AmeriGas

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have been in our new home for about 2 weeks. We contacted Amerigas and then advised that they were going to do a soft credit check. When the credit check came back, (mind you my husband and I have FICO scores well over 820), they stated that we didn't have enough credit in the area. Well duh, we just moved in 2 weeks ago. They then told us that every month we would have to pay them upfront for propane service.

This is after going back and forth with them for about 10 days. We pay with cash 99% of the time and if we use credit cards, etc. we pay them off when the bill is here (we are fortunate enough to do this) but apparently that doesn't count. We went with another company and will NEVER DO BUSINESS with Amerigas EVER! Their credit check portion of their company apparently does not know what they are doing. With a FICO score over 820, we should be able to get whatever we want as far as financing so this company is just being DUMBER THAN A BOX OF ROCKS!

We rented a tank from this company for a rental property we own, and have been using it for years, with numerous refills. We recently became aware that their rates for propane are WAY higher than other companies in the area, so we switched out the tank to go with a much more competitive rate. They now want $146 to remove their tank, stating we have not met their initial period (which is three years). We have had the tank for at least EIGHT years. This company is a total rip-off!

The WORST company... It seems PRICE GOUGING is a normal way of doing business for these CROOKS. We had their "service" in Chester, Calif. a couple of years ago when they upped the price from 2.50 gal to 5.61!!! So I called in to complain and they immediately dropped the price to like 3.50 or so. I told them they were history and got another HONEST company. No more problems.

Today I went to my local gas station here in Felton, Calif and was informed of a price increase in propane. I jokingly asked the owner if they were supplied by AMERIcrap and lo and behold... The price Amerigas was charging them was over 6.50 per gallon. I then went down the street and got it for 3.25 at a Valero. My advice to anyone who has Amerigas is to RUN to another company, NOW... The game they are playing is to my mind one that is relying on people not wanting to go through all the hassle of changing tanks and service. A smart tack, yes, if we let them get away with it.

They are charging $5.459 a gallon: around the country it is much less than that. The answer from the office is that it is priced at the head office and as we use less than 100 gallons in a year, it is more. They had charged like this last year and when I complained they reduced it. This is not the way to do business. As there are less competition in this area, looks like they can price whatever they want. They also charge a $95 per year to lease the tank. And a will call fee of $6.99. Frustrating to deal with these concerns.

I have been with AmeriGas for three years. The first year my propane was $1.29 a gallon about the average rate back then. Last year it skyrocketed to $2.10 a gallon and I paid that for the first six months before my mother in law had mentioned that she called and they lowered hers, when I called they lowered it to $1.69 a gallon that was the best they could do she said. I checked around and the average was $1.19 a gallon. Yesterday I received a letter from them explaining the terms for this year. A $99 administrative fee and the price was $2.29 a gallon. I once again called the local competitors and $1.29 is the rate everyone else is at.

I called Amerigas and asked why they were price gouging a dollar more than everyone else. The response I got was the best they could do is $1.90 a gallon. She told me they are a corporation with a much larger service area and more trucks, deliveries, and safety measures that is the reason they charge so much. I then asked how much they would give me for the 75% in the tank if I wanted to switch companies. They told me they don't give back credit for pumped out propane and would charge me $190.00 to pump it out if it had more than 5% in it and a $60 pick up fee to get the tank. I then requested my $745.00 credit to be refunded and to cancel Our Contract and since only my Furnace is Propane I will be sure to call them in January or February during a snow storm when I finally get to 5% to come get their tank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

We are being charged $4.439 per gallon of propane on our latest invoice for 06/10/2017 - the national average at this time was $2.20 - and the AmeriGas website shows their pricing at $1.54 with a special for new customers - $.50 off per gallon. This just seems ridiculous and very dishonest of AmeriGas not to be charging the same rate to all their loyal customers.

Over the past few years, the price has gone up and up. That was expected during the time when gas prices were at their highest. A couple of years ago after replacing windows and other weatherization upgrades, my usage went below a 1200 Gallon usage minimum to get on the price guarantee program. This past Feb they filled my tank which had 40% left in it. I am out of work and ran out to stop the person but he had already added 35% into the thank for a total of 75% in the tank. When I received the bill the price was $4.17 per gallon. I called to find out why and they said that is what they are charging. I then called 4 other companies all with approx $1.50 starting and an everyday price of $2.20 per gallon. I finally got a great deal elsewhere.

I had the tank delivered within 3 days but it was placed next to the driveway due to wet weather. I today had the tank moved finally because of the weather. I called Amerigas to have them come get the tank and they said, "We no longer credit people for gas removed from the tank." I have not paid the bill for the gas they put in and I WILL NOT! However, I am going to attempt to take them to small claims or other means to get money I paid for the 40% in my tank. I would let everyone know that with the 222 gal they put in the bill was over $1000. So don't trust this company. Look around and be informed. Good luck to you all.

I am letting everyone know that Amerigas claims they delivered gas to my property which is gated and guard dog on site in Nov 2016-when everyone in family was out of the country. They have no proof other than a computer created receipt. No receipt was left because they were unable to access our property. I foolishly paid the bill, over the phone, without verifying the charges. Now that I have overpaid, they are now trying to get more out of me for tank rental and charging $36 late fees each month. I owe the tank rental but have overpaid them already for services not delivered. The office is unable to provide proof of delivery, which they can't since the property was locked. Be very aware of their billing charges. Their tank is being removed. I highly recommend you get your own tanks and pay much less. Amerigas is not trustworthy and they overbill you for services.

Shame on AmeriGas for taking advantage of the elderly over charging them for gas, tacking on fees for hazmat and refueling cost (These charges are incurred by the propane provider but are charged to the consumer. Amount we have paid in the last 4 years is $125.00). We have always prepaid for our propane after our last fill. We were charged 1.899/gal and every propane company in the area was at 1.599. We had another company come and transfer propane from AmeriGas to their tank and had them set AmeriGas tank at the end of the driveway for pick up. AmeriGas then sent us a bill for 39.00 which I am not going to pay. I believe us to be even!

We are a longtime Amerigas customer. We started with them many years ago after they acquired our local company. Their service in last few years has been horrendous. They have repeatedly run us out of propane during winter months. Our past two deliveries have been at rates WAY above market rates. $4.59 and $4.89 per gallon respectively. We are having problems talking to them directly, only messages. Terrible way to treat good customers. Awful company. Cannot wait to make a change. They say they will reduce price of our last two deliveries if we sign a contract for service... Feels like extortion to me.

We have had AmeriGas since we bought our current house because that is the tank that was already here. We always thought that their prices were high but didn't do a follow through with other companies. On April 4, 2017 we had checked our tank. We were down to like 18%. They told us to have a delivery before 7-10 days we would have to pay $154.99 plus $60.00 surcharge, told them, "Nope no way. Come and get your tank off our property" and hung up.

Moments later they called back asked what was the problem. Told the person we were not paying that fee. They agreed to drop the $154.99 but would charge the $60.00 so ok just get us some propane. They never have the price on the ticket left in the door or under the house siding (nice trick there) so got the bill today 4/10/17 over $900. and $2.89 per gallon. So I called around to different companies asking what they were charging. $1.59 per gallon.

Called AmeriGas, told them to stop our service and come and get their gas and tank. What they told me was a charge of 59.99 for the truck to come and pump gas out and 35 cents per gallon to pump it from tank to truck. "Are you kidding me," I said. "Nope," the rude little ** said. So I just told them, "Come get your equipment off our property". "Next Tuesday," she says. "What time," I say. She says, "No clue. A technician will call you on Monday or Tuesday Morning". "Fine," says I. Keeping fingers crossed. If they do us like they have done to so many other reviews I have read, and don't show up week after week, we will be pumping that gas out ourselves and charging them fees. This company needs to be shut down.

Recently ordered a tank fill-up and was billed without any notice of the number of gallons nor the price per gallon. I went into the office to find out I was being charged $4.79 per gallon. I asked if this was the price for every customer: "No-it is based on how much you use." Apparently, I am charged the highest tier because I use so little. Then I check with my mother, who uses 6 times the amount I do for heating and cooking: she is being charged $4.85 per gallon. My mother doesn't check the amount per gallon-she is elderly and simply pays the bill without question. So I have been overcharged, my mother has been overcharged, and I was lied to in the office.

I have been a customer of AmeriGas for many years. They used to be a very good company, and always held up their end of the deal. The last few years they have turned into one of the shadiest, greedy, scheming companies I have dealt with.

1st of all they have bumped the prices of the gas up to double and in some cases TRIPLE what the average going rate of gas is. I've shopped around to switch to a new company, and every single company I spoke to was appalled by the prices I have been charged, and they have all told me that they have seen a huge increase of new customers who have all left AmeriGas due to the exact same reasons. I have multiple homes, and all of them were with AmeriGas, I am currently down to just one tank with them, and will be switching once I use up the incredibly over-priced fuel that is currently in my tank.

This time I am going to call them to notify them that I have switched companies and I will be sending them an invoice for every day I have the tank on my property until they pick it up. I will only do this because of my latest experience with them. At one of my homes I switched to a new company, I called AmeriGas to let them know that I was ending service with them and they could come pick up the tank. They told me that they were not sure when they would get here, but it should be within the next 2 weeks. I personally moved their tank out to my driveway so it would be simple for the driver to just back up and grab it, instead of having to get it across the yard and through my gates. They picked up the tank a few days ago. Instead of a thank you for making our lives much easier letter, I received a bill of $59.99 for a service dispatch charge.

I immediately called them up and told them that I did all the work FOR them, and I will not be paying them for picking up their own tank. They have 0% chance of getting even 1 penny from me for picking up their tank. Like I said this next tank I have them pick up, I will send them a storage invoice for every day it is here. Also, every company I spoke with while shopping around told me that the hazmat fees you see on your bill are a scam, there is NO such thing as a hazmat fee. They have gone down hill so fast and so far that before long they will be out of business. They are not a monopoly like they seem to think that they are. We all have other options, and it looks like most of the customers they HAD are leaving them due to their greed and lack of service.

We used Heritage Propane for years until they were acquired by AmeriGas a couple years ago. The level of service has decreased significantly and the increase in prices are astronomical. AmeriGas has the audacity to charge almost $6.00 per gallon and add additional junk fees (over $20) without notice. In comparing alternatives, it's nice to find local/regional companies that charge $3 less per gallon and no junk fees. This was my last refill with AmeriGas.

Dropped after 21 years -- We've been an AmeriGas customer since we bought the house in Boca Raton in 1996. After making our last full payment of $329 last April, it was time for a refill this month. When I called (they never were good at regularly schedule fills) they suddenly had no record of our account, but were "going to look into it and get back to me." After three calls to get results of their findings, there was no return call from AmeriGas. They profess a commitment to customer service in their promos, but they have always been terrible at it. We switched to Florida Public Utilities for our propane and are off to a good start.

Not sure how this company gets away with price gouging. We were being charged $2.05 MORE on average per gallon than other companies in our area. Had to call and actually bug them to deliver when low and they always claimed there was a propane shortage. BS! Unhooked their tank and switched providers and they still won't come and retrieve their tank. Also sending us bills for rental on a service that we cancelled with them. Good luck getting that paid!!! I am sending them a certified letter and will be in turn sending them a bill for storage of their tank. Unreal be warned.

I miss V-1 propane. AmeriGas is so crooked. Price gouge big time. We need another propane company in Casper Wyoming. This company is the worst. Don't use AmeriGas!! On top of their propane costing more than other companies just got charged 36 dollars late charge when their gas is already overpriced! AmeriGas crooks.

I've used AmeriGas in Rollinsville, CO for almost three years. I depended on them for heating 9000 feet up in the mountains. It was a total nightmare. Initially, I was using their auto-fill option. One day, I noticed my propane was low, so I called into their Evergreen, CO office. Upon investigation, AmeriGas claimed I owed them $1,400 as they had been filling my tank during the winter. I found this strange, as I had been previously paying them monthly for a year and never had a balance. They also never sent invoices for any of these deliveries. Nonetheless, running low on propane, I paid them off and ordered 100 more gallons will-call.

They arrived on the determined delivery date and put the gas in the wrong tank, leaving the yellow slip on my door. The only trouble was, I didn't realize this at the time. That weekend, my gas ran out. They sent out a guy to put a few gallons in to hold me over on the delivery. Growing suspicious of the company due to the mistakes, I canceled the auto-fill option entirely and went to will-call orders. This is where things got really bad.

I asked the company for a billing statement showing the gas consumed and what tank it went into for that $1400 SNAFU. My reasoning being that if they messed up once and put it into the wrong tank, and I had to verify this, how many other times had they messed up? Could they have overcharged me? Well, I asked -- and the only problem is, here we are a year later and I am still waiting on that invoice. Just to repeat -- this company charged me $1,400, and refused to demonstrate that the debt was actually mine after being caught making an egregious error -- literally putting gas in the wrong propane tank.

Moving on to the will-call experience, the people who answer the phone in Evergreen, CO are the rudest people I've ever dealt with. They literally don't care if they make a clerical error and you run out of gas. They will make no exceptions, and you as the customer will have no recourse. For example, on January 6th of this year, I placed a propane order with them. I have phone records to prove it. Over ten days later, the delivery date lapses and I contact them. They had no record of my order at all. I am now down to around 20%, and the order is weeks out. Naturally, given that they made a mistake, it would make sense to expedite the delivery to my home, so I don't run out of propane in -10 degree weather. Not only did they refuse to do this, they were blatantly rude to me in the process. I don't understand how these people have jobs in customer service if they can't even do that politely.

Additionally, they randomly changed the prices of my propane on an order-by-order basis. Some months, my will-call for 100 gallons would be around $176, and others it would be around $250. I'm not sure if this is a normal part of their policy, but it seemed super shady. It really appeared like nobody who answered the phone at their Colorado offices had any idea of what was going on.

On top of that, the other times they were able to take the order, they would still mislead me on delivery times. The minimum time they would take is two weeks -- for a single delivery -- and they have a depot and a fleet of trucks 6 miles from my house. Most of the time, they just missed their estimated delivery dates. Again, no recourse if you're low on propane and need it faster, despite them being 6 miles away, they basically told me to go pound sand when I would call and ask for help.

Randomly, last month, they decided to change the minimum order amount for me. They now say I can no longer order 100 gallons "will-call," but instead I must order 200 gallons. This can be up to 500 bucks for me, and some tanks are 250 gallons max. They are saying you have to literally fill up your tank to get propane from them? Ridiculous. They are clearly trying to muscle me out as a customer. Well, I am not going down without a fight, and I will do my best see that this company pays for their abuses. I moved out of that house. All I have to focus on now is recovering my losses from this company. Whatever you do, do not use AmeriGas. Go through any other company. You will be ripped off. You will have no recourse as a customer, and these guys don't deserve your hard-earned money. Pathetic.

I was reading reviews on here and was recently in the same situation as another reviewer. I had called a few months ago to postpone deliveries until February just so I wouldn't have a bill and knew my tank would last until then. I was asked what date in feb., so I chose feb. 8. Well Feb. 12 rolled around, no delivery. I called on Feb. 13 no answer so I called back Feb. 14 - this is all to local office. I asked when I was getting a delivery. I was told my ticket was pulled, I should get a delivery this week. I told them I was on 10 percent and lady told me she would note that so they would know. So weekend rolls around and no delivery, I was on 7 percent by then and it was cold at night. I called on 20th but no answer.

I worked the entire next day and upon returning home on the 21st, there was ticket on my door, curled up by door knob, stating my tank was empty and they turned it off and I would have to call to have someone come out to turn back on and check things. I was furious. It was cold out, so I had to use electric heater for part of night. I called next morning complaining and was told if it is on 5 percent or below they have to turn it off... BUT no communication, no phone call, text, or email. Had I known that day I could have called to have it set up for someone to come out next day. They didn't have an exact time someone could come out the next afternoon. So I set it up for the following morning -- another cold night!! I was asked, "How about first thing tomorrow morning" and I said, "What time is that?" I was told about 8:30 and I said that was fine, even though I didn't want to get up early on my day off.

So I got up at 8 am and waited. 8:30 rolled around, no one there, 9 no one there! I called at 9:20 and was told that the driver's work day starts at 8 and they have to get equipment ready for their day and then they head out, I was definitely not told that the prior day!!! She said their morning runs were 8-12 noon! I was so mad. I could have slept later and was not told complete information the day before. Finally driver arrived around 10:10. Drivers are always nice and polite and friendly. He turned gas on and check stove and heat.

I only have had AmeriGas for 12 years because that is the company of the tank that was here when we moved here. I sent a message to corporate and they emailed me saying they sent the information to local and for them to contact me! I didn't want local to contact me -- corporate should do something about all of these issues! Such poor communication and undependable -- probably due to not enough workers, but that still shouldn't be the case. If short-handed, then they should say so and figure out ways to make service happen even it is extended hours -- Our local office closes at 4:30 WOW. Communication is the key, we are in the age of so much available methods, email, text, phone. And all I get is a piece of paper on my door, that could have gotten blown away and I would never have known anything!!! But they were fast in sending me an email the next day with notification stating that I had a new invoice!!!

After 20 years as a loyal customer, AmeriGas Georgetown, SC charged me 4.54 dollars a gallon for my propane fill. This is 2.04 dollars more per gallon than two different competitors. I have tried for two weeks to speak to the local and area management to discontinue my service to no avail. The national headquarters has taken my calls, but are powerless to assist me. I just want to quit AmeriGas service.

After reading several complaints from Consumer Affairs I see that dozens of people have had similar problems dealing with AmeriGas. It seems they don't care.

I have had several problems with this company. Have contacted my local office and customer care, am promised that there will be a solution that management will contact me. After being a customer for 11 years with a perfect payment rate I would thing that common decency would at least warrant a courtesy call. Here is a list of the some of the problems we have had with this company.

First the meter on THEIR tank is not send sending information back to the company, so instead of fixing the problem (what an unusual concept) they decided to just fill us up whenever they were in the area so we were getting filled even when the tank was at 60% (and of course getting charged the delivery fee) and always right before our contract is up eating up any accrued extra of the payments and of course raising the monthly payment. This led to us requesting a "will call" delivery system, instead of them just fixing the problem that is in their tank. At this point I started looking around for another company and found out that the local company was 1.29 per gallon less.

After contacting AmeriGas several times they agreed to charge us at a reduced rate rather than lose the customer (this rate was still .20 cents higher than the competitor). However, this resulted in them charging us at the original rate of 3.29 pr gallon and us making several calls each month "reminding" them of the contract that we both signed. This went on for 3 months till they finally "corrected" the problem. If we were not on top of our bills they would have kept charging the higher rate at 1.09 pr gallon. Average difference of 300.00+ per fill. Now, February in the Pocono mountains and of course cold. We call them at 32% and were told originally they would be there later in the week.

At the end of the week, no delivery, so more calls were placed. We were then told 7-10 days but not to worry they would be there the next day. No delivery and told they would be there Monday. Monday more calls, no delivery. Tuesday more calls, no delivery. After 5 calls to the Customer Care line (More like the "I don't" care line) we were promised that 1.) management would call to speak to me or my wife. 2.) They would call to give us an approximate time for delivery. It is now 1 PM and have not received any calls so have called them again. Now being told they will be here within hour. Not placing much trust in their word. To me it feels as this complaint means nothing because they really just don't care. My hope is that someone reads this and the dozens of other complaints and makes the wise decision to find a different provider.

The reason I'm even signing in is I just got back from town and was told they can't fill my 7.5 propane tanks? Because my tanks were over 10 years old. This is the most stupid and unfair thing I've ever heard??? I have never ever heard about any propane tank explode or??? I just threw one away because the valve quit working??? I want to tell anyone responsible for this stupid idea ever done. Please make sure someone sees this and hopefully does something about it???

The price I paid for gas was always over a dollar more than the competition, I finally cancelled the service or lack of. I was charged 59.99 to return my rented tank that I had for 3 years and during that time I paid almost 300.00 in rental fees, what a rip off.

This is the worst company in sonoma county. I am a 79 year old senior, my bill is paid and my tank is about empty. They will not fill for 5 days. I phoned last week, and told them I needed a fill and they didn't come. I phoned again yesterday and told them it was about out, they don't care. My tank will be out by tomorrow. They gorge on the price. They are the highest cost in this area by a substantial amount. For a senior living on social security of $925 dollars a month these people are evil. They should be put out of business. They also lie about the phone calls. They make no mention of the call I made last week.

We just discontinued AmeriGas service. Here's why: After 15 years of propane price per gallon rising to $3.60, we called for a refill at the 20% level on January 1, 2017. Today is January 10, below freezing at night here, and no sign of AmeriGas so far. We ran out of propane 4 days ago. They say our delivery is still 7-10 days out. We are not kids, both seniors. So we called a competitor yesterday, who sent someone out this morning, and scheduled our new tank and service for next week at $1.59 per gallon. Now AmeriGas wants a hefty fee to remove their rental tank. Bite me.

We woke up to find our fuel ran out on a Saturday morning which happened to be on the New Year's weekend. I called the emergency line to be told since my account was past due, I would have to deal with my local branch. Of course they were closed for the holiday for a three day weekend. I even offered to pay over the phone so I could get heat in my home. Too Bad...would only repeated I need to deal with the local branch. So for the next three days we went without any heat.

Called on Tuesday as soon as they opened. I paid them my past due to be told I would have to wait another day. The time frame given to me was 8-12 the next day. Next day - 11:45 no show so far. I called my local office to be told "Sorry but you are lucky to have been squeezed onto the delivery list for today." I am apparently #18 on the list. Why give me a time frame when you have no intention to show up in that time frame? So while I was voicing my concerns and complaint, the young lady who I was talking to though she put me on hold while getting the manager for me to talk to...well she forgot to put me on hold and I heard everything she said about me. Horrible customer service. Why pay all this money when this company really can not care less if they are providing good customer service or if I have heat in my house! I believe it is time to shop around.

I am on an automatic replenishment program with Amerigas. I lived at my house for over 10 years. I ran out of propane this summer and had to get an emergency shipment. I noticed my tank was getting low (under 30%) so I called them to let them know (which I shouldn't have to do because they should be forecasting my demand -- but I did anyway). They said they would expedite my shipment. They came yesterday, filled up my tank, but they didn't turn on the gas to my house because it was below 2%. They didn't notify me, so I woke up this morning with no heat, no hot water, etc. I called them to find out what happened and asked why they didn't notify me. They said they left a "paper", which I still haven't seen. No phone call. No email, supposedly they left a paper document somewhere. Are we living in the 21st century or what?? I have a 3 year old with no heat this morning. Nice Job Amerigas.

Employee promised delivery on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - offered only 8 AM to 5 PM; originally called for delivery on December 19. When I called 4:30 PM on Wednesday told 6-7 people ahead of me but that I was definitely on schedule for delivery. No delivery. When I called this morning, told I was scheduled for delivery on 12/30! I pointed out that wasn't what was promised on Tuesday or Wednesday. The person who answered my call, then the supervisor, insisted that I was mistaken and the problem was mine. After 18 years of being a customer, I told the supervisor they offered no service. Last year I waited one month for a delivery. Needless to say, I'm in the process of locating another company for propane service. Amerigas is zero in customer service in my experience and opinion. BEWARE!

Awful company!! Had them for only 2 months as a new homeowner, the tank was already through them. Tank was down to 15% which I get you're supposed to call at 30% - I was unaware of. They put me down for a delivery and said I should be okay until someone delivered. Nope! Thankfully we have a wood burner to heat the house somewhat! They told me up to 7 business days to deliver (online it listed 7 days for the delivery, not specifying business days) by the 5th day they still did not have a driver scheduled and no clue yet when we would get propane!

Meanwhile it's been highs of 20 degrees!! Argued and argued and the lady just kept stating they tell customers to call at 30% and it was in the welcome packet. I told her customers are supposed to be a priority - meanwhile we have no heat! And since we ran out they were going to charge a $110 leak check fee on top of filling it! I terminated my contract early and ate the $150 early termination fee. I got a local company to bring a tank out and fill the same day! DO NOT USE AMERIGAS!!!

Price gouging - other local providers charge less than half. Called to be on auto-fill, on two tanks and they failed to come out on one of them. Consequently our tank went empty, then by the time the tank was filled the price was significantly higher. Upon investigation I found they are charging more than twice what other local providers are charging. Stay small, stay local, stay accountable.

AmeriGas Company Profile