3.53/5
Based on 1,993 ratings submitted in the last year

1567 Uber Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had a few great experiences and a couple of bad experiences. Worst experience was being picked up in an emergency situation when I needed to get to the hospital to visit someone. I was in a hurry and we were already on the highway when I realized the driver reeked of alcohol and was completely intoxicated, weaving in and out of lanes and could not keep the car between the lanes. The second time with Uber that was bad was when the driver made a couple of stops along the way taking me to my destination. These stops were in a shady part of town and I was scared to death.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I’ve never used Lyft before, and the only cab company is highly ineffective. Uber, oddly enough, has attracted highly qualified, a very polite, drivers who drive Uber to earn extra money. I enjoy that scheduling a ride is simple through a smartphone application. Once Uber detects the local drivers, via GPS, it directs the closest driver who’s available and provides an estimated time to wait, and an estimated time a arrival to your destination. Uber also allows users to estimate the cost of rides in advance. Also, Uber allows the rider to tip directly from the application and also rate the driver. I’ve never had an issue with any Uber driver I’ve used. It’s more uncommon for me now, but every so often I do use Uber.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've never had a negative experience with Uber. It was the one I downloaded first while in college and the one I've continue to use these past 3 or so years. Some experiences have been better than others but in my opinion the drivers probably have had a worse experience. The rides I've enjoyed the most were the ones when myself and the driver have respected each other's privacy, acted courteously and professional. I have witnessed people trash and throw up all over a driver's car, and that's not alright. I think the thing that has begun to creep into the way I view Uber is all of its negative publicity. Why would I support an enterprise that I don't agree with? It's not like I am dependent on Uber. I can use other ridesharing apps, I can use a traditional taxi, I can even use public transportation. Despite all of this, I still use Uber but that might not always be the case.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have always been skeptical about rideshare services because of the news reports of assaults and robberies. I used this company for the first time earlier this year during a trip for a conference in Las Vegas. My first ride was excellent and was completed without a problem. My second ride was a little scary. I requested a ride but then my phone died. I was with a friend. While I was trying to recharge my phone, my friend came to me to tell me that our ride had arrived As we got in the car, I had an uneasy feeling. I started asking the driver "who" he was there to pick up and if he knew where we were going. He never gave me a straight answer and my friend had already told him where we were going.

My suspicions were confirmed when the driver rolled down his window to yell out to a group of women who appeared to be streetwalkers. Also, when we arrived at our hotel, he quoted a price higher than the Uber app quoted. I was subsequently charged a "missed ride" fee by Uber because their showed to get us after we had left with the "imposter". I explained what happened to the customer service rep and they kindly changed their fee to a credit towards my next ride.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have used Uber several times and so far I am very happy with the company and how easy it's to set up an account. I love that they are constantly upgrading features with their company making customer feel safe about taking Uber. They arrive in a very timely manner and the drivers I have had have all been professional. I love that they add a feature that signals the drivers letting them know who you are when you are standing in a crowded area, it's no fun having your car drive past you and having to wait for them to come back around the block to try and find you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I scheduled Uber to pick us up at 5:55 am to take us to the airport for 8:00 am flight that boards at 7:30 am. No driver showed up. I waited until 6:30 and still no show. There was no way to call or contact Uber to find out if they are coming. I had to call a cab and start from scratch almost missing my boarding time. Never again will I trust Uber to meet my schedule and will never call them for service. Not reliable, no customer service. It was a horrible experience to start my trip depending on them.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Don't expect Uber to show any care/concern for you, even if you are a long-time customer with a disability. My husband and I were both screwed over by customer service over things that were clearly Uber's fault. A couple of weeks ago, my husband was denied a promotion for a week because Uber ADMITTED that there is a lag in their system, and it didn't update in time for him to take advantage of the promotion. Even though customer service admitted it, they refused to credit him in any way and just said too bad!

Same thing with me. I just had an issue with Uber Eats where part of my order literally disappeared during placement, and I wasted a half-off promotion on 2 little sides of ranch dressing. After placing the 2nd order to get the rest of my food that disappeared, I called customer service to see about getting reimbursed, and they basically said too bad!! They are so greedy, and they have no intention of helping their customers. Too bad for them that they are not the only people in town. My husband and I plan on canceling our accounts and switching to Lyft and Postmates from now on. SCREW YOU UBER, JUST LIKE YOU SCREW EVERYONE ELSE!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

1 hour ago I sent set for an Uber and the driver said he was outside. I was standing outside my job and he wasn't there. Then he said for me to walk to 202nd street when I was on 188 street. Really Dude?! I didn't order an uber pool. So he lied about being at the requested address and charged me 5.00. So then I sent for another uber and he said he was outside. Mind you I’m standing outside my job and he's not there so I’m trying to find out where he is and he canceled and charged me 5.00. So 10.00 spent and no uber yet. I took the city bus home. Is uber scamming us? Their drivers need to show proof they’re at the requested address before they charge us.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

We ordered an Uber to take my 2 year old to the doctors because he was sick. We ordered an Uber. Waited under a tree trying not to get wet as it was pouring outside, windy, and freezing cold. The driver Luis ** passed by us while we were huddled under a tree and drove 2 blocks down the street. When my husband explained we have a baby and he needs to come back he told us no. He wanted us to walk 2 blocks in a thunderstorm, rain pouring down the streets because he didn’t want to turn around. Uber is charging us a cancellation fee for the driver.... HE DIDN'T DO HIS JOB!!! I’ve requested a refund back but they still haven’t sent it. It’s not the money I care about. It’s the principle that this driver Luis ** does NOT deserve money for a service he didn’t do.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Used Uber 3 times today. 1st ride was fine and picked up quickly and arrived as planned. 2nd ride the driver did not find me and cancelled on me even after calling to clarify my located. 3rd ride waited for 2 drivers that cancelled on me after waiting even long than the projected time to arrive. After waiting the projected for a 3rd driver who was not close to arriving at my located, I cancelled the driver and was charged a $5 fee. Since I am unable to rely on the Uber service, I will be cancelling my Uber account and use a taxi.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs