1.64/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Your airline may owe you up to
$400
Bad airline experience?
You may qualify for a partial refund
You may think there's nothing you can do about delays and cancellations, but you can seek compensation for these and other bad experiences.
Think there's nothing you can do about delays or canceled flights? We'll help you seek compensation-try it for free!

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

208 Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have flown HAWAIIAN for 20+ years and am now bringing my kids on the same flights. HOWEVER, the experiences are completely different. The customer service SUCKS. The desk attendants are overburdened and seem to have little to zero information. We recently had a mechanical issue and had to deplane and then onto a series of flights to get home from Maui to Sacramento. What should have been 5 hours turned into 16 hours of flying and over 24 hours at the airports. Total Joke when trying to fly with a 4 and 8 year old. This was the flight from Hell.

While we have had many great flights with Hawaiian over the years, the past 3-5 have had issues in some way, shape or form and we will no longer be flying Hawaiian anymore from mainland to the islands. We have also found smaller, reasonably priced, flights between islands. It seems Hawaiian had zero customer service lately and didn't go out of their way to help any of the flight situations so we are going to go out of our way to not fly Hawaiian anymore. I agree with the previous post from another unhappy customer... The Aloha Spirit is Gone from Hawaiian Airlines! Good Luck.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

HAL pretty much has a monopoly on interisland flights. Prices are ridiculously high. Direct flights to Las Vegas are also ridiculous. An extra comfort seat is over $1000 round trip!! Honolulu to Vegas!!! I can go to NYC for that price.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I'm a US Marine Corps veteran who wanted to take his 84 year old disabled mother to Maui for a vacation. I have heart condition and my mother is on oxygen, in addition to a series of other ailments which prevent her from taking most trips. We booked a flight with Hawaiian Airlines through a travel agent who informed the airlines of our need for wheelchair service in addition to a letter for an oxygen concentrator. Upon arrival at the San Francisco ticket counter for Hawaiian Airlines we had already paid for our baggage and checked in so they put our bags on a flight to Maui, then we were told that the letter which we had printed on United Airlines stationary was not acceptable to Hawaiian Airlines. We had arrived for our flight approximately two and a half hours prior to departure figuring that we would be able to take care of any situation which might arise.

In the early stages of the interaction, the person at the ticket counter required us to take apart the concentrator to get numbers off the battery of which we accommodated, in addition to providing them the numbers off of the backup battery which was at the bottom of a carry on. We were told that there is no way that they can accept that because it was on United Airlines stationary. The doctor's authorization on United Airlines stationary has been used with Delta Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines and Southwest Airlines without any problems.

There was no mention of an additional requirement for the doctor's signature on the required documents letter or HA form to be within 10 days of travel. We were informed by the ticket agent that there's nothing they can do and that we need to get this letter from the doctor authorizing the use of the oxygen concentrator on his stationary or preferably the Hawaiian Airlines waiver which can be acquired on the Hawaiian Airlines website. Once this form is filled out by the doctor, to have him fax it to us and then they can reschedule our flight for the following day. Although there would be a $200 per ticket charge for changing our flight times. [ (+) $400]

We had already turned our car in at a park and fly hotel in the area so we were pretty much stuck at the airport. The hotel being customer service oriented was very understanding and provided us our vehicle and a ride back to the hotel in addition to a discount on the hotel for the next night. After speaking with the doctor we acquired the HA form (we were told this is the best option) which he filled out and faxed it to us at our hotel. Finally, we met ALL, the HA requirements (hoops), and we were thinking that we would be experiencing the Aloha Spirit within 24 hours. WRONG!!! Not with the customer service provided by Hawaiian Airlines in San Francisco. We arrived the following day at about the same time at the HA ticket counter with a Hawaiian Airlines waiver for an oxygen concentrator, having jumped through all the Hoops that HA had asked us to do.

At that point the ticket agent which was aware of our situation from the previous day, told us that they could not accept that because it was not the original. Huh, REALLY?? After explaining to the ticket agent how a fax machine works and that the original was in the doctor's office we were then told that they needed detailed O2 (oxygen) titration levels for the entire trip. We told them we have no idea except that it was at 3 L per minute. Fortunately a nurse standing at the next ticket counter explained it to the ticket agent, who responded, "Huh? OKAY."

The next hoop we were required to jump through was that at the bottom of the form next to the doctor's signature he failed to put the date. We reminded her that it was yesterday that they required us to get this form and, her response was once again, "I'm sorry there's nothing I can do" after pleading with her and explain to her how important this trip was for my elderly mother and that this was possibly the last opportunity that she would have to travel, she called her supervisor once again and the response from the supervisor, was seemingly that default response of, "I'm sorry there's nothing that we can do" we were told that we needed to contact our doctor, have him put the date on it and send us back a fax. We reminded the ticket agent that this was Saturday and that we were unable to contact the doctor until Monday which would put us on a flight for Tuesday but there would be a $200 charge for a changing of the reservation.

It seems that the Hawaiian Airlines personnel training is very non-customer service oriented but that they are willing to do many changes in your reservation at $200 a change. I can imagine that the reason that they need this money is because of the decline in travel by customers who have actually booked flights through Hawaiian Airlines and then become disgruntled because of the way in which that they were treated by the customer service people at the ticket counter in San Francisco.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Hawaiian Airlines has been my personal favorite to fly with for over 20 years, simply put over the past 3 years I've had nothing but bad experiences with Hawaiian from online reservation, seat assignments, rude flight attendants (The Aloha is gone!), unethical marketing tactics with upgrades, poor quality meals, lack of knowledge when to answer simple questions or resolve issues. Being Kamaaina I will continue to fly inter-island however for other domestic and international flights Hawaiian Air, unfortunately, is at the bottom of the list. The only reason I will continue to fly inter-island is convenience and available flights. Sorry for the unfavorable review Hawaiian Air but as a frequent flyer your service is equal or worst than all the other commercial airlines. I hope this review makes it to your Consumer Affairs so they can reintroduce the "Aloha" Hawaiian Air once had.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Booked a round-trip to Maui (OGG) from San Francisco (SFO) in late September 2017. The flight out of SFO ended up being 13+ hours delayed and I joined the line of disgruntled passengers wishing to speak to a gate agent about alternative means of travel. Because the line was so long we were informed that we could call Hawaiian Airlines directly, which I opted to do. The rep on the phone stated they were unaware of the flight delay and to call back shortly. I called again about 20 min later and they were still unable to confirm that the flight was delayed. This rep stated they would call me in 30 min with an update.

I rejoined the line and found a flight with United that was leaving in a couple of hours and wanted to speak with the Hawaiian gate about getting on that flight. The line was still enormous and an agent began walking the line to speak with those of us in the back. She informed me that I could book the United flight and submit my receipt to Hawaiian's CAO (Consumer Affairs Office) for a full reimbursement. Incredulous of this claim I asked for verification from her manager.

She left and asked the manager who confirmed and gave us a card with the CAO contact information. I once again asked for confirmation and stated "I will not book these tickets unless it is guaranteed I will receive a reimbursement in full" which was about $762. The agent stated again that I would. As she stated this, another agent came over the PA announcing the same information. Book alternate travel and submit a request to the CAO. I booked through United and left the gate.

On the way to the new terminal I decided to call Hawaiian one more time, seeing that they had neglected to call me back as promised. I confirmed with the rep on the phone that I would receive my reimbursement in full. That is FOUR representatives of Hawaiian Airlines assuring me that I would receive my full $762. I submitted my receipt and request to the CAO and was informed that the reimbursement was not their policy and they would not be refunding me the full amount. I instead would receive a refund for the round trip tickets unused and some travel vouchers which expire in a year. Their vouchers are useless to me, therefore leaving the amount I received well under the amount promised by the employees beforehand.

Despite me informing them that 4 Hawaiian Airlines employees all gave me the same information the CAO would not budge. I invited them to pull the call where it was confirmed and informed them that I did my due diligence in ensuring that I was not going outside of their policy by booking alternate travel. I requested to speak with the CAO on the phone, but no go there either. They don't have a phone number and now "consider this matter closed". Their customer service is a joke and an embarrassment to the hospitality industry. Be forewarned that any 'guarantees' you receive from them on your future travel is predicated on empty promises to their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I booked a vacation package which included a resort, rental car, and flight for my family and I to Maui. After booking, I called the resort to add a crib to our room for our infant son. Upon calling the resort the reservationist informed me that 3 of 4 pools onsite would be closed for renovations during the time of our stay. Hawaiian Vacations website had no notification of the pool closures when I purchased the package. I called Hawaiian Vacations to cancel the package I had just booked. The customer service representative was hard to understand, and didn't understand me. The customer service representative finally understood why I wanted to cancel our vacation package, since there would be only 1 pool at our entire resort we booked to enjoy on our tropical vacation.

The representative informed me that even though I purchased the protection plan for $150 additional so that I could cancel anytime for any reason, it only covered cancellations and refunds of the amounts for the resort and rental car. The representative told me that I could not get a refund for the airline portion of my vacation package, but that I could use it as a flight credit for future use. I explained to her that I was not okay with that, and I asked for a manager. The manager I spoke to told me that since it was Hawaiian Airline's fault for mis-advertising the resort I booked, he would make an exception and refund me the portion for the airline as well. Today I called to check and see why I was still missing a refund for $1800 for the airline portion of my vacation package and was told that they hadn't processed a refund for it, and there were no notes from the manager I spoke to about refunding it.

I waited on hold for over an hour to speak to another manager who told me that she couldn't refund the airline portion without a reason, and that she needed to go listen to the recording from my phone call with the manager to prove what he promised me before she could process the refund. The manager today also informed me that it would take 8 weeks for the refund, when the previous manager told me 5-7 business days. The manager today told me she promised she would call me back today after listening to the recordings, I have not had any callback. This is the second time a manager has promised to call me back, and has not. I called my credit card company and disputed the charges while this is getting figured out. Hawaiian Vacations is not a company I would recommend ever, or use ever! This is criminal!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We fly a lot with you and have a business with 24 employees that fly with you. When trying to call your customer service Dept., it is now only in the Philippines. There is never a way to speak to someone in America whether Honolulu or the mainland. The people in the Philippines are polite but lack enough common sense or understanding to really help people without it being a 30 minute experience. This year has been a very frustrating year with your company, constant website issues for one.

My husband was trying to use his Platinum upgrade certificates today and because we booked ourselves separately he could not apply his to me and we are on the same plane. This is crazy! I am not returning the same day as him so we were forced to book separate tickets. The people in the Philippines have no way to override this. There is a complete refusal to transfer our call to anyone in America. Also, the planes have been very dirty lately and even in first class. Fed up!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have been using this airline for more than 10 years or when they started their rewards program to go to Hawaii. Customer service is great and they are the only airline I know that still serve meals free. Most if not all the airplanes land so smoothly. I noticed it the first time I flew with them. I do a lot of traveling so I have used a lot of different airlines. Pilots and crew surely practice the Aloha spirit.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My flight from Kahului Maui was canceled. The first customer service representative told me the weather was so bad on Molokai that they could not land. I checked Weather Radar and there was not a flood in the sky. They booked me on a flight the next day and gave me a hotel voucher but would not give me food vouchers. They told me I should keep my receipts and send to Customer service for a refund. They are required by law to give customers food vouchers. I was already inconvenienced and now I have to argue with them to get my money back. This is not the first time this has happened. Last time the CAO consumer affairs advocate refused to refund me any extra of it pocket money and never replied back to my email. New management under Mark Dunkerley has ruined this airline. AVOID THIS CARRIER IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

Original review: July 30, 2017

I recently flew on Hawaiian Airlines that was a few hours late in departing, was a little disappointed because I had to readjust my schedule and meetings. When these delays happen, do airlines compensate for any inconveniencing?

Original review: July 7, 2017

I'm sitting on the runway for almost 2 hours waiting to find a gate near a very stinky bathroom. The captain only announced once that we are looking for a gate and made a few snarky comments about Los Angeles. We are still sitting here almost 2 hours later with no update on our gate. The flight attendants are rude and cackling and gossiping in the galley. Our flight left 35 minutes late and they crammed us into some hot area like cattle waiting for the plane to board with no explanation regarding the delay. Total buzzkill to the end of a vacation. Not to mention the price of the tickets was absurd. Not flying with Hawaiian airlines again

Original review: June 27, 2017

Made a reservation on Hawaiian through the Internet. It told me to call customer service to let them know I have a service dog. Called they said "that's fine bring his ID, my ID and a letter from my doctor." I live Hilo side but was flying out of Kona for a mainland flight. Checked in, gave them all my IDs and documents, he took it to the back came back said the letter needed to be addresses to Hawaiian Airlines. This is 4:15pm, they hand me a piece of paper and said to have my doctor modify it so I called my doctor but they closed at 4:30. The gentleman helping me said, "I'm sorry but that's our policy" then went on to say if I had a carrier for him I could bring him in that as a carry on for $35.00.

So I called my son that has dropped me off to get a carrier and bring it to me, he does. I went back to the counter and it was a different person she tells me it's not $35.00, it's $225.00. What I say wow so it was getting close to boarding time so I said I would pay it (very unhappy) then I put my service dog in the carrier my son brought then this person asks me for his heath certificate. I reply, "Service dogs don't need health certificates." She replies, "I'm sorry we can't help you that's our policy"!!! Not sure what to do now so I called my son back to the airport again. While waiting I called the US SERVICE ANIMAL AGENTS who took the info to file a complaint against Hawaiian Airlines. Now I'm separated from my service dog and having horrible depression flying without my service dog!!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I booked a ticket from Australia to Kauai on hawaiianairlines.com and added a hotel since it appeared it will save me a little time and money. What I didn't know is that as soon as you add a hotel or rental car you are suddenly dealing with a different company, even though Hawaiian Air logos appear all over the web site. Suddenly you are dealing with a online travel agency with hard to find contact information and a call center in the Philippines. It appears that Expedia is now handling the booking of my hotel, including my flight ticket. Once I realized I can't use my HA travel voucher and because I started to have second thoughts about the whole process, I called to cancel my reservation. This was within a couple of hours of paying with my credit card and well within their 24-hour, 100% refund cancellation period.

I was on the phone for 40 minutes for a simple cancellation after searching for a way to cancel online. I received my refund but not in a single transaction but in 3 different credits to my overseas credit card. Because of overseas transaction fees, I only got 94% back, not the 100% I expected. This could have easily been avoided if the original transaction was reversed. I called the call center again but didn't get any positive results except verbal runarounds in circles. I really enjoy flying with Hawaiian Airlines and have used them frequently for over 10 years. It is my favorite airline but I don't understand why HA would get into a partnership with such a cheap, second class discount travel agent and put its logo on their website. It tarnishes HA's reputation, as it's evident from the other feedback regarding buying a ticket and adding either a hotel or a rental car.

If you are like me and are looking to find an email address to contact that travel agent, here it is: **. And this is how that travel agent advertises their services to its customers, the airlines: "All packages are prepaid, non-refundable and non-cancellable, allowing suppliers to provide NeatAgent with competitively priced NET rate inventory."

Original review: June 8, 2017

On flight back from Hawaii the pilot comes on, says, "If you open the credit card you will get a round trip ticket to Oahu. A companion flies 50% off their round trip ticket," and other things. We get the card. You have to spend $7000 in 90 days to receive the miles. We did. Go to use miles and find out you only get one of the benefits you can't use the round trip along with the 50% off companion. To use the companion discount unless a full price ticket is purchased then you get discount. It is so misleading starting off with the pilot. The paperwork is misleading until you read the fine print. Just want to warn others as I will do on the next flight to anyone who thinks it's a bargain on Hawaiian airlines. My husband is Hawaiian and he and I both agree this is not the aloha spirit that Hawaiians have so the credit card and Hawaiian airlines are a fraud! READ the fine print!!!

Original review: May 13, 2017

So, Hawaiian Airlines just screwed my friend Julie out of $200! AND, they don't even use their real name, they use... and I quote: "phone names"!! Customer service is so bad they need to use FAKE names??? Here is the email I sent to the company: My friend and travel partner, Julie **, purchased 3 round trip tickets to Honolulu from Las Vegas. The reservation personnel messed up her return flight by having the return flight be the same day as the flight out... which is impossible! We have been on the phone for over an hour trying to fix this, your people are being snippy and are not very helpful at all! Now you are charging her another $200??? What is wrong with you?? This is NOT good customer service! You should give her a $200 credit at the very least! NOT SATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!

Original review: May 5, 2017

Our first-class tickets to Kahalui, Maui were very reasonable; the food was great; and the service was on par with the best we've experienced on other top-rated airlines!

Original review: April 25, 2017

A letter dated April 14, 2017 indicated I would lose my miles on 8/31/2017 if I did not have some activity on my mileage account, meaning a credit card purchase or flight. THE PROBLEM IS, I FLEW HAWAIIAN IN JANUARY AND FEBRUARY OF 2017. What is going on with the management? Are they that inept or are they trying to get me to use the miles for some magazine they offered on the back of the letter so that I would not use in for airline tickets?

Original review: April 25, 2017

I reported Fraud charge of $1495.90 on my credit card with Hawaiian Airlines customer service. I was told they will refund me back. After 3 months no refund, nada at all so I file a dispute with my credit card company and my credit card company issue me a credit of $1495.90. 4 months later, which is last week Hawaiian Airlines sent false documents to my credit card company saying that the ticket issue 4 months ago was already used. That pisses me off. First of all, there was no ticket issued, fraud charge was reported the same day. Hawaiian Airlines demanded my card to be charge again for $1495.90. This was ** Hawaiian Airlines is nothing but a fraud. They stole my money now. When I called my credit card company they told me it's hard to get it reversed now because Hawaiian Airlines presented proof that a ticket issued was already used. Ticket my ass, there was no ticket to begin with. This is a big amount of money these ** took from me.

Original review: April 22, 2017

Flew on the 767. Seats are cramped, metal entertainment control box on floor stole legroom, flight staff not friendly, and lavatories were filthy and smelled horrible! Entertainment very expensive! Meal was mediocre! Will never fly with them again!!!

Original review: April 17, 2017

On 4/16/17, I was leisurely on Hawaiian Airlines website checking rates for my Hawaiian wedding scheduled in August 2017. I have already purchased 5 tickets for my immediate family and wanted to potentially purchase an additional ticket for a family member. I noticed the fares for my wedding dates were a lot less than what I paid for and I decided to call reservations to see what my options were.

At approximately 8:30p (CA time) I was transferred to a supervisor, Stephanie, employee # **. Stephanie said she can help me but, there were terms and conditions I needed to agree to including: $40 processing fee per ticket and a credit voucher instead of a refund and that there were no exceptions since "policy is policy". I told her I did not accept that since I was never told this while researching which airlines to use. I asked to speak to her supervisor and Stephanie then said, "I am the highest point of contact and no one else at Hawaiian Airlines could do anything for you." She also said that I'd have to contact Consumer Affairs if I didn't agree with her because she is denying my request to waive the $40 processing fee, period. I insisted she connect me to a different manager and after debating with her over and over and a 5-7 minute hold, I was transferred to Jeremiah, employee # **.

Jeremiah was like a broken record and repeated nearly everything Stephanie said. I felt they were sitting right next to each other since the language was nearly identical. Jeremiah continued to tell me that "policy and policy" and there's nothing else he can do to help. I asked for a different supervisor or manager and he also insisted he was the only one there and no one else can do anything to help. He referred me to consumer affairs and said there is no other option for complaints. I told Jeremiah that I wanted to cancel all 5 of my tickets with Hawaiian Airlines and of course, he throws at me, "Your tickets are non refundable so I cannot fulfill your request." The $40 processing fee per ticket is outrageous! Not acceptable!

Jeremiah employee # ** also stated he was the highest point of contact. $107ea me and Greg - voucher $67ea. $127 Jas - voucher $87 good for 1 yr. $253 Erick - voucher $213 good for 1 yr. $112 mom - voucher $72 good for 1 year. After I was strong-armed to accepting these horrid terms and conditions, I was told about additional terms and conditions (that no one stated to me prior) which include, the voucher is only for the assigned passenger (even though I paid for all tickets!). Also, that the credit voucher will take 4-6 weeks to arrive!

Both managers were unhelpful and continued to throw "policy is policy" with every other sentence! To add insult to injury, as I mentioned that I would be contacting the executive team to voice my concerns of this awful experience, Jeremiah wants to add "this entire call will be documented and they will be able to see everything we talked about" so I responded, "That is exactly what I was hoping for!" Jeremiah then said, "The vouchers will take a long time to get to you so do you just want to end the call?" Are you kidding me!!! At this point I have been on the phone for nearly 1 hour!

These managers are bullies and both treated me like I was a second class citizen! I'm appalled and feel belittled! I haven't even flown on Hawaiian Airlines yet and this has turned into a nightmare! My wedding is supposed to be joyful and the happiest day. I now feel so stressed, bullied and feeling like I'm being forced to do something that is so wrong and unacceptable! I feel that Hawaiian Airlines has stolen $200 (the processing fee x 5 tickets) from me and I do truly feel robbed.

I'm prepared to contact consumer affairs, all local news stations, all social media outlets and deter all my friends and family from ever using Hawaiian Airlines ever! I'm so terribly upset. I'm shaken. I feel this behavior is abuse! My blood pressure is through the roof and I don't understand why I was treated so badly from an airlines I thought was truly focused on excellent customer service. I'm devastated!

UPDATE ON 05/01/2017: This is an update to a review I submitted on 04/17/2017 regarding a terrible customer service experience incident that took place over the phone on 04/16/2017. Hawaiian Airlines officials did respond to my complaint but offered me an impossible resolution that pretty much still has me out of $706.00! Hawaiian Airlines offered to waive the $40.00 per ticket service fee but refused to refund my original form of payment leaving me with credit vouchers that I can not use! I have no plans to travel to Hawaii (other than my wedding which is already paid for) and the credit vouchers are useless. That is $706.00 of my hard earned money tied up in credit vouchers that will never be used so in my eyes, I am still robbed by $706.00!

At the very least I am requesting for these vouchers to be transferrable so someone can use them but at this point, Hawaiian Airlines has overcharged me $706.00 and is getting away with it! The representative that reached out to me even said in her own words "Hawaiian Airlines makes it impossible to claim a credit." I hope Hawaiian Airlines will make good on refunding me my $706.00 or at least make these vouchers transferable. I am still very shaken by my experience with the customer service department and hope for some kind of resolution. Again, due to Hawaiian Airlines only flying to Hawaii, my family and I can not use the credit vouchers within 1 year time. We are truly stuck between an rock and a hard place. Please help.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I stay in Hawaii at my second home every year same time for 20 years. The problem is that my card expires while I'm traveling or within a month. Barclays apparently can not send the card early and on Molokai, we do not have postal delivery and they do not deliver to "general delivery" so they charge me for FedEx delivery. Also since they have a month window of when they send them out it could be sitting anywhere! Apparently there is absolutely no way to change the expiration date, so I also have to cancel card and then get new # to all my autopays.

For a airlines travel card, this is not very smart or consumer friendly. They also do not post transaction for several days, usually about 4-5. All my other cards send a message usually before I even leave the store. In today's fraud culture this is not very smart... They need to get with the times and update their technology. I do like the airlines and fly 3-4 times a year. 90% of time just great service, other hey we all have our off days. They really just need to rethink their association with Barclays. Mahalo.

Original review: April 3, 2017

We love Hawaiian Airlines flight attendants! BUT the corporate end of Hawaiian Airlines is horrible. We added a car to our mainland flight using the Hawaiian Air website and using our Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card. Not once during the transaction did it say we are leaving Hawaiian Air website, it even has the logo on every web page and on all emails relating to this reservation! BUT come to find out all the sudden because I added a rental car (instead of using costco.com like I always do!!) now everything is messed up: 1. No more free checked bag, 2. No more double miles, 3. EXTRA $200 'TRANSACTION FEE' to make changes, 4. Cannot make changes to the flight online anymore, 5. Have to call some horrible call center - maybe in India??

How is this Hawaiian Airlines?? We have always flown them for their great customer service. We are so sad. I went to extend our trip to the mainland on Hawaiian Air website and they say I can't make changes since it is not through Hawaiian Air. I had to call some random number, the guys is in a call center in India and he says $200 for each ticket which I had expected, and now an extra $200 that they call a transaction fee... I ask to talk to a supervisor but he just says he sorry and they can't do anything about it. Basically it is my fault for being a dummy and adding a car. I really feel like this is a scam and I hope others do not fall for it like I did. I wish I could put minus five stars!! I attached my confirmation and went through the process on Hawaiian Air website and added screen shots showing that it never says you are leaving Hawaiian Air and that all the perks will be voided.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I writing you in regards to a recent trip that me and my extended family took to Oahu (HA15 on 02/27 and HA 16 on 03/05, confirmation **). This was my first time flying Hawaiian because of a recommendation of a family member. I must say for the most part all employees were cheerful and accommodating. My granddaughter was excited to see Moana on the side of the plane. Our extended family that was traveling with us upgraded to extra comfort so we did as well in order to have the children traveling with us be able to interact with each other on this long flight. Not long after each flight I received emails asking me to rate each flight to which I promptly filled out the requested information. The following were my concerns; San Diego to Oahu, HA 15. Seat was very uncomfortable, bottom cushion either not enough padding and/or worn out making it difficult to relax.

The flight attendant that was providing service on our side (port side) was rude and unpleasant. She appeared very annoyed anytime I had a interaction with her. She was wearing a apron over her name tag the entire flight that prevented me from obtaining her name. I looked across the aircraft and noted how pleasant and attentive the flight attendant was, constantly interacting with the passengers. In fact my brother was on that side of the plane and stated that the service that he received was impeccable.

Oahu to San Diego, HA 16. The flight attendant(s) that provided service on this flight were GREAT! However I again found the seat very uncomfortable, bottom cushion either not enough padding and/or worn out making it difficult to relax. I'll remember to bring a seat cushion next time. The entertainment systems in the headrest are great when working. I only mention this because just as I was getting settled in to relax the passenger behind me apparently had a problem with his unit because he kept pounding on it which in turn shook my seat and headrest.

Received a follow-up email requesting feedback about my customer service experience with Ms. **, I replied to her email; I responded to both emails from Hawaiian Airlines on February 27nd and March 5th right after both flights touched down with the requested "how was your flight" feedback. I haven't received any contact regarding my concerns/complaints to these surveys so I'm incline to think that they're not of any relevance to Hawaiian Airlines. Two weeks after returning home, not receiving any contact regarding my requested feedback, I made my issues regarding both unpleasant flights directly to CEO Mark Dunkerley's email address and receive an email from customer affairs offering me a fifty dollar travel voucher? Really felt personal seeing it appeared to be a standardized response. A fifty dollar voucher isn't going to persuade me to fly or recommend Hawaiian Airlines to my family, friends, and web contacts.

I complain very seldom and are quick to praise individuals and companies that value my business. In the few times that I felt I needed to contacted a company's CEO they've made direct contact with me and on occasion telephoned me. Thank you for allowing me to vent my displeasure again in the hope that it improves the experience that others may have flying with Hawaiian Airlines. Apparently Hawaiian Airlines doesn't really care about their customers. I'll fly Alaska or United from now on. Hope this feedback helps others when seeking an airline to fly to Hawaii.

Original review: March 31, 2017

On Wednesday, 3/29/2017, my husband, my daughter, and I were on flight HA5 from Las Vegas to Honolulu. I usually pay for upgraded extra comfort seats and this time was no different. I paid for seats 33C, 33D, and 34A. My daughter asked my husband if she could sit by the window (which was an exit row seat) so they switched. A few minutes after boarding, a female flight attendant approached my daughter to ask her age. My daughter told the female flight attendant that she was fourteen. Due to not meeting exit row seat requirements the flight attendant tried to switch my daughter's seat with a stranger who was sitting in coach.

To remedy the situation, my husband and I thought that it would be ok if he took his originally booked seat since he did indeed meet exit row seat requirements. My husband apparently caused a lot of commotion by taking back his booked seat in 34A. A male flight attendant whose name tag said Nick approached my husband and said, "Get ready to move. We looked you up and know what you did". There was no introduction and an unforgettable smirk on his face. I then told him that it was unnecessary to talk to us the way that he was talking. Nick continued to berate us saying, "That's why you booked your reservations separately, to beat the system".

Even the passengers around us could not believe the way he spoke to us. Our reservations were booked separately because I used miles and our Hawaiian Miles credit card to book my husband's ticket, my debit card to book both my daughter's ticket and my ticket. If he had introduced himself and asked nicely as opposed to accusing us of purposefully trying to go around the rules, we would not have been as upset. This attendant purposefully berated and embarrassed my family. My fourteen year old daughter felt as if the whole situation was her fault. She is fourteen for goodness sake.

According to Nick, there is an FAA guideline that states that no one in a party shall sit in an exit row seat if there is a single party member under the age of 15 regardless if an accompanying adult is sitting with the minor. I have still yet to confirm this with the FAA as there is nothing online. So the male attendant proceeded to tell my husband that since we broke the rule my husband would lose his seat in extra comfort. My husband was then forced to switch seats with a stranger in coach. This stranger was a woman who sat in 34C. My family and I do not appreciate the accusations of trying to "beat the system". So not only did we pay for a seat that wasn't given to us, we were berated and embarrassed. Hawaiian airlines prides itself on customer service and aloha. This experience displayed otherwise. I expect the situation to be remedied appropriately as the service received on this flight was absolutely appalling.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Beware of Customer Service. Booked a vacation package for a trip for myself and my 10-year old daughter. I called the hotel with questions and was told that children 17 and under stay free. I called Hawaiian Airlines to change the package and remove the hotel portion for my daughter, I spent over an hour on the phone... mysteriously transferred to someone else, had to explain everything all over again and the 2nd agent didn't seem to understand a word I said, she just repeated herself over and over again. Will never use this service ever again, nor will I recommend it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

My flight on Hawaiian Airlines had been delayed repeatedly so I almost missed the last connecting flight of the evening. Upon arriving to HNL there had been multiple gate changes which were not updated on the monitor in the terminal. I ran as fast as I could to find my departing gate. As I arrived at the gate I indicated to the gate agent it's very frustrating to not know which gate to be at, the employee responded, "Well you are here now". Very rude when a simple apology was in order. I needed to contact my husband to let him know of the flight change so he could pick me up. As I entered the aircraft I asked the flight attendant what time we would land and he rudely responded, "Depends on what time we depart." He didn't offer to expand or help.

I proceeded to find my seat then sat down. My row was empty so I put my backpack on the seat next to me trying to get settled in from the stress and trying to contact my husband before the door closed. The same flight attendant walks down the aisle and says to me, "Your backpack must be put underneath the seat." He was extremely rude again and mind you the door to the aircraft still hadn't closed. I responded to him, "Yes I know." The flight attendant then asks for my boarding pass, I locate it and hand it to him not knowing why he is requesting it. He snatches the boarding pass from my hand and walks away down the aisle. Soon after an Air Marshall walks down the aisle to speak to me. He says, "You have an attitude with the flight attendant." I responded "No sir I did not and I feel harassed by him. His response was, "No you are not being harassed! Can you fly tonight without incident or do I need to contact the police?"

So completely startled as to why this gentleman is even talking to me I respond, "Yes no problem." I did not move the entire flight for fear of encountering the same flight attendant. We landed and I stood up to deplane but thought to myself I need to report this employee. I asked a female flight attendant behind me if I may have the name of the senior flight attendant of this flight. Her response was, "Everything you need to know is in your flight record." Once again just rude and inconsiderate responses. I didn't ask anything further and just proceeded down the aisle. As I pass the male flight attendant, he says in a loud obnoxious voice, "What does her shirt say?" I was in a work uniform with a logo on it.

As I reach the end of the jetway and step into the airport I hear over the radio "Stop that woman in a uniform." The employees ask me for my boarding pass which I no longer had as it was never returned to me. I responded, "I don't have it. Your flight attendant took it from me." I proceeded out of the airport and left. The male flight attendant was a young local and so was the air Marshall who boarded the plane to speak with me. Over the years I've heard stories of locals harassing people from the mainland but never experienced anything of this magnitude. I was traveling alone away from home and terrified by these employees. At no time did I break any federal laws, and not one employee could explain what I did wrong. I am deeply disturbed to know Hawaiian Airlines employs locals that display this type of behavior to their passengers. I will be escalating the incident to their executive office and seek legal council.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I don't recommend Hawaiian Airlines to anyone. I've been trying to use my 80000 + miles to book flights. Apparently though, HA doesn't set aside very many seats for its loyalty program members. We started trying to book flights approximately a hundred days before our vacation (right after my fiancee had her vacation approved). That wasn't good enough to get flights at decent times. We're faced with either leaving very early or very late both coming and going. What did their customer service tell me we should do? They said we should have booked when they opened up the flights for booking - 330 days ahead. REALLY??? That would have been totally unrealistic for us and I think many other people. Why don't you just add more seats for people who are members of your program? Loyalty isn't a one way street. What makes it worse is Hawaiian Airlines doesn't care.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Sat in the airplane for over 2 hours while they were waiting for some other flights to arrive with no real ideas as to when that was going to happen. Really bad communication and customer service. I have had a bad Hawaiian Air experience before so I should have learned my lesson but thought I would give them another try. The spirit OF Aloha is a two-way street. Treat your customers better!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Jan 6th 2017 arrived at airport to find flight delayed. Noticed we would miss connection. Called customer service. Was told after 20 min they had put us on a flight arriving at 730 pm. I explained I had grandkids arriving at Lihue Airport and they would be alone for approx 6 hrs. She told me to talk to agent at the airport. When she arrived she referred me back to customer service. Called again after I went online and found a flight leaving Kauai to Lihue getting there at 230pm with 9 seats available. The phone agent said she couldn't get me those because I purchased coach and those were preferred seating.

After going back and forth she told me to speak to agent in Maui. On the flight to Maui we were told that they were going to hold the plane. That didn't happen. We ran to the gate just as they closed the door. Agent in Maui said no seats available. Sent me to Island Air to buy tickets. They sent me back. Different agent was now at the counter helping explained she said no seats. I asked what other airline Flys to Lihue so I can buy a ticket. She said "Oh you want to buy a ticket." I said "No but I won't leave my grandkids alone so I have no choice." Her reply was "I have two first class seats for sale on the next flight. The total will be 628.00."

I bought the tickets and this was the same flight I had been trying to get on all day. I have flown Hawaiian for 16 years but will now search other airlines. After I use my ticket that we didn't use which now I hear that will cost 200.00 to change, what a scam. And this is the short version of my whole experience. I also faxed a 7-page complaint the day after we returned on the 17th and I have not heard back from Hawaiian Airlines.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Bought a ticket for 628$. Had to change for medical reasons. The ticket price was 403$. I had to pay a 200$ change fee but apparently you don't get any credit for the amount you paid if the subsequent ticket is less that what you paid. BUT if it costs more, you pay the difference. So even though they say you have 628$ travel credit, you only have as much credit as the next flight you take PLUS you pay 200$ extra to change. They keep you on hold forever, speak horrible English and basically are robbing their passengers.

Hawaiian Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

• Best for: Vacationers and holiday travelers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information