Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I am a platinum member. Husband tried to check in at the front desk by giving my ID, Spg credit card and his ID. Front desk asked that I check in for security purposes. No problem. I was with my son in the car and was just waiting until my husband comes back because the baby was sleeping. We went to the front desk so that they can confirm I was present. Then we were issued the keys to the room. We followed proper protocol. My husband commented, "Security here should be as strict as the border." Front desk manager says, "Are you being racist?" To my disgust, how is this front desk professional trained to treat customers? Note: my husband is ** and I am Asian. The front desk manager is Latino.

To loosely use this word as if border security/illegal immigration is a race issue is not acceptable. Illegal immigration is about the law. We don't care if you are **, **, Chinese, middle eastern, Mexican, European. It is not even about that. She was a representative of the hotel. She may not like the comment but how dare you bring up the race card when he is **. She has not suffered like slaves did. Moreover, I am Asian. I was a legal immigrant. My family had to wait 21 years to get here legally and then 10 more years to get citizenship. We paid taxes, did not steal anyone's identity, commit fraud or violated the law. We served the military, in which the culture is open to diversity and we are not allowed to have freedom of speech because we represent the military. The manager and the front desk did not even apologize for the behavior.

I complained with consumer services. They were quick to label the comment as inappropriate but condones the employee's question of racism. If your coworkers asks you that question, you would be at the EEO office by now. Instead, we were told that the question did not mean or intended to be offensive. Wow! Really? Asking someone if they were racist, is not offensive? If every sexual harasser says that, "Oh my comment about sex did not intend to be offensive", where would that leave the person receiving the message? It is the person's perception that the message was offensive. In this case, this front desk supervisor got offended about security at the border??? Of following and enforcing the law???

And her asking a ** person of being racist, is not offensive??? Are you kidding me, Starwood Hotel? I asked for a Consumer Affairs case to be created, they did but Starwood closed the case without informing me. Moreover, I wanted to ask for the transcripts of everything pertaining to the case since it was my case.. this included the correspondence and whatever the hotel and the representative wrote. I was not allowed to get the transcript of the case. I wanted to be read the verbatim entries of the case but was not given that information either. Basically from the verbal summary I got from their representatives, I already can pinpoint lies and false information from the Starwood personnel, front the hotel manager all the way to the consumer rep we spoke to. Not a single one of them addressed the behavior and language used by the employee.

This disrespectful unprofessional language cannot be used so loosely. I know people hear all the time calling the president, a racist but being that we were in the military, we respect the president because he is our commander in chief, regardless if we agree with his views or not. We respect other's differing opinions but we don't call each other the ** word, ** word or ask someone if they are racist. That is inappropriate! This question was infuriating because the question itself is a statement. You would not ask a lesbian if she was lesbian, unless the person asking the question already assumes she was lesbian. This front desk supervisor, by virtue of her question was accusatory. The insensitivity and audacity to use the race card was beyond me.

Has she been segregated from ** and **? Has she been told to go to a different bathroom? Has she been whipped? Was she forced to come to this country and work for free? Has she been "owned" by a master? You see, she was quick to use "racism" without realizing the hurtful history behind this word and claim as if she experienced racial discrimination. If someone knows how I could write a letter to the Marriott CEO or COO, please let me know.

I was making a reservation and found that I needed more star points to complete my reservation. I purchased the points online (the only allowed way). I was unable to get my desired reservation and DID not need the points any longer. I called SPG, spoke to agent and mgr. and was told I could not reverse my purchase of star points, only minutes after completing transaction. This is a rude policy as were the representatives when explaining the policy to me. Neither person used the word sorry, way too stern and business-like. This is a vacation for goodness sakes! Thanks for spoiling it for me and my family!

On my vacation to Cancun in Christmas 2014, I bought a timeshare from Starwood Vacation Properties. I found, once I signed up, that my week was in October for the Westin Lagunamar (my home property). Due to that being in the middle of hurricane season, I felt immediately taken. As I got over that and started looking into actually using my timeshare, I found that the ONLY answer I received in regard to booking vacations, converting Star Options into Starwood hotel points, etc. was a resounding NO. I still pay for this, including the $1500 per year HOA fees. You might think that I am a fool for having done this and I cannot disagree.

Starwood Properties has certain windows in which to book vacations, convert Star Options etc. and if you miss them, you are screwed. There is no flexibility at all from the timeshare company. You also end up with a Vistana membership and an Interval International membership. Both are so complex that the time spent trying to come up with a good family vacation option is better spent elsewhere. Finally, you are charged exorbitant rates for booking vacations and converting Star Options when I am sure that all that is required is a few clicks of the mouse.

I hate that I bought this timeshare from this company. As a person pushing Platinum for life, due to my frequent business travel to Starwood hotels, I actually thought of pursuing hotel benefits from a different company, I.e. IHG, Marriott, Hilton etc. However, I am Gold for life currently and the golden handcuffs are locked in so I did not do it.

I never write reviews but my experience with this company has been entirely money out of my pocket with no visible benefit, especially if I miss any of the aforementioned windows to book or convert options. I am writing this review to any who read it... DO NOT BUY A TIMESHARE FROM THIS COMPANY. You do so at your own peril and will need someone to keep track of when you can actually do anything, I.e. book, convert etc. I have my wife do it for me. She actually has dates throughout the year that she keeps in my office so I can be reminded to act when Starwood requires me to. If you don't act within the window, you are screwed. Please do not buy a timeshare from Starwood. You get nothing for it except a possible vacation during hurricane season and they provide no education on how to manage this timeshare. Finally a question: Why doesn't Starwood help you with this?

Myself and my wife we had booked a room in Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi on 17-6-2017. Our check out was on the very next day. The next day I informed the front office that I will do my check out by 2 pm. They agreed and while we were getting ready inside our room a staff from the housekeeping had entered our room using his floor key. He had rang the bell and at the same time he entered. Is this the standard of Starwood Hotels? Without getting any proper consent of the guest who is staying inside the room. How a staff can do this? We were not properly done our dressing.

When I went down and I told the front office manager about the incident. He is offering me complimentary voucher. For an incident like this when a customer is really wounded and irritated. What did he think about himself me and my wife is a show piece or what? A staff of the hotel entering into the guest room without their consent and then when complaining we have been offered with complimentary vouchers. No wonder the front office manager itself doesn't know how to deal or to solve customer complaints and he doesn't know what and when to talk. Totally it's a shame and a ridiculous experience with the hotel. And it's really pity that the brand name of the hotel is Le Meridien and it's been managed by Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Losing the respect and confidence of the brand.

I stayed at the Westin Las Vegas back in March. Our first night there we were unable to sleep due to our loud neighbors but since we were in Vegas and it being the first night we let it slide. Since I wasn't able to sleep that Friday night I decided to go up during the day and take a nap well. As soon as I get to my room I realize I'm probably not going to be able to sleep since my neighbors were already being loud. I called the front desk, explained the situation and asked if we could please be moved. They advised they couldn't do so because they were completely sold out. So I attempt going to sleep again since it seems some people left the room and the noise level had gone down. Unfortunately only a few minutes go by when I hear a female in the room start talking very loudly. She was starting to argue with someone in the room but you never heard of a response instead you heard get louder and louder and starts yelling and crying.

At this point I am very shaken up and go out to the hallway and other neighbors and I start knocking and yelling at them to please open the door to make sure she was ok. The girl opens the door and runs to the elevator where I guess another male guest attempted to calm her down. Two males emerge from the room at this point and one of them had scratches all over his face and neck that the girl gave him. At this point one of the male neighbors thought this guy had beat up the girl so was trying to fight him in the hallway. If it wasn't for security it could have ended really bad! At this point I am shaking from everything and trying to relax because my PTSD started kicking in. I go speak to the manager and he said he was well aware of the situation and that he would most likely get them escorted off the property since it was a huge scene.

At this point I don't feel safe going back to my room so I waited for about an hour and a half to go back up but when my friend and I are back in my room we notice that the guests that created this whole situation were still there. At this point we just got ready for our evening activities and took off. That night I had to call a friend that lives nearby and asked if we could spend the night there since we didn't feel safe at the hotel. I filed a complaint with the SPG online team and the following morning I had received a message saying management needed to talk to me about our stay. When I spoke to manager she wasn't aware of the situation so I had to repeat my story to her. She advised that the guests weren't escorted off most likely because the male guest is the son of one of the Westin's employees.

She advised that she would waive two nights from our three night stay and we should only be paying about $176.80 and will be crediting my account with 5,000 points. Well of course to our surprise we had to pay for two nights and no points. Once I escalated it they all kept saying something else and that they couldn't get a hold of the manager I spoke to. I spoke with SPG's corporate team a few times and was supposed to get a phone call back but until this day I have yet to receive a phone call from them. This stay completely ruined my trip and instead of relaxing I found myself going back home even more stressed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starwood Hotels & Resorts?

SPG is such a poorly run company from an IT standpoint that they seem to think that their customers should call in and ask, "why can't I log in to my account", over and over and over again. Well, no more. I am not staying again at an SPG hotel, nor a Marriott. They tell you to clear your cache to change your password, even when your password doesn't need changing. Then, you are told that they have been having problems. You can't copy and paste a temporary password either. You need to enter one character at a time... and then it doesn't work anyway. What a joker organization. Fire your IT head and fix your problems from the top down. This isn't an isolated incident and is a complete waste of a customer's time.

I stayed at Le Meridien Pyramids Cairo for 3 nights as part of a Trafalgar tour of Egypt. Room was nothing special, paint, walls and bathroom showed a LOT of use. Pool was the most fabulous thing I ever saw but unfortunately it was closed for repairs (which was stated on the website and I had noticed it). Breakfast buffet had great choices and the hotel was not super busy but cleaning tables and clean plates seemed to be slow. Looked like they needed more staff. Two nights I had dinner in a small eating area and the waiter did not even manage a smile let alone be pleasant. (food was very good) My best experience there was with one of the gift store vendors. Unfortunately I do not know his name but he was extremely helpful and pleasant and what I bought from him was really the highlight of shopping for my trip. I know tour companies try to make the best arrangements for their people but I would not have considered this a 4 star hotel.

STARWOOD REWARDS now has a policy that they will remove your points without notice if you don't stay at one of their properties within 12 months. I just discovered that they removed my points in 2015 for no stay in 12 months without knowing that there was such a policy. For me, who stayed at and earned points over a 30 year period at Sheraton and Westin before Starwood existed when there was no expiration amounts to the hotel chain stealing the points that you earned when there was no expiration date. The 12 month time period insures that non-business travelers will never accumulate enough points to cash in their rewards before they expire. This deserves government intervention and a very hefty fine with compensation to the Starwoods members that they have mistreated. I recommend boycotting them.

The management at this hotel must be the worst I have ever experienced. Below please see a summary of my ongoing ordeal. Backstory: I am a business traveler that stayed at Marriott Hotels over the last 20 years. Three years ago I started my own company and switched to Starwood hotels. One can imagine how pleased I was to learn the two companies merged.

ALOFT SAN FRANCISCO AIRPORT. Last September (2016) I booked a last minute stay at this hotel using points. The room probably available using points because I flying in right after Labor Day. I call in less than 24 hours to cancel my room. I explained that I had a family emergency (father-in-law) and will be flying in for a day trip versus staying over night. Whomever took the cancellation was very polite.

I called about returning the points based on the fact it was a family emergency. I was asked to provide MEDICAL RECORDS of my father-in-law for proof. I explained that is an unacceptable request but that I would send proof of my last minute change of flight. My father-in-law was in ICU at this point and I was not going to ask my husband or his brothers for these documents. He later died.

I continued to complain up to the GM. I noticed a few days later the Starwood points used for the room were returned to my account. I thought the issue had been resolved. When my next credit card bill arrived I saw Aloft charged my credit card for 2-nights! In lieu of keeping the points for late cancellation of ONE night because of a family emergency, they credited my points but then turned around and charged my credit card for over $850. I am still dealing with this with my credit card.

On January 7, 2017, I needed to stay at the Sheraton Duffield St, in Brooklyn, NY to attend a funeral of a close friend. I explained before making the reservation that I was using a relative's credit card. The person said that was fine, I would be required to fill out a third party credit card authorization form, to which I agreed. He then charged the card for the room and I thought I was all set. I had to call back three times to ask why I had not received the credit card authorization form. On the third time I was told that it would take 24 to 48 hours to receive the form. I then told the representative that I was attending a funeral and that I was told that I would receive it momentarily. Livid, I hung up and called the hotel directly. I explained the situation to the Manager named Karen, who could care less that I was attending a funeral and that I had been given the wrong information.

Karen told me that the Brooklyn location does not accept third party credit card authorizations, except for corporate reservations. I asked Karen why they did not accept third party credit card authorization forms when I was told they did, and if they didn't why did the representative charge the credit card. Karen at that point said she didn't know and basically tried to rush me off the phone and told me to call the reservations line and ask them. I then called customer service and explained to them what happened. I was placed on hold and told that what Karen the manager had told me was untrue and would be investigated because they could find any such rule in their policies. I was then told to call the hotel back directly and explain to them what I had just been told. Again, I asked to speak to Karen and this time was placed on hold and then disconnected.

I called the customer service number back and this time spoke to someone named Will. He informed me that he would investigate the matter and call me back. Approximately twenty minutes later he called me back and told me that I was told that location did not accept third party credit authorizations. I explained to him that was untrue. I told him that from the onset of the reservation it had been explained that I was using a relative's card. If I was told that they do not accept third party authorizations why would I make the reservation. Will told me as a way to get around this to get a prepaid card for the hotel amount, and that should be fine.

Upon arrival at the hotel (in the middle of a snow storm, and trying to make the funeral), I presented the prepaid card and was then told that it could not be used because it did not have my name on it. Horrified I explained to the person at the desk that I was told this would be acceptable for payment. Another manager came over and told me the only way to get around this would be to cancel my current reservation and re-book using Expedia, and use the prepaid card with Expedia and the other card for incidentals. Ultimately, I wound up traveling back home in the snow with my bags and dog because the amount from Expedia was more than I had on the prepaid card because my initial reservation was on the Sheraton website.

I stayed at a W hotel and had a lot a bad experience. The hotel room was never cleaned and was dirty. They gave us a room we didn't request and the bartender was lying giving my husband a low end brand charging for top shelf. When my husband questioned him he shoved a bottle in his face. I called hotel and a Jose manager told me he would call Starwood and get my 15,000 points back I used to secure this hotel. Starwood would only give me 1,500 so I wrote the BBB and called corporate but an associate at Starwood was so ignorant and mean she put a block on my account and will not let anyone help me. I called and a Melissa was so rude. She said "you called several times and we are not helping you" and was so rude. It's not worth doing anything with this company. They have such a bad record with the BBB and they don't care. No customer service!!! Stay away. They refuse to help.

I just want to say that this membership for SPG does not really counts. My husband and I were trying to get a room at JFK Airport Sheraton on July 3. I called if we could request for an early check-in and leave the same day at around 6 pm and we are still willing to pay the one-night rate. I told the reservation office that we only use it to rest and sleep for a few hours because of our flight layover. Unfortunately, they do not have an exclusive rules for early check-in for the members of Starwood "Preferred" Guests and no guarantee for it. No matter who you called even a supervisor at SPG, they said the same thing. I cancelled the membership because it is only a WASTE of my time. I was disappointed with my latest experience. Their customer service, leadership, and reservations skills are not adaptable, not focus on customers' concerns, therefore it is not favorable to us and it leads us to a very dissatisfied experience.

So beware of this memberships, vacation deals, etc... If you do not use your points, you will lose it because it expires. If you have at least 2,500 or more use it right away otherwise you wasted it. It is like SCAMMING people. The last hotel we stayed in was at the Cerritos Sheraton Hotel. The room did not have a refrigerator and a safe. Although, the towels were very good, clean and white like new. Overall, it was only a very simple room. I am no longer interested with Sheraton or Starwood Preferred Guests as there are so many other nice hotels out there with good customer service.

I first called customer service to make a reservation for an upcoming hotel stay. I explicitly told the agent I needed a suite for 3 adult guests. The agent provided me with a rate I was satisfied with, so I decided to book and provided her with my credit card information. After finishing the call I received a confirmation email that only accounted for 2 guests, but the initial rate we had agreed upon. I called customer service once again to have that corrected. A different agent picked up the phone this time. He said that he was going to charge me extra for the third guest. I explained to him that I'd explicitly told the first agent I had 3 guests and even so, she had provided me with that initial rate and didn't mention anything about an extra fee for a third guest.

While waiting on the phone to speak with the manager, the agent just went ahead and charged the extra fee on my card without my consent, even after I'd explained to him that I had not been told about the extra charge when I gave them my card information. The manager, after taking a long time to assist me, proved to be extremely rude and inefficient. I told him the name of the first agent and asked him to verify with her, or put her on the line. He curtly refused to do that. I still have not resolved this issue as he told me to call the next day because there was nothing he could do.

We have been owners since 2005. Adding a property in 2012 in Cancun. Don't get me wrong, the properties are great. The company and website and services are about as bad as it gets. We are "Elite" members and are not able to book the facilities we paid for most of the time we'd like to. The new Vistana website is the worst, and very unusable. We've tried for over 1 1/2 years to get our properties (my wife's and mine) linked with the points and such, but they still can't do it. We've sent faxes and talked for over 10 hours on the phone with the company. They solve small problems, but the big issues are piling up and the company is becoming a mess of rules and difficulties in booking. Timeshares on the whole are a nightmare, and Vistana/Starwood is no exception. We are very dissatisfied but have no recourse but to put online reviews out to warn others.

One of the selling points to becoming a Starwood Owner is receiving Gold level SPG consideration when booking hotels. Also, we were told no blackout dates, and we get club level access. What I'm experiencing now at a hotel I have stayed at in the past (Memphis downtown) is no club level unless you pay, no regard for Gold status, but NOW I can't even get a room at the hotel unless I pay, no allowed access period to club or lounge, and on the special promotion just offered by SPG, for triple points on Friday night, guess what? Friday is "blacked out!" I bring my wife here for medical every year, and this is unbelievable.

As far as the ownership goes, I have experienced all the same things previous writers have. My fees (not tax) is $1200! Also, I can't ever get what I want, and I was told being Platinum, I could book anytime. BUT, after a certain date, you are behind people off the street. Last year My family was stuck in a handicap room with broken furniture, wrong type chairs to sit at the table, loose dishwasher, and a counter that nothing could fit on. The Majority of appliances were in drawers! I was told they would erase some charges to make up for it, and after I returned home, they put them back on my card!

I rarely write reviews but my experience with Starwood Vacation Ownership has been awful. If you ever visit one of their hotels as we did and get bamboozled into going to the sales centre and buying into this "amazing, cost-effective, flexible" vacation ownership - RUN, DON'T WALK TO THE EXIT!!! Do not believe what they say no matter how nice the salesperson is and what they promise!!!!

IF YOU ARE TEMPTED OR PRESSURED... TELL THEM YOU NEED YOUR LAWYER TO LOOK AT IT BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING!!! It is an absolute scam. We bought timeshare that we should use every second year... And were lied to about the fees involved. We pay EVERY YEAR approx $1000 with fees going up by a lot every year and all kinds of extra fees thrown in. Trying to book a place... Impossible to get what you want, where you want. Plus they don't tell you about all the rules (must be over weekend, 7 days only, etc, etc, etc) which make it impossible to use what you are paying for. As one of the other reviewers shared, we missed the date when you were supposed to "roll over" the points we did not use due to my husband's very serious illness and their "Resolution Dept" is a joke... Actually an extension of the vulture-like tactics they use at the sales centres.

Once they have sucked you in, they simply take advantage of their position to squeeze the life out of your wallet while offering nothing for their owners so don't expect any resolutions if you have any issues other than the choice of which credit card you want to use for the never-ending fees and new charges and rules they come up with. Also note how it is virtually impossible to extricate oneself from these bloodsuckers without incurring even more expense. One of the big selling points they like to use when customers are skeptical of timeshares is the Starwood brand and how reputable they are.

After my experience I am disgusted that Starwood has joined the ranks of timeshare scammers. I will go out of my way to avoid all Starwood properties as a result. Shame on you STARWOOD!!! I hope this helps others out there to be aware and mindful of how awful this company is! I will let as many people as I know about how they operate. When I visit the property, I will make it a point to let all potential customers know exactly what they are trying to suck them into and hopefully prevent them from being scammed.

I have been a Starwood Owner for about 13 years. My advice is stay away. You pay your ever increasing fees and they make it virtually impossible to book the vacation time you want even though they rent out units at that time when renters come in off the street. Their system to book is difficult to use, perhaps on purpose because they already have you as a paid up member but they keep the units for off the street clients and not the owners. At the very best very few units are available to the owners!

This organization has such a tremendous bureaucracy and set of rules built around using their star options and refuse to take any responsibility for their ridiculous system. Their telephone clerks are robots and do not use any common sense when dealing with customers. As a result they literally stole 50,000 options from my account at the end of 2015. I will not buy any additional time from this vacation ownership and I am sorry I bought originally.

I met water flooded in my room. Although, Aloft Hotel staff had misguided me about smoking. After, I had met water flooded in my room, I smoked then they were going on misguide me about smoking. Hotel manager told me that they would measure air of my room then they would give me report. If the air of water flooded room was dirty, they would charge me. Be careful, €100. Hotel manager added if I leave the windows of room, the air of room would clean itself, finally I would not have to pay the penalty. End of story, they charged me. Be careful again, €200 while checking out without show me anything and after I stayed 2 days in open windows room.

After the initial presentation we were unsure if we wanted to purchase or not because it was a last minute decision. They provided us with something called the "explorer package" and stated that we could pay for the package over time and revisit later. It sounded great! So we paid for the 7 night package and due to several depressing life changes including the loss of our grandson and a cancer diagnosis, we were unable to use our package. So after 3 years and a move to NC, we decided that on one of our return trips to Florida we would use it. We were only offered the use of a 4 night stay, but we took it anyway. We were scheduled to re-visit and sit through the presentation again on a Sunday.

Well after 2 nights, we had an unfortunate incident and needed to get back to NC immediately. So I called to try to arrange to change the presentation and was told that it would be fine and I just needed to leave a voice mail with that department and they would get back to me. Well, we didn't hear from anyone and had to check out 2 days early. I asked about it at checkout and was told that it would be fine. Now, 2 weeks after returning home, I find that my debit card has been charged $600 by them without my knowledge. When I called to inquire about it, I was told that it was because we didn't attend the presentation for a 2nd time. That was not in our agreement, nor did I see it in writing. And to make it worse, we had already paid approximately $1500 prior to this stay! We had considered actually continuing with the purchase because we enjoyed it very much, however after this, I don't think I'll ever do business with them again.

I have been an owner at the Sheraton Vistana Resort in Orlando for 15 plus years. On 1/8/2016 I realized that we did not bank our 2015 week... It was clearly an oversight on our part. I thought my husband did it and he thought I did it. So I called Starwood owners association and spoke to Alexis in the Resolution dept. I explained what happened and asked how I can get my week bank. I was basically told "that's too bad, you have now lost your week." I was shocked. I asked for my maintenance fees back and was told no, they are not obligated to return my maintenance fees or reinstate my 2015 week.

I am shock by the lack of customer service I received. No consideration at all for an owner for more than 15 yrs. So I basically gave them $900 for nothing. The lesson I learned was I would have rather not send them the money and had them give my week away than to pay the money and have them take my week away. Do not buy with Starwood. They rip off their customers. I am definitely selling my timeshare. It was much better when it was maintained by Vistana... They knew what customer service was.

After 25 years of great service with Vistana timeshare, Starwood Vacation Network came and took over. I have to say it has been a hassle since we purchased our secondary week in 2009. There are hidden fees everywhere. The original week to be sold to us was not Easter week. So we picked up another week via the Internet for a dollar. Their loss. Yet we pay membership for 3 weeks, they only allow the bi-annual week and charge us a $140.00 yearly fee. They told us there are no extra trading fees. Oh yes, there are. Once you trade with Interval, there are trading fees just like with RCI. Really this fee is more than what RCI charges. Plus then to bring in my original week 3 that I have owned for over 35 years, they charge an additional forty five dollars.

The staff are so arrogant that I am ready to sell all 3 weeks off. They are truly so ignorant when it comes to making a better business plan that they would rather go belly up than to pull my internet week into the program. I pay the taxes and maintenance fees. I am doing them a favor but today they cross the line telling me if I let go of my timeshare they would go after my credit. When I get the chance, I'm moving over to Disney!

I was given a room on Christmas Eve at this hotel next to the bar and restaurant which turned into a very loud noisy party which made sleeping impossible. Manager Deniz acknowledged that he knew this was going to happen but we were never warned that this was going to turn into a bacchanal or we would have stayed either at another hotel or a distant room. Starwood has been absolutely uncooperative in helping me get any consideration for our troubles. The manager thinks by letting me out of my second night reservation that that is compensation enough. It isn't. I would warn other possible guests to be forewarned that the hotel and chain while they think they are high class are no better than Motel 6.

We stayed at the W Hotel in chicago and when we checked into our room it was dirty. They gave me no requests I asked for and one of their employees was ripping off guest by charging them for Gentleman Jack and giving Jack Daniels. When my husband approached them to ask, the w hotel employee shoved the bottle in my husband's face. I asked for my points to be refunded and they said "yes". I called to ask where they are and they said they will not refund. They had a sylvia who would never let me speak with the gm of the hotel. Then they put it in the consumer affairs for Starwood. They refuse now not to give me my points back. No company should treat guests like this!!!

I have contacted the hotel by calling them and one of their customer care employees explained the reasons of the extra charges. I am not satisfied cause the front desk employee did not take the time to explain all the terms of the extra charges clearly. Once I checked out no one replied to my emails! Until I called them myself to get some answers.

Ali of Rosemere, QC on

Original Review

I have been charged for five nights stay while I stayed for two nights only!!!! I sent 4 emails asking for an explanation and I have no feedback from the hotel to explain or deal with this matter. Wondering what is happening to be charged with almost $ 1300 more!!!

My business friend arrived to check in to the Aloft in Leawood, as I had many times before, as preferred Gold Members and as employees of Black & Veatch a company headquartered nearby the Aloft, with guaranteed late arrival reservations. We were immediately told by the front desk clerk that our reservations will not be honored due to a policy by the GM of selling rooms even with reservations pending. To make matters worse, Ms. Jennifer ** is providing no compensation for the trouble she put us through even though she said she would give us 7,000 points. I am angry and she needs to know that customer service still matters in this country. Thank you for your time and attention to this review.

My husband and I made reservations at the Aloft Manhattan which was supposed to open July 31, 2015. I received a welcome email from the hotel and by chance clicked on a link and found out that the hotel was opening 20 days late. No one at Starwood contacted us to let us know, and this was 2 days prior to our reservation. I have spent 2 days on the phone with Starwood customer service. They offered to book us at another Starwood property at the current rate (which is now almost twice as much as when we booked a month ago). I told them that I expected to be booked at the same rate at any of their other properties near the one we booked. Finally, today, I received an email from the hotel's GM. He apologized and informed me that he rebooked us in Brooklyn at the Aloft. I told him that I had no interest in traveling half an hour extra, each way and asked to be booked elsewhere. He stopped returning my emails.

I called customer service AGAIN and the woman told me that she would try to help. She called me back a couple of hours later and informed me that she couldn't honor my rate and that since they booked me at the Brooklyn location, they were not refunding my money. After a long angry conversation, they finally agreed to refund my money. The night before we leave, I was stuck searching for another hotel and was forced to pay $500 more than the rate we booked. The lack of customer service has been inexcusable, and I think we would have arrived in Manhattan and shown up to a construction site, had I not clicked on the link. I wonder how many other people have booked the same hotel and will have no idea until they show up to check in. I expected so much more from a Starwood property and will NEVER book with them again.

Starwood's Aloft South Beach treated me with utter contempt after I forgot my laptop there. First they agreed with me that I'd come back the next day to get it, then they couldn't access it because Lost and Found was gone for the day. No one told me I had to be there during LF's operating hours, since it would be left at the front desk for me. Then a loong list of agonies followed, as me and hubbs tried to contact them. The manager hung up in my ear cuz I was furious since she wouldn't let me finish my sentence. Can anyone spell "people skills?" And you are the manager, really??

Then I called customer service at Starwood; they also hung up in my ear, cuz she told me to call FedEx and I kept insisting that the hotel call FedEx since I didn't make the mistake, but the hotel did. Since I would not accept the proposed solution of calling FedEx, she hung up on me. I was so distressed, I broke down in tears. I couldn't understand why people would treat another human being this way. They had ignored emails I sent and then flat out lied to us about contacting my family and when I called Customer Service at Starwood, the Aloft South Beach flat-out lied to her too about something my husband never said. They have achieved their desired goal I guess: I'm never ever staying at another Starwood hotel and I'll make sure my associates won't either.

Consumer Increased Rating!

SPG.com contacted me to correct this issue two weeks later. They did offer and replace all points.

Gary of Satellite Beach, FL on

Original Review

I find it completely unacceptable when you are loyal to an organization (Starwood), working toward collecting points then come to find out if you have not stayed with one year the account is closed and points are deleted. After contacting Starwood they advised as a courtesy they will refund half the points back to account. Hilton and other quality hotels do not let your points expire and I would not recommend devoting your stays to a company that treats its customers in this way. Your travel would be better served using a resort that truly appreciates your business.

AMEX Starwood Reward is going downhill fast - I have been member of SPG since 2001. Since then, I have noticed that SPG raised the points needed to book a free room for the same hotels that I used to book, yet their rewards have not changed. In other words, it is much harder to earn a free night at SPG. They are also having so many blackout nights where you can't use your points. Lastly, you will now have to call individual hotel to see if you can use your points. You cannot do these searches and booking online. This is NOT good customer experience SPG!!!

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Company Profile