3.7/5 (708 ratings)

About Uber

Uber Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I live twelve minutes from work which isn’t far at all. For some reason it cost anywhere from $27 to $38 to get a ride. This wouldn’t be a problem if it weren’t for the fact that when I first started riding two weeks ago it was only $12. It seems like Uber has raised their prices because they see that I require their services more often. Then to make it even more annoying, it takes the drivers fourteen minutes or more to get to me when my job is in the middle of downtown LA. Do you guys not have drivers on standby near the city? I’m getting a car next week (thank the gods) so I will not be bothered anymore with this. Do better.. especially if you guys are charging almost $40 for a twelve minute ride.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

My Uber account was hacked. The hacker changed the password and put in 2-step authentication so I cannot get in or change the password. I have contacted Uber 12 times via text and emails through their site. There is no way to call. They just tell me to log in, which I cannot do. I was charged $650 dollars for rides I did not take and gift cards I did not buy. Uber has done nothing to help me!

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

LAX nonfunctional service. App won't confirm ride, but somehow managed to keep rerouting the effort to confirm a ride to useless additional information about the app. Midnight in LA and no ride. Taking a taxi, the old fashioned way. This is the fate of the uber hopeful in LA more and more since Uber only functions as advertised anymore when no one needs it. If it's peak hours or (apparently) airport service, you can NOT rely on Uber. Its only function seems to be an inevitable middle step in escalating frustration when trying to make use of it's services when you actually need them, only to give up and walk, download Lyft, or call a cab. Uber has devolved into wet garbage.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Updated on 09/14/2022: I reviewed Uber on here yesterday, saying that they had given me a lot of double talk about refunding my $100 deposit since I had already decided not to use them and quoting a series of rules and regulations about traveling with a cat in a carrier case when I had already booked the trip before I knew this and they assured me that all I had to do was contact the driver for my trip once he was assigned and ask him if it was alright to travel with my two cats in carriers to take them to the vet since they are not registered service animals.

I decided I was forced to keep the trip since they would not refund my $100 deposit into their wallet on the app. I had been assured my fare would be taken out of the Uber cash deposit I had made. I logged into my bank account on the bank's mobile app this afternoon and there was an unauthorized charge of $39.55 from Uber when I had already been assured that fee would be taken out of the $100 I deposited into Uber cash on Sunday. I read other reviews of Uber after I had already booked the trip and transferred the $100 to the wallet in the app. Reviewers said that unauthorized charges appeared on their credit and debit card statements all the time from Uber and that trying to get a straight answer from Uber proved impossible. There is no way to contact them except through chat. There is no customer service phone number which in itself is suspect in my opinion.

I called my bank and had them lock my debit card and issue a new one. I canceled my trip with Uber scheduled for tomorrow and the bank told me the $39.55 pending charge from Uber dropped off. It was a pre-authorization charge so once I canceled the trip, it fell off, but it was supposed to be taken out of the $100 in the wallet anyway, so Uber lied. The bank told me they would dispute the $100 transferred from my account to the Uber wallet and get my money back. In the meantime, I cannot access my bank account until I receive the new debit card on Friday (it is being sent Federal Express) as a security precaution. All because of Uber.

They are fraudulent and you never get a straight answer out of them anyway as they proved when I tried several times to ask them questions in chat that they never directly answered, but told me the investigation of my traveling with two cats in carriers would be handed over to a specialized customer service team, which was never done. No one ever told me it was okay; they said it was up to the driver and there was absolutely no way to contact the driver; no contact link as they claimed there was. They also never changed my phone number although they made me jump through hoops proving my identity before they would change it and then they informed me the app changing the phone number was broken and they were sorry; they would report it to technical support.

Whatever you do, don't use Uber. They put unauthorized charges using your credit card information on file and then they lie about how your situation is being handled. I tried to get them to refund my $100, telling them I wasn't going to use them at all ever and they never answered the question about the refund at all, just gave me a lot of double talk about how to book rides, waiting periods, etc. DON'T USE THEM. They are not ethical or honest.

Original Review: I have only used Uber once and I didn't like them, but I was forced to book a ride with them because their vehicles are larger than my local taxi service. I booked a ride and added $100 to pay for the round-trip to my local vet since I don't drive. I went into a chat with Justin, one of the customer support people and asked him about the cats, telling them they were in carriers.

He said to ask the driver. I told him a driver had not been assigned yet. He said he would escalate the matter to a "specialized team" who would get back to me within 24-48 hours. He also told me if they were registered service animals after I told him I was taking two cats to the vet. Whoever heard of a seeing eye cat? Uber never got back to me about the cat issue, instead, they got back to me because I was unable to change my phone number.

They would send me a code, I would enter it and then get an error message. So I sent them a separate message about that. I had to jump through hoops - proving I was who I said I was by taking a screenshot of my phone number in the settings page on my iPhone. Then I had to provide the first six digits of the credit card on file. They still didn't change my phone number. I kept after them about the cat issue and they danced around the issue, never answering the question directly.

I asked them to refund my $100 in Uber cash and I would cancel the trip and would use another taxi service. They never even responded to my request for a refund, instead quoting a lot of rules and regulations about how to edit rides, how to cancel rides and providing a link to traveling with pets. I am forced to take the Uber when it shows up at my home Thursday because of the Uber cash I put in, but I will NEVER, EVER USE UBER AGAIN - they are unethical in my opinion.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I have used Lyft for years; however, the company has not addressed my concerns about immunocompromised riders. They just follow CDC so my drivers have not used masks nor provided ventilation. Uber, on the other hand, has their drivers wearing masks and offering ventilation. Too I like the option of choosing eco rides. I will only use Uber from now on.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Placed a pick up from LAX to Ladera Heights. First quote came in at $26.99. Uber then messaged a failed technical problem and asks to reapply. Second request came in at $30.99. Same distance from Ladera Heights to LAX was $21.99. As anyone can see clearly, this is price gouging. Uber will not succeed with gouging customers.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

An Uber driver named Christopher was to pick me up between 4:35 and 4:45 pm at my Condominium Complex. I waited 5 minutes outside my condo starting at 4:30. Since I did not see his Jeep I started to walk to the entrance of the complex and expecting to see him on the way. I got to the entrance and waited there until 4:45. That's when I finally saw the Uber driver as he was leaving the complex. I flashed my Uber sign and he stopped. He then told me that he had cancelled my ride because I was not at the pick-up location.

When I asked him where he had been waiting, he told me Condo Unit #1021. That of course is not my condo and I would not have been able to see him there. To add insult to injury, Uber charged me a cancellation fee which was higher than the original ride would have been. And of course Uber does not provide a means to contact them and demand a refund of the unwarranted cancellation fee. Date of missed ride: August 25, 2022.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

After submitting my debit card to Uber I've have suspicious activity like bogus rides that was withdrawn from my bank account and Uber neglected my concerns. I think Uber is making false rides in order to steal money from people like me.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I had to leave my car at a repair shop this morning and scheduled an Uber. My first Uber experience ever. I live 2.9 miles and 7 minutes from the auto repair shop. Uber had the unmitigated gall to charge me $20 for a 7 minute ride. $20 + tip. As if that's not bad enough, they charge a $2.00 Booking fee??? WTF? That helps them offset their costs! lol. I work from home. I use pencils, pens, paper, printers, computers and office chairs. Do I add extra charges for clients to pay for MY cost of doing business? No.

I want to know who's regulating Uber? There needs to be a cap on what can be charged per mile. $20 + tip for a 2.9 mile ride It's nothing but a rip-off and I will likely never use Uber again unless they're a last resort. This is nothing against my drivers. They were both very nice and friendly. I liked them both. BTW, my ride to go pick up my car was $8.00 + tip! Don't tell me my first ride wasn't a rip-off. It was. Regulate Uber.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I request a pick from the airport to home about 89 miles. The app gave a price of 112 dollars. I accept the ride. I walked to the ride app for pick-up but got lost in the airport. The driver was talking to me and let me know where to go. When I got, he told me that the company had canceled the order. Then told me that that was too far to drive and no one would pick me up. And this was 12 midnight. But it sounded like, "If you give me cash then we'll talk." I don't understand then why did the app give me a price in the first place. The driver was named "Barinder" ** date 8/20/22 order. Also did not understand if the driver was talking to me always till I met him. Then why did he not tell me from the beginning that he could not do it? To me, no regard for safety.

Uber author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

Uber Company Information