1.16/5

Need a utility company?

259 AmeriGas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Energy North was purchased by Amerigas. They sent out a very vague postcard with no details, just there would be changes. Everyone's budget plan was canceled and my rates rose from already excessive $2.88 per gallon to $3.49 per gallon. I went through a lot of effort to change providers. Currently, I pay 2.19/gal with Haffners. I didn't think there would be an issue after I called and closed my account 1 year ago. Suddenly there is a $154 fee on my credit card. Previously I set up auto bill pay and because I didn't shut it off, it generated the bill.

The representative acknowledged that I should not have had a fee and told me to stop the auto pay online, which I did. Since the new provider started when ground was frozen they had to put in temporary above ground tanks. I still have quite a bit of fuel in the temporary tanks so Haffners has not been able to put in a new tank as of yet till tank levels drop. AMERIGAS representative said they would not credit me the $154 until I call and tell them the tank is ready to pick up even though they had just admitted the charge was an error. They claimed it is a "rental fee" though I have never been charged a rental fee, nor been sent a rental fee bill.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

First time customers looking for a single fill-up. Unfortunately they never followed through... Someone came and inspected and said a regulator needed moved and it would be under $20 (it’s been there for 20-years through multiple companies/inspections), fine. Nobody called nor scheduled and the truck showed a couple days later and turned around and left. Looking at the gauge on the tank, no propane was delivered… Nobody called/no note left.

Upon contacting AmeriGas we found out it was ‘in the notes to call’ but AmeriGas admitted nobody called to inform us. It was deemed that they could not safely deliver 365-days a year. Our driveway is ¼-mile+ long and steep, we get that, it can be a pain in the winter, trust me. But this was not winter and they came and inspected, and then sent a truck to fill the tank, and that truck came all the way to the tank, but did not fill it... We were not asking for year-round delivery, no contract, they were already at the tank, but deemed they could not safely do so in the winter, so left… We have had other companies deliver with some snow on the ground, no issues. We were not asking for a commitment. They made it almost to the end, but fell short – right there at the finish line.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

For several years, Amerigas has overcharged customers of the propane business in Northern California. In February of 2018, after several overcharges and requests for adjustments, the company tried to overcharge me by $1.85 per gallon above the going retail price. I contacted the local office and demanded an adjustment. They adjusted the price down by $1.00. I sent and called the office giving notice to the company that their services were terminated. My notice to them was dated 5/6/18. Further, I wanted credit for the amount I paid them for the propane minus the amount I used. They were only willing to discount the recovery to a price below a figure that was close to wholesale.

I hired a new company and they took the tank to their facility, performed the recovery and put the gas into the new tank, delivered and installed it, and notified Amerigas of the tank location. In fact, there have been several tanks awaiting pickup by Amerigas. On 6/30/18 Amerigas sends me a bill for tank rental. I told them again that they had been fired and where they could go to pick up the tank. They then sent a "customer Services" rep to our home to survey as to how to retrieve the tank. Told him the same thing. They then sent the local delivery guy out to refill the tank. Told him the same thing. Finally, someone from their billing department called on the phone and threatened me if I didn't pay the bill for tank rental. I was not speechless.

Overall, there is nothing wrong with the propane sold by Amerigas. It performs as intended. What is wrong with Amerigas is its foul tactics, lack of customer service (they think they can just deliver and bill you and you won't notice the obscene gas pricing) and their threatening manner when trying to collect what is not due them. What they are now facing is a growing number of customers who are talking about them at the local hardware store, the post office, the supermarkets and Costco/Sam's Clubs. We are beginning to see that if we organize against them, especially the local office, we can give locally owned and operated companies our business, get competitive pricing and quality service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

AmeriGas was called for propane delivery service to a home that had 2 existing tanks that would service gas logs only. The salesman informed tenant the existing tanks could not be used and opened account in my name via tenants signature!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had my first experience with a bad AmeriGas tank and (Jewel) the merchant where I purchased the tank, freely exchanged it with another no questions asked. I learned that there are newer tanks that can be distinguished from the older ones by their shape. The newer tanks are a few mm shorter than the older ones and have a rounder shape. There is also no rust on them and the paint can easily be identified as the original coat. There is also an expiration date stamped on the tank, e.g. (01/17). It is near the top the tank. Probably not a good idea to accept a tank with an expiration date stamped on it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Finally was able to find the average price of propane in California. Turns out I have been overcharged by more than a dollar a gallon for years. We are talking an extra $600 a year or more. Decided to switch companies. The bill for the years rental had just arrived. They forced me to pay it or they would turn me over to a collection agency. They promised to reimburse me for the unused portion of the year. After picking up the tank a month later then promised they now refuse to reimburse me. Crooks!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

To avoid an annual rental charge I need to buy at least 160 gallons of propane per year. When I called to price an order they were going to charge almost $5 per gallon whereas other companies locally are closer to $2 per gallon! They change prices on the customers all the time and only if you know the ropes and keep asking can you get a better price.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

This is company as robbery the customer! 8 years have no issue with gas thank, now I have to pay rent $97/yr. The gas price is high whatever they want to put plus bla bla charge. I call want to pay the bill divide 3 times, the customer service so stupid like doesn't understand. I call again, the other lady said, if I want to pay split 3x, I have to sign the agreement! And this never happened before, I pay split 3x. That's the WORST COMPANY in US. My rating actually not even 1 star, just a piece of **!!! Beware to other customer who ever want open with this AmeriGas Robbery company!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I used AmeriGas when I was building my new home, they seem like a clean company. I was told that I could purchase my gas tank after a few years of use. This was back in 2012. So this I made that request to the company to buy my tank, got tired of paying rental fees for using their product. I was told we don't sale tanks and I cannot use my own tank, I was charged more for gas when my tank went below 10 gallon, and for calling them for refill, and they still charging after fuel recovery lawsuit which they lost. I have review other complaints and they do sale tanks. I have read the bottom statement on certify, I still have gas in my tank and from reading other complaints there is no refund on the remaining gas. This tank will be empty when they come and get it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Every month for 2 yrs we had to call because of being overcharged. We always paid the amount due but continually complained and requested service checks and reasoning for the high bills. Then we finally received relief when someone actually took the initiative to look into the billing issues and received 3 months without having to pay a bill but still not close to what we overpaid. We were just happy that it was going to be over, FINALLY. WRONG, Happy Thanksgiving, we are going to see if you notice we increased your bill again.

Excuse after excuse but this time I refused to pay the overcharged bills and only paid the max as to what we should be charged. We are 2 people that live in the home and we have a hot water heater that is gas and a gas stove. NEVER, EVER use the gas stove because we cook our food in a crockpot, on an outdoor grill, on an electric griddle or our Foreman grill. We live in Florida, so we never want to turn on the stove and make it hot in the house. We have tried so many times calling them since they never respond to our letters and we can’t get any higher than an Admin Manager.

Looking for a way to contact anyone in a corporate position to look into these problems because we aren’t the only one in the neighborhood complaining about this issue. We are now looking to remove the gas water heater and stove because I don’t work for AmeriGas and I shouldn’t have to be thinking about them 24hrs a day. Too much time of my life given to this company because they can’t do their job.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My father has a vacation home in MI, where he uses AmeriGas. We have been with them for years without issue. Now, all of the sudden, they are charging us a rental fee of almost $150 for NOT USING GAS THAT WE ALREADY PAID FOR. When we contacted them about it, they told us we signed Terms & Conditions agreeing to this fee. Upon reviewing the Terms & Conditions, we found no indication of what the fee would be, so they can essentially change the fee to whatever they want anytime they want. We feel that the Terms & Conditions should be clear & transparent & should indicated EXACTLY what we will be charged. At the very least it should indicate that the fee will be no more than $X.XX, so the customer is aware of all the fees going in.

We spend between $500-$700 annually on propane from AmeriGas, yet they want to charge us for something we already paid for, because we didn't use as much as they wanted us to. We already explained that this is a vacation home, so we will never use that much. Furthermore, we have never used that much & were never charged before. They could not explain why that was, nor could they explain how they come up with the amount of this fee. So we essentially never know what they will charge us. We have contacted the BBB & the case was closed, with a note that we are still not satisfied. However, we feel that their practices/Terms & Conditions are unfair to customers (especially loyal customers who have been with them for years).

They are essentially withholding info/lying/misleading customers. And they refuse to take responsibility for it. How can this be legal? And if you want to cancel or change to a smaller tank to avoid this tank rental fee, they want to charge you as well. This is unacceptable & we feel they should be forced to edit their Terms & Conditions to list all fees, including the amount, so that customers know what they are getting into. We also strongly feel that a business should not be charging customers fees for not using something for which they already paid. It is amazing that they have been allowed to conduct business in this manner for this long.

Original review: May 13, 2018

AmeriGas is not dependable. I was low on gas and called the company. I was told that I would have a delivery soon. I was lower and called again and was told by Vicki not to worry they would not let me run out. I called the next day and AmeriGas stopped answering the phones. They would not answer the emergency number either. I was lucky and got another company to rush out with two tanks. When I signed up with AmeriGas I told them to put me on auto fill. I soon found out what "AUTO FILL" meant. The company goes on something they call "degree heating days". This is a temperature that is picked and below that temperature, you are using heat. This is the problem with this, the company has no Idea what they are talking about and this is why so many people run out of gas.

I called the company once and ask about the degree heating days. I ask them how they knew how much gas I would use and they gave me the degree heating days crap. I ask them how many buildings I heated now, they said that they did not know. I asked them what the Thermal Resistance or "R" value of the buildings were. Had no idea what I was talking about. I asked how they could determine how much gas I was using without the figures to back it up. All I was told that they go on degree heating days. I would love for AmeriGas to get their best genius to give an answer as to how AmeriGas can figure your consumption without the mentioned figures. So, look out if you are on autofill because you will get shafted sooner or later with a big emergency fill bill. I will also add that there are other factors to add to calculating your usage.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had moved into Hemlock Farms over a year ago and was told my propane (AmeriGas) would be $1.76 a gallon. I was running low on propane come November of last year and the truck pulled in pumped my propane with two cars sitting in the driveway not knocking on the door and took off leaving the receipt sitting on my doorstep. I read the ticket and without warning me jacked my price up to $2.67 a gallon. I was left holding a $980 bill. I then removed them from my services and have 40% left in the tank when I was informed that I would have to pay the full amount and receive no credit back for the 40% left in the tank. They would resell that portion of it to someone else.

This place is a true rip off and will in every way take advantage of you in the middle of the winter. I am not afraid to show my name and number if someone would like to file a class action suit against this company for all of their wrong doing that they are getting away with. Please feel free to email me if there other people out there just like me going through this.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Been with this Company almost 2 years. Have always paid timely. Recently experienced financial difficulty during 20 deg weather and was treated like trash. Explained to “Amy” my situation, just had a newborn. Was told to take my baby to a neighbor's house. “There must be at least one person in your family that has a job that can help you”. When I ran out of gas and called to report a potential gas leak, I was charged over $100 more dollars. Deliveries are never on time. Wait time over an hour just to speak with a rep. Amy has placed me on hold several times and never returned when I have asked for corporate's number or a local supervisor's contact info. Left messages with Amy for a supervisor to return call to no avail. They leave you on hold when they know you have no alternatives for heat. This should be illegal.

Original review: April 1, 2018

After 45 years of renting a tank from AmeriGas through all the name changes I decided to purchase the tank after being charged almost one dollar more per gallon than my neighbors who used other companies. I discussed the purchase with my local office and my desire to have the tank leak tested before buying it. I was told that their employees that delivered the gas checked the tank every time it was filled. The first time that another company tested it after the purchase it leaked from almost every gauge on the tank. I personally watched the other company test it. I was discouraged to say the least. Now I am waiting for a technician to come and replace all the gauges so I can get propane. My tank was red tagged. So much for their drivers checking the tank every fill. I feel that the company was very dishonest with a 45 year customer.

Original review: March 28, 2018

First of all, their prices are absolutely insane. We were taking a 5 Gallon Tank and filling it at U-Haul down the street for less per gallon then they wanted to charge us at purchasing 200 gallons at a time. We shopped other propane companies in our area and called them asking if they would at least come close to the other company's prices. They would say they were going to get a discount amount and call me back. Never receive a call. Called to have the tank picked up, asked if there were any fees. No, no fees. Took them over two months to pick our tank up. Then a month later, I receive an envelope from them. Thinking it was junk mail, because we had been with another company now for almost three months. Receive a second letter, open it, it is a statement saying we owe over $100 (now late fees of $38 p/m are being tacked on).

I call them, explain that I was told there was no pick up fee, could they send me a copy of the contract we signed showing there was a fee. She agrees to send to me and call me back to let me know it has been sent. Receive nothing that day. Call the following day, she tells me she is not at the office where my contract is located until the following week. I follow up the following week with her, she says she will send the contract and follow up with a phone call. Never receive anything. Get a call from a call center representative last week, explain to her the history. She tells me that she will note my account that if we call in and pay the initial pick up fee they will wave the late fees. Today, I call in to pay the bill, I get the very first girl I spoke with, who never followed up. Of course she's going to say there are no notes from this other agent.

I paid the bill including the late fees. After paying the bill I requested the number for the corporate office. I wanted to get to the bottom of why the notes were not put on my account as promised last week. The customer service number (800 number) told me there WERE notes on the account but that the name had been changed when this girl pulled it up today. WTH?? Then wouldn't say anymore, said I needed to talk to the District Manager in my area. This is a very shady, unprofessional company. They are all about the money grab and nothing about service. THEIR HOLD MESSAGE SAYS: "CUSTOMER SERVICE & SAFETY ARE OUR #1 PRIORITY". THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LAUGHABLE.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They are just horrible in regards to reliability. We have "automatic" delivery which is never automatic. Frequently end up running out of gas (and we aren't using up at a high rate. They just don't come) so end up calling for emergency delivery when we realize that we have run out and then they charge additional fees even though we have paid up on time and should have received our delivery earlier. They know they have you over a barrel because technically they own the tank even if it is buried on your property. Well today we have had it and are going to pay to have this tank dug up and a new one installed from a more reliable company. If I ever move, I will not even consider buying a house with AmeriGas as the contract even if it is my dream house. They are that bad.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have been a propane consumer for over 30 years and cannot believe the outrageous pricing, rude and unreliable service and total disregard for customer service and satisfaction of Amerigas. Unfortunately for me the family run energy supplier in my area was bought by Amerigas. Immediately I was charged $258.00 rent on the company owned tank because I did not meet the minimum gas usage. When I asked to purchase the 30 year old tank so I would not have to rent I was told the tank would have to be replaced and I would be required to purchase a new tank due to safety reasons??? If I continue to rent the tank there is no issue for Amerigas to continue to use it.

I inquired about having the tank removed. I was informed that I cannot receive any type of credit for propane left but will have to pay an exorbitant price to have propane disposed of as hazardous waste. On top of the tank rental charges I do not meet the minimum propane usage so my average cost per gallon $4.85 per gallon. (I have propane service at another home and pay $2.75 at peak times). TO ANYONE READING THIS LOOK ANYWHERE BUT AMERIGAS FOR YOUR PROPANE SERVICE. I can't empty my tank fast enough to change service.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Called for a delivery when our tank was between 30 and 35%. They said it would be 7-10 days and on their website, our delivery was slated for between the 1st and 9th of March (we called on the 1st). It is now the 15th and we still have not received a delivery. Called them yesterday to see what was going on and they said we weren't on the delivery schedule and that it would be another 7-12 days before we got gas (we're now at less than 5% gas). I live with my mom, who is 75 and not in the best health, and it is our cold, rainy season. But we can't use the heat because we were afraid of running out of propane. No one seems to be helpful, and in fact, the girl we talked to yesterday was rude. I sent an email but still no response. We're ready to switch companies.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Unless you have an emergency, you cannot schedule a delivery for a certain day! You just tell them to come and they come whenever they want. VERY inconvenient if you want to be around for the delivery.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We went with another company in Oct. 2017. (G&B) G&B faxed AmeriGas and we called them to let them know that we were changing companies. They sent us a bill for a $50 rental fee, which we did not pay, of course. Then every month they would send us another bill with a late fee on it. Then they sent us to collections for not paying. Meanwhile, we called them every month to tell them we no longer have service with them and EVERY single time we called, they said "they didn't know we wanted to close the account"! We even went in there in Feb and called.

So, I finally sent a copy of G&B's fax, plus a letter telling them that we do not owe them anything and to come and pick up their tank or I would contact Hazmat. I sent this to the local AmeriGas (Mt. Airy) and to their company in Pa. and to the collection agency. They came and picked up the tank and I haven't received any more bills for that. Now they are sending us a $60 bill for picking up the tank! We will never use them again. They are very dishonest. I have been told that there are tanks all over the place that they refuse to pick up. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Sadly, I allowed Amerigas to gouge me for years because I rented a tank from them. Finally a few years ago I had enough when their lock-in price contract came and it was for $1:50/gallon more than market price ($3.89/gal). I bought the tank from them (for $400.00 after 25 years) and made it back on my first fillup with my new company.

Original review: March 10, 2018

BUYER BEWARE!!! They lure you in with their low introductory prices... however, after the contract expires, LOOKOUT! Their prices almost doubled! Their TV commercial says, "We treat you like family." All I can say is "thank goodness, I'm not in your family!" I gave them a rating of 1 star, and that was WAY TOO GENEROUS!!! My grandmother would say "They're a wolf in sheep's clothing!"

Original review: March 5, 2018

I requested a STOP in delivery since we were in the middle of moving away. They came and filled it anyway, $500 to fill from 40% on the gauge. Then almost did it again 30 days later, but I talked to the guy at my house and he politely drove away. So then we moved, with 50% full mark on the gauge, 500 gallon tank was removed from the site for the new owner to go with a different company. The local AmeriGas rep, said this was no problem and would send a check or a bill to settle the account.

The check came, a whopping $165 I say facetiously. They said they took out the fees and such and that was the balance. They did not send a closing statement to show the breakdown of what was left in the tank, the fees they took out, and how they arrived at the total. What can I even dispute without proof? I was expecting a fair rate for the gas not used. Over the past year, we feel duped, since we just noticed they were charging us double the going rate a year earlier, $4.50/gal and gave us a break once we brought it to their attention. This is what happened when a corporation took over our local Community Propane distributor.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I was charged $179.00 for tank rental. I didn't pay it on time so they came and put a lock on my tank. I called and paid while the tech was here and they charged me another $100 to take it back off. The reason they gave me was because it was time consuming for him to take the lock off. It took him 3 minutes at the most. The employees at the Wooster Ohio office were very rude and didn't want to work with me as far as not charging me the extra $100. I am so sorry I switched to this company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I changed to a new propane company after 14 years. My office is not on SPUG. They just switched this month. I was paying more than any other propane company. Now after 40 days the empty 500 gallon tank is still sitting in my driveway. The staff, at the Royal Oaks office has been very rude, in trying to get a date to pick up their tank.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've used Amerigas for two years now. I'm always hearing I should try this company or that, but I will never switch. The service we receive is unmatched! One time the driver went out of his way to make sure we got our heat before Christmas. Once we had a leak, they were here in an hour. Another time the delivery driver stayed almost an hour to make sure he got my hot water heater lit for me and my kids. Many times I've had to call to ask if something is possible, and even though according to policy, it wasn't, they still accommodated me! From help with billing to deliveries, Cassie remembers me every time I call. Once she even called me back after going above and beyond by asking her manager if she can help me with a delivery we needed ASAP. I will never change companies & am lucky I chose them!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

This is my third winter living in an insulated apartment that is less than 900 sq ft. I just received a bill for a propane delivery that was almost $700 @ $4.27/gaI. I only use it for heat. I keep my thermostat at 60 degrees for a good 75% of the time. Prior to the most recent bill, I got a bill November or December and they charged me $4.59 a gallon. Fortunately it was a relatively small refill. At this time last year, I paid $2.69/gal in January and $1.96 in February. I hadn't locked in the last two winters because the bill was manageable. I am furious.

I called the manager who finally offered me a $25 voucher. Are you kidding me? I explained that I live alone in a small place and could not possibly pay the bill. "We can put you on a payment program," he said. I'm a nurse and like everyone else, I work hard for my money. I get it... Businesses have the right to make money... But to GOUGE the consumer, is totally unethical and immoral. They simply do not care. They will pick up the tanks for $59.99 and charge a .35 "restocking fee." And they know no one is going to do that in the dead of winter. This needs to stop.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Have had Amerigas for 20 yrs. No issues. This year we ordered propane tank refill 3 weeks ago-no show and reason per representative at Amerigas it was “rejected,” but did not know why-no documentation. We rescheduled for the following week. No show again. Called rep and rescheduled. Driver calls and discuss time frame. I was home for time discussed. Driver came 2 hrs later and did not “light the pilot, which is what my presence was needed for.” Left note in door and left-I was home waiting for him to come in the house, Amerigas rep stated all issues were not their fault. Disappointed by customer service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

First of all, I've never had to use this propane crap before because I've always lived in a house with central air. Since moving to this small town where everything is PRIMITIVE, the worst part of it all is getting gas from AmeriGas! I spent almost $400 on 100 gallons of gas 2 weeks ago and never imagined it would run out already! I ordered 200 gallons on Monday and today (Wednesday) I called to see if the truck is coming to our area today and they said it wasn't coming til next week!.So we have NO HEAT all this time when it's in the 20's out!

The problem with this propane business, besides the fact that they're a rip off is that, they got you by the balls because you're at their mercy. There is no sense of urgency, especially to the people who have no heat!!! There is ONE person named Nancy in the Emporia, Va. office that went above and beyond for me before but she is not assigned to my region. I wish there could be a Nancy at every office because for the most part, these "customer service" ladies could care less that you and your kids are sitting in a house with no heat for over a week in 20 degree weather!

AmeriGas Company Information