1.62/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1263 Uber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

An Uber cancelled on me on Jan 5th. Went to order a ride on Feb 13th to find out from my bank I owed them money. I will not stop till I get my $12.90 back. Then they tell me after 30 days Uber can't do anything. I'm so MAD!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

If I could give them a minus 10 star I would. I have used Uber in many occasions. This was by far the worst and still ongoing problem. I recently was in Denver, took Uber to airport as early morning flight. That was January 7th, I was billed $41.58 plus tip. It was originally a hold on my credit card and a charge several days later. On Feb 2nd I was notified that my Uber receipt was updated. Looked at my credit card statement online and saw an identical charge with identical trip number charged to my account almost a month later. Contacted Uber by the app which went to someone in India that claimed they had a glitch in their system and I wasn’t charged for the trip in Jan 7.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, provided bank copy and they refuse to acknowledge that I was charged twice. Keep saying my bank is responsible for removing hold which is clearly a charge not hold. Now turning it over to my bank and going to change from error in charge to fraud. It’s inconvenient to deal with someone in India by message and no phone for a live person. Because of this incident I am taking my business elsewhere and use Lyft. If you want a billing nightmare DONT USE UBER.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought $75.00 worth of Uber credits I needed to get to work. Tried to log in and it said my password was incorrect, etc... I gave all the relevant info needed to update my account. I can't log in so I had to call my job to let them know I was having transportation issues. This is day 3. I emailed Uber customer support and it just goes into a loop (please send screenshot of phone number you would like to use)...total nightmare. I expect a refund and won't stop until I get one. There is no excuse for what they did. From now on I'll take Lyft.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

On Saturday February 9th me and 3 of my friends were trying to get a ride back to our hotel from a concert. We were canceled on 3 different times and stuck out in the cold because the bar we were at was closing and kicking people out. We downloaded Lyft and got a ride right away. I will NEVER use Uber every again. I would NEVER recommend it to anyone. From here on out I will be riding with Lyft. Thanks for the awful experience! And to top it all off they charged ME a cancellation fee! HA! I'm not the one that cancelled! And they don't have a customer service line to call to discuss the issue, so my only other option is to let everyone else know!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Today we used the Uber app to try to get a ride to work for my daughter. After request, the phone rings and it is the requested driver informing us that because of the weather (winter in Michigan) it would cost us a surcharge of $20 because he had to switch from his car to his truck. I do not see how his switching vehicles becomes our financial burden. Uber needs to set limits on things and not allow their drivers to charge customers what they want. They already started charging more in general, now service charges before you even get a Uber. Sucks, this used to be a good service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have been using Uber for years but after a bad experience this past Friday I think I’m done. After a two week business trip in Detroit, I arrived back to the DC area and found myself in need for a ride from Dulles Airport to my office in order to get my car and drive home (about 5 miles). I didn’t feel like waiting in line for a cab so I ordered an UberX. Not two seconds (literally two seconds) after hitting confirm my phone rang. I answered and the person on the other line identified himself as my driver and asked where I was. I was stunned to say the least but luckily I was already closing in on my walk to the pickup location. He asked where I was going and I told him the name of my company. He asked “Is that in DC?” To which I told him no, it is in Herndon just a few miles from the airport. He said ok and he’d be right there.

I hung up and again a literal two seconds went by and he cancelled the trip, I guess because it wasn’t far enough of a drive to make it worth his time. It made me mad that he did that. (I’ve heard from other Uber drivers they’re not supposed to confirm pickup based on your destination - in fact they don’t even know where you’re going until after they confirm pickup in the app.) The worst thing about this is that as soon as he did this the entire pickup confirmation disappeared. I couldn’t give him a bad review for abusing the system or even report this to Uber because it’s almost as if the whole thing never happened. No record was left at all other than the phone number he called from. But wait, it gets better.

I was mad, but still needed to ride so I confirmed another UberX. That guy didn’t cancel on me but now I wish he had. I should preface this narrative by explaining that the politics in Virginia (the state in which I was raised and currently still live) is in turmoil. Our governor, LT. Governor and our attorney general are all in trouble for either racist or sexual incidents. The driver was listening to talk radio which was fine although about 2/3 into the drive the news story was that another victim of alleged sex abuse by the Lt. Governor came up. My driver said “Can I ask you a question? Why don’t women report sex abuse claims right after they happen?” Seriously dude? I’m a woman alone in your car. Why on earth would you ask me that? I don’t know you.

It got worse from there. He ranted about his political opinion and no joke was borderline yelling at me. I was trying to be diplomatic but I finally told him that I was done talking to him. Thank God we were less than a mile from my office by that point. He dropped me off and popped the trunk without getting out to help me with my bag (which honestly I was glad about - I would have told him I can get my own bag, thanks). I was really upset about the whole thing, but the one star review is a result of how Uber handles these types of situations. I’m not even going to get into how absurd I think it is that customers are rated. I am rated for sitting in the back of car, trying to mind my own business? For real? But back to this specific complaint.

First, there is no phone number to call unless it’s an emergency. That right there should be a red flag about a company. Second, when you do finally figure out how to initiate contact through the app be warned that this communication service seems to be outsourced to another country (likely Asia, based on the names of the representatives). Culturally, I believe that makes a huge difference in how the complaints are handled. I think they’re given a script to follow, with restrictions on what form of amends they will offer. All I wanted was a refund for the $14 fare. That’s it. I felt like that was totally reasonable. Instead they gave me a $7 credit towards my next ride - no refund.

So basically in order to receive any sort of gesture of apology, I have to use their service again. The thing is that my company will reimburse me for the $14 but that isn’t the point. The driver I had was incredibly unprofessional and getting a little hostile towards the end of my ride. I think a refund for such an inexpensive fare is not a lot to ask. I went back and forth with Uber over the app and after my third attempt to get my point across I was told that my complaint had been reviewed and they were satisfied with how it was handled. Ok then. Glad you’re happy, Uber. That’s what counts in the service industry right?

I would like to add that I tend not to be an entitled person. I get things happen and life isn’t perfect. But I also think in this day and age while technology and companies seem to be advancing faster than ever before, companies should bring their A game to the table and treat their customers well. I survived before Uber and I will continue to survive once they are out of my life. I don’t care that their service is supposedly just to be an app. Once you start putting strangers together in vehicles and making insane amounts of money off of it, you become more than just an app. You are a servicer, so start being accountable.

It’s companies like this that create a more regulated atmosphere for the rest of us because they can’t just seem to operate by a best practice approach. They operate like it’s the Wild West until Uncle Sam slaps them with whatever violations and fines it can. So thanks again, Uber. Your behavior will result in even more laws for this type of service. Good job. Can’t wait to have more laws on the books.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

UBER USED TO BE GOOD. LAST YEAR, they started taking 40% MORE FROM DRIVERS. IN February, 2019, They are taking another 30%. Now when you go out, you make nothing with UBER. Uber is changing the customers more. And Uber is stealing and robbing their drivers blind. This criminal groups of con artist needs to be stopped.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I ordered delivery via UberEats. My order came missing many items and when I called the restaurant they were very apologetic and offered to refund my money. Since I paid via the app I had to contact Uber customer service to request a refund. Not only did Uber refuse to give me a refund, even though the restaurant agreed but they would not even bother telling me why. They simply did not respond to my follow up emails asking why I could not get my $27 back. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I will never use Uber or Uber Eats again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Uber, not the driver, double charged me for the tip I left for the driver. The tip was debited twice, on two different days. When I contacted Uber, they refused to acknowledge that this happened, even though my PayPal and bank account clearly show the deduction twice.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

A few years ago I purchased the Uber app as advertised using the $20 in case of an emergency for myself due to my situation. I had no transportation and still don’t today. I was at a doctors appointment In Sanford Florida behavioral Center for my depression. The nurse took my blood pressure and pretty much gave me a lecture due to my new high reading. I was able to see the doctor right away due to it being an emergency for having a stroke any second that day. I couldn’t go to the emergency room because I tried to use your app I was looking forward to due to my emergency however it never worked out other than I lost $20 for something I was never able to benefit from due to my situation that shouldn’t have been an issue. I realize Uber was just getting started at the time. I only wanted to bring it to their attention. Thank You.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Cab no. **. Driver name Anil **. I booked my cab from New Delhi railway station to my home and by mistake I left my phone in cab. My driver didn't returned my phone. Moreover misbehave with me as he was having no fear of Uber or Uber policies are in favor of him only. After that I visited Uber office Gurgaon also but no one helped me there. Also I don't understand what type of system these people are following and who is supporting this system a company where customer service is not there and there is no one to complain also.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Uber has to be one of the worst services I have ever used. Every single one of my drivers has been horrible, my card has been hacked through the app, I was charged an incredible amount for a ride I took over 7 months ago and was not able to split the fare with the people who took the ride with me and there is NO phone number for customer service. Probably because they know people will call all day to complain. I deleted my account and the app and will NEVER let my friends/family use this service again.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I’m a Uber Driver. I got a request on my app, I picked my passenger from Brooklyn, NY to Union City NJ and I paid the tolls. After I dropped off the passenger to the same address I have on my app I received a message from Uber that my fare been adjusted to $ 0.00 because it was a wrong rider (by the way it was same name, pick up & drop off location). What should I do next time? Take a copy of the rider ID. EVEN THE TOLLS I PAID FROM MY POCKET. IS THAT FAIR?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Scheduled an Uber ride 2 days in advance to get to my airline flight at the airport. When the time approached, the app said to be prepared because pick up would occur at the scheduled time. I stood out in the rain with my bags waiting for the driver. No one showed. The app changed from pick up at the appointed time to pick up "soon." After 40 minutes of panicking and trying to contact Uber, I gave up and contacted a taxi company that fortunately was able to pick me up and get me to the airport in time for my flight. The taxi company was small and the owner picked me up himself otherwise I would have lost all the money for my airline tickets and prepaid hotel reservations.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Uber only has online assistance/customer service, that's the first issue. The second issue is their online help never addresses the issue. All I wanted was a password reset. It's been over a year since I used their service because of an issue with a driver. I don't have the old phone to send a screenshot, I don't remember my last 2 trips, only one trip. My email and name should be sufficient and the fact I remember the last one last trip. Then if all of this isn't bad enough it takes them forever to respond, if at all. They have an office in Chicago and for what? Because they are apparently of no use either.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Tried multiple times to download Uber app all day yesterday and I’d enter the info it would ask and would either glitch or freeze. Finally after a few hours I actually got to the final step and went to click the arrow to set up my ride and I got yet another service error and was told to try again later. Emailed Uber and they essentially blamed my WiFi and service provider however when I was having the initial issues I had contacted both of them. Uber wanted screenshots, which I didn’t have, but was able to re-Install the app and try again and got the same “error” message. Sent off to Uber. They weren’t much help.

Very disappointed because Uber was the most recommended and it never worked. Took me 5 mins to install Lyft and had my ride in 7. Way easier to use compared to Uber. I won’t be using Uber now, I’m a dedicated Lyft user now, but these issues need resolved for any new or returning Uber customers. Very disappointed in the service as well as the half-assed response of “looking into it” when you know it won’t be. Shame on you Uber.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have been trying to drive for Uber now for 4 weeks. The funny part is my girlfriend who is of a different ethnic background was approved within a week with my same car, my same insurance and a worse driving record. However I am getting the runaround for weeks with the same car and information and a much better driver record and I believe that I'm being treated this way because of my nationality. The customer service representatives for Uber played games and sent me multiple email links that took me back to the same page that did not help and I had to call four times in order to still not be active as a driver. I believe they give these Representatives too much power and they need to correct the situation before the situation corrects itself.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I could not post this without selecting an experience rating so I entered one. If I could select minus 5 stars I would. I drove Uber for over two months. I was not paid. Uber owes me over $600.00 and will not pay. When I contacted customer service they stated the money should be in my account within 72 hours. I contacted customer service when payment was not received. They stated that the banking information was not correct. Even though the banking information was already entered I added it again. Money was not received. Called customer service and they stated that the bank information was not correct. I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told there was no supervisor.

Entered bank information again hoping for the best. When money was not received I contacted customer service. They stated that the banking information was not there. I took a screenshot of the partner's Uber banking link with my information. Sent to customer service. They responded that the banking information was not there. Again I asked for a supervisor. I was told that there is no supervisor. Through further telephone communications I again sent a screenshot showing that my information was entered properly. I have been beaten into submission. I am tired of contacting customer support and getting no resolution. I cannot understand why Uber does not have a way to escalate a problem. Uber does not need my money. But I do.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have been driving for Uber for 4 weeks (to earn a extra money on weekends). After 3 weeks of not receiving my pay and numerous contacts to Uber partner help - I have received a customer service message that “due to security issue with my account” I must contact and reinput my banking information.” Which of course I did through the app from my iPad. The message was again that I had security issues.

Finally after speaking to an Uber support representative, they tell me the security issue due to me signing in from “several devices” and that this is not advised and I should have only been signing in from one device (my phone only). NOTHING in Uber says this and I use multiple devices to check my account information (phone, iPad and computer). Now they tell me I have to drive 1 hour away to verify my identity and they have limited hours (weekdays 11-4 pm only) in Philadelphia - when I’m 40 miles away & I work a regular full time job during the week!!! Uber - get some IT & real customer service for your drivers!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I paid $24.99 for a Ride Pass because it offers "Weather protection" so that you pay a consistent price for each route you take regardless of rain or time of day, or so Uber states. My route to work and back started out at $10.49 each way. After a bit Uber began charging me $4.00 more to go home from work. When the snow and cold came I was getting charged well over $20.00 one way. When I asked Uber about this they replied: "With your Ride Pass, you'll pay a consistent price for each route you take. Periods of high demand may impact the price of your trip, but we'll always give you the lowest price." This in itself is contradictory. How can you pay a consistent price for each route if the price can be jacked up at Uber's discretion? The claim of Weather protection and protection regardless of time of day is nothing more than a bogus promise by Uber and a way to scam you out of $24.99.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

01/28/19. In the morning I had a fine ride to the Courthouse. In the afternoon I requested a ride back home. Ride 1: I didn’t move from where I called. After the 5 minutes wait Uber sent a cancellation message. Immediately I booked again. Ride 2: Uber message asked me to walk 2 long blocks to a different pickup location within 3 minutes. I informed that it was an impossibility because I have mobility difficulties. I walked half block on that time. A new cancellation message came. I didn’t call again. I was forced to use the reliable public transportation because I could not rely on a next call to Uber. I got NO UBER RIDE, my card had been charged $20.00 (3 times the original fee). I got $10.00 towards the next ride. This is a nightmare and feels like a scam. I need a full refund to my card and not a discount for the next ride. Please correct these transactions.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I tried to tip a driver and was locked out of my account. Customer support sent me an email making all kinds of techy demands that I am unable to do on my phone. I do most of my UBER stuff on my Mac. There is no way to have a conversation and the one way edicts demanding that this, that and the other thing be done is just toooo "Big Brother-ish". Seriously these tech companies s--k and seem to demand that we acquiesce to their demands. They make all kinds of profits from their drivers who are contracted and their customers who have no accountability - they get rich off of us creating the parameters of the "market!" UBER is just another company that makes billions off the backs of the poor especially contracted workers.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I made an order through Uber Eats. After waiting around for the driver who didn't respond my ordered was cancelled and they kept my money. Avoid ordering through them at all costs. They will keep your money and not deliver services.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have been driving Uber from 26th Dec 2018 and it's been almost 5 weeks but Uber hasn't paid my money. Uber owe me almost $6000 now and I have called their customer support several times but they just don't seems to care. They keep sending me system generated email and ask me to update my account detail which I have done so many times. I drive Uber full time so this issue had put me through severe mental stress and financial crisis. Now I have an appointment with lawyer next week to see what can be done. I am surprised that company like Uber have no proper procedure in place to resolve this important issues. Uber should be banned or asked to review their payment procedure so people like me don't suffer.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Uber charged my credit card account for 220 rides in 3 days which are all incorrect, as I did not use Uber during those days. The rides were charged from the USA and The Netherlands, altogether for an amount of approximately USD 7000, - During these days, December 23 to 25, I was in a country where Uber is not active, as Uber services are illegal in that country. I reported this matter to Uber, but they will not cooperate.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I've been doing Uber Eats part time now for over a year. This complaint is about Support, payment of promotions. You will get promos via text message. This last week I decided to take them up on a 3.00 extra charge for each delivery between 11 AM and 2 PM on Sunday Jan 20th. The text reads "Uber Eats: Today earn an extra 3.00 for every delivery completed between 11 AM and 2 PM " I got out there at 11 AM and received 4 delivery notices, I completed them, and ended my deliveries at 1:15 as no more calls for my services were needed. I went home and calculated my fees and was short 12.00 for the promotions.

I went to Support and got the runaround. After 9 emails today citing I didn't qualify as I had not driven during the promo hours I would not get the extra fees of 3.00 per delivery. I am considering that since each person I spoke with was foreign, using American names, that maybe the time zones played factor in all this (sarcastic humor). I even sent screenshots of my time on the road according to my Uber Dashboard and the promo sent to my phone via an Atlanta number that Support verified as being legitimate. I am very disappointed. This is not the first time they have taken my pay away after owing me.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

This complaint is about the company Uber & their customer support, not a driver. I requested an Uber back in late October after a large fundraising Halloween party got out. My phone unfortunately died from the cold air while the driver was on their way, but I knew the car make/model and the estimated time so I waited since I know that even if a phone dies the trip still goes through. After waiting for a while in the cold, no Uber showed. I waited right out front looking into every car that showed, even asking if they were there for me, and didn't have any luck.

Eventually my sister had to call another Uber on her phone so we could get out of the cold. The next morning I noticed a charge, which I figured they recorded me as a no show even though I was there. Upon further investigation, it looks like the Uber driver actually gave someone else a ride and charged ME (I could see the trip route they took). The drive must have realized and reported the mistake. This then immediately deactivated my account while they looked into it. It has now been 3 MONTHS, and I am stuck in Uber customer service hell.

The only place you can talk to a live person is Twitter, and all they tell you is "we're looking into it". I submitted a customer support ticket back on the first day this all happened, and the rep I was assigned (mind you it took 2+ weeks after the deactivation to get a rep) called me only once while I was in an appointment, and since then I have spent months leaving her messages and replying to my support ticket with zero response. No one will get back to me and it is completely unprofessional that there is no live person to actually handle these claims in a legitimate way. I know people that have gotten sick in Ubers and their accounts were not deactivated, so this is ridiculous business practice. All I can say is they're just forcing people to try their competitors and like them more with this type of behavior!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

If you need help, real support from Uber on their website, don't bother looking. It doesn't exist. No "Contact Us" or an email address or phone number. You do get directed to their Twitter feed where you can write in your question which is absurd on its face as I have never ever seen a company handle support in this way. And, you have to join Twitter just to do even this. I hate Twitter and find it stupid and useless which is why I used it for a few months years ago and deleted my account. And since I won't rejoin Twitter I cannot get in touch with Uber.

Their website has function problems galore in that it takes you to pages you didn't ask to go to then you can't get off of them without logging out and logging in again. My login page tells me my phone number and email are already being used on another account and can't be used again. That account happens to be mine, the only one I ever signed up with. And of course, I cannot get in touch with them because they do not give any information to allow you to do this. The drivers and cars have been good when I used them, but the company sucks and is run badly, and purposely blocks anyone from contacting them. I'll just call a taxi from now on.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My first issue came when my payments were declined and called fraud because I didn't set my pickup point at my exact address, but instead at a more convenient pick up spot for myself and the driver. Managed to solve this issue. The next issue, I attempted to purchase Uber credit, to be declined. My bank had cash in it, but refuses to accept payment. Furthermore, according to them, I still owe a $1.03 balance for some reason. Speaking of, why am I paying .03 for every dollar I give as a tip? And technical support (if you can call it that) just repeats itself and the directions to whatever issue you have with no guidance whatsoever. Really insulting. Used to be a great service, but now I guess they've decided to rest on their laurels.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I used Uber for the first time and the estimated fare was 27-36, being cheaper than Lyft I went ahead and did it then they charged my card 77$ and only gave me 19$ back. I will never do business again with these people.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs