1.98/5

1120 Uber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

A short while ago my social media was hacked, and it expanded into many of my accounts (Uber being one of them). I then went on to delete my account but Uber has a policy of leaving the account open for 30 days after for possible reactivation. This led to the hacker reopening my account and using my credit card. I have since had to change all my cards. After trying to find a number to call (which they do not offer for riders) I emailed them to try and get my account deleted immediately. After 3-4 emails back and forth with them all they have done is "refund my money" (which they said was completed, to a card that is no longer valid) and mark my account for deletion in 30 days (allowing that individual to open my account at their leisure). I would not recommend this service to anyone if they value their privacy.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Unfair cancellation fees charged by Uber to customers. Uber is constantly harassing me with wrong cancellation fees for cabs which are getting booked far away from my pickup location where drivers refused to come. So I am charged fees for such situations.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I have been using UberX twice a week, every week since July 2, 2018. On Monday morning I use Uber to go from my house in Mississauga to Pearson Airport, and on Friday early evening I use Uber from Pearson Airport back to my house in Mississauga. Every Monday and Friday exactly at the same time and the same route. Every time Uber charges me different fare, not even two times were the same or even close. Last week they decided to charge me extra money three days after my trip to the airport for unknown and unexplained reason. Uber thinks they can charge you anytime because they have your credit card information. It’s completely a rip off and totally inconsistent charges for the same trips at the same time. I decided to cancel my Uber account and use regular taxis or Lyft; no more Uber anymore.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Uber needs to understand that their cab pooling service is very time consuming for passengers. The drivers go even 1-2 kms off destination route to pick up and drop other pool riders. Kindly understand, this is very time consuming and we don't reach our destination early. Not like the fares are super-low that we have to bear this kind of torturous service. It would be awesome if Uber pool services are far more efficient, in the sense, each following pick up should not be of 5-8 mins of difference in terms of distance. In this way, more people will use pool services and add less to traffic jams. Uber should not just focus on making money but also contribute to lesser vehicles on roads which is very necessary in cities like Bangalore which is overflowing with traffic. Kindly do make an impact by bettering pool services and reducing cab fares.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Today I booked a ride from I.D.A pharmacy. Driver was waiting in a different lane. When I finally found the car and sat in the car. Driver started arguing with me. He said that he is canceling the ride and I need to book another car. If I got get out of the car he will call the cops. He forced us to come out of the car. He came out of the car and was standing at the door until we came out of the car. How can someone cancel the ride and threaten us like this. Drivers get paid because of customers and this is how drivers behave. This was the worst experience as I was waiting 10 mins and he canceled the ride. Driver's name was Sherif and his cab number was ** Ford Focus. Trip was canceled on 20th oct 2018 at 1.28pm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I joined Uber as prospective rider in case of my car failing and placed money into an account that would be drawn from for each event until expended. I then tried to delete my subscription/acct as an experiment and was told no money would be returned nor sent to a new account once I deleted existing acct.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

They screwed me, and won't pay me for the rides I did. They said this week and still nothing so I'm taking Uber to court. They will pay me any way or another. You're not getting away with this Uber! I will get my money Uber. Remember Rhonda ** Uber! Cause you're gonna pay me!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This is the first time I use Uber. I had no clue on how to use the app. Made the mistake of ordering service hours before I needed it. Uber sent two drivers. I was able to get the first before she got to my house and cancel without being charged. The second driver had no phone so I got charged for a canceling fee because he came to my house. There is no number for customers to call for help. All they have for customers is a frigging automated machine. Never using Uber again!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We ordered an UBER 12 hrs. ahead of time for a trip to the airport. We were ready, packed and just waiting for the scheduled pickup (which UBER texted). Ten minutes before our scheduled pickup we received a text stating that they were canceling due to our VISA card being expired. We DO NOT travel with expired credit cards. We did check our card and we had TWO years before expiration. Since UBER canceled, I started from scratched, ordered an UBER with the same card and it was processed (our driver was great, not his fault). We did make our flight but was very fast paced and very stressful. Maybe we need to order an UBER 24/48 hrs. ahead of time and if UBER needs to cancel for whatever reason, maybe they will give us the courtesy to text us with sufficient time.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Usually I travel to DFW airport daily for my job. Yesterday I rented Uber just as I do everyday. My driver was Glorelys. I am deliberately writing this review in order to educate consumers and since Uber has monopoly is U.S. and they feel nobody or no review can harm their reputation. This, Glorelys was new immigrant from Venezuela. I just don't want to discriminate, but because of my experience I asked her when did she moved to U.S.? She didn't know a single word of English. She was talking in Spanish with me and authorities at the airport. Though I was guiding her on right path, she didn't heed my advice since she didn't understand English. She roamed around airport for 1 hour and Uber charged me $12 more than usual charge. I was late for my job. Instead of giving me refund, it charged more for driver's fault.

It's really horrible and loot. I don't know where should I report this incidence? With Fed or state govt? Or any other authority? I don't know how Uber recruit such people who don't know/understand English and are not familiar how to use GPS? Finally I started GPS on my mobile and handed over it to her. She fallen my mobile and broke the glass. Actually I owe refund for this too! This is really scam, fraud and loot. And nobody is accountable in this country!!! Are we the most advanced nation when citizen is looted like this? I wish to warn and alert all consumers about highly unprofessional attitude of Uber.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

After many attempts explaining my situation, it became apparent that Uber has among the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Many contacts with Uber regarding this issue, here was my final attempt to receive fairness from this company. Actually my final attempt was today, Oct. 15, 2018 where I was advised that my claim is too old, their final excuse to keep my money. I began this process within a week of the trip. Here's my story...

On April 20th I arrived at Miami International Airport (MIA) after a trip. I opened my Uber app and confirmed the door at Arrivals where I should be picked up. The app did not ask me my destination nor did it indicate my destination to me. My driver arrived and I realized that he thought I wanted to go to Sarasota/Bradenton Int'l Airport, which I did not and told him I wanted to go home nearby.

The driver then gave me his other phone and asked me to enter the address into the navigational app, which I did. The driver then drove me to my home at the Four Ambassadors on Brickell Bay Drive in Miami. Subsequently, I received an email that erroneously stated my trip was over 2 hours long and 138 miles. I was billed over $174 for a trip that usually costs around $20. The app seems to have saved my previous destination that I entered a week earlier.

One week earlier I was visiting the Sarasota area and considered using Uber to go to the airport so I opened up the Uber app and entered my desired location but decided not to use the Uber service for that trip. The app quoted me a price of about $40 for that trip that I did not take. I exited the Uber app as usual. Now I'm aware that this overcharge is a result of entering a location previously but not using the Uber service. I was not quoted a price for my trip from MIA to my home and I was unaware of the problem with the app.

I wonder if my driver was aware of this situation and exploited my ignorance. Please help me resolve this issue. I am not a wealthy person and this overcharge is causing me to have problems paying my other bills. Thank you for your help. Today, I believe the driver was aware that I'd be overcharged and he'd have a good night at my expense. I also believe that Uber never intended to understand the situation nor refund my money should their driver be at fault. I've discontinued my relationship with Uber shortly after this trip when it became apparent that their business practices are not acceptable. Tell a friend...

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I ordered an Uber and the driver was very nice so I tipped him atter. I kept getting error messages while trying to tip saying that it wasn't going through. I waited a few minutes, tried again, and success. The next day I checked my bank account and saw that I was charged the tip twice. I messaged customer service and they credited the money to my Uber account. I wanted a refund because I rarely use Uber and I just wanted my money because I only authorized a one time tip. After many back and forth messages they still refused to refund my money. I will never use Uber again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I took Uber like I have many, many times before. I was taking my dog to the groomer and he was on my lap. He met left my lap and I carried him out the car. Needless to say he never made any mess. A day later I received notice from Uber that they had charged $150 dollar cleaning fee plus the regular fee. I emailed them and they sent me fraudulent pictures the driver had sent them saying the dog urinated on his rug. The picture was clearly the front seats of the car and I was in the back seat. Uber still said they believed their driver and would not refund me the money.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Booked 22 hours in advance no one showed up. Bad as that was, support and help department said: "We're sorry to hear that your driver canceled your trip and that this delayed getting you to your destination. I can confirm that no cancellation fee was charged on this trip request. If you were referring to a different trip, please let us know." Well that was nice of them. Then (obviously a form letter since I did not pay anything): "We understand your concern. We know this is not the news you were hoping to hear, but we will not be able to refund this fare due to it not being within our standards. Thank you." So, Uber has no policy if no one shows up after an advance booking? Won't be doing that again. Lyft next time.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

First and foremost there is no phone number to contact Uber. Is that legal? Second of all, I have used Uber about 20 times. Great idea but what they do not disclose is that on top of the charge that you pay when you schedule a ride they add an additional charge usually under a dollar. For WHAT? Example: I just scheduled two rides, both for a friend about 30 minutes apart. The first ride was 14.67, the second ride was 15.37. I checked my account and they charged me .40 for no apparent reason and .12 for the second ride. They do not tell you what it is for but it is an unauthorized withdrawal. Pass this information on. How long will customers allow ourselves to be ripped off? It shows how absolutely lazy we have all become to even allow these companies to continue to rob us.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Well, I went to Lax from end of the el toro road which it was 54 miles and 1 hour and 8 minutes. When I called Uber to adjust the trip at the first he doesn't accept that and he said everything calculate right but when I prove that I am right he said, "Yes you are right" and instead of 50.17mile * 0.87per = 43.45$ 62.32 time * 0.1125= 7.01$. And also I had long pick up fee of 5.06$. So 43.45$+7.01$+5.06=(55.72$). But when they make a mistake to calculate the ride and also the support accept that on the recording line. 53.80$Miles * 0.87$ = 46.806 $ 68 minutes * 0.1125$ = 7.65 $. And also I had long pick up fee of 5.06 $. So 46.806$ *+ 7.65$ + 5.06$ =59.516 $.

Until now everything was ok. He accept everything and but suddenly he turned to me and said it’s the 55.72$ is right and I said, "I just prove that to you. How can you say that" and he said, "Because it was an service fee of 18.58$ and it was an booking fee of 2.40$ and if I deduct them from that money" and... I said, "Hey buddy why you explaining all these to me?" I don’t want to know and I don’t care how much Uber charging the customer, Uber can charge 100$ for just 3 mile, I can’t say why did you give me for example 3$ and took 97$ for yourself.

They will turn around and tell me, "Your fare with us calculate on the mile+time and 3$ for this ride is ok," basically they says very polite it’s not your business. So base on this I told the guy, "Hey buddy I don’t care how much you gonna charge the customer" and I don’t want to know and he get very aggressive to me and tried attack me so I get angry and mention that I did my part very well and my part was drive the passenger to the destination and I did but he said, "Why did you said I don’t care" and constantly repeating me on very aggressive and attacking way and shouting on me, "Why did you said I don’t care?"

So because the argument was getting very bad I said, "You know what what’s your name" and he said John and I am absolutely sure his name is not John. I spoke to this guy maybe 100 times and he lie to me on the recorded line and it is shameful for the company like Uber and I said, "You lie to me. Your name is not John" and... at the end he refuse to give his name to me and I said, "I want to speak with your supervisor" and he get the 1000 different excuses to not pass the phone to his supervisor and he said they are very busy and I said, "No problem. I will stay on the line" and he start laugh to me and told me, "Ok stay in the line" and make joke on me and laugh on me and put me on the hold for ampler 51 minutes and every 10 minutes he come back and telling me, "Hello are you there? Are you there?!" And when I was answering, "Yes I am" he laugh again and put me on the hold again.

After almost 51 minutes being on the hold he hang up the phone on me and I have all these recorded and he thought he is very smart but after all these years we know how we should act on situation like this. Now I am going to give them a call back and ask for the supervisor to speak with about this guy, he is most nastiest and rudest person in Uber support team, I spoke with him so many times and I always had problem with him. He done all these by perps to me and I believe he know me and he just wants to revenge me.

I haven't wants anything extra. I just wants my money that I worked for and I absolutely deserve that money. I won’t leave this man do whatever he want, I record everything live on the camera and I can put them in the YouTube to everybody. This guy break my heart, make me very upset, I feel like I have depression now, he accused me and I feel I am the guilty person and I want to die right now. I want to kill myself. If within next few hours Uber doesn't take any action against this guy I will put the all videos on the Youtube and speak with solicitor about this situation.

I hope somebody take any action cos because of just one person all the Uber support team gonna get blame and because of just one person all the reputation of the company is gonna be in danger. You know what’s funny? The guy doesn't know I am capturing all the line and he was taking joke and laugh at me. That’s painful, that’s very nasty. I can’t forget other.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I ordered an UBER by entering the facility name on Monday. There was no issue with arriving time and price, then I confirmed it. However when I arrived there, it was not the one I wanted to go to. I definitely entered the correct facility name and the name of building I arrived was not even same name as I entered. Also I had to add the correct address by myself and they charged me again. I’m sure that the address UBER programmed into their system was wrong and they took me to the wrong place (driver was nice).

When I complained my issue on online, they don’t quite understand what I’m saying. So I asked them to provide the phone number to talk representative, but they said they don’t provide phone service (I think this is the worst thing). So I still tried to send the message them simply couple of times and eventually they said they will not be able to refund due to it is not their standard. I’ve still not understood why I had to be charged for their error. Even if I can not be get refund, I believe I should be at least get a credit for ride. This is what I sent them. Since I sent this message, it has been for 34 hours so far. And even though I’m still trying to contact them, they haven’t replied me yet and taken action. I’ve never seen such a bad customer service in my life.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Uber has made transportation much easier, however, it is overrated and expensive. Uber only cares about $ and drivers but does not care about customers at all. First there is not a phone number to reach if you ever encounter any kinds of problems. Only 10% of drivers are actually nice and professional. Uber taking your money when the driver cancels the ride is just ridiculous. Uber should not cut $$ from your account even if you cancel the ride. If our ride cancellations affects the drivers, then Uber should be able to solve that issue for drivers. Customers should not be paying even for a single penny, if they don’t use the ride.

Uber drivers can’t wait for you even for 5 minutes, however, customers are required to wait minimum 5 minutes for every ride. Most rides are delayed as well. Next, Uber driver never treats us well and makes you pay extra if you have to go a little extra. If you slam a door or whatever the ** it is, they underrate you. Uber has no guarantee about your safety. The pool is usually in 2 opposite directions so I don’t know how we are supposed to even call it a pool. Uber should strongly think about their customer service as strong as Amazon and Target.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

On Sunday I booked an Uber from Ghatkopar to Vasai at 9 pm. The Uber driver's name was Anand, white wagon R. He arrived on time. When he arrived he asked me where the drop was. I told him it was Vasai so he said he couldn’t travel that far because he stays in Panvel and needs to go home. I asked him why did he take the booking then he said he didn’t know the drop location. Then I was stern that I will not cancel the booking so he said that someone was unwell at his home so he had to go urgently (I know he was lying).

He then cancelled the booking on his own so I started arguing with him. He asked me how much fare was it showing to Vasai. I told him it’s showing 1000rs so he said ok. "Don’t book another Uber. I will drop you to Vasai in 1200rs." I got so angry on him for this... Some time back he wanted to go home because someone was unwell in his house and suddenly he was ready to drop me and demanding me for 1200rs. Horrible man. Please don’t take his bookings guys. His name is Anand and he has a white Wagon R. I don’t very well remember the number of his car but it had ** digit in it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Uber drivers made me feel unsafe. I had one Uber driver harass me and kept calling after the fact I cancelled the ride because he had me waiting over half an hour and then called said he drove to wrong place. Most drivers are rude and somehow there's always an issue with the app, then they don't have customer service or a number where someone can be reached if there is an issue. And when I emailed Uber about the driver making me feel unsafe since he kept calling me and harassing me, their only response was to block the driver or call law enforcement. They need to fix the app and thoroughly background check these people they hire!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Worst thing with UBER is that they do not have any REAL TIME SUPPORT. If anything goes wrong you have to fight with the driver and then take out time later on to sit and write a complaint and in reply all you will get are saved templates!!! I had to book and cancel six cabs back to back because driver denied destination and also denied cancelling the trip. And then the funniest thing is after all this UBER blocked from booking any more cab. It's like you go to a shop where the sales guy refuses to sell and then the Owner comes and ask you to leave because you did not buy anything. Is this BUSINESSES or MADNESS?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I had a problem with a driver cancelling and being stranded on the street corner with no ride. I asked support if there was any way to schedule rides so I didn't experience cancellations among other concerns. I got a form letter response saying that the $5.00 I was charged for not getting a ride had been refunded (I already knew that). The email for Uber customer service does not allow for two-way communication. I guess Uber can provide nothing and call it customer service anyway.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I used UBER yesterday for a ride to my home address. After 3 mins in the car, I realized the traffic was too much so I asked the driver to drop me off at the nearest train station instead, which was just 7 minutes away from the spot where he picked me up. My wife booked the UBER thru her phone so I assume the driver would change the drop off location on his phone. An hour later, I receive my Uber receipt for a staggering $60.46!!! I was shocked because according to the receipt, the driver stated that he dropped me off at home which is a lie. I cannot believe they would lie like that and charge me $60.46 for a 7 minute drive. I try contacting Uber four times over this matter but they are not resolving it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

While on vacation in Europe, my wife and I were in an accident in an Uber. It was clearly the Uber driver's fault. Very nice guy, accidents happen. When contacted by Uber they said they would refund our trip, duh. What about the time spent on scene (over an hour), the emotional distress of seeing the other party carted off by ambulance and having been in this traumatic experience. I was just looking for a few credits, not a federal offense. I was told there was no way to determine the amount of compensation for this type of thing. Time to start using Lyft.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I left my iPhone yesterday Oct. 2, 2018 in an Uber. Uber makes it impossible to retrieve item as you can't talk to a live person but must submit via phone (which I left in car) or online only to get a response 24hrs later it's been resolved. I asked for the driver to call me back and got NOTHING. Never ever use Uber again. They exploit their drivers and steal your stuff with no call back. Worst company ever and can't wait for them to fail. All I asked for was a call back from the driver which they promised and never did. Now I have to go back to Vegas without a phone and all my data.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Uber is a total rip-off. They scam drivers every day. You always see premium possible for long pickups but never get them. This means it should be a surge because no drivers are in that area. I have copies of all the premium possible trips and never get premium but charge rider a big premium. My last one was a 2.7 mile trip that took 5 minutes. Had to drive 18 minutes to get there and almost 5.5 miles. The rider paid 14.26. I got 5.43 and that included a 1.70 long pickup! Anyone who says they aren’t screwing drivers is either an idiot or a troll for Uber! That is criminal. I have pics of every one. What rider would pay 14.26 for a 2.7 mile ride that took five minutes??? Had to be surge! I had to drive 18 minutes and 5.5 miles to get to rider.

They also switched to miles driven and time because they know most people will get to destination faster as if 55 mph on Highway you always go 60–65 mph. So they skim from there on millions of rides and also they program longer routes and many times riders tell you to go a different way that is faster and all those trips Uber takes more of the fare. They are a scam company and should be sued for fraudulent practices. I would love to have someone prove they get premium when long pickup! I have done 11 total and have pics of every one and it clearly shows fraudulent practices. Uber Getting paid for surge but not showing it. But obviously the price riders pay is surge! That is ripping off drivers. Disgusting.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I ordered food, and it was supposed to be delivered at 6:55pm. At 7:10 the driver, Tariq, contacted me that he could not found my address (5 min from the restaurant), already on Uber website. I gave him some instructions on how to find it, and he told me I gave the wrong address. Another 10 min and he call again that he was lost. When I try to help him, he told me that he could not waste any more time on my order, because he was losing money every minute. He told me that he was canceling my order. I called the restaurant, reorder the food, and went there to pick up. I was parking on the restaurant when the Uber driver calls again, at 6:40, telling me he was in front my house and I wasn't there to receive my order. I lost it. I told him to feed the food to his dear mother and leave me alone. What a bad experience. I will never order from Uber again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Venmo sent me an email with a code for $10 off an Uber ride as a celebration for being able to use them as a payment method. I applied the code to my account, took a ride, the code didn't apply. I asked Uber support why and they said I had to make sure payment was on Venmo. Alright. I took another ride and made sure Venmo was my payment, still nothing. Contacted Uber support over 7 times and got answers ranging from, "we don't know what ride you're talkkng about", to "select your payment method to apply credit" to "This code expired", "We're unable to refund or credit this ride". Basically, they refuse the email fine print from Venmo and don't care that there was a promo code that was supposed to work on their platform. Very poor service.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was quoted $6.25 for my ride and charged that. Hours after my drop off I received multiple notifications of a charge of $16.14 and $9.87 being charged to my card for my one ride. Yes 3 separate charges for one Uber express pool ride. I immediately filed a complaint which really only wasted my time and pissed me off even more. I was bounced from rep to rep and had to restate the same information over and over and OVER again. The last rep made it seem like she had resolved the issue until today when I saw a pending charge of $16.14 on my company card which is linked to my Uber account for business travel.

The original ride wasn’t a business expense and was charged to my personal card. Now they are committing credit card fraud and stealing money from me and my company. I’ve filed a dispute with them and my bank as well as my company bank. I will NEVER use Uber again in my life. I don’t care if it’s the only way to get into heaven. I’ll happily walk to hell before using their crappy stealing service again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

9/30/2018 Arizona Cardinals game. Request Uber driver, app says driver will arrive in 11 minutes. 30+ minutes go by, driver doesn't show up. I call the driver, he says he is on his way, 2 minutes later, driver cancels on me. Without my permission, Uber says they are finding another driver. Another 30 minutes goes by, driver calls and says he came and didn't see me and left. Said he'd come back. I watch, 2 minutes later that driver cancels on me. I wasted 1 hour in the parking lot waiting for two drivers who cancelled on me.

The second driver charges me 10.88 because Uber claims I cancelled on them. I request a refund and then credit my account instead of refund my credit card. I don't want a credit, I want my money back. There is no way to request a true refund instead of credit. Uber charges what they want and decide how they will give you back money if they deem in necessary. I called Lyft after the 1 hours wasted and a driver was there in 2 minutes and the experience was fantastic. I hate Uber, they stole 10.88 and won't give it back.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs