1.13/5

Looking for a travel site?

Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Reviews

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We were almost paid off and have limited physical abilities to travel. We were targeted during a complimentary dinner. We were promised more time and more flexibility and talked into a American Express credit card to accrue points. Turns out the credit card has $450.00 annual fee and 28% interest after 6 mos. No extra time is added.

My husband is a disabled veteran who has worked hard all of his life. We are so upset. Vacation is now ruined. We don' have the means to pay for this added $7,000.00. Extra loan. Our credit score has p,I meted in a very vulnerable time in our lives. We have to hire an attorney now to get out of this which is something we would rather do than pay for this not so appealing upgrade. Any help or suggestions would be helpful. We were also told that with the new flexible contract we could use Marriott hotels in place of villas. Now we are told we have to pay an additional $145.00 in order to convert to a point system to use the hotels option. Nothing but a horrible scam. We were happy with the original purchase that was almost paid in full.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I was wondering if anyone else is irritated with the additional fees Vistana is now adding onto those who own their resorts. These fees are not part of the annual charges, but per reservation! We purchased a timeshare in 2007 because they said it would be investing in a wonderful way to share our vacation experiences together and with our family.

Fast forward to 2017 and now they want to charge us $59 per reservation if my husband or I do not accompany our family to a reservation destination. Considering it takes approximately 3 minutes or less to change the name with our permission, that equates to paying folks $1,180/hr to accommodate the people who purchased timeshares within their network. They sold on one premise (share with your family) but turned around and are now charging for that privilege. When asked, no one even knows WHY they made this change other than the obvious...revenue flow. Why were we not grand-fathered in?

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

The sales reps do not provide full disclosure. In fact, they flat out lie. I received a great offer in the mail to stay at the Vistana Villages--$149 for nights; great deal. Went to the required ownership meeting and was sold on this place and the offer. Sheraton--SPG and Marriott have merged and it's not a good deal for owners. Option conversion to points is less bang for your $$$ and the Marriott Vacation Club and Hotels do not have many reservations available for Sheraton Flex members. I was told over and over; the dates are not available for points conversion owners. The amount of mortgage I've paid in one years does not add up to the stays I'm allowed.

After I'm a flat out owner, maybe it's worth it. However, the maintenance fees are also very expensive. I pay over $1,100 a year for two units; crazy. And, they fee you for EVERYTHING! I have to pay $145 to convert options to points! Sheraton Vistana Villages is a nice place. I was also told that the Myrtle Beach property in my package was on the beach. The Sheraton Broadway Plantation Resort is not on the beach! The sales rep lied. I may sale my ownership only after one year.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

No points rewarded for 2 week st at St. Regis Bal Harbour: They changed the SPG and consolidation have turned SPG into the worst rewards program I deal with. Stayed 2 weeks in a suite and 2 rooms. Got some points for the rooms and 0 for the 1400 a night suite? Justification - 3 party reservation??? Wtf? I used my SPG credit card too. Ripoff. With Ritz-Carlton I get credit for every stay regardless of reservations even made by a trade organization.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I've called Marriott/Starwood Hotel customer service at least 4 times concerning the same issue and have been on the phone for over 4 hours. Finally I asked to speak with a supervisor and the supervisor was worse than the actually agents. I spoke with Dawn and she basically told me I was SOL. She seemed lazy and unprofessional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Starwood Hotels & Resorts?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I'm a travel agent and booked a room starting on 9/2. I was going to be late checking in. I called ahead of time and informed that my cousin would arrive before me. When my cousin arrived they would not let her check in! She drove 2 hours to come and was denied. Why treat your travel agent partners like this! I will never book The Spectrum ever again.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Made reservations at the St. Regis in Kauai for my wife's 40th birthday explaining that I was trying to get tickets to the Ritz in Bali and might have to cancel if we're able to book a flight there. Made my reservations at the St. Regis past the refund deadline, but didn't hear any issues about that being a problem. When I was able to get tickets to Bali I called to explain that I was going there instead and was told I'd be paying a $1700 cancellation fee. It shouldn't be an issue if I decide to stay at the Ritz instead of St. Regis. The fact I outright said it was what I was intending to do when making the reservations made it that much more frustrating.

Spent two hours on the phone while medical systems were crashing at the hospital network I work for all because they were telling me, "Tough luck. We're keeping your money." And I had to spend hours trying to get them to be reasonable about something that never should have been an issue. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars at Marriott hotels including my wedding at the Ritz in Laguna Niguel only to be treated this way. NEVER STAYING AT ANOTHER STARWOOD HOTEL AGAIN!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Sheraton Richfield Minnesota - I have been a regular at 4 Points Mall of America for years. It recently came under new ownership and management. Everyone who had been there for years was fired and replaced. The general manager is obnoxious, not friendly and has a huge Doberman that walks around unleashed. That breed of dog has shown to have sporadic behavior. I will never stay at this hotel again. The free buffet, changed restaurant menu and now no room service, perks and general feel of the hotel make it not a choice for me in the future. There is one girl at the front desk... Maybe Noel??? Who is awesome. General manager and her dog need to go! Shocked that a Starwood hotel would allow this.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I tried to book a stay with the Virginia Beach Oceanfront Sheraton. While I was booking, someone rang my doorbell and my friend continued the reservation process with my credit card. Little did I know, the Sheraton website redirected to Starwood website, where it was non refundable. I found out when the email confirmation came through.

Two days later, a Monday morning, I called Sheraton to cancel as I could not do that week, and was told it was non refundable and I had to speak with Starwood. I asked for manager/supervisor callback, which I did not receive.

I wrote snail mail. I wrote the Better Business Bureau. Lo and behold, someone emailed stating they contacted me on July 12th, which is not accurate, as I did not receive a voicemail, missed call or email. I was charged over $1,000 for a stay which I did not use. They are refusing a refund or a credit for another stay. SHAME ON THEM... I WILL NEVER, EVER UTILIZE EITHER SHERATON OR STARWOOD, AND YOU SHOULD BE CAREFUL IF YOU BOOK WITH THEM. I have not had a vacation in 15 years, and they took my money with nothing in return. Despicable.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Starwood Preferred Guest hotel points gold membership and AMEX credit card is terrible. The staff in the Gold Preferred department (which is a higher level of membership than the beginners) are complete incompetents and liars. The agent named "Razal" "guarantees" over the phone that Starwood will transfer x amount of Starwood points to airline miles, including with confirmation from his supervisor named "John", but later you find the number of miles deposited were less than their "guaranteed" quoted amount. Razal refuses to give their last name or any form of ID of themself or their supervisor and hangs up the phone without any warning.

In later calls on the phone, the other staff, one named "Nike" argues and contradicts their own statements and the statements of the previous agent. When we ask Nike to transfer us to a supervisor, we are transferred to one name "Elizabeth ** ", who gave us their ID # **. Elizabeth was a pain in the ** to say the least after speaking with her and having to endure her passive aggressive way of talking and abrupt vernacular language. She talks to us as if we are her subordinates living in the **, as she constantly cut us off in mid sentence, not allowing us to speak more than a few words before she cuts us off with her own comments, which were often contradictory and loathe to hearing our experience or trying to make the situation right.

She simply has a bad attitude for any hospitality work and she should be somewhere else before she makes the Starwood hotels company worse. Elizabeth **, Nike, and Razal do not belong in any sort of hospitality business requiring communication with the general public. We have spoken to other Starwood staff who were nice and normal, but Razal, Nike and Elizabeth ** are not suited to any "hospitality" job. A person either enjoys speaking with other people and listening to other people or does not and hangs up the phone and cuts off other people, mowing them down and preventing others from speaking.

The bottom line here is... Starwood's Preferred Guest hotels is advertising they give x amount of miles for x amount of Starwood points on their website and over the phone before you give them your credit card business, but in reality after they receive your money from hotel stays and credit card business, they give you less miles than they advertise, so they are falsely advertising, cheating their customers and possibly using bad behaving staff to protect their cheating, false advertising and deteriorating quality hotels.

If Starwood hotels wants to keep surviving and growing in future business, at least for our business, we suggest Starwood hotel executives try harder to find better staff or train their employees better, over the phone and in their hotels and try to focus on providing good competitive quality in the marketplace from the large number of private citizen paying customers, because the citizens of the world will not allow the government employees to continue spending the quantity of tax dollars for their travel expenses with Starwood hotels for much longer. We have stayed at many Starwoods hotels, including Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis and many others over the last few years and we wanted to write reviews about each of their hotels because we were also very disappointed in the treatment and quality we received compared to what they advertise.

We know it is difficult for many people to write reviews, and we know the world wide web today is full of so many phony 5 star reviews, but we are going to take the time to review the Starwood Preferred Guest hotels we stayed at so other people will not have to suffer like we did and so perhaps Starwood management can improve their problems. We are very disappointed with Starwood Preferred Guest Gold member staff and their false advertising Starwood American Express credit card points system, the time lost, the attitude abuse and the many Starwood family hotels we paid a lot of money to suffer and be mistreated in.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Company Information