Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About American Auto Shield

Since 2002, American Auto Shield (AAS) has provided vehicle service contracts with a simplified claims process. AAS offers auto, ATV, motorcycle and off-road motorcycle coverage for dealers, agents, direct marketers, membership organizations and lenders. It also provides access to 24/7 online support and claims filing.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Monthly plans available
    • Motorcycle/ATV coverage
    • Lenient age/mileage requirements
    • Large number of plans available

Cons

• Only sold through dealerships
    • Expensive towing fee

Bottom Line

American Auto Shield has coverage to satisfy most needs. Although it only works through dealerships, its large number of plans and acceptance of older and higher-mileage cars make it a good option.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

American Auto Shield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shield?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Very outstanding, dependable, trustworthy, honest business who can have someone get the car fixed in a matter of time. Not take such a long long time to get things done. Thank you. God bless. Have a great day.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I have had a very good experience with this coverage so far and I am impressed with the customer service and professionalism I have encountered while dealing with my truck breaking down. I would highly recommend this to anyone worried about facing a very costly repair in the future.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

For the most part this has been a frustrating experience. I have been trying to get a refund for towing services that was denied me on 7/21/2021. I was told by the roadside rep that my account wasn't active, however I confirmed through CarShield that my account was active during that time. And my account has remained active! Yet, I was originally denied my claim twice after resending the documentation at least three times. I was told that since my account was in "back out" status, my claim could not be processed. What I don't understand is why was my claim denied? I was behind two payments towards my account, but my account remained in active status.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Other shop owners and customers please email me your experience with AAS and I will get a class action lawsuit going and get this put on the news! ** American Auto Shield by definition are crooks. I own a auto repair shop in Utah and had settled on an amount that american auto shield would pay and an amount the customer was responsible for. This is the norm as we are a certified Repairpal shop and deal with a minimum of 20 warranty companies on a weekly basis. After completing the work and collecting payment from the customer we submitted for payment from American Auto shield and we noticed the payment was $1,400 less than what they originally agreed to pay out.

We have been battling with them non stop for a couple of months now and they still refuse to pay what they originally agreed upon blaming it on a clerical error on the adjusters part who is no longer on the case. I AM GOING TO MAKE YOU FAMOUS AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD. I have already contacted the BBB and the consumer protection agency. I also have a social media following of over 800,000 people on 2 different accounts and I am going to let them all know what kind of crooks you are so that no one else will get taken advantage of. This is more about the concept of keeping your word and being a reputable business than it is about the money. I don't care if I have to spend 10 times the amount owed to my business, you will pay one way or another.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

The water pump was coming from an Auto Zone place here in Tyler and it has taken 4 days and I still don't have my car, they said I might get it Monday or Tuesday of next week. And then, I am not able to get a rent a car. Wow, some kind of warranty.!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

To open the sliding door on my Honda Odyssey, you pullout on the handle. When I do that, It seems, at first, to have a motor that tries, but door doesn't open. Instead, it makes a loud cracking sound--holding back or balking--with sharp loud noises. And finally after about the third attempt, the door opens. Then, the phone message was cut off before finally finishing the call. I tried to call back several times but no answer. She had just told me to have my mechanic call back at this number to give the diagnostics: 800-531-1925. Then our conversation was cut off. So the next day I called back to be sure this was reported. And that person was caring and helpful, affirming that my mechanic should call the same number next Wednesday when he does the diagnostics. I am Carol ** at **.

Original review: July 29, 2021

This associate was the first to accurately communicate the standards by which you would determine the acceptability of an auto repair shop. Your initial sales associate wrongly stated it had to be an ASE facility. This led me on a wild goose chase and created delays in getting my vehicle back. I can't give you a fully accurate score on coverage because so far you haven't covered anything, and I stress about whether you will.

Original review: July 29, 2021

My first claim, they turned down and no one could explain why. Since I have 3 cars on this service, I called to cancel all 3. Needless to say the rep appeared so concern that she went out of her way to convince me to reconsider. She was very knowledgeable when answering my questions, which is important especially when explaining things somewhat unknown to the average person who just knows how to drive a car. This rep was great!

Original review: July 28, 2021

It was a wonderful experience and would recommend them to anyone else who has issues with their vehicle. The customer service is so good and resourceful with any questions that I had. They even helped me with dealership problems that I was having.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Engine failure. It’s been a nerve-racking three weeks. Between getting my car towed to the garage And the garage analyzing my engine Engine failure and Is replacing my engine extremely satisfied.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I called in an attempt to ensure that my claim will be covered. I have strong worries that you will make every effort to ultimately deny my claim, based on the experiences of my local Ford dealer. Their concern is based on doing business with you in the past. They say you waste their time with incessant calls and in essence "hide the ball" and use any reason to deny claims. They are very busy and can't waste time on 30 minute calls. I have had to contact other mechanics in an attempt to repair my vehicle and you can't provide me with criteria for determining their eligibility, further wasting time. Your agent was as helpful as she could be.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Engine breakdown engine block. Car Shield has help me through my hard times for last two weeks with the bad Engine keeping me updated with the Procedure and the shop working on the car progress.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Before you can register a vehicle in Utah it has to pass emissions, which it did with flying colors on July 7. On July 29 it was running rough so took it to Larry Miller Jeep in Provo UT. The service rep, Mason **, called me July 1 to report that cylinder #6 is bad. So he called CarShield that same day. Then I called CarShield last Friday July 9th. Mason hasn't heard from you. So I called again today. That's 3 times now...

Original review: July 16, 2021

I took my car to the Infiniti dealer. They found that my radiator was gone and had to be replaced. American Auto Shield didn't want to pay the dealers price for a radiator so they looked for one and took several days to find one and ship it to the dealer. I was without a car for OVER a WEEK due to their policies, and I was NEVER able to talk directly with the adjuster to voice my complaints about how poor their service was. The radiator came in bent. The dealership was able to repair the radiator enough to use it, but now I am worried that the radiator will break sooner than it should since a ben radiator was installed in my vehicle.

I PAY WAY TOO MUCH FOR THIS SERVICE for them to be cutting costs and having substandard parts installed in my car!! Understand this; American Auto Shield (AAS) will do EVERYTHING not to pay the cost of a claim. This isn't even the first time I have had a bad experience with them. DO NOT USE American Auto Shield!! Find a warranty company that cares more about their customers than American Auto Shield does!!

Original review: July 2, 2021

They had my car in the repair shop for over a month then they didn't want to pay for the labor for work they order. They also sent a defective part and charged me for the extra time for the rental car. Terrible service. Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 25, 2021

When I first got with this company they recommended the $99 a month policy since I had an older vehicle with a lot of miles but I purchased it in great condition. Anyway 3 months in I needed something changed and repaired but they said it wasn’t covered for that particular repair but I was paying the highest price they had recommended. So sadly I discontinued with the company. So just some advice, make sure you know what all is covered before committing.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I paid $4,300 for an aftermarket platinum car warranty for my vehicle. My car broke down yesterday and today I am told by the servicing company American Auto Shield that my claim is inactive because the adjuster wanted my mechanic to spend more time doing more diagnostics after they spent a good portion of the day doing so. American Auto Shield does not pay for diagnostic services. As a matter of fact, American Auto Shield adjuster basically told my mechanic (who has 3 mechanics and together they have 30 years experience) that he did not know what he was talking about. I have read my policy thoroughly and have been denied several benefits listed in that policy, ie. towing, rental, and diagnostic costs (you say it is covered for a covered claim, but American Auto Shield tells me it is not covered). I will never buy another product from you again. I will be sure to leave my honest review of your crooked company anywhere and everywhere possible.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I called American Shields customer service representative, and was so surprised if her professionalism. She was knowledgeable and she took care of my issues in a professional manner. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Original review: June 10, 2021

By the time you pay your monthly fee, any deductible, and the list of non-covered items, it's cheaper and wiser to plan ahead and save a little. My quote was outrageous! If you read through the exceptions clause, most common items are not covered.

Original review: May 17, 2021

The engine on my truck (ford diesel, 6.0) failed to start after the engine was warm. The cause was worn oil pump that did not provide engine oil pressure necessary to provide high pressure hydraulic oil to operate the injectors. Upon initial contact with an adjuster my mechanic was told that since the oil pump was in the timing cover it was not covered. **!

The main oil pump is in the engine front cover and is crankshaft driven. Wear of the oil pump and the aluminum housing it is in is a well known cause of problems on this engine. If the adjuster was not aware of the common failure he should have educated himself with a few simple online searches instead of denying coverage. In any case, the engine, including the oil pump is covered according to my contract so the adjuster has caused me additional delay in getting my vehicle running due to his (lack of knowledge) (inexperience) (just wanted to deny service) (inadequate training). ***take your pick*** I am giving this 2 stars due to the problems with the adjuster.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Car Shield is not a scam. They have assisted me and took care of my repairs with no issues or delays. My car is a 2012. They are highly very reliable. If you don't have Car Shield you'll be paying huge costs.

Original review: May 5, 2021

They're great.. Once diagnosis was spot on and approved vehicle was fixed in no time. Get you a warranty like mine... The Gold standard. Knew Bavarian vehicles were expensive. Auto Shield saved my life.

Original review: April 29, 2021

They charge a lot of money for not a lot of services to be covered. I think it’s a rip off and they charge $180 a month to not cover. When I call them customer service is shady at best and never answers unless they want a payment.

Original review: April 24, 2021

The first couple of times I spoke with your people, they were idiots, didn't have a clue what I was talking about and rude. The last girl was freaking awesome. You need to educate your employees that don't know what they are doing. This review is for the last interaction.

Original review: April 23, 2021

The service rep was very helpful with informing me about the wide variety of coverage my plan has to offer. Also was great with helping me understand the process of getting a claim started. I will definitely recommend Carshield to family and friends

Original review: April 23, 2021

My experience was great. They handle my claim in a speedy manner by calling the dealership and speaking with the technician about my claim. The technician call me with two hours and inform me that every was take and my repair will be done on tomorrow..

Original review: April 22, 2021

BRITTANY was outstanding today confirming what I need to do to resolve coverage issues I have with an ongoing air conditioner problem in my mom's Hyundai Sonata. I will be pursuing reimbursement for an AC that is not working but was serviced 4/7/21 and is no longer blowing any air. I appreciate her professionalism and patience today explaining things to me and reiterating the diagnostics protocol. I will accomplish everything her and Hanna advised about proper CarShield reimbursement for relevant a/c repair fees paid.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I called about the coverage on my 07 Chevy Silverado to find out if tire pressure censors and brake pads were included in my contract. Unfortunately, they were not, but both young ladies in your customer service department were very professional. They were courteous, patient and went out of way to make certain that I got the answers that I needed. They both did a great job at what I’m sure can be a difficult position when dealing with customers problems and demands. Keep up the good work and tell them Thank You.

Original review: April 20, 2021

My situation was handled quickly and decisively. My representative resolved my cash issue with extreme professionalism and concern. It was painless and was handled swiftly. Great job by team CarShield on my very first encounter. Outstanding in all regards????

Original review: April 20, 2021

If there's was an option to give zero stars, I would. On 3/2/21, my car was diagnosed with needing a transmission. I left the car at the shop and rented a car that day. It took this company until 4/6/21 to approve the repair. The repair facility has the parts to repair the transmission but this company chose to save money and order a used transmission with 55k miles of usage on it, My car has 83k miles. The repair facility's solution is only $700 more but less likely to fail. They also will not give any reimbursement toward the rental I paid $1600 for because their adjuster took 4 weeks to approve the repair. I pay $125 per month for their top tier coverage. Today is 4/20/21 and still do not have my car because the part that they ordered has not been delivered and I'm told that after 4/22/21 I will have to start paying for the rental.

American Auto Shield Company Information