Intercontinental Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We were quoted a total price upon arrival of $890.00 for 3 nights (it was 2:00 am when checking in). After 2 nights we got locked out of our room! We were told we only had a 2 night stay! After a discussion we were told to go to our room and they would fix it up. Upon checking out we were charged $1550.43 plus 3 parking charges. We were not permitted to speak to the man that checked us in and they called security to escort us out. After calling head office for a week every day and apologies over and over, still no call back and more charges were added to our credit card!!! Scam scam scam!!! And unauthorized charges to our card. Scam scam scam!!! No Intercontinental, stay away!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

As of Nov 19, 2016, we received a complete refund for the unauthorized withdrawal of $249.00 from our debit card. We turned to the Better Business Bureau, and also the TripAdvisor website through their public review process. TripAdvisor struck down my review yesterday after the refund deposited to our account.

Before working with the BBB, we were told by IHG/Holiday Inn Rewards that we could not get a refund once we gave them our credit card number, and it was very difficult to reach them on the phone. They did not return our calls. The only way we were contacted by this company was through BBB and TripAdvisor, so my advice is to carefully document your experience, be professional, and appeal to BBB, ConsumerAffairs, and other online review sites that people consult in order to avoid getting scammed or treated badly (It's also a good idea to pray).

Because we ultimately were able to resolve this to our complete satisfaction within 10 business days, I am giving IHG an extra star. I still do not approve of their aggressive promotional schemes, how difficult it is to reach someone who cares about their customers, or the rude way we were treated on the phone in our efforts to address the unauthorized withdrawal of funds on our own.

It is a very dangerous and unscrupulous position to take that if a credit card number is given over the phone, it implies consent whether or not actual consent was ever given. This is exploiting those less fortunate knowing they will not have the means or energy to expend on legal fees, etc. These are inexcusable and unethical practices for a reputable business like Holiday Inn to resort to. Are they desperate?

For these reasons I am considering whether or not I should revoke my membership in IHG's Rewards Program through Holiday Inn after this encounter because of the bitter taste left behind. I hope they will revise their business practices and stop scheming and taking advantage of their own customer base.

Shannon of Argyle, IA on

Original Review

I was offered a Myrtle Beach Vacation "Deal" as a promotion AFTER booking a room with Holiday Inn Express in Fort Dodge, Iowa for last weekend. I was asked if I'd be interested in a "special promotion." My instincts said not to do it, but the booking agent was nice so I agreed to listen. It sounded like a good deal because the entire cost of the stay would be reimbursed, I was told, through a rebate process after staying in the hotel. The reason for the offer was to evaluate their new hotel property, they said. They told me I had to pay just $49 to hold my offer and pay the rest upon arrival.

I asked, "if I agree and my husband tells me he doesn't want this, can I get a full refund on the charge to my credit card?" The lady flat out lied to me and said, "YES!" I reconfirmed this twice with her that I could get a refund if we changed our minds before agreeing to the $49.00. So I gave my credit card number. I thought this was a reputable entity because I thought it was Holiday Inn, which I trusted. I did not know they transferred me to a different company that was untrustworthy. I would not have given my credit card number to a agency that was an unknown to me.

I've never heard of IHG before this but now I know they manage Holiday Inn Express Rewards Program and also any Customer Care issues. I learned today that there is no Holiday Inn Headquarters. They are all individual franchises owned by different persons. IHG must have been contracted to handle Holiday Inn Express Customer Service and Promotions it seems. IHG manages many hotels internationally and you will never speak to an American on the phone when you call them.

When this agent confirmed the agreement terms she said $249 would be deducted from my credit card and I said "NO!" I told her I did not agree to the terms; that I misunderstood the offer; I thought it was only $49 and we could NOT afford $249 and I told her not to charge my card! She said "OKAY!" and we hung up. I figured that it was over with but NO it was not!

Then we learned a few days later IHG went ahead and charged my card!!! I called IHG's toll free number and asked to speak to a supervisor. The lady said there were none available but took my name & number and said they would call me back. They still haven't. Meanwhile our account is so low we might bounce our rent check! We are absolutely in panic mode! My husband finally reached IHG from work (they have yet to call ME back after leaving my name & number). They told my husband that by giving my credit card number I agreed to the deal! This is absolutely a lie! What is this that we cannot back out and refuse a deal & change our minds WHILE ON THE PHONE discussing the deal?!?!

Mind you, our bank will not help at all! They say it's a matter of he said-she said. This is also backwards and wrong that the banks are apparently in collusion to allow these scams to continue without reprisal! What are we to do? We've absolutely been scammed by Holiday Inn's Rewards Card agency, IHG! We have been robbed. They lied to us and stole money from our account and who will help us?

It is a Saturday so I have to wait until Monday to try to reach the owners of Fort Dodge Holiday Inn. There is no Holiday Inns Headquarters. They are all under IHG but owned as franchises. The Fort Dodge Holiday Inn is owned by the Lamont Brothers. I intend to appeal to them to lobby on our behalf to get this money refunded in full. If they cannot, we will inform our employer that has an agreement with Holiday Inn Express Fort Dodge of the unscrupulous business practices of this hotel chain and file our official complaint and the outcome. If this cannot be resolved that way, we will also file a formal complaint with the Iowa Attorney General and the BBB against Holiday Inn Fort Dodge.

If anyone from IHG is reading this complaint and has the power to act on our behalf, we demand a full refund of the $249 charge to our credit card that we absolutely did not agree to or authorize. Also, they are NOT authorized to withdraw any further funds from our account! The VIP guest number is **. These business' unscrupulous practices which are nothing less than robbery must be stopped! We did not get a receipt since we did not authorize this.

From start to finish, my experience was poor. While the room was nice, the customer service at the front desk was very poor - almost apathetic. I had arrived around 5:30 pm after traveling all day and even though I reserved my room almost a month in advance, I was told on arrival that there were no rooms available. The solution to this was to have a complimentary drink at the hotel bar while they figured something out. After TWO hours, a room was found.

Later during my stay, the housekeeping staff left my door open after they were done cleaning. Again, the solution was to provide a free drink. The service at the bar was abysmal. Even though there were only a few people in the lounge, it took 15 minutes for a drink and even longer for food. I also had work colleagues who experienced no rooms available upon check in, people trying to get into their room at 1am stating loudly from outside the door that the hotel had given away their room. Overall, my experience was very poor. I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

I made reservations at a Holiday Inn in East Texas - have stayed there several times before during a site survey. I have been a longtime member of the IHG rewards program. The survey was cancelled over two weeks before the scheduled stay, and I went online and cancelled the reservation. Well, it turns out that I apparently signed up for a prepaid room, although I have never done that before and don't use those rates at all because of the risk. Nothing during the cancellation process specifically indicated that I would incur a charge upon cancelling. The cancellation went through. I was reviewing my charge bill that I got soon after that, and the charge - $375 for four nights - was still on the bill. I called the hotel, and this is when I was told I had booked a prepaid room, and the charges could not be refunded and the stay couldn't be used later without going through the IHG office.

I called them and was told I had to go through the hotel, the Holiday Inn office couldn't do this, only the local hotel could. So I called back the hotel - mind you this is over a week long period with giving my name to numerous people saying they would call me back. The hotel manager said she was sure only the corporate office could do this, and she'd have to call me back. She promised to do that by 2 pm. Of course 2 pm came and went. I called the hotel back and the manager was gone for the day. I left my name again for her to call me back - no returned call.

I understand that it was apparently my mistake to sign up for a prepaid room, although that was not my intent and I am very careful to ensure I am only reserving rooms that are refundable. Regardless, I figured since I have stayed at this same hotel before, as well as three other team members for the four nights, that we could work out applying this when our site visit was rescheduled. Apparently not. So this Holiday Inn got almost $400 of my money and got to rebook that room as well since they had almost three weeks notice of the cancellation. Won't ever stay in an IHG property again, and I have already cancelled two future hotel stays and booked with another company - and yes, I was very sure these rooms were completely refundable.

Gosh, even airlines let you reschedule a fare you have to cancel, even if it's not refundable, if you pay the fee. Not only do I feel scammed and taken advantage of, but why should I have any customer loyalty to this outfit if they have no time for me after so many years of Rewards membership? No wonder this site is full of all kinds of terrible complaints - this company doesn't care a wit about its customers.

My boss was booked at the Intercontinental in Century City, California mid-August of this year. They are one of the hotels our business contracts with negotiated rates for business stays. Since the Hyatt Regency was under a remodel, so we went with Intercontinental. When I was processing my boss' receipts, we noticed there was a $100.00 difference in the statement he received at the hotel and what was charged to his credit card. It is outrageous that this is an amount that they don't tell the hotel guests about. The very least this company could do is be transparent about this charge and put it on their hotel statement. This is the very basis of dishonest business dealings.

I called the hotel and was told by the front desk clerk, Jessica, that it was a charge for incidentals and it would be returned to his credit card automatically. I waited a week and this amount was not returned to his credit card. I emailed Jessica and called and did not receive a call back. I left a message with the manager of the hotel, Abey, and he never returned my call. Two weeks later, I get an email from Jessica saying she was out of town. OK, I'll give that to her, and she said she would check on that and get back to me. Another week went by and still nothing, and there still wasn't a credit for the $100 made on my boss' card.

After not getting any satisfactory conclusion or refund, I called the corporate office at 770-604-2000. They opened up a ticket, Case No. **, and said they would contact that property and have someone there call me so this could be resolved. I finally got a call from the hotel manager, Abey, only because he was forced to call me because of my complaint. He gave me the runaround about how he was surprised that the $100 hasn't been credited and would call the credit card company to ask them to do this, but that it would take 7-10 business days. He stated that what the credit card company would do is credit back the amount that was charged to his card, and then charge the correct amount. He said this only happens to 1% of the hotel guests. Two weeks later, there still wasn't any activity to his credit card.

I called back customer service after no resolution was reached, and they told me they would cut a check and mail it out, but it would take another 7-10 business days. They were going to mail it directly to my boss' home. After another two weeks, and my boss not receiving the check. I called the corporate office back and went through the drill of choosing customer service, only this time, I was conveniently disconnected after pressing the customer service button (#2). I called back another couple times in disbelief at how rude they are and their cowardice in not handling the complaints they are receiving. Here it is over two months, and my boss is out thankfully only $100. Intercontinental does not care about their guests or resolving complaints.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intercontinental Hotels?

I made a reservation 3 months ago and talked to them on the telephone to make sure it was accurate (3 different occasions). We drove over 5 hours and the reservation still was not right. They talked me into a 90 minute tour of Orange Lake resort in Branson. Looks like Government housing right now. They kept us there for 2 1/2 hours and then did not want to honor the incentives we were promised!! STAY AWAY!!!

Arrived after traveling for 5 hours and find my reservation is not correct. Booked a suite with two double beds and a pullout couch with my IHG points to find there was no suites available nor is there any rooms with a pullout couch because it's against the law in Massachusetts to have 3 beds in a room even though we had a confirmed reservation which stated we had a suite. With or without a pullout couch there were no suites available. Evidently somewhere there was a mix up where they overbooked. My wife and I were irate, we have 2 daughters 18 and 21 and putting 4 adults in a standard room is very tight. That's why I booked a suite and I even called several weeks before to confirm.

The night manager Manal on duty tried to help us but only had a regular room with 2 double beds. She was beside herself because she saw we had a confirmed reservation stating we had a suite with none available. We tried calling IHG to see what they could do or give us some sort of compensation. We had to call 4 times speaking to about 6 different people. They would transfer us to another department to assist us where we were either cut off or the department was closed. This customer service is just unacceptable. We have so called Gold status with IHG and we do pay for it but I guess that doesn't seem to matter to them.

So the first night we had a standard room which was difficult but then the second and third night Manal accommodated us with 2 adjoining rooms with 2 double beds at no extra charge or points. She even threw in 2 complimentary breakfasts for all of us in their restaurant. I guess having gold status did mean something the Holiday Inn Staff. Manal and her staff went above and beyond to help us, but IHG was totally useless and insulting. For Manal and her staff I give 5 stars, for IHG they would get zero stars from me. Thank you Manal and your staff.

I honestly wish I'd had nothing to do with this hotel association. I initially booked a hotel a year ago when I was interviewing for a job. I was transferred unknowingly to someone selling a resort package. They kept hassling me to purchase a package even though I indicated multiple times that I had very little time off with my profession and that most of my friends were in the same profession so it would be difficult to set aside time to go to a resort for 4 nights with 4 people.

Fast forward almost a year later. I still don't have much time off, my friends are occupied and I'm stressed out because I got scammed out of my hard earned money. Speaking with customer service agents just reinforced this message. I was not able to transfer the package to a shorter stay for one person or do anything with the package. I'm out of more than $200 and they're trying to tell me I'll be able to get some money back if I come (with 4 people for 4 nights where they'll likely harass us to make other purchases). If someone offers you a deal that seems too good to be true, it probably is. These guys are scam artists. The worst of the worst.

I let the readers judge by themselves! Here are the facts: Me and my 10 year old boy went swimming at your outdoor swimming pool from around 4 pm to 6:30 pm, August 3rd. When we went out, we were surprised to see that our swimming suit and swimming glass turned green. More important, I got some spots in my body! The pool manager was at the outdoor swimming pool. I immediately reported him. He took some pictures about my spots in my skin and the swimming gears. The pool manager brought me to local hospital for medical checkup in the emergency ward. I got 2 blood testing reports acknowledging abnormal level of white blood cells revealing infection. The doctor adopted wait and see and said to come back ASAP if itching was becoming serious.

We stayed at the hospital around 3 hours with my 10 year old boy from 19:30 pm to 23:30 pm. When we come back, we were starving. We order room delivery food service, 1 hamburger and 1 spaghetti at 22:50. We finally received our good 1 hour later at 23:50 instead of waiting 30 mins maximum. The pool manager paid the medical expenses at the hospital. The guest relation phoned me the next day and told me that after his investigation with the pool maintenance company, the green was due to high level of chlorine mixed with copper. He acknowledged that the water was unclean. He promised to offer us a teddy panda bear in compensation. LOL.

My skin was itching the following 2 days to the point that I asked to see a dermatologist. After 2 more visits at 2 hospitals, I was diagnosed bugs coming from nearby trees that fall in the water. I was prescribed western medicine. They paid the treatment of 117RMB. I told him them: 1. I don't understand how come your pool was so unclean and that one person was cleaning the pool while customers was inside and using the pool. Normally you never clean a pool when customers are swimming. While swimming, I bumped several time in the long cleaning pipe that the maintenance technician was using. 2. I don't understand why today, the pool was still open to other customers despite my incident yesterday. 3. When I asked to speak to top management, the GM, he NEVER showed up neither dare to contact me but rather sent his middle managers.

I sent to the 2 managers emails of my reporting and NONE of them replied. No result. My conclusion: I'm very disappointed that their "5 stars hospitality" brought me to spend time in the local hospital 3 times instead of enjoying time with my boy in their clean swimming pool. Even though the facilities are very good and perfect location to the nearby Panda Base, I will not recommend this hotel for this complete lack of accountability from the top management. Even though they handled the emergency for the hospital, they were completely inconsistent for the compensation due to their lack of hygiene in their outdoor swimming pool. What a hospitality experience! PS: I added pictures for the credibility of my testimony.

I stayed in your hotel Ushuaia Ibiza Beach Hotel from 14th Aug-20th August & nearly got killed by a heavy Rainforest Shower fitting (min 25 kg) with razor sharp edges without warning came crash down whilst I was showering. It took me 48 hrs to recover the close miss on my life. The matter was reported to Javiour the hotel manager who arranged for us to have another room which was worse than the one with the fully shower fitting. I asked for the shower fitting of this type in the hotel to be checked for safety & nothing happen. For sure you will be responsible for someone's life soon & the matter should be reported to the police which I intend to do.

It's a disgrace you un this venue as Hotel when it is a loud house nightclub with dangerous & drunken patrons putting your house guest at risk of assault. We witnessed many young girls sexually molested in front of your security guard & after midnight heard one young girl screaming & crying for help in full hearing distance of your security guard who did nothing. You must close this venue IMMEDIATELY & I intend to take this problem to the police, the social media & CNN.

I stayed at an Intercontinental Hotel for almost 70 days and used my points to order a couple gift cards. I got an email saying they shipped and gave me a tracking number. I checked for two weeks and the tracking number was never valid and I never got my gift cards. I called them and they said they would send out new gift cards. I never got those either. The motels are nice but there are a lot of nice hotels out there. I definitely will never stay at another Intercontinental Hotel again.

Beware of Hotel Indigo St. Petersburg, Florida billing your credit card with overcharges AND requiring valet parking where your keys can be lost. They overbilled me and charged my card without letting me know before I left the hotel and I had to argue with them to correct the charges. Valet parking is required and they lost my car keys for over a day. Only with my insistence they provided a taxi to my destination. The first room I had smelled of mold and the second room smelled so strongly of chemicals from stripping the hallway papered walls that I had to leave for hours before returning.

It was too late to change hotels as I was there for work. They did correct the billing in the end and I did get my rental car keys back, but the car had extra mileage on it and was not in the back lot where the cars are parked. The staff were lovely, it is just too bad that the hotel is mismanaged with very unacceptable billing AND valet parking. The number below is the final billing number, though there were several numbers. This company should be investigated for their practices.

I filled in the required Best Price Guarantee form because I found a better price. I received an email saying my request was denied. I then provided a PDF of the web page with the lower price. The reply was the same. I asked for an explanation, but just got quoted the same reply. I asked for it to be escalated to a manager -- same reply. Multiple emails made it clear that they were not reading my emails, just pushing a button to respond. I tried calling the number on the IHG corporate web page but after a 30 minute wait, I gave up. I belong to several hotel loyalty programs because I do a lot of travel. I have had excellent responses when I have encountered a problem from the rest -- Hilton, Marriott, etc. Of course I will end my relationship with IHG, which is too bad, because several of the places I have stayed have been very nice. This is no way to run a loyalty program.

Today when visiting the IHG website I noticed I had a free rewards night. As I looked into this further it states that I had earned this on 31 July 2015. However; it has never shown till now and it had to be used by 9 Aug 2016 (just a few weeks away) or I'll lose it. Customer service stated that they are aware that the system had a glitch and we were not able to see the rewards night online. However; per terms and conditions I should have known that I earned the stay and it was my responsibility to know when I had to use it by and if I thought there was a discrepancy I should have called. I mentioned that I did not know I had a free night so I wasn't aware of the discrepancy so there was no reason to call - I was told again that per term and conditions that I should have known.

Each person I spoke with, all three, were from the Philippines. Each one of them cut me off while I was speaking. They were not listening to me. They were thinking about the response they were going to tell me. This is not customer service, well not good customer service. I believe we teach others how to treat us, and I refuse to be treated like I was treated today. I will be using my free night on a frivolous night between now and 9 Aug and canceling my account with IHG. I am very disappointed with IHG and they should be disappointed with their customer service.

The thanks received for being a rewards member for 25 yrs. Platinum, by the way. My points are gone! Don't feed me your crap about how often I stayed. A long time customer of many years, wayyy before the rewards program. Guess what! More fish in the sea than you! That's where you'll find me. Your customer service stinks too!!!

I am platinum Elite with IHG - I think one of the highest levels in their reward program. I wanted to see what my points expiration date was. Looked online. Doesn't show even an 'expiration date' field. Their online help talks of 12 months since last activity. They had a sweepstakes recently. Maybe the points I earned there count? I go into a chat session for 15 minutes with someone trying to show me where my expiration date is. Got nowhere. I call and person says, "You are platinum, there's no expiration". Why not tell me on the website? Duh. Call Mr. Maalouf's office. He has exec customer disservice call me and they defend that they don't have the expiration date - "You are platinum elite so you don't have one field on their website". I'm done with IHG.

I signed up for the Mastercard Priceless Promotion and filled out 94 entries by hand and mailed them to HelloWorld. The entries were a way to enter the promotion without having to purchase anything. I painstakingly filled out 94 entries by hand with all the relevant info requested and mailed them off (as well as spent $50 for stamps/envelopes). After a month of nothing I followed up and was sent an email stating that ZERO entries were received either due to being invalid, incomplete, lost, misplaced, etc. This is absolute B.S. as I was very careful to write everything clearly to make sure I wasn't disqualified for being illegible or missing info. Only possibility is they lost them or the post office did and I'm not buying that the post office lost 94 entries. VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BOTH IHG/HelloWorld and would recommend avoiding them at all costs. SHADY COMPANIES!!!

Booked a 3-night stay through a 3rd party at Staybridge Suites San Jose. It was stated refundable room - free cancellation. BTW the room rate was $1330, but, the refundable room was $1510. Paid an extra $180 for free cancellation. After cancelling I was given written notification that the room was indeed cancelled free of charge, however, Staybridge charged my credit card $1510.41 for the complete duration of the booking stating that the 3rd party made an error and that the room was not refundable. That may be so, however, did Staybridge really have to charge me. Not only myself, but, approximately 10 other people totaling $7800.

The general manager, Charles **, and the operations manager, Spiro **, pretty much said "tough beans, get your money back from the 3rd party who made the error." Hopefully that will happen someday, however, it has already been 2 weeks and nothing yet. Then again, that may be because the 3rd party is trying their best to make a deal with the managers of Staybridge, but, they are not budging and why should they. They made a profit of $7800 by taking advantage of would be travelers.

Adding insult to injury, after contacting the assistant to Elie Maalouf, the chief executive officer of the Americas at IHG, the parent company of Staybridge, I received a phone call from his staff stating that policies and contracts cannot be avoided and tough beans again to you and the others, I was told the hotel did what they had to do. DID WHAT THEY HAD TO DO! REALLY!?! BTW in 2014 IHG's net income was 392 million. No wonder they needed the $7800.

The experience my friend and I encountered with your entity was atrocious. I have used Booking.com before this summer. I am a IHG Rewards member. The hotel was booked online on February 8. YES, six months ago. I am familiar with policies of hotels, that if a reservation is not cancelled by a certain time (usually 6 pm) the room is charged anyway. As my traveling companion and I had no intention of cancelling any room, there was no need to even contact the hotel other than for directions. Additionally, as the hotel had my credit card on file for those six months there was no need to call. Certainly we didn't call with the other three places we stayed in the Cotswolds and they were certainly more expensive and had accumulated many more stars in their reviews. The Holiday Inn Express was just a familiar name to me, an inexpensive place to sleep before boarding our ship early the next morning.

At 6:02 (yes, we know the exact time), we were lost on farm roads and found a pub to ask for directions. We had just left Castle Combe and were trying to take a shortcut to the motorway. It didn't work, but that is irrelevant. To save time we decided to also call for directions while having our tea. This is what we each were told, my credit card was invalid. My credit card works just well. In fact I had three with me and all worked well. I have excellent credit and find even the thought of such an accusation offensive (and this can be substantiated). Even if it was invalid, Holiday Inn Express or Booking.com should have contacted me SIX months ago, but did NOT.

I requested the manager and spoke to Peter, the general manager who made these statements. Then I was told an email had been sent to me with the accusation. Upon arrival at my home August 9, I found the email dated July 27. I am confused as that is AFTER our stay was to take place. Furthermore, one should not assume that everyone has access to email. My form of communication is a telephone. As a senior citizen when I want to discuss an issue I call or I write letters and mail them. I am only sending this notice by email because I am now in my home with access to a computer. Until recently I did not own a smart phone with email capacity and my traveling partner still does not. I sent my first text just recently.

The next excuse given by Peter, now number three, was that at 6 PM the reservation is automatically cancelled INSPITE of having the piece of paper in my hand with the confirmation. We NEVER had any intention of cancelling anything. If we had you certainly could charge me. The excuse was that at 6 PM all reservations are cancelled. Do I really believe that? If one reviews the confirmation it clearly states we would not arrive until 7:00-8:00 that night. Then the final blow. Within the two minutes from 6 PM to 6:02, Peter said our room was taken by someone else and no rooms were available.

As a general manager I am shocked at the "lameness" of such a statement. In just those two minutes someone drove up, walked in from their car and took our room? So, what was the result? No other rooms were available at the Holiday Inn Express. The one proper thing Peter did AFTER I insisted was to find us a room at a close by hotel. That was done and we ended up at the Hilton across the street. HOWEVER, although the staff was quite kind the price was OVER three times what the Holiday Inn was charging and without breakfast. We had no intention of paying such a high price for a few hours of sleep.

So what do I expect? At minimum Holiday Inn or Booking.com or the the Southampton location itself to pay the additional cost. What really should take place is for one of those entities to send an apology, pick up the entire cost of the room! GBP210 pounds which is about $330.3. Or pay the difference between the confirmed room price and the Hilton. CORPORATE IHG NEVER RESPONDED ALTHOUGH TWO LETTERS WERE SENT TO THEIR BRITISH ADDRESS.

Booking.com deferred to IHG, So they did nothing.

Around the 15th of May 2015, I received an email from IHG to sign up for their Share Forever Rewards, please note I wrote the 15th. It said the rewards program ran from the 1st of May to beginning of September. By this point I had already purchased 8 or 10 nights at a Riverhead, LI, NY Holiday Inn so I called them and suggested that their members should receive notification of these programs BEFORE they begin and not when they are already a half month old. The agent I spoke to said my account would be credited for these stays and I was sure they would honor this conversation.

After a few weeks when I didn't see the credits I called them again and the agent I spoke to this time informed me that because the program had already started before I registered for it I would not be credited for them. Then I wrote an email and again explained that they should let their members know about the programs before they start and someone wrote back that I would again be credited for the stays. In the meantime I had booked more stays at various hotels to include 2 different stays in London, in total since May 1st over $20k in hotel rooms. At this point there have been many over and back emails and on this $20k they tell me that I am due 16 nights in total credit, Hello is there anyone looking at the number $20K???

In my last email to them today I got very nasty to them using a lot of words I probably shouldn't have written but I am so frustrated and horribly annoyed with them... They are just not putting two and two together even though I have explained over and over and over... By the way, the last stay in London was for 21 NIGHTS x 3 rooms but yet they credit me with 16 NIGHTS that are legit but totally non-related to the London trip. Also, I had 21 NIGHTS x Three rooms but yet they will credit you with only one of those rooms per night? So, if someone buys and pays for 40 single nights at $200 per night which is an easy example to use of a total of $8K then someone who buys 40 rooms for 3 people for a total of $24k, the person who buys the single rooms gets the same credit as the one who spends $24k on the share forever program. You are kidding me right???

Their customer service is horrible, horrible, horrible. I am a Spire member and they told me after my last email that they were going to cancel my membership, so I told them "go right ahead." I have had so much unbelievable stress from their group that I will be much better off health wise as a result of not being a member than being one... Shame on them!!!

First, we faced so many issues related to the services, but their employees are like machines - they perform the instructions without understanding why or how to deal with customers...they keep saying "we have instructions." But we contact with the manager she explained that there are some security issues. She was helpful. The most important thing that I paid 2000 Egyptian pound to the reception at the first day as he told me to do. 200 $ or 2000 E pound. I took the receipt at that time then he put it in an envelope and give it to me back... I didn't check it again. Now I am checking with him. The same person the first question he asked: "Did you pay 1000?" I said "no I paid 2000 as you told me." And he denied and told me to check the receipt again which is in 1000 only.

Now I am confused and I hope to check the cameras to make sure that he didn't fool me. He said "I remember you. And I don't take 2000." So why he asked me if he know exactly what he usually take?!! I don't care about the money that much but really they don't appreciate the customers especially we are here for a long time. We have to be treated in special way! He must check for me not just ignore my point. He said 200$ doesn't equal 2000 E pound. I know that but this doesn't prove that he didn't receive 2000. It equals about 1500 is he going to take less?! Why not more?! This is not an evidence. I really hope that there is a way to check the cameras!

I received a call from the front desk at 9:30 @ night after 3 nights of a 5 night stay saying the two rooms I had were due for a room change. I have never heard of such a thing in the middle of the night. We were staying at the Astor Crowne Plaza in New Orleans. The reason given was that they had forgotten that the whole wing had been reserved. Yet my family did not see any other bellmen on the floor to move other patrons. Why this could not wait until the morning I do not know. I know that I had booked the room with a deep discount, but I hope that is not the reason.

I'm Kathy **, the meeting planner for Ozark Mountain Publishing. For the last three years we have used your venue for our conference and 3-4 training sessions each year. In June of 2014 we sold close to 500 room nights. In Sept of same year, we sold 400 plus room nights and used the Hampton for our overflow. In March of this year we sold 243 room nights. This last week we sold 400 plus room nights. We have purchased F&B each time as well. As I said, we have used your venue for three years. And we would be using it again next year, yet for the actions and response we have received from DOS Christy **.

We started negotiations for this year's conference in September. A week or so later, our Founder Dolores Cannon passed away. Due to her death, the company did some re-organization and the planning of this conference was given to another person in the office. There was a decision made to eliminate paying for conference lunches for attendees. In preparation for negotiations, the Sales Staff copied last year’s contracts. When we approached the Sales Dept, their response was likened to 'damage control' as they continued to refer to the previous year’s revenue and their sales budgeting during negotiations. Instead of accepting the program change, the Sales department forced our group to make a contract decision upon three options that took into account their loss in F&B sales.

Based on their three contract options, we choose the least expensive route on Meeting Space Charges, but we were held at 590 room nights. As a company, we were unsure how our attendees would react to Dolores' death and the impact it would have on our room sales for the conference but please note we have never sold 590 nights in one event. As our contract required, I requested the 20% reduction of the block months prior. That left us with a requirement of 472 room nights. I monitored the room night pick up throughout this process with Jennifer.

When I requested the updates, I never received computer generated report. She listed the counts within the email. On June 24th, one day before our group block dropped, I requested an update and had sold 497 rooms nights. I specifically asked about availability during our groups’ stay and she replied by saying it was 'wide open'. On Monday, July 6th (4 nights prior to arrival) I requested an update and was directed to Brenda. She sent a computer generated report showing 400 rooms sold. I inquired and she sent the cancellation computer generated report. It revealed that the Sales Department double booked our Staff Rooming List.

On Wednesday, we had some attendees that were told the group block was sold out. I contacted Brenda and she reassured me time again that the block was flexible and there were room available in the block. Late that afternoon, I called to make an addition reservation for a speaker at the conference. The desk clerk said 'she was unable to book rooms in the block'. I asked to speak to Brenda, but she was gone for the day. I did speak with Eric demanding he contact Brenda and straighten this out once again. I was transferred to Christy **.

She said they were unable to book the room because it was sold out. I explained that in our contract negotiations. We were told the block was flexible. Meaning, reservations would be added based on availability. Her response was that there were no rooms. So I specifically asked if the group block was sold out or the hotel was sold out. She said the hotel was sold out. I said "okay what do I do with our speaker?" She gave no advice but said she couldn't make the reservation anywhere else. I asked her how this would affect our attrition. She told me that we would still have to pay attrition even if there were no rooms in the hotel to sell and referred me to the contract.

I then called central reservations. I was shocked and stunned and immediately felt deceived and felt it was somewhat intentionally. I was able to book nine rooms. They wanted to refer me back to your sales department for more than 9 rooms. I called again and made 9 more reservations and each time I was able to book more, I felt more and more that it was intentional. Christy, as the DOS, should always know if the hotel is sold out. If there were only nine rooms, it might be understandable, but when I booked 27 rooms and inquired about yet another nine rooms, I am convinced it was intentional and personal.

On Thursday, I approached her with the on-site manager and asked her if her hotel was sold out. She was speechless. I asked her again and she stumbled around her words and said she must have looked at the wrong numbers. She tried to say the Front Desk told her that. And even tried to convince me that I told her the Front Desk clerk said the hotel was sold out. She tried to explain it by means of the Central Reservations does oversell in the hotel. She tried to explain that her report she was looking at was not updated with the front desk. She dismissed the on-site manager who was standing with us and said that she would follow up with me on what happened.

The Sales Dept did not send us the BEOs for our events until July 2nd and the BEOs did not reflect our contract negotiations. Our program started on the July 11th and there were over 30 plus BEOs in total. Due to the Holiday weekend and Gail absent from work on July 6th, this was NOT ENOUGH time to review, submit revisions or review the revised BEOs. But I did the best I could and signed and sent them. She told me on Wednesday she needed the BEOs back for the 10am staff meeting.

The first obstacle we had to overcome from the Sales Dept was in regards to adding two small (20 people) meeting space events for our workshops. Although, we did not use all of the workshop rooms stated in our contract, Gail said it would be $500 for each meeting space discounted to $250 each and because the second meeting was only two hours she could possibly get a discount on off of that as well. We were able to secure a board room at the Residence Inn, in the same parking lot at no charge.

The second obstacle was in regards to F&B break food for two days for 10 people. Gail refused to eliminate the break foods. When I made an attempt to talk to Christy she too said the food had been ordered and could not be cancelled. I let her know that we would not sign the BEO if delivered. She changed her mind and said she would cancel the F&B break. She was not at work that day so she called her Sales Dept to cancel the F&B breaks for the two day meeting. The Sales Dept cancelled the whole meeting, both days. And the Front Desk was relaying to attendees that the meeting had been cancelled. We did not receive beverage service in those meetings until the afternoon.

The third obstacle came about when the menu for the Reception was not correct. We submitted menus for both the reception and dinner months prior. The dinner menu was correct on the BEOs but the Reception was not. We had tried reception foods the last two years and we always ran out of food so we decided on a meal this year. I called Gail on Friday. On Monday she emails and says it can't be changed. I contact Christy and she says the foods been ordered and can't be changed. I insisted they contact the Chef and see if we could turn the reception foods into a buffet. At the end of the day on Wednesday Gail contacted the chef and relayed to me that it was fine for them to do the original buffet we asked for.

The fourth, yet another issue was the setup for the third day. It wasn't done and class wasn't able to start until 9:30. And fifth again, set up in HHIV was not done on time or correctly and our AV staff was there until midnight working. The hotel employees we worked with during the events were great. I can not say the same for your Sales Dept. After we signed the Conference contract, we started negotiating for September's training event. Christy refused to negotiate on a $700 meeting space rental so we took our business elsewhere. It was not only about the $700 but more about the resistance we received.

In the end, we will not be using the Hotel in the future. The Hotel is losing much more revenue in the coming year than the mere $700 she refused to negotiate down. Central Reservation made an error in canceling nine of the reservations made in my name on my personal account. I respectfully ask that your hotel reverse charges on my personal account and allow Central Reservations to reimburse the hotel since it was their error. Customer Relations told me the Hotel should reverse the charges but the hotel is resistant. In order for me to be reimbursed it will take at least a 10 day processing period. I need to be able to feed my family for the rest of the month.

When I spoke with Rhonda at the Front Desk she informed me that you are not Christy’s superior and my efforts to contact you would not make a difference. I just found out that your Hotel is changing management companies. I would like to hear back from you by 3pm today. If not I will be contacting Christopher D. Smith, Sr. VP Admin and Control. If I do not get a reply from him, I will be contacting Warren Cruz with Atrium Hospitality. I am sure they would like to know the issues in your Sales Staff.

I had a deplorable experience recently at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites in Ocean City Maryland. I had ended a relationship with a man because of domestic violence issues months prior. Unknown to me, this person had been following me for months. He followed me to my hotel and contacted the hotel by phone and told them he was my husband. The hotel gladly gave him my room number. I was awoken in the night from someone banging on my room door.

This had me scared and my three young children frightened half to death. I tried to look through the peep hole to determine who it might be and their finger was over the hole. I consoled my children and security came to the room and the intruder was gone. I didn't know who it was, so I went to the front desk the next day to ask if they had given anyone my room number. The front desk manager indicated they would not give anyone my room number and they would check with the night staff to see if they had done so.

The next day, the front desk informed that no one had given out my room number and that my name and room number must have been on the parking pass hanging on my rearview mirror. I checked and the parking pass did not have my room number on it. In fact, it was not in sight as I had forgotten to place it on the mirror. The intruder didn't bother me the second day, so I thought all was okay and that whomever it was had the wrong room or just would not bother me again. I had paid over $279 per night and the hotel would not allow me to cancel.

On the third day, I asked my brother in law to meet me at the hotel, so he could follow me to make sure no one was following me. He drove three hours to come to the hotel and couldn't locate me. I was with my children at the beach, but he was concerned so he called the police. The police showed up and the hotel still did nothing. Once I checked out of the hotel and left, I contacted IHG customer service about the incident. They informed they would contact the GM of the hotel and find out what happened. The GM called me and basically said no one had given out my room number and I must have given it to him... then, when I told him I was a victim of domestic violence, the GM made comments that it was my own fault, etc. I have used Holiday Inns and IHG my entire life and I have never had anything like this happen before. I have yet to hear back from the hotel or IHG.

I'm a platinum member and have had consistent issues when I speak to customer service to book or change reservations. It feels like I'm talking to a robot. I will explain the request or the issue and they'll place me hold for minutes, not a minute or two but up to five or more. They'll come back on the line and I have to repeat myself over and over. They simply don't listen. Then it gets worse from there. I've been disconnected more than once or placed on hold and just cold transferred. Someone will pick up and say "how can I help you?" with no knowledge of the issue or notice/introduction from the previous agent. This may not sound too bad but I'm now on my third major issue that has required at least 10 calls with no resolution. It's truly disappointing that IHG has cut costs to the point where their customer service is downright AWFUL. DO NOT STAY AT AN IHG HOTEL.

Don't EVER use Reward Points AND Cash with IHG. They are very dishonest with your stored Credit Card info and once you have been charged you won't get your money back! I canceled 2 "cancelable" reservations through IHG two weeks in advance and they refused to refund the Cash portion of the transaction. They are very clever to inform you that it is your own fault for not being aware of their policies. I am a Platinum member with over 60 IHG stays in 2014 at Holiday Inn hotels, and was treated like a child. The Guest Services rep was unwilling to hear my complaint, constantly interrupted me, and continually reminded me how it was MY fault. I was put on hold when I asked for a Manager for 1 hour! I eventually hung up. I would recommend to any high volume Hotel traveler to switch to Hilton Honors as the IHG policies are outrageous! They did not even thank me for being a Platinum member!!!

We belong to the IHG membership program and are Platinum members. We have had numerous issues with rewards not being credited despite meeting the criteria and registering for those. We have seen numerous negative reviews of properties removed from their sites. We have tried to contact customer service and get nowhere. The brand is declining and becoming worse each year as are many of the properties carrying the IHG brand. Many case of misrepresentation in advertising down to safety and health hazards at actual IHG properties.

NEVER told that when you use reward points AND pay cash (a split between the two) you do NOT get your money refunded if you should cancel your reservation within the specified time period. I called to make a reservation and decided to split the cost between using points and paying cash. I specifically asked if there was anything I needed to know since chances are 50-50 (illness in the family) that I would need to cancel the reservation and I was told that my money would be refunded and my points put back into my account.

Lo and behold I had to cancel my reservation and was told that I had to pay what was already charged to my credit card (actually it is pending) but points were restored to my account. I was told I would be given points for the charge but I do not want or need the points. I was also told that there was nothing I could do, was told very nicely, that this is policy. When I asked to speak to a manager I was put on hold for a half hour and then cut off. SO BEWARE that when you split between points and credit card payment you do NOT get your money refunded, the cash is converted to points and you must pay! I am one unhappy customer! :(

I am very disgusted with the service I have received being a Platinum Elite member. I made reservations today for points and cash. This is the first time I have ever done this. The representative did not advise me that the funds would be coming out IMMEDIATELY. Instead he said he wanted the debit card to hold the room. Seems like every other reservation right? Wrong, it comes out immediately and when you call them on it, they will not refund your money but only gives you points back! I do not want points as I do not think I am going to continue staying at this hotel chain. In addition, I spent all afternoon of my day off on the phone instead of with my family! I got disconnected 3 different times... each time I asked for a manager. The last time I called back I received a fake manager, Guest Services Manager, Angela ** (not very helpful). I asked for Angela's manager Michelle ** to call me tomorrow (I will see if this happens). Also asked for contact info for CEO Richard Solomon with no prevail. Can you say deceitful business practices? I do not think I will be participating with this fraudulent scam any further! BEWARE!!! I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau!

Everyone was very rude from management to housekeeping. Every time I asked a question I was brushed off. Sheets were dirty. When I asked for them to be changed the young girl just handed them to me and walked away. I will never stay at Carlisle Barracks again!

Intercontinental Hotels Company Profile