2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.47/5

Hawaiian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

In early Feb/2020, bought tickets for my SO and myself RT from OAK to OGG (Maui). Trip was for 4/18-5/2. Covid hit, everything was shutdown, and all our flights were cancelled. To use miles, I bought ONE (1) RT ticket (one charge), ONE (1) ticket from OAK to OGG using miles and paid $5.60 for the taxes (one charge) and ONE (1) return flight ticket from OGG to OAK (the third charge). All the flights were cancelled of course. And I got credit for ALL the 3 charges originally.

10 days ago, Hawaiian Air RE-CHARGED the credit card for the flight from OGG to OAK; they told the credit card company (after I disputed the charge) that a 'voucher' had been issued. After hours of fighting to get the refunds and figuring I was done with them in June, I now have to restart entire fight to get a refund for a cancelled flight. I can't believe that they can just go charge your card months later on a whim. I don't want a voucher - I don't want to do business with them ever. Next step, DOT complaint.

Original review: June 22, 2020

This airline is dishonest, corrupt, and greedy. I have never experienced such poor service in my life. I booked 3 non-stop tickets from LAX to KOA. I specifically booked with Hawaiian because the flights were non-stop. Hawaiian showed these flights as in service and allowed them to be booked, then 2 weeks later "accommodated" me (how generous) on a flight that had a long layover in Honolulu that I never agreed to. I paid for a non-stop flight and that is all I am willing to accept. They also split up my family around the cabin even though I paid for the more expensive tickets to be able to select our seats.

Conveniently Hawaiian changed their refund rules from being eligible for a refund if your flight was changed from a non-stop to a connecting flight to a credit only. They advertise non-stop flights that are not even currently in operation then switch you to long connecting flights and change the rules in their favor so they won't refund you... Only give you a restrictive credit. Classic "bait and switch" criminal scheme. Hawaiian took 653 million dollars of your tax money as a bailout, yet they abuse their customers and refuse to follow the DOT enforcement action letter regarding refunds.

I implore anyone having a similar experience to file a complaint with the DOT, BBB, and Hawaii Attorney General and post a review of your experience everywhere. Save your fellow travelers the trouble we are experiencing. Also, if you purchased your flight with a credit card initiate a charge back with your credit card company. Do your research and gather your facts to make your case. There is lots of information on the internet to help you.

I am looking forward to the class action lawsuits that are pending and hope the DOT and Federal Government step in to take action against predatory companies like this one. Hawaiian Airlines' treatment of its customers during this time is going to have a long lasting negative effect on this company that will last much longer than this pandemic. Hawaiian Airlines is a brown stain on the aviation world. They will never get business from my family ever again. I hope you are smart enough not to trust this dishonest company either.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2020

They cancelled or changed all of our flights, 2 in total, beginning on April 28th. No flight refunded, no miles returned, no help. Had to book with another airline which cost us twice as much, much worse seats, and exposed us to hundreds of unprotected people at each airport, especially Dallas.

Original review: May 31, 2020

Hawaiian Airlines is not practicing "social distancing guidelines" as recommended by CDC/WHO. Other major airlines such as United, Delta and JetBlue are honoring passenger safety (blocking adjacent seats) ahead of company profits ($$). Not only have I experience multiple cancelled flights by Hawaiian Airlines, I now have been re-routed to another airport, lost my premium bulkhead seat and have been seated directly next to another passenger.

Original review: May 29, 2020

My original flight for me and my family was HA55 at 12pm-2:40pm through Hawaiian airlines. I went online today to see that the flight has disappeared and now the only flight they have leaves at 10am (2 hours earlier), now has a 5 hour layover when mine was non-stop and the flight numbers have changed. I called Hawaiian to request my refund and they are saying all they will give is a voucher even though my flight technically has disappeared. How is this ok? I deserve a refund as this was not the flight I booked at all. I requested to speak with a Supervisor as well. He would not do anything. This is a significant change. I deserve a refund!!! I paid more for a non-stop flight too which turned into a flight with a 5 hour layover but yet I am not eligible to get my money back????

They are trying to say the flight needs to have a 6 hour difference from the start of the flight. That is **. What about the 5 hour layover plus 2 hour earlier start time? That is 7 hours. It's not even my flight. They are getting away with me paying for the original non-stop flight and turning it into a broken up flight? I am due a refund. I WILL NEVER FLY WITH THEM AGAIN!!!

Original review: May 25, 2020

I write an email to HA requesting a refund in the amount of $1,841.55 for a transaction at Hawaiian Airlines on February 18, 2020 at 5:10 PM. The flights were canceled due to the Corona virus outbreak. Hawaiian communicated the fact that they were closing down the routes and offered 3 options for handling booked flights one of the options was issuing a full refund. Of course they would also offer credits for future trips but in the email I sent to them I asked for a refund. I received an email from HA that stated I was being offered a credit which I can not use in a timely manner. I don’t know if there is anything that you can do but I am pleading my case in hopes of a resolution.

My travel agent has also written them an email using the Codes that they products for Travel professionals and she has also not received ANYthing from HA. The trip that was originally booked was a once in a lifetime travel event with friends who will never be together again. HA gave lots of updates indicating their plans to cancel flights and after I canceled mine they offered options including refunds. The DOT has also reached out the industry about the policy of canceling flights but only offering vouchers as the resolution. There's a good chance that I will not be able to use the voucher which means that HA has created a way to just steal our money. Any help that you can provide will be appreciated.

Original review: May 25, 2020

We were to fly back to Las Vegas on 10/29/2019 from Kona to Las Vegas and my fiancé had heart that day. We have Faxed over medical waiver in Oct 30 2019. Not sure the exact date and now they want me to fax again today and unfortunately this was in 10/2019 and don't have the document with me and sent over supporting docs when he was admitted and had to take another flight from Kona and sent over transportation from Honolulu airport to Queen's Medical Center. My fiancé ended up being on life support for his heart and if were to have take flight he might have not made it.

I have never have dealt with such a hassle to issue a refund. I'm sorry he had a heart attack and I have been calling Hawaiian airline for the last 7 months to get this resolved and no one is willing to help me or send me to the right direction. Please I need someone to call me or get this situated. This has been difficult with my fiancé being sick and trying to get a refund. Thank you.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Hawaiian has canceled my flight but they refuse to provide a refund. They want me to accept a voucher. I only fly to Hawaii every other year so a voucher Is not practical. They are willing to accept 625 million in aid to help pay employees. Every time I call I reach an agent based in the Philippines. So it appears that the US tax payers will be indirectly sending money to Non-US citizens.

Original review: April 25, 2020

No details are available until we hear from you on how you can help us. We can't get a refund from Hawaiian Airlines... So we're are requesting someone to help us get a refund for our airline tickets.

Original review: March 26, 2020

We had to change out flights due to covid19 and this airline had the audacity to charge us more on top of our schedule flights already to reschedule. We can not go to Hawaii for May as planned and we had to reschedule but they are doing us a favor by allowing us to change the flight once only and by doing us a favor they mean charge us more for rescheduling. We don't even know if we are going to be able to fly on the new dates and if we can not we will lose our tickets. First and last time I fly with them.

Hawaiian Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information