Illinois

3.2/5 (324 ratings)

About Nicor Gas

Nicor Gas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nicor Gas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nicor Gas?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Due to paying for our other bills, we did not have enough money to pay for our extremely overpriced bill. We called to only be told we can't do anything, not even a payment arrangement. I would rather go to someone else for gas rather than Nicor. If it were my choice, I would've stopped going with them a LONG time ago.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Nicor tells me they need to do a safety check on the gas equipment in my rented apartment in my building. They tell me this via a disconnection notice. Instead of calling me, I have to call them. Okay. fine - I call in to schedule an appointment. Don't try to use their phone system - it's broken. If you try to enter your zip code to authenticate for a service appointment, you get booted back to the main menu. Just mash the "0" button - ignoring prompts - until you get put on hold for 30 minutes. IF they pick up, you can schedule the appointment that THEY requested in the first place. If you fail to schedule, they will disconnect you. Once the appointment is scheduled, they blow off the appointment completely. My property manager had to leave - he couldn't spend all day waiting for the guy to show. It was already 30 minutes outside the already generous 4 hour window by the time my manager gave up.

I schedule again. Same thing, except this time I have the keys to the gas meters so I can be the one to miss an entire day of work waiting for this guy to show up. I just called customer service to find out they changed my 4 hour appointment window to an all-day appointment window without telling me. Go figure. I sure hope someone eventually shows up today. Please understand - there are no other options. We are STUCK with Nicor. They know this, and they abuse us with it. I hate that my favorite city is stuck in such a cesspool of corruption and abuse. I hate that we all pay the price.

Go check out the BBB page for this company. They somehow paid for an A+ rating even though every review is one star. Corrupt ** company has me and my ability to go to work by the balls, all so they can hire fewer service techs. I'm sure the service techs would agree with me. People in Chicago get their gas shut off by Nicor during the winter every year, which is illegal. Makes me wonder who profits from all of this.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I just got off the phone with a Nicor representative. Our conversation concerned my billing. My charge for this month is $23.04. I explained the only gas appliance left in my home is a small gas fireplace with the pilot light left on. As we went through my bill, we discovered the charge for actual natural gas used last month was $2.88. She explained the additional $20.16 are permanent monthly charges I have to pay regardless if I consume any gas or not. $16.38 a month charged for the meter, and the rest are taxes. I told the representative I was not pleased with this practice, and wanted to shut the gas service down for the summer. She said they could however, It would cost my more than $75 to turn it back on again for Winter use. This is a total rip off! Every appliance in my home is electric with the exception of that fireplace pilot light being on. How can Nicor get away with gouging customers in this way? Is there anyone I can go to to air my grievance?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I want my money back. I enrolled in autopay when I setup my account. For the first billing cycle it didn't debit my account. After I noticed I called and was told I would have to pay online, but there was a fee, not happy. I reluctantly (because of the $2.95 service fee) paid my bill online. Then the next autopay came out for the balance that was already paid and the new balance. Basically stealing $249.25 out of my checking account. I called and was told there was nothing that could be done and their policy is the funds have to stay within their account for 10 business days before being refunded. I am a very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

They have been zero help. They accidentally shut off our gas, nothing left at our door, nothing left in the mailbox, middle of December. Thanks Nicor Gas. Our family can just go somewhere else, no bigs. Then they said someone would be out within 4 hours to figure this out, 3 hours later they said “oh looks like we are not sending anyone. Do not tell me your garbage story. Call back at 7am.” I have never left a bad review in my life. Congrats NICOR GAS. YOU’RE THE FIRST.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I’m a plumber called by realtor that Nicor found a small gas leak, house is vacant, when I arrived at house the meter is locked. We repaired the marked gas leak at water heater pipe and called Nicor, they said someone has to be at the house before they unlock it and it could be up until 11:59pm. They should just plastic tie the meter with a warning tag not lock it. So now the realtor or I will have to wait here all day for them to unlock the meter, that’s so inconvenient!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Called Nicor 6 months ago about getting gas meter installed, we were all electric, when our system finally went out 3 months ago, we had no choice but to replace it with gas furnace and air. Still waiting. We're in a established small lot community. When I called last week I was told 2 more people had to get here. One supervisor and after that another crew would connect, the problem is the month or more in between people. So I am hoping for a warm fall!

Original review: June 15, 2018

Our services were disconnected for obvious reasons. Spoke with a customer representative and I agreed if there is a past due balance unpaid, of course services should be disconnected. The problem is, we were to believe to have been on auto payment program (as ALL OUR OTHER BILLS ARE SET THAT WAY) as well as paperless. Nicor Gas did NOT contact us by phone prior to disconnection (which is stated in their terms of procedure) and they also did not bring this to our attention for TWO YEARS. Their rep said we were lucky to have not been disconnected sooner. How is that lucky? We cannot afford to pay $1,800.00. Had they followed their own company policies and procedures, they would have been paid and my family would have gas.

I believe this to be fraudulent acts for the company to receive more money from consumers, seeing as more than half the bill is in late payments. The customer rep I spoke with named Julie, claims they sent statements and several disconnection notices (which were not received). She also agreed when I asked, that Nicor Gas Company can legally wait two years of nonpayment for services to be disconnected, when the bill reaches an unreasonable amount for a customer to pay. She also told me Nicor Gas will not be willing to work out payment arrangements to pay for this bill, that could have been avoided had they followed their own company procedures. We will be contacting a lawyer.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My husband and I recently moved in our new home December 9th, 2017 and when we called Nicor Gas we found out that they never disconnected it from an apartment back in 2007 or 2008 till 6 months after we moved out of there and they never billed us. Now we have an $1000 bill hanging over our heads and they say we're responsible for it. I could see being responsible if they would have shut the gas off when we told them to but they decided that they didn't want to. So now I have to make a GoFundMe post and raffle off some of my crafts just to get it paid. They keep arguing with us that we're responsible for it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I moved into my new home in February of this year. I opened up an account with Nicor, which has been my 4th new account/address in 6 years. In August I suddenly receive a bill with my normal monthly amount plus a $455.90 amount they claim is from an old account from an address I shared with my ex-husband in 2008. The account was in his name, but they have been unsuccessful in getting payment from him, so they just now slapped the balance onto my account!! Again, I've opened 4 subsequent accounts since moving from that address with no issues or mention of this previous balance. This balance has never shown on my credit report or anything. So now because I still have his last name and they were unsuccessful in receiving payment from previously trying to tack the account balance to his mother's account, they have tacked it onto mine. His mother recently moved in with her boyfriend so no longer has an active account in her name.

This is the only reason I can think of why they suddenly added it to my account. If it was truly my balance, it would have shown with every account I opened since they use your social security number to open new service. I am on social security disability with a fixed income and 3 children. I have tried to speak with representatives who have all been extremely rude and not helpful at all! I am so fed up with this! I really hope the BBB complaints can obtain results from them to fix their crooked operating procedures!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Worst gas company ever. They do not consider their customers a priority!!! Spoke with a manager named Kelly. She can’t even tell me basic information about the company and how it works so I guess they let anyone supervise there! HORRIBLE COMPANY. I wish we had more companies to choose from in my area but unfortunately we are stuck with this crappy company.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Nicor Gas has the worst customer service. I never knew my autopay was not active since many months and I never got a phone call or email regarding disconnection. They said they sent a letter and called my phone but got a busy tone! No one gets busy tone on my cellphone! They should have at least left a Voice Message before disconnecting. I came to know after the gas line was disconnected and immediately called them. After I came to know that autopay is not working since many months, I immediately paid entire amount over phone and requested for getting the connection back as soon as possible (Entire amount was paid within minutes after gas supply was disconnected).

But the customer service agent and the supervisor handled the situation very unprofessionally and scheduled a connection date after 5 days! Now no hot water, no kitchen gas, no home laundry, no dishwasher for 5 days while we have 2 kids at home. They should deal with customers like they are in a 'business' and not like 'they are doing a favor'.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I selected paperless billing. Then my credit card expired months later. I think because I turned on paperless ~ they did not call or email me or mail me a nonpayment notice. They just shut off the service. The phone folks insist I was called and sent paper notices. That is a lie. I use my phone for all business and answer ALL CALLS. They did not call and I know that. Awful service. Have to wait 7 days to get heat and hot water and gas for cooking and clothes dryer. This is criminal.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I am a disabled single mother of two little girls. I signed a lease for a new rental on November 1, 2016. I wasn't actually moving in until November 14, 2016. Well I came here and there was NO GAS METER!!! Which meant no heat, hot water or to even use stove for Thanksgiving... I've called over 20 times and I get a different story from them each time. So I made a complaint to the BBB on or abouts November 17, 2016. I know that Nicor received the complaint but they told me that they tried contacting them but haven't heard back from the BBB.

I called back the BBB and they said they haven't received anything from Nicor... OMG... so the landlord gets involved and Nicor pretty much implied that if I drop the complaint they would be out to reconnect everything on a sooner basis. Can you believe that? Then I called them and they implied the same thing. Now the gas just isn't shut off. THEY TOOK OUT ALL THE EQUIPMENT!!! So at this time there isn't even a line to my house!!! It's been 29 DAYS without any heat or hot water. I mean almost a MONTH!!! I mean REALLY NO ONE CAN HELP???

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

In October I received a notice on my door saying I havent used much gas and needed to contact them. I did and I told them I travel for business and had been gone for 2 months. They said my meter needed to be exchanged and I had to be there when they did it. I explained again that I travel for work and most likely wouldnt be home until the holidays and set my appointment up for the week of Christmas. A week later they shut off my gas service, exchanged the meter and put a lock on it. I have a 16 year old at home and they left her without heat, hot water or the ability to cook. It has been 2 months now.

I was finally home today and called them. "We'll be out within the next 2 hours ". That was at 3:51pm. It is now 11:46pm and they still havent shown up. Ive called them 3 times today! I have to leave again in a few hours for another 2 weeks. It has been well below freezing lately and we now have about 5 inches of snow on the ground. Exactly what am I supposed to do to provide heat for my child and house for the next 2 weeks? Luckily I have a fireplace and have had wood delivered for her, but seriously wtf?

Before anyone complains, I live in a very secure, private, gated community and have a security system. It is just the 2 of us since her father passed away last year. Traveling for work is the only way I can continue to pay the mortgage right now and normally wouldn't be a problem if idiots wouldnt turn off the damn gas to my house during the winter. Isn't this illegal anyway? How can they justify doing this and worse yet not bother to show up when they are supposed to?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I'm new to the whole out on my own scene. I just recently moved to Rockford and am renting my very first apartment on my own. I'm responsible for paying for gas and electricity. Electricity was easy. All I had to do was make a phone call and I was in the clear. Nicor, not so much. I called a week ago to set up my gas account. They told me the soonest they could come out would be today (a week) to get a meter reading and what not. I set up the appointment for today between 8am-12pm.

Now since I live on my own and all my closest friends and family live back in Chicago, I had to take off work to be home for them to come out. Today is the day and I've been up since 7am waiting. I even posted a note on the apartment building door to knock on my window (I'm on the first floor. The building also doesn't have doorbells) if they have trouble getting inside. I've been sitting in the dining room watching the door waiting and waiting and waiting. I can hear when someone pulls into the driveway since my apartment is right by it. I can also hear when someone enters the building since the security door is loud af.

At 12:49pm, I began to worry that I might have missed them. I have some experience with utility companies who would pull up and not even attempt to knock on your door or anything before leaving. I called the customer service desk and was told that someone will be out in 20-30 minutes. I said cool. Waited 2 hours and still no one showed. At 2:50-ish, I called again to see where they were and was told that someone would be here by 4pm. I said okay, thanked them for their service and hung up. By 4:01 when no one still showed up I called back and was told that someone would be on their way, but I was waiting so long because they had a high number of "emergency leaks" in my area. Which I believe is total **.

It is now 6:05pm and I tried calling again only to be told the customer service desk is closed and to call back during business hours. I don't know where this company learned how to do business but this damn sure isn't it. I basically wasted an entire day sitting around to be stood up by the damn GAS COMPANY! All I want is for the gas to be turned on. I've already had to struggle through a week like this using a hot plate and what not and if they couldn't meet the damn appointment they set they should've informed me as soon as possible and I wouldn't have had to miss an entire work day! Now I'm sure I'm going to have to call off work again to be here for these incompetent idiots to come out and turn my gas on.

Before I wrote my review I looked at other reviews and saw just how trash this company is, and how they're the only ones providing gas. The beauty? I will keep tabs on these idiots, documenting every incident and if they so much as cross me one more time I will sue the entire company into the ground. Nicor Gas Company, do better you heathens!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

Nicor Gas has the worse customer service, simply uneducated on how to be courteous to customers, regardless of the customer's circumstance. They must remember they are in a "business". They are getting paid to answer calls. Their paycheck depends on us customers, and if they dislike their job, they must get educated and begin a better job search that can teach manners, better yet, the company should hire educated individuals. The customer service reps that take my calls take joy in being rude, take pride in being the worse. REMEMBER THERE ARE OTHER GAS SUPPLIERS! I'm switching today. Can't deal with that anymore!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Had a bill shut off due to non-payment. Paid it on a Wednesday and they said nobody would be out until Monday between 8am -12pm. Nobody showed up yet. Called them and of course "no supervisors are available" **! Why would you tell them a time frame if you dont show up at that time. I asked if or when the next available worker would be here and she said they dont have that information. Lies! I'm to the point of switching everything to electric. Horrible customer service.

Original review: June 25, 2016

My gas got disconnected without notice. I called and paid the bill then was informed that I had to wait 5 DAYS to get my service restored after I told them I have four children in the house one including a 5 day old baby and still nothing. I think this is by far the WORST company ever. I feel they need to reevaluate their policy because as quick as they turned it off they should be able to turn it back on with a confirmation of payment. It's that easy... IJS.

Original review: June 20, 2016

My gas service was disconnected by Nicor on Friday (6/17/2016) due to an oversight of payment on my part. Shame on me. I didn't even know until I tried to cook dinner that night and the stove wouldn't light. I went downstairs and checked to see if the water heater pilot light was on, which it wasn't. My next step was to check the meter. When I went outside, I found out my gas was shut off and locked. I immediately found Nicor's number and called only to find out their customer service department was closed. This was at 6:15 pm. Now I have to wait until Monday morning, because they are closed on the weekends, to call and schedule an appointment for reconnect service.

So I call first thing Monday morning to find out I won't have gas until Thursday (6 days after disconnect) between the hours of 4 and 8 pm. According to the person I was speaking with, this was the absolute soonest it could be turned back on. I explained to this person that there are small children in the house but he didn't care. Nicor, you service more that 2 million customers yet you only handle customer service calls until 6 pm Monday - Friday. No weekend, no holidays, except for emergencies. This is unacceptable!! Once a customer is in good account standing, you shouldn't have to wait up to seven days to get your gas turned back on. They have no problem shutting it off, it shouldn't be a problem to turn it back on.

Original review: June 17, 2016

Horrible company!!! No bill, no notice at all of shut off. Then told I owe for 5 months. But no bill sent. So I paid bill. Then they tell me to get it turned back on I have to wait for 5 DAYS!!! After speaking with 5 different people and two rude as hell supervisors then told I will be transferred to a manager. Then amazingly my call keeps being disconnected. THEY ARE THE WORST COMPANY!!! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, HORRIBLE!!! SCAM ARTISTS! SHADY AS HELL!

Original review: June 16, 2016

Terrible customer service and billing system. I added my credit card information and set up auto-pay when I opened my account. Not only did their billing system delete my credit card, it also never initiated my auto-pay, even though the website confirmed it at the time. This resulted in late fees being tacked on to my bill without my knowledge, and no notification that my credit card or auto-pay was removed. On top of that, no phone call, letter, or email was sent saying that there was any unpaid billing issue.

The customer service rep just tells me auto-pay was never initiated and gives me the steps to set it up. WOW, thanks, I've done that on every credit account I have, this isn't my first rodeo. So I escalate the issue to a manager. The manager claims that their system is perfect and any billing related issues are completely my fault. Since they don't have any records of my credit information, it must be MY fault. Thankfully I'm moving and will no longer need to deal with this joke of a company. BEWARE, you're better off sending in a physical payment every month than dealing with their bug riddled online auto-pay system.

Original review: June 12, 2016

I tried to change the information on my auto-pay today, to update the new expiration date on my credit card. I couldn't. It wouldn't let me enter the new date, and wouldn't let me call it a new card. And when I tried to find a way to contact Nicor, there was NO WAY other than email and a 72-hour wait. I called the phone number and got an endless loop -- "I'll need to look up your account." and then a pause and right back to the main menu. This is a terrible company with a monopoly in the area, so I have no choice but to use them. Also, they are archaic when it comes to contacting them.

Original review: May 11, 2016

Worst company you can even deal with. I hate Nicor gas and I pray day and night for them to go out of business. They shut my gas service for $200 dollars and I am set for auto pay. They never called me about the bill and I didn't know until the service shut off. I called them and paid it and still they didn't come and reconnect it. I have 2 kids and wife and my mother who's 80 years old who has a problem breathing and yesterday at 1 a.m I took her to the emergency room and Nicor gas knows about all that and they don't care. It's 20 outside so cold and don't know what to do. I think we live in the 5th world.

Original review: April 19, 2016

Nicor Gas decided to turn off my gas on April 18, 2016 to replace our meter. There was no notification on the door prior to the shut off and no warning telephone call which I understood was legally required. Our account is in good standing. We knew nothing of the gas shut off until the next morning when there was no heat and no hot water and no stove on which to cook. When I called Nicor, they told me that if I could stay home from work today they could have someone come out to turn the gas on. Terrible customer service. It is like we live in a third world country.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2016

We moved recently and had just made a payment. We had been on the payment plan. The customer service agent told me she cancelled the account. I call when we move and we would continue with the payment plan. I Called and apparently they didn't transfer service. My meter got shut off yesterday. I called this morning and paid bill in full and transferred service but they won't turn on for 4 days. It's 20 outside and my children are freezing. I have nowhere to bring them and they just can't seem to get here sooner. This company sucks. We need an alternative to Nicor. Not only are my kids cold but I have Raynaud's Phenomenon where I lose circulation in my fingers and toes when it's cold. I could lose my fingers and toes.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

I am set up for automatic, fixed payments with Nicor. However last month Nicor took an additional $724. I discovered this when my debit card was declined at a store. Nicor admitted their mistake but said I would have to wait ten days to get money back. This was a huge problem because this was money allocated for mortgage. It's been over ten days and not only did they not return my money, they are helping themselves to it. My latest statement shows a credit balance of a little over $500 and they took $200 for current bill. This bill isn't due until the end of the month. I need my money back to pay my bills due the 15th.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

After husband tried to establish service Nicor sent letter stating he could not obtain service because of a bill I had from 9 years ago. This bill was from before we were married or even knew each other. I explained and they stated when you marry someone you marry their debt in Illinois. Unbelievable. I have all conversations copied, recorded from three different Nicor employees.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

My lease was going to be up at the end of May 2015 so I filled out two stop service forms and requested for my service to be shut off and taken out of my name as of May 30, 2015. My service was not taken out of my name and the vacant house was still being billed to me. After my bill was racked up to nearly $200, I called and asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor advised me that she would stop the service and send me my final bill to my new address, which I supplied her with. I never received my final bill; instead I received a letter in the mail indicating that my account was now being handled by a collection agency due to my unpaid balance. I then called Nicor and asked to speak with a manager again to see what had caused this issue. I was informed that a supervisor would call me back within 24-48 hours. That was over 72 hours ago and I have yet to receive a call back from them.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2015

Nicor stopped sending monthly bill in January or February 2015. I sent 100 dollars. For a couple of months asking to send a bill. They never did. Since April of 2015, the gas was on. I did not receive any kind of bill. Not even a shut off notice. I came home today Sept 2nd 2015 with no gas service. I don't owe that much and will pay on the bill til caught up. Is this against the law to just shut off service without sending prior notice. Of any kind?

Nicor Gas Company Information