2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.7/5 (232 ratings)

About Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Customer service lie about fees, disconnect calls on purpose, incorrect phone transfers deliberately, does not return phone calls, do not resolve issues, deny manager availability and give run around.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Flew round trip in May after joining the mileage program. No miles added to the account. 5 attempts to reach a person on the customer service chat with literally zero response over 5 months. Call times to speak to a representative are 45 minutes average. Will never fly Hawaiian again.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Flying fr Vegas a family of 4 were seated separately. Flying back I’ve spent 4 hrs on the phone trying to get seated all together but no luck. They will use the “you book it to a 3rd party even though their own website directed me to Hawaiian vacation packages”. Worse customer service I’ve had ever.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I had a preexisting reservation on Hawaiian airlines that I needed to modify. I called them and the agent I spoke to completely lied to me about availability of seats on the new flight and tried to get me to pay $200 extra per person. I declined and without my permission he changed my flights. It took 3 more phone calls and hours of wasted time to fix what he did. I then called 4 more times afterwards and they eventually gave me 2000 miles as an apology. Worst customer service ever. I won't fly with them again.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Made a reservation 2 days before my trip between islands and due to unforeseen circumstances needed to cancel flight day before actual flight. Finally got through on reservation line only to find out they will only give me a credit. The credit does me no good as where I live on the main land Hawaiian Airlines doesn't service. I was told because I was trying to cancel a flight the day before departure they could not refund cost. Their policy is to only cancel flights that are seven days out from the actual flight. Which is pretty hard to do when the flight was booked in less than seven days. I'm going to try and see the positive side to this and hope that the CEO of Hawaiian Airlines will take the money I obviously donated to them and do something good with it. He/She probably want but it was a nice thought anyway.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I made reservations to Osaka, Japan for July 2021. Japan has not opened to tourists so I had to cancel my trip. I called customer service to rebook for Maui, It's not that they won't honor my flight's credits but the restrictions were unbelievable, First they won't let buy 2 tickets with my credits, second they wouldn't let use my credits for seat upgrade, They charged me 300 more for the same flights that was on their web page. The customer agent would not give a reasonable answer as to why it cost more. "It was the price that she has on her computer" WHAT! How can they be so inapt in the daily operations. I asked to talk with a supervisor and was told it would be another 24 Hrs after spending 1.5 hours with the customer service person. Never again will Hawaiian Airlines get my business, Never.

Original review: June 18, 2021

We had a trip planned in 2020. It got canceled. They refused to refund our money so we booked it again for 2021 and it cost another seven hundred dollars from the original flight for the same flight one year later. Surprise surprise that was canceled. So now in 2022 they are sending me emails about 50% off second guest and $80 trips to Hawaii.

Seemed like a good time. I figured maybe I could upgrade since they don't want to give me money back. Nope. Apparently if the trip cost more you'll pay more. If it cost less they will just pocket it. Covid has been hard on everyone, but the fact that you guys will gouge us in these times makes me absolutely disgusted. I've wasted days on hold like it's some kind of joke and they couldn't give their customers a heads up. This is absolutely pitiful. These reviews are not wrong. Go with any other airline. These guys are broken.

Original review: May 25, 2021

The App and Website does not allow cancellation for 1 of 2 passengers, and also to change a flight just for 1 passenger, and there are NO OPTIONS TO CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! Reservations (800-367-5320) is a dead number and just gives a busy tone. HI Miles Service Center (877-426-4537) is a false number and just leaves you on hold for hours, which is NOT ACCEPTABLE! There is no Chat button on the website, Texting does not get any response, and Emailing gives an error code. HI Airlines needs to IMPROVE THEIR APP & WEBSITE FUNCTIONALITY and to HIRE MORE CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSONNEL!!!!

Original review: May 8, 2021

Do not use fly Hawaiian Airlines. They are horrible. I need to make a change due to a medical reason and they literally charged me double for my new flights. After further review, I called back 12 hours later and they said, "No we cannot cancel for a refund," despite the fact that the website says cancellations made working 24 hours of books are allowed. They lie and you must read the fine print. It seems like they are desperate for money bc they’re not willing to work with customers during this very difficult time for everyone. What was supposed to be a holiday after 1 year of being in shelter in place, had turned into the most stressful situation ever. I’m so stressed dealing with them. Please save yourself the stress, use any other airline. Your peace of mind is worth more than trying to I totally save a few dollars.

Original review: May 3, 2021

This is the most inconvenient airline thus far. I received a email stating that my flight was canceled, I called to confirm if the information was accurate & had to wait 2 hours. Finally a rep got on the line & told me that my flight wasn’t canceled, it was just a time change on my layover flight. Fast forward to 4 days later. & I received the email again. I called again, this time the wait was an hour.

A rep finally came on the line, & she stated that the information I got a few days ago still was the same, but now my returning flight to come home was completely canceled. Her excuse for the company was that, the flight was overcrowded & for everyone's safety they canceled the flight from Boston to Philadelphia. Not only was that inconvenient it was very stupid of them to just tell me the time changed and my layover flight & not give me the full details of what took place with my entire trip. She didn’t offer me any other options. She simply said I had until 05/12/21 to make a final decision. The other dates I gave her to look up weren’t available, by me being so frustrated & her being frustrated with my frustration. She begin to throw dates out @ me that couldn’t accommodate me. I’m very pissed that I won’t be able to visit the big island. & eventually when I do. I will be very careful about booking with Hawaiian airlines!

Hawaiian Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

Headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines is the eighth-largest commercial airline in the U.S. It has the distinction of being the oldest U.S. carrier to have avoided a fatal crash.

• Island destination: Hawaiian Airlines offers nonstop service to Hawaii. Travelers can book flights from major cities in North America, Asia and the South Pacific.

• VIP club: Buying an annual membership in the Premium Club gives passengers access to early boarding, additional free checked baggage and more.

• Vacation packages: Book a flight to Hawaii and entertainment, such as cruises or tours, all at the same time.

• Regional service: Hawaiian Airlines offers flights into Honolulu and flights between all of the islands for local travel.

• Delightful food and drink: Food and beverages are not only included, they are also delicious. A sommelier and chef choose each menu item and its wine pairing.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information