2.94/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

69 American Auto Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My car was old when I got it but it's still in good condition so I wanted an extended warranty for it and got coverage from American Auto Shield. So far I’ve done three claims with them. The first one and the only major issue I've had was in 2012 for the ABS system. I was out of a car for a week but they handled the claim well. The mechanic that I took it to handled all the business along with the paperwork. And when I contacted American Auto Shield their representatives have been nice and helpful. There are some things I feel they should cover but for the price that I paid for the warranty and the service that I’ve received I will recommend them.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

The warranty was about to wear out on my truck so I decided to get a vehicle service contract from American Auto Shield. I've submitted a claim with them to get my fuel sensor replaced and they were prompt about it. They're terrific and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Purchased a contract with American Auto Shield last Dec. 2016. Had car problems in Mar. 2017 and was not told to put in complaint until 08/10/2017. At that time I faxed all the receipts, including a towing charge, to the fax number in the booklet (I have confirmation that the fax went thru and a witness). I called them on month after and was told by them that they did not receive the fax, even after showing the proof. They told me to refax it again. I had paid $5 for the first fax and due to what it says in the contract, it is not necessary to keep faxing more than once. Especially since it was confirmed that it did go thru.

I contacted the BBB of Colorado for an answer to this problem, and have not received one, even though it has been over 14 days from when the BBB notified the company. So my next step will have to be legal action with the Attorney General of Louisiana. My truck has been sitting about two months in the repair shop and this is uncalled by a business that advertises fast service and can trust! As a matter of fact, it is downright fraud and harassment.

I am now out about $1800 in repair bills and towing charges, and my truck still sits in the repair, with nothing being done. They have been withdrawing since last Dec. $199/mo from my bank account. I do intend to sue them for a complete refund of my money and the stress I have been thru and will never knock on their door again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I bought an extended warranty for $4,200. The salesman said "If you have any problems just take your car to the dealer, we'll get you a rental and use a company account to pay all the expenses." Of course it was too good to be true. My transmission went out and I took it to the dealership. AAS told the Volvo dealer they had to send my car to a transmission shop leaving me with the $200 diagnostic fee at Volvo. Next day I had it towed to Amco and they said AAS wanted them to take the transmission apart and find out what exactly is causing it to slip. And if what's causing it to slip not coved in the warranty I would be in charge of the expenses. AND they can't get me a rental until after an inspector comes and approve it and they didn't know when that will be.

I also paid extra for A/C repair. I had a leak in my A/C line and when it came time to get it repair ironically they told me my A/C warranty covered everything but leaks in lines. Long story short I ended up paying for the repairs myself and being out of $4200. (Advice From This Experience) *DO NOT buy an extended warranty. Open a car maintenance account for these expenses. My total repairs was around $1,800, way less than the $4200 I paid for the warranty.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

When I purchased the contract I wasn't given all the true obligations within it and when I called in the rep let me know that that is why they send out the booklet and it is our responsibility to read it in and out and that most customers don't take out the time to read it. It has been over a month since I've requested a refund and have not heard from anyone concerning my refund.

Hello Donna,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield serves as an administrator of vehicle service contracts. We do not participate in the sale of these plans. As such we do not contact consumers by mail or telephone with regard to purchasing vehicle service contracts or other products we may administer. With that said, we’re sorry to hear one of the marketer’s representatives may have treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

Furthermore, the marketer, Carsure, is responsible for refunding any monies due for the contract you purchased from them. As a courtesy, we contacted Carsure regarding your refund. Carsure submitted documentation indicating a refund via credit card was processed on August 25, 2017. If for some reason you did not receive this refund, please contact Carsure directly.

Thank you, again, for your feedback. If you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Auto Oil Leak and Water Leak. Job was completed ok. But It Took 4 days to complete Because Firestone and Auto Shield could not come to an agreement. No one called me during this time. I called Firestone they said no authorizing number was sent. I then called Auto Shield they said there was a disagreement with purchase price of parts. After 4 days they agreed and authorized the job.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I filed a claim for replacement of alternator. When I called to check on the claim, I was directed to an adjuster named Barry. Barry has a disgusting attitude. He's condescending, rude, and he made it very clear that helping customers with the cost of car repairs is a low priority for AAS. He acted as if AAS strictly requires me to satisfy him and my satisfaction as a customer is of NO importance at all. He acted like I have a duty to buy car-repair-insurance from AAS. Barry is a bully and should never be allowed to talk to customers. If Barry's attitude represents the character of AAS, AAS is greedy and has no business pretending to care at all about customers.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claim and that you feel one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention.

Please be assured we do not take these matters lightly. We will review any calls made and received regarding your claim, and appropriate action will be taken if necessary.

Thank you, again, for bringing your concerns to our attention. Should you need assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I wanted to protect my investment so I got a service contract with American Auto Shield for my vehicle. It runs on diesel and it usually gets a lot of mileage. I’ve filed a claim a couple of times and the first time was with a radiator and it went okay. But it took time because they kept trying to beat the price of the Ford dealership that was doing the repair work. And that is a vehicle that I drive every day and I needed it back. I didn’t get it back until I started threatening to get a rental vehicle. And it was going to cost them so much to pay and they were going to lose what they had already beaten before placed down on the price for. So then automatically they approved it.

Then the latest claim was for one of the diesel fuel injectors. They said it’s an internally lubricated part that they don’t cover. It cost me $600 out of pocket so far. The mechanics submit the claim to American Auto Shield and for both times, they had the mechanic on the phone for over an hour. It cost him money, which American Auto Shield don’t care about. A diesel mechanic gets around $100 an hour, so this guy lost $100 or more both times. It should just be either a no or yes answer to do it and they cover it. So my mechanic pretty much doesn’t want my truck back in there again if I’m making a claim. American Auto Shield doesn't cover a lot of stuff. Don’t deal with them. I’m thinking about dropping them.

Hello Brian,

We’re sorry to learn you weren’t completely satisfied with your claims service. Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. We’ve reviewed your contract and corresponding claims and have determined that your claims were administered properly.

Regarding your first claim, the repair facility initially contacted us on 7/10/2017. Unfortunately, they could not report the part that failed or the cause of failure at that time, as required by your contract. Additionally, we did not receive a call back from the repair facility regarding diagnosis until 7/12/2017. However, once the repair facility contacted us, our adjuster authorized the claim the same day.

Regarding your most recent claim, while we do not like to deny claims, as an administrator we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Unfortunately, your contract does not have coverage for seals and gaskets as stand-alone repairs. With that said, we were happy to reimburse you for your towing expense for this claim.

We apologize that we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction, but we thank you, again, for your feedback. We value your patronage. Should you need our assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

The customer service representatives were always helpful when I spoke with them. My only constructive criticism with my claim would be the length of time it took to reach a decision regarding the claim. There were many times I called to make sure they did not need additional information and they would say they did not, but they actually did need an additional service record. If this had been caught sooner I think my claim would have taken less time to reach a decision. I have been without my car for 7 weeks now and I have two jobs, one of which requires me to drive two hours each way. This has caused some stress and difficulty, but I am thankful that my claim was finally handled and I should have my car back in the near future.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

American Auto Shield has good customer service. She was really nice and knowledgeable and that was a good experience.

Hello Manuel,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re so pleased to hear your experience was positive, as it should be! Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Someone called me many months ago and went on and on about trying to convince me to go with AHS and after paying a bit of money into it, I had no choice. I had to finish the contract. I have not received back what I have paid into it, but I'm not going to complain because it's water over the dam. It was on a Tuesday when I found out my car wouldn’t start and I knew I had to take it to Sauve’s because I like to patronize locally. We're in a small town, and I waited and they quickly went through the car and told me what it needed to have done. I knew that I'd have to leave the car there. They even have two cars that they lend to people whose cars are being worked on, but the man gave me a ride home and I didn’t think it would be ready then until Thursday. But Tuesday, at 4:00 in the afternoon, he called and said that it was ready. I was extremely pleased with the work they did. It is an older car, so I feel very confident using it now.

I had actually forgotten about the American Auto Shield insurance until Wednesday morning and I think God planted the idea in my head that I have insurance. So I called and right away they were on top of it and they contacted Sauve’s and then they called me back once for the original estimate from Sauve’s was lower than what it actually cost them. It all has worked out in my best interest. I only had to pay $500 something and Auto Shield dealt directly with Sauve’s bill. I was happy that they helped me out. I'm a retired senior on a living limited income and it really made a difference for me.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have a new vehicle so I acquired a vehicle service contract. I have one claim with American Auto Shield. I took the car to the shop, they called American Auto Shield and everything was taken care of. Everything worked fine.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to review our services. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know that your vehicle service contract is taking care of your repair needs, as expected.

We’re glad to have you as our customer. Should you ever need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

As a Retired Military service member I am very apprehensive about dealing with companies that cold call me especially with the wrong vehicle info but I gave them a shot. I had the policy for a few months and had an issue with my vehicle, filed a claim and was told they were canceling my policy, the claim was denied and to call the broker company (Cartection) to get a refund. They said the claim couldn't be paid because my vehicle showed up on "CarFax" as a Branded Title vehicle or uneconomically repairable vehicle. I sent them 2 state titles that show otherwise and they still refuse to pay the claim, my vehicle is in the shop with over $6k in repairs to be done & the broker company Cartection says it will be 3 weeks before I will see a refund.

I filed a complaint with the Department of Insurance as well in Georgia, Colorado and California to deal with this matter and warn others "Buyer Beware!" These companies should be held to a higher standard when qualifying contracts as and spend the extra money to run actual state title information like a real insurance company does, not relying on Car Fax. Nowhere in their contract does it say Car Fax information will be relied on for the adjudication of these claims!

Hello John,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. As an initial matter, American Auto Shield serves as an administrator of vehicle service contracts. We do not participate in the sale of these plans. As such we do not contact consumers by telephone with regard to purchasing vehicle service contracts or other products we may administer. Authorized third-party marketers and auto dealers who sell on behalf of multiple companies are only associated with American Auto Shield in the event the vehicle service contract sold is administered by our office.

Additionally, while we do not like to deny claims, as an administrator we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Because the contract you purchased specifically excludes coverage for repairs if your vehicle is a grey market vehicle or has ever had a title indication of salvage, junk, branded or other designation indicating that the vehicle had been stolen, wrecked, destroyed, water damaged, or otherwise damaged to the extent that it was considered to be uneconomical to repair, we were unable to administer payment for your claim. Because the contract would not have coverage for this or any future claims, the contract was cancelled and any refund due would be issued by the seller.

We sincerely apologize that we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction. We thank you for your service and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: July 31, 2017

My car was losing a toll on of antifreeze per week. Couldn't see a leak. Dodge dealer said a bad intake manifold gasket. If your car is disabled what good is a warranty if the gasket is not covered? Air conditioner and cooling system covered complete is what I was told. I will make sure everyone hears of this too! I should have known better. All service contracts are misleading to the point of fraudulent. My attorney will go over this for sure. Meanwhile save your money. Pay for your repairs.

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. While we do not like to deny claims, as an administrator we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Unfortunately, we are unable to pay for parts not listed as covered in the contract.

We’re sorry that we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback. Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our Customer Service Specialists are happy to assist you.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I bought a vehicle service contract from American Auto Shield for at least 2 years after I watched their commercial, just see how it goes. I didn't know anything about it and I said to myself, "Well, it won't be a bad idea to have." That time, I'd probably get rid of the vehicle and only keep them about every two years. I had it looked at before I even bought the insurance. The mechanic did some work to it, did a wheel bearing on it and stuff. I asked him how it looked and he said, "It looks pretty good. But you know, it's not a bad idea. You'll never know if an engine blows." But about eight years ago, I got a car, drove it for about six months, and the engine blew.

I've called them and submitted a claim for service. I talked to them and they just come up with it and there is nobody else to go to, "No higher up," is what the guy told me. They were willing to send three adjusters out to look at it three different times and keep the vehicle out of my service. One guy inspected it and said "Yeah, it slips. The transmission does slip. Yes, it does." After they broke the car down, another guy says, "Well, I can't really tell what the problem is. Something internally is happening, but I can't explain why." They then came up with a few sets of air pockets in the casting of the car, and the truck ran from '06 through 2017 fine. But now the casting on the transmission case had pockets in it. That just doesn't happen, and it just doesn't go away.

What I come down to is that it was just their excuse not to pay a claim. They're a fraud. They will be more than happy to accept your money then they don't do anything about your claim. I have dealt with extended warranties before on vehicles, and when they find the problem with the car, they just either replace it with a new part and get it done. It cost me about a total of about $500 in the time I spent with their guy. That was my only claim. I don't claim just because I got insurance, I'm not one of those people. I didn't even ask for a rental car while my vehicle was out. I borrowed a vehicle from a friend for the longest time and wore out my welcome there. He was pissed at me for as long as I took. I'll never go back to them and I'll be out of the contract in any way I possibly can. It's a very pissful experience, and would I ever, ever think of doing it again? No way. They're horrible.

Hello James,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We regret learning that your experience was unsatisfactory. As an initial matter, please know that there are supervisors and managers to address any concerns you may have regarding your coverage or claims, should you need to speak with someone directly.

Please be advised that we do not send our adjusters to inspect customer vehicles. However, when a repair facility is unable to determine the cause of failure as required by the terms and conditions of the service contract, the administrator may assign an independent inspector to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to the vehicle. Furthermore, while we do not like to deny claims, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Per the contract you purchased, a transmission case is covered only if damage is caused by a failure of any internally lubricated part within the transmission. Unfortunately, there was no failure demonstrated by the repair facility to any internally lubricated parts within the transmission.

Please also be advised that the vehicle service contract you purchased provides rental car coverage from a licensed vehicle rental company for authorized and coverable claims should you need assistance in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback. We sincerely apologize that we were not able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction, but we hope we were able to satisfactorily address your concerns. Should you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly. Thank you for being an American Auto Shield customer.

Original review: June 3, 2017

When I got the contract, I was told that I would pay a monthly payment. If I had to have repairs, there is courtesy towing as well as Rent-A-Car, $100.00 deductible and the plans pays the rest. I tried to use it for repairs three different time, each time I was denied the repairs. The first time I had to wait 30 days before using it. The second time the parts were not covered. This last time, I was told that the water pump and radiator would be covered, two of six parts damaged, by the water pump housing breaking. A week later they told me the claim was denied because the water pump is under warranty from a company. Here is the kicker, they would only cover the two parts, the rest I would have to pay for.

The tow company was only a $75.00, anything after that for tow I would have to pay for. The rent a car, I would have to get on my own and they said they would reimburse that cost. So paying the monthly amount, any amount on tow and rent a car if I got one, then the cost of what the shop did not get from the warranty. To me it seem nothing I was told is what it really is. The contract book is so confusing that it's hard to know what is covered and what is not. The frustration from the time my truck broke to this day is over the top as well the stress. I have put in just under $1,000.00 from monthly payments, the cost of repairs I had to do because I could not use this warranty is just over $1,000.00. The money I paid to this company is just a waste and I was not able to use it.

Plus some of the people had no clue. The person setting up for a tow truck, I was on the phone with for close to three hours, trying to explain where my truck was broke down at. I tried telling her just tell the tow driver, they should know right where I was. Thank God my brother showed up. Got a tow company to tow my truck. The trying to get information from people in the company about my truck was just as bad, I was either talking to the wrong department, or kept getting disconnected. They said their phone messed up, right. Then we had to wait on the adjuster from yet another company to go look at my truck and they would decide if the company would pay or not. I kept telling them I have no transportation but they kept saying, "We will see if we can push them."

It took four days for them to get the information for adjuster and decide they would not cover it. Then trying to cancel this plan, was just as bad. They tried everything they could to get me to change my mind, by this time I was so mad if I could of choked the person through the phone I would of. It does not matter who or about you, it's all about the company. Also if you're on a limited income like myself this is not for you, you have to have a good saving amount, or you will be like I have been this week. Stressed out, frustrated. It's not worth it.

Hello Waverly,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the claims process and appreciate the opportunity to address each of your concerns. To clarify, American Auto Shield is not the seller of the contract you purchased, and we are not your payment plan company. AAS is the claims administrator for the service contract you purchased from the seller.

While the contract you purchased includes roadside assistance benefits, including towing service, the services are administered by an independent nationwide roadside assistance administrator, not AAS. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with this service and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We will address the same with the administrator.

The contract you purchased includes rental car reimbursement for authorized and coverable claims. However, American Auto Shield is not a rental car company, and we do not provide or make arrangements for rental car service. With that said, rental car coverage, when applicable, can be obtained from any licensed vehicle rental company of your choice. Many repair facilities have loaner cars or have a rental facility on-site. However, if your repair facility does not provide rental cars, simply contact your local rental car company and retain your receipt.

While we do not like to deny claims, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased; therefore, we must adhere to the waiting period condition in the contract terms, we are only able to administer payment for failed parts listed as covered in the contract, we may assign an independent inspector to determine cause of failure and extent of damage to the vehicle, and if a covered part is covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, repairer’s guarantee, or other service contract, or insurance policy of any type, then such warranty, service contract or insurance shall be primary, and coverage under the AAS contract shall be secondary.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are sorry we weren’t able to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction, but we hope we’ve addressed any questions or concerns you may have. If you should have any additional questions regarding your coverage, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: May 28, 2017

My CV shaft was leaking grease all over exhaust of my 2008 Subaru. I contacted American Auto Shield. They told me to take it anywhere I wanted even the dealer. I set up a appointment with Cannon Subaru of Lakeland, FL. Arriving at Cannon showed them my paperwork. They said no problem. They work with this kind of thing all the time. I left my car. A couple days later I get a call from Cannon saying they can't finish my repair because of issues with American Auto Shield. I find out that American Auto Shield wants to send parts to Subaru that they won't install. Now I'm stuck with my car torn apart waiting so I call American Auto Shield. They say that's the way they work.

Wish someone would have figured that out ahead of time. So Subaru tells me that I will have to pay for parts. Well when I go to pick up my car American Auto Shield barely paid half and it cost me over $300.00 to get the keys. So 4 months later the other side shaft does the same thing. I call American Auto Shield. Same story. I ask if I could do repair. They said no. So instead of doing the same thing over I bought my own parts. Repaired my car for $84.00.

Hello Leonard,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t completely satisfied with your claims service and that your repair facility would not install the parts offered to repair your vehicle.

With that said, we’re glad we were able to pay a portion of your claim. Should you have additional questions about your coverage, please don’t hesitate to contact us. One of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to address any concerns you might have.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I got American Auto Shield for over a year now at the same time when I bought a used car. My engine light came on, so I had all the spark plugs and the gas was changed. It was still misfiring on number 6 and nobody could figure out why. I thought it might be the transmission but they weren't really helpful. They were saying I have to pay for $65 an hour to put it on this machine and I haven't had the money for that. So I went and got an ignition coil put on number 6. I'd be able to get a rental car for four days and American Auto Shield will pay for them. But if it's a transmission, it takes more than four days, then I'm just stuck and got to pay for it myself. There's also something wrong with what they cover. I thought I'll get it bumper to bumper. I have an automatic payment set up for this and it seems I'm paying for something I can't use. It wasn't very pleasant and if a friend asks about them, I'll tell them to check around.

Original review: May 22, 2017

I did not have a good experience with your company. Five weeks to wait for a repair is an excessive amount of time. Every time I would call, the representative was polite and answered questions. When they have transferred me to claims adjuster, I was treated like a stupid woman. One thing they do excessively well is make excuses and they have the best in the nation ways to hold up progress. Started out needed diagnosis then would call inspector. Then needed car torn down further, then needed more tests, then needed back to diagnosis, then waiting on inspector, then waiting for inspector report, then needed pictures. For five weeks. I really cannot identify where the bottle neck was - but your responsiveness is horrible. It is my wish that someone look at the process and review for problems and inefficiency and go solve the problems so your company can continue to be successful.

Hello Kathryn,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claim and that one of our representatives treated you in a manner less than pleasant and professional when you contacted our office. We train each of our representatives to be professional, kind and polite at all times, and we genuinely appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please be assured we do not take these matters lightly, and appropriate action has been taken.

Regarding any delay in your vehicle’s repair, unfortunately, the repair facility was unable to determine a cause of failure or confirm the extent of damage; therefore, we assigned an independent inspector to determine the cause of failure prior to issuing authorization for repairs, per the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Our records do not indicate that the inspector caused any delay. The repair facility contacted our office on a Friday, the inspection was immediately scheduled, and a report was received the following Tuesday. Our records do indicate, however, that there was a delay in receiving information from the repair facility, including the final invoice necessary to process the claim and pay for the repair.

With that said, we’re pleased we were able to process and pay your claim. Thank you, again, for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Original review: May 21, 2017

The hose on my radiator popped out so I had coolant flushed and a new hose popped in. But since it's not covered, I paid for it on my own. But three other for motor mounts were bad and it ended up to be repaired. The technician to where I usually get a service said all four should be repaired. American Auto Shield then sent an inspector over on a Friday to try to find out if three of them were bad instead of four. Also, the technician recommended the motor mounts that was the best for my specific vehicle, but what American Auto sent over was the aftermarket parts which were the cheapest. The part has a warranty, but it was the suckiest one. I understand that it's business, but it was awful and it's not even good.

Also before that, I already had an engine mount put on it and it was on the right side. And it's not like I go off-roading because I literally just drive to work and back. They've both been great but they're not rough to where you need new engine mounts, it's just that the parts that they use are not good. And that's what supposed to happen when you short change, cheap parts and cheap labor. I know that sooner or later, I might need new engine mounts, but it's almost no point to it. And then the other time, they didn't even want to pay for the service but it's part of the contract.

On top of that, I had to pay an extra two days for a car rental because the inspector got there late and they only pay for three days rental. So it's not about giving the customer gratifying service anymore and they're only gonna do the minimal requirements to satisfy the contract. I am not happy at all and I've been very dissatisfied. Every time I deal with them I have issues. I've been disappointed more than once. It's just like it's all about the interest of American Auto Shield and not the interest of the customer who owns the vehicle. They're not real good customer service people and they're not a company that push their customer service.

Hello Efrem,

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to address your concerns. Our records indicate your most recent claim was called in on a Wednesday. Unfortunately, the repair facility was unable to provide a cause of failure as required by the contract; therefore and per our records, an independent inspector was assigned to inspect the vehicle to determine cause of failure and extent of damage. Per our records, the inspection was performed on Thursday and the complete report was received on Friday. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during this phase of your claim service.

While we do not like to deny any portion of a claim, we are obligated to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Therefore, we are only able to administer payment for failed parts listed as covered in the contract. With that said, we were happy to administer payment for those parts listed as covered in the contract and verified as failed.

We’re also sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with the warrantied parts provided to repair your vehicle. A number of companies make parts designed to function the same, or in some cases even better, than the original, manufacturer’s part. However, we appreciate your feedback and are happy to discuss any additional concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact one of our Customer Service Specialists should you need further assistance.

Original review: May 20, 2017

No problems as long as you follow their rules. They paid our Ford dealership promptly. They also refunded some $ to us when one of our vehicles was wrecked. We had 2 with them and if we need I will not hesitate to buy again. Read your policy and follow instructions to call them before work is done.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I had a 100,000 mile warranty on my vehicle. I like the car and I plan on keeping it for another 100,000 miles, so I decided to get another warranty. The Mercedes dealer deals with American Auto Shield and files the claims with them. I had a claim that I had two things on it. One was covered and the other wasn't. That's the way it went and it was fine.

The only problem I have with American Auto Shield is the way it’s set up. You deal with one group but that's not the name of the one that backs and finances the whole operation. It's more like a brokerage, but it's not a problem for me. If you try to look up the insurance company that I was dealing with, you can't find them. I found out it was American Auto Shield when I called back to verify what was going on. They said, “Yeah, we're not listed.” I would recommend American Auto Shield to a friend that wanted to extend or that really like their car and wanted to keep it for another 100,000 miles.

Original review: May 17, 2017

Repairs were needed due to a long trip ahead and struts needed replacing. I was told that someone had to inspect them before they authorized the repair and it would be three days before someone would be available. I was to leave in three days and had to pay for the work myself because I could not take the chance of having a breakdown on the weekend on the road.

Hello William,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to learn that you weren’t satisfied with your claim. Per our records, the repair facility reported both front upper control arms and both front lower ball joints; however, struts were not mentioned.

We’re also sorry to hear that you were short on time and could not leave the vehicle for inspection; however, per the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, the administrator has the right to inspect the vehicle prior to issuing authorization for repairs.

Thank you, again, for your feedback and for being an American Auto Shield customer. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your coverage, please feel free to contact us. One of our Customer Service Specialists will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Original review: May 15, 2017

The regular warranty for the car was up, so I got an extended warranty with American Auto Shield. I submitted a claim for the power hatch motor and they said it wasn’t covered. I was disappointed and I traded it in because there might be other things that are not covered. It’s hard to tell. There are all these electrical things that it covered and for some reason that piece wasn’t. I would not recommend extended warranties in general because with my experience, they are not what they crack up to be.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I bought a used car and I wanted to make sure to have a warranty on. And so, I decided to get a vehicle service contract with American Auto Shield. However, something happened and I lost my card. So, I called American Auto Shield and told them to send me a new card. They told me they couldn't send me one but they sent me a package letter instead. I didn't understand that. Nevertheless, the service contract has been helpful.

Original review: April 19, 2017

My warranty was about to run out and I saw the commercial on TV so I acquired American Auto Shield. I’ve used it several times but they didn’t pay everything that they said they would pay. They say bumper to bumper, but that’s not the case. Then it takes too long to approve the work that they are trying to do. They notified me the next day and tell them what’s all wrong with the car. But then they don’t agree with that. They shop around to see if they could get it done cheaper. They said you can use any auto service you want. But if you don’t change it to another service that’ll do it cheaper, then you got to pay out of pocket. I don’t think that’s fair.

I have a Cadillac so I took it out to Orr Cadillac. That’s where I get things serviced or repaired, at the Cadillac dealership. But they seem to think that the Cadillac is charging too much. They are only paying a certain amount for this car. If the service is covered, why not pay the full amount that they’re saying it takes to repair it?

I’m considering changing to something else because I’ve paid out of pocket more than they claim when I first enrolled in it. So it is $100 deductible and I wind up paying $400, $500. I wouldn’t recommend it. Now a cheaper model car, I can. But a Cadillac, no. It takes money to repair those.

Hello Gwendolyn,

We appreciate your taking the time to give us your feedback, and we hope that our Claims Manager was able to address any concerns and answer any questions you might have regarding coverage and our obligation to adjudicate claims in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased. Should you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We value your patronage.

Original review: April 15, 2017

My experience has been excellent. Customer service is polite and caring and personal. Spend necessary time to listen to your issues. Approval takes only a few minutes for covered repairs. The company strives to be the best. In opinion, they are. American Auto Shield - keep it up!

Original review: April 14, 2017

American Auto Shield is a nice coverage to have if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long extended time over the years. It help saves on expensive auto out of pocket funds. Just don't like that they use manufacture parts.

Original review: April 13, 2017

One of the most horrible and frustrating experiences I've ever been through in dealing with a warranty company. The customer service was horrible, as well as the way the claim (Transmission failure on Yukon Denali) was handled with my GM dealership. I will discourage ANYONE from ever purchasing a warranty from this company. As a result as well, my GM dealership had such a horrible experience, that they will now refuse work from any customer who comes to them with this warranty. The adjuster over the phone accused me of maliciously damaging my vehicle and was most difficult to deal with.

Both the dealership AND and an industry expert hired as an independent adjuster recommended a replacement, but the warranty company adjuster drag the claim out, pushing for a repair v/s a replacement, knowing that a repair would be more expensive than a replacement. He also drag the claim out for weeks... causing me the customer hundreds of dollars of rental car expenses. I've went to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and made sure that they realize what a horrible name they would be making for themselves by recommending American Auto Shield to any of their customers. The dealership that performed the repair, stated to me that this was the worst experience he'd ever had in dealing with a warranty company and that they will not perform work on any customer's vehicle that is a warranty claim through American Auto Shield.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. A Customer Service Specialist will contact you within 48 hours to personally address your concerns.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I have only used the warranty once. So far I have not be impressed. Owning a Porsche, I wanted Porsche replacement part in lieu of aftermarket parts. This warranty only covered about half the cost of repairs. Would not recommend!

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to learn you weren’t satisfied with your claims service. Per the terms and conditions of the contract you purchased, repair or replacement of covered parts may be made with parts of like kind and quality.

With that said, we’re glad we were able to pay your recent claim, and one of our Customer Service Specialists would be happy to address any additional questions you might have about your coverage. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance.

American Auto Shield Company Information