1.14/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Auto Shield’s coverage options will satisfy most needs. Although American Auto Shield only works through dealerships, their large number of plans and acceptance of high-mileage and older cars make them a good choice.

PROS

• Large number of plans available
  • Lenient age/mileage requirements
  • Motorcycle/ATV coverage

CONS

• Only sold through dealerships
  • Expensive towing fee

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim … Thank you Auto Shield.

I was accepted and given a great deal on an extended warranty for my car. This completely made my day. I am going to recommend them to my friends and family. I don't have anxiety planning a trip to visit a friend of mine who lives 5 hours away from me.

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers six plans. The three most comprehensive plans are the Deluxe, Premium and Diamond plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan that American Auto Shield offers.

The Platinum plan and Deluxe plan both have component coverage, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional customizable coverage packages that customers can tack on.

DeluxePlatinumDiamond
Type of coverageComponentComponentExclusionary
Car age limit20 years20 years9 years
Mileage limit150,000 miles100,000 miles90,000 miles

American Auto Shield's powertrain coverage plans include the following: Powertrain, PT Silver and PT Gold. Powertrain is the most basic and affordable plan. PT Gold offers the most coverage, while PT Silver is a hybrid of the two.

PowertrainPT SilverPT Gold
Type of coveragePowertrainEnhanced PowertrainExpanded Powertrain
Car age limit25 years25 years25 years
Mileage limit250,000 miles200,000 miles200,000 miles

American Auto Shield coverage

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicle needs repairs. American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old. This is much older than most companies will cover. The mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also high. American Auto Shield offers 24/7 customer service, available both by phone and online chat.

Rental reimbursements are $40 a day for up to four days. That’s $160 in total. This is an average rental reimbursement policy. American Auto Shield has a $75 towing fee. Most extended auto warranties, however, allow for complimentary towing with every plan.

Do we recommend American Auto Shield?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with high mileage. Their additional benefits leave something to be desired, but their wide array of coverage options mean most customers will be able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield is able to cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Salesman called and talked me into a service policy with CarShield/American Auto Shield is another name that I have just come across. I have had this policy for 8 months at $89 per month direct withdrawn from my bank account. Everything great till I had a break down (2013 Ford F-150 crewcab FX4 Platinum). Had 93000 miles when purchased policy, 100443 miles when breakdown. CV joints, axles, bearing, fuel induction system V-6 engine start / stop fuel problem and few other things. Took it to Ford Dealer service shop for tech and repair, Nothing covered per the ASE service tec was told by Claims from Auto shield (800-856-7884). Just beware/ $2551.37 total deductible. No warranty...

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Updated on 12/05/2019: After one month America Auto Shield answer but same. In your policy have customer can't apply for claim. Your worker..did and no inform no service worker from LAMACCHIA HONDA, no me. Just they give us claim Number on 10/9/2019 what we have and I Bring my car to dealer for fix problem. Next Day after service worker all About amount. Claim dept. said, "Sorry claim open in waiting time." I no open, service worker no open. OPEN bad worker (no ask About this to customer) from AMERICA AUTO SHIELD. WHY they refund all my money because better Pay less money or need Pay for fix. I CALL NEVER, NEVER BUSINESS with AMERICA AUTO SHIELD, and AUTO CARSHIED. I can't change my rate. I don't like people have wrong information. Read many review About this Company from 2019. BAD.

Original Review: OPEN CLAIM NUMBER before waiting time, no tell About this to customer and can't give Information name who open this CLAIM. (This time I just call from dealer service About what Cover my warranty. JUST and why they no tell me About claim Number. JUST 10/09/2019 when I call About claim they give us CLAIM NUMBER ** (After I know About this claim Number from September SURPRISE). Why and who open this CLAIM NUMBER BEFORE WAITING PERIOD. Broken contract rule. Where interesting customer service name CARSHIELD, but CLAIM DEPT. AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD (just today I know About this. FUNNY. NEVER, NEVER contact with this Company.

American Auto Shield response

We appreciated the opportunity to resolve this matter through the Better Business Bureau. To clarify, this customer purchased his service contract through Carshield. American Auto Shield, a separate company, is the claims administrator of the service contract he purchased. Per our records, the customer contacted AAS on September 10, 2019, to start a claim, and his chosen repair facility also contacted AAS on September 17, 2019, regarding the same. While we do not like to deny claims, we are unable to pay for pre-existing conditions or for those repairs performed without prior authorization from the administrator. As requested by the customer, AAS processed a cancellation of the customer’s service contract, and a full refund of the amount he paid for the contract has been issued.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I have a Ford f150 with the 5.4 Triton and I have had. Nothing but trouble out of this company. Now it is in the shop with a locked up engine and me being a disabled American veteran and single father of 3 can't afford to get it fixed or to get another car. They knew of these issues and won't fix the engine. All because of a milage discrepancy between them and CARFAX. There is no discrepancy. They just don't want to pay to get car fixed. ** of a company. Don't back.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

They sent a bad motor to Amaco where they had me being my car. And now they wont replace the bad motor they sent. This is the worse company ever. And are not worthy to anything they say. And I will not ever work with them again. I paid 28 hundred. Thank you. Joann **

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Denial of my valid claim twice despite my dispute letter explicitly stating the valid reasons why AAS should honor their repair agreement. Took my 2003 Acura TL Type S to Acura of Ocean, NJ. Was told transmission is "totally scorched and burned and vehicle is NOT drivable, period" (The service technician's exact words! Cost of transmission $5,000 (for a car I paid $2100 for). Turns out that the vehicle actually only needed trans fluid upon which when put in drove perfectly for 3,320 miles with no CEL! (That's the distance between New York and Los Angeles and then another 500 miles!) Not drivable indeed!

LOL Every transmission facility I checked with told me that "No way would a car with such a diagnosed transmission issue drive anywhere's near that much, let alone 3,320 miles" and I found several transmissions for $800-$950 delivered to Middletown, NJ. Note: AAS 89 reviews show 75 are 1-Star and Acura of Ocean 27 reviews show 17 are 1-Star. Some consumers reviewing each said they'd have given them 0-Stars if they could. What does that tell you right there about these two places?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I've been a policyholder for car shield for over 9 months. Two weeks ago I took my car to a Goodyear shop to replace the timing chain that was making all kinds of noise. The shop contact AAS and receive approval to do the job totaling 1421$. During the job the technician discovered the engine motor mounts were destroyed and needed replacement. He called in for approval and was told by the adjuster that he was sending a field person to inspect the car, however he offered to send 45$ motor mounts instead of the OEM that cost 270$ each.

When the field inspector view my car he saw a business licence attached to a Lyft sticker. He immediately declined the claim for motor mounts and determined my car a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE. I called the company to discuss this issue and no one would listen to me over 12 hrs no rime or reason. I called on Monday and was read a statement written by the underwriting stating: no coverage for the motor mounts and we are declining payment on the original approval for the timing chain job totaling 1421$ due that the vehicle is considered to be a commercial vehicle.

I looked under Nevada Commercial Vehicle definition and very clear it states that my vehicle in not a and that my claim should be paid. The underwriter would not have it. I was told that going forward I had to add and pay 5$ extra to add an endorsement to cover any future claims. Well this company did not treat me right for as many billions of profit dollars they make and pay in executive salaries. Why do they choose to do the wrong thing. Imagine all the hundred of thousands of people they are doing this to. I've tried reaching out to corporate management to discuss and file a complaint with no luck. As of now I am stuck with making the approved but later declined payment of 1421$. AAS has managed to hide access to the owners and executive zero point of contact. If anyone out there has a way to contact this people please let me know email to **. Thank you. CM

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

The warranty says only major components are covered, no seals. My rear main seal blew, which is a major component, but was not covered because it has the word "seal" in it. Very sneaky, and unprofessional. I had to call 4 times to reach a supervisor.

American Auto Shield response

We appreciated the opportunity to resolve this matter through the Better Business Bureau. The customer purchased a Repair Saver Treatment Kit. The vehicle failures diagnosed were a leaking rear main seal and an oil pan gasket that needed replacement. The claim was denied as the agreement very clearly states on the first page that leaking gaskets or seals are not covered.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

They have dragged their feet, and when the engine was replaced, they refused to cover basic items that they called (maintenance items). Yes filters, belts, plugs, and hoses are normally maintenance items, but, why would you replace an engine without replacing those items, just to ensure the old ones didn't cause a future failure? Would you replace a deck and use the old screws?

Plus, through this whole 1 1/2 month process I have been put on hold for well over 6 hours total, not called about progress, talked down to, and had notes deleted from my file over what I was told. When I purchased my policy, I was not told that I had 30 day to review it, and I NEVER received a paper copy, and still haven't, even after I asked for it. Your customer service number should be different from a number to talk to an adjuster, and, the customer deserves that the original adjuster be the one that deals the customer and repair facility. Most of your adjusters have been rude to the repair facility, and very condescending to me.

I am an Aviation Maintenance Technician, and know machines work. Don't try to BS me. Don't try to tell me things happen a certain way when I know they don't. Using the "local" average is wrong. The local average is based on tire facilities, and oil change facilities, not major mechanical facilities. The dealerships around me charge well over the average, as do the transmission facilities. At this point, I will NEVER recommend your company to my worst enemy. Until my costs are rectified you will get a bad review on every form of media I can find.

American Auto Shield response

We were sorry to hear about your experience, and our team reached out to you for additional information. Please contact us at your earliest convenience so that we may better assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I decided to go with this company for my extended warranty on my car and at first I couldn't say anything nicer about them. The payments were low every month, like $60.00 per month. There was no long term contract and I could cancel anytime. Maybe 3 months after I did this my transmission went out in my 2007 Nissan Altima. The only bad about the claims process was that it took like 4 weeks, but they honored what they said was covered and sent me a transmission to the transmission specialist which was my choice because it didn't call for much out of my pocket.

I was told that it was unnecessary to keep the initial policy that was in place to cover the new (used) transmission if I didn't want to because it comes with a 1 year warranty on the transmission itself. So regardless if I had the initial policy it would still be covered for 1 year.. Well the transmission they sent lasted about 4 months bringing me to now and has yet gone out AGAIN!! I called them only to find out that now they are not going to honor any warranty on it and are saying in order for them to do so, I had to have kept the initial warranty the entire time with no lapse!!?? And of course the supervisor guy that assured me it had a warranty before I chose to go with one from them and not a new one, no longer works there and wasn't put in writing to me.

I never got any paperwork on this transmission period. So here I am with no vehicle and these people could care less. They misrepresented, lied, and cheated. They offered warranty that they had no intention of honoring. I warn people that if these people would do this to me they are subject to do the same to you! They have no idea the hardship my family and I are now going thru!???? SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have given up on American Auto Shield and requesting a full refund of my policy. I have a Mercedes C300 which any repair on this vehicle is not cheap. My car was towed into the a Board Certified Mercedes Benz repair facility in January 2019 and the mechanic immediately deemed it was the transmission. AAS claims requested that the mechanic tear down the engine to pinpoint determining factor, it falls under my powertrain warranty which was the purpose of the warranty in the first place. The mechanic informed me it's a very costly process and if AAS determines the issue does not fall under the powertrain warranty then I will be stuck with the costly bill.

My husband is hospitalized and I'm cannot afford this repair without my warranty. After going back and forth with claims for 5 months I had the car towed from that repair shop to a Mercedes Dealership at Mercedes Downtown LA which determined the issue is inside the transmission and still denied. I'm paying a car note on a car I cannot drive, I want a full refund. It is now August, my car has been sitting undrivable for 8 months, I'm paying for a car note on a car I cannot drive because AAS refuses to do what is right and provide the service I paid for in the event I have a powertrain issue. Please refund my money so I can pay to get my car fixed.

American Auto Shield response

We were sorry to hear about your experience, and our team reached out to you on August 15, 2019, to assist you with a resolution. Please contact us at your earliest convenience so that we may better assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

American Auto Shield Company Information