2.9/5 (585 ratings)

About Ryanair

Ryanair Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: June 11, 2022

When you consider all the extra fees this airline is not value for money at all. Extra fees everywhere. You can only check in online 24 hours before the flight if you want to avoid fees. Then you are assigned random seats not sitting together. If you check-in at the airport that costs extra 55 Euros fee for checking in at the airport. A service that takes the attendant 30 seconds. After that payment which is higher than the original price of the flight the seats are still not sitting together, but randomly assigned.

Original review: May 30, 2022

My review is based on my mother and I's flight from Seville to Malta on the 29th of May 2022. Upon queuing at the gate, one of the check-in staff started making her rounds handing out pieces of paper and asking questions to passengers. She made a beeline towards my mum and I and out of the blue said our bags had to go in the hold. For a second I couldn't believe it. These are the same bags and same size and weight we used going up from Malta. So much so that I am thorough with traveling light and my mother's bag in particular is a Ryan air approved sized wheelie bag. To prove a point the lady at the check in placed it in the sizer which fit perfectly only to tell us that it's above the line! I thought to myself this is a bloody joke. Where are the candid cameras...?

In the meantime a quarter of the other passengers in the non prio line had bulky rucksacks twice the size of our bags which would have never fit in the sizer. I can bet my right arm. Long story short, I paid the 90 odd euros for this thieving discriminating act and vow to never use Ryanair again. This airline bends and manipulates the rules to suit them and they change from airport to airport and staff to staff. These guys looked like 3rd party check in handlers perhaps and they were as dysfunctional as my grandmother's hip replacement. Do yourselves a favour and use a real airline in exchange for proper service. I can handle everything else but I cannot accept manipulation of rules and conditions. My concern is these handlers are giving Ryanair a worse name. Apart from the odd hiccup I've never witnessed anything as shocking as this. More so, with the way they treated us.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I am an International student and was transiting from Riga to Sweden and I am brand new to Europe and had tickets booked with Ryanair and didn't know I had to check in online prior to reaching the airport and the lady at the desk wouldn't help/assist me and didn't bother to care when I was consistently asking for her help. I tried several times but the website wouldn't let me anywhere. There was a language barrier where I think she couldn't understand me or unwilling to help on purpose but neither was she willing to speak to my friend on the phone who spoke/understood the same language and there was no way she would help me and there was no flight operated after for the day and had to pay extra 55 Euros for just not checking in online though I was at the airport.

At this point I had cash and no credit card for the extra payment. I kept requesting her to allow me board the flight but she was not ready to talk or help me out for the next step and simply told me that she was not interested in talking. I requested the other co- passengers to help me make the payment using their card and some kind fellow traveler reached out to help me. Trust me it was the Worst experience ever. To my surprise the flight was only 40% occupied and she could have easily help me get through this situation. I am very upset about all that happened and l am rest assured that I will never travel again via Ryanair.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

Beware of the latest scam - 3rd party services booked on the Ryanair website. I was flying from London to Malaga and, when I purchased extra hold luggage the day before I flew, I decided to, at the same time, also buy a ticket for National Express from Victoria coach station to Stansted airport. I did so and paid one amount on my credit card, but I received no confirmation of the National Express booking, so I called NE and they had no record of my booking or payment. I did so again the next morning - still no record, so I had to buy the ticket again at a higher price. I tried to call Ryanair, but could not get through to them, nor had any success with their "live" chat.

After arriving in Malaga I tried to get a refund from Ryanair, whom I had paid, but they said that I needed to get this from NE and that it had nothing to do with them as NE were a third party service provider. All my explanations that I had paid Ryanair and NOT NE were ignored. So I called NE again and they still said that they had no record of the reservation or payment, so I had to make a claim against my credit card company for a refund. All this took several hours of my time and was incredibly stressful. It was a relatively small amount, but I was incensed by Ryanair's approach and determined to get my money back. They are truly shocking in their customer service and deserve all the bad publicity that they get.

So, IMHO, there are 3 key rules when flying with Ryanair:
    1. Only fly with them if there is NO alternative, even if other airlines are more expensive.
    2. Only buy the most basic/cheapest ticket and only upgrade or buy extras (seat choice, hold luggage, food, etc) as late as possible and just before your flight - in case there is a change of plan or cancellation, then your refund amount is much lower.

3. NEVER purchase 3rd party services from their website - car rental, coach travel, hotels, etc. If there is a problem then they will screw you.

I hope that this will help others to not make the same mistake in future.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

I spent 1 hour trying to get my Panamanian passport validated by a very unpleasant customer service agent that did not know where Panama is located. At the end I lost my flight and not even the supervisor was helpful or polite enough to resolve the problem (not to mention, that I am a British Naturalised Citizen and I showed them all necessary proof). They are horrible, impolite and careless! The fact that they are an affordable airline DOES NOT mean that they are allow to treat people rudely. This should be address by a higher authority.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

They put the phone down on you! That representative wouldn't help when I phoned and just put the phone down on me!!! This girl needs serious re-training and to learn manners! Ryanair, you should be ashamed.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

This was our first time flying with this airline. We booked our flight with Ryanair because they had great flight prices. UNTIL we get to the airport and I try to explain how the system wouldn't let me check in and I tried several times. There was a family next to me that had the same Issue as we did. They said since I didn't check in I have to pay 55 dollars per person. And also 20 dollars per carry on. They do this tactic/scam to sneak a way to rip their customers off. Even the flight check in people were so rude. We will never fly with Ryan air again!

Original review: March 10, 2021

Categories Blog. My Reviews. My Settings. Help. LOG OUT. KerryGB. For companies. Review of Ryanair. Kerry. 3 reviews. 11 minutes ago. Customer service that puts the phone down. After dealing with the travel agent I called Ryanair for progress report on refund for a flight cancelled by the airline on 21st December 2020. I was told because it went through the agent email which I obviously dont know they cant get me information. I replied that I would not be pushed between airline and agent and had the phone put down on me. To say I am seething is an understatement. What kind of customer service is that? I am sure that even under covid restraint 11 weeks of holding people's money is too long. That is 5 weeks longer than a dispute turnaround time in any business. Never trust ryanair with customer service in which putting the phone down when a conversation gets hard is acceptable.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

After Covid-19 I requested a refund of my money, then after a month they sent me an email saying that I got a voucher and if I want a refund I need to ask for it. I didn't ask again since I had already asked for a refund and the request was accepted. Now on August I find out that I was never in a queue for a refund, and their excuse is that they asked me that if I want a refund I had to ask for it! This is fraud! Now I have to wait for a refund like I just asked for it, waiting for a queue again!

In addition, I bought a travel insurance for my flights, and after covid 19 cancellations, Ryanair informed me that they will refund the flight cost excluding the travel insurance cost. Their response was that because I could use the travel insurance for compensation. But then, when I asked if I can get compensation, they told me that according to the terms and conditions, I cannot get compensation for the cancellation. So they kept the insurance amount, even though there is no way to use the travel insurance!! This is fraud... I imagine how much money they made from the travel insurance of millions of travelers that never used this travel insurance!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Basically same as most latest stories of being fobbed off with still in queue and having to wait 3 hours to even get to chat online to them. To add I asked about refund, they said thanks for my patience but nothing else can be done, then said any further questions and straight after cut me off and closed it before I could ask another question. I will never use Ryanair again.

Ryanair author review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information