3.3/5 (416 ratings)

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Pricing

About American Auto Shield

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided vehicle service contracts with a simplified claims process. AAS offers auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders. It also provides access to 24/7 online support and claims filing.

Find Extended Auto Warranties near you

Pros

• Monthly plans available
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Large number of plans available

Cons

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Bottom Line

American Auto Shield has coverage to satisfy most needs. Although it only works through dealerships, its large number of plans and acceptance of older and higher-mileage cars make it a good option.

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Verified

After looking around for a while this was the best deal. The personnel was very helpful and courteous. I would recommend this company to all my friends. They were spot on as to wh...

Verified

... A bad ignition coil was the issue. I let the service manager know I have a contract with American Auto Shield. They called me back 15 mins later saying it’s covered and its pa...

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers eight plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan. The Platinum and Deluxe plans both cover named components, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional, customizable coverage packages available.

American Auto Shield also has three options for more moderate coverage. The Aluminum plan offers a mid-level named component coverage, but the Bronze and Tech Plus plans are designed for specialty needs. The Bronze plan offers wrap coverage to complement an existing auto warranty. The Tech Plus plan exclusively covers electronics.

American Auto Shield then has two more basic plans: Powertrain and PT Gold. Powertrain is more affordable, but PT Gold offers more coverage.

PlanType of coverage
    BronzeWrap
    Tech PlusElectronics only
    PT GoldExpanded powertrain
    PowertrainPowertrain

American Auto Shield also offers several levels of mechanical breakdown insurance, which is an insurance product that mimics the function of an extended auto warranty.

American Auto Shield coverage

American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old, which is much older than many companies are willing to cover. The company’s mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also comparatively high.

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicles need repairs. American Auto Shield also offers 24/7 customer service by phone and online chat.

American Auto Shield offers towing coverage of up to $75 per occurrence. Many extended warranty companies offer complimentary towing, though. American Auto Shield’s rental reimbursements are about average at $40 a day for up to four days.

American Auto Shield FAQ

Can you get an American Auto Shield quote online?

American Auto Shield does not offer the option to get a quote online. However, calling directs you to customer service representatives who can help you get the right warranty plan.

How do you file claims with American Auto Shield warranty?

Customers or repair companies can call American Auto Shield to work on a claim. On the company’s website, there is a link to report a claim and upload supporting documents. Users can view claim history, status, milestones and payments when logged into their accounts online.

Are American Auto Shield warranties transferable?

Yes, you can transfer American Auto Shield warranties to a private party if you are trading in or selling your vehicle. Warranties can only be transferred from person to person and not to an auctioneer or dealership. This means you won’t necessarily waste money if you decide to sell before the end of your warranty. Also, transferring an extended warranty can increase the resale value of your vehicle.

Is American Auto Shield legit?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with higher mileage. Its additional benefits leave something to be desired, but the company’s wide array of coverage options means many customers are able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield can cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

Our family was on our way back from Florida, where our car died on the highway in Ocala Florida. We contacted CarShield and the two ladies on two different cell phones coordinated a tow and place called Don's Garage to take it to. The process was quick and the tow company came in 20 minutes. Don's Garage fixed our car the same day. I'm glad to be a Carshield customer. It's worth it to have the peace of mind knowing Carshield has your back in time of need. Thank you to everyone.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

We have a 2002 Ford Ranger given to us from my father. He loved this truck and I want it to be in our family for years. Thank you on repairing our truck. It has taken some time to be approved and it is great we have another car.. But the most important thing is our truck will be fixed and ready to come home very soon.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I was uncertain how I would be treated, I have never had my car serviced for maintenance by anyone I don’t know. I’m lucky enough to have several people that have been in the car culture and have turned their professional experience into a hobby of pride of ownership. It’s rewarding to know that the engine has failed internally and was in no way because of negligence. It’s a pleasure to deal with an honest company.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

My first time using CarShield warranty was unpleasant because the a/c repair mechanic said I needed more parts than necessary. A warranty rep had to go to the mechanic shop and determine exactly what parts I needed. Then the part I needed was in California. It took 7 days to fix my a/c and they not authorize a rental.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

This being my first time using American Auto Shield was a great help. I called them up and told them what was going on and they checked my account and told me I was covered. Boy was I happy 'cause I didn’t know how I was going to pay to get my car fixed. Thanks American Auto Shield.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

Purchased a Mechanical Breakdown Insurance Policy from AASI approximately eight months ago. Six months later my vehicle began having shifting and acceleration problems. Immediately I took the vehicle into a local dealership for repair. After completing diagnostics, the dealership recommended replacement of the transmission. AASI refused to accept the diagnostic result and requested further testing at my cost. This was completed and a partial repair was authorized, though the dealership stood by their original recommendation. When the repair failed to correct the issues, AASI was again asked to authorize replacement of the transmission. AASI has requested further testing, again at my expense. Nearly two months later I am still waiting for authorization and repair. Over the years, I have owned many vehicles and repair warranties. This continues to be the worst experience I have had with any such company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2022

I have been paying for 4 years on this warranty and had not had any problems with car. I had a power train issue and the adjustor did not feel that the diagnosis that the repair shop was sufficient and requested tear down of the transmission. Warranty used section f of need to tear down transmission to make sure it is bad. The mechanic had already diagnosed then an adjustor said no. Why do you pay for service not only did I take it to a shop that was name by them but I had to foot a $400 to be diagnosed that the warranty co did not pay. Lousy lousy service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

This company will lie to you about what they will cover. They make the contract vague enough so they can get out of covering any repairs. They will leave you high and dry and not cover anything. They will rip you off for monthly premiums for years and still not help you out when you need it. This company is criminal!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

From the very start it's been an uphill battle trying to get work done, along with trying to get a loaner car after 8 days of trying, still work is at a standstill on a job that should have taken 3 days max...and I didn't give it a 5 star rating, 2 at best.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

This is the 3rd time I have to call on the status of my claim. 1st time was to report a claim, then was told to have repair shop call. Repair shop called and got NEW person who would need to check to find out if part was covered. NEVER heard back from Rep at Auto Shield. I called again, almost 2 weeks later to find out what was happening and was told repair shop needs to call to put in a claim. They need to get their ACT together. VERY POOR SERVICE. Think twice about this company.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

American Auto Shield Company Information

CO
        Fax:
        303.420.4722
        americanautoshield.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: