Amerigas

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Amerigas in Whitewater, WI is a disappointing company to work with. Their receptionist is nasty. Samantha is usually in a terrible mood and when, on rare occasion she is friendly on the phone, she doesn't record information properly. Furthermore, the employees often don't come when scheduled. They make excuses such as "the truck has broken down," or "I can't get the truck to the tank," a tank they have been servicing for years. They leave a note on the door and say they will reschedule, but you have to call Samantha numerous times and wait weeks to months to have them come back. We recently went with a new propane company and Amerigas had to come pick up their tank.

Once again it took much longer than they told us and they waited for a day after it rained. They made us sign a damage waiver and promised to not pick up the tank if the ground was too wet. Interestingly enough, once the damage waiver was signed, they showed up on the wettest day possible and ruined the yard. There are not many other propane companies that service this area, so I assume that is why they get away with this kind of poor business behavior.

Had a tank installed and everything OK for a couple of years. Then they started adding charges (Tank Service fee, Tank inspection fee, Valve inspection, etc.) on top of the rental fee and stated boosting the price of Propane. You are locked in with a contract and have no recourse. Final insult was when the price of Propane went to nearly $6 (everyone else charging a bit over $2) and the fees and cost of propane was nearly $900 a year for under 100 gallons. These people are blood sucking vultures!

Got a bill for October at 4.568 a gallon when the average is 2.82 a gallon. When I call they said, "Mistake. Sorry," but I don't believe them. This goes on all the time. Also NEVER sign a contract with them or you are going to have to pay more until it expires. Bad people, bad company. You can't trust them. Looking for some else.

Amerigas came and topped off my tank that had already been filled by another company (I own my tank). I never ordered the gas and when I called to talk to them about the order I was told I was on a forecast program. I told the rep I never signed up for a forecast program and had just had my tanked filled at 99 cents a gallon from H&H Gas and Amerigas charged me $2.689 per gallon, plus $10.59 for a Hazmat fee and a $4.72 Fuel Recovery fee. That's more than a 260% increase not counting the additional fees. I have access to the real price of propane and during the month of September the real price was $0.39 per gallon.

This is price gouging at its worst. When I told them to remove the gas I was told they are not able to do that. While the rep was very nice on the phone and said he would see what he could do to adjust the price, the fact is that Amerigas is filling tanks without any authorization and the consumer is stuck paying for the gas. We have multiple propane gas suppliers in this area and all of them are right around the $0.99 per gallon cost except for Amerigas. Don't buy gas from these people!

We just purchased our home about 2 months ago and the propane tank was sold to us as part of the deal since the sellers owned it. When we started calling local propane companies for quotes Amerigas employee told us that, "Oh, that tank is ours and we refunded the previous owners for the unused propane, so now you have to pay us for it". Needless to say I asked that they provide documentation about the tank lease (plus the serial number for me to verify) and the refund (btw, their own website says they issue no refunds). I had to call 3 days in a row to remind them.

Well, today, day 3, they finally said, "We dug through everything and we cannot find either document, so we'll just assume that the tank is yours..." Now, I did not feel like being nasty, so I just said thank you, have a nice day, but I wonder how many people will bite the bait and just give them the money. Luckily we have plenty of other providers in the area to work with, so of course I will not be using Amerigas... EVER!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amerigas?

I informed AmeriGas in July that I that after about 15 yrs, I was discontinuing their services and needed to have their tanks removed. I was then informed that there would be a removal fee and I won't be reimbursed for the gas remaining in the tanks. I have 2 tanks which are presently more than half full. Approximately 100 gallons. Which I paid for at approximately $3 per gallon. Today, I called inquiring about the pickup. I was told that they were awaiting a call from me to remove the tanks. I told the representative that I never changed my mind about the removal, I was going to call back to speak to someone about my disagreement about their recently revised policy changes and unreasonable charges. Which I did to no avail.

I have since then seen numerous postings about disgruntled customers who have been taken advantage of by AmeriGas. I have also fallen into this category. I feel like I've been BULLIED AND ROBBED AND RAPED! This company is retrieving approximately $300 in free gas which they will resell to another unfortunate soul. They have stored their tanks in my yard rent free for 6 weeks. It is a shame that companies like AmeriGas continue to grow at the expense of their customers. They need to be stopped. I'm sure there is some law that works in behalf of the poor little people like me.

After paying continuing steep propane prices for AmeriGas, on time and in full; our original company was taken over by them, I've now gone to another company. Since then I've had nothing but the run around and lies as to when they're going to pick up their and it's going on 4 months and nothing is being done!

A driver of my original propane company warned me that Amerigas was buying the company and my bills would skyrocket. Well it was true - after I had Amerigas I was charged over $4 per gallon! I don't know how they stay in business, they overcharge for propane and add a bunch of fees to the bill. Then when you complain about price and tell them you are changing companies they rely on an intimidating phone call to try and keep you. A lady called me and said I would have to pay $400 to dig up their tank for them or buy the tank for $200 + tax!! (which is funny because a couple years prior I asked to buy the tank and they said "we don't have any for sale" --- dah! It's already in the ground on my property!)

Needless to say I have switched companies and am now paying 1/2 the price! (and it's locked in for the year!) And to show you how well they keep up with stuff, after initially turning a driver away when I decided to change companies, I got that harassing phone call a week later, then a few days after that (luckily I was working outside my house) I see an Amerigas truck start backing up my driveway to deliver gas!! If I wasn't there he would have filled it up! I told him I no longer use Amerigas and he said, "You're still on my list."

When Amerigas came to remove my 78 year old mother's propane tank, they demolished her air condition unit which was 3 feet from the tank. No one in the house witnessed it so of course... The fact that she no longer had air that day it had to be vandalism, says Amerigas. When called they stated THAT could never happen. (Obviously they don't live in the real world where anything can happen.) So the workers of course didn't go back and report it, due to possibly losing their job. These people overcharge their customers by price gouging [Reason why my Mom is connecting to gas] so they vandalize their customer's property and never assume responsibility for it. This vandalism cost my Mother 3,000.00 dollars and they could care less. Pathetic people at the Lorain county facility...

OH YEAH!!! "If they did hit it there would be dents in the metal which would not damage the unit" says the uneducated secretary answering the phone. (There is no metal surrounding the air conditioner.) STAY AWAY FROM AMERIGAS. THEY ARE CROOKS. I RATE THEM -100 and they charged her 42.00 to pick up the tank.

Amerigas is a horrible company. Moved into a new house with a VERY old propane tank that did not have a working readout of the amount of propane left. They overcharge if they lease you a tank. We asked for new tank but they would never respond... UNTIL we put in new tank with new company and then OF COURSE they offered to put one in. They call repeatedly if you don't pay within a day and a half and all of the correspondence you get from them is "we want your money"... cheats.

I believe the tank did not work b/c they did not want it to work so they could always say it was empty or near empty. I do not believe we got the amount of propane they charged us for!! How could we tell?? Thus when they picked up the tanks they said one was empty but how could it be empty when we never experienced that it was empty -- continually using propane for our oven/stove. Interesting...so rebated 96 gallons on the propane tank for our shop. 120 gallon tank --- gave us 96 gallons and ZERO for the big tank for our house which could not have been empty!!!

It had not been that long since the 500 gallon tank was filled and weather was good so the majority of the use for it was hot water tank and oven/stove. Guess we must have used 400 gallons worth of propane on oven/stove & hot water tank. Magically it went to zero propane the day they picked it up. If it truly had no propane in it then it must have been leaked!!! I FEEL CHEATED. I'd never recommend them...never go back.

I just finished talking with Amerigas to have a summertime delivery of propane gas for a 100 gallon tank which I am being told is 50 gallons. @$3.42 per gallon = $171.85. When asked why there was a minimum delivery I was told that customers were asking for delivery of much less than 50 gallons and as he said because of a few "BAD APPLES" they now require a minimum delivery of propane in my case because of its size.

In reply to the insult that he paid to you and me, I told him "it goes with the territory and a minimum purchase should not be required". It's my understanding that the market both in oil and propane are awash in oversupply and that prices should be dropping, but Amerigas in order to compensate for the price drop and to maintain profit margins they are requiring minimum deliveries of propane. By what authority do they operate... Is there a law allowing a public utility? Such as Amerigas to do such a thing. If there is there should not be. But nothing will change either by pressure from Consumer Affairs or ANY of our elected officials so why do I bother... Is anyone there? Is anyone care? Or if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it fall does it make a noise? Probably not!

My experience with this company has been a horrific one. My error in this is that I didn't write a review sooner. Being in the customer service myself, I give companies the benefit of the doubt when I deal with them personally. Big mistake there! My involvement began when I had my home built in 2007. We didn't know much about propane or propane companies. My suggestion is to do your research. There are plenty of good companies out there and Aero Energy has been head and shoulders above over Amerigas in every way possible. The Amerigas I am having an issue with is located in White Hall, MD. So, they installed their tanks when I built my house and I used them for propane until sometime in 2014 when I decided to shop prices. I started researching prices and began to realize I was being ripped off between $2 to almost $3 per gallon.

So, I signed up with Aero Energy and they are a reputable company. I have nothing but good experiences with them since the change. All I had to do was send them a letter that I own the tanks to sign up with them. When we built the house, my wife and I discussed this. I remember saying, "When you lease you are stuck with their terms and conditions. When you own you have more freedom." It is just the standard. So, on May 30th, 2014 I received my first delivery from Aero Energy. So, one year passes after I stopped using their and I hear nothing from Amerigas until April 30th, 2015. I get an invoice for tank rentals for the amount of $140.98 and this was the first rental invoice after 7 years of having the tanks we had EVER seen. My wife and I were confused, so I call the office and ask questions. It was a civilized conversation and the gentleman says we are leasing and he has the paperwork in front of him.

So, I ask for a copy and he emails a copy of the contract because I knew this did not seem or feel right. First of all, the information was wrong. They have me down for one 1,000 gallon tank, when I actually have two. You would think they would know what they installed? Then I look at the lease agreement and notice that nobody signed it. My wife nor I signed it, and neither did a rep from Amerigas. What? How can we have a lease agreement without signatures to make it an agreement? I also tried to locate proof that we purchased our tanks. We had nothing with all the other papers we saved when we built the house and my wife is meticulous about these things. However, this didn't surprise me because I doubt we ever got a copy of anything. When this gentleman sent these documents, it was the first time either my wife or I saw them. Their documentation on the facts has been atrocious from the beginning.

From there, I proceeded to check online and ask friends about them and everything I found was negative. I had to dig to find anything positive and that is nationwide. A good friend of mine told us they did the same thing to them and threatened to rip out his tanks. Their situation got ugly and that is all I will say about their situation because it is not place to discuss other people's business. But the conversation lead me to contact a lawyer on May 12th, 2015 to discuss this situation and my legal rights. I gave him all the documentation and I had them send a legal letter with a deadline to respond. I still have all this documentation in my possession. The deadline for them was June 19th, 2015 or we were going to consider this matter dropped. We never received a response from Amerigas or their attorney, so we thought it was over. Wrong!!!

I just received another notice dated 6/7/16 for $156.88. It does not say rental, however I do not have any outstanding invoices with these people, therefore I can only assume it is the same garbage they tried to pull last year. That is why I am filing a formal complaint with every agency I can think of. I will post on every social media sources until they leave me and my family alone once and for all. Since I thought this issue was resolved, I didn't file any complaints prior or post anything on social media. However, I am seeing this as harassment, and falsified documents. It is not even about the money. I could pay the rental fees and just be done with it and continue on my merry way, but it is the principle and how they operate. Their customer service stinks and they do whatever they have to cover their butts.

If you are researching propane companies, stay clear of Amerigas!!! They rip you off, they are dishonest, and they are so combative when you catch them doing shady stuff. I am a private type of person and I do not like going this route, but this company has left me no choice in this matter. This is the first of many postings about my experience with this awful company and my first ever about any company for that matter! All I want is for them to stop harassing me! When they stop, I will stop!

I just got off the phone with one of Amerigas' representatives, and she was one of the most awful rude people I have had the displeasure of speaking to. I stopped doing business with Amerigas last year because of their poor customer service, and requested to have their tanks removed from my properties. 6 months later the tanks are still there. So, we called to remind Amerigas to come and get them off our property. Now I have some awful woman calling me and crabbing at me as if this is somehow my fault that their company is run so poorly. Their records are not even accurate for what equipment they have at our property. I have experience dealing with 6 different gas companies, and theirs is by far the worst run. Worst customer service I have ever encountered in 20 years.

June 2016, Santa Cruz, CA - checking the Federal gov report on residential LP prices shows 2.016 per gallon. Why is Amerigas charging me 3.721? Not able to price shop because they own the tank that sits on the property. There's no free market in that. They're cheating people 'cause they feel they can, and without consequence. Amerigas - robber barons. Think a letter or two to Congress is in order.

I received a postcard for a summer fill @ .99 gal. I called to schedule. When I received the bill for the 28.9 gal. fill, they added on a HazMat Fee of $10.59, Fuel Recovery Fee of $4.28, and Will Call Fee of $4.99 for a total of $48.44. Fees added to almost double the fuel cost. Unbelievable!!!

"Thank you for calling Amerigas, where customer service and safety are our number one priority"... is the on hold message that you hear. It could not be further from the truth. I am a tenant in a house, I moved in on Feb on this year and I have had to put out nearly $2000 since. First a bogus $500 deposit, then a $250 safety inspection (which had already been done, but they denied delivery until it was done...again), and a $200 charge to hook up a stove which my landlord paid...but then I got billed for it (trying to scam double payment).

But the biggest slap in the face just occurred. I was shocked to see that the tank was at 15%, since it has only been used for cooking and hot water since I have not needed heat for awhile. I called to set up delivery on Wed 05/25 and was first told that I had to pay for it in advance (which I never had to do since I moved here, I was always billed). They had me up against a wall and they were unwilling to budge, nor explain why and how the account switched to COD, so I was strong armed into having to pay for this upfront.

That following Friday, I noticed that they had not shown yet, which is odd because they have not yet once taken more than 2 days to fill the tanks before. I called and was rudely told that "because of the holiday weekend, it is taking longer to get delivery that it will not completed until sometime the following week". I had a house full of people expected to arrive that Sat, and now was forced to cancel for fear that it would run out from cooking.

Flash forward to today, Thursday June 2, they still have not shown. The tank is now at 2%. I had to call their 800 customer service line to be told that it will take 10 business days for them to deliver. I explained that the tanks are very close to being completely empty and he was willing to expedite the delivery for an additional $300 PLUS $100 for after hours delivery. I have never been treated like this before from a company that exclaims that customer service is their priority. And I just saw a truck drive by as I type this. Stay away from this company, all they care about is draining the cash out of people from every orifice.

Been with the company several years. Always higher rates. Now I need to move and they want to charge me $180 to pick up tank and not give any credit for 40% gas left. Big rip off!

I used propane until three years ago. Amerigas in Garner, NC was the provider. The last year of service was even more frustrating than the prior years. Our service plan had them fill our tank without us calling so we would always have heat. They lost track of our account somehow and let the propane run out. I paid for an HVAC service visit to discover this. After my call to Amerigas they sent someone out to place a lock on my tank but did not supply propane for two days, as was their policy.

My wife and celebrated when, a year later, we were able to tie into a new natural gas line from the new neighborhood nearby. No more Amerigas to make us fussy. Then a year after we discontinued service they began billing us for monthly tank rental... out of the blue. I called the office and asked to speak to a manager. I was told I would receive a call back. I did not get a call back so I sent a formal complaint with documentation to the NC Consumer Affairs Division. Within 60 days the Consumer Affairs sent a legal notice to Amerigas to cease billing. Nothing for almost two years and now... They're back at it! Amerigas is sending me threatening letters again. They are unethical.

They are the worst. My gas supplier H&H was bought by them and ever since it's been a nightmare. The thing they really do efficiently is process your payment. I called them when I ran out of gas - which essentially means I can't use my stove or my dryer. Yeah, I know. It's one of those things that goes right under the radar when you have a 200 lbs tank. In any event, I called them and scheduled a delivery. At first, I told them I'd pay them cash on delivery, they said their drivers can't take cash (I wonder why). Then I gave them a debit card number and they processed the payment right then - before delivery. Needless to say, the next day they did not deliver any propane.

In addition to their terrible service, they've sent me to collection for a service they didn't even do. It was a billing error on their side. When I got their notice, I called them and they admitted their error - which is nice, but it really doesn't help me, the damage has been done. If you have one of their tanks, get rid of it. Go to someone else. They would almost have to be better.

I bought my home approximately over a month ago. I contacted AmeriGas over two weeks ago a couple of times to have them pick up the propane tank that was sitting on my property. They told me that they would pick it up and still have the propane tank obstructing my construction. I called and told them that it was delaying my demolition work and said they will pick it up and still there. This company is very unreliable and unprofessional.

We moved into a house with an Amerigas tank in place about 3 years ago. Since the tank was empty, we called Amerigas to open an account. We paid a tank deposit & the cost of the first fill. However, the driver explained he could not connect the tank because the service dept needed to come do that. After 6 months of repeated calling, we were entering winter and NEEDED the heat. I couldn't wait anymore & hear any more excuses. I found a new company who came & hooked us up with a new tank right away. I let Amerigas know they needed to come pick up their tank.

Every month now, for 2 YEARS, they have come to "top off" the disconnected tank. But they couldn't send someone to pick up the tank! It JUST got picked up yesterday, 2 years later. They are now claiming we never paid a deposit, or for the initial gas delivery! Really? You just gave us free gas? They never billed us. If we never paid, it would be in collections by now. We never received a bill because we paid when it was delivered. We are now digging through our bank records to find the cancelled check so we can demand a refund. Amerigas screwed up in every single way. I've never dealt with such incompetence in my life.

I ran out of gas on 01-06-2016 while they were getting ready to refill my tank. They billed me for 200 gallons @ $3.19 cents per gallon. I sent a letter to the Customer Care center and the local office in North Myrtle Beach, S.C. asking them to pick up their tank after 02/09/2016. They told me they had used the wrong formula and reduced my price to $2.29/gallon. I called other distributors and they are delivering to me for $1.75/gallon. I had their tank disconnected on Tuesday 2/09/2016. Their tank is still sitting in my @ 50% capacity. I agreed to pay for any gas I used since my fill up. I called last week and asked them to remove their tank. No response.

For years I paid astronomical prices for propane from Amerigas. My most recent bill was at $4.24/gallon. So I called Foster and they informed me that their price is $1.89. So Amerigas is charging more than DOUBLE. I went into the Amerigas office in Charlottesville, pointed out the much lower prices at Tiger and Foster's, and they reduced my bill, although it was still more expensive than Foster's and Tiger. I have been doing this for every delivery for about a year. My new bill was still $100 more than I'd be paying from the other suppliers.

I am sick of this process - begging for a lower price. I offered to buy my tank from them for $500 (a price I know others have paid). They said that the price was $1400. I spoke to Foster's (they are SO nice and reasonable!). Apparently many people are asking to buy their tanks due to the recent HUGE bills, so they are trying to make it prohibitive to do so.

So you know what happens when you run out of gas? They charge you 80 dollars to come turn on your stove calling it a "line check". They literally turn the stove on and charge you 80.00 for the crime of running out of gas. Wow. That scam is second only to adding sodium to bottled water.

Due to high prices and service charges we changed companies. Now I get charged for them to pick up their tank. Called them. They told to read the terms that they sent out in December. Just a scam.

This company consistently charges three times more than any other company. They train their employees that price is never the reason they leave but when it's 3.00 higher than anywhere else it's the DANG price. I've been told that their price is higher because they offer all these services and guaranteed delivery. They can't even stand behind that because my local office doesn't even have drivers or service people. They all quit and no one wants to work for them. They can not justify their prices. Yeah you can complain to the State Attorney General but nothing actually happens. They don't fix the problem. I think we should all band together and form a class action lawsuit against them in federal court. Maybe then the government will do something about them trying to monopolize the industry because they are buying out all the competition. Monopolies are illegal and it's about time somebody does something about this ** company.

Despite our auto-delivery contract, AmeriGas did not deliver for a month. When this resulted in us running out of fuel (no heat, no ability to prepare hot food) right in the teeth of the winter's worst snowstorm, AmeriGas refused to make any sort of emergency delivery, or, in fact, to do anything for us at all until Monday morning, period. That leaves a family of four with two young children to freeze and starve for more than two full days, contract notwithstanding. I will be initiating a lawsuit as soon as the courthouse opens. Please do not give this company your business.

I called Amerigas three days ago to let them know we were getting low on propane. They had not come in four months which was unusual, and we were down around ten gallons. (We use it for hot water and stove only). They came today, gave us seventy nine gallons of propane and charged us $4.71 per gallon! Gas and oil prices have been way down and I was in shock! Looked up the average price per gallon for propane through "google". Found the price was $2.204! They more than double charged us! Is this legal? We are living on SSI and not prepared to pay such an outrageous bill. Would appreciate any answers.

Amerigas came out and installed my gas stove and dryer. The dryer was difficult for the installer but he was not trained to do an installation on a Samsung dryer. I paid over $500 for the install of both. They came out and did the necessary changes when I ran out of propane. I paid $2.19 per gallon in August 2015 and $3.20 November 30th. I was not home and the quantity seemed high. Now for a fill up in two weeks was quoted $3.19. If I committed to 1000 gallons I would get a price of $2.79. A local supplier quoted me $1.69. How is this possible? I own my tank and had a price guarantee of $2.19 for the first year Oct 2014 to Oct 2015. Watch these guys. They make no concessions. Someone should report their tactics to the Maine consumer rights.

Tank fees and price per gallon way out of line. I have had enough getting over charged! I will waste money to get Amerigas out of my home. Greedy company. Beware. Very dishonest.

Amerigas Company Profile