1.27/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Last updated: April 23, 2018

43 Heritage Propane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2018

We have been a customer since 2014 and had we been paying attention we would have found another supplier after the first year. Pricing started out reasonable, but has increased steadily. This year prices are nearly double that of other propane suppliers in the area. When challenged with this info they did reduce the cost of one delivery by $1 per gallon. Deliveries have been regular although despite numerous requests to leave paperwork for each delivery we rarely have any record until a bill arrives. Requests to come and level the tank have gone unanswered for 3 years. Do yourself a favor and find another propane supplier.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I had two 100 pound tanks of propane at my house for my fireplace. 1 tank was totally full and the other was partially full. I was having my home tented for termites and then painted. I decided to get rid of the tanks since I did not use them much. I called Heritage to pick up the tanks and reimburse me for the propane that was left. They picked up when I was not home, then sent me a bill for pick up service. Their employee claimed the tanks were empty, and that I would get no refund. He obviously lied, and now I am out approximately $500. WHAT A RIP OFF!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I recently purchased a home that had gas logs. The prior homeowner had used Heritage, so I called them to continue the service. They came and set the tank, then came back a few days later to fill. Everything went well, and I was satisfied with the service. Three months later, during a long cold period, I checked my tank and it was at 25%. Thinking Heritage might be busy due to the weather, I went ahead and called to schedule a fill up. I didn't get an answer, so I left a message. And repeated this weekly for 3 weeks. I never got a single callback from all the messages I left.

When my tank hit 15%, I called the competitor, who gave me a much better price, gave my neighbor 35 gallons of gas for referring me, and had me taken care of in a timely manner - complete with the online account that I was never able to set up with Heritage. I even had to call Heritage at one point to ask them (in a message, of course) to please cash the check I had sent them 2 months prior, rather than continuing to send me bills. Just not a good company to work with.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been using this company for about 10 years or more. I am on auto delivery and belong to none of their programs. I did belong to the "lock-in rate" program but realized that the rate was much higher if you consider the $99 you had to pay to "lock" in the rate. I have been doing some research and found that their current rate is more than $1/gallon. I am going to change to another company. This company is a rip off. I tried to call them all morning and their lines are always busy. I sent them an email using the "contact us" information and it was returned as unknown. Don't use this company. Talk to your neighbors and make phone calls to get the best price for propane.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I called with a gas leak. They sent someone out to cap line off to my gas logs. Stated that they would be back the following day to fix it. It has been 6 days now. I called back and the lady asked if I wanted to make a appt. Really. I've had a appt. since last Thursday. Well they came and filled the tank up and the price is 1.00 more than other companies that I called. Is this not price gouging? STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I rent the tank. Guess I'm not a customer. Just on the back burner. On receipt hazmat fee 10.99, fuel recovery fee 5.61, will call conversations fee 6.99, price/gallon 4.11. Called other companies and they all are at least 1.00 cheaper. A few were more than that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Heritage Propane?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Initially our Propane was from a local company who had both good prices and good service. When they sold out to Heritage Propane quickly got more expensive and the service became very poor. Over the last few years we were told not to ask for a tank fill at anything over 20%. If one were not careful it was easy to run out of gas by the time (7 to 10 days) they came to fill the tank.

Previously they would do their best to help assure they filled the tank in time but now that is not the case. Over the holidays I attempted to get a fill after letting the tank get below 10%. I was told there would be an $85 leak check fee if it got below 5% and I could get an emergency fill for an extra $150! The price for gas was $3.37/gallon which is about $1.00 higher than last year.

Fortunately I found a local AllGas supplier that brought a tank the next day, filled it for a low rate first fill and quoted about $2.50/gallon for the regular price. I called Heritage and canceled my gas order and told them to pick up their rented tank. Now I am concerned they had already charged my credit card for the never delivered gas and I had already paid for next year's tank rental. Who knows if that will get straightened out easily or not but from other comments it seems I may be in for a hard time.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Purchased a home with a propane tank on a lease agreement with the previous owner. As soon as we took possession of the house we asked about buying a tank instead of renting a tank. We have had several phone calls with them and at their suggestion we were told to wait until the tank was nearly empty before replacing it. Today one of their reps showed up at the house to lock the tank since we didn't have a signed agreement with them for this rental tank. Heritage has been sending the required paperwork by mail to the house, with the old residents name on it, and the post office is forwarding it to their new address. Apparently despite Heritage having our name, address and phone number they were unable to use any of that to contact us about the tank rental renewal and came to put a lock on the tank.

After a little bit of research on Google, it turns out that this is a standard scam with Heritage. If they transfer the account to the new homeowners name then there is no money in it for Heritage. If they stall until the previous owners rental agreement expires, then Heritage can charge you a "new account sign up fee" and also increase the price of the propane, since you aren't under contract like the previous owners were. In addition we have to pay for a "leak test" to make sure that the tank they were perfectly happy to fill up last week is now not suddenly leaking. Again, this is a tactic by Heritage. I'm pretty sure based on previous experience that the tank will magically fail the test, and there will be an additional charge to repair or replace the tank.

Ironically, they will make a few bucks doing this, but have lost the sale of the new tank and the ongoing propane sales. We were going to buy a 1,000 gallon tank from them, but have now made arrangements to buy a tank from another vendor. When dealing with propane companies, stay away from the huge ones and look for a locally owned independent company who actually cares about the community they are in, versus a company like Heritage/Amerigas. Remember that in 2012 Amerigas acquired Heritage for just under $3 Billion, of which $1.46 Billion was cash. That's Billion, with a B. The high rates you pay are what helped them have over a Billion dollars in cash reserves. With the money they make, they buy out the competition and then when they have a monopoly in your area your propane prices double.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

We have used Heritage Propane for the last 4 years. Their rates have risen dramatically over that time (we were told that they have been bought out by AmeriGas). Compared to other local companies, their rates and customer service are dismal. We have always had an excellent payment history, but recently we misplaced a bill, which went past due by 30 days. The bill was for $40... They charged us a $36 late fee. I called and cancelled my account immediately. I recommend Freeman Gas. They are locally owned, have much better rates and significantly better customer experience.

Original review: April 6, 2017

My landlord has contract through Heritage Propane. The first delivery of propane we got a discount 125 gallon under $150 so they come out, we pay $150 and get 100 gallon. They said they would bring it out when we got low. I called and it's different story why they don't owe it. I will never buy fuel from there.

Original review: April 2, 2017

3 weeks ago, we requested a pick up. They filled the tank on an automatic fill. I went into the office and spoke with the manager. Said the tank would be picked up on Monday. That was last week. Still there and received a bill for the fill today. Wish I would have seen this site before I went with them. I did get a letter stating that they would pick up the tank and am now going to Mr Curtis ** at 615-890-9354 on Monday morning... I'll post to let you all know how it works out...

Original review: March 29, 2017

We initially rented our tank & were serviced well from Amerigas. A few years later Amerigas sold out to Heritage Propane. As soon as the change took place - Our gas rates went up the roof (we were charged over $5.00/gal - 2x what we were paying); The service became non existent (Refills were taking 2-3 weeks; the online payment system was difficult & didn't work well at all); And when we would call we would be transferred to rude customer service agents! We decided to buy a tank & change our gas company; then it actually got worse: We called to have them pick up their tank and moved their tank out to the driveway to make it easier for them to pick it up - We called & called but it still took almost 3 months for them to pick it up! (While it sat in the way in our drive.) Then, to add insult to injury, we were billed $47.70...

We then decided to hold off a month paying it until we researched the charge. We were charged another $36 service fee for paying late! I paid the bill today but I want to make sure everyone knows that we have never complained about a company before but HERITAGE PROPANE IS THE WORST COMPANY we have EVER dealt with! If I ran our business like Heritage is ran we'd be out of business in no time!

Original review: March 3, 2017

Recently phoned the local office in Hickory, North Carolina to have my tank scheduled to be picked up. I gave the office a weeks notice and they said they could pick it up before the end of the month. That never happened. I called them back and I was told that it could take "weeks" and they are backlogged by 4 months for pick up of tanks. I was required to pay an $100 security deposit over a year ago and was told I will receive that back upon return of the tank.

Today, they are singing a different tune. "We normally do not collect security deposits sir," was what I was told. "That manager no longer works for the company." "I will have to look into it further." "Oh, by the way, there is a $59 plus tax pick-up fee." It is obvious to me that this fee was just made up. Why would a company hold $100 of my money to make sure that they get their equipment back but then charge me $59 plus tax to pick it up. I will be very vocal about these unfair practices on social media and every outlet that I can find until I am treated fairly.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I been waiting for 2 months trying get service, all is been problems. First they gave me a day to go set lines, I call for time, they didn't have me in system, I had to wait for 1 week. Then when run lines, I had been waiting since that and is 1 month, they supposed to go install friday, guess what they didn't. I call friday before 5, they said had problem. Truck is in shop. Is going to be monday, I call lunch time. They still don't know when? Wtf. I'm positive they have more than one truck. This is a very bad service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

When I checked my tank last weekend (1/1/2017) I realized it was down to 20%. I called first thing Monday morning to order a refill. I was told it would be done between 5 to 7 days. I again checked my tank the following Wednesday and discovered it was down to 15%. I again called Heritage to request the tank be filled by the end of the week. They made no promises but would call me if it was possible. I got a call the next day (Thursday) that someone would be out to fill the tank on Friday. Today, Friday, no one showed up and in the afternoon I decided to call to check on the status and was told they were unable to come as promised. When I let them know how unhappy I was they had the nerve to tell me they would send someone out if I would pay an extra 150.00. This is outrageous!!! This is a poor way to treat people and shows the greed of this company putting money ahead of service.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

I switched to Heritage Propane because of their initial pricing. We don't use a lot but thought getting a new tank with the special pricing would be good. Within two months we ran out of propane. When I called to say we must have a leak the manager or owner said that I used it. I quickly switched to Lee Propane and they found the leak. I've been running off the same tank for approx a year now. Customer service is a zero, the part that leaked was the part they installed so knowledge is a zero as well. Stay away from them. Horrible company!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I had been with Foust Fuels for years and the people always seemed pleasant, but I regularly had them deliver gas when I had not requested it. I had to budget for my fuel deliveries and was on a "deliver when called" plan so that I could pay them when they filled the tank. But, they would just unexpectedly top me up and bill me when prices were high and then add a delivery charge too (more gouging). Sometimes it took me a month or two to save enough to pay them, but then they would add a late fee each month for a delivery I didn't request. Typically I paid in advance over the phone when I made the order, or I would leave them a check for it under the tank cover. I ordered the minimum 150 gallons a few months ago and they tried to charge me about double the average rate in our area.

I protested that their price should be so high after years of being a customer. The manager agreed to charge me the normal going price and I paid it with my credit card over the phone. The delivery man came a few days later and I saw him filling it, so I asked him how he controlled it to shut off at 150 gallons? He got very surprised acting and shut it off because he said he was going to completely fill it. He then went to the truck and set the pump to stop at 150 gallons. About a month later they began calling to say I owed them more money because they had charged me the wrong rate and now want me to pay them the extra high price instead of the normal price we agreed to and I had already paid in full before they delivered it.

Usually I can go a whole year on one tank of gas and I get them to fill it in the summer when they aren't busy and the prices are low. A few years ago they filled me, without my request, in the spring. I paid that bill right away anyhow. A month later, they claimed they had to completely fill it again even though it was summer and I only heated with gas and had not used my furnace. I've been hearing a lot of stories like this from neighbors.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

This company overcharges their customers by more than 100%. The national avg. for propane is $1.99 and yet Heritage charges $4.03 per gallon. Ridiculous! Stay away from this company. They overcharge and have no explanations why other than they want to be greedy. There are plenty of other reputable, honest and fair companies servicing the area. This has been occurring for several years. If you are lucky, they will give you a "special discount" and drop the price but that only happens in rare instances.

Original review: April 21, 2016

I used Marlen Gas in 1996 for tank and propane and paid a $25 deposit for the tank. In 2001 they switched the tank out for a smaller one and for the 17+ years I used their service I only paid for the propane when I took a delivery. They went out of business a few years ago so I found a new provider. Heritage delivered my propane and then about a year later, started billing me for a service fee for the tank lease since I wasn't getting delivery. I cook with propane. I don't use 250 gal every couple of years to cook. I have and provided paperwork that clearly shows my lease amount n/c and told them so. For over a year they continued to bill me, adding each quarter. They then turned me over to a collection agency.

Yesterday, they came by my house to shut off according to paperwork. I called them and left them a message last night explaining the situation again. Today, they came by again and left me a note with copies of my paperwork from Marlen Gas that clearly shows a n/c lease. For 17 years I was never billed a lease fee. When I had them deliver gas, they should have mentioned if I purchased propane from them. They would charge me if I didn't get a delivery for a while They are trying to get money from me from a company that went out of business. Maybe they bought the tanks, regardless, they neither had me sign a new contract. Their letter says they own Marlen Gas. If that is the case, shouldn't they honor the contract I have had in place for many years. Crooks!!!

Original review: April 8, 2016 Anyone can check the US EIA websites for current propane pricing for the lower 48 states. What you will find out is that AmeriGas/Heritage Propane prices in Florida are over TWICE the national average. This same company has locations in the southern US and next door in Georgia. The average prices in March 2016 are less than half of the average in Florida, which is $4.70/gal. I was initially quoted $5.80/gal and then was adjusted to $4.50/gal. This is outrageous! Why are

we in Florida paying a multiple price increase over the rest of the country??

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

Wow, I'm reading these reviews; are we talking about the same business? Maybe it's the location, but our experience has been just the opposite of unpleasant. They're wonderful! When they first bought out our old company and took over, things were a little rocky, but that's to be expected. Since they've been Heritage, we have been extremely pleased. We're on their watchdog service, so we receive automatic refills for our gas; we've never run out.

Their techs are the only ones in our area current on and capable of repairing our Rimi propane heater. We have only had to call for service on the heater twice in 11 years; both times they were friendly, prompt, competent, and reasonably priced. We anticipated a delay when we had to call during the holidays, but they had a repair technician here in 20 minutes. Also, we're on a tight budget, and they were willing and easy to work with on our payment management. We'd recommend Heritage Propane to anyone contemplating propane for their homes.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

The entire experience with Heritage Propane has been one fiasco after another. From the inept customer service at install to the actual installation (they sent 1 install person attempting to install on a steep slope; I had to help him and it was dangerous for both of us) to the attempt to cancel service which I've been trying to do unsuccessfully for 2 months. At the age of 50 I have to say this has got to be the worst company I have ever dealt with. I recommend avoiding them at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

I moved into a new house that had Heritage gas. I called to change the account into my name and from the first touch point to Heritage it was a disaster. They came out for site inspection and then didn't realize another tech was dispatched incorrectly to disconnect the gas. Their customer support people are completely incompetent and did everything incorrectly. How they stay in business I do not know. I moved to Ferrellgas and told Heritage to remove their tank a month ago. They couldn't even figure out how to remove their own tank in 30 days. If it is not out by tomorrow I am disposing of it. I would NEVER use this company...

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

I am a senior citizen who just gets by on social security. I had my bill paid in full and said that I did not want my tank filled till I called for more gas. This was in Nov of 2014; some time in April of 2015 they filled my tank when gas was at an all-time high here. I tried to find funds to pay but just couldn't. You know, heat, eat or meds. I offered so much on my account and was told no. I was pay it all now or get charged $36 late fees for every month that I did not make a full payment. I got someone to help me out and I paid my bill in full. I told the people at the Washington, MO Heritage Propane distribution point that I would call when I needed more LP. Now today I got a letter from them stating they want $150 contract termination fee.

Original review: April 22, 2015

I have had to deal with Heritage Propane in Tampa, Florida 3 times since 2013. Each time has been a terrible experience. November 2013 I ordered fuel and I thought they had delivered it. Well it turns out they messed the order up and never filled the tank and I ran out of propane on Thanksgiving Day and was not able to cook. November 2014 I called them to see if they could come out and check to see what my propane level was because the gauge was cloudy and underground and I was not able to read it. Of course they said that they would but there was some ridiculous service charge for them to do so (even though it is their tank that I rent from them). I told them NOT to come and that I would figure it out and that I would call them back to order propane if I needed it.

WELL, I just happened to be home one day and the truck shows up and the driver said that he has an order to fill my tank! Thank god I was home or they would have filled it without telling me. I had them only put in 62 gallons and I was not even out of fuel and that was over $300. April 2015 (5 months later) my stove is not working so I call them to see if they can come check the tank because I had just had them put propane in 5 months prior.

The guy comes out the next day and says I was out of fuel. I asked him to test the tank so while I think he is doing that he is FILLING UP THE TANK! When I asked him if he could fill it up halfway he said "Too late, I already filled it up with 200 gallons." When I asked what the price per gallon was he said "I have no idea, and I work for the company and still don't know". A week later I got a bill in the mail for $1028!!! I called them and they said they would look into an adjustment but have not heard back. I am converting to electric and they can take this crap tank with them!

Original review: April 16, 2015

We had been a customer since November 2000 without incident. Then seven months ago payment was submitted via my bank's Bill pay program. Heritage Propane denies ever receiving payment even though numerous bank reps have provided the Trace number and Confirmation number of the electronic transfer. The bank has confirmed the IP addresses were correct. The customer service reps at Heritage were at times rude and didn't seem to know what they were doing. Heritage Propane has placed a lock on our underground tank for non-payment. We have contracted with a new Propane company to have Heritage Tank removed & new company's tank installed. Price of gas much less than Heritage. We have every intention of contacting an attorney.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

I discontinued in Oct 2014, still have their tank in yard after numerous calls and promises to pick up. Filed BBB complaint Jan 2015 and still no response to BBB. I am so angry and mad!!! Worst business I ever dealt with in my life!! WILL never refer anyone to them no matter WHAT!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

I don't understand the other posting here. My experience with Heritage Propane has always been great. The service is friendly, efficient, and professional. I can't change the expense of the gas but everyone I've ever dealt with at Heritage has been great from the person answering the phone to the delivery man. If you need a propane service, this is who I recommend.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2014

I scheduled an appointment in August 2014 with Chuck at Heritage Propane in Boone to come and service a fireplace and service and move two heaters. He didn't show up or call on the specified day. Two days later, I got a voice mail from a girl in the office saying the workers had been tied up in fixing some leaks and I should call to re-schedule. I re-scheduled and have now spent another day waiting. No one has shown up, no one has called, and no one has returned my call to their office. They promised that my appointment would be the first one of the day, so that I wouldn't be waiting in vain yet again. Clearly, customer service isn't important, so they must have more customers than they need.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

Heritage Propane let my gas tank run completely dry in Feb. 2013, despite being an automatic fill up customer, and then came on the coldest day of winter to fill up and price gouged me 1.50 per gallon over competitors prices on a 200 gallon tank maximizing their illicit profits. 4.79 a gallon is what they charged me. When I called to complain to the company about my 978.00 gas bill, they told me I actually received a discount because they didn't charge me a fee for safety checks on an empty tank. I responded that they had let the tank go dry so why would I be responsible for that anyway? I basically got a song and dance about their increase cost of operations during the cold snap and that was the cause of the increase gas prices.

I filed a complaint with the State of TN Consumer Protection Agency for price gouging in a declared state of emergency (they declared a state of emergency the same week I was ripped off by Heritage). I paid my bill in installments for a prearranged late fee and sometime in the summer received a discount of 175.00 on my remaining balance. I’d like to think it was the state attorney’s office that made them refund me the money. I can guarantee you it wasn't their conscience that got to them. Fast forward to end of summer. I told them to come get their tank and they told me it would be a $40 pick up fee and a $150 gas pumping fee to remove my gas from their tank. My tank was practically empty because I did not get a refill after the initial price gouge. They ripped me coming and going. Lied about pick up date and delayed by three weeks. They said they didn't receive a request in writing so they didn't have to come pick it up in the initial time frame they quoted me. I, nor anyone I know, will ever do business with them again.

Original review: July 31, 2014

Called to end my service with Heritage Propane and have them pickup their empty 250 gallon tank. Now they say I owe them a $107 tank pickup fee! They are outta their ** minds if they think for one minute I will be paying them anything to pickup their tank! I'll give them 30 days to pick it up. If not picked up by then, I will have it hauled off by the junk man. WARNING! STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THIS DAMN COMPANY!!!!!

Heritage Propane Company Information