1.00/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

66 Ryanair Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

On 26 June we arrived at Dublin Airport from Bristol. The plane was one and a half hours late. Myself and two other elderly passengers were tricked off the plane by an Airport worker wearing a Team Controller suit. We were told that Airport assistance would be with us within half an hour and we were ushered into a passenger terminal and told to wait. We were also advised that we were unable to make our own way through the airport, help might not arrive for at least two hours. When we left the aircraft we noticed that there was a queue of passengers waiting to board the plane. We then realized that we had been tricked off the aircraft with a false promise of assistance.

I lodged a complaint with Dublin Airport and their investigation was a total whitewash and no effort was made to answer my concerns regarding the Airport worker who ushered us off the aircraft. Instead they passed the buck back unto the Ryanair Stewards on the plane. Please note if you are disabled and this happens to you. Then refuse to leave the aircraft. All airports have a duty of care to provide Disabled Assistance within the European Union.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I felt extremely bad travelling with Ryanair. If you check in the airport, you need to pay 55 euros per person — and you will need to spend extra time on this process. You need to check in online, but the information about that is small script and intentionally kept as not obvious, so that as many people as possible would be caught on this trick. When you buy several tickets, you can only add extra baggage for all together, not per passenger so that you would spend extra money. It is departing from worst places in the airport, gates are changing several times (!) last minute and there are frequent delays — so that they can save extra money. Stay away from Ryanair and pay a bit more for a much better service! I personally add it to my blacklist.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

On the plane boarding in the Palermo airport, inside the plane and after have passed the check-in and the gate control before to get into the plane the cabin supervisor named "Claudio" in a very rude mode ask me for my ticket... I had my boarding pass in my iPhone that I have saved in my suitcase. I told him that I already have passed by two controls. Why the reason to demand the ticket when I show him from my cel. the boarding pass in which the seats were indicated. He insisted in a very rude mode that he wanted to see the ticket. I showed him the screen of my cel in which I had the boarding pass but he insisted that what I show him was not the ticket.

Tired of the situation I told him that I would take seat and then I would show him the "famous" ticket that he claimed. He went mad, and he told me that he would get me down of the plane!!! I answered him that I would present a complaint to the police if he ever dare to not let me flight. I wonder what kind of supervisor of board does Ryanair employ on its planes? Nevermore I will take a Ryanair flight! That's for sure!

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have flown Ryan Air several times... This time was horrible. I booked online... It sent me my original purchase/itinerary. It did not send anything ever by SMS. I could not check in online and went to the airport 2.5 hrs early... Was at main counter for Ryan Air/Shannon Airport. At 8am I was in line to try and figure out how to check in online (hoping they had a separate set up at airport on a screen or similar, not through counter agent for example). At 8:30am I finally got to the lady at the counter who was very rude (basically gave me the so sad too bad story). It wasted my time to even enable me to check in online because it was now past 8:20 am (2 hrs before the flight was scheduled to take off) and she told me my only option now was to pay 55 Euro each at counter in order to now get on the flight.

I had no choice since I needed to be on the flight. A scam really since she also said I agreed to their terms and should have received an SMS as well to enable me to check in (and in the same breath also said... Well you have a US # and that’s probably why you didn’t get one). Funny thing since I receive every other msg while abroad. Now the flight is currently delayed for 2 hrs and I was charged the extra fees when I shouldn’t have been. Who do we complain to as consumers regarding licensing and the contracted terms with this company... They did not comply with their terms to facilitate the only check in process.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I had only one handbag, but because they said the plane is full they will take my bag away and give it back at arrival. At arrival, the bag was half opened and I had 220 pounds missing from it. The person at baggage claim said she can't help me, she wouldn't even write down my complaint, because she said it's my fault I didn't look after the bag - EVEN THOUGH they took it away for the flight - NOT TO MENTION THAT ABOVE MY SEAT IN THE PLANE THE BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT WAS EMPTY. Please use a different company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: June 25, 2018 Traveled to Budapest from UK on the 20th. Staff not friendly during boarding. It was an hour delay for take off. Did not hear any apology from the pilot or the Team.

Coming back from Budapest on the 23rd on a late fly it was again about 11/2 hours delays. Once in the plane, the team rushing the passengers to hurry up to get the seats. When the plane took off the team were more interested in doing their business: Selling stuffs, duty free items... rather than offering a free drink. We were a family of 3. We missed the last train because of the delay. So now beside the paid train tickets we had to pay for coach tickets and then a taxi to get home.

Original review: June 24, 2018

As a very frequent traveller, I used to be the first to dread screaming babies. Now with my own child, I have learnt why some babies go into meltdown on a plane...and travelling with Ryanair last week taught me that this airline does absolutely nothing to help mitigate the risks of that happening. Specifically: On the outgoing flight (from MRS) and return flight (from PMI), Ryanair started boarding passengers and then made us wait, standing up, for approximately 45 minutes before boarding the plane. We were crammed like sardines in some prefab hall. Despite paying the Priority Boarding, we were about 50th to get on board - and that was only after having to fold away the pushchair on the boiling tarmac and clambering up a very rickety set of stairs to get into the plane. On the way back, we were forced to wait on the bus (again crammed in the heat) for about 30 minutes while staff reportedly cleaned the plane.

In both cases, why on EARTH did Ryanair start boarding people into halls and buses instead of waiting until they were truly ready? As parents we don't expect royal treatment but if you make us wait to check in luggage (in MRS it was about 30 minutes in a queue although in PMI it was much better), cram babies into overheated halls and buses for ages, and provide no help in folding away or stashing buggies...then you get screaming babies to everyone's chagrin.

Another pointer - MRS Terminal 1 (I think) makes passengers take their luggage to a conveyer belt. Fine...but remember that two parents with a child still have quite a lot of hand luggage and need the trolley after dropping off their hold luggage. However, this is not allowed and you don't find that out until you reach the obnoxious screening staff. OK this one isn't Ryanair's fault but you should seriously think about how you could improve your passenger's out-of-plane experience as a way of improving everyone's on-flight experience. My wife and baby had to wait while I took the trolley all the way back into the terminal building, causing delays for everyone else that just wanted to get through.

I haven't even touched on the poor in-flight conditions - filthy seats and floor area, late both times despite the tinny announcements that congratulate Ryanair's record for achieving flights on time (note how this announcement is no longer about YOUR flight, but about Ryanair's flight...oh and that is on the basis of Ryanair exaggerating the flight time). Perhaps the Ryanair business model is simply to offer a junk but cheap service. If so, carry on and become extinct. There are plenty of competitors at your heels - Vueling from the other MRS terminal offers a service that is ten-fold better.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I am flying to Alicante shortly. I have not pre-booked a seat, as being a single traveler, it does not really matter. You can only check-in online 48 hours prior to flying. What Ryanair do not tell you is that if you have not paid for a seat, you can only print off the boarding pass for the outbound flight. For the inbound flight, you can only access the boarding pass while you are abroad. Ryanair have confirmed this. I told Ryanair that every airline I have flown with, I have been able to print both boarding passes before travelling. Ryanair said sorry, but if I have a smartphone or tablet, I can download their app and access the boarding pass. Not everyone has a smartphone or tablet. I think that this is a sneaky and underhanded way to make passengers pay for seats. I told Ryanair that I thought that this was totally unfair, but they did not seem to care. This is the first time that I have booked with Ryanair, and it will be the last.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Do not fly RYANAIR. Their reservation system crashed repeatedly during my attempts to buy tickets. As a result daughter's ticket said she was an adult. This kept us from checking in online. Arriving early at the airport the French customer service team sent us ALL around the airport and ran out the clock for checking in early. THEN THEY YELLED AT ME FOR BEING LATE TO CHECK IN! I had been there for over three hours.

The error was their fault. It was my fault for not catching it. They never intended to resolve anything. Each flight was OVER three hours late. To avoid having to refund the tickets, on the way to Poland they scanned our tickets and crowded the entire plane into a small hallway for us to wait for 90 minutes. On the way back they loaded us onto a plane to wait out another 90 minutes. DO NOT FLY RYANAIR - EVER.

Original review: June 20, 2018

OH MY GOSH... This company are all con artists. If I hadn't witnessed it and paid for it I would have never believed this company can continue to get away with such thievery. Had a group of 10. We all had carry ons and personal item. We were Priority & 2 cabin bags. We arrived at the airport early so we were first in line. (OH BIG MISTAKE.) Never be the first in line unless you are willing to have a measuring tape of your luggage. There were two boarding lines, so some of us go through with our luggage with no problem. But some of us didn't. I understanding the baggage limitations and specifics, but we all purchased the same carry on at Costco. Other passengers were passing through with luggage that clearly were in violation of their company standards.

At this point the boarding agent tagged 4 bags with yellow tags, counted my bags and randomly charged me $350 Euro. He then went on to say all yellow tag bags MUST go in the cargo hold. I was shocked as seeing plenty of other passengers not being charged a penny for their carry on. Attached you will see pictures of all the same bags! In fact no one was even bothered one of the yellow tag luggage was in the bin above my head. Even the flight attendant said she was astonished and said document everything and take pictures.

I set out to forge a complaint online. There is NO phone number to call, no one answers and chat line because there are no available agents. I sent an email and the response was a cut and paste of their baggage specs. No customer service just the specs. Certainly I can respect policy and procedures, but randomly choosing guests (American) to charge random prices is INSANE. Along with specifically pointing out a bag with a yellow tag to be placed in the cargo hold end up in the luggage rack above my head! This company has zero accountability, zero guest service, and zero integrity. I will never fly nor recommend this airlines. I wonder if their maintenance records of their aircrafts are maintained and forged.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We have had a family holiday planned for years. One leg involved flying from Marseilles to London. We learned the night before that our flight had been cancelled. We are out of our accommodation and must book flights with British Airways at more than double the price on very short notice. After reading nothing but terrible reviews, I have learned a lesson about discount carriers generally, and Ryanair specifically. I will diligently act to spread warnings back in Canada to avoid this outfit.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We flew back yesterday, make sure you have booked your luggage for your return flight we have been charged an extra 200 euros!!! This is scandalous. It is the most uncomfortable aircraft we have ever experienced, very cramped with a very poor service. Our outbound flight was assisted by foreign speaking crew so communication was very poor. We will never fly with Ryanair again and under no circumstances can recommend Ryanair to anyone!

Original review: June 9, 2018

This was the year. This was the year we decided to take the kids and take a year off work to travel the world. We were tight with the budget given the magnitude of this trip and so when we saw the price from Ryanair we jumped on it. We were well aware of the potential extra costs with low frill airlines and were expecting some minor costs but not 3x the cost of the flight. The day before the flight we got online and started our usual check in process. However after several attempts, we were unable to log on due to the site constantly freezing. We decided that we would simply check in at the airport. This was our first mistake. We should have attempted to contact them directly.

The next morning we drove to the airport 2 hours before our flight, got to the check in counter, and were told that we were too late to check in and would need to go and pay for the airline check in. (We were 5 min late to check in at the counter.) This fee was almost 3x the cost of our flight. I was told that I would need to file a request for refund directly to Ryanair within 7 days. As soon as we got to Belgium I contacted Ryanair explained the situation and was told that they were unable to refund our airline check in fees despite the website freezing because we accepted their terms and conditions. Hard lesson learned on our end. Read the fine print and contact them ASAP with any issues, just don't expect much.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I returned from Faro to Edinburgh early today. The flight arrived ahead of time and was a good flight with a good flight crew, the problem started at baggage collection. After standing around waiting for the conveyor to start there was an announcement from the airport staff intimating that "the delay in baggage reclaim was due to Ryanair's new policy," incoming baggage will not be handled until the outgoing baggage has been put on the plane, after this is achieved the incoming baggage would now be put on the conveyor, this is to achieve the 25 minutes turn around time, so after arriving 10.25 it was almost an HOUR later before I could collect my luggage. It this just another Ryanair ploy to make you buy a dearer ticket and take your hand luggage with you.

Original review: May 10, 2018

We booked a holiday and flights were with Ryanair. My son is 1 years old and daughter 5 years old, seats were allocated for them, which then left myself. On online check in I was very difficult to be seated together so I called Ryanair customer services in which I then paid for upgraded seats with more legroom bearing in mind we had a 1 year old!! On boarding the plane from both destinations we were NOT ALLOWED to be seated on our paid/allocated seats due to safety reasons, An air cabin crew staff then wrote me a note to say what had happened and he will also make a report of the issue as it's happened both ways. Back to the UK I made a complaint to RA who then sent me an email saying that 'we reserve the right to move passengers and you will not be getting a refund'. Urm total joke. They sell the product then screw you on air... I will not let this matter go lightly. Will take this as far as I can.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I am prefer not to use this airlines due to very negative experience in the past. But this time I have bought tickets for my parents and when I am checking them in the seats were specially allocated separately to force customers to pay additionally even though there are lots of free seats there. Honestly I believe this airline should be banned from flying in Europe or at least fined for such behaviour.

Original review: May 1, 2018

IT IS THE ONE OF THE WORST AIRLINES I'VE EVER TAKEN IN MY LIFE... Super irresponsible customer service and vague guidelines!!! My flight was cancelled from Milan to Seville due to the French strike in Oct 2017. They rescheduled me to a new flight 1 week from the date I was supposed to take my flight. I was told that I will be reimbursed for any reasonable expenses during the week.

However, NO ONE TOLD ME WHAT DOES REASONABLE mean? I emailed/called and live chatted with them and still no one can tell me what does reasonable mean? I said does $100/night for Airbnb reasonable because come on! It is Milan!!! I was told, "Yes, it should be reasonable". After I submitted my reimbursement, not only they only willing to pay me back less than 50% of what I submitted, they also refused to talk to me about why were my expenses not reasonable. Worst of all, it's been over 6 months since I filed the reimbursement and I still have not got my $ back!!! CHEAP AIRLINE!!!

Original review: April 27, 2018

You have to check in luggage 2 times also for return you have to paying again. Normally you check in once but Ryanair scammed you and they know that it is a common mistake that travelers forget to check in for the returns. Even on the airport the employees told us that it is a common mistake. Ryanair be fair and give our money back what we pay too much!

Original review: April 26, 2018

BE HONEST TO CUSTOMERS. They will force you to sit apart from your family unless you pay to have seating next to each other. You now must pay extra to have your hand luggage in the cabin with you. If all goes well with your flight then you're lucky, as when it does go wrong you can expect nothing from them at all. My son's flight was detoured to a different country and was never given any food, drinks or free call. Not a penny of compensation all of which are part of EU law.

Me and my partner's flights was detoured from Stansted to Birmingham. We was given no information at all and everyone on the flight was just waiting around for 5 hours in Birmingham Airport before some of the Birmingham Airport staff guided us to taxies to get back to Stansted. In the whole 5 hours we was stranded not one person from Ryanair spoke to us or gave us advice or offered any help or support, no food, no drinks, no call. Nothing. We did not even see anyone from the airline at all for the 5 hours we was stuck at the Birmingham airport, then just over two hour taxi drive back to Stansted. Thanks Ryanair for not giving a damn about customers.

Original review: April 1, 2018

No happy. Me and all people we spend long time waiting and on Malaga was nobody to tell us whats going on. Not advise was delayed. Not advise or apologize before getting board. Also the plane was absolutely a mess with rubbish all over the place.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I traveled with Ryanair to Barcelona arriving at night hours and at the same time I rented a vehicle with them (Ryanair hire car) to avoid inconveniences when picking up the vehicle. The plane arrived around 11:35 pm, when I went to pick up the vehicle, arbitrarily and rudely I have been attended by an employee named Lucia. She claims that I must pay 40 euros more for the hour and that also is going to go. I explain that I have hired a service for which I have paid more than a month in advance and also flight with the same airline with which I contract the vehicle. The girl goes out the back door without giving further explanations. The truth I felt robbed by Ryanair and his partner in Spain Goldcar. When I complained to Ryanair, he replied that I had no right to any refund. Never in my life had I received such a bad service and they had stolen in the process. Do not use Ryanair car hire. Under no circumstance.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Flying with Ryanair, had booked on extra price 2 cabin luggage, like they told me on the booking process. On the way back (the same ticket) they informed me that the policy had changed and I had to pay extra 50 euros in order to fly. Being really rude and never explaining the actual situation, they forced me to pay, though I could just send my one luggage to the luggage place under the plane, like all the other passengers after me that hadn't paid extra did! When I complained online 3 times, they just keep sending the new policy with no reference number on the reply. So I had every time to make a new statement.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I book about 50 tickets a year with this airline... I was offered a refund for my flight which was severely delayed due to storm Emma... FINE, however it was a code red and they let me wait until the morning of the flight departure. But ok. Now I had 2 consecutive flights booked (a return and a small other trip) which I was logically not able to take as the problem with the outgoing flight. I asked for a refund (not even 150 Euro in total) but this was refused with the remark I could have changed these myself... Into what??? Online and pay huge change fees??? I was a happy customer for a long time but now I know what people mean with this company. If something goes wrong, they let you down big time. From now on Aer Lingus on 1! And government please look into the fake customer service. They sent false info and do not react to queries and they just hope that you don't spend more time to get your rights. FINE THEM!

Original review: March 12, 2018

Booking my return flight from Alicante to Gatwick in February, thinking I was booked to fly on the 5th to the 9th. On returning on the 9th I was told at security check that my boarding pass was dated 9th March, one month ahead, instead of February. My mistake for not checking the confirmation email from Ryanair. But as a frequent flyer it has never happened before that I booked the wrong month to return. Ryanair desk clerk told me that the Ryanair calendar was jumping from February to March and that the days of the week were the same date in both months so a lot of people had also experienced this problem and the flight on 9th Feb was full so could not fly that day with Ryanair. And had to pay for another flight with another airline.

So I kept my March booking returning to Spain and priority boarding pass, And so when flying again on 9th March I was told that the boarding pass had become invalid in that time, no reason was given, so I have no idea why it was now invalid but Ryanair would not print me a new one because their policy is that if you don't have one you must pay 50 euros for them to do it for you. I refused to pay. As far as I was concerned I had a priority boarding pass and an allocated seat.

So the clerk downloaded a new boarding pass to my phone, but no allocated seat. So I then had to queue up at check in to get a seat. Apparently it was hit and miss that I got my priority seat. Fortunately I did because I arrived at the airport very early. I think this airline is a disgrace, and customer care is non-existent.

Original review: March 11, 2018

On 03/03/2018, we had our flight from Birmingham cancelled at 8.10am and the flight was due to leave at 9.20am. So the bags had already been checked in. Only advice given by Ryanair was via email, which offered a flight refund/alternative flight. However, no details of which alternative flights were available! No Ryanair staff or customer service staff arrived at Birmingham airport to help. Also, despite Ryanair’s website stating food vouchers, travel & hotel accommodation, will be provided we received absolutely no food vouchers, no transport or hotel accommodation. In fact, we received none of these!

So Ryanair have broken their contract, and need to change this information about food, transport & hotel accommodation so that it correctly reads that you don’t receive any of this, as it is a complete lie! Also, the Ryanair website was down, so you couldn’t check it for further flight information. So, we had to go through a travel broker to book another flight that cost us £308.00 for an inconvenient flight at 6.30am from Stansted the following day. So, we had to pay for our lunch at the airport, train travel of £95.00 to Stansted, £99.00 for a hotel, £27.00 in taxis & £42.00 for an evening meal.

I tried to complete Ryanair’s online form to gain a refund from them, but the form just kept repeatedly asking for a captcha Text code, so was unable to actually submit the form online. So, this was a complete joke! And you cannot contact Ryanair by phone, so I contacted them online today. And they just suggested I use the form again tomorrow, as it is unlikely they received it, as I received no confirmation email. But if the form didn’t work before, how likely is it that it will work tomorrow? And the form appears to be the only format available to claim our refund! So, what then, Ryanair? Will it be another online chat to suggest I wait another 7 days to complete a form that doesn’t work?

Original review: March 8, 2018

This company is a complete disgrace and has no regard for its customers. I will never book flights with them again after they took our money for return flights from Portugal for my elderly mother-in-law and failed to get her back home blaming strike by air traffic control. They don't offer you any alternative flights as they suggest they don't have any available for over 1 month. The complaints procedure is pointless as you receive a standard letter telling you it's outside their control so they can do what they like leaving you completely stressed and out of pocket to get your self back home. This company should not have a licence to provide a service as it doesn't have a duty of care to its customers!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I want to warn people that their CHAT service is woeful and use the web instead as they are employing people whom are unable to communicate. Be warned - this exchange took me 54 minutes to merely check in.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I submitted a claim for a refund with Ryanair on a flight delayed for more than 4 hours January 4th, 2018. I received a letter stating that refund check would be submitted to me within 10 days. Check never arrived. I contacted Ryanair again and they said they will resend check on 2/12. Check never arrived. On 3/4 I contacted again and after several chats with three different people they elevated the issue to customer service. I got an email saying that they will respond within 28 days. Contacted operators again via chat because the phone number provided doesn't work (you cannot talk to anybody) and they said they elevated the issue again to CS and I will get some kind of answer within 48 hours. I requested to speak with a manager because there is no way to contact anybody and they said it is impossible.

So, I might get an email tomorrow that tell me that it was elevate to some other office that will respond to me within 48, maybe 72 hours or at best 28 days. I think they purposely have this dog chasing its tail entangled process so you will get tired so you will let go an forget about wanting your money back. I wonder if it OK for us to hold payments to them until we elevate the issue to a higher power. How hard it is for a company this size to send payments overseas? I did in 24 hours. Perhaps if someone would even call me back I could tell them how easy it is to actually do that. So, if you have time to waste and want to do this dance with them fly Raynair and pray your flight gets delayed. Wish me good luck, I will get some kind of elevate answer from them tomorrow...

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Ryanair should be looked into for fleecing passengers with exorbitant fees. I had a round trip flight booked and paid for baggage only to be told on the return flight that the baggage fee was only for inbound. Nowhere in their jumbled site with tons of upsells did they mention this. They hit me with $44 euros/bag. Their site does not state your baggage is one way. Absolutely disposable business practice. Will not fly with them again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I booked a flight from Rome to Barcelona by mistake... I wanted Florence to Barcelona... but after about five hours of booking hotels and various flights, I guess I was a bit tired. I noticed my mistake instantly but, too bad.... no cancellations or refunds. Don't waste your time with these crooks.

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information