AmeriGas

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After reading several complaints from Consumer Affairs I see that dozens of people have had similar problems dealing with AmeriGas. It seems they don't care.

I have had several problems with this company. Have contacted my local office and customer care, am promised that there will be a solution that management will contact me. After being a customer for 11 years with a perfect payment rate I would thing that common decency would at least warrant a courtesy call. Here is a list of the some of the problems we have had with this company.

First the meter on THEIR tank is not send sending information back to the company, so instead of fixing the problem (what an unusual concept) they decided to just fill us up whenever they were in the area so we were getting filled even when the tank was at 60% (and of course getting charged the delivery fee) and always right before our contract is up eating up any accrued extra of the payments and of course raising the monthly payment. This led to us requesting a "will call" delivery system, instead of them just fixing the problem that is in their tank. At this point I started looking around for another company and found out that the local company was 1.29 per gallon less.

After contacting AmeriGas several times they agreed to charge us at a reduced rate rather than lose the customer (this rate was still .20 cents higher than the competitor). However, this resulted in them charging us at the original rate of 3.29 pr gallon and us making several calls each month "reminding" them of the contract that we both signed. This went on for 3 months till they finally "corrected" the problem. If we were not on top of our bills they would have kept charging the higher rate at 1.09 pr gallon. Average difference of 300.00+ per fill. Now, February in the Pocono mountains and of course cold. We call them at 32% and were told originally they would be there later in the week.

At the end of the week, no delivery, so more calls were placed. We were then told 7-10 days but not to worry they would be there the next day. No delivery and told they would be there Monday. Monday more calls, no delivery. Tuesday more calls, no delivery. After 5 calls to the Customer Care line (More like the "I don't" care line) we were promised that 1.) management would call to speak to me or my wife. 2.) They would call to give us an approximate time for delivery. It is now 1 PM and have not received any calls so have called them again. Now being told they will be here within hour. Not placing much trust in their word. To me it feels as this complaint means nothing because they really just don't care. My hope is that someone reads this and the dozens of other complaints and makes the wise decision to find a different provider.

The reason I'm even signing in is I just got back from town and was told they can't fill my 7.5 propane tanks? Because my tanks were over 10 years old. This is the most stupid and unfair thing I've ever heard??? I have never ever heard about any propane tank explode or??? I just threw one away because the valve quit working??? I want to tell anyone responsible for this stupid idea ever done. Please make sure someone sees this and hopefully does something about it???

The price I paid for gas was always over a dollar more than the competition, I finally cancelled the service or lack of. I was charged 59.99 to return my rented tank that I had for 3 years and during that time I paid almost 300.00 in rental fees, what a rip off.

This is the worst company in sonoma county. I am a 79 year old senior, my bill is paid and my tank is about empty. They will not fill for 5 days. I phoned last week, and told them I needed a fill and they didn't come. I phoned again yesterday and told them it was about out, they don't care. My tank will be out by tomorrow. They gorge on the price. They are the highest cost in this area by a substantial amount. For a senior living on social security of $925 dollars a month these people are evil. They should be put out of business. They also lie about the phone calls. They make no mention of the call I made last week.

We just discontinued AmeriGas service. Here's why: After 15 years of propane price per gallon rising to $3.60, we called for a refill at the 20% level on January 1, 2017. Today is January 10, below freezing at night here, and no sign of AmeriGas so far. We ran out of propane 4 days ago. They say our delivery is still 7-10 days out. We are not kids, both seniors. So we called a competitor yesterday, who sent someone out this morning, and scheduled our new tank and service for next week at $1.59 per gallon. Now AmeriGas wants a hefty fee to remove their rental tank. Bite me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

We woke up to find our fuel ran out on a Saturday morning which happened to be on the New Year's weekend. I called the emergency line to be told since my account was past due, I would have to deal with my local branch. Of course they were closed for the holiday for a three day weekend. I even offered to pay over the phone so I could get heat in my home. Too Bad...would only repeated I need to deal with the local branch. So for the next three days we went without any heat.

Called on Tuesday as soon as they opened. I paid them my past due to be told I would have to wait another day. The time frame given to me was 8-12 the next day. Next day - 11:45 no show so far. I called my local office to be told "Sorry but you are lucky to have been squeezed onto the delivery list for today." I am apparently #18 on the list. Why give me a time frame when you have no intention to show up in that time frame? So while I was voicing my concerns and complaint, the young lady who I was talking to though she put me on hold while getting the manager for me to talk to...well she forgot to put me on hold and I heard everything she said about me. Horrible customer service. Why pay all this money when this company really can not care less if they are providing good customer service or if I have heat in my house! I believe it is time to shop around.

I am on an automatic replenishment program with Amerigas. I lived at my house for over 10 years. I ran out of propane this summer and had to get an emergency shipment. I noticed my tank was getting low (under 30%) so I called them to let them know (which I shouldn't have to do because they should be forecasting my demand -- but I did anyway). They said they would expedite my shipment. They came yesterday, filled up my tank, but they didn't turn on the gas to my house because it was below 2%. They didn't notify me, so I woke up this morning with no heat, no hot water, etc. I called them to find out what happened and asked why they didn't notify me. They said they left a "paper", which I still haven't seen. No phone call. No email, supposedly they left a paper document somewhere. Are we living in the 21st century or what?? I have a 3 year old with no heat this morning. Nice Job Amerigas.

Employee promised delivery on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - offered only 8 AM to 5 PM; originally called for delivery on December 19. When I called 4:30 PM on Wednesday told 6-7 people ahead of me but that I was definitely on schedule for delivery. No delivery. When I called this morning, told I was scheduled for delivery on 12/30! I pointed out that wasn't what was promised on Tuesday or Wednesday. The person who answered my call, then the supervisor, insisted that I was mistaken and the problem was mine. After 18 years of being a customer, I told the supervisor they offered no service. Last year I waited one month for a delivery. Needless to say, I'm in the process of locating another company for propane service. Amerigas is zero in customer service in my experience and opinion. BEWARE!

Awful company!! Had them for only 2 months as a new homeowner, the tank was already through them. Tank was down to 15% which I get you're supposed to call at 30% - I was unaware of. They put me down for a delivery and said I should be okay until someone delivered. Nope! Thankfully we have a wood burner to heat the house somewhat! They told me up to 7 business days to deliver (online it listed 7 days for the delivery, not specifying business days) by the 5th day they still did not have a driver scheduled and no clue yet when we would get propane!

Meanwhile it's been highs of 20 degrees!! Argued and argued and the lady just kept stating they tell customers to call at 30% and it was in the welcome packet. I told her customers are supposed to be a priority - meanwhile we have no heat! And since we ran out they were going to charge a $110 leak check fee on top of filling it! I terminated my contract early and ate the $150 early termination fee. I got a local company to bring a tank out and fill the same day! DO NOT USE AMERIGAS!!!

Price gouging - other local providers charge less than half. Called to be on auto-fill, on two tanks and they failed to come out on one of them. Consequently our tank went empty, then by the time the tank was filled the price was significantly higher. Upon investigation I found they are charging more than twice what other local providers are charging. Stay small, stay local, stay accountable.

The Propane industry is NOT regulated by our government in any way, shape or form, even though you are dealing with hazardous materials, as far as business ethics and customer relations and price gouging or any other business concerns!!! Every one has to complain to their Congressman to get this changed, or nothing will EVER change. They do what they want and rape the American public however they want, with no reprisals!!! Get the laws changed THEN something can be done!!!

Amerigas in Whitewater, WI is a disappointing company to work with. Their receptionist is nasty. Samantha is usually in a terrible mood and when, on rare occasion she is friendly on the phone, she doesn't record information properly. Furthermore, the employees often don't come when scheduled. They make excuses such as "the truck has broken down," or "I can't get the truck to the tank," a tank they have been servicing for years. They leave a note on the door and say they will reschedule, but you have to call Samantha numerous times and wait weeks to months to have them come back. We recently went with a new propane company and Amerigas had to come pick up their tank.

Once again it took much longer than they told us and they waited for a day after it rained. They made us sign a damage waiver and promised to not pick up the tank if the ground was too wet. Interestingly enough, once the damage waiver was signed, they showed up on the wettest day possible and ruined the yard. There are not many other propane companies that service this area, so I assume that is why they get away with this kind of poor business behavior.

Had a tank installed and everything OK for a couple of years. Then they started adding charges (Tank Service fee, Tank inspection fee, Valve inspection, etc.) on top of the rental fee and stated boosting the price of Propane. You are locked in with a contract and have no recourse. Final insult was when the price of Propane went to nearly $6 (everyone else charging a bit over $2) and the fees and cost of propane was nearly $900 a year for under 100 gallons. These people are blood sucking vultures!

Got a bill for October at 4.568 a gallon when the average is 2.82 a gallon. When I call they said, "Mistake. Sorry," but I don't believe them. This goes on all the time. Also NEVER sign a contract with them or you are going to have to pay more until it expires. Bad people, bad company. You can't trust them. Looking for some else.

Amerigas came and topped off my tank that had already been filled by another company (I own my tank). I never ordered the gas and when I called to talk to them about the order I was told I was on a forecast program. I told the rep I never signed up for a forecast program and had just had my tanked filled at 99 cents a gallon from H&H Gas and Amerigas charged me $2.689 per gallon, plus $10.59 for a Hazmat fee and a $4.72 Fuel Recovery fee. That's more than a 260% increase not counting the additional fees. I have access to the real price of propane and during the month of September the real price was $0.39 per gallon.

This is price gouging at its worst. When I told them to remove the gas I was told they are not able to do that. While the rep was very nice on the phone and said he would see what he could do to adjust the price, the fact is that Amerigas is filling tanks without any authorization and the consumer is stuck paying for the gas. We have multiple propane gas suppliers in this area and all of them are right around the $0.99 per gallon cost except for Amerigas. Don't buy gas from these people!

We just purchased our home about 2 months ago and the propane tank was sold to us as part of the deal since the sellers owned it. When we started calling local propane companies for quotes Amerigas employee told us that, "Oh, that tank is ours and we refunded the previous owners for the unused propane, so now you have to pay us for it". Needless to say I asked that they provide documentation about the tank lease (plus the serial number for me to verify) and the refund (btw, their own website says they issue no refunds). I had to call 3 days in a row to remind them.

Well, today, day 3, they finally said, "We dug through everything and we cannot find either document, so we'll just assume that the tank is yours..." Now, I did not feel like being nasty, so I just said thank you, have a nice day, but I wonder how many people will bite the bait and just give them the money. Luckily we have plenty of other providers in the area to work with, so of course I will not be using Amerigas... EVER!

I informed AmeriGas in July that I that after about 15 yrs, I was discontinuing their services and needed to have their tanks removed. I was then informed that there would be a removal fee and I won't be reimbursed for the gas remaining in the tanks. I have 2 tanks which are presently more than half full. Approximately 100 gallons. Which I paid for at approximately $3 per gallon. Today, I called inquiring about the pickup. I was told that they were awaiting a call from me to remove the tanks. I told the representative that I never changed my mind about the removal, I was going to call back to speak to someone about my disagreement about their recently revised policy changes and unreasonable charges. Which I did to no avail.

I have since then seen numerous postings about disgruntled customers who have been taken advantage of by AmeriGas. I have also fallen into this category. I feel like I've been BULLIED AND ROBBED AND RAPED! This company is retrieving approximately $300 in free gas which they will resell to another unfortunate soul. They have stored their tanks in my yard rent free for 6 weeks. It is a shame that companies like AmeriGas continue to grow at the expense of their customers. They need to be stopped. I'm sure there is some law that works in behalf of the poor little people like me.

After paying continuing steep propane prices for AmeriGas, on time and in full; our original company was taken over by them, I've now gone to another company. Since then I've had nothing but the run around and lies as to when they're going to pick up their and it's going on 4 months and nothing is being done!

A driver of my original propane company warned me that Amerigas was buying the company and my bills would skyrocket. Well it was true - after I had Amerigas I was charged over $4 per gallon! I don't know how they stay in business, they overcharge for propane and add a bunch of fees to the bill. Then when you complain about price and tell them you are changing companies they rely on an intimidating phone call to try and keep you. A lady called me and said I would have to pay $400 to dig up their tank for them or buy the tank for $200 + tax!! (which is funny because a couple years prior I asked to buy the tank and they said "we don't have any for sale" --- dah! It's already in the ground on my property!)

Needless to say I have switched companies and am now paying 1/2 the price! (and it's locked in for the year!) And to show you how well they keep up with stuff, after initially turning a driver away when I decided to change companies, I got that harassing phone call a week later, then a few days after that (luckily I was working outside my house) I see an Amerigas truck start backing up my driveway to deliver gas!! If I wasn't there he would have filled it up! I told him I no longer use Amerigas and he said, "You're still on my list."

When Amerigas came to remove my 78 year old mother's propane tank, they demolished her air condition unit which was 3 feet from the tank. No one in the house witnessed it so of course... The fact that she no longer had air that day it had to be vandalism, says Amerigas. When called they stated THAT could never happen. (Obviously they don't live in the real world where anything can happen.) So the workers of course didn't go back and report it, due to possibly losing their job. These people overcharge their customers by price gouging [Reason why my Mom is connecting to gas] so they vandalize their customer's property and never assume responsibility for it. This vandalism cost my Mother 3,000.00 dollars and they could care less. Pathetic people at the Lorain county facility...

OH YEAH!!! "If they did hit it there would be dents in the metal which would not damage the unit" says the uneducated secretary answering the phone. (There is no metal surrounding the air conditioner.) STAY AWAY FROM AMERIGAS. THEY ARE CROOKS. I RATE THEM -100 and they charged her 42.00 to pick up the tank.

Amerigas is a horrible company. Moved into a new house with a VERY old propane tank that did not have a working readout of the amount of propane left. They overcharge if they lease you a tank. We asked for new tank but they would never respond... UNTIL we put in new tank with new company and then OF COURSE they offered to put one in. They call repeatedly if you don't pay within a day and a half and all of the correspondence you get from them is "we want your money"... cheats.

I believe the tank did not work b/c they did not want it to work so they could always say it was empty or near empty. I do not believe we got the amount of propane they charged us for!! How could we tell?? Thus when they picked up the tanks they said one was empty but how could it be empty when we never experienced that it was empty -- continually using propane for our oven/stove. Interesting...so rebated 96 gallons on the propane tank for our shop. 120 gallon tank --- gave us 96 gallons and ZERO for the big tank for our house which could not have been empty!!!

It had not been that long since the 500 gallon tank was filled and weather was good so the majority of the use for it was hot water tank and oven/stove. Guess we must have used 400 gallons worth of propane on oven/stove & hot water tank. Magically it went to zero propane the day they picked it up. If it truly had no propane in it then it must have been leaked!!! I FEEL CHEATED. I'd never recommend them...never go back.

I just finished talking with Amerigas to have a summertime delivery of propane gas for a 100 gallon tank which I am being told is 50 gallons. @$3.42 per gallon = $171.85. When asked why there was a minimum delivery I was told that customers were asking for delivery of much less than 50 gallons and as he said because of a few "BAD APPLES" they now require a minimum delivery of propane in my case because of its size.

In reply to the insult that he paid to you and me, I told him "it goes with the territory and a minimum purchase should not be required". It's my understanding that the market both in oil and propane are awash in oversupply and that prices should be dropping, but Amerigas in order to compensate for the price drop and to maintain profit margins they are requiring minimum deliveries of propane. By what authority do they operate... Is there a law allowing a public utility? Such as Amerigas to do such a thing. If there is there should not be. But nothing will change either by pressure from Consumer Affairs or ANY of our elected officials so why do I bother... Is anyone there? Is anyone care? Or if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it fall does it make a noise? Probably not!

My experience with this company has been a horrific one. My error in this is that I didn't write a review sooner. Being in the customer service myself, I give companies the benefit of the doubt when I deal with them personally. Big mistake there! My involvement began when I had my home built in 2007. We didn't know much about propane or propane companies. My suggestion is to do your research. There are plenty of good companies out there and Aero Energy has been head and shoulders above over Amerigas in every way possible. The Amerigas I am having an issue with is located in White Hall, MD. So, they installed their tanks when I built my house and I used them for propane until sometime in 2014 when I decided to shop prices. I started researching prices and began to realize I was being ripped off between $2 to almost $3 per gallon.

So, I signed up with Aero Energy and they are a reputable company. I have nothing but good experiences with them since the change. All I had to do was send them a letter that I own the tanks to sign up with them. When we built the house, my wife and I discussed this. I remember saying, "When you lease you are stuck with their terms and conditions. When you own you have more freedom." It is just the standard. So, on May 30th, 2014 I received my first delivery from Aero Energy. So, one year passes after I stopped using their and I hear nothing from Amerigas until April 30th, 2015. I get an invoice for tank rentals for the amount of $140.98 and this was the first rental invoice after 7 years of having the tanks we had EVER seen. My wife and I were confused, so I call the office and ask questions. It was a civilized conversation and the gentleman says we are leasing and he has the paperwork in front of him.

So, I ask for a copy and he emails a copy of the contract because I knew this did not seem or feel right. First of all, the information was wrong. They have me down for one 1,000 gallon tank, when I actually have two. You would think they would know what they installed? Then I look at the lease agreement and notice that nobody signed it. My wife nor I signed it, and neither did a rep from Amerigas. What? How can we have a lease agreement without signatures to make it an agreement? I also tried to locate proof that we purchased our tanks. We had nothing with all the other papers we saved when we built the house and my wife is meticulous about these things. However, this didn't surprise me because I doubt we ever got a copy of anything. When this gentleman sent these documents, it was the first time either my wife or I saw them. Their documentation on the facts has been atrocious from the beginning.

From there, I proceeded to check online and ask friends about them and everything I found was negative. I had to dig to find anything positive and that is nationwide. A good friend of mine told us they did the same thing to them and threatened to rip out his tanks. Their situation got ugly and that is all I will say about their situation because it is not place to discuss other people's business. But the conversation lead me to contact a lawyer on May 12th, 2015 to discuss this situation and my legal rights. I gave him all the documentation and I had them send a legal letter with a deadline to respond. I still have all this documentation in my possession. The deadline for them was June 19th, 2015 or we were going to consider this matter dropped. We never received a response from Amerigas or their attorney, so we thought it was over. Wrong!!!

I just received another notice dated 6/7/16 for $156.88. It does not say rental, however I do not have any outstanding invoices with these people, therefore I can only assume it is the same garbage they tried to pull last year. That is why I am filing a formal complaint with every agency I can think of. I will post on every social media sources until they leave me and my family alone once and for all. Since I thought this issue was resolved, I didn't file any complaints prior or post anything on social media. However, I am seeing this as harassment, and falsified documents. It is not even about the money. I could pay the rental fees and just be done with it and continue on my merry way, but it is the principle and how they operate. Their customer service stinks and they do whatever they have to cover their butts.

If you are researching propane companies, stay clear of Amerigas!!! They rip you off, they are dishonest, and they are so combative when you catch them doing shady stuff. I am a private type of person and I do not like going this route, but this company has left me no choice in this matter. This is the first of many postings about my experience with this awful company and my first ever about any company for that matter! All I want is for them to stop harassing me! When they stop, I will stop!

I just got off the phone with one of Amerigas' representatives, and she was one of the most awful rude people I have had the displeasure of speaking to. I stopped doing business with Amerigas last year because of their poor customer service, and requested to have their tanks removed from my properties. 6 months later the tanks are still there. So, we called to remind Amerigas to come and get them off our property. Now I have some awful woman calling me and crabbing at me as if this is somehow my fault that their company is run so poorly. Their records are not even accurate for what equipment they have at our property. I have experience dealing with 6 different gas companies, and theirs is by far the worst run. Worst customer service I have ever encountered in 20 years.

June 2016, Santa Cruz, CA - checking the Federal gov report on residential LP prices shows 2.016 per gallon. Why is Amerigas charging me 3.721? Not able to price shop because they own the tank that sits on the property. There's no free market in that. They're cheating people 'cause they feel they can, and without consequence. Amerigas - robber barons. Think a letter or two to Congress is in order.

I received a postcard for a summer fill @ .99 gal. I called to schedule. When I received the bill for the 28.9 gal. fill, they added on a HazMat Fee of $10.59, Fuel Recovery Fee of $4.28, and Will Call Fee of $4.99 for a total of $48.44. Fees added to almost double the fuel cost. Unbelievable!!!

"Thank you for calling Amerigas, where customer service and safety are our number one priority"... is the on hold message that you hear. It could not be further from the truth. I am a tenant in a house, I moved in on Feb on this year and I have had to put out nearly $2000 since. First a bogus $500 deposit, then a $250 safety inspection (which had already been done, but they denied delivery until it was done...again), and a $200 charge to hook up a stove which my landlord paid...but then I got billed for it (trying to scam double payment).

But the biggest slap in the face just occurred. I was shocked to see that the tank was at 15%, since it has only been used for cooking and hot water since I have not needed heat for awhile. I called to set up delivery on Wed 05/25 and was first told that I had to pay for it in advance (which I never had to do since I moved here, I was always billed). They had me up against a wall and they were unwilling to budge, nor explain why and how the account switched to COD, so I was strong armed into having to pay for this upfront.

That following Friday, I noticed that they had not shown yet, which is odd because they have not yet once taken more than 2 days to fill the tanks before. I called and was rudely told that "because of the holiday weekend, it is taking longer to get delivery that it will not completed until sometime the following week". I had a house full of people expected to arrive that Sat, and now was forced to cancel for fear that it would run out from cooking.

Flash forward to today, Thursday June 2, they still have not shown. The tank is now at 2%. I had to call their 800 customer service line to be told that it will take 10 business days for them to deliver. I explained that the tanks are very close to being completely empty and he was willing to expedite the delivery for an additional $300 PLUS $100 for after hours delivery. I have never been treated like this before from a company that exclaims that customer service is their priority. And I just saw a truck drive by as I type this. Stay away from this company, all they care about is draining the cash out of people from every orifice.

Been with the company several years. Always higher rates. Now I need to move and they want to charge me $180 to pick up tank and not give any credit for 40% gas left. Big rip off!

I used propane until three years ago. Amerigas in Garner, NC was the provider. The last year of service was even more frustrating than the prior years. Our service plan had them fill our tank without us calling so we would always have heat. They lost track of our account somehow and let the propane run out. I paid for an HVAC service visit to discover this. After my call to Amerigas they sent someone out to place a lock on my tank but did not supply propane for two days, as was their policy.

My wife and celebrated when, a year later, we were able to tie into a new natural gas line from the new neighborhood nearby. No more Amerigas to make us fussy. Then a year after we discontinued service they began billing us for monthly tank rental... out of the blue. I called the office and asked to speak to a manager. I was told I would receive a call back. I did not get a call back so I sent a formal complaint with documentation to the NC Consumer Affairs Division. Within 60 days the Consumer Affairs sent a legal notice to Amerigas to cease billing. Nothing for almost two years and now... They're back at it! Amerigas is sending me threatening letters again. They are unethical.

They are the worst. My gas supplier H&H was bought by them and ever since it's been a nightmare. The thing they really do efficiently is process your payment. I called them when I ran out of gas - which essentially means I can't use my stove or my dryer. Yeah, I know. It's one of those things that goes right under the radar when you have a 200 lbs tank. In any event, I called them and scheduled a delivery. At first, I told them I'd pay them cash on delivery, they said their drivers can't take cash (I wonder why). Then I gave them a debit card number and they processed the payment right then - before delivery. Needless to say, the next day they did not deliver any propane.

In addition to their terrible service, they've sent me to collection for a service they didn't even do. It was a billing error on their side. When I got their notice, I called them and they admitted their error - which is nice, but it really doesn't help me, the damage has been done. If you have one of their tanks, get rid of it. Go to someone else. They would almost have to be better.

AmeriGas Company Profile