2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.29/5

Ryanair Reviews

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Worst airline ever. Long queues, too strict on luggage and they charge you extra for everything you carry. Apparently you not allowed to carry anything apart from hand bag for free. What can you fit in a hand bag. I had to pay £48 for 10 kilos. And we had to queue for few hours. You get nothing for free in the airplane. Not even a sandwich. And they sell their perfumes on the plane & food & drinks & the way they asking people to buy their perfumes is disturbing. No tv or even radio to listen to. The plane was shaking so badly I had panic attack. The seats are too close to each other and too tight space. I was kept next to a crying Baby & I couldn’t rest. If you travelling with family, they going to separate you and if you request seats together you need to pay more. So many hidden charges.

I got to the plane and wanted to use the toilet, they refused saying I need to wait for everyone to sit and for the plane to take off and after I can. I had to hold my wee all the way from Spain to UK because the way the plane was shaking it was giving me panic attack to leave my seat. I was too scared. Praying the whole time through. This airlines will make you hate travelling, those bad comments are 100 right.... First and last time. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

My girlfriend and I had a flight from Valencia to Kyiv on 11.01.2020 with Ryanair (FR6795). We went to visa checkpoint and they told me that, "You need a visa to travel to Ukraine because you have Turkish passport." I showed them the stamp of Ukraine in my passport and I told them I was there 5 days ago. I showed them the site of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. They kept telling me that, "You need a visa." They did not make any reasonable explanations and treated me with disrespect.

Then we went to passport control. When we were in the line, Ryanair staff looked at me and talked with the border police. When I gave my passport to the Spanish border police, he did not even check my passport and threw it to me. He did not even listen to me. I was exposed to discrimination by Ryanair staff and Spanish border police because I have Turkish passport. My girlfriend went to Kyiv and I was denied boarding. I missed my flight from Kyiv to Ankara too. I bought new tickets from Valencia to Ankara and I needed to wait for hours in Valencia airport.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

In spite of informing 20 days before scheduled itinerary to customer service that I will not be able to use the itinerary because of emergency medical condition, and later producing all authentic medical documents with doctor suggesting not to travel; Ryanair declined refund. That's ok. But my request for partial refund or govt taxes were also not obliged. In the end I requested to allow me to change the itinerary for admin fees. Was also not provided. This is put in their website that we can change the flight for a fees. Even that was not provided. Customer service on phone or just notes taking people - can't make any decisions and backend are pathetic in responding to emails.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

We were on a cruise disembarking in Genoa when the cruise company changed the city to Venice which is 5 hours away. We would miss the flight even though we had booked it late afternoon. I rang customer services and were told yes we could change the flight for a fee of 35 Euro pp, tried to get the cost back from the cruise company but couldn't. Original cost of the one way flight for me and hubby was 125 Euro. This included priority booking 2 suitcases, 2 seats. Including our original cost the total flight now would cost us £257!!!! I thought naively that we would receive a charge of 70 Euro as the customer services had told me it would be. It seems not only have they charged the 70 euro change of flight fee but have increased our suitcases cost to £40(£80) per case, increase up FROM £20(£40) per person for our priority booking and increased our seat cost as well. How can they justify this total hike.

I rang customer services before I paid and they said, "Oh this is always happening just e-mail customer services and they will refund the difference." Well I have contacted them by using the e-mail they gave me and received a complete nonsense email of them trying to justify the cost which is twice the price we paid previously. I have asked if a manager can ring me and explain to me why they have upped the priority booking and suitcase charges. If I do not receive my refund I am taking this to the small claims court as this is totally unjustified and a rip off. DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS AIRLINE, It is the only way they will change if we all boycott this airline.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Very bad service and experience with staff and airlines. Disappointed with the airlines. Would never recommend or choose even if they provide tickets for free. Very bad user interface in mobile and we couldn't check in due to technical issues and decided to do it at the airport. At the airport the check in desk told us that we must have checked in online, and we were asked to pay 1200sek for check in at the airport (even more than the price of the ticket itself). Very bad airlines. Please don't book any tickets with Ryan or else you go in loss at the end. Inside flight no food provided after pulling so much money from you. I felt Ryan airlines as beggars asking for money for everything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

This company commands their staff to rip you off as much as they can at the check in counters. **. This company commands their staff to rip you off as much as they can at the check in counters, it’s really unreasonable. My ticket Baggage allowance was 20kg x 3 bags total 60kg. At the counter I wanted to check in 2 bags total weight of 50kg. The short hair woman at the Lisbon airport terminal 2 counter said I had to check in one more bag to check in or I must pay £110.00 in excess baggage. Something about maximum per bag is 20kg and not more. I saw the baggage allowance policy online that you are able to pool your luggages together to make the allowed weight. But I decided to let it go and bought an empty luggage from the nearby shop for £120.00 to check in at a total weight of 53kg.

What’s more, since I didn’t print my boarding pass I had to pay additional £110.00 to check in at the counter. Totally spent an extra of £230.00 for nothing at all. Their staffs are not at all clear about their policy, just use their authority to rip you off your money as much as they can. Search pooling bags on Ryanair on google. Apparently their staff members are “ignorant” about it. Just see the amount of people queuing being coerced to pay for stuff at the Ryanair counter vs easyJet, you know they are a rip off.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Folks, Do not fly with Ryan Air. Despite me providing them with evidence that we experienced technical difficulties as result of their website they have refused to reimburse the £300 check in fee. £50 x 6 passengers - 2 Adults 4 children. The attached image shows that the date of birth for a fellow passenger does not go further back than 21 Nov 2007.

This raises several questions:

1. That if there is a problem with the website how does somebody then actually check in, surely having a check in booth at the airport seems sensible?

2. £50 fee to check in when all the person behind the desk did was type our names and passport numbers in. How can they justify that fee?

When you try speak to them you get a call centre who simply pass the buck by saying "we don't have the details for the refund department, you need to do it online." According to their website all children are require to sit with an adult. This is Not the case !! and when challenged at the airport about it you're simply told you have to sort it out at the gate. When we ask at the gate we then get told that it would be up to us to ask people to move. Which we did! Seriously, whatever happened to customer service?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I booked economy + tickets and booked my seats at the time of bookings. Received several nonsense emails from the airline apart from an email stating to do check-in. At the airport, I had to pay £110 for the 2 of us, for not doing the online check-in’s. I am a frequent flyer with International airlines and never heard about this nonsense ever. £55 for not doing the online check-ins.. What a rip-off... As soon as we landed at the Prague airport we received our luggage in a very poor condition (completely open) and the airport staff had no idea why our baggage was open and sent separately. Upon asking the reason for receiving the luggage in the poor condition, we received no response.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

This airline is quite simply the worst airline ever. They are single handedly destroying all the goodwill in air travel by exploiting the customer at every opportunity! When you book your flights with Ryanair via a comparison website, bear in mind the following...

- Carry on luggage is now just a small bag unless you upgrade at £14 per flight for priority boarding.

- If you fail to check online before 2 hours prior to your flight, you are fined £55.

- If you want to sit next to your friend it will cost you an extra £4 each.

- If you have any complaints or issues with your flight, you can't talk to any Ryanair staff at the airport but instead you will talk to staff from another company with the same logo but called Blue Haulage. They can't really help you at all and they just keep saying you need to contact Ryanair.

I'm sure there are more bad things about Ryanair, this is just my recent experience. I will never ever use them ever again!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

This is with reference to my flight (FR196) from Berlin to Budapest on 07.11.2019 for two people. I am a frequent flyer with Ryanair, but never came across a need to file a complain until yesterday. I had a flight to board at 7:30 am from Berlin SXF airport. As usual I tried to check in a day before my departure, but unfortunately due to some technical problems I was not able to do so. As advised by the web page, I also tried to use the app to make my check in, but again failed. I was noticed that the technical breakdown or repair will be till 2 am and I should try after that. I tried a lot to check in after 3:30 or 4:00 am, but was not able to do so. It again and again made me come back to the same page after I put in my details of passport and other required information.

After a long wait it took me to a page to the final step of check in, but unfortunately it again said there is some technical problem and I cannot check in from here and should do at airport. I do have a screenshot of the same with me, and can share if required. At the airport, I was not provided with my boarding pass until I paid 110 EUR (55 EUR per person). I told them the whole situation but the person concerned could not just help us but was highly rude in speaking and just denied to help us out in any means. I also requested him to make me speak to any person concerned with Ryanair, but again I was in dismay to get any help. I was told that the people were informed by the company about this technical hitch and advised to check in earlier. But I assure I never got any email, not just me there were few other people at airport who said the same. I believe not everyone is lying.

All this happened around 5:45 am and my flight was scheduled to depart at 7:28 am. Since the time I was told all this, I tried all the means to connect to the Ryanair representative, through phone or live chat or email. But unfortunately I again was given a set back, there was no one who could help me. I would have been fine to pay the money (110EUR), if assured that those will be returned to me, as it was not my mistake that the server was down. I have the screenshot of the chats when no one responded to my query. I just cannot understand that if a person has some emergency beyond the working hours, where is one suppose to contact. I had to eventually skip my flight and my whole money went in waste. I had paid for my return flight too (two persons), which was non refundable. All my hotel bookings were non refundable and everything just got ruined. It just did not made me suffer financially but mentally too.

Not sure about Ryanair?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information