3.55/5

Looking for a travel site?

Hawaiian Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

266 Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Our experience with Hawaiian airlines was horrible! Customer service is nonexistent! Our flight was almost 8 hours delayed and all we got is a sorry and here $100 off your next flight. I don’t want to fly with you next time if you treat your customer that way. I had 4mo old, 3yr old and 6yr old with me. We boarded the plane, sat on the plane for 2 hours then had to deplane and sit in the airport with 3 kids for another 6 hours. I paid extra to fly Hawaiian to be home from our Maui vacation at a reasonable hour. Instead we spent the entire day in that airport and came home stressed and exhausted at 2am. When calling customer affairs I was basically told that $100 off is a fair offer for ruining my day with 3 little children. Never flying with them again. They didn’t even try to make the situation right. Oh and they damaged my car seat.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I had been diagnosed with a stage 4 cancer and we planned a last minute trip to Hawaii with our son. After successfully booking our flights, we assumed all was in order. Unfortunately, our flight was cancelled 17 hours before the scheduled take off by merely sending an email (no phone call alerting us of the situation). Fortunately I checked emails beforehand or we would not have known and would have arrived at Long Beach airport the next morning expecting to take a flight to Honolulu! We were flying on Jet Blue from Salt Lake City to Long Beach the night prior (8/31/2019) in order to be in the Long Beach area in the morning for the flight. The cancellation email did not offer us any alternatives such as "we can reroute you" and no mention of refunding our approx. $1,500.00 -- it simply stated that the flight had been cancelled!

My son, who had never been to Hawaii was so sad because he had looked forward to this trip!!! I then frantically searched the internet to find another flight, but realized we had already paid for this flight so I called Hawaiian Airlines and was told that they can reroute us to leave from San Diego instead of Long Beach, but that it would cost an additional $50.00 per person (x3) = $150.00 regardless of the circumstance. When we arrived at Long Beach we had to tell the car rental company (Enterprise) that we were not returning the vehicle to Long Beach, but to San Diego. Instead of it costing us the original quoted amount of $78.30, it now cost us $149.82 (almost twice the amount).

We understand that things happen, however, we were not notified of the cancellation in a reasonable manner (no phone call) only an email which I don't always check. Hawaiian Airlines should have accommodated us without additional fees, especially if we were being inconvenienced due to no fault of our own (we now had to travel to San Diego for the flight) and had to pay extra for a car rental because the vehicle was not being dropped off at the same location.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I was going to Hawaii only because a girlfriend wanted a travel companion; however, due to sudden family illness, I had to cancel my trip. In 3 different phone calls, agents said tickets could be reused to fly anywhere Hawaiian Airlines flies. They gave examples like Vegas or New York. The website route map gives the impression one has many options. Living in Los Angeles, I tried to book for New York, where I have relatives. I was then told I had to fly to HONOLULU on at least one leg of the trip, because Hawaiian uses "partners" (in this case, Jet Blue) from LA to NY. Using a "partner" does not count for reusing the tickets. The agent finally admitted that, to reuse the ticket (which also involved a $200 change fee), I had to FLY TO HONOLULU.

It is absolutely ludicrous to fly 5 hours WEST and BACK to then GO EAST!! Because the deadline to re-book was near, I ended up making travel plans to visit Hawaii, which I have to do ALONE and I don't know anyone in Hawaii. I will never book with Hawaiian Airlines again. They waste travelers' time giving piecemeal information and hold travelers hostage to go to Hawaii.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

This post is to just make other aware of an issue we have encountered. We do not travel till April 2020. We booked an Hawaiian Airways flight from Honolulu to LV. This is a once in a lifetime holiday on retirement. When the fares became available we had set dates we had to work to. We booked 2 economy flights at $418 per person. Two months later the same flights are $291 per person. We were always under the impression if you booked early and paid in full a fair price would be given. Hawaiian Airlines do have a Gaf policy and will refund the monies less $40 per person admin charge even though the e-tickets are on the same email. NOTE THIS IS NOT USABLE AGAINST ANY OTHER SERVICES E.G. BAGGAGE.

This also has to be used within 12 months and as we are travelling a very long way from England is not a feasible option either. Hawaiian airlines do not negotiate at all. Therefore if you intend to book a flight with them do not expect good customer service for booking early. I have had conversations with others looking to travel highlighting the above.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

We book a flight out of San Diego first class to Lihue, pick our seats, airbus a330 with lay down seats, only to find out that they change planes to a321. We were not notified of this change. We just happened to check flight status and found out of the change, paid more for the lay down seats. We called about changing cities with the a330 flies out of, they said we would have to pay the fare difference. What a way to run an airline BAIT AND SWITCH. The six (6) of us will not fly Hawaiian anymore. What a joke, no courtesy to Inform us of this change, fly UNITED.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

Living in HI, for years we used Hawaiian Airlines to fly from here to So Cal, where we used to live – the flights were always on time and without incident. This year, we needed to fly to Orlando, which Hawaiian did not do, but we still used Hawaiian to get to Las Vegas, then booked with one of their partner companies, United Airlines, to get to Orlando – The flights out were great, the problem occurred on the trip back.

The United flight leaving Orlando was delayed due to thunderstorms – This caused us to miss our connecting United flight from Houston to Las Vegas, and consequently our Hawaiian flight from Las Vegas back to Honolulu – United had no problem getting us to Las Vegas on their very next flight – The problem arose with Hawaiian because we had booked the Hawaiian flight with miles – They quoted company policy and refused to get us on any flight other than one that matched the number of miles we had used, which was first class – their option was for us to either spend 4 days in Las Vegas, on our dime, to catch the next flight that had first class seats open, or fly to San Jose, which involved buying new tickets to the tune of $1,300. We were stunned, we couldn’t believe Hawaiian leaving us stranded in Houston with no solution to our problem by basically saying “that’s all we can do, have a nice day”.

The final straw came when the extremely helpful United Airlines agent called Hawaiian to get them to sell their Las Vegas leg of the flight to United so he could book us on a flight that would leave in about 5 hours that went directly from Houston to Honolulu. He said that Hawaiian could certainly do that, since they were business partners – but Hawaiian flatly refused to do so, again, knowing that they were stranding us in Houston. The persistent United agent called back yet again, after he found open coach seats on a Hawaiian flight the following day out of Las Vegas and shamed the Hawaiian employee into giving us those seats – In other words, the United agent did the Hawaiian agent’s job and got us on the first available flight, no matter what the seat designation was, instead of making us wait for first class seats like Hawaiian insisted on doing.

We just wanted to get home and had made it abundantly clear we just wanted a seat, any seat, but Hawaiian still refused to budge until United Airlines stepped up. The other frustration was that it took us emailing Hawaiian Consumer Affairs twice and sending a snail mail to their corporate office in Honolulu just to get reimbursed for the difference in miles between the first class seats we had paid for and the coach seats we ultimately used – We did this because the Hawaiian agent had told us we would not be charged for the flight change - All the while, all Hawaiian did was continue to spout company policy, offer flimsy apologies and never once admitted they really screwed up handling this entire situation.

Even when they reimbursed us for the difference in miles, they made it very clear that doing so was against company policy, like they were doing us a huge favor - The costs we accrued from having to spend an entire day and night in Las Vegas because of their refusal to help United get us on the direct flight to Honolulu was never even acknowledged by Hawaiian Airlines. Again, United is stepping up and reimbursing us because it is their policy to do so if their flight delay causes undue expenses for their customer. Lesson learned, fly United Airlines.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I fly regularly with HA, but having to call their customer service is an awful experience every time. The representatives are very difficult to understand with broken English. I sometimes have to change flight reservations and it is not uncommon that they cannot resolve my issue. Long wait times and multiple transfers are typical. Today, in attempting to make a reservation change that I was told was not possible and was given no reason why, they also lost 50k miles in my account within a 30 minute period and had no explanation for it. I would give their service a negative star review, if possible, after consistently experiencing these issues over many years.

Original review: July 9, 2019

We fly with Hawaiian Airlines at least twice a year. We always upgrade to extra comfort and we get the same food as in coach a sandwich and we just went on Omni Air and took the first class and we noticed the premier class, which is similar to extra comfort, has about almost the same type of food as in first class (a smaller serving size) and in your recent commercials your complimentary meals is actually your first-class meals, not for extra comfort or the main cabin you get a sandwich and when I just went to your website. You only show first-class meals on your menu. What about the main cabin. I think you are false advertising.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My son and I took a flight to Hawaii Friday 7-5-19. We were supposed to depart at 9am. Our flight was delayed by 4hrs. We didn’t start to board until 1pm. We got in to Hawaii around 5pm (traffic time) and by the time we got to our room, checked in, had dinner our whole day was gone from our vacation. Returning home today 7-8-19 we get to the airport, everything is self tag and bag! There are ZERO signs stating this! I stood in line for about 30 minutes before the lady even notified me and then got upset when I asked her why they don’t notify people before getting in line. Extremely unhelpful and unprofessional.

We get through security and walk all the way across to our Gate E9 where I’m then notified by a DELTA employee that they have changed gates!!! To C9. Mind you this is all the way across the other side! I’m running with my 6 year old to the gate. We get here to find out we will now NOT be boarding until 1pm!!! Could this get any more messy, unorganized and frustrating! I nearly had a panic attack because I couldn’t get any help!!!! NO ONE notified me of this change at all and they still don’t have an explanation why boarding is taking so long. I have used Hawaiian Airlines before and they lost my luggage, only reason I used them this time is because it was the only non stop flight and traveling with children is not easy. After this experience I will NEVER EVER fly with Hawaiian again!

Original review: July 5, 2019

We flew out of Honolulu to San Diego. We had a connecting flight in Maui. Our luggages round back from Maui to Honolulu instead of San Diego. We had been back 2 days now and still no luggages. We will never fly this dumb airline again.

Hawaiian Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

• Best for: Vacationers and holiday travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information