3.23/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

AmeriGas Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I called about putting a tank in. They sent a DRIVER out to look. He said he got out and walked around. He didn't get his ** out of the truck and told them they couldn't put it in. He never even got out to look. He was on his cell phone the time he drove past and didn't stop.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

We bought our home in 2016 & it was easier to simply switch the service that the seller used for propane (cooking) to a new account for us. They charged us $39.99 for an inspection. We always paid in a timely manner. We were on auto delivery; yet they missed a delivery in 2017. We called several times over 2017/2018 to have emergency auxiliary heat installed in the event there was a power outage during winter. We were told numerous times a technician was not available or they were trying to hire one.

Our last delivery was beginning of March. We paid $78.56 for that. Finally, we made other arrangements for propane & called them on 3/14/19 to pick up the tank. We called several times asking them to do so and it wasn't until June 2019 that they picked it up. Meantime, Dennis at the company spoke w/ my husband & said there would be no charge since it took so long to pick up the tank. He reneged & they sent us a bill for $59.99. Wish we had read the reviews years ago.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Like another reviewer if I could give negative rating I would! I hope they go out of business. They have a monopoly on the market which makes them feel they can treat their customers like poop! Amerigas continues to be a greedy company. We have had a propane tank on our property for 10 years, just for a gas fireplace. It is a 124 gallon tank. Since we only use it for our fireplace, I am a will call customer. All of their policies state not to call for propane until you are at 30%, which we rarely get to. At one point they surcharged our propane so much we had a 500 dollar bill. And they stated that this was because we use it so infrequently. Why would we keep a service that will surcharge us over 400% market value for propane we barely use?

It's an extra fee if you call on the phone to order propane instead of online. Even during non-peak times they threaten delivery could be up to two weeks out. There is an extra fee for checking for a gas leak annually. An extra fee for lighting the pilot. And now most recently they have added in their contract that no matter how many times or how much you fill if you have their tank on your property you get charged a rental fee annually. So, basically every single policy at Amerigas only benefits AMERIGAS....NOT THE CUSTOMER! I find their customer service appalling, I find their service slow and inconvenient, and I find their policies to be selfish and atrocious. Avoid them if possible. We live in Virginia. I can read from the reviews this is happening all over the country.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I would give a negative stars if I could on the way they have treated us. First of all when we first moved in the tank was already there and it took them over a month to get out to fill the empty tank and we had to take cold showers and use electric appliances to cook our food or get microwave food because we couldnt use the stove.

Then 2 years later we are all of a sudden getting late fees for a bill we never received and so we called them, said to come get their tank because we no longer want their services because of the incompetence and then they took 4 month's to come get their tank and then they said we have to pay for those month's even though we weren't even using the tank and had another company install a new one and then they charged us for picking up the tank and for them to come get it so they said we still have to pay the rental fee even though we didnt have it but those 4 month's after the bill was sent and then I was also told that we wouldn't be responsible for the rental fee once it was picked up but they are still charging us the full amount not for the 4 month's it sat in my yard not being used and plus it still had fuel in it. We paid for that. We couldn't get back. I would never recommend this company to anyone as they don't care about anyone. They just want their money no matter what.

Original review: July 23, 2019

We purchased a home in Custer, SD three years ago. The prior propane service was Custer Gas, a locally owned and operated company. Then the big corporation AmeriGas bought them and there has been NO service since then. We attempted to continue to use them but a call to their office got either no answer or a machine that said to leave a message. We would leave a message and no one would ever return our call so when out of gas in the winter, you just had to freeze, I guess, is their attitude. Last year was when the real problem began. A tank OWNED BY THEM, became non compliant with filling according to an inspection by their employees in the summer of 2018. The employee told us we would get a letter from them outlining what we needed to do. We never received a letter, a phone call, an email, text, - nothing.

During the middle of winter the tank ran out and a fill was called for. At this point they informed us they would no longer service the tank as non-compliant. When speaking to the local manager, he told us the previous manager knew there was a problem, but ignored it and decided to fill tanks no matter. The new guy refused to do so but no one communicated this with us until mid winter when the tank was empty. We contacted two other propane companies in Custer, SD, but they couldn't get a new tank in for us for two or more weeks. So we had Custer Gas, aka AmeriGas Propane, bring out a new tank. They claimed the old one, which they put in, couldn't be taken out by them so they placed the new one quite a bit above our property and laid the line above ground until summer when a trench could be dug to bury it.

We called them in July and were told they did not do trenching, it was our job, but they would come and bury it. My husband dug a trench down to the place where it connected to the house and noticed the copper line above ground there was bent (not by us) and noted propane was leaking from it! Guess what - we called Custer Gas and no one answered the phone! No answering machine, no employee! So we called their headquarters and told them what was going on. They had someone call us and said he would send a crew in the morning. The kicker was he asked my husband why he was trenching and he said because local office said they wouldn't do it and he said they DO trenching!

The serviceman named Kevin came the next morning and told us he would have trenched for us. He also said he had to put some propane in the tank as it was empty but we wouldn't be charged for that as he had to test the line. Ten days later we get a bill for the install AND for the propane. Now Kevin, their great employee, accuses us of lying as he says he never told us there would be no charge for the gas. If you are reading this long story and even thinking just a little bit about using this companies service - DON'T!!!! McGas in Custer or Nelson Gas and Oil provide great service and don't accuse their customers of lying.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: July 16, 2019

Was a customer for over 11 years and after tired of putting up with poor customer service and incorrect billing, I said enough is enough and cancelled my service. That was October 2018. After staring at the empty tank in my yard still waiting for them to pick it up, I finally called in the winter of 2019. The pick up man 1st drove in my yard sinking down in so I had to fix in the spring. After sitting for so long the tank sunk into the ground and then was frozen so he said he would have to come back. About 2 more months later they finally came to pick it up after looking at the tank for about 5 months. A month later They bill ME that they got their tank finally, Now I'm being harassed by credit agents. Buyer beware!

Original review: June 23, 2019

This company has the worst customer service, highest gas prices and rude employees. They overcharge for everything. They lie, cheat and steal from customers. They remind me of gangsters. Organized criminals is what they are. Stay away is your best option. They will stick it in you and break it off. Run. Don't walk away from this crime syndicate. They are all around bad news. Good day!

Original review: June 22, 2019

We had AmeriGas for only a month due to their poor service. We filed four complaints against their company in that first month. You would think that they would try to improve after a complaint, but the service continued to be poor. They just don't care. They are deceitful, greedy, and incompetent. To top it off, when I changed to a different propane company, it took them a month to come pick up their tank, and they charged me nearly $65.00 to boot. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Amerigas is by far the WORST company to go to for propane. They were fine at first when I started business with them when I moved to my new home. Then, the bill started going up and it then nearly doubled. I was hoping it would go down but it kept going up so I switched companies. Their propane tank has been sitting in my yard for nearly a year because they give me a BS excuse every time why they can't show to pick it up. Then they have the nerve to send me a tank rental charge. I’m about to start charging them rent since they have no intention on picking up their tank. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have had good service with the local company, but a policy that is an industry practice which they enforce needs to be brought forward to potential customers. I believe is unfair and inappropriate. I am exploring alternative heating fuel source and what I found out from this propane dealer is the following when I cancel service. When they remove the tank the follow charges apply: $150.00 gas pump out fee if the tank has greater than 5% propane remaining. The customer does not receive any credit for the pumped propane; it goes into a storage tank and the company resells it to other propane customers. This practice is wrong and apparently an industry practice; however, it does not make it right in my opinion. $149.00 +- truck charge to remove the tank, $60.00 +- driver charge. In summary: $360.00 +- tank removal fee if propane pump out is done and ZERO credit for pumped out propane.

AmeriGas Company Information