3.29/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

320 AmeriGas Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have had good service with the local company, but a policy that is an industry practice which they enforce needs to be brought forward to potential customers. I believe is unfair and inappropriate. I am exploring alternative heating fuel source and what I found out from this propane dealer is the following when I cancel service. When they remove the tank the follow charges apply: $150.00 gas pump out fee if the tank has greater than 5% propane remaining. The customer does not receive any credit for the pumped propane; it goes into a storage tank and the company resells it to other propane customers. This practice is wrong and apparently an industry practice; however, it does not make it right in my opinion. $149.00 +- truck charge to remove the tank, $60.00 +- driver charge. In summary: $360.00 +- tank removal fee if propane pump out is done and ZERO credit for pumped out propane.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I had solar installed nearly two years ago and have made numerous calls to have AmeriGas pick up their tank since I no longer needed propane. Today was my 10th scheduled pick-up and of course they didn't show up. The customer service rep claims they had a busy schedule or faulty trucks. They're the pits.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I recently purchased a new home in March of this year. When I bought my house it had/has a 500 gallon propane tank in the back yard so I googled propane companies close to me. So I went with Amerigas. Boy what a mistake!!!! On 4/19/19 a delivery driver pulled up to refill my tank. When he backed into my driveway he smashed my driveway from the weight of his truck. He exited his vehicle and immediately said "I screwed up". He didn't back up, centered onto my driveway. His left rear tires were all the way of my driveway. He did an incident report and said someone would be contacting me. So about 2 weeks later the interim District Manager came out and took pictures and said someone will be getting in touch with me.

So about 3-4 weeks later Liberty Mutual which is Amerigas insurance company so called started the investigation. One week later Liberty Mutual calls to inform me that it wasn't the drivers fault and they are paying anything. They gave me a bs explanation that my driveway had washed out under the concrete lol. I explained that I had just bought the house in April and had to get an entire septic tank installed on my property and they drove heavy equipment across the same driveway with a concrete septic tank backhoes and ground moving equipment and everything was fine. Not to mention I drove a loaded 27 foot U-haul across the same driveway. Moral of the story is DO NOT USE AMERIGAS. They will RIP you off and destroy your property!!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

Customer since 1993 (predecessor Empire Gas) and on automatic "keep fill arrangement. Never had a problem until Amerigas took over. The local office was closed and calls then answered by a call center. March 2019 ran out of gas even though still on "Keep Fill". I decided might discontinue their service, and in May called for their renewal rate and was informed $2.50 per gal. I shopped and got a $1.80 rate. Called Heritage to cancel and was told without hesitation that they would match.

Too late, I told her; "just cancel!" She then informed me there would be a $150 fee to cancel because my annual contract automatically renewed in May. I asked why I wasn't contacted before renewing and she responded that every emailed invoice advises that contracts automatically renew. I told her I'd pay the $150 to not have to deal with a company that shady deals, all while she kept over talking me on what all they had done for me. Bull! (I should have told her what I had done for her stockholders by paying my bills on time for 26 years!). No longer a good company to deal with. 1) Price gouging, 2) Automatic renewal with no notice, 3) Poor automatic "Keep Full" practice, 4) Rude customer service.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Run away. Do not use them. They do not care anything about their customers. Go electric or use a different propane company. I have not had a hot shower in 2 days because of them. Let me see how quickly they can remove their tank before I start charging them storage for it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been in my home for five years, of those five years I have been a customer of AmeriGas on two separate occasions. In the 2015-2016 heating season I used Amerigas, and had no issues, even when I switched out the next year for a competitor with a cheaper price. Thought they were great at the time. In the 2017-2018 heating season, I went back to Amerigas because no one could match their offered price. When speaking with the rep from the local office he said NOTHING about a new change in their terms. When I called in September of 2018 to try and lock in a good price for the season, I was quoted $2.19 a gallon, (I was paying $1.29 for the prior year) when everyone else was quoting $1.69 for the current year.

I was also informed "there was no more "lock in's" left available". Never have I or anyone I have spoken to heard of there being a cut off on the amount of "lock in" prices available to customers. The rep also told me my contract ended in October of 2018, so I still had my current pricing available. I opted to get one last fill since it was less then what everyone was quoting me. Anyone who uses propane knows you shop for the cheapest price. So when I was told almost double what everyone else was quoting and I could not lock in my price I decided to go somewhere else. I informed the rep I would be getting one last fill but being they are quoting $2.19 a gallon I would be shopping around. Again he said nothing about a change in their terms.

Mind you our "contract" was all done in email, never did I get a letter in the mail about a change and my "signature" is the rep filling out the papers, including my name, and me emailing back saying, "Okay." So I went to another company. Used up the gas in the Amerigas tank and swtiched to the competitors tank. I stored the Amerigas tank on my property empty until April 2019 when the snow thawed and the ground was solid enough to drive on. My account showed a zero balance due as of April 2019. When calling to let them know they can pick up their tank, the same rep I spoke to before now informs me that it is fine. I want to leave but there is a $149.99 charge for early termination of the 3 year contract!! I argued with that rep and another in the office over their intentionally misleading me as I would NEVER lock in a three year contract for propane. Told them to forget it and leave the tank.

Then called back 20 minutes later, after looking at the "contract" and not seeing anything about a three years, told them to come get their tank off my property and I will fight them in court if need be. A month later, now May of 2019 their tank was still sitting on my property, so I called the corporate office and told them what was going on.

They had the rep call the next day, he again tries to hit me for the $149.99 for early termination. I again argue with him, he keeps telling me "calm down, we will get this straightened out" and he has a copy of my "contract". Told him I also have the "contract" and I would never agreed to three years. Point out again the rep said NOTHING in September 2018 about a three year contract. He claims "the service contract is not the same as the price contact", this is also a new one to myself and anyone I have asked (even competitors). He emails me the "contract" and also lied and states the tank is still on my property because he thought I was going to keep it per our last conversation.

After searching their contract, they have it stuck in the new terms that they have a three year contract, their changes were sent to junk mail, not once do they make sure you know they changed. They also stated in their new contract that if you use their service for one month, you agree to the new terms (also predatory for those who just lock in for the year) I email the rep back (the same one who said we can work it out) and tell him I see where they put it in the terms and per our LAST conversation I said to come get the tank. (That has been in my current providers way for months.) He responds back that on top of the $149.99 fee they are also hitting me for $49.99 dispatch fee for getting their tank off my property. They came out Friday 5-10-19 and got their tank, the driver lied and said he could not get my signature.

I watched him walk up to my door fill out paperwork, stick it in the door handle without even trying to knock, play with my cats and leave after busting branches off my apple tree that is not even next to the propane tank. Then Tuesday 5-14-19, my billing app informs me I have a past due bill for $209.29 for Amerigas. The rep deliberately charged and put the bill due 5-13-19 (there is no due date on the papers the driver left), so now I have a past due bill with them. I have been fighting with them for months and I am now going above them for their predatory practices with their "contract" and for the retaliatory practices of their local rep. They deliberately give you the lowest price to get you to be a customer, say nothing about a three year contract and then double charge you after the first year and if you try to leave they hit you with high fees. Stay far away from this company if you can.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Amerigas, I think, is the worst and greediest utility company I have ever seen. I bought gas from them for years. When I did not need gas anymore, they insist of paying tank rental which I have never heard of. I suggested that they remove their tank from my land, they say, I have to pay for the removal and they will not repair the damage to the land. If the tank is theirs then they should pay for the removal. If it is mine then they should not charge rental. This is a policy to extort money from customers. I have been paying rental year after year to no end and they keep increasing it. Is there any way out? Any legal minds or consumer protection agency out there who want to figure out this policy of greed and extortion?

Original review: May 9, 2019

This is the worst propane company on the planet. They always charge more than they quote you on the phone so I bought my tank and started getting propane from a competitor. Then they bought out the competitor and said I have to pay them (AmeriGas) tank rental as well as buy my propane from them again. After spending hours on the phone with these ** and never getting to speak with someone with a brain I finally just paid their extortion so they can't destroy my credit. If the rating would allow negative numbers that would be the score they received from everyone.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I would suggest anyone needing propane to go anywhere except to this company. They give you an excellent starting price but beware this soon goes up to almost double of any other company. They charge more for the rental of a tank and will charge you if you want to call in for propane. They charge other fees that the other companies do not. I switched companies and the one I am now with calls when prices go down in the summer months so you can fill your tank while it's cheap.

Amerigas never did this in all the years I used them, they are only about making as much money as possible. They claim they charge so much because they have trained technicians, well so do the other companies and better propane, when they get their propane from the same place as other companies. Check out Pirate Gas, that is who I went with and am so happy, just wish I would have done this years ago, instead of thinking that all propanes companies were pretty much the same when it comes to pricing.

Original review: March 29, 2019

After a series of missed appointments and billing issues, Amerigas backed their truck over our sewage tank and crushed the top despite having been warned not to back-up near the house. They took no responsibility, and refused to pay for $7,000 worth of damage. The company used to be locally owned and operated, Synergy Gas, with good service. But, they were purchased by the larger Amerigas, which is a terrible provider. Please find and support a local company - try Crown Propane or any other number of providers. This is not a credible company.

AmeriGas Company Information