1.13/5

Looking for a travel site?

Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Looking for a travel site?

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Reviews

Original review: May 16, 2018

I called to book a hotel vacation several months out with my points. The sales associated booked the wrong weekend - and booked the upcoming weekend. The hotel (Westin Napa) automatically charged me $390 when I didn't show up (of course I didn't realize because I thought it was booked for the future). Since that weekend, I have spent over 5 hours on the phone with Starwood trying to get a refund. They have horrible customer service. Call #1: After speaking to the associate for 1 hour, she told me she had to listen to the original call before giving me a credit. They said they would email me to inform me the outcome. No Call.

Call #2: I called back the next week. Had to wait and speak to another associate 1 hour. She said they listened to the call and the associate made a mistake. I was due a credit, they would request it. Call #3: I called back 1.5 months later. Had to wait and speak to another associate + supervisor 1 hour. They had to ask the "Conflict Resolutions Center" to pay me as there was no credit of an issue. However I could not call or email this "conflict resolutions center". They would get back to me with the outcome in 72 hours. Call #4: I called back 2 weeks later. They had taken no action against my dispute and said it was still under investigation. Essentially they fraudulently charged my card and then are refusing to refund me. SHAME ON THEM.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have owned a timeshare with Starwood for 17 years and another one for 7 years which I was pressured into right after my husband died. Seriously, this company preys on vulnerable, they have various levels of heavy duty personnel at the timeshare meetings which they say are required and promise free gifts, which are bogus... A coupon book none of which we use. These people trade off each other from hard-harder-hardest sell. They made me so angry. I can NEVER get a vacation when I want it. There is NEVER a resort available when I call, except once in a while at Vistana in Orlando but how many times can I go there. Last year I wanted to take my children during Easter vacation. We wound up in Mexico on the Riviera Maya, I spent over $10,000 on this trip...

Nowhere way was my timeshare used, in fact they had the audacity to try to sell me to a different Timeshare company when I got there. It cost $185 PER PERSON for food PER DAY. That's $740 per day for food for me and 3 kids under the age of 16 and half the time we were off the property for excursions and were still charged. The room had a pull out couch HA - there were three foam mattresses on it and a board - I wanted to get a reduction in the price of the food & room from management the first night. There was one bed for the 4 of us, after a long trip, no help... Again bait and switch, no authority at the property to help out, they have to check with each other and then more people all the time - it is a comical... "If you can't dazzle them you baffle them with **."

I was in tears! Horrible people. Again the Timeshare company bait and switch you to other different companies they partner with and claim they work with the my timeshare. I bought the second timeshare because they said that I could use my timeshare at Harborside in Atlantis. I have tried a dozen times to use my timeshare in Atlantis to no avail. I feel like I just spend money year after year. I should have a home in Orlando for what I have paid! No one monitors the accounts unless you owe money. Weeks expire and no one contacts you. But if you miss a payment they HAWK you to no end and threaten to put a lien on your property.

One year in Orlando shortly after my husband died, I decided to stay a few extra days, and told them I would pay on my exit, well next thing I knew there was a security guard at the door telling me I had to vacate the property because I didn't pay or he would call the POLICE. My triplets were 9 years old. It was a devastating experience. I wish us owners could create a class-action suit against them for false representation. There has to be an attorney among us. You need half a day to a full day on the phone to book a vacation and good luck trying to figure out the website.

Properties are second-third rate, the staff is poor, the rooms are poor! I give them minus 5 stars, I would Never recommend this company. Good luck trying to plan a vacation with them... The absolute worst customer service, there really is none. They just want your money, criminals/thieves. You pay, pay, pay but they don't deliver. They keep adding other companies/hotels, points etc. and changing their name and still do not provide in any way what they promise... Do not recommend!

Original review: April 7, 2018

BEWARE when dealing with this company is inflexible when an owner has a request. I hoped to make a holiday reservation. Although I pay nearly $2,000 annually in fees, I could not do that except for maybe closer to the holidays if there is something available then. When personal commitments came up, I was not allowed on April 7, 2018, to convert to hotel points, because I did not realize the deadline was March 31, 2018, and there is ZERO flexibility. According to Tanya in Resolution Services, I could pay more money to bank my Starpoints for a future year. Unfortunately, they do not have locations near my home and each use of Starpoints involves a lot of travel.

Original review: March 3, 2018

When we joined Starwood Vacation Ownership we were told we could travel anywhere in their system. My husband died suddenly and I was unable to function for quite awhile so I did not get any mail. I lost the ability to travel other places due to this. I am now only allowed to visit my home resort and they are booked. I think I need to see an attorney. Stay away from this Timeshare. I thought it was reputable since Sheraton has a good name. They have way more owners than available room. It is a big ripoff. I am very disappointed in Sheraton.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My name is Rebecca ** and I stayed there this Saturday night. There were numerous problems with my family's stay. The pool was ice cold and the Jacuzzi was ice cold as well. My kids complained and we couldn’t use the pool. It was way too cold. We then went to the spa and that was cold as well. This was one of the reasons why we booked the hotel. Due to the construction there was junk and debris in the hallways where we could’ve been injured. The air quality was bad inside due to the dust of construction. Our car in the parking structure was covered in cement debris and dirt... fine scratches on our windshield now. The elevator in the parking structure was not working and we had to carry several luggage up the stairs on the way out. I would like compensation! Outcome: a free room upgrade. Thieves and monsters!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starwood Hotels & Resorts?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My name is Fermin **, married to Aida **, past owners of 2 Time Shares with Vistana Resort. One in Orlando, Fl., and the other in Mountainside, Colorado. In December, 2015 I visited the facilities in Orlando for a 4 day vacation. My wife is being very sick for years. She was not feeling well and we were to attend a presentation from the sales personnel that would take one and half hour. My wife did not wanted to assit but I convinced her to go. The salesman began at 8:15am and my wife was not well enough to follow the presentation. She asked in various occasions to leave. She was almost fainting and the salesperson left for various minutes to return with a bowl of chicken soup so she could stay and finish the presentation almost at midday. To make the story short, we ended up buying a new TS for over $120K.

We left a day short of finishing our vacation because of my wife's medical condition. I had to travel to Puerto Rico that same month and, while there, I called my wife and told her we could not pay over $2000.00 a month for the new TS and she was in agreement with me. I called Vistana to cancel the sale that took place December 23, 2015. For that purchase, after taking the two TS we had for $14,340.00 down payment, we needed $10,661.00 to complete the down payment required. They (VR Administrative Personnel) filled out an American Express application on my wife's name, they approved it and they deducted the $10,661.00 needed for the down payment. When I called and canceled, they told me it had to be in writing. I did it writing, send by fax and the sale was canceled. But they forfeited the $10,661.00 given in cash that I had to pay American Express in one year. That was the agreement.

They returned the two time shares back to us to continue paying for them. I informed them that, since they has taken our money, to apply the money to our debt and keep the two time shares. They did not accepted. We decided not to keep the TS since my wife was too sick to use them. (Since 1996 when I began with Vistana up until 2015 we used the facilities in 4 occassions) All, but one time, they reimbursed us for the rental of the facilities we did not use. We decided not to pay for the TS since we had little use for them. They continue sending collection letters and informing the Credit Bureau of the situation. Finally, in 2016 they send me a letter whereby they accepted to take back the Units. We deeded back the properties to Vistana Resort and thought everything would be ok from then on. It was not.

They only took one, the one that had over $14K accumulated in payments I had made. But, the agreement was to take both units. I thought, when I deeded the property to them, that both TS were included. I looked for Legal Advice and contracted HELP4TimeShare Owners to represent me. They advise me not to answer their calls, not respond to their letters, not to do anything with them. I began following legal instructions. But the letters did not stop and I began answering and asking Vistana to utilize the money they had taken from us to pay for the late payments and to keep the properties we had no use for.

They continue sending collection letters and I began sending them to the Legal Firm I had contracted. I maintained the position that they had to keep both units and, in March, 2017 we deeded to them the TS of Mountainside, Colorado. The Legal Representatives did nothing of value to defend us. They took our money and that was it. Help4timeshares owners are the worst in legal representation for time shares owners. Do not contract with them. To resume, Vistana Resort took me and my wife for over $25,000.00, damaged our credit standing whereby we could not buy a house in Palm Bay, Florida because of the information in their credit reports. It reads: "Deeded to VRC in lieu of foreclosure." And this is something we will have in our financial records for seven years.

I had written to Mr. Joseph **, a management financial officer to, please, take that information back, erase it from our credit standing but he does not answer my communications. Vistana Resort Condominium took my wife and me for over $25k and did not wink an eye even though they knew we are both over seventy years of age. To us, they don't deserve even one star. We advise anyone in the process of negotiating with Vistana Resort not to pursue being their clients. They have little to no respect for the elderly.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I've been receiving emails from these scam artists for years, despite my numerous requests not to be contacted by them. That alone is a crime. Do you want to do business with criminals? That's who you're dealing with if you do business with Starwood Hotels, a bunch of petty criminals.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

It’s supposed to charge 20.000 SPG points in order to get 5.000 AA bonus points. They charging my account 30.000 and I didn’t get any bonus. Contact them and they ignore. I’m closing my account and take my business to other company.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We are Elite Members for over 10 years. We have a reservation at our home resort in Maui this month. We are bringing our family with toddlers. All of a sudden, they will not guarantee us a crib in the room. Our elite status means nothing, plus possible danger to a baby not sleeping in a crib doesn't bother them. So beware. We will probably end our relationship, sell our units and find another timeshare that understands how to give people the value for what they pay for, and protect the well-being of their customers.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

After a recent 15 night stay at the W Bogota and Bogota Colombia, I was shocked for an hour and a half at the bar and the surrounding common seating area to watch unruly severely intoxicated English-speaking guests continue to be served alcohol by the staff while simultaneously being incredibly verbally abusive and sexually harassing one of the waitresses. I stay in hotels over two hundred nights per year, including more than 100 nights at The Ambassador Platinum level with Starwood and I have never witnessed anything so egregious and mishandled in my entire life.

In fact there was no handling of the situation while one of the duty managers and the security staff stood idly by watching and did nothing, while allowing one guest to ruin the dinner relaxation and unimpeded enjoyment of the common areas of the hotel. What was more astounding after IV Emily complained to the very manager that stood by and watched and set a formal complaint to Starwood, which always gets forwarded to the management at the local property, I was shocked to receive a letter from the general manager at the W Hotel telling me my contact was not consistent with their guests' conduct and behavior policy and then I was no longer allowed to stay or even physically be on the property.

Shockingly I never ever received a response to my original written complaint that was sent to Starwood customer service. My ambassador nor of course did anyone at the hotel itself managed to even respond or personally contact me. Never in my 40 Years of traveling have I ever once experienced and witnessed such an egregious situation, along with receiving such an insulting and offensive letter, in fact I've never once in my life been accused of any type of behavior as was indicated in the slanderous letter presented by the general manager. Clearly the management of the hotel did not like my formal complaint filed with Starwood and today I still have not received a response from Starwood customer service regarding my original complaint nor my complaint regarding this letter received from the W Bogota hotel management.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Company Information