Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5
Based on 2,620 ratings submitted in the last year

Uber Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I’m not huge on ride share or using anything that involves giving my bank info to a company. When using Uber for the first time I was very surprised at how competitive the prices were. Getting a ride from the casino was 79$ from a taxi and 36$ from Uber! I was shocked. The drivers are cool and do there best to make sure I was comfortable. The only bad part is the lack of rewards we can get and the discounts are only temporary and they’re given when they want to give add them to our account. And they come with restrictions. They combined it with Uber eats but they don’t offer it in my area which is a disappointment for sure.

I’m very happy though they have Uber gift cards which allows me to not use a bank account and comes handy cause you never know when you could get stranded as we all at some point in our lives. I’ve had no bad experiences so far. Just make sure you grab everything before you leave the car as they really don’t look to see if you left anything behind. I’ve found many things left by prior customers and know how frustrating it can be.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I do not have Uber in the area where I live. But I use it whenever I travel in Mexico and the US. The worst experience I've had, in my 2 years of using Uber, was in San Francisco. I waited 14 minutes for a driver who didn't show up. He somehow canceled and went elsewhere, and I found out the hard way. It was annoying, but didn't cost me anything but my time. The overwhelming majority of times I have used Uber were great. Nice drivers who showed up on time, drove safely and gave great service. Most Uber drivers go above and beyond. They are happy to give travel tips to tourists and help with luggage. I always feel safe with Uber as I have the Uber car's description and license tag, plus a picture of the driver.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

We used two separate Uber drivers, one on the way to a concert in downtown Austin and the second driver took us back home. Both drivers were safe drivers, their cars were clean and comfortable, and they readily adjusted their thermostat in their car to accommodate our comfort level. The second driver that picked us up from the concert was able to get very close to the arena exit doors. We did not have to walk very far at all to get to his car after the concert. He was there waiting when we walked outside so we did not have to wait at all for him to make his way through the traffic to pick us up. Overall both rides were a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I've been using Uber for 10 years..when it began in SF, Ca. I used it in NYC, NJ and now Los Angeles, CA. I cannot drive due to my disability and before uber I had to live in cities with great mass transit like SF and NYC. But because of Uber and their amazing cost (comparison to a car) concern of their riders/drivers...I am available to live anywhere in the world now. (Well almost!) I've met amazing drivers, people...and in my 10 years have only had 3 or 4 drivers I've had to make a report on their behavior. (It's like customer service...some people are just not made for it).

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

We have used Uber several times. Some are very good, some ok, and one awful. All have been punctual. But the quality and cleanliness varies. The awful one was smelly and we almost had an accident within two minutes. He ran the stop sign. The car was dirty and smelly and if we hadn’t had to be on time, we would have gotten out. The best one was an immaculate SUV. It looked brand new even though it was about 7 years old. The driver was polite, cautious, very neatly dressed. He had free water in front and in back and little cups with candies in the cup holder. He was a real professional and made the last leg of our trip a pleasure.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have used Uber 4 times and never again. Three were horrible experiences and they make it almost impossible to contact Customer Service and when I asked the lady via e-mail to call me and gave her my number because I have a tear in my shoulder, she would not respond. All 3 of these bad experiences were men who tried their lack of English as an excuse. I taught Special Ed 23 yrs. Most people’s issues is that people try to use their language as an excuse for their poor behavior. So, that gives drivers excuses to play sex music where it’s talking about what a woman will do after you give her 3 shots and 5 shots. Dang, alone in a car with a stranger and he’s playing that music, drivers refusing to go towards your house and taking trips that makes the distance 3 times farther just to charge you more.

Drivers speeding and taking sharp turns. Drivers going fast in my neighborhood and not slowing down over speed bumps. Drivers telling you they can not find the emergency room entrance of the hospital and refusing to contact for another driver. Driver refusing to pull down to pick you up and making you walk when you have messaged him repeatedly saying walking is too hard and due to the trauma my body went through has now caused the nerves to no longer allow me to wear shoes. And drivers, refusing to stop and let you out because they have scared you so bad. This is just from 3 Uber trips.

The other was a very nice woman. Uber app does not allow you to pick drivers. It’s insane. So they allow their drivers to go away from your home and charge you 3 times the cost, don’t care that their drivers speed and pump breaks to throw you forward because you ask to get out of their car. Drivers taking sharp turns and going fast in neighborhoods and not slowing down over speed bumps. Drivers playing sex music. Drivers not stopping to let you out of car. Dang, yesterday the hospital sent me home on pain medication and it was scaring me because the driver kept looking at me through the rearview mirror. I prayed the whole way home for God to keep my eyes open and get me home safely. The hospital should have never put me through that and this driver was scaring me and I will never ever ever use Uber again.

Their Customer Service does not care and they have gone through so much to make it virtually impossible to contact them. Please be careful using Uber. Never use one alone especially if you are a woman and a hospital has sent you out even when you keep telling them you are way too loopy. Our country is in crisis and I no longer even want to leave my home but have to take a taxi to get the medicine filled that that the ER drs gave me a script for.

Original review: March 19, 2020

Received an Uber gift card, so I downloaded what I thought was the Uber rider app. I started to complete & realized it was the driver app. Customer Service was nice, but you can't talk to anyone, I called the 800 number. It's all done through "chat", which to me is the poorest customer service there is. To delete the driver account I would have to delete both driver and rider account (which is automatically set up with driver account??). Customer Service rep told me they can disable the driver account to keep the rider account with my current email address, otherwise I will have to use a different email address. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I started to work for Uber in November of 2019, my first week was horrible, trying to learn how to work the app, because Uber does not help you to learn the app. Another thing when I applied to work with Uber it was a horrible experience as I had to wait 3 weeks before I was able to drive because everything had to be done the way they wanted like how I took pictures of my car, pictures of myself, pictures, of all documents and so on. In my second week, I learned a little more about the app because I had to ask other drivers, but this is where I start missing money from the Uber Visa card. I really worked my bottoms off. I was working 12 1/2 hours a day, I was so excited because I had made $845.00 that week so I cashed out my money to find out that I had no money.

I called Uber Support to complain about what had happened to my earnings, I spoke to someone that barely spoke any English, and all they could say was has your question been taking care off, I said no and this just kept going on for several minutes at the end one of the support people said, "I am sorry your card was compromised." Well, today is Tuesday, March 10th of 2020 and I have yet to receive the money they owe me plus on top of that they put the money in my tax papers so now I have to pay taxes on the money I never received. On Sunday, March 8th, 2020 I made over $160.00 dollars, once again I deposit money to the visa card. I didn't work Monday afternoon because I had gotten home late Monday morning, and I said to myself I will work Tuesday, and just rest today.

Well, Tuesday came and I go to get money out just to find out that I only had $40 dollars and some cents I said what the ** is going on. I got on the phone and called the number behind the Uber Visa card, and after explaining myself several times the only thing they told me was to call Uber support, and they could not help me out at all. So I called Uber support. I explain to them the same thing, and I was told to call Uber Visa card. I told them, "Are you joking me?" I gotten so angry that everything came out of my mouth to find out they had hanged up on me, and on top of that they send me a text for me to rate how I was taken care.

My tears just came rolling down my face. I was speechless. So I am not going to sit and wait for them. I am going to make some calls in the morning, and I am going to report this even if I have to use the last dollar I have to pay for an attorney, or find all the help I can. I will find a way, but this has to stop. This is abuse. My husband and I tried to look for the main number for Uber and we looked all over the web and we could not find a number. Please can someone help?

Sincerely,

Jacqueline **

Original review: March 8, 2020

Poor experience with using promo. Feels like scam as the company keeps giving wrong explanations although the promo is active on the app. I have been requesting Uber support to look into it and sent several emails but same questions and wrong explanations given. Requested them to take off the promo code or honour it. Lyft is way better and more transparency in terms of promo and pricing. Don’t waste your time on using the Uber app or don’t get sucked into their promos. It’s a scam.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I'm a weekend driver with Uber and have been for 4 years. Uber requires an annual background check, which I 100% agree with. This was usually done in a day or 2 and never impeded my ability to drive. This year, they are not only taking a really long time for approval (over a week already), but it is preventing me from driving until the review is completed.

Some quick Stats:

1) My background check has been clean every year.
    2) With a driver rating of (4.92), I'm considered a highly rated driver.
    3) I am a platinum level driver, only driving on Friday and Saturday nights.

4) I have over 4500 safe and successful trips.

I have made 9 calls and sent 10 email correspondence with the Uber driver support. My issue is still NOT resolved. I’ve been told that my background check is completed (via phone, email and the “Checkr” site, and yes that is the correct spelling). I have seen a copy of this background check on the Checkr site. It’s completely clean and the same as the last few years. They told me in 7 emails and 6 calls that it is completed and under review. I’ve requested this get expedited each time I call/email and I still don’t have access to go online. The Uber driver support told me they have sent this up 4 times already to the review group to get it expedited, and still, nothing has changed on my side for accessing the app. I have been sent the same email 6 times, and am told virtually every time I call…

“I can see that your background check provider has completed their report, but it is currently under review by the Uber team. This step can take up to 15 business days to complete the background check process. We appreciate your patience throughout this process. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to reach out. Thank you for being a platinum driver!” This is so unprofessional and sad that a process like this takes this long as well as the same canned responses each time without any true correspondence with someone from UBER that is not in the support center in the Philippines. Not even a supervisor.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team