2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

AmeriGas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I received a postcard ad in the mail for a promo from Amerigas. I figured it was a good deal so I would try them out at the rate they gave me. I ordered the propane a week before Halloween. It is now after Thanksgiving and I have yet to receive the delivery. I have called 6 times, been on hold for long periods of time. The people on the line were nice and tried to help but the system is broken. The buck never stops or if it does it is a dead end. I can't see how they will stay in business with no ability to get the message out to deliver the propane to customers. You can't call your local number, it just routes your call to the call center. Very very poor customer service!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

If you deal with this company, do not expect to talk to a real person. If you do you will be on hold for HOURS!!! I only had to wait on hold for 2 1/2 hours to talk to someone about a billing mistake. What a horrible customer service system they have. I will never do business with them again! If you do —-good luck...

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Been on the phone for 2 hrs trying to get a person on the phone. The message says go online and set up a delivery. I try and it says you're not set up for online delivery and says your local place in town. I call and then get put on hold again for 1 hrs still no answer. Since I am hold I have called a local different place and got a new tank coming with free install and the rate is cheaper.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I used to do business with Amerigas when they were a local company that actually cared about their customers. Just recently when looking into whether or not to order more propane, I experienced the laughable new phone system that claims they improved service (you guys need to get your money back). After waiting for more than 50-60 minutes a couple weeks ago, I was able to talk to someone on the opposite coast. The person was nice but after after learning about their new approach with customers, I decided to have my tank removed and will now be a happy electric fireplace user as opposed to a propane fireplace user. In fact, I called Amerigas today to debate the added charges they are trying to get out of me, and I've been in their super-duper great phone system now for 1 hour and 20 minutes. The company is a joke and I'm guessing they will soon go the way of the dinosaurs.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Local Amerigas business offices do not have a customer service line which is causing a lack of communication between the customer and local propane delivering technicians. Amerigas bought out a small town propane company that we were satisfied with, and Amerigas removed staff from the local business office (in the excuse of COVID) and instead gave customers a poorly functioning web portal and long wait corporate customer service phone line that is useless. We are required to be a Will-Call customer since we don't live at the property and a gate has to be unlocked in NC, so we have been trying to arrange a delivery since 10/26/2020.

We live 3 hours from the house that uses propane and waited on hold for over an hour each of the 6 times time that my husband and I tried to iron out the delivery situation, we even made trips to the house more than once in attempts to meet the driver there and still no one delivered. The last excuse for no delivery was “They ran out of gas”, and of course we did not receive a phone call to alert us they were not coming. In the meantime we found another family owned local company that could deliver a tank full of propane in 2 days and at a MUCH cheaper rate than Amerigas quoted ($1.95/gal versus $2.67/gal). The basic problem is there is no staff employed by the local office to help satisfy customer needs and notes go in a computer system that are not seen by the drivers or technicians. Even the staff at our new company could not get through to Amerigas to inform them of the change in service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

So, after putting up with them for over 16 years, I am Done. I am sitting here with without heat. I am elderly and in poor health. It's over an hour wait time to call, only to be dropped when someone finally answers. Online won't recognize my digits, so I am using a roll around space heater to heat one room. I hope the Corporate folks at Amerigas stay nice and toasty, this winter. As soon as I am able, I am changing propane providers. Also, they price gouge. Brought me 80gls. at Christmas, year before last on Autofill. Charged me almost $5/gl.! What could I do?! Tell them to come take it back? So, choose Anyone but these guys. Once you get them, you'll be completely at their mercy.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I have had the WORST experience ever with them! If anyone is looking for a propane company, do yourself a favor and pick ANY company besides them! When we bought the new house, there was a tank of fuel. Apparently on Oct 15th, they locked my tank. I've never dealt with a propane company before so on the 16th when my hot water heater and dryer both stopped working, I just assumed I was out of propane. I called that morning, had them switch the account into my name, and paid for 96 gallons of fuel. I was told they would come fill my tank by the 23rd. On Oct 29th, they finally came and filled my tank up. However, it only took 23 gallons and no one notified me. I checked my account and it didn't even show that they charged me so I had no idea they had even come out. By this point, I have had 3 conversations with people there at Amerigas and no one can tell me what is going on or why I don't have propane.

The following week, I talked to a lady who told me my account wasn't set up correctly so they didn't switch my equipment over to my account but it is locked out and she is expediting my request to have it unlocked to a manager. Last Tues, I finally got another lady on the phone who told me she doesn't see any request on my account but again says she will expedite it to a manager and I should hear something the next day. By Monday of this week, I still have not heard anything from them! I called again and waited on hold for an hr and 15 min only to be hung up on as soon as someone answered. I then left horrible reviews on their Google page, website, and left messages with corporate.

Finally, someone calls me back from corporate!! Again, the lady says she sees where the account was set up incorrectly, she is going to correct it, will have the request expedited, and I should hear from them within 24 hours to have my tank unlocked! Tuesday rolls around and no word from anyone! I call back multiple times Wednesday but I can't get anyone on the phone. Thursday I finally get someone on the phone who says word for word the same things the last people have told me but tells me it will be DEC 7TH BEFORE ANYONE CAN COME UNLOCK MY TANK!!!

Keep in mind that by this point I have now spent almost 10 hours on hold waiting to speak to someone over the last 5 weeks, they refused to refund me the excess money I overpaid since I paid for 96 gallons but only got 23, and I still have NO HOT WATER!! Again, I'm told I will hear from someone on Friday and they rearranged schedules to have someone come unlock my tank! Today is Sat. Guess what I still do not have???? No phone calls! No tank unlocked! And a 2 year old that is beyond pissed that he has to take a quick bath again in cold water!!!! I am beyond livid with how this company responds.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I have been a customer of Amerigas for nearly 10 years. It was not my choice to go with Amerigas, the company I had before sold out to them. I placed an online order, as they urge you to do, for a fill up on or about October 31, 2020. I was informed it would be delivered by 11/12/20. Today is 11/13/20. I have not received my delivery. The only number available is their 800 number. I have been on hold to speak to a representative for 2 hours and 47 minutes at this point. I was told by their automated dummy that it would be 89 minutes before I could speak to someone when I first placed my call. I do not like this company, but it cost a great deal to switch providers and no one else will fill their tank. They virtually have you over a barrel when it comes to who you can go to. Their customer service totally sucks! If I could rate them at a minus, I would do so. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

We purchased our home in 2010 & kept the lease on the AmeriGas tank from the previous owner. Never had an issue and we were always happy with the local folks providing excellent customer service. Fast Forward to 2020. On 10/23 I called for a fill up on our 288 Gal tank & was told it would take roughly 7-10 days. On day 10 (11/6) I called again and was told we weren't actually scheduled for a delivery (HMMMMMM...) but the customer service person would escalate our request and have a field supervisor call within 1-2 days. No call was received.

On 11/9 I called again asking for an update on delivery. Again, was told we weren't actually scheduled for a delivery (REALLY??????). The nice customer service man in North Carolina was going to escalate our request and we would have a delivery in 1-2 business days. Well, no delivery was received. Yesterday (11/11) we called a local company (who the neighbors rave about) and have a new tank scheduled to get here when our AmeriGas tank gets low enough for the switch.

I am a little disheartened to know that getting AmeriGas to pick up their tank might be as frustrating as asking for a delivery (probably worse since we left them). If that's the case I am hoping we can find a legal way to get rid of the eyesore after a period of time, once it's removed from service on our property & set aside.

Let me reiterate. When we had a local office with friendly folks we could call & talk to...and have friendly delivery drivers, everything was perfect! I wonder, what ever happened to those folks...Did they lose their jobs & become victims of corporate greed?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Needed service troubleshooting. I have a % remaining gauge that may be un-reliable on the propane tank AmeriGas is leasing to me. They used to have a local office, which is why I went to them when I moved here. AmeriGas decided to CLOSE all of our region local offices and push the customers to the worst telephone and on-line chat system I've EVER USED! 91 min wait time for phone conversation (gave up). On-line chat was worse: at 1305 I logged in and was told I was number four in line. AFTER HALF AN HOUR I WAS NUMBER ONE...WHERE I WAITED FOR ANOTHER 65 MINUTES! The chat operator was clueless! SHE REFUSED TO CONFIRM IF SHE EVEN UNDERSTOOD WHAT MY PROBLM WAS! I had to dig up an old phone number to a regional manager from my email to get any action. If I hadn't had that I would have been ignored by Amerigas because they could not be contacted!

AmeriGas Company Information