2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Ryanair Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

After Covid-19 I requested a refund of my money, then after a month they sent me an email saying that I got a voucher and if I want a refund I need to ask for it. I didn't ask again since I had already asked for a refund and the request was accepted. Now on August I find out that I was never in a queue for a refund, and their excuse is that they asked me that if I want a refund I had to ask for it! This is fraud! Now I have to wait for a refund like I just asked for it, waiting for a queue again!

In addition, I bought a travel insurance for my flights, and after covid 19 cancellations, Ryanair informed me that they will refund the flight cost excluding the travel insurance cost. Their response was that because I could use the travel insurance for compensation. But then, when I asked if I can get compensation, they told me that according to the terms and conditions, I cannot get compensation for the cancellation. So they kept the insurance amount, even though there is no way to use the travel insurance!! This is fraud... I imagine how much money they made from the travel insurance of millions of travelers that never used this travel insurance!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Basically same as most latest stories of being fobbed off with still in queue and having to wait 3 hours to even get to chat online to them. To add I asked about refund, they said thanks for my patience but nothing else can be done, then said any further questions and straight after cut me off and closed it before I could ask another question. I will never use Ryanair again.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: July 28, 2020

If I could give them zero stars I would, and I wish the owner lived in this country – the greedy **. We are still waiting from our refund since April, there are a bunch of lads who booked so it is not a small amount of money. Been on that chat since 9am. It is now 3pm and still no answer. They state that we are in a queue. Law states refund should be 7 days, they said 20 days, it is now end of July, blaming covid 19 ( yeah whatever ).

Original review: July 3, 2020

The staff provide wrong information. He said I cannot change my flight to cheaper one which I already did! He just not aware of how the system works!! It is not fair for the one that want to change the flight for the second time, to calculate the fare difference based on the price of the last change which was in my case much cheaper than what I already paid for my first flight, it is stealing!!

Original review: May 26, 2020

DON’T LET THE AIRLINES BULLY YOU! I want to bring to your attention a matter that I feel people who fly should beware of, many people appear to complain about the manner in which an airline treats you when there is a delay or cancellation of a flight. Most of the comments seen state that the airline does not act in a manner to which you would expect and have paid for and for the comfort of their passengers.

One of the main reasons seen for a delay or cancellation is – “adverse weather conditions” and when you ask the airline for a full explanation, they just dismiss you. I was booked on a Ryanair Flight number FR1783 on Wednesday 27 December 2017 departing from Bordeaux at 18.00 flying to Stansted. After various delays the flight was cancelled at 19.53. The reason given was “adverse weather conditions”. There had been snow at Stansted that morning and the runway was closed for a period of time but the runway was open from 12.51. So when Ryanair cancelled the flight the runway had been open for some 7 hours. So, I was confused that adverse weather had caused the cancellation.

I wrote to Ryanair on many occasions requesting an explanation as to how the flight was cancelled due to adverse weather conditions but basically, they just dismissed my communications and just kept saying -: "due to adverse weather conditions”. I was not satisfied with their responses because I felt it was an operational decision and not directly due to adverse weather conditions and decided to take legal action under European legislation – Small Claims Court. I have attached the following brief details: -

1. Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing) – the hearing of the claim will take place at 10.00 am on the 28 April 2020 at the County Court at Ipswich.
    2. Email, dated 22 April 2020, stating that due to exceptional circumstances this case is suitable for a hearing remotely by means of telephone. The matter shall now be listed for a remote hearing on 28 April 2020 at 11.30am before District Judge Hallett with a time estimate of 90 minutes. A conference call was carried out with Judge Hallett, a legal representative of Ryanair and myself.

3. General Form of Judgment or Order dated 12 May 2020 where Judge Hallett upon hearing the Claimant in person, hearing Counsel for the Defendant by remote telephone hearing and Judgement for the Claimant for 250 Euros to be paid by 4.00pm on 12 May 2020.

So, after hearing the evidence given by both parties, Judge Hallett found that the Defendant did not prove their case and found in my favour. So, the flight was not cancelled due to adverse weather conditions but it was an operational decision! I feel that on many occasions airlines have used this excuse to save them paying compensation. All other passengers on that flight were due compensation! If you want full details, please contact me. Email – ** Keith **

Original review: May 23, 2020

We are due to travel with Ryanair in August to Spain with our Disabled Daughter, after listening to their CEO talk on TV about all passengers having to wear a mask in the Airport and on their flights, I spoke to their rep online and explained that my Daughter was unable to wear a mask due to her disability to which I was told not to panic. It would be fine. They would support us at the airport, when I stated that I felt they were putting her at risk they weren't interested, I asked if we could take the flights at a later date and was told no, we won't be travelling with Ryanair again!!!!

Original review: May 12, 2020

My flight from the US to Portugal was canceled (COVID 19) and from Portugal we were flying Ryanair to Italy, and as I have explained my situation to them, they refuse to give a refund or credit for a future flight. This is not our fault, but they are not being cooperative at all.. Super disappointed.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Last year, I booked flights for Amsterdam for this Friday. The concert I was attending is cancelled. I waited for the Ryanair flights to be cancelled. I contacted them last week and they said the flight isn't cancelled, I could still travel to Amsterdam if I wanted to. Alternatively, I was told, I could change my flights free of charge for any date up until 31st August. Which is obviously useless to me, nobody will be travelling anywhere in August. However, when I tried to re-book my flights, I ran into issues with additional fees.

I found that not only do I have to pay the difference in any flight fares but that I cannot choose any flights that are cheaper than what I originally booked. The issue here, is not that I wouldn't get any money back, it's that I actually cannot avoid paying additional fees unless I can find the exact same fare for any date before 31st August. On speaking their support team, they confirmed that I cannot choose any flights that are less than what I paid originally, it has to be the exact same fare, or more. I cannot understand this policy. The only reason I can imagine is to make more money from this, as I didn't expect a refund for the difference, I just don't want to pay more.

The next issue, is that I have to pay for seat selection. Gone is the option to chose randomly allocated seats. To progress with the re-booking, I actually have to pay for selected seats. Even though, I paid an additional €16 for seat selection in my original booking. That disappears and I have to pay for additional seats, I have no choice. I physically cannot continue with re-booking without paying for seats. So to re-book my flights there is absolutely no way around paying more money. It is not possible.

Ryanair's marketing ploy of telling us all they are supporting passengers at this time by allowing us to change flights for free, is actually a revenue generating ploy. They have imposed a system which ensures that people have to pay more for the flights. Which we all know won't be taken before the end of August so not only do you lose your original fare, you are forced to pay more money for flights that you know you will not be taking.

I find it really disappointing that they are allowing such flights to continue in the first place. I sincerely hope that Ryanair continuing that flight does not mean that people will still take the flight for a holiday - there is absolutely nothing stopping them. I suppose it should feel more shocking than it does that Ryanair has implemented something to actually make more money at a time like this. But all the same, I really think the Irish public should know that this is how this company is handling this situation.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I have encountered examples of good, bad and indifferent customer service over the years but nothing beats Ryanair for the truly dreadful. Admittedly, they can be a cheapish airline - but not always when one has added in all the extras - but if there are any problems with the flight you are stuffed. Like tens of thousands of others I was left stranded by Ryanair when they cancelled flights due to the coronavirus/coved-19 pandemic in March 2020. Of course, the virus is not their fault but the way they handle customers is.

Trying to get a refund for cancelled flight (not compensation just money owed for no flights) is like getting blood out of a stone. They make you jump through numerous hoops for weeks before in the end sending an unasked for voucher for use within next 12 months (for one the flights - silence on the other). They then make you go through process of reapplying for refund - some time in future - but this is impossible as no one answers the online chat or phone. I have spent dozens of hours trying. They do not reply to emails, letters, phone calls or online chat. The worst customer service I have ever encountered. I would avoid using this airline like the plague.

Original review: March 8, 2020

On a recent trip to Tenerife my husband collapsed at the airport coming home. Ryanair staff were so helpful, arranging an ambulance, storing our luggage and arranging an alternative flight home when my husband was well again. He got assistance at the airport which was really good. Then he collapsed on the flight home, and again staff were really helpful and professional and arranged medical help at our destination. Ryanair did not charge us for the alternative flights and made everything as easy and stress free as possible. I would like to thank them sincerely.

Ryanair author review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information