3.9/5 (449 ratings)

About Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

This airline is not at all service oriented. They serve a ham sandwich for breakfast/lunch, but refuse to provide vegetarian and kosher options for travelers that cannot eat a ham sandwich. Extremely discriminatory; if you serve food it needs to be provided for EVERYONE! Charging for blankets/pillow really? Cabin was freezing cold. Will never fly Hawaiian Airlines again. AVOID!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I had a travel credit from Covid. I was told I could not book directly online. I called to book on 12/30/22 and 12/31/22. It was now New Year’s Eve day and approaching expiration date and Hawaiian Airlines was very busy. I called numerous times between 2pm-10pm. I contacted the chat line between 12/30-12/31. Lines busy for hours and I finally got through after an hour and a half. I told the agent to call me back in case we got disconnected. The agent on the call began to book my trip, put me on hold a bunch and then the call dropped. The agent never called back. I called and got a busy signal some more. I emailed, used help chat, called back for several days trying to book my trip.

9 days later I get an email confirmation of a flight I never confirmed and when I called Hawaiian airlines, they tell me the credit has expired and the flight cannot be rebooked. I had called and emailed almost daily trying to get this resolved only to get the runaround from Reservations to Consumer Affairs… all agents or supervisors either abruptly “dropping the call” or reading off a script. I am a Hawaiian Airlines member and am unable to see the itinerary they booked for me in my account. Hawaiian airlines won’t take responsibility for completing a booking without my confirming. I would not book a non refundable flight without insurance, especially during unprecedented times. I keep calling Hawaiian Airlines back, emailing their various departments and I don’t want to lose my $436. I’m just trying to get this rebooked. I’m a single mother who works full time and take care of my elderly parents… I love my life and trying to take a vacation. Please help.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

Note: the 1 Star rating is for my complaint re my flight credits only. I have been a Hawaiian Airlines customer for many years. I have always placed them high on my list to fly with when going to Hawaii. The staff are great and the process with no complaints. My complaint is that prior to Covid I booked 3 flights online through Hawaiian Airlines direct which I upgraded. As Covid got worse I received an email from Hawaiian Airlines saying the flights were canceled due to Covid. This is fully understandable and not the issue. That email was possibly close to 2 years ago. A month or 2 ago I rang Hawaiian Airlines to try and get a refund for the flights and they advised me that I had credits for the flights and if I wanted cash I had to email a section at Hawaiian and see if it was possible.

I changed my mind and decided to keep the credits and on the 2nd January, 2023 I rang Hawaiian Airlines direct to rebook my flights & told them the dates I wanted to go in September 2023 and use the credits and pay any difference. They told me that the credits expired on the 31st December, 2022 (2 days late). The lady told me how to email them in hope that I could use my flights. What is wrong with this whole scenario is a service was paid for and I am being denied to use it. As for the expiry of the credits I am not saying that the date wasn't in the email 2 years ago I obviously just didn't read it properly or forgot. Mistakes can be made.

I am a full-time 12hr shift worker for emergency services and I have to book my leave 1 year ahead. I understand airlines lost a lot of money during covid but I also know every other year they make plenty of money. I then sent an email to the complaints line to appeal the decision & and they have emailed me saying that they can't process it as their system can't process expired credits. This goes against the email they first sent me that said we have extended the credits twice already and that was not generosity that would have been because Covid was still an issue. Just so you are aware I was very polite on all my conversations and emails with Hawaiian Airlines so that wouldn't be an issue. I would appreciate my flight credits being reinstated so that I can have my family holiday which has been on hold due to Covid.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

I booked tickets w/Hawaiian Airlines. Fare was $230 round-trip from Phx to Honolulu. When I clicked on the from $230 price it gave me multiple seating options to choose from, first class, main cabin basic, main cabin, etc. Each option had a price listed with "round-trip" beneath the price. I selected the main cabin option with the option to change flights. The price shown was $275 round-trip. I picked seats and was taken to the confirmation screen. I began to review the info and saw that the itinerary now said the flights were one way tickets. Confused I thought I had somehow missed the return flight info. I checked through everything and even starting over from the calendar w/ pricing to see if I missed the return flight info.

Reread everything making sure I hadn't made a mistake and that these were listed as round-trip tickets. Couldn't figure out what I was missing. Tried to get help on chat it said I was connected but there was no rep there. Didn't want to miss the deal so I purchased the tickets. 20-30min later I got a chat msg. Rep said they wouldn't honor the round-trip price. Price was for 1 way tickets.

Spoke with their Facebook rep and they repeated these were 1 way tickets even when I sent pics showing round-trip listed all over. Tried to contact by email and text as well w/ no response I only had 24hrs to get refund or be stuck w/one way tickets. It was made very clear I would not get refund after 24hrs. Fought all day with them and they refused to offer what was advertised. Had them refunded at last min as I couldn't be stuck w/ 1 way tickets. Got an email response 2day that said since the tickets were refunded they wouldn't do anything for me. This was absolutely a bait and switch deal. They used the 24hr refund policy to get me to cancel the tickets so they could say there is no deal to honor now.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

I had booked a R/T flight on Hawaiian Airlines. Due to the increased Travel Advisory due to Covid, I didn't take the initial trip and was granted an extension for my airfare (over $2,000 for tickets) until Dec 31, 2022. I was planning to take a trip in November and use the credit, however as I live in Florida and my parents live in Sanibel Island FL, our homes were severely impacted by Hurricane Ian - total devastation in Sanibel FL. I reached out to Hawaiian airlines asking for another extension - not my money back but only another extension due to the situation caused by Hurricane Ian. I received the following message back from them via email:

Email from Hawaiian Airlines to me... "Thank you for taking the time to contact Hawaiian Airlines. We completely understand your circumstance, but we are unable to accommodate your request.

Please be advised that we already extended your travel credit so you can use it for your future flight. Your reservation is covered by our COVID-19 Travel Waiver, and the travel credit must be used and flight must commence no later than December 31, 2022. Therefore an extension of your travel credit is not permitted.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concern and thank you for choosing Hawaiian Airlines."

I had other travel credits expiring this year with other airlines and hotels - all of them issued another extension and provided their sincere wishes on recovery from my situation. Not only did Hawaiian not grant me an extension but they also did it with any lack of compassion or sincerity. I find all of this beyond acceptable and I hope they realize in the end that they were wrong.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I am VERY disappointed in Hawaiian Airlines. Their customer service line is one of the worst things I have ever experienced in regard to getting assistance from a business. Over the past two weeks, I have tried to book my flight on their website and unable to due to a glitch with my name and KTN number. I have spoken to multiple people and get bounced around from person to person. Having to constantly repeat myself. You get generic responses from them either via phone or email. Ever since Hawaiian outsourced its customer service line, it's been very bad. No one cares and their so-called "supervisors" are pathetic and don't LISTEN to your concerns. All I hear is that there is nothing they can do or they will say we can book it on our end. That is not what I want to hear. No compassion. You wonder why more and more people are switching over to Southwest. Hawaiian Airlines NEED to get their act together.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

On 2/23/2020, my wife and I booked two round trip tickets from Honolulu to Kailua-Kona for 4/12/20 and returning 4/15/2020 as part of a Hawaiian Airlines / Hawaiian Holidays package. In March 2020, the hotel part of the package notified us that they were no longer accepting check-ins. We cancelled the airline tickets on 03/13/2020 and Hawaiian Airlines gave us a travel credit of $227.72. On 8/13/2022, we called Hawaiian Airlines paid an extra $100.28 on top of the travel credit to buy two tickets that the ticket agent said were "refundable" for a round trip 9/14/22 flight from Honolulu to Kailua-Kona. Due to time constraints we had to cancel that reservation. Hawaiian Airlines now says that we have two $164 travel credits apiece. Now Hawaiian Airlines will not reimburse us the $100.28 that we paid extra for "refundable" tickets. Nor will they allow one of us to "transfer" one of the $164 travel credits to one spouse.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Would give them 0 if I could. The most unfriendly staff I ever experienced. Did not want to help me at all. I had a refundable 1st class ticket from United Airlines which included a leg on Hawaii airlines from Kona to Honolulu. We got to the airport 3 hours ahead of the flight cause we were told to by Hawaiian airlines. I had back surgery 2 months ago and sitting outside in the heat was not ideal. When I asked to be switched to an earlier flight I was told NO, even though there were seats available. I even told them that I will forgo my first class and will sit in coach and still rudest "no", I ever heard. I will never use this airline ever again. Southwest does flights between islands too.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

From abandoning our dog at the airport in HNL to losing our luggage, to gaslighting, to lying. Hawaiian Airlines tops these categories. We flew Hawaiian from SFO to HNL for our move to island. We are a military family stationed in Honolulu. We checked our luggage with Hawaiian Airlines and board the plane. The flight itself was nice but when we landed, the nightmare began.

We flew with one dog in cabin and one in cargo. The airline once in HNL is to escort your pet in cargo to the quarantine center but that's not what happened. Instead, my husband, our 1 yr old, and myself are escorted to quarantine for our pet we brought in cabin. He is then checked and cleared. We ask about our pet in cargo and if he is ready and they inform us that he hasn't made it to the quarantine center yet (it had already been an hour since our plane landed and our pet in cargo isn't there yet?). So we head over to baggage claim to gather our 14 pieces of luggage and this is when we notice our dog (that flew in cargo) was left completely unattended in baggage claim. There was a crowd of people swarming him, poking at his crate with no Hawaiian Airline employee in site.

We were told by our friend (who had no clue that was our pet) that he saw Hawaiian Airline employee shove him off the elevator and leave him there. So, we clear the path and check on him and husband is calling around trying to figure out what went wrong and what to do. The quarantine center wouldn't allow us (owners) to escort our pet to quarantine, they said the airline needs to. But they abandoned him in baggage claim....

Time goes by and we are waiting for someone to address our concerns and get our pet to quarantine. We notice a crucial piece of our luggage is missing.

I head over to the Hawaiian Airlines baggage claim counter to find the missing luggage to which they inform me that all luggage has made it here and to wait longer as large items can come last. We wait 45 minutes and go back to the counter to which they say, "Wait longer."

We are now at a 2 hour mark of waiting for luggage, our pet hasn't been escorted to quarantine and the airline upon a third check informs me that the luggage actually never left SFO airport. What did they miss the first time? Then they have us fill out a claim form and a "manager", Michael, from the airline comes over to speak with my husband about the mishap with our dog. Ensures us this is not normal practice and honest mistake and that pets are never to be left unattended. He gives us his card and says, "Call with any concerns" (he never answered or returned our calls after we left that day). I call around and wait 3 hours with Hawaiian Airlines multiple times and never got to speak to anyone.

The SFO Hawaiian Airlines number would ring and hang up on you, Michael the manager locally won't return our calls. Our emails go unanswered as well. Completely ignored by the airline as a whole. I decided to look up contact info for CEO Peter Ingram and call him to which I leave a voicemail asking for a call back to discuss poor business practices. I actually got a call back and they needed to get off the phone and politely said they would call me back that day BUT never did.

8 days go by and I get a call from a Hawaiian Airlines rep informing me they have our missing luggage. She quickly puts blame on me insisting I checked my luggage in at American Airlines and never checked with Hawaiian. (How do we have a bag tag with Hawaiian! They confirmed the luggage never left SFO. We didn't pay for invisible luggage. We paid Hawaiian and literally says Hawaiian. Make it make sense). She says that the claim I submitted with my Hawaiian Airlines had a wrong tag on it so I must have checked at American. No. We didn't magically check all our luggage at Hawaiian, they put it on a belt and we take it off a belt to go recheck it at Another Terminal for an airline we aren't even flying.

When I pick up the missing luggage, I see clear as day our information (phone number) available for them to call and a sticky note where they say they called several times only to get fax machine sound. They wrote their version of our number on this note and it was written incorrectly. They tried to cover up any fault on their end and it was so poorly executed. So in total, lied to, gaslit, abandoned our pet, ignored by everyone at the airline. Nightmare. Still no apology or anything. Not even a sorry.

Original review: July 28, 2022

It has been 11 weeks since my suitcase was damaged on the flight from Honolulu to Hilo. I have a claim report number. On the service phone you never get out of the waiting loop, e-mails are not answered. this is an impertinence. Where can I enforce my rights?

Hawaiian Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information