3.1/5 (87 ratings)
Learn More

About First Extended Service Corporation

First Extended Service offers four auto warranty plans with coverage ranging from basic powertrain to exclusionary. First Extended Service has warranties offering up to 12 years or 200,000 miles of coverage. You can receive coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada. First Extended Service auto warranties are transferable.

Pros

• Available in every state and Canada
  • Long coverage options
  • Transferable plans

Cons

• Owner must cover maintenance

Bottom Line

First Extended Service has four plans with customizable term lengths. Consumer reviews are critical of the company’s claims process and customer service, but positive reviews argue the warranties are worth it.

Top First Extended Service Corporation Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Verified

In 2011, a fan blade broke. Took to dealer and warranty covered, no problem. Four days ago (2014), needed tire rod and sensors … when I spoke with a rep, he was patient, courteous...

Verified

.. I have worked with several after market warranty companies, and this one is very simple and straightforward. Easy to navigate, great customer service, quick turn around time. I...

What is First Extended Service?

First Extended Service is a car warranty company with four different vehicle service contract options. If your car has to undergo a repair for a component covered by your warranty, First Extended Service pays for the repair, minus a deductible. Typical deductibles range from $50 to $100.

First Extended Service cost

First Extended Service has no prices listed online. However, the average car warranty in the U.S. costs from $350 to $750 a year, so if you get a quote from First Extended Service, you can use this number as a benchmark. Compare First Extended Service’s Powertrain plan costs to the lower end of this average range and its Comprehensive plan costs to the higher end.

First Extended Service plans

First Extended Service has four car warranty plans. Certain details of the plans are customizable — you have some choice over the plan’s length of coverage and the deductible. The most basic plan is called Powertrain, while the Comprehensive plan offers the most coverage.

Powertrain plan
The Powertrain plan offers First Extended Service’s most basic coverage. It covers:
  • Special hybrid/electric vehicle components
  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Front-wheel drive
  • Rear-wheel drive
Base plan
The Base plan is a step up in coverage. It includes everything in the Powertrain plan plus:
  • Steering
  • Front and rear suspension
  • Brakes
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Electrical
  • Air conditioning
High-tech plan
The High-tech plan is the company’s second-most comprehensive plan. It covers everything in the Base plan plus:
  • Specific high-tech items, such as anti-lock brake systems and power seat motors
  • Miscellaneous items like heated back glass, radiator, radiator fan and fuel tank
Comprehensive plan
True to its name, the Comprehensive plan covers the most components of any First Extended Service car warranty. In addition to everything in the High-Tech plan, the Comprehensive plan covers:
  • Convenience items like cigarette lighters, auxiliary power points and glove box lamps
  • Entertainment systems
  • Safety and security systems
  • Additional miscellaneous items, such as outside mirror remote adjuster

First Extended Service coverage

To maintain coverage under First Extended Service, you must perform routine maintenance as outlined in the contract. This includes recurring tasks that First Extended Service isn’t responsible for, such as oil changes.

For repairs covered by your plan, it's fine if the dealer that sold you the vehicle cannot fix the problem. Your program administrator can make a payment to another car repair facility.

Some car warranty companies limit the number of covered repairs or how many claims can be made. With First Extended Service, there isn’t a limit. Every plan with First Extended Service is transferable, and it offers coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada.

First Extended Service benefits

First Extended Service car warranties come with benefits in addition to coverage for car part breakdowns. These benefits include:

• Rental reimbursement: If your car is in the shop and you need a rental, you can receive up to $35 a day for five days maximum.
  • Roadside assistance: Service is available for towing, flat tires, lockouts and dead batteries. You can also get roadside water, fluid, oil and fuel delivery. The company pays up to $100 for covered emergencies.
  • Travel interruption reimbursement: If a road trip is interrupted due to vehicle breakdown and you pay for unexpected food and lodging, First Extended Service can help. It provides up to $200 per day for five days to cover expenses. This only applies if you are 100 miles or more from home.

First Extended Service FAQ

What does First Extended Service cover?
First Extended Service coverage varies based on which of the four plans you choose. The most basic Powertrain plan covers just the engine, transmission, front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive system and special hybrid and electric vehicle components. The Comprehensive plan covers just about everything besides what car insurance covers.
Where is First Extended Service available?
First Extended Service has coverage across all 50 U.S. states and Canada.
Can I transfer ownership of my First Extended Service car warranty?
Yes. If you sell your vehicle, you can transfer the warranty to a new owner so it stays with the same car.

Do we recommend First Extended Service?

First Extended Service offers four tiers of coverage to fit the needs of vehicle owners, but consumer reviews mention trouble getting First Extended Service to cover claims. This gives us pause in recommending them. It’s best to compare rates from several car warranty companies and find one with more positive consumer reviews, especially regarding the claims process.

First Extended Service Corporation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service Corporation?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Original review: May 11, 2022

Having to take the the van to the dealership where it was purchased from was troublesome because they were 45 miles away and the suggested repair facility was around 45 miles away also. I had to tow it to the dealership and had to pay $175, I wasn't sure if towing was covered and I did not try to claim that. Can I?

First Extended Service Corporation response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We've sent a private message for help.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

This work was not done on my vehicle. The dealer mistakenly put work completed on my son's truck on my warranty. I contacted the dealer weeks ago about this but have not heard back. This needs to be corrected so my vehicle does not show warranty work that was not done. My son also has an extended warranty and work was completed on his vehicle.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are sorry to hear about this, Troy; but we're happy to look into your case. Please check the private message we've sent for help.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

First Extended was absolutely perfect! Customer service representatives were very helpful over the phone. The dealership Jeep Carl Burger Jeep Dodge and Ram, La Mesa was not very help and told me my issue was not covered under warranty, I had to call first extended myself. The dealership also took a couple weeks to submit the claim. And it just got fixed this week. Additionally, I came in for a separate issue and they still have not resolved my starting issue. But thank you and your staff for making the claim process effortless.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We're happy to be of assistance, Monica. In the event you still need help with your claim, please respond to the private message we've sent.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

My only disappointment is that I had to leave the car overnight (an extra day) because the dealer did not get the authorization on the day of the appointment. I left the car at the dealer at 8:40 a.m. the first day. I don't know if the delay was on the part of the Dealer or of Assurant. Otherwise, all repairs of my faulty AC system were completed. I'm so glad that I purchased this protection when I bought my new 2017 Honda CR-V!!

First Extended Service Corporation response

We're happy to see your issue was resolved, Cynthia! Thanks for sharing your feedback with us.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I was having a problem with my truck taking a long time to start. I took my truck to Red River Toyota in Wynne, Arkansas and they diagnosed my problem as an injector problem. They contacted you about coverage and you approved the repair. They replaced the injectors and the problem was corrected for a period of time. I started having the same problem again and I took the truck to Orr Toyota in Searcy, Arkansas where I had purchased the truck. They told me I needed a new battery and installed one. They also replaced a filter above the fuel tank because I could not fill my truck with fuel without only adding a very little amount of fuel over a very long period of time.

That fixed the fuel filling problem but did not correct the starting problem, so rather than take it back to them again, I took it back to Red River in Wynne. The mechanic that had replaced the injectors before said that he was seeing the same problem with other customers that were farmers and were in muddy conditions often. He had replace the injectors in one of my farm neighbors Tundra three times. He suggested moving the filter from the rear of the truck to the front under the hood so it could be cleaned or replaced easily. I am going to take my truck back to Red River Toyota in Wynne as soon as I can to have the injectors and the fuel pump replaced and the filter moved to the front of the truck if that does not effect the warranty.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Mike, happy to hear the coverage assisted you with the repair. We sent you a private message with further details.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I was very unhappy with the warranty service. I had to call MULTIPLE times to try to get my vehicle fixed. Would wait weeks for responses. Just unhappy. The fact that my seat warmer burned me and made a hole in the seat and you guys did not seem to care. You originally told me I would not be getting my seat fixed but after looking over everything I fought for you guys to fix it and it still took me about 2 weeks to hear from you guys if it was going to get fixed.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We apologize for the issue you faced and the delay with your claim. In the event you still need help, please send us a private message.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I needed a new water pump and transmission. Thankfully I had extended warranty and most of my bill was covered. It took quite awhile to get all the work done due to parts and personnel shortages but all is good now,

First Extended Service Corporation response

Happy we were able to help. Thank you for the review!

Original review: May 19, 2022

Thank you for always taking care of us and our vehicles. We always expect the best with your warranty service as we have always had good experiences with you. Keep up the honest work. It is why our family has bought 5 vehicles from Kark **.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Thanks for sharing your feedback! We always strive to make every experience as awesome as yours.

Original review: May 19, 2022

All defective steering components were replaced by James dealership in a timely fashion. I am very satisfied. The dealership found more than was first thought to be wrong and got further approvals from your company. The bill almost exceeded the cost of the warranty.

First Extended Service Corporation response

It is great to hear that your vehicle issues were taken care of so quickly and satisfactory! Thank you for taking the time to share this experience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 19, 2022

Transmission went out in 2017 GMC which was diagnosed by a reputable transmission shop. Sent claim to company along with documentation showing trans. maintenance record. Was denied because their inspector said front wheels were somewhat out of alignment and suspension issue. There was nothing when driving truck to indicate any problems with front end nor would it cause a transmission to go out.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are sorry to hear about this. Please review the private message we sent requesting additional information.

First Extended Service Corporation Company Information