Learn More

1.7/5 (113 ratings)
Learn More

About First Extended Service Corporation

First Extended Service offers four auto warranty plans with coverage ranging from basic powertrain to exclusionary. First Extended Service has warranties offering up to 12 years or 200,000 miles of coverage. You can receive coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada. First Extended Service auto warranties are transferable.

Pros

• Available in every state and Canada
  • Long coverage options
  • Transferable plans

Cons

• Owner must cover maintenance

Bottom Line

First Extended Service has four plans with customizable term lengths. Consumer reviews are critical of the company’s claims process and customer service, but positive reviews argue the warranties are worth it.

Top First Extended Service Corporation Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Verified

In 2011, a fan blade broke. Took to dealer and warranty covered, no problem. Four days ago (2014), needed tire rod and sensors … when I spoke with a rep, he was patient, courteous...

Verified

.. I have worked with several after market warranty companies, and this one is very simple and straightforward. Easy to navigate, great customer service, quick turn around time. I...

What is First Extended Service?

First Extended Service is a car warranty company with four different vehicle service contract options. If your car has to undergo a repair for a component covered by your warranty, First Extended Service pays for the repair, minus a deductible. Typical deductibles range from $50 to $100.

First Extended Service cost

First Extended Service has no prices listed online. However, the average car warranty in the U.S. costs from $350 to $750 a year, so if you get a quote from First Extended Service, you can use this number as a benchmark. Compare First Extended Service’s Powertrain plan costs to the lower end of this average range and its Comprehensive plan costs to the higher end.

First Extended Service plans

First Extended Service has four car warranty plans. Certain details of the plans are customizable — you have some choice over the plan’s length of coverage and the deductible. The most basic plan is called Powertrain, while the Comprehensive plan offers the most coverage.

Powertrain plan
The Powertrain plan offers First Extended Service’s most basic coverage. It covers:
  • Special hybrid/electric vehicle components
  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Front-wheel drive
  • Rear-wheel drive
Base plan
The Base plan is a step up in coverage. It includes everything in the Powertrain plan plus:
  • Steering
  • Front and rear suspension
  • Brakes
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Electrical
  • Air conditioning
High-tech plan
The High-tech plan is the company’s second-most comprehensive plan. It covers everything in the Base plan plus:
  • Specific high-tech items, such as anti-lock brake systems and power seat motors
  • Miscellaneous items like heated back glass, radiator, radiator fan and fuel tank
Comprehensive plan
True to its name, the Comprehensive plan covers the most components of any First Extended Service car warranty. In addition to everything in the High-Tech plan, the Comprehensive plan covers:
  • Convenience items like cigarette lighters, auxiliary power points and glove box lamps
  • Entertainment systems
  • Safety and security systems
  • Additional miscellaneous items, such as outside mirror remote adjuster

First Extended Service coverage

To maintain coverage under First Extended Service, you must perform routine maintenance as outlined in the contract. This includes recurring tasks that First Extended Service isn’t responsible for, such as oil changes.

For repairs covered by your plan, it's fine if the dealer that sold you the vehicle cannot fix the problem. Your program administrator can make a payment to another car repair facility.

Some car warranty companies limit the number of covered repairs or how many claims can be made. With First Extended Service, there isn’t a limit. Every plan with First Extended Service is transferable, and it offers coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada.

First Extended Service benefits

First Extended Service car warranties come with benefits in addition to coverage for car part breakdowns. These benefits include:

• Rental reimbursement: If your car is in the shop and you need a rental, you can receive up to $35 a day for five days maximum.
  • Roadside assistance: Service is available for towing, flat tires, lockouts and dead batteries. You can also get roadside water, fluid, oil and fuel delivery. The company pays up to $100 for covered emergencies.
  • Travel interruption reimbursement: If a road trip is interrupted due to vehicle breakdown and you pay for unexpected food and lodging, First Extended Service can help. It provides up to $200 per day for five days to cover expenses. This only applies if you are 100 miles or more from home.

First Extended Service FAQ

What does First Extended Service cover?
First Extended Service coverage varies based on which of the four plans you choose. The most basic Powertrain plan covers just the engine, transmission, front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive system and special hybrid and electric vehicle components. The Comprehensive plan covers just about everything besides what car insurance covers.
Where is First Extended Service available?
First Extended Service has coverage across all 50 U.S. states and Canada.
Can I transfer ownership of my First Extended Service car warranty?
Yes. If you sell your vehicle, you can transfer the warranty to a new owner so it stays with the same car.

Do we recommend First Extended Service?

First Extended Service offers four tiers of coverage to fit the needs of vehicle owners, but consumer reviews mention trouble getting First Extended Service to cover claims. This gives us pause in recommending them. It’s best to compare rates from several car warranty companies and find one with more positive consumer reviews, especially regarding the claims process.

First Extended Service Corporation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service Corporation?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

While on vacation and far from home, the toilet in my 5th wheel trailer broke. The foot pedal snapped off which left the water running non stop and kept the valve open. Called Sierra RV to take care of the repair. They asked (actually reminded me) if I had an extended warranty. Handled contacting the warranty company and then were out to the RV park within a couple of hours to replace the toilet. Could not ask for better service.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We're so happy to hear you had a great experience. Thank you for the review.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

My only disappointment is that I had to leave the car overnight (an extra day) because the dealer did not get the authorization on the day of the appointment. I left the car at the dealer at 8:40 a.m. the first day. I don't know if the delay was on the part of the Dealer or of Assurant. Otherwise, all repairs of my faulty AC system were completed. I'm so glad that I purchased this protection when I bought my new 2017 Honda CR-V!!

First Extended Service Corporation response

We're happy to see your issue was resolved, Cynthia! Thanks for sharing your feedback with us.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I was having a problem with my truck taking a long time to start. I took my truck to Red River Toyota in Wynne, Arkansas and they diagnosed my problem as an injector problem. They contacted you about coverage and you approved the repair. They replaced the injectors and the problem was corrected for a period of time. I started having the same problem again and I took the truck to Orr Toyota in Searcy, Arkansas where I had purchased the truck. They told me I needed a new battery and installed one. They also replaced a filter above the fuel tank because I could not fill my truck with fuel without only adding a very little amount of fuel over a very long period of time.

That fixed the fuel filling problem but did not correct the starting problem, so rather than take it back to them again, I took it back to Red River in Wynne. The mechanic that had replaced the injectors before said that he was seeing the same problem with other customers that were farmers and were in muddy conditions often. He had replace the injectors in one of my farm neighbors Tundra three times. He suggested moving the filter from the rear of the truck to the front under the hood so it could be cleaned or replaced easily. I am going to take my truck back to Red River Toyota in Wynne as soon as I can to have the injectors and the fuel pump replaced and the filter moved to the front of the truck if that does not effect the warranty.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Mike, happy to hear the coverage assisted you with the repair. We sent you a private message with further details.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I was surprised at the overall lack of hassle involved in the process. The time it took to get the claim approved was definitely a pleasant surprise. This warranty cost slightly more than most other warranties I have had, but so far it seems it will be worth every penny I paid. Thanks for the great service.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Darrell, we are happy to hear you had an awesome experience. Thank you for the feedback.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

My Transmission went on on my 2016 Buick Enclave that had 76,000 miles on it. They Towed it from Tupelo to New Albany for me to the Chevrolet store and put a transmission in it for me and the brought it back to Tupelo for me. Simple easy process. Thank you Barnes Crossing Auto Group!

First Extended Service Corporation response

Kevin, happy to hear you had a great and simple process. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I took My Truck into the dealer where I purchased it, After diagnosing the problem, my truck will need a new engine. The dealer told me that a claim was filed & a maintenance log was needed to review. The dealer sent that upon request. This was started on October 12. After talking to the dealer on 10-19-21, they suggested that I try to contact First extended service corporation to see if I could get them to approve the claim. After calling them every day. After talking to customer service, they said it can take 24-48 hours to be approved. it is now October 21, so it has been 7 business days. I am paying for a vehicle that I am unable to drive! Not to mention, I will have to pay a deductible when I pick it up after service is complete. I just don't understand what the major hold up is and why no one will get back to you? I hate to come on here and complain but this may be the only way to help this get resolved.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We're so sorry to hear this, Gary. Please check your private messages, as we'd like to acquire further details.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I brought auto in almost a month ago to have them order a part under warranty that makes the door code work. Have not heard a word. Also called number I was given to file a chip in front glass. Have not heard a word. Not very impressed with Ford customer service on warranty work! I think the claim number is correct. It would not copy.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Our apologies for the issue you're facing, Kathy, but we're happy to help. For assistance, please refer to the private message we've sent.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Dissatisfied my vehicle is still in the shop as I speak after getting a engine replacement took a whole month then the part that was replace is defective. Now I been waiting 2 1/2 for more work to be done. Horrible service.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Our apologies for the delay, Katherine. For further assistance, please refer to the private message we've sent.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

The entire experience was timely and well-structured; special thanks to Deborah ** in Service who ably facilitated the entire process. There was no difficulty whatsoever with the repair facility or the claims process. I would not hesitate to recommend either in the future.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Thanks for sharing your review with us, Richard! We're happy to hear we could be of assistance.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My experience was very overwhelmed, emotional and concerning. On 8/26/2021 I was told my car had to be towed to the location I bought my car. Which is the Hornell location. The next morning I got a call saying my car can not be worked on at that location. That it will need to be towed to the Big flats location but would not be towed until Monday 4 days after my car was towed there. Then I was told I could not get a loaner until the diagnosis it but instead of the hornell location doing that so my claim could at least be open so I would have a car they made me wait. After my car finally got to the big flats location, after it's been just sitting at the Cornell location. The Big flats location still made me wait 3 more daysl! Knowing I had no car for a whole week now and I could not open the claim until they did the test! I feel My contract was dishonored due to not have a loaner car for more than half of the time my car was in the shop.

Almost 2 weeks I went without any vehicle even after it was finally diagnosed. It clearly states in my warranty that I would have a loan car in these situations. Then I finally get a car through a rent place. I had the rental car for 15 days! I had to pay 255 out of pocket after what the warranty did cover. Even though if I would have been given a car from Simmons Rockwelll either in Hornell, bath big flats and so on I would not have had to pay that. Most importantly several time I would call I would either be hung up on, told they don't know how to access the account, that the person who does is not working today, there's nothing they can do to help me, they don't know what to do. That I will have to call another day or not answer my questions then just stopped answering my calls. I had to go as far as calling the sales person and the financial support team to get any help!

Then the service department kept trying to tell me that my car needed a new battery. I had to keep explaining to the "Car Experts" the ones that my car's hands are in that the reason the battery is not running properly right now is because of the serpentine belt, the whole reason the car is even there the belt is broke in half! That belt controls the power steering alternator water pump ac and the battery! The battery can not hold a charge without that belt being on. That they needed to Put the belt on then it will work just fine. I received 3 different calls from the same person saying that the battery needed to be replaced but not once did they listen to what I was trying to say! Finally when they put the belt on after 3 days of trying to force me to replaced the battery for extra $250. The battery was worked just fine.

This made me feel uneasy as they seemed not to know what they are doing. Very unexperienced. But then they forced me to pay for the time they wasted messing with the battery that was perfectly fine to begin with and a job that should have taken 15 mins to put a new belt on turned into a 1hour and 1/2. A job that I was told from the beginning before I even called for the tow I was COMPLETELY COVERED FOR ENDED UP COSTING ME!!! After a little over 3 weeks I finally got my car back!!! If I was not misleaded about the repair for the belt being completely covered, if I was told it was not going to be covered I would have not taken there!!! If I was told I was not going to get a loaner car I would have gone somewhere elsewhere! If I was told a job that takes 15 mins would have taken 3 weeks I would have went elsewhere! I would have taken anywhere else and I would have had my car back the same day or the next! I would not have had to pay for non experienced people who do not know what the belt control wasting more of my time.

I would have NEVER bought the extended warranty if I would have known all of the misleading information and the fact that my contract would be dishonored! I feel very wronged!! A extended warranty that coast 5000 should not be sold to people when it's not going to be covered by the seller. I paid for my car and the warranty in full That same day for something like this to happen is unforgettable!

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are so sorry to see you faced these obstacles, Kailey. If you still need assistance or would like to discuss this with someone, please check the private message we've sent.

First Extended Service Corporation Company Information