3.38/5

Need a utility company?

306 AmeriGas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2019

Run away. Do not use them. They do not care anything about their customers. Go electric or use a different propane company. I have not had a hot shower in 2 days because of them. Let me see how quickly they can remove their tank before I start charging them storage for it.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been in my home for five years, of those five years I have been a customer of AmeriGas on two separate occasions. In the 2015-2016 heating season I used Amerigas, and had no issues, even when I switched out the next year for a competitor with a cheaper price. Thought they were great at the time. In the 2017-2018 heating season, I went back to Amerigas because no one could match their offered price. When speaking with the rep from the local office he said NOTHING about a new change in their terms. When I called in September of 2018 to try and lock in a good price for the season, I was quoted $2.19 a gallon, (I was paying $1.29 for the prior year) when everyone else was quoting $1.69 for the current year.

I was also informed "there was no more "lock in's" left available". Never have I or anyone I have spoken to heard of there being a cut off on the amount of "lock in" prices available to customers. The rep also told me my contract ended in October of 2018, so I still had my current pricing available. I opted to get one last fill since it was less then what everyone was quoting me. Anyone who uses propane knows you shop for the cheapest price. So when I was told almost double what everyone else was quoting and I could not lock in my price I decided to go somewhere else. I informed the rep I would be getting one last fill but being they are quoting $2.19 a gallon I would be shopping around. Again he said nothing about a change in their terms.

Mind you our "contract" was all done in email, never did I get a letter in the mail about a change and my "signature" is the rep filling out the papers, including my name, and me emailing back saying, "Okay." So I went to another company. Used up the gas in the Amerigas tank and swtiched to the competitors tank. I stored the Amerigas tank on my property empty until April 2019 when the snow thawed and the ground was solid enough to drive on. My account showed a zero balance due as of April 2019. When calling to let them know they can pick up their tank, the same rep I spoke to before now informs me that it is fine. I want to leave but there is a $149.99 charge for early termination of the 3 year contract!! I argued with that rep and another in the office over their intentionally misleading me as I would NEVER lock in a three year contract for propane. Told them to forget it and leave the tank.

Then called back 20 minutes later, after looking at the "contract" and not seeing anything about a three years, told them to come get their tank off my property and I will fight them in court if need be. A month later, now May of 2019 their tank was still sitting on my property, so I called the corporate office and told them what was going on.

They had the rep call the next day, he again tries to hit me for the $149.99 for early termination. I again argue with him, he keeps telling me "calm down, we will get this straightened out" and he has a copy of my "contract". Told him I also have the "contract" and I would never agreed to three years. Point out again the rep said NOTHING in September 2018 about a three year contract. He claims "the service contract is not the same as the price contact", this is also a new one to myself and anyone I have asked (even competitors). He emails me the "contract" and also lied and states the tank is still on my property because he thought I was going to keep it per our last conversation.

After searching their contract, they have it stuck in the new terms that they have a three year contract, their changes were sent to junk mail, not once do they make sure you know they changed. They also stated in their new contract that if you use their service for one month, you agree to the new terms (also predatory for those who just lock in for the year) I email the rep back (the same one who said we can work it out) and tell him I see where they put it in the terms and per our LAST conversation I said to come get the tank. (That has been in my current providers way for months.) He responds back that on top of the $149.99 fee they are also hitting me for $49.99 dispatch fee for getting their tank off my property. They came out Friday 5-10-19 and got their tank, the driver lied and said he could not get my signature.

I watched him walk up to my door fill out paperwork, stick it in the door handle without even trying to knock, play with my cats and leave after busting branches off my apple tree that is not even next to the propane tank. Then Tuesday 5-14-19, my billing app informs me I have a past due bill for $209.29 for Amerigas. The rep deliberately charged and put the bill due 5-13-19 (there is no due date on the papers the driver left), so now I have a past due bill with them. I have been fighting with them for months and I am now going above them for their predatory practices with their "contract" and for the retaliatory practices of their local rep. They deliberately give you the lowest price to get you to be a customer, say nothing about a three year contract and then double charge you after the first year and if you try to leave they hit you with high fees. Stay far away from this company if you can.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Amerigas, I think, is the worst and greediest utility company I have ever seen. I bought gas from them for years. When I did not need gas anymore, they insist of paying tank rental which I have never heard of. I suggested that they remove their tank from my land, they say, I have to pay for the removal and they will not repair the damage to the land. If the tank is theirs then they should pay for the removal. If it is mine then they should not charge rental. This is a policy to extort money from customers. I have been paying rental year after year to no end and they keep increasing it. Is there any way out? Any legal minds or consumer protection agency out there who want to figure out this policy of greed and extortion?

Original review: May 9, 2019

This is the worst propane company on the planet. They always charge more than they quote you on the phone so I bought my tank and started getting propane from a competitor. Then they bought out the competitor and said I have to pay them (AmeriGas) tank rental as well as buy my propane from them again. After spending hours on the phone with these ** and never getting to speak with someone with a brain I finally just paid their extortion so they can't destroy my credit. If the rating would allow negative numbers that would be the score they received from everyone.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I would suggest anyone needing propane to go anywhere except to this company. They give you an excellent starting price but beware this soon goes up to almost double of any other company. They charge more for the rental of a tank and will charge you if you want to call in for propane. They charge other fees that the other companies do not. I switched companies and the one I am now with calls when prices go down in the summer months so you can fill your tank while it's cheap.

Amerigas never did this in all the years I used them, they are only about making as much money as possible. They claim they charge so much because they have trained technicians, well so do the other companies and better propane, when they get their propane from the same place as other companies. Check out Pirate Gas, that is who I went with and am so happy, just wish I would have done this years ago, instead of thinking that all propanes companies were pretty much the same when it comes to pricing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: March 29, 2019

After a series of missed appointments and billing issues, Amerigas backed their truck over our sewage tank and crushed the top despite having been warned not to back-up near the house. They took no responsibility, and refused to pay for $7,000 worth of damage. The company used to be locally owned and operated, Synergy Gas, with good service. But, they were purchased by the larger Amerigas, which is a terrible provider. Please find and support a local company - try Crown Propane or any other number of providers. This is not a credible company.

Original review: March 25, 2019

My years of dealing with this company, at least 5-7, had been mostly positive. There's a different driver than I had previously. All of my past experience was approximately 200-250 gallons for the entire year. I paid for a total fill in October last year (80% of 250 tank). In January I had to have them back for another 100 gallons, then last week (only 2 months later) the tank registered 28%, so I ordered another 100 gallons. Today the guy delivered and I realized he isn't the same man that had been doing delivery prior to last fall. After he left I went to the tank and took the receipt he left. The receipt shows the starting point of 25% which is correct; however, the receipt says that the ending fill is 65%. The gauge CLEARLY says 55%, a difference of 10% or 25 gallons short!

I called the company and the woman said I have to talk to the driver because she wasn't here. I have taken pictures of the receipt and the gauge and offered to send it as proof. Again, she said I will have to talk to the driver. It appears the driver has shorted me, possibly on the last three deliveries based upon prior years usage, but I have proof of this one. I will be changing companies as soon as I have used this gas, and will not pay for the 25 gallons he shorted me that I have evidence of. At $3.19 a gallon, plus taxes and fees they add, I calculate it's a overcharge of at least $85-90 on this delivery alone. I thought it was strange that I needed gas again so soon, I believe it was short on prior deliveries. But, I can't prove those.

Original review: March 19, 2019

When we bought our house, 9 years ago, the previous homeowners had an in-ground tank installed with a local family owned propane company. They sold to AmeriGas and we have been getting robbed ever since. My neighbors get propane at $1.52 a gallon (from another propane company), AmeriGas is currently charging us $3.99 a gallon!?!? Not to mention a $400.00 tank rental if we don't purchase enough propane each year. If we refuse to pay, they lock your tank and shut it off. We are basically stuck paying extreme prices, no matter what we do. If we want the tank removed, we have to pay for it, and the ground testing also. They offered to sell us the tank for $6,000.00! In order to have heat and hot water, we are stuck paying extreme prices. Frustrated in PA.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I live in the Rockies, in Gilpin County. Neighbors and friends kept warning me about using AmeriGas. I couldn't get a clear picture of the problems outside of the fact that their prices are really high - about a dollar per gallon of gas above local competitors. I went with AmeriGas, because they always seemed pleasant and willing to work with you when winters drove monthly gas bills over $500. The problems I ended up having, besides the annoyance of technicians never leaving delivery notices, was the false promise of assistance in offering a "payment plan." I thought I was making a 3 month plan to get caught up by Springtime, when propane bills lessen considerably and are nonexistent in the summer months, while maintaining my service. The customer service rep pleasantly offered this "special arrangement" as if the company was providing a viable option for getting through the winter months with their exorbitant prices.

Instead, I later learned that after arrangements are made, the company stops delivery until the 3 month plan is complete. I asked the rep how I was supposed to get through 3 months without propane in single-degree weather. I asked him how this payment plan was of any use to me, since they would be cutting off my propane regardless. His answer was that the company didn't want me to keep getting further behind until I was buried under and the bills were too high. I explained that propane was seasonal and there was the spring and summer to get caught up. He didn't have an answer. There is no benefit to the customer in getting on a payment plan other than wasting paper and time. I'm still going to be sitting in an unheated house in the dead of winter. I was so disgusted by this that I scraped together the $762 and immediately contacted a significantly more affordable competitor. Goodbye AmeriGas!

Original review: March 11, 2019

AmeriGas customer service is terrible. They do not notify you when they are delivering. I prepaid for propane, and the delivered it. They said my tank was empty, when it wasn't, so they could charge me more. They disconnected my line, and placed a lock on a tank that I own. They are forcing me to pay them to come and remove the lock and do an inspection so I can heat my home. The idea of extorting a family, withholding access to heat (that was paid for) in the winter is unreasonably cruel. They will hide behind the idea they care about my safety, but I bought gas from them. They don't own my system. They had no right to disconnect it. They have lost my business, but I cannot pay a competitor because they locked my tank.

Original review: March 8, 2019

AmeriGas is the worst company I have ever dealt with. We are stuck with them as well since our builder chose them to put in our propane tank. They do take 7-10 business days, that is two weeks for delivery and we tried COD thinking we could have faster delivery and some control over the prices. We were wrong. I call customer service and cringe when I hear “customers are all priority.” The $1500 to buy the tank and the mess it will leave behind is just not feasible right now so we are stuck. I am a realtor so I do tell everyone I meet to never use this company ever!

Original review: March 8, 2019

11/20/18 call them to check out stove that was lighting then would die out. They said they would send a technician out to look. Instead they sent a driver out to look at it and he black flag stove when he light it once and didn't look at anything else. So was out of stove for two months till I could buy new stove. On 2/2819 they came to hook up new stove with a time frame of 2 to 4. So I leave work early to be there and after calling them at four to see what happen they finally show up at 630 pm. Now it's 3/6/19 and brand new stove is doing the same thing as old stove to find out it was their regulator that is shot. Have to pour hot water on it to have gas to stove. And they can't get here till Tuesday 3/12/19. So bought new stove and still can't cook because of their ignorance.

Original review: March 7, 2019

AmeriGas is the worst company ever, so glad we decided not to go with them however the previous owner of our house did. Now we are stuck with a their propane tank on our property. They keep scheduling their pick you up date when it is too warm and it'll leave rats in our yard. Meanwhile the company we are with can't put their propane tank in the right location and it is sitting on a empty lot that's not owned by us!! I would never recommend AmeriGas to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

19 yrs with gas meter. In 12/18 emergency switch to tank by AmeriGas since the ONLY other client in my area had a leak. 01/11/19 ran out of gas, called for delivery, learning that it takes a while unless we pay extra. So we requested a 2nd tank to be installed as well $304. 02/21/19 1st tank ran out so we connected 2nd tank. Stove ignited but did not stay on. When I advised AmeriGas I was asked if I switched the gauge correctly then the lady said it's automatic. I was confused and hurt by a $150 tank that is empty. A tech was scheduled 02/22/19 to investigate. No show. Spent Birthday weekend with no hot water and no stove. 02/25/19 called and was told due to other emergencies they're coming tomorrow. No fixed time. Anyone else has received EMPTY GAS TANK form AMERIGAS? Is it a monopoly like FPL? #AMERIGASHALFSTARRATING. Maureen **, no lie...

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

After securing an appointment with AmeriGas and paying $3.59 a gallon which supposedly was a BARGAIN rate “I was quoted $4.99 a gallon”. I called them yesterday morning to find out where I stood with the delivery. I was told that they would be coming later than in the day. I asked if they had any idea what time and she said, “No it would be later in the day. Probably one of the last appointments.” I was told that they would come between 3 and 6 PM. No one showed up. No one called. So this morning I called them again and asked them what happened to the delivery and they wouldn’t give me any information.

I was told that it would be up to 12 days 12 business days to get my propane which I said was unacceptable. I was told that it will have to be rescheduled and was given no other information. They are not dependable and I would not recommend them. We will be changing to Fallbrook Propane!!! We unfortunately are committed to a $1000 bill to get our delivery. This company gouges and we are truly sorry that we didn’t change out the tank when we moved here instead of using them.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

The rudeness to customers has always been a problem for last 9 years BUT this latest issue?? I have a buried 500 gallon tank about 70' from the house. I had my son go over lift lid to check gauge, he commented he smelt gas. I walked over and being a senior citizen could faintly smell it with my old nose. The % was at 22%, which was strange because it was at 60% just 3 weeks ago and I usually get about 1% a day. When they called me back in response to my email that I may have a possible leak the girl said they would come out immediately and lock it out. I asked why can't they just check with sensors to see if tank, gauges, diaphragms were leaking. She said policy is to shut off??

I said I am at hospital with severe dehydration of flu, and cannot be home for an hour because they need to take blood also. Now I am a senior citizen, in the hospital and they are going to shut the gas off to my house in the middle of winter with below freezing weather. When I got home the gas was locked out and my heat was off. I was left a message to call the following day so they could come out to look at?? So here it is. Midnight temp is down to 57 degrees already, I am multilayered sweaters trying not to freeze to death worrying my water pipes might freeze and burst, while having the shakes from a fever from flu wonder how this policy makes sense?? If it was a leak in house but outside, why could they not check leak outside and fix repair or say fine and leave my heat on??

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This company is horrible in customer service and customer care. Among numerous issues I have had with initial setup, their contract is basically a clean slate for them to charge you whatever they want. The contract tells you to contact your office for tank rental fees, and when you do, they still don't commit to a price. They don't tell you the minimum number of gallons you need to purchase or list the tank rental fee on the contract so that they can charge you whatever they want, because the contract says that they reserve the right to change their fees at any time. That is Bull Crap. We, the customer, agree to pay, but the company is not upfront about what the charge will be.

Specifically, when I signed up a year ago for the service, I was told that I would not be charged a tank rental fee as long as I ordered a minimum number of gallons each year. The minimum number was never established and there was no tank rental amount listed on my contract. I received an invoice this week for tank rental and when I called about it was told that the rules had changed and that tank rental would be charged every year regardless of the number of gallons purchased. THAT IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR!!! They did not send out renewed terms, nor was I given an opportunity to reject the new charges. They removed the tank rental fee for this year because there was a note in my account when I called back in Dec 2018 about refills and tank fees.

I was told then that I might get a fee but the second delivery of propane should meet the min requirement and if I did get a fee they would remove it. The customer service rep I spoke with told me that the ONLY reason he is removing that fee is because of the note already in my account. I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere!!! But if you decide to do business with them, ensure that your contract is filled completely, keep all receipts, and take notes and names during EVERY call with them. Better yet, correspond with them only via email so that you can have a paper trail! SMH!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have had nothing but problems with this company. The last 4 time they filled the tanks they left them leaking. I probably would not have been able to find the last leak if I wasn’t a steam fitter. The service guy that came out to look at it told me the regulator wasn’t leaking and it was normal to smell propane around the tank connections. After I told him what I do for a living I took the regulator apart and showed him the torn diaphragm. He then asked why I didn’t repair it myself (their regulator mind you) and then proceeded to accuse me of colluding with another AmeriGas employee to create this leak. I’ve never experienced such unprofessional behavior. AmeriGas will be getting their tanks returned in the spring. I’m done with them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I order propane on Friday, 1/25/2019. The weather turned bitter cold on Tuesday, 01/29/2019. I asked when my propane would be delivered and was told that it would be 7 to 10 days but they would make it quicker if I paid more money. They don’t care if their customers live or die in cold weather only about their bottom line. I paid for this delivery but will run the tank out and find another company after this. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We are a one income family. My husband works hard for the money that AmeriGas is so eager to steal. Current price of propane per gallon is $2.54 at the min. Fill of 80 gallons is equal to $246.54 -a HUGE payment if you're a family of 4 (soon to be 5). I called seeking information on payment plans and the woman I spoke to said we were not able to have a payment plan, as it was a one time thing- which we apparently took advantage of in November. We are expecting a snowstorm this week and our tank is at 15% and now I'm trying to figure out how to heat the house if we run out.

I called around town and a local business (Owen's Energy) is only charging $2.35 per gallon or $2.29 for military- which we are. AmeriGas has the worst customer service and are the most expensive around here and unfortunately due to renting, we are not able to change companies, otherwise believe me, I would have already switched. When buying our home in the new future, I will stay far away from AmeriGas.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

This corporation cares NOTHING about its customers. I had a propane leak but was told it was my fault. (Not according to my heating and cooling guy.) I was told I couldn't get more propane because I had a balance on my account (my home heating credit wasn't credited to my account when I turned it in), etc, etc... I was told today that you get what you pay for & when line #5 goes down in Michigan they will be the only supplier. I left them because of their crappy customer service and price gouging. Double standards as well. I was charged for tank pick up but my neighbor wasn't. Why?? The general manager Margo runs her mouth and listens to nothing of what is being said. Beyond disgusted! Customer service doesn't exist anymore. There has been a class action suit and that should have told me something from the get go. This company will NEVER be recommended by me or the others that have been taken advantage of in my small town.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Called for delivery on a Thursday, order for 100 gallons was taken by rep. Called following Wednesday concerning my delivery and was told by another rep my order was never submitted! I am out of propane and told now it will take 7 to 10 days! It is below zero!!! And nothing I could do!!! Really??? What I found even more amazing I was told they were trying to call me but I kept hanging up on them!!! I live in the mountains and definitely need a morning caring reliable company!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Please read. Might save you some money, I have been getting ripped off since I moved into my house for 13 years. I live in Wake Forest, NC. It's completely unfair to consumers. Here's the deal, these people have been charging me 3 times as much per gallon for propane. I am like my bill is triple what I should be paying. I noticed a bill for over 1100 dollars for propane fill. Why because the per gallon was over 4 dollars per gallon plus a bunch of fees.

Other companies are charging half that price. I am ok with companies making money but they darn well know this is morally wrong/but hey they are not regulated and its capitalism at its best. Now that I know it's up to me to find a company with better ethics and moral. But guess what. They own the tank, and Nancy quickly told me I would have to pay to have it removed (thousands). What a rip-off, I mean really, what kind of customer service is that. She offered to lower my bill by half but that is not the point. I have to call to do this. They know this too high for a customer to pay.

Why why why would any company do this. It's because they are large and don't care about a few customers being pissed off. The Execs at the company set in a board room and said, "Hey this is how we can get a few more dollars." And they know several customers will sign up for autopayment and forget this exist like me. I hope this starts a chain reaction and they get thousands of calls and have to change their process. I am in search of a new company, I will pay to have the tank removed so I never have to deal with them again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

On auto refill with AmeriGas. Ran out of propane in the winter. Took an entire week to refill tank. Average price for the state of VA for residential propane for the past 4 weeks has been under $3.10/gal. They charged me $4.75. Really?!? This is in Charlottesville VA.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have had the worst experience with this company. They serviced my fathers home and when he passed I kept the service on the empty building. At 4.86 a gallon they claimed to have filled the tank on 1/7 but on 1/20 the tank was at 40%. The heat is set at 50 just to keep the foundation from heaving. So I called when I noticed the crazy amount of propane being used on a small 12x15' space. The customer service rep assured me it was normal usage and then went on to explain how an empty building uses more fuel than a full capacity home. SERIOUSLY!

I am not a stranger to winter nor am I a stranger to heating outbuildings in the winter but they insisted and when I asked for a leak check they insisted some more and said no to that. I am changing companies now but mind you not without paying more as they will be charging me 59.99 to come pick up their own empty tank.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Your service is horrible. Your website has no way to order and half your links do not work. Last time I received a delivery was November of 2017!!! I am out of propane and guess we have to wait UNTIL MONDAY to order. Also, every time I have to call for delivery I ask you to put in my profile that I have a dog and you must call in advance so we can put the dog away and unlock the gate. Driver showed up a few months ago and did not call, therefore he was not able to deliver. He was to come back but did not! We are out of propane now and it is very cold. Please call me to arrange immediate delivery and please note my file YOU MUST CALL FIRST! Your service is horrible. I WOULD CHANGE MY SERVICE IF I COULD.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

This company is unbelievable. Called to complain that their prices were close to double other companies, so they moved us to "will call" without telling us, so they are not monitoring. Ran out of gas yesterday, called them and found out that we had been moved to will call and it will take 7-10 day for their overpriced propane. Time to look elsewhere. Stay away at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

AmeriGas is a JOKE. Have had them not even a year and am on my fourth time filling my tank since November. That’s at my heat running at 61 degrees every day. My landlord came up one day to tell me the gas had a leak. The guy called me and said “why aren’t you home?” Well I was under the assumption I didn’t have to be there. He got an attitude and told me he would go out later and check it and proceeded to tell me there’s no leak. Well please explain to me how I’m filling up my tanks for the fourth time since November and it’s only January!

The supervisor is a JOKE! They don’t care about their customers. The last time they came they overfilled our tanks and charged us $615 but quoted me at $230 to fill just one tank which is what I asked for. Called the supervisor cause I’m on week 2 and 1/2 and my gas is reading at 20. It’s -1 degrees outside. She told me even though he overfilled the last tank and it’s their fault there’s nothing they can do. We have to pay out remaining $500 and another $300 up front to get our gas filled. So in the past almost three months I have given them $1,800 for propane.

When I told her I should not have to pay that off right now, that past due balance was their mistake she didn’t wanna hear it. Funny how I called pro gas and with two new tanks a gauge and to fill them both up is $455. But Amerigas wanted $700 to fill both my tanks plus all the other ** money I owe them from their screw up last time. The supervisor is a joke. Do not get gas from this company. They're crooks!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I was with this company for many years. I stayed with them because of the inconvenience of switching companies. I found out that they have been charging me almost twice as much as the next highest company in my area. I called to get a better price and they told me that was their price and would not change. I switched company and am getting the propane for less than half the price they were charging. They then had the nerve to charge me a fee to come and get their tanks. I would never recommend this company as they are crooks and the service sucks!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

They are the rudest people to deal with and the worst company I've ever encountered. They also advertise free tank fill if you run out. I am on auto delivery and auto pay and they still wouldn't honor that.

AmeriGas Company Information