3.5/5 (174 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

About First Extended Service Corporation

First Extended Service offers four auto warranty plans with coverage ranging from basic powertrain to exclusionary. First Extended Service has warranties offering up to 12 years or 200,000 miles of coverage. You can receive coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada. First Extended Service auto warranties are transferable.

Find Extended Auto Warranties near you

Pros

• Available in every state and Canada
    • Long coverage options
    • Transferable plans

Cons

• Owner must cover maintenance

Bottom Line

First Extended Service has four plans with customizable term lengths. Consumer reviews are critical of the company’s claims process and customer service, but positive reviews argue the warranties are worth it.

Top First Extended Service Corporation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Verified

In 2011, a fan blade broke. Took to dealer and warranty covered, no problem. Four days ago (2014), needed tire rod and sensors … when I spoke with a rep, he was patient, courteous...

Verified

.. I have worked with several after market warranty companies, and this one is very simple and straightforward. Easy to navigate, great customer service, quick turn around time. I...

What is First Extended Service?

First Extended Service is a car warranty company with four different vehicle service contract options. If your car has to undergo a repair for a component covered by your warranty, First Extended Service pays for the repair, minus a deductible. Typical deductibles range from $50 to $100.

First Extended Service cost

First Extended Service has no prices listed online. However, the average car warranty in the U.S. costs from $350 to $750 a year, so if you get a quote from First Extended Service, you can use this number as a benchmark. Compare First Extended Service’s Powertrain plan costs to the lower end of this average range and its Comprehensive plan costs to the higher end.

First Extended Service plans

First Extended Service has four car warranty plans. Certain details of the plans are customizable — you have some choice over the plan’s length of coverage and the deductible. The most basic plan is called Powertrain, while the Comprehensive plan offers the most coverage.

Powertrain plan
    The Powertrain plan offers First Extended Service’s most basic coverage. It covers:
    • Special hybrid/electric vehicle components
    • Engine
    • Transmission
    • Front-wheel drive
    • Rear-wheel drive
    Base plan
    The Base plan is a step up in coverage. It includes everything in the Powertrain plan plus:
    • Steering
    • Front and rear suspension
    • Brakes
    • Seals and gaskets
    • Electrical
    • Air conditioning
    High-tech plan
    The High-tech plan is the company’s second-most comprehensive plan. It covers everything in the Base plan plus:
    • Specific high-tech items, such as anti-lock brake systems and power seat motors
    • Miscellaneous items like heated back glass, radiator, radiator fan and fuel tank
    Comprehensive plan
    True to its name, the Comprehensive plan covers the most components of any First Extended Service car warranty. In addition to everything in the High-Tech plan, the Comprehensive plan covers:
    • Convenience items like cigarette lighters, auxiliary power points and glove box lamps
    • Entertainment systems
    • Safety and security systems
    • Additional miscellaneous items, such as outside mirror remote adjuster

First Extended Service coverage

To maintain coverage under First Extended Service, you must perform routine maintenance as outlined in the contract. This includes recurring tasks that First Extended Service isn’t responsible for, such as oil changes.

For repairs covered by your plan, it's fine if the dealer that sold you the vehicle cannot fix the problem. Your program administrator can make a payment to another car repair facility.

Some car warranty companies limit the number of covered repairs or how many claims can be made. With First Extended Service, there isn’t a limit. Every plan with First Extended Service is transferable, and it offers coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada.

First Extended Service benefits

First Extended Service car warranties come with benefits in addition to coverage for car part breakdowns. These benefits include:

• Rental reimbursement: If your car is in the shop and you need a rental, you can receive up to $35 a day for five days maximum.
    • Roadside assistance: Service is available for towing, flat tires, lockouts and dead batteries. You can also get roadside water, fluid, oil and fuel delivery. The company pays up to $100 for covered emergencies.
    • Travel interruption reimbursement: If a road trip is interrupted due to vehicle breakdown and you pay for unexpected food and lodging, First Extended Service can help. It provides up to $200 per day for five days to cover expenses. This only applies if you are 100 miles or more from home.

First Extended Service FAQ

What does First Extended Service cover?
    First Extended Service coverage varies based on which of the four plans you choose. The most basic Powertrain plan covers just the engine, transmission, front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive system and special hybrid and electric vehicle components. The Comprehensive plan covers just about everything besides what car insurance covers.
    Where is First Extended Service available?
    First Extended Service has coverage across all 50 U.S. states and Canada.
    Can I transfer ownership of my First Extended Service car warranty?
    Yes. If you sell your vehicle, you can transfer the warranty to a new owner so it stays with the same car.

Do we recommend First Extended Service?

First Extended Service offers four tiers of coverage to fit the needs of vehicle owners, but consumer reviews mention trouble getting First Extended Service to cover claims. This gives us pause in recommending them. It’s best to compare rates from several car warranty companies and find one with more positive consumer reviews, especially regarding the claims process.

First Extended Service Corporation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

The service department at Bournes Auto was amazing. They took care of the repair I brought my car in for and fix an issue I wasn't aware of. Jeff the service manager was great, some of the work need was still covered under the manufacturer's warranty, he offered to schedule the appointment and get the vehicle to Jeep for me.

My only issue with the service was related to the service contract. The contract requires I bring the vehicle to the shop it was purchased at because it's within the specified distance. While I was more than happy with the service department, the first appointment they had was two weeks out and my vehicle wasn't running. Going two weeks without a vehicle was a huge inconvenience and could have been avoided if the service contract didn't limit the ability to bring it to another repair shop.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are happy to hear that your vehicle was able to be repaired. Thank you for sharing this feedback regarding your experience and your concerns with the service contract.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I’m not sure if it took Dons Wholesale a while to diagnose my truck or if it took warranty a while to complete the claim. But overall it took almost 3 weeks to get my truck back. Either way, it was worth the wait. Y’all completely replaced my transmission and torque converter along with my front wheel bearings. My truck rides and drives seamlessly now. I couldn’t be happier. Thank you so much, I’ve only had the truck 6 months, and when the transmission started giving me problems I was very worried that I had made a mistake buying that truck. But with the repairs y’all approved, I am much more confident in my purchase. Most places would have only approved a repair. When I was told y’all completely replaced the transmission with a new one I was ecstatic! Thank you so much! And I will make sure to ask for y’all as my warranty company in the future on any vehicle purchases I make! I’m very satisfied with y’all and your service to us as customers!!!

First Extended Service Corporation response

Happy to hear you had an amazing experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

Original review: July 16, 2022

The bad news first, when I showed the problem to the dealer they were sure the claim would be approved but when they submitted it, it was denied by Assurant. The good news - I have an excellent dealer and their service department did not accept the denial and appealed the decision and got Assurant to honor the warranty and my car was fixed. So like I said, I really appreciate the fact that the warranty was honored but I’m miffed that my dealership had to argue with Assurant to get them to give us what we paid them for - insurance.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are happy to hear about this outcome. If there is something we can assist you with, please reach out through private message with your VIN.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Assurant did very well as far as handling the claim. The only negative thing about the whole process was with the dealership. As I was checking in, the service advisor (SA) told me that the issue was not covered by my car warranty since it had expired and that I would probably have to pay for the repair. Nothing was mentioned about my contract with Assurant. This is obviously an issue with the dealership.

After the work was finished, I was told the cost. I then pulled out a copy of the contract and showed it to the SA. Her eyes widened, then she turned to another SA (apparently the lead) and said "He has an extended warranty." The lead said that she would have to file a claim to first get it approved. After a few seconds of no conversation and staring at each other, I then asked "So what do we do now?" It was awkward. It all worked out thanks to Assurant. I was able to leave the dealership without waiting any longer. The dealership called me the next day to tell me the claim had been approved and all I needed to do was pay the deductible, which I was happy to do.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We're glad we could help with your vehicle issue. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

This work was not done on my vehicle. The dealer mistakenly put work completed on my son's truck on my warranty. I contacted the dealer weeks ago about this but have not heard back. This needs to be corrected so my vehicle does not show warranty work that was not done. My son also has an extended warranty and work was completed on his vehicle.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are sorry to hear about this, Troy; but we're happy to look into your case. Please check the private message we've sent for help.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

Although, I did not have to deal with Assurant directly, I was happy I had the warranty to cover my repair. The dealership had a bit of difficulty getting Assurant to cover the issue but in the end, everything was covered.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are happy to hear that everything worked out and your claim was taken care of. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

Great experience. Service is always outstanding, always willing to go over and beyond for the customer. They made the process so simple. I’d recommend this company to my friends and family. Thank you for all that you do. I was very happy to write this review. No negative feedback to give at all.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Thank you for recommending us and sharing your feedback with us!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

After 4 days with no approval from the adjuster, the dealer moved forward with the repair anyway. The dealer was very sensitive to the fact that I needed this truck operational - the insurance company bureaucracy was not. All paperwork was filed correctly and expeditiously. I even called the insurance company. They standing to me that the claim was waiting for a response from the dealer - this was not true.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We are very sorry to hear this. Please see our private message requesting additional details.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

The vehicle was serviced by Cannon Toyota in Moss Point, Mississippi with speediness and professionalism! Very happy with the work done smoothly and without delay with use of a rental car while we waited for the repairs to be completed. Vehicle is running well. No other issues. Very happy with the service.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Happy to hear you had a good experience!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I was scheduled to have my car repaired and was very satisfied with the results! Bob, who coordinated the appointment, got me in and out of there in a very timely manner. I've been with Jim ** for about 30 years and I'm ALWAYS satisfied with their service....5 Star all of the time!

First Extended Service Corporation response

Thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience. Thank you for this great feedback!

First Extended Service Corporation Company Information

First Extended Service
      www.assurant.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: