Uber

Overall Rating
1.4 out of 5

About Uber

Uber Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 2,167 reviews and 4,604 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2023

Uber says they take 25% of a driver's fare. I just received a fare from my house in Surprise, Arizona to Van Buren in Phoenix for $26 (The rider was 1.7 miles from my front door). But when I go on Uber as a rider (not driver) from my house in Surprise to Van Buren, Phoenix. They're charging me $50. Can someone explain that to me? I have screenshots one minute apart with these fares. Any good lawyers want to take this case for false advertising misleading their employees?

David

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2023

There were 4 charges to my debit card for 1 ride that was supposed to cost me $48.63! 3 of them are pending reversal but the 1 that is trying to charge me is for $62.31? The ride was originally supposed to cost me $43.93 but then I accepted an offer for a faster pick up for and extra $4?? which made the trip total $48.63. THAT is what I agreed to pay but Uber racked my account for $215.00? Even though 3 of the charges are pending reversal...The money is no longer available to me and I needed it for Thanksgiving! I am EXTREMELY upset by this and it ruined my holiday. I will dispute the $62.31 charge as fraud and highly recommend choosing LYFT or some other form of transportation to avoid excessive and unauthorized charges to your account by UBER.

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2023

I reserved a ride with Uber November 14th for 7.89. After I got to my destination I was hit with hidden fees and charges I wasn't told about. No one will speak to me about the matter. They're a rip off!! Use Lyft. I reserved a ride and they stuck with the price I was quoted. No hidden charges or fees!

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2023

I took a 27 dollar ride to pick up medications. I was told to wait 15 min. As I was buying an energy drink and soda while waiting. The Uber driver appeared next to me instead of calling and gave me a speech about only making 8 cents a min. I told him, "Cancel. I'll find a way home." I proceeded to the pharmacy waiting area. He followed me and asked the pharmacy how long it would be. Completely out of line. He followed me everywhere. I put in a complaint to Uber and they only gave a 1.63 for my issues. That man should've made nothing following me and talking to my pharmacist.

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

I’ve used Uber for years and throughout the world without any problems worth repeating. Which is why I never knew what a colossal nightmare the relationship becomes when things go south. On a visit to London, I requested an Uber, inputting the address of my central London hotel. The driver picks me up and about 15 minutes, I look up from my phone to notice we’re stuck in traffic heading in exactly the wrong direction to central London. Unbeknownst to me, the street address I had inputted exists both in central London and in a suburb of London, and the driver had just assumed I wanted the suburb (probably because as it turns out this is in the direction of his home, so he probably got stuck on that idea).

Please note, no postcode had been inputted because the app accepted the address without it. Anyway, what should have been a half hour ride, wound taking an hour, so when my credit card bill came and I remembered this trip, I tried to dispute with Uber, but to no avail – the system just kept returning a verdict in my disfavor. The verdict took so little time to return (a couple of minutes at most) that it was clear no person was even reading my dispute nor looking at the map of our journey which supported my claim. So I called my credit card company and disputed half the charges. Next thing I know, Uber charges me again the entire trip!

I called the cc company again and dispute all of this second billing. Now Uber won't even let me book a trip unless I first pay the full fare for the original trip. No consideration is given to how many trips and how many years I’ve used Uber without incident – their system just assumes I’m suddenly trying to save on a fare by pretending I have a legitimate grievance. What’s worse, I’m not even allowed to close my account until this bill is settled!

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

I take Uber every day, at least twice a day. I naturally have more complaints than someone who takes it once a week from a bar. My address and PIN were correct, but the driver wanted me to walk across the street to him. I was at the main entrance at the hospital. Uber refuses to refund me, due to past complaints...all legit. They also allow drivers to pretend to pick you up, by driving the route, but not having to deal with a customer. This is so unfair.

Reviewed Nov. 11, 2023

On October 21, 2023, I took a bus to my brother's apartment to get him so we could go to an appointment. Once there, I ordered Uber through the app. I saw that a car was on the way so we waited. A few minutes later I saw that the ride was canceled and I do not know why. So I ordered another one. This driver arrived and took us to our destination without incident. A few days later, I went online and found out that I had been charged $5.50 for the cancellation. So I went to their website to find an email address, they do not have one. Next, I looked for a phone number, again, they do not have one. I finally contacted them through a help link that said something like, "Where is my refund?".

I explained my issue and received a reply letting me know that they were going to give me a refund of $5.50. I was not told where to expect this refund, so because I paid with a debit card, I checked the bank, no refund. I finally looked on the app and saw that they credited me with $2.50. Since there is no phone number or email address in which to contact them, and I do not wish to play the help link game, I decided to take this route. I would like to get the $5.50 back, but if that is not possible, I can deal with it. But there are a few things that do bother me.

The First Issue

I feel that we as consumers, should be able to either call them, or email all Internet companies with concerns. I do not think that this is too much to ask.

Second Issue

I was never told why the first car was canceled.

Third Issue

If they did this to me, how many other people have they done this to? I wonder what their profits from theft are each year?

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2023

I got an Uber in Clearwater by a name of Kenneth **..The car smelled like cigarettes and alcohol..I asked why he had so much stuff in the back seat and he told me that he was homeless and lives out of the rental vehicle that he gets through Uber...Uber do better coz I will never use your ride share program again

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2023

I've used Uber for many years. 99% of the drivers are amazing and nice people. However, if you want to contact customer support, it's almost impossible. I had an issue, spent 14 days trying to resolve it, and eventually gave up. I will never use them again. All you get is copy and paste bot answers. I finally found their customer service number. I was told numerous times someone would contact me. It was all a lie.

Reviewed Nov. 5, 2023

We have had three experiences with Uber, two rides that were catastrophic between being late and taking the scenic route to get more money from you. The last was a delivery that we were told we were out of the delivery area but still charged my account and refused a refund, we had to cancel the charge on the credit card. Call anyone except Uber!

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2023

I scheduled a ride days in advance for a pickup at a certain time. When the time came I was told it would be 55 minutes before he arrived. If I didn’t have my own car to drive I would have missed my flight. Never depend on them to be on time yet they tell you the driver will only wait on you 5 minutes.

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2023

The company is absolutely terrible if you call in for assistance. I tried calling in for help with something and I waited on hold for 10 minutes before someone came on. They barely spoke English, told me they could not help and transferred me. Then I waited on hold another 10 minutes before they hung up on me.

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2023

I have been using Uber for years, however recently I am getting more cancellations that I can’t even review. I will request an Uber, after few minutes I will get a text where I am going, I will answer, the ride is cancelled and no longer in my ride history. I start over and the same will happen. This is the case 90% of the time when I am at an airport, but today it happened even when I requested a ride from my house. This should be addressed and I have no idea who to reach out to within the company.

Reviewed Oct. 30, 2023

Arrive at Logan airport in Boston and called a Uber to drop me off in Lowell Ma and never showed up. They keep canceling because no one wanted to go to Lowell,, called another Uber and took me to north station,, had to take a train to Lowell got to my house at 11pm,, Uber is so irresponsible. They don't care,,,, Worst experience ever.

Reviewed Oct. 29, 2023

This place is always messing up food orders and not resolving the issues but this time I ordered 8 costumes. It was a group order almost $150 and it was never delivered!! The driver stole my costumes and Uber wouldn't even refund my money. DO NOT USE This company. The worst customer support I've ever seen.

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2023

This was my very first experience with Uber. The VA had arranged for the transportation. As soon as I got in the car the driver began complaining that I should install the Uber app on my phone and pay for the ride myself. The driver was contracted by the VA. He was babbling on about politics and crime and other things that I prefer not to hear about.

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2023

I'm an Uber driver. I had an incident 10/9/2023 where a passenger stole my wallet from my purse while they were in my car. I immediately attempted to contact Uber driver support, and was met with a rude service agent named Dre. Dre was completely uninterested in my plight, and it was obvious he couldn't care less about my wallet being stolen. I asked to speak to someone else on the team, and Dre hung up on me. I was subsequently hung up on by various other service agents while I was on hold---the call was dropped?---and never called back.

Just now, on 10/26/2023, I called support again for some understanding of why I was never contacted about my missing wallet, and "Nicolas" had a very thick accent that made it difficult to understand every other word he was saying to me. I asked him multiple times to slow down and rephrase, I repeated back what I thought I was hearing him say... finally, I heard a big sigh, and I was hung up on again. I can't even get help from the company I'm driving for? Come on, Uber. Do better.

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2023

I was sitting at home on 10/24/2023 when I received a notification that my Chime card was used for a Uber rideshare and this wasn't me but you can't even stop unauthorized illegal transactions until it goes through. That's ridiculous because the money stolen was for food so for seven days I have to go without. Pitiful.

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2023

Can't stand this company. Check your bank and receipts. Every month multiple charges on the same ride. Just looked again, it says 2 Uber receipts in my email. I'm like well only used it once, then another can't through at 3 am same ride. Then you can't get ahold of them without wasting half your life. So annoying.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2023

Ordered an Uber to go 10 miles down the road to pick up my vehicle at a pay rate of 20.87. Took 15 minutes just be denied a ride because there were no drivers available. Go to order again and it wants to tell me the pay rate is now 90.98!!! TF?! Ummm no. That's highway robbery and beyond ridiculous to even suggest that as a pay rate. You need to work on that uber! Your drivers aren't that special Uber. Some of these drivers are questionable at best. Need to clean themselves better and the inside of their cars are filthy and smell like a dumpster. Or they tell their personal problems to the riders. As if we care. We all have our own crap to deal with. We don't need to deal with uber drivers' life drama.

I was even told by one driver when I said I was thinking about driving uber that, "There is enough of us. You don't need to do that, at least not out here cuz you're just taking our money then. You need to go up north. We don't need any more drivers area". Yet every time I order an uber it's 30+ minutes before they show. Or before they even confirm ride. But there's enough of them in the area??? No there is not! No. All the drivers in my area are horrible. A good portion of them are awesome people and professional when it comes to their job. But the rest shouldn't be doing this.

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2023

Long story short I forgot my AirPods Pro in a cab. I tracked them and got a location. Spoke to the driver who admitted that the rider after me lied and stated the pods were theirs. After confirming color and the fact only 1 AirPod was actually in the case because I had the other in my possession he gave me the the address he dropped the rider off at. Which matched the location on Find My iPhone. Uber advised they would be charging me a fee to have the item returned but no communication after. I advised I would pick them up myself. All they had to do was advise the rider to leave them in the lobby of the hotel he was staying at. They refuse! The nerve of them to protect a theft!! They were absolutely no help!! I get things happen but this was an easy fix! Will never be spending my money with them again.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2023

I am on vacation in Ohio. I used Uber twice today. They billed my account for the amount they initially quoted for each ride then also charged the actual fee. I just used uber at home in GA and was not billed this way. I will be filling fraud charges because I did not give uber permission to bill me twice.

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2023

Like an idiot, I called an Uber to take me home from the bar (I'm off on Thursdays) and left my phone in the Uber. No big deal, but Uber has done everything they can to tell me they don't care about helping me resolve the issue. They just keep trying to dish me to the driver, who didn't do anything wrong. It's been a borderline panic attack inducing day trying to get this giant company to give a **.

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2023

Uber charges your card even if you don't take a trip with them. And when you contact Uber Support they won't help. They take forever to reply and then they send you a copy pasted message. They don't care about the customer and now their are stealing from us.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

Using using Uber has been the most stressful and horrible experience I've ever had. Most of the time I have to beg the driver not to cancel because they can never find our house even using a GPS. It has been painstaking for me and my husband because he has lost two jobs due to their failure to show up or be available. It's like every other day you can expect them not to be available. I would never recommend this company because they put us in a financial strain since our car broke down, you have there is no reliable transportation unless you want to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars that most people including myself don't have. It astonishes me that they cannot find our home even with a GPS and I have to stay on the line with them and beg them not to cancel and give them directions. It is ludicrous. It has been the worst experience ever.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

They allow riders to vomit and pee in your car. Your car smells and is devalued and they don’t want to hold the people accountable. I contacted customer service and they made excuses on why they couldn’t charge the rider.

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2023

Uber prices have absolutely gotten ridiculous lately. They are out of hand & I don’t understand why they think they can charge this much. A cab would literally be cheaper. I live 10 minutes away from my job if not 13 with traffic. It’s currently 3pm on a Monday and Uber wants $51. Have they lost their mind?! This is completely unacceptable. And on top of it when I do pay ridiculous amounts which I never pay $50 bucks I won’t pay over $14. But when I pay $14 I still have to wait 20/30 minutes for my Uber to even get to me constantly making me late.

I’ve been using both since 2021 and this year has topped pathetic, I have never in all these years had to pay these prices and or wait this long for Uber to pick up. That goes without saying all the ones that cancel and or having no drivers out. Uber definitely needs to change some of their policies and pricing or they are going to be out of business soon. I will not continue to support a company who charges you a arm and leg for short rides and long wait times. Uber do better.

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2023

I ordered an Uber from downtown Calgary and although he said he was there for pickup I could not locate him. I walked up and down the block in front of the hotel, then texted him to say I could not find him. He said he was given the wrong pickup address from Uber, although I could see on the map the car was somewhere close. He cancelled the ride and I ended up jumping in a cab that was sitting there the whole time I was searching for the Uber which ended up costing the same as Uber had quoted. Plus Uber charged me the cancellation fee. What a waste of time and money. I will not be using Uber again.

Reviewed Oct. 15, 2023

Uber is extremely high, and charging a booking fee. They have little drivers on the road, and takes 20 minutes and up to get to you. When you cancelled right away because of the long wait, they still charge you a cancellation fee saying for the driver's inconvenience. It’s the other way around, it’s the rider's inconvenience to have wait a long time for a driver. Uber you need to be ashamed and be put out of business for unfair and unethical practices.

Reviewed Oct. 15, 2023

In speaking to friends and a close friend who always uses UBER, she has NEVER encountered a SURGE PRICING as I have. The $50 difference between what was the original amount stated for the drive from the airport and the revised change is UNACCEPTABLE. A $15 UBER CASH you offered is an insult to me. In the very least it should have been a credit to my account. What is most annoying is there was NO OPTION at the time the surge pricing had occurred for me to be able to cancel the drive I had requested. If there was an option to CANCEL I would have jumped at LYFT as they have never done this to me.

You did not explain either why my rating as a rider dropped by .01 points after having a nice interactive drive with my driver and probably because the cars are bugged. I was discussing with the driver they only get paid $55 per drive from airport to rider's destination. It is obvious that Uber uses price surges to line their own pockets.

Uber Company Information