1.35/5
Based on 182 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

217 Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

Lost baggage happens and most of the time it gets returned to you, albeit late and probably after you need the things form it. Traveling from Lihue (Kauai) to Honolulu (Oahu) on the last leg of my trip my baggage did not arrive in HNL. Immediately I informed an employee who then wrote me a ticket and said that the luggage was probably coming on the next flight. I get it, I've worked in Customer service and I know human error happens. I give all my contact information and the employee informs me that he'll give me a call and arrange for a drop off whenever my bag does get to Honolulu.

The problem I immediately foresee is that I don't have any of my clothes with me and I have a dinner meeting with investors later that night. (We arrived around 9:30 am). Once again I am reassured that the bag will most likely arrive before noon, and if it isn't then... we will see then? SURE. A few hours later, I get a call and it's from the employee. He's really nice about it, says that my bag hasn't arrived but since I need clothes and necessities I have authorization to get it. I'm not dumb, I have a few expensive items I was going to wear that were missing but I knew that an airline would never reimburse me so I went to Target and bought black pants and a blouse as well as toiletries. I also emailed the Hawaiian Claims dept. to open a claim. This was the Sunday, before Memorial Day.

I figure, it's a national holiday the next day (Monday, Memorial Day) I probably won't hear back till Tuesday/Wednesday which means I'll already be back home in Texas. I was completely wrong. NOBODY reached out to me at all. I emailed them a second time. NOTHING. The only person who reached out to me was the original employee who followed up. Luckily for me, he was kind enough to reach out to the claims department and make sure someone responded.

I have a lost baggage I am trying to locate. The bag went missing May 27th, which is the same day I emailed and asked to file a claim. I also called multiple times but the line was ALWAYS busy and I would get automatically disconnected. I did not receive a call or email back from anyone in the Claims dept. I received a phone call from another employee who worked at the actual airport in Honolulu on June 4th. OVER ONE WEEK before ANYONE would help me with anything!!!

Even now, I have sent in emails with my proof of loss, as much receipts as I could gather, and asked them to verify that they received my email and I get NOTHING. I already sent in hard copies of everything via certified mail, so hopefully that will give me a response. I was lucky that one individual employee helped make sure that finally one person responded to me. However, the claims dept. has done NOTHING to help me or give me any knowledge of my bag. They won't even respond to my claims and if it were not for another employee, did not get back to me about filing loss on my baggage till after more than ONE WEEK after it was lost.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I had purchased a very expensive flight over Memorial Day weekend for both my husband and I. Over 48 hours prior to departure, my husband needed to cancel his flight home, mine remained intact. The flight back, one way, was $824. The cancelled the flight over the phone (you can't do this online), and said they would issue a travel credit. "Ok, so then send me an email confirming that I have this credit and that the flight was cancelled." "No mam, we cannot send out any email such as this. You don't have a travel itinerary, so you will not get an email." "What? So, I have no record of this very expensive transaction? You can't send me an email stating that a flight was cancelled and we have a travel credit?" "No mam, we cannot do that. Trust me, I cancelled the flight for you." "TRUST ME? You can't send me something in writing? I thought I was stuck in a memory of 20 years ago doing all of the flights over the phone."

He then said that the credit has to all be used no matter the purchase price of the next flight. So, if the next flight we chose out was, say, $450, we would never get the difference back on our credit. I was so angry. I asked to speak to a supervisor. After being on hold, the ruffled representative said I would get an email within 10 minutes. I wondered why this had to go so far? Then, I got a nice little email that says I have this credit, which must ALL be used for the next flight, and IN ADDITION I MUST PAY ANOTHER $200! So the flight I cancelled 48 hours before departure now turned into a $1000 "credit" that must be used all at once for any one way ticket. YIKES! Please come to Hawaii Southwest and save us!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have the Hawaiian Airlines Mastercard and I'm a Hawaiian Airlines frequent flyer. I bought a package and then found out it was third party and they won't comp me a free bag which the HA Mastercard markets due to the third party purchase. Of course this is all buried in fine print. I'm flying on a HA plane etc. I pay $90 a year for them to give me a free bag and manage my miles etc. Both HA and their Mastercard refuse to do anything. Furthermore, never buy a package from them... because it's not them... It's a third party or what I call a ** party.

Original review: April 28, 2018

This airline is way behind the times. Onboard: no wifi, no video screens at seats (on both 6-hour flights we took), no option to use your own device to stream content; you must rent one of their tablets for $15. Want a blanket? That’s $5. 6 hour flight included one “meal” which was basically subpar yogurt. Customer service: They sent my checked bag to the wrong airport. I asked for $25 refund; customer service rep said “it’s not my fault they lost your bag.” She also said since I got my bag 6 hours later at my hotel, that “that is your compensation.” Wow.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This was my first flight to Hawaii via Hawaiian Airlines (HA). I fly to the Hawaiian Islands at least once a year with my family and twice a year, solo. We save for this family trip every year. This year's trip with the family was from Los Angeles (LAX) to Kona (KOA). Flight #61 was scheduled to depart at 11am. A delay due to "maintenance issues" was announced a few minutes prior to scheduled boarding. Several updates later (15 mins. after the initial announcement, 11:30am, 2pm, 4pm) and still no definitive answer. Meal vouchers of $18 per person were distributed. A lengthy line to acquire the vouchers because their printer was "not working". Several passengers requested flights on other airlines. HA was able to accommodate a very small few who were flying alone or in small groups.

After those few, per the gate agents, there were no other flights available, either on Hawaiian Airlines or any other airlines that day. The rest of us were left without any option but to wait. I, like many other passengers, requested a shift in my return flight, as we basically spent the day at the airport. The gate agent at LAX let me know that would not be a problem and that she switched my return flight from Thursday to Friday, same time, just one day later. The gate agents in Kona would be able to assign seats. I asked for a printout of my updated itinerary. I was told to "just use the same confirmation (PNR) code". They were still having "printer issues". Others in line before me did not have printouts, but it was a mistake was not receiving this confirmation in writing. I advise any future customers of this airline to always receive confirmation of any changes in writing.

Approximately 8 hours later, around 7 p.m. we were able to board a plane. A credit of $100 for a future flight was offered. The flight offered snacks, headsets, blankets, etc. for purchase. The meal service was one sandwich (meat & cheese), 1 cookie and the usual soda, juices. The plane itself was older, fairly clean, the upholstery is scratchy and worn out. It is now Wednesday afternoon and I receive an email to "check-in" for my flight scheduled on Thursday. Which was incorrect because my flight was switched by the gate agent to Friday. After several hours on the phone, chat, twitter with various customer service agents, I was told that the gate agent at LAX did not "enter a note" or update my flight in their system.

Therefore, my family was not on any flight. Also, there was "nothing that could be done". I would be charged a $200 change fee for each ticket plus the cost of a new ticket IF they could get me on a flight. I was charged double the original fare, for each family member, to get on a return connecting flight back to LAX. The entertainment system on the return flight back to LAX was not working. HA offered a $14 credit towards a future flight. Snacks for sale, 1 meat sandwich, 1 small bag of chips/snacks and 1 macadamia nut candy was provided.

Their twitter account asked for my flight information, however, no response after I sent the information. I am currently appealing this charge with HA. No response or resolution yet. I am also going to file a complaint with the department of transportation. For reference, the link on info. & to file complaints is here: https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint. I am requesting a refund of the additional airfare cost incurred because the gate agent at LAX did not properly modify my flight itinerary. I was truly hoping that HA was more responsive. I will update this review if any changes to my situation occur.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: April 10, 2018

My flight to LAS last March was horrible, as my luggage was misplaced or lost for 2-3 days. It was sent to NY instead to LAS which the tag was obviously stating the final destination. I have filed a claim at the airport my missing luggage, and hoping to get it deliver to my hotel. The customer service was great and efficient and took down my request and contact number. I have my facial stuffs in my luggage, toothbrush, clothes, vitamins, my medications for heart problem, iPhone charger, important stuffs inside. I have been worried for 2-3 days, without my proper clothing, and ended buying from the Vegas store, and CVS for few items including my charger.

The only thing, I am glad that I finally gotten my luggage. I found out my small brown purse with my gold rings, coins, earring etc lost during my trip back to Honolulu that 4 3 18 HA 17, arriving to Oahu 645 am. I gotten it during my trip in Vegas, got lost during that trip back. I just want to point out, may want to check camera who is your loyal good employees, who is not, and need background check before hiring seriously.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am an American Airlines employee traveling on Hawaiian Airlines at Honolulu Airport (HNL). I was greeted with a warm smile by a gate agent by the name of Belinda **. I have to say she was so very patient, lovely and kind. Definitely a wonderful transition to my flight to LAX.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My girlfriend and I have been battling with Hawaiian Airlines for over three months now, the company kept referring us to an email line. The emails which have been sent (4 to be exact) we haven't had a single email sent back to us on the issues. We even went in to Auckland airport twice to try and get the issues resolved in person, which the customer service representative said she would CC us on an email back to Hawaiian airlines... This wasn't accomplished as well and we still are awaiting an email.

The two main issues we are facing consist of a lost bag and a damaged bag, both which were done on the same trip. As two young traveling adults our funds are limited. The first issue was a snowboard bag which was damaged during transport, the bag had a large rip in the bottom of it and when I examined the snowboard (valued at $650) it had a large gash in the bottom edge from someone dropping the bag and it ripping through... The second issue came when the bag did not make the transfer in Hawaii to our flight in Auckland... The bag did not arrive until 3 days later, which made us have to push our travels back three days in order to get down to the south island. This customer service from a major airline company is unacceptable and when we try calling directly we are unable to talk to a "manager" because they are out of the office.

How does a 2.4 Billion dollar company fail to create a customer service department... If the company wanted to gain a re-occurring customer base they would focus on really trying to make the customer's travel enjoyable. Maybe I'm just ranting at this point but the point I'm trying to get across to other customers and the company itself should be aware of the baggage issues persist. If anyone has any other information on how to get a hold of someone for the compensation which is detailed in their baggage policy please let me know. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have yet to arrive to my flight with Hawaiian Airlines but I can assure you that the horrific customer service I have endured is leading me to give them 1 star and I would give 0 stars. People MUST be warned to NEVER book with this company before you get swindled. When I originally booked my trip my boyfriend and I were in perfect health. Due to a sports injury he was unable to make our trip. Our trip is two parts. The first part booked with Expedia. WHICH I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU USE RATHER THAN THIS AIRLINE.

As I travel to Hawaii once a year I thought I would support Hawaiian Airlines and try something new and it was the biggest travelling mistake I have made to date. I called Expedia and changed the first part of our trip to my best friend for a very small rebooking fee and the customer service was amazing. THEN HOWEVER I called Hawaiian Airlines. I waited on hold and was passed around to several other phone lines until I was finally delivered to an extremely rude team of Hawaiian airline employees who told me my trip was absolutely NON transferable EVEN in the event of a medical emergency with supporting medical documentation. The employees were terribly rude and told me I had to book another trip for my best friend. Which I did with Expedia. Then I tried to call them to amalgamate the room and they told me I could pay them another 2,000 American to change this and I told them enough.

I am now complaining on all webpages and NEVER using this airline ever again for any further trips. I called them to try and file complaint and they told me to submit an email complaint, which I did and then they gave me a phone number. I called the number and they said they would have a manager call me and no manager ever called. Then I emailed again and was informed there are NO managers or emails that could be given to speak to a person who could help me. I called again and was told to email the general complaint email again which I did and got another generic unhelpful email. So, I called again and was given the runaround again. Save yourself the hassle and book with Expedia and never try this airline as they are horrible.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have flown HAWAIIAN for 20+ years and am now bringing my kids on the same flights. HOWEVER, the experiences are completely different. The customer service SUCKS. The desk attendants are overburdened and seem to have little to zero information. We recently had a mechanical issue and had to deplane and then onto a series of flights to get home from Maui to Sacramento. What should have been 5 hours turned into 16 hours of flying and over 24 hours at the airports. Total Joke when trying to fly with a 4 and 8 year old. This was the flight from Hell.

While we have had many great flights with Hawaiian over the years, the past 3-5 have had issues in some way, shape or form and we will no longer be flying Hawaiian anymore from mainland to the islands. We have also found smaller, reasonably priced, flights between islands. It seems Hawaiian had zero customer service lately and didn't go out of their way to help any of the flight situations so we are going to go out of our way to not fly Hawaiian anymore. I agree with the previous post from another unhappy customer... The Aloha Spirit is Gone from Hawaiian Airlines! Good Luck.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

HAL pretty much has a monopoly on interisland flights. Prices are ridiculously high. Direct flights to Las Vegas are also ridiculous. An extra comfort seat is over $1000 round trip!! Honolulu to Vegas!!! I can go to NYC for that price.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I'm a US Marine Corps veteran who wanted to take his 84 year old disabled mother to Maui for a vacation. I have heart condition and my mother is on oxygen, in addition to a series of other ailments which prevent her from taking most trips. We booked a flight with Hawaiian Airlines through a travel agent who informed the airlines of our need for wheelchair service in addition to a letter for an oxygen concentrator. Upon arrival at the San Francisco ticket counter for Hawaiian Airlines we had already paid for our baggage and checked in so they put our bags on a flight to Maui, then we were told that the letter which we had printed on United Airlines stationary was not acceptable to Hawaiian Airlines. We had arrived for our flight approximately two and a half hours prior to departure figuring that we would be able to take care of any situation which might arise.

In the early stages of the interaction, the person at the ticket counter required us to take apart the concentrator to get numbers off the battery of which we accommodated, in addition to providing them the numbers off of the backup battery which was at the bottom of a carry on. We were told that there is no way that they can accept that because it was on United Airlines stationary. The doctor's authorization on United Airlines stationary has been used with Delta Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines and Southwest Airlines without any problems.

There was no mention of an additional requirement for the doctor's signature on the required documents letter or HA form to be within 10 days of travel. We were informed by the ticket agent that there's nothing they can do and that we need to get this letter from the doctor authorizing the use of the oxygen concentrator on his stationary or preferably the Hawaiian Airlines waiver which can be acquired on the Hawaiian Airlines website. Once this form is filled out by the doctor, to have him fax it to us and then they can reschedule our flight for the following day. Although there would be a $200 per ticket charge for changing our flight times. [ (+) $400]

We had already turned our car in at a park and fly hotel in the area so we were pretty much stuck at the airport. The hotel being customer service oriented was very understanding and provided us our vehicle and a ride back to the hotel in addition to a discount on the hotel for the next night. After speaking with the doctor we acquired the HA form (we were told this is the best option) which he filled out and faxed it to us at our hotel. Finally, we met ALL, the HA requirements (hoops), and we were thinking that we would be experiencing the Aloha Spirit within 24 hours. WRONG!!! Not with the customer service provided by Hawaiian Airlines in San Francisco. We arrived the following day at about the same time at the HA ticket counter with a Hawaiian Airlines waiver for an oxygen concentrator, having jumped through all the Hoops that HA had asked us to do.

At that point the ticket agent which was aware of our situation from the previous day, told us that they could not accept that because it was not the original. Huh, REALLY?? After explaining to the ticket agent how a fax machine works and that the original was in the doctor's office we were then told that they needed detailed O2 (oxygen) titration levels for the entire trip. We told them we have no idea except that it was at 3 L per minute. Fortunately a nurse standing at the next ticket counter explained it to the ticket agent, who responded, "Huh? OKAY."

The next hoop we were required to jump through was that at the bottom of the form next to the doctor's signature he failed to put the date. We reminded her that it was yesterday that they required us to get this form and, her response was once again, "I'm sorry there's nothing I can do" after pleading with her and explain to her how important this trip was for my elderly mother and that this was possibly the last opportunity that she would have to travel, she called her supervisor once again and the response from the supervisor, was seemingly that default response of, "I'm sorry there's nothing that we can do" we were told that we needed to contact our doctor, have him put the date on it and send us back a fax. We reminded the ticket agent that this was Saturday and that we were unable to contact the doctor until Monday which would put us on a flight for Tuesday but there would be a $200 charge for a changing of the reservation.

It seems that the Hawaiian Airlines personnel training is very non-customer service oriented but that they are willing to do many changes in your reservation at $200 a change. I can imagine that the reason that they need this money is because of the decline in travel by customers who have actually booked flights through Hawaiian Airlines and then become disgruntled because of the way in which that they were treated by the customer service people at the ticket counter in San Francisco.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Hawaiian Airlines has been my personal favorite to fly with for over 20 years, simply put over the past 3 years I've had nothing but bad experiences with Hawaiian from online reservation, seat assignments, rude flight attendants (The Aloha is gone!), unethical marketing tactics with upgrades, poor quality meals, lack of knowledge when to answer simple questions or resolve issues. Being Kamaaina I will continue to fly inter-island however for other domestic and international flights Hawaiian Air, unfortunately, is at the bottom of the list. The only reason I will continue to fly inter-island is convenience and available flights. Sorry for the unfavorable review Hawaiian Air but as a frequent flyer your service is equal or worst than all the other commercial airlines. I hope this review makes it to your Consumer Affairs so they can reintroduce the "Aloha" Hawaiian Air once had.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Booked a round-trip to Maui (OGG) from San Francisco (SFO) in late September 2017. The flight out of SFO ended up being 13+ hours delayed and I joined the line of disgruntled passengers wishing to speak to a gate agent about alternative means of travel. Because the line was so long we were informed that we could call Hawaiian Airlines directly, which I opted to do. The rep on the phone stated they were unaware of the flight delay and to call back shortly. I called again about 20 min later and they were still unable to confirm that the flight was delayed. This rep stated they would call me in 30 min with an update.

I rejoined the line and found a flight with United that was leaving in a couple of hours and wanted to speak with the Hawaiian gate about getting on that flight. The line was still enormous and an agent began walking the line to speak with those of us in the back. She informed me that I could book the United flight and submit my receipt to Hawaiian's CAO (Consumer Affairs Office) for a full reimbursement. Incredulous of this claim I asked for verification from her manager.

She left and asked the manager who confirmed and gave us a card with the CAO contact information. I once again asked for confirmation and stated "I will not book these tickets unless it is guaranteed I will receive a reimbursement in full" which was about $762. The agent stated again that I would. As she stated this, another agent came over the PA announcing the same information. Book alternate travel and submit a request to the CAO. I booked through United and left the gate.

On the way to the new terminal I decided to call Hawaiian one more time, seeing that they had neglected to call me back as promised. I confirmed with the rep on the phone that I would receive my reimbursement in full. That is FOUR representatives of Hawaiian Airlines assuring me that I would receive my full $762. I submitted my receipt and request to the CAO and was informed that the reimbursement was not their policy and they would not be refunding me the full amount. I instead would receive a refund for the round trip tickets unused and some travel vouchers which expire in a year. Their vouchers are useless to me, therefore leaving the amount I received well under the amount promised by the employees beforehand.

Despite me informing them that 4 Hawaiian Airlines employees all gave me the same information the CAO would not budge. I invited them to pull the call where it was confirmed and informed them that I did my due diligence in ensuring that I was not going outside of their policy by booking alternate travel. I requested to speak with the CAO on the phone, but no go there either. They don't have a phone number and now "consider this matter closed". Their customer service is a joke and an embarrassment to the hospitality industry. Be forewarned that any 'guarantees' you receive from them on your future travel is predicated on empty promises to their customers.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I booked a vacation package which included a resort, rental car, and flight for my family and I to Maui. After booking, I called the resort to add a crib to our room for our infant son. Upon calling the resort the reservationist informed me that 3 of 4 pools onsite would be closed for renovations during the time of our stay. Hawaiian Vacations website had no notification of the pool closures when I purchased the package. I called Hawaiian Vacations to cancel the package I had just booked. The customer service representative was hard to understand, and didn't understand me. The customer service representative finally understood why I wanted to cancel our vacation package, since there would be only 1 pool at our entire resort we booked to enjoy on our tropical vacation.

The representative informed me that even though I purchased the protection plan for $150 additional so that I could cancel anytime for any reason, it only covered cancellations and refunds of the amounts for the resort and rental car. The representative told me that I could not get a refund for the airline portion of my vacation package, but that I could use it as a flight credit for future use. I explained to her that I was not okay with that, and I asked for a manager. The manager I spoke to told me that since it was Hawaiian Airline's fault for mis-advertising the resort I booked, he would make an exception and refund me the portion for the airline as well. Today I called to check and see why I was still missing a refund for $1800 for the airline portion of my vacation package and was told that they hadn't processed a refund for it, and there were no notes from the manager I spoke to about refunding it.

I waited on hold for over an hour to speak to another manager who told me that she couldn't refund the airline portion without a reason, and that she needed to go listen to the recording from my phone call with the manager to prove what he promised me before she could process the refund. The manager today also informed me that it would take 8 weeks for the refund, when the previous manager told me 5-7 business days. The manager today told me she promised she would call me back today after listening to the recordings, I have not had any callback. This is the second time a manager has promised to call me back, and has not. I called my credit card company and disputed the charges while this is getting figured out. Hawaiian Vacations is not a company I would recommend ever, or use ever! This is criminal!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We fly a lot with you and have a business with 24 employees that fly with you. When trying to call your customer service Dept., it is now only in the Philippines. There is never a way to speak to someone in America whether Honolulu or the mainland. The people in the Philippines are polite but lack enough common sense or understanding to really help people without it being a 30 minute experience. This year has been a very frustrating year with your company, constant website issues for one.

My husband was trying to use his Platinum upgrade certificates today and because we booked ourselves separately he could not apply his to me and we are on the same plane. This is crazy! I am not returning the same day as him so we were forced to book separate tickets. The people in the Philippines have no way to override this. There is a complete refusal to transfer our call to anyone in America. Also, the planes have been very dirty lately and even in first class. Fed up!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have been using this airline for more than 10 years or when they started their rewards program to go to Hawaii. Customer service is great and they are the only airline I know that still serve meals free. Most if not all the airplanes land so smoothly. I noticed it the first time I flew with them. I do a lot of traveling so I have used a lot of different airlines. Pilots and crew surely practice the Aloha spirit.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My flight from Kahului Maui was canceled. The first customer service representative told me the weather was so bad on Molokai that they could not land. I checked Weather Radar and there was not a flood in the sky. They booked me on a flight the next day and gave me a hotel voucher but would not give me food vouchers. They told me I should keep my receipts and send to Customer service for a refund. They are required by law to give customers food vouchers. I was already inconvenienced and now I have to argue with them to get my money back. This is not the first time this has happened. Last time the CAO consumer affairs advocate refused to refund me any extra of it pocket money and never replied back to my email. New management under Mark Dunkerley has ruined this airline. AVOID THIS CARRIER IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

Original review: July 30, 2017

I recently flew on Hawaiian Airlines that was a few hours late in departing, was a little disappointed because I had to readjust my schedule and meetings. When these delays happen, do airlines compensate for any inconveniencing?

Original review: July 7, 2017

I'm sitting on the runway for almost 2 hours waiting to find a gate near a very stinky bathroom. The captain only announced once that we are looking for a gate and made a few snarky comments about Los Angeles. We are still sitting here almost 2 hours later with no update on our gate. The flight attendants are rude and cackling and gossiping in the galley. Our flight left 35 minutes late and they crammed us into some hot area like cattle waiting for the plane to board with no explanation regarding the delay. Total buzzkill to the end of a vacation. Not to mention the price of the tickets was absurd. Not flying with Hawaiian airlines again

Original review: June 27, 2017

Made a reservation on Hawaiian through the Internet. It told me to call customer service to let them know I have a service dog. Called they said "that's fine bring his ID, my ID and a letter from my doctor." I live Hilo side but was flying out of Kona for a mainland flight. Checked in, gave them all my IDs and documents, he took it to the back came back said the letter needed to be addresses to Hawaiian Airlines. This is 4:15pm, they hand me a piece of paper and said to have my doctor modify it so I called my doctor but they closed at 4:30. The gentleman helping me said, "I'm sorry but that's our policy" then went on to say if I had a carrier for him I could bring him in that as a carry on for $35.00.

So I called my son that has dropped me off to get a carrier and bring it to me, he does. I went back to the counter and it was a different person she tells me it's not $35.00, it's $225.00. What I say wow so it was getting close to boarding time so I said I would pay it (very unhappy) then I put my service dog in the carrier my son brought then this person asks me for his heath certificate. I reply, "Service dogs don't need health certificates." She replies, "I'm sorry we can't help you that's our policy"!!! Not sure what to do now so I called my son back to the airport again. While waiting I called the US SERVICE ANIMAL AGENTS who took the info to file a complaint against Hawaiian Airlines. Now I'm separated from my service dog and having horrible depression flying without my service dog!!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I booked a ticket from Australia to Kauai on hawaiianairlines.com and added a hotel since it appeared it will save me a little time and money. What I didn't know is that as soon as you add a hotel or rental car you are suddenly dealing with a different company, even though Hawaiian Air logos appear all over the web site. Suddenly you are dealing with a online travel agency with hard to find contact information and a call center in the Philippines. It appears that Expedia is now handling the booking of my hotel, including my flight ticket. Once I realized I can't use my HA travel voucher and because I started to have second thoughts about the whole process, I called to cancel my reservation. This was within a couple of hours of paying with my credit card and well within their 24-hour, 100% refund cancellation period.

I was on the phone for 40 minutes for a simple cancellation after searching for a way to cancel online. I received my refund but not in a single transaction but in 3 different credits to my overseas credit card. Because of overseas transaction fees, I only got 94% back, not the 100% I expected. This could have easily been avoided if the original transaction was reversed. I called the call center again but didn't get any positive results except verbal runarounds in circles. I really enjoy flying with Hawaiian Airlines and have used them frequently for over 10 years. It is my favorite airline but I don't understand why HA would get into a partnership with such a cheap, second class discount travel agent and put its logo on their website. It tarnishes HA's reputation, as it's evident from the other feedback regarding buying a ticket and adding either a hotel or a rental car.

If you are like me and are looking to find an email address to contact that travel agent, here it is: **. And this is how that travel agent advertises their services to its customers, the airlines: "All packages are prepaid, non-refundable and non-cancellable, allowing suppliers to provide NeatAgent with competitively priced NET rate inventory."

Original review: June 8, 2017

On flight back from Hawaii the pilot comes on, says, "If you open the credit card you will get a round trip ticket to Oahu. A companion flies 50% off their round trip ticket," and other things. We get the card. You have to spend $7000 in 90 days to receive the miles. We did. Go to use miles and find out you only get one of the benefits you can't use the round trip along with the 50% off companion. To use the companion discount unless a full price ticket is purchased then you get discount. It is so misleading starting off with the pilot. The paperwork is misleading until you read the fine print. Just want to warn others as I will do on the next flight to anyone who thinks it's a bargain on Hawaiian airlines. My husband is Hawaiian and he and I both agree this is not the aloha spirit that Hawaiians have so the credit card and Hawaiian airlines are a fraud! READ the fine print!!!

Original review: May 13, 2017

So, Hawaiian Airlines just screwed my friend Julie out of $200! AND, they don't even use their real name, they use... and I quote: "phone names"!! Customer service is so bad they need to use FAKE names??? Here is the email I sent to the company: My friend and travel partner, Julie **, purchased 3 round trip tickets to Honolulu from Las Vegas. The reservation personnel messed up her return flight by having the return flight be the same day as the flight out... which is impossible! We have been on the phone for over an hour trying to fix this, your people are being snippy and are not very helpful at all! Now you are charging her another $200??? What is wrong with you?? This is NOT good customer service! You should give her a $200 credit at the very least! NOT SATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!

Original review: May 5, 2017

Our first-class tickets to Kahalui, Maui were very reasonable; the food was great; and the service was on par with the best we've experienced on other top-rated airlines!

Original review: April 25, 2017

A letter dated April 14, 2017 indicated I would lose my miles on 8/31/2017 if I did not have some activity on my mileage account, meaning a credit card purchase or flight. THE PROBLEM IS, I FLEW HAWAIIAN IN JANUARY AND FEBRUARY OF 2017. What is going on with the management? Are they that inept or are they trying to get me to use the miles for some magazine they offered on the back of the letter so that I would not use in for airline tickets?

Original review: April 25, 2017

I reported Fraud charge of $1495.90 on my credit card with Hawaiian Airlines customer service. I was told they will refund me back. After 3 months no refund, nada at all so I file a dispute with my credit card company and my credit card company issue me a credit of $1495.90. 4 months later, which is last week Hawaiian Airlines sent false documents to my credit card company saying that the ticket issue 4 months ago was already used. That pisses me off. First of all, there was no ticket issued, fraud charge was reported the same day. Hawaiian Airlines demanded my card to be charge again for $1495.90. This was ** Hawaiian Airlines is nothing but a fraud. They stole my money now. When I called my credit card company they told me it's hard to get it reversed now because Hawaiian Airlines presented proof that a ticket issued was already used. Ticket my ass, there was no ticket to begin with. This is a big amount of money these ** took from me.

Original review: April 22, 2017

Flew on the 767. Seats are cramped, metal entertainment control box on floor stole legroom, flight staff not friendly, and lavatories were filthy and smelled horrible! Entertainment very expensive! Meal was mediocre! Will never fly with them again!!!

Original review: April 17, 2017

On 4/16/17, I was leisurely on Hawaiian Airlines website checking rates for my Hawaiian wedding scheduled in August 2017. I have already purchased 5 tickets for my immediate family and wanted to potentially purchase an additional ticket for a family member. I noticed the fares for my wedding dates were a lot less than what I paid for and I decided to call reservations to see what my options were.

At approximately 8:30p (CA time) I was transferred to a supervisor, Stephanie, employee # **. Stephanie said she can help me but, there were terms and conditions I needed to agree to including: $40 processing fee per ticket and a credit voucher instead of a refund and that there were no exceptions since "policy is policy". I told her I did not accept that since I was never told this while researching which airlines to use. I asked to speak to her supervisor and Stephanie then said, "I am the highest point of contact and no one else at Hawaiian Airlines could do anything for you." She also said that I'd have to contact Consumer Affairs if I didn't agree with her because she is denying my request to waive the $40 processing fee, period. I insisted she connect me to a different manager and after debating with her over and over and a 5-7 minute hold, I was transferred to Jeremiah, employee # **.

Jeremiah was like a broken record and repeated nearly everything Stephanie said. I felt they were sitting right next to each other since the language was nearly identical. Jeremiah continued to tell me that "policy and policy" and there's nothing else he can do to help. I asked for a different supervisor or manager and he also insisted he was the only one there and no one else can do anything to help. He referred me to consumer affairs and said there is no other option for complaints. I told Jeremiah that I wanted to cancel all 5 of my tickets with Hawaiian Airlines and of course, he throws at me, "Your tickets are non refundable so I cannot fulfill your request." The $40 processing fee per ticket is outrageous! Not acceptable!

Jeremiah employee # ** also stated he was the highest point of contact. $107ea me and Greg - voucher $67ea. $127 Jas - voucher $87 good for 1 yr. $253 Erick - voucher $213 good for 1 yr. $112 mom - voucher $72 good for 1 year. After I was strong-armed to accepting these horrid terms and conditions, I was told about additional terms and conditions (that no one stated to me prior) which include, the voucher is only for the assigned passenger (even though I paid for all tickets!). Also, that the credit voucher will take 4-6 weeks to arrive!

Both managers were unhelpful and continued to throw "policy is policy" with every other sentence! To add insult to injury, as I mentioned that I would be contacting the executive team to voice my concerns of this awful experience, Jeremiah wants to add "this entire call will be documented and they will be able to see everything we talked about" so I responded, "That is exactly what I was hoping for!" Jeremiah then said, "The vouchers will take a long time to get to you so do you just want to end the call?" Are you kidding me!!! At this point I have been on the phone for nearly 1 hour!

These managers are bullies and both treated me like I was a second class citizen! I'm appalled and feel belittled! I haven't even flown on Hawaiian Airlines yet and this has turned into a nightmare! My wedding is supposed to be joyful and the happiest day. I now feel so stressed, bullied and feeling like I'm being forced to do something that is so wrong and unacceptable! I feel that Hawaiian Airlines has stolen $200 (the processing fee x 5 tickets) from me and I do truly feel robbed.

I'm prepared to contact consumer affairs, all local news stations, all social media outlets and deter all my friends and family from ever using Hawaiian Airlines ever! I'm so terribly upset. I'm shaken. I feel this behavior is abuse! My blood pressure is through the roof and I don't understand why I was treated so badly from an airlines I thought was truly focused on excellent customer service. I'm devastated!

UPDATE ON 05/01/2017: This is an update to a review I submitted on 04/17/2017 regarding a terrible customer service experience incident that took place over the phone on 04/16/2017. Hawaiian Airlines officials did respond to my complaint but offered me an impossible resolution that pretty much still has me out of $706.00! Hawaiian Airlines offered to waive the $40.00 per ticket service fee but refused to refund my original form of payment leaving me with credit vouchers that I can not use! I have no plans to travel to Hawaii (other than my wedding which is already paid for) and the credit vouchers are useless. That is $706.00 of my hard earned money tied up in credit vouchers that will never be used so in my eyes, I am still robbed by $706.00!

At the very least I am requesting for these vouchers to be transferrable so someone can use them but at this point, Hawaiian Airlines has overcharged me $706.00 and is getting away with it! The representative that reached out to me even said in her own words "Hawaiian Airlines makes it impossible to claim a credit." I hope Hawaiian Airlines will make good on refunding me my $706.00 or at least make these vouchers transferable. I am still very shaken by my experience with the customer service department and hope for some kind of resolution. Again, due to Hawaiian Airlines only flying to Hawaii, my family and I can not use the credit vouchers within 1 year time. We are truly stuck between an rock and a hard place. Please help.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I stay in Hawaii at my second home every year same time for 20 years. The problem is that my card expires while I'm traveling or within a month. Barclays apparently can not send the card early and on Molokai, we do not have postal delivery and they do not deliver to "general delivery" so they charge me for FedEx delivery. Also since they have a month window of when they send them out it could be sitting anywhere! Apparently there is absolutely no way to change the expiration date, so I also have to cancel card and then get new # to all my autopays.

For a airlines travel card, this is not very smart or consumer friendly. They also do not post transaction for several days, usually about 4-5. All my other cards send a message usually before I even leave the store. In today's fraud culture this is not very smart... They need to get with the times and update their technology. I do like the airlines and fly 3-4 times a year. 90% of time just great service, other hey we all have our off days. They really just need to rethink their association with Barclays. Mahalo.

Hawaiian Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

• Best for: Vacationers and holiday travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information