3.54/5

254 Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2019

It is very upset and frustrating when travel a long trip from Boston to Honolulu and has a connection to go to Kona, however, your flight has been changed without prior notice and communication. We arrive for our connection on time and was until we were going through the gates that we learned the flight was changed. Customer service was not helpful and I am still waiting for management to address my questions and concerns. I would definitely not travel or recommend this company again.

Original review: May 1, 2019

When my Mom Traveled back Home to Hawaii, Oahu this morning 04/30/19 from San Jose Airport at 9 am Flight #HA 43, I Confirmed with ticket Agent she needs wheelchair service. She said, ""Dont worry. You already booked for HANDICAP WHEELS CHAIR SERVICE from airplane to curbside." When she landed my Mom waited 30 mins for wheelchair service. No one came to get her. She had to walk to terminal #1 baggage claim. About a mile walk. In pain.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Horrible customer service! Check in refused to accept my surfboard bag because the measured the bag to be 1 inch over the maximum even though it was specified by the manufacturer to be 9’-6” board bag. We almost missed our flight due to their lack of understanding. NOT REASONABLE PEOPLE. Extremely rude and unhelpful.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I travel Hawaiian Airlines 2-3 times a week. No bags and Elite Hawaiian Airline status. I say this only to emphasize my experience with traveling Hawaiian Airlines and maneuvering the Honolulu airport. I showed up to my gate between 8:10-8:15 am, departure time was 8:34. The doors were already locked. I went to the customer service desk and spoke with Lufi who was immediately rude and argumentative.

She claimed they did not close the doors early. I asked her what time they close the doors and she said 10 minutes before departure. I asked her what time that was because I believe they closed the doors early. She would not answer my question. Her words were that I was upset because I missed my flight and that it’s my own fault. I seriously have never experienced a service rep more rude in all my travel. I asked to speak with her supervisor and when he got there she continued to bully her supervisor! She yelled at me in front of him.

Ignored him when he was talking. I told her she was lying about what time they closed the boarding and that they closed boarding early. She started yelling,” No you’re the one lying!” It was shocking to see an employee acting like this in front of her supervisor! Her supervisor Em didn’t know what to say other than asked me to email a complaint to consumer affairs.

Employees like this should be fired. She could have easily taken care of the situation in a professional way, starting with being honest that they closed the doors early followed with an explanation of why. Then I would understand but instead she told me I was late, I was mad because I missed my flight, and would not answer my questions. Lufi is not the typical Hawaiian Airlines employee. She is rude and I’ve never encountered someone with such antagonizing behavior while traveling in my life. If you have a problem with Lufi please know you are not alone and report her to Consumer Affairs so she doesn’t continue to get away with disrespecting her supervisor and customers.

Original review: April 5, 2019

BUYER BEWARE- Hawaiian Airlines has taken to misrepresenting seat availability so that customers will think they are seated separately from their party and that the only option is to pay to upgrade if you want seats together. THIS IS A DECEPTION. I was just swindled out of $160 to find a less than half full plan even though they indicated during the check in process that no seats were available without additional fees. THEY ARE CON ARTISTS! Go with literally any other airlines you can. I would give them a zero rating if I could.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: April 3, 2019

I purchased 4 flights to Maui with miles and credit card. Quickly realized it was cheaper to NOT use miles. Canceled the trip and rebooked without miles. They refunded the credit card price but refused to refund the miles. $1770!!! I contested it with my credit card company and Hawaiian denied. Then...wait it gets better. I tried to use those miles to add a child to the vacation to Maui and the online process froze after I submitted my credit card. I called them and they said they see the reservation but my credit card didn’t go through. They said I now have less miles than the flight requires and want me to purchase additional miles! Which I now know are not refundable.

I say check again because I had plenty of miles. “Oh oh oh, here it is ma’am”. And they proceed to finish the reservation and give me the ticket code, which I am unable to pull up on my computer. After several tries to see the receipt and several “oh oh oh ma’am try this” I finally saw a receipt and still feel I took it up the **. I will never fly with them again! Someone needs to investigate!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Flying to Hawaii first class, the only way to fly. Cabin crew's friendly, polite, and attentive. Flights from West Coast to Hawaii are conveniently scheduled. Aircraft appear to be in good repair. Ground personnel friendly and efficient.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Excellent customer service and meals. Have always been accommodated for special needs (handicapped). Employees stress the Aloha Spirit. Always on time and the value offered for fares are comparable to other airlines.

Original review: March 2, 2019

The ticket I purchased from Hawaiian Airlines was a one stop flight. The flight from New York (JFK) to Las Vegas (LAS) was with JetBlue and the second flight from Las Vegas (LAS) to Honolulu (HNL) was with Hawaiian Airlines. The layover time in LAS was an hour. I purchased the ticket at Hawaiian Airlines. So, the entire arrangement was made by the Hawaiian Airlines. Me and my husband arrived in JFK at around 6PM and received our ticket from JetBlue. 5 minutes after we received our ticket, I received a text message from JetBlue - noting that the flight had 2 hours delay.

This automatically caused us to miss our flight in Las Vegas to Hawaii. We called Hawaiian Airline and they changed our flight to following morning from JFK. This experience caused us extra cost on transportation and one day delay in Hawaii which was the purpose of trip. We contacted Hawaiian Airlines for reimbursement of the extra expenses caused by the delay on the first flight and they asked us to contact JetBlue which was arranged by Jet Blue and purchase was made in Hawaiian Airline’s website. In the meantime, we did reach out to JetBlue Airlines and they told us we should be reimbursed by Hawaiian Airlines. The entire experience has been a nightmare with Hawaiian Airlines.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Just to verify my travels I fly Ohana Air which is run by Hawaiian Airlines and fly Hawaiian to the continental US. I fly round trip at least four times a year to another island and try to make it once a year to the US, every time I fly I experience the same thing... (frustration!) I am so frustrated with the long lines and confusion that I had to write a review.

First of all I am a local of Hawaii and believe in local first. Hawaiian is a local company and love flying Hawaiian but getting to that point is downright ridiculous!!! As an example: Just this weekend I flew to Lanai (a stone throw away). I got there 3 hours early expecting lines and delays and lucky I did. After checking in with the automated check ins which is a great idea and even if there is a lot of people there, you still don't have to wait but two people in front of you and you can always find someone there friendly to help you, if you have any problems. That is acceptably and great. But after you're done with that then the confusion starts, from there you have to drag your bags all the way to the other end of the lobby for your bag drop... (Why not make the inter-island bag drop right there) Then people could go straight to TSA.

Right now I think you had the Japan or International lines there, you know that most local people are hitting the dropoff in the beginning why not put the Japan and International flights at the end on the terminal? After a few drops the buses and taxi's would know exactly where to drop people off just by their destination. Carrying/lugging your bags through all the lines of people causes more confusion, workers actually have to stop a lines just to let people by to get to another line... They direct you go outside of the lobby and come back in just to get around the TSA check point. It was raining, and everyone outside waiting in line got wet. There has to be a better way! It's ridiculous!

With all the overhead $$$'s you have made over the past years, I would have thought your CEO's/engineers would have came up with ideas to make passengers experience better. From what I see it has gotten worse... Hawaiian Air has/had the market cornered especially on inter island flights. I would have hoped they came up with something by now to take care of the local people. Like Alaska Air does, just as long as you can present a local Alaska ID, your bags fly free, and you may change your flight at no cost. (Take care of the Kupuna's, they are the ones that would stay loyal). Now with SouthWest entering the market and the feeling that Hawaiian has been taking us locals to the cleaners for all this time. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say "I'm not sure if I want to fly Hawaiian?" You guys gotta get your act together and soon! Disappointed traveler.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

So we arrive early morning for our flight which was delayed but we were okay with. My son's allergies had been flared up all weekend while we were there. I had been giving him ** the whole weekend and he was fine. But he’s a 2 year old who can’t properly clear out his mucus like an adult. So he swallowed too much of it and choked and threw up his mucus. Other than that he was fine, no fever no nothing. Well he happened to do it all in front of the check in ladies. I cleaned it up and it was pure mucus and he was fine after that, he ate and drank with no problem. Just allergies making him feel crappy just like any other person who has them.

Hawaiian Airlines called MedLife and she deemed us unfit to fly. Granted no one actually came to physical assess him. This was all done through the phone. But before she said we couldn’t fly they allowed us to go to the gate and sit there until 5 mins before boarding to tell us we couldn’t fly. Her words were “not recommended”, my husband came over and told me and I said I don’t care if it’s not recommended, we need to be back there because my husband is active duty military and we need to go home cause his pass ends tonight. Well she then says again it’s not recommended and we’re basically on a 24 hour hold. So we had to beg to get our stuff off the plane because our car seats were on the plane already. That took forever as well to even get it. She doesn’t give us new flight information and just says she’ll put it in the system and to come back at the same time tomorrow.

So I called Hawaiian Airlines and after the run around, I was told nothing was in the system and they were gonna charge us $251 PER PERSON for flight change. I went off asking why? I was forced off this flight and told to come back tomorrow, to where he tells me over the phone they have to charge but to just show up tomorrow and things should be free.

Flash Forward to the next morning, we get up at 4:45. Get there around 5:25... Plane takes off at 7:40. Get to the desk and NOTHING WAS IN THE SYSTEM. Now we wait an hour to get things situated. No one has the number to MedLife to clear my son to fly... Again no one came to see him. No one is trained to do this whole give us new tickets and waive the fee. So we sat there with two year old twins trying to get tickets. We get tickets but no seats have been assigned.

For both this flight and our layover flight. End of the day we made it on the flight and now I’ll never fly Hawaiian. Their customer service needs a lot of work.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Everything seemed ok to begin with, but then 5 minutes before the plane was to begin boarding, all the passengers were told to step out of line and that a “malfunction” had been identified on the plane and needed to be addressed. I thought nothing of it at first, until we were notified that they would have to fly the part in from Seattle to Phoenix. Later I found out that this specific plane had landed in Phoenix at 10:00 P.M the previous night. It was kind of weird that they just discovered something so serious that it grounded the plane for over 7 hours 5 minutes before boarding and not at 10:00 when the plane landed the previous night.

One would hope that safety would be their top priority as they claim. But instead of running a safety inspection when the plane landed they waited until it was time to leave, and if a safety inspection had been accomplished when the plane landed then it was conducted improperly, proving that safety is not their top priority. And if safety was so important to Hawaiian Airlines and they proudly preach, why would they not have spares of such an integral part of the plane. Why did they have to order it from Seattle. Why did I have to wait for them to order it, package it, load it on a plane, fly it out, unload it, install it and test it with no guarantee that it would even work.

We were delayed over 7 hours due to their failure to safely and properly maintain their plane. Then to make matters even worse, while we were on the plane my wife began to feel nauseous and felt like she was going to throw up. I kindly asked a flight attendant if they had any nausea medicine on board and he said “I’ll check for you” and I never saw the flight attendant after that. It would have been one thing had they not had any but to not even return to the customer and help a passenger feeling ill is outrageous.

Then we land and I file a complaint with their customer service department and the individual I dealt with was rude and inconsiderate and all they offer is a $100 credit towards a future flight within 1 year. So to break it down that’s $50 for me and $50 for my wife, we were delayed 7 hours so that’s equates to roughly $7 an hour for both of us. And they called it appropriate compensation. Let me ask you, is it appropriate that after you spend almost $2,000 on flying with them and dealing with all the safety issues and lack of customer service that they give you $7 an hour for something that should’ve never happened in the first place. This was by far the worst customer service and Airline that I’ve experienced to date. I deserve better, you deserve better and for that I’ll never recommend Hawaiian Airlines.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I wish I knew of this site after our trip over the Summer this past August 2018! My family and I went back to Hawaii to celebrate my birthday and visit family and friends. It was a beautiful trip and a 1st trip back in 12 years for us! We loved it up until our departure home. We had a mix-up with our Turo guy and he never came to get his car keys from me at the time we agreed on. I asked the gate agent if I could leave it with her to give to him and she told me to wait while she called someone. I told my family to go ahead and board the plane 1st. I had assumed that someone was coming to the keys from me but boy was I wrong!

I waited there at the gate for about 10 minutes for someone to come with a yellow/orange vest and she immediately rudely told me that she was NOT taking the keys and that I should have left them at “Will call” down at check in!!! Well, heck WHY didn’t the gate agent just TELL ME that so that I could’ve gone over there and dropped it off?! So...here I am STUCK at the gate with the car keys and car of the Turo guy who never showed up and my family is already on the plane!!! I finally got in touch with the guy about the key and he said to just send it to him and get on the plane. He had an extra key. During the time I was talking with him trying to figure things out with the car and keys the gate agents CLOSED the doors on me and I couldn’t board the plane!!!

I was so upset that Hawaiian Airlines would treat a customer that way. Especially when I truly felt it was a situation that could’ve been handled in a better way from the start and NOT lead to me missing my flight. Had I just been informed from the beginning to go back to the check-in desk to leave the keys everything would’ve been fine.

My husband sent me a text message with a video of my poor daughter crying looking for me and repeating “I want Mama.” This just tore my heart out and has really made me feel bitter towards Hawaiian Airlines. Ohana is supposed to mean FAMILY where NOBODY gets left behind... I guess they not only NOT believe in Aloha but also Ohana. To make matters even worse I’ve written emails to Hawaiian Airlines and on their website and I’ve gotten ZERO response. Maybe a little completion from Southwest Airlines will do them good. I’m sure they’ll learn very quickly how to be humbled.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

When I got to the airport, in Las Vegas, I saw a message on my phone. It said that the flight was delayed. So, they let us check in and was I was told the delayed time. So, I went to the waiting area and waited, like all the passengers that was there. The flight was for 2am, to Honolulu. So, it was like they said we were leaving like 3am, don't know exact time. Then they said like we were going at 5am, don't know exact time. Then they offered us rooms at a nearby hotel, but you had to find your own transportation. Why couldn't the transport everyone to the hotel with a bus or something. Then they kept changing the time of departure, not letting us know why. They gave us a voucher for breakfast and said we would be compensated for the delay.

So, when we finally boarded, about 9 or 10 something in the morning, they handed out travel vouchers worth $100. One per family, not one per person. I would think they should have given out a voucher per person. Because, each person bought a ticket, not one ticket per family. What's wrong with Hawaiian Air, telling us they take care of their passengers then turnaround and stab them in the back. Then in Honolulu, I was told by a supervisor that there was a death on the plane and had to sanitize the aircraft, that's why it took so long. So why didn't they say that in the beginning, instead of saying nothing and let us suffer.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

We contacted Hawaiian Airlines reservation services to change a reservation. Their reservation service is located in Manila and we were told that there was no local number to call to speak to someone locally. We were quoted 149.40$ last night to change the reservation per person. We wanted to think about it and we woke up and decided to go ahead with the change.

The first representative wasn't good in English and after making us repeat many times certain informations and not being able to help us I ask if I could talk to someone that would be able to understand me and who speak better English. I was told to call back because calls where randomly answered. I call back. I was quoted 149 plus the difference in fares. Which was now another 480$ per passenger. I told her that it wasn't what we were told. She apologize but told us prices changes with the availability. I wasn't satisfied and told her that it sounded more that it changes according to whom we spoke too. I called 5 minutes later spoke to someone else still in Manila. Now the prices was 200$ plus 480$ for the difference in fare per person.

We decided to stick to the tickets we already have. It is very disappointing to be quoted different prices depending to whom answer and to have to deal with people who aren't locally based. I understand that company wants to save money but Hawaiian Airlines is known to not be one of the cheapest airlines and they can't even have the decency to have a local number to call when we have problems. Second why is it that this company has the monopoly on flying direct fly from French Polynesia to Hawaii. It doesn't help with price competition and we have no choice that taking that company unless we want to swim there. Their customer service is disappointing.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

On our return flight from Maui after a wonderful trip into LAX on the 27th of December a child and his father and sibling were sitting close to us. The younger child which looked old enough to behave did nothing but scream and yell and cry the entire flight. The flight attendants did not say a word to the parent so in turn this brat was a nuisance and disturbed everyone on this flight. I don't understand why not a word was said by the attendants to the parent? I made it clear to one of the flight attendants how disturbing this was to all. She just smiled! Parents make your children behave!! And it would not hurt for the flight attendants to say something!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Calling HA customer service is about as helpful as having a 3 year old answer the phone. Whilst they are polite, they rarely understand the problem, look everything up and give conflicting information in one call. I've cried trying to get an answer for them. I do not understand why HA doesn't address this ** aspect of their business. Once you get to the airport it is mildly better but the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing! I too have had the experience of them cancelling my flight and taking a month to respond re a refund as they were back up over a month with complaints...and therein lies the problem right... Southwest will fly to Hawaii soon... Hope HA picks up their game by then.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

We took a nonstop flight from JFK-HNL last month for a medical conf. in HNL. Since we were vegetarians, I decided to call the airline ahead of time to request veg meals. The first call was dropped after waiting 20 minutes on hold. Second time, we requested to speak to a supervisor or Manager, the rep. kept insisted that they will have the same answer, so don't waste your time. I finally got a Manager on the line who insisted to e-mail my request which we did. A week later, we received an e-mail stating that, such an option was NOT available on their domestic flight.

We are at a loss on even providing a simple green salad for people who are stuck in the plane for 10+ hrs. NOT AN OPTION. VERY UNFAIR. When I reminded them of the nonstop flight from JFK-HNL takes more than 10 hrs their answer was, "Bring your own food." It was not an option for us because we live two hours away from the airport and the departure time was early in the morning. All the STAFF I spoke ON THE PHONE or interacted on e-mail were outright nasty and very unprofessional. We will definitely fly to HNL, not flying Hawaiian Airlines for sure. So, stay away from flying this airline if you are vegetarians.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I telephoned Hawaiian Airlines November 23, 2018 for lounge information for my pending first/business class departure from LAS (McCarran Airport, Las Vegas, NV). After about three hours on the phone, I got the "runaround", bad information, and, finally found that Hawaiian Airlines has NO LOUNGE AVAILABILITY AT LAS. My first call was "dropped" while on hold for the representative checking lounge access for me.

My second call ended up with a supervisor. After over a half hour on hold while he checked for a lounge at LAS, he came back and offered a call back because he couldn't find out, needed to research further. He called back shortly and advised that HA doesn't have its own lounge at LAS, the lounge HA passengers access at LAS is run by the Airport Authority. He told me to call McCarran Airport Information at 702-261-5211 for more information. I don't understand why someone at HA wouldn't make that call and tell me, very poor service, especially for a premium cabin passenger.

I called MAI, which advised that the lounge in terminal 3 which HA flies out of is "The Club At LAS", phone 702-261-1951. Unfortunately, The Club At LAS doesn't include HA. It serves many other airlines, including (but not limited to) British, Virgin, Aeromexico, Alaska, Korean Air, etc. but NOT HA. So other airlines provide premium cabin passengers a lounge but HA does not. Note - Any passenger can also buy a "day pass" for $40.00.

I called HA once again and talked to another supervisor. She quickly told me that HA does NOT have a lounge at LAS, period. I asked her to refer this to a management person for review and consideration, which might include HA paying for my entry to The Club as LAS. She refused (I asked three times) and continued to refer me to HA Consumer Affairs, which can only be reached by e-mail, no live support or assistance.

This leaves two major issues: HA doesn't have a lounge at LAS for "premium cabin" (first class/business class) passengers, and HA's personnel mostly have no clue about the lounge situation or availability. People are nice and "sorry" for the situation and inconvenience but that doesn't fix the problems. The last supervisor I talked to flat refused to escalate the problem further excepting that I could take more time and energy to contact CA and start all over again.

I e-mailed CA and asked for: A sincere apology from a MANAGEMENT PERSON for all of the above. Compensation from HA of $40.00 USD so I can purchase a lounge day pass at LAS. That's a credit back on my flight purchase credit card, not a flight credit for future use. What did I suggest further: HA needs to provide lounge access to LAS premium cabin customers. This is a basic "no-brainer". These passengers are the cash machine that profit most every airline. This is a basic benefit of a premium cabin purchase.

HA needs to retrain its telephone personnel with actual information about lounge access, at LAS and anywhere else HA flies, without having to put callers on hold or do research. HA needs to make this basic information readily available on its website. After clicking through multiple guesses, I found a click link for "Hawaiian Airlines Premier Club". When I clicked on it, a screen came up saying "This Site is Not Secure". (www.beta.hawaiianairlines.com/our-services/at-the-airport/hawaiian-airlines-lounges) and warning to close the site immediately.

November 28, 2018, five days after e-mailing HA CA, I called in again as I didn’t have a response. The representative advised that CA responses were out about a month, now serving requests from about October 28 to 29. After trying for over 15 minutes to connect me with a supervisor, she offered a call back within 24 hours. I declined as I can’t sit waiting for a call when doing other things, like my life going on. After more unsuccessful tries to connect me to a supervisor, she came back and offered a call back within 10 minutes, which I accepted. And a supervisor did call back in that time frame.

He advised he had read my CA e-mail, understood the situation, and could offer a TRAVEL CREDIT of $40. I advised him that as stated in the e-mail, travel credit was unacceptable. Even if I were contemplating another trip on HA, I wouldn’t want to be limited to spending my money there for another trip, all within the next year or it expires. Since I am spending cash for the lounge HA should be providing, I want a cash (credit card refund) credit in return. He said he couldn’t do that but would try to contact CA to accelerate their response from their current one month +/- time frame.

ANY AIRLINE CAN HAVE PROBLEMS. How they respond and fix situations tells the story. HA is deficient in customer service. Their representatives are unknowledgeable and waste time accordingly. Their amenities are not at an appropriate level for their premium cabin passengers. Their Consumer Affairs function is so backlogged as to be useless. I recommend anyone considering flying HA explore other alternatives first. Use HA as a “last resort” if you can’t find something else.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Unbelievably I just received a text from Hawaiian that they’re currently addressing complaints from 10/27/18 and they’ll handle my complaint in turn. Today’s 11/27/18. It’s impossible to reach a live person and the text line is a loop of being told someone will contact you soon. Worst customer service I’ve ever experienced.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

My husband and I flew from Portland Oregon to Honolulu on Hawaiian Air's new Air Bus 320. This plane should not be flying the heavy route of PDX-HNL, as it cramped, stuffy, and most of all, only 3 toilets to serve the entire coach section. The aisles are narrow, and there is nowhere to stand when waiting for a toilet.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was flying from Guam to Honolulu and went through Narita Airport in Tokyo. Hawaiian Airlines agent at the counter treated me like an illegal alien and asked for my Green Card which I did not have but had my ROP passport. Residents from Palau and the FSM do not need Green Card to enter US. We travel with our passport only and could live and work in US. She called security to talk to me and asked what my business was in Guam. I told the security that I went to Guam for my father's funeral. I was the only non Asian person in the boarding area and felt discriminated. It was hopeless to talk to the agent because she was ignorant and did not know anything about the political status between these countries and US.

I tried hard to maintain my cool and not get upset. I was worried they might hold me and I will miss my flight and also I had to work the next day. My recommendation for Hawaiian Airlines is to please educate your travel agents in Narita Airport about countries in Western Pacific and their association with US regarding their political status. No one from these countries should experience what I went through and I have contacted their consulate in Honolulu.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was standing in line for security with my daughter who was screaming for me to hold her. I couldn’t hold her because I was carrying 3 bags and my arms were full. My husband went to drop the car off and by the time he got his boarding pass and found us we were at the entrance to get inside to security. He tried to come stand with us (not crossing any barriers) and he was told that he could not cut because it was a “TSA line and all of your things have to be checked by the dog”. We hadn’t even gotten inside yet or to the dog!

They separated us, while my daughter was screaming, and told my husband he had to go to the end of the line or they were going to call security. We will never fly with them again. Another HA employee said “well that’s too bad” when I told her I needed help with my daughter and I was really overwhelmed. She finished by saying “you should have went with him to drop the car off and then get in line together.” Worst customer service I have EVER experienced.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When Flying out of Honolulu back to Phoenix AZ. We weighed our luggage at the courtesy scale and repack area as one bag was close, so we lighted it up a bit as it weighed in a 48 pounds and got it down to 44 pounds. I took it over to the scale at the automated bag drop off and it was it now weighed 63 pounds back to the courtesy scale and it was 44 pounds. Our other bags were also weighing much heavier than they did on the courtesy scale. I approached a couple of employees and wanted to show them the difference between the two scales. They replied, "We work with Hawaiian Airlines but not for Hawaiian Airlines. You need to talk to a Hawaiian Airline employee." The Hawaiian Airline employee said we needed to talk to one of the baggage people. The people who told us we need to talk a Hawaiian Airline employee (the classic run-around). So we didn’t miss the flight we pay for an overweight bag.

Upon arriving in Phoenix we reweighed the bag on the Phoenix Airport scale and it weighed 44 pounds. On another scale in the airport it weighed the same. While in the boarding line a couple other people said they had a similar experience. When arriving home we weighed all the bag again. They all matched the weight given by the courtesy scales in the Honolulu and Phoenix airports. Yet the actual baggage scale weighed all bags much higher. Hawaiian Airlines where you can’t find one employee to check the scale. So we pay the extra money on top of their standard outrageous baggage fees. We could not find anyone that even showed the slightness of concern on what is wrong with your scale, that had been replaced with just pay the fee. So we did and will never fly with them again. Southwest Airlines hurry up with your plans to fly to HI.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I tried to purchase 2 tickets for a round trip from Kahului to Portland for $830.00. For some reason the transaction wouldn't go through. I went to check my bank account and there was a pending transaction from Hawaiian Airlines for 516.00. Which is weird since that was more than one ticket and less than 2. I called and they said indeed the transaction didn't go through, and the hold should drop in 24 to 48 hours. 3 days later the transaction was still there so not only did it not drop but it went through and I still don't have any confirmed tickets.

I call again and they indeed have no record of a transaction going through. I have disputed the charge now with my bank. I have also sent 6 emails about getting my refund with no answer besides the one saying they were forwarding it to accounting 10 days ago. I sent another email last night demanding a refund and telling them after this I will no longer fly with them. Still no answer. It's more a lack of customer service than it is the refund at this point. Over 2 weeks later I still have no refund and am waiting for my bank to do its job with the dispute. Hawaiian Airlines after 20 years of flying with you... I am done.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Purchased 2 tickets on Apr 13, from SAN to HNL for Oct. travel, main cabin on departure, Extra Comfort on return. We paid $1153. Today the same exact flight with Extra Comfort both ways is now $1193. The fares dropped $60 per ticket. When we called to try to arrange Extra Comfort for both ways, and were willing to pay the $40 difference, we were told that we would have to pay $80 for a change fee, plus $40 per ticket processing fee. That would be a total of $160 more than what we paid. This makes absolutely no sense, and we feel that HA should allow us to pay only the $40 difference to get Extra Comfort both ways. This is a horrible nickel and dime policy that leaves a very negative opinion with its loyal customers as anyone reading this can tell by the number of poor reviews.

We go to Hawaii every year and tried another airline 1 time and that reminded us why we always flew HA. But here we are freeing up 2 main cabin seats giving them the potential to make $872 more dollars on top of the $40 we were willing to pay on seats that are more than likely not going to sell by the time we travel. I guess next year we will be trying another airline once again, more than likely Southwest Airlines seeing as they will be flying to Hawaii by this time next year. With the upcoming competition HA will be forced to lower their prices, but better customer service is how you confront that by keeping the customers they have now. Big mistake, I am just one of hundreds of thousands that will be looking elsewhere for Hawaii travel.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Unable to get a refund for change fees due to Hurricane Olivia. Was told to contact Consumer Affairs if a travel waiver was issued. 2 calls, 2 e-mails, 1 fax and two weeks later, still no response from HA Consumer Affairs. I just got off the phone with a customer service rep in a foreign call center who told me that she could not connect me to Consumer Affairs and all supervisors were busy. I will now file a complaint with US Dept. of Transportation. Customer service is horrible!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have redeemed my miles for Maui Jim sunglass certificate, hoping to receive an email. It has been over month and a half, summer is ending and no sunglass certificate. I have been calling since, every time I receive the same answer, it takes 7-10 business days, the issue has been escalated, someone will reach out... No progress, no calls back, just promises... Even 50K miles doesn't buy you a ticket from Southern Cal, its miles plus almost the same price w/o miles... no joy with Hawaiian Airline promises. I will fly Alaskan instead and DO NOT SIGN UP for their CREDIT CARD.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs back in June 07, 2018 for lost baggage flying from LAX to Kona on return flight baggage was damaged. I Had to call numerous times to follow up on my complaint and was told by customer service that someone would be contacting me. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that a supervisor was not available. Now we are in August and still have not heard from anyone. I will no longer be flying Hawaiian Airlines.

Original review: July 26, 2018

When Hawaiian Airlines has competition again, they will improve their app. Unsure why after all these years, it remains the same despite the ongoing complaints about it. We went to a neighbor island last week, and the friendliest agent assisted us without being asked and helped us quickly get our bags weighed and got all of us checked in. We've had other wonderful experiences and not so wonderful, so it's hard to tell what might happen on any flight. Most of us rely on our phones now and the app creates unnecessary and avoidable stress. If I had to offer any suggestions, it would be to start with the app and make it user-friendly instead of user-irritated.

Hawaiian Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

• Best for: Vacationers and holiday travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information