3.65/5

259 Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 9, 2019

We fly with Hawaiian Airlines at least twice a year. We always upgrade to extra comfort and we get the same food as in coach a sandwich and we just went on Omni Air and took the first class and we noticed the premier class, which is similar to extra comfort, has about almost the same type of food as in first class (a smaller serving size) and in your recent commercials your complimentary meals is actually your first-class meals, not for extra comfort or the main cabin you get a sandwich and when I just went to your website. You only show first-class meals on your menu. What about the main cabin. I think you are false advertising.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My son and I took a flight to Hawaii Friday 7-5-19. We were supposed to depart at 9am. Our flight was delayed by 4hrs. We didn’t start to board until 1pm. We got in to Hawaii around 5pm (traffic time) and by the time we got to our room, checked in, had dinner our whole day was gone from our vacation. Returning home today 7-8-19 we get to the airport, everything is self tag and bag! There are ZERO signs stating this! I stood in line for about 30 minutes before the lady even notified me and then got upset when I asked her why they don’t notify people before getting in line. Extremely unhelpful and unprofessional.

We get through security and walk all the way across to our Gate E9 where I’m then notified by a DELTA employee that they have changed gates!!! To C9. Mind you this is all the way across the other side! I’m running with my 6 year old to the gate. We get here to find out we will now NOT be boarding until 1pm!!! Could this get any more messy, unorganized and frustrating! I nearly had a panic attack because I couldn’t get any help!!!! NO ONE notified me of this change at all and they still don’t have an explanation why boarding is taking so long. I have used Hawaiian Airlines before and they lost my luggage, only reason I used them this time is because it was the only non stop flight and traveling with children is not easy. After this experience I will NEVER EVER fly with Hawaiian again!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We flew out of Honolulu to San Diego. We had a connecting flight in Maui. Our luggages round back from Maui to Honolulu instead of San Diego. We had been back 2 days now and still no luggages. We will never fly this dumb airline again.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I'm not one to complain but this company is unreal! I can't believe they use the vision statement "...the Hawaiian way." I booked a flight from Honolulu to Boston. To my knowledge I had a stopover in New York (JFK airport). I didn't select that my connecting flight would be at New York (LGA) airport! According to their account resolution coordinator, I scheduled my flight that way. Who in their right mind would want to catch a connecting flight from ANOTHER AIRPORT??? How STUPID does that sound?! On top of that why would a company make that an option?

I clicked on the flight to Boston and it gave me my connecting flight. I don't recall clicking on another connection and I for sure wouldn't have chosen another airport! When I checked in at the kiosk it didn't print out my luggage tag but it printed out my 2 tickets. I ended up going to the ticketing agent who told me that my bag could be transferred to my connecting flight. He didn't notice my flight was at another airport. He told me usually it can connect but he didn't know why mine couldn't. That tells me he didn't even realize my connecting flight was at another airport. According to the resolution coordinator, bags connecting at another airport cannot be transferred automatically... duh! Why wouldn't your ticketing agent know that?! Because he didn't know about the deceiving booking!

Well I got to the other airport and that airlines had no clue that I had luggage. 'What!' you say...Yup in their system I had no luggage! HAWAIIAN AIRLINES can't communicate to their employees or their connecting airlines. No wonder why their booking system is all ** up! JetBlue was the connecting airlines that was used to fly from New York to Boston and they seemed confused too! They were like - why did you come from another airport? Even a worker at the airport said, "Why would an airline do that?" Well I therefore voiced my complaint to Hawaiian and their resolution coordinator wrote back stating since I made my flight they see nothing wrong.

I want everyone to be aware that Hawaiian doesn't care about their customers only about the money. No other airline would allow you to book a connecting flight at another airport. Hawaiian Airlines will blame you, the customer for booking the wrong flight even when it's not your fault. It's their DECEIVING BOOKING website! The Hawaiian way doesn't deceive their customers. Better love and ALOHA booking with another company. The resolution coordinator doesn't see an issue here so you'll have no luck resolving this type of issue in the future. I want to let others know that Hawaiian Airlines isn't what it used to be. Pay attention to what flight you book and question everything even when you think it makes sense if you choose to fly with Hawaiian. I used to be a loyal customer but after this experience I'm letting everyone know to be aware of their DECEIVING bookings!

Original review: June 15, 2019

Hawaiian Airlines has poor customer service and is only after your money. I won't be using them again in the future. They wouldn't credit my the HawaiianMiles that I earned on my flight. They charge a lot of fees and their prices are higher than normal. They raised their flight prices when gasoline was high but they never lowered their flight prices when gasoline got cheaper. They are only after your money. I hope more flight options become available on Southwest Airlines. I won't be flying with Hawaiian Airlines in the future. I hope their monopoly is coming to the end.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: May 18, 2019

It is very upset and frustrating when travel a long trip from Boston to Honolulu and has a connection to go to Kona, however, your flight has been changed without prior notice and communication. We arrive for our connection on time and was until we were going through the gates that we learned the flight was changed. Customer service was not helpful and I am still waiting for management to address my questions and concerns. I would definitely not travel or recommend this company again.

Original review: May 1, 2019

When my Mom Traveled back Home to Hawaii, Oahu this morning 04/30/19 from San Jose Airport at 9 am Flight #HA 43, I Confirmed with ticket Agent she needs wheelchair service. She said, ""Dont worry. You already booked for HANDICAP WHEELS CHAIR SERVICE from airplane to curbside." When she landed my Mom waited 30 mins for wheelchair service. No one came to get her. She had to walk to terminal #1 baggage claim. About a mile walk. In pain.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Horrible customer service! Check in refused to accept my surfboard bag because the measured the bag to be 1 inch over the maximum even though it was specified by the manufacturer to be 9’-6” board bag. We almost missed our flight due to their lack of understanding. NOT REASONABLE PEOPLE. Extremely rude and unhelpful.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I travel Hawaiian Airlines 2-3 times a week. No bags and Elite Hawaiian Airline status. I say this only to emphasize my experience with traveling Hawaiian Airlines and maneuvering the Honolulu airport. I showed up to my gate between 8:10-8:15 am, departure time was 8:34. The doors were already locked. I went to the customer service desk and spoke with Lufi who was immediately rude and argumentative.

She claimed they did not close the doors early. I asked her what time they close the doors and she said 10 minutes before departure. I asked her what time that was because I believe they closed the doors early. She would not answer my question. Her words were that I was upset because I missed my flight and that it’s my own fault. I seriously have never experienced a service rep more rude in all my travel. I asked to speak with her supervisor and when he got there she continued to bully her supervisor! She yelled at me in front of him.

Ignored him when he was talking. I told her she was lying about what time they closed the boarding and that they closed boarding early. She started yelling,” No you’re the one lying!” It was shocking to see an employee acting like this in front of her supervisor! Her supervisor Em didn’t know what to say other than asked me to email a complaint to consumer affairs.

Employees like this should be fired. She could have easily taken care of the situation in a professional way, starting with being honest that they closed the doors early followed with an explanation of why. Then I would understand but instead she told me I was late, I was mad because I missed my flight, and would not answer my questions. Lufi is not the typical Hawaiian Airlines employee. She is rude and I’ve never encountered someone with such antagonizing behavior while traveling in my life. If you have a problem with Lufi please know you are not alone and report her to Consumer Affairs so she doesn’t continue to get away with disrespecting her supervisor and customers.

Original review: April 5, 2019

BUYER BEWARE- Hawaiian Airlines has taken to misrepresenting seat availability so that customers will think they are seated separately from their party and that the only option is to pay to upgrade if you want seats together. THIS IS A DECEPTION. I was just swindled out of $160 to find a less than half full plan even though they indicated during the check in process that no seats were available without additional fees. THEY ARE CON ARTISTS! Go with literally any other airlines you can. I would give them a zero rating if I could.

Hawaiian Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

• Best for: Vacationers and holiday travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information