2.38/5

Looking for a travel site?

Ryanair

Looking for a travel site?

Ryanair Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

This airline is quite simply the worst airline ever. They are single handedly destroying all the goodwill in air travel by exploiting the customer at every opportunity! When you book your flights with Ryanair via a comparison website, bear in mind the following...

- Carry on luggage is now just a small bag unless you upgrade at £14 per flight for priority boarding.

- If you fail to check online before 2 hours prior to your flight, you are fined £55.

- If you want to sit next to your friend it will cost you an extra £4 each.

- If you have any complaints or issues with your flight, you can't talk to any Ryanair staff at the airport but instead you will talk to staff from another company with the same logo but called Blue Haulage. They can't really help you at all and they just keep saying you need to contact Ryanair.

I'm sure there are more bad things about Ryanair, this is just my recent experience. I will never ever use them ever again!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I booked economy + tickets and booked my seats at the time of bookings. Received several nonsense emails from the airline apart from an email stating to do check-in. At the airport, I had to pay £110 for the 2 of us, for not doing the online check-in’s. I am a frequent flyer with International airlines and never heard about this nonsense ever. £55 for not doing the online check-ins.. What a rip-off... As soon as we landed at the Prague airport we received our luggage in a very poor condition (completely open) and the airport staff had no idea why our baggage was open and sent separately. Upon asking the reason for receiving the luggage in the poor condition, we received no response.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

This is with reference to my flight (FR196) from Berlin to Budapest on 07.11.2019 for two people. I am a frequent flyer with Ryanair, but never came across a need to file a complain until yesterday. I had a flight to board at 7:30 am from Berlin SXF airport. As usual I tried to check in a day before my departure, but unfortunately due to some technical problems I was not able to do so. As advised by the web page, I also tried to use the app to make my check in, but again failed. I was noticed that the technical breakdown or repair will be till 2 am and I should try after that. I tried a lot to check in after 3:30 or 4:00 am, but was not able to do so. It again and again made me come back to the same page after I put in my details of passport and other required information.

After a long wait it took me to a page to the final step of check in, but unfortunately it again said there is some technical problem and I cannot check in from here and should do at airport. I do have a screenshot of the same with me, and can share if required. At the airport, I was not provided with my boarding pass until I paid 110 EUR (55 EUR per person). I told them the whole situation but the person concerned could not just help us but was highly rude in speaking and just denied to help us out in any means. I also requested him to make me speak to any person concerned with Ryanair, but again I was in dismay to get any help. I was told that the people were informed by the company about this technical hitch and advised to check in earlier. But I assure I never got any email, not just me there were few other people at airport who said the same. I believe not everyone is lying.

All this happened around 5:45 am and my flight was scheduled to depart at 7:28 am. Since the time I was told all this, I tried all the means to connect to the Ryanair representative, through phone or live chat or email. But unfortunately I again was given a set back, there was no one who could help me. I would have been fine to pay the money (110EUR), if assured that those will be returned to me, as it was not my mistake that the server was down. I have the screenshot of the chats when no one responded to my query. I just cannot understand that if a person has some emergency beyond the working hours, where is one suppose to contact. I had to eventually skip my flight and my whole money went in waste. I had paid for my return flight too (two persons), which was non refundable. All my hotel bookings were non refundable and everything just got ruined. It just did not made me suffer financially but mentally too.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

While waiting to board: witness a check-in individual loudly/rudely say "You could not bring the luggage on the flight and you do not have time to go back. You will miss your flight". Issues with check in online. Spoke to check in counter and my party was informed we would have to pay a fee but we would get our money back if we submitted the information online. Online was not helpful. We paying the fee due to the company's check in-error. We were informed by someone to use different airlines in the future as they are more helpful and respectful. Very true statement. Priority just means you can take a bag on the plane and board early (no organization with early boarding). Overall, we arrived safe at our destination (due to the landing it was questionable).

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Honestly I wouldn't even give this airline 1 star. After their online system failed for an online check in they charged us 55 euro extra per person to check in at the desk. I mean the very basics of service you can expect i.e. you checking into a flight is extra. I hope that no one ever has the misfortune of flying with this airline. I certainly will avoid this airline for the rest of my life. If you think the flight cost is good value it's not, everything from your luggage to 3 euro on board coffee, to not booking online to not printing your boarding pass will incur additional costs. In fact their very busy model may revolve around getting tickets to a certain amount through the extra charges. There is a day in the not to distant future that someone somewhere will be charged to sit on a seat, or use a toilet or breathe the air on a Ryanair flight.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

We had reservations on Ryanair flight FR1393 flying from Oslo to London on September 6 this year. I tried to check in on their website well before the two hour time limit but it showed that we did not have reservations for this flight. We went to the airport anyway and were forced to pay the 55 Euro fee each for checking in there. Several people we talked to while waiting in line had had the same experience that morning with the Ryanair website. I have contacted Ryanair customer service (query number **) and have been told that they will not refund the 55 Euro fees. I will never fly Ryanair again and will broadcast this experience to as many potential customers as I can. Nigel

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Held hostage by Ryanair. I flew with Ryanair from Lanzarote to Edinburgh. We boarded on time and were meant to leave at 11:20 but were still on the stance at 16:20 at which point we left the stance for another part of the airport, throughout this time they said that reason for the delay was due to them not having a flight plan and when I asked the stewardess to explain she just shrugged and walked away. Why would they not have a flight plan the same flight went out everyday. At this point they had not given us any water or food which went against their own procedures, they should have let us off the plane to get a flight with another airline or wait for the next available Ryanair flight.

We eventually went back to the stance and took off at 17:20 not to Edinburgh but Bordeaux as the crew couldn’t fly anymore hours. When we were in the air they started SELLING us water and food. I was in row 15 and by the time they reach me there was no hot water for tea or coffee and only one bottle of sparkling water. By the time we landed at Bordeaux there was no water to flush the toilets or wash our hands. The crew arrived from Stanstead and we were all given ONE free bottle of water. We took off for Edinburgh at 21:30 and landed at Edinburgh at 23:26, 10 hours after we were meant to land. Of course by this time there was no buses or trains to get us home so we had to get a taxi which cost £120. As far as Ryanair are concerned they got us to the UK and don’t feel any responsibility that we were stranded at the airport.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I have a few experiences flying with Ryanair and all of them were unpleasant in different way.

1. We were flying from Dublin to Glasgow, the flight itself took 40 min but waiting time in the plane before the take off was 1 hour and half with no opportunity to get water (crew explained they could use a bar only during the flight) or use the toilet.

2. Not all of crew members were nice and polite and besides that we had to ask few times for the same thing.

3. On the way back we didn't success in time to check-in (that's our fault, I agree) but we've been just 7 min late to do it. Where is the loyalty? We paid 60 euro for each person just to get a boarding pass. That's crazy!! Does in any other company a boarding pass can cost more than a ticket? That's stealing I think 'cause such service just CAN'T cost that much.

We are very disappointed with this company, their rules and will not use their service ever again. Better to pay more or fly with a stop than be treated like that.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

We have recently returned from Rome and we found the Ryanair app & booking process complicated and not user friendly. It seemed deliberately complex with the aim of tricking/confusing unsuspecting customers into paying out more than they should. For example you cannot book your return luggage until 48 hrs before you return...meaning that you are abroad and have the hassle of trying to do it then. Equally the priority booking fiasco is designed to trick you in to paying more for your luggage. When we eventually go through to their customer care team...who were as helpful as bucket of frogs... I am very annoyed with the this company and will not be using it again...

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Myself and friends travelled from Belfast to Dublin airport for flight to Bulgaria with Ryanair. The bus was 35 mins late as it had broken down and a replacement had to be sent. My friends had full priority booking so went on ahead and I had to check a bag in. I too had paid for priority booking but when I went to get my boarding pass only return flight was priority. I had to pay another £20 and the bag had to go into the hold. I explained I was late re, late bus and my plane was leaving in 40 mins. The lady at the desk was most unhelpful and told me to check in across the way by scan.

As I am a senior citizen and not great with these new scans I asked for help. No help was forthcoming. I did find eventually find a young man in attendance and asked him for help. He never spoke and made it quite obvious he didn’t want to help me. He was unable to check me in (no reason given) and sent me back to the desk where a queue of people were now waiting. When I reached the desk I was told I was 5 mins too late. No kind words, no advice given, Total indifference to my plight. My friends all boarded the plane and were waiting for me but I was unable to join them. My holiday was over before it even started. I had to return home to Belfast by myself feeling very upset and frustrated. Ryanair proved to be indifferent to people plights and the most unhelpful staff I have come across.

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information