Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Help me decide

4.4/5 (151 ratings)

About American Auto Shield

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided vehicle service contracts with a simplified claims process. AAS offers auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders. It also provides access to 24/7 online support and claims filing.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Monthly plans available
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Large number of plans available

Cons

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Bottom Line

American Auto Shield has coverage to satisfy most needs. Although it only works through dealerships, its large number of plans and acceptance of older and higher-mileage cars make it a good option.

Top American Auto Shield Reviews

Verified

After looking around for a while this was the best deal. The personnel was very helpful and courteous. I would recommend this company to all my friends. They were spot on as to wh...

Verified

... A bad ignition coil was the issue. I let the service manager know I have a contract with American Auto Shield. They called me back 15 mins later saying it’s covered and its pa...

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers eight plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan. The Platinum and Deluxe plans both cover named components, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional, customizable coverage packages available.

American Auto Shield also has three options for more moderate coverage. The Aluminum plan offers a mid-level named component coverage, but the Bronze and Tech Plus plans are designed for specialty needs. The Bronze plan offers wrap coverage to complement an existing auto warranty. The Tech Plus plan exclusively covers electronics.

American Auto Shield then has two more basic plans: Powertrain and PT Gold. Powertrain is more affordable, but PT Gold offers more coverage.

PlanType of coverage
    BronzeWrap
    Tech PlusElectronics only
    PT GoldExpanded powertrain
    PowertrainPowertrain

American Auto Shield also offers several levels of mechanical breakdown insurance, which is an insurance product that mimics the function of an extended auto warranty.

American Auto Shield coverage

American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old, which is much older than many companies are willing to cover. The company’s mileage limit is 250,000 miles, which is also comparatively high.

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicles need repairs. American Auto Shield also offers 24/7 customer service by phone and online chat.

American Auto Shield offers towing coverage of up to $75 per occurrence. Many extended warranty companies offer complimentary towing, though. American Auto Shield’s rental reimbursements are about average at $40 a day for up to four days.

American Auto Shield FAQ

Can you get an American Auto Shield quote online?
    American Auto Shield does not offer the option to get a quote online. However, calling directs you to customer service representatives who can help you get the right warranty plan.
    How do you file claims with American Auto Shield warranty?
    Customers or repair companies can call American Auto Shield to work on a claim. On the company’s website, there is a link to report a claim and upload supporting documents. Users can view claim history, status, milestones and payments when logged into their accounts online.
    Are American Auto Shield warranties transferable?
    Yes, you can transfer American Auto Shield warranties to a private party if you are trading in or selling your vehicle. Warranties can only be transferred from person to person and not to an auctioneer or dealership. This means you won’t necessarily waste money if you decide to sell before the end of your warranty. Also, transferring an extended warranty can increase the resale value of your vehicle.

Is American Auto Shield legit?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with higher mileage. Its additional benefits leave something to be desired, but the company’s wide array of coverage options means many customers are able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield can cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

S/O to Juliette who is a representative from Car Shield who took the time to address my concern and resolved my question when I called yesterday on 2/26/21. I was completely satisfied and she was able to have my monthly payment due date adjusted in order for me to organize my financial obligations to what’s best for me. A friend of mine is in the market of buying a car soon so I’ll definitely will be recommending Car Shield to him. Since I have a decent social media following over 20k views on Snapchat for every story I post I’ll post one today saying whoever doesn’t have car warranty coverage needs to sign up with Car Shield and ask for Juliette. Tell her Earth’s Finest Emcee sent you.???? Thank you Juliette and thanks for the laughter pronouncing my last name!!?? #TruShoutout on Saturdays with DrewB® on #Snapchat???

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Your representatives helped me with an extremely distasteful experience with a dealership I trusted. On Day 1 they lost my car and denied having spoken with the towing company. I finally had to tell them to stop looking for the car, look for a car with a life-sized doll in the back seat. Then after repairs they tried to add a charge of $22 claiming it was the tax not covered by CarShield. After I verified that CarShield covered the tax, they changed their story. I guess it was AutoShield that reviewed all of the claim and charges to sort out the charges presented. The Service Manager then claimed the charge was for shop supplies totaling $17.55, which they rounded up to $20 - no explanation. All along the way your representatives hung with me, going the extra mile to be sure I received the satisfaction I was promised.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

My wife's 2016 Chevy Suburban starting acting up this past Saturday evening. Check engine light came on and it was running very rough. We immediately took it to the dealer not far from home. Though they were closed we dropped our keys in the overnight box. Monday morning comes and I receive a call from my dealer, a bad ignition coil was the issue. I let the service manager know I have a contract with American Auto Shield. I have the contract number and claims number to the service department. They called me back 15 mins later saying it’s covered and its paid for!! (Well, minus my deductible!) My wife and I picked up her car by 9am this morning! American Auto Shield, thank you for doing such a great job today for me and my family!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

The representative really worked hard today to ensure that my claim went to the correct office. My vehicle has been in the auto shop since my claim filed on 6/23/2020 and I was given the incorrect email address several times before I reached the representative today. I sent my information 5 times to the email given to me on 7/10/2020 to find out today the person that gave me the email did not spell it out to me correctly. However, the emails I sent did show that it went through so I was unaware they never received my documents oil change.

She was very eager to get my claim to records department. The representative gave me her personal email address to ensure I was taken care of today. I am truly grateful. She was nice. I pray my vehicle will be fully covered leaving me the $100 deductible as promised. I have not received a rental and I did have to pay for my own tow. However, I was informed I would receive a refund for the two in June. I trust in God that my vehicle will be covered for repairs.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I called to get some basic information about my policy and spoke with an exceptional representative. I wish I was better at remembering names but she helped me by locating my policy and answered all my questions with compassion and eagerness. All of my many questions were answered and with one call I feel like I have all I need to be comfortable with moving forward in the claims process. She made sure to connect with me as opposed to just giving me what I called for. This is the kind of interaction that makes me feel like we made a good decision when purchasing this policy. What makes this even more impressive is this level of service and care came from someone I know is busy as it took several minutes of waiting for a call back.

Original review: April 13, 2021

My experience was excellent. Spoke to a well informed representative. Wish all representatives were so kind and well informed as she. I would give her 10 stars. Keep her in mind and take good care of her.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Excellent response. The Service Dept. at Bill Carone in Wallace, NC Suggested that they had problem reaching CarShield. I called and was given the direct number for claims. I called the service Dept.at Bill Carone - Wallace, NC and gave them the number and informed them that they need to call and give to Car Shield the Contract number and the repair that needed to be completed they told me it was the Transmission. Car Shield would rent me a vehicle to drive while they make repairs. Thank you Car Shield. Jeralene **.

Original review: April 12, 2021

It's a shame none of the work was covered by this package we bought. After all the hoops we are going to have to jump through in the coming months to find the ultimate problem (burning oil) we may end up paying for everything out-of-pocket anyway - makes us wonder why did we purchase this package????

Original review: April 10, 2021

Prompt service and attentive to my needs in a timely manner. Would recommend them to all friends and family. Asked for an extension and without hesitation was granted my wishes. Fast easy and very friendly customer service.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I was happy with the assistance I received. One thing I was not happy with is that, I guess, I am not eligible for the Platinum Plan and I am not sure why, That Plan will cover more on my vehicle than I have and I wondered why I cant have it or can I.

Quick and easy