Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided Vehicle Service Contracts offering superior coverage and a simplified claims process. AAS offers insured auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders.

American Auto Shield customers have access to 24/7 online support and claim filing. As an added level of security for their customers, AAS Vehicle Service Contracts are backed by A.M. Best Company 'A' rated insurers.

Vehicle Service Contract coverage from American Auto Shield helps customers avoid costly repairs and protects the value of their vehicles beyond what a manufacturer's warranty provides.

BOTTOM LINE

American Auto Shield’s coverage options will satisfy most needs. Although American Auto Shield only works through dealerships, their large number of plans and acceptance of high-mileage and older cars make them a good choice.

PROS

• Large number of plans available
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Monthly plans available

CONS

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Top American Auto Shield Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

They handled my claim as promised and followed through with me in a timely manner. It was a serious issue and a large claim. They paid it and even covered things I wasn’t sure they would without hassle. ... Thank you Auto Shield.

I was accepted and given a great deal on an extended warranty for my car. This completely made my day. I am going to recommend them to my friends and family. I don't have anxiety planning a trip to visit a friend of mine who lives 5 hours away from me.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

American Auto Shield plans

American Auto Shield offers four plans. The most comprehensive plans are the Diamond and Platinum plans. The Diamond plan is the most comprehensive plan that American Auto Shield offers.

The Platinum plan and Deluxe plan both have component coverage, but the Platinum plan has slightly more coverage. There are also optional customizable coverage packages that customers can tack on.

PlatinumDiamond
      Type of coverageComponentExclusionary
      Car age limit20 years9 years
      Mileage limit100,000 miles90,000 miles

American Auto Shield has two powertrain coverage plans: Powertrain and PT Gold. Powertrain is the more basic and affordable plan, while PT Gold offers more coverage.

PowertrainPT Gold
      Type of coveragePowertrainExpanded Powertrain
      Car age limit25 years25 years
      Mileage limit250,000 miles200,000 miles

American Auto Shield coverage

Customers can submit American Auto Shield claims online when their vehicle needs repairs. American Auto Shield service contracts are available for cars up to 25 years old. This is much older than most companies will cover. The mileage limit is 300,000 miles, which is also high. American Auto Shield offers 24/7 customer service, available both by phone and online chat.

Rental reimbursements are $40 a day for up to four days. That’s $160 in total. This is an average rental reimbursement policy. American Auto Shield offers towing coverage of up to $75 per occurrence. Most extended auto warranties, however, allow for complimentary towing with every plan.

Do we recommend American Auto Shield?

American Auto Shield might be a good extended auto warranty provider for you if you have an older car with high mileage. Their additional benefits leave something to be desired, but their wide array of coverage options mean most customers will be able to find an extended warranty that works for them. Plus, American Auto Shield is able to cover motorcycles and ATVs.

American Auto Shield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

The representative really worked hard today to ensure that my claim went to the correct office. My vehicle has been in the auto shop since my claim filed on 6/23/2020 and I was given the incorrect email address several times before I reached the representative today. I sent my information 5 times to the email given to me on 7/10/2020 to find out today the person that gave me the email did not spell it out to me correctly. However, the emails I sent did show that it went through so I was unaware they never received my documents oil change.

She was very eager to get my claim to records department. The representative gave me her personal email address to ensure I was taken care of today. I am truly grateful. She was nice. I pray my vehicle will be fully covered leaving me the $100 deductible as promised. I have not received a rental and I did have to pay for my own tow. However, I was informed I would receive a refund for the two in June. I trust in God that my vehicle will be covered for repairs.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I called to get some basic information about my policy and spoke with an exceptional representative. I wish I was better at remembering names but she helped me by locating my policy and answered all my questions with compassion and eagerness. All of my many questions were answered and with one call I feel like I have all I need to be comfortable with moving forward in the claims process. She made sure to connect with me as opposed to just giving me what I called for. This is the kind of interaction that makes me feel like we made a good decision when purchasing this policy. What makes this even more impressive is this level of service and care came from someone I know is busy as it took several minutes of waiting for a call back.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I don't usually leave reviews. However, today I was impressed with how well I was treated - not only because my claim was accepted. The rep, Kevin, was able to let me know the exact coverages of our agreement and was kind enough to call the repair shop and coordinate repairs. The shop owner, who had previously told me "these companies never cover anything..." commented how well he was treated by Kevin and he was impressed with the service supplied. If I could give six stars for the customer service, I would. When I signed up for this service, I was skeptical - now I'm a convert.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Vickie ** great to talk to. I have been paying $135 a month for a year now on a 03 Mercedes SL500. I have had it 3 times at a shop and have never had anything covered By Car Shield to date. I thought a tow was free the first time I needed but was quoted $85 to tow 10 miles so I had to use my AAA car for free towing. I asked if I needed different type coverage and she is investigating a Aluminum Electronics package since I just spent $3500 for a pre 100k mileage service. I have only driven the car about 600 miles in the last year. I will be driving in the spring and this car has a lot of hydraulics and module control units.

I want to know if I would be covered if anything comes up there since I know the engine and transmission are sound or the dealer would definitely have told me. She is checking on those ?s before I consider raising my monthly premium to make sure I am covered on all the electronics of the car. She stated I had free towing up to $75 but when I first called last year, as I said the woman told me $85 to tow! Without the expenses I questioned covered then so far I have spent $1350 and gotten nothing. She is actually making the difference to keep me from just cancelling all together. She stated I should not have been quoted a $85 charge to tow the car 10 miles, it should of been free with my policy. 1 star on previous customer service until Vickie got me to a 4 star today.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

When I got my contract from Auto Shield I thought better to have it than not and did not really expect to ever have to use it and within 3 months my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 had major transmission and rear end problems. Not sure yet what the problem is but when I called Auto Shield they were the most professional group and left me feeling good about my decision to have a contract with them. Everyone should get a contract with them and you will be satisfied believe me.

Dr. Thomas **, Ph.D

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My vehicle has been at Gunn Nissan in San Antonio since July 23rd, about when you began to have problems. We tried and tried to get my repairs approved, now, I think I might finally get my car fixed.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Just want your monthly payments. In case you need car repair you have to pay out of your pocket. I have Toyota 2017 and got water pump was making some sound and never got paid so I have to pay out of my pocket.

Original review: July 18, 2020

My experience on the phone was most pleasant and my representative was the best like my god and I would definitely recommend this auto warranty to my friends as well as family members. It just seems like you guys & girls have the people's best interest at heart. I am humble...

Original review: July 16, 2020

Repair of my Town & Country. Too long on hold to get auth. My car tied up a tech and bay for 7 hrs. The actual diagnosis took 15 mins and repair took less than 45 mins. The rest of the time was waiting for callbacks and waiting on hold for over 2 hrs.

Original review: July 13, 2020

The reputable transmission shop I took my truck to said that this company is not to be trusted, as he has had to deal with them in the past. My truck was in the shop for like 8 days and I barely heard a word from anyone. I'm the 3rd owner and I do not have all the records via a printed receipt and yet do not dispute that there has never been a transmission fluid change because it was not on the list of recommended maintenance. Also, why ask a guy at a transmission shop for my records and not ask me? And, my shop also said they they will send over a used controller and he doesn't recommend using a used controller, especially in a $60,000 Truck. Not to mention, the hours the shop and I have spent either on hold, or waiting for a call back. The average time to even hear a human voice is 45 mins to an hour.

American Auto Shield author review by Lauren Fix

This extended auto warranty company has coverage for cars, motorcycles, ATVs, dirt bikes and ride-share vehicles. The company only offers car warranties through select dealerships. It has warranty options for high-mileage and older cars as well as newer vehicles.

• Cost: American Auto Shield doesn’t provide costs on its website, but an average extended auto warranty in the U.S. is about $350 to $1,000 a year. Always compare prices before committing to an extended auto warranty.

• Plans: American Auto Shield has four plans with the following levels of coverage: powertrain, expanded powertrain, component and exclusionary. Ask about the Diamond plan if you’re interested in exclusionary coverage.

• Benefits: Rental reimbursements are $40 a day for up to four days. Towing coverage takes care of up to $75 in fees per tow.

• Standout feature: American Auto Shield has coverage for older cars, including those up to 25 years old. Cars can also have up to 300,000 miles on them. This is a rare find in the industry.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

American Auto Shield Company Information