2.05/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Uber

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

646 Uber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Uber drivers in Sydney (and other cities around the world ) have a bad habit of accepting jobs from miles away and sometimes up to 20mins, while still dropping off a passenger and while there are dozens of cars very close to the new job location. I had one this morning again to take me from home in Rushcutters Bay to work in the city and there were at least 6 cars within 1-2mins from my location. This the ** Uber driver, still took the job while still in the city some 15mins away. Uber needs to do something about this sort of behaviour as it ruins the customer experience and make people angry, if customers want ** service they would take a cab. The solution could be very simple, offer a function on the app for the users to manage a circular area around the pickup zone beyond which Uber drivers are excluded from picking up rides. Simple!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I use Uber all the time, but I am officially done with this unprofessional company. Guess it would be a crime to be able to talk to someone in person at Uber. Uber is letting their drivers ripoff their riders. I have a service dog and in the last weeks have been charged twice a cleaning fee, without any input. The last one was for dirt spots on the seat that was already there. I am tired of drivers making extra money, whenever they feel like it. I am done being ripped off!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

** - Contact number of the driver. Absolutely not professional. I booked a cab and it showed me 3 minutes away. Again it changed to 6 minutes away. Followed by 9 minutes away. I called him to guide him through. He purposely kept the phone on speaker and pretended like he could not hear me. Uber has really disappointed me. HORRIBLE.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I have a pay as you go phone, it was next to impossible to get their app to work on it. I am still finding it difficult to change the bank I want the money to come out of. There is no ph # to call for customer service.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Uber Atlanta Horrible - I did Rideshare. The driver confused me with the other person that took the ride. I requested to be picked up from the Aquarium and go to Mary Mac’s Restaurant. If you look at where the driver took the client it was not to that place. Uber charged me $4.77 for a ride I never took and believed the driver over me. Rideshare should not be used If you can’t account for who took the ride. I was never picked up, the driver simply confused me with the other person. I had 3 rides scheduled but only picked up one time. Unfortunately, because of their growth, there’s no way to account for what is real and not. I had the same problem in Washington D.C. but was able to get refunded.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I'm an avid Uber rider. On 9/30/2017, I ordered an Uber pool around 2pm. My fare was $8.98. The driver picked me up from my location. On the way to my dropoff, the driver picked up another passenger, dropped that passenger off. He proceeded to my dropoff, but he ended my ride by mistake. The driver had to load my dropoff address again. It's only after I got out the car, I realized my fare was duplicated. I've sent emails to UBER. They dont have customer relations, only email. They didnt refund me my money. On October 6, I used their service again. This time my fare was $30.92. This fare was obviously deducted from my Visa card and its also on my statement. On their app, UBER is claiming I have an outstanding payment, but I have PAID THEM. I need help.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Uber charged me again for a wait time when I was outside waiting for the driver to pull up. Today I watched the driver pull up and got into the car. I even texted the driver my location beforehand so there would be no confusion. Then I look at my online receipt and I see the charge. This is the third time Uber has done this. I think it is a scam. I rated the driver really low and will change it once someone verifies that the drivers aren't responsible for this. I can't get anybody on the phone. Uber's customer service is atrocious. I can't keep using a service that tries to scam me at every opportunity.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Used Uber 4 times in Miami in January. Twice the drivers were good, one a little lost, and one couldn't find his butt with both hands.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My car was in the repair shop and I needed a ride home from work. I used my Uber app and my driver was there within 15 minutes and she was very professional. Her name was Joke and I said I would use her services again. Great experience!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I order Uber pick up and my family and I find out every each time my phone has higher charges. Other 2 phones only charge around $5.77 for a pool ride, my phone every each time is higher, it charge $7.49, usually a dollar something higher, sometimes is even more.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We had occasion to use Uber for the first time in Washington. D.C. last fall. The service was convenient, dependable, economical and very easy to use. The service was friendly and on time, the drivers courteous. A very good experience.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

My son and daughter recently went to a concert at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn New York. For convenience my son ordered an Uber. The quoted fare was $57-$80.00. He was charged $81.52. After the concert he requested another Uber for the return home to New Jersey. He was quoted the cost would be $55-$75.00. When he left the car the final cost for the ride was suppose to be $75.22.

The next day he received a fraud email from his bank stating that there were 3 charges of $130.80 pending on his account. He quickly called the bank to dispute those charges and he contacted Uber by email to also dispute the charges. He was later charged $130.80 for his return trip. He hasn't received any explanation for this overcharge price from Uber. Their accounting is poor and they will only dispute their issues via email. We have used their services in other states and have had no problems. We will never use their services again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Uber has suddenly blocked my account without giving any justification. Even their customer care is not giving any proper reason. I have requested for reason but that can't even give that. This is not ethical to block without any reason.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have the Uber app installed on my phone. Uber drivers are easy to schedule, payment is made online so I never need to worry about having cash. My wait is typically 5 minutes and I'm able to see the car in route along with make and license plate numbers (which can be sent to a friend by text if anything should ever happen). Fares are 50-75% less than traditional cabs. Cars are clean and well maintained. Love Uber!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

New User. Tried to book a future pickup and thought we had. Realized that they dispatched a driver immediately and once I discovered this I cancelled. They charged $5 fee and I disputed because of their poor app information. There is no phone number to discuss customer relations. I will NEVER use this company!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

The Uber driver cancelled the trip himself without consulting me. I was waiting for the driver to pick me up. While I was waiting, I received the email that the trip is cancelled and I was charged R25. I struggled to get hold of them to solve the problem, because everything is online with them. I managed to submit my complaint with them online. They took about two hours to come back. A Mr ** told me I must check that the reverse the money back into my account, which is not true. They only reverse the amount which they would've charged me for the trip but not the cancellation fees. I sent Mr ** an email again and told him that I was not reimbursed with the cancellation fees. He replied to me with an attitude in bold that the driver must get paid for a cancelled trip and at the same time the attitude is "what do you further want us to do. The matter is resolved and like leave it and keep quiet."

I replied again and told Mr ** that I will take the matter further, because I had to make alternative arrangements. The driver just cancelled the trip and I was charged a cancellation fee which is not fair and I also told him he doesn't have to have an attitude with me to send me an email in bold. I'm very disappointed and disturbed, because I actually make use of Uber nearly every week sometimes twice or three times per week. I am shocked with what happened tonight and the kind of attitude which I received from them. If I was in fault I would've understand their attitude and behaviour. Kind regards.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Uber's customer support via email is beyond words. The most horrible and worthless support group I have ever seen. These people don't read the cases, and subsequent replies are bizarre and repeat the previous CS rep reply. You will never have the same support rep even for the same case so there is no accountability or structure. It's quite unbelievable on all levels on how bad it is. At least as a writer you can dispute a credit card charge. But as a driver Uber can cheat you out of money and get away with it. I am a victim.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I noticed that when I Googled Uber, they were giving free rides to new customers so I downloaded the app and attempted to add a payment method. I'm disabled therefore I receive my money on a prepaid (if you will) government debit card. The card is issued through the Bank of America from the government of the United States and Uber will not allow it as a form of payment, nor will they allow me to use my PayPal account which is attached to said debit card. I find this extremely prejudicial towards the disabled sect, as many of us cannot drive or even afford a car, making ride sharing a necessity. I've spoken to Uber drivers who find the map app to be incorrect quite often, getting them lost and making them late. They also find the politics of the company deplorable.

Lyft, on the other hand does take my government of the United States issued Bank of America debit card, so I'll forego the old free ride bait and switch offered by Uber and ride with Lyft, a ride share company I've never had a problem with, whose drivers are friendly and on time, and don't have to ask me for directions; a company that understands that a prepaid card means the money is guaranteed. Perhaps London has the right idea.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I had four trip to the same distances with four different fares!! Uber charged me more than the fare showed up in my phone! I have tried a lot to contact them to resolve the problem, at the end, they said it's more than 7 days and they cannot solve this problem!!! There is no phone number to contact and I am very upset with what they charged my credit card. I will never use this service again. Shame on Uber.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

In general Uber is a great app, easy to use, convenient. When it becomes a not so great app is the "surge prices" feature. The ride then costs a ridiculous amount. I agree you can charge more when there's high demand but there should be a limit, like 20% more or 30% more. But often times it could be 3X as much. Makes regular customers like me resentful.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Uber has done a great job to provide us an alternative transportation for people who don't want to use bus or taxis. It provides security and privacy for the customers.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

This was very convenient and inexpensive. I used it with some friends to make a trip out on the town to celebrate a birthday. It was awesome, fast service both going and returning.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Earlier this year I attempted to apply as a driver but due to poor knowledge and a lack of direct communication provided by Uber I was unable to complete the hiring process. This company has no readily available personnel to assist you when you require immediate assistance. They simply direct you by text to attend an upcoming Uber meeting in some city if you have questions. They also collect and maintain personal driving records, personal identifiable information and documents of individuals who were unable to meet their requirements. Such information should be purged from their systems, not kept on file.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I wonder how thoroughly the company's background check on prospective drivers really is. My concern comes from reports in the news on some drivers who have mental or otherwise criminal behavior.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We used Uber for the first time to attend a wedding reception in Portland and we loved it. The ease of using it was awesome. The people that picked us up were professional, clean and friendly.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I'm not pleased with the Uber. They may project charges through one of my credit cards that they tried to refuse to remove but they were probably removed later on. Bye-bye credit card company. Also one of the drivers ran my wife over and broke her back in three places.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We only started using Uber this past year in Las Vegas, Nevada. A hotel staff member helped us download the app and use it. The drivers were very dependable, prompt and courteous. The cars were much cleaner than the cabs, and the rates were much lower. I am sorry to hear about the scandals that have recently besieged this company, and am hoping that the CEO's decision to take a leave of absence will help this company reform itself and improve its name. Unfortunately, Uber is not allowed to operate in my area, otherwise, my husband and I would use it more often.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I booked an Uber XL from our hotel to the San Francisco International Airport with a 9 a.m. pickup. The quoted fare was $44-$57. Our hotel offered to take us for $17 per person, but we opted to take Uber for the personal service and efficiency. We had an excellent driver and vehicle but when we arrived at the airport I discovered that Uber charged me $99.26! The worst part about Uber is that they make it so easy to book a trip but then they make it so difficult to contact them regarding any issues.

If surge pricing was in effect, they should have given me an estimate of the new price rather than surprising me with the price that was twice what they originally quoted. They have lost me as a customer because this is the second bad experience that we've had. The last one was in Philadelphia when we had two drivers cancel and left us hanging at the airport and the third driver to show up was in a construction pickup truck full of tools and construction material. We have maintained a 5 Rating, so there shouldn't have been any issues with drivers regarding our Uber rating. Uber customer service is completely non-existent and they rely solely on their website to answer any questions. In this day and age, that is completely unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Uber drivers that I've dealt with have always been professional, safe drivers, and a pleasure to deal with. Their cars have always been clean, mostly newer models, and well-maintained. For the most part, the drivers get you in a short period time. However occasionally you might get a driver that suddenly realizes he doesn't want to take the call and you suddenly see on the map that he's going in a different direction. That could be frustrating when you're waiting for pick up, luckily, it has rarely happened. Overall, Uber is very good.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Uber arrived to pick me up within 10 - 15 minutes of being called. Clean, comfortable vehicles and good music. Courteous drivers and safe driving habits. During rush hour in an area I was very familiar with, a driver was willing to divert from his GPS directions and go the way I told him would avoid the traffic. But one driver was a little less accommodating and dropped me off with luggage to carry, across the street from my destination.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.
    • Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.
    • Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.
    • UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.
    • Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.
    • Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs