2.07/5

128 Ryanair Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

April 2019. I was traveling all around Scotland 3 weeks before by Ryanair flight. I didn't have access to a printer so I couldn't print my boarding pass. I got to the airport 15 minutes late only to find that they were hitting me with a 50 pound penalty. As a senior citizen, I pleaded my case with the ticket agent and she said it was policy not to waive the fee. Now keep in mind the 50 pounds was more than double the price of my ticket. So I said I'm better off just re-booking my flight and not paying the 50 pound fee.

They said, "no you can't do that the flight is booked." However, if I pay the 50 pounds in addition to what I already paid for the ticket, they can find a seat for me. That was just terrible. They may have robbed me the 50 pounds this time, but do you think I will ever fly that airline again? No way! Not only did they lose a customer, but they lost any future business. Whoever the marketing person is who came up with that policy should be fired. It discriminates against Americans because we don't see this type of fine or penalty for not checking in 2 hours before a flight. I flew a different airline on the way back. It's their loss.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Received repetitive and robotic answers from customer service complaints department following a flight delay. Just a copy and paste of standard responses. No willingness to resolve a complaint from a disgruntled mistreated customer so I will simply no longer use this airline and share my views on this diabolically unreasonable company to anyone who will listen.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Ryanair charge me GBP110 at the airports because I did not check in online and did not arrive more than 2 hours before the departure. The airfare itself was GBP311.42 for a return flight from/to London and Sofia for my business trip. The trick there was that I went to the Online Boarding Check-In site when Ryanair sent me the e-mails to do online check-in and selected the seats. When I completed the check-in at home in London and at the hotel in Sofia, the screen changed to the online web home page. I believed that I had checked in but was told at the airport that I had not checked in and they (the person at Stanstead and Nikolay ** at Sofia Airport) got me pay additional GBP 55 each at each airport. It is a controversial practice to charge additionally 35% of the airfare because of their poor IT system.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I flew to am Rome (Ciampino) from Stanstead for a 4 day break. My luggage was initially lost. It was eventually was found and located back to Stanstead 8 hours after my arrival. I was told by the luggage information team that it would be delivered to me the following morning around 8-9 am. My case was delivered to me 12 hours late. I spent the whole day calling the luggage information desk but they ignore all calls it. Ryanair customer service were not interested. I wrote to Ryanair when I got back to London, only to received a automated response not addressing my issue. Ryanair purposely ignore all complaints in the hope customer will give up. Ryanair you are so unprofessional...

Original review: April 9, 2019

My wife and I were on a trip from London-Stansted airport to Cork on March 28, 2019. We got to the airport 90 minutes prior to departure, with plenty of time to check in. As this was our first flight on Ryanair, we were not aware of their online check-in policy. We never received any reminders or texts to prompt us to proceed with early check-in. We were told to make a line with Customer Service. Even though we had plenty of time before our flight, the line was slow and several people were allowed to cut in. As a result, it took too long to pay for the $144.85 check-in penalty. Staff then misdirected us to the wrong bag drop-off and we missed the 40 minute cut off for boarding by 2 minutes.

To add insult to injury, we were then told that we would have to rebook to the next available flight 4 hours later and charged an additional $118.51. We had a confrontation with several members of the company that were unhelpful and actually blamed us for the situation. We finally did get help from a manager. Even he admitted that our experience and delay was frustrating and could have been avoided with improved efficiency and better guidance from staff. We sent Ryanair a detailed email explaining what happened and asking for a refund of the excess charges we incurred. They dismissed our arguments and again missed the opportunity to correct a poorly handled situation. They truly live up to their horrible reputation for customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ryanair?

Original review: April 8, 2019

I, Prashant ** had booked flight from Barcelona to Venice on 25th March, **. I arrived at the drop in counter at 5:45am, at least 1.5 hrs before the boarding time to drop my 10kg baggage of desired size. We were also carrying two small handbags of desired size & weight for myself & my wife. But to my surprise, the lady at the baggage counter yelled at us & told that we had not checked in earlier so now you have to pay 190 euros for all 3 bags. She gave no reasons for why we need to pay such a huge amount for just one 10kg check in bag. I repeatedly pleaded her that we have limited money & requested to help but she again shouted and told that if you want to board flight, pay money. We were left with no choice but to cough up 190 euros for reasons not known to us as we were in a foreign country & were scared. We also felt that she was racially biased as she was talking nicely to people of fair color.

After paying 190 Euros, I asked her whether we can take our handbags with us & she replied in positive. Our nightmare didn’t stopped here. On reaching boarding gates, we were again stopped & asked to pay 40 euros again. I was utterly shocked & asked the person reason for again charging for handbag but he gave no proper response & said that your bags will go only if you pay again. I can see the coldness & insensitivity in his eyes for us. My wife was in tears as we have to pay the last 50 euros to him to allow our bags inside the plane.

After this horrific racially abusive experience, me & my wife are in a state of shock & trauma because something like this never happened to us with any airlines in our whole life. We felt humiliated & disrespected on one hand & on the other side our hard earned money was robbed by your staff for no reasons. I am scared to fly again with Ryanair air again as we have another flight on 1st April which we decided to cancel. Ryanair air is the worst airlines with no morality and they are trained how to take advantage of helpless passenger. I demand a strong action against this airlines including cancellation of their license. Also I claim for punitive damages for the racial discrimination done to us along with refund of extra money fleeced from us without reason.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Sorry, that could be send as the daftest question, but so annoying, why when all the seats around you are empty, you put us in the middle of separate rows, is this to encourage everyone to book early, as any couples booking will have to sit either side of me. We now know why at the last resort we book Ryanair. As to live chat, not 100% sure. It's not a clever computer as did not know some very basic facts. Computer says no!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Absolutely awful airline. Travelled with them last August to Corfu, awful service, nothing like easyJet, swore I never would again but unfortunately made the mistake of booking with them recently via Loveholidays. Two weeks after booking I needed to change one of the parties due to one person not being able to come and even though we had yet to enter in passport details and I made the changes online, they charged £115!!! Not only that but you can now no longer take a small case into the hold, only a much smaller bag that fits under the seat, so we were also charged extra for the small case. Looking up other airlines, EasyJet still has the small case as a free hold bag and only charges £25 to change a name. After this, definitely no more Ryanair!!!

Original review: March 26, 2019

I and my friends had booked a flight from To Rome (Ciampino) FR8332 Prague - Rome (Ciampino) on 14th March 2019. We were not quite aware of Ryanair's stupid policy of checking online prior, so far not seen like that in any other airlines that we traveled by. We reached just 15 mins after the online check-in was closed. The crew was not very helpful and quite rude in telling us the airlines policy. We had to pay more than 55 Euros for check-in and when asked why the extra charge, they were not quite aware of it. The lady told us this the cost that my system gave me I don't anything about it. To be precise we paid 4950 CZK per person which is almost the cost we paid for booking the tickets. The airlines should advertise less and not misguide the customer. Instead, their focus should be on educating customers about their policies in bold letters if they are going to charge such stupid fees. Would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Name: Dennis **. Itinerary Number: **. Message: I booked a flight on Ryanair from Malaga to Birmingham for 28th March 2019. I have still not received email confirmation from Ryanair. The booking date was March 21st 2019. The payment of 100 GBP was taken from my account on March 21st 2019. I checked my account which says that the payment is pending (meaning Ryanair has not accepted my payment yet). I phoned Ryanair & they stated that they'd found my booking & would email me the details, I am still waiting hours later for them to do this. I am very displeased with how they deal with customer inquiries.

Original review: March 20, 2019

We had to pay 250 pounds at the airport to receive out boarding pass as it would not let us log in online. We ran the airport and was told to come to the airport for assistant. When we arrived we explained and they just ignored us and turned their backs. Worst experience.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Not normally one for negative reviews but Ryanair deserve some attention for their absolutely disgusting customer service. Our flight was delayed 3 hours and we had no choice but to leave as our little one was already under the weather. They emailed apologizing and offering to refund or re-book if we were unable to travel. 3 days of rude, unhelpful customer service, being hung up on, and they refuse to honor either offer, advising they would only do so if we did it BEFORE the delayed flight finally departed!?? Even though the email was sent AFTER the flight departed??? They also refuse to reimburse for nonrefundable accommodation booked at destination. Just FYI...strongly advise to avoid at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Ryanair is the worst airline company! Do not fly with them!!! It was our first flight and it will be the last one with Ryanair (flight from Fuerteventura to Luton on 20th February 2019). At the border control from Fuerteventura we had to provide more identification documents in addition to the passports. Even though my husband and I have explained that we are from EU and we came on the island as tourists for at least 4 time over the last 2 years. Then they asked us questions as: what do we do in the UK and also to provide the address where we live in the UK, and as an explanation of all of this they ended up saying ironically that is just a double check. It was really embarrassing because we were the only tourists who were stopped at the queue and the other passengers from EU countries didn't got questioned at all. They don’t care about us!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Today 19.02.2019 had a check in for a Ryanair flight from Bucharest to Stanstead (Reference ** Flight FR 1008 ) Otopeni Bucharest around 4.10 pm we had booked Priority tickets, at the gate one of the Ryanair “staff ladies" picked my wife for checking one of the cabin bag and had a go at my wife, rather aggressive than civilized on the size of this cabin bag as it’s bigger than the standard.

I just stepped out and I’ve said to the “lady" we had all the bags checked when we left Stanstead last Friday and earlier 3.15 pm at the main front desk when we had to wait patiently for 30 minutes for the confirmation of the only one 20 kg checked bag which we had it booked and paid on 18.02.2019. I tried to get an explanation why Ryanair airline is using a double standards unexpectedly this "Lady" exploded (shocking my whole family and the people around us). She was far from treating us with respect. Extremely rude, unprofessional and very aggressive.

At this point I’ve asked her if she could give me her name as she had no ID badge visible. This just sparked the atmosphere and she got my whole family out of the line. Asking for her name again she was completely out of the box and my family was scared about the whole situation. Took my phone out to record the Ryanair airline “employee's behavior “ and I took a picture of her face. The Lady was shouting and threatened me like will call airport security to escort me out and I’ll lose my flight. I decided to make a formal complaint to her next in line manager but my girls were nearly crying and begging me to do whatever this ”Lady” demands.

She was shouting to me to delete the picture taken with her face and to show up the phone for her to check that, meanwhile also she took a picture of me with her phone. I said it’s fine as I’m not going to leave her impressive show without a explanation. I am still under the shock as after more than 10 years of using Ryanair airline and never had a bad experience. I hope you can check the video recording from the terminal and somehow to discipline this “Lady" which was called by one or her colleagues “Andrea." Hopefully you will reply to the message as we will try to seek legal advice in this problem.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

This company are a complete and utter shambles. Our outbound flights we purchased 2 x 10kg check-in bags for £12 each. However on our inbound flight, we were unable to purchase 2 x 10kg check-in bags, as the online system and app simply wouldn’t allow this. When we complained the airport in Barcelona, the Ryanair team showed no compassion and pointed to the £40 per bag option which may I add was for larger suitcases! We even videoed and was able to evidence that the app didn’t allow us to add the option we wanted for our 10kg luggage. Ryanair completely do not care about their customers, and will do everything in their power to take take take more money from their consumers.

And another extremely poor service is that Ryanair purposely split my and my partner up and gave us seats eg 1A and 33D. However when boarding there were free seats next to both of our allocated seats so we moved anyway. Never ever will I travel with Ryanair again. Their company is an embarrassment and should be ashamed of how they absolutely rinse their customers

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I had purchased tickets and understood I needed to "check in" 2 hrs prior to flying out, but because I had kids, their system would not allow my kids to "check-in". I keep referring to "check-in" because I had already paid for a family package which assured me the seats ahead of time. What they refer to check-in is what I would call boarding pass. So anyway, I got to the airport and explained to the person taking my luggage that I don't have a boarding pass because their system would not allow me to do so for 2 adults and 2 kids. She directed me to a window that had opened exactly 2 hrs prior to boarding where an extremely rude person forced me to pay 55 euros each to print a boarding pass. 220 euros because their system would not let me do so...

I explained my situation but she would not listen, in fact, she warned me that I would not board the plane and she did not care a bit about my circumstances. I ended up paying for what took her less than 2 minutes to print the boarding passes and when I got back home I tried to speak with someone from their office. Good Luck to me... I tried online and by e-mail but could not get anywhere. After about 1 month I got an email stating their policy if you don't "check-in" or as I call it to print a boarding pass. If you can help it, stay away from this company. The prices may be good up front but they get you in other ways you can not even imagine.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Me and my partner had missed our flight on Friday due to being stuck on the M11 for 6 hours due to a lorry crash which closed the M11 and we were within trapped traffic. Explaining this to Ryanair multiple times and asking is there anything that can be done or for them to show any empathy at all was asking for too much. We were told there was nothing they can do and only offered us an alternative flight for the Sunday afternoon, not considering our return flight was Monday morning. We have been offered no compensation or any correspondence in regards to an incident which was not our fault. Would never fly with Ryanair again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I had booked flights to return from Eindhoven to Stansted on the 27th of May 2018. So we go to the airport 1 hour before the flight departure. We went through the airport security and everything was going as planned. Halfway through the security procedure, one of the Ryanair customer service representatives asked us where we were going. We told her we were going back to Stansted, and she turns around in shock and she said and I quote "Did you not know? The flight has been cancelled". This was 40 minutes before the flight. She escorted us to this long line of people waiting at the Ryanair service desk. No one knew what was going on, or why the flight was cancelled. Surprise surprise, the customer service just walked off and left 200 people waiting in line to see how they would get back home.

Please note that, we had never received a message or email or telephone call to be informed. We were not provided any alternative flight, or money or a hotel room, which they are obliged to do so, as per the EU Regulations. So we had to book new flights from Amsterdam. Once I came back home I complained various times to Ryanair waiting for a compensation, and they kept declining. So I decided I would take things further with the AviationADR.

7 months down the line, Ryanair came up with the excuse that Stansted Airport was delaying the plane because of lightning striking the fuel station within the airport. I assure you, if that was the case, definitely it would be all over the news (load of lies). Today I have contacted the ADR and the only thing they said to me, is that Ryanair has terminated the contract with them and there was nothing they could do. It is disgusting that Ryanair goes to this extent of lying to the customers, and not considering for one minute that they are not doing their job right.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Booked by mistake a flight to Eindhoven. When I tried to change the booking within the 24hr grace period to a cheaper flight which I checked online, the employee on the phone told me that the flight was more expensive and I would have to pay the difference. After the phone call, which by the way she just hung up on me, I checked the flight on their system and it was still cheaper. I still cannot make sense of this, the only sense is that they have configured their systems to purely abuse their clients and we are paying to be abused.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Booked a package with Ryanair Holidays in September 2018. Credit Card did get charged with the booking confirmation was received online as attached. Having chased them up for almost 7 days now because I needed my travel documents to apply for the visa of the place I was SUPPOSEDLY visiting and having gotten all sorts of incorrect answers and excuses from them... Finally one of the customer service agent has admitted that there is no booking in their system with this booking number ** and that he will process the refund.

Funny thing is they kept sending me emails about a previous cancelled booking that I already know I have cancelled. Do you even read the emails properly? Seriously how incompetent are you guys to read about 10 emails wrong and respond with an answer that has got nothing to do with my request to begin with. Could have just said that you screwed up and I would have not wasted so much of my time on you lot. Finding the booking, making arrangements for the travel, chasing up the pointless chat agents, phone agents, one sided emails... All sorts...

Another hysterical experience was when one of chat agent wanted my credit card details to confirm my identity and only then she could send me the documents. The next time I try to chat, another agent goes - by law we cannot take anyone's card details on chat. Sounds like laws are agent specific. Lol. So then I call up to the UK customer services who says - "I recommend not contacting the chat agents because they are likely to misguide you more than guide." What team guys and what customer service. I mean what a bloody circus this.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Ryanair is the worst airline company! Do not fly with them!!! We had a 8 hour delay in our flight. According to the EU regulation we should have a compensation of 250€. It’s been 3 months that we exchanging emails with Ryanair requesting the compensation! Every time, they find a new excuse and we still haven’t received the transfer! Now they say that they send the transfer in November and even if we are stating and proving (proof from the bank) that we haven’t received the money, they now say that they cannot do anything! They don’t care about us!

They don’t care for their customers at all! This is the worst service I ever received!!! We only exchange emails as communication way because it is the only way we are able to communicate with them! We tried all phone numbers to call them and never been able to reach them! As if their numbers don’t exist! It is unacceptable that we cannot reach them by phone! So every time we email Ryanair, it is always a different person answering us without taking time to look at the problem! They just don’t care! It’s been more than 3 months and we have exchange hundreds of email. I will never flight with them again and will certainly not give up on receiving our compensation no matter what it takes!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Only wanted to cancel my bags and seats not my flight. Would not allow me as company policy don't cancel anything. Customer services the most unhelpful people ever. Book elsewhere. Date of travel: January 2019.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Booked a return flight to Prague but unfortunately broke my ankle and couldn’t go. Tried getting in touch with Ryanair by phone and live chat. Ended up speaking to Hungarians. Basically they're not interested and said all I can do is claim back the airport tax. Just been looking into it and tried filling form in only to be told I’d filled in wrong even though I hadn’t. I've now given up now because they charge 17 pound a person to process which is virtually the money you’d get back. This has got to be the worst company for customer relations and like many other people I’d love them to go bust.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

On 15th of October 2018 I bought 2 tickets from Bucharest to London. I used the data stored under My Companions and when I wanted to check-in I noticed that the second passenger had my name, partially. I paid 115 euros and thought about myself that I must be going nuts until I discovered so many other people in same situation. This is unacceptable! I tried writing them for days but so far no chance to have a normal discussion. I even received tips on how to unsubscribe to their emails!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have been using Ryanair for many years and thankfully I have never had any problems until now. I recently booked return flights for my wife, myself and two children. I chose the standard fares and then added the extras like priority boarding (and 2 hand luggage), one 20kg suitcase and seat reservations (I only had to purchase for one adult, the other 3 were included). I reviewed the total price and proceeded with purchase.

Upon receiving an email with my itinerary I noticed that priority boarding wasn’t included and that I had been charged more for the seat reservation. However the total purchase price was still the same, it just seemed that the reservation had been changed, priority boarding removed and the return flight price increased. On contacting Ryanair several times, and passed from one department to another, I have been repeatedly told everything is correct. It is however NOT CORRECT. I don’t know how to proceed, but I don’t want them to get away with this. It is basically their word against mine. I definitely won’t be using them again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

The “small bag” is plain ridiculous. Will never be flying with this airline again. Missed their tiny bag measurement by 2 cm and had to pay 20€ just to check in my bag. Ridiculous. The lady at the counter still had the audacity to ask if I had another bag to put transfer my things into. WHO WOULD HAVE THAT? Honestly no issues flying here with THE SAME EXACT BAG AND THE SAME EXACT TICKET TYPE. Inconsistency, poor service, squeezing customers dry, constant delays and cancellations... Name a worst airline, I’ll wait.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I have been flying with Ryanair frequently for over two years now and always when buying ticket we use autofill to fill in details so there is no mistake or typo. We never had problems up until now when 3 days prior to flying I went to website to check in for my flight and I spotted that my surname has been changed to surname of my partner as we used his card to pay for the flight, similar as in the past purchases. Site during the generation of the tickets must have changed my surname to his as I don’t believe it was typed as never is due to autofill when logged in to account.

Funny enough two tickets were bought in the matter of 5 minutes and both had the same surname changed. To change name online it costs 115£ per flight, a nightmare and there is no way you can prove to them it is something on their website wrong so be aware to check your names always three times and check confirmation email too. Ryanair in answer to that says you have 24 hours to check for mistakes in your name, what if this is genuine mistake. Have you experienced similar? Email me **.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Ryanair has always had a bad reputation for rinsing their customers of money, and now I can see why! DON'T BELIEVE THE CHEAP ADVERTISEMENT OF FLIGHTS. In case you didn't know, they have now changed their hand luggage policy so that you can only take a small backpack, laptop bag or handbag on board with you. So you are FORCED to pay to check a bag.

Okay fine. So they've added a 10 kg bag option for £10 online to allow for this. BUT, you have to go through the whole check-in process in order to add the bag and then once you've paid £10 you then realise that it only applies to your outbound flight. So guess what, you have to pay ANOTHER £10 to take that same bag back home with you. Had I have known this from the start I could have quickly realised that it would've been far cheaper to fly with a different airline. It is a disgrace that they are deliberately trying to scam people AND they get away with it! Who is in charge of regulating these airline companies and acting on behalf of the customers who lose at every turn! It's appalling. Transparency of prices should be enforced. Will never be flying with them again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I agree with other reviews I have read here about RyanAir and their money-making schemes. As a touring musician I fly frequently with my partner, yet somehow when booking our most recent flights it appears that I typed my surname in place of his. It cost me 115€ to change it online. Upset by the expense, I posted about it on Facebook, only to have the same story repeated by good friends of ours. They use "auto-fill" when booking their flights so they don't see how they could possibly have had any typing errors with the names. At this point I began to lose faith in RyanAir.

Then at the airport I was charged a surprise fee of 50€ to fly with my guitar. I have flown 12+ times with RyanAir over the last 18 months and have always simply booked the guitar as Hold Luggage for the usual extra 15 or 20€. I would accept the 50€ fee if it covered either: especially careful handling, insurance, excessive bulk/weight but it doesn't! There is absolutely no reason this fee exists.

I travel with an acoustic guitar in a hard-case which is already insured, only weighs 7 kg, and takes up no more room than some large suitcases. And, when waiting to board our plane, I saw my guitar case upside down on the tarmac. We have marked it clearly with arrows and FRAGILE tape. Why am I paying 50€ for baggage staff to treat my guitar like any old suitcase? When chatting with RyanAir customer service online after our trip, the reason given for the extra charge is "It is our policy" and that is all. I will never fly with them again and will be advising all my musician friends to follow suit.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Very bad experience flying with them, they are waiting for your faults, and if you don't pay abusive extra bills, you don't fly. Never again, at the end, cheaper with any other company. Always the same, let's see if I learn it and remember this for next time. 55 euros the paper in black and white that I show you, printed in seconds. Pay or you don't fly.

Ryanair expert review by Erika Armstrong

Ryanair is a Dublin based low-cost airline that is Europe’s busiest international airline by passenger numbers. They fly 1600 flights daily to 185 destinations and boast the most on-time flights of any airline in Europe.

• Won’t lose your baggage: Ryanair claims to have the most innovative way of handling baggage which they boast is nearly “perfect”.

• Low cost: They don’t hide that they are the cheapest for a reason and they’ll do anything to keep air travel affordable. In exchange for unbeatable fares, be prepared for non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards on the back of seats and life jackets stowed overheard.

• Price guarantee: If you find a cheaper fare on a qualifying route with another airline, then they will pay “double the difference” between the air fare paid to Ryanair and the lower fare quoted on another carrier, but watch the fine print.

• Newest fleet: Ryanair claims to have the newest, greenest and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe (primarily newer/retrofitted Boeing 737s).

• Business Plus: Even though they have the lowest fares, they offer a Business Plus program that can help you get through security faster.

• Best for: International vacationers and business travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Ryanair Company Information