1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 14, 2018

78 Intercontinental Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 14, 2018

I stayed at one of the IHG hotels for one night. Since then I have been receiving spam emails from IGH Rewards Club, usually more than one a week. The link to unsubscribe does not function. I never had an interest in or gave permission to be enrolled in this "club." I finally had to call the 888 number to "cancel" something to which I never subscribed. The person who answered the phone was very friendly and she said that I will lose all my points if I un-enroll. That doesn't matter because, in the first place I never joined, and because I will never stay in an IHG property again because of this invasive and sneaky marketing tactic.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I signed up for the rewards program in 2010 and the points were never supposed to expire. I have a business trip coming up and I needed to use my points that I had accumulated from a 3.5 month stay. When I tried to redeem them, their policy had changed and my points had expired. I checked my email and the messages on the online account and never received any communication that my points would now expire.

I have searched all forms of supposed communication several ways. Customer service management only repeated the same lines over and over again and refused to do anything to accommodate my lost points. Their tone became more rude as I was talked over, and talked to me like I had no legitimate claim to these points, even though I had never received any notification at all of the points expiring. If I ever had been notified, I would have dropped the issue and moved on, although disappointed. I will never stay at a hotel in this group again.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have acquired well over 500,000 IHG (formerly Priority Club) points over years of domestic and international travel. I checked the balance on June 26, 2017 and it was a little over 439,000 points. I tried to check the balance again on November 4, 2017 and was directed to get a new PIN. When the new PIN arrived via EMAIL, my balance was still 439,000. My take-away from this is that IHG had/has my valid email address on file.

On March 28, 2018, I checked my balance again and found it was ZERO. I called the listed number for Customer Support (sic) and reached Jenny (sic) in the Philippines. I asked to be transferred to someone in the US because her English was atrocious, but to no avail. I spoke with her Supervisor, April (sic), who told me that an auto email had been sent to me telling me of the impending clawing back due to account inactivity. I told her that I received no such email. Did she have proof that it went out and/or that I received it?

I told her that I was be stupid to ignore such an email alert, since I have responded to other such alerts sent by other hotel chains due to inactivity - that it is not logical that I would allow 439,000 pts to evaporate without taking any action. I asked to speak to someone in authority, but unfortunately, the non-empathetic April was "it". I will pursue all legal options to regain my confiscated points. IS THERE AN APPETITE FOR CLASS ACTION HERE? I am certain that there are hundreds or thousands of others in our same situation. Together, we could stand a chance.

Original review: April 5, 2018

It was our ten year wedding anniversary and our room at the InterContinental Paris Le Grande was booked months in advance. I had read great things about this hotel and wanted to give my wife a great experience during our first trip to Paris. I live about a third of my life in IHG hotels so I've racked up a bunch of points and am a Spire Elite Rewards member. Unfortunately none of that mattered. We had gone up to Belgium to stay for a few days and were preparing to come down to Paris and stay at the Le Grand. The day before we were to arrive and check in, I got an email saying my reservation had been cancelled. What?

IHG customer service was unfortunately of no help at all nor was this hotel. It turned out that there wasn't any availability anywhere in Paris for these nights which must have been the reason for our mysterious cancellation. Obviously this hotel had a slightly more profitable week by booting us, but that was a pretty brutal experience to have happen on your anniversary. As such, I will NEVER spend another dime in an IHG hotel again. And if they'll do that to their highest level of rewards members, they'll do it to anyone who's not the crown prince of Morocco.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I had a bunch of points with IHG rewards. I was told my points never expire. Today I called in to book my room using my points and they told me my points expired. They never contacted me to warn me my points were expiring. They had horrible customer service and communication. Told me I was SOL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intercontinental Hotels?

Original review: April 4, 2018

I was transferred to IHG sales rep on the phone after reserving a weekend away at a Holiday Inn in Red Deer, Alberta back in September 2017. The rep I spoke with told me I was entitled to a “Deeply discounted VIP package” to an IHG property anywhere in the U.S. I have not yet booked my vacation package. Here is my issue: I will not be forced to book a trip within a time constraint and I told this to the IHG Rep (J. **) back in September 2017 via phone conversation (mistake #1).

J. ** indicated to me that he would leave the trip offer open ended which was obviously a lie because the email I received after our phone conversation indicated the trip had to be booked within 12 months. I am demanding a refund for the charge to my Mastercard now. But now IHG is purposely wasting my time by continuously transferring my claim between reps so that by the time this issue gets resolved the 12 month expiry date will have lapsed. These people should be arrested!! I will no longer be an IHG customer!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Is there any appetite for filing a CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT against these **? Just like others, my points (117,000 Points - the equivalency of 4 or 5 nights) automatically expired due to inactivity... BUT the fine print (and even the large print) said points do not expire, when I signed up for the rewards program. They purportedly emailed me of the upcoming change to their Terms and Conditions. Oh yeah? I’m still looking for that email. You'd think they’d at least grandfather points accumulated, but they’d rather piss off frequent customers. Any lawyers out there?

Original review: March 11, 2018

When I went to use my reward points I was sadly disappointed. Points do not get you rooms, they get you small discounts on rooms, if they are even accepted. Ex: 20,000 points will get you a $18 discount for one night. Also, many (all) hotels limit the rooms types. Can't use points for a room upgrade, or even just 2 beds instead of one. It's a sad rewards program.

Original review: March 8, 2018

IHG's Rewards Program changed and they claim to have sent out email to members of a program change. I (and many, many others - just check the internet) NEVER received such email. They STOLE 55,000 rewards points from me and refuse to return. IN MY OPINION, what a horribly dishonest company. Travelers should know what type organization they are dealing with - and vote AGAINST them by... NOT BOOKING ROOMS TO SEND A MESSAGE. Support HONEST organizations, not tricky, deceitful ones.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Very dissatisfied with the experience of Intercontinental Hotels (corporate of Holiday Inn). We just experienced the IHG Reward Club Scam! Disgusting and frustrating, this large corporation DELETES accumulated points from accounts intentionally and without written notification. When the IHG Reward Points are deleted, it is a corporate savings, but a LOSS to their customer. We paid $25 in the 1980's to join Holiday Inn Priority Club. We were told that our points would NEVER expire! We should have been "grandfathered in" when there were any changes to the rewards program because we PAID to be a member and have accumulated points for many years.

We used points for a free night in 2015 in Clarksville, Arkansas. We still had a sizeable balance of points. TODAY my balance on my Rewards account is ZERO. WHY "steal" points from your customers? I phoned and spoke to a supervisor in customer service who refused to restore these points although her search of the history of our account revealed this balance. IHG thinks they have won this battle, but they have LOST the war. SAD, MONEY-GRABBING CORPORATION with NO CONCERN for LOYAL LONGTIME CUSTOMERS!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

While I saw myself alone, experiencing what I call the IHG Reward Club scam, I now learned that this has gone on since at least 5 years! Amazing and more frustrating, such a large corporation doesn't care to solve the situation or... is it possible that such a scam is intentional? After all, if the IHG Reward Points do disappear... It could be just corporate saving. I have been a Crowne Plaza customer for a long time, enjoyed all hotels throughout the Middle East until I couldn't access my account (Dec. 12th, 2017). During subsequent message with Kimberley, Laine, Carlo, Marieson, Daniel, Jamee and Jhoanna, all Reward Club Supervisor, I was told that my account is frozen, my account is transferred to the "Special Team". One other time it was transferred to the "Fraud Department".

Indeed, they all wished me a nice day and they all wish me to see me again in an IHG hotel... but no other info except that “We will let you know…” So, be aware. Be it intentional or accidental, this disappearance is fully of the IHG Reward Club responsibility and I am amazed of the lack of professionalism at acting and settling this matter and IHG isn't really interested to solve this! In the meantime, I have re-activated my Carlson Club account (Radisson hotel chain). So far, they don't lose their customer reward points.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

First off Chase/IHG offered IHG Mastercard and points that guaranteed Spire Elite for life during the promotion...never happened. I was Spire Elite for only 1 year and removed from that status without notification. When I called IHG I was told to refer to Chase, who told me to refer back to IHG...waste of time. IHG then ran accelerate program to help you earn points towards promotions and status...stays, etc. Only to find out that despite my points level going up each tier showing how much was needed to get back to Spire Elite, after I completed the program and earned enough points according to the site, I was not upgraded to Spire Elite and when I contacted IHG I was then told bonus points don't go towards status which is not what it showed on my log in.

Bunch of bull malarkey... Would not recommend this program as they change the points programs and don't honor the programs the way they are advertised to accomplish advancements. The accelerate program does nothing except make you spend more money with the chain and the only thing you can get is a free night...points will not help you gain status towards your next level and the way they advertise it is that it will help you advance faster. I fell for it. I hope others do not.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

IHG hotel reward program is cheating. I am an IHG hotel reward member, I have quite lot of points left, I stayed the hotel 12/28/2016, and 11/28-12/01 /2017, but my points have been expired (IHG says points will be expired 12 months if no activity). I called them, my non-activity period is 11 months, less than 12 months. Then, they said I booked the hotel on 11/2016 (although I stayed on 12/28/2016). They do not consider staying hotel as an effective activity.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

When I needed to change the location of my Holiday Inn abroad, I was unknowingly charged for both locations. I couldn't contact the hotel directly because I do not speak the local language. When I contacted IHG I was harassed and disrespected, and they were not able to refund this unverified charge. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I called to see if I had enough points for a free room and to make a hotel reservation. I was told that I would be able to stay 2 nights at Holiday Inn Express for $115 + tax + 15,000 points. I clarified verbally that one night was free, the other was $115 + tax. She answered: "Yes!" She also said I could cancel by 6:00 the evening before without penalty. A few days later I saw that my credit card was charged for $230. I called to check on it and was told: "No, it is $230 and $30,000 points." This didn't save me a thing and used all my points! Since this was a week before my reservation, I decided to cancel. I was then told I could not get my money back and they would just give me points.

NOT ACCEPTABLE! After a very LONG time on the phone I finally got them to cancel and refund my money but lose my points - against their policy. Policy or not, their representative gave me false information on which I made my choice. They did not honor their word and fought to keep MY money! After being a platinum member for many years I am now switching to another hotel chain.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This is the worst service ever. I spoke with 6 different people about my reservation that was put under someone else (**) when supposedly the rep remind you. The 5th rep was transferring my call to a supervisor Ms.** who didn't speak clear English. Couldn't help nor fix the problem from the error. I was put on hold again to speak with another manager. I am so over IHG. We had problem during our summer vacation with reservation and now again the same issue.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Don't ever stay with any of the hotels operated by this horrible conglomerate!! They made changes to their rewards in Jan 2017 and never communicated with me even after I had purchased more points in order to keep the ones I already had. Spoke to customer service (Mimi) and she had no compassion as they stole my money!! I of course canceled my account and will never stay with them again. I would give them negative stars if I could!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Just went to visit daughter in Washington state October 5-8th. This was for family weekend. Knowing that hotels would sellout I booked my room at the end of August, 2 months prior. I did this to ensure a room and a good price. The day we arrived, we were arriving very late. I called the hotel early afternoon and said our flight doesn't get in until 11:30 pm we'll probably be at the hotel at 12:30 a.m. When we arrived they had given away our room and said it was their policy to do first come first serve (as far as physically arriving, even though we had booked 2 months in advance and called them about a late check in).

They sent us to a hotel across the street and said they would pay for the first night. The other hotel after the first night was about double cost per night than what I had booked, not to mention horrible beds. Anyway, when we were done with our visit, I received an email to do a mobile checkout for my stay at Holiday Inn! I called the customer service whom told me I was a no show! Then they put me on hold to call the manager to make sure I wasn't a no show. I do not trust they didn't charge my card. I'm going to double check. I will never stay at another IHG/Holiday Inn hotel again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I wanted to use my points which I paid cash for to book several nights at a hotel. I was told there are rooms available but I can only use my points for one night. So if I have points which I paid for which is almost like cash, why can't I use them. If I didn't belong to IHG I could just use cash and book the rooms I wanted. So why am I in a club, because dollar for dollar there is no advantage? IHG could not help and did not offer me any compensation.

I have been a club member for several years now and I am finding that there is no advantage to joining this club. If you use cash there is more availability and you are paying the same amount if you do a comparison, and there are no yearly fees. Do yourself a favor. Don’t join this club. The salesperson didn’t tell us all the details. He made us understand we could use it at any hotel which you can’t. IHG just adds a whole another layer of confusion which you do not need. I have found it easier just to book the hotel using Expedia or call the hotel directly and this applies to cruises as well.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have repeatedly tried to contact the hotel to claim a refund for a booking at the hotel. This trip was canceled a couple of days before Irma struck!!! The hotel has taken 1300$ expecting me to risk my life in a storm that everyone else was desperately trying to avoid. Can anyone help???

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Having been a member of the Priority Club since 1988, I was shocked when I found my points balance went from 213,000 to 0. I have lost points with other clubs in the past, but have always been notified by email or letter. Called the rewards center and was told that I was notified through email that these points were in jeopardy in 2016. Checked every email folder back to 2014... No email in any folder. I asked them for a copy of the email they sent... They don't have a copy.

Escalated to the supervisor, no help. Escalated to the manager. Told me that it was not my fault for not checking the website. I have been retired 3 years and am just now starting to travel again. I told them I log in to the website when I need to book something, not to check my points. Called their corporate office and was more politely that it was my fault for not logging in to my website. 30 years of staying at Holiday Inns and I have no point after receiving no notification. I call that theft.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

This company uses lots of tactics to get your money. They outsource customer service to India and other country putting at risk US citizens and giving them the worse customer service possible. I was a member and dropped their membership due to inaccurate charges in my Chase Account. I had to cancel the Chase credit card also since they couldn't do anything for me either. In the future I will not do any business with any of their hotel chain. These are scammers and the US government has no jurisdiction. BUYER BEWARE! Do business with American companies that when you call customer service you speak to someone in the States. Not people in the other part of the world.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

My story is so close to K. E. of Daytona posted 2 months ago. I too worked years traveling the road, living in hotels, saving until retirement. It was one perk I had for not having the comforts of home, missing out on so much. Then I became very sick, I lost my job. My son did not die (I cannot even imagine that poor man's grief), instead I was scheduled for a craniotomy. I lost a year of my life. When I saw that my point balance was zero, I thought there was some mistake. I called, spoke to a woman in another country with poor English with many pauses, just as K.E. described. She could promise me nothing, yet said she would pass my information on. As I hung up I could tell she said that to appease me. I was getting nowhere again today, that's when I decided to look at this site. So glad I did. I will stop pursuing now. Thanks to everyone who took the time to post. My heart goes out to those who also lost their points, especially you K.E.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I have lost 107695 points without any notice. My points expired November 2016 when I made a transaction in September 2016 on their website and purchased 1000 points to keep my account active. And also provided them the proof of my purchase still they don't honor my points back into my account. I lost all my 107695 points accumulated from my past stay. I wish they are little flexible in reviewing the proof and consider to post my points back into my account. I made couple of phone calls and requested but no use. Customer support is terrible.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I bought 120000 points for my younger brother by paying around 600 US dollars so as to join us when we toured with our mother. However, for various reason, no such trip could be materialized. Without any reminder, they forfeited all the points from the account of my brother. I argued with them but in vain. John, the supposed Customer Relation Specialist Manager, refused to disclose his full name, title over the phone and refused to write me a formal letter stating his rejection to give my brother money or points. He even claimed that he did not know how to write and cut off the line during our conversation.

I was so angry that I wrote to the chairman of IHG, Mr. Keith Barr. Imagine what happen? He simply ignored my email and gave me no reply, let alone an acknowledgment email. Definitely, I have given up to get back the money and I will use up all the points as far as possible and will not book this hotel group. It is totally terrible for a company who simply ignore the customer if he consider you are too small to pay note to.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I booked a hotel through IHG for 2 nights, knowing that Orbitz had cheaper rates. I was lured in by the Best Rate Guarantee advertised on the website. I read all the fine print and was certain I would receive the 1st night free because Orbitz had cheaper rates. I will never fall for this trap again. I was contacted by IHG AFTER rates had gone up with other companies. I had a time stamped screenshot of Orbitz's rate at the time of my purchase, but they will not honor it. IHG, you might have won the battle, but you have lost the war. Go ahead and cancel my rewards club membership. I will never stay at an IHG hotel again and will encourage my clients to do the same. Someone better warn the poor IHG hotel I booked through this mess to have the place spotless or photos will be posted with my review. This will be my last IHG hotel stay.

Original review: July 12, 2017 I am a semi-retired business traveler, and I have been a Priority Club member since the 1980s. I have accumulated approximately 360,000 points over the years. Like other writers on this site, I, too, was cheated points from their "fast track" to elite status promotions. The last time that I fell for this scam was 2015, and when I was denied my status as promised, I decided that I had had enough. I remember trying in vain to find a contact person for Priority rewards within the organization, but learned quickly that when I called their "headquarters" in Atlanta, I was informed that there was no way to speak to anyone about my concern.

Fast forward to last week. I decided that the time had come to take a short vacation, and I went online to look at hotels in the area I had chosen. Imagine my utter shock when I saw that my points balance was 0.

I called to inquire, and was connected to a call center in the Philippines. I stated my concern to the gentleman who answered the call, and he informed me that my points were purged due to no activity since 6/26/2016. I sadly explained to him that my 38 year old son had died last July 11th, and that I have literally been in a grief mode ever since. I added that I had gone from full-time to part-time work due to the stress level brought on by the grief, and begged him to reconsider and/or to escalate my request to his manager. He put me on hold and a few minutes later, his manager answered.

She was rather challenging to understand, so after a few times of asking her to repeat her responses, I asked if there was someone in the United States to whom I could speak. She said (and I quote), "We are a global company." I told her that I was aware, but that I was trying to be proactive in trying to find someone who would understand my circumstances. This was after I had to ask her about 3 times if she was still on the line. She would go silent for several seconds. I asked her to please reconsider, adding that I was ready to travel again. She flatly said, "No. We make no exceptions." I even asked if I could forward his death certificate as proof, which was painful for me.

These points were like money in the bank. I paid dearly for the privilege of having them by staying many, many nights, and even trying to accelerate my status on several occasions after 2013. I had previously been a road warrior, but went to work for a Fortune 10 company as a telecommuter. I considered the points part of my retirement, so to speak. Yesterday marked one year without my son. I decided that I would at least empower myself to help others; unfortunately most travelers don't read the "fine print" stating that if you lose status, you lose the points.

Needless to say, I will never stay in another IHG property as long as I live. Conversely, Hilton Honors offered to let me retain my status this year, even without the required number of stays, in light of my circumstances. Thank you for taking the time to read this. If I can help one person, this time was well spent. As I read the other complaints, I keep thinking, "Class Action." They just don't care.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I was repeatedly targeted for their Rewards program promotions for the last 4-5 years; but I was cheated every time. The latest was with their so-called Accelerate promotion (still running till 8/31/2017): When I finished my stays, I once again did not get the promised Rewards points. This happened even with the fact that I called their Rewards program customer service ahead of time and confirmed/documented in their system before my hotel stays their promise of the rewards, and then with my several phone calls after my stays. Their excuse of not giving me the full points after my stay, even though they documented their promise before my stay in their system and provided me case number, are: 1. They now claim their representative made mistake for the promise and that I had to stay with Holiday Inn holidays, although the promotion is called IHG Acceleration. Also, there is nowhere in their promotion stating it has to be Holiday Inn hotels.

They told me this does not include for example Holiday Inn Express... Imagine who on earth could figure that out?! 2. All representatives confirmed that I should still receive Corporate Account Bonus, which I did not receive it. The last representative I talked to (Jessie, employee ID **; with heavy accent from remote place), outright lied that my stays did not qualify. The fact is that I was using my corporate travel portal and booked with my corporate rate. I even have the confirmation letter in front of me showing it was my corporate rate! This was the 3rd time I gave IHG a try and it is the last time.

My previous experience with them was beginning of year with another promotion. After my stays for that time, they denied the rewards stating that although everything was according to their rule, I made the reservation 1 day before their rule - Note: their fine print of when people should make reservations; not just the actual stay dates, and I only made the reservation 1 SINGLE day before that defined period! When I called IHG customer services/rewards, I was asked to hold on for long time and eventually the line went to death every time when I asked to talk to a supervisor. IHG business will NOT last long by their bad behavior and their repeated cheating practice. They repeatedly tried to ask me using their hotels but repeatedly cheated me. I would not use any IHG hotel from now on for sure. I would highly alert any people about their cheating practices.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I am a Spire Elite Member of IHG and I stay week after week with them. I had used their rewards redemption program to order a $200 gift card on February 19th, 2017 spending 77,000 points. I was sent an Order Confirmation number that I would get the order within 10 business days and I did receive it within the time frame mentioned. Now this is where it all started. The card that was delivered to me on time and I had not used the card for a week as I was travelling. I got a call from rewards redemption and they told me they got a bad batch from Amazon and that they wanted me to check if my card was OK or if mine was used as well as the card they sent me was apparently from the bad batch they received. When I tried to add the card to my Amazon account, it said it was already used and that I could not use it. I called IHG and they said that they were going to ship out a new card to me a week from then.

It has been over three months and after following up at least 15 times, they still have not delivered the gift card to me, nor are they giving me back my points. Finally last week I got a call from an agent saying that my card has been shipped and she promised me that I would get it by Saturday last week. I still have not received the card (as expected). I called customer service again and was again put on hold for 30 mins (as always) and was told that they would send me an e-certificate of the gift card and that they were making a special request to have it sent to me over email by mid day. It's EOD and all I've received so far is that they are reviewing my request again for the 15th time.

All of sudden I happened to check my IHG app and I noticed that my 77000 points were refunded to me without any notice of what happened on the status of my Amazon card - UNPROFESSIONAL! They ideally should have called me and informed me of the status. Then the very same day in the evening, they again took away 75,000 points for the same gift card and FINALLY sent me an eCertificate of the gift card (Which I am yet to check if it is valid). They also refunded 2000 points to my account as an apology I guess for all the phone calls and time that I spent trying to get my points or the Amazon card. This is extremely poor service and unprofessional of IHG. If they treat their Spire Elite member this way, I can only imagine what regular customers without a membership would have to go through. Extremely disappointed and thinking about changing loyalty.

Original review: April 28, 2017

My rewards account (points) was canceled without official notice. Most of these points were from the Holiday Inn Priority account. These points (38,412) were amassed over a number of years. When I went to the rewards account to check its status and to use it, no points were on the account. I called IHG rewards and asked where are these points, I was told they were taken away for inactivity. I was told IHG sent me four emails to warn me of the the inactivity and the points would disappear. I never received these emails or any written notice. Other hotel chains (Hilton, Hyatt, etc.) warn you in writing of inactivity. I wanted to have these points reinstated. The rewards representative told me no. She gave me the corporate Kool Aid speech.

Then I proceeded to call the Customer Relations US IHG office in Atlanta but got IHG Utah. I asked for a supervisor, got one and then explained the issue. Once again I was given the corporate kool aid speech and got impression she could care less. I recently retired and plan to do a lot of traveling. I had planned to use Holiday Inns in most location, but not now. I have used Holiday Inn for decades but when IHG took them over they ruined the franchise. I have scores of associates, friends and relatives but I will discourage them from using any IHG property. By the way, if I had gotten proper notice of the cancellation of points I would have taken care of the issue. I am just a little guy who wants IHG to be fair. IHG has NO customer goodwill.

Intercontinental Hotels Company Information