3.7/5 (711 ratings)

About Uber

Uber Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: May 16, 2022

Alamo ordered Uber for us after we got stranded. The driver called, gave us his info then canceled the trip and left us stranded. Negative stars to Jean is arriving now in a black Cadillac ATS, in Naples Florida.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Got cancelled 5 minutes before scheduled trip to airport & was told new driver was to come in 30 minutes which was too late. Immediately texted to cancel the revised driver & took a taxi. UBER charged a cancellation fee for their screw up.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2022

While traveling in Tampa Florida my young son left his iPhone in the car. The driver was completely nonresponsive. Uber was no help. Even though we could see the phone on find my iPhone driving around Tampa obviously left in the vehicle, the only response we ever received from Uber was that the driver said he couldn’t find the phone and the driver never responded directly at all. We would give exact times and locations as to where the phone was to demonstrate that it was driving around in the Uber.

Nothing, no help, we offered to pay the driver to come to where we were staying so that we could look in the car ourselves. Nothing, no response from anybody and ultimately Uber just said we can’t do anything else and closed our help request. Sad and frustrating that they would not help in spite of all this lip service to the contrary. After four days of watching the phone drive around Tampa the battery died so we could not track it anymore. Obviously the lesson is don’t leave anything in your Uber, but this was an easy one to fix and no one involved with Uber put forth any effort.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I really liked Uber until now so this isn't easy. Let me start out by saying that I had an appointment with uber back on April 19, 2022 at 2:30am to drive me and my friend to the airport. I arranged for this service 5 days in advance 04/14. My whole appointment time appeared to be approved and ready on April 19. Now, come to find out when the actual day came on Tuesday, April 19 at 2:30am in the morning no one actually showed up. I woke up around 2am and both me and my friend George rushed out in front of Country Inn Suites where we were staying. When I first woke up, I checked my Uber app and accordingly, it stated that my service was good to go and a driver was on its way, when I finally got outside within 10 minutes, somehow someway it mentioned that no driver was available and me and my friend were very pissed.

Sadly, as a result I had to take my own car to the airport and pay for 8 days of parking from (04/19-04/26) which was almost $150.00 total. If Uber would have come through, it would have only cost me about $40 to 45.00 round trip with tip included. That is why we stayed at Country Inn Suites to store our car at no charge so we could USE UBER to get us to the airport and save us money. Unfortunately, didn't happen and I am very pissed and upset with Uber. I know 2:30am in the morning is usually an odd time to request a ride in the morning from Uber but at the same time, I was under the impression Uber had drivers out on all shifts. Anyhow, if no one was likely to be available somehow someway they should have informed me on the day I made my appointment or sometime before day of my appointment but no one did. I based my faith and decision all in the hands of Uber who has been very reliable and dependable to me up until now.

I tell you, since I used uber off and on I was spreading the good word about Uber saying how much more inexpensive it was than a TAXI CAB RIDE. I only have used Uber for work when my car was in the shop, occasional events in downtown Grand Rapids, or on past trips. I hate to mention this but I can no longer brag about Uber thanks to that incident that happened back on April 19 when Uber did a no show nor notification. They even sent me a $5 coupon promo for next ride saying how sorry they were for failing me. Now considering it cost me a difference of $100 + don't think $5 is much. I will also say this: Even though TAXI CAB rides are a bit more expensive at least they are reliable like Uber ONCE was. Unless Uber can somehow help compensate me for my inconvenience, they have likely lost my business. Sorry Uber!

Original review: April 26, 2022

I became an Uber driver in 2015 and it seemed like a good side gig but there was Grey area with the insurance policies so I bailed. I use a loyal user of uber for many years my rating as a driver and a rider was a 4.8. I recently tried to rejoin the driver platform. I submitted the required information and uber held up my application for weeks because my profile pic was under review. When I called to find out, I would spend hours on hold and being passed from on agent to another. Their email responses were canned and they sent the same reply over and over. Lyft approved my application, not only in the same day, but within an hour. I'm not sure that anyone is actually working for uber and they just have some outsourced system in India posing as a customer service. I'm done with uber as a rider and driver. #deleteuber #notsuperpumded

Original review: April 26, 2022

I have been a "priority" Uber One Platinum member for a while now. WHATEVER THAT MEANS. Every once in a while they throw me a bone in the ballpark of a couple dollars off an Uber Eats order here and there. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on these platforms. I consider Uber and Eats the same btw because they essentially are with the same interface essentially and the merging of accounts. My two most recent experiences are what are prompting this review, because I am fuming! First off, Uber Eats. Last weekend I ordered my usual Eats order from my favorite pizza joint and the order never arrived at my door, although it said it was delivered. Now, any other MUCH SMALLER delivery platform including now Fedex and UPS) will require the driver to snap a photo to cover themselves, the client, and the restaurant/ business to ensure delivery accuracy. Uber, does not. Even for Priority members.

All that money and resources at their finger tips and someone who knows nothing about computers (me) knows that a feature like this built in could solve so much. When I reached out (to, of course, the only way to reach customer support, by clicking an I need help button, they simply refunded my order). Great, but no explanation or sorry, or other resolve to the situation. Subsequently, I ordered again, and this time, the app required my driver to recite a 4 digit pin that I had to come up with. This was Uber's "solution." Not a picture to ensure that it was a the right door or even neighborhood. Next up, is my morning "ride" with Uber. I needed a ride to my job this morning and so I requested a ride. I waited and the app said they arrived. I have no issues with my eyesight and the app gave me the color and make and license plate as usual, but I did not see it. So, I messaged the driver. Twice. They were "read," but no response. So I called.

The driver picked up on the very last ring with a "what?" So I explained the situation, and they informed me that I was in the car. I was on the sidewalk. I told him this and he proceeded to ask whoever was now impersonating me, to verify their name was Steven. Also, asking whoever it really was, if they were going to, and proceeded to state the address of my work. As I saw where this was going, as they were just following along to get the ride I was paying for, I interjected and asked the driver how he picked up what sounded like two people who did not look like me on my profile, and asked if he checked. To which he did not answer but chose to tell me "it doesn't matter now anyway" and hung up. So, my only option was to see the payment go through for a complete stranger and In my opinion thief's ride, get a new ride and hope not to be late, and try to contact support.

I did, and I explained the situation in the support message as best I could and they responded, apologizing, but needing more information please. Three hours later I have still not gotten a response and am now writing as much as I can down, because for me this a safety issue. This driver was supposed to be "5-star" and is not checking who the fare really is, or if they are even at the right pick up spot. To make my Uber experiences even worse, I have one more story that happened about a year ago with my boyfriend and I. We were waiting for a ride in the top of the pandemic, with mask mandates in full effect. The driver arrived and we were having a goodbye kiss, with masks on, but pulled down and briefly. The driver looked and sped off, immediately declining the drive because we were "not masked." I didn't fight the bad rating I received because of it, out of embarrassment. This time I am not letting it go.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Here's my experience, you decide for yourself. We were staying at a hotel in Nashville located a mere 5 miles from downtown. Rather than renting a car we thought we'd just utilize Uber for the three days we were in town. The first ride into town seemed to go smoothly enough and cost $14; reasonable enough. Caught in the rain late on a Friday evening we thought we'd better head back to the hotel so logged into the Uber app for transport... and to our amazement they wanted $41 (yes FORTY ONE $$) dollars for the same 5 mile drive.

I immediately turned to Lyft for our transportation needs and while they quoted the trip at $18, after waiting over 20 minutes in the rain, and multiple texts stating a car was on its way, they could ultimately supply no such vehicle. Returning to Uber we now were quoted a price of $58 (YES you read correctly; FIFTY EIGHT DOLLARS!!) With no choice other than catching pneumonia we were forced to agree to this outlandish extortion!

Thinking this was somehow just a one-off we repeated our journey the next evening. This time, $10 into town AND ANOTHER $58 FOR THE RETURN! You tell me... is this not the exact definition of CORPORATE GOUGING! I completely understand the principles of supply and demand as it relates to the economy but to apply it to your service in the manner Uber does is simply HIGHWAY ROBBERY! Five miles in one direction ... $10, yet the same five miles on the return, just because the demand is greater, a 600% increase! DESPICABLE! Next time... it's a car rental for me. At least I know how I'm getting screwed up front! Uber and Lyft, well, you know where you can go!

Original review: April 19, 2022

Avoid this company at all costs. I used to believe there was essentially no difference between Uber and Lyft, until last night. Read on... Yesterday at 11:10 pm I booked an Uber ride while on the LIRR train from Penn Station to Hempstead, expected to arrive at 11:30 pm. I received confirmation from Uber of my ride and I could even see the driver heading to my pickup location. Upon arrival, the app prompted me to rate the driver and give a tip, which didn't make sense since I had not taken the ride yet. It turns out, the driver decided to leave the location without actually waiting for me, but cashed the money for the trip.

I contacted Uber right away and shared my experience with them, emphasizing the fact that I had been left stranded at midnight in the middle of a powerful storm in a town that is not precisely safe, forcing me to walk for 35 min back to my car, which was parked at Hofstra University, where I work. Uber has already issued a refund for the ride, but has consistently ignored my question about compensation: It seems like, from their perspective, they are not accountable in the slightest. So, in sum, avoid Uber at all costs. I can only imagine how Uber could have made a very bad situation much, much worse if I were a woman being forced to walk by myself under those conditions. Clearly, this company lacks the ability to realize its customers are human beings.

Original review: April 18, 2022

I cannot explain how frustrating it is to have to order 2 hours before I have to be at my spot to be on time. I cannot tell you how many times I've been given a driver an hour away and then late to work. I swear if Uber makes me lose my job I'm gonna be pissed.

Original review: April 18, 2022

On April 17, 2022, my son and I were traveling back to Orange County from Columbia, MO. We had to return our rental car first and then ordered Uber. Upon accepting the trip and cost, I was notified that the driver was en route and will arrive in 15 mins. We tried to call the driver to let him know that we were at the Hertz rental so he can watch out for it. We tried calling him 3-4 times and it kept going to his voicemail which, by the way, was a very unprofessional voice greeting. Finally it showed that the driver was 1.9 miles out and arriving in 5 mins. It was raining so we figured the cause of the slow arrival. As we were watching out for the car, a Ford Fusion driven by John, it suddenly said 4.5 mins away and then the app went back to finding another driver.

Finally another driver, name was Laura driving a Toyota, was en route and showed 13 mins to arrival. In the next 5 or so minute the arrival name kept changing, at one point from 9 mins to 11 mins. I decided to cancel the trip and I had to agree to a cancellation fee. If I had cancelled for some petty reason or no reason at all, I think it is only fair that I pay a cancellation fee. But if it was due to an initially cancelled trip by the Uber driver and then uncertainty in the next Uber driver arriving, I am demanding that Uber refund me the cancellation fee.

Uber author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

Uber Company Information