3.15/5

132 Intercontinental Hotels Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

Friendly staff. Very helpful. Breakfast was good. Loved the pancakes. Ask for a higher floor. I was put on second floor. Also room was a bit dated. Location was great. Right on the edge of downtown. I would stay again.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Initial check-in had me suspicious based on the clerk. However the staff was excellent for the remainder of my visit. The fitness room was sufficiently equipped to support a regular fitness routine.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019
Hello, everyone. I just had a great, amazing time at MisCon this weekend. Thank you for the staff there, providing the food and helping us with our room and everything. Everybody treated us very well, from the staff. I had the best time ever at MisCon. Everybody had great films and a great party. I just love coming there whenever I can. My films, I'm glad everybody enjoys them. I loved the bed. Really nice mattress. The towels are very soft. And I just really appreciate the time and the effort the staff does for all the stuff that goes on there at MisCon. It was, you know, thousands of people and you guys do really hard work, so I appreciate that. And just keep up the good work and I will keep coming back to MisCon. Thank you so much, again, for your hospitality, and friendship, and I'll see you guys next year. Thank you.
Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Lobby was very decorative and location is central to area venues, shopping and restaurants. I picked as it was near where I started and ended my marathon. Dinner in the room for two nights had a nice city lights view. I had the breakfast buffet that had some good offerings and was convenient. Parking was located nearby. The room and bathroom was nice. Appreciated the assist with getting bags to and from our room.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I accumulated 21,448 frequent stay points (worth approx $245) during my work career and I retired 2013. I called IHG 6/12/15 and was told my points would NEVER expire and there would be NO blackout usage dates. When I reviewed my account today, I was informed their rules changed in 2016. At first, I was asked if I could verify any activity in 2016 to retain my account. Then I was told my lack of activity since then would still invalidate my points. I never received any email or phone notification of their 2016 policy change. I was told there was no recourse or appeal, so there was no need to call a supervisor. Hilton reactivated my points so I'll stay with them. I recommend you avoid IHG's fraudulent actions and stay elsewhere as they don't value loyal customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intercontinental Hotels?

Original review: June 12, 2019

Best price guarantee is not REAL. In short: Booking.com had a room for 103.99 and IHG had one at 117.00. I booked with IHG since I have their cc and they "state" they have a best price guarantee. I submitted the claim on Wed. at 6:20 P.M. Their department checked the next day at 7:40 a.m. The price the next day had obviously increased to 119.00. They said they couldn't honor the 103.99 because that price was not available at the time they checked... I took screenshots just in case this occurred but they also wouldn't look at them. I understand this is all to work to the advantage of the company but then in reality they don't have a best price guarantee. They don't have a number you could call and so they can check immediately. They want time to pass so the price hopefully changes. I am disappointed and I feel lied to.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I had a 4-night reservation confirmation for the Intercontinental San Francisco that indicated I qualified for reward points (15288). On March 6, 2019 I made a change with IHG -over the phone, spoke to 'Pat'- and was guaranteed that this change would not disqualify me from earning points. Upon check in at the IHG SFO no one said anything but upon check out on June 6th I was told my 4-night stay did not qualify for points. This is especially frustrating as I would have never stayed at this hotel if I knew. I will never stay with IHG again if I can avoid it. M.**.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I booked a room in New Orleans, and then about a week later wanted to add one night. First, they sent an email with a different name on the booking. Then they changed the price for the first night when I added one night. I called, got knocked off, and I’m tired of just trying to be understood and helped. I think this is my last stay.

Original review: June 1, 2019

IHG customer service continues to drop. Have been a member since 2012, several thousand points earned and can’t use them for the rooms I need. Every time I call in I get this randomly selected only “one time offer” yet I keep getting offered it which is a scam anyways. Just tired of the lies this company is doing lately. Horrible service. Time to switch to Marriott facilities.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I am an Aspire Elite (yearly stay of 75 or more nights). I was upgraded to a 1 BR king suite but was told 4 days later that I had to move to another room as they needed it as there was a large country music festival in town and that other guests were wanting to book a suite at the hotels higher than normal rack rate. I'm a lifetime elite member of Marriott and Hyatt Hotels and have never experienced a demand to move from my room so they can use it for other customers paying a higher rate. IHG and its franchised properties do not really care about their customers. Do yourself a favor and spend your money at the larger chains as Marriott and Hyatt who really care about customer service

Original review: May 23, 2019

I made a best price guarantee claim, because their hotel rooms are always found cheaper on other websites. However they refuse to price match, and lie about quotes. They have no intention to price match and will say they can’t see the cheaper prices, even though I can get the cheaper prices repeatedly, even today. Conveniently they reject screenshots as they don’t like to see themselves proved wrong. They clearly don’t care about their customers, so do yourselves a favour and book the cheaper quote found on 3rd party websites. (Google hotels will help you find them.)

Original review: May 22, 2019

It is bad enough the short time 12 months IHG expires points earned, but I paid for additional points, then lost my job. After 24 months my travel was starting back up, but all my points had expired, including the points I paid for. How can they expire something paid for and unused? What a rip off, won't stay with any IHG hotels ever again!

Original review: May 19, 2019

Price guarantee is a joke, you only have 24 hours after purchasing to submit, and they also mention: that IHG Member Early Access Sale is an invalid third party website, the competing website should be a non-IHG website which is defined as a website not owned by IHG, that makes IHG rooms inventory publicly available and offers it directly to consumers, and that provides a confirmation of a completed reservation at the moment of completion of that reservation. Meaning if they drop their price on their own website, you get punished by booking earlier.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Terrible experience. Stayed here and wrote a review on another site. Basically called us liars. I’ve stayed at all kinds of IHG properties and have never left a bad review. Here’s the review. Stayed here while attending sporting events.. When I opened the door to room 1201 it stank. I pulled the blankets back off the bed and it was filthy. Hair, scabs and dirt. Totally disgusting. I’m an IHG member and have stayed at hundreds of Holiday Inns. This one is absolutely abhorrent. I started to itch when I sat on the couch. My sons head began itching. I was going to stay for 3 nights. However after this experience I cancelled my remaining nights and booked at the Rogers Center . DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. IT IS DISGUSTING.

They responded with “you cancelled before checking in.” Yes. We cancelled as we checked in. It was too late to cancel Friday night. So we cancelled the other 2 nights and then left. I have pictures of the state of the bed. Their staff needs to learn about personal hygiene. Another response was that they have received good reviews. Lol.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I’ve been a IHG rewards member for more than 5 years. In 2019 I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn Express 4 times. Turns out AAA discounts are better than actual Rewards Members discounts. When I just made my reservation for this week in Waltham/Boston as a Rewards member I was told I have the best rate but my wife looked online and found a better rate for AAA members. I called and had my reservation updated since I’m a AAA member. As an IHG Rewards member I expect to get points for each stay. I called IHG several times to inquire about my ZERO points balance after multiple stays and a 500 point bonus to listen to their vacation sales pitch for 20 min. Can’t get through to an Agent after multiple attempts. Waste of my time!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I went through priceline.com at 6:30 AM to find a hotel for my wife's birthday in Kansas City, MO. A message popped up from Intercontinental advertising a rate of $179. I filled out the request and entered my credit card number (even though it was not required). Later that morning (approximately 10:30 AM) I called Intercontinental Hotel at 401 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Mo. (816) 756-1500. I spoke to the front desk. They said I did not have a room for 4/27 to 4/28 and there were no vacancies. They referred me to a manager. The manager sent me back to the front desk. They said I was a "no show" for the previous day. It was then that I learned a mistake happened and I was booked for this hotel the previous day. I told them I booked in the morning of 4/27 and there was a mistake. I asked if I could have a room. They said the hotel was booked.

I was told by both Booking.com and Intercontinental Hotel (Kansas City, MO) they would both call me back at 2:00. There was no phone call. I waited. I tried to call back. My phone calls were dropped. I reached the front desk, and they switched me to a manager. It went round and round until I was dropped again. I called back. I was told the manager was gone and I would have to call back Monday.

I called back Monday morning at approximately 11 AM. I was told the manager was busy. I called back again. A phone call was left on my voicemail. This is when Mr. ** became involved. I thought the message was from the General manager since I was told only the GM could refund this charge. ** left the wrong phone number. I called back and left him a message.

I called back to speak to the General Manager, hoping to get a more reasonable response. I was unable to reach anyone, and no one returned my calls. I was being ignored. My wife drove me to the hotel, where I hoped to speak to the General Manager in person. I was told ** was in a team meeting that could last for between 30 minutes to an hour. I was told ** was in the same meeting. I provided my cell phone number and that of my wife. I waited for them to return. After 40 minutes and following a discussion with my credit card company, we left.

I received a phone call while my wife and I were shopping. Mr. ** began speaking in a business-like fashion, but the conversation got nowhere and it disintegrated to combative. Mr. ** was rude and insistent that nothing would be done. Mr. ** his records indicated I booked the hotel room on 4/26 at 11 PM. I assured him I did not. He was insistent.

I called Booking.com. I asked the representative what date and time it was when I booked the appointment. The representative said her records indicated it was on 4/27/19 at 6:30 AM. I asked if she could stay online so I could share this information. At 4:30 PM, I asked my wife to drive me to the hotel where I could speak in person to the General Manager. As soon as I entered, I was approached by the General Manager. **. ** asked me to leave the property immediately. I advised ** I was booked 4/27/19 at 6:30. It did not seem to matter.

My wife was parked in the garage. I texted her to come back and get me. I never heard from her. Mr. ** continued to accuse me of being disruptive. I told him it was not disruptive because I was explaining to him a discrepancy that could be easily resolved. ** said it was their policy to not refund the money and referred the charge as a "no show" fee (which was exactly the same price as I accepted for the cost of a hotel stay). I called the police to register a complaint. I advised ** he was committing theft through illegal taking and fraud. I waited for my wife to return and to meet the police. At this time I was outside and my wife pulled up across the street.

Two police officers arrived at approximately 5 PM. Mr. ** met them before me. I have a cane, so I waited until he was done. Then I approached the officers and told them I was the person who called in the report. They took the information. They advised me the General Manager said I was not trespassing and had to go. I told them I was waiting to speak to them and my wife was about to pick me up. The officers advised me to call the Better Business Bureau and complain to the Intercontinental Corporate Office.

My wife drove me off the property. I called the Intercontinental Hotel Corporate offices. I was dropped on one call. I called back and was placed on hold. I told the representative what happened. She said she had to put me in touch with the correct department. After waiting 14 and a half minutes, our phone call disconnected again. I immediately called back. I spoke to the representative and she told me to wait on hold. After 7 minutes I was told someone would call me back. It is now 7:16, and no one has returned the call.

Original review: April 22, 2019

IHG rewards points are a false advertisement. I have been given the false promise from three different reps that redirect me to someone else when I try to claim my points. They habitually redirect the issue with promises and no action (booking the rewards nights).

Original review: April 16, 2019

IHG rewards is a SCAM!!! I have stayed numerous times at their hotels and I get ZERO point every time. My family and I stayed at the Intercontinental hotel in Guatemala city for 18 nights and I got NOTHING on my rewards. SHAME ON YOU IHG FOR RUNNING SUCH A SCAM!!!!

Original review: April 15, 2019

My credit card was used on IHG points. I am not a member. I called to inquire and the next thing I know, the guy I was talking to was talking about buying Cokes at Walmart and managing 5000 hotels. When I told him he was not really helping and I would be calling my bank, he said yes, do that because he can't help me. Apparently my card number was used on some "package". The Coke comment was to explain to me what a package is. It was the weirdest call I've experienced in a long time. I'm not a member of IHG. Someone fraudulently used my card. I could only provide the information on my bank statement, and the guy was frustrated that I didn't tell him specifically what I bought. He also questioned where I got their phone number (Um, Google). It was surreal. Good luck to anyone else who has to deal with him. He gave me the name of John and said he was the manager. Sure thing, John.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I just spent the last 32 minutes (majority of which were on hold) about IHG auto booking me to another hotel and not offering refunds. I booked through Staybridge Suites website to make sure I got the correct room/location. After I booked, put down deposit, and confirmed I received an email that they had scheduled me to the Candlewood Suites across town. ALL they did for me is cancel the reservation at Candlewood and tell me the price had increased (seems strange since it had been 10 minutes since I booked) and they were out of hotels unless I wanted to pay $75 more per night and get a suite. After 32 minutes she transferred me to a completely different person and that girl said she couldn't help and hung up on me!

I was polite (yes ma'am etc.) and explained the situation in full, but I've NEVER, EVER, EVER experienced such poor customer service! If I were management (and I am a manager) I would've comped the suite at the regular price for a customer, or offered an extra night - I don't know something!! Especially if they were a paying, polite, REWARDS member. So, now I'm without a room completely and I can't get back to the girl that was "helping" me or talk to management. And finding a way to actually contact them is impossible. Website just continues to direct you somewhere else. If I could give them a zero I wouldn't even hesitate. I just can't get over this.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I regret signing up for the high-interest credit card through IHG and Chase Visa. I have an exceptional credit rating and was told I would receive the lowest rate possible. They did not keep their word and if I cancel my account I lose all the points and free nights I have earned EVEN though my yearly card membership is paid through December 2019. A very short-sided move on their part considering how much my wife and I charge and travel.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Like numerous others I also had my points stolen. When I called customer service (numerous) and talked to various employees and was told the same thing over and over again that I had been notified by email 90, 60, 30 prior to my points expiring. I told the representatives that I NEVER received any notification and they kept insisting that I had and that my points would not be restored. But they would sign me up to get future notifications. Hmmm thought you had already notified me. So what would be the use now. You should have done that according to your 90, 60, 30 months according to you.

You’ve already stolen my points so that won’t be necessary because I will not be staying in any of your establishments ever again! I have been a member since 1998 and had a lot of point up in the hundred thousands but don’t know the exact number but I have ZERO now. Worst company ever and their customer is terrible. They care nothing about their loyal customers and are horrible to deal with. Take it from me and everyone else who has left a comment about their points been taken. Find another hotel rewards program that cares about their customer. If anyone is willing to get a class action suit against IHG I am all in. SCAM OF A COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

IHG Disloyal with Loyalty Program - I've been seething at IHG for their ultimate pettiness. I'm echoing my experience with their horrible customer service with the 2/9 review from Texas. IHG cancelled my over 10000 points for a technicality. I usually use government rates, but the Entertainment Book rate was a bit cheaper (minor difference). This stay was to satisfy my activity requirement for 12 months. I changed to this hotel to keep my active status. After they canceled my accumulated points, after going through hoops up the chain to corporate, here is part of their response:

"Greetings from IHG Rewards Club Service Center! I truly regret that we are unable to restore the points that expired... Moreover, we have reviewed your stay on 17 November 2016 and our records show that the stay was booked under Entertainment Card rate. Because of this particular reduced room rate, the stay isn’t eligible for points. You can learn more about this policy in Section 11 of our Terms and Conditions... We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you as we value your patronage. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact the IHG Rewards Club Service Center again." I'd give negative 5 if I could. They're horrible for customer service. I will never stay at their brand again! And (apparently) I'm sure they don't care. I'm a proud loyalty customer of both Hilton and Marriott, who care about their customers!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

$1,000 in charges against my credit card in one day across 6 bookings on 17 Jan 2019. No customer care. Transferred me 6 times to different operators and I ended back at the start. All obviously offshore in Asia with poor English. I mentioned the word 'fraud' then was again transferred to an area I had previously spoken with. All of a sudden there was a dialogue of not being able to hear and hung up. This is a scammer company utilizing tactics of frustrating customers with poor communications when caught. Don't even think about going near them.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

These jerks cancelled my 19000 points for no reason. They say they are allowed to since there was no activity for 12 months. They say they sent notice, but I don't recall it & they can't prove it. This is truly bad. What a sorry program. I could have stayed in much nicer facilities as part of my employment. The only reason I stayed in the Holiday Inn is because of this program. Take my word & stay elsewhere, some place nice and honest. I'd give negative 5 if I could.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

They sold to me a few days staying in Las Vegas. I gave them all the information (that I only would stay 1 day and leave early next morning). They said no issue and I bought this deal. When I made the final booking (confirming the date), they suddenly said not possible to do the tour on arrival day. I wanted to cancel as I told upfront but they said: cancellation policy is no refund. I really think they sold me something which doesn't apply for me (and I gave them all the information). So will never ever book again with IHG, they lost a good customer.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I got suckered into an upsell with this seemingly disreputable company when calling to confirm reservations for the Holiday Inn Express in Encinitas/Cardiff. When I called and confirmed, the person on the phone transferred me to some off shore call center selling cheap vacations at other properties this conglomerate apparently owns. It was only toward the end of the call that they mentioned the entire thing was predicated on a time share pitch. I kept saying I need to see the details before I hand over a credit card, but they put on a nice high pressure, now or never pitch. Not the type of situation I would ever imagine myself to be in when associated with Holiday Inn, a brand I had always thought of as above board. I talked myself into it anyway, or let them do that and since it was only $200 for a 4 night stay, I just figured I would muddle through a stupid time share pitch and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Then, when the only confirmation I got from them was that they had charged my card, with no details about the trip, the room, the property, rules and restrictions etc. is when I decided to cancel. I called back and got bounced all around their stupid call center, when finally someone named Victoria (I think) got on the phone to tell me that there are no refunds. I live in California, where there is a definitive rule where people can change their minds about purchases like this within a certain amount of time, and I was within that time frame. She still refused and became pretty rude and obstinate. At this point, I am filing a formal complaint with the state, going to the bank to put in for a charge back, and researching this company so that I never again have to touch any business that www.ihg.com is associated with.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I completed in good faith a reservation at a IHG property several months prior to which was confirmed via email and updated to my Rewards Account. Prior to arrival at the hotel I noticed my confirmed reservation had been altered. The rates had been increased considerably. I contacted the hotel and management at IHG. They admitted in writing to inflating the rates but offered no resolution or explanation. This is an appalling situation to inflict on a loyal supporter especially with no communication regarding the inflated rates. I cancelled the reservation along with my IHG account. This is a warning to anyone considering an IHG branded property.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Booked a room using points through IHG program. We never checked in, so rather than keeping the points they charged my credit card for the entire room. Crooks. They use IHG credit card to maintain their unauthorized charging of your card.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I called IHG on 11/22 to inform them that my account had been fraudulently used in China. I knew this because I received a survey for my stay, which was obviously not my stay. The thieves stole my points/reward night and charged money to my associated charge card. First question, when you have never used your rewards internationally after about 10 years of membership, would that not raise a big red flag? Where are the security checks? After my calls to IHG, I did not feel they were taking ownership of this issue. They froze my rewards account and Chase stopped my credit card. However, the violators of my identity were still able to stay using my rewards account for a night subsequent to my fraud notification.

IHG can not give me an answer as to how that happened and said they will not be able to even after the investigation is completed, as their security department does not disclose that information. This is my privacy that has been violated and you can tell me that I am not privy to how that happened? From a privacy/procedure perspective, something is very wrong here. Who is the Chief Security Officer at IHG?

Intercontinental Hotels Company Information