3.25/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

AmeriGas Reviews

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Lived here 8 years, same company same tank, NOTHING changed. Today they filled the tank then locked it because the placement was "dangerous" then charged $240 to move the tank. Extortion. Unethical business practices. Filing complaint with Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I opened an Amerigas account on 10/23/2019. It was the day I closed on my new house in Punta Gorda. The customer service agent Mary set up the account. when I asked her about the locking of the tank. She said that will not happen. She told me that since the tank was just filled they would do the service check when they came to refill the tank. All that was a LIE! I returned yesterday to my house and this am had no hot water. I called the emergency line and was told that someone came out and locked the tank. Nothing they can do 'til Monday. I explained what I was told. Still no help. They'll send an email to the local Amerigas. I checked my email and it was sent on 10/23, it stated that someone would contact me. THAT NEVER HAPPENED! So here I sit until Monday morning with no hot water. LOUSY, LOUSY SERVICE!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

This was a take over of a company I previously had for many years. Their prices are extremely high and they try to charge you a substantial fee to lower their price. They will often promise you things on the phone that turns out to be untrue so best keep everything in writing. They charge outrageous prices for propane $4.52 per gallon and tank rentals ($125/year ) for a 250 gallon tank. Don't trust a word they say and if you have any competition go with the competition.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

We bought a home a few weeks ago that runs on Propane, I called to get a price quote. I was quoted $1/per gal. I told the rep that I wanted to compare prices before scheduling to fill. Called back 9 days later and the lady was rude the whole time. Told me she wouldn't honor the quote and that they the lady before for sure told me it expires, I asked if she could pull the call and accept the first quote. I Never received a call back. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE! I decided to pick a different company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I was about twenty years client of AmeriGas when I decided to cancel my account because it was a opportunity to connect to natural gas. They took over a year to pick their tank with more than three cutters full. They decided not to give me a refund for the propane gas like more than $300.00. I have all my records for about eight years. I won't recommend this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We were with AmeriGas for over 6 years. In the beginning they were a great company, after 3 years we had propane delivery. Somehow we feel the valve was damaged because within day you could smell gas outside house and after just having a fill up we lost close to 40 gals of propane. Call them. The guy comes out and tells us it was because the weather turn cold and something shrunk in valve. My husband called office to see if we got any kind of refund. Start talking to local office. They transfer him to office in California. He was on phone being transfer around with us losing and their dumb excuse on what happened. No they were sorry. Just this is how it is.

Two years later a delivery was made with 8 gals of propane with a tack on of HAZMAT fees and some other charges. We did not ask them to fill. We were on a thing where they on their rounds in the neighbor would check and if we were down to certain amount they would fill it. Again round of phone calls and they did amend the bill. In the last two years the price of propane double where other companies in this area are around 3 dollars a gal. They are 4.78 a gal. We called to see if they could match other companies or come close. No was their answer, so we called and changed company. This happen 8/ 22 /2019.

As of this date we have not received our refund. The office workers and managers keep saying another 10 days and they will see what they can do. Never a real date and this is 10/10/2019. All we have receive is snotty attitude other than one lady in that company. And we have talk to local and out of state and sent emails and contact thru the web. So without you like dealing with bad attitudes pick another company for your propane.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

After starting services with this company all my propane needs became extremely expensive. They have the most expensive propane prices. They don't price match or even want your business. All they care about is overbilling you in any way they can. They charge for the rental of the tank and that's fine but why do I need to pay for maintenance on it. Also If you cancel services you don't get a refund on your yearly fee or the propane left in the tank. The customer care is atrocious to say the least. I would avoid this company like the plague. If they have any positive reviews they must be fake. This company is the worst I have ever done business with.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I called AmeriGas this June after receiving a postcard from them in the mail.. I called them 3 different times so as to see if I would get the same prices and information of what would be expected of me through all 3 people on different days. Well, after talking to the manager in their office 60 miles away, I decided to go with them as they offered a cheaper price from the current company I was using. They delivered the tank and I waited a couple of days for the driver to bring propane. He did not leave me a bill but said the co. would send it. Holy Toledo!!

On the invoice they added a regulator price of $200 extra. I was never told I'd have to purchase a regulator. The 3 people, the mgr, driver or installer NEVER mentioned it. I called the other propane companies in the area and none of them charge for a regulator when renting their tanks. I quickly paid for the gas they provided on 8/7/19 along with obscure taxes, but not for the regulator. Another inv. dated 9/7 came (which I received 9/14) they added a late fee which brings their balance to $258. I WOULD TELL ANYONE THINKING OF USING THEM.... GO SOLAR, ELECTRIC OR ANYTHING ELSE, BUT I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THEM.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I inherited Amerigas via a buyout of a local propane company. I had no choice of course so I thought I would give them a try. Being a business person of 43 years, I understand the nuances of sales and sales methods. To be fair I thought I would give them a try, after all I was with the former company for nearly 23 years. I did a lot of research mainly through word of mouth via working in a business for 32 years. I found that my propane cost me much more than the several local suppliers. The tank rental was more expensive, the office was slow to respond and they charged me $65.00 to pick up their tank.

I understand them being indignant to be rejected but the pickup charge is a policy that seems to be the common thread of their mission statement- Extract the maximum, while keeping service levels minimum. Bottomline, I can no longer afford complacency when excellence is available and discounts are offered elsewhere, not just on opening fill, but throughout the life of the account.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I've had a 120 gallon tank for about 7 years with AmeriGas. I primarily heat with wood so I usually only have it filled once per year, but sometimes more. It has always been that if I got it filled at least once they wouldn't charge me rent. Last winter I got a bill for around $150 for rent. I called to make sure that because I was buying propane I wouldn't have to pay the rent and they informed me that didn't matter anymore and I would have to pay the rent anyways. I ended up paying the rent but not ordering propane because it was super expensive. I finally just decided to cancel my service with them and asked that they come pick up their tank. They now want to charge me $59 to pick up their tank.

The new policy on tank rent and the $59 charge are evidently part of a new service agreement. I told them that I never agreed to their new service agreement, and they informed me that because I had paid the rent last winter I automatically agreed to it. So basically the rent was a bill that I didn't need to pay and shouldn't have paid because as soon as I did I was agreeing to this! They could have make the tank pick up fee one million dollars if they wanted to! Unfortunately I'm stuck paying the $59 fee, but I hope anyone reading this will look to someone else other than Amerigas. Aside from what I would call unethical behavior they have also steadily increased their rates much higher than anyone else in the area. I can actually go buy gas from Tractor Supply for my grill at a lower price per gallon.

AmeriGas Company Information