3.5/5 (145 ratings)
Learn More

About First Extended Service Corporation

First Extended Service offers four auto warranty plans with coverage ranging from basic powertrain to exclusionary. First Extended Service has warranties offering up to 12 years or 200,000 miles of coverage. You can receive coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada. First Extended Service auto warranties are transferable.

Pros

• Available in every state and Canada
  • Long coverage options
  • Transferable plans

Cons

• Owner must cover maintenance

Bottom Line

First Extended Service has four plans with customizable term lengths. Consumer reviews are critical of the company’s claims process and customer service, but positive reviews argue the warranties are worth it.

Top First Extended Service Corporation Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Verified

In 2011, a fan blade broke. Took to dealer and warranty covered, no problem. Four days ago (2014), needed tire rod and sensors … when I spoke with a rep, he was patient, courteous...

Verified

.. I have worked with several after market warranty companies, and this one is very simple and straightforward. Easy to navigate, great customer service, quick turn around time. I...

What is First Extended Service?

First Extended Service is a car warranty company with four different vehicle service contract options. If your car has to undergo a repair for a component covered by your warranty, First Extended Service pays for the repair, minus a deductible. Typical deductibles range from $50 to $100.

First Extended Service cost

First Extended Service has no prices listed online. However, the average car warranty in the U.S. costs from $350 to $750 a year, so if you get a quote from First Extended Service, you can use this number as a benchmark. Compare First Extended Service’s Powertrain plan costs to the lower end of this average range and its Comprehensive plan costs to the higher end.

First Extended Service plans

First Extended Service has four car warranty plans. Certain details of the plans are customizable — you have some choice over the plan’s length of coverage and the deductible. The most basic plan is called Powertrain, while the Comprehensive plan offers the most coverage.

Powertrain plan
The Powertrain plan offers First Extended Service’s most basic coverage. It covers:
  • Special hybrid/electric vehicle components
  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Front-wheel drive
  • Rear-wheel drive
Base plan
The Base plan is a step up in coverage. It includes everything in the Powertrain plan plus:
  • Steering
  • Front and rear suspension
  • Brakes
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Electrical
  • Air conditioning
High-tech plan
The High-tech plan is the company’s second-most comprehensive plan. It covers everything in the Base plan plus:
  • Specific high-tech items, such as anti-lock brake systems and power seat motors
  • Miscellaneous items like heated back glass, radiator, radiator fan and fuel tank
Comprehensive plan
True to its name, the Comprehensive plan covers the most components of any First Extended Service car warranty. In addition to everything in the High-Tech plan, the Comprehensive plan covers:
  • Convenience items like cigarette lighters, auxiliary power points and glove box lamps
  • Entertainment systems
  • Safety and security systems
  • Additional miscellaneous items, such as outside mirror remote adjuster

First Extended Service coverage

To maintain coverage under First Extended Service, you must perform routine maintenance as outlined in the contract. This includes recurring tasks that First Extended Service isn’t responsible for, such as oil changes.

For repairs covered by your plan, it's fine if the dealer that sold you the vehicle cannot fix the problem. Your program administrator can make a payment to another car repair facility.

Some car warranty companies limit the number of covered repairs or how many claims can be made. With First Extended Service, there isn’t a limit. Every plan with First Extended Service is transferable, and it offers coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada.

First Extended Service benefits

First Extended Service car warranties come with benefits in addition to coverage for car part breakdowns. These benefits include:

• Rental reimbursement: If your car is in the shop and you need a rental, you can receive up to $35 a day for five days maximum.
  • Roadside assistance: Service is available for towing, flat tires, lockouts and dead batteries. You can also get roadside water, fluid, oil and fuel delivery. The company pays up to $100 for covered emergencies.
  • Travel interruption reimbursement: If a road trip is interrupted due to vehicle breakdown and you pay for unexpected food and lodging, First Extended Service can help. It provides up to $200 per day for five days to cover expenses. This only applies if you are 100 miles or more from home.

First Extended Service FAQ

What does First Extended Service cover?
First Extended Service coverage varies based on which of the four plans you choose. The most basic Powertrain plan covers just the engine, transmission, front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive system and special hybrid and electric vehicle components. The Comprehensive plan covers just about everything besides what car insurance covers.
Where is First Extended Service available?
First Extended Service has coverage across all 50 U.S. states and Canada.
Can I transfer ownership of my First Extended Service car warranty?
Yes. If you sell your vehicle, you can transfer the warranty to a new owner so it stays with the same car.

Do we recommend First Extended Service?

First Extended Service offers four tiers of coverage to fit the needs of vehicle owners, but consumer reviews mention trouble getting First Extended Service to cover claims. This gives us pause in recommending them. It’s best to compare rates from several car warranty companies and find one with more positive consumer reviews, especially regarding the claims process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service Corporation?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I’m not sure if it took Dons Wholesale a while to diagnose my truck or if it took warranty a while to complete the claim. But overall it took almost 3 weeks to get my truck back. Either way, it was worth the wait. Y’all completely replaced my transmission and torque converter along with my front wheel bearings. My truck rides and drives seamlessly now. I couldn’t be happier. Thank you so much, I’ve only had the truck 6 months, and when the transmission started giving me problems I was very worried that I had made a mistake buying that truck. But with the repairs y’all approved, I am much more confident in my purchase. Most places would have only approved a repair. When I was told y’all completely replaced the transmission with a new one I was ecstatic! Thank you so much! And I will make sure to ask for y’all as my warranty company in the future on any vehicle purchases I make! I’m very satisfied with y’all and your service to us as customers!!!

First Extended Service Corporation response

Happy to hear you had an amazing experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2022

The bad news first, when I showed the problem to the dealer they were sure the claim would be approved but when they submitted it, it was denied by Assurant. The good news - I have an excellent dealer and their service department did not accept the denial and appealed the decision and got Assurant to honor the warranty and my car was fixed. So like I said, I really appreciate the fact that the warranty was honored but I’m miffed that my dealership had to argue with Assurant to get them to give us what we paid them for - insurance.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are happy to hear about this outcome. If there is something we can assist you with, please reach out through private message with your VIN.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Assurant did very well as far as handling the claim. The only negative thing about the whole process was with the dealership. As I was checking in, the service advisor (SA) told me that the issue was not covered by my car warranty since it had expired and that I would probably have to pay for the repair. Nothing was mentioned about my contract with Assurant. This is obviously an issue with the dealership.

After the work was finished, I was told the cost. I then pulled out a copy of the contract and showed it to the SA. Her eyes widened, then she turned to another SA (apparently the lead) and said "He has an extended warranty." The lead said that she would have to file a claim to first get it approved. After a few seconds of no conversation and staring at each other, I then asked "So what do we do now?" It was awkward. It all worked out thanks to Assurant. I was able to leave the dealership without waiting any longer. The dealership called me the next day to tell me the claim had been approved and all I needed to do was pay the deductible, which I was happy to do.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We're glad we could help with your vehicle issue. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

This work was not done on my vehicle. The dealer mistakenly put work completed on my son's truck on my warranty. I contacted the dealer weeks ago about this but have not heard back. This needs to be corrected so my vehicle does not show warranty work that was not done. My son also has an extended warranty and work was completed on his vehicle.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are sorry to hear about this, Troy; but we're happy to look into your case. Please check the private message we've sent for help.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I was having a problem with my truck taking a long time to start. I took my truck to Red River Toyota in Wynne, Arkansas and they diagnosed my problem as an injector problem. They contacted you about coverage and you approved the repair. They replaced the injectors and the problem was corrected for a period of time. I started having the same problem again and I took the truck to Orr Toyota in Searcy, Arkansas where I had purchased the truck. They told me I needed a new battery and installed one. They also replaced a filter above the fuel tank because I could not fill my truck with fuel without only adding a very little amount of fuel over a very long period of time.

That fixed the fuel filling problem but did not correct the starting problem, so rather than take it back to them again, I took it back to Red River in Wynne. The mechanic that had replaced the injectors before said that he was seeing the same problem with other customers that were farmers and were in muddy conditions often. He had replace the injectors in one of my farm neighbors Tundra three times. He suggested moving the filter from the rear of the truck to the front under the hood so it could be cleaned or replaced easily. I am going to take my truck back to Red River Toyota in Wynne as soon as I can to have the injectors and the fuel pump replaced and the filter moved to the front of the truck if that does not effect the warranty.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Mike, happy to hear the coverage assisted you with the repair. We sent you a private message with further details.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I had the car in a repair shop in Dallas for over 4 months, nothing was getting done. I rented a trailer and took it to Dodge of Midland and it was fixed in less than a week. Great service, great people, great environment!

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are happy to hear that your repairs were able to get taken care of! Thank you for sharing.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

When I would put the car in Park. An error would show on the console as "Shift to Park". I would turn the car on and off and put the car in Park until the error would no longer show on the console. Family Motors Bakersfield. CA fixed the issue and I feel safe and secure while driving my 2017 Chevrolet Malibu.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are happy you are pleased with the results!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Vehicle was taken into shop due to no cooling when the a/c was turned on. My Honda only had 27,717 miles and they found that the front seal compressor was leaking & had saturated both the clutch and coil which resulted in the replacement of the assembly. I was very glad to have this extended warranty agreement but upset that something so major occurred so early in our ownership of the vehicle.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are happy that we were able to be there when you needed it. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the experience.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Really only. Hold up has been supply chain issues ordering needed parts- which has nothing to do with warranty service; really nice to view progress online; happy with the service that I received from Assurant and the updates from them after registering online.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Happy we were able to help. Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Had no problem with my warranty but the issue lied with Stuckey GMC not fixing properly several times and the issue returned!! Seems to be fixed after my most recent repair... but we shall see I will go back there for the same issue... but anything new I think I will seek a new repair service.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are happy to hear that you had no issues with your warranty and that the dealership was able to finally take care of the repairs. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

First Extended Service Corporation Company Information