1.73/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 22, 2018

838 Uber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

While on vacation in Dania Beach, Florida, we called a driver to pick us up from an Airbnb and this driver was unable to find the address. Don't all Uber drivers have GPS??? We will not try to use Uber again.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I booked a cab. Why would the rider be 15 to 20 mins away and still take the pick up. And later I was not able to contact the driver Senthil **. Number was not valid it said. Whatever then even after waiting for long... It was still that far away... It was no use. Later I had to cancel the ride as it was just not approaching on the map towards me. It was going ahead. Later after canceling the ride why should I bear the cost. Is it always our mistake?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

I took Uber this morning to work and lost my cell phone in the driver's car. I have my passwords on my phone and I don't know my Uber app password. I can't reset my password because there is 2-step verification and I don't have my cell phone to receive the text message code. I have left 4 separate requests for help through the Uber website and I have heard nothing from them, after almost 3 hours. There is apparently no published Uber phone number that I can call. I am beyond frustrated. I will never use Uber again; my family will never use Uber again; I am going to tell anyone and everyone about my extremely negative experience in the hopes that they will never use Uber again. I will join the #deleteUber campaign. I will testify in Congress if I get the chance. This is just ridiculous.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I was 2 years with Uber. After some however they deactivated me permanently through a system generated multiple messages by itself. Bleach was hitting me hard. Multiple times underpaid. I was not impressed. They are not a nice company and they decided to deactivated me. To get my money over 20000 dollars underpaid 85% was promised. But turned out 50% only and fee for me and the rider pick up fee. I think Uber was good when they was paying the driver right but knowing that are going to be criminal stuff from creating a hassle working and freaking out situation from support in live. This people are awesome in threatening the people bad and take their money.

Uber should get deactivated. Bad business and customer service no way. Drivers need to sleep in their car to make a living. I wished every rider would see this... But enough. Here the list. Underpaid drivers, doppel fee, not paying the tips to the driver, rating manipulate, employees support frequently freaking out and miss competitive, app regenerate message complaints, app is stalking all data from drivers, app is manipulate drives dramatically, Uber make drivers depend on them, no way of handling people with respect or rights, just ripping off drivers and riders.

Original review: April 18, 2018

On April 16th, I purchased a $10 Uber gift card to add to my credits to ensure I had enough credits to go to store and back home. This brought my credit balance to 13.50, one way ride was $6, therefore, I would have the $12 total to cover there and back, well I thought. On attempt to confirm ride home I had no credits remaining, even after the first ride receipt only showed $6. This left me stranded and having to walk 4 miles home because I had no more payment options. Contacted Uber via email when made it home. They gave me some dumb excuse about an authorization hold on an additional $6 to ensure there was enough on payment method to cover trip. Well first of all, this policy relates to debit or credit card use, and secondly, I've ride many times using gift cards and this never happened. Well they continued to reply saying the hold was released and I should contact my bank. HILARIOUS... what bank... idiots, I used YOUR UBER gift card.

Then they tell me the hold should have been released and credited back to my Uber account within a couple of hours. Well it's been 2 days, still nothing. The fact that this business is willing to lose a 5 star regular customer over $6 says a lot about how much they value your business. It isn't amount the amount for me, it is the inconvenience of being stranded and having to walk 4 miles home, after purchasing a gift card to ensure I have enough credits to cover this. Moral of story, if you are using an UBER gift card to cover your UBER ride make sure you purchase DOUBLE the amount because they will put an "authorization hold" on one amount and then deduct another charge of same amount. And do nothing to rectify the situation. A very comical and shady business practice. I've included screenshots of them advising me to contact my bank. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: April 17, 2018

I usually take regular Uber. On April 15th I was traveling from Evanston to Hyatt at McCormick center and I called Uber pool since I had more time. The charges they showed were $16.32 and I accepted it. However they charged me $27.93. When I contacted Uber support, they continued to give me boilerplate answers. This is extremely frustrating. I explained to them that I had put the right address and was dropped off at right place, but they refused. The driver's name was Yvonne, and the Uber support is from someone named KOUSHIK from India (judging from the time posted, it say April 17th, and it's still April 16th in USA). This stupid jerk kept on telling me that I had different drop off than what was requested. I took back the Uber from same place, so check it jerk. To make my experience worse, when I took the ride back, again with Uber, he dropped me off 2 blocks away and I had to walk in pouring rain. Never again.

Original review: April 16, 2018

During a trip to NYC, I quickly found that Uber rides are more expensive than cab fare. I decided to try the ride share one evening when money was tight. When I ordered the ride, it gave a pick up time 10 to 15 minutes away. When I accepted, it immediately changed to 1 minute, and I had to run to catch the ride. The driver dropped me off at a corner in Times Square, in the pouring rain, telling me this was my destination. I realized that he had dropped me 4 blocks away. I wandered around Times Square, in the pouring rain, dressed for a reception. My shoes and purse were completely ruined, as was my evening. I am deleting the app. I will never use them again.

Original review: April 15, 2018

On April 15th several of my friends were downtown at a concert and decided to take an Uber to and from the concert so none of us would drink and drive. Our first UberXL (1-6 people) was $53 for 21 miles. No problem. When it came time to leave later that evening we selected the same Uber except the upfront price shown was $54.82. That was fine. When we arrived at our drop off destination another simple 21 miles away our ending fare was $124.42... Confused I contacted Uber since this was our first time using the service and I was told that the fare was correct and they up the prices at night to encourage drivers to be there. I was told there was nothing they could do and was assured that the fare was correct.

After several messages later they credited my account $31.10 to make up for the misunderstanding which does me no good because I will never use their service again. It would be worth staying sober the whole night and driving everyone home for the price it ended up costing us grand total with tips. Our drivers were very good and safe though. Nothing against them. Uber claims they are transparent but we discovered the hidden fees and prices that quickly add up depending on the time of day.

Original review: April 15, 2018

My account was hacked by someone in London who has been using it to bill rides for 5 days (starting 4/10). I cancelled/deleted my account via the App. The charges continued. I contacted Uber support via Twitter who told me to change my password - which I did. The charges continued. They have credited some of the charges but now the support team doesn't seem to be actually investigating my problem. I only receive "boiler plate" responses and no resolution. On 4/15 I deleted the account using the Web interface. I also deleted it again from my phone. I will contact my credit card company to deny payment for these rides.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I don't understand why Uber expect you to pay the driver for a trip when they have taken you to the wrong place. Because the drive GPS pick the wrong locate. I think that a Driver should check the locate where you're going when you live in a Big city when there a lot of places that sound and spell the same. Very dissatisfied. Very dissatisfied. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I booked cab at 11 pm but the cab not at all moving towards my pickup location. I called driver so many times, but he was unable to pickup the call. Still I waited for 20 mins after I cancelled the ride. For this I need to bear cancellation fee. This is happened for so many times. My issue is not with fee and all. It's all about night time waiting for a ride after so many hours of journey.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Wait time fee assessed being the following conditions are true. I ordered the Uber in the exact location I was standing when the Uber arrived. The Uber driver did NOT await on me one second as I was waiting in an obvious location that is easily visible from anywhere in the parking lot. According to the policy, although the driver didn’t wait for me - I was the one who waited. “A fee will be begin a few minutes after your driver arrives” & “We will notify you that a charge has started”. Neither of these conditions occurred.

This seems to be a regular shady practice. This isn’t normally something I would notice however since it occurred before I was reviewing the bill. It’s bad enough they charge all these surcharges and fees when it’s clearly not high/volume or peak times (you can see Uber’s in area). They also charge duplicate charges (base fare, distance, time, booking fee) there all for the same thing. It’s ridiculous that I go to the same place at same time every week and the price deviates such significant percentages. This is not the 1st time this wait time charge was assessed when I was waiting outside.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I had ordered a Uber cab and when I ordered it the fee was around $6, however once I arrived at my destination I received a notice that they had charged me extra fees without my knowledge or permission. I contacted them about this through Twitter and somehow my complete order was changed to the larger car, which I did not order. I guess they don't know that people get notifications when another device logs into your account because I received a notification that someone in Orange County had logged into my Uber account.

Original review: April 12, 2018

When I first started riding with Uber a year ago the price was OK and when they were "surging" it was usually early morning, holidays and late night. Now it seems like the surging is constant. Price is one thing and another minute later it's ten dollars or more higher and it's not even a holiday or early morning or weather conditions. Drivers are charging fees for things that haven't happened, like spills, cleaning fees, burnt cigarettes. I don't smoke, but I learned early on always take pictures before and after your trips 'cause drivers will try to get you. They aren't ending trips on time, they're canceling without even getting close to the pickup spot. This company is out of control in pricing and driver and company customer service.

I have a car but I use to use them if I didn't want to pay high parking fees. But believe me it's so much cheaper 'cause you never know when Uber is "surging" which is all hours of the day, even though on my phone map it will show numerous cars sitting close by but they're in high demand. Yeah okay. I'm done with these ride sharing apps. They are scamming and it's too much to get your money returned 'cause there's no one to talk to. Emailing them take forever. Good luck to anyone needing them. This company should be held to some sort of laws about how much they can charge on a short or long trip. $95.05 for a 3.3 mile trip is ridiculous. And then they want you to tip, and I'm one who believes in that. But tipping is based upon service, and to me Uber is not delivering that anymore.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I've been using Uber for 2 years now. They started off as a great company but they've been steadily increasing their fares. I have noticed a trend with them as of recently. Several Uber drivers will sit in a parking lot and do nothing and jacked up the prices of rides. I go just under 3 miles to work and just under three miles back home. Not a very long distance but they tried to charge me as much as $40 S4 just 3 miles.

They often go to the wrong place and blame me for it when I clearly tell them where to go and now they charged a wait fee as well. I think there should be a limit to how much they can charge on their so-called surcharges. $40 for two and a half miles is crazy and I even got within 1 mile of my house by walking and it was still $38. There is no limit to how high they will go and their charges. Half their drivers don't even know where they're going. Some don't even speak English. This is the worst company I have ever seen and a lawsuit needs to be filed against them.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I took A UBER from Slidell to New Orleans which is about 30 minutes. Cost was ok. But on the way back it charged me 187$ for the same trip. NEVER AGAIN!!! I wouldve been better off to take my own car!!! THIS company should be fined for gouging and taking advantage of people. I do not recommend UBER to nobody!!!

Original review: April 7, 2018

Like many others Uber charged me multiple cancellation fees that were driver's fault, not mine. Instead of refunding my Gift Card, they issue me Uber Credit. That credit has not been used for payment on the 30 trips I have made since it was sent to me. I have sent close to 100 messages to HELP and they assured me that if I added more money on my gift card it would be applied on next trip. 30 trips and $350 later, credit still there. After 45 days of constantly getting rides denied for insufficient funds, when my gift card/Uber credit amount that is combined together in payment was more than enough, I went to Houston Greenlight Hub. They too refuse to help me out and actually had security force me off the property.

Only thing I got out of them is that Uber Credits cannot be used with gift card payment, only bank cards. So that means that HELP's messages assuring me that next gift card will work was BS. They told me I had to apply a valid bank card to use credits. I told them that I refuse to since they were hacked and customers information and money was stolen from their servers. The reply given by the MANAGER of the Hub was, "I guess you don't want that credit then huh".

These people don't care one bit about their paying customers and need to be exposed for the crap they pull. I'm sending emails to my local news station and paper with the details and support messages sent, in hopes that they will do a story on Uber. I hope that others will do the same. They will keep screwing us with bogus charges and refuse to correct them until someone stands up and let everyone else know how they do business. To me it's unfathomable how they don't have a customer service phone number to call. They pretty much put Yellow Cab out of business and took over the #1 spot, but no C Service to speak to?

Almost seems like they don't care or know that if they did they might actually have to give the money they took back. Either way, I'm going to do all I can to inform as many people possible of their unwillingness to properly provide customers with any type of real contact information and refusal to reimburse those who they improperly charged. That's stealing in my eyes and they should get punished like anyone else would if they did the same.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Uber as a company does not care about consumers. First, there is no way to communicate or get support. Second, there is no consistency between the website and the app. What can be done in one cannot in the other and vice versa. Third, the app does not always do what it is told. For instance I wanted to pay with a credit card and it defaulted to another account even though I specifically chose the CC. Fourth, the app rates the rider but does not give feedback. How does a rider know what they did that offended the driver so they can correct it? Finally, the web page and the app are cumbersome. It is extremely ironic that a user has to verify. They are not a robot to access a utility run completely by computers.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I was a driver for Uber 01/17- 04/18. In this time Uber has accused me of multiple accidents. To which I've had none. Uber has accused me of carrying a firearm, to which I don't. To my knowledge Uber manipulates driver ratings in order to keep people at certain levels. They need so many people at a certain rating to keep numbers active. If you choose to work for this pathetic company do it part time, don't do it full time. It's not worth it. If you are forced to work full time start looking for something else.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Many people are thinking that Uber can help for earning some money. But it is totally wrong. Uber is already charging very low fare from customers and after all Uber is paying more low to the driver. Few days ago I made a call from Uber as a driver from Albany NY to JFK NY. Which is usually cost in regular taxi service about $350. In this payment the driver is paying for gas charges, toll charges, time duration, safe driving skill and etc. After dropping off to customer, driver must have to come back to his hometown as well. While coming back, the driver is not allowed to pick any passenger from JFK NY legally. After all the driver can save only $150. I got paid $153 only from Uber. And Uber charged $215 from customer. Which also very low. In this whole trip both side I put my life in risk and provided neat and safe ride with expert safe driving skill.

In this amount I paying my tax and many more travel expenses. And I save nothing after spending my whole day. I cannot drive in NYC area with Uber legally. It requires TLC NYC License for driving with Uber in NYC. I came back without having any passenger. This is totally unfair with any driver in Uber. I did not earn anything from this Uber ride. How Uber is calculating the fares, only Uber is making money, driver is not making anything. Driver can't save any penny on every ride. They are paying less than vehicle expenses. I. Which amount any driver cannot say that he/she had made good money. In any business an investor always charges for service a reasonable amount, in that amount investor is making his/her business expenses and profit.

Then the investor can say happily that he/she had made something good. Uber expects with the driver to provide neat and clean vehicle with safe driving skill. Uber already charging very low fare from riders and paying more low to drivers. How the drivers can save and can maintain their vehicles. Uber is destroying the taxi fare market. This why many people are joining and leaving Uber daily. I am totally disappointed from Uber because of all this scene.

Original review: April 3, 2018

UBER charged me for trips on Dec. 29. 2017 to Dec. 31, 2017, but then the second driver for UBER overcharged me for the trips for the dates I have listed above and the first trip was to do an application for a apartment in Wood Village Apartments. Then after that I told him to go to the pharmacy to pick up my vitamins on Capital Street in Jackson MS, then after that I told that second driver to take me back to ** and the trips the second driver for UBER was supposed to take me to is for the particular dates I listed. He overcharged me $333.00 for all those trips and I ended up only having $35.00 left in my account and debit cash management card from Fidelity after the UBER driver took all of my money off my Fidelity debit card ending in **.

I never got reimbursed for my $333.00 from UBER and I don't schedule transportation with these people anymore, because they lie and tell me they are going to give me transportation, but the drivers for UBER never give me any type of transportation requests, so I end up wasting my money and my time trying to get transportation from UBER. Let everyone know that UBER is a scam and they really don't transport people anywhere. They only tell people they are going to transport people, so they can take money off their credit card and leave them with nothing! Make sure this transportation company's permit to transport passengers will be terminated forever in the United States and worldwide!

Original review: April 2, 2018

Both of our phones tied to our Uber Account were with us in Las Vegas, NV. One phone received a text that an UBER driver was waiting for us at a location in Columbus Ohio. We responded that we were in Nevada and had not requested the ride. The ride was cancelled as a no-show and we were charged two five dollar no show fees. We have had at least 20 e-mail conversations with UBER customer service and they continue to insist that the request came from our phone. Uber has no phone access.

Original review: April 1, 2018

UBER does not properly investigate passenger complaints. They just take the word of the passenger who can malign your character at will. Twice accused of being impaired, but do not do drugs or alcohol just misjudged a turn on a narrow street the first time and the second time have no clue what they thought I’d done and Uber doesn’t tell you.

Another time I got blocked from driving was because I returned a phone that was forgotten in my car and the girl was crazy talking about her job and life and I was nice enough to listen and offered some advice. The final block and formal dismissal was that I offered my hand to hold an older lady out of the back seat of my car and was accused of sexual misconduct. That one is beyond nuts. They obviously don’t look at all the 100s of positive ratings and wonderful compliments. They only look at the false accusations. I guess I could accuse any driver of anything and make them unemployed in a snap. UBER needs a more reliable method of investigating complaints as their current method is possibly causing some unverifiable character assassinations. Not a very employee friendly company. Shows it is just about the MONEY for them. Would never advise anyone to drive for or use Uber!

Original review: March 27, 2018

The upfront price that came up was $37 for a ride from French Quarters to the airport on March 26. I was charged $55. On March 22 we took Uber from airport to the French Quarter and it was $37. It was the same time of day, approx 1:30-2 pm. I put in a complaint to Uber and their response was that there is a delay between the upfront price and the actual price charged. I asked why it would be that much more at the same time of day with no traffic from when we took Uber from airport. No response or offer to refund me the difference. No apologies. Very poor customer service. Don't use Uber because they will show a cheaper price upfront to get you to use them over Lyft but will charge you more. Scam.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Uber seems to be using Ride Share to attract customers to purchase flat rate rides to selective customers. I have been a customer for a long time but no one get any type of perks for using their service almost every day. It's not fair that there aren't any services that can be helpful to a woman who has anxiety of taking public transportation. It's very difficult and I feel they take advantage of consumer.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My email was used in many occasions in Moscow, however I am never been in Moscow and living in USA. After contacting Uber help I received reply in Russian language which I don’t understand. They played some games and asked for information to prove negative. They don’t accepted my email with any reasonable answers and so far my email has been used in Russia on Uber services.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Low customer support. Does not have professional customer service. Not proactive and well understand the issue but just promptly answer to meet timeline kpi. I have been contacted an issue for a year and it never been resolved. They assign multiple person to reply on an issue and none of them has just read through the previous email and just randomly answer the initial question by procedure. It makes me feel I am talking to a chat bot with low logical script and takes me too much time to explain in details what is going on. They even copy and paste exactly the same message they had sent to me for 4 times.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Today, right now as I'm writing this, for the second day, I have been waiting for a ride since 1 pm. It is now 6:02. Drivers have literally been driving right past me for hours. Yesterday I thought I would be stranded at worst when no Uber driver would pick me up. I will not EVER use Uber again. Lyft IT IS!!!

Original review: March 24, 2018

Last week I ordered an Uber but I canceled it before it arrived and took the bus instead. When I got home I received an email from Uber saying that they had revised my charge. Apparently the driver filed a claim for something Uber called a "cleaning fee". I disputed this saying that I had not even entered the vehicle and asked for proof of this claim. They then sent me several photos which showed what appeared to be damage to a seat cushion from a cigarette burn.

Again, I disputed the fee. I was eventually able to get them to reverse the $80.00 fee but not without MULTIPLE emails back and forth. I have since sent them several emails asking what kind of consequences there would be for this driver and asking for a reply. None have been received so I guess that means that there are NO consequences for this dishonest, greedy driver. Terrible service. I will be closing my Uber account. I would rather take the bus than risk having another similar experience. Be careful out there!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I ordered Uber in Fla. The driver came promptly. Anyway when I checked my account this driver in Fla. charged me $150.00 for cleaning her car over the above price which was $26.19. Uber stated that the driver sent pic that we spilled and messed up her car. Well my husband and I didn't bring any food and no drinks. We had a suitcase and carry on with no liquids. Also the driver stated she had a customer prior to us that made a mess. So if you decide to take Uber I would take pictures of the inside/out so you don't get ripped off. I myself will never take Uber again.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs