1.32/5
Based on 197 reviews that contain star ratings

232 Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was standing in line for security with my daughter who was screaming for me to hold her. I couldn’t hold her because I was carrying 3 bags and my arms were full. My husband went to drop the car off and by the time he got his boarding pass and found us we were at the entrance to get inside to security. He tried to come stand with us (not crossing any barriers) and he was told that he could not cut because it was a “TSA line and all of your things have to be checked by the dog”. We hadn’t even gotten inside yet or to the dog!

They separated us, while my daughter was screaming, and told my husband he had to go to the end of the line or they were going to call security. We will never fly with them again. Another HA employee said “well that’s too bad” when I told her I needed help with my daughter and I was really overwhelmed. She finished by saying “you should have went with him to drop the car off and then get in line together.” Worst customer service I have EVER experienced.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When Flying out of Honolulu back to Phoenix AZ. We weighed our luggage at the courtesy scale and repack area as one bag was close, so we lighted it up a bit as it weighed in a 48 pounds and got it down to 44 pounds. I took it over to the scale at the automated bag drop off and it was it now weighed 63 pounds back to the courtesy scale and it was 44 pounds. Our other bags were also weighing much heavier than they did on the courtesy scale. I approached a couple of employees and wanted to show them the difference between the two scales. They replied, "We work with Hawaiian Airlines but not for Hawaiian Airlines. You need to talk to a Hawaiian Airline employee." The Hawaiian Airline employee said we needed to talk to one of the baggage people. The people who told us we need to talk a Hawaiian Airline employee (the classic run-around). So we didn’t miss the flight we pay for an overweight bag.

Upon arriving in Phoenix we reweighed the bag on the Phoenix Airport scale and it weighed 44 pounds. On another scale in the airport it weighed the same. While in the boarding line a couple other people said they had a similar experience. When arriving home we weighed all the bag again. They all matched the weight given by the courtesy scales in the Honolulu and Phoenix airports. Yet the actual baggage scale weighed all bags much higher. Hawaiian Airlines where you can’t find one employee to check the scale. So we pay the extra money on top of their standard outrageous baggage fees. We could not find anyone that even showed the slightness of concern on what is wrong with your scale, that had been replaced with just pay the fee. So we did and will never fly with them again. Southwest Airlines hurry up with your plans to fly to HI.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I tried to purchase 2 tickets for a round trip from Kahului to Portland for $830.00. For some reason the transaction wouldn't go through. I went to check my bank account and there was a pending transaction from Hawaiian Airlines for 516.00. Which is weird since that was more than one ticket and less than 2. I called and they said indeed the transaction didn't go through, and the hold should drop in 24 to 48 hours. 3 days later the transaction was still there so not only did it not drop but it went through and I still don't have any confirmed tickets.

I call again and they indeed have no record of a transaction going through. I have disputed the charge now with my bank. I have also sent 6 emails about getting my refund with no answer besides the one saying they were forwarding it to accounting 10 days ago. I sent another email last night demanding a refund and telling them after this I will no longer fly with them. Still no answer. It's more a lack of customer service than it is the refund at this point. Over 2 weeks later I still have no refund and am waiting for my bank to do its job with the dispute. Hawaiian Airlines after 20 years of flying with you... I am done.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Purchased 2 tickets on Apr 13, from SAN to HNL for Oct. travel, main cabin on departure, Extra Comfort on return. We paid $1153. Today the same exact flight with Extra Comfort both ways is now $1193. The fares dropped $60 per ticket. When we called to try to arrange Extra Comfort for both ways, and were willing to pay the $40 difference, we were told that we would have to pay $80 for a change fee, plus $40 per ticket processing fee. That would be a total of $160 more than what we paid. This makes absolutely no sense, and we feel that HA should allow us to pay only the $40 difference to get Extra Comfort both ways. This is a horrible nickel and dime policy that leaves a very negative opinion with its loyal customers as anyone reading this can tell by the number of poor reviews.

We go to Hawaii every year and tried another airline 1 time and that reminded us why we always flew HA. But here we are freeing up 2 main cabin seats giving them the potential to make $872 more dollars on top of the $40 we were willing to pay on seats that are more than likely not going to sell by the time we travel. I guess next year we will be trying another airline once again, more than likely Southwest Airlines seeing as they will be flying to Hawaii by this time next year. With the upcoming competition HA will be forced to lower their prices, but better customer service is how you confront that by keeping the customers they have now. Big mistake, I am just one of hundreds of thousands that will be looking elsewhere for Hawaii travel.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Unable to get a refund for change fees due to Hurricane Olivia. Was told to contact Consumer Affairs if a travel waiver was issued. 2 calls, 2 e-mails, 1 fax and two weeks later, still no response from HA Consumer Affairs. I just got off the phone with a customer service rep in a foreign call center who told me that she could not connect me to Consumer Affairs and all supervisors were busy. I will now file a complaint with US Dept. of Transportation. Customer service is horrible!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have redeemed my miles for Maui Jim sunglass certificate, hoping to receive an email. It has been over month and a half, summer is ending and no sunglass certificate. I have been calling since, every time I receive the same answer, it takes 7-10 business days, the issue has been escalated, someone will reach out... No progress, no calls back, just promises... Even 50K miles doesn't buy you a ticket from Southern Cal, its miles plus almost the same price w/o miles... no joy with Hawaiian Airline promises. I will fly Alaskan instead and DO NOT SIGN UP for their CREDIT CARD.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs back in June 07, 2018 for lost baggage flying from LAX to Kona on return flight baggage was damaged. I Had to call numerous times to follow up on my complaint and was told by customer service that someone would be contacting me. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that a supervisor was not available. Now we are in August and still have not heard from anyone. I will no longer be flying Hawaiian Airlines.

Original review: July 26, 2018

When Hawaiian Airlines has competition again, they will improve their app. Unsure why after all these years, it remains the same despite the ongoing complaints about it. We went to a neighbor island last week, and the friendliest agent assisted us without being asked and helped us quickly get our bags weighed and got all of us checked in. We've had other wonderful experiences and not so wonderful, so it's hard to tell what might happen on any flight. Most of us rely on our phones now and the app creates unnecessary and avoidable stress. If I had to offer any suggestions, it would be to start with the app and make it user-friendly instead of user-irritated.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My husband and I caught a flight from Kona Airport to Haneda, Tokyo on 7/11/18. Due to road repair traffic, we were under the mandatory hour check in for our international flight. We understand that however, after explaining reason for our late arrival, the supervisor said, "Oh well not my fault, No you cannot make the flight baggage already loaded. The best I can do is have you come back Fri. 7/13, or Sun 7/15 and see if you can fly out then, No available flight already from here or Honolulu, but not sure if you have to buy whole new ticket for Fri. or Sun. may not honor this ticket ."

My husband is wheelchair dependent but is able to stand and pivot. She said, "Look your husband humbug, he able to walk up ramp?" I was desperate at this point and said yes, he cannot knowing how steep the ramp is. Proceeds to say, "If you go on flight can you just take a carry on?" I said, "Yes please! Anything to catch the flight, I will buy all new clothes in Japan." There were 2 others there, one a Hawaiian air employee and the other a porter who was so helpful and said, "We will help you pack your carry on," they proceeded to take all what I had in my large suitcase and manage to fit it all in to my carry on suitcase and 2 bags.

Also said, "Look at the security line so long. You not going to make it!" I got my tickets after all that and the porter went in the front of the line to get us checked through TSA. We made it and there were passengers not boarded the plane yet, and we were not the last as well, others were behind us. I gave my suitcase to the porter, I was so thankful to the supervisor and the employee at the desk for allowing us to catch the flight. Boarded the flight in adequate time to sit and settle comfortably.

In flight I was making sure I had my necessary belongings and medications etc... the stewardess asked what I was doing, I told her what happened. She suggested I write to this e-mail and gave me the card with information of Consumer Affairs Office. She encouraged me to write this up because of the explanations said to my husband and myself. Who says to the customer, "Look your husband in wheelchair humbug, Oh well. Not my fault you late, security line too long, you not going to make it, humbug, you can only take carry on" when in fact the airline was still loading. I hope no one has to hear what I heard about your love one(s). Thank You.

Original review: July 17, 2018

DO NOT FLY HAWAIIAN AIRLINES. We went to Kauai for our wedding. Our return flight happened to be Hawaiian Airlines. We were to fly from Kauai to Honolulu Friday June 15 and then immediately to San Diego. The plane was late getting to Kauai. Once we boarded, we sat at the terminal for over 30 minutes. No pilots. Just ground crew all huddled in the cabin. Finally the pilots came in and were huddled with the ground crew. A while later a flight attendant came aboard and stated due to mechanical issues we need to deplane. Half the people aboard deplaned when the attendant came back on and said that we have the all clear to depart therefore everyone that deplaned was coming back on. About a minute after that, we were told to deplane and go to the next gate and get on that plane. We deplaned and hopped on the next plane.

Once we were close to Honolulu the attendants came on the speakers and advised everyone which gate to go to depending on their destination. For those of us going to San Diego she advised us to go to the service desk, which means we aren't going anywhere. Once at the service desk there were only a few people in front of us. It took the employees forever to help them. One employee wound up leaving with some customers to a different desk due to printer issues. A while later the other employee left with customers as well for the same reason. BOTH employees said they'd be back. They never came. While waiting with my wife and 8 month old, my mother in law went to stand in line at another service desk. Eventually I went over there as well.

We finally were able to make it up to an employee so I called my wife to come to us. The employee said, "We have no flights for you so we have to book you on the same flight tomorrow." FINE. They gave us vouchers for two hotel rooms at Ala Moana, 3 dinner vouchers at $20.00 each, there were 3 adults, and these vouchers can only be used at the restaurants listed on the vouchers. 3 breakfast vouchers for $10.00 each good only at one place at the hotel, and vouchers for taxi to and from hotel. They also gave us new boarding passes for the next day. However, they did not give us a boarding pass for my 8 month old infant. Instead they wrote the words W/ INF on my ticket. They said we did not need a separate boarding pass for her. On top of this, we seemed to be missing our baggage. They didn't know where it was but gave us tickets for our baggage stating it may have went to San Diego.

We get to the hotel that has a ridiculous line. I find a Mgr who helped us get in quick. PROBLEM - We have no luggage and minimal items for our 8 month old, and no items for us. We HAD to go to the Target in the attached plaza to buy formula as well as multiple items for our infant, as well as items for ourselves. DINNER - The vouchers were $20.00 per person only at the places listed on the vouchers. Keep in mind they are all MAJOR restaurants, not cheap. We decided on Macaroni Grill. We did not get out of there for $20.00 per person. We had to pay the remainder out of pocket. BREAKFAST - 3 $10.00 breakfast vouchers only good at one place at the hotel. Unfortunately that place only serves a buffet priced at $18.00 per person. You do the math - $30.00 in vouchers, but a total bill of over $54.00. We had to pay the rest.

We get back to airport next day, Honolulu Airport, horrible. We get to TSA and the jerk TSA guy verified us and our boarding passes then asked for my infant's pass. I said they didn't give us one. He immediately gave our passes back and said, "You need one." I explained the situation from the day earlier to him and what they said about the boarding pass for my daughter and that they wrote W/ INF on my pass. He said that won't work. After becoming highly irritated and a little loud, an older TSA guy comes over and says what's the problem. The jerk TSA guy tells him we don't have a boarding pass for my child.

The older guy said that we need one for her. I explained the situation to him and advised him they wrote W/ INF on my pass. The older TSA guy then says "oh, let me see them", he looks at my pass then looks at the jerk TSA and says, "That's fine, they are good to go." The jerk TSA then says "I know. That's what I've been telling them, it's fine. It's written on the pass." I then said to both of them "Excuse me? You told me we needed a separate pass for her and refused to let us through and I advised you 3 times it's written on my pass." Anyways, we got through.

BOARDING - Prior to our plane arriving for us, some flight attendants came to the gate to wait for the plane. One of the female attendants very loudly and rudely said to another attendant "Is there a more sanitary place we can wait?" RUDE. Once our plane arrived and it was time to board, we were in front with some other people who had an infant. Once boarding began, we were first in line. The ** Hawaiian Airlines employee at the gate said we need a boarding pass for my 8 month old. Immediately pissed off I was. I explained to him what happened and he said sorry, that's not how it works. It can't be written on the pass. I told him I specifically asked that the prior day and they said it was fine. He said "Nope, that's not how it works." Exactly like that. Eventually he said to write my daughter's info down on a piece of paper which I did and he said "I will make sure she gets into the system and you can board, but that's not how it works."

WOW - WTH? Is their customer service really this bad? Eventually we got to Honolulu and our baggage was there and we left. We also had to pay an extra day for our car to be parked there due to the delay. Only way for reimbursement is to fax it in which I did the following week. Receipts, passes, everything. Total cost to us due to the delay was just under $400.00. Still waiting to hear from them. I called Hawaiian and a lady helped me out, after a long hold she said she found my case and gave me the case # and advised me to call back whenever I want to find out the status of my case. I said, "Well I'm calling now and want to know the status." She said they are reviewing it and again to call back whenever.

It's now a month later and I have not heard a thing. How is Hawaiian Airlines still in business? Their employees clearly aren't trained well if at all. No one knows what they are doing. A lot of their employees are very rude. DO NOT EVER fly with them. You will most likely regret it. The night at the hotel I Googled reviews about Hawaiian Airlines, and they were mostly bad and were all the same problems we had. Ridiculous.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Hawaiian Airlines has absolutely THE WORST customer service. If you ever have any issues and need to talk about fixing it - there is NO ONE TO TALK ON THE PHONE. Their customer affairs department that handles issues is only accessible via on-line submission form, and they're just going to send you the same response, no matter whether it resolves your problem or not. If you call - they will tell you there is no way to talk to consumer affairs department, and just keep sending them messages. RIDICULOUS!

We boarded a plane and were sitting on the plane for 1.5 hrs with no idea of why we are not taking off, no communications from the staff. Nobody was able to give us any information on what kind of “issues” are those. We had to get off the plane and only after numerous inquiries and concerns raised one of the staff told us it was an issue with pilot’s communication system. 2 hours later from the original departure time, we boarded the plane again, and took off. The plane was freezing cold and I was told I have to purchase blankets if we’re cold, and they can’t change the temperature. Other people were freezing too, and there was nothing done about it. Additionally, there were electrical issues and our monitors weren’t working for a long time. They said we will all get unlimited entertainment package for our inconvenience, but it never happened.

20 min into the flight one of the passengers had medical issue. Within minutes this man collapsed in front of our eyes and they started performing CPR on him, alternating with oxygen mask. They have been doing it for over 30 min! Only after the plane started flying back we got an announcement that it was turned around. It is still a mystery to us on why the plane wasn’t turned back immediately as this poor man collapsed and needed CPR. This man died! Getting help an hour earlier might have saved his life!

Back at Honolulu we were waiting for at least another hour for all of the medical procedures, and police investigation, before we could get off the plane to switch the planes. By the gate we were told to wait in line for food vouchers and new seat assignments. You can imagine a line of 250+ people, all exhausted, staying in line for food vouchers. Why couldn’t they be distributed on the plane on the way back? It was a chaos to say the least as all of us were trying to get food at only one restaurant that was opened by the gate. There was not enough fast food left after first batch of people went through it, and ordering food was impossible as they said they won’t be able to make enough for everyone in time. It was past 9 pm at this point, and we have been travelling since 10 am.

We then boarded a new plane which was an older plane and it was freezing again! And AGAIN we were sitting on a plane for an hour with no announcements or letting us know what’s going on. Later they were waiting on a second pilot. Why were we rushed to get on the plane with no time to eat, if the pilot was not even there? Entertainment systems were still locked, and we got offered no comfort, drinks or anything after everything we have been thru. Back home, their luggage process got screwed up with mixing bags from different flights, and nobody from the staff knew what's going on. After all of that, we only got offered $50 refund! Absolutely ridiculous! And there is no way to talk to someone, and all we get is that consumer affairs approved $50 and good luck with that. Any responses are required to go through online request, with them not responding. THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

Original review: July 11, 2018

Almost every time I have called this airline, the representative is very nice and polite always. They also almost always try to pass my call to someone else and frequently tell me to call back. They are among the most unhelpful customer service reps I have ever encountered. I have been in customer service over 30 years. My worst encounter occurred when I was turned around in the HNL airport, which was undergoing heavy construction. Under one arm was a 3 yo, my other hand was pulling our 2 suitcases. We made it to the gate on time somehow. The flight attendant told me that our tickets had been given away. She loaded the last passengers and closed the door. They made me wait 15 minutes to speak to someone about our tickets and what to do. So I had to stand there with a screaming toddler while we watched our plane leave.

The counter lady was extremely rude and the manager refused to give his name and literally ran away from me while I was trying to talk to him. Very unprofessional. Hawaiian Airlines should be embarrassed by themselves. I'm embarrassed for them. They never responded when I wrote in regarding this incident either. I'm not impressed. They are one of my only options for flights to the mainland so I have to put up with them from time to time. Most recently, they tried to seat me and my child in completely different parts of the plane from each other. She's a minor. This is my last time flying with them. If I could put negative stars, I would.

Original review: July 2, 2018

HA15 June 21, 2018 delayed by several hours causing many people to miss connecting flights or pushing people to next day flight. Phone personnel cannot help, had to go to airport to even get service. Paid cash for first class ticket, connecting flight downgraded because of their delay and now I have to fight to get the price difference refunded-- I have to justify the refund for their fault. I've spent hours, yes HOURS on the phone with customer service where everyone seems to say "Not my job, only consumer affairs can do this and they don't take calls, you'll have to wait over 30 days even for a decision." This isn't worth the headache when you have other choices, go elsewhere.

Original review: June 25, 2018

We bought 2 flights to Hawaii via their website. They charged my credit card 4 times for the flights that were approved, and made 2 additional attempts, which were declined because it breached my credit limit. We received the receipt and tickets for the 2 flights that we wanted but only after we called their help desk. When I rang them up to try and query the multiple transactions from their end they denied any knowledge of the transactions and asked me to supply the ticket numbers, despite the fact the issue was clearly in the accounting.

Supplying the ticket numbers only indicates the one valid transaction, it does nothing to identify where the other transactions have gone. The woman was rude and unhelpful and continued to deny the problem despite the transactions appearing on my bank's website, and subsequently confirmed by calling the bank's credit card team. Appalling software that does not understand the concept of a double-sided transaction! Time to get the credit card company involved and I may just cancel the entire lot and use a more reliable airline.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Hawaiian Airlines is the worst! They cancelled flight 61 and rebooked everyone's flight. The plane left LAX and returned twice!!! My family and I got rebooked to United and they couldn't get the tickets right. Stayed on the phone with Hawaiian ticketing for an hour and they were useless! They said a Supervisor would call me back, and there's been no call for 12 hours. United had to get on the phone and educate them on how to resolve ticketing problem! Meanwhile my 5 and 9 year old and 70 year old in-laws are starving because I'm spending an hour on the phone with Hawaiian ticketing! There were no staff at Hawaiian ticketing counter, so no one could help me there, either. Now we wasted 2 days on our vacation with Hawaiian plane and ticketing problems. Thank goodness for other airlines that were more knowledgeable.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Lost baggage happens and most of the time it gets returned to you, albeit late and probably after you need the things form it. Traveling from Lihue (Kauai) to Honolulu (Oahu) on the last leg of my trip my baggage did not arrive in HNL. Immediately I informed an employee who then wrote me a ticket and said that the luggage was probably coming on the next flight. I get it, I've worked in Customer service and I know human error happens. I give all my contact information and the employee informs me that he'll give me a call and arrange for a drop off whenever my bag does get to Honolulu.

The problem I immediately foresee is that I don't have any of my clothes with me and I have a dinner meeting with investors later that night. (We arrived around 9:30 am). Once again I am reassured that the bag will most likely arrive before noon, and if it isn't then... we will see then? SURE. A few hours later, I get a call and it's from the employee. He's really nice about it, says that my bag hasn't arrived but since I need clothes and necessities I have authorization to get it. I'm not dumb, I have a few expensive items I was going to wear that were missing but I knew that an airline would never reimburse me so I went to Target and bought black pants and a blouse as well as toiletries. I also emailed the Hawaiian Claims dept. to open a claim. This was the Sunday, before Memorial Day.

I figure, it's a national holiday the next day (Monday, Memorial Day) I probably won't hear back till Tuesday/Wednesday which means I'll already be back home in Texas. I was completely wrong. NOBODY reached out to me at all. I emailed them a second time. NOTHING. The only person who reached out to me was the original employee who followed up. Luckily for me, he was kind enough to reach out to the claims department and make sure someone responded.

I have a lost baggage I am trying to locate. The bag went missing May 27th, which is the same day I emailed and asked to file a claim. I also called multiple times but the line was ALWAYS busy and I would get automatically disconnected. I did not receive a call or email back from anyone in the Claims dept. I received a phone call from another employee who worked at the actual airport in Honolulu on June 4th. OVER ONE WEEK before ANYONE would help me with anything!!!

Even now, I have sent in emails with my proof of loss, as much receipts as I could gather, and asked them to verify that they received my email and I get NOTHING. I already sent in hard copies of everything via certified mail, so hopefully that will give me a response. I was lucky that one individual employee helped make sure that finally one person responded to me. However, the claims dept. has done NOTHING to help me or give me any knowledge of my bag. They won't even respond to my claims and if it were not for another employee, did not get back to me about filing loss on my baggage till after more than ONE WEEK after it was lost.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I had purchased a very expensive flight over Memorial Day weekend for both my husband and I. Over 48 hours prior to departure, my husband needed to cancel his flight home, mine remained intact. The flight back, one way, was $824. The cancelled the flight over the phone (you can't do this online), and said they would issue a travel credit. "Ok, so then send me an email confirming that I have this credit and that the flight was cancelled." "No mam, we cannot send out any email such as this. You don't have a travel itinerary, so you will not get an email." "What? So, I have no record of this very expensive transaction? You can't send me an email stating that a flight was cancelled and we have a travel credit?" "No mam, we cannot do that. Trust me, I cancelled the flight for you." "TRUST ME? You can't send me something in writing? I thought I was stuck in a memory of 20 years ago doing all of the flights over the phone."

He then said that the credit has to all be used no matter the purchase price of the next flight. So, if the next flight we chose out was, say, $450, we would never get the difference back on our credit. I was so angry. I asked to speak to a supervisor. After being on hold, the ruffled representative said I would get an email within 10 minutes. I wondered why this had to go so far? Then, I got a nice little email that says I have this credit, which must ALL be used for the next flight, and IN ADDITION I MUST PAY ANOTHER $200! So the flight I cancelled 48 hours before departure now turned into a $1000 "credit" that must be used all at once for any one way ticket. YIKES! Please come to Hawaii Southwest and save us!

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have the Hawaiian Airlines Mastercard and I'm a Hawaiian Airlines frequent flyer. I bought a package and then found out it was third party and they won't comp me a free bag which the HA Mastercard markets due to the third party purchase. Of course this is all buried in fine print. I'm flying on a HA plane etc. I pay $90 a year for them to give me a free bag and manage my miles etc. Both HA and their Mastercard refuse to do anything. Furthermore, never buy a package from them... because it's not them... It's a third party or what I call a ** party.

Original review: April 28, 2018

This airline is way behind the times. Onboard: no wifi, no video screens at seats (on both 6-hour flights we took), no option to use your own device to stream content; you must rent one of their tablets for $15. Want a blanket? That’s $5. 6 hour flight included one “meal” which was basically subpar yogurt. Customer service: They sent my checked bag to the wrong airport. I asked for $25 refund; customer service rep said “it’s not my fault they lost your bag.” She also said since I got my bag 6 hours later at my hotel, that “that is your compensation.” Wow.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This was my first flight to Hawaii via Hawaiian Airlines (HA). I fly to the Hawaiian Islands at least once a year with my family and twice a year, solo. We save for this family trip every year. This year's trip with the family was from Los Angeles (LAX) to Kona (KOA). Flight #61 was scheduled to depart at 11am. A delay due to "maintenance issues" was announced a few minutes prior to scheduled boarding. Several updates later (15 mins. after the initial announcement, 11:30am, 2pm, 4pm) and still no definitive answer. Meal vouchers of $18 per person were distributed. A lengthy line to acquire the vouchers because their printer was "not working". Several passengers requested flights on other airlines. HA was able to accommodate a very small few who were flying alone or in small groups.

After those few, per the gate agents, there were no other flights available, either on Hawaiian Airlines or any other airlines that day. The rest of us were left without any option but to wait. I, like many other passengers, requested a shift in my return flight, as we basically spent the day at the airport. The gate agent at LAX let me know that would not be a problem and that she switched my return flight from Thursday to Friday, same time, just one day later. The gate agents in Kona would be able to assign seats. I asked for a printout of my updated itinerary. I was told to "just use the same confirmation (PNR) code". They were still having "printer issues". Others in line before me did not have printouts, but it was a mistake was not receiving this confirmation in writing. I advise any future customers of this airline to always receive confirmation of any changes in writing.

Approximately 8 hours later, around 7 p.m. we were able to board a plane. A credit of $100 for a future flight was offered. The flight offered snacks, headsets, blankets, etc. for purchase. The meal service was one sandwich (meat & cheese), 1 cookie and the usual soda, juices. The plane itself was older, fairly clean, the upholstery is scratchy and worn out. It is now Wednesday afternoon and I receive an email to "check-in" for my flight scheduled on Thursday. Which was incorrect because my flight was switched by the gate agent to Friday. After several hours on the phone, chat, twitter with various customer service agents, I was told that the gate agent at LAX did not "enter a note" or update my flight in their system.

Therefore, my family was not on any flight. Also, there was "nothing that could be done". I would be charged a $200 change fee for each ticket plus the cost of a new ticket IF they could get me on a flight. I was charged double the original fare, for each family member, to get on a return connecting flight back to LAX. The entertainment system on the return flight back to LAX was not working. HA offered a $14 credit towards a future flight. Snacks for sale, 1 meat sandwich, 1 small bag of chips/snacks and 1 macadamia nut candy was provided.

Their twitter account asked for my flight information, however, no response after I sent the information. I am currently appealing this charge with HA. No response or resolution yet. I am also going to file a complaint with the department of transportation. For reference, the link on info. & to file complaints is here: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint. I am requesting a refund of the additional airfare cost incurred because the gate agent at LAX did not properly modify my flight itinerary. I was truly hoping that HA was more responsive. I will update this review if any changes to my situation occur.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My flight to LAS last March was horrible, as my luggage was misplaced or lost for 2-3 days. It was sent to NY instead to LAS which the tag was obviously stating the final destination. I have filed a claim at the airport my missing luggage, and hoping to get it deliver to my hotel. The customer service was great and efficient and took down my request and contact number. I have my facial stuffs in my luggage, toothbrush, clothes, vitamins, my medications for heart problem, iPhone charger, important stuffs inside. I have been worried for 2-3 days, without my proper clothing, and ended buying from the Vegas store, and CVS for few items including my charger.

The only thing, I am glad that I finally gotten my luggage. I found out my small brown purse with my gold rings, coins, earring etc lost during my trip back to Honolulu that 4 3 18 HA 17, arriving to Oahu 645 am. I gotten it during my trip in Vegas, got lost during that trip back. I just want to point out, may want to check camera who is your loyal good employees, who is not, and need background check before hiring seriously.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am an American Airlines employee traveling on Hawaiian Airlines at Honolulu Airport (HNL). I was greeted with a warm smile by a gate agent by the name of Belinda **. I have to say she was so very patient, lovely and kind. Definitely a wonderful transition to my flight to LAX.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My girlfriend and I have been battling with Hawaiian Airlines for over three months now, the company kept referring us to an email line. The emails which have been sent (4 to be exact) we haven't had a single email sent back to us on the issues. We even went in to Auckland airport twice to try and get the issues resolved in person, which the customer service representative said she would CC us on an email back to Hawaiian airlines... This wasn't accomplished as well and we still are awaiting an email.

The two main issues we are facing consist of a lost bag and a damaged bag, both which were done on the same trip. As two young traveling adults our funds are limited. The first issue was a snowboard bag which was damaged during transport, the bag had a large rip in the bottom of it and when I examined the snowboard (valued at $650) it had a large gash in the bottom edge from someone dropping the bag and it ripping through... The second issue came when the bag did not make the transfer in Hawaii to our flight in Auckland... The bag did not arrive until 3 days later, which made us have to push our travels back three days in order to get down to the south island. This customer service from a major airline company is unacceptable and when we try calling directly we are unable to talk to a "manager" because they are out of the office.

How does a 2.4 Billion dollar company fail to create a customer service department... If the company wanted to gain a re-occurring customer base they would focus on really trying to make the customer's travel enjoyable. Maybe I'm just ranting at this point but the point I'm trying to get across to other customers and the company itself should be aware of the baggage issues persist. If anyone has any other information on how to get a hold of someone for the compensation which is detailed in their baggage policy please let me know. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have yet to arrive to my flight with Hawaiian Airlines but I can assure you that the horrific customer service I have endured is leading me to give them 1 star and I would give 0 stars. People MUST be warned to NEVER book with this company before you get swindled. When I originally booked my trip my boyfriend and I were in perfect health. Due to a sports injury he was unable to make our trip. Our trip is two parts. The first part booked with Expedia. WHICH I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU USE RATHER THAN THIS AIRLINE.

As I travel to Hawaii once a year I thought I would support Hawaiian Airlines and try something new and it was the biggest travelling mistake I have made to date. I called Expedia and changed the first part of our trip to my best friend for a very small rebooking fee and the customer service was amazing. THEN HOWEVER I called Hawaiian Airlines. I waited on hold and was passed around to several other phone lines until I was finally delivered to an extremely rude team of Hawaiian airline employees who told me my trip was absolutely NON transferable EVEN in the event of a medical emergency with supporting medical documentation. The employees were terribly rude and told me I had to book another trip for my best friend. Which I did with Expedia. Then I tried to call them to amalgamate the room and they told me I could pay them another 2,000 American to change this and I told them enough.

I am now complaining on all webpages and NEVER using this airline ever again for any further trips. I called them to try and file complaint and they told me to submit an email complaint, which I did and then they gave me a phone number. I called the number and they said they would have a manager call me and no manager ever called. Then I emailed again and was informed there are NO managers or emails that could be given to speak to a person who could help me. I called again and was told to email the general complaint email again which I did and got another generic unhelpful email. So, I called again and was given the runaround again. Save yourself the hassle and book with Expedia and never try this airline as they are horrible.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have flown HAWAIIAN for 20+ years and am now bringing my kids on the same flights. HOWEVER, the experiences are completely different. The customer service SUCKS. The desk attendants are overburdened and seem to have little to zero information. We recently had a mechanical issue and had to deplane and then onto a series of flights to get home from Maui to Sacramento. What should have been 5 hours turned into 16 hours of flying and over 24 hours at the airports. Total Joke when trying to fly with a 4 and 8 year old. This was the flight from Hell.

While we have had many great flights with Hawaiian over the years, the past 3-5 have had issues in some way, shape or form and we will no longer be flying Hawaiian anymore from mainland to the islands. We have also found smaller, reasonably priced, flights between islands. It seems Hawaiian had zero customer service lately and didn't go out of their way to help any of the flight situations so we are going to go out of our way to not fly Hawaiian anymore. I agree with the previous post from another unhappy customer... The Aloha Spirit is Gone from Hawaiian Airlines! Good Luck.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

HAL pretty much has a monopoly on interisland flights. Prices are ridiculously high. Direct flights to Las Vegas are also ridiculous. An extra comfort seat is over $1000 round trip!! Honolulu to Vegas!!! I can go to NYC for that price.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I'm a US Marine Corps veteran who wanted to take his 84 year old disabled mother to Maui for a vacation. I have heart condition and my mother is on oxygen, in addition to a series of other ailments which prevent her from taking most trips. We booked a flight with Hawaiian Airlines through a travel agent who informed the airlines of our need for wheelchair service in addition to a letter for an oxygen concentrator. Upon arrival at the San Francisco ticket counter for Hawaiian Airlines we had already paid for our baggage and checked in so they put our bags on a flight to Maui, then we were told that the letter which we had printed on United Airlines stationary was not acceptable to Hawaiian Airlines. We had arrived for our flight approximately two and a half hours prior to departure figuring that we would be able to take care of any situation which might arise.

In the early stages of the interaction, the person at the ticket counter required us to take apart the concentrator to get numbers off the battery of which we accommodated, in addition to providing them the numbers off of the backup battery which was at the bottom of a carry on. We were told that there is no way that they can accept that because it was on United Airlines stationary. The doctor's authorization on United Airlines stationary has been used with Delta Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines and Southwest Airlines without any problems.

There was no mention of an additional requirement for the doctor's signature on the required documents letter or HA form to be within 10 days of travel. We were informed by the ticket agent that there's nothing they can do and that we need to get this letter from the doctor authorizing the use of the oxygen concentrator on his stationary or preferably the Hawaiian Airlines waiver which can be acquired on the Hawaiian Airlines website. Once this form is filled out by the doctor, to have him fax it to us and then they can reschedule our flight for the following day. Although there would be a $200 per ticket charge for changing our flight times. [ (+) $400]

We had already turned our car in at a park and fly hotel in the area so we were pretty much stuck at the airport. The hotel being customer service oriented was very understanding and provided us our vehicle and a ride back to the hotel in addition to a discount on the hotel for the next night. After speaking with the doctor we acquired the HA form (we were told this is the best option) which he filled out and faxed it to us at our hotel. Finally, we met ALL, the HA requirements (hoops), and we were thinking that we would be experiencing the Aloha Spirit within 24 hours. WRONG!!! Not with the customer service provided by Hawaiian Airlines in San Francisco. We arrived the following day at about the same time at the HA ticket counter with a Hawaiian Airlines waiver for an oxygen concentrator, having jumped through all the Hoops that HA had asked us to do.

At that point the ticket agent which was aware of our situation from the previous day, told us that they could not accept that because it was not the original. Huh, REALLY?? After explaining to the ticket agent how a fax machine works and that the original was in the doctor's office we were then told that they needed detailed O2 (oxygen) titration levels for the entire trip. We told them we have no idea except that it was at 3 L per minute. Fortunately a nurse standing at the next ticket counter explained it to the ticket agent, who responded, "Huh? OKAY."

The next hoop we were required to jump through was that at the bottom of the form next to the doctor's signature he failed to put the date. We reminded her that it was yesterday that they required us to get this form and, her response was once again, "I'm sorry there's nothing I can do" after pleading with her and explain to her how important this trip was for my elderly mother and that this was possibly the last opportunity that she would have to travel, she called her supervisor once again and the response from the supervisor, was seemingly that default response of, "I'm sorry there's nothing that we can do" we were told that we needed to contact our doctor, have him put the date on it and send us back a fax. We reminded the ticket agent that this was Saturday and that we were unable to contact the doctor until Monday which would put us on a flight for Tuesday but there would be a $200 charge for a changing of the reservation.

It seems that the Hawaiian Airlines personnel training is very non-customer service oriented but that they are willing to do many changes in your reservation at $200 a change. I can imagine that the reason that they need this money is because of the decline in travel by customers who have actually booked flights through Hawaiian Airlines and then become disgruntled because of the way in which that they were treated by the customer service people at the ticket counter in San Francisco.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Hawaiian Airlines has been my personal favorite to fly with for over 20 years, simply put over the past 3 years I've had nothing but bad experiences with Hawaiian from online reservation, seat assignments, rude flight attendants (The Aloha is gone!), unethical marketing tactics with upgrades, poor quality meals, lack of knowledge when to answer simple questions or resolve issues. Being Kamaaina I will continue to fly inter-island however for other domestic and international flights Hawaiian Air, unfortunately, is at the bottom of the list. The only reason I will continue to fly inter-island is convenience and available flights. Sorry for the unfavorable review Hawaiian Air but as a frequent flyer your service is equal or worst than all the other commercial airlines. I hope this review makes it to your Consumer Affairs so they can reintroduce the "Aloha" Hawaiian Air once had.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Booked a round-trip to Maui (OGG) from San Francisco (SFO) in late September 2017. The flight out of SFO ended up being 13+ hours delayed and I joined the line of disgruntled passengers wishing to speak to a gate agent about alternative means of travel. Because the line was so long we were informed that we could call Hawaiian Airlines directly, which I opted to do. The rep on the phone stated they were unaware of the flight delay and to call back shortly. I called again about 20 min later and they were still unable to confirm that the flight was delayed. This rep stated they would call me in 30 min with an update.

I rejoined the line and found a flight with United that was leaving in a couple of hours and wanted to speak with the Hawaiian gate about getting on that flight. The line was still enormous and an agent began walking the line to speak with those of us in the back. She informed me that I could book the United flight and submit my receipt to Hawaiian's CAO (Consumer Affairs Office) for a full reimbursement. Incredulous of this claim I asked for verification from her manager.

She left and asked the manager who confirmed and gave us a card with the CAO contact information. I once again asked for confirmation and stated "I will not book these tickets unless it is guaranteed I will receive a reimbursement in full" which was about $762. The agent stated again that I would. As she stated this, another agent came over the PA announcing the same information. Book alternate travel and submit a request to the CAO. I booked through United and left the gate.

On the way to the new terminal I decided to call Hawaiian one more time, seeing that they had neglected to call me back as promised. I confirmed with the rep on the phone that I would receive my reimbursement in full. That is FOUR representatives of Hawaiian Airlines assuring me that I would receive my full $762. I submitted my receipt and request to the CAO and was informed that the reimbursement was not their policy and they would not be refunding me the full amount. I instead would receive a refund for the round trip tickets unused and some travel vouchers which expire in a year. Their vouchers are useless to me, therefore leaving the amount I received well under the amount promised by the employees beforehand.

Despite me informing them that 4 Hawaiian Airlines employees all gave me the same information the CAO would not budge. I invited them to pull the call where it was confirmed and informed them that I did my due diligence in ensuring that I was not going outside of their policy by booking alternate travel. I requested to speak with the CAO on the phone, but no go there either. They don't have a phone number and now "consider this matter closed". Their customer service is a joke and an embarrassment to the hospitality industry. Be forewarned that any 'guarantees' you receive from them on your future travel is predicated on empty promises to their customers.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I booked a vacation package which included a resort, rental car, and flight for my family and I to Maui. After booking, I called the resort to add a crib to our room for our infant son. Upon calling the resort the reservationist informed me that 3 of 4 pools onsite would be closed for renovations during the time of our stay. Hawaiian Vacations website had no notification of the pool closures when I purchased the package. I called Hawaiian Vacations to cancel the package I had just booked. The customer service representative was hard to understand, and didn't understand me. The customer service representative finally understood why I wanted to cancel our vacation package, since there would be only 1 pool at our entire resort we booked to enjoy on our tropical vacation.

The representative informed me that even though I purchased the protection plan for $150 additional so that I could cancel anytime for any reason, it only covered cancellations and refunds of the amounts for the resort and rental car. The representative told me that I could not get a refund for the airline portion of my vacation package, but that I could use it as a flight credit for future use. I explained to her that I was not okay with that, and I asked for a manager. The manager I spoke to told me that since it was Hawaiian Airline's fault for mis-advertising the resort I booked, he would make an exception and refund me the portion for the airline as well. Today I called to check and see why I was still missing a refund for $1800 for the airline portion of my vacation package and was told that they hadn't processed a refund for it, and there were no notes from the manager I spoke to about refunding it.

I waited on hold for over an hour to speak to another manager who told me that she couldn't refund the airline portion without a reason, and that she needed to go listen to the recording from my phone call with the manager to prove what he promised me before she could process the refund. The manager today also informed me that it would take 8 weeks for the refund, when the previous manager told me 5-7 business days. The manager today told me she promised she would call me back today after listening to the recordings, I have not had any callback. This is the second time a manager has promised to call me back, and has not. I called my credit card company and disputed the charges while this is getting figured out. Hawaiian Vacations is not a company I would recommend ever, or use ever! This is criminal!

Hawaiian Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

• Best for: Vacationers and holiday travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information