1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

97 Ryanair Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

At the end of October 2018 I booked my flight with full enthusiasm. In addition to the flight and hand luggage, I also booked the shuttle transfer and paid.

Unfortunately Ryanair did not pass my payment to the shuttle provider Viajes Rusadir. This week it starts and will have to book another transfer and pay. I can advise everyone to book special services with Ryanair. Ryanair is pulling its own customers over the table. The "Support/Service" is the worst I have ever experienced. After about 30 e-mails I got the same answer that they can do nothing and I should contact the shuttle provider. What should they do? They did not receive the payment, that means no transfer.

The last 10 reactions from Ryanair were then copy & paste: the position would remain the same and that they trust that the matter is now clarified. I visited Facebook and read the running volume with similar experiences. People claim as well the bad support or they do not get a compensation for their failed flights. In future I will not book any special services by an airline. You have no trouble if the payment is not forwarded by the airline. Ryanair is not interested and withdraws from responsibility.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Ryanair have found another way of scamming money off the people who pay their wages (aka the customer). I have been travelling with them for years, Amsterdam to Dublin, once a week. They changed the cabin baggage policy some months ago but I never need to bring a suitcase for the short stays. This time was different. Last Thursday I arrive 15 mins before the flight left, my bad.

I wasn't allowed to board. They could have let me one, passengers were still boarding the plane but I think they (4 people) found it more important to get home early than help me. Anyway, booked a new flight for today, arrived on time, went to check in my suitcase, but I was informed the little letters said I should have checked my suitcase in earlier and not at the gate. They were waiting with the receipt book in hand to charge me another €10 for that. They are thieves. No respect for this airline or anyone that works there. Hope they go bankrupt, that will teach them. They have to be the worst airline in the world.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I arrived at the airport 2 hours in advance of my domestic flight from Edinburgh to London. I proceeded through the queue to check my baggage at the automated kiosk. I weighed my bag and received an error message. The attendant told me that I needed to go to the RyanAir check-in desk to check my bag. I did so, and the Ryanair attendant at the desk said she could not take my payment. She said I needed to go to the other end of the terminal to the Swissport Desk. I was already starting to worry about making it to the gate on time, but I didn’t have any choice but to follow the attendant’s orders.

So I crossed the terminal and waited in queue at the Swissport Desk for 40 minutes with several other people who were in the same situation. Everybody looked angry and worried because there was only one agent handling customers, and she was moving very slowly. When I finally got my turn, it was too late. The gate had closed. When I told this to the slow attendant, she was exceedingly rude, remarking that I should have "spoken up" from the queue if I had an imminent flight. The problem was, every single person in the queue was in the same position that I was. Ryanair wasn’t letting anybody pay for their baggage at the baggage desk! Was I supposed to cut in line?

Leaving on a later flight would've caused me to miss my connection in London, so I had to pay 70 pounds to take a train from Edinburgh to London so I could make the connection in time. RyanAir has repeatedly refused to refund me for the Edinburgh-London part of the trip even though their attendants were at fault. Adding insult to injury, they keep sending me form letters which pointedly ignore the substance of my complaint. Essentially, they blame me for not taking "a long security queue" into account. I never even made it to the security queue! Given my experiences and their well-documented human rights violations (which I found out about later) I will never fly this airline again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I booked a flight for 2 people from Bologna to Catania on Ryanair trough Wanderio's website. At the airport the Ryanair agents told me I owe $60 for a "check-in charge, because I did not check-in online as per Ryanair policy". They also said "If you had not booked through a broker (Wanderio), there would not have been a charge".

As far as I am aware, the normal, standard practice of all other airlines provides for check in at the airport at no cost. Further, in this case, my two bags had to be physically processed at the counter anyway. Wanderio acknowledged that "the details that we shared in the confirmation e-mail might have not been clear enough regarding this issue". To add injury to insult, it also informed me that the extra charge over the price of the tickets was not $60 as at the airport, but rather 79 Euros or about $85! It then grandly offered not a CC refund as I requested, but a voucher for that amount for future bookings, which is worthless to me under the circumstances! The whole episode is a total scam IMHO. There were other passengers at the airport who went through this scenario as well. Moral: Don't book on Ryanair and/or on Wanderio if you don't want it to happen to you too!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I booked a flight to Milan from Timisoara and back, for myself and the person I was traveling with. The first problem - in the Ryanair itinerary I saw my last name being switched from my own, which I manually typed in, to the last name of the person I was traveling with, after info submission. On my attempt to change my last name, the button to change the info was inactive. I tried again several times in the following days before the trip, and the same happened. I hoped it wouldn't be an issue since the passport number is matching. On my flight back, I was told that I can't board with the ticket, but I had to buy another one at the price of 235€ and that it's a standby ticket. Take in mind, the initial one cost me around 50€ with all the extra seat reservations, primary boarding, etc. So, I bought a new ticket on top of the one that I already paid for, just to get back home.

Also, the lady at the Ryanair desk at the Bergamo airport was extremely uninterested, rude and wouldn't let me finish a single sentence. After waiting for everyone to pass through the gate, even though I paid for primary, I was seated in the plane at the same exact seat that I booked with the first ticket - they didn't even cancel my initial ticket before I boarded, and they should've, if they thought it was invalid! Not to mention the stress I went through, extreme migraine that the whole thing initiated, anxiety attack and arrhythmia. I can't imagine what would happen if I was to be alone in that situation. So, I paid more than €250 to get from Milan to Timisoara, for a seat & flight that I already paid for (so I paid twice for the same exact thing) & it cost me not 40€, but 250€ and a lot of stress. Because their booking system thinks it knows my last name better than me.

Upon filling various forms on their website, the only thing I got was automatic replies. After 15 day limit has passed, I contacted their live chat service and got tossed around from one person to another and finally got "kindly" told off with "thank you for contacting us, if there is something else we can help you with bla bla bla" and the chat closed, with no further option to talk to someone through that channel. Then I contacted the complaint tracker team, ofc they told me that I "should've checked my information before submission" and that the fact that I had to buy another ticket is "a goodwill gesture from their agent". How ironic.

Also, in the whole chaos that is the Timisoara airport, when I got to our apartment in Milan and got unpacked, I noticed a few cosmetic bits missing from my zip lock bags. Since I was in Doc Martens, I had to take my shoes off before going through the scanner, and missed the lady rummaging through my bags. Didn't bother about that, though, since it wasn't anything too valuable, but it doesn't make the thing right to do. In conclusion. DON'T FLY RYANAIR. DON'T DO THAT TO YOURSELF. I travel a lot, and this trip is utmost the worst ever, and it was completely ruined by the whole ** show that is Ryanair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Surprise, surprise another negative Ryanair review, maybe this review can help someone else avoid the type of frustrating and cynical issues I encountered using this company, I'm sure many people have encountered more serious issues and suffered monetary losses and well as stress and lost time... I tried to book a flight via my laptop, I had recently changed my credit card so need to submit new payment details, for whatever reason my new credit card could not get authorised, I reentered my card details a number of times and had to rebook flights on each occasion as I knew I had the funds available, it was still declined.

I took the time to talk with my bank and the situation was resolved, logged in again but price had now increased on my flight(which was half empty), checked exact same flight on the Ryanair app on my phone after turning off cookies and deny them my location on my phone, the flight was available at the lower original price yet on my laptop a higher price. Contacted Ryanair and they claimed this was not possible. I stilled booked the flight at original lower price as they are the only carrier for this particular route on these dates.

I then went through the process of complaining via their website and again it's a cynical approach to client's complaints, they ask you to fill in all the relevant details, maximum 1,000 words, which I did, very clearly detailing the complaint to my maximum allocation, then you get a nice standard response as follows, "Thank you for contacting Ryanair. Regarding you recent correspondence in order to best address the situation could you please send us a more detailed description of the situation? We remain at your disposal for any further information." When you attempt to reply to this email, another standard email gets sent with different areas/subjects where you can complain and a relevant email address for that particular type of compliant, you then select the email address and it asks for all the same information as if this is the first submission.

Again my review is about the cynical approach of Ryanair towards their clients, firstly by attempting to overcharge clients by using cookies to their advantage, secondly by making the complaint procedure difficult and frustrating by making you repetitively detail your complaint... in the obvious hope you just give up, because Ryanair do not want to engage you on any level other than making a few more bucks. The unfortunate reality which I have grown to accept over the years is that where I live in Southern Spain, Ryanair are the main carrier and that's why in most cases they don't care. Anyhow, when visiting the Ryanair website turnoff/disable your cookies on your computer and deny them your location on the app before booking, this will save you money because if you don't book first time and you return to their website their objective is to try and charge you more and cookies enable them to do so.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

DO NOT rely on advice given by helpful Ryanair Customer Service staff at airport! Our flight from Stansted was cancelled in July (exceptional weather cited!) when we arrived, along with 300-400 other passengers on other cancelled flights. There was chaos. Some 8-9 Customer Service Team staff were handing out ‘refund/complaint’ leaflets. Having explained to one member of staff that the next Ryanair flight to our destination was 5 days later, and the next available flight to our destination was the next day from Luton with Wizz Air.

She helpfully advised that if we could we would be best making the alternative booking ourselves since this would be the same outcome as queuing in the very LONG queue at Customer Services Desk. The outcome is, after two months of unanswered e-mails to Ryanair, only a refund of our Ryanair money, not the additional flight cost, since we did not follow the procedure of going via Customer Services desk/phone help desk first! Our ‘mistake’ was that we followed the advice of a member of their Customer Services Team! Terrible, terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We made a booking on the Ryanair website on Monday night 22 October to fly to Malta. First I selected the flights then proceeded to add our additional requirements as follows. 10 X Selected seats 5 outbound and 5 inbound £60. 10 X priority boarding 5 outbound and 5 inbound £60. 3 X hold luggage inbound and outbound at a cost of £150. Total cost was showing as £1022.56.

I then went on to the next screen where it asked me to review my itinerary. I reviewed this along with my wife and we both agreed that the details fulfilled our requirements. Once happy I proceeded to the payment page filled in my card details and submitted payment. On submitting payment I received a message saying my booking was confirmed and that I had been charged £812.59. At first I couldn’t understand why the amount paid differed from the amount it should have been (£1022.59).

I then looked at the email confirmation and could see that the priority boarding and hold luggage was no longer on my booking. When I then tried to add this after the booking I could see that it was now £110 more expensive to add. At this point I decided to contact customer services via web chat as the phone lines were closed.

We did our best to explain the sequence of events but got the reply that the priority boarding and additional hold luggage was not on the booking, but that we could add it now if we wanted. I then tried again to explain that something had gone wrong with the booking and I did not believe that it was my fault so why should I be expected to pay an extra £110. The time was now 9.00 and the chat line closed before we could get any resolution.

I then phoned the customer service line on Tuesday morning only to be told that the priority boarding and additional baggage was not on the booking and if we wanted to add it we would have to pay the after booking price. I then asked to speak to someone in the complains department and was told that we could not and that all complaints were dealt with online. I have contacted them many times and explained the situation but they are not interested. This is Ryanair customer don’t care.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I booked a flight through Ryanair to fly from Berlin Schöneberg to Riga on 10 October 2018 for 56.80 Euro. When I tried to check in online 48 hours prior to traveling the website would not allow me to proceed with the check in due to a technical error. I could not select any of the two button options which allows you to proceed. I tried several times to check in online in the two days before my flight, but didn't manage. The last time I tried was on my way to the airport, 2 hours before my flight, but the site was still not working. When I arrived at the airport I was charged a 60. Euro penalty for not checking in online. I tried to explain that the website is currently down, but the man at the service desk insisted I just didn't know how to check in properly.

He also said a lot of the customers are "Too stupid" to check in correctly. He was being incredibly condescending and insulting. Furthermore he said he checked, and that the website had not been down during the times I specified. When I arrived in Riga, I called Ryanair Germany's helpline. A lady, Ms **, who I spoke to confirmed that their site was in fact not working properly and that they have been made aware of it by their IT department. She gave me the details for Ryanair impression and said they should give me a refund without any problems.

I wrote to them with all the details, include proof of people alerting them on Facebook about their site not working and not being able to check in on those exact days. Ryanair replied 2 weeks later saying that they will not refund me, as it is my responsibility to call them when their website is down. I find this ridiculous since they don't mention anywhere in their correspondence as to what to do in case they are experiencing technical difficulties. I find them to be dishonest and unethical. What companies benefits financially due to a technical error with their site?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I booked a flight, within the no fee 24 hour window. I tried using the web application, calling customer service and using their chat line, all failed: customer service I quit on as I was endlessly on hold, chat line displayed a message that all were currently busy, website would not allow any changes, and when I finally got someone to talk to (actually many talked to) they provided me special instructions on how to log in that was not the normal way, they unlocked my record so I could change (no way to tell it was locked).

I proceeded to attempt to make change and the application froze and when it did work it didn't accept changed date (one date change). They blamed it on the browser I was using which was the same one, Chrome, they were using. And on and on with excuses and then they wanted to charge me $130 to make the change since I didn't complete it within 24 hours: note their application and customer support would not allow for the change and as this story ends I still could not get their website application to work. I filled out a complaint form.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I think most people have summed up the absolute hell of RYANAIR, that I too have been through with this airline this summer. I am a frequent flyer and love travelling but these guys really know how to try and turn that love into a hate. Long story short - they cancelled my flight AT THE BOARDING GATE (after a long wait of course!)!! Then told me there will be a 5 day wait until the next flight (umm and who was going to pay for my stay in Italy for 5 days I wonder?). No one to speak to at the office. Huge lines. No one at the call centre - calls dropped. Stranded in Italy - nowhere to stay, no idea how I was getting to my destination, no one to help.

Ryanair boarding staff had told me to buy another flight with another company and I can get refunded online by Ryanair - ummm thankfully I bought the cheapest most inconvenient flight, as still 4 months later, after receiving many deadlock letters they have of course, refused to pay what they promised. a €40 flight ended up costing €390 (what with all the additional hostel and food costs on top of my new flight). Oh and of course all the extra stress and time wasted. These guys are CRIMINALS of the highest degree - I do not care if they seem to say they have cheap flights, I would much rather go with Easy Jet or the like and pay the $20 more to know my flight will leave and I will be taken care of.

Oh, and just to add to the infuriating factor of this company - after a whole summer of cancelling literally thousands of people's flights they are now CHANGING their BAGGAGE POLICY!! So, no more free cabin bag... Please save yourself the hell and pay the extra €20 for a flight with an airline that actually cares about you! I personally will never fly with them again out of principle not to associate with liars and criminals.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I would NOT recommend using Ryanair! When I was checking in, I was told to pay an additional €65/person to get a boarding pass on top of the €146 flight tickets already paid per passenger. I did not understand why I was being asked to pay an additional 45% on top of the original flight cost when every other airline does not charge this fee. I asked to speak with the Ryanair manager at the Santorini check in desk, Roussou **, and explained to her that I do not have mobile data when traveling and could not check-in online and that the Ryanair confirmation I received via free Airport WiFi was in Greek.

Roussou ** proceeded to aggressively shout at me dismissing the fact that I do not have mobile data or that I do not speak Greek as “not her problem”, which I found very rude and extremely poor customer service, especially at a manager level. I find the extra boarding pass fee as predatory practice used by Ryanair, as this is a surprise to many travelers using their service. Buyer beware, as this is the "cost" of doing business with a budget airline.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Ryanair pretends to be the cheapest...at least that is their aim. Extra costs is part of their game…due to cancellations thousands have to claim! Ryanair is flourishing by earning money…abusing their clients and staff. Meanwhile it is an unfair company. Their unfounded excuses should make us laugh? Thousands of people are send by Ryanair’s rotten behavior in real trouble. Ryanair deserves to explode and be ruined…in their own ‘success’ bubble! Ryanair is the cheapest company if it refers basic respect!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Do not fly with this airline, they are rude, condescending, staff incredibly unhelpful. The list is endless. I had a theft from my luggage because it had to go in THE HOLD, we were delayed by 40 minutes getting off the plane but the baggage arrived on the Carousel a lot earlier than us. The baggage handlers must have had a field day to the tune of 300 euros. Do Ryanair want to enter into a conversation with me... NO!!! How many letters can you send to the head office in Dublin recorded delivery at £6 a time, how many emails can you send, a total of 15 before Ryanair acknowledge them. Don't fly with them. They are absolutely bloody useless. Mr. O'Leary get a grip!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

If you take Ryanair's new Non-priority ticket, at the check-in desk, they label your bag and you have to put it in a luggage lorry near the steps to the aircraft. If you look closely at this ticket, it has a small warning that any loss or damage to the bag will not be covered by the usual international agreements. Typical Ryanair. What I have done is quickly remove the label before reaching the aircraft and board the aircraft still with the hand luggage - there's plenty locker space now. Nobody noticed.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I registered online for my flight the night before my flight. We went to airport and they said they see our passport info on their registration site, but they do not see we registered. They could not have seen our passport numbers, if we did not register. I told them there is probably something wrong with their website. They still charged me $50 per person. There were 5 of us and I paid $350 to take my trip. I was told to try to get it reimbursed later. I tried it a week after our trip, but they denied. This is one way they make extra money. Do not fly with them as they are not fair and blamed me for their website problems. They are not honest either since they denied my request after they said try to get my money back.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

BEWARE!! I would give them negative stars if possible. They are absolute criminals, if you do not check in 2 hours before the flight they charge you 55 pounds per check in! Because their absolutely terrible website did not work, we missed our check in by 11 minutes while waiting in the “customer service” line. Not only was their customer service agent inept, she said there was nothing they could do regardless of if their website was ** and “serviced” us by charging us a fee to check in which was more than the cost of our flight. DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM. They will find ways to charge you that end up costing you more than your flight, I assume this is how they make their money cause they are budget AF. I will never fly with them again, bunch of crooks.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

This airline company is fraudulent and the way it conducts its services are unethical, illegal and a scam. I am surprised they are in operation and have not been taken to court more times or had their company license removed. I flew with Ryanair (for the first time) in September 2018. I had heard that they have strict rules about hand luggage. And that they had recently begun charging people to take onboard a passenger bag. For me, this wasn't the problem. I actually didn't have hand luggage as I only flew with a large handbag. I booked my journey from Malaga to Barcelona to stay one night. I had to pick up a suitcase that was in storage for me at a friend's house.

When I made the booking online initially, there was the option to "add baggage to journey", in the "manage my booking" area. This was very UNCLEAR and VAGUE, with no clear instructions. It simply says 'click here to add baggage to flight', therefore it appeared as a token for the whole return journey. Therefore I added the baggage for 33 euros. And I thought everything was fine and organised. Now, bear in mind, that I only needed to check-in the suitcase on the way back (incoming journey) as I had flown to Barcelona especially to collect the suitcase. I didn't check-in a suitcase on my outgoing journey from Malaga. But when I went to check-in my suitcase at Barcelona for my incoming journey (after collecting it from my friend's house), I was told it hadn't been paid for on the system.

I insisted that I had already paid for the baggage (33 euros) but then they told me about a "little-hidden clause" that you have to select which journey to add the baggage, and since it had been allocated online to my outgoing journey when I made the booking, they told me it wasn´t applicable. Let me RECAP, I HAD ALREADY PAID TO CHECK-IN THE BAG BUT HADN'T CHECKED IT IN YET. So they demanded that I pay again at the desk to check-in my suitcase for the flight. I had to pay 44 euros. I was totally shocked and disgusted about this. When I complained about it, they smiled sweetly and said that if I contacted customer services I would definitely get a refund since I had paid to check-in the bag TWICE but only used the facility ONCE.

However, when I attempted to contact customer services on the website, it took me an hour to connect with the live chat agent, who briefly told me why they had charged me and then terminated the chat after about 1 minute. There was no way to email customer services about refunds other than the small list of options they provide (such as a death in family, cancellation or delay) and NO CONTACT number to call either. The customer services department is a complete joke and I'm surprised they haven't had their license taken away from them. Since there is no way to contact them directly with general complaints and specific inquiries. Surely this in itself is a breach of consumer rights. It's the kind of service that you see on a TV programme of holiday worst nightmares for some dodgy scamming company who later gets arrested for robbing and scamming its customers.

Furthermore, when I had collected my bag on arrival it was damaged and the wheels were nearly falling off (!) so I had to make a complaint about that too. I have no idea how this company is still in operation. I will NEVER EVER fly with them again. In fact, I feel like reporting them to the police as well as the CAA. Not to mention the thousands of other people the company seems to be upsetting for similar reasons like hidden costs, surprise check-in fees and constant delayed/cancelled flights, and lost or damaged baggage. I've read all the horror stories out of sympathy following my own encounter with them. When the company goes out of business, I will be celebrating with a bottle of champagne. Cheers to that!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We went on holiday to Faro. I booked with Ryanair because the flight timings were good, though not cheap. I booked Priority for flights there and back, and although I booked as early as possible was allocated a seat apart from my husband, so paid £13 to sit together. So this was £41 extra for nothing. On the flight back, we were allocated middle seats in rows 9 and 23, even though I had booked 1st thing and paid all that extra, making it £400 in all. We managed to sit together as over half the flight were single passengers and didn’t mind swapping. SHAME ON YOU RYANAIR and we will never fly with you again. You are nasty, mean and should lose your license for all the misery you have caused.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Instead of checking in online and not be able to print my own boarding pass I just thought to check in at the airport. I was there 1 hour and 55 minutes before flight departure. Instead of just helping me they charged me 55 pounds (75 euros) to print my boarding pass. This money is not going towards some charity or emission compensation but straight in the pocket of the company. And I know that strictly seen I wasn't on time and rules are there for a reason, but this fee is really out of proportion! Watch them!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I made reservation MU3CVC (Frankfurt to Corfu) on 9/8/2018 using the “Flexi Plus” option given I was connecting from overseas with a long haul flight with plenty of luggage. At the time of the purchase, the relevant information page was indicating that the 20 kg baggage was indeed included. When I tried to check in at Frankfurt airport on 11/09/210 I was extremely surprised that I was asked to pay 50 Euros for the 20 kg allowance - Your employees were referring to an ambiguous policy change - which I cannot locate on your website. What I was able to find is that you removed the 20 kg allowance from the “Flexi Plus.” However you still provide it for the “Plus”. However, at the time of my booking “Flexi Plus” was also eligible for 20 kg so the airline did not honor its ticket's terms and conditions.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have flights booked to Tenerife for 17th Sept '18. Unfortunately my circumstances have changed and I wish to change my flight. I have logged on to Ryanair website, followed instructions for changing flights but after finding suitable flights the web page would not let me move on to complete. I have tried several times with the same result. When I tried the chat line for help it just asked me to do what I had already done. Tried to call but was held in a queue then cut off, twice. Never fly with them again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Cancelled our flights to Sweden without telling us. Only found out when we tried to print our boarding passed. Pilot strike is the reason given. To make matters worse Ryanair made a press announcement that all their customers had been informed. This is a lie, strong language but if they take me to court I will prove they lied. To make matters worse they have just sent me an email telling me it is time I printed our boarding passes. I know three other people in this area who have had Ryanair flights cancelled in the last month. I'll never fly with them again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I love love love the thought of flying around Europe for 20 - 25 Euro per flight but at what cost? I had to pay for my one overweight bag twice! If you pay online for 2 bags because you have one overweight bag, they will make you pay AGAIN at the ticket counter 11 Euro for each kilo you are over, even though I have proof that on their website it says the excess fee is 10 Euro per kilo. I was made to pay an additional 55 Euros (for 5 kilos over) at the counter and was told to contact Ryanair to get my refund. Now I know they are in Dublin, I think, but they act like they don't know English. Common sense says if a customer pays twice for the same excess baggage they are due a refund.

HORRIBLE!!! I wound up paying close to $100 per ticket (from Rome to Barcelona and then to Paris) just due to the overweight bag fees and then leaving from Paris back to Rome, I paid approximately $250 for that ticket. It's not worth it in the end. They are thieves! And the flight hit so many turbulence I was certain 2x we were going to die.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Ryanair is there any chance to get through all those thunderstorms over the Europe and start responding on our EU261 regulation related claims? You can do at least that since you have ruined many peoples vacation just because you are unable to handle your own staff and they have to strike. Our flight from London Stansted to Pardubice on 28th of July was cancelled 2 hours before its planned departure, no one was taking calls and your web chat support parody was disconnecting. You have not sent a single email or SMS message to us. We have tried to contact one of your resellers and even them confirmed that it is impossible to contact you because when the call reaches end of your support hours it simply hangs (no comment). Thank you?

Original review: July 28, 2018

Arrived at Stansted on time. Had to get a connecting flight, Ryanair lost the entire plane's luggage causing us to miss our flight, we only had hand luggage, which they made us put in the hold as we hadn't paid to take it on board, (which we didn't know about), trying to get our luggage so we could've made our flight was a waste of time. Not one person would help, not even the manager. 1.5 hours after landing we finally got our luggage missing the flight, So for the privilege of their incompetence we had to spend 6 hours in a queue to be told we had to pay £200 for standby in the morning, spend the night in the airport. Now after being told we can claim the money back, twice they have blamed us, and keep stating it's our responsibility to be at the airport on time. Nobody seems to have actually read our complaint. NEVER AGAIN FLYING RYANAIR.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I never imagined a company would treat customers so poorly until I met Ryanair. Multiple times I needed to get in touch via chat because the online reservation kept changing the DOB for my travelers. The latest time which I'm still waiting in chat window promised a 92 minute wait. The clock has been sitting on 1 minute now for over an hour. I've already been warned about the boarding pass stamp required, and fully expect them to come up with new creative ways to make me pay more for the flight. Disgraceful.

Original review: July 21, 2018

It is the second time I am trying to change some details to my bookings which requires online or call service support. I have tried twice to be in a 92 minutes 'queue' and twice is was 'lost because of the connection error' although no issues accrued with anything else. When I have tried to call the helpdesk - it is just cutting off by saying, that they are too busy. As a customer, I feel very disappointed, that I can't get support when I need it and I don't have where to call or express this awful experience.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Partner and I booked return flights from Glasgow to Lisbon. In trying to check in online discovered that unless you paid for selected seats you couldn’t check in until 48 hours before flight and that made checking in for return flight difficult as not sure of web access. I knew Ryanair were extortionate charges if you didn’t book in online. Ended up lying for booked seats just to be able to check in. A con. Arrived at airport boarded plane to be told a member of cabin crew had phoned in sick and flight delayed until replacement arrived.

Now Ryanair must have known this before they made everyone board plane. We were then given a long series of misleading and utterly wrong information about where the replacement cabin crew was and how long it would take them to arrive. Eventually after 2 hours 40 minutes sitting in a hot plane with no food or water offered the crew member turned up. Of course Ryanair are now trying to deny even basic compensation of food and drink vouchers. I will never fly Ryanair again and I will tell everyone I know not to. Everything about this company is about extracting extra money from customers and nothing is about customer care or relations. Never again!

Original review: July 18, 2018

You will get lured in by low fares, and then end up paying more than the flight itself in outrageous "surprise" fees. How this airline is allowed to operate is a legislative Bermuda Triangle. No wonder they are the "most profitable" airline in Europe! Like many of the others who left prior reviews, my friend and I were also trapped by the 55 euro fee for not checking in online at least 2 hrs prior to the flight (never mind that we never received notification... and what if a passenger doesn't have access to online data while traveling?).

And we were charged an additional 50 euro fee for not purchasing baggage ahead of time (though one of us actually had and they simply said it didn't show in their system, so they charged us again! Since their online receipts are not itemized, you cannot prove the inflated price includes a bag fee! They intentionally claim to send important notifications to US mobile phones, where they know you won't get them, or to your spam box, while they send annoying ads perfectly to your inbox!). And they have a lovely message glued to the payment counter at the airport, stating "We do not tolerate any inappropriate language, aggressive behavior, or raised voices, and we reserve the right to refuse service..." Now that sounds promising!

A scam of a company, a sham, a scandal, whatever you want to call it, STAY AWAY. Hey Michael Kevin O'Leary (head of Ryan Air) --> how about some karma? I later found out some family members of mine had all vowed not to use the airline due to these kinds of practices. One even had to cut her trip short because they canceled her return flight, and told her she had to come back one day early. Really, Ryan Air should be shut down, I'm gobsmacked they are allowed to operate.

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information