2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.47/5

Hawaiian Airlines Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I had a fare on hold and paid $ for it and couldn't purchase it on line so I called the toll free number. The gentleman who answered spoke with a thick accent. It was hard to understand at time, especially when it came to the numbers. He also kept interrupting me. Very frustrating to say the least. They also charge separately for extra comfort and charge my card separately and I dont understand and of course they didnt know why. When I called back to make my purchase the accent and interrupting happened again and again. Would not like to talk to reservation center again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Hello - I have been traveling to HNL since I was a child. I recently celebrated my 41st birthday. It's only the last few years that I have flown Hawaiian. If I can afford it, why not? I have only ever selected Extra Comfort for my birthday trip. In 2016, the food was great! So pleasantly surprised. And I told everyone how great Hawaiian is. In the years following, Hawaiian has disappointed and embarrassed me as the food quality, at least in the extra comfort section, has gone down. I don't understand it. I pay a lot of money for seats on this airline and I can't get good service? And your snack mix? What is that? It's terrible. A little bag of Rold Gold pretzels would be better.

On my trip back from HNL to LAX this week, even your flight attendants, who have never disappointed, disappointed this week. Maybe they were just tired, but if you're in the service industry, you better do a lot better than this. To wrap things up here, we decided to watch a movie and were interrupted 4 times. It was almost pointless to watch anything with that many announcements. And they weren't even important. One was for a credit card. I don't have credit cards and I don't want any. Please do better. I want to love this airline. I did love this airline in 2016, but in the last few years, you make me think I'll be booking a new airline for my next birthday trip.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I cannot convey enough the amount of stress this journey put on me. This was hands down the WORST travel experience I have ever endured. I have an auto immune disease and the stress the Hawaiian Airline staff put on me has lead to me becoming quite literally physically ill. The Hawaiian Airline staff I encountered at Sydney Airport were uncommunicative, rude, unprofessional, haughty and condescending, especially the manager Leanne.

The first person I encountered to check in and drop my bags off was short with me, obviously wanting to rush through the check in (perhaps wouldn’t have needed to be done if they’d have opened the check in and bag drop counter on time). I couldn’t understand what the woman was requesting from me as her English wasn’t the best, so I politely asked several times for her to please repeat herself as to understand what was being requested of me. I was quickly shoved off to a so called manager, who gave me a poor explanation of what the issue was (to do with my having a one way ticket to the US as my partner and I are sailing back from Mexico on our yacht).

I have since researched and now know that a person cannot enter the US without a forwarding ticket (I had one, although mine was to Mexico which is one of the only countries not applicable on the ESTA visa waiver program). Whilst trying to ascertain what was needed to be checked onto the flight, the manager Leanne was extremely rude, uninterested, couldn’t give me a straight answer and very condescending. I was quite upset (crying, not angry) as I did not understand the situation and was concerned about not getting on the flight. Leanne had zero sympathy towards me, taking full advantage of my emotional state. She was cold, heartless and quite stuck up, as if I was wasting her time.

I asked Leanne whether I was able to contact Homeland Department of Security directly for more concise information, as I was clearly getting nowhere with her. She said that she didn’t advise it as my name would be “flagged,” wanting me to believe I’d be given hell in the US. It was basically a bloody threat. I was told I MUST buy a ticket out of Mexico in order to be let on the flight to the US, however Leanne was unable to give me the full details on why this needed to be done. I was extremely confused by this stage and unfortunately, very upset. I was stressing out that I wouldn’t make the flight and the tears were flowing. Leanne, the apparent psychopath, seemed unbothered by my being flustered and continued to treat me in a disgusting manner. Leanne made it clear that the only way I was going to be allowed to board my flight was if I bought a ticket out of Mexico.

She suggested an obscure place I’d never heard of (Bogotá) and told me to come back once I’d booked it to show her the ticket. I spent $184 on a ticket I will never use. Upon asking Leanne what I was to do if quizzed by US immigration about my plans, she told me I was to LIE. The manager of Hawaiian Airlines check in counter, told me to LIE to US immigration. Need I say more? I only wish I’d have recorded the conversation to implicate the haughty thing.

I cannot stress how CONDESCENDING and RUDE this woman was. She took advantage of my fragile state and abused her position of power. It was disgusting. I am normally a strong willed woman, however this piece of work managed to break me down (much to her satisfaction). All I needed was concise information, not to be ridiculed.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I called Hawaiian Airlines Reservation's telephone number today 11/22/2019 @ 2PM and inquired about a follow up about my reservation. The representative who I will not mention out of respect of privacy online was very aggressive and standoffish. She kept cutting me off while in the middle of a sentence and seemed very irritated. I did not get the answer I was looking for and waited for her to ask if I needed anything else and instead I got a nasty response in the Filipino dialect Ilocano and heard her basically say something around the perimeters of "this stupid idiot doesn't know anything about her reservation stupid **!" Mind you I live in Hawaii and I fully understand Tagalog and enough to understand Ilocano.

When she mentioned "**" which is the equivalent to the f word not knowing I was still online I became so distraught about the customer service experience standards of Hawaiian Airlines. No person should be cussing someone out especially in a different language on the phone while doing their job. I felt so much disrespect with what happened that I will never fly with Hawaiian Airlines ever again. Customer service is a big factor when doing business and this set the bar so low I am still quite baffled about it today. I asked for the supervisor and he apologized and mentioned he will give me a callback and if not him the quality assurance team will but I doubt they will call back as they try to avoid confrontation at best.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

If you are a US based Carrier/Corporation I believe you need to have US based customer service, Hawaiian Airlines CS is located in the Philippines, this becomes an issue when your CSR reps speaking broken English and are clearly having a hard time understanding the needs of the customer and conveying incorrect information. Setting up and or having to change travel plans can be very difficult and emotional for various reasons and there seems to be a total lack of concern and empathy for their customers.

Additionally their fees are another issue, charging a $200 ticket change fee is absolutely outrageous when the return trip you are trying to change is actually cheaper than the one you booked, on top of the fact that they are already a more expensive airline to fly and all the other fees they want to charge, $25 to transfer miles to a family member, higher ticket prices to book multiple tickets, etc. The spirit of "Aloha" and sense of "Ohana" may only exist after they have separated you from more of your money than other airlines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Our experience with Hawaiian airlines was horrible! Customer service is nonexistent! Our flight was almost 8 hours delayed and all we got is a sorry and here $100 off your next flight. I don’t want to fly with you next time if you treat your customer that way. I had 4mo old, 3yr old and 6yr old with me. We boarded the plane, sat on the plane for 2 hours then had to deplane and sit in the airport with 3 kids for another 6 hours. I paid extra to fly Hawaiian to be home from our Maui vacation at a reasonable hour. Instead we spent the entire day in that airport and came home stressed and exhausted at 2am. When calling customer affairs I was basically told that $100 off is a fair offer for ruining my day with 3 little children. Never flying with them again. They didn’t even try to make the situation right. Oh and they damaged my car seat.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I had been diagnosed with a stage 4 cancer and we planned a last minute trip to Hawaii with our son. After successfully booking our flights, we assumed all was in order. Unfortunately, our flight was cancelled 17 hours before the scheduled take off by merely sending an email (no phone call alerting us of the situation). Fortunately I checked emails beforehand or we would not have known and would have arrived at Long Beach airport the next morning expecting to take a flight to Honolulu! We were flying on Jet Blue from Salt Lake City to Long Beach the night prior (8/31/2019) in order to be in the Long Beach area in the morning for the flight. The cancellation email did not offer us any alternatives such as "we can reroute you" and no mention of refunding our approx. $1,500.00 -- it simply stated that the flight had been cancelled!

My son, who had never been to Hawaii was so sad because he had looked forward to this trip!!! I then frantically searched the internet to find another flight, but realized we had already paid for this flight so I called Hawaiian Airlines and was told that they can reroute us to leave from San Diego instead of Long Beach, but that it would cost an additional $50.00 per person (x3) = $150.00 regardless of the circumstance. When we arrived at Long Beach we had to tell the car rental company (Enterprise) that we were not returning the vehicle to Long Beach, but to San Diego. Instead of it costing us the original quoted amount of $78.30, it now cost us $149.82 (almost twice the amount).

We understand that things happen, however, we were not notified of the cancellation in a reasonable manner (no phone call) only an email which I don't always check. Hawaiian Airlines should have accommodated us without additional fees, especially if we were being inconvenienced due to no fault of our own (we now had to travel to San Diego for the flight) and had to pay extra for a car rental because the vehicle was not being dropped off at the same location.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I was going to Hawaii only because a girlfriend wanted a travel companion; however, due to sudden family illness, I had to cancel my trip. In 3 different phone calls, agents said tickets could be reused to fly anywhere Hawaiian Airlines flies. They gave examples like Vegas or New York. The website route map gives the impression one has many options. Living in Los Angeles, I tried to book for New York, where I have relatives. I was then told I had to fly to HONOLULU on at least one leg of the trip, because Hawaiian uses "partners" (in this case, Jet Blue) from LA to NY. Using a "partner" does not count for reusing the tickets. The agent finally admitted that, to reuse the ticket (which also involved a $200 change fee), I had to FLY TO HONOLULU.

It is absolutely ludicrous to fly 5 hours WEST and BACK to then GO EAST!! Because the deadline to re-book was near, I ended up making travel plans to visit Hawaii, which I have to do ALONE and I don't know anyone in Hawaii. I will never book with Hawaiian Airlines again. They waste travelers' time giving piecemeal information and hold travelers hostage to go to Hawaii.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

This post is to just make other aware of an issue we have encountered. We do not travel till April 2020. We booked an Hawaiian Airways flight from Honolulu to LV. This is a once in a lifetime holiday on retirement. When the fares became available we had set dates we had to work to. We booked 2 economy flights at $418 per person. Two months later the same flights are $291 per person. We were always under the impression if you booked early and paid in full a fair price would be given. Hawaiian Airlines do have a Gaf policy and will refund the monies less $40 per person admin charge even though the e-tickets are on the same email. NOTE THIS IS NOT USABLE AGAINST ANY OTHER SERVICES E.G. BAGGAGE.

This also has to be used within 12 months and as we are travelling a very long way from England is not a feasible option either. Hawaiian airlines do not negotiate at all. Therefore if you intend to book a flight with them do not expect good customer service for booking early. I have had conversations with others looking to travel highlighting the above.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

We book a flight out of San Diego first class to Lihue, pick our seats, airbus a330 with lay down seats, only to find out that they change planes to a321. We were not notified of this change. We just happened to check flight status and found out of the change, paid more for the lay down seats. We called about changing cities with the a330 flies out of, they said we would have to pay the fare difference. What a way to run an airline BAIT AND SWITCH. The six (6) of us will not fly Hawaiian anymore. What a joke, no courtesy to Inform us of this change, fly UNITED.

Not sure about Hawaiian Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Hawaiian Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

• Best for: Vacationers and holiday travelers.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information