2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

3.1/5 (379 ratings)

About AmeriGas

AmeriGas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: June 16, 2021

June 15 I called my local Amerigas to reorder gas for my tank. They quoted me three times that the cost was $228 plus change. I got an email receipt a few minutes later for $328 plus change. I called again, and realized that I was not talking with the local number on the web page that I had dialed for Amerigas in Charlottesville, VA, but rather I was routed to a centralized call center in Ohio.

The call center for AG kept interrupting me as I explained the error they had made. By the way, I was polite and did not raise my voice. After all, this person did not make the mistake. The second AG staff admitted that the number inputted by the original clerk was an error, and then told me that the bill should have been $300. What? Wait. So follow along: They first said three times the bill on my charge card would be $228, Then sent me a receipt charging $100 more. And then when I inquired on the next call said the cost was really $300.

Appalling, yes. But there is more. I had to continue with the second service agent at AG for several minutes to see if there was to get me a supervisor. She said yes four times, but each time would continue to talk, and not finding a supervisor. She admitted at one point she was not sure one was available. Dear God, it was a circus act, and an expensive one at that. Finally she found a supervisor who came on, apologized for the error in billing, and said the charge of $328 was correct. I asked how they operated a successful company by changing their price with each communication? Of course I was told they “understood my frustration.” Ug, NO. I was assured that they would have a person from the Charlottesville office call me to work this out. 24 hours have passed and no call.

Look, Amerigas, we all make a mistake now and then, but three different prices within the hour is not a mistake, it is poor management and poor supervision, especially when the supervisor says he has no authority to do anything, and will pass my complaint along to high ups. Moreover, it is a Terrible way to treat a customer of four years. I expect better of a business that I pay to deliver a needed product. What sort of operation is it, by the way that says on their webpage, Charlottesville office, no entry for customers? Do you want us to drive to Ohio? Come one, act like a real company with franchises who have real managers at each local facility to deal with customers. I want someone to work this out who is a local contact, not a faceless person 400 miles away, and who has no ability to resolve the issue. Tik tok, tik tok. I am waiting.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I called to ask how I would know when to call for delivery, as the tank they brought had no gauge on it. The girl said I would need to pay for a service call and have a gauge installed. I then asked if instead of calling, what would happen if I changed to auto fill. She said they wouldn't know when to fill the tank without a gauge, I would still have to pay and have a gauge installed. I asked to talk with a supervisor and none ever called me. They did come fill the tank without me asking and didn't put a gauge on.

I was pretty unhappy and called a local company, they agreed to take over my propane service. I called Amerigas and asked to have the tank removed and explained my dissatisfaction. They picked up their tank and sent me a bill for $258. To remove the tank, and for the delivery of fuel I didn't ask for, hazardous waste removal, etc. I'm pretty unhappy overall. I just called them about it and the man said he would have someone call me back in the next 72 hours...

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2021

We started out with a local propane company that sold to Amerigas. Amerigas charges for everything tank rentals if you don't use enough gas to suit them. So after a few 200 rental fees we decided to go with a local company, let the tank empty, we used hot plates and clothes lines for a week before the new people could come out and set a new tank. Switched out, it took Amerigas two weeks to come and get their tank, then I receive this bill for 149.99 for Tank PickUp, seriously, they tried to suggest that it was for a pump out! Think long and hard before signing with them.

Original review: June 5, 2021

In August of 2020, we gave Amerigas in Holly Hill, FL, $6000 as a down payment for the purchase and installation of a generator. It took over 7 months and countless phone calls on our part for this to be completed. At one point they misplaced our order. Every single time something was supposed to happen, it did not. Five different times I stayed home all day and no one came; no one called. Subcontractors would arrive without having been given proper information, such as the fact that an old propane tank needed to be removed before the new tank could be installed. We have had two large homes built in less time than it took Amerigas to install this generator! Once it was finally completed, the bill was significantly over the original proposal. For example, they charged us for an extra delivery of propane that never occurred. I called the office twice a week for over a month to try and get the billing corrected. The entire experience was a nightmare!

Original review: April 15, 2021

My Mom bought a new condo where the meter was locked off when the prior owner cancelled the service and AmeriGas has not been able to unlock this. We have now called 4 times in over a week to turn the service on and neither the customer service nor emergency service departments can find the earlier requests to unlock the meter OR provide an ETA on when the meter can be unlocked. In addition, we have tried twice to have me added to the account and this request keeps being dropped and on the 4th call today we again confirmed my authorization and notes to unlock the meter were dropped again. There is no way to get to a supervisor or escalate any issues - just a runaround that everyone is working from home - and that the meter department doesn't have anyone to talk to. Amerigas also does not provide meter work order or confirmation numbers to prove you called.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I have been a customer for over ten years and service continues to drop. I requested a gas delivery online and was informed of a delivery date window of 26 March and 8 April. Mind you when I called I was immediately told for $300 this could be expedited. Now 9 April no communication via any method. I call to inquire and I am told I am on the schedule for 10 April but that could change. If the customer does something wrong there are consequences but the provider can do as they please and toy with people plans. Bull! I plan on asking them to remove their take and going with another carrier. I only gave a 2 because there was a time...

Original review: April 8, 2021

I called AmeriGas today to talk with a customer advocate about our delivery and payment. They took the payment 12 days ago out of our checking and still haven’t delivered the gas. The customer advocate told me they eliminated the local call centers and just have a corporate call center. When I asked for the delivery date of my gas he had no idea when the delivery was going to be made. We are basically out of gas. When I asked why they took the money from our account they said we had to prepay due to a write off on our account. I asked what the write down on the account was for and he told me 23 cents. I spent $1,200 on gas last year. I asked if they sent us a bill for 23 cents and he said no, yet I am on a credit hold?

It gets more interesting. I asked if he could fix the issue and he told me only if we get a credit check by giving him my social security number which I wouldn’t do. There are only two companies that deliver propane so they don’t need to treat customers very well. Some of the worst customer policies I have seen in a long time and their customer advocates is a great marketing tool but they don’t solve problems for customers.

Original review: April 3, 2021

We bought a house that needed major renovations. It came with 2 Amerigas tanks already installed so we thought we’d give them a try & use that company. What a mistake. After setting up an account, & giving them almost $600, we were told we would have a delivery within 7-10 business days. 3 weeks later we started getting emails & a phone call saying their deliveries may be a few days late due to weather. A week and a half after that I get a random call in middle of day saying driver was 10 minutes away from making delivery and was making sure I was there. When told house was under construction & that we were not informed we had to be there he said he’d check things out and call back.

A week after that, still no gas and no phone call. I started making calls to find out what was going on, especially since it is now February & we need heat in building in order to Sheetrock & paint. The first 2 times I called they had no record of me as a customer and asked that I call back. Numerous calls later & hours of being on hold & transferred, no one in company can explain why we haven’t had a delivery or when we would get one. Everyone said they would look into it and get back to us. Well, order was put it in January and it is now last week of March. Not only has no one called back to explain but someone from Amerigas has since then, been to property and completely cut the connection from tanks to the building.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I went several times with no propane delivery while on auto delivery, freezing temps in NH. I had to change companies to get propane. I was on hold for 1.5 hrs then someone picked up and hung up. Another 1.5 hrs. on hold. They can not give delivery date. They charged me for 2 service calls they never performed at $80 per. They double charged me for fill ups, two days apart. How in the heck do you refill a tank in 2 days in a vacant low heated apartment? FRAUD!

I called many times to dispute service fees and false charges. I wait 1 - 1.5 hrs on hold to either get hung up on, they say it is resolved then send a bill again, or they say someone will contact me to settle disputes which never happens. They say this is going to collections, I have perfect credit (almost 800). This company is so bad, should not be allowed to operate. I already filed at Better Business Bureau and will be contacting State Utilities Commision for help. I have about 16-20 hrs on the phone with AmeriGas and am so frustrated!

Original review: March 24, 2021

The business practices are lacking integrity at the Amerigas on Salinas Rd. I was a Santa Cruz county resident until mid October. Amerigas has had some shady and deceptive practices throughout my business with them, yet when I tried to switch companies, the Covid limitations didn’t allow other propane companies to start new service that required entering homes. Amerigas overcharges for propane and is the most expensive in comparison to all of the others in the county, even with being a member of SPUG. **SPUG is an organization that allows you to get propane at wholesale or close to wholesale price—check it out regardless what company you go with.**

When I moved, Amerigas informed me that their policy is that they will send someone to pick up the tank and then a refund check will be written for the gas returned. I was told mine was $377. *Just a note* before I moved, I called three times and all three people told me the same policy before I scheduled to have my tank picked up. After months of being on hold (5.5 hours over 4 months) and receiving avoidant customer service, I was told they do not give refunds and that’s that. On top of it, they tried to charge me for the tank rental in 2021 that I no longer have, but after being on hold for 2 hours, that part was resolved.

Before I walk away from this situation for my sanity sake, I just wanted to spread awareness of these really poor and deceptive business practices. I filed a complaint on BBB, Amerigas did not reply, and found many others complaining of the same misleading situation. Amerigas then turns around and resells the propane. If I was informed accurately about this, I would have left the propane for the new resident to use. We are still in a pandemic and funds are hard to come by so to me, this is just stealing from and misleading consumers. You can find more info on this by referring to BBB or Yelp, as well as any google search of Amerigas and see that they are taking advantage of customers. I’m just one who prefers to use my voice to warn others.

Other issues I experienced over the 2.5 years I did business with them:

-My tank ran out of propane despite being on autofill.
    -They overcharge at least $1 per gallon compared to other places. When I asked them not to fill my tank and do a partial fill due to being out of work due to shutdowns, they filled my tank full anyway and when I fought for a discount, it was minimal.

-They have NEVER return an email, even in regards to billing.

There are also a handful of other ways they try to charge fees or rent that are out of integrity. Read the small print, and even if you do, they’ll try to nickel and dime you. I’m honestly surprised they haven’t received a class action lawsuit yet. Amerigas lacks accountability, integrity, and responsible customer service.

AmeriGas Company Information