2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.27/5

AmeriGas Reviews

Original review: May 12, 2020

I live in a townhome complex but I have my own propane tank. Every other unit is a duplex and share a tank. The association moved away from Amerigas for poor service about 2 years ago. I thought I had a guaranteed price after talking with the folks at Amerigas. Wrong assumption. I was actually being charged almost a dollar more per gallon this past winter than other propane companies in the area. Once I brought this to their attention and hounded them, they gave me a credit of about 70 cents/gallon. But now I can't trust them to not gouge me on price again. I switched to another company. I called Amerigas to pick up their empty tank and was told it would cost me $69.95 to pick it up! No one ever mentioned that! Stay away from these folks.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I just bought a new home, it has propane serviced by Amerigas. I signed up for service then started receiving emails to finish my account. I followed all the email and on-line instructions and it took me hours to get the on-line account set-up. I talked to people on the phone, went back and forth on the website...nothing works, their website a lot to be desired. Finally got it done, all is good. Then, it started all over again! Phone calls, emails, all saying I need to set up my account. So I started again. This time I went straight to a person. Found out I need to pay for someone to come out and do some testing on a system already running. Why? It's a $70 bill for absolutely NOTHING! If you don't have Amerigas installed, don't! Biggest pain in the rear I ever went through!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I was a customer of AmeriGas, for 15 years. If you have the opportunity to use propane at your residence, do not contract with this company and if they already have one of their tanks on site, do yourself a favor and have then remove it, and invest in your own, it will be well worth it. They have these payment options you choose each year, and tack on a $125 "sign up" fee. This is every year, regardless of how long you have been paying them for over priced propane. They estimate your usage and always cover themselves by estimating high. That way they can use your money all year long, and then apply your credit overage to the next year and make you feel like your bill is going down, but it really isn't.

After 15 years at the same address, I recently moved out of state. I cancelled my service December 3rd, 2019 and had a credit of $671 in my account. They said it would take 6 weeks to "process" my return. Seriously? In this day and age, it's going to take 6 weeks? I called after 6 weeks and they said it was still being "processed". Meanwhile, they kept sending me invoices for charges to my account for services I had already canceled. I called again after 8 weeks, and was given the same story about "in process", so I called the corporate office, since the regional office in Hagerstown, MD was just "BS ing" me.

The corporate customer service rep. (Shella), was very apologetic, and said that within 3 business days, I would receive a call from either Steve **, or Joseph **, who were Regional Directors, and they would personally address the fact that AmeriGas was holding on to my $671 credit, while sending me past due invoices for payment. I was never contacted by either of these "corporate professionals". More weeks went by and I called corporate again. I was told that "this was a matter to be handled by the local office in Hagerstown", and they were the ones responsible for processing the credit I was owed. How pathetic.

So, back to square one, I called the local office in Hagerstown and was told, "your credit is being processed", and you should receive your check at any time, as they verified my new address for the 5 time, since December. In conclusion, I did receive my credit for $671 in March, 2020. Do yourself a favor, steer clear of this utility racket. I used to think the phone company was bad, but they are angels compared to AmeriGas. Hands down the worst utility company I have dealt with in the 11 residences I have lived in over 9 States in this country.

Original review: March 19, 2020

Had a very positive outcome with an issue I had with Amerigas in Homestead, FL. Just have to give a shout out and thank you to Adoris, Luis and Carlos! If you have had a bad experience with Amerigas, you must not be dealing with the Homestead office, as they are top notch and VERY customer satisfaction oriented! Thank you to a great team in Homestead!

Original review: March 16, 2020

I'll be brief... 1. Amerigas is VERY rude. Every time you call for a delivery they respond with "you know we need to run a hard credit check or have a credit card on file." I've had a credit card on file for 4 ** years yet every time they act like I don't understand you have to pay for things. WTF? The worst part is, with the above attitude, they will charge you for 60 gallons, knowing they won't be able to fit it all. Then they don't refund your money. They "apply a credit" to your account. BUT THEY NEVER USE IT!!!! I'm on the phone with those ** now, get this...I have over TWO ** YEARS of credits they haven't been applying. Someone needs to sue this SOBS. GET YOUR PROPANE ANYWHERE ELSE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

This company is not reputable. They are INCREDIBLY overpriced and do not care about their customers. I've never had to do business with a propane company until a few months ago when I purchased my house. I warn anyone who requires propane at their home/business to STEER CLEAR of Amerigas. Choose ANY other propane company. You'll be pay significantly less and won't be left without heat and water for weeks at a time.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I had bought propane from V-1 Propane for many years. AmeriGas bought V-1. I liked the delivery man and tried to stay with the company. However, I always had problems with Amerigas billing. First, Amerigas adds on about $20 in fees and they don't tell you about them upfront. The other propane companies here don't do that. Second, AmeriGas would say they would match another company's lower price. Then my bill would come with the regular price, requiring me to make an extra phone call to get the bill corrected. Now they are leaving me phone messages to call them about filling my tank. I wonder if they are also selling my contact information to other companies. It appears you can only opt out of them selling your information if you live in California. I bought propane from V-1 for 10 years. AmeriGas lost my business after two fills.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I was an Amerigas customer for around 3 years. This is a horrible company. Their customer service is bad and they will try to take you for as much money as they possibly can with ridiculous fees and costs. The final straw was when they tried to bill me for cancelling my service and picking up their tank. Nothing but a money grab as I was going out the door. I switched to a local propane company and couldn't be happier.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I am looking to switch propane vendors from Amerigas due to numerous customer support issues. We purchased a home that already had service from Amerigas. Without thinking much about it I signed the agreement to continue service with us. After some disappointing service and support issues we found a new highly rated vendor. When I called Amerigas about discontinuing service they told me it is my responsibility to have the 60 year tank excavated for them to pick it up. Think twice before signing with them and I recommend researching vendor options before doing so you won't get handcuffed with an ancient tank that they won't simply abandon and force you to pay a contractor to remove it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I am renting a beautiful home in Spring, Tx. that I love so much! When I first moved in I was told the owner normally filled the tank two times per year. The tank has been filled 4 times since March. There are two people in our home and we keep are heater at 69 degrees. They come and fill up the tank randomly and now I have paid $1200.00 in gas since August. The Amerigas representative insists there is no leak, but that gas prices are now above $4.00, I just received a quote from another company for $2.09 per gallon. I can't believe anyone still uses this disgusting company!

AmeriGas Company Information