3.0/5 (395 ratings)

About Intercontinental Hotels

Intercontinental Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intercontinental Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intercontinental Hotels?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I’d give them zero if I could. I have been a Spire Elite for many years and while I generally like the properties the IHG customer service and chain management are poorly trained and arguably inept. I went into 2019 with 89 carryover nights. That alone would have qualified me for 2020 Spire. I called early in 2019 to confirm that any new nights in 2019 would roll to 2020. I received two confirmations, one from a manager that they would qualify so I stayed an additional 57 nights.

2020 comes and no rollover nights. After 9 phone calls and a ridiculous number of emails I have no satisfaction. The answers ranged between “you will see 86 nights posted and zero with the answer finally landing on zero. I actually had a manager email me a few minutes ago saying 70 would post and then re-emailing that zero would post. I can’t express how angry I am as a top tier member feeling like they flat out lied to me. They essentially took 75 of my 89 rollover night for 2020 qualification and then deleted all 57 new nights. And this was done after multiple confirmations that the new 57 nights would roll over. I was actually told by multiple people that 81 nights would roll over. I’m not even sure that “inept” is the correct word to describe this team.

While their outsourced customer service is polite and constantly apologizes for the inconvenience they clearly 1) do not understand their own program and 2) are not authorized to use common sense. I would be very careful about using this hotel chain if the points and status are important to you. Sadly, I will have to give up on hotels I really like because the IGG chain management seems to be fine with misleading long term customers and then making the outcome the customers' problem.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Have been a member since the time when you had to pay to join. Vacillate between platinum and spire but this made no difference. When I had a problem with booking, customer service could not resolve in two days. Spoke with a supervisor who was absolutely no help but said hotel manager would contact me within forty-hours but it never happened. Wrote letter that was never responded to. Hard to believe that supervisor simply did not care.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I was traveling and lost my debit card. I had a credit card on file and asked if I could write a $25 check to have cash for tips and what could not be paid for by credit card. The girl at the front desk went to the back, behind a door and then returned and told me their "policy" was sorry, no. I was paying almost $400 a night for lodging, and could not understand why someone could not come out and at the very least, talk to me. I will never be back and do not recommend this chain or hotel. Everything is very rigid and by the book/policy. I found my card at a place I had been and had to return to get it, but will never forget how poorly they handled this and how inhumane they acted. They could not have cared less.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have been an IHG Rewards member for years, and recently, they have turned into such a joke. Two months ago, I booked a room for a work trip. Had my confirmation number. It had been prepaid for through the IHG APP. I get to the hotel. It's 9:30 on a Friday night, and the hotel had no record of my booking, and the confirmation number meant nothing to them. So I try and book a new room, and since it was 9:30 on a Friday night, they had no rooms. Because of this, the only place I could get a room was at a shared an Airbnb of some middle-aged white guy who was renting out his son's old bedrooms. NOT IDEAL.

Last night I decided to give IHG another chance after that horrible experience, and I booked a weekend trip for me and my sisters using points, and I wake up this morning, and they charged the entire trip to my card. The trip is a month away, was supposed to be on points, and my card was only to hold the room. I call IHG, and they said, "Sorry, Ma'am, but there is nothing we can do." Oh, and it's not refundable, so I can't even cancel the reservation. I will be switching to a different travel rewards group after this. I suggest you run not walk away from IHG because they do not care about their customers and will take you for every penny they can.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Our stay was in Englewood CO at the Holiday Inn Express. I had a couple complaints about our stay so I emailed customer service after a note was under my door at 4 am saying there was no water. This was really the last bit of frustration I could deal with in one stay. Hotel was under construction, manager lied to customer service said I was offered a chance to leave (didn’t happen), no pool, no gym and homeless outside all the time with no security. Customer service does nothing after 10 emails I have given up.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

ORIGINALLY we were satisfied with most of what IHG had to offer. But learned as we travel often it was actually cheaper to stay elsewhere and were treated better when encountering a problem. We stayed at a hotel overnight. First room had dirty linens, no fridge, no phone, etc and we asked to be moved. We were moved. New room had no hot water then in the middle of the night our room was re rented and we had unexpected guests in our room while we were in bed. Next morning still no hot water. Hotel was willing to refund but we used points. 30k points. IHG ONLY DECIDED TO RETURN 5K OF THEM AND SAID THAT'S ALL THEY COULD DO even after I said I would no longer be using them. I am a Spire Elite member that is unhappy with customer service which to me is the most important part of this service. 2 thumbs down!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I normally do not take the time to write hotel reviews, but this time I do have some suggestions for management that may improve this property. Overall, it is a nice place to stay. The rooms are clean except for one cobweb containing a dead spider, beds are great, breakfast is adequate, parking is easy. However, a few items completely under control of local management need to improve:

1. "This is a 100% Non-Smoking Hotel" signs are all over the place. However, when you pull up under the portico to unload your bags when checking in, there are almost always a few smokers within 10 feet of the front door doing their thing. You have to breathe the gauntlet just to get to the lobby. My wife is very sensitive to cigarette smoke. There is even a little post that the smokers use as an ash tray within 15 feet of the front door. NOT the sort of first impression one wants. Even staff are out there during their break, sitting on the bench right next to the front door puffing away.

As we were checking out on Sunday morning, two maids who are very nice and friendly were sitting there smoking away. We had to move away from the front door while we were waiting on our ride just to get away from the smell. The solution is simple. If you want one, just move the smoking area out the side door off the lobby. Put a canopy over that porch area to ward off rain/snow. Easy to do, minimum expense, much better for guests both visually and smell-wise going in and out of the front door. 2. The hallway carpets especially the one on the second floor are in dire need of shampooing. The hallways also don't seem to be vacuumed every day to pick up paper scraps and other stuff. Just 'do it'.

3. Front desk staff need some "Customer Service" training. Most of the folks are nice, say hello and all that. However, smiles are rare and our checkout on Sunday morning, the 15th, was not pleasant. I tried to check out when I was downstairs after breakfast. Was told that I could not until we had everything out of the room. Unusual? Yes, not what I am accustomed to at other places, but if that's policy, that's fine. So, got everything out of the room, returned pulling 3 bags, stopped to check out. Was met with a terse, "You're all set" comment. That was it. I said, "May I please have a receipt". She didn't say a word, but went over and printed one. I said, "Thank you". I got back the standard "No problem". Maybe I'm just an old grouch, but whatever happened to "Thank you for staying with us, please come back and see us the next time you're in town" said with a smile and an offer of a receipt?

4. We were in Room 237, almost to the back of the property. The sink was a bit stopped up but that's OK. But the TV and Internet signals were very weak. TV kept breaking up, especially in the lower broadcast channel range, channels 3 and 4. But, I did see the Cox Communications trucks there twice during our 9 day stay and I assume that problems had been taken care of? Trip type: Friends. Rooms 3.0 Service 3.0 Location 4.0. 

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

On July 29, 2019 I was making a reservation at Holiday Inn Express, after I made my reservation, I was was up-sold for a vacation package to LV and provided with confirmation number. When I called back on Aug 12th to make sure my confirmation is valid (although they had charged my credit card already), I was told there is no room available. I asked for refund and I was informed to contact guest relations via an email. 8 days later no phone calls or email from anyone so I decided to follow up. After being on the phone for nearly two hours and being bounced back between 4 different phone numbers, I was told this is a "timeshare" and it is not refundable.

Let me be very clear on this when I spoke to the agent on July 29th, I can't mention her name here (slander law) but employee ID was **, she never once mentioned this is "timeshare". That is called "misrepresentation and misleading". She never once told me this is not refundable. That is called "false advertising" - She gave me a confirmation number and no room available that is called "misleading." I am surprised that a big company like Holiday Inn allowing frauds and false advertising to happen under their roof and nobody wants to take responsibility for this. This was not someone calling me to sell me this package, I called to book hotel in Oklahoma which already took place and at the same time I inquired about Las Vegas at the end of August and this is what happened. If this review would allow me to give NO STAR, I would have. Unfortunately even one star rating is too much.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have been a IHG member for over 22 years and have a Platinum Elite standing. While booking a trip to Aruba we wanted to stay at a Holiday Inn Property (Resort). When I went to book a room for 8 nights I was told by IHG that I cannot use points on the better rooms, only the inferior rooms. I was talking to an overseas agent by the name of Nicole and since I wasn't happy with her response I asked three times to speak to a supervisor and she refuse. I then called customer relations and guess what, my call went overseas again. This time I spoke to Shauna in customer relations and when I asked to be transferred back to the corporate office she stated "This is overseas guest relations corporate office" and would not transfer me.

The following day I tried to reach the corporate office but to no avail. All calls no matter what number I dialed went overseas and when I asked to be transferred the agents hung up on me three different times. It is obvious that IHG has grown so big that they don't want to hear any issues and everything is sent overseas. In my opinion this is a great way for them to tell the board of directors they never hear of any problems. I am still going to Aruba, will book with a chain that is not part of IHG and since I cannot reach anyone to discuss my issues I will be forced to express my feelings on social media such as my Facebook and Twitter accounts.

I guess being a loyal customer for 22 years doesn't carry any weight with IHG. Maybe they figure I am getting older and won't be traveling as much as I use to. What a way to treat a retired loyal customer. WAY TO GO IHG!

Original review: July 20, 2019

Before I write this review, I would like to mention that I've been with IHG for over 15 years (>100 nights over this period) and have had good experience with this hotel chain so far until 2 recent incidents. Here is one of them, an incident with Price Guarantee. I booked a hotel in Bern, Switzerland through IHG website, only to find there's a slightly lower rate on Expedia. So I submitted a form as instructed by the IHG website. They were quick to reply, within 24 hours, declining my claim citing that I have not booked the lowest rate on IHG website and the T&C states that I have to book the lowest rate. I pointed out that we should be comparing the total price/rate as the "lowest surface-rate" had more service and hidden charges that resulted a total higher rate. To be specific they were the following:

1) YOUR RATE by IHG® Rewards Club Advance Purchase - 160.60 (129.20 + 11.40 + 20.00),
2) Global Sale - YOUR RATE by IHG® Rewards Club - 143.90 (132.50 + 11.40),

3) Rate on expedia.ch - 140.90 (130.38 + 10.52).

I obviously booked the 143.90 because it was cheaper for the same room type, same dates. I do not know why the different rate has different extra fees on the same IHG website. I asked and the manager who replied me said she doesn't know as well and it's up to the hotel to charge those fees. She insisted that (1) is the lower rate, if we exclude the fees.

Now, with any decent price comparison, anyone would clearly be able to see that 2) is the lower rate offered by IHG and expedia has the lowest rate among the 3 rates. What matters to the customer is the total price he/she is paying. Furthermore, on the flip side, it would not be fair to IHG if a 3rd party website advertises a low rate but slap a high service charge. Although the amount is very small, I am upset in principle that IHG is not honoring what it claims in Price Guarantee. It feels like a marketing gimmick and one should always check other sites to compare prices. I usually don't, when it comes to IHG hotels because it has been good with prices but now, after this experience, I would. In fact, I would divert my business travels to other hotel chains and would try to avoid IHG on my personal travels as well.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Mike and Johan are STARS! Best support and good team, they definitely deserve a raise for providing such a high standard service! I called at 2am for a last-minute reservation and they went above and beyond to make sure that I could get the room as soon as possible. Cannot thank you enough!

Original review: July 13, 2019

I booked 3 rms for 3 night at the Holiday Inn Quantico Center, Quantico, VA. on 7-3-19 Had problems on the website booking the rooms, so I call the hotel directly. Attached you will see the confirmation number. Later they split it, so you will see 3 different confirmation numbers. Spoke with the people there 3 more times during the week due to other issues that arose. Every time I spoke with them, they assured me everything was alright.

When we arrived, they told me they couldn't honor the employee rate for 3 rooms. I was fine with this, because my sister-in-law couldn't come after all due to hospitalization. Then they said they couldn't honor it because they couldn't verify my employment. I gave them my GM's card & my ID, since the ID was the only thing they required on the phone. They didn't want to call my GM. As tired as I was, I didn't think to tell them to check my employment in loyalty connect under program information.

Bottom line, they waited until I arrived, wouldn't honor the original reservation, then charged my CC 508.41. When I went to the car to call IHG and cancel, they said it was past the cancellation policy. This I know, they had ample time to tell me during the past week that they were not able to give the employee rate at that time. Giving me the option of agreeing to pay their price or make other accommodations. But they did NOT.

When I called IHG customer service, they told me I had to call employee customer service. When I called them, they put me on hold. So thus, here I am writing to you. As part of an IHG family, I have been taught wonderful training. But I have never been taught or had the need to be taught human kindness or how treat people with dignity and respect. We buried my 96 year old father-in-law, a WWll Vet, who deserved to have his family attend his funeral in peace.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Lost lots of points over the years - for not applying them to stays. When I tried to spend remaining points around 200,000, no hotels were available, points usage per night stat varied from 35k to 50k in the same conversation. Offshore telephonist refused to allow the issues to be raised with supervisors as THEY were the highest you go. I receive over 400,000 per year and cannot avail of the points - tried about 6 hotels and flexible dates to no avail. If rooms were available they were not available on points. Radisson Rewards reinstated om Rewards after being dormant for 4 years - they have a new ally. IHG could not give a definitive points rate for a specific hotel as it depended on availability, cost and any whim they foresaw. After spending 3 out of 4 weeks in IHG per month I will use any remaining points and never book IHG properties again.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Friendly staff. Very helpful. Breakfast was good. Loved the pancakes. Ask for a higher floor. I was put on second floor. Also room was a bit dated. Location was great. Right on the edge of downtown. I would stay again.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I accumulated 21,448 frequent stay points (worth approx $245) during my work career and I retired 2013. I called IHG 6/12/15 and was told my points would NEVER expire and there would be NO blackout usage dates. When I reviewed my account today, I was informed their rules changed in 2016. At first, I was asked if I could verify any activity in 2016 to retain my account. Then I was told my lack of activity since then would still invalidate my points. I never received any email or phone notification of their 2016 policy change. I was told there was no recourse or appeal, so there was no need to call a supervisor. Hilton reactivated my points so I'll stay with them. I recommend you avoid IHG's fraudulent actions and stay elsewhere as they don't value loyal customers.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Best price guarantee is not REAL. In short: Booking.com had a room for 103.99 and IHG had one at 117.00. I booked with IHG since I have their cc and they "state" they have a best price guarantee. I submitted the claim on Wed. at 6:20 P.M. Their department checked the next day at 7:40 a.m. The price the next day had obviously increased to 119.00. They said they couldn't honor the 103.99 because that price was not available at the time they checked... I took screenshots just in case this occurred but they also wouldn't look at them. I understand this is all to work to the advantage of the company but then in reality they don't have a best price guarantee. They don't have a number you could call and so they can check immediately. They want time to pass so the price hopefully changes. I am disappointed and I feel lied to.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I had a 4-night reservation confirmation for the Intercontinental San Francisco that indicated I qualified for reward points (15288). On March 6, 2019 I made a change with IHG -over the phone, spoke to 'Pat'- and was guaranteed that this change would not disqualify me from earning points. Upon check in at the IHG SFO no one said anything but upon check out on June 6th I was told my 4-night stay did not qualify for points. This is especially frustrating as I would have never stayed at this hotel if I knew. I will never stay with IHG again if I can avoid it. M.**.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Initial check-in had me suspicious based on the clerk. However the staff was excellent for the remainder of my visit. The fitness room was sufficiently equipped to support a regular fitness routine.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I booked a room in New Orleans, and then about a week later wanted to add one night. First, they sent an email with a different name on the booking. Then they changed the price for the first night when I added one night. I called, got knocked off, and I’m tired of just trying to be understood and helped. I think this is my last stay.

Original review: June 1, 2019

IHG customer service continues to drop. Have been a member since 2012, several thousand points earned and can’t use them for the rooms I need. Every time I call in I get this randomly selected only “one time offer” yet I keep getting offered it which is a scam anyways. Just tired of the lies this company is doing lately. Horrible service. Time to switch to Marriott facilities.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I am an Aspire Elite (yearly stay of 75 or more nights). I was upgraded to a 1 BR king suite but was told 4 days later that I had to move to another room as they needed it as there was a large country music festival in town and that other guests were wanting to book a suite at the hotels higher than normal rack rate. I'm a lifetime elite member of Marriott and Hyatt Hotels and have never experienced a demand to move from my room so they can use it for other customers paying a higher rate. IHG and its franchised properties do not really care about their customers. Do yourself a favor and spend your money at the larger chains as Marriott and Hyatt who really care about customer service

Original review: May 23, 2019

I made a best price guarantee claim, because their hotel rooms are always found cheaper on other websites. However they refuse to price match, and lie about quotes. They have no intention to price match and will say they can’t see the cheaper prices, even though I can get the cheaper prices repeatedly, even today. Conveniently they reject screenshots as they don’t like to see themselves proved wrong. They clearly don’t care about their customers, so do yourselves a favour and book the cheaper quote found on 3rd party websites. (Google hotels will help you find them.)

Original review: May 22, 2019

It is bad enough the short time 12 months IHG expires points earned, but I paid for additional points, then lost my job. After 24 months my travel was starting back up, but all my points had expired, including the points I paid for. How can they expire something paid for and unused? What a rip off, won't stay with any IHG hotels ever again!

Original review: May 19, 2019

Price guarantee is a joke, you only have 24 hours after purchasing to submit, and they also mention: that IHG Member Early Access Sale is an invalid third party website, the competing website should be a non-IHG website which is defined as a website not owned by IHG, that makes IHG rooms inventory publicly available and offers it directly to consumers, and that provides a confirmation of a completed reservation at the moment of completion of that reservation. Meaning if they drop their price on their own website, you get punished by booking earlier.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Terrible experience. Stayed here and wrote a review on another site. Basically called us liars. I’ve stayed at all kinds of IHG properties and have never left a bad review. Here’s the review. Stayed here while attending sporting events.. When I opened the door to room 1201 it stank. I pulled the blankets back off the bed and it was filthy. Hair, scabs and dirt. Totally disgusting. I’m an IHG member and have stayed at hundreds of Holiday Inns. This one is absolutely abhorrent. I started to itch when I sat on the couch. My sons head began itching. I was going to stay for 3 nights. However after this experience I cancelled my remaining nights and booked at the Rogers Center . DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. IT IS DISGUSTING.

They responded with “you cancelled before checking in.” Yes. We cancelled as we checked in. It was too late to cancel Friday night. So we cancelled the other 2 nights and then left. I have pictures of the state of the bed. Their staff needs to learn about personal hygiene. Another response was that they have received good reviews. Lol.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I’ve been a IHG rewards member for more than 5 years. In 2019 I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn Express 4 times. Turns out AAA discounts are better than actual Rewards Members discounts. When I just made my reservation for this week in Waltham/Boston as a Rewards member I was told I have the best rate but my wife looked online and found a better rate for AAA members. I called and had my reservation updated since I’m a AAA member. As an IHG Rewards member I expect to get points for each stay. I called IHG several times to inquire about my ZERO points balance after multiple stays and a 500 point bonus to listen to their vacation sales pitch for 20 min. Can’t get through to an Agent after multiple attempts. Waste of my time!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I went through priceline.com at 6:30 AM to find a hotel for my wife's birthday in Kansas City, MO. A message popped up from Intercontinental advertising a rate of $179. I filled out the request and entered my credit card number (even though it was not required). Later that morning (approximately 10:30 AM) I called Intercontinental Hotel at 401 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Mo. (816) 756-1500. I spoke to the front desk. They said I did not have a room for 4/27 to 4/28 and there were no vacancies. They referred me to a manager. The manager sent me back to the front desk. They said I was a "no show" for the previous day. It was then that I learned a mistake happened and I was booked for this hotel the previous day. I told them I booked in the morning of 4/27 and there was a mistake. I asked if I could have a room. They said the hotel was booked.

I was told by both Booking.com and Intercontinental Hotel (Kansas City, MO) they would both call me back at 2:00. There was no phone call. I waited. I tried to call back. My phone calls were dropped. I reached the front desk, and they switched me to a manager. It went round and round until I was dropped again. I called back. I was told the manager was gone and I would have to call back Monday.

I called back Monday morning at approximately 11 AM. I was told the manager was busy. I called back again. A phone call was left on my voicemail. This is when Mr. ** became involved. I thought the message was from the General manager since I was told only the GM could refund this charge. ** left the wrong phone number. I called back and left him a message.

I called back to speak to the General Manager, hoping to get a more reasonable response. I was unable to reach anyone, and no one returned my calls. I was being ignored. My wife drove me to the hotel, where I hoped to speak to the General Manager in person. I was told ** was in a team meeting that could last for between 30 minutes to an hour. I was told ** was in the same meeting. I provided my cell phone number and that of my wife. I waited for them to return. After 40 minutes and following a discussion with my credit card company, we left.

I received a phone call while my wife and I were shopping. Mr. ** began speaking in a business-like fashion, but the conversation got nowhere and it disintegrated to combative. Mr. ** was rude and insistent that nothing would be done. Mr. ** his records indicated I booked the hotel room on 4/26 at 11 PM. I assured him I did not. He was insistent.

I called Booking.com. I asked the representative what date and time it was when I booked the appointment. The representative said her records indicated it was on 4/27/19 at 6:30 AM. I asked if she could stay online so I could share this information. At 4:30 PM, I asked my wife to drive me to the hotel where I could speak in person to the General Manager. As soon as I entered, I was approached by the General Manager. **. ** asked me to leave the property immediately. I advised ** I was booked 4/27/19 at 6:30. It did not seem to matter.

My wife was parked in the garage. I texted her to come back and get me. I never heard from her. Mr. ** continued to accuse me of being disruptive. I told him it was not disruptive because I was explaining to him a discrepancy that could be easily resolved. ** said it was their policy to not refund the money and referred the charge as a "no show" fee (which was exactly the same price as I accepted for the cost of a hotel stay). I called the police to register a complaint. I advised ** he was committing theft through illegal taking and fraud. I waited for my wife to return and to meet the police. At this time I was outside and my wife pulled up across the street.

Two police officers arrived at approximately 5 PM. Mr. ** met them before me. I have a cane, so I waited until he was done. Then I approached the officers and told them I was the person who called in the report. They took the information. They advised me the General Manager said I was not trespassing and had to go. I told them I was waiting to speak to them and my wife was about to pick me up. The officers advised me to call the Better Business Bureau and complain to the Intercontinental Corporate Office.

My wife drove me off the property. I called the Intercontinental Hotel Corporate offices. I was dropped on one call. I called back and was placed on hold. I told the representative what happened. She said she had to put me in touch with the correct department. After waiting 14 and a half minutes, our phone call disconnected again. I immediately called back. I spoke to the representative and she told me to wait on hold. After 7 minutes I was told someone would call me back. It is now 7:16, and no one has returned the call.

Original review: April 22, 2019

IHG rewards points are a false advertisement. I have been given the false promise from three different reps that redirect me to someone else when I try to claim my points. They habitually redirect the issue with promises and no action (booking the rewards nights).

Original review: April 16, 2019

IHG rewards is a SCAM!!! I have stayed numerous times at their hotels and I get ZERO point every time. My family and I stayed at the Intercontinental hotel in Guatemala city for 18 nights and I got NOTHING on my rewards. SHAME ON YOU IHG FOR RUNNING SUCH A SCAM!!!!

Original review: April 15, 2019

My credit card was used on IHG points. I am not a member. I called to inquire and the next thing I know, the guy I was talking to was talking about buying Cokes at Walmart and managing 5000 hotels. When I told him he was not really helping and I would be calling my bank, he said yes, do that because he can't help me. Apparently my card number was used on some "package". The Coke comment was to explain to me what a package is. It was the weirdest call I've experienced in a long time. I'm not a member of IHG. Someone fraudulently used my card. I could only provide the information on my bank statement, and the guy was frustrated that I didn't tell him specifically what I bought. He also questioned where I got their phone number (Um, Google). It was surreal. Good luck to anyone else who has to deal with him. He gave me the name of John and said he was the manager. Sure thing, John.

Intercontinental Hotels Company Information