2.65/5

144 Ryanair Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

Ryanair is the only flight company that steals 55 euros cash at the desk to give you your right boarding pass!! If anyone knows a flight company in any place in the world may do this steal to tell us!! Today was my only first time that I travel with them. Ryanair steal from you 55 euros cash and you can do nothing even you can not argue with them because you will miss your flight!! What if a passenger or old age does not have 55 cash at that time!!?? What he should do!? What is this crime??! This is happening in Europe!! Imagine! I never heard before that a a flight company takes 55 euros to give you your boarding pass even in the poorest country in the world!!

When you argue with them they will answer you ("Ohhhh you should do check in online by yourself and you should print it on A4 before you come to our desk in the airport")!! Imagine an old man or woman’s can do this?!! And even when you check the email you will discover that they put this information in a very small tiny poor color letters that impossible for you to catch it and do checking in online!! The second thing is that our flight should departure at 1 pm but they departed at 2 pm!! Anyhow, I am sorry to say that Ryanair are just a scammer stealer company and I don’t advise it.

Original review: June 9, 2019

We hadn’t flown Ryanair for about a year when we flew to Stansted from Oslo on 8.06.2019. The company’s emails made us aware of change to hand luggage policy, only one bag allowed (unless you buy priority which we hadn’t done but had reserved seats). My wife and I travelled with our 2 children, which we have done many times over the years. We had one small case and my children had small bags and my wife a handbag. The case I believe met their maximum size requirements, in any case (no pun intended) having flown a lot I know that this case fits under the seat in front.

However we were charged a £25 holding charge and the case placed in hold (after we lifted it on board the plane with a tag the ground staff places on it.) It had wheels, which seems to be the real issue. To avoid trouble on flight back to Oslo today (only an overnight stay in London) I paid for it to be checked in as a 10 kg case. We were met with the ludicrous site on waiting to board today of about 80% of passengers having a priority board pass so they could get their hand luggage cases on. The signs also said “boarding” when in reality the plane wasn’t on the tarmac yet and we had to wait 20 mins before boarding started with of course people standing on the stairway waiting on the plane being ready.

This is back to the bad old days for Ryanair. We used to fly with them before allocated seats were given when our children were toddlers and we had some bad experiences however when they started seat allocation our experience of them improved and in recent years I had started to think relatively highly of them as we had few problems with them (generally punctual and cabin crew generally friendly, children and I like their snack selection etc.). This has ended again due to this need for “priority ticket” to take a small hand luggage case on, which turns out not to be priority in any case (another pun). We are going to avoid them again for a while and hopefully they will have a re-think on this.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

First and last time I will book anything with Ryanair. £54.31 for a phone call to amend a flight. Ryanair actually terminated the call twice resulting in me having to call back again and again and be sat in a holding queue. After 4 days of unhelpful robots, automated services and going around in circles I was finally given a real life person further my complaint. This resulted in being told, that in fact, this is all me error for calling them in the first place and will not be reimbursing any call costs! What an appalling company to deal with. 1 star = very dissatisfied with the company. It pains me to give them that. However could not log review without it.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I recently flew with Ryanair from Bucharest to London Stansted. About 3 hours before the flight, I paid to move my seat from row 30 to row 4. When I boarded the flight, the gate staff changed my seat back to the original in row 30. The staff onboard the flight confirmed there was NO ISSUE with the seat that I had paid for. Ryanair are now refusing to confirm to me why exactly I couldn't sit in the seat, and their only response when I continuously ask, is "per our terms and conditions we cannot give a refund." So they're just going to keep my money, and offer no explanation whatsoever!! Their support team are rude, biased and very unfair.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Staff on Ryanair had me in tears today, on a flight from London Gatwick to Dublin (which was delayed and hour and a half), because of how rudely they spoke to me. Being stuck on a plane for hours, unable to use the toilet, with no updates, is bad enough, but to them be so unnecessarily aggressive and dismissive is just completely unacceptable. I wouldn't expect that from a stranger on the street, let alone from a company who has taken my money and then provided a service far from what was promised.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: May 22, 2019

I was flying from Athens to Stansted. The lady at the gate said she had to charge me twenty euros for my small hand luggage (within legal measurements) and my small purse. I explained this was not written anywhere on my boarding pass. Plus coming from Stansted I didn't have any problems like this. I insisted to speak to a manager and she said there was no one there. In addition she gave me no receipt! This is proper stealing. I was extremely disappointed with this behavior! Is this how Ryanair makes profit? If this is not looked into I will ensure I convey this bad experience to my friends and relatives. At the end of the day, I would rather be treated with respect and decency. On top of all this, the flight was massively delayed. So disappointed.

It occurred on: 22/05/2019 I was forced to pay 20 Euros. (Like strict blackmail or stealing) Either this or you don't fly. What if I wasn't carrying money on me? Extremely unprofessional. Nowhere written on my boarding pass either. I expect a sincere apology and refund of the 20 euros. Also, change of rules and being extremely clear on the boarding pass what the alternatives should be early on for the passengers. I used to be a frequent customer of Ryanair. This will change from now on.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Changing the bag sizes was news to me as I flew with Ryanair last year alone on 5 different occasions, only once had a problem with flight being delayed 2hr 50 minutes! I went on my holiday last week and at the airport, came to surprise, that my backpack was not hand luggage! Over 20 people got trapped by this and that was just the one flight! I actually felt sorry for the staff as they had people getting very angry at them. Flight ended up being delayed as well as we all had to pay £20 before getting on the flight, of which they just took our bags and popped them underneath anyway! If it was a suitcase I would understand but like me and so many others, we had small bags or backpacks! Ryanair must be making a fortune from these people and they come across as cheaper but after this you may as well fly with any other airline because I guarantee, others are definitely cheaper!

Original review: May 15, 2019

1st time flying with Ryanair and my last traveling home from Alicante to Manchester 9/5/2019 flight was delayed by 2 hour. Sat in waiting lounge watching the flights boarding signs still saying delayed. My wife had some stomach trouble so went to the ladies restroom no sooner had she gone the flight started boarding. I went to the gate to inform them and was told by a horrid little man the gate shut in 2 minutes. Ran to the restroom to tell my wife we need to go. Ran back to the gate. As my wife walk up I told this horrid man that’s her we could both see her as she got to the gate. He informed us the gate is now shut. We waited 2 hours and he wouldn’t wait 2 minutes. The plane stayed at the gate a further hour. We had to rebook a later flight costing 400 euros that was delayed by 2 hour and stayed at the gate a further hour and a half. Ryanair highwaymen of the skies never again.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Awful experience with a Venice-Stansted return flight. Outbound flight with 2,5 hour delay. Return flight checked-in online, arriving 90 min before at the airport, there was a long queue at the security check then there was a problem with the automatic luggage check-in and no help from the staff. Another queue at the helping desk and then a run to the gate. Arriving at the gate the awful lady had just closed the gate 20 minutes before departure and told us the pilot ordered to discharge our luggage. One more night in London with consequences for all the family (4 people). Huge damage at work and lost day at school. We will never fly Ryanair again and we will have one additional mission in our life: create as many as possible troubles to Ryanair reputation and we will constitute Anti-Ryanair groups to collect all the disappointment against them and make them close their activity for economical crisis!!!!

Original review: May 10, 2019

Our passports and cash were stolen in Alicante the evening before our booked flight back to Newcastle early the next morning. Although we had our tickets and assurances from Border Force in Newcastle that it would sort out the passport problem there, Ryanair staff refused to allow us to board. After the plane left with our 2 empty but paid for seats, we managed to get temporary passports in Alicante and flew back 12 hours later via a very helpful Jet2. We will never again fly (or not fly!) with Ryanair

Original review: May 10, 2019

I choose my dates and my seats and when I wanted to pay a pop up widow appeared saying that a problem has occurred and I have to insert everything once again. When I did that (which took 2 seconds) all the prices changed, even the priority and seats prices! This is robbery!!! Very disappointed!

Original review: May 6, 2019

I rarely take the time to write reviews, but I feel it necessary to warn people about Ryanair. I tried to check in online before my flight, but neither their app or their website were working. I figured, “No worries. I’ll just check in at the airport. I don’t even have any bags to check”. But when I got to the ticket counter I was informed that because I did not check in online I would be charged a 55 Euro “check in fee”. I was at the ticket counter an hour and a half before my flight, but they told me you could only check in in person 2 hours before a flight to avoid the 55 Euro fee? I’ve never heard of ANY other airline doing something like this.

I asked if I had any other options since I had tried to check in via their app and website which had not been working. I was rudely told “Pay the fee now, or get out of line and don’t fly with us.” To top it all off, the exchange rate to US dollars made my fee increase to $61.52. They also charged the two people I was traveling with, so in total we paid $184.56 for a “check in fee”. Ryanair must make a fortune doing this to people. Don’t let them do this to you! Don’t fly Ryanair!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Although I had traveled with Ryanair before and had no major complaints, this time I missed my flight and this was because I was mainly delayed at check in. When I showed my ticket to the lady at Flexi+ she told me I had to wait at the long line next to her whereas I didn't have to wait at all as I had already bought priority and 2 hand luggages, so I could proceed to the gate right away... Nobody informed me about that!!! She also gave us a wide range of gate numbers e.g.30-43 (another cause for delay as I kept looking all around to find mine) and no warning at all about rushing to those gates as it was already late!!!

Other airlines call out passenger names who have not boarded the plane (as they could have for example lost their way) but for them nothing matters, they're the epitome of indifference!!! As for customer service, a robot chat gives the same answers to everyone, it's probably 'cause they want you to give up real fast!!! Sorry, never again!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Basically a licensed rip-off. I flew with them one last time... Indeed in my recent experience I was send an email telling me to check-in online prior getting to the airport in order to avoid extra fees (55 euros). So first thing is, they send important emails once in a while among ALL their commercial emails and advertisements intended to sell you something else - so you basically have to open and read all of these in order to detect important information.

Now, if it was only that, that would be annoying but acceptable for those with a high tolerance for scammers. What happened to me was, I actually tried to connect and check-in (which shouldn't by any mean be mandatory - since when can't we check-in at the airport like normal travelers - but oh well it's a 'rule') only to realize that their system was 'down' at this exact moment. I then headed to the airport where they basically told me I had to pay or I couldn't travel (not even in a nice way, more in a ** off kind of way). So I pay up, get a paper with the website to file a complaint (at this moment the employees were telling me that they aren't gonna refund me anyway).

Next step, I complained, and then we exchange 2 weeks of emails (when they dared to answer) with a representative of Ryanair with an already cooked up answer that first wasn't fitting to my particular problem and then telling me to basically go fly a kite because they won't do anything about it. They asked me to send the print screen of my attempt to check-in, 2 weeks after (so of course I didn't have it - I didn't even take it at first as I thought I'd check in at the airport) and then just disregarded my issue by ignoring me. Worst company, and I've seen a lot of bad companies. Avoid it unless you like bad surprises. It really seems like a well rounded scam.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Why would anyone in their right mind book with this company who offer no compensation at all for any reason. Oh yes you can change your flight or your destination at an enormous exorbitant cost... as long as you do this before your original flight booking.... What a joke. Booked a flight last year to Lanzarote for this September 2019--- The villa that we booked has now been sold by the owner and is no longer available - lots of searching to find alternative but no luck so no holiday - Customer Service were hopeless and obviously reading pre-printed script!!! What a shambles - in my opinion they are unscrupulous unhelpful and thieves of the air - DONT USE THEM. THEY DONT DESERVE TO BE IN BUSINESS.

Original review: April 27, 2019

50 pound fee for checking us in. This surely can't be standard procedure for any airline. Disgusting behaviour. They must be shut down by the regulators as a matter of urgency. I implore you to please do something about this terrible airline.

Original review: April 23, 2019

April 2019. I was traveling all around Scotland 3 weeks before by Ryanair flight. I didn't have access to a printer so I couldn't print my boarding pass. I got to the airport 15 minutes late only to find that they were hitting me with a 50 pound penalty. As a senior citizen, I pleaded my case with the ticket agent and she said it was policy not to waive the fee. Now keep in mind the 50 pounds was more than double the price of my ticket. So I said I'm better off just re-booking my flight and not paying the 50 pound fee.

They said, "no you can't do that the flight is booked." However, if I pay the 50 pounds in addition to what I already paid for the ticket, they can find a seat for me. That was just terrible. They may have robbed me the 50 pounds this time, but do you think I will ever fly that airline again? No way! Not only did they lose a customer, but they lost any future business. Whoever the marketing person is who came up with that policy should be fired. It discriminates against Americans because we don't see this type of fine or penalty for not checking in 2 hours before a flight. I flew a different airline on the way back. It's their loss.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Received repetitive and robotic answers from customer service complaints department following a flight delay. Just a copy and paste of standard responses. No willingness to resolve a complaint from a disgruntled mistreated customer so I will simply no longer use this airline and share my views on this diabolically unreasonable company to anyone who will listen.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Ryanair charge me GBP110 at the airports because I did not check in online and did not arrive more than 2 hours before the departure. The airfare itself was GBP311.42 for a return flight from/to London and Sofia for my business trip. The trick there was that I went to the Online Boarding Check-In site when Ryanair sent me the e-mails to do online check-in and selected the seats. When I completed the check-in at home in London and at the hotel in Sofia, the screen changed to the online web home page. I believed that I had checked in but was told at the airport that I had not checked in and they (the person at Stanstead and Nikolay ** at Sofia Airport) got me pay additional GBP 55 each at each airport. It is a controversial practice to charge additionally 35% of the airfare because of their poor IT system.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I flew to am Rome (Ciampino) from Stanstead for a 4 day break. My luggage was initially lost. It was eventually was found and located back to Stanstead 8 hours after my arrival. I was told by the luggage information team that it would be delivered to me the following morning around 8-9 am. My case was delivered to me 12 hours late. I spent the whole day calling the luggage information desk but they ignore all calls it. Ryanair customer service were not interested. I wrote to Ryanair when I got back to London, only to received a automated response not addressing my issue. Ryanair purposely ignore all complaints in the hope customer will give up. Ryanair you are so unprofessional...

Original review: April 9, 2019

My wife and I were on a trip from London-Stansted airport to Cork on March 28, 2019. We got to the airport 90 minutes prior to departure, with plenty of time to check in. As this was our first flight on Ryanair, we were not aware of their online check-in policy. We never received any reminders or texts to prompt us to proceed with early check-in. We were told to make a line with Customer Service. Even though we had plenty of time before our flight, the line was slow and several people were allowed to cut in. As a result, it took too long to pay for the $144.85 check-in penalty. Staff then misdirected us to the wrong bag drop-off and we missed the 40 minute cut off for boarding by 2 minutes.

To add insult to injury, we were then told that we would have to rebook to the next available flight 4 hours later and charged an additional $118.51. We had a confrontation with several members of the company that were unhelpful and actually blamed us for the situation. We finally did get help from a manager. Even he admitted that our experience and delay was frustrating and could have been avoided with improved efficiency and better guidance from staff. We sent Ryanair a detailed email explaining what happened and asking for a refund of the excess charges we incurred. They dismissed our arguments and again missed the opportunity to correct a poorly handled situation. They truly live up to their horrible reputation for customer service.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I, Prashant ** had booked flight from Barcelona to Venice on 25th March, **. I arrived at the drop in counter at 5:45am, at least 1.5 hrs before the boarding time to drop my 10kg baggage of desired size. We were also carrying two small handbags of desired size & weight for myself & my wife. But to my surprise, the lady at the baggage counter yelled at us & told that we had not checked in earlier so now you have to pay 190 euros for all 3 bags. She gave no reasons for why we need to pay such a huge amount for just one 10kg check in bag. I repeatedly pleaded her that we have limited money & requested to help but she again shouted and told that if you want to board flight, pay money. We were left with no choice but to cough up 190 euros for reasons not known to us as we were in a foreign country & were scared. We also felt that she was racially biased as she was talking nicely to people of fair color.

After paying 190 Euros, I asked her whether we can take our handbags with us & she replied in positive. Our nightmare didn’t stopped here. On reaching boarding gates, we were again stopped & asked to pay 40 euros again. I was utterly shocked & asked the person reason for again charging for handbag but he gave no proper response & said that your bags will go only if you pay again. I can see the coldness & insensitivity in his eyes for us. My wife was in tears as we have to pay the last 50 euros to him to allow our bags inside the plane.

After this horrific racially abusive experience, me & my wife are in a state of shock & trauma because something like this never happened to us with any airlines in our whole life. We felt humiliated & disrespected on one hand & on the other side our hard earned money was robbed by your staff for no reasons. I am scared to fly again with Ryanair air again as we have another flight on 1st April which we decided to cancel. Ryanair air is the worst airlines with no morality and they are trained how to take advantage of helpless passenger. I demand a strong action against this airlines including cancellation of their license. Also I claim for punitive damages for the racial discrimination done to us along with refund of extra money fleeced from us without reason.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Sorry, that could be send as the daftest question, but so annoying, why when all the seats around you are empty, you put us in the middle of separate rows, is this to encourage everyone to book early, as any couples booking will have to sit either side of me. We now know why at the last resort we book Ryanair. As to live chat, not 100% sure. It's not a clever computer as did not know some very basic facts. Computer says no!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Absolutely awful airline. Travelled with them last August to Corfu, awful service, nothing like easyJet, swore I never would again but unfortunately made the mistake of booking with them recently via Loveholidays. Two weeks after booking I needed to change one of the parties due to one person not being able to come and even though we had yet to enter in passport details and I made the changes online, they charged £115!!! Not only that but you can now no longer take a small case into the hold, only a much smaller bag that fits under the seat, so we were also charged extra for the small case. Looking up other airlines, EasyJet still has the small case as a free hold bag and only charges £25 to change a name. After this, definitely no more Ryanair!!!

Original review: March 26, 2019

I and my friends had booked a flight from To Rome (Ciampino) FR8332 Prague - Rome (Ciampino) on 14th March 2019. We were not quite aware of Ryanair's stupid policy of checking online prior, so far not seen like that in any other airlines that we traveled by. We reached just 15 mins after the online check-in was closed. The crew was not very helpful and quite rude in telling us the airlines policy. We had to pay more than 55 Euros for check-in and when asked why the extra charge, they were not quite aware of it. The lady told us this the cost that my system gave me I don't anything about it. To be precise we paid 4950 CZK per person which is almost the cost we paid for booking the tickets. The airlines should advertise less and not misguide the customer. Instead, their focus should be on educating customers about their policies in bold letters if they are going to charge such stupid fees. Would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Name: Dennis **. Itinerary Number: **. Message: I booked a flight on Ryanair from Malaga to Birmingham for 28th March 2019. I have still not received email confirmation from Ryanair. The booking date was March 21st 2019. The payment of 100 GBP was taken from my account on March 21st 2019. I checked my account which says that the payment is pending (meaning Ryanair has not accepted my payment yet). I phoned Ryanair & they stated that they'd found my booking & would email me the details, I am still waiting hours later for them to do this. I am very displeased with how they deal with customer inquiries.

Original review: March 20, 2019

We had to pay 250 pounds at the airport to receive out boarding pass as it would not let us log in online. We ran the airport and was told to come to the airport for assistant. When we arrived we explained and they just ignored us and turned their backs. Worst experience.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Not normally one for negative reviews but Ryanair deserve some attention for their absolutely disgusting customer service. Our flight was delayed 3 hours and we had no choice but to leave as our little one was already under the weather. They emailed apologizing and offering to refund or re-book if we were unable to travel. 3 days of rude, unhelpful customer service, being hung up on, and they refuse to honor either offer, advising they would only do so if we did it BEFORE the delayed flight finally departed!?? Even though the email was sent AFTER the flight departed??? They also refuse to reimburse for nonrefundable accommodation booked at destination. Just FYI...strongly advise to avoid at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Ryanair is the worst airline company! Do not fly with them!!! It was our first flight and it will be the last one with Ryanair (flight from Fuerteventura to Luton on 20th February 2019). At the border control from Fuerteventura we had to provide more identification documents in addition to the passports. Even though my husband and I have explained that we are from EU and we came on the island as tourists for at least 4 time over the last 2 years. Then they asked us questions as: what do we do in the UK and also to provide the address where we live in the UK, and as an explanation of all of this they ended up saying ironically that is just a double check. It was really embarrassing because we were the only tourists who were stopped at the queue and the other passengers from EU countries didn't got questioned at all. They don’t care about us!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Today 19.02.2019 had a check in for a Ryanair flight from Bucharest to Stanstead (Reference ** Flight FR 1008 ) Otopeni Bucharest around 4.10 pm we had booked Priority tickets, at the gate one of the Ryanair “staff ladies" picked my wife for checking one of the cabin bag and had a go at my wife, rather aggressive than civilized on the size of this cabin bag as it’s bigger than the standard.

I just stepped out and I’ve said to the “lady" we had all the bags checked when we left Stanstead last Friday and earlier 3.15 pm at the main front desk when we had to wait patiently for 30 minutes for the confirmation of the only one 20 kg checked bag which we had it booked and paid on 18.02.2019. I tried to get an explanation why Ryanair airline is using a double standards unexpectedly this "Lady" exploded (shocking my whole family and the people around us). She was far from treating us with respect. Extremely rude, unprofessional and very aggressive.

At this point I’ve asked her if she could give me her name as she had no ID badge visible. This just sparked the atmosphere and she got my whole family out of the line. Asking for her name again she was completely out of the box and my family was scared about the whole situation. Took my phone out to record the Ryanair airline “employee's behavior “ and I took a picture of her face. The Lady was shouting and threatened me like will call airport security to escort me out and I’ll lose my flight. I decided to make a formal complaint to her next in line manager but my girls were nearly crying and begging me to do whatever this ”Lady” demands.

She was shouting to me to delete the picture taken with her face and to show up the phone for her to check that, meanwhile also she took a picture of me with her phone. I said it’s fine as I’m not going to leave her impressive show without a explanation. I am still under the shock as after more than 10 years of using Ryanair airline and never had a bad experience. I hope you can check the video recording from the terminal and somehow to discipline this “Lady" which was called by one or her colleagues “Andrea." Hopefully you will reply to the message as we will try to seek legal advice in this problem.

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information