2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.7/5 (167 ratings)

About Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: April 1, 2021

It’s a relaxing experience: you feel the Aloha before you even reach the Islands! The cabin crew was gracious and attentive, the meal comes with a little orchid, and you know you’re supporting the good people of Hawai’i by flying Hawaiian. Can’t wait to go back!

Original review: June 18, 2021

We had a trip planned in 2020. It got canceled. They refused to refund our money so we booked it again for 2021 and it cost another seven hundred dollars from the original flight for the same flight one year later. Surprise surprise that was canceled. So now in 2022 they are sending me emails about 50% off second guest and $80 trips to Hawaii.

Seemed like a good time. I figured maybe I could upgrade since they don't want to give me money back. Nope. Apparently if the trip cost more you'll pay more. If it cost less they will just pocket it. Covid has been hard on everyone, but the fact that you guys will gouge us in these times makes me absolutely disgusted. I've wasted days on hold like it's some kind of joke and they couldn't give their customers a heads up. This is absolutely pitiful. These reviews are not wrong. Go with any other airline. These guys are broken.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2021

The App and Website does not allow cancellation for 1 of 2 passengers, and also to change a flight just for 1 passenger, and there are NO OPTIONS TO CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! Reservations (800-367-5320) is a dead number and just gives a busy tone. HI Miles Service Center (877-426-4537) is a false number and just leaves you on hold for hours, which is NOT ACCEPTABLE! There is no Chat button on the website, Texting does not get any response, and Emailing gives an error code. HI Airlines needs to IMPROVE THEIR APP & WEBSITE FUNCTIONALITY and to HIRE MORE CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSONNEL!!!!

Original review: May 8, 2021

Do not use fly Hawaiian Airlines. They are horrible. I need to make a change due to a medical reason and they literally charged me double for my new flights. After further review, I called back 12 hours later and they said, "No we cannot cancel for a refund," despite the fact that the website says cancellations made working 24 hours of books are allowed. They lie and you must read the fine print. It seems like they are desperate for money bc they’re not willing to work with customers during this very difficult time for everyone. What was supposed to be a holiday after 1 year of being in shelter in place, had turned into the most stressful situation ever. I’m so stressed dealing with them. Please save yourself the stress, use any other airline. Your peace of mind is worth more than trying to I totally save a few dollars.

Original review: May 3, 2021

This is the most inconvenient airline thus far. I received a email stating that my flight was canceled, I called to confirm if the information was accurate & had to wait 2 hours. Finally a rep got on the line & told me that my flight wasn’t canceled, it was just a time change on my layover flight. Fast forward to 4 days later. & I received the email again. I called again, this time the wait was an hour.

A rep finally came on the line, & she stated that the information I got a few days ago still was the same, but now my returning flight to come home was completely canceled. Her excuse for the company was that, the flight was overcrowded & for everyone's safety they canceled the flight from Boston to Philadelphia. Not only was that inconvenient it was very stupid of them to just tell me the time changed and my layover flight & not give me the full details of what took place with my entire trip. She didn’t offer me any other options. She simply said I had until 05/12/21 to make a final decision. The other dates I gave her to look up weren’t available, by me being so frustrated & her being frustrated with my frustration. She begin to throw dates out @ me that couldn’t accommodate me. I’m very pissed that I won’t be able to visit the big island. & eventually when I do. I will be very careful about booking with Hawaiian airlines!

Original review: April 30, 2021

Flew from Maui to Portland yesterday and was surrounded by families in the 3rd section of the plane. Kids crying, coughing, screaming many w/o masks. I know the air is filtered but this was over the top! Upon exiting the flight these same people crowded the isles for what seemed like forever with NO awareness to distancing. In fact people were face to face waiting to exit and by then the filtering of air had stopped. I stayed in my seat and kept my head down to avoid the proximity of people but feel strongly this was a breeding ground for Covid, and btw I am a Registered Nurse, I know my science. Too many people on that flight. No more Hawaiian Air for us.

Original review: April 27, 2021

First of all let me say I understand that Covid hit everyone hard. Let me rephrase that hit everyone that means your customers. I had a flight booked for two people in 2020 that obviously was canceled. I took a flight voucher on it knowing that I would go back. However the cost of my flight for two people now I can’t even get a flight for one person at the same cost. I understand raising your flights to make up some of the cost but tripling them. I believe that’s called price gouging. Not only that I have a credit card with you that will soon be canceled once I can get hold of anybody to use my flight points to go to Hawaii for my last time because of Hawaiian airlines.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Trying to book a flight with 2 adults and one 3 yr old child... The website states.. "We weren't able to proceed with your booking. Please try your search again." I call the number, wait 35 minutes and finally get an answer from a girl who says "oh, you are booking with a child under 12? Yah.. The website is not allowing that, we don't know why"... I ask if I can book my flight through her, she states, "No.. It does not allow us to book either." I tell her OK, so I should go book my $3600 with another carrier, and she says "Yes, that is the only way." Wow... Amazing incompetence from their employees. Never again wasting my time with this airline.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I had an incredibly frustrating experience today with Hawaiian, and I’m not sure I ever want to fly with them again. Today, I was supposed to travel with a group of 5 friends from OGG -> LIH. I had checked in prior to arriving at the airport. When we arrived, 40 minutes prior to departure, prior to cut-off time listed at your website (https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our-services/at-the-airport/check-in/airport-check-in), I went to go check in my bag. I waited in line check my bag, and was re-directed to go to the kiosk to print a bag tag.

The first kiosk I went to started reading my passport but then appeared to crash. I waited a few minutes for it to respond, then gave up and went to a second kiosk. The second kiosk accepted my passport, but then it gave me an error which re-directed me to the departure agent. Again, I waited in line for the departure agent. Once I got to the departure agent, she told me I was in the wrong line and directed me to go wait in a different line. So I went to go wait in the other line. By the time I got back up to the departure agent again, I was told that I was too late and could not check in anymore and would be pushed to another flight. She told me if I got to the gate, the gate agent may be able to get me on the earlier flight.

What made this incredibly more frustrating, was that two of my friends on the same flight were also checking their bags. They were literally putting their bags on the conveyor while the departure agent was telling me that they couldn’t check my bag. I was able to get through security quickly and the flight wasn’t even halfway boarded yet. I was told I couldn’t fly on that flight, saying I had checked in too late, despite literally showing the gate agent the ticket I had when I checked in online on my phone. I ended up waiting with my friends for 10 minutes before they departed on the flight that I was supposed to be on.

As a result, I got split up with my group and was put on a later flight. This later flight was then delayed an hour and a half. This caused me to miss my connecting flight from HNL -> LIH. The guest services agent here was able to book me on standby for a flight later today, but was unable to help me in any other way, not even something small like complimentary access to the lounge. So now I’m stuck at HNL writing up this experience while I wait for my flight to LIH. Being on standby, I’m not even sure I will be able to make it to LIH tonight.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Showed up to Maui and they wouldn't let me and my husband leave bc the Hilo airport assured us the testing would be sufficient and it wasn't. Couldn't leave the airport, scammed us out of an additional $300 each to fly round trip back to Honolulu to get tested. The attendants were beyond rude and the whole thing seemed like a big joke to them. One in particular testing agent went out of her way to make our blood boil. She literally laughed in our face and told us to go home. Terrible, terrible experience. Ashamed they got any of my hard earned money.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Terrible "attendants"... wow how do they became attendants? Don’t the company educate the attendants' service manners? I was shocked that how they were so loud (voice) and rude, unkind, angry, no etiquette people that I have ever dealt with! They don’t ask you with nice words... instead, They looked down on you and order you what to do it. Also They don’t quietly or gently request to you ... instead, they shout at you with loud voice even a little child is listening right next to you. How rude and how unpleasant experience We had! We loved the whole trip and this coming back home airline experience really ruined our mood...

I am telling you, If this airline wants to be survived in business, they should fire those terrible attendants who can not be changed in personality. Rehire new attendants who are willing to learn and practice airline service education and manners with real Hawaiian kind positive spirit. Because of this poor experience, Our whole family and in law families decided we will never take that airline again.

Hawaiian Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information