2.34/5
Based on 521 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1046 Uber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

The booking fee is a phony ploy to enhance the total bill. It is a tactic used by unscrupulous cell phone providers and wifi providers. My experiences with Uber have been very positive but I really resent the cheap shot of adding a "booking fee." It is completely unnecessary, and uncalled for.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have used Uber twice and received good service. The drivers were prompt and polite and UBER billed me correctly and efficiently. However, today I had a bad experience. I contacted Uber. I was told the driver was 3 minutes away at a nearby market, which is about 3 minutes from my home. I waited 10 minutes and the driver was still 3 minutes away at the same market. I waited 15 minutes, then I texted the driver to tell them that since they didn't show, I wanted a credit. I had to get a ride from someone else since I was already late for my appointment.

I cancelled the ride since the driver never showed up. A few minutes later I did notice that the driver was on my street, but I had already reached my destination without them. I received an email from Uber that the trip was cancelled and I would be billed $5.00 for cancelling. I complained to them that I didn't cancel by choice. The driver led me to believe that they were only 3 minutes away, but didn't show for over 20 minutes. I had no idea if they were going to show or not. The driver never advised me that they were running late. Uber replied that they would take $5.00 off my next ride, so in short, they were not going to actually credit me. They were obligating me to use them again to receive a credit. This was not handled well. I have signed up with Lyft, hoping I will receive better service.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

For two+ years I have asked Uber to reimburse me for daily, weekly, monthly and annual services not received by me. None of the formal complaint files provided by Uber address such matters that are routinely provided by virtually all other Business.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

The driver has submitted a claim for $150 through the app. After calling him through the Lost Item option on the app and confronting him about it, he claims he has no idea what I'm talking about and that he's "too busy" for this. His claims are false and fraudulent, and I will NOT be held liable for a fraudulent scam. I will be reporting this company and your driver to the police for fraud. I will also report you to the Better Business Bureau and raise hell on any and every social media site known to mankind.

Every Greenlight location in the state of Florida will have a detailed review on how your team allows drivers to scam riders. I have found the driver on Facebook and am now armed to go to the police with his full name and license plate. If your team pushes this fraudulent charge through on my card, be prepared to face legal action. Please note that I have not one, but TWO other witnesses who were with me in the car that can attest to there being no mess left behind in that man's vehicle. They are both prepared to give sworn statements against your company and your driver.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Whenever I book a bike or cab from Uber they never came in location from which I have booked the cab. They always go somewhere else, the problem with uber is picking up the location. Its app picks up the wrong location and the drivers goes somewhere else, then I need to help drivers to get my location. So here is the incident: yesterday (10 Aug 2018) I booked a Uber bike and I put my drop location, the same location I always puts whether it’s uber or Ola and before reaching the exact location the driver says, "This is the location you have put and I will not go beyond this location," I told him that, "You will need to go from another side. This street is closed to get my place," he denied to go. I told him, "If you drop me on my location then you will be paid otherwise no payment."

Also I told him that in Morning I was trying to book a bike or Auto from uber they have charged me fine as last time that bloody driver didn’t cancel the ride as he said that I will not be able to come for that I had to pay some fine. What rubbish is that huh??? I will put this on consumer court as well. The uber drivers are not well versed in how to behave with customers. They argue with customers and cheats on customers.

I never faced this kind of a issue with Ola, never. They never cheats on customers, they never denies to come on location, they never charges extra, they never come late, they are very polite with customers but Uber drivers, they are having ego issues, they are impatient, they are not polite to customers, they cheats on customers, they straight away says no, they charge whatever they want. So uber, you better tell your drivers to behave and have some courtesy about customers. I will put this on everywhere cause this is not the first time, every single time I have this issue with uber. I will never use uber ever in my life again and I will tell this to all my known and also I will tell this to everyone on roadside as well. Yes definitely!!! If it is in my hand I will put this on media as well!!??

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I’m really disappointed with Uber for what I feel was “pointing of a gun at my face and rip me off” at the very last minute when I needed the service the most. I had book a trip from Madrid to the Airport, I was showed a fare from low to high, I was ok with it, I ordered the service. Less than 10 minutes before my trip, I received a message from Uber saying that due to congestion and demand (6AM and Madrid was empty), I will be charge 50% or more. I received this message and at the same time the confirmation that the driver was on its way.

Worst thing, when I felt I was being rip off, is the message from Uber saying that I have “10 minutes” to cancel the order If I did not want it (if you don’t is like you agree and you get charge. I saw this message on my phone when I had only 3 minutes left). That’s pointing a gun in your face, when you need to go to the airport, when you don’t have time to use other service or a cab, that you MUST pay then 50%. I’m sure your evil system knows that at that time in the morning, with someone going to an airport to catch a flight, and 10 minutes before needing to leave, the client is just ready for a ransom. Your evil system knows it.

I don’t imagine saying to my clients 10 minutes before delivering my services “is 50% more on the agreement, and you have 10 minutes to cancel or I will charge you”. As a client I felt bad because 10 minutes before providing a needed service, saying to a client to pay 50% more or cancel the service, is a rip off and you definitively get a bad taste in your mouth for being rob. I will never again use the service and I will tell everybody about my true story.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Beware. This company allows drivers to submit fake pictures claiming you made a mess of their cars and will charge you up to $150 extra without even giving you the common decency of a phone call. I was hit with a totally false charge and Uber initially refused to refund me. I did absolutely nothing to the driver or his vehicle yet when this claim hit my email, because Uber does absolutely nothing over the phone, they had already charged me without hearing my side for any details. Please avoid this alleged criminally designed company. They are not worth the headache and definitely not worth your hard earned money.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

The Uber website states they have a phone numbers for customer service, (not the emergency number, or one out of Singapore), to reach someone 24-7. That is an untrue statement. They take you through several layers, click here, click there, and then back to a website that you have to sign in and create an account. NO PHONE NUMBER!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have never experienced a worse service experience than I have had with UBER both here in the US and on my recent trip to the UK. I don't understand how a company can be allowed to do business when it treats their customers the way I was treated. I got a promotional code from Citibank AAdvantage credit card services to use a promo code so I can get credit on my first 2 rides with Uber. I had never used Uber before so I downloaded the App and proceeded to put in the promo code. I kept on getting error messages so I tried to get a customer service phone number in the US. To my surprise a company as big as Uber does not offer any phone customer service in the US. A multibillion dollar company with NO PHONE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I tried using the Help line in the App and finally got a rep reply back to my concerns. Worst experience ever, I TYPE IN WHAT MY ISSUE IS BUT THE HELPDESK ANSWERS WITH SOMETHING THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ISSUE I AM HAVING. We exchanged further messages but the person had no clue how to answer simple questions. Finally I got a person to understand the issue I was having and due to all the issues I had already had, I was promised a $20.00 credit on my next ride that would apply automatically once I used Uber.

Once again an absolute untruth I took my ride and since the credit did not apply I tried to message the helpdesk again but as usual, the person had no clue what I was speaking about. NO PHONE HELP AND NO ONE TO HELP US WHEN YOU ARE CHARGED WRONG ON YOUR CREDIT CARD!!! All be aware, do not use Uber as you will be robbed of your money and there is no one to help you remedy the problem. The most horrible customer service experience I have ever had dealing with a major corporation doing business in the US.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

It's been 6 months for today. I had recharged for 1000 on Jan 31st 2018. I see that in my payment there is a balance of only 650 Rs. When I started querying Uber on my 350 Rs till date these shameless guys haven't turned up to me with a valid justification as in where that money went.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I do really appreciate the value of the Uber Pool. You can't beat the cost. Drivers are typically very friendly, but the GPS they use is terrible. I usually have to direct them because the GPS is so lacking.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Uber is helpful to get around as we do not live near a city bus. We can open the app and see how long a ride will take. This helps the teens and seniors in our family when I am at work. It is competitive and cheaper than a taxi.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I had left my phone in an Uber car whilst away on business in San Jose in April, I am yet to have a satisfactory conclusion to my dispute. I went to my hotel room and got my tablet device and went to the Uber website and logged in however, couldn't do anything without an SMS verification which would be sent to my phone which was in the car, so pointless. I downloaded the Uber app on device but couldn't operate anything there. I even logged onto Samsung website and attempted to force my phone to ring but it was out of power. The only way I could get hold of Uber was by writing on Twitter at how bad my experience was and they asked me to private message. I then explained where I went from and to and the times and took a snapshot of the email receipt for the trip.

The next day, I continued to private message them to get them to get hold of the driver and confirm how to get my phone back and emphasized that I was leaving San Jose to get a flight back to New Zealand at 3:30pm. After sending 5 messages up until 3:10pm, I finally get a response saying that my phone was not in the vehicle. I fly back to NZ and four days later I get a message saying, "we have your phone, how would you like to get it back?" - this is after I had did a police report, paid for new phone, wiped my old phone, setup new phone - deleted all the media on the old phone which was all the footage from a very important tech conference and the whole purpose of my visit to San Jose.

I asked them for compensation of vouchers on my account so I could get money back over time. I also suggested that they should create a link at the bottom of the email they send so that if I have lost anything like my phone, add contact details which could be sent directly to the driver for that trip. Nothing. I am utterly disgusted that although I lost my phone, they have no mechanism to sort the problem out and avoid all responsibility even though it is obviously a broken process their end. A normal taxi journey would require a call to the company whose number is on the receipt and get it sorted in 15 minutes. There lies the problem.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I was very happy with Uber until my last experience when I had a ride with Uber to Kashmiri gate. When I booked the ride I was shown 188/- for my ride. As soon as driver arrived he said it is 285/- fare showing on his app. I thought it will be updated. At the end of the ride driver asked me to pay the amount showing on his app. I showed him it is 188 on my end. He said, “You can escalate it later with Uber. Right now you will have to pay 285/”. I paid it, also the receipt I got from Uber is still showing 188.

Later on I contacted Uber regarding the same but to my surprise they simply denied to help me saying since the transaction was made out of Uber system they can't do anything. I didn't understand the word "OUT OF UBER SYSTEM". Just because I paid in cash it was not their responsibility to resolve the issue. I asked them to at least give me the correct receipt but they stopped replying to my emails. And the issue remains the same. I’m so dissatisfied with the kind of response they gave and simply denied to take the responsibility just because I paid in cash. I guess it is their practice to earn more money out of customer.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Very pleasant drivers, very clean cars, great price too. Overall excellent experience. I will use again and recommend my family and friends to use Uber.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I love using Uber. Sometimes the price is higher than the cab service and that sucks. If they were a bit cheaper I would use Uber all the time!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I’ve use Uber for the last 2 years and never complained about anything even when I had small issues. Today I’ve tried to talk to a human being for the last 4 hours and there is NONE existence!! The automated stupid robot keeps emailing be nonsense - I asked for A ride at 4:30 am and it said driver is 9 min away for $35 rate - after 30 minutes I saw on the app that the driver is struggling to find the place - I called, texted and no response. Finally he canceled. Second driver showed 7 min away with the same rate. The same exact thing except this one the driver at least called. Trust me I don’t live in a desert. I’ve had many rides on the same location.

After 90 min of wait outside of my brother's house (because I didn’t want to wake the entire family at 5 am) the third driver with a higher rate showed up. It is only fair to adjust my rate to the original rate plus some sort of compensation for the inconvenience it has caused me instead of the stupid app sending me nonsense responses. On top of all the charges me for not being ready I was outside for 90 min. The driver did not wait a second for me. Shame on you Uber. This will be my last ride and I will write many more reviews on social media as I have picture of all this transaction as a proof so you cannot deny and make up stories.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Both drivers were early and courteous. They were both efficient drivers and got us to our destination on time. The only objection was their route of travel. Since it was our first experience we did not know we could have told them there was a faster more direct route to our destination.

Original review: July 29, 2018

They don’t care about safety. I was a driver for Uber and they all time send me 6 or 7 people and my car only 4 people. When you tell the company this not good for the car and not safe they say cancel the trip. When you cancel the trip they get mad at the driver.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Used Uber when we were attending a wedding in CA and they were prompt and the driver was good. Driving on CA highways can be stressful but the driver knew where he was going.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I ordered an Uber around 1130pm on July 20, 2018 for a 4.6 mile drive that would normally take 10 minutes. The regular car said it would cost almost $17 and the rideshare option was between $11-12. I opted for the cheaper option to save some money. The app told me the driver would arrive in 5 minutes, I waited in excess of that for the driver, fine. I get in the vehicle and settle in to look at my phone to see the fare jumped to $14.06. I agreed to one fare and Uber charged me over the agreed upon fare. Not to mention the driver drove so slow as if he was waiting for another pickup along route. I arrived to my destination much later than expected. He would stop at stop signs and wait half a minute before moving, it was past midnight at this point and there was nobody on the road. He also drove a route that was slightly longer than another.

I reached out to Uber who told me that there were no discrepancies in price, then they told me that it was in an acceptable range of the agreed upon price. I wasn't aware that you can agree on a price and then have it change without your knowledge. I do not like their practices and believe they are a scam. Customer support sounds like automated robotic answers, they do not solve issues. I will be deleting my account. I would rather walk the 4 miles than give my money to an undeserving corporation.

Original review: July 27, 2018

The only problem I ever had was at Las Vegas airport at passenger pick up. I had to wait almost an hour and had to cancel twice before a driver actually showed they were going to airport. All other places were good.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Was a little nervous to use but after I did, I found that I felt very safe each time, very polite drivers, clean cars and felt very comfortable. I was impressed.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Contacted Uber via Phone app for services from address used on multiple occasions. Uber provided four locations for me to travel to be picked up for my ride! Aren't they supposed to pick me up from my location? I ran with arms full of packages to four different locations. The driver was most likely unfamiliar with area, thus the reason for the many changes. I couldn't keep up with the driver's request for different locations via foot. I finally sent a text to the driver for clarification.

The driver canceled my ride. I was charged a cancellation fee. I searched thru my app trying to resolve this issue and was not able to find a resolution from Uber's app. There does NOT exist a remedy for my problem on their app. I tried to find a phone number on the internet, and called, with no success. I tried to log in to my account using my computer but that was unsuccessful. I tried to change my password to log into my account. Unsuccessful - the new reset link was never sent.

I then tried to cancel my account. Again, not able to. I am now going to challenge the charges with my bank. There is NO WAY to contact a human at Uber - the methods on the internet didn't work. I have been charged for services without justification and there is no way to resolve this.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've only used Uber once but I had a good experience. They arrived on time, took the shortest route and got me to my destination. He was very pleasant and friendly.

Original review: July 25, 2018

The service is great! I trust my children riding with Uber. And the benefit to the community is not measurable, I’m confident the service has saved many accidents and damages to persons and property.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I like Uber for the most part. Their prices fluctuate (increase) frequently. There is no phone number or email to get in touch with Corporate. You get charged when the drivers go to the wrong place and say you aren't there. You get charged when you cancel but you don't get anything when drivers don't show and there is no way to make this known. For the most part it is ok but, these are things that have happened to me or family or people I know.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Uber is easier to use than a taxi. Instead of trying to find a cab, I just ordered a Uber from my phone and the driver found me. The car was clean and the driver was courteous.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I am very impressed with the overall concept of the Uber and the dependability of service. Drivers are personable but not overbearing; courteous and intuitive - every customer does not always want to interact or converse.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have used Uber since they came to my area. The prices have skyrocketed since they first began service here. The last two times I used it, the driver was lost and driving around forever so the wait was extremely long. Besides the price hikes, I really like Uber.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Uber Company Information

www.uber.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business