Hawaiian Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I'm sitting on the runway for almost 2 hours waiting to find a gate near a very stinky bathroom. The captain only announced once that we are looking for a gate and made a few snarky comments about Los Angeles. We are still sitting here almost 2 hours later with no update on our gate. The flight attendants are rude and cackling and gossiping in the galley. Our flight left 35 minutes late and they crammed us into some hot area like cattle waiting for the plane to board with no explanation regarding the delay. Total buzzkill to the end of a vacation. Not to mention the price of the tickets was absurd. Not flying with Hawaiian airlines again

Made a reservation on Hawaiian through the Internet. It told me to call customer service to let them know I have a service dog. Called they said "that's fine bring his ID, my ID and a letter from my doctor." I live Hilo side but was flying out of Kona for a mainland flight. Checked in, gave them all my IDs and documents, he took it to the back came back said the letter needed to be addresses to Hawaiian Airlines. This is 4:15pm, they hand me a piece of paper and said to have my doctor modify it so I called my doctor but they closed at 4:30. The gentleman helping me said, "I'm sorry but that's our policy" then went on to say if I had a carrier for him I could bring him in that as a carry on for $35.00.

So I called my son that has dropped me off to get a carrier and bring it to me, he does. I went back to the counter and it was a different person she tells me it's not $35.00, it's $225.00. What I say wow so it was getting close to boarding time so I said I would pay it (very unhappy) then I put my service dog in the carrier my son brought then this person asks me for his heath certificate. I reply, "Service dogs don't need health certificates." She replies, "I'm sorry we can't help you that's our policy"!!! Not sure what to do now so I called my son back to the airport again. While waiting I called the US SERVICE ANIMAL AGENTS who took the info to file a complaint against Hawaiian Airlines. Now I'm separated from my service dog and having horrible depression flying without my service dog!!!

I booked a ticket from Australia to Kauai on hawaiianairlines.com and added a hotel since it appeared it will save me a little time and money. What I didn't know is that as soon as you add a hotel or rental car you are suddenly dealing with a different company, even though Hawaiian Air logos appear all over the web site. Suddenly you are dealing with a online travel agency with hard to find contact information and a call center in the Philippines. It appears that Expedia is now handling the booking of my hotel, including my flight ticket. Once I realized I can't use my HA travel voucher and because I started to have second thoughts about the whole process, I called to cancel my reservation. This was within a couple of hours of paying with my credit card and well within their 24-hour, 100% refund cancellation period.

I was on the phone for 40 minutes for a simple cancellation after searching for a way to cancel online. I received my refund but not in a single transaction but in 3 different credits to my overseas credit card. Because of overseas transaction fees, I only got 94% back, not the 100% I expected. This could have easily been avoided if the original transaction was reversed. I called the call center again but didn't get any positive results except verbal runarounds in circles. I really enjoy flying with Hawaiian Airlines and have used them frequently for over 10 years. It is my favorite airline but I don't understand why HA would get into a partnership with such a cheap, second class discount travel agent and put its logo on their website. It tarnishes HA's reputation, as it's evident from the other feedback regarding buying a ticket and adding either a hotel or a rental car.

If you are like me and are looking to find an email address to contact that travel agent, here it is: **. And this is how that travel agent advertises their services to its customers, the airlines: "All packages are prepaid, non-refundable and non-cancellable, allowing suppliers to provide NeatAgent with competitively priced NET rate inventory."

On flight back from Hawaii the pilot comes on, says, "If you open the credit card you will get a round trip ticket to Oahu. A companion flies 50% off their round trip ticket," and other things. We get the card. You have to spend $7000 in 90 days to receive the miles. We did. Go to use miles and find out you only get one of the benefits you can't use the round trip along with the 50% off companion. To use the companion discount unless a full price ticket is purchased then you get discount. It is so misleading starting off with the pilot. The paperwork is misleading until you read the fine print. Just want to warn others as I will do on the next flight to anyone who thinks it's a bargain on Hawaiian airlines. My husband is Hawaiian and he and I both agree this is not the aloha spirit that Hawaiians have so the credit card and Hawaiian airlines are a fraud! READ the fine print!!!

So, Hawaiian Airlines just screwed my friend Julie out of $200! AND, they don't even use their real name, they use... and I quote: "phone names"!! Customer service is so bad they need to use FAKE names??? Here is the email I sent to the company: My friend and travel partner, Julie **, purchased 3 round trip tickets to Honolulu from Las Vegas. The reservation personnel messed up her return flight by having the return flight be the same day as the flight out... which is impossible! We have been on the phone for over an hour trying to fix this, your people are being snippy and are not very helpful at all! Now you are charging her another $200??? What is wrong with you?? This is NOT good customer service! You should give her a $200 credit at the very least! NOT SATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Our first-class tickets to Kahalui, Maui were very reasonable; the food was great; and the service was on par with the best we've experienced on other top-rated airlines!

A letter dated April 14, 2017 indicated I would lose my miles on 8/31/2017 if I did not have some activity on my mileage account, meaning a credit card purchase or flight. THE PROBLEM IS, I FLEW HAWAIIAN IN JANUARY AND FEBRUARY OF 2017. What is going on with the management? Are they that inept or are they trying to get me to use the miles for some magazine they offered on the back of the letter so that I would not use in for airline tickets?

I reported Fraud charge of $1495.90 on my credit card with Hawaiian Airlines customer service. I was told they will refund me back. After 3 months no refund, nada at all so I file a dispute with my credit card company and my credit card company issue me a credit of $1495.90. 4 months later, which is last week Hawaiian Airlines sent false documents to my credit card company saying that the ticket issue 4 months ago was already used. That pisses me off. First of all, there was no ticket issued, fraud charge was reported the same day. Hawaiian Airlines demanded my card to be charge again for $1495.90. This was ** Hawaiian Airlines is nothing but a fraud. They stole my money now. When I called my credit card company they told me it's hard to get it reversed now because Hawaiian Airlines presented proof that a ticket issued was already used. Ticket my ass, there was no ticket to begin with. This is a big amount of money these ** took from me.

Flew on the 767. Seats are cramped, metal entertainment control box on floor stole legroom, flight staff not friendly, and lavatories were filthy and smelled horrible! Entertainment very expensive! Meal was mediocre! Will never fly with them again!!!

On 4/16/17, I was leisurely on Hawaiian Airlines website checking rates for my Hawaiian wedding scheduled in August 2017. I have already purchased 5 tickets for my immediate family and wanted to potentially purchase an additional ticket for a family member. I noticed the fares for my wedding dates were a lot less than what I paid for and I decided to call reservations to see what my options were.

At approximately 8:30p (CA time) I was transferred to a supervisor, Stephanie, employee # **. Stephanie said she can help me but, there were terms and conditions I needed to agree to including: $40 processing fee per ticket and a credit voucher instead of a refund and that there were no exceptions since "policy is policy". I told her I did not accept that since I was never told this while researching which airlines to use. I asked to speak to her supervisor and Stephanie then said, "I am the highest point of contact and no one else at Hawaiian Airlines could do anything for you." She also said that I'd have to contact Consumer Affairs if I didn't agree with her because she is denying my request to waive the $40 processing fee, period. I insisted she connect me to a different manager and after debating with her over and over and a 5-7 minute hold, I was transferred to Jeremiah, employee # **.

Jeremiah was like a broken record and repeated nearly everything Stephanie said. I felt they were sitting right next to each other since the language was nearly identical. Jeremiah continued to tell me that "policy and policy" and there's nothing else he can do to help. I asked for a different supervisor or manager and he also insisted he was the only one there and no one else can do anything to help. He referred me to consumer affairs and said there is no other option for complaints. I told Jeremiah that I wanted to cancel all 5 of my tickets with Hawaiian Airlines and of course, he throws at me, "Your tickets are non refundable so I cannot fulfill your request." The $40 processing fee per ticket is outrageous! Not acceptable!

Jeremiah employee # ** also stated he was the highest point of contact. $107ea me and Greg - voucher $67ea. $127 Jas - voucher $87 good for 1 yr. $253 Erick - voucher $213 good for 1 yr. $112 mom - voucher $72 good for 1 year. After I was strong-armed to accepting these horrid terms and conditions, I was told about additional terms and conditions (that no one stated to me prior) which include, the voucher is only for the assigned passenger (even though I paid for all tickets!). Also, that the credit voucher will take 4-6 weeks to arrive!

Both managers were unhelpful and continued to throw "policy is policy" with every other sentence! To add insult to injury, as I mentioned that I would be contacting the executive team to voice my concerns of this awful experience, Jeremiah wants to add "this entire call will be documented and they will be able to see everything we talked about" so I responded, "That is exactly what I was hoping for!" Jeremiah then said, "The vouchers will take a long time to get to you so do you just want to end the call?" Are you kidding me!!! At this point I have been on the phone for nearly 1 hour!

These managers are bullies and both treated me like I was a second class citizen! I'm appalled and feel belittled! I haven't even flown on Hawaiian Airlines yet and this has turned into a nightmare! My wedding is supposed to be joyful and the happiest day. I now feel so stressed, bullied and feeling like I'm being forced to do something that is so wrong and unacceptable! I feel that Hawaiian Airlines has stolen $200 (the processing fee x 5 tickets) from me and I do truly feel robbed.

I'm prepared to contact consumer affairs, all local news stations, all social media outlets and deter all my friends and family from ever using Hawaiian Airlines ever! I'm so terribly upset. I'm shaken. I feel this behavior is abuse! My blood pressure is through the roof and I don't understand why I was treated so badly from an airlines I thought was truly focused on excellent customer service. I'm devastated!

UPDATE ON 05/01/2017: This is an update to a review I submitted on 04/17/2017 regarding a terrible customer service experience incident that took place over the phone on 04/16/2017. Hawaiian Airlines officials did respond to my complaint but offered me an impossible resolution that pretty much still has me out of $706.00! Hawaiian Airlines offered to waive the $40.00 per ticket service fee but refused to refund my original form of payment leaving me with credit vouchers that I can not use! I have no plans to travel to Hawaii (other than my wedding which is already paid for) and the credit vouchers are useless. That is $706.00 of my hard earned money tied up in credit vouchers that will never be used so in my eyes, I am still robbed by $706.00!

At the very least I am requesting for these vouchers to be transferrable so someone can use them but at this point, Hawaiian Airlines has overcharged me $706.00 and is getting away with it! The representative that reached out to me even said in her own words "Hawaiian Airlines makes it impossible to claim a credit." I hope Hawaiian Airlines will make good on refunding me my $706.00 or at least make these vouchers transferable. I am still very shaken by my experience with the customer service department and hope for some kind of resolution. Again, due to Hawaiian Airlines only flying to Hawaii, my family and I can not use the credit vouchers within 1 year time. We are truly stuck between an rock and a hard place. Please help.

I stay in Hawaii at my second home every year same time for 20 years. The problem is that my card expires while I'm traveling or within a month. Barclays apparently can not send the card early and on Molokai, we do not have postal delivery and they do not deliver to "general delivery" so they charge me for FedEx delivery. Also since they have a month window of when they send them out it could be sitting anywhere! Apparently there is absolutely no way to change the expiration date, so I also have to cancel card and then get new # to all my autopays.

For a airlines travel card, this is not very smart or consumer friendly. They also do not post transaction for several days, usually about 4-5. All my other cards send a message usually before I even leave the store. In today's fraud culture this is not very smart... They need to get with the times and update their technology. I do like the airlines and fly 3-4 times a year. 90% of time just great service, other hey we all have our off days. They really just need to rethink their association with Barclays. Mahalo.

We love Hawaiian Airlines flight attendants! BUT the corporate end of Hawaiian Airlines is horrible. We added a car to our mainland flight using the Hawaiian Air website and using our Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card. Not once during the transaction did it say we are leaving Hawaiian Air website, it even has the logo on every web page and on all emails relating to this reservation! BUT come to find out all the sudden because I added a rental car (instead of using costco.com like I always do!!) now everything is messed up: 1. No more free checked bag, 2. No more double miles, 3. EXTRA $200 'TRANSACTION FEE' to make changes, 4. Cannot make changes to the flight online anymore, 5. Have to call some horrible call center - maybe in India??

How is this Hawaiian Airlines?? We have always flown them for their great customer service. We are so sad. I went to extend our trip to the mainland on Hawaiian Air website and they say I can't make changes since it is not through Hawaiian Air. I had to call some random number, the guys is in a call center in India and he says $200 for each ticket which I had expected, and now an extra $200 that they call a transaction fee... I ask to talk to a supervisor but he just says he sorry and they can't do anything about it. Basically it is my fault for being a dummy and adding a car. I really feel like this is a scam and I hope others do not fall for it like I did. I wish I could put minus five stars!! I attached my confirmation and went through the process on Hawaiian Air website and added screen shots showing that it never says you are leaving Hawaiian Air and that all the perks will be voided.

I writing you in regards to a recent trip that me and my extended family took to Oahu (HA15 on 02/27 and HA 16 on 03/05, confirmation **). This was my first time flying Hawaiian because of a recommendation of a family member. I must say for the most part all employees were cheerful and accommodating. My granddaughter was excited to see Moana on the side of the plane. Our extended family that was traveling with us upgraded to extra comfort so we did as well in order to have the children traveling with us be able to interact with each other on this long flight. Not long after each flight I received emails asking me to rate each flight to which I promptly filled out the requested information. The following were my concerns; San Diego to Oahu, HA 15. Seat was very uncomfortable, bottom cushion either not enough padding and/or worn out making it difficult to relax.

The flight attendant that was providing service on our side (port side) was rude and unpleasant. She appeared very annoyed anytime I had a interaction with her. She was wearing a apron over her name tag the entire flight that prevented me from obtaining her name. I looked across the aircraft and noted how pleasant and attentive the flight attendant was, constantly interacting with the passengers. In fact my brother was on that side of the plane and stated that the service that he received was impeccable.

Oahu to San Diego, HA 16. The flight attendant(s) that provided service on this flight were GREAT! However I again found the seat very uncomfortable, bottom cushion either not enough padding and/or worn out making it difficult to relax. I'll remember to bring a seat cushion next time. The entertainment systems in the headrest are great when working. I only mention this because just as I was getting settled in to relax the passenger behind me apparently had a problem with his unit because he kept pounding on it which in turn shook my seat and headrest.

Received a follow-up email requesting feedback about my customer service experience with Ms. **, I replied to her email; I responded to both emails from Hawaiian Airlines on February 27nd and March 5th right after both flights touched down with the requested "how was your flight" feedback. I haven't received any contact regarding my concerns/complaints to these surveys so I'm incline to think that they're not of any relevance to Hawaiian Airlines. Two weeks after returning home, not receiving any contact regarding my requested feedback, I made my issues regarding both unpleasant flights directly to CEO Mark Dunkerley's email address and receive an email from customer affairs offering me a fifty dollar travel voucher? Really felt personal seeing it appeared to be a standardized response. A fifty dollar voucher isn't going to persuade me to fly or recommend Hawaiian Airlines to my family, friends, and web contacts.

I complain very seldom and are quick to praise individuals and companies that value my business. In the few times that I felt I needed to contacted a company's CEO they've made direct contact with me and on occasion telephoned me. Thank you for allowing me to vent my displeasure again in the hope that it improves the experience that others may have flying with Hawaiian Airlines. Apparently Hawaiian Airlines doesn't really care about their customers. I'll fly Alaska or United from now on. Hope this feedback helps others when seeking an airline to fly to Hawaii.

On Wednesday, 3/29/2017, my husband, my daughter, and I were on flight HA5 from Las Vegas to Honolulu. I usually pay for upgraded extra comfort seats and this time was no different. I paid for seats 33C, 33D, and 34A. My daughter asked my husband if she could sit by the window (which was an exit row seat) so they switched. A few minutes after boarding, a female flight attendant approached my daughter to ask her age. My daughter told the female flight attendant that she was fourteen. Due to not meeting exit row seat requirements the flight attendant tried to switch my daughter's seat with a stranger who was sitting in coach.

To remedy the situation, my husband and I thought that it would be ok if he took his originally booked seat since he did indeed meet exit row seat requirements. My husband apparently caused a lot of commotion by taking back his booked seat in 34A. A male flight attendant whose name tag said Nick approached my husband and said, "Get ready to move. We looked you up and know what you did". There was no introduction and an unforgettable smirk on his face. I then told him that it was unnecessary to talk to us the way that he was talking. Nick continued to berate us saying, "That's why you booked your reservations separately, to beat the system".

Even the passengers around us could not believe the way he spoke to us. Our reservations were booked separately because I used miles and our Hawaiian Miles credit card to book my husband's ticket, my debit card to book both my daughter's ticket and my ticket. If he had introduced himself and asked nicely as opposed to accusing us of purposefully trying to go around the rules, we would not have been as upset. This attendant purposefully berated and embarrassed my family. My fourteen year old daughter felt as if the whole situation was her fault. She is fourteen for goodness sake.

According to Nick, there is an FAA guideline that states that no one in a party shall sit in an exit row seat if there is a single party member under the age of 15 regardless if an accompanying adult is sitting with the minor. I have still yet to confirm this with the FAA as there is nothing online. So the male attendant proceeded to tell my husband that since we broke the rule my husband would lose his seat in extra comfort. My husband was then forced to switch seats with a stranger in coach. This stranger was a woman who sat in 34C. My family and I do not appreciate the accusations of trying to "beat the system". So not only did we pay for a seat that wasn't given to us, we were berated and embarrassed. Hawaiian airlines prides itself on customer service and aloha. This experience displayed otherwise. I expect the situation to be remedied appropriately as the service received on this flight was absolutely appalling.

Beware of Customer Service. Booked a vacation package for a trip for myself and my 10-year old daughter. I called the hotel with questions and was told that children 17 and under stay free. I called Hawaiian Airlines to change the package and remove the hotel portion for my daughter, I spent over an hour on the phone... mysteriously transferred to someone else, had to explain everything all over again and the 2nd agent didn't seem to understand a word I said, she just repeated herself over and over again. Will never use this service ever again, nor will I recommend it.

My flight on Hawaiian Airlines had been delayed repeatedly so I almost missed the last connecting flight of the evening. Upon arriving to HNL there had been multiple gate changes which were not updated on the monitor in the terminal. I ran as fast as I could to find my departing gate. As I arrived at the gate I indicated to the gate agent it's very frustrating to not know which gate to be at, the employee responded, "Well you are here now". Very rude when a simple apology was in order. I needed to contact my husband to let him know of the flight change so he could pick me up. As I entered the aircraft I asked the flight attendant what time we would land and he rudely responded, "Depends on what time we depart." He didn't offer to expand or help.

I proceeded to find my seat then sat down. My row was empty so I put my backpack on the seat next to me trying to get settled in from the stress and trying to contact my husband before the door closed. The same flight attendant walks down the aisle and says to me, "Your backpack must be put underneath the seat." He was extremely rude again and mind you the door to the aircraft still hadn't closed. I responded to him, "Yes I know." The flight attendant then asks for my boarding pass, I locate it and hand it to him not knowing why he is requesting it. He snatches the boarding pass from my hand and walks away down the aisle. Soon after an Air Marshall walks down the aisle to speak to me. He says, "You have an attitude with the flight attendant." I responded "No sir I did not and I feel harassed by him. His response was, "No you are not being harassed! Can you fly tonight without incident or do I need to contact the police?"

So completely startled as to why this gentleman is even talking to me I respond, "Yes no problem." I did not move the entire flight for fear of encountering the same flight attendant. We landed and I stood up to deplane but thought to myself I need to report this employee. I asked a female flight attendant behind me if I may have the name of the senior flight attendant of this flight. Her response was, "Everything you need to know is in your flight record." Once again just rude and inconsiderate responses. I didn't ask anything further and just proceeded down the aisle. As I pass the male flight attendant, he says in a loud obnoxious voice, "What does her shirt say?" I was in a work uniform with a logo on it.

As I reach the end of the jetway and step into the airport I hear over the radio "Stop that woman in a uniform." The employees ask me for my boarding pass which I no longer had as it was never returned to me. I responded, "I don't have it. Your flight attendant took it from me." I proceeded out of the airport and left. The male flight attendant was a young local and so was the air Marshall who boarded the plane to speak with me. Over the years I've heard stories of locals harassing people from the mainland but never experienced anything of this magnitude. I was traveling alone away from home and terrified by these employees. At no time did I break any federal laws, and not one employee could explain what I did wrong. I am deeply disturbed to know Hawaiian Airlines employs locals that display this type of behavior to their passengers. I will be escalating the incident to their executive office and seek legal council.

I don't recommend Hawaiian Airlines to anyone. I've been trying to use my 80000 + miles to book flights. Apparently though, HA doesn't set aside very many seats for its loyalty program members. We started trying to book flights approximately a hundred days before our vacation (right after my fiancee had her vacation approved). That wasn't good enough to get flights at decent times. We're faced with either leaving very early or very late both coming and going. What did their customer service tell me we should do? They said we should have booked when they opened up the flights for booking - 330 days ahead. REALLY??? That would have been totally unrealistic for us and I think many other people. Why don't you just add more seats for people who are members of your program? Loyalty isn't a one way street. What makes it worse is Hawaiian Airlines doesn't care.

Sat in the airplane for over 2 hours while they were waiting for some other flights to arrive with no real ideas as to when that was going to happen. Really bad communication and customer service. I have had a bad Hawaiian Air experience before so I should have learned my lesson but thought I would give them another try. The spirit OF Aloha is a two-way street. Treat your customers better!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Jan 6th 2017 arrived at airport to find flight delayed. Noticed we would miss connection. Called customer service. Was told after 20 min they had put us on a flight arriving at 730 pm. I explained I had grandkids arriving at Lihue Airport and they would be alone for approx 6 hrs. She told me to talk to agent at the airport. When she arrived she referred me back to customer service. Called again after I went online and found a flight leaving Kauai to Lihue getting there at 230pm with 9 seats available. The phone agent said she couldn't get me those because I purchased coach and those were preferred seating.

After going back and forth she told me to speak to agent in Maui. On the flight to Maui we were told that they were going to hold the plane. That didn't happen. We ran to the gate just as they closed the door. Agent in Maui said no seats available. Sent me to Island Air to buy tickets. They sent me back. Different agent was now at the counter helping explained she said no seats. I asked what other airline Flys to Lihue so I can buy a ticket. She said "Oh you want to buy a ticket." I said "No but I won't leave my grandkids alone so I have no choice." Her reply was "I have two first class seats for sale on the next flight. The total will be 628.00."

I bought the tickets and this was the same flight I had been trying to get on all day. I have flown Hawaiian for 16 years but will now search other airlines. After I use my ticket that we didn't use which now I hear that will cost 200.00 to change, what a scam. And this is the short version of my whole experience. I also faxed a 7-page complaint the day after we returned on the 17th and I have not heard back from Hawaiian Airlines.

Bought a ticket for 628$. Had to change for medical reasons. The ticket price was 403$. I had to pay a 200$ change fee but apparently you don't get any credit for the amount you paid if the subsequent ticket is less that what you paid. BUT if it costs more, you pay the difference. So even though they say you have 628$ travel credit, you only have as much credit as the next flight you take PLUS you pay 200$ extra to change. They keep you on hold forever, speak horrible English and basically are robbing their passengers.

I have use Hawaiian airline credit card for the last 13 years and never used any miles for a ticket. I called them multiple times before last thanksgiving and I was told that it was too soon for me to use my miles for a flight. I called today 1/5/17 and I was told that they have no seats available for my family and I. After I got a supervisor on the line, I was told that I only have a little less than 360k miles. Over the last 13 years, I know that I have had more than 360k miles. I have demanded an audit to no avail. If 13 years cannot get you and your family a free trip to Hawaii for a week then what is the use of the credit card at all. What a ripoff.

Having turned up early for the flight we are told delayed by 6 hrs due to yesterday's fog at San Diego (everyday occurrence). 12 hours to put it right but they claim it is still an act of god...not an excuse. Do not use this company. Fly Alaska Airlines!

Synopsis: Cabin crew turned down the temperature to a painfully low 53 degrees and forced passengers to purchase their "souvenir gift blanket and pillow set" or suffer what I consider to be inhumane treatment. Details: My wife and I went to Maui in early December to escape the unusually cold weather in California. We loved the weather in Maui. But on our return flight (flight 42 from OGG to SAN Francisco, Dec. 10, 2016), we were forced to endure painfully cold temperatures so the crew could sell more blankets.

How do I know this? 1) At the beginning of the flight, the flight attendants all wore thick black long-sleeved jackets, while the rest of us were dressed like we were on vacation in Hawaii. The cabin crew knew in advance how cold it was going to be. 2) Nearly everyone around me purchased the blanket because they had no choice. It was "pay up or suffer." 3) Within an hour of selling as many blankets as they possibly could, and more than they sell online in a year, the crew turned up the heat and took off their jackets. 4) At the end of the flight, many passengers left the blankets on the seat. They didn't buy them because they wanted to; they bought them because they had to.

If there is a good attorney out there reading this, please initiate a class action lawsuit demanding that HA stop this practice, apologize to their customers, refund all blanket purchases for the past two years (all of which were bought with credit cards) and offer all passengers something for their suffering. Greed is one thing; torturing the customers that entrusted you with their well being in order to squeeze a few more dollars out of them is something else. I rate this airline as scum.

My family and I made our reservations a year out from our trip to Hawaii. My trip is six months out as of right now and I had to make a change to my reservation. My husband and I purchased our entire family ticket on our credit card and we are flying first class. We are talking of some $8,000 and his sister was unable to pay for her share of the trip so someone else is willing to pick up the seat and go with the family.

I went online and I attempted to make a change but I was unable to make any changes to the reservation. I then called the 1800 number and I would get a person in the Philippines all the time with a horrible accent. I stated I need to make a change to my reservation and they said I was unable to and they then gave me the 1888 number to the trip insurance we bought. Then the call would be disconnected. No "thank you for calling" or "can I transfer you..."

I then asked to speak with a supervisor, and kept on getting the runaround with agents stating that there was no supervisor on the floor, not there, or whatever excuse they could seem to come up with. After a long wait (some two to three hours with multiple hang-ups from various customer service representatives) I then spoke with a supervisor who said she would be able to make a change to my reservation but the airline would charge me $200.00 X 6 (total passengers going). That's a $1200.00 penalty for the switch. Is this real? I can understand a one-time charge of the $200.00, but not for every passenger. The frustrating part is that my In-laws are trying to do their 30th wedding anniversary and vow renewal in Hawaii. That now seems impossible.

I bought two tickets to Hawaii in May. When I went to check in 24 hours in advance, they assigned me a seat and didn't assign a seat to my significant other. I called to complain and the lady wouldn't let me talk to her manager. Basically they wanted us to pay $50 for me to switch my crappy middle seat to sit next to her even though the seat next to her was free! I HATE Hawaiian Airlines. What horrible company. I hope they go out of business.

I am planning to move from Honolulu to the mainland & wanted to book our flights but before this I decided to call HA & make sure there would be no problem taking my 6 lb Chihuahua in airline approved kennel in the cabin with me. As the girl on the phone is reading a disclosure statement to me she reads off that the kennel must be able to fit under the seat in front of me in coach class. I asked her how much is the height under the seat & she said 9 inches.

Well first of all they don't make a kennel 9 inches tall that a dog can stand up & turn around in that would fit under a seat in coach class, & besides that no animal lover would stuff their pet under a seat on a plane in coach or for that matter 1st class either. That would be cruel & inhumane to do. Needless to say we will never give our business to HA ever, ever. SHAME ON HAWAIIAN AIRLINES. THEY NOT SO PET FRIENDLY AIRLINE not to mention $175 they will charge at the gate. Glad I didn't book that airline.

On the return trip from Kona back to Oahu flight HA 189 a day that started at 0200 ended with me still waiting to leave at 1700. We normally book later return flights to cover any contingencies knowing that there are usually no problems with changing return trips. Wrong. My whole unit was able to change their flights, except for myself who had gotten there earlier to drop off an excess baggage delivery before everyone else. I was prompted to check in my bags after I checked in, so that I could then change my flight. Knowing they had custody of the item I thought nothing of it. Only to be told that there were indeed seats available on the 2 hours earlier flight but they refused to change it because my item was already checked in for the later flight.

I let the attendant know that I had just handed it to the TSA personnel just 4 feet from us less than 2 min ago. She then responded that TSA wouldn't allow the change to which I responded by going to the TSA agent. They had no issue with the change. It was on the airline to just ask their workers in the "back" as the attendant described earlier to just change it. The TSA agent even came to the desk to ask why they wouldn't change it. The response was simply "we can't." After this, to add insult to injury, the flight was over an hour late. I'm actually still waiting. I will have to work out alternate transportation when and if I finally get home tonight. One word for this airline, Horrible.

This is a problem I would like to share hoping that other Hawaiian Airlines customers have suggestions or similar experiences. My account online reservation modification feature has been "disabled" for the past several days. As a Pualani Platinum member the feature to change a reservation online is important and not having it is very inconvenient. The error message I get online when attempting to change a reservation is WEB: BK 100? I have spoken to the HA web support agents as well as emailed the company with no explanation what the problem is and that calling into their reservations department is my only alternative to making changes.

It seems the control of this and other features offered to customers are being withheld without our knowledge and without respectful explanation at the company's discretion. Anyone care to comment? I have given up and will have to call them for assistance. And by the way a Pualani Platinum member has to travel at least 40,000 miles per year.

This terrible experience began with booking. We booked with our miles, and was told that we can only upgrade our seats 24 hours prior to the flight. Okay, we then called exactly 24 hours before take off, they told us, "Oh no, you have to check with the gate agents." I insisted them to check for the upgrades. They then told me, "Oh yeah, please pay this much, we will upgrade you right now."

The call got dropped by them, called back, dropped again, called back. They was told, "Nope, you have to get to the airport and upgrade..." At this point, I am totally confused. I asked to speak with the supervisor. She came on after 15 mins, then told me that the seats are sold out! After being told 3 different versions of their OWN policy, no one seemed to be on the same page. And we lost our seats. If you can avoid booking with Hawaiian Airlines, please DO!

My wife, kids and myself flew into SFO late last night from Maui. We had to wait about 20-30 minutes to receive our strollers at gate check. We were the last family to receive ours. We ran to the restroom to use the bathroom and changed diapers. We then proceeded downstairs to baggage claim at approx 10:50 only to find that our bags have already been removed. We then spent the next hour and a half trying to locate them with no success. There was no Hawaiian Airline representation that we could find. We checked with airport services and they suggested we check with the check-in counter or use the white service phone to call them. The check-in counter was already closed so I called the 1800 number and the guy informed me that unfortunately the baggage service department is closed and he could only provide me with the number but I would have to leave a voicemail.

We then proceeded down back stairs to baggage claim and spoke with the JetBlue representative that was there and she tried to call the number and she had no luck. I proceeded to the Alaska Airlines baggage service which is across the hall and asked their representative if he had any suggestions and he said Hawaiian only has offices and no official baggage desk at SFO but most airlines will deliver. I tried the 1800 number one last time in hopes of getting a different response but unfortunately the representative apologized and said there was really nothing she could do besides provide the numbers to the departments that were already closed. So from 10:50-12:30am we ran around the baggage claim and the airport with a 4-year-old, 2-year-old and 4-month-old that were overly tired trying to find someone to help us find our luggage.

Finally we gave up and figured the best option was to drive home and call in the morning to get the bags delivered. I called the next morning and spoke with a representative who informed me because it was our fault they would not deliver and we had to pick the bags up from SFO, but we drove back to our home in Sacramento. I pleaded with her on what happened and she said it was still our fault and they would not deliver. I asked to speak with the manager and she handed the phone to Gladis who stated the same thing and said per the file a representative waited until 12 for us, called us and paged us. All which never happened as I received no calls and we were in the baggage claim until 1230 with my wife crying and our 3 kids. I told Gladis this and the steps we tried to take to get our luggage.

I also informed her about the 1800 number and she said they would have not told us that and they would have connected us to baggage because it is 24 hours. And she also stated that someone waited for us. This was very frustrating as I felt she wasn't listening to anything I was saying and basically stating all my statements were false. I expressed this to her and she got very defensive and expressed the best she could do is send our luggage on a United flight to Sacramento. This appeared to be the only option as we also tried to speak to another manager, Ryan, and I attempted to call customer service line and speak with a manager but the rep, Hershey, told me I had to submit this online. This experience honestly was terrible. I understand things happen and if they pulled the luggage and we had to drive home without it, there are worse things that could have happened.

But what really frustrates me is the interaction with Gladis and the baggage department in refusing to deliver because it was "our fault" and they had a file note (third hand story) on what happened. I would love to see the phone records of the person that tried to call me that night, or we can talk to the JetBlue or Alaska Airlines representatives who tried to help us and they can attest that there was no one there after 11. I also am attaching a picture that was taken at 11:43pm (8:43pm Hawaiian time) that shows us in the terminal at the time there was supposedly a Hawaiian Airlines rep there waiting for us according to the "file". I have flown with Hawaiian before and honestly it was great and the flight to and back was excellent.

However this situation really disappointed me and how I and my wife were talked to is unacceptable. I really hope this is an isolated incident and not representation of your company’s culture. I felt this information needed to be passed along because it completely is against your mission of being passionate for customers and people. My phone number is **. I would love to speak with a live person that is willing to listen and not be defensive and engage in an argument like the previous interaction.

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.
  • VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.
  • Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.
  • Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.
  • Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.
  • Best for Vacationers and holiday travelers.

Compare Airlines