Mr. ** got on the phone and started acting like a supervisor after I told him how the representative was handling me. After asking what type of action would be taken for Mr. Garrett's unprofessionalism... Mr. ** told me that he would handle it and he would contact the supervisor. So I asked, "are you a supervisor Mr. **? He then informed me that he was not even a supervisor. By then said you've been to train yourself as a supervisor for the past 20 minutes. This is very deceptive. I then ask to speak to a supervisor.

Another 20 to 30 minutes. Then I began to speak with a supervisor Ray. He informed me that they will listen to the recordings of the employees and deal with them swiftly. About how they told me that my policy was nullified due to a collision from riding down the street over a speed bump. I also quoted the advertising that they had on the front of their booklet that said "peace of mind for that next bump in the road..." He then informed me that he wasn't an expert in that department because they had agents that did the assessment of claims.

I became very discouraged and depressed. I am considering filing a class action lawsuit against American Auto Shield as well as CarShield for false advertisement. Carshield never informed me that if any external damage was taken that my car was not protected. I never sign anything's in writing holding me to this deceptive contract. If you are interested and being involved in a class action lawsuit please at, **.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your recent feedback. We’re sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with your recent claims experience. However and as previously explained, American Auto Shield is the claims administrator for the mechanical breakdown coverage you purchased through the seller. We are not an insurance company, and we do not administer comprehensive or collision insurance claims. Furthermore, mechanical breakdown coverage does not provide roadside assistance for comprehensive or collision insurance claims.

With that said and as previously explained, if you received roadside assistance for a comprehensive or collision insurance related claim, we suggest contacting your insurance company. They will be able to direct you regarding their procedure for reimbursement, if any.

We hope that we have satisfactorily addressed your concerns. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Time consuming, Labor intensive, unfair. Deny paying for items. Require dealership to completely disassemble and then wait 48 hours. Dealerships cannot do this easily if the car cannot be moved after disassembly. Also, you must wait at dealership for an additional hour after you sign all paperwork to confirm payment. Absolutely terrible customer service and they knowingly lie to the dealership and the customer. Do not waste your money. Terrible company.

Hello John,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to learn you weren't satisfied with your service. Unfortunately, without a Contract or Claim Number for reference, we are unable to address your concerns. If you could please contact us directly to provide us with your Contract or Claim Number, we would be happy to review your contract and claim to discuss any questions or concerns you may have.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to hearing from you and to resolving this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Never had to use a warranty on any of cars, this has got to be the worse experience in my life these guys. My car has be at the dealer Tallahassee Dodge Chrysler Jeep since January 25 and I have talk to several customer rep. The first I talk to was really nice Ms. ** who took my info down and told what I need to do along with my claim number.

Since the initial contact unfortunately I had to wait for an inspector to come back from a seven day cruise after the estimate was done by the dealer. He or she I don't have a name did their inspection but the car is still sitting 3 days later. I've talk to AAS rep Amanda, another day Stephanie and two more that I did not bother to take their name down. My car problem is it needs a water pump and thermostat fairly seem like a simple repair because done it before on my dads truck and my car many years ago. I remind you that I paid already what it cost to repair it in monthly payment to American Auto Shield. The last call I made was January 31, 2018 and they said they were sending another inspector at this time. Unfortunately I would not recommend them to anyone. The strange thing is they constantly blow up your to get your business but I think they need to drop the cliché "Peace of mind".

Hello Elmer,

We regret learning that you were not satisfied with your claims service. Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, please note that American Auto Shield is not a service contract seller or a payment plan company. We do not directly accept payment from customers for service contract coverage they purchased from a seller. Additionally, we do not use the phrase “peace of mind” to describe service contract coverage.

With that said, we apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way by the inspections of your vehicle to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to your vehicle. Unfortunately, without further diagnostics, the cause of failure could not be verified. Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact us directly. We’ll be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

BEWARE of this company, they will do anything not to pay a claim. We paid almost $4000 for this policy, have never made a claim (even though some repairs we have done would have been covered but we needed them done ASAP so we paid out of pocket). Carsure (who sold this policy to us on behalf of AAS) did not disclose all pertinent information regarding this policy and contract terms, nor did we even see a contract. They led us to believe this warranty was through Ford. Many things were said just to make the sale. Now we are trying to make a claim for the first time as our truck sits at a shop in pieces for weeks, and American Auto Shield refuses to pay.

American Auto Shield has received numerous pictures of internally damaged parts within our transmission and have told us that indeed the transmission has failed and needs to be replaced (and they agree it's not electrical so the repairs would be covered IF we can prove what part caused the initial failure) so they continue to ask for MORE before the claim can be authorized. They sent out an inspector that agreed to the internal parts failure yet when AAS called to AGAIN tell us there STILL wasn't enough proof (find the ONE part that caused this failure and damage) to authorize the claim, what they told us the inspector said wasn't ACTUALLY what the inspector said to the shop (the inspector agreed with our mechanic and planned to push the authorization forward... so he said). Also, the shop DID tell AAS that there was damage to the planetary gears (that was his diagnosis of cause of failure).

BUT, upon looking at just the pictures the inspector took, AAS (Mike **) is arguing with the CERTIFIED shop that those gears couldn't have been the cause of failure (even though there are gouges and metal missing from the gears which caused damage to all the other internal parts of the transmission as the metal passed through). Then AAS Mike was viewing one of many pictures I had sent him and he comes back saying the cause isn't the planetary gears (in his opinion). He thinks he found the actual cause of failure but he needed MORE detailed pictures. He couldn't tell me what the part was called that he thought was damaged, he could only tell me which picture it was. So I pulled up the pictures I sent him, so I knew what part to go take more pictures of to satisfy him so that he would FINALLY authorize the claim... AND IT WAS THE PLANETARY GEAR (just as the mechanic said).

So once Mike found out it was the Planetary Gear and I sent him the additional pictures he requested yet again, that wasn't good enough, American Auto Shield agent (Mike ** who thinks he knows more than an ASE certified mechanic that works on vehicles every day, while he sits on a phone denying claims thinking he can accurately diagnose a transmission better than a real mechanic, by looking at pictures on his computer screen) AGAIN came back with, "There wasn't enough damage on those gears to cause the failure." So Mike finally tells me after weeks and days of this back and forth game playing, that he will go ahead and push this claim through anyway, even though we haven't proven to him which part caused the initial failure, IF I can provide service records. I told him my son did some of our servicing (he's a diesel mechanic). He said, "That was fine because the contract states you can do your own servicing."

I got him a copy of the record that included the date, miles, transmission service completed signed by my son and he said that wasn't good enough either. It wasn't appropriate proof cuz "anybody can say anything", I needed an invoice from the shop. WHAT? Why would you have an invoice if you do your own servicing? GAMES GAMES GAMES in hopes we give up and go away is all this is. I don't think they ever had any intentions of paying on this claim. I got a second and third opinion (one from Ford themselves and one from a very reputable transmission shop) and they both said what these people at AAS are doing and asking of us is ludicrous. And as they make us jump through these hoops after already agreeing that this was indeed an internal parts failure which should be fully covered by this policy, the repair shop is racking up a bill that will be our responsibility unless this authorization for repairs is pushed through by AAS.

And not having a vehicle to be able to able to get to work is a major concern because unless they authorize repairs, there is no rental reimbursement. This company is a joke and needs to be held accountable for this fraudulent practice. After reading all the Consumer Affair reviews, it sounds like we are not alone when it comes to the experience we are having with AAS. I am doing so much investigating to prove the fraudulent practices that are going on with American Auto Shield, I plan to gather all my evidence for my attorney. They need to be stopped! What is also very concerning is how the BBB can give them an A+ rating when there are all of these negative consumer reviews here. American Auto Shield is contracted with the BBB in their state and requires that all disputes go through THEIR BBB.

They told me according to my contract (that they never sent me nor are they willing to send me proof of the recorded version) I was required to go through arbitration with them at their local BBB in Colorado (I'm in Wisconsin!) and they said according to my contract (that I didn't get) I CANNOT take them to small claims court and sue them on my own. I WILL find a way because justice needs to prevail! How are they playing the system and getting away with this? Something doesn't add up here. Actually, A LOT of things don't. Who regulates them and their business practices? I have way too much proof to attach on here. If an attorney or other counsel reaches out to me regarding this matter, I am more than willing to forward my documents at that time. ** is my claim number through AAS.

Hello Angie,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry we were not able to reach a resolution with your repair facility regarding your recent claim and for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Unfortunately, we were unable to process your claim as the repair facility was unwilling to provide the necessary estimate for repair to the vehicle.

We are sincerely sorry to lose you as a customer, and we wish you the best in your future endeavors. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Salesman claimed everything was covered in engine and trans. 18 months later engine fails. I supply 3 years proof of oil changes. I am renting a car for 2 weeks waiting for them. Then they look at pictures and deny claim. Contamination in my engine from oil. Over $3000 to fix and they are covering zero. Runaround on the phone. Will be filing a claim in small claims court as this is everything that people claim is an extended insurance scam. Businesses like this should be shut down for taking advantage of people.

Hello James,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we are unable to address your concerns with the limited information provided in your correspondence. If you could please contact us directly to provide us with your Contract or Claim Number, we would be happy to review your contract and claim to discuss any concerns you may have.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My truck is at the dealership, teardown took forever, they ended up removing my engine take it all apart. Then I had to wait for inspection. That was done, had to wait more. Then claim was accepted and processed. My new engine was on the way. Well the vendor says the carrier delivered it… dealer has no engine, when the carrier was asked to produce a receipt, all it has is squiggly lines, unreadable, no name. So there is no engine. They said they would email the engine vendor… email?? Why not just pick up the phone and call them?? I asked what happens if this engine is not found? Answer… “I don't know… it's never happened before.”

So I am stuck between the warranty company, the vendor, and a shipping company. This is crazy, the agents have been pleasant talk and respectful. But I am unsatisfied with an imaginary engine, and doing nothing but emailing their vendor, and I have to wait more. The engine was supposed to be here yesterday. All they can do is tell me I have to wait. I shouldn't have to keep waiting. Ship a new engine, and let's move forward, or use the dealer's engine, and resolve my problem, rather than make me wait, and have my truck hijacked in this mess.

Hello James,

We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to address your concerns. We’re sorry to learn that you were in any way inconvenienced during the repair of your vehicle.

Per our review, your engine claim was initiated November 14, 2017, by your repair facility. Per procedure, we immediately requested a diagnosis to determine coverage, including customer approval for tear down to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to your vehicle’s engine, and an estimate for repair. Unfortunately, the repair facility did not contact us with an estimate for repair until November 29, delaying repair to your vehicle and the authorization of your claim.

Upon hearing back from your repair facility with an estimate for repair, we immediately ordered an inspection per the terms of your contract. The completed inspection report was received on Friday, December 1, 2017. Upon review, authorization was given to your repair facility, and an engine was ordered on Monday, December 4.

The engine was delivered to the correct address provided by your repair facility on December 6, 2017. Unfortunately, although your repair facility received and signed for the engine on December 6, they advised on December 7 that they were unable to locate the engine. On December 7, we tracked the engine, we advised your repair facility that someone at their place of business signed for the engine, and we submitted the shipment receipt signature to your repair facility. Subsequently, your repair facility located the engine at their premises on December 8. We can certainly understand how frustrating this must have been for you, and apologize on behalf of your repair facility for any inconvenience you experienced during this time.

With that said, we are glad your repair facility located the engine, your repairs were completed, and we were able to resolve and pay your claim. We hope that we have satisfactorily addressed your concerns and your claim was resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

American Auto Shield expert review by Lauren Fix

Extended coverage for cars, motorcycles, ATVs, dirt bikes and ride-share vehicles. All plans are fully-insured and financially secure. Claims are resolved quickly and fairly.

• Auto coverage: American Auto Shield offers multiple options for auto coverage, including three plans that cover vehicles up to 90,000-150,000 miles, as well as customizable plans where you can choose the parts you wish to have covered. You can also choose a VSC for powertrain coverage on vehicles up to 250,000 miles.

• Claims process: American Auto Shield lets you report a claim, view documents and see your claim status online. Once you file a claim, it goes through a three-step process including the assignment of an adjuster, evaluation at a repair shop and resolution for the claim.

• Reporting a claim: In the event of a mechanical breakdown for failure, a claim can be submitted online by the policyholder or a repair facility. The online reporting form is secure and fast and allows you or the repair facility to upload up to six documents.

• Live-chat: American Auto Shield includes a live-chat feature on its website to assist and answer questions as you fill out the form. Using live-chat eliminates the use of automated call systems and customers being placed on hold for extended periods of time.

• Ride-share coverage: With the demand for ride-share services growing, American Auto Shield has included coverage for customers like Uber and Lyft drivers. Since most VSCs exclude “drive for hire” service vehicles, this gives drivers in this industry an extra layer of financial security.

• Best for: consumers who plan on keeping their vehicles for a long time.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

American Auto Shield Company Information