1.00/5

81 Ryanair Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

BEWARE!! I would give them negative stars if possible. They are absolute criminals, if you do not check in 2 hours before the flight they charge you 55 pounds per check in! Because their absolutely terrible website did not work, we missed our check in by 11 minutes while waiting in the “customer service” line. Not only was their customer service agent inept, she said there was nothing they could do regardless of if their website was ** and “serviced” us by charging us a fee to check in which was more than the cost of our flight. DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM. They will find ways to charge you that end up costing you more than your flight, I assume this is how they make their money cause they are budget AF. I will never fly with them again, bunch of crooks.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

This airline company is fraudulent and the way it conducts its services are unethical, illegal and a scam. I am surprised they are in operation and have not been taken to court more times or had their company license removed. I flew with Ryanair (for the first time) in September 2018. I had heard that they have strict rules about hand luggage. And that they had recently begun charging people to take onboard a passenger bag. For me, this wasn't the problem. I actually didn't have hand luggage as I only flew with a large handbag. I booked my journey from Malaga to Barcelona to stay one night. I had to pick up a suitcase that was in storage for me at a friend's house.

When I made the booking online initially, there was the option to "add baggage to journey", in the "manage my booking" area. This was very UNCLEAR and VAGUE, with no clear instructions. It simply says 'click here to add baggage to flight', therefore it appeared as a token for the whole return journey. Therefore I added the baggage for 33 euros. And I thought everything was fine and organised. Now, bear in mind, that I only needed to check-in the suitcase on the way back (incoming journey) as I had flown to Barcelona especially to collect the suitcase. I didn't check-in a suitcase on my outgoing journey from Malaga. But when I went to check-in my suitcase at Barcelona for my incoming journey (after collecting it from my friend's house), I was told it hadn't been paid for on the system.

I insisted that I had already paid for the baggage (33 euros) but then they told me about a "little-hidden clause" that you have to select which journey to add the baggage, and since it had been allocated online to my outgoing journey when I made the booking, they told me it wasn´t applicable. Let me RECAP, I HAD ALREADY PAID TO CHECK-IN THE BAG BUT HADN'T CHECKED IT IN YET. So they demanded that I pay again at the desk to check-in my suitcase for the flight. I had to pay 44 euros. I was totally shocked and disgusted about this. When I complained about it, they smiled sweetly and said that if I contacted customer services I would definitely get a refund since I had paid to check-in the bag TWICE but only used the facility ONCE.

However, when I attempted to contact customer services on the website, it took me an hour to connect with the live chat agent, who briefly told me why they had charged me and then terminated the chat after about 1 minute. There was no way to email customer services about refunds other than the small list of options they provide (such as a death in family, cancellation or delay) and NO CONTACT number to call either. The customer services department is a complete joke and I'm surprised they haven't had their license taken away from them. Since there is no way to contact them directly with general complaints and specific inquiries. Surely this in itself is a breach of consumer rights. It's the kind of service that you see on a TV programme of holiday worst nightmares for some dodgy scamming company who later gets arrested for robbing and scamming its customers.

Furthermore, when I had collected my bag on arrival it was damaged and the wheels were nearly falling off (!) so I had to make a complaint about that too. I have no idea how this company is still in operation. I will NEVER EVER fly with them again. In fact, I feel like reporting them to the police as well as the CAA. Not to mention the thousands of other people the company seems to be upsetting for similar reasons like hidden costs, surprise check-in fees and constant delayed/cancelled flights, and lost or damaged baggage. I've read all the horror stories out of sympathy following my own encounter with them. When the company goes out of business, I will be celebrating with a bottle of champagne. Cheers to that!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We went on holiday to Faro. I booked with Ryanair because the flight timings were good, though not cheap. I booked Priority for flights there and back, and although I booked as early as possible was allocated a seat apart from my husband, so paid £13 to sit together. So this was £41 extra for nothing. On the flight back, we were allocated middle seats in rows 9 and 23, even though I had booked 1st thing and paid all that extra, making it £400 in all. We managed to sit together as over half the flight were single passengers and didn’t mind swapping. SHAME ON YOU RYANAIR and we will never fly with you again. You are nasty, mean and should lose your license for all the misery you have caused.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Instead of checking in online and not be able to print my own boarding pass I just thought to check in at the airport. I was there 1 hour and 55 minutes before flight departure. Instead of just helping me they charged me 55 pounds (75 euros) to print my boarding pass. This money is not going towards some charity or emission compensation but straight in the pocket of the company. And I know that strictly seen I wasn't on time and rules are there for a reason, but this fee is really out of proportion! Watch them!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I made reservation MU3CVC (Frankfurt to Corfu) on 9/8/2018 using the “Flexi Plus” option given I was connecting from overseas with a long haul flight with plenty of luggage. At the time of the purchase, the relevant information page was indicating that the 20 kg baggage was indeed included. When I tried to check in at Frankfurt airport on 11/09/210 I was extremely surprised that I was asked to pay 50 Euros for the 20 kg allowance - Your employees were referring to an ambiguous policy change - which I cannot locate on your website. What I was able to find is that you removed the 20 kg allowance from the “Flexi Plus.” However you still provide it for the “Plus”. However, at the time of my booking “Flexi Plus” was also eligible for 20 kg so the airline did not honor its ticket's terms and conditions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have flights booked to Tenerife for 17th Sept '18. Unfortunately my circumstances have changed and I wish to change my flight. I have logged on to Ryanair website, followed instructions for changing flights but after finding suitable flights the web page would not let me move on to complete. I have tried several times with the same result. When I tried the chat line for help it just asked me to do what I had already done. Tried to call but was held in a queue then cut off, twice. Never fly with them again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Cancelled our flights to Sweden without telling us. Only found out when we tried to print our boarding passed. Pilot strike is the reason given. To make matters worse Ryanair made a press announcement that all their customers had been informed. This is a lie, strong language but if they take me to court I will prove they lied. To make matters worse they have just sent me an email telling me it is time I printed our boarding passes. I know three other people in this area who have had Ryanair flights cancelled in the last month. I'll never fly with them again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I love love love the thought of flying around Europe for 20 - 25 Euro per flight but at what cost? I had to pay for my one overweight bag twice! If you pay online for 2 bags because you have one overweight bag, they will make you pay AGAIN at the ticket counter 11 Euro for each kilo you are over, even though I have proof that on their website it says the excess fee is 10 Euro per kilo. I was made to pay an additional 55 Euros (for 5 kilos over) at the counter and was told to contact Ryanair to get my refund. Now I know they are in Dublin, I think, but they act like they don't know English. Common sense says if a customer pays twice for the same excess baggage they are due a refund.

HORRIBLE!!! I wound up paying close to $100 per ticket (from Rome to Barcelona and then to Paris) just due to the overweight bag fees and then leaving from Paris back to Rome, I paid approximately $250 for that ticket. It's not worth it in the end. They are thieves! And the flight hit so many turbulence I was certain 2x we were going to die.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Ryanair is there any chance to get through all those thunderstorms over the Europe and start responding on our EU261 regulation related claims? You can do at least that since you have ruined many peoples vacation just because you are unable to handle your own staff and they have to strike. Our flight from London Stansted to Pardubice on 28th of July was cancelled 2 hours before its planned departure, no one was taking calls and your web chat support parody was disconnecting. You have not sent a single email or SMS message to us. We have tried to contact one of your resellers and even them confirmed that it is impossible to contact you because when the call reaches end of your support hours it simply hangs (no comment). Thank you?

Original review: July 28, 2018

Arrived at Stansted on time. Had to get a connecting flight, Ryanair lost the entire plane's luggage causing us to miss our flight, we only had hand luggage, which they made us put in the hold as we hadn't paid to take it on board, (which we didn't know about), trying to get our luggage so we could've made our flight was a waste of time. Not one person would help, not even the manager. 1.5 hours after landing we finally got our luggage missing the flight, So for the privilege of their incompetence we had to spend 6 hours in a queue to be told we had to pay £200 for standby in the morning, spend the night in the airport. Now after being told we can claim the money back, twice they have blamed us, and keep stating it's our responsibility to be at the airport on time. Nobody seems to have actually read our complaint. NEVER AGAIN FLYING RYANAIR.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I never imagined a company would treat customers so poorly until I met Ryanair. Multiple times I needed to get in touch via chat because the online reservation kept changing the DOB for my travelers. The latest time which I'm still waiting in chat window promised a 92 minute wait. The clock has been sitting on 1 minute now for over an hour. I've already been warned about the boarding pass stamp required, and fully expect them to come up with new creative ways to make me pay more for the flight. Disgraceful.

Original review: July 21, 2018

It is the second time I am trying to change some details to my bookings which requires online or call service support. I have tried twice to be in a 92 minutes 'queue' and twice is was 'lost because of the connection error' although no issues accrued with anything else. When I have tried to call the helpdesk - it is just cutting off by saying, that they are too busy. As a customer, I feel very disappointed, that I can't get support when I need it and I don't have where to call or express this awful experience.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Partner and I booked return flights from Glasgow to Lisbon. In trying to check in online discovered that unless you paid for selected seats you couldn’t check in until 48 hours before flight and that made checking in for return flight difficult as not sure of web access. I knew Ryanair were extortionate charges if you didn’t book in online. Ended up lying for booked seats just to be able to check in. A con. Arrived at airport boarded plane to be told a member of cabin crew had phoned in sick and flight delayed until replacement arrived.

Now Ryanair must have known this before they made everyone board plane. We were then given a long series of misleading and utterly wrong information about where the replacement cabin crew was and how long it would take them to arrive. Eventually after 2 hours 40 minutes sitting in a hot plane with no food or water offered the crew member turned up. Of course Ryanair are now trying to deny even basic compensation of food and drink vouchers. I will never fly Ryanair again and I will tell everyone I know not to. Everything about this company is about extracting extra money from customers and nothing is about customer care or relations. Never again!

Original review: July 18, 2018

You will get lured in by low fares, and then end up paying more than the flight itself in outrageous "surprise" fees. How this airline is allowed to operate is a legislative Bermuda Triangle. No wonder they are the "most profitable" airline in Europe! Like many of the others who left prior reviews, my friend and I were also trapped by the 55 euro fee for not checking in online at least 2 hrs prior to the flight (never mind that we never received notification... and what if a passenger doesn't have access to online data while traveling?).

And we were charged an additional 50 euro fee for not purchasing baggage ahead of time (though one of us actually had and they simply said it didn't show in their system, so they charged us again! Since their online receipts are not itemized, you cannot prove the inflated price includes a bag fee! They intentionally claim to send important notifications to US mobile phones, where they know you won't get them, or to your spam box, while they send annoying ads perfectly to your inbox!). And they have a lovely message glued to the payment counter at the airport, stating "We do not tolerate any inappropriate language, aggressive behavior, or raised voices, and we reserve the right to refuse service..." Now that sounds promising!

A scam of a company, a sham, a scandal, whatever you want to call it, STAY AWAY. Hey Michael Kevin O'Leary (head of Ryan Air) --> how about some karma? I later found out some family members of mine had all vowed not to use the airline due to these kinds of practices. One even had to cut her trip short because they canceled her return flight, and told her she had to come back one day early. Really, Ryan Air should be shut down, I'm gobsmacked they are allowed to operate.

Original review: July 14, 2018

On 26 June we arrived at Dublin Airport from Bristol. The plane was one and a half hours late. Myself and two other elderly passengers were tricked off the plane by an Airport worker wearing a Team Controller suit. We were told that Airport assistance would be with us within half an hour and we were ushered into a passenger terminal and told to wait. We were also advised that we were unable to make our own way through the airport, help might not arrive for at least two hours. When we left the aircraft we noticed that there was a queue of passengers waiting to board the plane. We then realized that we had been tricked off the aircraft with a false promise of assistance.

I lodged a complaint with Dublin Airport and their investigation was a total whitewash and no effort was made to answer my concerns regarding the Airport worker who ushered us off the aircraft. Instead they passed the buck back unto the Ryanair Stewards on the plane. Please note if you are disabled and this happens to you. Then refuse to leave the aircraft. All airports have a duty of care to provide Disabled Assistance within the European Union.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I felt extremely bad travelling with Ryanair. If you check in the airport, you need to pay 55 euros per person — and you will need to spend extra time on this process. You need to check in online, but the information about that is small script and intentionally kept as not obvious, so that as many people as possible would be caught on this trick. When you buy several tickets, you can only add extra baggage for all together, not per passenger so that you would spend extra money. It is departing from worst places in the airport, gates are changing several times (!) last minute and there are frequent delays — so that they can save extra money. Stay away from Ryanair and pay a bit more for a much better service! I personally add it to my blacklist.

Original review: July 13, 2018

On the plane boarding in the Palermo airport, inside the plane and after have passed the check-in and the gate control before to get into the plane the cabin supervisor named "Claudio" in a very rude mode ask me for my ticket... I had my boarding pass in my iPhone that I have saved in my suitcase. I told him that I already have passed by two controls. Why the reason to demand the ticket when I show him from my cel. the boarding pass in which the seats were indicated. He insisted in a very rude mode that he wanted to see the ticket. I showed him the screen of my cel in which I had the boarding pass but he insisted that what I show him was not the ticket.

Tired of the situation I told him that I would take seat and then I would show him the "famous" ticket that he claimed. He went mad, and he told me that he would get me down of the plane!!! I answered him that I would present a complaint to the police if he ever dare to not let me flight. I wonder what kind of supervisor of board does Ryanair employ on its planes? Nevermore I will take a Ryanair flight! That's for sure!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I had the worst flying experience ever, first time flying with Ryanair. I have a strong feeling your company is a fraud and scam company that tries to steal money from its customers in order to compensate for cheap flights. I purchased a ticket Online with Ryanair, I got purchase confirmed email as appears in attachment and was sure that the flight is booked and no issues to be expected. When I got to the airport and waited in line for 40 minutes, I was told that I cannot get on the plane as I haven't performed online check-in. I thought it was a joke as I've been flying for years with different companies and never heard of such thing. I was requested to pay penalty of 55Euro!!! Which is 3 times the price of the ticket!

After wasting a lot of time with customer service, I had no choice but to pay 3 times the price of the ticket to get on the plane! Otherwise they explicitly said I would not get on the plane and be left at the airport! If this is not a fraud, I don't know what is! I was traveling in Cyprus with limited internet access, it never said anywhere on the booking/confirmation emails that I must check-in online otherwise I will be fined with 3 times the price of the ticket! I am planning to warn people in any way possible to not use this company as it is a scam company.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have flown Ryan Air several times... This time was horrible. I booked online... It sent me my original purchase/itinerary. It did not send anything ever by SMS. I could not check in online and went to the airport 2.5 hrs early... Was at main counter for Ryan Air/Shannon Airport. At 8am I was in line to try and figure out how to check in online (hoping they had a separate set up at airport on a screen or similar, not through counter agent for example). At 8:30am I finally got to the lady at the counter who was very rude (basically gave me the so sad too bad story). It wasted my time to even enable me to check in online because it was now past 8:20 am (2 hrs before the flight was scheduled to take off) and she told me my only option now was to pay 55 Euro each at counter in order to now get on the flight.

I had no choice since I needed to be on the flight. A scam really since she also said I agreed to their terms and should have received an SMS as well to enable me to check in (and in the same breath also said... Well you have a US # and that’s probably why you didn’t get one). Funny thing since I receive every other msg while abroad. Now the flight is currently delayed for 2 hrs and I was charged the extra fees when I shouldn’t have been. Who do we complain to as consumers regarding licensing and the contracted terms with this company... They did not comply with their terms to facilitate the only check in process.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I had only one handbag, but because they said the plane is full they will take my bag away and give it back at arrival. At arrival, the bag was half opened and I had 220 pounds missing from it. The person at baggage claim said she can't help me, she wouldn't even write down my complaint, because she said it's my fault I didn't look after the bag - EVEN THOUGH they took it away for the flight - NOT TO MENTION THAT ABOVE MY SEAT IN THE PLANE THE BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT WAS EMPTY. Please use a different company.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Traveled to Budapest from UK on the 20th. Staff not friendly during boarding. It was an hour delay for take off. Did not hear any apology from the pilot or the Team.

Coming back from Budapest on the 23rd on a late fly it was again about 11/2 hours delays. Once in the plane, the team rushing the passengers to hurry up to get the seats. When the plane took off the team were more interested in doing their business: Selling stuffs, duty free items... rather than offering a free drink. We were a family of 3. We missed the last train because of the delay. So now beside the paid train tickets we had to pay for coach tickets and then a taxi to get home.

Original review: June 24, 2018

As a very frequent traveller, I used to be the first to dread screaming babies. Now with my own child, I have learnt why some babies go into meltdown on a plane...and travelling with Ryanair last week taught me that this airline does absolutely nothing to help mitigate the risks of that happening. Specifically: On the outgoing flight (from MRS) and return flight (from PMI), Ryanair started boarding passengers and then made us wait, standing up, for approximately 45 minutes before boarding the plane. We were crammed like sardines in some prefab hall. Despite paying the Priority Boarding, we were about 50th to get on board - and that was only after having to fold away the pushchair on the boiling tarmac and clambering up a very rickety set of stairs to get into the plane. On the way back, we were forced to wait on the bus (again crammed in the heat) for about 30 minutes while staff reportedly cleaned the plane.

In both cases, why on EARTH did Ryanair start boarding people into halls and buses instead of waiting until they were truly ready? As parents we don't expect royal treatment but if you make us wait to check in luggage (in MRS it was about 30 minutes in a queue although in PMI it was much better), cram babies into overheated halls and buses for ages, and provide no help in folding away or stashing buggies...then you get screaming babies to everyone's chagrin.

Another pointer - MRS Terminal 1 (I think) makes passengers take their luggage to a conveyer belt. Fine...but remember that two parents with a child still have quite a lot of hand luggage and need the trolley after dropping off their hold luggage. However, this is not allowed and you don't find that out until you reach the obnoxious screening staff. OK this one isn't Ryanair's fault but you should seriously think about how you could improve your passenger's out-of-plane experience as a way of improving everyone's on-flight experience. My wife and baby had to wait while I took the trolley all the way back into the terminal building, causing delays for everyone else that just wanted to get through.

I haven't even touched on the poor in-flight conditions - filthy seats and floor area, late both times despite the tinny announcements that congratulate Ryanair's record for achieving flights on time (note how this announcement is no longer about YOUR flight, but about Ryanair's flight...oh and that is on the basis of Ryanair exaggerating the flight time). Perhaps the Ryanair business model is simply to offer a junk but cheap service. If so, carry on and become extinct. There are plenty of competitors at your heels - Vueling from the other MRS terminal offers a service that is ten-fold better.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I am flying to Alicante shortly. I have not pre-booked a seat, as being a single traveler, it does not really matter. You can only check-in online 48 hours prior to flying. What Ryanair do not tell you is that if you have not paid for a seat, you can only print off the boarding pass for the outbound flight. For the inbound flight, you can only access the boarding pass while you are abroad. Ryanair have confirmed this. I told Ryanair that every airline I have flown with, I have been able to print both boarding passes before travelling. Ryanair said sorry, but if I have a smartphone or tablet, I can download their app and access the boarding pass. Not everyone has a smartphone or tablet. I think that this is a sneaky and underhanded way to make passengers pay for seats. I told Ryanair that I thought that this was totally unfair, but they did not seem to care. This is the first time that I have booked with Ryanair, and it will be the last.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Do not fly RYANAIR. Their reservation system crashed repeatedly during my attempts to buy tickets. As a result daughter's ticket said she was an adult. This kept us from checking in online. Arriving early at the airport the French customer service team sent us ALL around the airport and ran out the clock for checking in early. THEN THEY YELLED AT ME FOR BEING LATE TO CHECK IN! I had been there for over three hours.

The error was their fault. It was my fault for not catching it. They never intended to resolve anything. Each flight was OVER three hours late. To avoid having to refund the tickets, on the way to Poland they scanned our tickets and crowded the entire plane into a small hallway for us to wait for 90 minutes. On the way back they loaded us onto a plane to wait out another 90 minutes. DO NOT FLY RYANAIR - EVER.

Original review: June 20, 2018

OH MY GOSH... This company are all con artists. If I hadn't witnessed it and paid for it I would have never believed this company can continue to get away with such thievery. Had a group of 10. We all had carry ons and personal item. We were Priority & 2 cabin bags. We arrived at the airport early so we were first in line. (OH BIG MISTAKE.) Never be the first in line unless you are willing to have a measuring tape of your luggage. There were two boarding lines, so some of us go through with our luggage with no problem. But some of us didn't. I understanding the baggage limitations and specifics, but we all purchased the same carry on at Costco. Other passengers were passing through with luggage that clearly were in violation of their company standards.

At this point the boarding agent tagged 4 bags with yellow tags, counted my bags and randomly charged me $350 Euro. He then went on to say all yellow tag bags MUST go in the cargo hold. I was shocked as seeing plenty of other passengers not being charged a penny for their carry on. Attached you will see pictures of all the same bags! In fact no one was even bothered one of the yellow tag luggage was in the bin above my head. Even the flight attendant said she was astonished and said document everything and take pictures.

I set out to forge a complaint online. There is NO phone number to call, no one answers and chat line because there are no available agents. I sent an email and the response was a cut and paste of their baggage specs. No customer service just the specs. Certainly I can respect policy and procedures, but randomly choosing guests (American) to charge random prices is INSANE. Along with specifically pointing out a bag with a yellow tag to be placed in the cargo hold end up in the luggage rack above my head! This company has zero accountability, zero guest service, and zero integrity. I will never fly nor recommend this airlines. I wonder if their maintenance records of their aircrafts are maintained and forged.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We have had a family holiday planned for years. One leg involved flying from Marseilles to London. We learned the night before that our flight had been cancelled. We are out of our accommodation and must book flights with British Airways at more than double the price on very short notice. After reading nothing but terrible reviews, I have learned a lesson about discount carriers generally, and Ryanair specifically. I will diligently act to spread warnings back in Canada to avoid this outfit.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We flew back yesterday, make sure you have booked your luggage for your return flight we have been charged an extra 200 euros!!! This is scandalous. It is the most uncomfortable aircraft we have ever experienced, very cramped with a very poor service. Our outbound flight was assisted by foreign speaking crew so communication was very poor. We will never fly with Ryanair again and under no circumstances can recommend Ryanair to anyone!

Original review: June 9, 2018

This was the year. This was the year we decided to take the kids and take a year off work to travel the world. We were tight with the budget given the magnitude of this trip and so when we saw the price from Ryanair we jumped on it. We were well aware of the potential extra costs with low frill airlines and were expecting some minor costs but not 3x the cost of the flight. The day before the flight we got online and started our usual check in process. However after several attempts, we were unable to log on due to the site constantly freezing. We decided that we would simply check in at the airport. This was our first mistake. We should have attempted to contact them directly.

The next morning we drove to the airport 2 hours before our flight, got to the check in counter, and were told that we were too late to check in and would need to go and pay for the airline check in. (We were 5 min late to check in at the counter.) This fee was almost 3x the cost of our flight. I was told that I would need to file a request for refund directly to Ryanair within 7 days. As soon as we got to Belgium I contacted Ryanair explained the situation and was told that they were unable to refund our airline check in fees despite the website freezing because we accepted their terms and conditions. Hard lesson learned on our end. Read the fine print and contact them ASAP with any issues, just don't expect much.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I returned from Faro to Edinburgh early today. The flight arrived ahead of time and was a good flight with a good flight crew, the problem started at baggage collection. After standing around waiting for the conveyor to start there was an announcement from the airport staff intimating that "the delay in baggage reclaim was due to Ryanair's new policy," incoming baggage will not be handled until the outgoing baggage has been put on the plane, after this is achieved the incoming baggage would now be put on the conveyor, this is to achieve the 25 minutes turn around time, so after arriving 10.25 it was almost an HOUR later before I could collect my luggage. It this just another Ryanair ploy to make you buy a dearer ticket and take your hand luggage with you.

Original review: May 10, 2018

We booked a holiday and flights were with Ryanair. My son is 1 years old and daughter 5 years old, seats were allocated for them, which then left myself. On online check in I was very difficult to be seated together so I called Ryanair customer services in which I then paid for upgraded seats with more legroom bearing in mind we had a 1 year old!! On boarding the plane from both destinations we were NOT ALLOWED to be seated on our paid/allocated seats due to safety reasons, An air cabin crew staff then wrote me a note to say what had happened and he will also make a report of the issue as it's happened both ways. Back to the UK I made a complaint to RA who then sent me an email saying that 'we reserve the right to move passengers and you will not be getting a refund'. Urm total joke. They sell the product then screw you on air... I will not let this matter go lightly. Will take this as far as I can.

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information