1.28/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

55 Heritage Propane Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 30, 2018

I purchased a cabin in Sevierville, Tennessee. The previous owner had a tank from Heritage Propane so I signed up to continue service. I noticed that it seemed extremely expensive considering the tank was large. Now this cabin ONLY has a gas fireplace ON A TIMER that was using gas. Everything else was electric. We ran the numbers after a couple of years and realized we were paying more for propane for one gas fireplace than we paid for propane at our home in South Carolina that had gas heat for over 2,000 sq. ft. and water heater as well. That is so way wrong!

We changed companies to Sevier County Propane A YEAR AGO and asked Heritage Propane to come pick up the tank. This tank has been sitting as an eyesore for a year and they would not come pick it up. I finally received a credit memo for $130.51 in Mid June (10 months later) for propane left in the tank. I expected to get a check for this. Instead, on 7/25/18, I received FINAL BILL indicating a PICK UP FEE of $59.99, plus a PUMP OUT RESTOCKING CHARGE of $149 leaving me owing $98.86 to them for picking up their own tank and gas. This CANNOT be legal and I am contacting a lawyer. I see so many complaints and find it amazing that the regulatory industry has not shut this company down.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I am doing a review on Heritage Propane with hopes they shut it down. We fill our tank ever year. On top of that charge they sent us a $80.00 bill because we did not use enough gas. Wow. Really. We cannot use the gas in the summer. I guess with global warming they are getting ready to make a killing. Unbelievable. They said it would take 3 weeks to pick up the tank. I really do not see that happening. I am sure they think they will charge us for picking up their tank but they will not get a dime from us. If they don't get it within a month I am chaining it to a truck and dragging it to the woods. This company is a shame. No wonder they have changed names 3 times. Hey guys 'SAME CRAP, DIFFERENT TOLIET'. Somebody better do something or it's going to be another empty building. We already changed over to a heat pump so goodbye Heritage Propane. YAY!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

We have been a customer since 2014 and had we been paying attention we would have found another supplier after the first year. Pricing started out reasonable, but has increased steadily. This year prices are nearly double that of other propane suppliers in the area. When challenged with this info they did reduce the cost of one delivery by $1 per gallon. Deliveries have been regular although despite numerous requests to leave paperwork for each delivery we rarely have any record until a bill arrives. Requests to come and level the tank have gone unanswered for 3 years. Do yourself a favor and find another propane supplier.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I had two 100 pound tanks of propane at my house for my fireplace. 1 tank was totally full and the other was partially full. I was having my home tented for termites and then painted. I decided to get rid of the tanks since I did not use them much. I called Heritage to pick up the tanks and reimburse me for the propane that was left. They picked up when I was not home, then sent me a bill for pick up service. Their employee claimed the tanks were empty, and that I would get no refund. He obviously lied, and now I am out approximately $500. WHAT A RIP OFF!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I recently purchased a home that had gas logs. The prior homeowner had used Heritage, so I called them to continue the service. They came and set the tank, then came back a few days later to fill. Everything went well, and I was satisfied with the service. Three months later, during a long cold period, I checked my tank and it was at 25%. Thinking Heritage might be busy due to the weather, I went ahead and called to schedule a fill up. I didn't get an answer, so I left a message. And repeated this weekly for 3 weeks. I never got a single callback from all the messages I left.

When my tank hit 15%, I called the competitor, who gave me a much better price, gave my neighbor 35 gallons of gas for referring me, and had me taken care of in a timely manner - complete with the online account that I was never able to set up with Heritage. I even had to call Heritage at one point to ask them (in a message, of course) to please cash the check I had sent them 2 months prior, rather than continuing to send me bills. Just not a good company to work with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Heritage Propane?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been using this company for about 10 years or more. I am on auto delivery and belong to none of their programs. I did belong to the "lock-in rate" program but realized that the rate was much higher if you consider the $99 you had to pay to "lock" in the rate. I have been doing some research and found that their current rate is more than $1/gallon. I am going to change to another company. This company is a rip off. I tried to call them all morning and their lines are always busy. I sent them an email using the "contact us" information and it was returned as unknown. Don't use this company. Talk to your neighbors and make phone calls to get the best price for propane.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I called with a gas leak. They sent someone out to cap line off to my gas logs. Stated that they would be back the following day to fix it. It has been 6 days now. I called back and the lady asked if I wanted to make a appt. Really. I've had a appt. since last Thursday. Well they came and filled the tank up and the price is 1.00 more than other companies that I called. Is this not price gouging? STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I rent the tank. Guess I'm not a customer. Just on the back burner. On receipt hazmat fee 10.99, fuel recovery fee 5.61, will call conversations fee 6.99, price/gallon 4.11. Called other companies and they all are at least 1.00 cheaper. A few were more than that.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Initially our Propane was from a local company who had both good prices and good service. When they sold out to Heritage Propane quickly got more expensive and the service became very poor. Over the last few years we were told not to ask for a tank fill at anything over 20%. If one were not careful it was easy to run out of gas by the time (7 to 10 days) they came to fill the tank.

Previously they would do their best to help assure they filled the tank in time but now that is not the case. Over the holidays I attempted to get a fill after letting the tank get below 10%. I was told there would be an $85 leak check fee if it got below 5% and I could get an emergency fill for an extra $150! The price for gas was $3.37/gallon which is about $1.00 higher than last year.

Fortunately I found a local AllGas supplier that brought a tank the next day, filled it for a low rate first fill and quoted about $2.50/gallon for the regular price. I called Heritage and canceled my gas order and told them to pick up their rented tank. Now I am concerned they had already charged my credit card for the never delivered gas and I had already paid for next year's tank rental. Who knows if that will get straightened out easily or not but from other comments it seems I may be in for a hard time.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Purchased a home with a propane tank on a lease agreement with the previous owner. As soon as we took possession of the house we asked about buying a tank instead of renting a tank. We have had several phone calls with them and at their suggestion we were told to wait until the tank was nearly empty before replacing it. Today one of their reps showed up at the house to lock the tank since we didn't have a signed agreement with them for this rental tank. Heritage has been sending the required paperwork by mail to the house, with the old residents name on it, and the post office is forwarding it to their new address. Apparently despite Heritage having our name, address and phone number they were unable to use any of that to contact us about the tank rental renewal and came to put a lock on the tank.

After a little bit of research on Google, it turns out that this is a standard scam with Heritage. If they transfer the account to the new homeowners name then there is no money in it for Heritage. If they stall until the previous owners rental agreement expires, then Heritage can charge you a "new account sign up fee" and also increase the price of the propane, since you aren't under contract like the previous owners were. In addition we have to pay for a "leak test" to make sure that the tank they were perfectly happy to fill up last week is now not suddenly leaking. Again, this is a tactic by Heritage. I'm pretty sure based on previous experience that the tank will magically fail the test, and there will be an additional charge to repair or replace the tank.

Ironically, they will make a few bucks doing this, but have lost the sale of the new tank and the ongoing propane sales. We were going to buy a 1,000 gallon tank from them, but have now made arrangements to buy a tank from another vendor. When dealing with propane companies, stay away from the huge ones and look for a locally owned independent company who actually cares about the community they are in, versus a company like Heritage/Amerigas. Remember that in 2012 Amerigas acquired Heritage for just under $3 Billion, of which $1.46 Billion was cash. That's Billion, with a B. The high rates you pay are what helped them have over a Billion dollars in cash reserves. With the money they make, they buy out the competition and then when they have a monopoly in your area your propane prices double.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

We have used Heritage Propane for the last 4 years. Their rates have risen dramatically over that time (we were told that they have been bought out by AmeriGas). Compared to other local companies, their rates and customer service are dismal. We have always had an excellent payment history, but recently we misplaced a bill, which went past due by 30 days. The bill was for $40... They charged us a $36 late fee. I called and cancelled my account immediately. I recommend Freeman Gas. They are locally owned, have much better rates and significantly better customer experience.

Heritage Propane Company Information