3.6/5 (233 ratings)

About Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Impossible to reach customer service. They canceled my flight but I can't reach anyone to receive a refund. When I did finally get someone on the phone, the call was disconnected before a refund was processed. They didn't call me back and the wait to speak to a representative no matter when I call is almost two hours long. I've tried both chat and text customer service options. They responded over 36 hours later when I was asleep and closed the thread before I responded a couple hours later. This has happened three times! Not even given a chance to respond and I still do not have a flight or a refund!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Cancelling flights from this airline is a nightmare even with the 24hr Rule. First off no online cancellation on their website. You have to call them. Then, I was put on hold for more than 3 hrs and when I finally was able to speak to a representative I conveniently got disconnected and was put on hold again for another 3 hrs. Will never ever book again with Hawaiian Airlines.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

This is one more reason to NEVER fly Hawaiian Airlines! I commute weekly for work between islands and am a Platinum member. One would think Hawaiian would take care of their frequent customers but that is a farce. Flight was delayed for 3.75 hours today. Their policy is if it is not over 4 hours, "Sorry there is nothing I can do to help you get on the next flight." They say you can get same day changes at this level of membership, but they usually charge you fees in excess of the original ticket. It is almost always cheaper to purchase a new ticket on the next flight then change original ticket. In 2021 Hawaiian charged me in excess of $1800 in extra fees. Time to move all my business to Southwest. They understand what customer service truly is and always compensate you when they are delayed due to something they control. Hawaiian airline, you are no longer the only choice for inter-island travel. GET A CLUE.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Let me say, I’ll never fly Hawaiian Airlines again and would never recommend them to anyone I know. If anyone knows me, they know that I am the most anal retentive travel document preparation person before covid and even more so during covid. I have flown multiple times during covid to Hawaii, flown in 2021 to London, Paris, Mexico and prepared all of my father in law’s documentation that he need to go to Canada this Christmas. I even canceled a trip to St. Maarten and Anguilla over Memorial Day this year because the travel requirements seemed too complicated and I didn’t want to run into any issues, which my in-laws did experience the very thing that I wanted to avoid.

Every time, travel has been a breeze because I had prepared the documentation and completed the travel process requirements to the exact step required to enter and exit the visiting country and back to the US. So, I am in utter shock and extremely disappointment during my recent travel to Hawaii when I had all the QR codes for all of the passengers traveling with me and was denied the required wristband needed to bypass the hour long lines when you arrive in Hawaii before boarding the flight from LA to Honolulu. The reason? My mistake was flying Hawaiian Airlines. All of our travel during covid prior to this was on United Airlines. They made traveling very easy and there were no hiccups.

You would think that Hawaiian Airlines would be prepared given they are “Hawaiian” airlines and we were traveling to “Hawaii” that passengers who followed the rules would get their wristband before boarding the flight, but no, this was not the case for me and for a lot of passengers behind me in the “travel verification” line. Our flight was at 7:00am and we arrived at the gate at 6:00am and I observed the long line and assumed it was the QR code verification line to get our wristbands so I had my travel partners stand in line while I went to the front of the line and asked the gate agent if this was the line to check the travel documents/QR code, which they said yes. So we stood in line for 15 minutes and then noticed that people in front of me were just leaving the line. So I went to the front and asked who was checking travel documents and they said they announced they would stop checking travel documents at 6:15 and we would have to stand in line again in Hawaii.

There are multiple issues with this, first of all when I asked her if this was the line, she should have said if you are just getting in line you won’t make the cut off time, two there was no documentation post on our check in process or signs at the gate that said, regardless of if you are in line, once the cut off time arrives you will be denied service. What made matters worse is that the gate representative was dismissive and had a “whatever” attitude.

I have 1K status with United Airlines and am a Gold Star Alliance member and have never been insulted the way the Hawaiian Airlines representatives treated me this morning. I had traveled all over the world and within the US and never have been walked away from when trying to understand how we, not just me, but the passengers also behind me and in front of me, could be waiting in line like we are supposed to and then just like a snap of the finger told to go away. For example, even at banks, if you are inside the bank when they close, do they kick you out if you haven’t had a chance to handle your banking business? Obviously not, they lock the front doors so that no one else can come in but they take care of the clients inside the bank. So why would I think I would be denied service if I had been patiently waiting in line?

The reason I am livid, is because I know how long the lines are in Hawaii and have walked past them feeling sorry for the people in line, but I had my wristband from United because I did what I was supposed to do. And yet, I am writing this on the plan to Hawaii knowing that even though I did was I was supposed to do, I will have to stand in the long lines because Hawaiian Airlines failed to provide appropriate service during my holiday travel. I will never fly Hawaiian Airlines again. And the only reason I flew them this time is because it was a little cheaper and I was traveling with so many family members. My husband is on the United flight right now on the way to Hawaii (he wanted his 1K before the end of the year) and yes, he received his wristband from United Airlines before he left. And who prepared all of his documentation? Me… Disappointed and Livid are not even close enough adjustives to describe how irritated I am with Hawaiian Airlines.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Don't know how to book a ticket, don't know how to spell a person's name right on the ticket, not know how to create a map that they have moved an entirely terminal miles away in LAX. Several hours of wasted time on the customer service line. Ticket agents are unable to re-book flights. Made me pay for a second ticket once I missed my flight because they relocated the terminal and there was no documentation of it. Complete the worst travel experience ever.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Customer service lie about fees, disconnect calls on purpose, incorrect phone transfers deliberately, does not return phone calls, do not resolve issues, deny manager availability and give run around.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Flew round trip in May after joining the mileage program. No miles added to the account. 5 attempts to reach a person on the customer service chat with literally zero response over 5 months. Call times to speak to a representative are 45 minutes average. Will never fly Hawaiian again.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Flying fr Vegas a family of 4 were seated separately. Flying back I’ve spent 4 hrs on the phone trying to get seated all together but no luck. They will use the “you book it to a 3rd party even though their own website directed me to Hawaiian vacation packages”. Worse customer service I’ve had ever.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I had a preexisting reservation on Hawaiian airlines that I needed to modify. I called them and the agent I spoke to completely lied to me about availability of seats on the new flight and tried to get me to pay $200 extra per person. I declined and without my permission he changed my flights. It took 3 more phone calls and hours of wasted time to fix what he did. I then called 4 more times afterwards and they eventually gave me 2000 miles as an apology. Worst customer service ever. I won't fly with them again.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Made a reservation 2 days before my trip between islands and due to unforeseen circumstances needed to cancel flight day before actual flight. Finally got through on reservation line only to find out they will only give me a credit. The credit does me no good as where I live on the main land Hawaiian Airlines doesn't service. I was told because I was trying to cancel a flight the day before departure they could not refund cost. Their policy is to only cancel flights that are seven days out from the actual flight. Which is pretty hard to do when the flight was booked in less than seven days. I'm going to try and see the positive side to this and hope that the CEO of Hawaiian Airlines will take the money I obviously donated to them and do something good with it. He/She probably want but it was a nice thought anyway.

Hawaiian Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information