Learn More

3.1/5 (47 ratings)
Learn More

About First Extended Service Corporation

First Extended Service offers four auto warranty plans with coverage ranging from basic powertrain to exclusionary. First Extended Service has warranties offering up to 12 years or 200,000 miles of coverage. You can receive coverage in all 50 U.S. states and Canada. First Extended Service auto warranties are transferable.

Pros

• Available in every state and Canada
  • Long coverage options
  • Transferable plans

Cons

• Owner must cover maintenance

Bottom Line

First Extended Service has four plans with customizable term lengths. Consumer reviews are critical of the company’s claims process and customer service, but positive reviews argue the warranties are worth it.

First Extended Service Corporation Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service Corporation?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Extended Service?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Took too long to get authorization to get service done, a lot of," I will call you." No estimated time, no update. Hopefully my car is fixed correctly, for what the cost was. If not it will be back up there. Customer service somewhat decent.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Tanya, we are sorry to hear about your experience. In the event you need further assistance, please send us a private message with your best contact number.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

The dealerships and the warranty company that were supposed to be taking care of repairing my blown transmission would not communicate with each other which caused a 4 week delay in even starting the repair. This was only ever rectified when I placed multiple calls to all parties to even get the ball rolling. Then I was told that parts explicitly covered under the plan were not covered and I had to pay out of pocket over $300. I was without my car for almost 2 months, and half of that time, my car just sat there with nothing being done to it. Then when I got my car back, there were still things wrong with it that I had to fix myself. Overall a very frustrating, annoying, and disappointing experience.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Sam, we are sorry to hear about your experience. A private message was sent to you asking for further details.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Had we not had the backing of a woman named Anne and Dennis **, the selling company AND Steamboat Springs Motors, you would have run us in circles and back again with a holiday weekend coming up. All you had to do was verify coverage, you did that immediately and it was covered. Next you would have given a claim number, Anne had to procure that, you would not work with Steamboat Springs Motors, and last you would have simply given us an approval number. Anne had to get that for us. Had we not had an army in our corner, you would have completely stranded us with only a small amount of trip insurance available and and no place to stay over the weekend. No, you don't get high marks for that unconscionable behavior.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Diane - We are truly sorry to hear about the issues with your case. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Your concerns have been documented for process improvements.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Pleased that you authorized repair. But I will never go back to this dealer. Car in on a Monday, diagnosed and part ordered. Part came on Thursday, was promised would be done Friday. Was not even started by late Fri afternoon and they denied saying it would be. Car sat there over Labor Day week, was not even started Tues. I got car and my own mechanic is fixing it. I will have to pay for it myself since your warranty will not cover. No other Kia dealer near me. Not sure why you can't just pay my mechanic. Would probably be a lot cheaper.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Mary, we are sorry to hear you are disappointed in your recent interaction. Please send us a private message if you need anything in the future.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

My Transmission went on on my 2016 Buick Enclave that had 76,000 miles on it. They Towed it from Tupelo to New Albany for me to the Chevrolet store and put a transmission in it for me and the brought it back to Tupelo for me. Simple easy process. Thank you Barnes Crossing Auto Group!

First Extended Service Corporation response

Kevin, happy to hear you had a great and simple process. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

While on a 3,000 mile motorcycle trip my rear tire was damaged and leaking air. I was able to get to Rt 30 Harley Davidson in Upper Sandusky, OH. The dealer took care of everything! Within a few hours I was back on the road.

First Extended Service Corporation response

We're thrilled to hear you had a fast resolution. Thank you for this great insight!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

This is the second time I have used my Assurant auto warranty and the ease of service and coverage have been awesome. Paul Brown Motors has made the repairs in both instances and I have been extremely pleased with their work and the ease of using my warranty coverage. Thank You!

Original review: July 26, 2021

Everything was straightforward and consistent with the policy. I highly recommend every customer purchase this policy with their pre owned vehicle. You pay upfront but to have the peace of mind that it is covered is invaluable.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I was delighted with your services and your super quick response to taking care of my repairing costs. I know I was so lucky to have Assurant backing me up for the repairs to my car. It was totally amazing ... Thank you 100x times for your help!!!

First Extended Service Corporation response

Janet - You're very welcome! Glad to hear we provided you with outstanding service!

Original review: June 30, 2021

I purchased a BMW from a Ford dealership. I purchased the high tech package. the air conditioning went out and a seat sensor for the seat belt needed replacing. I called Groove Ford and was told I had to take the car to the BMW dealership. I did. First Extended said I have to take it to the Ford And they have to sublet the work. It’s INSANE. They won’t help, I have been in their queue twice for a call back and it doesn’t happen. I have had Ford and BMW people call in. My contract has NO TIEBACK language which they are relying on to not proceed with the claim. It’s been almost 3 weeks. Still no resolution. Do not buy this crap.

First Extended Service Corporation response

Kevin - Sorry to hear about your experience. A private message was sent to you asking for further details.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I bought a comprehensive policy that was supposed to cover everything that the original warranty covered for $2,458. As many other reviewers noted, the company seems to do everything possible to avoid paying claims. My particular issue was that a sunroof motor needed to be replaced as part of replacing the track. They wouldn't cover the motor even though it was necessary and the Ford warranty would have covered it (according to the Ford dealer doing the repair).

I've had 3 calls and spent at least 2 hours on the phone (much of it on hold) and even had a conference call with the Ford service rep. After threatening to sue them I eventually got transferred to a "specialist" named Elisha but she could not or perhaps would not even give me an address to make a demand that they cover the repair. She also said there was an appeal process but could not tell me what that appeal process was. She said she'd have to review the case with a supervisor to see whether they could tell me the appeal process. Talk about a run-around.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

My experience was terrible. It’s difficult to get someone on the line and clearly they don’t communicate with each other. I had to come out of pocket for towing and still can’t get reimbursed for a rental car that is in my policy. This service sucks, go anywhere else!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Just signed up with First Extended a few months ago. The process was easy and the cost was flexible based on the specs I wanted and was able to compare costs of these specifics, as I made my final decision.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I paid for a whole year membership, only for when Every time something went wrong with me jeep they never fixed anything. First time I needed a wheel hub, and second time I needed a actuator. No matter what the problem First Extended Service was never there to help, they will fight any problem you have not to help. Save your money people. This company is a rip off.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I purchased the extended warranty on my 2015 VW Tiguan. Had it for 3 years and never used it. The remote for the locks/alarm started to short out and burn up batteries every 2 days. I called the company and spoke to a rep who assured me that since I had the highest coverage Plan F which included the Hi Tech, they would cover the remote. I wasn't able to take it in right away so a month later when I was able to take it in I confirmed again that it was covered. I made an appointment at the dealer and when I got there the service advisor called in and claim was denied. I was standing there while he called. They said the policy didn't cover the remote.

I went and sat in the showroom and called in and spoke to a 3rd rep who saw that I had called before and read what I had been told and then explained that the problem was how the service advisor worded it made it sound like the remote was killing batteries and that isn't a covered issue. I said it was killing the batteries because it was defective and had developed a short. That was different and would be covered. The service advisor called again and spoke to someone else and they were getting him an authorization and put him on hold which eventually got him him disconnected. He called back a 3rd time and explained the problem carefully stating that an internal short in the remote was causing the batteries to die.

After another 10 minute hold while they researched the issue someone came back and again denied the claim, stating that since the problem wasn't caused by the car, the remote itself isn't covered. The warranty specifically states "All power motors and solenoids related to the electrical operations of antennas, DOOR LOCKS, power headlight motors, seat motors, mirrors, convertible tops, power trunks releases. The driver's door is the only door that can be opened with a key and then you must manually hit the electric lock button to open other doors.

This company got over $1200 for this warranty which in reality covers nothing. I have a $100 deductible and the cost of replacement for the key fob is $255 including programming. The people at this company have no understanding of how a vehicle works and will find a way to deny every claim regardless of coverage. DO NOT EVER BUY A CONTRACT FROM THESE PEOPLE. Dealer forced the contract on us and made a lot of money on a piece of worthless paper. I'd call my attorney if the time and cost involved were worth the effort.

Original review: March 30, 2020

When I bought my truck was offered a extended warranty. Told sales rep that if it covered rodent damage I'd buy it 'cuz we live on a farm and my last vehicle was damaged. Rep told me, "Yes it would be covered." So today my truck engine light came on and called and told it was covered. Yet when I get to dealership for repairs told not covered. How do I go about getting a refund.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I would give them 0 stars if possible. First Extended is the name of the company the service advisor at the Chrysler dealership and I have been dealing with today. I purchased a First Extended warranty at the time of the purchase of my vehicle. First Extended is supposed to cover the motor mounts on my vehicle, but are refusing to do so. Their excuse is that it is part of the powertrain. According to Chrysler the motor mounts are not part of the powertrain. The woman I spoke to in claims first answered the phone calling me Jessica (not my name) and then started laughing. When I explained to her that the service manager had said that he was told by the company that they would not cover motor mounts, she said that they should be covered, and she didn't see where it would be different in the contract. Then after talking to her supervisor, she told me that they were not covered because they are under the powertrain warranty with Chrysler.

I explained that the service manager stated that motor mounts are not part of the powertrain (which she originally agreed with). She began talking over me, and when I asked her not to talk over me, she began to yell at me. Then she hung up on me. This company has many complaints against it. When I checked on them at ConsumerAffairs.com I found that many people have experienced similar, if not worse problems with this company. I plan to call an attorney and a local consumer reporter so that no one else has to go through this. The service advisor is going to send a detailed report to them to explain how the motor mounts are not part of the powertrain. I will see what happens.

I have a phone call to the original car dealership where I purchased the vehicle to see if he can get anywhere with them and to hopefully stop selling their warranty. I actually paid $2,800 dollars to be treated in this manner! I looked up how much an extended warranty should cost and I paid way too much! Stay far away from this company! I am going to tell everyone I know who is thinking about buying a vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

CLAIM: Intentionally malicious bad faith conduct of the warranty company, supported by extensive evidence of failure to honor the contract by the warranty company. On 9/14/19 the car vision dealership advertised the contract with First Extended Corp expressly stating that the company will replace the parts in the "new" or "like" condition upon its discretion. The law requires that when contract contains a discretionary provision the warranty must act in good faith. Here, there is conclusive evidence of bad faith of the warranty company.

Between 9/14/19 and 11/11/19 car vision dealership and First Extended Corp failed to activate the contract making the customer unable to submit any claims. This was done with the purpose so that if the customer submits the claim it will be rejected because no prior authorization received. On 11/11/19 CarVision dealership acting on behalf of First Extended Corp admitted its wrongful act and activated the contract. It further admitted the reason why it chose to deal with first extended corp is because of the kickbacks it receives from them and that is the reason why the carvision dealership didn't offer any other warranty contracts to chose from.

On 11/13/19 a claim was submitted for the steering rack's failure requiring replacement by the Audi dealership in Mechanicsburg PA. On 11/13/19 First Extended Corp notified the customer that it will be willing to cover only 1350$ price of the 2200 for the steering rack. To which the customer explained, that direct interpretation of the contract states that the part "may be new or like condition."

Further, it is direct language of the contract that the replacement with the new part is a possibility. However, acting maliciously with intent to deprive the customer of his contractual benefit, the warranty company failed to honor the contract by choosing to proceed with the junkyard remanufactured replacement. Essentially it stated if your steering rack broke at 22k miles, we gonna get you another one that will serve another 22k miles so it will be of "the like quality"

On 11/16/19 after hearing a complaint from the customer, the warranty company acting in bad faith and with proven malicious intent with extensive screenshots and other evidence only covered the labor costs and refused to cover 1350$ that it previously agreed to after the customer complained about the fact that the new part replacement is directly written in the contract.

Evidence of malicious intent and bad faith:

- Warranty company failed to activate the contract leading the customer to the position that he paid for non-existent services between September and November 2019. This is proven and documented. The warranty company was receiving payments for the contract it had not activated. Selling non-existent service is illegal. It was non-existent because if the customer would have submitted a claim it would have been rejected because the record did not contain information about the customer because it was intentionally not activated.

- Warranty company failed to honor the requirement that whenever the contract states that exercise of the option whether to proceed with a new part or the used part as a replacement - it must act in good faith. The contract states "new part" or "like quality". It is proven that the warranty company never intended to replace it with the new part and it was only a marketing strategy to advertise replacement with "new" parts where in fact evidence shows it never intended to use those new parts.

- Warranty company falsely advertised that the new part replacement was ever a possibility and falsely advertised that possibility where in fact it never intended to replace with the new part, because after hearing the complaint from the customer on 11/15/19 it simply chose to cover only labor costs but not the part itself.

- After hearing the customer's complaint on 11/15/19 the warranty company retaliated against the customer by declining to cover the cost of the part, which it previously told the Audi dealership it will cover in the price of 1350. This is conclusive evidence of breach of contract and malicious business practices on the part of the warranty company.

- During the conversation the company's representative indicated that he has recognized that the customer is in a protected under the civil rights act category. This determination was made on the record and was also considered in deciding to retaliate against the customer because of his immediately audient accent and nation origin.

Given the conclusive evidence of the breach of contract, I am requesting that all of my damages are compensated and the First Extended Corp's license to practice business is temporarily suspended until the office of the Attorney General consumer affairs conducts a full range investigation into the fraudulent and malicious practices defrauding innocent and law abiding customers.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Zero Stars is more adequate!! Do not buy a warranty from these people. They will do anything and everything to not cover your repair. Save your money and pay for the repairs yourself and save yourself the headache. We will definitely not buy or refer this company to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

If I could have given a negative star, I would have. I have been pending to have my transmission replaced for 2 weeks. Each time I call, I receive the claim is with the underwriter. I elevated the situation to a manager name Lisa which said, she would call and never did. I recommend to never do business with this organization.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

We are a certified repair facility, and know what to expect with this process. I have worked with several after market warranty companies, and this one is very simple and straightforward. Easy to navigate, great customer service, quick turn around time. I would recommend this company to my customer. Overall good company.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I have the perfect storm this year. We are work camping in our Tiffin open road and the fridge cooling unit died, the water heater is leaking, and two gas line nuts cracked and our leaking. So we cannot use our gas or fridge. After several phone calls to this company and being told that everything was covered, we finally got an RV repair to put in a claim. Mind you we are living in this RV and can't just drive somewhere and drop it off. So, I contact the RV Repair man several times who tells me that there was something wrong with the claim. I call back 1st Extended and am told that the claim was never entered. So we tried again. After waiting several more weeks and hearing nothing, I finally heard from the repairman saying he was waiting for approval for the fridge and they will not cover the gas lines because we probably over tightened the b nuts.

We have never touched them since we bought this unit. So I called back to see what was going on and the person on the phone for First Extended said that no one ever put the request in for approval. She said she would check on it and get back with me. Still waiting. Worse thing I ever did was purchase this stupid warranty. I was told by Bankston RV in Madison AL that it was a mandatory purchase in order to buy the RV. Sounds like a nice racket to me! Now that I see the reviews on this company, I feel sick to my stomach! How is this allowed to continue?

Susan

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Purchased the extended warranty when we purchased our new Subaru from Reno Lithia Subaru. Needed to use the extended warranty last month, we live 140 miles from the nearest Lithia dealership, called First Extended Service Corporation and explained this to them and was told, "no problem take it to any dealership and we will cover the repair." Took a day off work, drove to the Subaru dealership and was told the warranty would not be covered. They informed me I had to take another day off work, travel another 280 miles round trip and have the repair done at a Lithia dealership. I lost more money than the repair would cost taking one day off work and cannot afford to take another day off work and lose more money. But they said that was my only choice even though on the extended warranty card they said if I live over 40 miles away from the dealership where I purchased the vehicle they would cover the repair. A complete JOKE. Bob **

Original review: July 10, 2019

If there were negative stars I would do it. This warranty company is a joke. When I purchased for my son a 2006 Nissan Truck extended cab 4x4 with off-road package in 2/2018 with approximately 77,000 miles from Big Red Sports/Imports in Norman, OK (another joke), I financed $2600 for an extended warranty, with no deductible. My son has been without his truck for over a month, this warranty company is paying zero and I am going to have to pay personally $1500 for the repairs needed. This is part of what Stillwater Automotive sent to First Extended Service Corporation.

"Suspension System Concern. Concern? = The Rear axle has shifted 2in. to the rear. Check and Advise. Conditions? = ***After checking on the rear end we found that the pin that lines the axle up and holds it in place on the leaf spring has completely rusted in two. Letting the rear axle slide backwards, also the lowest leaf in the spring has fallen out at some point. The U-bolts at the rear leaf spring are also ruined due to the axle moving. In order to fix the issues we will need to replace at least the Right Rear Leaf Spring. It is possible that both rear springs will need to be replaced due to the truck having a lift kit. The hard part is knowing what size lift kit the truck has on it in order to order the correct springs. The truck is NOT drivable at this time due to the spring and rear axle issues." And First Extended Service Corporation only pays $55 per hour for labor which is also pathetic!!!!

Original review: May 7, 2019

I bought an extended warranty when I bought my leased GMC Terrain outright. The dealership Colonial Buick GMC of Watertown, MA said I had to buy the warranty or I could not buy the truck. I recently had a transmission problem. The dealership I bought the car from was out of business. I called the warranty company and they said I had to take it to another dealership in my area. I did and of course the dealership said they called the warranty company and it was not covered.

I paid over 800 dollars to to have the transmission lines replaced. Truck only has 60,000 miles on it. It benefits both the dealership and the warranty company to say it's not covered. The warranty company isn't going to pay the rate they charged me to fix the problem. Then the dealership said it needed all this other work for another 1800 dollars. I had them do the lines and got it out of there as fast as possible. I think the dealerships are in cahoots with the warranty company. Would love to know if there are any class action suits out there.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Bought a 3 year/36,000 mile extended warranty during the purchase of my 2013 Buick Enclave. I started having problems with the transmission shortly after the factory warranty expired. Took the vehicle to a Buick dealer for repairs who called into First Extended Service for repair authorization which was quickly denied. It has now been months of calling to include our lawyer calling and they are masters of giving the runaround and will never return your calls. We have yet to talk to anyone at this company who can actually make a decision. I can tell by the reviews, this company has been robbing people for a long time.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

How can this company stay in business? I bought a 2012 Mazda CX 9 from a dealership in Canandaigua, NY, in 2016. I purchased a First Extended Service Agreement for 5 years/60,000 miles. The timing chain failed over a month ago so I put the so called "warranty" into action. I sent in documentation for every oil change but three, declined because there were gaps in the service. Every one of these was done at a dealership in Richmond, VA. The claim was denied. I then submitted the three from a garage in Upstate NY. All of this took over a month and I received no calls from this company to inform me of any claim results.

I called them every other day, always talking with a different customer service rep. This company didn't call me, or the dealership, to inform us the claim had been denied a second time. They said the invoice numbers were not in order. This company, First Extended Warranty from Chicago, is a rip off! If anyone has a lawsuit against them I'd like to be involved in the legal action. Every dealership that sells this warranty should cancel them as soon as they can. People need to let them know that they are dealing with an awful company. A company that steals from their customers!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I purchased a service plan when I bought my vehicle. This company is refusing to pay for repairs that are covered. They hung up on the mechanic they sent me to because he called them on their Fraudulent behavior. They have denied my claim 6 times now. I have been without a vehicle since before Christmas and they will not approve me for a rental. My transmission needs repair, which is supposed to be covered. BEWARE! I will take them to small claims court on the advice of the repair shop.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

DO NOT purchase an extended warranty from this company. Telephone customer service is horrendous and the reps are lacking in the ability to operate their computers to access the customers correct information. Phone reps bounce you around on hold for hours and then deny car rental service on a covered repair, Worst experience ever trying to get my SUV fixed and a rental car.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I purchased the extended warranty on my 2012 Hyundai Touring. My struts went and I contacted First Extended Service and they informed me that my extended warranty was only good for 9 months. I had to go back to the dealer to have them work it out with First Extended that I had purchased a 10 year or 1,000-mile plan. My dealer told me I could go to my own repair shop due to the distance.

When I submitted my claim they said I did not get prior approval or go to the dealer. When I explained it took the Car Dealer 10 days to work it out with them that I had in fact purchased the extended warranty I could wait for prior approval since I live way out in the country with no public transportation. They were rude on the phone. I asked if they would send me a denial and they said they didn't necessarily send out notices. I told her I wanted it so I turn their business into the New York State's Attorney General and the lady hung up the phone. I totally feel stupid that this company took $2,000 of my hard earned money and provided nothing.

First Extended Service Corporation Company Information