1.32/5

114 Intercontinental Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

I regret signing up for the high-interest credit card through IHG and Chase Visa. I have an exceptional credit rating and was told I would receive the lowest rate possible. They did not keep their word and if I cancel my account I lose all the points and free nights I have earned EVEN though my yearly card membership is paid through December 2019. A very short-sided move on their part considering how much my wife and I charge and travel.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Like numerous others I also had my points stolen. When I called customer service (numerous) and talked to various employees and was told the same thing over and over again that I had been notified by email 90, 60, 30 prior to my points expiring. I told the representatives that I NEVER received any notification and they kept insisting that I had and that my points would not be restored. But they would sign me up to get future notifications. Hmmm thought you had already notified me. So what would be the use now. You should have done that according to your 90, 60, 30 months according to you.

You’ve already stolen my points so that won’t be necessary because I will not be staying in any of your establishments ever again! I have been a member since 1998 and had a lot of point up in the hundred thousands but don’t know the exact number but I have ZERO now. Worst company ever and their customer is terrible. They care nothing about their loyal customers and are horrible to deal with. Take it from me and everyone else who has left a comment about their points been taken. Find another hotel rewards program that cares about their customer. If anyone is willing to get a class action suit against IHG I am all in. SCAM OF A COMPANY.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019
Hello, everyone. I just had a great, amazing time at MisCon this weekend. Thank you for the staff there, providing the food and helping us with our room and everything. Everybody treated us very well, from the staff. I had the best time ever at MisCon. Everybody had great films and a great party. I just love coming there whenever I can. My films, I'm glad everybody enjoys them. I loved the bed. Really nice mattress. The towels are very soft. And I just really appreciate the time and the effort the staff does for all the stuff that goes on there at MisCon. It was, you know, thousands of people and you guys do really hard work, so I appreciate that. And just keep up the good work and I will keep coming back to MisCon. Thank you so much, again, for your hospitality, and friendship, and I'll see you guys next year. Thank you.
Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

IHG Disloyal with Loyalty Program - I've been seething at IHG for their ultimate pettiness. I'm echoing my experience with their horrible customer service with the 2/9 review from Texas. IHG cancelled my over 10000 points for a technicality. I usually use government rates, but the Entertainment Book rate was a bit cheaper (minor difference). This stay was to satisfy my activity requirement for 12 months. I changed to this hotel to keep my active status. After they canceled my accumulated points, after going through hoops up the chain to corporate, here is part of their response:

"Greetings from IHG Rewards Club Service Center! I truly regret that we are unable to restore the points that expired... Moreover, we have reviewed your stay on 17 November 2016 and our records show that the stay was booked under Entertainment Card rate. Because of this particular reduced room rate, the stay isn’t eligible for points. You can learn more about this policy in Section 11 of our Terms and Conditions... We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you as we value your patronage. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact the IHG Rewards Club Service Center again." I'd give negative 5 if I could. They're horrible for customer service. I will never stay at their brand again! And (apparently) I'm sure they don't care. I'm a proud loyalty customer of both Hilton and Marriott, who care about their customers!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

$1,000 in charges against my credit card in one day across 6 bookings on 17 Jan 2019. No customer care. Transferred me 6 times to different operators and I ended back at the start. All obviously offshore in Asia with poor English. I mentioned the word 'fraud' then was again transferred to an area I had previously spoken with. All of a sudden there was a dialogue of not being able to hear and hung up. This is a scammer company utilizing tactics of frustrating customers with poor communications when caught. Don't even think about going near them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intercontinental Hotels?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

These jerks cancelled my 19000 points for no reason. They say they are allowed to since there was no activity for 12 months. They say they sent notice, but I don't recall it & they can't prove it. This is truly bad. What a sorry program. I could have stayed in much nicer facilities as part of my employment. The only reason I stayed in the Holiday Inn is because of this program. Take my word & stay elsewhere, some place nice and honest. I'd give negative 5 if I could.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

They sold to me a few days staying in Las Vegas. I gave them all the information (that I only would stay 1 day and leave early next morning). They said no issue and I bought this deal. When I made the final booking (confirming the date), they suddenly said not possible to do the tour on arrival day. I wanted to cancel as I told upfront but they said: cancellation policy is no refund. I really think they sold me something which doesn't apply for me (and I gave them all the information). So will never ever book again with IHG, they lost a good customer.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I got suckered into an upsell with this seemingly disreputable company when calling to confirm reservations for the Holiday Inn Express in Encinitas/Cardiff. When I called and confirmed, the person on the phone transferred me to some off shore call center selling cheap vacations at other properties this conglomerate apparently owns. It was only toward the end of the call that they mentioned the entire thing was predicated on a time share pitch. I kept saying I need to see the details before I hand over a credit card, but they put on a nice high pressure, now or never pitch. Not the type of situation I would ever imagine myself to be in when associated with Holiday Inn, a brand I had always thought of as above board. I talked myself into it anyway, or let them do that and since it was only $200 for a 4 night stay, I just figured I would muddle through a stupid time share pitch and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Then, when the only confirmation I got from them was that they had charged my card, with no details about the trip, the room, the property, rules and restrictions etc. is when I decided to cancel. I called back and got bounced all around their stupid call center, when finally someone named Victoria (I think) got on the phone to tell me that there are no refunds. I live in California, where there is a definitive rule where people can change their minds about purchases like this within a certain amount of time, and I was within that time frame. She still refused and became pretty rude and obstinate. At this point, I am filing a formal complaint with the state, going to the bank to put in for a charge back, and researching this company so that I never again have to touch any business that www.ihg.com is associated with.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Lobby was very decorative and location is central to area venues, shopping and restaurants. I picked as it was near where I started and ended my marathon. Dinner in the room for two nights had a nice city lights view. I had the breakfast buffet that had some good offerings and was convenient. Parking was located nearby. The room and bathroom was nice. Appreciated the assist with getting bags to and from our room.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I completed in good faith a reservation at a IHG property several months prior to which was confirmed via email and updated to my Rewards Account. Prior to arrival at the hotel I noticed my confirmed reservation had been altered. The rates had been increased considerably. I contacted the hotel and management at IHG. They admitted in writing to inflating the rates but offered no resolution or explanation. This is an appalling situation to inflict on a loyal supporter especially with no communication regarding the inflated rates. I cancelled the reservation along with my IHG account. This is a warning to anyone considering an IHG branded property.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Booked a room using points through IHG program. We never checked in, so rather than keeping the points they charged my credit card for the entire room. Crooks. They use IHG credit card to maintain their unauthorized charging of your card.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I called IHG on 11/22 to inform them that my account had been fraudulently used in China. I knew this because I received a survey for my stay, which was obviously not my stay. The thieves stole my points/reward night and charged money to my associated charge card. First question, when you have never used your rewards internationally after about 10 years of membership, would that not raise a big red flag? Where are the security checks? After my calls to IHG, I did not feel they were taking ownership of this issue. They froze my rewards account and Chase stopped my credit card. However, the violators of my identity were still able to stay using my rewards account for a night subsequent to my fraud notification.

IHG can not give me an answer as to how that happened and said they will not be able to even after the investigation is completed, as their security department does not disclose that information. This is my privacy that has been violated and you can tell me that I am not privy to how that happened? From a privacy/procedure perspective, something is very wrong here. Who is the Chief Security Officer at IHG?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Had spent a good deal of time with emails and phone calls for four months with Intercontinental Sydney arranging an 18th birthday party for my daughter. After all that detailed correspondence and the event staff agreeing and confirming what my requirements were, on the day part of those agreed arrangements were not provided. For the money paid for on the day, Intercontinental cannot be trusted. Despite the apologies and assurance of refunding a minor fraction of my cost, it is nearly 4 weeks no refund has been received. Not a great global image for customer care.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I travel a lot and my booking are always through travel agency or internal department, doing on behalf of me. This way to book a stay doesn't benefit to the IHG Rewards program whatever the stay, hotel, city. Just pointless...

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

The room was filthy, the walls, lampshades, mirrors, bathtub, were all stained and not properly cleaned. The room smelled like sewage so bad it was hard to sleep. When we told our concerns to the front desk, the employee was rude and practically laughed at us. We spoke to the manager and the response was, "We have 100 rooms and sometimes we miss one". She left it at that. We left immediately after. I filed a complaint with IHG and their response was to try to enroll me in their rewards loyalty program. I even sent pictures to IHG so they would know exactly what I had to go through. I would avoid IHG hotels.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

After being a point earning member since 1996, I logged in today to find 173,000 points deleted from my account and a balance of zero! NOT HAPPY! I was never notified that inactivity on my account for a year would result in my points disappearing. Have been told there is "nothing we can do". That is theft plain and simple. I urge all of you to cash in your points NOW so they don't steal them away from you too. What good is a point program if you don't get to use the points. I used to travel a lot and stayed at IHG chains, but after this experience, I will be looking elsewhere on my travels. Cash in your points now or risk losing yours too!

NO ATTEMPT was made beyond a lame email (which I never received) to notify people of losing their points. This may have been posted on their web page, but I don't travel as much anymore and nothing showed up on the App as far as policy change. I banked away most of those points between 1996 and 2009. Always going out of the way to stay at a hotel in the group. Their policy specifically targeted accounts like mine.

How many others were not notified and had their points taken away. The original agreement was "points never expire" and those points were earned under that agreement. Better yet has anyone talked to a lawyer yet? I think this classifies as a class action lawsuit since they stole the equivalent of around $1500 from my account. When I signed up and accrued these points there was no expiration.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I made a reservation in June for a conference in November. I had booked through IHG for a Holiday Inn Express room. The reservation was for 5 nights and was booked/purchased at the time of reservation in June. I found out in August, that I could not longer attend this conference. I called the hotel to cancel and they told me there would be no refund for the 5 nights as it was against their policy to return the deposit (which was the 5 nights stay). I was so upset. I called them in August and the reservation was not until November. This is fraudulent behavior as I know they took my money as well as the client's who will stay in the room I had reserved. I am never going to set foot in a IHG hotel again!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I always book online which have no problems, but this time I decided to call in my reservation because I wanted to pay for one night and use 2 nights with points (I didn't know how to do this online, hence the call in). IHG messed up my reservation and charged me for 1 night but only gave me 1 night on points. My stay should have been from 8/30/2018 to 9/2/2018, but was made from 8/30/2018 to 9/1/2018. When my family and I arrived back to the hotel from Disneyland on 9/1 11:30 PM, our room key wasn't working and that's when we discovered the screw up from IHG. All of our stuff was taken out of the room and at this point it was a disaster. My kids were exhausted and sleeping in the hallway while I took care of the error (I have pictures).

The Staybridge lady working at night also had issues making IHG understand how they screwed up. IHG finally hung up on me without fixing the issue. Staybridge still got me a room for the night (this was now 1 AM and my kids are still sleeping on the floor). The next morning I call IHG again to fix this debacle and requested my full refund for one night and my points for 2 nights because of their error. The manager I spoke to said IHG was not in the position to do this. Really?? IHG's revenue was $1,784 million and operating profit was $759 million in 2016. This is how they treated a "Platinum Elite Member" who was spending lots of money on IHG and saving points to take his family on a Disney vacation?? Confirmation for nights were **, **, and **.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Booked a room w/ rewards plus points. My plans changed so I cancelled my reservation over 2 months prior to the stay date. IHG charged me $90 to cancel my stay & refused to refund it. IHG Rewards Program is an absolute hustle to take your money. I travel weekly & spend over $15,000 a year on hotel rooms, none of that money will go to IHG again. La Quinta & Best Western both offer much better programs. I'll never stay at another IHG property again.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I am extremely displeased with the staff at this location. As I have tried to resolve this amicably, I am making an official complaint as the manager "Eric" I spoke with gave the impression that he did not care. After having just finished taking a shower, a member of staff came knocking on the door to inform me that the fire alarm had just been set off - I was asked quite politely in regards to having just taken a shower - and I was asked politely to open the window in which I did. I informed the hotel staff that when I am taking my shower in the evening/morning that the water is leaking on the floor. I was told that due to it being Sunday - there was no one that could help until Monday - I was offered another room which I had declined as I had just finished setting up my room.

This morning, again, I had just finished taking my shower and there was a violent knock on the door, The person who knocked was extremely aggressive and rude. He immediately stated that I was smoking in the room, and I was not. I informed him that I just finished my shower - he immediately tried to force his way into the room and stated the window needed to be opened. I informed him that I was half naked - having just got out of the shower and that I would open the window.

As I was opening the window he was on the phone with his colleagues clearly telling them in French that I was smoking in the room - Further dispute with the person continued and I retired to my room in then which someone - equally rude from Reception called my room accusing me of smoking in the room. I have not smoked since July 2nd 2017. I spoke with the manager Eric in regards to my experience with the hotel and his demeanor was that he did not care. Only item offered was to change rooms. I am travelling for work and this is the WORST experience I have ever had with a hotel in my life.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED to find out I lose 93,000 point due to inactivity. Been a stressful year with cleaning out, repairing and selling our parent's house since they moved in a nursing home. I had to limit my travel strictly to the 12 hour trips each way to visit them and sell the only home I knew as a child. With that painful task completed and looking forward to taking a short get-a-way trip with my wife, extremely disappointed my points vanished due to inactivity. You let me down and hid under your company policy!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I am so disappointed as an IHG member. In making my latest reservations, I have been given different prices by the hotel, the reservation number, and customer service -- even within 5 minutes of each other. In expressing my concerns, the response was "if you cancel your membership, you will lose your 817 points (whoopee) and we will cancel your reservations and you will not be entitled to a refund as it was a prepaid reservation." Luckily for me, my second reservation at a different location that same week, I was given the same price by everyone.

So good news is I will have 2 days as I planned while spending almost 20% more than I was quoted for the other 4 days. However, I will not cancel my membership before those stays because I surely do not want to lose those 800+ valuable points. My stays have always been great but the customer service angle has been very poor, and not only this time. You may ask why I continue to stay at their locations, mainly because they are always clean and well-kept, they are close to where I want to be and I don't have to deal with people other than to check in and check out.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

So extremely disappointed in this company. I had over 89,000 points that I painstakingly acquired over a period of time. I went out of my way to stay with their hotels just because of the points. When I went to book a hotel after not having booked in a while (had no need to travel during this period), I logged into my account to find I had absolutely no points. I called into customer care and they told me that since there was a period of inactivity, my points had expired. I requested a supervisor and was told there was no one available so they would have someone call me back. No one called back. This actually happened twice.

When I finally was able to speak to a supervisor, they told me that a supervisor had called back but that they called a different number. This is despite the fact that I provided the correct number. With regards to the points they told me simply that there was absolutely nothing that could be done and my points were just gone and an incredibly rude manager named Winnie told me this decision was “final”. I’ve read other comments here and am VERY interested in getting a class action going. Please anyone let me know if you are able to get one going and I will do the same.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Navigating through the company programs, policies and customer service is seriously stressful and almost impossible, so much that the reps have no idea what they are doing, selling or how to navigate their own systems. The amount of times you have to be transferred is despicable and completely shameful. All you ever hear from them is one sorry after another, yet no resolution. Leave feedback and there is never a real resolution but just endless backpedaling for how it was somehow a mistake that your points were not usable, in a different bucket, expired (but the proper time hasn’t elapsed for expiration) and “oh I’m so sorry about that, must be a mistake”.

They steal 15,000 points to transfer points from one bucket to another because they don’t “convert the same way” and THEN charge you $65 for this “transaction” and AFTER you pay them to use your own points, they tell you that it won’t go through for 3 days. So you can’t even book your stay, which is the whole reason you called and we’re transferred everywhere, then they tell you to just go ahead and pay it in cash and the day before call back for the same insanity and they will use the points instead of your money.

Try it once and they then take the cash and tell you it’s not refundable. Where was that information when offering for us to use cash instead? They are complete frauds, thieves and the most impossible program to use and never results in a feeling of vacation. It’s like tearing your own hair out just to be robbed by the very people you were tearing your hair out for. How this company isn’t being sued by people, states or the government that’s supposed to have the consumers backs and defend our rights is beyond me... Steer clear and take your money elsewhere if you value your money, let alone your sanity.

Original review: July 24, 2018

IHG rewards system does not fully explain to the customer when making reservation using the points and cash method, in that the "cash" part is not refundable even if the reservation is canceled in advanced. The actual "cash" portion is your agreement to purchase additional points to make up the difference in the reservation. Not sure how they are allowed to do this, maybe Georgia laws are a bit relaxed, but in most parts of the country this is considered fraud. At least their customer service was able to explain the additional charges on my CC, but the tone was of "ya we know we messed you over but we got your money so move along".

Original review: July 6, 2018

To all those interested in class action, I am interested too. But I have no idea how, and not living in Georgia, USA, it makes it a little more difficult (it looks like you/a representative will have to attend). I wonder if we all filed the same day in Georgia small claims court that the weight of all of us, would make it uncomfortable enough for them to relent. I am not sure if they can make a counterclaim for their costs if I lost. We do need a lawyer to have lost points who would be willing to support/advise us.

In the meantime, I have emailed Keith Barr (CEO), and Natasha ** (Executive Liaison). I have got no further than any of you. I kept everything very polite, and perhaps you would do the same... Maybe if we all email, then they would realize that there is a real risk of this going further. I am not sure that I am allowed to give Keith's email, but a quick google seach will help. I found a site called CEOEMAIL.com, but there are others.

After various toing and froing on the emails, I sent a "Subject Access Request" Under EU data protection law. They have 1 calendar month to provide you with information they hold about yourself. I only did this a few days ago, but they have told me they will comply. I have asked for a copy of the terms to which I agreed. (In this manner I can show what I agreed to) Records of correspondence regarding my request (so that I can see if they believe internally there is a weakness). Transactions subject to the points program - so that I know how much I can claim.

Please feel free to make the same request. Maybe the sheer weight of requests might make them re-think their process. The other thing I am going to do is email Keith Barr, every time I stay in another hotel. I am going to show how many nights profit they have lost compared to the points they expired from me. In doing this I am going to let him know that I am boycotting his entire hotel chain.

My view on the law is that there are 4 elements needed for a contract Basic to a contract is a "meeting of the minds." The parties have to understand and express to each other what is expected of each of them. In this case - I stay at a hotel, you give me points that do not expire. Parties Capable of Contracting - I am an adult of sound mind, they are a company who I like to think is of sound mind. An Agreement with Obligations - I have agreed and paid something to IHG, for which they have given me a hotel room for the night and points A Legal purpose - As in it is not illegal.

I understand that there is a change of terms clause, but I don't believe this should apply to retrospective stays. (They can't take the hotel room back, or ask for more money, so why can they take the points back.) Consequently - I only want to have my points earned before the change of policy to be reinstated. Although I missed the change of policy I think they are entitled to assume that I have seen the change, and so they gave me points at that stage that had an expiry clause on them.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I booked a hotel stay for this location in Jan 2018. I canceled the reservations via phone in February. Our stay was to be in June. This was a large reservation of 13 rooms as it was for our youth softball team. Upon noticing a significant decline in our bank account balance, it was discovered that we were charged for these rooms. The hotel was notified. The hotel was very rude and not helpful. Upon locating cancellation numbers that were emailed when the rooms were canceled, the hotel was called again. The hotel could not help since the original reservations were made through their website. They transferred me to IHG customer service.

The first call to IHG was to an lady that was looking into when we were disconnected. The second call was answered by Angela at customer service who tells me the cancellation numbers on the email do not match the reservation and any refunds are up to the general manager. Customer Service is not able to help and directs me back to the hotel. Upon calling the hotel and asking for the general manager, Lacy transferred me to him. I hear him on the phone and he says "oh ok. Goodbye." After about 20 seconds the call drops.

When I return the call, the manager on duty, April, says Andrew the GM is out until 10 a.m. the next day. When I ask, who the man was that obviously answered the phone by mistake and hung up, she "didn't know" as she was "at the front desk". April, as the manager on duty, is unable to give me any guidance on what needs to be done as only the GM can make that call. The same GM that refuses to speak with me. I asked who I could send the emails I had to and she gives me the same email address on the website that I have emailed once already with no response. I know that as I am the person responsible for booking hotel stays for our travel softball team, we will not be using any IHG property. I also know, I will make sure every person I know, is aware of their poor customer service and their inability to admit when a mistake was made and to do the right thing.

Original review: July 3, 2018

This is the only time I went to IHG staff to help with hotel bookings. I was specific as to my needs and did this several months before the travel dates. They said they got it and I booked through them. A few days before traveling, I called the hotels and neither were booked for what I needed. I tried calling IHG. 90 minutes and all they could do involved more points, points and cash along with their condescending comments about how close to the travel dates it was. No accountability.

I sent an email and the reply was only about the process and how important planning ahead was. No accountability. I responded and received another email explaining email communication would not work because it was too close, along with the 866 number I already used. They had my phone number as I am a member. The only part that was booked correctly was the resort I booked myself. I talked to the sales staff there. I was told that the senior sales manager called IHG and the only option available to me involved worse locations and more points- a lot more points-. If you want no accountability IHG is for you.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I could go on and on how IHG screwed me out of my points, but what's the use. By reading all the other comments it doesn't seem to ever do any good. This is the worst rewards program I have ever used. I have traveled for business and got talked into this program by one of IHG's representatives. I used it and had gathered points until I decided to cash them in and they told me since my account had been idle for 3 months that they had been lost. I was told I needed to check my account more often because emails had been sent telling me they would expire if not used in 90 days or if I hadn't added to them in 90 days. Are you kidding me! I would think the average American doesn't stay in a hotel every 3 months. What a joke!

Original review: May 28, 2018

IHG - InterContinental Hotels Group Holiday Inn Express Gatesville, TX- Review. Where to begin. I have stayed at a few Holiday Inns over the years and other hotel brands with no issues like I experienced at the above hotel in Gatesville, TX. Upon arrive, no air in room and remote was broke- had to move rooms. I had college finals to do online and was told they had free WiFi 'amenity'- it wasnt working. They reset router, then directed me to a 1866 number that was not answering since it was 7 pm on a Sunday- Had to go to McDonald's and complete my homework for 4 hours, using their reliable Wifi.

Wanted to do laundry. Was told detergent could be bought downstairs. We bought it, went to put it in, and was not told that the 'amenity' cost a dollar in quarters. We didn't have change. We went to front desk to get change, the front desk did not have change. We had to go to a store to get change. Breakfast the following morning- We had a two year old in tow who still is on a mostly milk diet in terms of drinks. There was no milk. We waited 20 minutes while the teenage looking boy (if he was an employee, he was not dressed in Holiday Inn logoed attire) went to the store and came back. The milk was gone after about 5 people. Coffee was cold. No microwave to heat it.

Getting a shower in the morning- no vent. Had to wait for steam to clear out. Went to get clothes out of washer and get ice from ice machine. Ice machine was not working- no ice. Kids wanted to swim in pool. Their grandparents took them down. They were told by staff the reason the pool was so green was because the sides and bottom of the pool was painted green and let my kids swim in that! It was a chemical imbalance! I know because my husband is a manager at a pool and spa company! Once I saw the pool I asked management when it would be cleaned- they did not know. The pool was later closed for the rest of the day (and foreseeable future).

We finally decided to check out and go down the street to the Ramada Inn- where I am now writing this review on a working WiFi connection, in an air conditioned room, while my kids swim in a blue, chemically balanced pool! IHG needs to seriously overhaul their Gatesville, TX location. Management was apologetic, but that was about it. There is no oversight going on there. The GM was not present when we were complaining and getting no results. Shame. Shame. SHAME.

Intercontinental Hotels Company Information