3.5/5 (590 ratings)

About AmeriGas

AmeriGas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: March 28, 2022

I have had the worst experience as a new customer. I needed propane gas and set up my account, paid the monies required and was given a delivery date only to given the runaround, not know what the technician's report was when he did the inspection, have to spend hours calling in for service, constantly getting transferred to other departments, given wrong information as to why my delivery was not made, and have to wait for 20-30 minutes between transfers each time I called. After 5 attempts, I am done and will no longer be a customer of Amerigas. If they want satisfied customers they need to train their staff on customer service, get their communication loop fixed, enhance their process of finding out what the technicians told the customer, hire more staff to handle the demand so that customers are not waiting sooo long to be serviced, etc.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I rarely write reviews but my experience with this company was so bad that I felt compelled to. I have never been so dissatisfied with the level of service I have received. From beginning to end, the experience with them was horrible. Let me share some details. 1) Techs that don't show up at all for their appt. 2) Tech lies and says they came when they did not. 3) Phone rep is so rude that it left me with my mouth open. 4) Misplaced our tank then charged us $1,000 to move it, even though the misplacement was of no fault of our own. 5) Charged incorrectly for something months before our tank was even installed, then received late fees for 4 months.

6) Had to call in 7 times to have said late fees removed, and by the way, they still haven't resolved the issue, and 7) call mysteriously "drops" every other time I call in and they make no effort to call me back. I regret the day that we decided to use them for gas. If you have any other option, I would use another company, or just not use propane altogether. It is not worth the pain of dealing with them and the hours of time and even money you will waste.

Original review: March 14, 2022

Purchased a home w/ existing Amerigas 500 gal tank. As a retired business owner, service is everything. Never was informed how to get free tank rent. Delivery drivers none were respectful of our property. Never was informed fee to remove tank. Errors on bills also. Not willing to correct their errors, just collect more $$$$ & more $$$$.

Original review: March 14, 2022

Horrible service! I have been waiting weeks to get someone out to set up new service. I cannot get anyone on the phone that seems to know what they are doing. I have called several time and get people from other countries that you cannot understand because of a language barrier. I'm sitting on hold with them right now and the guy I'm talking to seems really lost and confused as to what to do.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I paid $99 to turn on my services when I first became a customer 3 years ago. Have had awful customer service experiences. They would constantly "estimate" my meter and then charge me an outrageous price whenever they would "read" my meter, my bill was always wrong. I would have to call and complain. Then they would want to charge me to have someone come out and properly read my meter. I had to constantly take pictures of my meter in order for them to charge me correctly. When I finally sold my house, they wanted to charge me $99 to lock my meter. What a rip off and crappy company to be forced to use.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Closed account due to sale of home. Found out no physical offices anymore. All close out instructions for us and new buyers over the phone. Was told they would read meter, refund us at last purchase price and charge new owner at going rate and that new owner needed to set up account ASAP. Called on refund, 2 months later, and was told that they don't do that. Called previously and was told 49% left in 100 gal tank and to expect refund within 30 days. Cant talk to supervisor and his idea of a settlement was $75 credit. My math tells me 10% of what's owed me. Unethical and difficult to work with, no physical presence. Run to local propane supplier with office!!!

Original review: March 10, 2022

We received a bill for 2 back to back months of a fillup of 130 gal. We use about 65 gallons each month in the winter. I tried to tell their supervisor that there is no way we used 130 gal in one month. I was informed that I requested the fill when I actually only ordered online once. I did not get a copy of the bill left at my tank. She said that there was a copy with her office. No way. I have never had a fillup two months in a row. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: March 3, 2022

AmeriGas is so unethical. I always had to negotiate fuel price! I stopped their service and changed to an honest company named Hunt Propane. AmeriGas charged me $149 to pick up. Tank. They were suppose to refund me money from the tank rental agreement and have not received any refund.

Original review: March 3, 2022

Amerigas is a horrible company. Hiked my prices over a dollar per gallon over current local market price with no notice. When I tried to talk to someone about it I get sent to a snippy VA in the Philippines, nice one AmeriGas. When I finally got to someone to talk about it they said they would file a ticket with billing and be back in touch. Well they got back in touch with nothing but a late fee. These people are criminals and I will never use them again.

Original review: March 3, 2022

After purchasing a rental house, AmeriGas was the company that had been used for propane so I continued with that service. I had 2 deliveries over the course of a few months and each time was a nightmare. The customer service phone is a complete joke. It takes a good 10 minutes to wade through the menus to get to an agent. When I finally did, I could barely understand them. They are obviously out of the U.S. and are not English speaking. The last time I ordered, they said it would take 7 to 10 days. After 17 days, I still did not have the propane and it ran out. The house was not occupied at the time and I was afraid my pipes would freeze but that didn't seem to matter to them. They told me multiple times that they would communicate with me as to when the delivery would be made but not once did they ever communicate with me without me calling. In conclusion, I will never use this company again if I have any choice.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

Long time clients, logged in to account, can find pricing per gallon. When on website not logged in filled out information to get current price for my address and county, received two prices one for new and one for refill. Went to my account and order the propane gas I needed for my home, put promotion code and was surprised to see that the price was $1.01 higher than was quoted. I have notice this happens every time. They increase and you are stuck with their lies.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I am a customer on auto fill and I ran out of propane and wanted to charge extra for a delivery before 10 day. I wouldn’t recommend using their service…. I originally had G&K. They were awesome. Once AmeriGas took over it went downhill!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I placed an order on 2/14 when my tanks were at 40%. Amerigas provided a delivery window of 2/16-2/22. The delivery window came and went with no delivery. I called on 2/23 and the call center said delivery would be that day. As it got later, I called back and they said delivery would be 2/24. On 2/24, the first time I called, they said delivery was scheduled for that day. Second time I called, they said it was now scheduled for 2/25. I was now down to 7% but figured as long as they delivered on 2/25, no problem. On 2/25, I called at 9:30am and I was told I was #15 on emergency delivery list and they were currently on delivery #5.

When I called back around noon, I was told my name was not on the delivery list and my delivery was now scheduled for Monday. After they transferred me to several different agents, I finally got an agent who assured me my delivery would happen on 2/26. Seeing as how 2/26 is a Saturday and the call center had done nothing but lie to me, I decided to brave the snow/slush covered roads and drive to my local Amerigas office to see if I could get this worked out.

When I got to the office, there was a sign on the door that said the office was closed to walk in traffic but there was a car in the parking lot and the lights were on so I knocked and knocked on the doors and the windows. Instead of coming to the door, the called the police. When the cops showed up, they did open the door for the officer. After they told the officer they were trying to help me, the officer told me I had to leave. On my way home, I got a call from somebody who said I would be on the delivery list tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

After purchasing a cabin the TN Smokies at the end of summer 21, I set up an account with AmeriGas and months later requested a delivery - initially I didn't want to be on auto delivery because I didn't necessarily trust their process. I never received an invoice but as time went on, I had need for another delivery and called to request one. At that time, I learned from CS that their records showed that I had terminated my account which I explained was incorrect because I had already received a delivery and was asking for another. So I assumed that everything was corrected but not the case!

I just received a bill for the first delivery and another for early termination of my account. And I have already received my 2nd delivery. These folks are feckless in delivering accurate accounting which only reflects on their incompetent CS. And on top of their overly price per gal., they charged me additional fees that add another $36 to each delivery. I will be TRULY be terminating my account with them once their local competitor has tanks available.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I will be changing companies as soon as I can buy a tank. Amerigas is horrible, I spend 20 minutes on hold just waiting to speak with someone only to get someone that sounds like they're talking to me from a crowded place. She couldn't even hear me talking so instead of transferring me she hangs up. I spend another 20 minutes waiting to talk to someone else. I finally get connected to set up a payment plan. I had made a payment 10 days before this call, I was told that payment won't apply to the current payment plan and I had to make a payment today in order to avoid fees. I didn't have my wallet with me and was told I had to call back by the end of the day with the payment.

I asked if it would reflect on my account online and if I could pay it that way every month. I was told no, that I had to call my payment in every time. So now I get to be on hold for go knows how long just get to talk to someone that's probably not even in America to make a payment. They were also late on my delivery snd didn't even fill my tank to the 80% mark when I asked for a full fill. This is the worst company I've ever done business with. I will be changing to a local company that actually values their customers.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

Amerigas made appointments Feb 4th, 10th, 16th, 16, and missed every appointment and didn't have the decency to even call. Now each time after getting with their customer engagement department they made one more last chance Feb 17th so I call that morning. I was told that I wasn't on schedule again. The problem now is that I started with 60% gas now I'm in the red empty praying to God for warm weather because I can't get another company until the 23 of Feb and it's suppose to rain every day next week so my my family will have to suffer because of Amerigas incompetence and negligence.

Whatever you do do not choose this Amerigas company. Even though their price is lower it's not worth the negative energy and stress that you will have to go through. The only two companies that I can recommendation is H& M or Partridge. Both family friendly companies. Even though smaller they have more local employees than Amerigas. I swear this statement is the whole truth so help me God.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I was really hopeful when I begin to Any propane company out there is better than this one do business with AmeriGas. Over the last three years of doing business with them, As long as I notified them when my tank was 50% full, it never mattered to me how long they took. I’m a good customer… My wife and kids love the fireplace :-). We spend about $3500 a year with them.

Recently, my wife and I were traveling and my normal routine to check the gas tank was interrupted. When I did check it, I was down to two or 3%. I called AmeriGas for an emergency delivery and they said they would be glad to have someone out there in 48 hours—for a extra fee of $300. Otherwise, they couldn’t promise me when they would be there but anticipated it would be before 10 days. I declined, and got another local company out the very next day (without any gouging charge).

I currently have a credit with AmeriGas— because they double billed me the last time they delivered. Because of that, I left the order open. As of today, it’s been 12 days And still no delivery. When I called yesterday not only could they not tell me when they would be out, they told me interacting with a supervisor would take three days. Then, they proceeded to “educate“ me, informing me that it was wintertime and there was high demand. Of course, that’s true; however, I think they knew wintertime was coming, right? Doesn’t that happen every year? We are at 13 days, for an emergency delivery, and counting. No remorse from customer service and more importantly, no solution.

This is not a company that cares at all about serving. They obviously see propane as a commodity and recognize that my house goes cold and dark without it. Whatever their original intention, their current business model reflects their understanding that there are limited propane companies and lots of customers. Hence, those customers are treated as inconvenient and barely necessary. There are better companies out there. In fact, I would say any company out there is better :-).

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

We are over a week out from when we were supposed to have propane delivered. My father is in advanced age and we are constantly being lied to about when delivery will occur if at all never told the same story. It is very apparent that there is a lack of empathy or concern on their part and they do not care!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I am a postmaster at a rural post office. We are contracted with Amerigas for propane delivery--this is a "national account," which makes little difference because they still suck, even with government customers. When our post office was destroyed in a natural disaster, our ancient propane tank actually floated away in a flood. That's neither here nor there, but in the stages of reconstruction, it was a goat rope to get Amerigas to come out to reset the tank. I literally spent hours on the phone, getting redirected and negotiating phone tree after phone tree, only to speak to some foreign person that barely knew English. Finally, FINALLY we got service, but it took months.

Then came the billing. I logged onto our accounts payable database, Ebuy, to pay the bill immediately. A few weeks later, I got a collection letter and a late fee. Thinking is was an oversight with the postal service, I paid the same bill and left a heads up that we got a late fee because someone wasn't paying attention. Come to find out, it was Amerigas that was not paying attention. Not only do they not have adequate customer service, but they do not even have a competent staff to process payments. I got that mess all cleared up, or so I thought...today, I got another collection letter, only this time from a collection agency. That was after I spent another couple of hours on the phone trying to sort out our billing issues, and was told that it was taken care of. Really? We aren't allowed to switch our service to another provider because I guess we HAVE to use Amerigas, but where I am in rural Utah, they are a joke.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

Amerigas received my money and never delivered the gas. I received a text stating a delivery was made, never was, and it was for the wrong amount that I ordered. I made a dozen phone calls and chatted online. Each time I stated that I have not received a delivery. After 1 month, the last phone call I made, they said they would process a refund. That took several days. On the next day, a driver called and said they were on the way for delivery. I told them don’t bother. I have read about several in my area stating the same circumstance. I highly recommend not doing business with Amerigas.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

We have been an Amerigas customer for about 9 years. It's the first time this winter that we ran out of propane completely, although we are on auto delivery. We ran out on Monday night, called Tuesday morning to let them know. They said we were already scheduled to get the delivery Wednesday. That was the first lie. We kept calling every day multiple times about the status of the delivery to always get a different answer, different lie until 5 days later, when my wife posted on social media about our experience, and the township's deputy mayor got involved and they started to make calls on our behalf. They delivered it Saturday night at 9PM.

I understood that there was a corporate escalation in our case because of the social media post. Amerigas is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Never ever heard so many lies and promises with exact time and day when the delivery will happen, and none of them real. The sad part is they have been doing this for years and they can get away with it!!! They just lost us as customers, as spring comes we are changing company. However reads this review and have had or having same issues with Amerigas, the best thing you can do is post about it on social media and let as many people know as you can about it. This company should not exist.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

This is the second time they've let my tank run out. They've spent the last five days telling me every day that it would be delivered with 100% guaranteed that day. Once again because of their incompetence I am without heat, hot water, and even the stove. Customer support is useless. I can't talk to anyone who knows anything. I've started pricing wood burning stoves and electric appliances just to get rid of these useless people.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

This company is a joke. I am held hostage by the fact that I have their tank buried in my yard. I ordered propane in January and they promised delivery by Feb 2. I’m still waiting and it’s Feb 11! I’ve called their useless call center four times and speak to people in another country who have no idea what is going on. Yesterday I was told the truck was on the way and I was 7th on the list… I stayed home and no gas was delivered…again! Someone needs to initiate a class action lawsuit against AmeriGas! They charge me an annual tank change if I don’t use enough gas…but then they won’t deliver it! They will charge me to dig up the tank so I can’t change to another company. This is criminal!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

Has a site survey for propane scheduled for Feb 9th between 12-1600. Wasted half my day waiting, no one showed up, no one called. I contacted customer service and they didn’t seem to care at all. They didn’t attempt to make any amends for the situation and left me with no information.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

AmeriGas customer service is terrible. In fact, their terrible performance is almost criminal. I have been without heat to my home for the past five days because after a delivery the LP tank was not pressurized correctly. I have spent more than 1.5 hours per day trying to get a service call back to my house. This effort is frustrated by their horrible automatic call handling system and various departments that take calls. I get bounced around with no resolution.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

Today is February 7, 2022 and I called at 9:15am PST. As I'm writing this, I have been on hold for 17:07, I was placed on hold by Tiana when after I explained why I'm calling, said "Let me check with customer service and get back to you". First, is there a difference between Amerigas customer service and customer experience advocate? Because truth to tell, neither one understands what either of those term seem to mean. So far Tiana has yet to come back on the line to update me on what is going on. This is yet another example of the type of service/advocacy we've received from Amerigas Customer Service/Advocate personnel.

Back on December 9th it was determined that we needed a new valve, but the tank had too much propane and needed to be below 5% in order for the technician to replace the valve. We placed an order for propane on December 31st when we got to 5% and received a text message on January 3rd letting us know that you have our order and are working to deliver propane to us. No one showed up and we didn't receive any further updates. We called on January 13th to find out what happened. Somehow our order got cancelled and Elizabeth couldn't explain why she then stated that she would put in an order for us for the valve replacement and propane.

January 19th we called since you still hadn't serviced our tank, and spoke to Maynard who said Elizabeth never put in the order and he would put it under emergency status so that someone will be out within 24 hours we ensured he also placed the valve replacement on the account for the technician and he stated that he would and for us not to worry. January 21st technician came out and apologized because his work order had nothing on there regarding the valve replacement and he didn't have one so he couldn't replace it. He did fill our tank to 10% though so we could have some heat and hot water (which we had been limiting to the extreme due to not having much propane).

Technician came back out on January 25th but we had too much propane in the tank still and he couldn't replace the valve. January 31st we were down to 5% so we called and spoke with Kelli who stated she put in a request. Here we are now February 7th and we have again been limiting heat and hot water since the order has once again somehow vanished and I'm called to try and place an order on the phone since the tank is at 3% and I can't do that online. 35:09 I've been on hold now and I'm guessing I've been placed on permanent hold and no one will ever be picking the line back up. Oh lovely, I've gone from hold straight to the after call survey. I told you I was on the forgotten "hold" option where they wait for me to hang up and since I didn't they ended the call after 42 minutes of hold time.

What a shame that the company can't seem to get people who actually can/want to do their job. You know the thing they pay them for. How hard is it to enter in a request? Maybe everyone ones needs to be retrained on how to actually do their jobs. So we have to suffer a freezing cold house and tepid showers because their personnel don't feel like doing their job. It's been in the 20's overnight for weeks now and we've had to purchase several space heaters just to try and stay somewhat warm (appreciate the additional out of pocket expense we've been forced to take on). Also, a big thank you to Amerigas for our increased electric bill. It's so nice to see how customer centric that company is.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

Informed gas would be delivered 2/4. It wasn’t. They came 2/2 without any notification, during a blizzard, and did not deliver due to the blizzard. No call so that we could devise a way to get the drive plowed. Nothing. We do not live on premises - over 500 miles away, actually. They then rescheduled the delivery on or before 7-10 days later with no way to contact them to determine when they would actually attempt delivery next. They refuse to give us any notice or any indication regarding timing of delivery. They require freshly plowed driveway. To the tanks. Impossible to do so or even hire someone to do so without any warning, as the weather here is unpredictable, very cold, and very snowy.

Customer service consists of someone reading from a script and repeating over and over the same information that is already available and insufficient online. So, nonexistent. Then, they pretended to not hear me and tell me they were going to disconnect because the line was bad. I waited for them to hang up for over 30 minutes because when THEY hang up, the survey becomes available. If the customer hangs up, no survey. I implore interested parties to NOT hang up even if the agent states they are. Wait for the survey and tell the truth. BTW, we must leave again after calling off work two days to get the drive cleared by the promised date. The delivery still has not occurred. Home is propane hot water heated, and we run the risk of pipes bursting with catastrophic results. We cannot call off work further and now risk our home because of this horrid customer service.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I requested a refill 10 days ago. Paid when I ordered. Had a window of Jan 27-Feb 3. We had a winter storm which delayed them on the 3rd. This morning on the 4th I was on route for today. I tell the chat agent. For the 3 pre day we are almost out. 3 pm chat again. Not on for today on for the 5th. We are almost out. I’m sorry we are not taking expedited orders. It’s not it’s been over a week. I have less that 20 gallons. Will they for sure be here tomorrow. Cannot promise that. Things change. WTF. I’m sorry but this is ridiculous. Some home I still have heat and hot water at the moment although the tank it not registering any in it. To say I’m I’m over this company is an understatement.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

My wife and I recently bought a home in Jacksonville, FL. The previous owner could not recall nor provide documentation indicating whether he or Amerigas owned the 120Gal tank buried under his driveway. I called Amerigas and three different "Customer Experience Advocates" verbally indicated that the tank was customer owned. When I asked if they would provide an email indicating the tank was customer owned or at least that Amerigas did NOT own the tank, Amerigas representatives refused. No other Gas company will provide gas line service or propane because of this. I find it ironic and disturbing that Amerigas will not back up their statements in writing. A sure sign this company could not care less for their customers beyond the economic value they derive from them.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I can’t believe I’m going through the same nightmare 25 years later with the same company. Years ago I had a company owned tank and called for a fill up at 30%, then 20, then 10 finally when it was down to 5 percent. I called and they said they were going to charge me $50.00 because my tank level was so low! I hooked a chain to their tank and drag it out of the way and bought my own and switched companies.

Fast forward to the present- we bought a farm with a house on it in August of 2021. It had a company owned Amerigas tank with it. The tank had a broken gauge so there was no way to tell how much gas was in the tank. After remodeling the house I called amerigas to set up an account and request the tank be repaired and filled, that was January 18, 2022. I’m sitting here now on February 3rd writing this review with a propane tank that has been empty for 3 days still with a broken gauge. I have called 5 times in the last 3 days and still no luck. Propane gas is the only source of heat in this house but apparently this company doesn’t care. If you have ANY other option for a propane gas company CHOOSE THEM because I doubt you will find a company anywhere that is run more poorly than this one!

AmeriGas Company Information