Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.64/5
Based on 2,796 ratings submitted in the last year

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Uber Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I’m not huge on ride share or using anything that involves giving my bank info to a company. When using Uber for the first time I was very surprised at how competitive the prices were. Getting a ride from the casino was 79$ from a taxi and 36$ from Uber! I was shocked. The drivers are cool and do there best to make sure I was comfortable. The only bad part is the lack of rewards we can get and the discounts are only temporary and they’re given when they want to give add them to our account. And they come with restrictions. They combined it with Uber eats but they don’t offer it in my area which is a disappointment for sure.

I’m very happy though they have Uber gift cards which allows me to not use a bank account and comes handy cause you never know when you could get stranded as we all at some point in our lives. I’ve had no bad experiences so far. Just make sure you grab everything before you leave the car as they really don’t look to see if you left anything behind. I’ve found many things left by prior customers and know how frustrating it can be.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I do not have Uber in the area where I live. But I use it whenever I travel in Mexico and the US. The worst experience I've had, in my 2 years of using Uber, was in San Francisco. I waited 14 minutes for a driver who didn't show up. He somehow canceled and went elsewhere, and I found out the hard way. It was annoying, but didn't cost me anything but my time. The overwhelming majority of times I have used Uber were great. Nice drivers who showed up on time, drove safely and gave great service. Most Uber drivers go above and beyond. They are happy to give travel tips to tourists and help with luggage. I always feel safe with Uber as I have the Uber car's description and license tag, plus a picture of the driver.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 18, 2019

I’ve never used Lyft before, and the only cab company is highly ineffective. Uber, oddly enough, has attracted highly qualified, a very polite, drivers who drive Uber to earn extra money. I enjoy that scheduling a ride is simple through a smartphone application. Once Uber detects the local drivers, via GPS, it directs the closest driver who’s available and provides an estimated time to wait, and an estimated time a arrival to your destination. Uber also allows users to estimate the cost of rides in advance. Also, Uber allows the rider to tip directly from the application and also rate the driver. I’ve never had an issue with any Uber driver I’ve used. It’s more uncommon for me now, but every so often I do use Uber.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've never had a negative experience with Uber. It was the one I downloaded first while in college and the one I've continue to use these past 3 or so years. Some experiences have been better than others but in my opinion the drivers probably have had a worse experience. The rides I've enjoyed the most were the ones when myself and the driver have respected each other's privacy, acted courteously and professional. I have witnessed people trash and throw up all over a driver's car, and that's not alright. I think the thing that has begun to creep into the way I view Uber is all of its negative publicity. Why would I support an enterprise that I don't agree with? It's not like I am dependent on Uber. I can use other ridesharing apps, I can use a traditional taxi, I can even use public transportation. Despite all of this, I still use Uber but that might not always be the case.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have always been skeptical about rideshare services because of the news reports of assaults and robberies. I used this company for the first time earlier this year during a trip for a conference in Las Vegas. My first ride was excellent and was completed without a problem. My second ride was a little scary. I requested a ride but then my phone died. I was with a friend. While I was trying to recharge my phone, my friend came to me to tell me that our ride had arrived As we got in the car, I had an uneasy feeling. I started asking the driver "who" he was there to pick up and if he knew where we were going. He never gave me a straight answer and my friend had already told him where we were going.

My suspicions were confirmed when the driver rolled down his window to yell out to a group of women who appeared to be streetwalkers. Also, when we arrived at our hotel, he quoted a price higher than the Uber app quoted. I was subsequently charged a "missed ride" fee by Uber because their showed to get us after we had left with the "imposter". I explained what happened to the customer service rep and they kindly changed their fee to a credit towards my next ride.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

My husband and I travelled to a city in Mexico this month. The whole trip was great except one Uber trip. We took a single trip from our hotel to the beach around noon time. The trip was very smooth and took around 20 mins. It was supposed to be MXN 210(around 11 USD). A couple of hours later, on the way back to the hotel, we found out our credit card was charged for MXN 744.(38 USD) The driver faked drop off location. He changed a single trip to round trip. But actually, we took another uber back from beach to hotel around 4pm. I reported the problem via uber app. But all required boxes are in Spanish. We used translation app to figure out how to fill out the form and wrote down the details in English, including star point and time, drop off location and time, and more details.

In the evening, I received an email from uber service and asked me to provide all information again, including driver’s name and the amount I paid. And then I did it. The second email from Uber blamed me to change the start and end point. I told them that I didn’t change. We just took a single trip and didn’t book the round trip. I attached trip receipt and asked them to check the record. And then I received another email and told me they adjust my trip cost to MXN 238 and it would reflect on my credit card for 3 to 5 business days. However, I didn’t get the adjustment after 6 business days and asked Uber customer service again. They told me to wait. I was really pissed off and disputed this charge with card company.

Today I tracked uber app and realized that they didn’t correct the wrong trip, instead they adjust the trip I took from beach to the hotel. I emailed Uber and they asked to provide all information again. So I did. I checked online and found out how to get support from uber app. Under “Help” section, all my emails showed under another trip (not the wrong one) What can I say? I already listed all details about this trip, even driver’s name and cost.

I have been with uber since 2014. Before this Mexico trip, all is not bad. It’s the worst experience I’ve ever had with any driver (including Uber and Lyft). It’s awful experience that I’ve ever had with all customer services. If you travel to other cities especially out of the state, you’d better to ask uber drive to finish trip and give you receipt before getting off the car. In that case, the driver can’t fake start or dropping off location. I believe most of uber drivers are good. However, the bad ones not only scam you, but can ruin your trip. I received Uber adjustment (from MXN 744 to 211) for that wrong trip just a minute ago. I have to call credit card to drop disputation tomorrow. Hopefully, you’re lucky than me.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

The trip fare changes by 50% randomly up or down within seconds. They also display a message showing that your estimated fair might change because of poor network. No fare breakup provided after trip is finished. Which is against the law. See you in court.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I wish these rating systems would allow no stars. Unfortunately I have to give (one) just to submit this review. I don’t use Uber that often and the few times that I have it’s a 50/50 experience on the car you get and the person driving between ok service and a train wreck. Recently I used the app to get a car and it seemed the app was having difficulty or I was just not navigating properly and pressing the wrong buttons, who the heck knows but finally I got a car.

Unbeknownst to me after that experience uber started debiting my credit card monthly for something called ride share.. Apparently what ever happened that night I inadvertently signed up for this service. I am a bit older and not app savvy and am sure this has happened to other people as well. With all this technology pop ups and stuff getting slipped in we are bound to make errors.

What gets me is that I finally figured out how to converse with uber and the response was "Sorry we will credit december and the service but not the last 2 months". Now shame on me for not checking my cc account, but to be honest I am pretty well off and have multiple cc accounts am busy like the rest of us and just don’t check them all the time, remember not app / tech savvy lol.

The fact that uber hides behind the technology and plays passive aggressive with by not answering the question that this was a simple mistake really makes me wonder.. “What if“ now the conspiracy theory lol. The uber app is designed to be a bit tricky to navigate for us older folks and we just hit the wrong buttons once in a while and sign up for this ride share, thousands maybe millions of people use uber and maybe like me a small percentage, ahh they don’t check the cc account every month. Well that could be million of dollars for uber ehhh in basically found money ehhhhh? Just saying.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I will never use Uber again. Zero Customer Service! On Oct. 1, 2019, I was double charged on two credit cards for the same ride. I have attempted to resolve it with Uber numerous times, providing my name and number asking for someone to call me. However there is no way to talk to an actual person and in their opinion, all issues can be resolved by simply clicking on the 'Help' button in the app. If that's the case, then why am I here over 2 months later still waiting for my money to be refunded on one of my cards?

If you are lucky enough to get an email response, it will be from some uneducated numbskull with no reading comprehension using a cookie cutter response. If you just need a quick ride, go ahead and use them, but you better pray you never have an issue. I would say they have some of the worst customer service in the industry, but that would be a lie. They have NO customer service!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

It's been a frustrating last few rides with Uber. I am almost always charged double the upfront pricing shown and the last 2 times that was because my driver took a wrong exit on the highway which not only wasted my time but Uber forced me to pay almost double the upfront pricing for no fault of my own. From $32 to the final cost at $64 and they will not even issue a refund. Uber's customer service is the worst- you send them a message explaining your situation and instead of trying to understand what exactly happened, they just send automated messages. It's like dealing with a bunch of morons!! They will not even let me share this feedback on Uber's Facebook page- what a shame!!

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs