2.07/5
  • 1 star
Based on 476 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

719 Uber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I recently had two incidents that shaped my many reason not to spend any more money with Uber. In New York, Uber is more popular among the natives than taking a train. Which is great, when dealing with the harsh winter. The issue is the service coming from the Uber drivers and Uber's customer service. Most recently I took a Uber ride to Far Rockaway, NY to Queens, NY which was a $50 dollar Uber pool. The car was very cold and in the beginning the Uber driver was very quiet. Once we got closer the destination the Uber driver began to get confused on what route to take. As I asked to make a right at the next light he turned around while driving and began to yell at me. We were on a parkway in Far Rockaway with cars driving all around us. He began to shout and hits brake twice jerking me from out of the seat. He begins to curse me out and tell me to shut up until we get there or he will make walk.

Uber refunded the money the next day. A week ago I took an Uber pool to Home Depot. I was only suppose to be charge around $9 dollars for the fare. The Uber car smelled like cigarettes and to cover it up the Uber driver rowed his window completely down on the way to get rid of the smell. Mind you, it's December and it was only 40 degrees outside. The Uber driver received two pickup request and denied both and Uber charged me for a full ride. When I reached out to them they said I still have to pay a full price based of the distance because he didn't pick anyone else up. I can no longer use their service.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Upon arriving at my home, I was struck in the face by the driver. This assault was unprovoked! He also threw my glasses down the street and they were run over. I have been contacting Uber for 5 days now and still have no results or restitution.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Uber doesn't give a ** about safety. A reckless negligent Uber Eats courier on a bike cause a collision with my car causing damage. Uber doesn't seem to really care. Their biker's negligence jeopardized the safety of all others drivers, pedestrians and other bikers. Have police report as evidence.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I just received an odd snail mail supposedly from Uber, there's only one problem: I never used Uber, either as a driver or a rider. It came from a "Return Mail Processing", which runs out of a PO box in Claysburg, PA, and suggests I sign up with "experianidworks.com", which itself appears to be a known fraudulent site. If you receive a letter like this, beware. The website wants your SS number, everything.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I had a horrible experience with the Uber drivers in Miami, the communication/language barriers were awful. I get home from my trip and am charged an unknown $40 fee. Turns out, I left a mess in the back seat of someone's car. This was incredibly inaccurate and I was sent these pics, which were nothing short of a normal backseats appearance. Whatever I was looking at wasn't in my opinion a mess over $1. Very upsetting.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I have four charges on my account via a debit card that I use maybe 3 times a month. These charges were for services in California while I live all the way across the country and was thousands of miles away from California at the time of the "service." Not only that, but there are charges for Uber Eats all other the place and they don't even come close to serving my area.

So I attempt to follow protocol and go online and post my issues with unrecognized transactions... thinking surely that can look up the records and say like, "Ok, you were right. Let me give you your STOLEN money back." No way, I get these stupid robot emails as a facade from some dude with a weird name who obviously is not allowed to be a human being and I was then routed back to a series of another set of red tapes. I've had with these self-righteous stuck up jerks and their little metro robot customer service game. I don't even know how they even have even one speck of superiority given their world-renowned data breach. Dara needs to shine up his little bald head some more. Grrrr.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

After my account was hacked and rides from England were charged to my credit card I decided to cancel my UBER account. UBER refuses to send me a check for an amount of money credited to my account. They claim that they do not issue checks. I had to cancel my credit card because of their customer database was hacked. They never notified their customers that the database was hacked!!! The amount of money they owe me is irrelevant, it is the principle of the matter.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Decided to give Uber a try so loaded their app. My first "trip" was to return home after dropping my car off at dealer. Evening before I spent 20 minutes setting up my account and unsuccessfully setting my first trip. The next morning it took another frustrating 15 minutes to make the app understand that I wasn't traveling FROM home but TO home. Such an easy and logical event but the idiot app designers at Uber can't see that as an option. I finally left home with anticipation of using Uber for the first time. At the dealer I waited for 45 minutes for an Uber ride that never showed. Took a cab home and on the way got two messages from Uber, the first obviously from another customer asking "are you coming" and the second telling me there were no Uber cars available... this in Denver! Have since deleted the app.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Got new phone. Trying to get app on new phone. Says account already exist. Call support no number, number on website 1300. Something fake. Says tap Uber icon on app, cant get new app installed. Never rode yet but had old account hooked up to PayPal for emergency. Tried to find support email. None I can find. No humans live here.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

This morning, I had three charges from the UK (Uber Eats). I receive notifications about purchases per charge, as I was also involved in the Equifax breach. I'm assuming that my Uber account was hacked, as three orders were placed, and my credit card information is saved. I even got a call from a +44 country code, which is the UK, asking where I was and how to deliver my food. To top it off, my card was expired, yet Uber still authorized the charges. I canceled my card with Capital One and wrote two separate emails to Uber. I have YET to receive a response, which is pretty terrible - especially considering the breach that they neglected to tell everyone about not long ago. I like Uber, but will seriously be considering whether I want to trust Uber with my information.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I was ordering the Uber for my dad who doesn't speak English well. Uber notified me that I wasn't a rider, so I added my dad as a rider, and didn't realize that there is NO way to contact the driver once you add a rider. This was very confusing. I called the driver right away and could not give her ample directions to get to my dad. She drove around for 5 minutes without me being able to give her directions and my dad could not give her directions, and I got slapped with a cancellation fee. Please fix this issue or be sure to clarify to people order the Uber that they cannot contact the driver if they add another rider.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

TLDR: Uber driver made stop for me, left with my stuff, charged me more and more, never came back and cancelled my trip after 10 minutes. -To Start: DO NOT EVER ADD STOPS. I have used Uber all over the world and asked drivers to make stops many times. This week was the last time. Story: Seattle WA USA. I had a great dinner after shopping and was in downtown Seattle. I requested an UBER, waited for the driver, who had a hard time finding the location I was at, although very easy to find. After he picked me up I asked him to stop by a store so I could grab some water before arriving at my destination. He agreed.

We found a store, he parked in front, and I told him, "Wait here. It will take me 2 minutes." He said, "There may be traffic and I have to go around the block." I said, "Sure, just be sure to meet me right here." He agreed. I ran in, came out 1 minute later and he wasn't there. I opened the APP, looked to see his location and it seemed he was circling the block. Suddenly he made a strange turn and started driving away from me. I tried to call, no answer, message, no answer, he then ended my trip after racking up the charges.

Worst part?? No one in UBER can ever help me. I have talked to roughly 10 people all who don't read history and repeat things. They said "they will restrict his driving" until my items are returned. They then said the items were returned to their office. I asked for photographic evidence, none provided and a sudden email stating that they aren't responsible for items left in a car after a trip ends!!! I was left! Abandoned then he racked up charges and stole my stuff.

I am waiting on them to reply to my latest messages, and if unsuccessful will end up hiring a lawyer which will cost more than me just buying what I lost. I hate UBER now after years of using them. I will never use them again unless my company pays and I will never trust them again. Sure maybe I should have kept my items in my hand, but I have never been deceived and robbed like this in my life.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I recently took an Uber with a friend from an event back to my apartment (both in San Francisco). She called the Uber for us, and upon exiting the car I quickly realized I left my purse (including my wallet with my driver’s license, credit card, debit card, etc.) in the backseat of the car. The only way you are able to get in contact with anyone is through the app, and only my friend can contact the driver as it was through her account. It has now been over 24 hours since the ride and attempting to contact the driver and I have not been able to get in contact with the driver nor any kind of representative from Uber (as there is no general number to call to speak with a representative). Extremely angry and will not be using Uber again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

When I first started using them they would quote 10 to $11 in the trip. Usually cost 10 to $11. Now the same quote and the trip is costing 15 to $18 because drivers are adding on charges that are frivolous and unethical. I have twice been charged wait times when there was no wait times. The added fees are growing. This company does not operate above board. They have no checks or balances in place. Looking for alternatives Uber.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

On Nov. 17th 2017 I requested a Uber ride at 5:20am. Had to be at work at 6 o'clock. Am a half hour ride. The driver got to me at 5:45 am and after a 20 min. Debate with the driver of where I live at and work. Needless to say I arrived at work late. After I reported the driver to the company they promised to refund me my money back. To this day have not seen it.

Then today again I requested a Uber ride at again 5:20 am. After watching and calling the Uber driver to let him know that he was going the wrong way to my house he cursed me out and hung up on me. This was at 5:40 am. He must had refused my ride cause I was given a new driver and this driver also didn't know where to go. He also was going the wrong way and when he did finally got close to me I called him to tell him he was on the wrong street. I ended up going into a big debate with him. After 10 mins he listened to me and followed my directions to my house. I got to work today at 6:30 a half hour late again and now Uber rejects your emails and don't have a number to call to complain but they don't have a problem with double charging you for one ride or even charging you. Signed very disappointed rider.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I ordered a pick up from airport to a gas station to meet my companion who drives trucks over the road. The driver took route that is not normally taken, but I knew the route. I do this weekly and knew the rates and routes. He didn't speak and it was a quiet ride. I got toy destination thanked him and got out. I normally get a response to rate and tip driver as soon as I get out. This time I didn't so screenshot my rate and info. I got it almost 20 mins later and it was double my original rate because he charged me for his return trip to the same airport. I contacted the number listed next to bank charge only to be told to go thru the Help on the app and then phone disconnected.

Went thru the app and nothing specific for overcharging; however I selected something. Standard response, "We will check into it." Several hours later I explained I have proof and they finally agreed to refund a portion. No discount or future pass. No personal customer service. My overall experience is leading me back to renting and driving myself. You can't overcharge me then give me an email and expect me to do business with you again. Please be careful and check your charges. With the lack of personal service it's not a situation you want to be in. Thanks Uber, for your lack of customer service and theft by driver, I will depend on myself from now on.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Landed at LAX and at curve at 3:10PM 11/18/2017 and called on Uber (TM) for an economy ride a little under $12 for a 3.5 mile run to work. Watched the car coming on it when it suddenly cancelled and I had to start over at 3:18PM, only this time the fee was going to be $14+ dollars. I had to take a call, and by 3:35PM it was up to $24, but they didn't show the price, I just got the 2.5x normal rate. I could have taken a taxi for $19. And the Airport wasn't that crowded. Parking for a 3 day trip would have been the same cost.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I arrived at the San Antonio airport and checked for an Uber. It stated $12.21, however, my luggage has not come out yet so I waited to confirm. When I received my luggage I checked again and the price jumped to $21.12. The caption stated price increase due to demand. To me that’s price gouging. I will never use Uber again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I live in Springfield MA. It used to cost $6.50 one way to go 5 minutes away. Now it's $10.50 one way! That's a drastic increase! I only used them infrequently as I'm receiving disability and have financial hardship. Now I can't afford them at all! As a former dental hygienist, in my opinion this is unethical and unprofessional business practices.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I accidentally posted the wrong address. I tried to tell the driver the was incorrect. He would not listen. He kept driving in the wrong direction for several miles. The trip was a twice the amount for the same trip I took early. I guess with Uber the customer is not always right. The driver padded the fare by not listening.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Sadly I have not had very good service in Edmonton by Uber in the last few months. I have been sworn at by drivers, insulted by drivers, had advances made toward me by drivers, and more. Most drivers refused to come into my condo complex because the GPS shows my address as in the middle of the road. If I pin the address as suggested on their website they go to the wrong address and then cancel the trip. I regularly get double charged and have to request a refund. Also I have been noticing that in the last few weeks I have be quoted a rate, charge the rate, then refunded that rate, and charged a higher rate every trip. The saddest part of all is that in Edmonton Uber is the safest way to travel outside of the bus. I wouldn't get into a cab in this city ever and now I don't ever want to get into an Uber. I have contact Uber about my issues as well and been threatened multiple times. Uber is all about $$. They could care less about their customers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I am sad and angry, I have bad experience with Uber before but this time has been the worse! I left my Quinny Buzz Xtra on the Uber last Sunday and I called several times to the driver but he never answer any of my calls, two days after he finally text me back about the items left on the vehicle and he told me that he is not the owner of the car, that he gave it back to the owner on Monday at 6 pm. That my stroller was probably there, so I request to call the owner of the car in that case and he said he didn't have a number to reach the guy.

So to this I take action saying that I was going to track the plate # so I could contact him. Next this driver (Cristian) send me a pic with a number telling me that he believe that was the contact info for Gustavo, owner of the car. So I called, no answer, send messages, and let know Cristian that I couldn't reach Gustavo... Then he says that Gus was working, long story short, Gustavo owner of the car used for Uber called me and I explain the situation. To this he says that he had to call the police on Cristian because he wouldn't answer calls, messages or nothing and he wasn't paying his commission for using the car to work... ok! So Uber support just keep saying relax, “I am sorry we can't do anything because they are contractors.” Really?! So Cristian stole my stroller ($500) and it's all good. I should sit down and be happy about it. Now I got to buy a new one. This is really disappointed. #ubercostarica#

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

On 11/12 I was trying get answer why my account was charged twice from ride on 11/11. However my question was never answer (within 4th separate messages) each time I have received the same respond (automatically respond) that was unclear and not on topic. On 11/11 my account was charged in amount of $14.13 and $1 for tip and on 11/12 my account was charged again in amount of $14.64. When I asked why my account was charged twice, customer service explanation for addition "waiting fees" charge which is 2 mins. Which is unclear why I was charged twice in amount of $14. My experience with Uber customer service was frustrated and unsatisfied.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

We had a 15 minute ride from friend's house around 11pm, nothing out of the ordinary. In the morning, driver send us a $150 fee for cleaning along with pictures of vomit??? RIDICULOUS!!! Why don't they charge the person that actually did it??? So frustrating to deal with it now.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Multiple times I have asked for support from Uber and I get nonsensical responses from the non-existent response team. It is beyond frustrating. Aside from not having any customer service team, they have no address. I have tried countless ways to research a physical address with phone numbers but there are none. I do not know how a company can operate like this. Have plenty of resources for their drivers, but none for their customers.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Out of desperation, I signed up for Uber for an appointment. Registration was easy, and the app kept me informed about the time of arrival, which was FAST. A driver happened to be in my area and came right away. I was texted a photo and his ID by Uber, so I was reassured - but I did forward it to a family member as a security precaution. The driver was SO kind - congenial and eager to please. It was such a great introduction to Uber and I have been happy ever since.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I had just completed running the New York Marathon and had requested an Uber Pool ride back to my hotel. First, let me tell you what started out right: The driver agreed to the pick up and drop off locations via the app. I then called and spoke with the driver to let him know that the pick up location was actually blocked off due to the marathon, and we agreed on another pickup location 1 block away before the race road block. Before I was picked up, I got a notification that another rider would be joining for part of my ride. I was picked up by the driver at the spoken agreed upon location; shortly the 2nd passenger was picked up and dropped off. Now here is where it all went wrong: Moments after continuing to my destination, I got a notification via the app on my phone that my ride had ended.

I asked my driver what was going and he claimed, "Gee I don't, I have another passenger to pick up now and your ride is over so you need to get out now". Still confused, I asked him again how my could be over when we were still far from my agreed upon destination? This time he clearly played dumb, saying over and over again that he doesn't understand how is Uber app works, and I had to get out. In the middle of the street, by myself, in a strange location that was not even anywhere on my route.

Not wanting to argue, as it was clear that he had a new ride request for another that would clearly be more lucrative for him, and myself not wanting to continue the ride with this jerk, I peacefully exited the car where I stood in front of a private residence mid-town, shivering cold in the 50 degree, rainy weather, in the dark, having just completed running the 26.2 mile marathon and wanting nothing more than a safe ride back to the hotel to seek much needed rest, warmth and safety. No sooner than I exited the car, the driver was already scrawling his new fare's name of a piece of paper and standing outside his car, in the street, to meet his new fare, not once even having inkling of conscientiousness for what he had just done to me. And the driver still had the nerve to charge me $10 partial fare!!

Not excited to be using the Uber app again, but not on a street where any taxis were coming by and not having another other apps installed (such as Lyft), I requested a new ride. I was connected shortly with another driver that was 10 minutes away. 10 minutes is not an very long amount of time, if you are warm and safe, but again, dressed in running clothes, weary, and expecting to be a in safe warm car, I was stranded on the street to pace, alone, to wait for this driver. Also, this being not on a main street, and traffic very heavy due to the marathon rode closures, the 10 minute wait for him to be able to get to me was realistic. To my eternal happiness, he arrived within 5 minutes, and delivered me safely and nicely to my hotel.

The next day, finding the only way to file a complaint to Uber was via the app. I sent my complaint and within a couple hours was replied to with a wet blanket apology for the "inconvenience" and offered me a $5 credit of the $10 I was charged. To make this even worse, Uber credited the $5 towards another driver, one we had taken the day before!! I wrote back to have this corrected, to not harm the previous day's good driver's reputation or take from his well earned pay, and to preserve my good relationships with all the other good Uber drivers I have rode with.

Uber than wrote back with a full credit of my $10 (better, but certainly not enough to make up for the dangerous situation this driver put me in), and no mention of any discipline for this driver. I told Uber I would never use them again and would use Lyft from now on. Although all my many, many Uber experiences over the past few years that I have had have been 5-star, this one bad apple ruined Uber forever with me.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My appointment time for auto repairs required a drop-off early am for it to be there and available for a mechanic to begin the work. The Uber app was easily installed on my mobile device and was followed with the required information being filled onto the blanks. When typing a phone number, it gave an order to check SMS texts for a confirmation code to be used along with the number. No text sent with first try at 7:30 am. More tries, no texts and had to give up. Four hours later the texts with codes were sent at 11:08 am. Two attempts were unsuccessful at emailing Uber headquarters in San Francisco that included a few lively suggestions. As follows; I suggest someone there unclog your ride summoning impacted website rectum by swallowing an online laxative, followed by a readily available Fleets enema from a pharmacy.

I now must wait 1 1/2 weeks to have repairs done from being a no-show at the shop. That means safety concerns to drive as is. When using Uber once 9 months past, things went far better and a problem cleared up pronto by an apologetic and most courteous driver. What a letdown on this go round. If the world's greatest ability is dependability, why then are public service companies not aware of and learning such an important aspect of the business world?

This incident is a second of its kind with the same problem and still no fix. Then, unlike now, I had made contact with their home base, only to be treated rudely and with great disrespect. Perhaps a reply is better not forthcoming after all. I at least have a choice of 4 codes and might need one to request service 12 hours ahead of when it is needed. Uber folks, you had oughta uncrimp the do-do contained in the app from the Google store.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Whether I am using Uber for a ride service or Uber Eats ordering food the service has been terrible. Out of the 10 times ordering food from Uber Eats 9 times food has been forgotten. Every time I have requested a refund for the missing item until recently they told me to refrain from this type of behaviour and told me they would be restricting my account. Not sure why I should be punished for their drivers not checking the food prior to delivery. Recently while traveling I ordered an Uber to the place I was staying, I notified the driver it was a tricky place to find and even provided extremely specific instructions. I attempted to contact the driver numerous times but had no response. The driver cancelled the trip and I was charged a cancellation fee. I guess moral of the story is this company makes the consumer pay for their employees mistakes. Please refrain from using this service if possible, I know I'll be finding alternatives.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Why is it so hard for you to understand that if I am trying to retrieve Uber cab, with the same email just a different phone number that it is me? If you say it is for security and you don’t recognize the phone number, then your security system is **. Because therefore if it was any good, your security system would link my original number to my new number which is under the same account and recognize that it is me. So stop rejecting my new number. What do you think I want everyone calling me on my private or personal number. Do not respond to this until you have fixed your problems. Or IT will only tell "you people" TO SHUT THE ** UP. And now I just tried to send this and you would not let me go pass 2. Why would I put any amount of stars when you serviced me zero amount of stars.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs