3.8/5 (217 ratings)

About Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Would give them 0 if I could. The most unfriendly staff I ever experienced. Did not want to help me at all. I had a refundable 1st class ticket from United Airlines which included a leg on Hawaii airlines from Kona to Honolulu. We got to the airport 3 hours ahead of the flight cause we were told to by Hawaiian airlines. I had back surgery 2 months ago and sitting outside in the heat was not ideal. When I asked to be switched to an earlier flight I was told NO, even though there were seats available. I even told them that I will forgo my first class and will sit in coach and still rudest "no", I ever heard. I will never use this airline ever again. Southwest does flights between islands too.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

From abandoning our dog at the airport in HNL to losing our luggage, to gaslighting, to lying. Hawaiian Airlines tops these categories. We flew Hawaiian from SFO to HNL for our move to island. We are a military family stationed in Honolulu. We checked our luggage with Hawaiian Airlines and board the plane. The flight itself was nice but when we landed, the nightmare began.

We flew with one dog in cabin and one in cargo. The airline once in HNL is to escort your pet in cargo to the quarantine center but that's not what happened. Instead, my husband, our 1 yr old, and myself are escorted to quarantine for our pet we brought in cabin. He is then checked and cleared. We ask about our pet in cargo and if he is ready and they inform us that he hasn't made it to the quarantine center yet (it had already been an hour since our plane landed and our pet in cargo isn't there yet?). So we head over to baggage claim to gather our 14 pieces of luggage and this is when we notice our dog (that flew in cargo) was left completely unattended in baggage claim. There was a crowd of people swarming him, poking at his crate with no Hawaiian Airline employee in site.

We were told by our friend (who had no clue that was our pet) that he saw Hawaiian Airline employee shove him off the elevator and leave him there. So, we clear the path and check on him and husband is calling around trying to figure out what went wrong and what to do. The quarantine center wouldn't allow us (owners) to escort our pet to quarantine, they said the airline needs to. But they abandoned him in baggage claim....

Time goes by and we are waiting for someone to address our concerns and get our pet to quarantine. We notice a crucial piece of our luggage is missing.

I head over to the Hawaiian Airlines baggage claim counter to find the missing luggage to which they inform me that all luggage has made it here and to wait longer as large items can come last. We wait 45 minutes and go back to the counter to which they say, "Wait longer."

We are now at a 2 hour mark of waiting for luggage, our pet hasn't been escorted to quarantine and the airline upon a third check informs me that the luggage actually never left SFO airport. What did they miss the first time? Then they have us fill out a claim form and a "manager", Michael, from the airline comes over to speak with my husband about the mishap with our dog. Ensures us this is not normal practice and honest mistake and that pets are never to be left unattended. He gives us his card and says, "Call with any concerns" (he never answered or returned our calls after we left that day). I call around and wait 3 hours with Hawaiian Airlines multiple times and never got to speak to anyone.

The SFO Hawaiian Airlines number would ring and hang up on you, Michael the manager locally won't return our calls. Our emails go unanswered as well. Completely ignored by the airline as a whole. I decided to look up contact info for CEO Peter Ingram and call him to which I leave a voicemail asking for a call back to discuss poor business practices. I actually got a call back and they needed to get off the phone and politely said they would call me back that day BUT never did.

8 days go by and I get a call from a Hawaiian Airlines rep informing me they have our missing luggage. She quickly puts blame on me insisting I checked my luggage in at American Airlines and never checked with Hawaiian. (How do we have a bag tag with Hawaiian! They confirmed the luggage never left SFO. We didn't pay for invisible luggage. We paid Hawaiian and literally says Hawaiian. Make it make sense). She says that the claim I submitted with my Hawaiian Airlines had a wrong tag on it so I must have checked at American. No. We didn't magically check all our luggage at Hawaiian, they put it on a belt and we take it off a belt to go recheck it at Another Terminal for an airline we aren't even flying.

When I pick up the missing luggage, I see clear as day our information (phone number) available for them to call and a sticky note where they say they called several times only to get fax machine sound. They wrote their version of our number on this note and it was written incorrectly. They tried to cover up any fault on their end and it was so poorly executed. So in total, lied to, gaslit, abandoned our pet, ignored by everyone at the airline. Nightmare. Still no apology or anything. Not even a sorry.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2022

It has been 11 weeks since my suitcase was damaged on the flight from Honolulu to Hilo. I have a claim report number. On the service phone you never get out of the waiting loop, e-mails are not answered. this is an impertinence. Where can I enforce my rights?

Original review: July 15, 2022

I been flying out to Hawaii once a month for past 9 months to check on my 90-year-old dad. An incident happened with caretaker and police, I needed to come out immediately to family emergency and change flight date. Never had an issue with Delta or United with exchanging my ticket. Hawaiian Airlines would not change my ticket or refund the money. So basically I was out $400. They do not care or have any compassion regarding anything besides you're stuck with the ticket no matter what the issue is. Don't fly Hawaiian if you have to change of plan. They won't work with you NO MATTER WHAT!

Original review: July 7, 2022

I recently traveled on flight HA030 from Hawaii to Seattle. We had to wait in a 2 hour long queue before boarding. My parents aged 75+ are diabetic. There was no Vegan/ Vegetarian food option on the flight and the attendant didn't care a zilch about not having food for us on a 5 1/2+ hour journey. I will never fly Hawaiian Airlines again after this experience.

Original review: June 20, 2022

I have been requesting a refund for a year now. Hawaiian Air keeps saying fill out a form. I have done 3 forms to date and still no refund. I have been spending hours and days on this. I will never fly Hawaiian Air ever again. No one is following through with just telling my credit card company "Yes it is a refund". They really don't care!!!!

Original review: June 13, 2022

While booking flight promotion popped up saying I could receive 300.00 off this flight by apply for Hawaiian credit card master card. Long story short did apply and was approved. While booking a screen popped up saying I was approved. When I went to pay for my flight nowhere to deduct the amount of 300 dollars. After waiting hours to call the open at 0800 office was passed around to different departments till I insisted on a manager. He said he would hold the fair at the 300 price for 3 days. Told him the email said I wouldn’t get the card for 7-10 days. He said wasn’t anything else he could do. Then I had to go to the underwriter of the card Barclays to cancel card and not be charged the 100.00/yr subscription cost for the card. This entire scam started and ended over a 5 hour period of time speaking to different departments. This is consumer bait and switch scam.

Original review: June 6, 2022

Have flown every airline and Hawaiian is the absolute worst! Paid for premium economy and was no different than economy. Same seats, same food and we were told we could not stretch our legs because the area in front of our seats was considered a walk way. Booked 6 months in advance and chose flight based on available seats. When we were boarding instead of the front row we reserved they changed our seats to the back. Unacceptable!!!!

Original review: June 6, 2022

They refused to refund my return ticket while I paid for the fare difference above and beyond my travel credit. They are offering only travel credits now. Please learn something from Southwest Airlines!!

Original review: May 17, 2022

I was on chat with a representative with Hawaiian Airlines regarding booking a flight and the discounts the offer if apply and approved for a Hawaiian airlines card and miles account. Representative advised me to put a fare hold on and purchase the tickets once I received my card and companion discount. Did as two representatives advised and first did not get the card on the date as promise and paid for expedite mail and then when I attempted to apply the discount, they told me that it would not apply to a held flight, that I can pay full price and use the coupon on another date or cancel the hold and pay the higher airfare fee. So I am being held accountable for their agent's misinformation. Horrible customer service and does not hold their agents accountable. Did not book, because they will not get anymore money out of me.

Hawaiian Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information