1.62/5
Based on 458 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

902 Uber Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Uber needs to be shut down. They treat the drivers unfairly also the riders. I'm always being short paid instead they increase the service fee. How is it that they get paid more than me on a trip. That doesn't make sense. Drivers need to come together and report them or even boycott for a while until they fix the issues we are having and stop cheating us. If nothing changes then they Uber need to be ban from Atlanta.

Original review: June 17, 2018

So generally, I prefer Lyft over Uber mainly because over time it became apparent to me that Lyft has a better attitude towards its customers than Uber. And my suspicion was confirmed a few months ago when the story broke about sexual harassment claims at Uber and how they were handled. Until now though, I had never really experienced first-hand the callous nature of Uber's leadership. Here is my story:

I ordered an Uber to take me from my hotel to the airport and since I had time on my hands I ordered the Pool. When the driver arrived, the older gentleman, whose English was not too good - for which I am not judgmental as an immigrant myself - seems somewhat confused about whether or not I was his passenger. It seemed that the first rider who was in the vehicle was also headed to the same airport so the gentleman thought he had already picked up the airport passenger. After some back-and-forth discussion I decided politely to just take a taxi from the hotel and let the driver go on about his business.

Shortly after I arrived at the airport I checked my Uber app only to realize that I had been charged for the ride, which, of course, I didn't take. So I immediately filed a request with Uber technical support for a refund. Not 10 minutes later, tech support replied and informed me that their records indicate that a trip from the given source and destination as I requested had indeed taken place so they could not issue me a refund. What basically happened is that the driver didn't cancel my portion of the ride so it appeared that both passengers were on the trip.

I replied with a scathing reprimand asking them to do their due diligence and contact the driver to confirm that I did not take the trip before making a judgment and suggesting that I was being dishonest. And it seems that this prompted them to act and shortly after they replied apologetically and indeed issued me a refund.

My issue here is not the older gentleman, whose accent was not so great and appeared about the trip, or the encumbered cost of the trip, but rather the dismissiveness I experienced from Uber when I filed a complaint. Without any due diligence they made a judgment assuming I was in the wrong and then dismissed my case. As I noted in my scathing follow-up to them, that attitude is typical of the toxic Uber culture, which played out none more horribly than callous way in which they dealt with complaints from female employees about sexual harassment.

It seems to be an institutional norm for them that 'they are right and you are wrong.' It's very condescending and vexing to be made subject to that sort of attitude. I think it has no place in the industry. Needless to say, I deleted the Uber app and will resume using Lyft, as I did after the scandal. I actually only recently started using Uber again because they offered a discount on up to 10 rides. Shame on you Uber. You all need to tighten up.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Got an Uber me and my friends on 6/9/18 at 3:03 am -3:30am. I was seated on the front passenger seat while playing music from my phone via the car's aux cable. When we got dropped I got out to help my friend who was seated at the back seat to get into the building. Before entering the building I realized that had left my phone in the Uber. After getting inside the building I attempt to call the Uber driver but he ignored all my calls. The phone rung but he never picked up. I called the driver multiple times and left him several voice mails to call me back. But he never called back. I went ahead and contacted Uber customer service and they informed me they've notified the driver about my phone. However, the driver stated he did not see any phone. But after tracking my phone it showed the device was in the Uber and got turned off 10 mins after he had dropped us... Such drivers are giving Uber a bad reputation.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was delivering for a client when she had forgotten to put her hotel room number down, I gladly advised her that she would have to come downstairs to pick up her food, at which case she did, however the very next day, I was told my account would be placed on hold for 24hrs because she suspected my car to smell like weed. I advised Uber I would take a drug test and do anything needed to suffice the allegation, however Uber decided upon themselves to shut down my driving status for not 24 but 48hrs instead... Uber lies, and so does the customer's supposed allegation that can't be proven... There should be protocol for things of that nature, however there aren't. This matter could have been dealt a little better, and cleared up and resolved, however I did not get that kind of approach from their hubs, nor their support system. Uber has a bad track record for unresolved issues, in my opinion, and that's the way they like it...

Original review: June 12, 2018

Yesterday, I took an Uber from Union, NJ to Staten Island,NY ($45 ride). The Uber driver allegedly spilled some rice, took a picture and then nailed my credit card for a $145 cleaning fee. The ride took place in the midnight and I do not eat in the car. Uber said sorry. This is a fraudulent, UBER and its drivers are dishonest. I will never use UBER again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber?

Original review: June 12, 2018

Beware anyone who rides with UBER. They are dealing in FRAUDULENT practices!!! For 3 weeks now I was offered the Ride to Earn Savings... 9 rides for a certain percentage of ride the following week. Each week I have taken 10 or more rides. In one day I took 6 Ubers but got credit for only one!!! This week, although I earned the ride savings and have 20 rides that are supposed to be discounted UBER still REFUSES to apply THEIR PROMOTION!!! They keep responding with, "Sorry while we look into this response." ALL the while I cannot use my promotion.

I am going to every media outlet, BBB, and attorney general with my complaint. IT IS ILLEGAL TO ADVERTISE AND NOT HONOR YOUR PROMOTIONS UBER!!! "In fact, in many countries true “bait and switch” has been made illegal through different forms of consumer protection legislation. In the United States, for example, consumers can file a lawsuit against a marketer for false advertising if they're using the technique."

Original review: June 12, 2018

Yesterday, I took an Uber from the airport (43 dollar ride). The uber driver allegedly poured a liquid on the seat, took a picture and then nailed my credit card for a 150 dollar cleaning fee. The ride took place in the morning and I do not drink. Uber said sorry. I apparently am not the only one that has experienced this Uber money making plan. The reviews say (take a video of the inside of the car, in case you have another alleged dishonest Uber driver). In the future, I will take a taxi.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Not only was my driver unable to find me, we had to wait on the avenue rather than in front of the building where we were staying. On our trip home the driver went a roundabout way and that extended the trip by 8 miles plus the extra charge for the time. The original fare quote was changed. I understand charging for tolls but I don't want to contribute to some drivers fund that's tacked on at the bottom of the receipt. We are going back to car service where the fees are set. No surprises. No more $121. one way trips to NYC.

Original review: June 10, 2018

On 6/7/2018 I used my Uber gift card to try to book a ride. As I was booking my ride it depleted my gift card of $45. I was left with $4.71 in my account. And then it asked me to confirm: I did and it said "oops something went wrong. You don't have enough credits. Use another payment method." I have been trying to get my $45 returned to me and they won't respond to my emails. NOTE: this was my 2nd time trying to use Uber and it completely failed. Not only did I not receive their services. They CHARGED ME and won't return any emails. I was LATE for work!

Original review: June 10, 2018

Uber to and From McCarren International Las Vegas - The driver sat in front of the wrong house and I had to go retrieve him. I was charged a waiting fee!! On my return home from a trip using UBER. The fare was much greater, the driver took about 20 minutes to arrive and then drove a bizarre route taking an extra 15 minutes!! They say the fee was the same however the fee was based on the distance from the airport to my home. I will not use UBER again.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Friday - June 8th, 2018 - Uber SUCKS… Big Tim!!! This has happened last year also. Today, early morning, I loaded another $50.00 on my Uber Account (but the app did not even show the two cards I loaded, or my previous balance, which was almost $100.00), around 7:00 a.m. Around noon I tried to get an Uber Ride, but the Uber app would NOT acknowledge me!!! The app kept asking me if I wanted to open an Uber Account, but I already have one, and I know my log-in perfectly.

There is NO Customer Service phone number or E-mail Address!!! WTF kind of Customer Service is that!!! Uber > YOU SUCK Big Time!!! I wanted to use up my Uber Credit, but I cannot depend on Uber to even get a ride!!! Late for work, late for doctor's appointments!!! Lyft will continue to be my BEST ride service!!! Uber gets a Big FAT > Zero Rating. Get your act together Uber > You SUCK!!!

Last year the same thing happened when I tried to get a ride, but Uber app did NOT even acknowledge me!!! I had over $150.00 (US) on my Uber account, but could not get a ride. Error message said something was wrong with my bank account, but there was nothing wrong with my bank account!!! Uber Sucks Big Time!!! The absolute WORST Customer Service in my life (and I've seen some pretty bad customer service)... They have NO Customer Service!!! Can't get any worse than that, can you!!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

I took Uber in France Nice yesterday twice and they charged my credit card six times. I am in shock. As I am on holidays I can’t cancel my card. Needless to say I won’t be using them again. I don’t know what they are trying to get away with but suffice to say I shall get the charges reversed and never use them again. What is the world coming to whereby this is a common business practice? Do yourself a favor... don’t use Uber. Lots of other choices.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My first time using Uber for transportation went very badly. I was all set to be picked up and received a message to get ready for pick up. So, I go out and wait in the drive for my pickup. But no one ever came... So I went back to check my trip information and it was all erased as if it had never been scheduled. It is so wrong to treat people like this.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I took Uber twice this weekend and both times the driver cancelled the trips before they got to me. When I asked for a refund they said it would be coming in 3-5 business days, yet it’s been a week and I still have not received my money back. I’m out $30 because of this company and their terrible customer service. Just use Lyft for a way better experience.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I FEEL DEFRAUDED BY UBER! Today, I did Uber express for $2.78. The map to walk to the pickup point was COVERED IN UBER NOTICES plus what little of the map I could see lacked any street names next to me, nor did uber provide directions on where to walk, nor were the dots accurate (perhaps it wanted me to use the backdoor because those dots sure didn't make sense walking out the front door) and Uber did NOT provide an exact physical address for me to google. Worst, is uber provides NO WAY TO CONTACT THEM and now uber charges me a $5 cancellation fee for a $2.78 ride? Seriously - this IS fraudulent! I'm reporting this to the DC & Florida attorney general's and I will NOT use uber again until this is resolved in person by a real live uber person. Get a clue uber - This does not work but I will to make sure you do not do this to others or me again!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Check your bill, if you take different trips write it down and what they charge you. We used it to go to work and home. Price should have been the same every day. Monthly bill came and there were several off prices about 6 we found. You call, give them info and 3-4 days later they call and say, "ok, we can deduct it or give you a credit for further rides." Myself, I would have liked to know how they got so screwed up but they offered no explanation for that. A few drivers don't speak English but our drive was easy. Good company. Just ALWAYS CHECKS your bills end of month.

Original review: June 4, 2018

This idiot not only came to pick us up but kept forgiving by, cancelled the pick up on his end where we were not only charged cancellation fee but also the $45 for the trip. Can't get anyone live on the phone!!! By the way... it was our honeymoon!!!

Original review: June 3, 2018

I'm sitting at home watching TV and get two quick messages from my PayPal account saying I used PayPal to pay for two Uber rides one for $100 and one for $68. This was followed by a text from Uber saying I changed my sign in information and password. I immediately changed my PayPal password and tried to log into my Uber account. Of course I couldn't because of the fraud. I am not able to get in touch with Uber because the phone number I have goes to a fax machine and I can't get a better number. I can't text them because I can't sign into my account. Any suggestions on what to do??? I cannot fight through PayPal because PayPal said I authorized Uber to use my PayPal account and they can't put a hold on the money. Again, any solutions are appreciated!

Original review: June 3, 2018

Uber was charge my credit card for a ride that I never booked. I was sitting in home and a Uber driver called somewhere in MN saying that he is waiting for me. So surprise and I told him that I never want any ride, he hung up and I received an email that Uber charge me for cancel the service. That is a setup somewhere to steal my money. I got credit to my next ride, but not to my credit card. Shame on you, Uber.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I live in a rural area. Lyft does not serve this area at all and Uber requires up to 1 hour wait to get an Uber car to me. When traveling 15 miles or less a taxi is not only more convenient, quicker but only $2 or $3 more than Uber or Lyft.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Yesterday Uber had charged me $43.70 for 20 minutes 8.1 miles long drive that we were making two times a week for the past 2 years and usually costed us $18-21. I have contacted Uber and they claim that the charge is justified because it happened during alleged peak hours and after back and forth correspondence offered to credit me back 25% of that charge, which is still way too high. Let us run the numbers. Effectively, what Uber is trying to say by defending this charge of $43.70 for 20 minute 8.1 miles long ride is that your driver is making $131.10/hour that would translate into $272,480 annual salary!!! Really? An executive salary for the taxi drivers and you are expecting the general public to believe this nonsense!?! Which percent of this revenue the driver is actually going to see?

With all due respect, everybody knows how much Uber drivers are making and it is nowhere close to the figure calculated above. This is a pure profit for corporate Uber not a stayed “incentive” to its drivers. We were making the same identical ride for over two years and the price increased from $15 - to up to $21, which could be justified by gas prices fluctuations. Yesterday, during the same time Uber was giving me a lower rate for a direct ride from my office in a neighboring state for 3 times longer trip for the same destination. Uber needs to stop ripping off its customers!!! This is a sure way to destroy company business reputation and consequently to lose business.

The ONLY reason to why people are using Uber is a perceived superior value compared to the competition to the end customer, this is what their entire business model is based on. The company should NOT use “peak hour argument” to justify ridiculous charges! I hope this review is helpful for customers who had similar experiences. Be very careful about recent unjustified ridiculously high prices.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I usually purchase a Uber Gift Card to run weekly errands as Uber. The reason why I use that method was because every time I used my bank card Uber puts a ridiculous hold on my card causing my bank account to be overdrawn. To combat that issue I started purchasing the Uber Gift Card. This past weekend, I was preparing to go grocery shopping and tried requesting for an Uber using my gift card credit. This was a short trip literally 4 blocks at that. I received a message saying try a new payment method, so I said I will add another Uber gift card. That didn't work, so I called a local cab to pick up me up and take me to the store. I thought it may have been an issue with the application, so I went on shopping. I had already placed money on the gift card and wanted to use it to get back home. Another message advising me I must add a new payment method.

At that point I was furious because my bank card was not working. I eventually had to use Lyft as my groceries were melting in the 93 degree heat. I sent numerous messages on Sunday and they continue to give me these lame feedback. I have requested for a refund. Nothing digital. A check because I have 50 dollars credit in Uber I cannot use.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Be careful when using Uber. My daughter injured her foot/ankle and had ice on it during her ride. She left behind water on the floor and was charged a $150 "clean-up fee" two days later for a $5 trip. The driver did not mention that she "damaged" his car and had to charge her an add'l $150. And, the only way to reach Uber is through email. Just sad that Uber drivers can rip people off so easily. I suggest you take pictures of the interior car before and after ride.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have used Uber often to get to airport. I used it today to get home, and noticed price they quoted was high. Double. I booked it 'cause after checking all Uber options. I asked driver why so high and he said should be normal and that's all he was getting from Uber. Emailed them numerous times and didn't give me a reason why they estimated so high and refused to change charge. I keep email them and have stopped responding to me. I will keep going.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My first time ordering was GREAT! Ordered from McDonald’s. With normal traffic it takes 7-9 mins from my place. First time food was mediocre warm but I do expected that. Driver was great, friendly and for price I thought, "Yep. I’ll be using this, though I wish they had more food choices for our area." Placed order on 3/22 at 2:46 pm. Food delivered 3:20 and as I said mediocre warm (as I expected so no biggy). My latest order on 5/28/18 I placed order same restaurant at 9:01 pm food was delivered at 9:27 pm so 26 mins later versus the 32 mins from 1st order and the food was cold as if it came out of fridge.

Now norm I would blame restaurant but issue is not only was food cold the bags felt as if they had been in a fridge. I honestly believe the driver had the food sitting in direct contact with her AC as it was in the 90s that day. When I complained to Uber Eats' customer service I was told to rate restaurant but I tried 4x to explain I don’t believe it was restaurant's error due to bags being cold that I believed it was driver. I was then accused 2x of wanting free food/refund WHICH AT NO TIME DID I ASK FOR SUCH!!! What’s the point of customer service and a category “issues with my food” if only answer they have is rate the restaurant/driver! So I’ll be using OrangeCrate etc and good luck to anyone. Hope you have a better experience.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I began using Uber in February 2018 for travel from home to Philadelphia airport. The price for the first trip was $43.39. I just tried to schedule a pickup for Tuesday morning at 545 am the time I usually travel and the Uber X (which I always take) is $82.00. This price has continually gone up over 4 months. Uber is no longer a viable option for me.

Original review: May 28, 2018

My wife decided to start driving for Uber and Lyft this summer as a means of earning a small amount of additional income. Sadly she's been made to realize this was a major mistake. At least on the Uber side of things. We live in Tucson, Arizona, and on the Uber site it states that our city has no fee associated with vehicle inspection. However, after signing up and getting all her ducks in a row she came to find that her account had a negative -$20 balance. She has since called five times and been told each time that she will be credited within 24 to 72 hours. She's even gotten emails indicating this will occur. Yet here we are two weeks later and nothing has happened.

She feels dumb since she's given rides for the company and realizes these were at her own expense since it seems they will never be crediting her for their own internal error. I'm deeply enraged by this subject as my wife deserves to be treated as an outstanding employee and shouldn't have to call Uber several times without them taking action to help her out of an issue that was in no way created due to fault of her own. If someone from Uber reads these please contact us to correct the above complaint.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I used Uber two years ago in Philly multiple times and never had a problem. Had no need to use them again until the third week in May 2018. Logged into the app and scheduled a ride. Everything went well and the driver arrived as expected. I took my ride, tipped the driver in cash (who was very nice and polite) and thought that was the end of it. When I got my emailed receipt, the ride was $10 more than it should have been! I contacted Uber through email to resolve and they claimed that I chose the "Uber XL" trip, which was more $$ (I have to assume because my driver came in a newer Cadillac Escalade?), but I ABSOLUTELY did NOT choose that ride option when I booked it. I remember seeing it as an option, but that's not what I wanted nor chose.

I sent them emails THREE TIMES explaining that I never chose that more expensive option but they could CARE LESS... I explained that even if I HAD chosen the wrong trip, the right thing to do (to keep a customer happy) would be to refund me anyway, but they simply REFUSED... I even told them that I was going to share my experiences with Uber online, but it mattered NOT to them. So here we are... As evidenced by the other bad reviews, I am clearly not alone.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I had Uber drive me about one mile distance to pick up my car from repairs. It wasn't the first time I rode Uber but this time I was told to take the rear seat against my protests. C'mon now, I'm just a little old lady. Would do no harm sitting in front. I was unable to fasten my seatbelt as it just won't go it. Meanwhile the car was already moving so I had no choice. I guess the driver didn't care about their passenger's safety. Next time will try Lyft. I have no order number on hand as this ride was arranged by the auto repair shop. I don't own a smartphone. The ride took place on May 25 in the afternoon.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Me and my wife and our son recently visited Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. While we got an Uber to a popular night spot approximately 15 min from our hotel. I thought the price was a little high going there, $30.00, but to my amazement, that was just their advertised price, to get back from the same spot, the price jumped to $65.00, more than double for the same distance. That's why we started using Uber several years ago to get away from the price gouging cab drivers, but now looks like Uber is the ones we need to be leery of. I will not be using Uber again. Try Lyft, same ride for $20.00. Shame on you Uber.

Uber expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2009, Uber launched its rideshare app service in 2010. Uber’s easy-to-use app lets consumers connect with drivers in over 500 cities worldwide.

• Uber car options: Uber’s Economy, Premium and Accessibility options allow consumers to choose the vehicle that best fits their needs, whether they want small cars for quick routes or luxury cars driven by professionals.

• Uber for Business: Businesses can enroll in Uber for Business, a ride management platform that allows small or large companies to monitor employees’ travel expenses.

• Uber deliveries: Uber also has delivery services. Businesses can use UberRush to deliver products to customers, and participating restaurants can use UberEats for their food delivery service.

• UberPOOL: UberPOOL allows consumers to share their ride with others to save money. Requesting UberPOOL matches consumers with others traveling in the same direction and splits the fares between them.

• Self-driving car research: In 2015 Uber announced their collaboration with Carnegie Melon to explore the potential for self-driving cars. As of 2016, Uber is performing its research and testing in Pittsburgh.

• Best for: Uber is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in large cities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs