2.61/5

155 Ryanair Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

One star is too high rating for this company. The CEO of Ryanair Michael O'Leary should be fired effective immediate if this is how the company is run at the expense of employees and customers. Rest assured this is the last time Ryanair was used and the complaint with all the evidence is forwarded to 'Joe Lycett's Got Your Back' TV programme.

Me and my partner booked flights couple of months before heading to the holiday and bought one luggage between us. The website assured us that if need be, more luggage can be purchased later through "manage my booking" or while completing check in. Few days before our flight we decided to add extra luggage. However, the 10 kg option which was advertised on the website was not available not in the manage booking section nor in the check in section. Instead there was an option for a 20 kg bag for a massive £80 for a return flight per person (I could not believe this). When we contacted the customer service via online chat they tried to charge us £50 per 10 kg luggage for return flight per passenger which was double what we paid initially for the first luggage.

When we asked how the price had doubled we got told to book in through the website ourselves if we did not believe their prices (in a polite manner). Which we obviously could not do because the 10 kg option was not even available online. When the chat got ended and we tried to rate our experience the chatbox froze so we could not even give a rating or write a complaint although the website still continued to work (convenient!). So we were forced to travel with one luggage between us. It would have been cheaper sending our extra luggage from home to the holiday destination using express mail than paying for the luggage at Ryanair. I would say the name of the person who chatted to us had he or she even bothered to introduce themselves.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

The night before my flight, me and my friend were trying to check in online but somehow it didn’t work and the links wouldn’t direct us to the check in page. We tried checking in 8 or 10 hours before the flight. After we arrived at the airport, the RyanAir staff were extremely, extremely, horribly rude to me and my friend when we told them it didn’t work and they said we had to pay €55 although we actually arrived before the flight with 2 hours and a half to spare, and still they didn’t want to listen to us. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you check in for free up to two hours before the flight. We paid anyway because we just wanted to get on the flight and get it over with (although the damn flight was only worth €19).

When my bags were being checked, they found a product that was 170ML. They told me to check it in, which meant I should pay another €20 and I did, again, because I wanted to do anything to get on the flight and move forward with my day. Bare in mind, they told I will take it with me in my backpack on the plane and I made sure that this could actually happen because I know checking in means being treated as a big luggage and not a small one.

After I paid the €20, they told me they wanted to take my bag away and put it on the plane because they said I’m the one who understood wrong, and I really didn’t, because I know what they told me since they said it loud and clear. I ended up throwing the product, and I told them I don’t want to give them my bag and I want my money back, they didn’t want to give me my money back and again, in the most disrespectful way, they said “No, you can’t take it back. You can take your complain and go to customer service.” It basically sounded like a more polite way to say “shove it.” And I sent to the customer care service, and I can tell you this, they legit replied saying:

“We have been advised of potential security delays at Berlin Schonefeld airport. We ask that customers travelling arrive at the airport as early as possible, preferably 2 hours before their scheduled flight departure time, to ensure they have sufficient time to clear airport security and to be at the boarding gate at our recommended 30 minutes prior to scheduled fight departure time. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.“

As a British citizen who travelled a lot and knows how flights actually work and how I’m supposed to be treated as a proper European citizen, this was the worst flight of my life, because it’s not my fault from the beginning that your website glitches and it’s not my fault that you don’t know what “check in a big product” means. My flight was WZRQWV from Berlin Schönefeld to Budapest, and I honestly hoped I would get a more proper humane response than what I got.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Travelling back home from Lanzarote with a very tired toddler and trying to keep him occupied with a big pack of colouring books and stickers. A female flight attendant in her late 30’s CONTINUOUSLY walked past making comments to pick things up or walking slowly past staring at the colouring books and giving us the up and down look angrily with very tight lips. She did this 8 times.

The bad attitude wasn’t just with me however, I noticed her push in front of another passenger too. The poor woman had to grab onto the seat to gain balance. I had to look to see what the emergency was about. I thought perhaps someone fainted and she was grabbing a first aid kit. It was nuts. She pushed a passenger rudely to grab nuts for someone. I think that when one chooses to work in an environment where being pleasant is part of the job, personal issues and problems should be left at home, not taken out on strangers. Ryanair: teach your staff how to do “service with a smile”.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Sussed out a staff procedure on recent flight from Leeds to Palma Mallorca. At the same time point in both flights there was an announcement re “the captain has put on the seatbelt sign so return to your seat etc.” Both times there was not a hint of any turbulence whatsoever and the staff, pilots etc seemed to have a little break and use the loud etc. They made the passengers sit there for 15-20 mins when there was no turbulence and was for their own convenience!!

Original review: July 29, 2019

Their online check-in kept giving my girlfriend and I errors every time we tried logging in to complete check-in. We figured we'd just do it at the airport because the site said we can check in with them up to 40 minutes before departure. Upon arriving to the airport, they wanted £55 each to complete check-in! The rude customer service representative in Stansted informed us that it states so in their "Terms and Conditions" but it isn't clearly stated on their site. Their site makes it sound as if it's a convenience while conveniently forgetting to mention the £55 charge. This is the last Ryanair flight I'll ever take. I'd rather pay more money to make sure they don't get my business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: July 27, 2019

I booked a Ryanair flight from Brussels to Toulouse first time. During booking the ticket, I got an automatic email about confirmation of flight, time, luggage limits etc. but have not got a full ticket in pdf format as other airlines do. After booking 1 month before travel date they never told me about 2 hours check in rules. However, they emailed my a day before travel date but my Internet was not working as I was there in Europe for my vacation. When I reached at airport before 1 Hour 55 min of my flight time they asked me to pay 55 Euro to issue boarding pass which was terrible for me. If this is boarding pass charge it should be less than that but it looks like they are cheating with their customers. Frankly, we can read the whole website of any airlines but we can read the whole ticket with terms and conditions which they did not sent me. Totally frustrating and I paid more than 200 euro. Never gonna fly with this airline.

Original review: July 18, 2019

DO NOT FLY THIS PIECE OF CRAP! We paid our tickets we went to airport and found out that we need to check-in online or pay €110 to get our boarding passes! No one told us that and we never heard of that consider we were on vacation and never had internet! Why they have agent in airport then??? Stupid thieves.

Original review: July 14, 2019

While on holiday in Benalmadena my wife's daughter's partner passed away 6th July. Despite every effort on my part I got no help whatsoever from Ryanair. I had to pay for tickets into Cardiff although we live in east Yorkshire with Vueling Airlines who where magnificent. Ryanair should hold their heads in shame. Please if you read this avoid Ryanair. Just think god forbid it could be you in this position.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Flying from Stansted to Barcelona with my daughter for a post exam treat. Normally an easyJet customer I booked thinking I would get roughly the same service. I was so wrong. I’d booked our small travel cases as hand luggage as I followed the criteria on the website. No need to pay for cases in the hold. They were small and we were only going for 3 days. Got to the gate to realize I should have paid 2 x priority tickets. The woman on the help desk near the gate was rude and unhelpful telling me “Well, you didn’t buy priority. You now have to pay, go pay.”

I then in a panic (the plane was boarding by this point) found someone who took £40 for our 2 cases to go in the hold. On the flight the flight attendant walked off with my money telling me she owed me £10 in change (I’d bought a coffee with a £20 note). After 1/2 hour she needed to be reminded to give me my money back. The way back was just as bad. No chance to change to priority tickets. I couldn’t print the tickets off until 20 hours prior to the flight. Again had to pay another €40 for luggage to go in the hold. Service on the plane was slow, attendants were rude and unhelpful. Unless you buy the priority ticket you are treated as second class citizens. I swear I will never ever fly with them again. I’d rather pay more and have a more comfortable experience.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I was flying on March 21 from Hamburg to London Stansted and was at the airport before 4.45 am. I had a check-in luggage so I was not sure which line I should be in as it was my first time to fly with check-in luggage on a Flexi Plus. A week prior, I flew from Milan Bergamo to Hamburg on a Flexi Plus as well but I had no check in luggage.

I went to the only person available to ask where I can line up, I barely opened my mouth, saying 'excuse me' in German and was given the hand! I then decided, to back off, told my cousin who I visited in Germany and he reviewed my boarding pass. He insisted I was to line-up at the Flexi Plus counter. I lined up behind 2 people and when it was my turn, I was told that I was in the wrong line by the same person. I explained that I am under Flexi Plus and she again pointed me the direction of the standard line. She was talking to me in German, in a very condescending way, pointing to the standard line as if I had some communication problems. I showed her my boarding pass because she was not listening to whatever I was saying. I told her that she has been continuously been rude to me, and she started shouting at me that I was a difficult customer to begin with.

I asked for her manager and she refused to give any information. When I asked for her name, she also refused to give her information. To which at that point I said I need a picture so that I can provide her identity when I complain to Ryanair. I was threatened to a 'no-fly list'. At this point, I told her I refuse to speak to her in German and to switch to English because German is not my first language. When I told her I am Canadian and such service is uncalled for, she actually calmed down a bit. She started justifying her actions, she was not yet on duty when I approached her the first time at 4.40am, her job starts at 4.45am. And that so many people wants to line up on Flexi Plus so she assumed everyone is standard. I did not deserve such treatment despite that you are not on the clock and having your assumptions.

I was the only Asian I noticed at that time and no one even bat an eyelid during this incident. It appears that customer service also has no care, I sent emails twice, I got a generic apologetic response. So on my third email, I asked for the manager so I can contact directly. Another apologetic response, but this time they stated that the person who mistreated me has been reprimanded.

I think they don't care. Because of their price people will still fly with them and expect crappy service. However, Racism is not crappy service, it is a crime.

I am trying to look for an ombudsman or regulator, so if anyone knows about this, do let me know. I think Ryanair should not get away with this. Had my cousin made a video of this incident, this would have gone in a different way. How ironic is it, that March 21 is the "International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination"? Something to think about before you decide to purchase a flight from Ryanair.

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information