1.12/5
  • 1 star
Based on 26 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Your airline may owe you up to
$400
Bad airline experience?
You may qualify for a partial refund
You may think there's nothing you can do about delays and cancellations, but you can seek compensation for these and other bad experiences.
Think there's nothing you can do about delays or canceled flights? We'll help you seek compensation-try it for free!

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 23, 2017

33 Ryanair Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

This is the worst airline you can choose, so don't. They have horrible customer service and after all the games and stealing they do, you will end up paying the same for their ** airplanes as you would any other company (with a nicer plane). I tried checking-in hours before my flight and the website would not let me. So I then decided to just check-in at the airport like any other flight. I found out at the airport that I could only print my ticket (which I had ALREADY bought) for an additional fee of 50 euros. This is an insane amount of money to print a piece of paper, and I had no idea of this ridiculous policy. There was no other way to print my ticket so I gave in and let them steal 50 euro ($60+ USD) from me. I will never fly with these idiots again, and if you're smart you will stay away before they steal money from you as well. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I tried to book a ticket and the website kept giving me an error message: "Oops, there was an error and your reservation could not be processes." I tried again, waited, tried again. None of their numbers were working and the chat service was offline. Finally gave up and booked with another airline. The next day I received an email stating my flight was booked. When I was finally able to get through their chat service, the lady on the other line was awful and refused to refund me. On top of that they charged for 2 tickets. FRAUDS.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Alphanumeric Nightmare: We (my wife & I) purchased 2 tickets to fly from Glasgow to Dublin August 3, 2017. Flight FR5771... Reservation: I got a notice on my smartphone to check in, or be assessed a 50 x2= 100 fine. So I attempted to reconfirm? on Aug. 30, 2017. I fought with the website for over an hour with no luck entering my email + the alphanumeric. (**). So I got on Ryan's customer service live chat. My first session timed out as I was looking for information to respond. On my second session with Fiona we figured out I was typing a 1 (one) instead of an I (aye). I typed it in and Fiona said I was good to go! I was so relieved to get the passcode in, I probably didn't complete the secondary part of the check-in form? We flew on Sept. 1. 2017 having a short connection from our international flight to the Ryan connection. Ryan ** Status confirmed. (In US terms I paid for a ticket and my receipt indicates Status: Confirmed...).

Of course on arrival We were hit with a $100 fine. The Ryan Clerk in Glasgow had 2 minutes to check our bags. She did, of which we are grateful and we ran to pay to fine in cash. Solution: why the secondary check in? Who dreamed this up? If necessary, change the font where 1's look like 1's and I's look like I's. IE: I or find a way to leave the I's out to eliminate confusion with the 1's. We were so offended with Ryan and Ireland. We stayed one day in Dublin and flew Aer Lingus out to the IOM then took the ferry to England to avoid Ryan. Marketing, seems geared to young "I" phone Euro set, not easy for other travelers like seniors. Final Comment: "You can shear a sheep many times but you can only skin them once!" Let's call it an old Irish saying.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

When booking my flight I filled in "billing address" section, expecting to receive an invoice with my name and address, which I absolutely needed. Not receiving any, using the live chat I asked why, only to discover that, according to them, it is not possible to issue invoices for international flights as they do not include VAT. So why did they let me fill in the "billing address"? Why did they not tell me explicitly that they would not issue the invoice? Furthermore, I was quickly dismissed by the customer care, and was told that if I had any further request, I should send an email - I sent one but did not receive any answer. Furthermore, the price they publicize for their tickets is not transparent at all, which is against all national and EU regulations. I chose a flight for 86 Euro, but I ended paying 170, having to add 70 for registered baggage RT, compared to 30 I would have spent some year ago, plus other amounts.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Below is complaint sent to Ryanair, to which they responded refusing to apologise for anything, their attitude towards customers through-out is very evident, take it or leave it and never ever apologise: I am writing to you after my shocking experience on our return flight from Lanzarote to Luton on 23rd August 2017 (flight number FR3455). At check-in there was a lot of chaos and extremely long queues caused because a young family with two children had apparently not been allowed on their scheduled flight the day before due to over booking and waited 24 hours at the airport to board the next flight only to be told there were no available seats.

Whilst the family were visibly upset and complaining the queue was extremely slow to move as one of the two check-in staff were obviously pre-occupied with sorting this awful situation. Eventually we were checked in and waited to board the plane. On boarding again there was more chaos as another young family had been split up with their four year old daughter booked to sit by herself. In order to sort this problem some of the other passengers including us rearranged seating to allow the young family to sit together. We had seats 22A, 22B, 22C & 22D booked but my wife agreed to swap 22D with the young mum (Janaya) to be with her four year old daughter. Whilst we all settled in there was talk of how badly the young family had been treated at check-in as they eventually boarded the plane.

I was sitting in 22C with my young daughters aged 8 and 13 in 22A & 22B respectively. As we ordered food we opened the trays to find dirt, magazines and food remains falling out onto us and on the floor. I cleaned the trays myself (having never used budget airlines before I thought maybe this is the norm) and proceeded to wait patiently for our food to arrive. As we waited my youngest daughter suddenly wanted to go to the toilet. If any of you that have children will understand there is no waiting as children often leave it until the last minute to tell you and they cannot hold on.

The toilets at the front were not working so only the back ones were available. As I got up to take my daughter to the toilets the seat belt lights came on and I was told very sternly to sit down by the steward, I tried to explain that my daughter was desperate but I was ignored and just told to sit. At the same time the mum Janaya seated at 22D also had to take her four year old to the toilet. I told her that they would not let me go but her daughter was getting distressed, she got up carrying her daughter to go to the toilet. She was swiftly blocked by a stewardess (Ellie) who totally ignored the mum’s pleas and grabbed the mums arm to force her back into her seat.

The mum shouted to the stewardess not to touch her but the stewardess just ignored her and hurried past without listening or caring. We were all so shocked about this treatment, her partner seated in 22F in total anger stood up, picked up his young daughter and marched to the toilet without anyone stopping him. The seat belt lights remained on and my daughter was still desperate to go toilet and I tried everything to get her to hold on. Then suddenly a pilot wearing sunglasses, hands in pocket calmly walked out and proceeded down the aisle smugly towards the back toilets. As soon as he finished using the toilets and returned to the cockpit the seatbelt lights were turned off. Everyone realised and it was so evident that the only reason the lights had been put on was to give the pilot clearance to use the toilets leaving desperate young kids and their parents in despair.

As soon as the seatbelt lights were switched off I quickly took my daughter to the toilet. On returning I saw the mum (Jayana) from seat 22D with her partner arguing with the stewardesses about their treatment. I was not witness to what was said then but apparently the couple returned to their seat complaining that the stewardess denied touching the mum supported by another stewardess Jana and they accused the couple of lying. The couple asked me if I had seen it and I confirmed I had so they asked for my details as a witness.

As soon as the couple told the stewardesses that I had witnessed the young mum being physically forced to sit down I noticed that the stewardess’s treatment of me and my daughters changed and we were given dirty looks every time they passed. The other stewardess Jana then approached the young mum to apologise for her colleague (Ellie) but the mum by this time having been manhandled and told was lying was not accepting any apology. She turned to me and said to Jana that I was witness to the incident.

Jana looked at me and although I was trying to be supportive to both parties and asked the mum to accept the apologies, she refused. Jana then turned to me and said that she would need more witnesses and proceeded to ask all surrounding passengers if they had witnessed anything and none of them had clear view apart from me being directly next to it. Jana then requested the mum’s details plus mine for their records but refused to give the offending stewardesses name until the mum repeated asked. Eventually the name was given as Ellie. Ellie continued to give me and my daughter’s dirty looks every time she passed.

Eventually as the seatbelts lights came on to for the landing Jana and Ellie approached everyone to collect rubbish. When it came to us Ellie asked for our rubbish and although we had none she pointed below the seats and asked my young daughters to pass her the magazines under the seat that had dropped out when we first opened the trays along with other rubbish from the floor which was already there when we boarded. Although she could clearly see my daughters struggling to pick everything up with their seat belts on I did turn to Ellie and said that all of that rubbish was already there and I even had to clean the trays myself.

She was completely emotionless and unresponsive continuing to stand over us gesturing to my daughter to hand her the rubbish. My youngest daughter actually had to undo her seat belt and reach below our seats to pass everything. My daughters are very obedient and were so upset when they thought they had done something wrong and started to cry. I later asked Jana why Ellie had treated us so badly and to my amazement Jana swiftly replied that she was witness that Ellie acted rightly to ask my daughters to pick up the rubbish although neither asked any of the other passengers to do the same.

I told Jana whether she calling us liars and she said yes. Witnessing this the mum (Jayana) next to us and her partner having already had an ordeal with these stewardesses proceeded to tell Jana she was out of order and the partner in the heat of the moment ended up swearing at her. Jana then pressed the security button and the young couple were taken away on landing by security.

I am a respectable professional and actually work within the customer focus training area and Ellie firstly over exerted her authority by pushing the young mum (Jayana) back to her seat. However instead of apologising at the time to defuse the situation let it affect her behaviour and proceeded to collude with her colleague Jana by initially accusing the young mum (Janaya) of lying but then trying to apologise after the damage had been done.

They then proceeded to conspire to take it out on me and my family as we were witness to the original incident. They purposefully tried to provoke a reaction from us so they could report it to security on landing. I have never seen nor been treated so badly in all the years I have taken flights although this is my first flight with Ryanair or any budget airline. I am so shocked that this sort of treatment of customers is allowed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

We were in the airport. 1 hour before departure. Warning, delay, no news. News later: 1 hour delay. No gate information. We are where the previous gate (12). Info message, gate will be announced at 19:38. Doesnt come announce. We go to sit elsewhere. Weird our plane doesnt seem to park where expected. Go some 25 minutes before screen with delayed departure time - info: boarding ended. What!? No info from gate. No one to ask. No one in Schonefeld airport to know where are they embarking (or embarked). Nobody... Though the plane is there and I’m on land, I dont know where? I go out the departure area, on information from airport they give me the info: new gate was 64. I see 5 Belgian boys also stranded in Berlin. My girlfriend and I lose the flight, (and the return flight), but at least we are home.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Ryanair number one fraud company in the world. Many people do not like this company. Government no action taken. I had 6 ticket from STN CPH. I went airport 3 hrs before they charge 50 pounds each ticket then say no seat. This is ** Ryanair service. We hate what action you take in airport. Some stupid working they don't know what to do if you take action. I will send all information.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Unsure why a British company takes their telephone enquiry business overseas where nobody in the customer services dept even understand that Skyscanner are not a ** travel agent!! Me & my partner have spent two days trying to get our booking ref number and have heard all the incompetency & awful customer services we have ever encountered with the staff hurrying our calls - absolute joke!! Also what sort of a company charges £90 for an extra 5kg luggage?!? Thats just daylight robbery & the price we had to pay as we needed to check a bag in and usual hand baggage can only be up to 10kg... Am so disappointed in this failing organisation and will be letting everybody know never to book with this company again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I had booked for myself, husband and 13-year-old daughter on a flight to Lanzarote. When I checked in (for free), 4 days before leaving, we were allocated 3 middle seats, away from each other! It took an online conversation (long) plus 2 phone calls to come to the following conclusion: Ryanair have ripped me off! Purposely 'randomly' allocated us seats well away from our teenage daughter and giving us no choice but to pay to have us moved to seats so that one of us can sit next to her. I am disgusted with this blackmail Ryanair and I will never never book with you again!!!

Original review: July 31, 2017

It is the only airline that charges airport check-in for €50. Despite their own website or system not working at a certain point and they are able to verify that you tried to check in online because all your information has been saved (and you have paid for reserved seats as well) they will not take responsibility or waive the fee. Wrote to them for a refund but they just read me their fine print! Highway robbery in fine print!

Original review: July 8, 2017

Checked in for the flight early in the day for the free seat allocation, and only 20% of the plane was allocated, yet they still split my wife and myself up, I was put in the front of the plane in a middle seat, and my wife was put in the back of the plane in a middle seat, so far from happy at the way Ryanair is ripping off customers that want to sit together, not a lot to ask for, but out of principle, Ryanair will be bottom of any list when booking flights, car hire and hotels from now on. Their greed and foul tactics have finally hit rock bottom. Had to bow down and pay the extra for seats just to sit together.

Original review: July 1, 2017

My family (husband and two teenaged sons) and I felt completely screwed over by Ryanair. We had been traveling throughout Ireland and Wales for two weeks, with very little internet or cell coverage during our trip. We arrived at the airport in Dublin with plenty of time to check in and were told we had to pay 50 Euros per person, plus $100 Euros for our for three bags, so it cost us four times as much as our original airline tickets. The customer service rep did not offer any help or concession and seemed to have cared less that her company had raked us over the coals. We have flown all over the world and have never been treated like this. We will never fly Ryanair again and will warn all of our friends to stay away from this airline. It left us with a terrible feeling at the end of our Ireland tour, and stood in stark contrast to our experience with the Irish people. I am amazed that this company is able to get away with treating its customers so badly.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I booked this airline, then was told to check in online otherwise they'd charge me €45 for checking in at the airport. Fair enough. I checked in online and got stuck when I tried to book for an extra piece of luggage. Basically, the page would not move forward. I logged out and back in again, even turned off my laptop. Nothing. I could not finish checking in. Finally, after half an hour, I got to a page where it showed the price of one luggage, but would not allow me to go forward. I had to add another piece of luggage to go on, though the price stayed at one piece. When all is said and done, and I checked in, the extra luggage price came at two pieces.

I immediately called Ryanair, but they did not answer the phone, I also tried their live chat, which was down. Within twenty four hours, I called again and still nothing. I did a live chat, and the agent said there was nothing she could do about it, she could only help with something else, but not adjusting the luggage fee. So I wanted to check in to save forty five euros, and ended up paying an extra forty six euros for a second piece of luggage I didn't have. The agent also told me that their website does not work well with Safari or Internet Explorer, or Firefox, but only with Google Chrome. This was why I'm had the problem. So Ryanair knew it had problems with its software, and did nothing about it. I guess this is how they make their extra money. I hope it's worth it for them. I will never fly Ryanair again, and hope they go bankrupt. I cannot see how else they'd be, with this kind of service.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Terrible customer service. Check in without buying a seat used to always place the family together. Now, the seats are all over the plane. Flew home last night, paid €38 in total for flight out and home to try to get seated beside my 75 year old mom who is terrified of flying. Absolute chaos on plane with families with young children trying to sit together. This greedy anti family behaviour has to stop. I will never fly Ryanair again, I'd rather pay the bit extra to fly with a reputable airline where your trip is made comfortable, not rip off Ryanair. Please stop this greedy business ASAP. It is disgraceful.

Original review: June 4, 2017

Ryanair are known to be terrible in disturbing their passengers with infinite services during the trip, it hasn't got any better over the years, only worse however now their greedy bosses have had a brilliant idea where they will steal millions from your pocket by forcing you to pay for seats if you want to sit together with your partner, family or friends. I use Ryanair for EU flights several times a year and up until my last trip in April I had had no issues with their online check ins. Having a guaranteed seat next to my partner was a norm. An automatic seat allocation would ensure the company would go the extra mile to not separate families, in fact I used to get the same seat over and over again or thereabouts, it was great and it worked perfectly.

However in both our flights in May and June we have checked in exactly the same way we did all these years but the company randomly allocates our seats, meaning in both times we have had to seat separately. This is happening with everyone on board, people are complaining inside the aircraft and swapping seats inside the aircraft in order to be able to be together with their kids, spouses, etc. As part of this great business plan the company is willing to offer you an EXTRA service where you sign in to pay 20 in some cases per person, per trip, to have your desired seat next to your partner, which by the way is available and someone else will get it "randomly" if you don't pay for it, but yet the company cannot "ensure" both of you sit together unless you pay for this brilliant service.

For people fearing to fly alone, people who get nervous and suffer from anxiety in these situations, they will end up forking in this money and this extra will generate millions in revenue for the greedy company that sells tickets as cheap as 9.99 but seats as expensive as 20. Be aware that this will happen to you and your family too. This company is not interested in providing you good customer service, they're interested in squeezing your pocket as much as they can before you reach your destination, and squeeze it again on your return.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I do not have a smartphone and don't know how to "check-in" online. We did not have time to find a place to print our boarding pass. We arrived at the airport 2 hours early, but had to wait in line to get boarding pass. When we got to counter, we were told that we would have to pay $100 fine to Ryanair because we did not check-in online, before arriving at the airport. We ask if we could go to a kiosk to check-in and were told "No". WE were sent to another desk for fine/penalty. The non Ryanair lady at the desk felt bad for us, but said we had not choice. We had not choice or we would not be able to fly. No other airline does this. POOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS...

Original review: April 28, 2017

Do not book with this airline. I paid nearly 500 pounds for flights and due to illness can't go. I sent a medical certificate to them confirming from my doctor. Still they won't refund me. Disgusting when you know they will resell my seats between now and August. Absolutely awful. No compassion at all. Con merchants.

Original review: April 18, 2017

First time flying with Ryanair, we had to pay £55 per person to check in. No other airline does this - you just normally check in at bag drop. The staff were rude and unhelpful when directing us to the payment desk. Not helpful at all - just dismissive. We were early for our flight - now been here 45 minutes waiting to pay a check in fee and all they say is they sent a text reminder to our mobile (Australian) therefore we didn't receive it due to mobile roaming. Dozens of people were in the queue with us having to make this payment because it's not clear. So there's clearly a fault in their system. They need to address this as hundreds of people are clearly being burnt and scammed by Ryanair's awful conditions and awful customer service. We will never be booking again!

Original review: March 22, 2017

Do not book with this airline thinking that it is budget and will save you money. You will end up paying additional hidden and unavoidable fees no matter how prepared you try to be. I was scammed out of 50 euros when trying to fly from Budapest to Berlin, more than I paid for the ticket. Worst airline ever. I really recommend just going for a legitimate airline. You will pay the same price and at least be able to rely on good customer service if something goes amiss (which it will if you fly Ryanair, and you will not get help).

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

Our flight FR2861 from Luxembourg to London Stansted on the 30-12-2016 got cancelled due to bad weather conditions (fog) 3.5 hours before our scheduled departure time. We were planning to celebrate new year's eve with our friends in London. 2 hours after we received the cancellation email, I tried to submit the refund form on the Ryanair website. I completed it correctly but it kept stating that the name on the reservation document differs from the name on the refund form. I tried to contact customer service.

That was a big mistake. It was impossible to get through to an agent via live chat. Their phone hotlines for Germany and Belgium (Luxembourg was not available) cost over 1€ a minute hence I didn't even try to call the hotline. I decided to sleep over it and retry the next day. The live chat was busy as usual so I opened a ticket, explained my situation and asked for a full refund. The customer service replied: That I will have to contact an agent via live chat or phone hotline.

I tried it again but gave up after about 45 minutes in the queue. It was impossible to change flights during the busy end of year period. Long story short, now 10 days later after 17 pages of emailing back and forth. Completing the complaint form and live chatting I still have no refund. According to Ryanair I have not provided sufficient information - I took screen shots of the error message that keeps popping up and every step involved to get the refund. I am now considering taking legal steps through a German website that specializes on cheap airlines. It is not about the money but the principle.

This is the first time in years that I consider flying with Ryanair. The main reason was that we did not need any baggage and the price was much more competitive than the other airlines. However I will never ever fly Ryanair again even if that means that I have to pay the double price or even more. Or stay at home. If you have the opportunity to afford a more expensive flight, please do it. Don't choose Ryanair as it is only ripping-off its customers. I read the reviews on Glassdoor. Apparently their crew also gets treated pretty badly. Nobody should support this business. Hope this review helped someone not make the same mistake that I made.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I flew on Ryanair, flight 436, back in Romania, from Bucharest to Timisoara, this last October. Awfully bad experience. First of all, despite the fact that I had done the check-in 24 hours in advance online and I had the proof on my cell phone, the airline charged me 54 euros at the Bucharest airport simply because I did not have it physically printed on a piece of paper. I showed it to the airline agent in charge at the airport but everything was to no avail. On top of that, she told me, with a nasty and unprofessional attitude: "If you don't pay it in the next five minutes, you can say good bye to your flight".

Second of all, the seat was not only dirty (oily stains) but it had a gaping hole superficially sown, right in the middle. Third of all, the flushing system for the toilet bowl was dysfunctional and a horrible stench was permeating the entire bathroom. Disgusting. Besides the money issue which was clearly an act of thievery, the lack of a decent level of maintenance on board turned out to be a totally disappointing experience. No way would I ever recommend it to someone. Instead, use Easy Jet or Wizz Air. A lot more decent and honest.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2016

Greetings. Me and my boyfriend are two students who decided to go to Rome for a few days. We booked a flight with Ryanair and paid the total amount of 567 euro. Unfortunately, I was not allowed on the flight, because they did not accept my residence card. They wanted me to present my passport. Their policy states that ID cards are acceptable and state authorities that issued my residence card informed me that it is my ID card. I could not present my passport because it was at a Canadian embassy awaiting visa. My boyfriend had his passport (he does not need a visa: he is Canadian) but he did not want to go without me. I would not be complaining if we were refunded the ticket money. However, the company has refused to refund.

Original review: July 15, 2016

I needed to book 2 seats on an afternoon flight of Ryanair from Thessaloniki to Athens in Greece. After trying their website for long time with no progress since the screen froze all the time, I decided to try to make a telephone reservation, even though I had to make a costly call to the UK from Greece. They did tell me that a telephone booking would cost 20 per seat extra but I insisted. When I reached payment they said my credit card was not accepted so I tried another one which was also not accepted. I asked to try another one but they did not allow that. After speaking to a supervisor, I did get to try another credit card which was also rejected. After failing to make a booking, I telephoned my bank which confirmed that my cards had no problem and that they could not see any attempts to charge my card!

I telephoned Ryanair again, but after some attempts they said that there was a problem with their computer systems and they could not make a booking, and I should call back in an hour. I called again, knowing full well that I had spent a fortune already in phone call charges. Of course, time had passed and the flight was not available anymore, even though they told me I would find a seat when they asked me to call back in an hour.

I am completely disgusted with Ryanair and vowed never to fly with them again. Their booking system, either via the web or telephone is hopeless. There are 2 important points to be made about this unfortunate experience. One is that they may well NOT WANT to sell me the tickets and just pretended that my cards were not accepted. When there is a great demand for some last moment seats they may have promised them to specialist travel agents at higher prices. The other point is the particular travel time, 3:15 pm is unique to Ryanair. No other airline has this option which may make it very difficult to book. This seems to be a very unfair lack of competition. How come Ryanair have the monopoly on this flight?

Original review: July 5, 2016

This airline it was supposed to offer really affordable budget flights. But guess what? That has changed radically... I mean I travel with Ryanair at least 8 times in a year and with sadness I have to admit that the prices are higher every time. Especially this summer, the tickets are extremely pricey and so is the price for an extra bag. I pay for a bag every time, I am used to do that, but the price in everything has gone up and I can not do anything about it, because only Ryanair provides the specific flight from my hometown (China) to Cyprus (Paphos). And I can not understand why is happening that, I not that is 3 flights per week, quite the contrary there is a flight every day. And every day is very pricey and don't get me even started about the leisure plus or the business plus fares, especially the business ones.

Original review: June 7, 2016

This airline offers really affordable budget flights! Their rates perfectly suit my limited student budget and is one of the main reason why I could afford to backpack around Europe. Ryanair is the first website we automatically check for our weekend warrior travels around this continent. Very generous in the allowed cabin luggage too - they allow two, unlike EasyJet where you have to stuff all your stuff into one carry-on (my Paris experience still left a bad taste in my mouth). Wish the seats in the plane could recline though.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

I have been traveling all throughout my life and never have I seen such bad service ever. Like EVER! I was flying from Barcelona to London and was at the airport way ahead of time (2.5 hrs). Got through the security and was waiting near the gate to board the flight. The agents appear at the gate 30 minutes before departure and there is this mad rush. The agent looks at my boarding pass, asks me to step out of the line and wait. She said your visa check is not complete but as a person who has lived in 4 different countries, visa check to me means the police officials/immigration officers checking your visa and stamping your passport, which was done.

15 minutes before departure, the ** agent tells me that I need to go to their office and get a print out and have a Ryanair official graciously place a stamp on my boarding pass! ** I ran my heart out but the airport was too big and the ** at the Ryanair asylum was stupid to waste another precious 5 minutes staring at my wrong visa that I was 2 minutes late and missed the flight. The next flight costs an additional 100 Euros. RyanAir is the only airline that has this crazy policy. When they print visa/passport check on their cheap ** boarding pass, most people misunderstand it for the normal immigration process. I mean just say that 'It must be stamped by their honored stupid staff' and it supersedes the routine immigration process.

No matter how much more I have to pay to any other airline, I am never flying this crappy airline ever again. It's bad enough that they have this way to rip off people; even worse is how they treat the customers. If that stupid ** hadn’t asked me to wait and the other stupid ** hadn’t wasted time skimming through my passport as if she has never seen a passport with multiple visas, I would have still made it. But then no, in that case, how do they rip you off? Another incident I got to witness while this was going on was another girl who couldn’t check in online as the site was 'temporarily unavailable’. I mean she was standing right in front of the agent and showing him her cell phone but he wouldn't budge. He was like pay me 70 Euros. She totally lost it and threw her credit card at the agent asking him to make it all go away.

I booked through Ryanair because I have never flown with them. I wanted to try it and am glad I did. This is a lesson I would never forget and they do set a new low for the saying - you get what you pay for. Is it even legal they do this? They are not trained professionals to validate the visa or immigration procedures. How can it be justified that they do not let someone fly who had a valid passport, visa and boarding pass by not just some cheap stamp that no one else validates?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2010

On August 15, 2010, my husband and I booked a flight for September 25 from Malaga, Spain to Barcelona on Ryan Air. We printed out the electronic tickets and left the next day for our vacation. Unknown to us, Ryan Air sent us an email dated August 18 informing us of various restrictions and penalties. When we got to Malaga Airport we were in for a shock. Because we did not have our boarding passes printed out, we were charged 40 Euros per person plus 18% VAC tax. That's over $100 for them printing out our boarding passes. The airline does not have a kiosk available so you can do it yourself.

We complained to Ryan Air management at the Airport and they were absolutely rude and unsympathetic telling us they never waive this penalty. We were told that this information was given to us upon booking. We showed them the electronic tickets where nothing was mentioned. Apparently, it is okay for Ryan Air to send an email three days later informing you of that fact. Unfortunately, by that time we were on our way and we don't bother to check our emails while on vacation. The next shock that occurred was that as we were boarding, I was pulled aside telling me that my regular (on the small side) handbag is also counted as a carry-on. If I could not put it into my standard size carry-on, they would charge us an additional 35 Euros.

With all the delays, they started to close the doors and because I could not put my handbag in my carry-on as it would not close, we were charged the additional 35 Euros ($45.00) if we did not want to be left behind. There was absolutely no attempt of trying to help a customer. If anything, the staff was belligerent, hostile, nasty and harassing. They, again, wanted to see our passport asking for our visa to enter Spain. We explained that we had been in Spain for over a week and isn't it up to the Spanish Customs Officials upon entry to check on these things. In addition, Spain does not require a visa from visiting Europeans or Americans.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2010

When I booked a flight from UK to Ireland I could not retrieve my booking to print out my boarding pass. I emailed Ryan Air about the problem but got no reply. I was not able to access my details stored on their website to check it there was a mistake. I arrived at the airport two hours before the flight. The staff at the airport sent me to a special counter to get a boarding pass. They could not log into to 'Manage my booking' either on my details and had to use other information. I was charged 40 pounds to print a boarding pass that their website would not allow me to print. I feel that Ryan Air engage in internet fraud and everything about Ryan Air is dishonest. I would never again travel with them.

Original review: May 28, 2010

This is a complaint against staff at Ryanair in Madrid who through misdirection caused me to miss my flight FR2013 from Madrid to Tenerife on the morning of April 5, 2010.

I arrived at Madrid airport just before midnight on April 4. I caught a brief nap and then lined up at the Ryanair queue at 4 am for the 6:15 flight. After weighing my bag and checking my printed boarding document, the agent told me that I needed an exit stamp. He directed me to another agent at the end of the same counter he was working at who was supposed to help me. This was the first misdirection since he should have told me to go to the office which was on the opposite side of the hall.

I went to this person and asked him for the exit stamp. He told me that I might or might not need the stamp but should go to the gate and would find out there. Of course, this is all nonsense in retrospect but having slept little the previous night I was tired and simply accepted this second misdirection. I went to the boarding gate around 5:30 am. This gate was quite far from the security checkpoint. By this time, there was a large line in front of me. The agent checked my boarding document and said I needed an exit stamp. I asked if I had enough time to make it back for the flight and he said he wasn't sure but I needed the stamp.

I rushed back, quickly got the stamp, rushed through security and ran most of the way but the same agent said it was too late to board the flight. I went back to the office and another agent told me that I could have received the stamp nearby the gate. So it seems I was misdirected a third time.

I spoke with your manager, Javier ** afterwards and he was embarrassed that this had happened. Although the agents involved had finished their shift by the time I returned, he helped sort out their names. The first person was Pedro **, the second was Mori ** and the third person at the gate refused to give me his name but instead provided his official number (although I noticed the name Tariq on his identification badge).

I not only lost the flight but also the first night at the hotel I had reserved in Tenerife. Furthermore, I had 2 Ryan Air flights which I couldn't use from Tenerife to Madrid and Madrid to Trapani, both on April 16. I went through a great deal of mental, physical and emotional torment as a result of the action of Ryanair staff and rushing frenetically around the airport, which itself is dangerous at my age. Not only did I endure a horrible experience but my vacation plans were ruined. I think the least Ryanair can do is compensate me for the missed flights and hotel charges. However, they refused to acknowledge any responsibility.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2009

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information