1.83/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1191 Uber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I’ve been waiting a week for a check from them. I have auto payment for my bills and got charged $70 from the bank because I didn’t have the money in there for them. I called and was told it was a “glitch”. It shouldn’t take more than a week to fix. Asked to talk to a supervisor and got completely blown off. Terrible company to work with.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Uber uses every trick they can to get you out of every penny. It’s sicking. The customer service suck, or lack thereof. The company doesn’t even have a number for the riders to call. I was charged for two different rides that I never took, this was three days ago and I still have not heard from Uber. This company needs to be checked. Our country has checks and balances just for scam companies just like this!

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My ride canceled itself within like 2 seconds of booking it three times in a row and got charged every time. This happened before and I let it slide but it happened three times in a row again. Money is being stolen here and help is useless. Very hard to navigate the help page and no contact email or phone. Thieves! Going on to their competition now... Should of done it long time ago!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Recently bought an Uber with a few friends in Grand Rapids, MI. Once we got in his car he refused to drive us anywhere unless we gave him extra cash. My friend refused to let us give cash because she recently had been in another Uber in New York City who demanded extra cash and then kicked her out of his car. Never riding Uber again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

If your son/daughter uses Uber - beware. My son recently used Uber and was charged a $150 cleaning fee. The driver submitted pictures taken from someone else's ride, and claimed the mess was made by him and his girlfriend. He contacted Uber to refute these charges, and told them to check the date and time on the picture. Uber said they didn't have that information. Apparently they believe whatever their drivers tell them. He went back and forth with Uber. Finally, I sent an email and told them the driver would have that info, and we would seek legal counsel if necessary. They soon refunded his money. On a Google search, I found out many Uber drivers do this. They often set up their car to show a mess, use the same pictures over and over again, and even have a bank of "messy car" pictures they submit. My advice - take pictures of the inside of the car before you leave.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

It always shows as 5 min for arrival before booking the cab. As soon you I book the cab it takes 15-20 mins for the arrival. It still shows 12 mins arrival. You will not get to cancel the ride even because they charge cancellation fee for that. Always it has been a Worst experience.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

No show. Never again. Airport. Uber booked for 0815. 0810 driver cancelled. 0815 booked another. 0840 driver phoned - can't find the address. 0850 driver cancelled. 0855. Panicking. Tried again. 0915 Uber arrived, not mine. Driver said would cancel client and take me for 30 euros.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Buyer beware! Do not buy an Uber gift card. I received one as a gift, and tried to use it to take a trip with Uber. The card did not work. I have sent 25 requests to Uber customer service, and have been told 25 times that Uber cannot apply gift cards to rides and they do not issue refunds. Please do not buy an Uber gift card! Uber customer service does not help with gift card issues. The only way to contact Uber customer service is through the app. They do not have a phone number.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I needed to grab a ride in pouring rain for 3-4 blocks. I'd been given a code for discount ride that was never credited. Then found another charge of $40 on my card. When I made a complaint their answer was I had made a mess requiring cleaning. First off there is no way I'd made a mess with 1 small bag and just sitting there. And if I got seat wet, well it's pouring rain! I could of gotten entire car cleaned for that much. I'm handicapped and on a fixed income. This extra fee causes a hardship and actually takes food from my table. I've used this company for years and have had good and bad but this is robbing me and taking advantage of a trust with my bank info. Company cannot be trusted.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I schedule two Ubers for a trip to the airport for a group of 6. The first Uber arrived and took half of the group. The second Uber was late. As per their policy, I was credited $10 for being late. I could see the Uber coming up the street, then turn around and cancel us. He said he had car trouble. My guess is he had just been notified he lost $10 for running late and decided not to complete the ride. There were no other rides available for more than an hour. We had to drive ourselves and pay for parking for the entire trip, plus pay for the additional Uber which we would not have needed if I knew we were driving ourselves. Uber just sent a canned response/apology. Unacceptable service!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was in the middle of my ride, maybe not even the middle 1/4 of the way to my destination and realized I can should switch my destination to another closer location. To edit your location, you have to click the search icon and edit your destination. Cool, However it wouldn’t let me. Inside the part where the search icon is and on top of that was a location symbol. Basically means you can’t change it. The location you picked is where you’re going. I figured this can’t be right and starting trying to get answers in why, I cannot change it. I was so furious!!! But because I selected a CHEAPER ride like Uber pool which makes total sense because it’s CHEAPER!!! But Uber won’t allow you to change it, if you selected Uber pool. Ok, I don’t get it.

Why can’t we? Because other possible riders are around the area and you don’t want to change up the location or the length but I’m the one paying for the service, it shouldn’t matter what type of Uber service you get, if you need to change your location you should be able to. Terrible terrible system they have. Like what if you have an emergency and need to change destination mid drive but you can’t. Am I suppose to cancel ride mid ride and then get out the car and deselect my location and wait and get a new driver!!! Unbelievable!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Their price is too high compared to Lyft so I stopped using Uber. I had scheduled times to be picked up early for work and still was late because the app kept switching drivers and I scheduled the ride for the next morning so I had to actually get a Uber a hour before I have to get to work to be there on time.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Headed to the airport, Uber asks me to confirm my phone number. I do, and they ask me to enter a 4 digit code that I never receive. I contact customer support via the app (there is no phone number), and they ask for my phone number, a screenshot of my phone number, and my last few trips. They contact me almost 2 hours after submitting these details to ask for these 3 details again. I sent this info again, and they reply with a similar message. I type everything out and take new screenshots of everything, and they once again ask me for my phone number. I finally ask, "Is there any way I can continue using your app, or do I have to use a competitor going forward?" 20 hours passes. No answer. All I want to do is use the app, all of my info is the same, and has never changed.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The response to my email to Uber Eats is unacceptable. I sent the below email to Uber Eats customer service...their response was basically a slap in the face.

“Hi, I would like a credit for the inconvenience my colleagues and students had to go through, as well as myself. I scheduled and placed this order at 8:30pm, for delivery between 10pm-10:30pm. At 11:00pm it was still pending, so we got food for our kids from somewhere else. At 12:20am, I just received a message that the order was accepted and is being delivered. This is unacceptable, as we had to spend $120 on room service due to the fact we could not reach the restaurant or Uber Eats and our students had to eat.

Not only am I disappointed in the lack of a customer service number that is NOT easily available, I never heard from anyone about our order. This caused stress beyond measure, which makes me question whether or not we will continue to use your service. Uber Eats just provided us the WORST experience ever tonight. Because of the undue stress, extra money, and time, I think a credit is due. Can you please review this order and process accordingly. Thank you.”

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

After an hour of waiting for our food, Uber tracking online said it was delivered but no food. Contacted the restaurant, they said not their problem but did give us the driver mobile number, We rang the driver, and she said that she couldn't find the address so she binned it. Submitted a complaint via Uber forms and no response. We will no longer use Uber Eats... It's a pity because the Uber taxi is a good service but I may need to cancel my account in protest.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I haven't used Uber in a couple of years. I was recently asked by my employer to activate Uber for business and link my personal account. The last time I attempted to log in to the Uber app, it wouldn't accept my password. I attempted to reset it, but never received the verification texts they sent me so I could not. I have since gotten new phone number and so I had no way to receive their verification texts. I contacted customer service and they responded with a generic reply asking for the same information I sent them in the help form. I replied giving them this information again and explaining that I could not get the verification texts so I could not reset my password. They asked me to provide a screenshot of the phone number on my phone, which I did, and then they replied saying it didn't match their records. Of course it didn't match their records! I already told them that.

I replied once again explaining that I did not have access to the phone number I had originally signed up with. Again, they replied with the same generic form response as their first response. I replied a couple more times and each time they sent the same generic form response. This is some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I will be uninstalling the Uber app from my phone and I will never use their service again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My elderly mother took ill and was hospitalized. I immediately booked a bus to head to the state she resides as I have moved away. The driver came to my neighborhood. I called to guide him to my home and he cancelled causing me to not be able to make my bus on time and unable to get a refund on my ticket. I am out of $70 bus fare with Uber basically offering no help or a solution. I was unable to spend for another ticket which leaves my mother to go home without care upon her discharge. The driver should be made to pay for my financial loss as people depend on their services. I was given no assistance and told they were unable to do anything about my financial loss.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I am a regular user of Uber cabs from the moment it was introduced in Hyderabad. I never had major issues with the services and I am happy to be using their hassle free services except for the Uber ride services. I have been using Uber ride pass since September 4 2018 and for the month of November this would be 3rd time of opting the Uber ride pass services for the year 2018. Since September 2018 the Uber ride pass flat fare is made applied along with overage on 90% of my rides during September and October 2018 rides. During one such ride, the fare was calculated wrongly and extra amount was charged instead of the actual amount which was shown before confirming the ride.

On contacting the support services they have confirmed that extra was charged and reversed the entire overage amount. The fare was adjusted to the flat fare on that specific ride instead of actual amount which was shown to me before the ride. I was confused and tried analyzing the reason for reversing the overage amount and adjusting to flat fare instead of actual amount shown. I tried to contact the customer support in this regard, and tried for other rides raising that the trip fare was charged more than the applicable flat fare. I immediately got response and the extra overage amount which was collected has been reversed as Uber credits to me for a travel which was taken in the month of September 2018.

I therefore, raised concerns for all my rides taken since September 2018 till date that the Uber ride pass flat rate was not made applicable. From 04.09.2018 to 17.11.2018 all the rides I have taken and one ride on 19.11.2017 for which concern was raised have been adjusted to flat fare. The rides which were taken from 19.11.2018 are being rejected and the fare is not adjusted. My question is the fare adjusted to flat fare for the earlier taken for almost 2.5 months and why am I rejected the same benefit. On contacting the support team, they are giving a ready-made copy paste answer or recorded message sought of a thing without actually going through my concern or without trying to understand my issue.

I am fed up with the continuous message I have been sending and the robotic replies I have got. The representatives at Support are not trying to understand my concern which is very simple. If they wanted to apply the rules then they should have done the same at the time of first reversal when the ride amount was adjusted to flat fare. If that was fair enough then you should practice the same for all my travels. Is it too much to expect a simple answer to my simple question. It’s a humble request to whoever is on the top of the support system to look into my concern and provide a proper resolution to my concern.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Sketchy minivan came to pick up my mom and me up in a dark, isolated place where they never would have known there were people waiting for an Uber. A large good looking ** man (about 35-40ish) that had the likeness of an '80s rapper got out of the front seat, sat in the back and motioned for us to get in. The driver, a Pacific Island or Asian descent man (about 40-45ish, or more) who had the likeness of the guy from Fantasy Island looked nothing like the photo of the driver in the app and didn't respond to the mentioned name. Wrong car. Set up like a ride share in the Maryland Baltimore area. Driver not the driver in the photo in the app. Driver did not respond to his name or know my name. What the heck, Uber?!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Disgustingly poor customer service. Responses in the app seem to come from robots because I received the same response 5 TIMES to my initial inquiry and follow up responses. It seems like there are no humans that actually write back to you. I tried to get help from their support account Twitter handle but of course it was disgustingly unhelpful as well where I was told to just keep going back and forth with these robots responding in the app. I guess I’m never going to get my issues resolved which means I’m losing money. Despicable way to treat customers.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I would like for everyone to be safe for the holidays and also I wanted to share my HORRIBLE experience with Uber Atlanta Uber/Lyft Drivers United. So I was headed home from work and I rake a Uber from the train station and the Uber driver got ready turn in the neighborhood. And I told him this is the wrong neighborhood and Uber driver tells me, "I’m following the GPS" and proceed to go in the neighborhood and pulls up to a house that was also not mine. I then told him once again this is not where I live. And moral of the story I end up having to walk home and I will no longer be riding with UBER. They are unsafe and drivers don't care about your safe. I have continua to report my issue and they did nothing about us and thought a 5 dollar credit would solve the problem. I am terrified and very scared to after my multiple horrible experiences.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Had a Uber car pick my wife and self from 701 S Olive Ave Florida from ride to airport which is 10 minutes away. The fare posted was $7.55. The driver put in a false claim for spilled coffee in back seat. Absolutely false and attempt to claim damages from us. Car was clean when we entered and left. Wasting time having to communicate with Uber.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Uber keeps calling and sending ads to me to consider being a driver for them. I am a 66 year old lawyer and still very much active as a full time attorney. To my knowledge I only used them once, 5-6 years ago, to take my wife to a restaurant in NYC. It was not memorable for any reason. I would not dare step into one now after the rash of ** allegedly committed by their drivers. Same for LYFT.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have been using Uber for YEARS and use it often, I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on Uber, I am DONE. Uber does not screen their drivers anymore, drivers are rude or don't speak English which is the primary language where I live which makes it hard to communicate if need be, they do not check into the quality of the cars and I know this because I had a friend who has never used Uber sign up to be a driver and was approved after I had been picked up by more than 1 car with no ac and/or had some type of mechanical problem.

The "customer service" department with their same automated messages that basically all say their driver did nothing wrong or "things happen" is more infuriating than anything to deal with. The quality of this whole company is just ridiculous. The change in the quality of service and people has become very apparent since there is no sign up fee to be a driver and literally ANYONE can now drive for Uber, luckily other ride share companies are becoming more popular and there are now more options.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I've been through so much with this app and it's only negative. I've had so much patience trying to deal with this company but nothing gets resolved except Uber taking my money. I bought $75 in Uber gift cards to get a $72 ride. They didn't allow me to use the gift cards and asked me to add a card. I followed instructions to do so. I had an active card but it kept asking me to update my billing settings. I KNOW everything was correct. For HOURS I WAITED IN THE COLD trying to figure out how to get one ride.

I was so set on using Uber because I had added the gift cards to my account and they aren't refundable. That was my biggest mistake. I tried to call. Uber has NO CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER to help at all. This is simply just a terrible business. I angrily downloaded Lyft because I didn't want to spend ANOTHER $75 on rides and got my ride within the first 5 minutes of opening the app and creating an account. After all is said and done, Uber took my money and Lyft was so simple to use. UBER IS TERRIBLE AND THEY STEAL YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I’ve been an Uber driver for over two years and despite my one star rating there are a lot of things I love about driving for Uber, and none of them have to do with the actual company. The things I like for instance meeting new people and seeing new sites have to do with industry itself and the fact that most people are generally nice.

The company continues to alter the pay system and at each step the drivers make smaller and smaller percentages. There’s never anyone to talk to unless you call their overseas call lines who have zero authority to actually help. They don’t improve their system regardless of complaints from drivers regarding flaws. Amount other things I just don’t have time to go into, they don’t correct pay mistakes in most instances that clearly call for compensation. All in all, the idea of ridesharing is great and the most greedy people have cornered the market and clearly couldn’t care less for the drivers who make their business possible.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

When I had to go to work, it showed that the ride would be $8.24. So I agreed, when I finally got in the Uber after waiting for over 20 mins, I seen on my screen that I am being charged 20.41! So I am livid because I did not have 20.41 to have someone drive me 15 mins! The drive took back streets and did not follow the route. I tried calling and emailing Uber with no response. I would like a credit for the amount that was originally appeared on my acct.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Like any business, Uber is all about the money and despite that fact they fail to invest in their technology. My driver drove right past me while I'm waving my arms and kept going. She continued to drive around for 15 minutes instead of going around the block. As a result I missed my bus home for the holidays because she also drove lost and ignored the route that she was supposed to take and it kept rerouting her. Uber's response? Should have canceled when she drove past. Excuse me? Cancel and gets charge her driving and Uber's GPS? I fought back and they said policies and things aren't changing and I don't have to ride with them. Yeah you are right, I don't. Thank you, next.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

This is the worst company and untrustworthy. I used them couple of times and until American Express offer 15 dollars for Uber ride monthly and Uber did not credit me for the first ride and I take 3 rides in one day but none of them was credit the 15.00 dollars until I order food and still didn’t credit until I cancel my orders within minute that I order through Marco pizza in Norcross. And when I cancel the order which is total of 33 dollars and some change that’s when Uber credited me after I cancel the order and I am still being charged for the food that I never had from Uber eats that they claim Marco pizza is already made my food and how’s that possible after 1 min of ordering and have to cancel right away.

Very shady and I cancel my American Express platinum and American Express makes a very stupid decision by partner with this Uber company who willing to hire rapist and murderer and it’s your life and your safety so use them at your own risk. And their food delivery driver are mostly disgusting and I am working at the restaurant who use Uber so I use Lyft now.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I booked a pickup on my train to Alpharetta Georgia and when I arrived, the trip had been cancelled and I was charged a $6.00 cancellation fee. I had a gift certificate but it was very confusing how to use it and my trip (including the unexplainable $6.00 cancellation fee) was charged to my PayPal account. There is no one to contact to straighten this out. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs