1.08/5

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

272 AmeriGas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

30 years w/ a company that was bought by AmeriGas. Not sure when they bought the company. I recently looked a little closer at my bill. My last fill was $4.85 a gallon. Meanwhile a friend told me he owns his own tank and just filled up for $1.89 a gallon. I just bought my own tank and this company can kiss my **. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Horrible Customer Service.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Updated on 12/12/2018: I called & told them to cancel my account & pick up their equipment. The person on the phone was a bit nasty & gave some cockamamie excuse for the charge. She said she would put in a ticket for pick-up. A few days later we got a call from a supervisor who said he wanted to make things right. My wife told him we put in our own tanks to please pick these up. He said ok that will be no problem. No one had showed up to pick up the tanks.

My wife called back & wanted to know when they were picking them up because now it's a dangerous situation. The person on the phone (not sure if the same one as the 1st time) told her there will be an $80 charge on top of $130. My wife said, “They are your tanks”! The person on the phone said, “That is our policy.” My wife informed her that we will be charging them for tank storage. Still waiting for them to be picked up. These people are thieves & have fraudulent business practices.

Original Review: For 32 years I have used Cress Gas. Recently I received a bill from AmeriGas for $130.38. AmeriGas had purchased Cress & is now charging tank rental for the past year. I called customer service & I told them I never received a bill for tank rental before. I was told that because it was part of the price of the propane. The person then informed me she can reduce my bill to $75. If I had purchased propane in the past year & it was included in the price why am I being charged again. This is fraud & they are charging twice. This is what happens when you’re a loyal customer & a bigger company takes over.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

In Oct. I called Amerigas to get my meter turned on. I said, "There is no hurry, when will the tech be in my area?" The tech was in the office. They gave me a day. He DID NOT make a special trip just for me. The tech seemed very professional and courteous. He turned on the meter, did a test, and lit my wall heater pilot (He found a loose wire/plugged it back on). He was here about 30 minutes. Then, I get a bill; "Service Dispatch Charge"= $60+, and "Safety Assurance Check"= $99. $163.34 Total / 30 min. = $326.68 per hour. I talked to a manager. He said, "We do charge $120/Hr. for service". I argued, "but that's $326/Hr." He never disputed the 30 min. the tech was here. He said a lot of BLAH-BLAH-BLAH. None of which disproved the fact; THAT'S $326+/ Hour! Is that LEGAL?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

First time ordering gas after running out due to a faulty gauge on tank. They charged me 128.00 for leak test because it had run out, I argued I ran out because of faulty gauge, she then told me if the gauge was faulty I would be refunded. Gas was delivered 4 days later late evening. Driver confirmed faulty gauge and put in order to be replaced. While he was here he made sure the furnace and stove were working then went to light the hot water heater. He didn't know what he was doing and a gas pocket (his words) exploded while he was trying to light it. While he was here he called one of the techs to ask him what to do, he walked him thru it and was still not able to light the water heater. He then proceeds to tell me he will submit a ticket the next morning and a tech would be out to light and make sure there was no damage from the explosion.

When I didn't hear from them the next morning I called, she proceeds to tell me that a tech would be out to replace the faulty gauge, (after checking with the driver who confirmed it was faulty) but I would be responsible for lighting the water heater. She said they are not responsible for faulty equipment but will charge me for the leak check and not check the water to make sure there was no damage, and now after 5 days no hot water and I want know if the water heater was not damaged until I pay someone to check it out. Even more time without hot water. Run as fast as you can from this company. They are rude, and liars. They will tell you anything to get you off the line.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

AmeriGas company and employees have no respect for elderly neighbor near the propane refill facility, when asked why they cut my fence, cut my trees, dug up my property and installed electric lines underground, without contacting me or asking permission. The power company advised AmeriGas they will not come onto my property to attach power to a line without my permission. Now they play very loud music day and night, in retaliation to no permission to run lines across or underground of my property. We’re senior citizens and they honk their horns and play loud music as well as cursing and yelling while we work in our yard. Hey.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My Mama pass away, so I call them to tell them can I change the gas in my name, which they did, that was in 2014, 2016 I asked could I buy this tank, and they say yes. I asked how much, they say $600+ dollars. I had a gas bill coming up, so I asked could I send them both gas bill and the tank I brought at the same time, yes they say, told me how much, and when the bill came I sent both tank and the gas bill at same time $907.35. 2017 no rental fee was send to me, why because I brought a tank from you. Come 2018 here come rental for tank, I call and told them I brought this tank. They say they didn't have record showing I brought this tank. I say I call and asked and they say yes I can buy this tank, and I told them send me a receipt for this, which they never did.

First they say they never received a check from me for $907.35, I went to the bank and got statement showing that they did receive a check, and I went to Madison to show them, then they say now they see it, but they liked, she came and showed me a statement they had, like they just made it up, because when I look at theirs it was all wrong, and I told her that, she just made up something. I had my statement, and my bank statement, and ours was the same, it is so hard for me to think people will cheat so easily. AmeriGas I don't know what to say, but reimburse my money, for the tank I brought. If you reimburse my money, for tank, I will pay rental fee, but I won't stay with you, because I don't trust you. I don't cheat people's, I expect the same from company that should Love people's business, not cheat them. Rating should be 0, not a one. Change your ratings, let people's have a choice 0. GOD is still in control.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I called around to get retail delivered prices for propane. I was told $1.89/gal. Of course there is a tank-set charge and a contract; I get that. The contract also contains a hefty tank retrieval requirement for ending the contract. One year later, the cost is now up to $3.63/gal. During that time they delivered residential price for propane has not changed significantly (USEIA). Amerigas propane is sold in my community at independent retail locations for $1.85/gal. - roughly the cost that was represented by the company when they wanted my business. They doubled the cost when they got the contract termination clause in place.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Please do NOT buy propane through this company! They were clueless about what was going on, it took us months to get our account set up properly, they let our "auto-fill" tank run dry TWICE and then acted as though it was not an emergency for them to come and fill our tank. Multiple mistakes in billing, customer service is rude and unhelpful. They were over a year late charging us for things... the list goes on. We have cancelled our service and it took them three months to come pick up their tank and I am currently having to argue paying "late fees" they charged ME during that time! Such a constant frustration.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

When I purchased my home in 2008, I was told by the prior owner that I/we owned the propane tank buried in my walled-in landscape bed in front of the property. I contracted w/ AmeriGas to provide propane for almost 9 years but, after successively higher propane costs ($400/month for 8 mos out of the year), I finally switched my home to Natural Gas for heating/cooking. I informed AmeriGas of this and we were fine for about 12 months. A few months ago, they sent me an invoice for a $31 and then, a $210 charge for a 'tank rental fee". I called AmeriGas, told them that I believe that I own the tank and to send me proof that they owned the tank. The girl said she'd 'get back with me' and never has. NOW, they are hitting me with Collection calls, looking for their $241...which I absolutely refuse to pay. Unbelievably greedy, monopolistic behavior that I intend to fight purely on principle.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My first experience was they charged me $4.73/gal for propane March 2018. Typical cost for propane in the area at the time $2.63 - $2.89. Their reason was they didn't have a signed contract. Should have taken the contract to my lawyer because 6 months later they charged me at $50 fee for checking the line for a leak. You installed the stuff and you are charging me a fee to check your lines? Jump forward to Oct 2018. Found out there is a great company who has excellent customer service reviews and don't slam you with fees every time they service you so called for a disconnect. They want $149.99 PLUS $59.99 PLUS .35 per gallon back charge to pump the fuel out of the tank. Are you kidding me?

I cannot wait to get their tank out of my yard and out of my life. If you have any options other than going to AmeriGas use them. You will regret it from start to finish dealing with their charge after charge after charge nonsense. I did not see these reviews before I contracted with them. Wish I had. And if you do sign with them hire a lawyer to negotiate their BS charges.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

THE WORST propane company and with the worst customer service ever. I am ashamed Taos let them buyout NM propane and I am ashamed at the MGR they put in charge of the Taos office. RUN FAR AWAY AND FAST! Getting charged $90.14 for a 20 min visit where NOTHING was done other than him speaking to my plumber about BS (who used to work for AmeriGas) who was here already putting in a bid. I literally got charged for him doing NOTHING. Go to Rio Grande Propane or Kit Carson.

My Taos office won't make this charge go away so maybe posting on EVERY single online option such as Google maps, Yelp, FB and more about how I got charged and still am 90 bucks on my account when Chris came here and did NOTHING on my property nor did he tell me or my plumber things we didn't already know, maybe at least telling the world might help... and if not, at least people get the hard truth about your company.

I just spent MONTHS in the hospital and I did ALL I was asked to get brought up to code even though I've been filled for 7 years and then they tell me it will be a month to trade out my tank and fill on top of charging me when Chris came out and DID NOTHING... when that Taos office KNEW I was having major surgery and KNEW I had no heat when this runs out... or a way to cook and that I was scurrying to get up to code in between major surgeries in CA I have been having. I HAVE NO HEAT and have a catheter in my gut and a major bladder surgery I just underwent... I also can't afford 90 bucks when NOTHING was done. I have NEVER not paid my bill or had it late... this is a disgrace to your company and to the MGR Michael you have working there.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Twice we have talked to them and scheduled a delivery, they said they would call the day before and let us know what time they would be there. Twice they never called to tells what time they would arrive, and twice then never showed up on the scheduled deliver date! Today was the last straw, they never showed up. Cascade Propane was always super by showing up on time and on the scheduled day. We will never use AmeriGas, they have shown their customers are not important.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Been dealing with poor service and outrageous fees for years. Reading the huge disclaimer on the company policies reads like a NAZI document. Actually says they can enter your property anytime they want.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Energy North was purchased by Amerigas. They sent out a very vague postcard with no details, just there would be changes. Everyone's budget plan was canceled and my rates rose from already excessive $2.88 per gallon to $3.49 per gallon. I went through a lot of effort to change providers. Currently, I pay 2.19/gal with Haffners. I didn't think there would be an issue after I called and closed my account 1 year ago. Suddenly there is a $154 fee on my credit card. Previously I set up auto bill pay and because I didn't shut it off, it generated the bill.

The representative acknowledged that I should not have had a fee and told me to stop the auto pay online, which I did. Since the new provider started when ground was frozen they had to put in temporary above ground tanks. I still have quite a bit of fuel in the temporary tanks so Haffners has not been able to put in a new tank as of yet till tank levels drop. AMERIGAS representative said they would not credit me the $154 until I call and tell them the tank is ready to pick up even though they had just admitted the charge was an error. They claimed it is a "rental fee" though I have never been charged a rental fee, nor been sent a rental fee bill.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

First time customers looking for a single fill-up. Unfortunately they never followed through... Someone came and inspected and said a regulator needed moved and it would be under $20 (it’s been there for 20-years through multiple companies/inspections), fine. Nobody called nor scheduled and the truck showed a couple days later and turned around and left. Looking at the gauge on the tank, no propane was delivered… Nobody called/no note left.

Upon contacting AmeriGas we found out it was ‘in the notes to call’ but AmeriGas admitted nobody called to inform us. It was deemed that they could not safely deliver 365-days a year. Our driveway is ¼-mile+ long and steep, we get that, it can be a pain in the winter, trust me. But this was not winter and they came and inspected, and then sent a truck to fill the tank, and that truck came all the way to the tank, but did not fill it... We were not asking for year-round delivery, no contract, they were already at the tank, but deemed they could not safely do so in the winter, so left… We have had other companies deliver with some snow on the ground, no issues. We were not asking for a commitment. They made it almost to the end, but fell short – right there at the finish line.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

For several years, Amerigas has overcharged customers of the propane business in Northern California. In February of 2018, after several overcharges and requests for adjustments, the company tried to overcharge me by $1.85 per gallon above the going retail price. I contacted the local office and demanded an adjustment. They adjusted the price down by $1.00. I sent and called the office giving notice to the company that their services were terminated. My notice to them was dated 5/6/18. Further, I wanted credit for the amount I paid them for the propane minus the amount I used. They were only willing to discount the recovery to a price below a figure that was close to wholesale.

I hired a new company and they took the tank to their facility, performed the recovery and put the gas into the new tank, delivered and installed it, and notified Amerigas of the tank location. In fact, there have been several tanks awaiting pickup by Amerigas. On 6/30/18 Amerigas sends me a bill for tank rental. I told them again that they had been fired and where they could go to pick up the tank. They then sent a "customer Services" rep to our home to survey as to how to retrieve the tank. Told him the same thing. They then sent the local delivery guy out to refill the tank. Told him the same thing. Finally, someone from their billing department called on the phone and threatened me if I didn't pay the bill for tank rental. I was not speechless.

Overall, there is nothing wrong with the propane sold by Amerigas. It performs as intended. What is wrong with Amerigas is its foul tactics, lack of customer service (they think they can just deliver and bill you and you won't notice the obscene gas pricing) and their threatening manner when trying to collect what is not due them. What they are now facing is a growing number of customers who are talking about them at the local hardware store, the post office, the supermarkets and Costco/Sam's Clubs. We are beginning to see that if we organize against them, especially the local office, we can give locally owned and operated companies our business, get competitive pricing and quality service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

AmeriGas was called for propane delivery service to a home that had 2 existing tanks that would service gas logs only. The salesman informed tenant the existing tanks could not be used and opened account in my name via tenants signature!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had my first experience with a bad AmeriGas tank and (Jewel) the merchant where I purchased the tank, freely exchanged it with another no questions asked. I learned that there are newer tanks that can be distinguished from the older ones by their shape. The newer tanks are a few mm shorter than the older ones and have a rounder shape. There is also no rust on them and the paint can easily be identified as the original coat. There is also an expiration date stamped on the tank, e.g. (01/17). It is near the top the tank. Probably not a good idea to accept a tank with an expiration date stamped on it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Finally was able to find the average price of propane in California. Turns out I have been overcharged by more than a dollar a gallon for years. We are talking an extra $600 a year or more. Decided to switch companies. The bill for the years rental had just arrived. They forced me to pay it or they would turn me over to a collection agency. They promised to reimburse me for the unused portion of the year. After picking up the tank a month later then promised they now refuse to reimburse me. Crooks!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

To avoid an annual rental charge I need to buy at least 160 gallons of propane per year. When I called to price an order they were going to charge almost $5 per gallon whereas other companies locally are closer to $2 per gallon! They change prices on the customers all the time and only if you know the ropes and keep asking can you get a better price.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

This is company as robbery the customer! 8 years have no issue with gas thank, now I have to pay rent $97/yr. The gas price is high whatever they want to put plus bla bla charge. I call want to pay the bill divide 3 times, the customer service so stupid like doesn't understand. I call again, the other lady said, if I want to pay split 3x, I have to sign the agreement! And this never happened before, I pay split 3x. That's the WORST COMPANY in US. My rating actually not even 1 star, just a piece of **!!! Beware to other customer who ever want open with this AmeriGas Robbery company!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I used AmeriGas when I was building my new home, they seem like a clean company. I was told that I could purchase my gas tank after a few years of use. This was back in 2012. So this I made that request to the company to buy my tank, got tired of paying rental fees for using their product. I was told we don't sale tanks and I cannot use my own tank, I was charged more for gas when my tank went below 10 gallon, and for calling them for refill, and they still charging after fuel recovery lawsuit which they lost. I have review other complaints and they do sale tanks. I have read the bottom statement on certify, I still have gas in my tank and from reading other complaints there is no refund on the remaining gas. This tank will be empty when they come and get it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Every month for 2 yrs we had to call because of being overcharged. We always paid the amount due but continually complained and requested service checks and reasoning for the high bills. Then we finally received relief when someone actually took the initiative to look into the billing issues and received 3 months without having to pay a bill but still not close to what we overpaid. We were just happy that it was going to be over, FINALLY. WRONG, Happy Thanksgiving, we are going to see if you notice we increased your bill again.

Excuse after excuse but this time I refused to pay the overcharged bills and only paid the max as to what we should be charged. We are 2 people that live in the home and we have a hot water heater that is gas and a gas stove. NEVER, EVER use the gas stove because we cook our food in a crockpot, on an outdoor grill, on an electric griddle or our Foreman grill. We live in Florida, so we never want to turn on the stove and make it hot in the house. We have tried so many times calling them since they never respond to our letters and we can’t get any higher than an Admin Manager.

Looking for a way to contact anyone in a corporate position to look into these problems because we aren’t the only one in the neighborhood complaining about this issue. We are now looking to remove the gas water heater and stove because I don’t work for AmeriGas and I shouldn’t have to be thinking about them 24hrs a day. Too much time of my life given to this company because they can’t do their job.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My father has a vacation home in MI, where he uses AmeriGas. We have been with them for years without issue. Now, all of the sudden, they are charging us a rental fee of almost $150 for NOT USING GAS THAT WE ALREADY PAID FOR. When we contacted them about it, they told us we signed Terms & Conditions agreeing to this fee. Upon reviewing the Terms & Conditions, we found no indication of what the fee would be, so they can essentially change the fee to whatever they want anytime they want. We feel that the Terms & Conditions should be clear & transparent & should indicated EXACTLY what we will be charged. At the very least it should indicate that the fee will be no more than $X.XX, so the customer is aware of all the fees going in.

We spend between $500-$700 annually on propane from AmeriGas, yet they want to charge us for something we already paid for, because we didn't use as much as they wanted us to. We already explained that this is a vacation home, so we will never use that much. Furthermore, we have never used that much & were never charged before. They could not explain why that was, nor could they explain how they come up with the amount of this fee. So we essentially never know what they will charge us. We have contacted the BBB & the case was closed, with a note that we are still not satisfied. However, we feel that their practices/Terms & Conditions are unfair to customers (especially loyal customers who have been with them for years).

They are essentially withholding info/lying/misleading customers. And they refuse to take responsibility for it. How can this be legal? And if you want to cancel or change to a smaller tank to avoid this tank rental fee, they want to charge you as well. This is unacceptable & we feel they should be forced to edit their Terms & Conditions to list all fees, including the amount, so that customers know what they are getting into. We also strongly feel that a business should not be charging customers fees for not using something for which they already paid. It is amazing that they have been allowed to conduct business in this manner for this long.

Original review: May 13, 2018

AmeriGas is not dependable. I was low on gas and called the company. I was told that I would have a delivery soon. I was lower and called again and was told by Vicki not to worry they would not let me run out. I called the next day and AmeriGas stopped answering the phones. They would not answer the emergency number either. I was lucky and got another company to rush out with two tanks. When I signed up with AmeriGas I told them to put me on auto fill. I soon found out what "AUTO FILL" meant. The company goes on something they call "degree heating days". This is a temperature that is picked and below that temperature, you are using heat. This is the problem with this, the company has no Idea what they are talking about and this is why so many people run out of gas.

I called the company once and ask about the degree heating days. I ask them how they knew how much gas I would use and they gave me the degree heating days crap. I ask them how many buildings I heated now, they said that they did not know. I asked them what the Thermal Resistance or "R" value of the buildings were. Had no idea what I was talking about. I asked how they could determine how much gas I was using without the figures to back it up. All I was told that they go on degree heating days. I would love for AmeriGas to get their best genius to give an answer as to how AmeriGas can figure your consumption without the mentioned figures. So, look out if you are on autofill because you will get shafted sooner or later with a big emergency fill bill. I will also add that there are other factors to add to calculating your usage.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I had moved into Hemlock Farms over a year ago and was told my propane (AmeriGas) would be $1.76 a gallon. I was running low on propane come November of last year and the truck pulled in pumped my propane with two cars sitting in the driveway not knocking on the door and took off leaving the receipt sitting on my doorstep. I read the ticket and without warning me jacked my price up to $2.67 a gallon. I was left holding a $980 bill. I then removed them from my services and have 40% left in the tank when I was informed that I would have to pay the full amount and receive no credit back for the 40% left in the tank. They would resell that portion of it to someone else.

This place is a true rip off and will in every way take advantage of you in the middle of the winter. I am not afraid to show my name and number if someone would like to file a class action suit against this company for all of their wrong doing that they are getting away with. Please feel free to email me if there other people out there just like me going through this.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Been with this Company almost 2 years. Have always paid timely. Recently experienced financial difficulty during 20 deg weather and was treated like trash. Explained to “Amy” my situation, just had a newborn. Was told to take my baby to a neighbor's house. “There must be at least one person in your family that has a job that can help you”. When I ran out of gas and called to report a potential gas leak, I was charged over $100 more dollars. Deliveries are never on time. Wait time over an hour just to speak with a rep. Amy has placed me on hold several times and never returned when I have asked for corporate's number or a local supervisor's contact info. Left messages with Amy for a supervisor to return call to no avail. They leave you on hold when they know you have no alternatives for heat. This should be illegal.

Original review: April 1, 2018

After 45 years of renting a tank from AmeriGas through all the name changes I decided to purchase the tank after being charged almost one dollar more per gallon than my neighbors who used other companies. I discussed the purchase with my local office and my desire to have the tank leak tested before buying it. I was told that their employees that delivered the gas checked the tank every time it was filled. The first time that another company tested it after the purchase it leaked from almost every gauge on the tank. I personally watched the other company test it. I was discouraged to say the least. Now I am waiting for a technician to come and replace all the gauges so I can get propane. My tank was red tagged. So much for their drivers checking the tank every fill. I feel that the company was very dishonest with a 45 year customer.

Original review: March 28, 2018

First of all, their prices are absolutely insane. We were taking a 5 Gallon Tank and filling it at U-Haul down the street for less per gallon then they wanted to charge us at purchasing 200 gallons at a time. We shopped other propane companies in our area and called them asking if they would at least come close to the other company's prices. They would say they were going to get a discount amount and call me back. Never receive a call. Called to have the tank picked up, asked if there were any fees. No, no fees. Took them over two months to pick our tank up. Then a month later, I receive an envelope from them. Thinking it was junk mail, because we had been with another company now for almost three months. Receive a second letter, open it, it is a statement saying we owe over $100 (now late fees of $38 p/m are being tacked on).

I call them, explain that I was told there was no pick up fee, could they send me a copy of the contract we signed showing there was a fee. She agrees to send to me and call me back to let me know it has been sent. Receive nothing that day. Call the following day, she tells me she is not at the office where my contract is located until the following week. I follow up the following week with her, she says she will send the contract and follow up with a phone call. Never receive anything. Get a call from a call center representative last week, explain to her the history. She tells me that she will note my account that if we call in and pay the initial pick up fee they will wave the late fees. Today, I call in to pay the bill, I get the very first girl I spoke with, who never followed up. Of course she's going to say there are no notes from this other agent.

I paid the bill including the late fees. After paying the bill I requested the number for the corporate office. I wanted to get to the bottom of why the notes were not put on my account as promised last week. The customer service number (800 number) told me there WERE notes on the account but that the name had been changed when this girl pulled it up today. WTH?? Then wouldn't say anymore, said I needed to talk to the District Manager in my area. This is a very shady, unprofessional company. They are all about the money grab and nothing about service. THEIR HOLD MESSAGE SAYS: "CUSTOMER SERVICE & SAFETY ARE OUR #1 PRIORITY". THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LAUGHABLE.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They are just horrible in regards to reliability. We have "automatic" delivery which is never automatic. Frequently end up running out of gas (and we aren't using up at a high rate. They just don't come) so end up calling for emergency delivery when we realize that we have run out and then they charge additional fees even though we have paid up on time and should have received our delivery earlier. They know they have you over a barrel because technically they own the tank even if it is buried on your property. Well today we have had it and are going to pay to have this tank dug up and a new one installed from a more reliable company. If I ever move, I will not even consider buying a house with AmeriGas as the contract even if it is my dream house. They are that bad.

AmeriGas Company Information