3.24/5
Based on 1,350 ratings submitted in the last year

1520 Uber Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had a few great experiences and a couple of bad experiences. Worst experience was being picked up in an emergency situation when I needed to get to the hospital to visit someone. I was in a hurry and we were already on the highway when I realized the driver reeked of alcohol and was completely intoxicated, weaving in and out of lanes and could not keep the car between the lanes. The second time with Uber that was bad was when the driver made a couple of stops along the way taking me to my destination. These stops were in a shady part of town and I was scared to death.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I’ve never used Lyft before, and the only cab company is highly ineffective. Uber, oddly enough, has attracted highly qualified, a very polite, drivers who drive Uber to earn extra money. I enjoy that scheduling a ride is simple through a smartphone application. Once Uber detects the local drivers, via GPS, it directs the closest driver who’s available and provides an estimated time to wait, and an estimated time a arrival to your destination. Uber also allows users to estimate the cost of rides in advance. Also, Uber allows the rider to tip directly from the application and also rate the driver. I’ve never had an issue with any Uber driver I’ve used. It’s more uncommon for me now, but every so often I do use Uber.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've never had a negative experience with Uber. It was the one I downloaded first while in college and the one I've continue to use these past 3 or so years. Some experiences have been better than others but in my opinion the drivers probably have had a worse experience. The rides I've enjoyed the most were the ones when myself and the driver have respected each other's privacy, acted courteously and professional. I have witnessed people trash and throw up all over a driver's car, and that's not alright. I think the thing that has begun to creep into the way I view Uber is all of its negative publicity. Why would I support an enterprise that I don't agree with? It's not like I am dependent on Uber. I can use other ridesharing apps, I can use a traditional taxi, I can even use public transportation. Despite all of this, I still use Uber but that might not always be the case.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have always been skeptical about rideshare services because of the news reports of assaults and robberies. I used this company for the first time earlier this year during a trip for a conference in Las Vegas. My first ride was excellent and was completed without a problem. My second ride was a little scary. I requested a ride but then my phone died. I was with a friend. While I was trying to recharge my phone, my friend came to me to tell me that our ride had arrived As we got in the car, I had an uneasy feeling. I started asking the driver "who" he was there to pick up and if he knew where we were going. He never gave me a straight answer and my friend had already told him where we were going.

My suspicions were confirmed when the driver rolled down his window to yell out to a group of women who appeared to be streetwalkers. Also, when we arrived at our hotel, he quoted a price higher than the Uber app quoted. I was subsequently charged a "missed ride" fee by Uber because their showed to get us after we had left with the "imposter". I explained what happened to the customer service rep and they kindly changed their fee to a credit towards my next ride.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have used Uber several times and so far I am very happy with the company and how easy it's to set up an account. I love that they are constantly upgrading features with their company making customer feel safe about taking Uber. They arrive in a very timely manner and the drivers I have had have all been professional. I love that they add a feature that signals the drivers letting them know who you are when you are standing in a crowded area, it's no fun having your car drive past you and having to wait for them to come back around the block to try and find you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: June 19, 2019

2 fraudulent trips on bank acct. Called Uber. Support only available thru app. I don't do data. Went to website. First time ever. My email was already in use. Used forgot password option 3 times. They sent LINK to reset password. I used it. Then a 4 digit code was required to complete password change. There was NO code in ANY of my emails from them. Can't sign in. Can't try to get my money back from the fraud. Bank still to investigate, but they had advised me to call Uber about it in case their investigation (claim) provided no results for me. WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

Original review: June 19, 2019

I take pride in driving, that is why I am quitting today. During drive time I may pick up a lawyer, a wink, a prostitute or kids that need a diaper change or a random person who doesn't bath. My cars are cleaned 5 times a day and I carry spray. So for a guest in my car to say I need deodorizer that's rude. If I am driving through a green light and it turns yellow one cannot stop in the middle of the street. There is a reason a passenger doesn't have a car. Uber never asks the driver about the passenger reports, so I am quitting. I will never give one of these passengers a ride anywhere in my car. Uber cheats drivers daily, they only hire Asian customer service reps, and the guy who works at the San Bernardino green light is a huge ** who wears a sweater and basketball shorts. If you do not drive 12 hours the dispatch punishes drivers with 2.00 fares for up to six hours. That's why they are being sued for unfair practices.

Original review: June 18, 2019

My first experience did not go well. I’m in Waikiki and needed a ride from a hotel to a restaurant for a scheduled luncheon. The app worked well and the driver was to arrive in 3 minutes. There were pick-up time adjustments as the 3 minutes passed and 15 minutes elapsed. We are now late for the luncheon when a text is received from the driver that he cancelled our ride. A new Uber request is sent and a driver dispatched with a, "be there in 3 minutes." No Uber after 6 minutes; however, the driver telephoned to indicate she was lost but should arrive soon. We stayed in touch by phone discussing her locations location as updates were provide. The car finally arrived and on our way to the luncheon arriving 50 minutes late. My return to the hotel from the restaurant went well.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I booked an Uber ride and the driver immediately accepted the trip. The app showed me that the driver is very close to my starting point, but I could not find him anywhere. Then within seconds I received a notification saying that I am in the trip and will arrive at my destination soon. But I was still waiting at my starting point waiting for the driver to arrive. I wrote to the driving asking him where he is. No reply, and I could see him moving towards my destination.

I had to cancel my trip. Uber charged me a cancellation fee. When I reviewed the fare and claimed it back, Uber refused to refund the fee and replied saying that it is against their standards. I mean seriously? What is their standard? To charge customers without giving them rides? It is not about the few dollars of cancellation charges, but it is about how they treat their customers. I will now try to avoid this service at any cost.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Apparently, it must be an easy way for Drivers (and Uber) in the Miami, Florida area to make a quick buck without working, as I was hit with not one, not two, not three, but SEVEN bogus charges within the span of 2 weeks. The game apparently works like this: you request a ride, the driver accepts the ride request, the driver gets near the pickup spot, cancels the request, charges your card for the cancellation (hoping you never notice the charge), then goes on to his/her next victim in the area.

When I attempted to contact the Uber Company, I got a back-n-forth debate about the issue, and after my much persistence (for days), they offered to issue a credit for future rides, {But I DON'T WANT a credit with crooks} - I want the money that was Unlawfully Taken Out of My Account to be placed back into my account, but guess who won? Uber Wins Again!...CROOKS, THIEVES, LYING DRIVERS, SUBTLE TACTICS BY COMPANY BACKING UP THEIR CROOKED DRIVERS.

Original review: June 16, 2019

The two drivers in Chicago left because they did not come to the pick up area. They went to the wrong street both times. We waited for 45 minutes and they charge us $5 both times for not being there. Uber is a great concept but have horrible drivers. This is the last time I ever use Uber again.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I am a long standing rider with Uber, had better and worse experiences, but recently I was shocked by them. I rode with my mom and my mom opened a bottle of club soda, basically water with gas in it, and it spilled a bit. She apologized and cleaned it, but it is water after all. When you step into a car from the rain, you bring water in... We were charged with 80$(!!) cleaning fee. I sent them pictures of what they called the “mess” along with pictures the bottle in question. They still insisted on charging 20$ fee for cleaning water... And here I thought water IS a cleaning agent and not something to be cleaned.

Original review: June 13, 2019

So, it had been a while since I visited New York City. At LaGuardia Airport I wanted a cab to get to my destination in Brooklyn and the Yellow Cab drivers refused to take me. I had truly forgotten how racist the Yellow cab drivers were in NYC. BUT! Thank GOODNESS for Uber! Downloaded the app, got my ride and used Uber my entire stay in NYC. TO HELL WITH THE YELLOW CABS! UBER IS THE GREATEST!

Original review: June 12, 2019

I am a senior citizen and I tried to sign up for Uber. I went to the website to create an account. I supplied my name, an email address, a cell phone # and password. Afterward, I realized I had not used the correct email address. Thus began a vicious cycle. When I tried to change the email address, it said the phone # I provided was already in use. It kept asking me to send a screenshot of my phone. I have no idea how or what that entails. I could not find a phone # or customer service agent. There was nowhere to go to complete the transaction. I ended up going to GogoGrandparent through Lyft, but I would prefer Uber.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I called for a ride. A woman jumped in the car and they drove off despite me showing him that it was me who called. I was then charged for the ride. I complained and the fare was refunded. I was also charged a flat fee of $6.95, which they refuse to refund. Why would I be charged when it was the driver's error?! They have ignored my emails of course. I will NEVER use Uber again! I'll stick with cabs or Lyft.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I was transported by Uber a few times by the VA. Sometimes they were on time, sometimes not. I only had one bad experience with them, and was a rude driver. He didn't seem to want to take me at all. I'm sure the VA paid good money to transport me, but he was just real unfriendly.

Original review: June 5, 2019

At late night hour Uber driver after accepting my trip drops me midway in a deserted parking and threatened me as my trip was booked on online payment and he wanted cash. The follow ups with Uber and their responses have been appalling. On asking for driver contact details for registering a Police complaint they are denying it on account of privacy issue and sharing the car’s name plate, an Information that I am sharing in my every conversation and complaint. As a company #Uber is more concerned about protecting the interests of their Driver Partner but not keen in safeguarding the safety of their Customer.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I requested an Uber as I usually do and the trip went very good. As soon as I reached my destination, a friend opened the door for me to help me with my Bags. I always look back to see if I forget anything, and I didn’t, and my friend didn’t see anything wrong with the seats as well. The next day I received an email stating that they are charging me for a cleaning fee of 80 Dollars. There was nothing wrong with the backseats. I tried contacting Uber support but it was worthless. Nobody answers via text and they don’t have any customer service number. After this horrible experience I don’t trust this company anymore. I will no longer be using uber services for their lack of professionalism, and the accountability of your lousy driver.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I usually have good experiences with Uber but this one driver charged us for a cleaning fee, his vehicle was already a mess to begin with. Not sure why Uber doesn’t do anything to protect consumers about these kinds of charges. We didn’t bring anything with us or did we have any food or any accidents in the vehicle.

Original review: June 2, 2019

My husband and I just got back from a walk home after never being picked up by our Uber driver. She ignored our calls and shortly after canceled our ride and we got charged. This is not the first time this has happened to us since moving to Orlando. We have been putting two and two together with the Orlando area and Uber drivers. We have discovered that people put in for rides, rides show up close by but never pick you up and then either, you cancel or they cancel, either way you get charged! What?! This is crazy, we have used Uber for years and this is unexceptionable. We will not waste our money on a company that doesn’t regulate their employees to pick up people or have any record of them ignoring calls. I guess it’s time to try a new company like Lyft. Change needs to happen in Orlando, I am not the only one with concerns.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I used to absolutely love Uber and took daily trips to and from but I swear this year both Uber and Lyft's prices have skyrocket. Even riding pool has gone up tremendously. It's crazy that people have now decided to pay co workers weekly to carpool with them rather than get an Uber. More people are going to go back to trains and buses in order to save money to get to and from work. Either that, or go ahead and get a car because you'll end up paying a car payment anyway riding daily with this company if not more.

I knew after while, they would get greedy and forget about making prices cheaper for customers to get around. Prices have become very deceptive. You think your carpooling for $10 or $11 dollars as the price displays, then when you get your ride receipt it's $2 or $3 more. For that, you might as well had took a regular ride. I hope they are prepared to lose many more customers. People are going to stop riding daily and just use them when they just have no choice. SMH.

Original review: May 29, 2019

An Uber driver was parked in a van with his door open waiting for a customer to come out. My son asked this driver to call 911 because there was a girl running around trying to stab him and his friends. This driver refused to call 911. Then this girl and a guy with a hoody on came up to my son and the guy stabbed my son in the neck and ran off. This Uber driver was still sitting there when this occurred. My son was on the ground holding his neck and blood was rushing out and he again asked your driver to please call 911. This Uber driver once again refused.

His passenger came out stepped over my son and this Uber driver drove off and left my son to bleed to death. What kind of heartless person could do such a thing. He didn't have to get involved, just call for help and be on his way. It's so disgusting that someone could be that heartless and that Uber would employ such a person to represent their company. My son could have died and as I see it this driver would have been responsible. Do we really feel that we are not responsible for each other anymore. Everyone is just out for themselves. This is a very sad realization.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Feedback about the booking fee. Recently Uber started to charge a so-called booking fee, claiming that this is to support one of a sudden safety initiatives. What am I getting from your safety initiatives? Just another trick to charge customers more. Would love to see the list of Uber initiates they currently do for passengers. Also, there is no transparency about the fee. It should be added to the estimated cost of a trip before a customer orders rather than in a sneaky way of adding after the fact. Just very frustrating because such a reputable company like Uber make its customer feel like fools.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Uber steals what little drivers make and puts the money in their fat pockets. Doesn’t even come close to making minimum wage. Uber is too busy stealing from drivers while reducing their pairing. They control your earnings and steal 40% waste of time, money and gas. You’ll drive around more looking for trips than you would actually driving passenger. If you complain Uber retaliates. Uber has made numerous changes to drivers earnings while they collect all the profit including the pools that should count multiple passengers towards your quest. Instead only counts as one trip. You make less than minimum wage and isn’t even worth carpooling to work. Drivers are going on strike for a reason because Uber steals from them. Waiting two hours for a passenger nothing. It’s not even worth it carpooling to work.

While waiting for a passenger at the college. A different driver pulls up and picks up a passenger as I continue waiting. This app is terrible. I’m sitting in front of a passenger waiting for their Uber right now. Talk about wage theft. Uber deliberately spreads out your trips reducing your earnings. Uber steals money from drivers and puts the money in their fat pockets. Just drove by 20 minutes north, finally get paired only to travel 20 minutes south.

An FTC report Raiser LLC/Uber has changed their quest policy to reduce driver earnings by wage theft. They used to allow Uber pool to count multiple passengers towards our quest. They now removed this feature and only count one trip towards the quest regardless of the amount of Uber passengers that go in and out if the vehicle during their “trips”. If a driver does not complete the quest, Uber collects the money. Scam. Funny how this continues to get worse after Kalanick steps down from CEO. Meanwhile they pretend to make changes for the better.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Uber has been nothing but a headache since I started working for them. I take a 1 hour drive and they take the money away from me saying that I picked up the wrong person from a specific household to a business. Please tell me what the likelihood of me picking up someone from a house and go in one hour away to a business and we picking up the wrong person is.... Oh you say it makes no damn sense, yeah you're right. Smfh. Uber takes no time whatsoever to do any sort of investigation not even an email to find out anything at all from the driver. They just send an email saying that they took your money and you wasted your time. This is not the only nonsense that I have had to deal with. A customer broke the handle of my car and there was a huge run around with handling that. I will no longer be driving with this unprofessional company and I will be taking legal action.

Original review: May 25, 2019

My friend referred me to open an Uber account, and I received a C$10 promotional discount. I took Uber from Pearson Airport T1 to Dufferin and Steeles area on May 19. The upfront price was C$30.78, the final price was C$37.66, and I took screenshots of both. I wrote to Uber and attached the two screenshot pictures. I was advised by Uber that there is a C$2.75 for booking Fee, and C$4.50 for Airport Surcharge, and Uber replied as follow: "The estimated amount of the toll or surcharge is included in your upfront price before taking a trip. On this trip, your actual route included roads with tolls or surcharges that were not accounted for in your predicted route and your upfront price was adjusted."

In essence, Uber acknowledged that the upfront price should have included both of these charges but did not. The final amount charged to my credit card was C$27.66 after applying the C$10 promotional discount. Uber's final reply was there will be NO Adjustment. There was an offer (upfront Price) and there was an acceptance, and it constitutes a Legal Contract, but Uber did not seem to recognize that. So I would say Uber upfront price is not accurate.

Original review: May 24, 2019

If I could rate this experience any lower, I would. This was my first and last trip with Uber. My credit card was charged $33.60 for the trip to my destination, and $113.62 for the return trip. I contacted Uber and they would not refund the overcharge. This is certainly no way to run a business and no way to treat their customers. Terrible experience. Next time I will call a cab. Attached are photos of my receipts.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I moved back to Huntsville, Alabama in May of 2019. I had left in Feb, 2019, and moved to Florida and then Dallas, Texas. I had tried "Uber" in Florida and Texas and did pretty well. When I returned to Alabama, I uploaded all of my new driving requirement documents and was held up on one particular document, the 20 point inspection. I went to a certified mechanic and paid for the inspection and my 2017 Camry passed with flying colors. "Uber" denied it. I was shocked.

I went back and forth with "Uber" and could not get any justification. I ended up having to go online and use a interactive, video chat mechanic which is available for inspections for "Uber" and "Lyft" drivers. of course, the fee is $25.00, but works. My car passed again. I uploaded and sent inspection sheet to "Uber" and finally got approved to drive. The main complaint is as follows; I went online with "Uber" and received only 3 calls all day. "Uber" only paid me for 2 trips, the 1st trip was $4.07, the 2nd trip was $11.43 and the 3rd trip was $22.77. I called "Uber" and explained that I did not get paid for the 3rd trip, which was the biggest fair of the day. They tried to say that there was an outage in the area??? Very strange considering the first 2 trips were fine and documented and in my account.

I ended up calling "Uber" 7 times trying to get my money and it was just the runaround. One "Uber" support guy said he was going to send me an email with steps to follow to help this issue resolve itself, he never did. Another tech support girl said the amount was less and gave a different amount. Another tech support girl gave me a higher trip fair amount and said I have to wait 48 hours to get my money. I got a different story every time with a different excuse each time. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they told me each time that he was busy on another line?

I explained how slow "Uber" was in Huntsville, Alabama and that they only gave me 3 calls all day and that I needed to get paid, especially after I completed all trips and that $22.77 amount was much needed. It was the biggest fair out of the 3 calls in 8 hours of being online with "Uber". I went on my "Uber" dashboard to check the status and dashboard did not even show my 3rd trip completed and on my trip detail page, it did show the trip completed.? I have had many issues with the "Uber" app and have to constantly uninstall and reinstall the app.

Bottom line is, Uber still has not paid me the $22.77 trip fair that was completed. I just want my money. Uber won't pay me. For the record, the Huntsville, Alabama is a terrible market for "Uber". I would get 13 calls a day in Florida and Texas and make $150.00 a day. But Huntsville, Alabama you get only 3 calls in 8 hours and make $37.00. Which actually, you don't even get that amount because "Uber" won't pay you. They will say there is an outage in your area???? Here it is another new day and "Uber" still has not paid me. So for yesterday, doing "Uber", I made $15.50. I am a 5 star, high rated driver with plenty of wonderful compliments and achievements. I can't believe I am getting treated like this. I am reporting to the BBB and social media. So beware, "Uber" you are crooks.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Scheduled a ride to the Tampa Airport. Driver never showed up with no notice. Tried to book a ride again but web site couldn’t or wouldn’t supply a ride. Ended up having to book a regular taxi. Won’t count on Uber again!

Original review: May 23, 2019

I use Uber when I miss the bus after work sometimes. The last two times it says a reasonable price usually about 8-10 dollars. Then after booking the ride and confirming the flash new price which has been 13-14 dollars. Then it asks if I want to pay 25 dollars to get to pay 9.99 for the ride instead of the 13-14 dollar price. This has happened 3 times now. I'm sorry but I'm not gonna pay 25 bucks so that I can pay another 10 for the ride home. That's ridiculous.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs